View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Swim @ GMU, Sunday, Jan. 16

by , January 16th, 2011 at 02:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim, SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

500 swim
    2 x 250 kick (one w/o board)

-- I missed one of the 250 kicks chatting with Barb.

Main Sets:

4 x 125 D/S/D/S/D @ :20 RI
    1 of each stroke

4 x 25 "roll fly"
    -- I did these as twirling shooters. In roll fly, after a twirl cycle, you do 2 full strokes of fly.

4 x 100 done as:
    30 seconds vertical kick w/med ball + right into 15 meter sprint + cruise rest of 100

12 x 50 aerobic @ :55
    2 fly/back
    2 back
    2 back/breast
    2 breast
    2 breast/free
    2 free

50 EZ

9 x 100, wore fins, done as:

3 x 100 kick @ 1:55, last one fast (:58)
    3 x 100 swim @ 1:40, last one fast (1:00)
    -- Coach remarked that is was puzzling that my kick was faster than my swim, but that's because I stayed under longer on the kick.
    3 x 100 kick @ 1:55, last one fast (:56)
    -- I only did 50s instead of 100s on the slow ones. I was tired and needed some air. Hence, the improved time on the last one.

200 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As usual, a very fun and interesting Sunday practice! It's surprisingly hard to sprint right after a hard vertical kick.

My neck, shoulder and foot are still creaky, and I'm pretty tired after the week's efforts and not sleeping great the last couple nights. (I probably should have done zero upper body work at the gym instead of some.) So I'm going to force myself to take a recovery week next week. No doubles, no drylands, and no arduous speed sets or lactate sets are on the menu. The tentative plan is:

Monday: 30-40 minute recovery swim + yoga
    Tuesday: mini speed/technique workout
    Wednesday: yoga
    Thursday: recovery/aerobic swim
    Friday: mini speed/technique workout
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: off or yoga

It kills me to back off when Mr. Fort and Lil Fort aren't back from skiing until Wednesday night and I have so much more free time to train, but I think my body needs it. Now, I just need to remember to do RC work when I'm not at the gym. I'm ultra lazy about doing it at home.

Articles on the importance of rest:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...e-of-rest.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70...rest-recovery/

Not sure about this statement from the Livestrong article though:

"You can use other methods of exercise such as yoga, pilates or stretching since you are not exerting the primary muscles you use in your chosen sport."

The standing series in bikram is definitely leg intensive, which are key swimming muscles for me. Must be written by a triathlete ...

Mini Fort is at volleyball right now. But we plan to get dinner later, light a fire and watch the Golden Globes together. The only movie I didn't get to see that I wanted to was The King's Speech.

Updated January 16th, 2011 at 03:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thursday, Jan. 13

by , January 13th, 2011 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 70 minutes:

RC Work, 15 minutes

cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 1 x 15 each side, 50 x 1 x 15 each side
    rotating reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    HS iso lateral leg extension, 50 x 2 x 10
    (had to concentrate to keep legs in sync on this exercise; this exercise is much harder on the HS machine that the other machines)
    seated narrow grip row negatives, 70 x 2 x 10
    deadlift, 100 x 2 x 10
    box jumps 2 x 10
    tuck knee jumps, 10
    start plyo w/med ball, 20
    (this is essentially like hiking a football)

Ate a protein fusion bar and headed down to the hot gym pool for a kick workout. Didn't feel up to a lactate set in that pool.

Swim/SCM/ Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Hypoxic Kick + Burst Turnover Drill:

4 x 25 shooters w/fins (back, right side, left side, belly on all sets)
    4 x 25 12.5 fast windmill backstroke + 12.5 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 12.5 fast underwater free recovery drill + 12.5 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins @ 15 RI

50 EZ

Fast Kick:

16 x 25, no interval
    odds = AFAP dolphin kick w/board
    evens = easy

-- intended to do more but started cramping

50 dolphin dive

Total: 3100 meters/2500 kick

Commentary:

Shoulder and neck are gradually feeling better. I'm still proceeding with caution at the gym and not doing too much upper body work. Not much in the water today either with my kick-centric workout.

Tomorrow will be an off day as I'm in Lil Fort's classroom teaching art, then at PRP () and then officiating at Mini Fort's swim meet (which doesn't start till 8:30 pm). I think I'm due anyway.

I am loving the flog feature. I love looking at it in the monthly view. Really lets you see what you've been doing easily.

Colonies Zones:

On line registration for the CZ meet April 15-17 at GMU opens today. If you are a distance geek, sign up for those events fast.

http://www.patriotmasters.org/ColoniesZone2011.htm

Updated January 13th, 2011 at 08:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. 50/50, Tuesday, Jan. 11

by , January 11th, 2011 at 09:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work, 15 minutes

broomstick twists, 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15

HS power squat, 180 x 1 x 10, 200 x 1 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    standing narrow grip cable pull down w/foot on bench, 90 x 1 x 10, 80 x 1 x 10 (a guy bodybuilder with a shirt that said "these boobs are not from nature, they were built" showed me this one)
    box jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters on back

2 x 10 second AFAP vertical dolphin kick + 50 EZ

3 x (15 burst + 35 EZ)

50 EZ

Speed Set:

5 x 50 w/fins + 150 EZ @ 5:00

#1 UW shooter, 23
    #2 backstroke kick, 24 high
    #3 backstroke 24 high
    #4 UW shooter, high 23-low 24
    #5 backstroke, high 24-25

50 EZ

Total: 2150

I really prefer doing AFAP sets at OakMarr or GMU where they have the digital clock. Harder to tell your time on a pace clock. I may go to OakMarr on Thursday and GMU on Friday.

Massage, 60 minutes

Commentary:

I woke up this am with a bit of a wrenched neck. Halfway through my drylands, it felt worse. Maybe from the weight on my shoulders from the power squat? By the time I got to the pool, I couldn't turn my head left or right without pain. That's one reason I did all backstroke work on the AFAP 50s -- not much head movement. I was still really uncomfortable. Fortunately, I had called my massage therapist before swimming and she had an appt open in the late afternoon. Feel a bit better already. Whenever I do this, it seems like 2-3 days of pain. I wonder if it was the result of a domino effect from my weak/strained/tight left shoulder. Anyhoo, hope it exits quickly! But I didn't help matters by doing a slip & fall on the stairs from the ice that's arrived. I just like looking at snow and ice from afar; I really don't need it to be here in NOVA.

Was chatting with friends today about 50/50 training: 50% on land & 50% in the pool. I think this is pretty much what I do. A specific example was given of Hanna-Maria Seppala (4th in 100m free in 2008). She apparently does ballet 3hrs/week, runs for about 90 minutes 3x week and does extensive dryland/core for about 90 minutes 4x week. She swims only 4-5k per workout 5x week (more during training camps). She spends about 50% of her training on land and 50% in water. That's still a TON of training, but not that much swimming. I definitely believe most masters would benefit from more land training. My SDKs are just as much a product of my gym time as my kicking yardage. Oh, I heard some crazy master kicked for an entire 2 hour workout recently.

Bought the Finis Foil monofin today! Can't wait to try it, and see how (and if) it's that much different from regular long blade fins. Still haven't found my Finis Shooter MF around the house or in the lost and found.

http://www.finisinc.com/s.nl/c.1144330/it.A/id.1443/.f

Updated January 11th, 2011 at 10:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  4. Monday, Jan. 10

by , January 10th, 2011 at 07:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

30-35 minutes slow recovery swim
    went about 1600 or so, didn't really keep track

20 minutes hottub, with jets on the quads

Yoga & Stretching, 40 minutes

Stretched and did part of a P90X yoga DVD. I've decided if I do this >30 minutes, I will flog it as yoga.

15 minutes RC work

20 minutes researching how to put KT on quads and calves and then applying same (see, e.g., [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7IEZ0Zxxw"]YouTube - Kinesio Taping for Quads[/nomedia])

Commentary:

I had originally thought I might do my 6 x 50 speed set today. But I didn't have a nose clip in my bag -- those things go missing so easily. And my quads were absolutely burning after yesterday (probably from the extreme lunge step up, which I swear will build legs of steel). So I opted for a slow recovery swim. Probably the smartest move anyway after yesterday's effort. Tomorrow, I'll try to hit the gym and get a speed set in.

I found my box of blue KT and decided to apply it to my left shoulder, the quads, the calves & shins. I practically look like the cookie monster now. I'll probably frighten the noodlers at the pool tomorrow. :-) Already feel better with the placebo effect!

LZR reborn: http://www.thecoolist.com/banned-spe...mpaign=scribol

We're expecting 1-4 inches tomorrow night. Oh snap. Close everything and hide. (rolls eyes)

Meet Thought:

I'm mulling over doing the Warrenton meet on March 6 instead of attending the Richmond meet on February 12. Warrenton is closer and would be good prep 2 weeks before the Albatross meet, which I'll rest some for. If so, I may cruise in late to do a couple events in the last half. Maybe 50 fly or 50 breast and 100 IM. And it's supposed to be a fast pool. Plus, frankly, the timing appeals to me more. I'm not sure I feel like swimming in a meet in a month when I'm still training hard and tired.

Entry info for the Colonies Zones meet in April is up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2011.Entry.pdf.

I was hoping to swim the 100 fly and 100 back on Saturday. But I'd have to swim the 100 fly as a split on the 200. Egads. I'm not actually sure I could do this ... I'd have to take a huge huge coffee break on the turn after the 100.

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 11:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Triple, Sunday, Jan. 9

by , January 9th, 2011 at 09:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC Work: arm extensions (3 sets), external rotators (3 sets), seated straight arm dips, chops on yoga ball, tricep kick backs, arm circles

extreme step up lunge, 10 each leg
    -- This time, I stacked steps to be over 2 feet. Much harder than the 18 inch box. Really felt the burn in the hips and quads. These are harder than single leg squats. Can't imagine doing them with dumbbells yet at this height.
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    new exercise: altitude drop from 18 inch box (eccentric) right into broad jump, 10
    -- love this one! But you need quite a bit of room for it.

I really only meant to go to the gym to do RC work. But once I was there, I figured I'd do a little plyo +core.

Mini Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

Warm up:

600 various

Speed Work:

10 x 25 ATP-CP @ 1:00
    did burst dolphin kick on belly to 15 meters

100 EZ

1 x 50 breast w/fins AFAP (went 34 ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1200 meters

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I had yoga plans with a friend who shows addictive potential to bikram. So I went straight from gym + swim to yoga. The yoga studio was absolutely packed again. Either bikram is suffering from resolutionist syndrome or some college students are still home. When the room is packed like sardines, I think it makes the heat seem even more oppressive. I was so grateful when the instructor turned it down somewhat after camel with only a few poses left. I was melting.

Commentary:

Success! I was really blasted most of the day yesterday after my team practice. But I seemed to have successfully slept off the fatigue and aches with a monster night of sleep. At least I woke up feeling quite refreshed and still feel great. Rather ebullient even. Now perhaps tomorrow I'll feel it more.

After a lot of RC work and icing, my left shoulder feels better. But I will still proceed with caution. Think I'll stick with only one workout tomorrow. I feel a 6 x 50 @ 3-4:00 minutes coming on fairly soon.

And there is a new $60 Finis all rubber monofin out: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/25420.asp

Updated January 9th, 2011 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  6. Saturday, Jan. 8

by , January 8th, 2011 at 07:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU:

400 swim
    100 back
    200 kick
    100 breast
    200 kick (25 left side, 25 right side)

I missed about 300 of the warm up.

Main Set:

2 x through:

2 x 300 free pull w/paddles & buoy @ 4:10
    second one faster than first
    I didn't pull; I used fins.
    On the second round, I kicked the last one (and that was faster than my free, lol).

1 x 100 IM drill @ 2:00

2 x 200 IM @ 3:10
    second one faster than first

1 x 50 scull

3 x 100 kick, no fins, descend (I descended to 1:22)

4 x 25 free/back @ :30
    1 = 12.5, 12.5 easy
    2 = 12.5 easy, 12.5 fast
    3 = easy
    4 = fast

50 EZ

200 warm down

Total: 4400 (4100 for me)

Gym:

20-25 minutes of RC Work

20 minutes of stretching

I took a rest day yesterday, but still didn't feel particularly refreshed today. It could be that I slept poorly last night though. Or it could be that I'm allergic to aerobic sets.

We were in the diving well today, as there was a meet at GMU. There were 5 in my lane, which is crowded for us. It felt really wavy -- not used to that at all.

My left shoulder is still bothering me and feels a bit tendonitis-like in the shoulder blade and rear delt area. I think it's a combination of paddle use (with the red strokemakers) on Jan. 2, lifting heavy on the hi row on Friday and sleeping on the damn thing. If only I could sleep on my back! As a result, I did no pulling today and used fins on all the swims. And got myself to the gym to do RC work. Coach said to lay off the paddles for a month.

I had been planning on going to my team practice tomorrow, but, given my shoulder, I might just do a short kick or recovery practice of my own and yoga. Undecided. I like our Sunday practices, which are stroke and sprint oriented. But I should probably err on the side of caution.

According to my flog, this week I swam 5x (15,000+), lifted 2x, went to yoga 1x, and did a lot of stretching. I kicked 5,000 yards. Wednesday will be three weeks of hard training, and I feel like I need a recovery week or a few days of recovery. I have a PRP appt next Friday (cancelled my Dec. appt when I was sick), so it would be ideal to take it easy around that time. I'm dreading it, it's so painful.

Just got back from Black Swan -- excellent psychological thriller.

Updated January 8th, 2011 at 08:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Back to Power & Speed, Thursday, Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2011 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC Work, 10-15 minutes

Other drylands, 45-50 minutes:

flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
    HS power squat, 160 x 3 x 10
    HS hi row, 160 x 1 x 10, 170 x 1 x 8, 180 x 1 x 8
    Total ab machine, 140 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10

new exercise (from Mr. Fort's trainer): Don't have a name for this, but it's a variation of an extreme angle isometric. You essentially plant your right foot on a high box or a stairway in an extreme lunge position (I used the 18 inch box), your left leg should be straight with your toe touching the ground, push up to standing position with your right leg. repeat 10x, let heartrate fall and then do other leg. 18 inches was not tall enough for me, but I tried to compensate by moving my plant foot to the far end of the box. The idea is to be in a very extreme lunge when you do the exercise.

2 x 10, each leg

Stretching, 20 minutes

Hopped in the car, downed a protein fusion bar and banana and headed to the pool.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

no clocks, no fins

Warm up:

750 various

Speed Work:

6 x 50
    1st 25: standing broad jump into pool + fast eggbeater kick to end
    2nd 25: scull

6 x 50
    25 fast breaststroke pull w/buoy
    25 easy backstroke kick

6 x 50
    25 backstroke start and power kick to 15 meters (15 kicks on the first 4, on the last 2 25s, 15 kicks put me past the 15 meter mark), cruise in
    25 easy

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2050

Hottub, 10 minutes

Commentary:

It felt good to do some speed work after all the aerobic work I've been doing lately. I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow ... I may take it easy or take a rest day and go to my team practices this weekend. Mr. Fort and Lil Fort are going skiing this weekend with friends, so I'll have more free time than usual.

Updated January 6th, 2011 at 11:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  8. Tuesday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2011 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

-- This was a modified Tall Paul workout. All fast kicks were with fins.

6 x 50 @ 1:00, single arm fly
    :30 rest
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (flutter with board, went 1:03 -- ugh)
    4 x 25 free @ :30
    1 x 50 scull

6 x 75 breast @ 1:25
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (backstroke, went :59)
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    1 x 50 fast AFAP kick (flutter w/board, high 26)
    1:00 rest
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 backstroke @ 1:45
    (In Paul's workout, these were intended as 200s.)
    1 x 50 AFAP kick (backstroke kick, high 24, cramped)
    1 x 50 scull

100 EZ

Total: 3450

Commentary:

This workout -- not the structure, just how I felt -- sucked. My body is still sore and fatigued from starting and acclimating back to drylands. The fast kicks were torture. And I didn't even have any "whine" last night. Or maybe I'm also tired from doing more swimming than usual? (Or I could blame it, and perhaps this is the more likely culprit, on my thyroid issue.) My flog says I'm at 13,200 in 3 days, thanks to the New Year's workout. No swimming tomorrow -- yoga + chiro.

New Blood Work:

Got another round of blood tests back after a month of BHRT and vitamin therapy:

hormones, mostly right
    thyroid, too low, increase dosage
    DHEA, too high
    Vit. D, too low
    Iron, too low (though I've found one, Hemagenics) that I can at least tolerate
    RBC Magnesium, still way too low, had to have an injection. This could be causing my frequent cramping (along with the thyroid problem).
    Core body temp, still 97.4 -- absolutely horrible for fat burning.

Questions:

1. Does anyone find that you can sleep off overtraining or hard regular training?

2. Anyone doing a standing cable chest fly? I see people doing these all the time at the gym, but I've never tried it. Good for swimming or not? Since it gets the pec major, it seems like it would be ...

Note:

Deer Geek, I really can't go to the Sunbelt Meet because our high school district championship swim meet is that weekend. I likely will be too decrepit in any event.

Updated January 4th, 2011 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday, Jan. 3

by , January 3rd, 2011 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

HS single leg extension, 30 x 2 x 8, each leg
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
    squat swing w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    russian twists w/plate on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    bicep curls, 40 x 2 x 8
    extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00
    (this bothered my shins, which are feeling kind of shin splinty after all that kicking with fins yesterday)

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had an hour to swim. Did the exact opposite of yesterday.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick with long MF:

16 x 25 shooters
    4 belly, 4 back, 4 right side, 4 left side

50 EZ

4 x broken 100 shooter
    5 seconds rest at each 25, all UW

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP Set:
    10 x 25 free w/15 meter burst @ :45

-- Forgot what the RA recommended interval was for this set. They were supposed to be on 1:00, not :45. I was wondering, as it seemed too little rest given the effort level. Felt sort of out of sync on these.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins AFAP (went 25)

-- This time reflects the fact that I haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks.

200 EZ

Total: 2200/1000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My left shoulder was a bit twinge-y, most likely from paddle use yesterday. I used the red strokemakers instead of the green ones. Probably better advised to stick with the smaller green ones. (Though I think they've disappeared in Mini Fort's equipment bag.) So I didn't do any push/pulls at the gym today and stuck with mostly core & leg work.

New Year's Resolutions:

I don't usually make these, as I'm pretty self motivated. But I think I can improve in 2 areas: go to sleep earlier and less SB/chard/pinot. I kicked this off by falling asleep at 11:30 pm last night, fairly early for me. I'm usually asleep at 12:30-1:00. I'll attempt a complete alcohol ban for awhile. I believe Speedo is doing this too until Zones? I see the benefits as improved sleep, minor weight loss, less dehydration (and hence possibly less cramping) and better absorption of vitamins.

Tentative 2011 Meets:

Very tentative revised plan, which has me at 9 meets, but 3-4 are multi-day. This is pushing it on the family front somewhat, and I doubt I'll make them all. I've never done this many travel meets before. But this gives me plenty to mull over, and I can adjust and subtract as needed. So far, there are no conflicts with Mr. Fort's running events through the marathon.

March 6, Warrenton Meet SCY
    -- cruise in late to swim a couple events.

March 19, Albatross Open SCM
    -- Probably rest 10 days or depending on how I feel. I suspect I'll need a major rest from training at this point.

April 16, Colonies Zones SCY
    -- I'll only compete on Saturday b/c I have to leave that afternoon for Boston for the marathon.

May 20-23, Canadian Nationals SCM (Montreal)
    -- Very tentative. Have to run this by Mr. Fort. This meet appeals to me b/c of location and b/c it's SCM. Need to get a link to the order of events. If I go, I'd do a full taper.

June 18-June 31, Cruise in Europe
    -- This throws a real wrench in LCM Nats in early August. I can see being forced to do something in the small ship pool, while hammering the drylands and cycle.

August 4-6, LCM Nats at Auburn
    -- I won't be in ideal shape for 100s with the timing of my vacation, but hopefully my speed won't disappear.

Late August, Colonies Zones, LCM, U of Md
    -- Assuming we have CZ at U of Md again this year, this would be better timing for a taper meet than Auburn. The only downside is that this meet is smaller and hence less rest. Other possible complications are a week at the beach and taking Fort Son to college.

September, Savageman Triathlon
    -- This year, I won't train for this event at all beyond doing 4 x 500 free one day or so. I will just hop in and go, hopefully without asthma problems this time. I have informed the two relay zealots of this fact.

October 15-16, Rowdy Gaines Classic SCM
    -- Probably won't go to this if I go to Canadian Nats. But I have already run this meet by Mr. Fort. Or I could do this meet in lieu of a December meet.

October 30, Sprint Classic, GMU, SCY

Mid-December, NE Champs or CZ Champs or local Last Minute Meet, SCM

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  10. New Years Practice, Sun., Jan. 2

by , January 2nd, 2011 at 01:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Got out of bed on time (after a night in DC no less!) and headed to GMU for the annual Swim in the New Year Practice:

111 x 50, done as:

20 x 50 warm up @ 1:00

-- Did 5 free, 5 back, 5 backstroke kick, 5 free
    -- Went much faster than my typical warm up on these

20 x 50 stroke:
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55

-- I did the third set evil kick. I think one New Year Resolution may be to give this up completely. I am abysmally slow.

20 x 50 pull
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40

-- Missed 2 50s on the second set b/c of a cap malfunction. Made them up at the end though.

2 x 50 EZ

20 x 50 w/fins @ :45

-- Barb and I switched the interval from :40 to :45, as we already knew what the next set was.
    -- I alternated 2 x 50 free or back with 2 x 50 backstroke kick throughout the set. I figured this was a good way not to lose count. There is an extremely small likelihood that I could actually count to 20 while simultaneously keeping track of when to go. I think this requires actual experience. Had some calf cramp issues during this set.

20 x 50 short rest free @ :40, can use equipment

-- I have to admit that I thought about doing a slower interval on this set. I was pretty tired, but I gave myself a mental pep talk and it actually went far better than expected.
    -- I went 5 x 50 free w/paddles & fins and then switched to 15 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins. I held the 50s kick at 31-32, really emphasizing dolphin kicking from the hips to spare the calves a bit. I clearly have more lower body endurance than upper body endurance.

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = easy
    evens = fast fly w/fins (went 28, 27, 26)

3 x 50 EZ (I did 5 x 50 EZ)

Total: 5550/2000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Survived! This may be the most yardage I've done as a master. This seems fairly wimpy after reading Patrick's blog, but it's along way for a drop dead sprinter. It's also hard to crank up the yardage when you're only doing 50s. But, for me, this was a great way to get in a solid aerobic effort. Really enjoyed the practice.

I took yesterday off completely and hadn't been in the water for 3 days as a result. I probably overdid it during the last week with all the free time to train, and the bikram yoga on New Years Eve really flattened me. I think I need to limit bikram to 1x week -- it takes too much out of me and interferes with swim training.

I'm not really ready to get back to the grind yet ...

Flogs:

Think I will flog this year. Do the flogs keep track of how many workouts you do (swim, weights, cycle, etc.) in addition to how much yardage you do? I'd be interested in that. I wish there was also a way to automatically tote up race pace efforts or kick yardage though. I may just manually keep track of that in the daily entries. Though I don't have a GTD goal, I arbitrarily set it at 300 miles, which for me would reflect consistency in training.

Updated January 2nd, 2011 at 08:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Backstroke Workout, Wed., Dec. 29

by , December 29th, 2010 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 backstroke drill @ 1:00

8 x 50 hypoxic kick @ 1:00

8 x 100 backstroke w/paddles @ 1:30

16 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    (went 1:11-12 on 1st 8 and 1:10-1:11 on 2nd 8)

-- I was sharing a lane at this point and backstroke kick is the easiest thing to do in half a lane.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/2200 kicking

Commentary:

Squeezed an aerobic workout in this am before hitting the hair salon for a marathon session on the red tresses. (One of Mini Fort's swim friends just went red, and I warned her about the difficulties of maintaining this color while swimming.)

I've done a lot of working out since 2:00 pm yesterday and am pretty tired. I will likely just hit the gym tomorrow. But I feel like I'm getting somewhat back in badass form.

Now off to dinner with friends!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Gym: 3 Hours, Dec. 28

by , December 28th, 2010 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

20 minutes on cycle

bicycles, 50
    long arm crunches, 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 20
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 2 x 5, each side
    total ab machine, 110 x 2 x 20 (love this machine b/c it gets the back too)
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 10
    skull crusher, 50 x 2 x 15
    leg press, 310 x 2 x 10
    seated lat pulldown, 90 x 2 x 10
    med ball slams, 10

RC Work, 10 minutes

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins

5 x 100 back w/paddles @ 1:45

10 x 25 breast drill (1 pull, 2 kicks)

-- also working on streamline with hands closer together for the pre-kick and a quicker pull down

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:35

10 x 25 backstroke kick
    15 SDKs, got to 16+ meters

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2500 meters

Commentary:

Got a substantial workout in today b/c I didn't have to drive Mini Fort to either of her practices. She did go to her first official winter crew practice today. She says she likes rowing.

I expect to be sore after today's effort. Still going with mostly aerobic work while I suffer through the soreness from recommencing drylands. Hate that stage!

I don't think I have to renew last year's new year's resolution to stretch more. Don't really have any resolution for this year yet. I guess I could stand to focus more on RC exercises. Unlike most, I don't have a GTD goal either, so I don't have to worry about year end yardage. But good luck to those who are getting after it!

Now I have to prep for a dinner party.
  13. Sunday, Dec. 26

by , December 26th, 2010 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100 @ 1:30 w/MF
    odds = w/board
    evens = on back

-- worked on emphasizing up kick

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF @ :30
    10 on back, 10 on belly

50 EZ

4 x through:
    100 breast pull w/buoy
    100 free pull w/paddles
    50 scull (25 front +25 back)

50 EZ

10 x (25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    -- worked on emphasizing up kick. When I do this, I do one less stroke per 25.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/1700 kicking

Drylands Lite:

Much needed RC Work, 15 minutes

flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 50
    reverse roll ins w/yoga ball, 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 10 x 2 x 20
    alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 30
    goblet squat, 50 x 2 x 15
    forward lunges, 30 x 1 x 15
    standing lat pulldown, 90 x 3 x 10

Yoga/Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

Busted my long 28 inch monofin out of storage today. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2183.htm. I don't like this one as much as the Finis shooter MF, but I seem to have misplaced my fav toy somehow. However, this MF is good for aerobic kicking, technique work/streamlining and core/leg work (just not fast kicking -- at least for me in SCY). I wouldn't recommend this one for anyone with lower back issues though.

Still following my plan of starting the season off with aerobic work and lots of kicking, as I ease back into drylands. Can't believe I haven't been to the gym in a month!

Had a lovely Xmas. SR gifts included Dara's newest book and a USMS shammy sweatshirt (it was featured in Streamlines a month or so ago). Saw The Fighter last night -- quite good. True Grit and The Black Swan are on my list to see before New Years. Mr. Fort and I are also renting some Coen Brothers movies this week. So glad the storm is missing the DC area!!! No desire to be housebound this week.

Updated December 26th, 2010 at 06:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  14. 12 Swim-Kicks of Xmas Eve, Friday, Dec. 24

by , December 24th, 2010 at 02:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I read Stud's workout this am and decided to swipe and modify it to my own kick-centric version. Took about :30 seconds rest between sets.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

12 x 50 @ 1:00
    warm up: 4 free/4 kick/4 free

11 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = breast drill
    evens = breast pull w/buoy

9 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 UW shooter on back + 25 easy back kick
    only hit the bottom a couple times

8 x 50 free w/paddles & fins @ :50
    I couldn't find my regular green paddles, so used some larger red ones I found in the family sport closet. Size does make a difference when it comes to paddles. Felt like I was flying with no effort.

7 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ :50

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy DAB

5 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ :50

4 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00

3 x 50 chest press fly drill @ :15 RI

2 x 50 easy free

1 x 50 dolphin dive

Total: 4000 meters/1500 kick

Commentary:

Still in slow mo aerobic mode, but feel like I'm finally coming out of my cold funk.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Thursday, Dec.23

by , December 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

Main Sets:

12 x 150 w/fins @ 2:30, done as
    100 swim (4 of each stroke, drill fly)
    + 5 seconds rest to don nose clip
    + 50 hypoxic dolphin kick on back (breath only after flags)

50 EZ

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = breast drill
    evens = fly drill

50 EZ

Total: 2800

Commentary:

Still battling the evil cold. But felt slightly less congested the last two days after swimming. Not much energy though, which was not helped by having 8 vials of blood drawn this am for more blood tests.

Still, I feel like I'm at least maintaining feel and focusing on technique some with these easy workouts. I felt better today in the pool than I did yesterday after being out of the water for so long. Going to try and get in a quick swim tomorrow before the festivities begin. There may be snow on Xmas day, which could result in pool closures given the general panic that ensues here. Really ready to get back to drylands and yoga soon.

Both fridges/freezers are completely stocked with food, wine and drinks. Now I'm off to start a fire, play gin rummy with Lil Fort and wrap presents.

Updated December 23rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Wed., Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2010 at 01:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still battling this nasty cold, but I may be winning ... Of course, as I've had it for 10+ days, I'm not sure this should really be described as "winning." After 5 days off, I tottered over to the pool today for a short aerobic workout:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = single arm fly
    odds = breast drill

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 shooter + 25 scull (alternate front & back)

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free
    evens = flutter kick with board

100 EZ

Total: 2400

Commentary:

The pool was more crowded than usual with college kids home for the holidays. My masters team has most of its regularly scheduled practices over the holiday season except for Xmas day. I'm hoping I feel well enough to attend a few. I've never attended our New Year practice, as I'm typically out of town, and would like to. This year, it's 111 x 50.

I'm worried that long swim meets make me sick. I seem to have had major illnesses after my last couple taper meets where I've been in the pool area all day until 5-6:00 at night. Maybe the poor air quality does a number on my apparently impaired immune system?

Mini Fort is planning her own boot camp of sorts during the holidays. I'm hoping to join her for some of it. Not feeling quite up to drylands yet though. And, no matter. Mini is now in possession of her driver's license and her life is "amazing" as a result.

Updated December 22nd, 2010 at 01:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. PM Swim at GMU, Thurs., Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2010 at 09:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Slept in today, trying to battle my cold. And I think it's holding at just a cold. Woke up to snow and schools closed 2 hours early. Was feeling slightly better, so decided to head to practice at Mason tonight. And, honestly, I didn't feel like thinking up my own practice. And I definitely didn't feel like any sprint work. It'll just be aerobic & technique work for a couple weeks as I regroup.

Got there early -- no traffic, everyone scared of 2 inches of snow -- did 15 minutes of core work and stretching while chatting with Melanie.

Swim @ Mason:

Warm up:

600 swim, middle 200 no free

400 IM, 50 kick/50 drill

600 pull
    I didn't have my paddles and wouldn't have pulled in any event w/o getting my RC exercises going again. So instead did 6 x 100 back kick w/fins @ mod pace @ 1:30.

Main Sets:

6 x 150, done as 100 IM + 50 dolphin kick on back w/fins @ 2:15 (It's been so long since I did a 100 IM in practice, I'd almost forgotten how to do one.)

50 EZ

7 x 100 @ 1:50
    1-3 kick, no fins, descend to fast
    4 = easy free
    5-7 kick, no fins, descend to fast

I descended to medium. Went 10-8-8-8 SDK per 25.

50 EZ

Starting to feel absolutely gassed and crampy here ...

3 x through:
    2 x 75 medium @ 1:15
    2 x 25 fast @ :30
    30 seconds extra rest between rounds
    wore fins, very tired

round 1 = free
    round 2 = non free (did breast)
    round 3 = kick

I had no fast gear and did all the 25s as easy speed UW shooters

100 EZ

Total: 4100/1950 kick

Commentary:

I'd almost forgot what a regular workout was like ... Thursday nights at Mason are always fun b/c Cheryl gives a mix of stroke/kick/sprint. I'm beat from that effort and pretty glad that school is already delayed 2 hours in the am. More sleep!

Updated December 17th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Vid + Recovery Swim, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2010 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

100 easy

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    5 x back/belly/right side/left side

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

10 minutes hot tub

The showers weren't working and were frigid!

Commentary:

Still pretty beat from the weekend. And the cold I was getting before is now in full force. Better now than at the meet, I guess. Hoping to go to yoga tomorrow. I seem to recall I have another PRP treatment this week as well. Finally heard of another swimmer (Nuthin But 50s) who's going to try PRP in lieu of surgery on his ACL.

100 back vid:

Stud video'd my 100 back (1:10.26) from NE Champs. Videos are always very revealing. I was underwater more than I thought despite the calf cramp. Even managed what looked like 9 SDKs on the last 25. My turnover seemed very slow and I was crossing over with my left arm. I don't usually do that. I was definitely lounging leisurely into my last couple turns. That could be party due to my unfamiliarity with backstroke flags set at 5 meters instead of 5 yards. Splits = 33.68/36.58.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlapHo1HHc"]YouTube - P1020994[/nomedia]

Same slow turnover from my 100 back in Atlanta (1:01.9), though I was underwater more there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube - Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

Tom Dolan Meet:

This was the first time in years I missed spectating and cheering at this meet. Fortunately, there was great coverage on swimming world tv. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../workouts/7540. Jack Conger's 1:43.1 200 back was amazing! I also liked comment that Janet Hu (NAG record holder and winner of the 100 fly here) trains frequently with a monofin. Mine is still awol.

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 06:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Thursday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2010 at 05:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various

2 x (15 bursts (free, dolphin kick) + 35 EZ)

2 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

4 x 25 shooters

100 back

100 free

Total: 1000

15 minutes hottub

Yoga/Stretching, 2 x 15 minutes

Commentary:

Felt pretty good today. Good DPS. Left shoulder is nagging a bit, but I think it's from tossing and turning while sleeping. Though I must admit I've shirked my RC exercises again. I'll probably just ice it tonight.

Quick posted this vid re: Nick Thoman on backstroke SDK on Speedo's blog and I just wanted to share it here as well:

Love that SDKs are for the "not so tall" and flexible." My height, or lack thereof, is usually such a disadvantage in this sport.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpN9fOGu9s"]YouTube - Underwater Backstroke Kick with David Marsh and Nick Thoman[/nomedia].

Need to finish packing. Hate packing, very tedious.

And very proud of my Mini Fort. At her volleyball banquet, she won Hardest Worker. She's currently playing lumbaro and outside hitter on her club team. Outside hitter -- despite her diminutive height. She has the highest vertical jump on her team. Shall we say sprinter?

I'm going to miss not seeing the Tom Dolan meet this year for the first time in years ... Not sure how many masters swimmers are there, but I know Wally Dicks tapered for it.

Updated December 9th, 2010 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Wed., Dec. 8

by , December 8th, 2010 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Sets:

14 x 50
    odds = 25 EZ speed fly or shooter
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (15 burst dolphin + 35 EZ)

1 x 25 fast free + 75 EZ

1 x 25 fast breast + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 1750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Whoa, really got carried away with all that yardage today. Still didn't feel easy speed, but felt lighter in the water. I definitely have a case of the taper hypers -- got massive errands done today. Got more sleep, but have been waking up at 6:00 am (high schoolers are stirring at this time) and having trouble falling back asleep. This happens sometimes during taper, I guess. Trying desperately not to catch Lil Fort's cold ...

Big next couple weeks ...

3 days to NE Champs
    7 days until Fort Son gets probable early decision ding
    12 days until Mini Fort gets her drivers license
    not enough days to get xmas stuff done ...

Started stocking up/packing for Boston: gus, chews, energy drinks, electrolytes & efuel, extra nose clips, new pair of goggles, 3 tech suits, gluten free bagels ... My 2 Speedo kneeskins have seen a fair number of meets between Mini and me -- 4-5 for her and 3 for me. This means they're likely both pretty stretched out. Still, we plan on using these and my B70 kneeskin (one meet) as long as possible. I'm hoping they can last through NE Champs, high school champs meets, and the Albatross meet. I also have a Q suit that Roque kindly sent me, but it was awfully tight on top for me last time I tried it. May try it again and/or see how Mini likes the fit.

Has anyone used Endurance Excel? I bought it today by accident; thought I was picking up endurolytes.

Updated December 8th, 2010 at 08:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts