View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Swim @ GMU, Sunday, Feb. 6

by , February 6th, 2011 at 02:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

Assigned:

500 swim
    400 kick
    300 pull
    200 drill
    100 scull

Did:

900 various

8 x 25 shooters

Freestyle Pace Set:

Assigned:

24 x 100 freestyle (swim or pull), done as:

8 x 100 @ 1:35
    8 x 100 @ 1:30
    8 x 100 @ 1:25

Did:

Shared a lane with Barb, fellow backstroker. We decided to do backstroke with fins. She did all 24 100s; I did 16 before sprinter ADD kicked in.

8 x 100 back w/fins @ 1:35
    -- Cruised 1:07-08s. Felt super smooth and glidey today.

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    -- Cruised 1:06s

50 EZ

8 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    -- work on technique and streamlining

50 EZ

Speed Set:

24 x 25 w/fins @ :30
    2 easy, 1 fast
    -- did all the fast ones fly, went 11s

200 EZ

Total: 4000

Hottub, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I made it out of bed on time to get to my Sunday masters practice. Our beloved coach Cheryl is vacationing in Florida. So her hubby Peter (GMU coach) gave us the workout. I walked in and read it and told him he missed the memo that Sunday was stroke and sprint day. Instead, we had a long pace freestyle set, , which delighted the triathletes and open water swimmers. I mulled over what to do with said set during warm up, but ended up doing most of it figuring it was good for my 100 back and I wouldn't do it OMO. It actually felt fairly effortless (at the time, tired now).

Heard in the hottub that the GMU pool will be closed June & possibly all of July so that the failing air handler system can be replaced. There are no masters practice in August under the new policy. So that about kills LC season for me. Too bad, as I can typically train with my team during the week much more in the summer. This development has caused me to revise my thinking about attending Auburn Nats. I'll be gone 2 weeks in June on vacation and won't have a LC pool to practice in before or after. Doesn't seem to make sense to travel for days to a national meet with no LC practice ... I may just stay and do our local Zones meet, which is typically at the end of August instead.

Week totals:

5x swim, 2x yoga, 2x drylands
    Forgot to take a rest day this week.

Getting a damn cold ...

Updated February 6th, 2011 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Kinda Fast Friday, Feb. 4

by , February 4th, 2011 at 09:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last night was not one of my better nights. After a lovely evening with my girls, during which we dined on Chipolte because I was too lazy to cook, I had a minor case of vomit-itis. Not sure if it was due to Welsford's spewing or food contamination, but I was up hurling between 3-4:00 am. Decidedly unfun. I slept in and woke up feeling just slightly queasy. So I ingested as many electrolytes as one can and headed to GMU for a noon workout. I had planned a sprint workout and ended up modifying my intended set somewhat to accommodate my delicate stomach.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = free
    evens = backstroke kick

4 x 50 @ whatevah
    15 burst dolphin kick + cruise

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x through w/fins:

1 x 25 AFAP
    1 x 25 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 75 @ 90%
    1 x 75 EZ
    4 x 50 backstroke kicks @ 1:00 recovery

Ideally, I would have added 1 x 100 fast + 1 x 100 EZ. But I didn't have enough HTFU in me today for that.

1st round: backstroke kick
    25 = 10
    50 = 22
    75 = 39

2nd round: fly
    25 = 11
    50 = 24
    75 = high 41-42

3rd round: breast
    25 = 14
    50 = 30
    75 = horrible calf cramp, so went slowly after the 25

Hypoxic Technique Set:

4 x (5 x 25) shooters
    belly, left side, right side, back, twirling

-- worked on streamling and DPK

50 EZ

Total: 3400/1650 kicking

Commentary:

I was extremely glad that I took the time to drive to GMU. The water was cool and clear, there were no noodlers or children in sight, and digital clocks abounded. Very few people were in the pool. Brilliant! The workout generally went better than I anticipated, and I was glad to get 'er done.

I spent the night at the prelims of the girls HS Regional meet. Mini Fort was happy to get a States cut (though she's still off her club times, as one would expect). Road trip to Virginia Beach! There were some exceedingly fast times swum. A freshman and sophomore went 23.4 and 23.7 in the 50 free respectively in tanks. The same freshman went 55 in the 100 back. And it's just prelims! Finals will be fun to watch tomorrow night.

Not sure what I will do tomorrow. Mr. Fort jut left for an event in NY. (And, unfortunately, he has a minor hamstring pull after a speed workout and will not be running for a week (though he can bike)). I may try to go to yoga if I can get one of my kids to watch Lil Fort.

Updated February 4th, 2011 at 09:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday, Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2011 at 06:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Didn't have much time, so lifted for strength.

cable twist w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    dead lift, 115 x 1 x 5, 135 x 2 x 5
    leg press, 390 x 2 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 5
    extreme angle isometric squat w/12.5 DB, 5:00

RC work, 10 minutes

Ate a protein fusion bar and headed to the pool for an hour.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Aerobic Kick Mountain w/fins:
    (1800 yards)

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 250 @ 3:45
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 250 @ 3:45
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

Went up the mountain dolphin kick w/board and down the mountain backstroke kick (5 SDKs per length). I didn't get as much rest as I would have with the MF.

50 EZ

ATP-CP Speed Set:

10 x 25 free @ 1:00
    15 burst + cruise

100 EZ

Tried to do one AFAP 50 but got a double calf cramp right away and stopped.

100 EZ

Total: 2950

ART, 30 minutes

Had my chiro work over my left shoulder, scapular area and calves. Opted for the blue KT this time.

Commentary:

Did a rare aerobic set today. Plan to do some speed work tomorrow.

A friend alerted me to the fact that the Finis Foil Monofin is sized differently from Finis' other fins. I had reflexively ordered a medium, as that was what my shooter was and there was no sizing info for the Foil on their website. But, apparently, after discussions with Finis, I need a small, so will need to return the one that they mailed on Monday. (It sure took them a long time to mail it given that I ordered it quite awhile ago.) So I probably won't have it for another couple weeks at least.

Small = 7.5-9
    Medium = 9-11

Updated February 3rd, 2011 at 06:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  4. LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    5 x 50, done as 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise
    50 EZ

Lactate Tolerance Set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    hold best average

Went: 24 low, 25, 25.5., 25.5, 25.5, 25.5, 26.0, 26.5, 26.0, 25.5

500 EZ

Total: 2400

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

This lactate tolerance set is from Maglischio's Swimming Faster. I hadn't done this set in over a year (Oct. 2009). Last time I did it, I held 27.5s, but I did that after a drylands workout. Today, I was obviously much faster. I guess my kicking has improved in the last year, or been aided by the addition of the nose clip. The first one felt easy and I was surprised at the time. Then the lactic acid promptly hit on #2. Thought I was going to hurl after the last one. This set -- any lactate set really -- is extremely hard to do solo. This one is especially hard for me because it combines speed + a hypoxic element because I'm underwater so much. At least this one is only 10 minutes of hell. Didn't feel like doing anything else afterward.

Saw an interesting article in the WSJ -- "A Workout Ate My Marriage" --
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...share_facebook.

I have to confess that Mr. Fort and I seem to see much less of each other on weekends than we used to since he went back to marathon training and century bike rides and I became a more serious swimmer. But at least we're both exercising and competing now so there's not the resentment that arises when only one spouse is exercising. When my kids were young and up early, I did used to get slightly ticked when he was gone running every single morning.

And for parents of teenagers considering college in the future, check out: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/. I read some of threads last fall, and they scared the crap out of me!

I may go to bikram yoga tonight. Haven't decided yet. Will edit my blog if I do.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  5. It's a Wrap for January, Jan. 31

by , January 31st, 2011 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a Rich A. slow mo recovery swim with fins:

700 various

10 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = backstroke
    evens = backstroke kick

odds = breast
    evens = free

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2200 meters

Commentary:

I may have gone a wee bit crazy with drylands yesterday. Oddly, I thought it was a leg dominant workout, but my shoulders and back are much more sore (despite getting a mini massage from Mr. Fort). I guess med ball slamming and handstanding is a better upper body workout that what I've been doing in the gym? Anyhoo, I thought it best just to do a Rich A. slow mo type recovery workout to help flush lactic acid. We are expecting a wintery mix tonight. I just hope this doesn't foil my plans to HTFU and get in a sprint workout tomorrow.

Monthly FLOG Totals:

Swimming, 20x
    31.68 miles/55,764 yards
    17,525 yards kicking (31%)
    4,525 yard race pace(8%)*

Weights, 8x
    Cycling, 1x
    Yoga, 10x

Total workouts = 39

* I define race pace to be between 90-100%, which would be my 50 or 100 pace. So these are all close to all out efforts.

This was a very solid month of training for me. I swam 4-5 times per week, which is my max, of fairly low yardage. If I swim more than that, I am not mentally sharp enough for AFAP efforts and some burnout sets in. I did many doubles (12) and took 1 day off each week. That's definitely the most yoga I've done in a month. 8x isn't too bad for drylands since I intentionally took one week off.

One more month of hard training, and then I plan to taper in March.

Upcoming Spring Meets/Tentative Events:

Warrenton Meet SCY, 3/6
    (cruising in late for some speed work off the blocks)
    100 breast (50 split)
    100 IM

Albatross Meet SCM, 3/19
    50 back
    100 back
    200 back (if needed)
    50 fly

Colonies Zones SCY, 4/16
    100 free (50 split)
    100 back
    50 fly
    2 chick relays

Canadian Nats SCM, 5/20-22
    possibility, still waiting for meet info
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  6. Sunday Double, Jan. 30

by , January 30th, 2011 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 minutes:

Decided to do my most of my workout today in the very large room usually reserved for exercise classes. It was empty. I therefore eschewed the heavy weights (no machines in this room) and did a functional core & plyo based workout, which was quite fun.

Broomstick twists, 25
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    reverse crunch w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    V ups with med ball, 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/10 lb DBs on Reebok core trainer, 10 each leg (much harder than on the floor)
    one arm pull ins with 15 lb DBs in straight arm plank position, keep body as still as possible, 2 x 25
    walking lunges w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 25

suspended reverse plank isometric, 2 x 1:00 (one with hands in pull up grip and one with hands in chin up grip)
    extreme angle isometric squat, 5:00
    camel isometric, 1:00
    handstand isometric, 2 x 1:00

overhead squats w/25 lb broomstick, 25
    squat jumps w/broomstick, 10
    alternating squat & squat jump w/broomstick, 20
    plow position + roll up to tuck squat jump, 2 x 10

10 handstands
    10 walkovers

med ball slams in racquetball court, 10:00 (floor slams, wall slams, twisting slams, start slams, single arm slams, etc.)

RC Work, 10-15 minutes

Ate an energy bar and headed to the pool ...

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Technique Day -- nothing but 25s

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 25 russian breast drill with fins

8 x 25 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ 1:00

8 x 25 backstroke hesitation drill

8 x 25 free w/overkick

8 x 25 chest press fly

20 x 25 shooters w/MF

-- Used the long competitor MF today. I think I have to retire this one. The blade is so long (over a foor) that it places too much stress on the injured part of my toe/foot. I compensated by working on DPS and kicking from the chest down. 9 kicks per length on back or belly; 10 kicks per length on side. Tried to do a couple of these fast, but immediately got cramps, so desisted. Still waiting impatiently for my Finis Foil MF.

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2200

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

I originally had intended to go to my team practice this am. But I didn't get home from the high school district champs until 11:00 pm, which meant I went to bed after 1:00 am. So I just got up too late. Decided to do some functional dryland training and technique work for a change. I suspect I'm going to be just as sore from this body weight workout as I usually am from heavier weights.

Mini Fort did pretty well at her swim meet, advancing to Regionals next weekend. Fort Son did very well at the Mid-Atlantic erg championships, and qualified to compete in the CRASH Sprints in Boston on Feb. 20. http://www.crash-b.org/. Problem is he's over 18 and born after X date and so can't compete in the 18 & U junior division, where (as a high school kid) he really belongs. The Open division will have Olympians and Ivy rowers, who would squash him like a bug. Mr. Fort opted out of the half marathon race because of the snow on the course and instead did a 24 mile run with his training partner. They meant to go 20, but miscalculated the distance. Geez.

Updated February 1st, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  7. Friday, Jan. 28

by , January 28th, 2011 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters, no fins, work on DPS

10 x 25 w/fins
    5 fly no breathers, 5 free no breathers w/overkick

50 EZ

Speed Work:

4 x (50 @ 90%/100 race pace + 50 EZ) @ 3:00
    back kick = 25
    fly = 26.5
    breast = 31.5
    fly = 25.5

-- usually my kick drives my fly, but today my arms also felt pretty strong with lots of easy speed.

100 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    2 free
    2 fly kick shooter
    2 fly w/fins
    -- dove off side for first 4

100 EZ

8 x 25, done as 15 AFAP burst + cruise
    4 backstroke from the blocks
    4 breast

200 EZ

Total: 2900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My shoulders and upper back were pretty sore from weights yesterday, but I feel like I got in a decent speed workout despite that. I'm much more tired after than before. No idea whatsoever how Ande does double fast Fridays. There's only so much true AFAP workout I can productively do in one practice.

I plan on taking tomorrow off and going to my team practice on Sunday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Wed., Jan. 26

by , January 26th, 2011 at 05:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

725 various

4 free, 4 backstroke kick

50 EZ

4 x 25, power kick to 15 & cruise in

50 EZ

Speed Work:

3 x 100 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ @ 7:00
    --broken at 50 & 75 by 15-17 seconds
    --I prefer to leave on an even interval

#1 = backstroke (16 seconds rest)
    50 = 24
    100 = 1:23-32 = 51

#2 = fly (16 & 17 seconds rest)
    50 = 24
    100 = 1:22-33 = 49

#3 = backstroke kick (15 & 17 seconds rest)
    50 = 25
    100 = 1:23-32 = 51
    -- couldn't stay under as much as I wanted on this one. lactate setting in.

100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP (25)(tired)

225 EZ

Total: 2450

Ouch! Those broken 100s hurt. The fly was very fast for me. Typically, my backstroke is faster in practice (faster underwaters on backstroke).

School was cancelled today. Maybe a 1/2 inch of snow this am, but now it's coming down pretty heavily. Glad I went to yoga last night, as I definitely won't be going anywhere tonight. I'm sure school will be cancelled again tomorrow. I'm just hoping I can get to the gym at some point in the afternoon when the main roads are plowed.

Updated February 1st, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  9. Monday, Jan. 24

by , January 24th, 2011 at 06:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work, 15-20 minutes

back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
    HS power squats, 200 x 1 x 10, 220 x 1 x 10, 240 x 1 x 10
    HS iso lateral hi row, 160 x 1 x 10, 180 x 1 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 15
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    med balls slams, 10
    start plyo w/med ball, 10
    step ups on box w/15 DBs, 15

Bike, 30 minutes:

Just hopped on bike at home later in the day.

Commentary:

Weights were not too difficult. I didn't feel like I had lost any strength in the week off. And perhaps the rest was beneficial (rest, adapt, get stronger, blah blah). I do need to take it easy on the plyos with my foot. Shoulder is still slightly sore, which I attribute to not doing RC exercises for 3 days. My bad.

I'm going in for a magnesium injection tomorrow am, as I had some major cramping issues at the end of last week.

On another note, I've lost 5-6 pounds since beginning BHRT & thyroid therapy without changing my diet at all. In reality, I've been exceedingly skeptical about the "calories in calories out" mindset, as previously it appeared that my weight stayed the same no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. I now have a "hormones rule the world and you better hope nothing goes wrong" mindset. lol.

I've also heard from my coach, who's from Canada, that the pool for Canadian Masters Nationals at the end of May, Claude Robillard, is very fast. Very tempting!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Spinning
  10. Sunday @ GMU, Jan. 23

by , January 23rd, 2011 at 01:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

900 OYO (did 700)

400 IM done:
    50 kick/50 drill
    100 scull
    ? something else here, can't remember

Main Sets:

3 x (4 x 25 w/fins) @ :40
    1 = UW
    2 = fast
    3 = backstroke kick
    4 = backstroke kick

Went 2 free, 1 fly on the fast ones. All 11s.

50 EZ

"Petra Martin Set:"
    -- I used fins. Don't remember the intervals exactly, but we had quite a bit of rest.

3 x through:

1 x 250
    1 x 150 backstroke (6 kicks off each wall)
    1 x 50 fast (fly/back/breast)

For the 250s,
    #1 = fly/free (4-6 dolphin kicks off each wall)
    #2 = backstroke (6 kicks off each wall)
    #3 = breast w/2 UW pulls each length
    (Not being an evilstroker, and being lazy, I just did long streamlines on #3.)

On the fast 50s, went fly (:25), back shooter (:23) and breast (:30)

100 EZ (went 50)

5 x 125 kick @ 2:20
    3rd 25 = fast free kick
    5th 25 = fast stroke kick
    -- I did them all backstroke kick
    -- just cruised the first one

150 EZ

Total: 3700

15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Wasn't sure I'd make it to practice this am as I was out late last night with friends. This never seems to bode well for getting up. However, every single person in my house made what seemed to me a tremendously loud racket thumping up and down the stairs -- Mini Fort going to volleyball tournament, Mr. Fort going on long run, Fort Son going to the gym, Lil Fort waking up early ... So I just got out of bed and headed for the coffee machine.

I didn't feel in terribly fine form in the water. But this was a great workout. The "Petra Martin" breath control set was surprisingly hard. I'm used to doing a lot of hypoxic work, but I don't usually do 250s and 150s. Apart from the underwater kicking (which seems harder with fins if you're doing the same # of kicks b/c you're under longer), I just completely cruised the above water portions. The last kick set was rough. I had to cruise the first one and then was able to sprint at the designated times on the last 4. But I think I won the prize for slowest kicker on the non-fast portions. I am very good at slow.

The open water swimmers were making sarcastic remarks (jokingly) about "open water Sunday." But, really, they have their distance free night on Tuesday!

Now, I'm off to the grocery store. No matter how many times a week I go, there's never enough food in the house.

Updated January 23rd, 2011 at 09:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday, Jan. 21

by , January 21st, 2011 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Aerobic Kick:

8 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ :45

50 EZ

SDK+Burst Set:

8 x 75, no fins, done as:
    1st 25 = dolphin kick UW on belly to 15 meter mark, hands in front and "surf" to wall with head up, do flip turn
    2nd 25 = dolphin kick UW to 12.5 mark, 1 breath and then sprint free to the wall
    3rd 25 = easy

100 EZ

Speed Work:

Was going to do 3 x 50 fast shooters, but cramped on the first one and abandoned this effort. Did another 150 EZ. Then did this with fins:

1 x 100 easy speed fly, broken at 50 for 10 seconds
    -- went very gingerly on this to avoid cramps
    -- 30 + 31
    50 EZ
    1 x 50 fast fly (:25)
    50 EZ
    1 x 100 breast, broken at 50 for 10 seconds
    -- went 32 + 34
    100 EZ
    1 x 50 fast breast (:30)
    150 EZ

Total: 2650

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Drove directly to yoga from swimming. Was slightly worried it might be too much. But it was fine. I had some abdominal cramping in the forward compression postures. But I managed to go the whole minute on both legs in standing head to knee pose.

Commentary:

Feel like I had a good Mon-Fri with a lot of speed work, yoga and core work from the yoga. I will take tomorrow off. And tomorrow is Lil Fort's first USAS meet. She's 10, but I didn't feel like rushing into it again. Officiating at Mini Fort's final regular season high school meet tonight.

Updated January 21st, 2011 at 06:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  12. Swim w/Speedo & Jazz, Thursday, Jan. 20

by , January 20th, 2011 at 05:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr

Met up with Speedo & Jazz Hands today at OakMarr. Jazz has a problem shoulder and Speedo is still nursing his lasik eyes, so we focused on kicking.

Warm up:

600 various or so

Main Sets:

9 x 50 aerobic kick w/fins @ 1:00

Jazz & Speedo were doing a flutter-flutter-dolphin combo. I did them all hypoxic dolphin kick on back breathing only between flags and wall. Went 30-32.

50 EZ

5 x 50, ascending intervals (2:00-3:30, leaving lots of time to chat and sit on kickboards Ande style while waiting to go again)
    25 AFAP kick, get time, 25 EZ

-- I did them all backstroke shooters, no fins, from a push. Went 13, 13, 13, high 12-13, high 12. Was pretty surprised by and stoked with these times.

50 EZ

5 x 50 @ 2:00
    burst 15 + 35 cruise
    -- I did them all backstroke from a backstroke start, power kicking to 15 meters. Started to cramp a bit.

Jazz & Speedo left and I carried on for a bit.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from the blocks, no fins -- or that's what I intended. I was curious to see what I'd go after the fast 25 kicks. But I got a double calf cramp on the start and had to stop at the 25. It doesn't seem to matter how many electrolytes I dump in my body ... May go back for another magnesium injection.

50 EZ

10 x 50 recovery @ 1:15
    odds = breast pull
    evens = front scull

5 x 50, done as 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Total: 2650

ART, 40 minutes:

Went in to get my shoulders worked on again. (I will use this as an excuse to forego my RC exercises tonight.) Chatted about various things. Trying to figure out how to put some lean muscle on Fort Son. He recommended Pro Gain by Metagenics. He thinks the PRP will eventually get me back in high heels, and my foot does feel somewhat better after the second treatment. Although apparently "it's good I'm not a runner." (Sigh. Grr.)

Commentary:

Rather enjoying my week without drylands thus far. Even felt like I had some easy speed today. But it will be back to the grind starting Sunday.

Updated January 20th, 2011 at 07:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  13. Speed Play, Tuesday, Jan. 18

by , January 18th, 2011 at 05:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Speed/Hypoxic Play:

4 x 5 squat jumps off bottom of pool:
    -- Start at wall, dolphin kick down to bottom, place feet on bottom and squat jump up in streamline position, dolphin kicking as high as you can go, repeat.
    -- I was doing this at a 12 foot depth. Seemed pretty hard to me, as I was breathing hard after 5 (or even before)
    -- for flog purposes, I will count this as 200 yards

50 EZ

5 x 50, done as:
    Push off wall w/kickboard, dolphin kicking down to bottom of pool. Go about 12.5 yards, then strong vertical jump off the bottom dolphin kicking the whole way, and then sprint flutter kick to the wall. Cruise the second 25.

125 EZ

5 x 50, done as:
    backstroke start + power kick to 15 (15 kicks) + cruise the rest DAB.

75 EZ

5 x 50, done as:
    flutter kick UW for 15 seconds a few feet from wall, then go right into a flip turn and 10 strong dolphin kicks, cruise the rest of the 50

100 EZ

5 x (VK + 50 w/fins) @ 2:00
    30 seconds strong vertical dolphin kicking with fins + right into 25 UW shooter + 25 easy backstroke kick

100 EZ

12 x 25, done as:
    #1-4 = 15 burst underwater free recovery + cruise @ 1:00
    #5-8 = long breaststroke pullouts @ :45
    #9-12 = 15 burst fast breast pull + cruise @ 1:00

100 EZ

1 x 50 UW shooter w/fins AFAP (went high 23 or so)

100 EZ

Total: 2900 + VK + SJs

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Tried a fun speed play workout today with a strong emphasis on hypoxic work and kicking. I must say, I'm fairly knackered after that effort. Not really a recovery day, therefore, but for the absence of drylands and a nice lie in.

Book:

Saw a blurb about a book (written by scientist Gary Taubes) that looks somewhat interesting: Why We Get Fat

Among other things, the author contends that:

1. We can eat all the protein and fat we like, no reason to curtail, just no carbs (bread, sugar, pasta and fruit).
    2. Fruit is fattening b/c it is fructose containing.
    3. Little evidence supports the belief that "the number of calories we expend exercising has any effect on how fat we are." (This is certainly true for me)

And here's a review of the book that JimRude sent me:

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/01...e-get-fat.html

It appears that Dr. Taubes, after publishing a more scientific book -- Good Calories/Bad Calories -- is perhaps trying to dumb down the science for the masses. I've still never liked the "calories in calories out" theory.

Jimslie:

For follower's of Jimslie's blog, I am sad to report that our hero suffered a detached retina recently. The treatment appears, thankfully, to be successful, but he is banned from the computer and pool temporarily. Though he apparently has been impressively stoic throughout the ordeal, I know he would appreciate any coddling and good wishes sent his way.

Updated January 18th, 2011 at 10:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Monday, Jan. 7

by , January 17th, 2011 at 09:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I guess some people were working today because, thankfully, it was much less crowded in class. And it was one of my easiest classes yet (or as "easy" as Bikram can be). I even put in my best effort yet on Dandayamana-Janushirasana (standing head to knee pose). Somehow this name has stuck in my head; the instructors seem to like repeating this one in particular. Personally, I vastly prefer standing bow, which supposedly: develops balance, increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage, firms the abdominal wall and upper thighs, tightens upper arms, hips and buttocks and improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine. My least favorite pose is locust pose.

I only recently realized that bikram yoga competitions were controversial. Apparently, some (but not Bikram Chourdhury) believe that having a "competition" for yoga undermines the concept of achieving inner peace, calm, chi or whatever the correct yogini word is. I came across this article in the Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012402134.html. The woman pictured has been in a few of my weekend classes. I always admired her unusual combination of muscular strength and flexibility.

Gym, 30 minutes:

RC work & foam roller

Swim/SCM/Solo, 35-40 minutes:

Just did a short, slow recovery swim:

500 various
    200 fly drill
    200 back
    200 shooters
    200 fly drill
    200 back
    100 dolphin dive

Total: 1600 meters

15 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Day one of a quasi recovery week went as planned. Tomorrow, instead of my usual double, I'll just do a speed workout. I even resisted the urge yesterday to go to yoga after my team practice. I began reading Nora Ephron's new collection of essays "I Remember Nothing" (very breezy and witty) and fell asleep on the couch. Ironically, the next thing I knew my friends were banging on the door -- I had apparently forgotten and almost slept through our GNO. And I almost never take a nap! Fortunately, I rallied and we had a most excellent dinner.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Swim @ GMU, Sunday, Jan. 16

by , January 16th, 2011 at 02:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim, SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

500 swim
    2 x 250 kick (one w/o board)

-- I missed one of the 250 kicks chatting with Barb.

Main Sets:

4 x 125 D/S/D/S/D @ :20 RI
    1 of each stroke

4 x 25 "roll fly"
    -- I did these as twirling shooters. In roll fly, after a twirl cycle, you do 2 full strokes of fly.

4 x 100 done as:
    30 seconds vertical kick w/med ball + right into 15 meter sprint + cruise rest of 100

12 x 50 aerobic @ :55
    2 fly/back
    2 back
    2 back/breast
    2 breast
    2 breast/free
    2 free

50 EZ

9 x 100, wore fins, done as:

3 x 100 kick @ 1:55, last one fast (:58)
    3 x 100 swim @ 1:40, last one fast (1:00)
    -- Coach remarked that is was puzzling that my kick was faster than my swim, but that's because I stayed under longer on the kick.
    3 x 100 kick @ 1:55, last one fast (:56)
    -- I only did 50s instead of 100s on the slow ones. I was tired and needed some air. Hence, the improved time on the last one.

200 EZ

Total: 3400

As usual, a very fun and interesting Sunday practice! It's surprisingly hard to sprint right after a hard vertical kick.

My neck, shoulder and foot are still creaky, and I'm pretty tired after the week's efforts and not sleeping great the last couple nights. (I probably should have done zero upper body work at the gym instead of some.) So I'm going to force myself to take a recovery week next week. No doubles, no drylands, and no arduous speed sets or lactate sets are on the menu. The tentative plan is:

Monday: 30-40 minute recovery swim + yoga
    Tuesday: mini speed/technique workout
    Wednesday: yoga
    Thursday: recovery/aerobic swim
    Friday: mini speed/technique workout
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: off or yoga

It kills me to back off when Mr. Fort and Lil Fort aren't back from skiing until Wednesday night and I have so much more free time to train, but I think my body needs it. Now, I just need to remember to do RC work when I'm not at the gym. I'm ultra lazy about doing it at home.

Articles on the importance of rest:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...e-of-rest.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70...rest-recovery/

Not sure about this statement from the Livestrong article though:

"You can use other methods of exercise such as yoga, pilates or stretching since you are not exerting the primary muscles you use in your chosen sport."

The standing series in bikram is definitely leg intensive, which are key swimming muscles for me. Must be written by a triathlete ...

Mini Fort is at volleyball right now. But we plan to get dinner later, light a fire and watch the Golden Globes together. The only movie I didn't get to see that I wanted to was The King's Speech.

Updated January 16th, 2011 at 03:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday, Jan. 13

by , January 13th, 2011 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 70 minutes:

RC Work, 15 minutes

cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 1 x 15 each side, 50 x 1 x 15 each side
    rotating reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    HS iso lateral leg extension, 50 x 2 x 10
    (had to concentrate to keep legs in sync on this exercise; this exercise is much harder on the HS machine that the other machines)
    seated narrow grip row negatives, 70 x 2 x 10
    deadlift, 100 x 2 x 10
    box jumps 2 x 10
    tuck knee jumps, 10
    start plyo w/med ball, 20
    (this is essentially like hiking a football)

Ate a protein fusion bar and headed down to the hot gym pool for a kick workout. Didn't feel up to a lactate set in that pool.

Swim/SCM/ Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Hypoxic Kick + Burst Turnover Drill:

4 x 25 shooters w/fins (back, right side, left side, belly on all sets)
    4 x 25 12.5 fast windmill backstroke + 12.5 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 12.5 fast underwater free recovery drill + 12.5 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins @ 15 RI

50 EZ

Fast Kick:

16 x 25, no interval
    odds = AFAP dolphin kick w/board
    evens = easy

-- intended to do more but started cramping

50 dolphin dive

Total: 3100 meters/2500 kick

Commentary:

Shoulder and neck are gradually feeling better. I'm still proceeding with caution at the gym and not doing too much upper body work. Not much in the water today either with my kick-centric workout.

Tomorrow will be an off day as I'm in Lil Fort's classroom teaching art, then at PRP () and then officiating at Mini Fort's swim meet (which doesn't start till 8:30 pm). I think I'm due anyway.

I am loving the flog feature. I love looking at it in the monthly view. Really lets you see what you've been doing easily.

Colonies Zones:

On line registration for the CZ meet April 15-17 at GMU opens today. If you are a distance geek, sign up for those events fast.

http://www.patriotmasters.org/ColoniesZone2011.htm

Updated January 13th, 2011 at 08:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. 50/50, Tuesday, Jan. 11

by , January 11th, 2011 at 09:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work, 15 minutes

broomstick twists, 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15

HS power squat, 180 x 1 x 10, 200 x 1 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    standing narrow grip cable pull down w/foot on bench, 90 x 1 x 10, 80 x 1 x 10 (a guy bodybuilder with a shirt that said "these boobs are not from nature, they were built" showed me this one)
    box jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters on back

2 x 10 second AFAP vertical dolphin kick + 50 EZ

3 x (15 burst + 35 EZ)

50 EZ

Speed Set:

5 x 50 w/fins + 150 EZ @ 5:00

#1 UW shooter, 23
    #2 backstroke kick, 24 high
    #3 backstroke 24 high
    #4 UW shooter, high 23-low 24
    #5 backstroke, high 24-25

50 EZ

Total: 2150

I really prefer doing AFAP sets at OakMarr or GMU where they have the digital clock. Harder to tell your time on a pace clock. I may go to OakMarr on Thursday and GMU on Friday.

Massage, 60 minutes

Commentary:

I woke up this am with a bit of a wrenched neck. Halfway through my drylands, it felt worse. Maybe from the weight on my shoulders from the power squat? By the time I got to the pool, I couldn't turn my head left or right without pain. That's one reason I did all backstroke work on the AFAP 50s -- not much head movement. I was still really uncomfortable. Fortunately, I had called my massage therapist before swimming and she had an appt open in the late afternoon. Feel a bit better already. Whenever I do this, it seems like 2-3 days of pain. I wonder if it was the result of a domino effect from my weak/strained/tight left shoulder. Anyhoo, hope it exits quickly! But I didn't help matters by doing a slip & fall on the stairs from the ice that's arrived. I just like looking at snow and ice from afar; I really don't need it to be here in NOVA.

Was chatting with friends today about 50/50 training: 50% on land & 50% in the pool. I think this is pretty much what I do. A specific example was given of Hanna-Maria Seppala (4th in 100m free in 2008). She apparently does ballet 3hrs/week, runs for about 90 minutes 3x week and does extensive dryland/core for about 90 minutes 4x week. She swims only 4-5k per workout 5x week (more during training camps). She spends about 50% of her training on land and 50% in water. That's still a TON of training, but not that much swimming. I definitely believe most masters would benefit from more land training. My SDKs are just as much a product of my gym time as my kicking yardage. Oh, I heard some crazy master kicked for an entire 2 hour workout recently.

Bought the Finis Foil monofin today! Can't wait to try it, and see how (and if) it's that much different from regular long blade fins. Still haven't found my Finis Shooter MF around the house or in the lost and found.

http://www.finisinc.com/s.nl/c.1144330/it.A/id.1443/.f

Updated January 11th, 2011 at 10:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. Monday, Jan. 10

by , January 10th, 2011 at 07:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

30-35 minutes slow recovery swim
    went about 1600 or so, didn't really keep track

20 minutes hottub, with jets on the quads

Yoga & Stretching, 40 minutes

Stretched and did part of a P90X yoga DVD. I've decided if I do this >30 minutes, I will flog it as yoga.

15 minutes RC work

20 minutes researching how to put KT on quads and calves and then applying same (see, e.g., [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7IEZ0Zxxw"]YouTube - Kinesio Taping for Quads[/nomedia])

Commentary:

I had originally thought I might do my 6 x 50 speed set today. But I didn't have a nose clip in my bag -- those things go missing so easily. And my quads were absolutely burning after yesterday (probably from the extreme lunge step up, which I swear will build legs of steel). So I opted for a slow recovery swim. Probably the smartest move anyway after yesterday's effort. Tomorrow, I'll try to hit the gym and get a speed set in.

I found my box of blue KT and decided to apply it to my left shoulder, the quads, the calves & shins. I practically look like the cookie monster now. I'll probably frighten the noodlers at the pool tomorrow. :-) Already feel better with the placebo effect!

LZR reborn: http://www.thecoolist.com/banned-spe...mpaign=scribol

We're expecting 1-4 inches tomorrow night. Oh snap. Close everything and hide. (rolls eyes)

Meet Thought:

I'm mulling over doing the Warrenton meet on March 6 instead of attending the Richmond meet on February 12. Warrenton is closer and would be good prep 2 weeks before the Albatross meet, which I'll rest some for. If so, I may cruise in late to do a couple events in the last half. Maybe 50 fly or 50 breast and 100 IM. And it's supposed to be a fast pool. Plus, frankly, the timing appeals to me more. I'm not sure I feel like swimming in a meet in a month when I'm still training hard and tired.

Entry info for the Colonies Zones meet in April is up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2011.Entry.pdf.

I was hoping to swim the 100 fly and 100 back on Saturday. But I'd have to swim the 100 fly as a split on the 200. Egads. I'm not actually sure I could do this ... I'd have to take a huge huge coffee break on the turn after the 100.

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 11:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Triple, Sunday, Jan. 9

by , January 9th, 2011 at 09:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC Work: arm extensions (3 sets), external rotators (3 sets), seated straight arm dips, chops on yoga ball, tricep kick backs, arm circles

extreme step up lunge, 10 each leg
    -- This time, I stacked steps to be over 2 feet. Much harder than the 18 inch box. Really felt the burn in the hips and quads. These are harder than single leg squats. Can't imagine doing them with dumbbells yet at this height.
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    new exercise: altitude drop from 18 inch box (eccentric) right into broad jump, 10
    -- love this one! But you need quite a bit of room for it.

I really only meant to go to the gym to do RC work. But once I was there, I figured I'd do a little plyo +core.

Mini Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

Warm up:

600 various

Speed Work:

10 x 25 ATP-CP @ 1:00
    did burst dolphin kick on belly to 15 meters

100 EZ

1 x 50 breast w/fins AFAP (went 34 ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1200 meters

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I had yoga plans with a friend who shows addictive potential to bikram. So I went straight from gym + swim to yoga. The yoga studio was absolutely packed again. Either bikram is suffering from resolutionist syndrome or some college students are still home. When the room is packed like sardines, I think it makes the heat seem even more oppressive. I was so grateful when the instructor turned it down somewhat after camel with only a few poses left. I was melting.

Commentary:

Success! I was really blasted most of the day yesterday after my team practice. But I seemed to have successfully slept off the fatigue and aches with a monster night of sleep. At least I woke up feeling quite refreshed and still feel great. Rather ebullient even. Now perhaps tomorrow I'll feel it more.

After a lot of RC work and icing, my left shoulder feels better. But I will still proceed with caution. Think I'll stick with only one workout tomorrow. I feel a 6 x 50 @ 3-4:00 minutes coming on fairly soon.

And there is a new $60 Finis all rubber monofin out: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/25420.asp

Updated January 9th, 2011 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  20. Saturday, Jan. 8

by , January 8th, 2011 at 07:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU:

400 swim
    100 back
    200 kick
    100 breast
    200 kick (25 left side, 25 right side)

I missed about 300 of the warm up.

Main Set:

2 x through:

2 x 300 free pull w/paddles & buoy @ 4:10
    second one faster than first
    I didn't pull; I used fins.
    On the second round, I kicked the last one (and that was faster than my free, lol).

1 x 100 IM drill @ 2:00

2 x 200 IM @ 3:10
    second one faster than first

1 x 50 scull

3 x 100 kick, no fins, descend (I descended to 1:22)

4 x 25 free/back @ :30
    1 = 12.5, 12.5 easy
    2 = 12.5 easy, 12.5 fast
    3 = easy
    4 = fast

50 EZ

200 warm down

Total: 4400 (4100 for me)

Gym:

20-25 minutes of RC Work

20 minutes of stretching

I took a rest day yesterday, but still didn't feel particularly refreshed today. It could be that I slept poorly last night though. Or it could be that I'm allergic to aerobic sets.

We were in the diving well today, as there was a meet at GMU. There were 5 in my lane, which is crowded for us. It felt really wavy -- not used to that at all.

My left shoulder is still bothering me and feels a bit tendonitis-like in the shoulder blade and rear delt area. I think it's a combination of paddle use (with the red strokemakers) on Jan. 2, lifting heavy on the hi row on Friday and sleeping on the damn thing. If only I could sleep on my back! As a result, I did no pulling today and used fins on all the swims. And got myself to the gym to do RC work. Coach said to lay off the paddles for a month.

I had been planning on going to my team practice tomorrow, but, given my shoulder, I might just do a short kick or recovery practice of my own and yoga. Undecided. I like our Sunday practices, which are stroke and sprint oriented. But I should probably err on the side of caution.

According to my flog, this week I swam 5x (15,000+), lifted 2x, went to yoga 1x, and did a lot of stretching. I kicked 5,000 yards. Wednesday will be three weeks of hard training, and I feel like I need a recovery week or a few days of recovery. I have a PRP appt next Friday (cancelled my Dec. appt when I was sick), so it would be ideal to take it easy around that time. I'm dreading it, it's so painful.

Just got back from Black Swan -- excellent psychological thriller.

Updated January 8th, 2011 at 08:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts