View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Unfriendly Waters, Wed., July 21

by , July 22nd, 2010 at 11:14 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

As predicted, the only time I had to swim yesterday was during camp-zoo-noodle time. Because I had been out of the water, I did venture to the pool, albeit with much trepidation. At first, the screaming kids were huddled down in the "beach" end of the pool away from the lap lanes. Then they descended on us, taking over 4 lanes and the diving area and removing all the backstroke flags. I had to move out of my favored lane in the deep end. There was one man who appeared to be aqua jogging with fist gloves. I couldn't tell what he was actually trying to accomplish ... But he was gesticulating wildly to displaced swimmers, telling them not to go in his lane. One lane was occupied by a noodler almost as wide as the lane. Another lap swimmer whose lane I tried to join wouldn't stop when I tried to get his attention to share. I find this behavior infuriating and just leapt into the lane in a splashy way. During my warm up, kids came by and helped themselves to my kid board and monofin. WTH?! I wish the life guards would monitor this sort of behavior. A monofin is not a toy. The pool was appalling loud, which has to be one of the most unpleasant ways to work out. I changed my planned workout, and just got through a quick hour or so and left.

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100
    odds = pull, smooth, @ 1:30
    evens - kick fast @ 1:45

50 EZ

24 x 50, done as:

6 x 50, 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ
    6 x 50, 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ
    6 x 50, russian breast drill
    6 x 50, double shooters on belly

100 EZ

Total: 3050

Bike, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say, I am praying for no thunder so that I can go to a real pool tonight. And I will hit the gym today as well. I'm finding it difficult to get into a good routine this summer.

Interesting article on youth sports:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s+travel+teams
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Spinning
  2. Saturday, July 17

by , July 17th, 2010 at 05:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I spent the morning absolutely sweating my ass off at our Saturday A summer league meet for 3.5 hours. I can remember last summer, at times, thinking "where the heat?" This summer, in contrast, has been almost unrelentingly oppressive. The only enjoyable moment was watching Lil Fort, my 9 year old, drop 5 seconds in her 50 meter free. I guess being out of the water for 2+ weeks didn't bother her at all. Didn't see that coming ... I was rather worried I'd be dehydrated, but after lunch I drove to the pool for a mellow recovery workout. I was kicked out of the deep end for a lifeguarding class.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic/Streamlining Set w/MF:

50 x 25 @ 15 or so RI, done as:

10 x 25 belly shooter
    10 x 25 back shooter
    10 x 25 shooter, alternate left and right side
    10 x 25 twirling shoooter
    10 x 25 glide drill + scull

50 EZ

Pull Set:

5 x 200 w/paddles @ 3:00, smooth

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Commentary:

I had been tempted to do Geek's set #3 from today, but I decided to stick to the recovery workout plan and do that set next week. I also think it's time to add in more speed.

I am slightly worried that my usual pool will be closing from August to October 17 for some needed renovation work. Quite a long time. I suspect my other nearby rec pool, Oak Marr, will really be packed in August. GMU is closed the first two weeks of August as well.

I got to chat with Nuthin' But 50s for awhile too. He's aged up this season, is swimming 5x a week and doing 3-4 LC meets this summer. I told him I'd be doing nuthin but 50s at Zones.

Attached are some more pics form Stockholm showing the Royal Palace, the changing of the guards and a couple interior shots of Storkytkan, a 700 year old cathedral with a huge carved statue of St. George & the Dragon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020656.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	6447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020659.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	6448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020660.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	6449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020663.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	6450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020664.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	6451  

3. Drylands + LCM Swim, Thursday, July 15

by , July 15th, 2010 at 11:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    long arm crunches, 1 x 50
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 15
    reverse decline crunches, 2 x 25
    scissors on bosu, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    broad jumps, 1 x 10
    altitude drops, 1 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    seated bicept curls, 40 x 2 x 10
    single arm standing lat pulldown, 55 x 2 x 10, each arm
    wall squats against bosu w/med ball on lap, 2 x 1:00
    plank, 1 x 1:00

usual RC exercises

Had to dash out before doing a second set of some things ...

Swim/LCM/Team:

No thunder tonight!

Warm up:

400 swim
    300 kick
    200 IM drill
    100 scull

Main Sets:

3 x 300 pull @ 4:30

4 x 200 @ 3:30

#1 = 50 fly/100 free/50 fly
    #2 = 50 back/100 free/50 back
    #3 = 50 breast/100 free/50 breast
    #4 = 50 stroke choice/100 free/50 choice

I used fins (b/c of fly) and substituted a 100 backstroke kick for the 100 free on all of them. I did fly on #4. LC fly didn't feel quite as dreadful as I feared it would be.

50 EZ

5 x 100 kick @ 2:20
    25 with board held vertically like a tombstone + 75 regular kick

I did backstroke kick, no fins, on all of them. Long course kicking without fins is a very tedious endeavor indeed. Mental note to bring my monofin to the next practice.

50 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP off the blocks + 150 EZ)

Instead of going off the blocks (calves were slightly crampy), I did 3 x 50 fly with fins from a push. I went 28, 28 and 29. I was somewhat surprised by these times, faster than I expected. My fly feels slightly choppy though.

Total: 3900 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I may be getting back in some semblance of swimming shape. I always do much more freestyle in LC. I feel like I get more into a groove without all the flip turns.

There is some progress on the GMUP front. Apparently, there was enough hue & cry from team members to persuade the powers that be not to outright terminate the team. We're discussing options, and there may be one fairly promising one. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Fingers crossed.

Down in Dollywood, Fort Son's team did respectably well in prelims and moved on to the next round. Unfortunately, for lightweights, there is no junior division, so his boat is rowing against college teams who dole out "punishment." (Not sure why there is this type of discrimination against lightweights in rowing.) His boat is also too light. For lightweights, the boat average is a max 155. His boat average is 143, a huge difference. In fact, Fort Son has been losing weight this summer with rowing doubles & gym sessions. He needs to gain some weight or have a growth spurt soon. Any ideas for fattening him up? (Conversely, Mini Fort is on the Jazz Hands swim plan -- hit the gym and swim 1x a week.)

Here are some more St. Petersburg pics. The first and last one were from the canal tour. The middle three are of Peterhof Palace, built by Catherine the Great as her summer palace. The fountains there are amazing. The middle one depicts Peter the Great as Neptune, defeating the enemy while his allies (the turtles) refuse to help and thus slink away from the battle scene.

Updated July 15th, 2010 at 11:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Name:	P1020504.jpg 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	6437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020523.jpg 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	6438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020525.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	6439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020515.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	6440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020486.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	6441  

4. Free Agent + Aborted LCM Practice

by , July 13th, 2010 at 10:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I travelled out to GMU tonight for the LC practice. About 30 minutes in, there was thunder. Since GMU's thunder/lightening protection system is broken, we had to get out of the pool. I hadn't even done 1500 meters since I was slightly late. And I was bummed because I chose to only do one workout today and that was it. So it basically became a worthless long drive and an unscheduled rest day when I'm trying to get back in swimming shape. I finally felt half way decent in the water too ... Even more depressing was the brief team meeting we had after getting out, the summary of which is:

1. Our excellent coaches are out/fired.
    2. Our Saturday practice is gone b/c of an alleged conflict of interest with the college team. This is true political BS.
    3. Our Tuesday/Thursday night lanes will likely go to a USA-S team. In fact, they may already have been rented out. GMU has planned to cancel the masters team since June, but only now got around to telling us.
    4. Not sure about the 4:45 am practices, but those may be gone too or with some other coach.
    5. Zones is still on, as it's a fund raiser for the college team. I'm inclined to boycott that meet anyway, and I may be in Boston then.
    6. The Sprint Classic in October is only happening if the PV LMSC hosts the meet, which they could afford to.

It's a sad day when a masters team that has won national and zone championships and has world-national-zone record holders, AAs and AA relays, TTs, serious swimmers and competitive OW and triathletes is just canned ... without the courtesy of investigating a compromise or even a heads up. Of course, we can still run a meet as a fund raiser for their team.

Bottom line: As Patrick noted yesterday, it's time for me to become a free agent swim whore. This, however, is not my natural milieu. I tend to be a team loyalist.

Off to watch TdF.

Updated July 13th, 2010 at 11:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Monday, July 12

by , July 12th, 2010 at 10:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike

I was up late last night and woke up extremely groggy. I decided to hop on the bike for 30 minutes to attempt to wake up (after coffee of course). It seemed to work fairly well. (I tried this tactic on vacation once, but had to abort the effort. lol)

Drylands (at home):

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    scissors, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    elevated push ups, 2 x 15
    med ball slams, 2 x 15
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 15
    rock star plyo, 1 x 10
    arm circles, 4 x 50

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I stole a couple sets from a Laurel workout from Tall Paul's workout thread again:

Warm up:

700 various

Kick-Swim:

5 x 200 w/fins @ 3:00

#1 = 200 swim
    #2 = 50 kick/150 swim
    #3 = 100 kick/100 swim
    #4 = 150 kick/50 swim
    #5 = 200 kick

swims = backstroke; kick = backstroke kick
    descended them to 2:20, nothing too fast

50 EZ

Main Set:

1 x 300 pull @ 4:30
    4 x 100 russian breaststroke @ 2:00
    1 x 200 pull @ 3:00
    6 x 75 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    1 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    8 x 50:
    odds = scull @ 1:15
    evens = dolphin kick @ 1:00

50 EZ

Total: 3600

Commentary:

Still waiting to feel good in the water ... The only thing that feels good at the moment is kicking, breast and free w/paddles. Backstroke feels ghastly, and that's usually my easiest stroke. I guess it's only been my 4th swim since returning from vacation. Hoping to go to LC practice tomorrow night.

On the masters team front, our team captain is meeting with the staff from the Aquatic Center, but I am not optimistic. I still think it's short sighted to can such a successful masters team. If GMU terminates the team in its current form, I will ask the Little Devil to switch me to unattached status for the time being. Although I guess I haven't competed for GMUP since Nats, so my 60 day period (or is it 90?) prior to joining another team (I think that's the rule) will expire soon.

I thought our Monday night SL meet would be cancelled due to thunder & lightening, but we managed to squeeze it in. It was an intra-squad boys v. girls meet, which is always fun and good for trash talking and cheers. I had a rare night off from DQ-ing kids. And Lil Fort was happy because, despite missing 1/3 of the swim season, she had two PBs. That's how points are totaled -- most PBs. "Girls rule, boys drool!"

I said goodbye to FortSon for a week; he's heading to TN for rowing Nats. Mr. Fort is gone for work as well, so it's just me and the girls this week. I think I will be very lazy on the cooking front.

My sister, who is quite athletic, went on a cool vacation in Coronado CA this summer -- http://www.getawayfitness.com/programs.html. An am jog and yoga on the beach ... I might wake up for that.

Continuing with my travel pics, I've attached 5 pics from Rostock Germany, which is Germany's largest Baltic port. The church (pics 1, 4, 5) is St. Mary's Cathedral, a gothic cathedral from the 13th century. The other building is the town hall with a splashy baroque facade. And the street is a main street off Market Square.

Updated July 12th, 2010 at 11:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Name:	P1020380.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	6427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020398.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	6428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020404.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	6429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020407.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	6430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020409.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	6431  

6. Sunday, July 11

by , July 11th, 2010 at 07:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I stole this workout from Tall Paul's workout thread from a couple days ago. He called it the "heathen" workout, a denomination which admittedly attracted me to it, though I have no idea why it was given this label.

Warm up:

700 various

Pull Set:

6 x 150 w/paddles @ 2:15

Main Set:

4 x 100 kick, no fins, descend @ 2:00
    4 x 50 fly drill @ 1:00 (did glide + caterpillar drills)
    4 x 75 kick w/MF, descend @ 1:15
    4 x 50 back @ 1:00 (did glide + roll back drills)
    4 x 50 kick, no fins, descend @ 1:00
    4 x 50 breast pull, used buoy @ 1:00
    4 x 25 shooters w/MF, descend @ :40
    4 x 50 free drill @ 1:00 (did underwater recovery & good swimmer drill)

50 EZ

Total: 3450

Commentary:

For some reason, this workout left me ridiculously tired. The middle of my back was also slightly sore from yesterday's workouts. That's quite strange as usually it's my lats and delts that are sore. Wonder what I did? In any event, I was very happy to come home, sprawl on the couch and do nothing except watch soccer.

I've attached a few pictures from Tallinn Estonia. Tallinn is a perfectly preserved medieval city that is a "living museum." Lil Fort is sitting in the 14th century Controvento restaurant on one of the most charming and romantic streets I've ever seen.

Summer Salads:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles...tm_medium=feed

Updated July 11th, 2010 at 10:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts

Name:	P1020539.jpg 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	6423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020567.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	6424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020578.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	6425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020597.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	6426  
  7. Friday, July 9

by , July 9th, 2010 at 06:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters
    odds = belly
    evens = back

Main Set:

6 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:30
    4 x 50 flutter kick, no fins @ :50
    50 scull

4 x 100 fly drill @ 1:40
    4 x 50 double shooter w/MF @ 1:00
    50 scull

6 x 100 kick-swim (50 flutter kick-50 free) w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 scull

4 x 100 breast w/MF @ 1:40
    50 scull

50 EZ

Total: 3850

Commentary:

Still feeling fairly nasty and trying to get feel for the water back. I didn't bother with anything fast today. Right now, it would be futile and counter-productive. I seem to recall after my 2 weeks post-Nats hiatus that it took me 4-5 days before I did any speed work.

I'm going to have to change my usual early-to-mid afternoon solo swim time. The rec center has been invaded by summer campers and it was a zoo. Only 3 lanes for lap swimming, no backstroke flags and I had to share with 2 different noodlers. Hoping I can shift swimming to post 3:30 pm, but I have to see if that will work with picking Mini Fort up from work and getting her to volleyball camp ... Might not ... Hmm ... I wonder if OakMarr is also a kid zoo? If so, I may need to travel to GMU during lap swim hours.

Other random thoughts:

1. How much faster does one go per 100 with paddles than without?

2. I am enjoying returning to my breakfast smoothies. I was smoothie deprived on vacation.

3. I didn't gain a lick of weight on vacation with less exercise and more food. Similarly, I didn't lose anything on my detox. This would tend to confirm my "set point" theory of weight. Of course, both instances were limited to 2 weeks.

4. I still need to sign up for Zones. I will likely stick with the 4 x 50s. I'm rather dreading doing a 50 evil LC sans suit though. Warm up is at 7:30 on Sunday. Yikes, really early for me for a pool 40 minutes from my house ...

5. My vacation buddies are urging Fort fam to go on another June vacation next year. Very tempting, but that would really mess with my plan to go to Auburn LCM Nats. On the other hand, I seemed to bounce back reasonably quickly after my 2 weeks of viral malaise. But LC is a different animal ...

6. I need to gear up and start my TRX regimen. But I'm feeling rather unmotivated wrt drylands at the moment.

7. I am not so fond of this weather. No idea how triathletes and runners can train in it. It is suffocatingly hot and humid. After being outside all the time for 2 weeks, I now don't feel like leaving the house! The only sane place to be is the beach in this weather.

8. I am officially calling out Geek for welching on his bet. I have seen no video evidence of the promised nekked 200 fly.

9. Where oh where is Wolf Girl?

10. I just read in Bicycle magazine that Lance Armstrong is only 5'8". I somehow thought he was taller. No wonder he quit swimming!

11. Couple pics from Oslo below.

Article:

Why keep a training blog:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...tm_medium=feed

Updated July 9th, 2010 at 11:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts

Name:	P1020274.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	6414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020297.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	6415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020308.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	6416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020325.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	6417  
  8. Friday, July 9

by , July 9th, 2010 at 06:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters
    odds = belly
    evens = back

Main Set:

6 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 scull

4 x 100 fly drill @ 1:40
    50 scull

6 x 100 kick-swim (50 flutter kick-50 free) w/paddles @ 1:30
    50 scull

4 x 100 breast w/MF @ 1:40
    50 scull

50 EZ

Total: 3850

Commentary:

Still feeling fairly nasty and trying to get feel for the water back. I didn't bother with anything fast today. Right now, it would be futile and counter-productive. I seem to recall after my 2 weeks post-Nats hiatus that it took me 4-5 days before I did any speed work.

I'm going to have to change my usual early-to-mid afternoon solo swim time. The rec center has been invaded by summer campers and it was a zoo. Only 3 lanes for lap swimming, no backstroke flags and I had to share with 2 different noodlers. Hoping I can shift swimming to post 3:30 pm, but I have to see if that will work with picking Mini Fort up from work and getting her to volleyball camp ... Might not ... Hmm ... I wonder if OakMarr is also a kid zoo? If so, I may need to travel to GMU during lap swim hours.

Other random thoughts:

1. How much faster does one go per 100 with paddles than without?

2. I am enjoying returning to my breakfast smoothies. I was smoothie deprived on vacation.

3. I didn't gain a lick of weight on vacation with less exercise and more food. Similarly, I didn't lose anything on my detox. This would tend to confirm my "set point" theory of weight. Of course, both instances were limited to 2 weeks.

4. I still need to sign up for Zones. I will likely stick with the 4 x 50s. I'm rather dreading doing a 50 evil LC sans suit though. Warm up is at 7:30 on Sunday. Yikes, really early for me for a pool 40 minutes from my house ...

5. My vacation buddies are urging Fort fam to go on another June vacation next year. Very tempting, but that would really mess with my plan to go to Auburn LCM Nats. On the other hand, I seemed to bounce back reasonably quickly after my 2 weeks of viral malaise. But LC is a different animal ...

6. I need to gear up and start my TRX regimen. But I'm feeling rather unmotivated wrt drylands at the moment.

7. I am not so fond of this weather. No idea how triathletes and runners can train in it. It is suffocatingly hot and humid. After being outside all the time for 2 weeks, I now don't feel like leaving the house! The only sane place to be is the beach in this weather.

8. I am officially calling out Geek for welching on his bet. I have seen no video evidence of the nekked 200 fly.

9. Where oh where is Wolf Girl?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Body in Shock, July 8

by , July 8th, 2010 at 11:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Showing an amazing amount of hubris, I journeyed to my team LC practice at GMU tonight.

Warm up:

50 crunches
    50 bicycles
    50 flutter kicks
    20 lunges (I did plyo lunges)
    20 chest passes w/med ball
    20 tricep passes w/med ball

400 swim
    300 kick
    200 stroke
    100 scull

Main Sets:

6 times through:

75 kick @ mod pace @ 1:50
    75 swim, ascend by 25s, start fast from middle of pool @ 1:30 (I did these 25 moderately fast and 50 cruise)
    swim = free, fly, free, back, free, breast

50 EZ

2 x 250 pull, 40 RI
    (This was supposed to follow some breathing pattern, but I just breathed every stroke as usual in LC.)

50 EZ

10 x 100 @ 1:50
    odds = 75 free + 25 stroke fast
    evens = 75 stroke + 25 free fast

I did the set with fins and did the evens flutter kick averaging around 1:15. Got a cramp on #8.

50 EZ

1 x 50 fast from blocks
    (I passed on this, too crampy. Should have taken endurolytes.)

200 EZ

Total: 3700

Commentary:

I survived my 2nd LC workout of the season. To facilitate this survival, I showed an uncharacteristic restraint in approaching the workout. I tried to ease in and have something left for the last set. As expected, my feel for the water was gone and I had no speed. I felt like I was swimming through jello. And also as expected, my leg endurance was better than my arm endurance. Hence, the substituted kicking in the last set. My freestyle felt positively vomitous. It was as if I was doing some other stroke. It felt much smoother with paddles, but I guess that's typical.

It's rather a shock getting back to the grind. I spent a major portion of the day driving around, purchasing copious amounts of food, and feeding hungry kids. Lil Fort is back at summer swim and doing soccer camp. Mini Fort is raking in major bucks from lifeguarding and teaching private swim lessons. She is in volleyball camps at Mason for the next two weeks, and only swimming in SL meets this summer (no swim practices). Fort Son (who did not vacation with us b/c of rowing -- doubles every day and a nap in between) is doing very well. He made the competitive rowing team roster and also made their travel team. He leaves for Nationals in Tennessee on Monday, rowing in a lightweight 4. And I'm back to deeking kids again on Saturday. Not sure how I got roped into doing this on my birthday, but at least it's a relatively short meet.

Article:

A friend send me this article today about a masters cyclist who spent 8 months trying banned PEDs to write about the experience: http://outside.away.com/outside/body...ug_test_1.html. Perhaps Jimby should do this as well.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Monday, June 21

by , June 21st, 2010 at 11:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

16 x 25 shooters w/MF
    belly, left side, right side, back

Main Sets:

10 x 100 kick-pull @ 1:30
    50 free kick on side (left, right) + 50 free w/paddles & fins

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (went 23.5-24)
    1 X 50 EZ
    1:00 vertical breast kick

6 x 100 @ 1:50
    odds = breast pull
    evens = russian breast drill
    (focused on not undulating on pull down)

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (23.5)
    1 x 50 EZ

10 x 100 kick-swim @ 1:30
    odds = 50 dolphin kick w/board + 50 single arm fly
    evens = 50 back kick + 50 back

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 fast breast w/fins (cramped, went 31+)
    1 x 50 EZ

6 x 100 @ 1:30
    free pull w/paddles

100 EZ

Total: 4750

Commentary:

Posting this after the longest Monday night summer league meet ever ... The team had to get a special exemption to keep the pool open longer, the two teams were so big. I am dead from standing for so long in the heat. Lots of breaststroke DQs as usual. It's amazing the bizarre stuff you see on the evilstroke -- one kid took 4 breaststroke kicks while still fully submerged on the start. I had to DQ a fast USA kid because he was fully submerged before touching the wall on his backstroke finish. The kids think it's cool to have to that long dive to the finish, but it can be illegal.

I felt much better in the pool today after eating more normally yesterday (and retoxing ). I was pretty surprised I still had good speed on my AFAP 50 backs. Actually, I felt like I had good leg speed, but not good arm speed.

As my vaca approaches, I am somewhat bummed I have to be out of the water for another 2 weeks. I feel like I am just getting back in shape. And I know 2 weeks out of the pool, even with other exercise, will require a new start up period. And Jimby has warned me this is NOT a good thing. Oh well, at least my shoulders will be well rested.

I am frighteningly busy the next 2 days, but hope to get in a quick gym session tomorrow and go to my first LC practice of the season tomorrow night. I'm sure that will be a kick in the pants.

I need to pack ... I abhor packing.

Updated June 21st, 2010 at 11:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Monday, June 21

by , June 21st, 2010 at 11:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

16 x 25 shooters w/MF
    belly, left side, right side, back

Main Sets:

10 x 100 kick-pull @ 1:30
    50 free kick on side (left, right) + 50 free w/paddles & fins

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (went 23.5-24)
    1 X 50 EZ

6 x 100 @ 1:50
    odds = breast pull
    evens = russian breast drill
    (focused on not undulating on pull down)

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (23.5)
    1 x 50 EZ

10 x 100 kick-swim @ 1:30
    odds = 50 dolphin kick w/board + 50 single arm fly
    evens = 50 back kick + 50 back

1 x 50 scull
    1 x 50 fast breast w/fins (cramped, went 31+)
    1 x 50 EZ

6 x 100 @ 1:30
    free pull w/paddles

100 EZ

Total: 4750

Commentary:

Posting this after the longest Monday night meet ever ... The team had to get a special exemption to keep the pool open longer, the two teams were so big. I am dead from standing for so long in the heat. Lots of breaststroke DQs as usual. It's amazing the bizarre stuff you see on the evilstroke -- one kid took 4 breaststroke kicks while still fully submerged on the start. I had to DQ a fast USA kid because he was fully submerged before touching the wall on his backstroke finish. The kids think it's cool to have to that long dive to the finish, but it can be illegal.

I felt much better in the pool today after eating more normally yesterday (and retoxing ). I was pretty surprised I still had good speed on my AFAP 50 backs. Actually, I felt like I had good leg speed, but not good arm speed.

As my vaca approaches, I am somewhat bummed I have to be out of the water for another 2 weeks. I feel like I am just getting back in shape. And I know 2 weeks out of the pool, even with other exercise, will require a new start up period. Oh well, at least my shoulders will be well rested.

I am frighteningly busy the next 2 days, but hope to get in a quick gym session tomorrow and go to my first LC practice of the season tomorrow night. I'm sure that will be a kick in the pants.

I need to pack ... I abhor packing.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Swim + Detox Over! Sunday, June 20

by , June 21st, 2010 at 10:01 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Friday:

Blew Speedo off, as he reported on his blog. Just had zero energy on day 8 of detox.

Saturday:

No chance for exercise. Spent the entire day getting fried on soccer fields and sitting in a dance recital. I think Lil Fort is going to forsake dance for another sport. Fine with me, I don't like costume sports much and have no aptitude for being a stage mother.

I have no idea how people run in this heat. The heat has really zapped any desire I might have had to run. It's just too freakin' hot. I'm glad I'm headed somewhere where the temp is 70ish during the day.

Sunday:

More soccer and then:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = fly drill
    evens = breast drill

Main Set:

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:20
    50 EZ
    2 x (4 x 25 fast @ :30), 1:00 rest between sets of 4, did breast
    50 EZ
    5 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 1:20
    50 EZ
    2 x (4 x 25 fast @ :30), 1:00 rest between sets of 4, did fly
    50 EZ
    5 x 100 back w/paddles @ 1:20
    50 EZ

Technique/Recovery Set:

5 x 150 @ :15-20 RI
    done as 50 scull + 50 chest press fly + 50 fly kick on side

50 EZ

Total: 3950

Commentary:

Relieved to be done with detox! I only cheated once: I had to have a cup of coffee on Sunday morning (day 10) after getting up early both weekend days for soccer. Q is right. Breakfast is just better with coffee. And it's nice to be eating some real food again. I've had more energy the last couple days even with much less sleep.

I hope to get a couple swims in the next few days before I embark on my 2 week vaca swim fast. I meant to get started on TRX, but I'm just too busy right now to focus on something new. I'll have to get started later this summer. I plan on signing up for the Colonies Zones LC and the B2B tri before I go. I heard the half iron was already full, so I hope it's not too late for an iron relay. From what I gather, the relays spots fill up more slowly.

Here's the lineup for CZ: https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/m...1553&smid=2490. As Chris noted on his blog, it's not favorable to fly-back swimmers. I was thinking of swimming the 100 back, but don't think it's doable as it's squashed between 50 fly and 50 free on Saturday and I just wouldn't get enough rest. This meet is much smaller than the SCY meet and runs fast. So I will probably just stick with the 4 50s and hope to get in a relay or two. Alternatively, I could mull over the options for doing a split request.

I'm gearing up for my first very long summer league meet tonight (2 big teams with a zillion 8 & unders). Probably going to have to DQ more flyers than usual with this new interpretation of the butterfly rule:

"Article 101.3.2 requires that, in the butterfly stroke, “both arms” must be brought forward “over the water" and pulled back simultaneously. For purposes of Article 101.3.2, as it relates to the recovery of the arms in the butterfly stroke, it is the interpretation of the USA Swimming Rules & Regulations Committee that the “arm” is that portion of the body which extends from the shoulder to the wrist. It is also the interpretation of the Committee that "over the water" means that the arm, as defined above, must break the surface of the water during the recovery phase of each stroke."

Updated June 21st, 2010 at 10:57 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Swim, Thursday, June 17

by , June 17th, 2010 at 10:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = fly drill
    evens = breast drill

100 scull

Main set:

3 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00
    cruise, fast @ 80%, cruise

4 x 50 single arm fly

3 x 100 breast w/MF @ 2:00

4 x 50 back w/paddles @ :50

3 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00

4 x 50 russian breast drill

50 EZ

Pull set:

5 x 150 free w/paddles @ 2:30

I just cruised, trying to focus on head position and kicking through my breath. I also, maybe for one of the first times ever, focused on body roll in freestyle. OMG, I had much better DPS and the tiniest ephemeral glimpse into the mindset of a 200 freestyler. I'm so used to only sprinting free, that I've completely forgotten this "gait" as Swimsuit Addict would call it. I find it rather hard to "lope" in paddles though; I swim more symmetrically with them on.

50 EZ

Total: 3150

Commentary:

*&%$##@&^*%$$$!!!

Detox sucks! I am just dead, and dead in the water. Very enervated. I had planned on doing more kicking today, but my legs were sore from Kenpo and my left hamstring was, to use Stud's terms, ever so slightly dodgy. I only went about :56 on my quasi fast dolphin kicks, which is fairly slow for me. I just had no fast gear or any energy. So broccoli stalks and pears are not a good training diet. Tomorrow, I get to add back more fruits and veggies and white rice. Woohoo! (sarcasm)

On the upside, my GI symptoms have resolved, and I feel like I've lost weight. Probably haven't; I'm likely just not bloated from whatever food I'm intolerant of. Since I've eliminated gluten largely, I think it's milk products such as whey and casein that are the culprit. I'm inclined to get tested for food allergies when I return from vacation. I just fear that that could produce some false positives, and there's enough food I already have to avoid.

So, I'm re-ditching anything with whey protein in it, and sticking with hemp protein:

"Manitoba Harvest Hemp PRO 70is easy for the body to digest and assimilate because it doesn’t contain gluten or added sugars, and it’s free of the enzyme inhibitor found in soy and other legumes and grains that can prevent protein absorption and cause bloating and digestive challenges. Unlike many other protein powders on the market today, hemp is not known to be an allergen for people with food sensitivities. Hemp PRO 70 has been made without the use of Hexane, a petrochemical commonly used to make soy and other protein isolates."

I think my Proasis shots look safe as well: https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryDisplay. Most other protein shots contain whey.

On a related note, I chatted with a mom with a gluten intolerance while supervising the "Roman Shot Put" at my third grader's end of the school year Olympic party. She said that Whole Foods was now stocking a gluten free bread that is actually edible, called Udi's. I bought some today to try. In fact, it may be the first thing I have on Day 9 of the detox when I can add back grains. I'm dying for some carbs!

I may just take tomorrow off if I'm feeling this way again and do some last minute shopping/errands for vacation. But Saturday looks bleak for exercise too with a soccer tournament and a dance recital. I may compromise and do P90X Stretch or P90X Yoga or another of my yoga DVDs. I think hot yoga would not be the best option, as it's so taxing.

My shoulders/back can feel the paddle work. Not in a scary, my RCs are hurt way; just in a fatigued sort of way.

Exercise Not Enough To Lose Weight:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4656acf.html

Sugar Free Foods Suck:

http://www.latimes.com/news/health/l...,7648192.story

Updated June 17th, 2010 at 10:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Zonked, Monday, June 14

by , June 14th, 2010 at 11:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, getting up early without coffee sucks.

That sentence deserved a whole paragraph. I had a boatload to do today and am only just sitting down now. I had an hour to work out. I had thought, perhaps, I'd do some kicking or speed work. No dice. I was dead in the water. My legs were sore from yesterday's double with yoga. And I had no energy -- possibly from the detox or from the accumulated week of work after my 2 week viral malaise. So, instead of being Fort-like, I decided to be Rich Abrahams-like and do a very SLOW recovery workout, keeping my heart rate way below normal. I left my monofin in the car. It went thusly:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Technique Set:

9 x 50 fly drills
    1-3 = chest press fly
    4-6 = caterpillar
    7-9 = single arm

6 x 50 evil
    odds = evil pull w/buoy
    evens = evil kick on back

Main Loafer Set:

8 x through:

1 x 100 free w/paddles
    1 x 50 breast w/buoy

I thought about doing the 50s as double shooters. Tried one, no way, legs too tired.

50 EZ

Total: 2600

Commentary:

I think my lack of energy is likely detox related. And I'm really looking forward to 4 days of only having Ultra/Adva Clear + pears, apples, lettuce and broccoli. It will be an exciting trip to the grocery store tomorrow. I just hope my energy level isn't like this for the whole time. I'm kind of busy with the kids, and have some very important shopping & reading to do.

Since I emerged from my virus/malais ridden bed, I've done the following the last 8 days:

1 x run
    5 x swim (18,400)
    1 x dryland
    1 x yoga

I saw that it might dip below 90 degrees tomorrow, so I'm hopeful for a run.

Updated June 15th, 2010 at 10:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Swim + Yoga, Sunday, June 13

by , June 13th, 2010 at 09:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I was feeling more energetic today, so I did a more Fort like workout with some speed here and there.

Warm up:

600 various

Hypoxic-Speed Set:

4 x through:

6 x 25s
    1 & 6 = EZ
    2-5 = shooters w/MF (belly, left side, right side, back)

1 x 50 fast double shooter, descend the 4 50s
    (went 26, 24, 21, maybe around 21 -- wiped out goggles and nose clip on the last one)

50 EZ

Aerobic-Technique Set:

2 x through:

4 x 100
    odds = free w/paddles @ :15 RI
    evens = russian breast drill @ :15 RI

4 x 50
    odds = backstroke w/paddles @ :15 RI
    evens = front scull w/paddles @ :15 RI

8 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy DAB

50 EZ

Mini-Speed Set:

4 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 3550/1000 kicking

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

Went to hot yoga at 6:00 while Mr. Fort sat through Lil Fort's dress rehearsal. I was sweating like a banshee today, worst ever. Either the room was over 110 or I'm not used to it after a couple weeks off. If I had the time, I'd go every day for the rest of my detox period, but I don't see that happening ... Also, I might die of boredom. No idea how some people do it every day or 2x a day.

Detox/ExFuze:

The detox is coming along pretty well. I'm on day 3 where you have eliminated all refined sugars, caffeine, artificial crap, meat & fish, dairy, eggs and gluten. I'm still allowed to eat rice or quinoa today. Don't know if I'll bother. lol. Thus far, I have only a very minor headache from the caffeine withdrawal. I haven't been caffeine free since breast feeding my second child 15 years ago. I'm anticipating that days 5-9 can only eat certain veggies and fruits will be more brutal. I've been having a lot of salads -- the lettuces and basil in my garden is delicious -- and I've discovered a liking for shelled pistachios, which are great for you. http://www.truthaboutabs.com/pistach...-benefits.html.

I did make the mistake of trying mozarella cheese again the other day. Even with lactase enzymes, big mistake. I will have to stick with only eating aged cheeses, as my lactose intolerance does not seem to be improving. Oh well, lesson learned. I probably should re-test aged cheese also, in case it's a milk protein intolerance.

I've also been taking the 7 Proformance Exfuze. First off, it's quite delicious! I put it in my smoothies for 5 days and had a 1 oz shot at night. Now, I've just been taking it at night. I'm not sure I've been able to really notice any of the supposed effects such as improved energy and mood yet. http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...ds-687352.html. I feel better, but I've been recovering from an illness. On the other hand, I have noticed I've been sleeping better and more deeply despite going off my sleep meds; I've been having the most vivid dreams. And I'm feeling fairly energetic today despite the detox/cleanse. It's possible the 7 Exfuze is helping counter those symptoms. I suppose I'd really have to try it for 3 weeks when I'm not messing around with other variables to assess its efficacy better. But, this was the best time for the detox planning wise.

New Running Shoes:

I went to the Potomac River Running Store today to buy new running shoes. I decided to go there rather than order on line because I haven't been terribly thrilled with the fit of my last couple pairs of running shoes (Mizuno, Saucony). Since my last visit, they've installed a machine that electronically measures and analyzes your feet/stance. Then I tried out various pairs of shoes with varying degrees of support on the treadmill where they watch your feet on a nearby television. I apparently have a fairly rigid arch and strong ankles (tested with one legged squats), so I don't need the motion control shoes I've used in the past. I also don't over-pronate or under-pronate, and am completely neutral. Good news, I guess. I ended up purchasing The Asics Gel-Nimbus 10, which has great cushioning for my type of foot. Can't wait to give it a try. Felt like a great fit. I'm hoping the gel cushioning will be adequate to support my right metatarsal area in my right foot. I went up a half size in this shoe.

I noticed they are stocking the Skins recovery tights in the store now. I did wear mine the earlier this week after my mega kicking session. I felt like my legs were less sore than they normally would have been. The research is, of course, completely inconclusive on whether the tights actually help or are a placebo. I do know quite a few athletes that love them.

I also took the opportunity to stock up on Endurolytes while there. I took 3 before yoga.

Recovery:

This is the text of an email Fort Son got from his rowing coach wrt recovery. Good stuff!

"Gentlemen: I've talked a bit over the last few days about how to manage your body during these high-intensity training cycles, but I wanted to get something out to you all in writing as well to reinforce the most important points. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the single most important factor in determining the success the summer training program will be the manner in which you manage your health and wellness. The way you manage your body during the high-intensity segments of the training program will be vital to prevent injury during the on-cycle, and the way you encourage recovery during the light days between will determine whether you recoup sufficiently to attack the next phase of summer training.

Diet:
    Calorie burn is not a factor for us at this point. Most of you are burning 2000-2500 calories per day during practice time alone, so your volume of food intake should not be a concern, except to make sure that you are eating enough. The crucial point is to manage WHAT you are eating, and to make sure that you are getting good value out of your meals.
    - Protein. Rowing, like any endurance activity, tears muscle fibers. The body needs to rebuild these fibers, and the key building block in muscle is protein. Fish, chicken, lean red meat are all obvious sources for protein (and fish has other significant health benefits), but some other high-protein food items are peanut butter, soy milk, whole wheat bread and broccoli.
    - anti-inflammitories in food. Muscle soreness and inflammation are often precursors to actual muscle injury. Certain foods have anti-inflammatory properties which can help to keep soreness and swelling in check without the need for medication. Cherries and blueberries are excellent sources of both anti-inflammitories and anti-oxidants, and fatty fish such as salmon is also an excellent source for these substances.
    - general eating. In addition to seeking out foods for specific needs, stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Foods which contain large amounts of processed sugar or saturated fats will make you feel full but won't give you the building blocks your body needs. Filling yourself with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean meats is the bottom line as far as healthy eating is concerned.
    - multi-vitamins. As I mentioned yesterday, nutritionists go back and forth on the absolute value of various vitamins, but there are no studies that indicate a negative value to taking a moderate amount of a full-spectrum multi-vitamin. Vitamin C and B are both used by the body to make connective tissue, and are thus necessary to help the body repair damage. In general, its an easy way to cover your bets and make sure you are getting everything you need in your diet.

Post-Practice nutrition: This is important enough to get its own category. Over the last 5 or 6 years, numerous studies have concluded that athletes who take in easily digested carbohydrates and protein within 30 minutes of the end of practice not only recover better, but actually grow stronger at a faster rate than those who do not get nutrition in this 30-minute window. We are not talking about small gains, either - in some studies the difference in strength and/or endurance gained over the course of a month varied by 20% between those who took post practice nutrition and those who did not. There are a number of substances that will do the job, and fortunately there is a new option which is relatively cheap and easily obtained. Gatorade now sells a post-practice recovery version which has the correct balance of protein and carbohydrates. There are other options: chocolate milk is fine, though its hard to keep cold, and Endurox R4 is excellent, but it's expensive. I would personally recommend that you toss a bottle of the Gatorade (either the regular Gatorade 03 or the Gatorade Pro 03) in your backpack and drink it right after we get off the water.

Stretching, warming up and cooling down:
    As I mentioned above, we are pushing your bodies very hard during this work cycle. Just as you need to eat well to give your body what it needs to recover, you need to properly prepare your body to do work, and properly warm down afterwards.
    - Stretching and warming up. To adequately prepare for a full-pressure rowing practice, you need to spend at least 15 minutes stretching and 5 minutes spinning the erg. (If you bike to practice, you can forgo the erg). Stretching pre-practice does little for general flexibility, but it does begin to warm the muscles, and help to identify and ease sore or tight spots on the body. If you are encountering significant muscle tightness, particularly in the back or lats, you may want to stretch in the shower, and use hot water to massage the tight areas. TBC has an excellent shower room; it is not a bad idea to stretch and warm any possible trouble spots before practice.
    - Cooling down. Post practice, stretch again. This helps to cool the body down after work, and can go along way towards preventing soreness and muscle tightness the next day. Unlike pre-practice stretching, post-practice stretching WILL increase your overall flexibility, and it has been proven again and again that flexible athletes suffer less injury than their less-flexible counterparts.
    -Ice trouble spots. If any muscles feel particularly sore or tight, ice them at the end of practice for 15-20 minutes and again sometime in the evening. Don't use ice before practice, but hit anything that feels at all tight afterwards.

Other recovery techniques-
    - Massage. If you have time during the recovery period, and a bit of money available, look into getting a massage. There is a massage school on Wisconsin Ave that does $35 student massages and $55 professional massages; their website is www.pmti.org. Deep tissue massage is really what you are looking for to get the benefit of muscle relaxation and increased circulation.
    - Leg elevation. If you keep you legs elevated above the heart for 15-20 minutes at a stretch (you can do this while watching tv or napping, for example) you can get a boost to circulation, as well as helping byproducts of muscle work to clear out of the legs more quickly.
    - REST. Sleep heals, and good sleep heals more than bad sleep. A couple ways to get better sleep:
    1. Complete darkness. Even a scrap of light can affect sleep quality, so try and turn off or cover all light sources, even the light from a clock.
    2. Wake up naturally. If possible during off days, don't set an alarm clock - just go to bed at a good time (10-10:30 PM at the latest) and let yourself wake up when the body is ready.

You are all on the road to becoming elite athletes. This stuff is all background, but it is the foundational lifestyle work that enables you to perform at a high level. We all see olympic rowing, and can appreciate the power and technique that those individuals have developed. What isn't visible, but is nonetheless present, is the regimen that all of those athletes use to keep themselves performing at a high level. What also isn't visible is the hundreds or thousands of athletes who had the physical potential to compete at that level but did not maintain themselves well enough, and were thus sidelined by injury or simple lack of recovery speed.
    Put as much energy into your recovery as you put into your active training, and we're going to have an awesomely fast summer."

Updated June 13th, 2010 at 10:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  16. Not Very Sprinterly! June 10

by , June 10th, 2010 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    My Thursday training partner Speedo has the dread viral malaise. So I journeyed to the rec center do a long solo workout today. I was debating between Geek's sets today or Ande's main set. I opted for Ande's, as I don't really feel like IM work right now and I won't swim one maybe until December.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

Technique Work:

30 x 50 w/MF, done as:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = breast, working on lunging
    evens = chest press fly

double shooters, breath at the turn
    just cruised, working on streamlining (went 27-29s)

odds = breast, working on lunging
    evens = chest press fly

50 EZ

Main Set:

8 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:30

4 x 50, flutter kick w/board @ :50
    #3 @ 85% effort

8 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = backstroke w/8, 8, 9, 10 SDKs per 25
    evens = dolphin kick w/board
    (started getting a little tired and hungry at the end of this set)

4 x 50, single arm fly @ :50

8 x 100 free w/paddles & fins @ 1:30
    (started cramping right at the end)

100 EZ

Total: 5000, 1450+kick

Commentary:

Still "base" building. I think that may be the most freestyle I've done in practice and the most yardage since last summer. I usually avoid freestyle sets like the plague, except for 25s. But I like pulling free with paddles. (I realize I have to be careful not to overdo it though.) My legs started to wear out in the kick set ... probably due to the large volume of kicking yesterday. But I'm going to persist with the kicking over the summer. I doubt that will help my OW swims much, but hopefully it will help my SCM season this fall. I agree with That Guy's statement on the Butterfly lane thread that kicking is the "locomotive" for fly.

One thing I hate about mega aerobic work is that it makes me famished. I ate a huge lunch and I'm still starving!

After hitting the pool 3 days in a row, I think I'll take a break tomorrow and do yoga.

Was a bit peeved today when a fat noodler (if you could even call him a noodler he was so slow and mostly hung on the walls) complained to the lifeguard that the pool was too cool. It felt around 82. The lifeguard seemed sympathetic, so I was forced to comment that it was actually a decent temperature for those of us actually swimming (who far out numbered this guy).

Updated June 10th, 2010 at 05:41 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wednesday, June 9

by , June 9th, 2010 at 04:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Technique Set:

24 x 50 @ 10-15 RI, done as:

8 x 50 fly drills

8 x 50
    odds = breast pull w/buoy
    evens = breast kick on back

8 x 50
    odds = free pull w/paddles
    evens = back pull w/paddles

50 EZ

Endurance Kick Mountain w/MF:

Did this fairly mod speed, getting used to kicking again. Alternating dolphin kicking on back and kicking w/board.

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 300 @ 3:45
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

50 EZ

Kick-Swim Set:

10 x 100 @ 1:30, done as 50 flutter kick w/fins & board + open turn + 50 free (went 1:05, then 1:08-09s)

Got my heart rate up more on these. They didn't even feel too bad, despite the prior kick set. I'm working on switching to my "LC free." Instead of straight arm, I do a loping type stroke and breath every stroke to the left. Breathing to the left is easier on my left shoulder and seems to promote a slightly more bent arm on that side. I have to really focus on kicking through my breath when I swim this way.

150 EZ

Total: 4350/2200 kicking

Commentary:

Still working my way back to fitness. I have a lingering cough and fatigue, but the headaches are gone.

I was hoping to do my first LC workout this weekend, but practices are cancelled at GMU this due to a USA-S meet. Also found out that GMUP is bidding for Zones for April 15-17. This will conflict with the Boston marathon, which is April 18. Perhaps I can swim one day, depending on when we go up. (Or swim the 50 free as part of the 1000 on Friday. That would make everyone happy. ) I have a feeling, though, the plan is to spend the entire weekend in Boston. I guess the Wolfpack can stay in the Fort house and swim without me ... So it looks like I will be in the market for a SCY taper meet.

Does it seem like there's been a proliferation of new blogs since Nats?

Updated June 9th, 2010 at 06:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Tuesday, June 8

by , June 8th, 2010 at 10:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I dutifully trudged to the pool, despite some swim apathy, with no particular workout in mind. Helpful suggestions included:

5 x 100 + 500 pull + 5 x 100 + 500 pull + 5 x 100

and "millions of 25s".

I opted for sort of a combo of both:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

5 x 100 backstroke @ 1:45

1 x 500 pull (didn't even lose count!)

5 x 100 breaststroke w/dolphin kick @ 2:00

1 x 500 kick w/MF, done as
    20 x 25 shooter @ :40 or so. 4 each on back, belly, right side, left side, twirling

5 x 50 single arm fly @ :50

50 EZ

Total: 2900

Commentary:

I had no intention of doing anything speedy today. And I forgot my fins. I knew I wouldn't feel great in the water, but I didn't feel quite as bad as I expected. The shooters felt quite happily mermaid-ish. Solar Energy would say this is "base" building. I think of it as re-establishing feel.

I had meant to do 5 x 100 fly at the end, but rushed out to take Mini to "work." Got home, and she actually wasn't scheduled to work today. Thought about doing some drylands, but I'm making some, probably vain, attempt not to overdo after the long layoff. (I'm still not fully recovered and tired.) I do plan on starting up the extreme angle isometrics (referenced below) again, along with the TRX.

Got a kick out of seeing Lil Fort smoke everyone on the running portion of her first all star soccer practice today. She's a speedy devil. Unfortunately, she is not aggressive wrt ball sports. Still, she's having fun. Opting out of travel soccer with daughter #2.

My legs weren't too sore from running today. My foot (right big toe) hurt some; I think I need some insoles with my new running shoes to support the front of my foot. I did cramp a bit while swimming -- I need to re-stock Endurolytes!

Backstroke Flutter Kick:

Ahelee and I were discussing backstroke kick a bit at Nats. We both have a minimal flutter kick style with a narrow kick and toes just poking out of the water. I noticed, however, in my 10 back video from Nats that the speedy new national record holder in this event, Ellen Reynolds, has a much splashier and seemingly stronger kick. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube- Les 100 BK[/nomedia]. Ahelee mentioned that this was discussed at SwimFest. She says you need a lot of power and lift to do a fast, deeper flutter kick. I couldn't tell from the video how "deep" Ellen's flutter kick is, but this is something I might play around with.

(This time watching I heard SwimStud saying "see any hands up?" A DQ in that event would have made a sort of mixed nationals end on a really sour note ...)

Dryland Studies:

Just a reminder for Jimby that occasionally I post science-based articles. :-P I fully admit to being an instinctual swimmer, but it appears there is little fact based info in swimming anyway. http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0952.htm.

ABSTRACT
    Zampagni, ML, Casino, D, Benelli, P, Visani, A, Marcacci, M, and De Vito, G.

"Anthropometric and strength variables to predict freestyle performance times in elite master swimmers. J Strength Cond Res 22: 1298–1307, 2008—The aims of this study were to determine in elite master swimmers of both genders whether, using anthropometric variables and the hand grip strength measure, it was possible to predict freestyle performance time, whether the considered predictors were related similarly to different events (50, 100, 200, 400, 800 m), and whether they were the same in male and female master swimmers. The relationships between performance times and age, body mass, height, arm length, forearm length, forearm muscle volume, and hand grip strength were examined in 135 elite master swimmers. Pearson’s simple correlation coefficients were calculated and then prediction equations were developed. Age, height, and hand grip strength were the best predictors in short-distance events, whereas only age and height were predictors in middle- and long-distance events. The correspond- ing coefficient of determination (R2) of performance times were 0.84 in the 50-m event, 0.73 in the 100-m event, 0.75 in the 200-m event, 0.66 in the 400-m event, and 0.63 in the 800-m event. These regression equations were then cross-validated in a control group of 126 nonelite, age-matched swimmers, obtaining significant and good correlations for all distances (range, r = 0.67 and 0.83; p , 0.01), indicating that predictors are valid in an extended sample of master swimmers. Differences between sexes were not found in 50-m event, but were present in all other events. These models might be useful to determine individual performance times by contributing to improving the individual’s training program and the selection of master swimmers. Coaches could have better accuracy in determining whether an athlete needs a strength training program in order to optimize performance time."

Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
    ABSTRACT. Girold, S., D. Maurin, B. Dugue ́, J.-C. Chatard, and G. Millet. Effects of dry-land vs. resisted- and assisted-sprint exercises on swimming sprint performances. J. Strength Cond. Res. 21(2):599–605. 2007.—This study was undertaken to compare the effects of dry-land strength training with a combined in-water resisted- and assisted-sprint program in swimmer ath- letes. Twenty-one swimmers from regional to national level par- ticipated in this study. They were randomly assigned to 3 groups: the strength (S) group that was involved in a dry-land strength training program where barbells were used, the resist- ed- and assisted-sprint (RAS) group that got involved in a spe- cific water training program where elastic tubes were used to generate resistance and assistance while swimming, and the control (C) group which was involved in an aerobic cycling pro- gram. During 12 weeks, the athletes performed 6 training ses- sions per week on separate days. All of them combined the same aerobic dominant work for their basic training in swimming and running with their specific training. Athletes were evaluated 3 times: before the training program started, after 6 weeks of training, and at the end of the training program. The outcome values were the strength of the elbow flexors and extensors eval- uated using an isokinetic dynamometer, and the speed, stroke rate, stroke length, and stroke depth observed during a 50-meter sprint. No changes were observed after 6 weeks of training. At the end of the training period, we observed significant increases in swimming velocity, and strength of elbow flexors and exten- sors both in the S and RAS groups. However, stroke depth de- creased both in the S and RAS groups. Stroke rate increased in the RAS but not in the S group. However, no significant differ- ences in the swimming performances between the S and RAS groups were observed. No significant changes occurred in C. Altogether, programs combining swimming with dry-land strength or with in-water resisted- and assisted-sprint exercises led to a similar gain in sprint performance and are more efficient than traditional swimming training methods alone.

Extreme Angle Isometrics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Changes in torque and electromyographic activity of the quadriceps femoris muscles following isometric training.Bandy WD, Hanten WP.
    Department of Physical Therapy, University of Central Arkansas, Conway 72035-0001.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of isometric training of the quadriceps femoris muscles, at different joint angles, on torque production and electromyographic (EMG) activity. SUBJECTS. One hundred seven women were randomly assigned to one of four groups. Three groups trained with isometric contractions three times per week at a knee flexion angle of 30, 60, or 90 degrees. The fourth group, which served as a control, did not exercise. METHODS. Isometric torque was measured using a dynamometer, and EMG activity was measured using a multichannel EMG system. Measurements were obtained during maximal isometric contraction of the quadriceps femoris muscles at 15-degree increments from 15 to 105 degrees of knee flexion. Measurements were taken before and after 8 weeks of training. RESULTS. Following isometric exercise, increased torque and EMG activity occurred not only at the angle at which subjects exercised, but also at angles in the range of motion at which exercise did occur. Further analyses indicated that exercising in the lengthened position for the quadriceps femoris muscles (90 degrees of knee flexion) produced increased torque across all angles measured and appeared to be the more effective position for transferring strength and EMG activity to adjacent angles following isometric training as compared with the shorter positions of the muscle (30 degrees and 60 degrees of knee flexion). CONCLUSION AND DISCUSSION. These findings suggest that an efficient method for increasing isometric knee extension torque and EMG activity throughout the entire range of motion is to exercise with the quadriceps femoris muscles in the lengthened position.

PMID: 8316579 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] This suggests that isometrics done at the greatest joint angle will, in fact, increase strength throughout the entire range of motion.

Updated June 9th, 2010 at 12:36 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Mini Swim + Yoga, May 28

by , May 28th, 2010 at 05:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Dragged myself to the pool today for no other reason than to try a new suit. I might feel the need to evangelize (or not) about the kneeskins soon.

700 various

10-15 minutes in the locker room putting on kneeskin suit. Not sure, might have had the wrong size.

200 w/suit

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

This felt pretty sweet overall. But the instructor was super chatty and annoyed me. He also caused class to run 20 minutes late. I chuckled when he said that some clients have objected to the new flooring as unauthentic. I vastly prefer it.

Commentary:

I felt absolutely appalling in the water today. No residual taper buzz left at all. And I still feel rather appalling in general, like I have a case of mono. This situation was worsened by being woken up an hour early today by Lil Fort. I need some big time quality sleep this weekend to jolt myself out of this post Atlanta malaise. Yoga doesn't seem to be working. I probably should have booked a post meet massage, which I did after Zones and snapped back faster.

Dinner tonight with friends and then some rounds of barbecues this weekend. No pool till next week.

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 06:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Wednesday, May 19

by , May 19th, 2010 at 03:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

4 x 25 long evil pullouts w/2 quick strokes

4 x 25 no breather free

100 EZ

Total: 1000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm becoming a vacuous airhead. I missed my ART appt thinking it was at 1:30 instead of 1:00. Oh well, more time to pack and try on my suit.

I've heard the Georgia Tech pool conditions are arctic. So I'm bringing my parka and ugg boots. My USMS fleece jacket has mysteriously disappeared.

I'm all checked in for my flight, which I hope is on time.

For those staying near the pool, here is the tech trolly route/schedule:

http://www.parking.gatech.edu/info/1...lley_route.php

I will miss my wolfpack member, Jimby. But his twin photo shopped my lovely new profile pic just in time for Nats. For recent blog readers, the pic reflects the outcome of an inane "which superhero are you?" quiz I took years ago (thanks to Stud). The quiz result for me was "The Flash -- fast, athletic and flirtatious." Hence, the use of FAF in my blog title. The AFAP, of course, stands for my penchant for going as fast as possible in workouts. Ande suggested the blog title The FAF AFAP Digest, which I have always used.

Good luck to everyone at Nats!!!

Events for Nationals:

Friday:

50 breast, 12:15 pm
    100 fly, 2:50 pm
    200 mixed free relay, 3:50 pm
    (leading off w/a split request)

Saturday:

200 mixed medley relay, 10:05 am
    50 fly, 11:55 am
    50 back, 3:55 pm

Sunday: