View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Friday, Feb. 19

by , February 19th, 2010 at 07:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Drylands:

15 minutes med ball slamming in racquetball court*
    goblet squat, 65 x 3 x 15
    bicep curl, 50 x 1 x 10, 40 x 1 x 10
    Icarian lever incline pull 85(?) x 3 x 15
    overhead squats, 45 bar x 2 x 10
    (these were harder than usual, guess I hadn't done them in awhile)
    hanging straight leg raise, 2 x 15
    (wrist is fine now)
    squat swing w/25 lb plate, 1 x 15
    (forgot to do 2nd set)
    standing overhead cable tricep press, 60 x 1 x 15, 65 x 1 x 15
    russian twist on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    push ups, 2 x 15

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    ball on wall, 2 x 100

* I have been keeping my nails longer since before the NE meet pursuant to Ande's tip. [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=132588"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster[/ame]. But med ball slamming is murder on the nails. Broke another one today.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Drill/Aerobic Sets:

40 x 50, done as:

10 x 50 Wolfy russian breast drill @ 1:00
    (this is exhausting if done right)

10 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

10 x 50 easy speed double shooters w/MF @ 1:00
    (went 24-25)
    (if I concentrate on kicking both ways, I usually take one less kick per length. well, doh.)

9 x 50 IM order @ 1:00 + 50 EZ

I did the spin turn on the 3 back to breast 50s. I'm just going to call this "The Roddin." I think if I practiced it, it would be faster for me. I just couldn't spend quite as much time underwater in backstroke perhaps. The one issue is that I am most comfortable touching on my left hand and flipping to the left. Not so much to the right. The Roddin turn feels more natural for me than the flip turn I experimented with a couple years ago. I need to consult Ande's Tips. I recall he has a tip and various videos of this turn that I should review.

The IM 50s felt very odd, just confirming that I occasionally need to do more IM type sets where I am switching strokes.

I wish we could swim the IM any way we want. I think I'd go fly, breast, free, back.

100 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x (25 AFAP swim w/fins + 25 EZ) @ around 1:15-1:30, didn't really keep track of interval
    did 2 of each stroke

100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP kick w/fins & Board + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

It's easier for me to recover from kick sprints than swim sprints ...

100 EZ

5 x 1:00 VK
    odds = breast
    evens = dolphin

5 minutes hot tub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Another glorious day with no cramps. Woohoo! I think Ande should write a tip on Smart Water. It seems to work for me.

I felt like I got back in the groove somewhat today. Tomorrow, I am planning to hit the gym with Mini Fort. (I really need a new nickname for Mini Fort, as she is my size; it's starting to sound dumb to my eats.) Sunday, I am going to the GMU AM practice (woohoo!) and may hit hot yoga with a friend at 4:00.
    Otherwise, a rare weekend of no meets, no games, no frantic running around.

I am feeling mighty pleased that Speedo and I may actually get to do a couple relays at Nats together.

OK, just ate a raw food spirulina bar and and am off to cook sauteed veggies and salmon for dinner shortly.

Updated February 19th, 2010 at 08:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Thursday, Feb. 18

by , February 18th, 2010 at 10:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

My Thursday workout buddy was still sick, so I swam a sprinty workout solo.

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 25 shooter on back, no fins

Short Axis Speed Set w/Fins:

2 rounds of:

4 x 25, odds = AFAP, evens = EZ
    4 x 50, odds = AFAP, evens = EZ
    3 x 75, odds = EZ, even = fast
    3 x 100, odds = EZ, even = fast

1st round = breast
    went 33, 31.5 ish on the 50s
    went 52 ish on the 75, clocks weren't synched
    went 1:09-10 on fast 100

2nd round = fly
    went 25s on the 50s
    went easy speed on 75 and 100
    went easy free or back kick on the EZ portions
    on the 75 fly, tried breathing every stroke
    on the 100 fly, tried breathing 2 up, 1 down (went 1:00)
    I like 2 up, 1 down breathing better

Sprint Kick Set:

10 x 50 kick w/board & MF,
    25 haul ass AFAP + 25 EZ

100 EZ

5 x 1:00 vertical kicking
    odds = breast
    evens = dolphin

Vertical kicking is pretty much just a drill for me. I work on keeping the knees together and kick narrow in evil and work on kicking both sides on dolphin. If I want to make it tougher, I need to add a med ball. But I think I'll work on explosive streamline VKs now as well.

50 EZ

Total: 3000 + VK

Yoga:

Did about 40 of the 60 minutes of Bryan Kest's power yoga. http://www.yoga.com/store/product.asp?Product_ID=2622.

+ 3 x 15 push ups

Commentary:

I think it's definitely time to shift back into speed and power swimming. I feel like I've lost a bit of speed and I don't feel as strong. I may not even swim another 200 the rest of the year, so it's back to some CVDB type training. I'm REALLY hoping I can hit the gym tomorrow, though my "to do" list is daunting.

I was talking about my evil pull with Mini Fort today. I'm still apparently doing it somewhat wrong. She prescribes windshield wiper sculling. This is where you scull on your stomach with elbows bent on the surface of the water and forearms and hands beneath the water moving in a windshield wiper pattern. Sounds kinda hard, but I'll give it a try on a drill/recovery day.

I'm still mulling over the Warrenton meet on March 14. http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Drea...imMeet2010.pdf. I'm just worried I'll be too exhausted for the Albatross meet the following weekend. Perhaps if I only swim 2-3 events on one day it won't kill me ... Any suggestions on events? I know it's odd, very odd in fact, but I have an urge to repeat the 100 breast. And maybe the 50 free.

I made it through the workouts without a cramp today! Woohoo. I also realized my fav new raw food energy bar is only 150 calories.

And I am swearing off chips and eliminating them from the house. I had another late night snack of vegan brown rice seal salt chips. Sounds innocent and healthy enough, right? Noooo. I looked at the package this morning. 6 oz of chips = 840 calories. Holy crap! 10 chips is one serving (really?!) Since I am unable to just eat 10 chips, I will have to purge the pantry. Forget about racing weight, all I need to do it cut chips. lol
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Lost Mojo, Wed., Feb 17

by , February 17th, 2010 at 08:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm feeling like I've lost my mojo somewhat the last week or so. Being nauseous and rashy doesn't help. I did manage to get to the pool after a non-exercising morning. I left practice early to get my Mathlete, only to get a text that her meeting was cancelled.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

8 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

8 x 50, done as 25 easy speed fly w/fins +25 EZ

Hybrid Set: Hypoxic/Speed/VK:

8 rounds of:
    (had wanted to do 10 rounds)

1 x 100 back kick, no fins
    1-2 11 SDKs per length
    3-4 12 SDKs per length
    5-6 13 SDKs per length
    7-8 14 SDKs per length

1:00 vertical kicking
    4 evil, 4 dolphin at good tempo

1 x 50, done as 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    2 of each stroke

1:00 vertical kicking
    4 evil, 4 dolphin at good tempo

I liked interspersing the fast 25s throughout the set. I may do more of this. I recall Ian Smith saying he uses this tactic.

1 fast swim:

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins (:24)

100 EZ

Total: 3200 + 16 minutes of VK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I really meant to go the gym today and do core work, but couldn't get there this morning. Like Geek, I'm a single parent this week. Between that and having to lead book club and teach art history to my youngest's GT class on Thursday and Friday, I'm sunk for time this week ... I'm going to see if I can summon some energy to do power yoga or P90X the next couple evenings or otherwise squeeze it in. Not feeling up to it tonight. And I haven't done my RC work in days ...

And, despite drinking 50 ounces of Smart water his am, taking calcium/magnesium/potassium supplements, having coconut water in a smoothie and wearing compression socks for 2 days, I still got cramps in my right calf at practice.

I think I'm going to shift into more strength and speed work now. I've done a fair amount of aerobic work both in the gym and in the pool since NE Champs. Time to turn on the firepower. Tomorrow, I might do a modified version of Ande's workout today or a workout I did on Oct. 8 (partially with Pete). And I have to see if Pete is free.

Apart from that, I need to HTFU and/or adopt the hair shirt approach.

Breaststroke Tips:

Ande sent me the following links which emphasize a fast insweep and recovery/thrust in breast:

watch tara kirk swim br
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gisab41Ag"]YouTube- Tara Kirk Fan Video[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RM94U8UUuE&feature=related"]YouTube- Tara Kirk continues winning ways[/ame]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfV_mACQlrU&feature=related"]YouTube- Tara Kirk wins second gold medal[/nomedia].

I'm also trying to follow the Megan Jendrick tip from Swimmer magazine on the recovery after the pulldown. As I recall, she says to turn the palms up immediately and keep your hands under your body to reduce drag.

Energy Bars:

After making myself sick from food, I decided to double check the ingredients of the new energy bars I've been eating. They seems to be "safe." They're gluten free, dairy free, raw, vegan, nut free, organic, seed sprouted, no TFs, etc etc.

http://www.goraw.com/index.php

(I really like the banana bread flax bar.)

http://www.rawindulgence.com/

The only potential problem, I guess, is that a couple of them contain coconut. I'm going to try to get the gluten out of my system and see how I feel continuing with coconut water or bars containing a minimal amount of coconut. I see that avocados are on the "bad" list for me, and that is devastating news as well.

B70 Service:

As usual, B70 had great customer service and immediately agreed to replace my torn suit. That's a relief.

Updated February 17th, 2010 at 10:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Stole Geek's Workout, Tuesday, Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2010 at 10:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I felt the need for a recovery swim today and Geek's workout fit the bill perfectly. I swam at Oak Marr as I was headed to Wegman's to purchase healthy and gluten free products. Speedo was there doing his kick set. The poor guy looked a little green. Hope he's better soon. I need my Thursday workout buddy.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

4 rounds of:

6 x 50 drill w/fins @ :55
    (1 round of each stroke)
    50 EZ
    200 pull*
    50 EZ

* I even used Speedo's finis freestyler paddles! They felt very odd, but then I never pull. I did skip the last 200 pull to do the last 2 100 kicks @ 1:20 with Speedo. I just cruised them and went 1:05-6. It was clear my legs didn't want to go faster.

100 EZ

12 x 50 breast drill @ 1:00
    6 = alternate PLD breast w/regular breast kick
    6 = breast pull

50 EZ

5 x 1:00 VK
    odds = breast
    evens = dolphin

100 EZ

Total: 3550

Yoga

I was supposed to go to the gym with Mini Fort, but was running late. So we did 45 minutes of the Beryl Bender Birch's power yoga DVD. http://www.yourexercisedvds.com/yoga...ower-yoga.html. This was mostly the stretching phase, which was fine with me b/c I didn't need serious power yoga today. I enjoyed the DVD, which was recommended by Jaegermeister. It had the standard sun salutation vinyasa series at the beginning, but then shifted into quick changes of position. Mini Fort and I are both better at the forward and backward bending poses than the twisting poses. I wonder why this is?

An aquavelo/swimmer friend sent me this article on yoga today. Sasha Cohen, the figure skater is a fan.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ga-cohen_N.htm.

I typically think I have pretty decent upper body strength, but I cannot do that arm balancing pose she's demonstrating. This must take some practice.

Breaststroke Video:

As promised, here is the youtube link to my 100 breast video that SwimShark was kind enough to take and download. I sent it to Allen Stark. His reaction was that my kick likely wasn't that bad as I was getting good DPS. He said my head position was the worst part of my stroke, and that it was killing momentum. I've been trying to work on this, but sometimes I mentally check out on this component when racing breast as I'm preoccupied with the other elements of the stroke. I may have to do the tennis ball drill. My pullouts were long, as I thought, but I did have to float to the surface a couple times and concentrate on not flutter kicking.

One funny note from the meet. Dave Holland was also swimming his first ever master's 100 breast in the heat or two after me. He asked the timers (kids) how many dolphin kicks he was allowed to take. Then, like a pro and a flyer, he dove in and promptly took a dolphin kick before he started the pull down. lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqrxLq8mB6w"]YouTube- Leslie's 100 breast split[/ame]

Oh, and my splashy start is beyond appalling. I think I need to find Wolfy's 10 tips for starts. This is when I wish I had a coach ...

WSJ Article on Lactose Intolerance:

Today's WSJ had an article on lactose intolerance, which was quite interesting. The NIH is meeting next week to ponder, among other things, why adults become lactose intolerant and produce diminished lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose). "Scientists have discovered that most people develop some degree of lactose intolerance as they get older." The article theorizes that there may be a section of DNA that turns the lactase system on and off.

One response is to "train the bacteria" and not cut lactose out entirely despite the symptoms. They even suggest that people with lactose intolerance should be able to tolerate 1-2 glasses of milk. Apparently, calcium simply cannot be replaced with other foods (like spinach) without eating vast quantities. I'm not taking this advice. Milk and whey make me positively sick and bloated. I am trying to take lactase enzymes on the rare occasion that I eat something with lactose in it. My doc told me not to take just one tablet, but perhaps 2-3 before and after ingestion of lactose. As for training the bacteria to be more effective, I am ingesting more bacteria in the form of probiotics (doc recommendation).

Here's the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ose+intolerant

New Book:

Jaegermeister mentioned to me that he had read the first Michael Pollan book on nurition and enjoyed it. As it turns out, I have Food Rules, his second book, on my nightstand. I may give that a go next.

Commentary:

Not my fav day. I was still somewhat nauseous and itchy most of the day. And I couldn't find my benadryl or anti-itch cream last night. This gluten free stuff sucks big time. I think I might possibly have made it through the day without glutening myself. I'm hoping to get to both the gym and pool tomorrow. However, the recovery workout did feel very nice, albeit very slow.

Mini-rant:

The Fontress or Fortness or whoever it is can just FOAD. It's one thing to poke fun and call me a whiner (which I readily admit) on the forum, but quite another to offensively defile a photo of mine that was on Facebook. (I don't believe I ever had it as my profile pic, but I could be wrong.) It's rather perturbing that a masters swimmer "friend" would do that. This is the downside of having a public blog. Debate the issues, but don't be an insipid idiot coward.

Updated February 16th, 2010 at 10:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  5. Friday, Feb. 12

by , February 12th, 2010 at 08:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

750 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins @ 200 pace (27.5)

50 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    2 free, 2 breast

50 EZ

Total: 1900

Commentary:

Felt pretty decent in the water today despite my lack of H2O this week. Had some easy speed and good DPS. Leaving tomorrow am for Richmond.

Made the mistake of taking a few young kids to see The Lightning Thief. The mall was completely overrun, parking and driving was a mess. I just don't have the patience for that nonsense. Had total mall syndrome ...

Off to pack for Richmond now and will stretch later. I've found that I tend to do it if my yoga mat is out. Odd little psychological trick.

Absolutely no reading occurred today.

Updated February 12th, 2010 at 09:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11

by , February 11th, 2010 at 06:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Desperate for a swim, I spent almost two hours driving back and forth to swim at the Freedom Center. But it was worth it! It seemed like it was set up SCM to me. I had to restrain myself not to overdo it. But I'm up to 2 swims the week before my meet. I think I'll get a short one in sometime tomorrow too.

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins @ :35

10 x 25 shootes on belly w/fins @ :35

50 EZ

5 x 50 PLD breast @ 1:15 @ 200 pace or maybe 150 pace

50 EZ

12 X 25
    odds = easy speed fly @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ

Got kicked out of the pool by a USA team. Had to move over to a shallow pool. Had contemplated doing a fast 50 back, but nixed it since I was sharing a lane and it was 4 feet deep.

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 dolphin dive (the only fun part about shallow pools)

Total: 2450

Planning on stretching and RC work tonight.

Commentary:

Felt decent. After 4 days of rest, the legs don't feel that rested though. I'm increasingly convinced that a 3 week taper is necessary to adequately rest them to perform at the highest level (given the pummeling they routinely get).

I've been sleeping an obscene amount this week. I feel like I'm in semi-hibernation. It's going to be difficult to get back on a schedule of rising relatively early ...

Notes on Racing Weight Con't:

1. Tailor you carb intake to match your training. The more or harder you train, the more carbs you need. Low levels of carb intake will hinder endurance performance during heavy training.

2. A trained athlete burns carbs at a rate of almost 1 gram pr minute even during moderate exercise.

3. High quality carbs include: whole heat bagel, banana, whole wheat bread, whole grain breakfast cereal, brown rice, lentils, oatmeal, orange juice, baked potato, whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, low fat yogurt with fruit.

4. Don't worry about fat. Far doesn't make us fat. The typical endurance athletes gets 30-35% of calories from fat. Just worry about getting the right amount of carbs and total calories. There is flexibility in fat intake and it should not prevent you from reaching your ideal racing weight.

5. "The balance of scientific and real world evidence suggests that, in general, endfurane thletes shoujld not go out of thir way to eat a lot of protein. If you're eating enough for optimal performance (10-25%), eating more will have no effect on your performance.

6. Recommended macronutrient ranges: carbs 40-80%, fat 20-40%, protein 10-25%.

7. To ensure your energy sources are properly balanced, it is advised to do a dietary audit for 3 days. There is a nutrition tracker on www.racingweight.com.

8. Eat early! Regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner. Eating early causes overall reduced appetite and reduced eating throughout the day. Before early am workouts, one should consume a small dose of easily absorbable carbs (sport drink, banana, smoothie, yogurt).

9. Eating frequently does not increase metabolism. It may reduce appetite. But eating frequently only works if you don't overeat at the small meals.

10. Consume at least 100 grams of carbs before workouts. Eat during exercise. There is no difference between a high calorie sport drinks and a low cal one in terms of increased endurance. Eating after exercise promotes leanness.

Next chapter: Controlling Your Appetite

Note: Vive sent me a note observing the following: "One of the reviewers of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight on Amazon says the author repeats some now discredited physiology info. No biggy, says the reviewer. But it looks like a bit of caution might be useful in translating some of the specifics."

I have never carefully tracked my diet. However, I think I have 3 flaws: (1) I don't eat enough early in the day, though I do always eat breakfast, (2) I always snack at 11:00 pm, and (3) I may overeat and not exercise portion control at times, particularly at dinner.

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Success! Tuesday, Feb. 9

by , February 9th, 2010 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Whew! Got a swim in today. The Rec Centers opened at noon. It was pretty packed when I arrived, but emptied out fairly quickly. All the regulars were there getting their swims in, including Cage Fighter. He claimed to be "horribly" out of shape after 4 days of no FISH practices. Anyway, I was feeling pretty battered from my deep tissue massage (takes me 2-3 days to recover from these), so I just swam slowly and re-established feel.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

750 various

Drill sets:

10 x 25, shooters on belly
    10 x 25, evens = easy speed fly, odds = easy
    10 x 25, shooters on back

50 EZ

5 x 100 PLD breast @ 2:00
    working on long pullouts

50 EZ

Mini Aerobic Set:

8 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00
    working on breakouts

50 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    odds = fast doggie paddle drill (an Allen Stark drill)
    evens = fast free

Free didn't feel as bad as I expected.

100 EZ

Total: 3150

Commentary:

This is a pretty typical pre-meet workout for me. I suppose I could have done a fast 50 or two, but I was feeling like a lazy sprinter. And my legs are still feeling heavy and beat up from the Sunday drylands and deep tissue massage. This too shall pass by the weekend I hope. I doubt I'll get in a swim tomorrow. The snow has already started and it's supposed to be very heavy tonight.

2010 Meets:

Richmond Meet:

I had to look up what I was swimming this weekend, as I couldn't recall. One event of each stroke: 200 back, 100 evil (split on a 200), 50 free, 100 fly. I'm happy to count for anyone who needs a counter on Saturday in Richmond. The last time I swam a 200 back (Jan 2009), I went 2:22.3 (had to look that up). I recall I didn't take many SDKs after the start, as I was terrified of going into oxygen debt. I think this time, I'll likely take 5-6 off each turn and take my chances. On the 100 evil, I'm aiming for long pullouts. I have no idea what I'll go in this event, and no recollection of any of my age group times in this stroke. Hopefully, I won't get DQ'd by spacing out on the second 100 ... In the 100 fly, I'd like to best my best in season time, which I believe is a 1:04+. The 50 free is the usual crapshoot. This might be the only time I swim it this year.

Albatross Meet:

I also entered the Albatross meet last night on line: 100 fly, 50 back, 100 back and 50 free. All times sandbagged. I'll likely do my usual 3-5 days rest that consists mostly of knocking off drylands and weights.

Colonies Zones:

I'm mulling over my events for Colonies Zones. I'm leaning toward:

Sat:

100 free
    50 breast
    100 fly

Sun:

100 IM
    50 fly
    100 back

I'm swimming a lot of relays at this meet, most likely, so no need to pile on too many individual events. This would be the first time I haven't swum 50 back there if I do this lineup ... But it's at the end of the day before our 400 medley relay and right after 100 fly. (But perhaps I'll lead off a relay and get a time.) KPN is planning on attending this meet as well, though she doesn't know what events she's swimming.

Racing Weight:

Mr. Fort, I and our Savageman relay mate were chatting about the NYT article on weight/fitness the other night. He loaned us his book entitled "Racing Weight: How To Get Lean for Peak Performance." I scanned some of the early sections on swimming and found the following nuggets:

Swimmers have the highest average body fat of any endurance athlete.

"Swimming is not a natural human activity, so it is no surprise that the typical elite swimmer's body has unusual characteristics .... tall, long torso, long arms, large feet, loose ankles, double jointed elbows/knees/ankles."

"An interesting question is whether body fat percentages are somewhat higher for swimmers than in other endurance athletes because athletes with more body fat tend to excel in swimming or because swim training does not reduce body fat levels as much as other aerobic activity, or because swimmers eat more than other endurance athletes." (Personally, I agree with #2 & #3, but not #1.)

"When researchers matched body fat percentages in endurance athletes against finishing times, they found that the men and women with the leanest bodies were also the fastest."

"Body fat makes only a minimal positive contribution to endurance performance ... any excess body fat beyond the essential required for health worsens endurance performance ... performance increases as body fat is lost because of gains in efficiency ... As body fat goes down, aerobic capacity goes up because muscle has less competition from fat tissue for oxygen and fuel."

"The greatest weight management challenge that competitive swimmers face is that of increasing swim specific strength and power, which typically requires gaining some muscle ... The benefits of pure muscle strength and power are greater in swimming than in every other endurance sport except rowing." (1997 study of Greek national team)

"At the elite level, every sport evolves in the direction of effective innovation and in the last decade or so, one of the most significant innovations in elite swimming is a much greater commitment to strength training."

I have to now read the chapters on balancing energy sources, nutrient timing, managing appetite, training for racing weight, and the role of supplements.

NYT Journal:

I'm just catching up on this a couple weeks late, but there was an interesting short article in the NYT Magazine about how endurance athletes are "internally fit." Apparently, exercise has an anti-aging effect at the molecular level. The fitter a person was in middle age, the younger their cells were (found by measuring telomeres and telomerase activity).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Snowpocalypse Workout, Sat. Feb. 6

by , February 6th, 2010 at 05:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The 3 feet of snow arrived and we are totally snowed in. Well, except for all the shoveling that Mr. Fort and Fortson did. (See below. Poor Jimi's guest cottage is unapproachable.) This is definitely the most snow I've ever seen here. So I fired up the DVDs off and on today and did:

Drylands:

P90X Legs & Back, 60 minutes:

This is the first time I tried this DVD. My brother thinks it's tougher than the P90X plyo DVD, which is not for lightweights. The leg exercises are listed in this link: http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...-legs-and-back. The one legged wall squats were killer. I had to skip the "back" part of the workout -- chin ups and pull ups. I did roll outs with my power wheel during these segments. This is a a very lunge intensive DVD.

P90X Ab Killer, 15 minutes:

This was on the same DVD as above, so I just kept on going. The exercises and entire workout are found in this link: http://www.freeworkoutguides.com/wor...ripper-workout.

Other:

5 rounds of:

prone scapular scrunches, 25
    alternating hammers w/10 lb DBs, 30
    3 position arm extensions, 30
    1:00 jump rope

Yoga, 70 minutes:

I wasn't feeling up to power yoga after the above workouts, so I decided to try the Yoga Shakti DVD again. I liked it much better the second time around. I did about 70 minutes of the Solar Flow 2. It did have a lot of upward and downward dogs in the first 20 minutes, but there were fewer as I got past the warrior sequences. This routine focused on twisting poses and some standing hand poses. Some of the latter were insanely hard. I cannot even remotely do the 3rd one in this link: http://www.yoga-poses-and-beyond.com...yogaposes.html.

I noticed that there is a "yoga matrix" feature to this DVD where you can customize a workout and select the poses you like and avoid those you don't. This seems fantastic and I'm going to give it a try.

I have to admit Gigi was right about this DVD.

Commentary:

Legs and glutes are very tired after this! I feel like I spent most of the day lunging, balancing, and doing forward bends and backbends. There was a lot of balancing in the P90X DVD as well as the yoga DVD. Mini snapped one pic of me during yoga while calling me an exercise "freak." lol

I think we'll be able to get out tomorrow as we live on a fairly major road that gets plowed quickly. Some people on side roads may be stuck for days. I feel very fortunate that we have not lost power. The snow did knock out our satellite unfortunately. There is some Super Bowl panic ...

Prelim Top Ten:

A friend alerted me that the prelim TT is out: http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php.

These are my best rankings ever:

50 free, 3rd
    50 back, 2nd
    50 fly, 2nd
    50 breast, 1st
    100 back, 3nd
    100 fly, 4th
    100 IM, 4th

Thank goodness I age up slightly before KPN!

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 07:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020067.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	6334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020076.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020080.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	6336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020074.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	6337  
  9. Snowmageddon, Friday, Feb. 5

by , February 5th, 2010 at 02:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The weather forecast is for 2-3 feet of snow between now and tomorrow night! I can't really remember a storm of that magnitude ... perhaps one about 12 -14 years ago. I slept in this morning and headed to the pool around 11:00. And not a minute too late. I was just finishing my workout when they closed the pool. After the thrashing of the legs the last week or so (10,000+ yards in 8 days), I had a recovery/drill type workout planned. I actually felt pretty refreshed afterward, and was glad I didn't attempt any heavy duty aerobic work. I kinda doubt I'll be able to swim this weekend with the predicted weather.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Drill Set #1:

2 x 150 fly drills
    (50 caterpillar, 50 chest press, 50 single arm)

4 x 100 single arm fly @ 1:45

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = Geek's human paddle drill using an underwater freestyle recovery -- I liked this drill, good for correcting my tendency to overreach with my left arm among other things.
    evens = PLD breast

50 EZ

Speed Set:

8 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

Definitely felt a bit slower than usual on these, but glad I did them.

100 EZ

Drill Set #2:

10 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = evil pull w/pull buoy
    odds = evil kick

5 x 1:00 minute vertical kicking, continuous
    dolphin-evil-dolphin-evil-dolphin

100 EZ

Pool Closed!

Total: 3250 + VK

P90X Yoga:

My kids are all playing in the snow or otherwise busy, so I'm going to plug in my P90X 90 minute yoga DVD. This video is power-ashtanga type yoga. I think I've been feeling more supple and less sore since I increased the yoga. Or, I guess it could be the lack of heavy weights. I don't think I recall Tony Horton being lycra clad in this DVD, so it probably wouldn't offend Stud. I can foresee the possibility that I may become somewhat addicted to yoga. It'll be interesting to compare my SCY times with heavy lifting (last season) with my SCY times with yoga/plyos/light weights (this season). I don't seem to be swimming any slower in practice. But I suppose it could make a difference in my 50 speed.

Commentary:

Glad I got in a recovery workout before the big dump. It was just what I needed.

Ran across an interesting article in the NYT on ideal weight for athletes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/fa...d=1&ref=health

On the gluten front, it seems to have made a huge difference to cut out gluten. My symptoms have abated substantially and I don't have that horrible bloated feeling anymore. It feels and looks like I've lost 5 pounds. Probably not, but it's still nice. I just made myself a very tasty brown rice quesadilla with lactose free cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Nummy!

Updated February 5th, 2010 at 10:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  10. Feel the Burn!

by , February 4th, 2010 at 04:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from my iPhone as I stand in line for an hour waiting to get into the HS Regional meet ...

This morning, I met Speedo at OakMarr for our Thursday swim. Fortunately, he checked the website and saw the pool closed at noon, so we met at 10:30. We did the same kick set we did last Thursday. I was worried my legs would still be gassed from my marathon kick session yesterday, but I actually went faster than last week. Pete was somewhat surprised at my kick endurance (and honestly I was too), but I think all those shooters and kick mountains have paid off. It went thusly:

SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

800 various

Kick Set 1:

6 x 200 @ 3:30

1-2 cruise flutter kick w/board to get legs warmed up; I did 150s.)
    3-6 = backstroke kick, no fins

Went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56 (nose clip problems), 2:51
    I had a good last 25 on the last 200. These were hard!

To compare, last week, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:56, 2:53.

I'm hoping these have been some practice for next weekend's 200 back.

100 EZ

Kick Set 2:

6 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    odds = flutter kick w/board
    evens = backstroke kick

Went: 1:00, 1:03, 1:03, 1:02, 1:03, 1:01. Really got out after it on the first one. . Maybe a little too much ... Got a cramp on the second one and then just went as fast as I could. Legs were really burning. As I recall, last time I went 1:03-1:05. I'll have to check later. (Edit: Yes, my recollection was accurate.)

100 EZ

Kick Set 3:

10 x 1:00 vertical kick
    odds = dolphin
    evens = breast

100 EZ

10 minutes hot tub

Total: 2800 + VK

Commentary:

My wrist felt better today. That's a good thing after days of intense kicking and leg work! I' done over 10,000 yards in 8 days.

No other time for working out today. We'll see what tomorrow holds. I've heard that school for tomorrow is already cancelled. My investment in DVDs is really paying off this snowy winter.

Updated February 4th, 2010 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  11. Yoga + Kick, Wed., Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2010 at 06:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Schools were closed due to our "blizzard." Yet I still got in a good day of working out.

Drylands:

6 rounds of:

1 x 100 jump rope hops
    3 position arms extensions

Power Yoga:

I did power yoga with the Bryan Kest power yoga DVD, advanced level.

Here's some info on Bryan Kest:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1yU1JFPNI"]YouTube- Bryan Kest's Power Yoga[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8FS9X0ab0g"]YouTube- Kashi Ashram: Bryan Kest Power Yoga class, 4 of 4[/ame] (kinda funny)

http://www.poweryoga.com/aboutyoga/aboutbryan.php

I'm struggling with one advanced pose. You start with the revolved side angle pose with hands in prayer position like this: http://www.atmananda.com/blog/?p=227. Then you wrap your left arm under your leg and your right arm around over your back and join hands. I'm almost there; I guess I need a flexier spine.

I'm also working on a full camel pose in bikram -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/40576779@N02/3908316405/. I can do a regular camel easily enough, but I'd like to get all the way down.

Jazzy has a theory that I only like workouts that "hurt" and hence that's why I dislike vinyasa. But I don't find that bikram and power yoga "hurt;" they're just more challenging.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Kick Set #1:

10 x 25 back shooters w/MF @ :30
    5 x 1:00 vertical kicking (dolphin, evil, dolphin, evil, dolphin)
    10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30
    5 x 1:00 vertical kicking (same as above)
    10 x 25 belly shooters w/MF @ :30
    5 x 1:00 vertical kicking (same as above)

Kick Sets #2: CS Kick Mountain, done all dolphin kick w/board & MF

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 2:45
    1 x 300 @ 4:15
    1 x 200 @ 2:45
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

I cut my previous intervals down by 15 seconds on the 200s and 300.

100 EZ

Stroke Set:

10 x 50 PLD evil w/MF @ 1:00

100 EZ

10 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 4150 + 15 min. VK

Commentary:

I felt pretty good today, though I'm quite sure my legs will be tired tonight. Well, they already are. Hoping to swim with Speedo tomorrow. My eyes are better; my wrist was sore after yesterday's drylands, so I didn't do anything to strain it today.

Updated February 3rd, 2010 at 08:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  12. Drylands + Quick Kick, Monday, Feb. 2

by , February 2nd, 2010 at 05:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I started off with some med ball slamming in the racquetball court, trying not to use my right hand much. Someone must have complained b/c I was kicked out after 5 minutes. But I was told I could do slams in the Personal Trainer room, which I did. And I discovered that's where they hide all the good toys -- jump ropes, power wheels, ladders, etc. So I just worked out in there the whole time.

med ball slams (twisting, forward, starter-type, overhead, single arms etc.)
    ladder hops, forward & lateral*
    bicycles, 2 x 100
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    kettleball snatch, 20 x 2 x 25
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 15
    back extensions, 20 x 4 x 15
    box jumps, 1 x 10 (these felt slightly dangerous with glasses on, so I desisted)
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    jump knee tucks, 2 x 10
    P90X steam engines w/hand weights, 2 x 50

* I don't think these are particularly useful for swimming or fitness training.

10 rounds of:

1 x 100 jump rope hops
    1 x RC exercise (tricep kick backs, external & internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, ball on wall, 3 position arm extensions)

Kick/SCM/Solo:

I didn't have time to journey to the rec center, so "swam" in the hot gym pool. It was super hot today -- ugh! Just did a quick kick workout with a board and my prescription goggles to avoid contaminating the eyes with chlorine.

Warm up:

200 flutter kick w/board
    200 evil kick w/board

Main Set:

20 x 50 kick w/board @ 1:10, done as 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    odds = flutter
    evens = dolphin

I thought I might be too tired for these right after drylands, but I felt pretty speedy on the fast kick portions

50 EZ kick

5 minutes hot tub; 5 minutes steam

Total: 1450 meters kick

Commentary:

Glad I got two good sessions in today b/c we're supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow tonight. I have no use whatsoever for snow. Inevitably, school will be cancelled or delayed. If it is, I will likely do a couple workout DVDs at home. Or hopefully, the rec center will still be open.

Speaking of DVDs, my brother (who has been doing P90X for awhile) is now switching to the Insanity program. http://www.extremefitnessresults.com/insanity.html. It does look pretty insane, and with a fair amount of core work involved.

My wrist is somewhat sore after the drylands. I tried to focus on pylos, but the roll outs might have been a bit much.

I was also happy to recently discover that I actually can eat some cheeses. http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/172205.html

News Flash:

Jazzy went to hot yoga AGAIN and even liked it.

Updated February 2nd, 2010 at 08:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Yoga w/Jazzy + Swim, Sunday, Jan. 31

by , January 31st, 2010 at 05:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I hate to make poor Geekity's weekend worse, but it's time for him to PAY UP on his wager. Today, Jazz and I ventured to the Reston/Lameton bikram yoga studio for 90 minutes of exercise. Geek had stated that Jazz could not/would not do 90 minutes of any form of exercising (much less hot yoga). Since he did, and did it very well, Geek will now be forced to ... drum roll ... swim a naked 200 fly.

Jazzy did much better than I did my first time in this class. He didn't attempt to run from the room after an hour due to heat overexposure. In fact, he said the heat wasn't unduly bothersome. This studio, I will say, is less hot than the Falls Church studio. Probably more like 105 degrees than 110. Hopefully, Jazz will post his thoughts later today. It's hard to love hot yoga the first time, as it's so difficult. (In fact, FlyQueen absolutely hated it.)

We discussed briefly whether the balancing series would be beneficial for swimming. I thought it would be as balance and core strength seem important for swimming. Jazz wasn't sure. He thought swimmers should naturally be good at the balance postures, and felt he wasn't that good. However, he did vastly better than most people I've seen attempting them for the first time. There were plenty of chicks in yogakinis and a lack of dirty hippies as well.

See photo below of Jazz sweating with a rack of yogakinis in the background. Too bad that Speedo didn't join us and get a lavander scented towel.

Later today, my children were all hanging with their friends and Mr. Fort was working, so I headed to the pool and did the following:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick Set:

40 x 25 dolphin kick w/MF @ :30, continuous

1-10 = left side
    11-20 = twirling
    21-30 = right side
    31-40 = back

Tried to work both sides of the kick.

50 EZ

Main Set:

4 x (100 easy speed fly w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 3:00
    (7 SDKs off each wall, worked on holding top half of body still, went 1:03ish)

100 EZ

2 x (2 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 90% @ 1:00 + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

4 x (25 fast free + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

Drills:

6 minutes of vertical kicking
    odds = breast kick
    evens = dolphin

4 x 50 breast pull w/pull buoy

50 EZ

Total: 3400 +VK

Commentary:

My legs felt strong on the hypoxic set. But after that, and likely as a result of yoga too, they were pretty shot the rest of the workout.

Looking back at my week, I did yoga 5x (WTH?!), swimming 4x (approx. 15,000), drylands 3x and a quick spin. I haven't had a day off since Jan. 16 when I tooled around Northwestern and Chicago. I'm going to try to train hard the next week and then have a recovery type week before my meet in Richmond on Feb. 13-14.

My speed felt off on the 25s today. I think I'm going to have a 10 x 25 AFAP day this week.

Now it's off to dinner with friends. I'll be sleeping in tomorrow as there still is no school (end of semester).

Updated January 31st, 2010 at 05:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	6331  
  14. Friday, Jan. 29

by , January 29th, 2010 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Power Yoga:

Today, I tried Bryan Kest's power yoga DVD.

http://www.poweryoga.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/bryan-kests-...a-santa-monica
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC"]Amazon.com: Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection: Bryan Kest: Movies & TV[/ame]

I really liked this DVD. One hour of strength, balance and flexibility postures. There was the standard vinyasa poses, but not repeated umpteen 1000 x in a row. I did the advanced routine. I couldn't quite do a couple of the full twisting poses, but could do most everything else. Although holding a backbend for a minute maintaining "equanimty" is somewhat difficult.

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Today, I modified one of Geek's workouts for my main set. I didn't do as many rounds as his team did, and I had more generous rest intervals.

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Drill Sets:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/fins (2 dolphin kicks on belly, 2 on right side, 2 on left side, and 2 on back, etc.)

(Pete, you should do this one!)

4 minutes of vertical kicking:
    alternate 1 min. of evil kick and 1 minute of dolphin kick

5 x 50 PLD breast w/fins @ 1:00
    Try to streamline to the 15 meter mark

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

4 rounds of:

4 x 25 fast kick, no fins @ 1:00
    50 breast pull w/pull buoy

Round 1 = flutter kick w/board, went 16s.
    Round 2 = shooter on back, went 14.5-15.5s
    Round 3 = shooter on belly, went 14.5-15.5s
    Round 4 = dive from side and power dolphin kick to 15 meter mark and cruise in

On round 4, I took 13, 12.5, 12, and 12 kicks to get to the 15 meter mark. I was rushing the kick on the first two. I think this means I should probably take 10 kicks from a block start in a tech suit. I was surprised that round 3 was as fast as round 2. Usually, I'm slower on my belly, but I have been trying to work on this by doing more dolphin kick w & w/o a board. Times are all approximate though, as I have trouble seeing the pace clocks.

1 round w/fins of:

1 x 50 fast (did fly, went 24.5)
    1 x 100 6 kick switch backstroke drill

2 x 50 fast @ 1:30 (did back, went 24.5s)
    1 x 100 6 switch backstroke drill

3 x (50 fast + 50 EZ) @ 2:30
    (did flutter kick w/board, went 25s)
    1 x 100 EZ

Geek did 3 rounds of this in his workout. I did it more as a lactate set.

Total: 2700 + VK

Commentary:

I really liked this workout, and may try it again with the 3 rounds on an aerobic day. The legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's kick session with Speedo, though last night I was super tired. A good night's sleep helped with the recovery.

On the gluten/dairy front, I seem to be having more success eliminating gluten. I did a "test" by eating some wheat thins the other day, and broke out in a rash and got wheezy. So I think it's pretty conclusive, and consistent with the blood test I had. I have been feeling better with an abatement of symptoms, though I understand it takes many months to get the gluten out of your system completely.

I'm off to watch my sick kid swim in the high school District championships tonight. They were thinking of having just timed finals tonight, but it looks like the worst of the storm may miss us and hit further south in Geek's area. So I'll probably be back at it tomorrow night.

I may take tomorrow off except for some stretching. I haven't had a day off in awhile.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Kick w/Speedo, Thursday, Jan. 28

by , January 28th, 2010 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Joined Pete for his periodic kick workout @ Oak Marr.

Warm up:

800 various

Main Kick sets:

6 x 200 kick @ 3:30, no fins
    - 1-2 flutter w/ board
    - 3-6 backstroke kick w/o board

Warmed up on the first two at a medium pace. Then went: 2:59, 2:56, 2:56, 2:53.

150 EZ

6 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    - odds flutter w/ board
    - evens backstroke kick w/o board

Went: 1:03, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04, 1:04, 1:03

Pete said I was getting too much rest on these. Sheesh, I thought it was too little!

100 EZ

6min vertical kick:
    - 2min breast kick, hands above water
    - 2min flutter kick, " " "
    - 2min dolphin kick, " " "

250 EZ

Total: 3100 + VK

Commentary:

I hadn't done 200 kicks in a loooong time. In fact, I can only recall doing 200s with my MF -- probably b/c they're so long and somewhat tedious. For that reason, this was a good workout to do with a training partner. And it was tough, with a slow burn on the 200s. After the 100s and VK, my legs/calves were shot. I was going to do some drill work, but started cramping. So I joined Pete in the hot tub for 10-15 minutes. Definitely need to do some stretching tonight!

My arms were, as expected, a bit sore from yesterday's arm and med ball dryland workout. I'm thinking that med ball work is a quick way to get killer arms.

Hoping my legs will recover to do some speed work tomorrow.

And ugh! All of my kids are sick with colds and strep throat now. I hope I don't catch it!

Updated February 4th, 2010 at 02:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  16. OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25

by , January 25th, 2010 at 04:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This morning, I journeyed to the Freedom Center to play the med all game with SwimShark and show her my core-dominated dryland routine. She had been doing the Lezak routine and wanted a change. The game is very fun with a partner! The Freedom Center is a beautiful large facility. The only thing missing was a Free Motion double cable machine in the weight room and 12 and 18 inch boxes for box jumps.

Med Ball Game:

We did approximately 40-45 minutes with some rests here and there. SwimShark took a video with her nano. Next time, I think we should tape the camera to the wall (instead of propping it up on the floor) so it wouldn't be quite so focused on our asses. lol

Here is 2 minutes of the workout: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mak2y5K-1iI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- The game[/ame]

Drylands:

I was mostly demo-ing the exercises for Alison. So I only did 1 set of 5-15 reps of the following exercises (which was definitely still a workout!):

squat swing w/25 lb plate
    rotating squat swings w/20 lb DB
    goblet squats w/60 lb DB
    overhead squats w/bar
    hanging ab work: knee ups, straight leg raises, straight leg circles, knee up-arch backs
    reverse decline crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet
    russian twists w/25 lb plate on incline bench
    pulse ups
    dead bugs on bosu
    windshield wipers
    crunchy frogs
    oblique V ups
    squat jacks on bench w/med ball
    lateral bench hops
    squat thrust & press w/med ball
    rock star jumps
    rear delt flys
    chest flys
    narrow grip seated row (90 x 2 x 10)
    power wheel rolls outs (2 x 15)
    power wheel pike ups & knee-ins
    body rows

5-10 minutes of stretching

SwimShark agreed the power wheel provided an awesome core workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main set:

8 x 50 fly @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, single arm fly on the rest
    8 x 50 dolphin kick @ 1:00
    #4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on belly, evens = EZ

8 x 50 back @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, rest EZ
    8 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
    # 4 & 8 fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on back, evens = EZ

8 x 50 breast @ 1:10
    odds = pull w/paddles & buoy
    evens = alternate PLD & evil
    8 x 50 breast kick @ 1:05
    4 w/board, 4 w/o
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast evil, evens = EZ

8 x 50 free @ :55
    all 8 with fins & paddles emphasizing overkick
    (yes, I know it's a lot of rest; I was tired)
    8 x 50 flutter kick w/fins & board @ :50
    # 4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
    50 EZ
    4 x 25, odds = fast fluter kick shooter, evens = EZ

100 EZ

Total: 4600

Commentary:

I have a sneaking suspicion I shall feel rather dead tonight. The med ball game is deceptive. You feel like you can play on and on, yet you're sore and tired later. I can already tell my arms will be sore like last time. (Of course, I do have the pleasure of knowing I've made Geek very jealous with all my working out today.)

I intended my swim workout to be easy aerobic swimming and drills with some fast efforts sprinkled throughout. I did more yardage than I really intended. The breaststroke segment is likely the dullest most tedious thing I've done as a masters swimmer ... The kicks were torturously slow. I really don't think I'm going to put any further effort into evil kick. I don't seem to have the patience for it.

I've also been hungry all day long. I ate lunch before swimming, but was starving mid workout. Came home and ate more and am still starving ... Ate dinner and am still starving ...

I sent my entry form for the VMST meet on Feb 13-14 out in the mail today. Swimming: 200 back, 100 breast (getting split), 50 free, 100 fly.

Hopefully, I'll sleep well tonight to make it through my kick workout with Speedo tomorrow! I'm tired!

Oh, I did have to break down and buy my kid a new suit for champs meet season. I wanted to get her a B70 kneeskin, but they aren't available until mid Feb. or so. So I ordered the Seedo elite pro/lzr. I'll probably wear the suit at the Albatross Open as well. I feel bad for my kid. She seems to be getting a whacking bad cold right before Districts and Regionals. And she's had some trouble really ramping up her training this winter; I think she still feels the effects of her bout of mono.

Gluten/Dairy Free Bars:

I found a good food bar at Whole Foods tonight with no gluten or dairy. http://www.rawindulgence.com/. I really need something portable to eat right after workouts, so I'm going to give these a try. Any other suggestions?

I also appear to have inadvertently glutened myself again as I have a telltale rash. Can't think what I could have eaten that had gluten ... It might have been something in the deviled eggs from Whole Food I ate as a late snack.

Interesting Article on the Mystery of Improvement with USAS Swimmers:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/V...30&ItemId=1707

Updated January 26th, 2010 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24

by , January 24th, 2010 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Drill Sets:

5 x 100 single arm fly (r,l,r,l per length) @ 1:45

8 x 50 breast pull w/pull buoy @ 1:00

50 EZ

Hypoxic Kick Set:
    (w/MF)

10 x shooters @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side
    :30 second rest

10 x 50 easy speed double shooters @ 1:00
    (went 25-26)
    :30 seconds rest

10 x shooters on belly @ :30

100 EZ

Lactate Set:

6 rounds w/fins @ 5:00 of:

50 backstroke kick @ 85% @ :45
    50 backstroke @ 100% @ XX
    100 EZ

Went approx:

26.5/25.5
    25.5/25
    25/24.5
    25/25
    25/25
    25/25.5

Total: 4000

Commentary:

Cage Fighter and I arrived at the Rec Center at the same time. We shared a lane, though we were doing vastly different workouts. It was much better than sharing a lane with a noodle doing wide breaststroke kicks! I urged him again to sign up for USMS & Zones. He said he might join Pete and I for our hour kick set on Tuesday.

The lactate set was a modification of one Jim C. did a couple days ago. He did 75s stroke at 80%; I did 50 kick at 85% instead. 75s aren't ideal in this pool b/c I can't see the clock well at one end. This set was much harder than just doing 6 x 50, which I've done before. My legs were burning on the last 25.

Tomorrow, I'm heading out to the Freedom Center in the am to do the RA med ball game with SwimShark. She reserved the court for one hour. It will be interesting to see if we can do our weights & core afterward!

2010 Meets:

VMST David Gregg III Memorial Meet
    Richmond VA
    February 13-14
    http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/vmst0210.pdf

I've filled out my entry form. I'm going to swim the 200 back on Saturday and the 200 breast (for a 100 split), 50 free and 100 fly on Sunday. I'm trying to get as much rest as I can between events on Sunday, which is why I chose these. I was considering swimming the 200 back on Sunday, but I think I'd be fried for the rest of the day after that. This could be my only 50 free of the year ... I am probably going to opt for the 100 back at Zones, and the 50 free is right after that. (Same situation at SCY Nats.) Though I could get a 50 free split in my open 100 free at Zones, I guess.

Albatross Open
    Bethesda, MD
    March 20
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
    Fairfax, VA
    April 24-25
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20-23
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Updated January 24th, 2010 at 10:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Thursday, Jan. 21

by , January 21st, 2010 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    So I woke up this morning and every single muscle in both arms was sore from my RA inspired med ball slamming session. Even muscles I didn't know I had ... This, I imagine, caused me to feel like a terd in the water today. I wanted to do Jim Corbeau's nasty aerobic set, but I just didn't feel nasty enough. I did manage a nasty kick set, which then set off cramps in the calves and feet for the rest of the workout. Should have done the kick set at the end of the workout, I guess. I also forgot to bring gatorade or water, which was pretty dense of me and irritating. Anyway, as Stud would say, it went thusly:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

10 x 25 twirling shooters @ :30

Endurance Kick (this time with fins)

30 x 25 @ :20
    1-10 = dolphin w//board
    11-20 = flutter w/board
    21-30 = dolphin w/board

Tried to hold them all under 15. Did some 15+ on the last 10. Took 30 seconds rest between each set of 10. Ouch!

100 EZ

Aerobic Set:

3 x 100 @ 2:00, 25 stroke (fly) mod fast + 75 EZ free
    3 x 100 @ 2:00, 50 stroke (back) mod fast + 50 EZ free
    3 x 100 @ 2:00, 75 stroke (evil) mod fast + 25 EZ free
    1 x 100 IM
    50 EZ

I intended to do more, but I was cramping like crazy and it felt like junk yards. So I desisted and just did a drill set next.

Drill Set:

4 x (3 x 50) @ :15-:20 second RI
    #1 = breast pull w/buoy
    #2 = PLD breast
    #3 = alternate PLD breast with regular breast

After each round, I did 1:00 of vertical evil kick.

100 EZ

Total: 3600

Not my most successful workout ever, but at least I got a hard kick set in. I need to hunt for and wear my compression socks tonight. I wish I had had my G2, which I am now drinking again b/c it is gluten and lactose free.

Then I spent a leisurely afternoon in the salon chair restoring my ginger locks to their fiery color after some anticipated first week fading. I am officiating at a high school meet tomorrow. Wondering if all the swim parents will recognize me. lol

Tomorrow, I'm planning on gym and yoga. I need a good stretch after yesterday's hard dryland session and today's cramp fest.

I booked my flight for Atlanta and I have informed Mr. Fort that I likely will be absent on Valentine's Day for the second year in a row.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19

by , January 19th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Kick Set:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30

1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (dolphin)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)

10 x shooters w/MF @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

5 x (2 x 100) w/fins, done as:

1-2 = backstroke kick @ 1:20
    3-4 = backstroke @ 1:20
    5-6 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
    7-8 = fly @ 2:00*
    9-10 = flutter kick w/board @ 1:20

* I took an extra 30 seconds rest before fly. I can't do fly on short rest. In fact, I'm amazed I even did 2 x 100 fly -- and did it last week as well.

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF
    odds = easy @ 1:30
    evens = AFAP @ 1:00

went: 21.5-22 (bad turn), 21, 20, 20.5, 20.5-21

This is the fastest set of 50s I've done with the MF. I was using a narrow amplitude and super high cycle kick. I have to slow down slightly before the walls.

100 EZ

8 x 25 @ whatevah
    odds = AFAP free
    evens = easy

100 EZ

Total: 3250 + VK

Vinyasa Yoga:

Tonight, I tried the Yoga Shakti DVD. http://www.google.com/products/catal...959&sa=title#p

I did the Lunar Flow, which was the 45 minute version (that was all the time I had). This was definitely just stretching, not a workout at all. In fact, it was just too slow for me, and I completely skipped the paranyama and shavasana at the end (not my favs anyway). This could be a good DVD for the end of the day. There are 2 90 minute Solar Flow workouts that are supposed to be much more challenging. Vinyasa, with it's flowing moves, is very different than Bikram where the emphasis is on holding postures to build strength and flexibility. I'll try the other workouts before I form an opinion. At the very least, it got me stretching tonight -- which was the goal!

And, unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting my heel behind my head anymore.

Commentary:

My hammies were a little sore today from the re-introduction of the squat yesterday. After my lazy week last week, I need to get back in the dryland groove. I was pretty happy with my kicking and speed work today. I was only using a 4 lb med ball for the vertical kicking today. (That was the only ball that was unlocked in the equipment room.) That definitely made the VK harder though.

I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half. I have no idea what I want to swim besides one new secret event (for Patrick). Entries are due March 25, so I need to send out my form pronto. Edit: I dunno ... the new secret event I wanted to swim is not possible without electronic timing. No split requests permitted.

Geek posted this on my entry for yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Wellness/fi...ory?id=9606251. His take home message: don't be a supplement hater!

Jim Corbeau sent me a great aerobic workout with some speed play that I may do tomorrow. I have to miss my Thursday workout with Speedo b/c I'm getting my hair "glazed" to compensate for anticipated fading. I hope to do his kick workout with him next Tuesday.

On the B2B ironman front, my son's friend (and cross country teammate), who will be 17+ on the day of the race, has gotten permission to enter even though he's not 18. So FortSon is agitating for it again, though he's worried he'll lose muscle even if he lifts while training.

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Sunday, Jan. 17

by , January 17th, 2010 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ventured to the RecPlex today with FortSon, hoping it wouldn't be too crowded. It wasn't bad, and I had a lane to myself for over half my workout. But the pool was very shallow, pretty hot and had no backstroke flags. So I revised my planned workout to exclude backstroke. I also didn't do much speed work given the temperature. But that's fine, and consistent with me finishing out my "recovery" week.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition/Drill Set:

30 x 50 @ 1:00, done as:

10 x 50:
    odds = PLD breast
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

10 x 50:
    odds = fly drill (either chest press or single arm)
    evens = breast pull w/pull buoy

10 x 50:
    odds = double shooters on back w/fins
    evens = dolphin kick w/fins & board

50 EZ

Aerobic Set:

10 x 100 @ 1:45 w/fins
    odds = PLD breast (went 1:20-1:25)
    evens = lope free (went 1:05s)

100 dolphin dive

Endurance Kick:

40 x 25 kick, no fins @ :30
    30 w/kick boards
    10 done backstroke kick (it was too annoying without flags and shallow water to do more)

100 dolphin dive

Speed Set:

5 x (4 x 25) w/fins
    #1 = easy speed fly
    #2 = easy
    #3 = AFAP free
    #4 = easy

100 dolphin dive

Total: 5050

Commentary:

I felt like I got a pretty decent workout in despite a subpar pool. Got in a good mix of things. I've been enjoying the drill work I've done this week.

I'm hanging out with my sister this afternoon. Watched some of the Vikings game. Go Vikes! Tonight, I'm dining with 3 of my friends and former Bullets teammates: FlyQueen, Aquafeisty and Chicken of the Sea. Can't wait to see them!

Updated January 18th, 2010 at 10:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts