View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Sat., Nov. 19

by , November 19th, 2011 at 08:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After getting up at the crack of dawn for 2 all star soccer games and returning to feed a hypoglycemic Jimby Thornton, Jimby and I drove to the pool to swim with Speedo. We found him traumatized by a goggle clad mini manikin -- and it was indeed pretty creepy. We were very fortunate to get a lane just as a class was ending.

Swim/SCY @ SpringHill:

Warm up:

600 various
    3 x 50 single arm fly

Main Sets:

10 x 100 @ 2:00
    - 75 easy @ 1:15
    - 25 fast @ 100 pace or burst @ :45
    -- mixed strokes & back kick

100 EZ

4 x 100 @ 2:00

- I did flutter kick w/board & fins, went 15 seconds from top behind the freestyle addicts
    - 1st 100 = X
    - 2nd 100 5 sec break @ 50, total time must < X
    - 3rd 100 5 sec break @ 50 and 75, total time must < X
    - 4th 100 5 sec break @ 25, 50, and 75, total time must < X
    - went 1:22 (1:07), 1:18, 1:17, 1:1?
    - went too fast on #2, legs burning by the end, can't remember my time on the last one, but it was not <1:17.

200 EZ

I did not comply with the request to do "tantric" 50s. Instead:

8 x 50 @ free w/paddles & fins @ 1:00

I also did not succumb to peer pressure to do a fast 100. (I had done 2 yesterday, after all while they were lazy.)

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins, :23

150 EZ or so

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After this delightful swim, I raced back to the far away soccer field. I could have sat in the hottub as the tournament was running behind. Then I froze to death watching 2 more games. But tomorrow may be Lil Fort's last day of soccer, as she is likely retiring from the sport either now or next spring. She played great though.

Whatever has ailed me has moved on to my eyes. They are just killing me; feels like a painful attack of dry eye or iritis or super allergies, I really hope this is a short-lived problem. Jimby poked and prodded my still sore elbows and pronounced that I have a case of "tennis elbow." He thinks this was likely caused by the motion used in the heavy push presses I had done. This fall has been rather trying.

Updated November 19th, 2011 at 10:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Friday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2011 at 04:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar
    evens = single arm

16 x 25 shooters w/MF
    8 back, 8 belly

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x 25 no breather over kick free w/fins & paddles @ :45

8 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    4 swim, 4 kick

100 EZ

2 x broken 100s w/fins AFAP
    -- broken :15 @ 50 & 75
    1 = breast (28, 1:26 (:56)) + 100 EZ
    2 = fly (mid 23, 1:17(:47)) + 200 EZ
    -- should have done 200 after the first one. really felt the burn

4 x 25 free w/parachute & paddles @ 1:15

4 x 25 burst dolphin kick on belly w/parachute & fins @ 1:15

100 EZ

Total: 2750

I drove to OakMarr today only to find it closed. Lost 20+ minutes of workout time driving to Spring Hill Rec, and only did 2 broken 100s. This did not break my heart. The lasstitude has not yet quite relinquished it's hold on me. Hoping some R&R in the sun next week will really perk me up. And so happy that I get to avoid all that nasty Thanksgiving food!

Jimby is driving down tonight to pick up his son from college. I didn't think I would have time for a swim with him with Lil Fort's soccer tournament. But there is a big mid-day break tomorrow during which we might squeeze in a swim. After taking yesterday off, I should probably try to stay in the water until I leave b/c I doubt I'll do much but splash around in Miami Beach. I wonder what the water temp is like this time of year?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Tuesday, Nov. 15

by , November 15th, 2011 at 04:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:10
    evens = single arm fly @ 1:00

20 x 25 shooters w/MF
    8 back, 8 belly, 4 360s

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

16 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    8 dolphin w/MF, 4 fast breast pull, 2 back spin drill, 2 free

200 EZ

6 x (50 AFAP w/fins or MF + 150 EZ) @ 5:00

1 = fly, mid 23
    2 = fly, mid 23
    3 = breast, high 28
    4 = double shooter on belly w/MF, open turn, 21 mid
    5 = double shooter on belly w/MF, lost fin at the turn
    6 = double shooter on belly w/MF, open turn, 21 flat

Total: 3400

ART, 30 minutes

Glad my chiro had a last minute opening! Had him work on my elbows some today. He says they'll cool down. There's some inflammation in both the muscles and tendons.

I still felt somewhat tired in the water today. But my times on the AFAP 50s belied that, and I was pleased with them. Focused mostly on kicking today to give the elbows some rest.

Speedo's comment about tapering weights for the LC meet made me think that I need to put some thought into my meet prep/rest for the Last Chance meet and NE Champs. They're sneaking up on me! I did sign up for the LC meet -- 100 free (50 split) and 100 breast.

Updated November 15th, 2011 at 06:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  4. Monday, Nov. 14

by , November 14th, 2011 at 03:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:15

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst @ 1:00
    -- At this point, it became clear to me that I wouldn't be sprinting today, so defaulted to easy aerobic work.
    50 EZ

5 x:
    100 IM smooth @ 2:00
    50 kick, 25 fast + 25 EZ @ 1:00

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ :45
    odds = dolphin kick
    evens = flutter kick
    -- held 29-32

100 EZ

8 x 25 breast kick

Total: 3600

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Feeling much better cold wise. But I was fairly sore and tired today from Saturday drylands; may have overdone it a bit. So I shifted the speed workout until tomorrow. Also did not get as much sleep as usual this weekend with Lil Fort having an early soccer game Sat. and an early race on Sun. I was very proud of her; she ran 22:42 on a hilly 5K course with Mr. Fort. She was a little taken aback when a couple HS cross county runners (whom she beat) came up and asked her where she was going to high school.

I am also slightly worried about my elbows. They've been sore since I bumped the weights up on the deadlift (I find it amusing that my auto correct always wants to type this as deadliest) and hi row. I've never had a single issue with my elbows before, so I'm not sure what to make out of it. I may have to ratchet down the upper body weights somewhat for awhile and stop doing torque drills with paddles.

And just for kicks and inspired by Speedo, I went on myfitnesspal.com to see what it had to say about caloric intake. After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!

And just to annoy Jazz, an article from NYT on athletes and aging:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1...ough-exercise/. I found nothing stupid about it.

Updated November 14th, 2011 at 03:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  5. Friday, Nov. 11

by , November 11th, 2011 at 05:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Plyos:

TRX squat jumps, 3 x 10
    TRX lateral barrier hops, 3 x 10
    TRX standing roll outs, 2 x 20
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    ropes, alternating arms, 2 x 50
    ropes, double arm, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters

8 x 50 @ 1:00 w/paddles
    odds = free
    evens = back kick

50 EZ

Main Sets:

16 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    various: back spin drill, breast pull, fast doggy paddle pull, free, dolphin kick

100 EZ

4 x 25 no breather free @ :30
    1 x 50 fly w/fins fast (24) @ 1:30
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30
    4 x 50 breast w/fins descend (39, 35, 32, 29 high)
    100 EZ

4 x 25 shooter @ :30
    1 x 50 fly w/fins fast (high 23)
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30
    4 x 50 dolphin kick w/board & fins descend (33, 30, 28, 26)
    100 EZ

100 EZ

4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30

100 EZ

Total: 3250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling better today on day 6 of nasty cold. Was a bit worried during warm up that I shouldn't have done the drylands, but it was fine. Glad to get some speed work in. Really glad Mr. Fort is coming home late tonight; he's been in AZ all week.

Free food fixes:
    http://centerofoptimalrestoration.co...ee-food-fixes/

Swim Science interview with Jeff Commings:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...f-comings.html

Updated November 11th, 2011 at 07:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Thursday, Nov. 10

by , November 10th, 2011 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 minutes

Wasn't as psyched as usual about going to ART as I'm still not feeling well. But the timing with heavy weights yesterday was good. He worked on the muscles around my elbows and my back, which was a bit sore from the squats/deadlifts. He used something called an arthur stem along my spine: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYDHDe4MAQ"]Arthur stem adjustment - YouTube[/nomedia]. We also talked a bit about LED light therapy for athletes, which is very cutting edge. http://www.activerelease.com/leahy_recommends.asp.

Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- tired, wore fins

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

15 x 50 @ :50
    1-5 = free w/paddles
    6-10 = flutter kick w/board
    11-15 = free w/paddles
    50 EZ

15 x 50
    1-5 = fly/back @ 1:00
    6-10 = dolphin kick w/board @ :50
    11-15 = breast/free @ 1:00
    50 EZ

15 x 50 @ 1:00
    1-5 = single arm fly
    6-10 = 25 shooter + 25 EZ
    11-15 = single arm fly
    50 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

10 x burst 25s @ 1:00
    6 swim, 4 flutter kick w/board

100 EZ

Total: 3350

Not really any better. Doubling up on mucinex, Metagenics cold & flu and echinacea tea. Feeling somewhat better after the swim though. I wanted to do That Guy's IM pyramid set today but IMs seemed too exhausting. Hopefully, I can do some real speed work tomorrow. Need more

I wore my 2XU compression tights last night for a couple hours. Very different and tighter than the Skins. My legs felt pretty good today as a result despite all the squats & deadlifts.

20 Most Overrated Supplements:
    http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/...dium=1#slide-1

Updated November 10th, 2011 at 08:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  7. Struck Down Again, Tues., Nov. 8

by , November 8th, 2011 at 03:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar
    evens = single arm fly

8 x 50
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens =SSR drill

8 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = torque drill
    evens = front scull

50 EZ

Total: 1850

After being healthy for maybe a week, I was struck down again on Saturday night. This sickness doesn't have the flu-like symptoms of the first. But it is a nasty cold. Was reduced to noodling about today, and had no energy. Really hoping I don't miss another full week of training; haven't been in the water since last Friday. In view of this double whammy and my Thanksgiving trip with Teen Fort, I am scaling back expectations for NE Champs. I won't be doing a full taper -- not much to taper from right now. Might just quit weights on Nov. 30 and rest in the pool 5 days. I'll assess again later. I think I should be exempt from illness at least until after xmas!

And I have good news to report about my Lil Fort. She shocked us this weekend by dropping over a 1:00 in her 3K qualifier race and running under the NQT by 13 seconds. She might be learning to pace herself a bit better; she'd been starting out too slowly. Unfortunately, she had already committed to an all star soccer tournament, which is the same week as nationals. But there is always this spring or next year! She was thrilled.

Toddling back to the coach ...

Updated November 8th, 2011 at 03:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Friday, Nov. 4

by , November 4th, 2011 at 04:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill
    evens = single arm fly

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    4 back, 4 belly

Main Sets:
    (Stolen from a recent Paul Smith workout)

3 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    1st round = kick
    2nd round = swim IM order
    3rd round = best average
    -- did breast w/fins and went 33, 33, 32, 31
    -- really working on doing a fly like pull

50 EZ

4 x (4 x 75) @ 1:30
    1 = 1st 25 fast
    2 = 2nd 25 fast
    3 = 3rd 25 fast
    4 = 75 fast
    round 1 = free w/paddles (40 on the 75)
    round 2 = flutter kick w/board & fins (43)
    round 3 = IM (fly/back/breast) (42)
    round 4 = dolphin kick w/board & fins (43)

-- kicks were easier than the swims since I could breathe
    -- no Spr break (akin to Q break) between rounds because I was on Spr interval

200 EZ

Total: 3250

Scurried into my spandex to head to the 2:00 pm bikram class ...

Bikram, 90 minutes:

This was a great class for me. I usually struggle a bit after a layoff and going right after a workout, but not today. I got a couple "excellents" and a "you totally rocked the class today." Huh. No one passed gas, got emotional, or ran from the classroom. And it was a relatively balmy 105 instead of 110.

Loved the Clydesdale workout! A nice complement to my AFAP workouts. And sometimes going "fast" is a nice break from going "AFAP" where you have to be really mentally prepared and aggressive. I was surprised I could do a double after yesterday's hard sprint effort, but I was full of energy again today. This is day 5 of an increase in thyroid meds, so I'm thinking it's that. When my wacky thyroid is on the blink, anything but 50s seem "long and sad" (to quote Jazz). Right now, I feel like I could do another workout! Going to shift my day off from Sat until Sunday around Lil Fort's sport schedule. Don't even feel like I need a day off at the moment.

Booked my flight/hotel for Boston today. I've decided on my events for my two December meets.

Last Chance: 100 free (50 split), 100 breast
    NE Champs: Sat: 100 IM, 100 fly, 50 free 50 breast; Sun: 200 IM (50 fly split), 50 fly, 100 free

I thought about signing for the 800 free on Friday night to get a 50 or 100 split, but I want to be completely fresh for Saturday's events.

Scary article about moderate drinking in the WSJ:
    http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...sj_share_email

Updated November 4th, 2011 at 04:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  9. Thursday, Nov. 3

by , November 3rd, 2011 at 06:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

800 various

10 x 50
    3 x free with paddles, kick, double arm torque drill
    50 EZ

8 x 25 shooters
    work on DPK

Speed Work:

4 x burst 25s @ 1:00
    50 EZ

6 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 5:00
    fly back, 24 low
    breast free, 25 high
    fly back, 24 flat-ish
    breast free, 26 mid
    fly, 23 high
    free, 23 low
    -- Dumb moment on free. Breathed into and out of the turn.

100 EZ

4 x 25 free w/paddles & parachute

50 EZ

Total: 3000

Core Work:

TRX hip bridge, 2 x 20
    TRX standing roll outs, 2 x 20
    TRX knee ins, 3 x 10
    TRX pendulum, 2 x 10
    (kinda hard to control)
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    push ups w/ one hand on med ball, 2 x10 both ways

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller:

20 minutes

Woke up full of energy today! Especially after my 2 cups of coffee. Couldn't make it to Oak Marr b/c of mid-day dr. appt, but it appears that Speedo may still be dry anyway. Feel like I got in a kick ass sprint workout with some fast times. Quads are still burning, so I didn't do any of them kick (though my swims involve a lot of kicking). Had time later for a quick core workout. The suspended core exercises on the TRX are challenging, but I worry about my shoulder if I ramp up the reps.

Chatted with my doc about sleep some today. He concurred with QBrain's statement that sleep patterns only shift one way -- later. Even if you have a concrete reason for wanting to shift to an earlier schedule, your brain still knows that your underlying preference is for more sleep/to sleep later. He also agreed with my sense that if you are a night owl, like me, you usually won't perform at your best in a morning race. How I wish we had more afternoon meets! But at least at NE Champs, I will be on a late am-late afternoon racing schedule.

I also sent in my registration for USAS today. Won't go to many meets, but I'm hoping there might be a couple that fit my schedule. Maybe the Jan. Open? I haven't been registered since 2009 (when I actually swam the 200 LCM backstroke).

Flip turn flaws: http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...urn-flaws.html

Interesting track article:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-already-alive

Updated November 3rd, 2011 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  10. Wed., Nov. 2

by , November 2nd, 2011 at 08:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

8 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = free @ :50
    evens = front scull @ 1:10

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:10

10 x 25 shooters w/MF

50 EZ

Main Sets:

5 x 100 dolphin kick w/board & MF @ 2:00
    1 = 25 fast (12)+75 EZ
    2 = 50 fast (26) + 50 EZ
    3 = 75 fast (43) + 25 EZ
    4 = 100 fast (58)
    5 = EZ

-- Had intended to do another round, but my quads were screaming at me after yesterday's drylands. Didn't feel like doing a half ass kick set.

Allen Stark Set:
    30 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    15 burst + smooth swim
    extra :30 rest after 10 & 20
    1-10 = fast doggy paddle & fast breast
    11-20 = back spin drill & free
    21-20 = flutter & dolphin kick

100 EZ

Total: 3800

Yoga/stretching, 30 minutes

Knew I would be sore after re-starting weights yesterday and I am.

I liked the set Allen recommended. It's a hybrid sprint + aerobic set. He says it's the "only aerobic set he can get himself to do." Very tired after and had to force myself to stretch before picking up Lil Fort from swim practice. With Mr. Fort gone this week and the girls having swim practice at night, I haven't found a good time to go to bikram.

Teen Fort is taking weight lifting as an elective at school this year. She's been bragging about how strong she's gotten. Even says it's helped her swimming (she's only in 2x week now before high school swimming and winter crew training start).
  11. Vids, Monday, Oct. 31

by , October 31st, 2011 at 07:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

4 x 50 free drill (turtles)
    4 x 25 free DPS
    100 back kick, 12.5-15 UW each 25

4 x 50 back drill (turtles)
    4 x 25 back DPS

4 x 50 breast drill (alternate dolphin & whip kick)
    4x 25 breast DPS

4 x 50 fly drill (single arm)
    4 x 25 fly DPS

4 x 50 free w/paddles
    4 x 25 front scull w/paddles

5 x 100 IM smooth @ 1:45

100 EZ

Total: 3300

Opted for a recovery swim instead of yoga. Unlike Speedo, I'm still kinda tired and sore. I saw last year it took me a couple days to really boot back up.

But on to more interesting things: videos:

Jazz & Pete's 50 free:
    Jazz in 5 (white cap), Pete in 8 (Partially obscured by spectators even though I yelled at them. )
    http://youtu.be/V9KxHc3Seu0
    -- I am green with envy over Speedo's start.
    -- Jazzy on the other hand may need remedial start lessons like me. But he exploded after the breakout and had a very fast turn after stressing about it in warm up.
    -- I also must say that Jazz and Speedo are both looking more buff than I've ever seen them.

My 50 back:
    Me in lane 5, uber backstroker friend Susan Williams in lane 4.
    -- She got me on the second underwater. I did flop on my back a bit on the start as Speedo noted. Not sure if I should have taken another stroke at the finish or not. Looks like I also hesitated slightly at the flags trying to gage the finish.
    -- Mr. Fort was saying that the perfect race probably only comes along "once in a millennium." (If so, I had mine at the Albatross meet.)
    http://youtu.be/D8N93MDXdaA

As Q predicted, I'm more stoked about my 50 back time and broken 100 IM today. I am slightly bummed that I swam with a tear in my suit during the meet. I've only used the suit at LC Nationals, so it was pretty new. On other note: I forgot to take my thyroid medicine yesterday am in my hurry to get out the door. T3 doesn't stay in your system long, so that might have accounted for some sight fatigue.

And there was success on the Halloween front. I managed to get red contacts in Lil Fort's eyes and she happily went off as Jane of the Volturi into the mega candy night with her withy friends.

Updated November 1st, 2011 at 10:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2011 at 02:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

12 x 50, 3 x
    caterpillar
    single arm fly
    25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ
    back w/turtles

25 EZ

4-5 dives from side

4 x 50 burst + cruise
    2 dolphin, 2 back spin drill

2 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    breast, free

100 EZ

Total: 1800

Feel much better in and out of the water! And may feel even better after this afternoon's massage. Still a bit tired from these sprinty workouts though, probably just par for the course at the end of a nasty cold.

Meet Info:

Sprint Classic at GMU, Sunday:
    Psych/Heat Sheets:
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3308
    Estimated Timeline:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/GMUSpr...edTimeline.pdf

In my two focus events, I entered the times I went last year and am in lane 5 -- yay! If I have any issues in my first 50 back, I may scratch 50 fly and do another 50 back as a split in the 100. If not, I'll swim the 50 back and 50 fly and get ready for the Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Last Chance SCM Meet in DC 12/4:
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1403&smid=3454
    -- Maybe just 50 free? Or maybe I should swim 100 fly at this meet and then swim the open 50 free in Boston? Don't want to swim more than 1-2 events here with my taper meet the following weekend.

NE SCM Champs in Boston 12/10-11:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...xN2Qy&hl=en_US

May opt to swim:
    Saturday: 100 IM, 100 fly or 50 free, 50 breast
    Sunday: 200 IM (50 fly split), 50 fly, 100 free (as a 100 or for a 50 free split)
    -- Wish there were more time between the 100 IM and 100 fly as these are big focus events for me at this meet. The open 50 free is shortly after 100 fly -- total non starter for me.

Any thoughts?

Updated October 28th, 2011 at 05:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, Oct. 27

by , October 27th, 2011 at 04:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters

4 x 50 kick no fins @ 1:00

4 x 40 torque drills @ 1:30
    2 w/paddles, 1 without, 1 easy

6 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    2 free, 4 dolphin no fins

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ)
    2 free (10s), 2 shooters (9s)

100 EZ

Total: 1900

ART, 30 minutes

Met up with Speedo and Josh (Machine coach) for a quick speed workout to prep for the meet. I felt somewhat sluggish and not sharp. Hopefully, the fast bits of yesterday and today will wake my body up a bit. Almost recovered, just a bit tired and stuffy.

We chatted about Speedo's bikram "experience." Josh does bikram and heated vinyassa. After my groupon for bikram is done, I may check out the Down Dog -- free the first week!

Hadn't been in for an ART session in awhile. Need to do it more regularly ... Had a chat with my doc about gluten. He recommended the book "Wheat Belly," which apparently explains in part why there seems to be a demi epidemic of gluten intolerance and why gluten is bad stuff. We also discussed the increasing number of elite athletes in many sports adopting a gluten free diet. I'm not religious about avoiding it anymore, but I don't eat much gluten. (It has a negative impact on thyroid function anyway.)

Swimmers vs. Bodybuilders:

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...-builders.html

Info on NE SCM Champs is available at:

http://scmchamps.blogspot.com/

Usually do OK with the order of events for this meet. Not so much this time ... I will have to do at least one split request. Absolutely no good time to do a 50 free. May have to do that at the Last Chance meet just to get a time.

Updated October 27th, 2011 at 09:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  14. Wed., Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2011 at 03:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

12 x 50 fly drills, 3 x
    caterpillar
    chest press
    single arm
    25 fly + 25 EZ

6 x 25 shooters

25 EZ

8 x 25 no breather free w/paddles

25 EZ

6 x 50
    burst 15 + cruise
    3 swim, 3 dolphin kick no fins

25 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    free, breast

25 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins
    -- went 24 flatish
    -- fin slipped off heel on 2nd 25

200 EZ

Total: 2400

Feel decidedly better today, though not 100%. Felt kinda "sleepy" in the water. But I was able to punch out some fast efforts. The 50 fly felt somewhat choppy, but I was happy to see the time, especially since I almost lost my fin. So my speed seems to have survived the malaise.

I feel a bit creeky, haven't stretched in ages and my neck is a mess again. But I have ART and a massage scheduled on Thursday and Friday, so that should help the situation.

No psych sheet yet, but 162 swimmers in the meet. Lil Fort's coach is even swimming.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday, Oct. 25

by , October 25th, 2011 at 06:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

15 x 50 w/paddles
    3 x scull/caterpillar fly/chest press fly/single arm fly/torque drill

20 x 25 shooters w/MF
    8 back
    8 belly
    4 360s

50 EZ

14 x 25
    odds = burst (various)
    evens + glide drill

50 EZ

Total: 2300

That's all I had in me today. Better than nothing. Didn't feel terrible in the water, just no energy at all. Getting better, but sinuses still iffy and tired.

Up to 144 swimmers entered in the meet! And the ED Rob Butcher is entered.

Took my Lil Fort in for her annual check up today. We both got our flu shots. They took my temp to make sure I did't have a fever (though I knew I didn't). 97.6, a clear hypo indicator. Also still getting tingling in hands, a clear neurological hypo indicator. Grr ...

Altitude training for swimmers:
    ttp://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/26058.asp
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday, Oct. 21

by , October 21st, 2011 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up & Transition:

600 various

9 x 50 fly drills
    3 x caterpillar, chest press, single arm

9 x 50 w/paddles
    3 x free, back kick, scull

50 EZ

Speed Work:

4 x (3 x 25 on back w/MF)
    1 = easy speed
    2 = fast burst
    3 = fast 25, went low 9s

50 EZ

6 x 25 burst @ 1:00
    odds = back spin drill
    evens = fast doggy paddle drill

100 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP + 100 EZ)
    1 = fly, low 24 (saw a flash of a 23 as I looked up)
    2 = back shooter w/MF
    -- one foot came out of MF on the turn, limped home
    3 = back shooter w/MF, low 21 with a cautious turn (had a long look at 20 as I glided in)

50 EZ

Total: 2650

Really happy with the 50s. I think that's the fastest I've gone with the MF. And I didn't even get a good push off the wall. Tried an even higher cycle dolphin kick. Wanted to do a bit more, but ran out of time. Still got in 10 bursts, 4 fast 25s and 2 fast 50s.

Have a busy weekend with soccer, cross country, another homecoming and Mr. Fort is in Boston. It occurred to be that he's traveled and raced more than me this year. I will keep that in mind for future negotiations.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wed., Oct. 19

by , October 19th, 2011 at 06:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

9 x 50 fly drill

Hypoxic/Aerobic Work:

12 x 25 shooters w/MF
    4 x back, belly, 360

3 x (5 x 50 double shooter w/MF @ 1:00)
    -- extra :30 after each round
    -- had some trouble with my laxto nose clip after the flip turns on some of these. Speedo must have stretched it out.

100 EZ

16 x 25 fly w/fins @ :35

50 EZ

Total: 2550

Bikram, 90 minutes:

Just did what Chowmi would call a "positioning" workout today. Getting ready for some more speed work tomorrow. Or, if I'm feeling tired in the am, I'll take an extra day off and do the speed workout on Friday. Going to eschew a lactate set this week -- too close to the SC. And I'm done with drylands. I fear boredom in the following days.

Didn't have any serious sinus issues today on the underwater bits, though I am am definitely suffering from allergies. Last year at this time, I had a sick taper for the SC. Spring and fall just kill me.

Had a heat nazi instructor today. She always has the heat up high. I wish I knew when she was teaching so that I could avoid her classes. I suffered miserably the last 20 minutes. I wish there were an option for slightly shorter classes as there are in other places. Surprisingly, though, did very well on the balancing postures.

Swimming New from Pan Ams:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ords&mid=50948
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...-Fall&mid=5094
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...peal&mid=50949

Breathing:

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...spiratory.html

Updated October 19th, 2011 at 09:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  18. Monday, Oct. 17

by , October 17th, 2011 at 06:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

9 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters
    -- Really weird. I was getting a sharp pain above my right eye when I was under on my back. Had to surface early a couple times. WTH?
    -- decided not to do planned timed UW swims

Speed Sets:

8 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = DPS free @ 1:00
    evens = double arm torque drill @ 1:15
    50 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP fly w/fins + 150 EZ)
    -- went low to mid 24s
    -- fly DPS seems better

3 x (25 AFAP free + 75 EZ)

6 x 25 free w/parachutes & paddles

50 EZ

Total: 2950

Stretching/Yoga, 40 minutes

Feeling kinda tired. I can tell I'm really due for a recovery week. Was glad I could get in some fast 50s despite that. Fly feels good!

I entered the Sprint Classic. Planned my happiness jaunt with Teen Fort. Now I have to start looking for flights to NE Champs with my United credit.

There was some fast swimming at Pac Masters Champs and the Rowdy Gaines meet last weekend. Cool that Natalie Coughlin swam in a masters meet, even if only exhibition.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  19. Sunday, Oct. 16

by , October 16th, 2011 at 08:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

9 x 50 w/paddles @ 1:00
    3 x free/back kick/scull

9 x 50 fly drills

Main sets:

16 x 25 shooters on back w/MF @ :30ish

16 x 50 w/MF @ 1:00
    odds = dolphin kick w/board
    evens = breast
    50 EZ

16 x 25 flutter kick w/board @ :30
    2 x 4 fast + 4 easy
    50 EZ

10 x 50 @ noodler interval
    25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 easy
    -- supposed to do 16, but got tired of waiting for noodler

16 x 25 free w/paddles @ :30
    1 breath

100 EZ

Total: 4250

That was my "aerobic" workout for the week. Trying to decide how much to rest before the Sprint Classic on Oct. 30. Just enough to swim a fast 50 back, but not too much. I swam next to Wally today at OakMarr. He agreed with me that a fast 100 requires a full taper. So that might not happen for my 100 back until Nationals next spring. Now I have to get busy and enter the meet. I'm going to take chowmi's advice and enter 50 back/50 fly/100 back/200 IM to keep all my options open. And the 4 25s of course!

Updated October 16th, 2011 at 10:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Power Play, Thursday, Oct. 13

by , October 13th, 2011 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo @ OakMarr

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    8 x 25 shooters

10 x 50 on 1:00
    -- mixed strokes and kick

Power Sets w/Toys:

8 x 25 drag race @ 1:00
    -- burst 6 strokes with no push off (4 free, 4 back)
    -- drag race style, floating, then go from zero. or in my case almost zero. took a tiny push off cuz slightly worried about shoulders. will try none next time.

4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:30

5 x 30s (while Speedo was using parachute)
    -- dive from side + power dolphin kick to 15 m + cruise back

4 backstroke starts to 15m + cruise back

8 x 25 power kick w/parachute & paddles
    -- 4 on back (shooter), 4 on tummy to 15 m

100 EZ

Total: 2570

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller, 45 minutes

So glad I stretched! Finally! I was pretty sore today from weights yesterday. Was not ready for lots of timed swims. Glad that Speedo was up for fun power-oriented play.

Thinking of going away at Thanksgiving with Teen Fort. Neither of us are fans of the holiday. And I'm thinking we need a short happiness trip. Besides, Mr. Fort goes on a ski jaunt every year. So it's our turn. It may not be the best timing for NE Champs, but I don't care.

Muscle Glycogen Synthesis:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21986807

Another Natalie Coughlin workout:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/elite-athlet...n?vid=26748276

Rebecca Soni on Breast:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/pos...e-breaststroke

Cool TRX exercise:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_zwxQuVrbo"]TRX TV October: Incline Press - YouTube[/nomedia]

Updated October 13th, 2011 at 08:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga