View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Tuesday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2011 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

-- This was a modified Tall Paul workout. All fast kicks were with fins.

6 x 50 @ 1:00, single arm fly
    :30 rest
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (flutter with board, went 1:03 -- ugh)
    4 x 25 free @ :30
    1 x 50 scull

6 x 75 breast @ 1:25
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (backstroke, went :59)
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    1 x 50 fast AFAP kick (flutter w/board, high 26)
    1:00 rest
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 backstroke @ 1:45
    (In Paul's workout, these were intended as 200s.)
    1 x 50 AFAP kick (backstroke kick, high 24, cramped)
    1 x 50 scull

100 EZ

Total: 3450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This workout -- not the structure, just how I felt -- sucked. My body is still sore and fatigued from starting and acclimating back to drylands. The fast kicks were torture. And I didn't even have any "whine" last night. Or maybe I'm also tired from doing more swimming than usual? (Or I could blame it, and perhaps this is the more likely culprit, on my thyroid issue.) My flog says I'm at 13,200 in 3 days, thanks to the New Year's workout. No swimming tomorrow -- yoga + chiro.

New Blood Work:

Got another round of blood tests back after a month of BHRT and vitamin therapy:

hormones, mostly right
    thyroid, too low, increase dosage
    DHEA, too high
    Vit. D, too low
    Iron, too low (though I've found one, Hemagenics) that I can at least tolerate
    RBC Magnesium, still way too low, had to have an injection. This could be causing my frequent cramping (along with the thyroid problem).
    Core body temp, still 97.4 -- absolutely horrible for fat burning.

Questions:

1. Does anyone find that you can sleep off overtraining or hard regular training?

2. Anyone doing a standing cable chest fly? I see people doing these all the time at the gym, but I've never tried it. Good for swimming or not? Since it gets the pec major, it seems like it would be ...

Note:

Deer Geek, I really can't go to the Sunbelt Meet because our high school district championship swim meet is that weekend. I likely will be too decrepit in any event.

Updated January 4th, 2011 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday, Jan. 3

by , January 3rd, 2011 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

HS single leg extension, 30 x 2 x 8, each leg
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
    squat swing w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    russian twists w/plate on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    bicep curls, 40 x 2 x 8
    extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00
    (this bothered my shins, which are feeling kind of shin splinty after all that kicking with fins yesterday)

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had an hour to swim. Did the exact opposite of yesterday.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick with long MF:

16 x 25 shooters
    4 belly, 4 back, 4 right side, 4 left side

50 EZ

4 x broken 100 shooter
    5 seconds rest at each 25, all UW

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP Set:
    10 x 25 free w/15 meter burst @ :45

-- Forgot what the RA recommended interval was for this set. They were supposed to be on 1:00, not :45. I was wondering, as it seemed too little rest given the effort level. Felt sort of out of sync on these.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins AFAP (went 25)

-- This time reflects the fact that I haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks.

200 EZ

Total: 2200/1000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My left shoulder was a bit twinge-y, most likely from paddle use yesterday. I used the red strokemakers instead of the green ones. Probably better advised to stick with the smaller green ones. (Though I think they've disappeared in Mini Fort's equipment bag.) So I didn't do any push/pulls at the gym today and stuck with mostly core & leg work.

New Year's Resolutions:

I don't usually make these, as I'm pretty self motivated. But I think I can improve in 2 areas: go to sleep earlier and less SB/chard/pinot. I kicked this off by falling asleep at 11:30 pm last night, fairly early for me. I'm usually asleep at 12:30-1:00. I'll attempt a complete alcohol ban for awhile. I believe Speedo is doing this too until Zones? I see the benefits as improved sleep, minor weight loss, less dehydration (and hence possibly less cramping) and better absorption of vitamins.

Tentative 2011 Meets:

Very tentative revised plan, which has me at 9 meets, but 3-4 are multi-day. This is pushing it on the family front somewhat, and I doubt I'll make them all. I've never done this many travel meets before. But this gives me plenty to mull over, and I can adjust and subtract as needed. So far, there are no conflicts with Mr. Fort's running events through the marathon.

March 6, Warrenton Meet SCY
    -- cruise in late to swim a couple events.

March 19, Albatross Open SCM
    -- Probably rest 10 days or depending on how I feel. I suspect I'll need a major rest from training at this point.

April 16, Colonies Zones SCY
    -- I'll only compete on Saturday b/c I have to leave that afternoon for Boston for the marathon.

May 20-23, Canadian Nationals SCM (Montreal)
    -- Very tentative. Have to run this by Mr. Fort. This meet appeals to me b/c of location and b/c it's SCM. Need to get a link to the order of events. If I go, I'd do a full taper.

June 18-June 31, Cruise in Europe
    -- This throws a real wrench in LCM Nats in early August. I can see being forced to do something in the small ship pool, while hammering the drylands and cycle.

August 4-6, LCM Nats at Auburn
    -- I won't be in ideal shape for 100s with the timing of my vacation, but hopefully my speed won't disappear.

Late August, Colonies Zones, LCM, U of Md
    -- Assuming we have CZ at U of Md again this year, this would be better timing for a taper meet than Auburn. The only downside is that this meet is smaller and hence less rest. Other possible complications are a week at the beach and taking Fort Son to college.

September, Savageman Triathlon
    -- This year, I won't train for this event at all beyond doing 4 x 500 free one day or so. I will just hop in and go, hopefully without asthma problems this time. I have informed the two relay zealots of this fact.

October 15-16, Rowdy Gaines Classic SCM
    -- Probably won't go to this if I go to Canadian Nats. But I have already run this meet by Mr. Fort. Or I could do this meet in lieu of a December meet.

October 30, Sprint Classic, GMU, SCY

Mid-December, NE Champs or CZ Champs or local Last Minute Meet, SCM

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  3. New Years Practice, Sun., Jan. 2

by , January 2nd, 2011 at 01:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Got out of bed on time (after a night in DC no less!) and headed to GMU for the annual Swim in the New Year Practice:

111 x 50, done as:

20 x 50 warm up @ 1:00

-- Did 5 free, 5 back, 5 backstroke kick, 5 free
    -- Went much faster than my typical warm up on these

20 x 50 stroke:
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55

-- I did the third set evil kick. I think one New Year Resolution may be to give this up completely. I am abysmally slow.

20 x 50 pull
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40

-- Missed 2 50s on the second set b/c of a cap malfunction. Made them up at the end though.

2 x 50 EZ

20 x 50 w/fins @ :45

-- Barb and I switched the interval from :40 to :45, as we already knew what the next set was.
    -- I alternated 2 x 50 free or back with 2 x 50 backstroke kick throughout the set. I figured this was a good way not to lose count. There is an extremely small likelihood that I could actually count to 20 while simultaneously keeping track of when to go. I think this requires actual experience. Had some calf cramp issues during this set.

20 x 50 short rest free @ :40, can use equipment

-- I have to admit that I thought about doing a slower interval on this set. I was pretty tired, but I gave myself a mental pep talk and it actually went far better than expected.
    -- I went 5 x 50 free w/paddles & fins and then switched to 15 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins. I held the 50s kick at 31-32, really emphasizing dolphin kicking from the hips to spare the calves a bit. I clearly have more lower body endurance than upper body endurance.

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = easy
    evens = fast fly w/fins (went 28, 27, 26)

3 x 50 EZ (I did 5 x 50 EZ)

Total: 5550/2000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Survived! This may be the most yardage I've done as a master. This seems fairly wimpy after reading Patrick's blog, but it's along way for a drop dead sprinter. It's also hard to crank up the yardage when you're only doing 50s. But, for me, this was a great way to get in a solid aerobic effort. Really enjoyed the practice.

I took yesterday off completely and hadn't been in the water for 3 days as a result. I probably overdid it during the last week with all the free time to train, and the bikram yoga on New Years Eve really flattened me. I think I need to limit bikram to 1x week -- it takes too much out of me and interferes with swim training.

I'm not really ready to get back to the grind yet ...

Flogs:

Think I will flog this year. Do the flogs keep track of how many workouts you do (swim, weights, cycle, etc.) in addition to how much yardage you do? I'd be interested in that. I wish there was also a way to automatically tote up race pace efforts or kick yardage though. I may just manually keep track of that in the daily entries. Though I don't have a GTD goal, I arbitrarily set it at 300 miles, which for me would reflect consistency in training.

Updated January 2nd, 2011 at 08:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Backstroke Workout, Wed., Dec. 29

by , December 29th, 2010 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 backstroke drill @ 1:00

8 x 50 hypoxic kick @ 1:00

8 x 100 backstroke w/paddles @ 1:30

16 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    (went 1:11-12 on 1st 8 and 1:10-1:11 on 2nd 8)

-- I was sharing a lane at this point and backstroke kick is the easiest thing to do in half a lane.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/2200 kicking

Commentary:

Squeezed an aerobic workout in this am before hitting the hair salon for a marathon session on the red tresses. (One of Mini Fort's swim friends just went red, and I warned her about the difficulties of maintaining this color while swimming.)

I've done a lot of working out since 2:00 pm yesterday and am pretty tired. I will likely just hit the gym tomorrow. But I feel like I'm getting somewhat back in badass form.

Now off to dinner with friends!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Gym: 3 Hours, Dec. 28

by , December 28th, 2010 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

20 minutes on cycle

bicycles, 50
    long arm crunches, 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 20
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 2 x 5, each side
    total ab machine, 110 x 2 x 20 (love this machine b/c it gets the back too)
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 10
    skull crusher, 50 x 2 x 15
    leg press, 310 x 2 x 10
    seated lat pulldown, 90 x 2 x 10
    med ball slams, 10

RC Work, 10 minutes

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins

5 x 100 back w/paddles @ 1:45

10 x 25 breast drill (1 pull, 2 kicks)

-- also working on streamline with hands closer together for the pre-kick and a quicker pull down

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:35

10 x 25 backstroke kick
    15 SDKs, got to 16+ meters

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2500 meters

Commentary:

Got a substantial workout in today b/c I didn't have to drive Mini Fort to either of her practices. She did go to her first official winter crew practice today. She says she likes rowing.

I expect to be sore after today's effort. Still going with mostly aerobic work while I suffer through the soreness from recommencing drylands. Hate that stage!

I don't think I have to renew last year's new year's resolution to stretch more. Don't really have any resolution for this year yet. I guess I could stand to focus more on RC exercises. Unlike most, I don't have a GTD goal either, so I don't have to worry about year end yardage. But good luck to those who are getting after it!

Now I have to prep for a dinner party.
  6. Sunday, Dec. 26

by , December 26th, 2010 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100 @ 1:30 w/MF
    odds = w/board
    evens = on back

-- worked on emphasizing up kick

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF @ :30
    10 on back, 10 on belly

50 EZ

4 x through:
    100 breast pull w/buoy
    100 free pull w/paddles
    50 scull (25 front +25 back)

50 EZ

10 x (25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    -- worked on emphasizing up kick. When I do this, I do one less stroke per 25.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/1700 kicking

Drylands Lite:

Much needed RC Work, 15 minutes

flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 50
    reverse roll ins w/yoga ball, 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 10 x 2 x 20
    alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 30
    goblet squat, 50 x 2 x 15
    forward lunges, 30 x 1 x 15
    standing lat pulldown, 90 x 3 x 10

Yoga/Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

Busted my long 28 inch monofin out of storage today. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2183.htm. I don't like this one as much as the Finis shooter MF, but I seem to have misplaced my fav toy somehow. However, this MF is good for aerobic kicking, technique work/streamlining and core/leg work (just not fast kicking -- at least for me in SCY). I wouldn't recommend this one for anyone with lower back issues though.

Still following my plan of starting the season off with aerobic work and lots of kicking, as I ease back into drylands. Can't believe I haven't been to the gym in a month!

Had a lovely Xmas. SR gifts included Dara's newest book and a USMS shammy sweatshirt (it was featured in Streamlines a month or so ago). Saw The Fighter last night -- quite good. True Grit and The Black Swan are on my list to see before New Years. Mr. Fort and I are also renting some Coen Brothers movies this week. So glad the storm is missing the DC area!!! No desire to be housebound this week.

Updated December 26th, 2010 at 06:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  7. 12 Swim-Kicks of Xmas Eve, Friday, Dec. 24

by , December 24th, 2010 at 02:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I read Stud's workout this am and decided to swipe and modify it to my own kick-centric version. Took about :30 seconds rest between sets.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

12 x 50 @ 1:00
    warm up: 4 free/4 kick/4 free

11 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = breast drill
    evens = breast pull w/buoy

9 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 UW shooter on back + 25 easy back kick
    only hit the bottom a couple times

8 x 50 free w/paddles & fins @ :50
    I couldn't find my regular green paddles, so used some larger red ones I found in the family sport closet. Size does make a difference when it comes to paddles. Felt like I was flying with no effort.

7 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ :50

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy DAB

5 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ :50

4 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00

3 x 50 chest press fly drill @ :15 RI

2 x 50 easy free

1 x 50 dolphin dive

Total: 4000 meters/1500 kick

Commentary:

Still in slow mo aerobic mode, but feel like I'm finally coming out of my cold funk.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, Dec.23

by , December 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

Main Sets:

12 x 150 w/fins @ 2:30, done as
    100 swim (4 of each stroke, drill fly)
    + 5 seconds rest to don nose clip
    + 50 hypoxic dolphin kick on back (breath only after flags)

50 EZ

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = breast drill
    evens = fly drill

50 EZ

Total: 2800

Commentary:

Still battling the evil cold. But felt slightly less congested the last two days after swimming. Not much energy though, which was not helped by having 8 vials of blood drawn this am for more blood tests.

Still, I feel like I'm at least maintaining feel and focusing on technique some with these easy workouts. I felt better today in the pool than I did yesterday after being out of the water for so long. Going to try and get in a quick swim tomorrow before the festivities begin. There may be snow on Xmas day, which could result in pool closures given the general panic that ensues here. Really ready to get back to drylands and yoga soon.

Both fridges/freezers are completely stocked with food, wine and drinks. Now I'm off to start a fire, play gin rummy with Lil Fort and wrap presents.

Updated December 23rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Wed., Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2010 at 01:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still battling this nasty cold, but I may be winning ... Of course, as I've had it for 10+ days, I'm not sure this should really be described as "winning." After 5 days off, I tottered over to the pool today for a short aerobic workout:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = single arm fly
    odds = breast drill

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 shooter + 25 scull (alternate front & back)

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free
    evens = flutter kick with board

100 EZ

Total: 2400

Commentary:

The pool was more crowded than usual with college kids home for the holidays. My masters team has most of its regularly scheduled practices over the holiday season except for Xmas day. I'm hoping I feel well enough to attend a few. I've never attended our New Year practice, as I'm typically out of town, and would like to. This year, it's 111 x 50.

I'm worried that long swim meets make me sick. I seem to have had major illnesses after my last couple taper meets where I've been in the pool area all day until 5-6:00 at night. Maybe the poor air quality does a number on my apparently impaired immune system?

Mini Fort is planning her own boot camp of sorts during the holidays. I'm hoping to join her for some of it. Not feeling quite up to drylands yet though. And, no matter. Mini is now in possession of her driver's license and her life is "amazing" as a result.

Updated December 22nd, 2010 at 01:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. PM Swim at GMU, Thurs., Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2010 at 09:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Slept in today, trying to battle my cold. And I think it's holding at just a cold. Woke up to snow and schools closed 2 hours early. Was feeling slightly better, so decided to head to practice at Mason tonight. And, honestly, I didn't feel like thinking up my own practice. And I definitely didn't feel like any sprint work. It'll just be aerobic & technique work for a couple weeks as I regroup.

Got there early -- no traffic, everyone scared of 2 inches of snow -- did 15 minutes of core work and stretching while chatting with Melanie.

Swim @ Mason:

Warm up:

600 swim, middle 200 no free

400 IM, 50 kick/50 drill

600 pull
    I didn't have my paddles and wouldn't have pulled in any event w/o getting my RC exercises going again. So instead did 6 x 100 back kick w/fins @ mod pace @ 1:30.

Main Sets:

6 x 150, done as 100 IM + 50 dolphin kick on back w/fins @ 2:15 (It's been so long since I did a 100 IM in practice, I'd almost forgotten how to do one.)

50 EZ

7 x 100 @ 1:50
    1-3 kick, no fins, descend to fast
    4 = easy free
    5-7 kick, no fins, descend to fast

I descended to medium. Went 10-8-8-8 SDK per 25.

50 EZ

Starting to feel absolutely gassed and crampy here ...

3 x through:
    2 x 75 medium @ 1:15
    2 x 25 fast @ :30
    30 seconds extra rest between rounds
    wore fins, very tired

round 1 = free
    round 2 = non free (did breast)
    round 3 = kick

I had no fast gear and did all the 25s as easy speed UW shooters

100 EZ

Total: 4100/1950 kick

Commentary:

I'd almost forgot what a regular workout was like ... Thursday nights at Mason are always fun b/c Cheryl gives a mix of stroke/kick/sprint. I'm beat from that effort and pretty glad that school is already delayed 2 hours in the am. More sleep!

Updated December 17th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Vid + Recovery Swim, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2010 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

100 easy

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    5 x back/belly/right side/left side

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

10 minutes hot tub

The showers weren't working and were frigid!

Commentary:

Still pretty beat from the weekend. And the cold I was getting before is now in full force. Better now than at the meet, I guess. Hoping to go to yoga tomorrow. I seem to recall I have another PRP treatment this week as well. Finally heard of another swimmer (Nuthin But 50s) who's going to try PRP in lieu of surgery on his ACL.

100 back vid:

Stud video'd my 100 back (1:10.26) from NE Champs. Videos are always very revealing. I was underwater more than I thought despite the calf cramp. Even managed what looked like 9 SDKs on the last 25. My turnover seemed very slow and I was crossing over with my left arm. I don't usually do that. I was definitely lounging leisurely into my last couple turns. That could be party due to my unfamiliarity with backstroke flags set at 5 meters instead of 5 yards. Splits = 33.68/36.58.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlapHo1HHc"]YouTube - P1020994[/nomedia]

Same slow turnover from my 100 back in Atlanta (1:01.9), though I was underwater more there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube - Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

Tom Dolan Meet:

This was the first time in years I missed spectating and cheering at this meet. Fortunately, there was great coverage on swimming world tv. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../workouts/7540. Jack Conger's 1:43.1 200 back was amazing! I also liked comment that Janet Hu (NAG record holder and winner of the 100 fly here) trains frequently with a monofin. Mine is still awol.

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 06:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Thursday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2010 at 05:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various

2 x (15 bursts (free, dolphin kick) + 35 EZ)

2 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

4 x 25 shooters

100 back

100 free

Total: 1000

15 minutes hottub

Yoga/Stretching, 2 x 15 minutes

Commentary:

Felt pretty good today. Good DPS. Left shoulder is nagging a bit, but I think it's from tossing and turning while sleeping. Though I must admit I've shirked my RC exercises again. I'll probably just ice it tonight.

Quick posted this vid re: Nick Thoman on backstroke SDK on Speedo's blog and I just wanted to share it here as well:

Love that SDKs are for the "not so tall" and flexible." My height, or lack thereof, is usually such a disadvantage in this sport.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpN9fOGu9s"]YouTube - Underwater Backstroke Kick with David Marsh and Nick Thoman[/nomedia].

Need to finish packing. Hate packing, very tedious.

And very proud of my Mini Fort. At her volleyball banquet, she won Hardest Worker. She's currently playing lumbaro and outside hitter on her club team. Outside hitter -- despite her diminutive height. She has the highest vertical jump on her team. Shall we say sprinter?

I'm going to miss not seeing the Tom Dolan meet this year for the first time in years ... Not sure how many masters swimmers are there, but I know Wally Dicks tapered for it.

Updated December 9th, 2010 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Wed., Dec. 8

by , December 8th, 2010 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Sets:

14 x 50
    odds = 25 EZ speed fly or shooter
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (15 burst dolphin + 35 EZ)

1 x 25 fast free + 75 EZ

1 x 25 fast breast + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 1750

Commentary:

Whoa, really got carried away with all that yardage today. Still didn't feel easy speed, but felt lighter in the water. I definitely have a case of the taper hypers -- got massive errands done today. Got more sleep, but have been waking up at 6:00 am (high schoolers are stirring at this time) and having trouble falling back asleep. This happens sometimes during taper, I guess. Trying desperately not to catch Lil Fort's cold ...

Big next couple weeks ...

3 days to NE Champs
    7 days until Fort Son gets probable early decision ding
    12 days until Mini Fort gets her drivers license
    not enough days to get xmas stuff done ...

Started stocking up/packing for Boston: gus, chews, energy drinks, electrolytes & efuel, extra nose clips, new pair of goggles, 3 tech suits, gluten free bagels ... My 2 Speedo kneeskins have seen a fair number of meets between Mini and me -- 4-5 for her and 3 for me. This means they're likely both pretty stretched out. Still, we plan on using these and my B70 kneeskin (one meet) as long as possible. I'm hoping they can last through NE Champs, high school champs meets, and the Albatross meet. I also have a Q suit that Roque kindly sent me, but it was awfully tight on top for me last time I tried it. May try it again and/or see how Mini likes the fit.

Has anyone used Endurance Excel? I bought it today by accident; thought I was picking up endurolytes.

Updated December 8th, 2010 at 08:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday, Dec. 7

by , December 7th, 2010 at 05:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Sets:

10 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

8 x 50 w/fins
    #1 = 15 meter burst dolphin kick on back + EZ
    #2 = 15 meter burst dolphin kick on belly + EZ
    #3 = 25 fast backstroke kick + 25 EZ
    #4 = 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ
    #5 = 25 fast free + 25 EZ
    #6 = 50 EZ
    #7 = 50 working on breast pullouts
    # 8 = EZ

Total: 1400

Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

No easy speed yet, but I think it's coming. Although it might not be until the weekend! Not too twitchy-b*tchy yet. I think the meet last weekend may have caused a delayed onset. Got more sleep last night, but woke up to the lovely sound of shattered ceramic. Our kitten likes to jump inside everything, even things she can't get out of.

Now I'm off to finish putting 3000 white lights on my tree.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Monday, Dec. 6

by , December 6th, 2010 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

100 dolphin dive

Total: 1050

10-15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Took another recovery day post meet. Plan on meet warm ups Tues-Fri. I had the blah feeling in the water that often hits after 1 week of tapering. But I may have just been tired. I had some food poisoning or a stomach thing last night and my youngest woke up with a nightmare that her kitty died. Hoping I can actually sleep tonight. There is also a sick hubby and sick kid in the house. It seems to be a challenge staying healthy for December meets ...

NE Champs Analysis:

I'm entered in:
    100 fly (11:11 am)
    200 back (50 split)(1:22 pm)
    50 breast (3:01 pm)
    50 free (3:57 pm)

100 back (11:15 am)
    50 fly (12:23 pm)
    50 back (1:43 pm)
    100 (likely 50 split, if I bother)(2:40 pm)

The 100 back and 50 fly are really too close for my taste. It takes me forever to recover from 100s. And I still wish the 100 IM had been better placed ... My plan for the 100 fly and 100 back is to dolphin kick hard off the start and every wall and easy speed above water. I'd like to swim 50 meters of the back underwater. Not sure I can do that in fly. Have to remember to breathe more in the 100 fly to sustain the hard kicking. Not really sure what to expect timewise.

In my 50s, I'd like to go under 29 in the 50 free, under 31 in the 50 fly and under 32 in the 50 back. I converted my 50 back time from the Sprint Classic (28.1) using the GBM converter and got a 32.0. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/convert.html. 4 seconds seems rather a lot going from short course yards to short course meters, doesn't it?

Here's my 50 back from NE Champs last year. I need to see, if I can, how many strokes and kicks I took. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube - Fort SCM 50 back[/nomedia].

In 50 fly, the current event rankings look slower compared to last year. Aside from wunderkind SVDL, no one's really come close to breaking 30 without the speed suits in my age group (and that happened in both SCM and LCM in 2008-09). I'm starting to think that perhaps the suits make more of a difference in the short axis strokes than the long axis strokes. (For me, as I've said before, the biggest hit is in breaststroke.)

By way of comparison, my times in a full body racerback Pro from this meet (from TT database) in 2007 are:

2007 Short Course Meters

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    4 W45-49 50 Free Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 28.75
    4 W45-49 50 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 33.24
    5 W45-49 100 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.91
    5 W45-49 50 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 31.37
    7 W45-49 100 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.18

I have good mojo in Boston. I've always swum well at this meet (and never been DQ'd!). Hopefully it can continue. I'd like to end 2010 on a good note. And, then, I look forward to AARP-ing up at my first meet in 2011.

Updated December 6th, 2010 at 10:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sunday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2010 at 06:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a 30-35 minute slow continuous swim at my gym pool. I thought about doing some backstroke turns in meters, but I can tell the flags aren't set up right.

10 minutes in the whirlpool

Commentary:

My legs were tired from yesterday, and left calf feels slightly re-strained. I pulled out my compression tights to wear around today. No more backstroke starts this week.

Busy busy day of xmas decorating. I broke down and agreed to a real tree again, but only if we get an air purifier for the room. I don't want a repeat of last year.

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf

Looking forward to seeing the results of the SPMA meet. Bummed to see Allen Stark was deeked in the 100 evil.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2010 at 04:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just hopped in for a meet warm up. I felt warmed up after about 20 minutes, which is surprising for me. I usually take awhile to loosen up, so I did a bit more anyway. Just did slow swimming, some one arm fly, 1 x build to fast free, 1 x fast back kick, and 2 x dolphin kick bursts. Sat in whirlpool afterward.

The women's locker room at my gym has been renovated. Sadly, though, they've done away with the steam room.

Felt better in the water today. Looking forward to the meet tomorrow. Of course, I'm not doing much so there's no pressure.

Good luck to everyone swimming this weekend at the various meets around the country!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Thursday, Dec. 2

by , December 2nd, 2010 at 05:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

6 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00

6 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

8 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ)
    odds = back
    evens = belly

50 EZ

Total: 1650

Commentary:

Just did a slow easy swim focusing on technique. No easy speed for me yet though.

About to head off to a banquet to open the high school swim season. Tomorrow night is the first meet. Good thing I checked the volunteer schedule, as I'm officiating. Pretty much a no brainer at these meets. Mini has expressed interest in re-joining a USAS team. We're mulling over what might be the right team/group fit for her. Not sure if will work with volleyball in the mix ... Some coaches are strict about the # of practices.

Psych sheets for the Last Minute Meet are out. There's almost 100 swimmers, and the usual fast suspects are there. I think it will be fun just to attend, spectate and do my wee sprints!

Nationals is on NBC at 3:00 on Saturday Dec. 11!

Livestream at: http://www.swimnetwork.com/

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 08:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Wed., Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2010 at 08:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

4 x (4 x 50)
    4 single arm fly @ 1:00
    4 backstroke @ 1:00
    4 breaststroke @ 1:15
    4 free @ 1:00

5 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins, shooters on the 1st and 3rd 25 @ 2:00

50 EZ

3 x 50
    backstroke start & fast kick to 15 meters, then cruise

50 EZ

3 x (25 free + 50 EZ)

25 EZ

2 x (fast 50 breast + 100 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2750

Yoga:

Took Mini to the gym since, as a sophomore, she's not allowed to do weights with her high school team b/c she "is still growing." Hmm ... she's been the same height since 6th grade. Just as I have been until yoga grew me an inch. Anyway, I did 40 minutes of stretching while she pumped iron. And I'm feeling quite virtuous about it.

Commentary:

Felt sluggish as expected. Plan to shift into high taper mode tomorrow with a short slow recovery swim and a meet warm up on Friday. After the Last Minute Meet on Saturday, I'll just do a recovery swim on Sunday and then a meet warm up type swim the rest of the week until I leave on Friday.

I received an email from the primary contact at GBM confirming that the correction to my name had been made (despite the fact that the athlete entry list has not been updated). Whew. Still seems odd that there was no meet director listed on the meet info. You would think that would be a requirement.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 08:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Tuesday, Nov. 30

by , November 30th, 2010 at 08:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

32 x 50, done as:
    (did them all @ 1:00-1:15, depending on my level of interest and level of chatting with Pete)

8 x 50
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = breast

8 x 50
    odds = double shooter
    evens = front scull + burst doggy paddle

8 x 50
    25 overkick free + 25 EZ

8 x 50
    odds = russian breast drill
    evens = breast w/thumbs up recovery drill

(I believe I have the same stroke flaw that Allen Stark mentioned on the Breaststroke Lane thread about going too deep when lunging forward. Hence the KPN thumbs up breast drill. Breaststroke is the most awful confounding stroke ... I'm not sure why I bother without a coach sometimes, except that it seems to agree with my shoulders.)

100 EZ

4 x (25 burst/cruise + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2550

Commentary:

I was trying to focus on technique today, but I felt adrift. Once the word "taper" enters my brain, I become lazy and don't want to do anything in the water. Even sprints. I guess the benefit of this ennui is that I am truly resting. But I may also fall asleep in the water. And I felt like crap today and was cramping in my left calf and feet like crazy. Because I've been cramping since last week, I went back to my massage therapist this afternoon and had her work on my legs for 30 minutes. This will likely cause more sluggishness in the water tomorrow, but I will ignore it. I don't really care how I feel this week, and will endeavor (possibly unsuccessfully) not to micro-analyze it next week either.

And I am now shifting into annoyance over my entry for the NE Champs. I haven't received a response to either of my emails. There is no other contact info on the meet forms. I sent an email tonight to the primary contact for Great Bay Masters. Anyone else have any ideas as to how to get my name changed on the athlete/entry list? I don't really want to swim as Leslie Linngston!

I heard that there were only 519 entries at Long Beach this year after cracking 1000 last year. That's quite a drop for the meet that has been touted as the unofficial national scm champs ...

My daughter gets her driver's license in 21 days ... However, I have to admit, it may really make my life easier, especially with her doing 2 sports at the moment.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 10:38 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts