View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Sunday, Dec. 6

by , December 6th, 2009 at 11:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 25 shooters

Main set:

4 x through:

100 back or back kick (2 each) @ 2:00
    50 hypoxic back, breath at turn
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy
    25 AFAP free + 25 easy

4 x 25
    1-3 = long evil pullouts
    4 = AFAP back
    I forgot Fortina on the last back, and it was absolutely dreadful and appalling. I never want to swim back without Fortina. Can't stand the sensation of water rushing into my nose anymore. So now I'm a Fortina addict.

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

hottub + steam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Took, yesterday off as usual. Jeez, I think I swam 6 days last week since I was deprived of other forms of exercise. lol Better to be in the water more during taper anyway.

My free felt pretty good today. I'm really working on keeping my head still when I sprint. I need to do an event analysis, but I'm too lazy this late at night after a busy meet filled weekend. I like CS's list of goals, though I think my own might be slightly more moderate this time around. I've been doing all PBs at my taper meets lately, and don't think this trend can continue much longer/indefinitely. (Sorry, Wolfy.)

On an up note, Mini Fort's high school team won both their meets. I like high school meets -- it's more about racing than times and depth matters so everyone can score points. Mini rocks in the 200 IM ... if only she could even remotely do backstroke ...

Made it through day 2 of the no lactate no gluten diet. I'm wondering about WTF I'm going to eat at the meet next weekend. I think there must be one of those potentially offensive products in virtually every consumable I would typically eat during a meet ... GU is probably bad. I may have to energy bars, GU and gatorade anyway. I was checking my Endura sports drink, which has malodextrin. I have to see whether that has some lactose product in it ... Here's a good list a friend sent me: http://www.traderjoes.com/attachments/NoGluten.pdf

It's been fun watching the results come in from Long Beach. Such fast swimming there, it's unbelievable. Hoping all my friends did well at their meets too.

I have been too tired/busy/lazy to do my RC exercises for 3 days ... Not a good thing. Oh well.

Updated December 7th, 2009 at 10:07 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Friday, Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2009 at 06:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Like Chris, I was tired today after some insomnia last night. So I did the following mellow work out, which did not include any sprint work:

Swim/SCM/Solo @ hot gym pool:

Warm up:

700 variety

Aerobic Sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = backstroke kick

40 x 25 @ :20 RI (pace clocks weren't synchronized)

#1-10:
    odds = shooter on back
    evens = long evil pullout

#11-20:

odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

#21-30

odds = shooter on back
    evens = long evil pullout

#31-40:
    odds = front scull
    evens = no breather free with overkick

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2600 meters

Commentary:

Felt OK, but the temperature of the pool makes it hard to get a read on "feel." So I largely ignored that issue, and concentrated on streamlining and such.

Funny moment: There was a new middle aged lifeguard at the gym. After my work out, he approached me and warned: "I know you're a really good swimmer and all, but that underwater work is dangerous. It was all the rage years ago and varsity swimmers started passing out after practice. You better back off on that." Well, I wasn't sure what to say. I assured him that it was, once again, the "rage" and that it was just a normal part of my training. (I didn't even do that much hypoxic work today!) He clearly didn't believe me and tried again to dissuade me from doing it. lol

I've decided, starting today, to do a 2 week no gluten, no dairy products test to see if I feel any better. As I understand it, 2 weeks is an adequate period to make a preliminary assessment. I realize it's not wise to change one's diet before a meet, but I don't feel like I have any other choice. Now, I have to figure out what I'm going to eat for carbs. And I was happy to know that hemp protein is gluten free, so at least I wasn't potentially poisoning myself with that! But what am I going to do about my chip addiction?!?!

I'm excited to see the results come in from Long Beach, NY, Chicago, Charlotte and Atlanta. Wishing everyone fast swimming!

I saw some very fast swimming at the Tom Dolan meet today. I was bummed for my friend Wally Dicks, who pulled a groin muscle and had to scratch his breaststroke events. He hopes to swim at the masters meet at Wilson High School next weekend. I saw Kate Zeigler swim a leisurely 200 free. And the NOVA girls are ripping it up.

Speaking of fast, I heard KPN went for a 50 fly split in her 200 IM and swam a 29.4. I think she wants that WR back!

I'm heading to my first high school swim meet later. Start time: 8:30 pm. Seemed kinda late. Among other things, Mini Fort is swimming the 200 IM. I think the poor kid will be doing this every meet, just like I did in high school. And she absolutely hated the knee skin she had to wear this am. Said it cut off circulation in her thighs. Something to look forward to ...

Updated December 4th, 2009 at 08:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday, Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2009 at 05:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Aerobic Set:

4 x (4 x 50) @ 1:05
    4 of each stroke
    done: drill, kick, swim, hypoxic
    (did fly & back as double shooters)

50 EZ

Kick Set:

6 x 100 kick @ 2:30, no SSLSs
    odds = CS lungbusters w/UW shooters on the 1st & 3rd 25s
    evens = flutter kick w/board, 1st & 3rd 25 fast

100 EZ

Speed Set:

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    evens = 25 AFAP free w/SSLSs + 25 EZ
    odds = 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ

I then dashed out of the pool, didn't even take a shower or warm down to get home in time to take Mini Fort to an earlier swim practice today. And when I got home I was informed her coach told her to skip practice today since she's swimming in the Dolan meet tomorrow am. She coulda texted me ...

Total: 2300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm surprisingly tired from such a short workout. Jeez. On my way to fat and out of shape, for sure.

The taper bitchies have obviously set in. Or it could be combo of taper bitchies and AF.

I just screamed at the computer, screamed at lazy son, developed a grievance against Mr. Fort, and cursed the fact that high school swim meets begin at 8:30 pm. 8:30 pm?!?! Mini Fort has the Dolan meet at GMU and high school meets on Friday and Saturday nights, so it will be a busy weekend. I hope there is no drama b/c she is out of swimming shape and not wearing a fancy tech suit. In fact, she's lucky I loaned her my USA-compliant TYR to swim in.

All GMU masters practices are once again cancelled this weekend due to the meet. "Make ups" are at 4:45 and 5:30 am. I don't think this constitutes a comparable service under its contract with the masters team; nor do others.

I had my first omelet without cheese today, and that did not sit well with me either.

I'm sure I'll think of something else to complain about before the evening ends. (Oh yeah, I still have to do my stupid RC exercises. Blech.)

On an up note, I am apparently sleeping better than Chaos. Though his travails sound familiar.

I also wanted to add a couple links that Crazyman left a couple days ago that some might find interesting re: tabata interval training

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...bata-Intervals

http://www.beach-fitness.com/

Updated December 3rd, 2009 at 06:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Z-Z-Z-Z-Z, Wed., Dec.2

by , December 2nd, 2009 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Aerobic/Hypoxic Work:

3 x (3 x 100) @ 2:00
    drill, kick, swim doing fly, back, evil

I attempted to kick a 100 evil on my back to work on keeping my knees close together. Pathetic! I could move faster doing a front scull with pinky fingers only ...

20 x 25 @ :35 w/SSLSs
    4 belly
    4 let side
    4 right side
    4 back
    4 twirling

50 EZ

Speed Work:

1 x 100 back, broken at 50, 15 seconds rest, with SSLSs

1st 50 = 24.5ish
    2nd 50 = 26ish

250 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ), trying to keep head down and very still

6 x 25 fast evil pullouts, cruise to wall

The purpose of this is to spend as much time as humanly possible underwater riding the glide so that I avoid the need to evil kick very much in my 50 evil. Why on earth can't we just dolphin kick instead?

100 EZ

Total: 2950

Tried to go in the hottub, but it wasn't very hot.

ART:

Went to ART for the first time since July. Really need to go in for more maintenance here and there. He worked over my shoulder and tight calves.

We discussed various nutritional issues. I told him I was having some digestive issues recently and had given up whey protein. He still thinks that whey is superior to hemp protein for lean muscle (though apparently hemp is better if cholesterol is an issue). But it has to be high quality isolate with no concentrate. He wonders whether my reaction to whey as well as some sore throats and hives I've had recently indicate a food allergy, possibly a gluten allergy or lactate intolerance. Sigh. So I need to get tested. Jeez, it seems like, as a adult, I'm allergic to everything on the earth practically.

On a good note, he was thrilled with my good cholesterol reading of 71. Stunned when he heard Mr. Fort's was 79.

He's a fan of probiotics too. He noted that many of his elite endurance athletes use a combo of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Triathlons for Teens?

My son is hatching a plot with a CC friend to compete in an ironman tri next late summer/fall. Seems like a bad idea to me. His friend is the son of an ultra runner and is gung ho. It's the running I worry about. Seems like a lot of stress on the joints. He's done a sprint and international tri before when younger. I might agree to let him to a half iron. He could do the B2B with us. Any thoughts?

Other Commentary:

The first "I'm really getting sick of tapering" thought popped into my head today. The workouts was so dull. I can tell next week is going to be dreadful no matter how much cyber shopping I get done.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday, Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2009 at 04:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Got a start on my .com shopping today, so didn't make it to OakMarr. Had to swim in the hot gym pool, but at least it's SCM. Did another workout from my pre-Auburn taper.

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

4 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00

8 x 50 hypoxic backstroke kick, no SSLSs @ 1:15
    1st 25 = 16 SDK
    2nd 25 = 15 SDK

25 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:10 w/SSLSs
    1st 25 = easy speed fly
    2nd 25 = easy

25 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/SSLSs
    Went 27, 2 breaths

100 EZ

5 x 50
    1st 25 = fast evil
    2nd 25 = easy

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2550 meters

5 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt vaguely better in the water today. No way was the pool the advertised 84 degrees. It felt more like 86.

Checked out the CZ psych sheets. http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/120509ZoneHeats.pdf There are some very fast chicks there, including some fast backstrokers. I'm still glad I signed up for NE Champs though. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09PsychByGroup.htm I'd rather not swim "mixed" in a champ meet. Plus, BU runs 10 lanes and it looks like I have avoided the dread end lane where I almost whacked my arm on the ladder 2 years ago.

It looks like KPN is seeded faster than the WR in the 50 fly. The WR holder Lauri DiTommassi is swimming at CZ. Good racing everywhere. But the right side of the country rocks!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday, Nov. 30

by , November 30th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

6 x 100 @ 2:00
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens = backstroke

6 x 75 @ 1:30
    done as 25 twirling 4 point shooter + 25 EZ DAB + 25 easy speed fly

50 EZ

3 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 100 EZ)
    Went: 23.5, 23.5, 24
    I think 23.5 is my fastest ever in practice. I had really tight skinny streamlines on these. It was the only thing that felt good whole practice. I did arch my back on the turn on the third one -- I blame Q.

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 evil, 2 free, 2 SDK shooter

200 EZ

Total: 2950

Commentary:

Still feel crappy in the water -- tired, sore, no feel and "heavy," like my body position is lower. I'm sure the weekend of pie, pizza, chard and driving didn't help. I'm glad I'm not swimming at Zones this weekend. Note to self: Never go on long driving trips before a taper meet.

I got this workout from ones I did in the 2 weeks before the Auburn SCY meet earlier in the year that I tapered for. Then, my 3 x 50 backs AFAP were 26, 26, 25.5, so I'm faster now. I likely will keep using those workouts for reference, though I may rest even more than I did then.

I made an appt with my ART doc for Wed. I haven't been in ages. I really should have gone in when my shoulder first started expressing its disapproval of my activities.

I read today that flax seed oil is not as beneficial for cholesterol as ground flax seeds. I usually put a squirt of the oil in my recovery smoothies, but I have seeds as well. I'm still using the hemp protein instead of whey protein. The taste is most easily disguised with intense berry flavor. Today's smoothie, which I also inflicted on my little kid, contained: hemp protein, flax seeds, glutamine, walnuts, banana, frozen blackberries & strawberries, yogurt, pomegranate juice and coconut water. Nummy! Jazz says juice is like candy, but a little can't hurt that much. Jazz also has friends that think hot yoga is for "dirty hippies" ...

I am supposed to be in three different places at the same time tonight. I think my littlest will be missing swim practice b/c my son has his National Honor Society induction tonight. I don't think parents are supposed to miss that. lol If only it was as easy to get into college as it was to get into NHS!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Afternoon w/Jimby, Sat., Nov. 28

by , November 29th, 2009 at 12:00 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Yoga:

I did about 25-30 minutes of yoga and stretching today with my littlest one. Really worked over the back. I have some photos from this session, but I can't seem to upload them from this computer ...

PM: Core & Swim:

I drove to the Sewickley Y today to give Jimby tips on core exercises since he's decided I'm right. The poor man was literally in the dark without a clue! I tried to demo some of my favs and then he would attempt them (or some of them). He had his flip video camera with him, so this will no doubt end up on youtube. He was quite anxious to bounce quarters, but he seemed to think this had to be done from a prone rather than standing position? His gym was missing a couple key pieces of equipment (like a back extension bench, med balls and a bosu), but we did quite a few things including:

hanging reverse crunches & straight leg raises
    squat X press
    squat swing w/plate
    overhead squat
    deadlift
    reverse decline crunches & knee ins
    russian twists on incline bench
    superman banana
    dead bugs
    box jumps

I can't remember what else. I know I left out lunges, but Jim's back and legs will no doubt be grateful. Then we walked to the pool, Jimby all asweat, to do the following workout, which I stole and modified long ago from JMiller's Fun & Fast workout thread. It seemed like a good taper workout for me, and I think Jim liked having easier intervals and being able to focus on stroke technique and the like.

Swim SCY @ Sewickley:

Warm up:

600 variety

10 x 25 shooters
    (Jim did flutter kick)

Main set:

4 x 75 free @ 1:30
    1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 evil @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP free/evil + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 back @ 1:30
    3 x (25 AFAP back + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 fly drill @ 1:30
    2 x (25 AFAP fly + 25 EZ)
    4 x 75 SDK on back @ 1:15
    1 x (25 AFAP free +25 EZ)

50 EZ

steamroom

Total: 2850

Commentary:

I felt slightly better in the water today. I just cruised all the 75s, working on streamlines and underwater work. I'm hoping I didn't do too much in the gym to fatigue the legs. I'm sure I'll be fatigued tomorrow anyway, as I went straight from the pool to drinks with one set of friends and dinner with another set of friends. Chard overdose.

I have a really long drive ahead of me tomorrow, I know. I might try to hit the gym for a very easy swim if I get home in town. But that will completely depend on traffic.

NE CHamps:

The psych sheets for NE Champs are up at: http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09Psych.htm

I should have plenty of rest. My events start at:

Sat:

11:29: 100 IM
    3:35: 50 back
    4:59: 50 free

Sun:

11:08: 50 fly
    12:45: 100 back
    2:33: 50/100 evil
    3:32: 50/100 free

I'm a little taken back by how much time I have between the 100 IM and 50 back on Saturday. I'm not sure I've ever had that much rest between events at a meet. I'll obviously have to get in and loosen up inbetween, but I'm not exactly sure how much and when. However, the last time I sat around for 2.5 hours was before my 31.7 in the 50 back SCM last year, so maybe that bodes well. I was somewhat surprised to be seeded first in the 50/100 back. I think there must be some sandbagging going on. But at least I have a good lane. Unlike my 50 free!

Updated November 29th, 2009 at 12:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Sewickley Redux

by , November 28th, 2009 at 12:22 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went to swim with Sewickley Masters again tonight. Got to see Mermaid this time too.

SCY @ Sewickley Y:

Warm up:

700 variety + chat w/Mermaid

8 x 50 kick @ 1:00

Main sets:

6 x 50 kick @ 1:30
    odds = fast
    evens = EZ
    (Jim had to check to make sure I didn't have fins on when I gave him an arse kicking on these. lol)

8 x 50 swim @ :55
    1-6 cruise
    7 fast (went :24 back w/fins)
    8 easy

6 x 50 swim @ :45
    1-5 cruise
    6 fast (went :24ish back w/fins)
    7 easy

5 x 50 swim @ :35
    (what? I never do this interval. lol)
    1-3 cruise, make interval
    4 fast
    5 easy

I crashed into Mermaid on #3 and missed the interval, so I rested for another minute and did a fast 25 + easy 25

50 EZ

50 fast evil w/fins (:31)

50 EZ

steamroom

Total: 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I saw a bunch of people running in the am today. I happened to comment that I hate seeing people running when I can't. Mr. Fort said "why can't you run?" I just rolled my eyes ...

Still felt ploddish in the water, like I have for awhile, though my 50s were still pretty fast. Fly still feels dreadful. Could be the sugar high from yesterday, which carried on today with Xmas cookie baking and frosting. Blimp icon? And had plenty of pizza for dinner after practice with the gang too!

Tomorrow, I'm going to meet Jim at the Y and hopefully, if it's not too crowded, swim for more than 1 hour. I need more time to get all my easy swimming and lazy intervals in.

I will bring quarters.

This is probably quite odd, but I like being in my own pool and in my own house when I'm tapering ...

Updated November 28th, 2009 at 11:24 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sewickley Swim, Wed., Nov. 25

by , November 25th, 2009 at 09:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a nice long drive to Pittsburgh with only moments of sheer brain numbing traffic hell. Better than the usual Thanksgiving debacle getting out of metro DC. Then drove to Sewickley to swim with the Sewickley Masters, coached by speedster Bill White, with whom I shared a lane.

SCY w/Sewickley Masters:

Warm up:

50 EZ (rather than my usual 700)

12 x 50 swim @ :55, reverse IM order
    (I drilled the fly; I can't do fly w/o a proper warm up.)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:00, IM order, no fins

Main sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00, IM order
    (I did the fly, back & free as double shooters w/fins; the others were doing 1/2 of each 25 SDK.)

8 x 50 @ 1:00, IM order
    25 DPS + 25 SDK build to sprint
    (I did the last 25 as a fast shooter)

4 x 100 @ 2:00
    25 SDK, 50 choice EZ, 25 sprint (IM order)

4 x 100 @ 2:00
    assigned: 75 choice, 25 sprint kick (IM order)
    did: 25 shooter on back, 50 back, 25 shooter on back fast

50 EZ

Total: 2700

Commentary:

This was a perfect workout for me after many hours in the car. I was still tired from yesterday's fast kicking, so it was a nice maintenance workout with some hypoxic work, IM work, and a few sprints. Because they only get an hour to practice, SM have a very structured warm up, which of course I'm not used to. I like my leisurely warm ups.

I was able to watch Jimby's SDK efforts from underwater. He has a very nice streamline, but no power coming from the core. There may be some hope. I had him to a few squats on deck, and he somewhat managed them without cantilevering his knees too far over his feet. Saturday I will show him the ropes a bit more.

We adjourned to the coed steam room and whirlpool -- very nice for a Y -- where we discussed myriad things. Among those repeatable were the upcoming suit ban. Jimby is still quite defiant about men not getting equal coverage as women under the FINA committee proposal. He also predicts that my next new event will be the 200 fly -- done all kicking. I told Bill that this was perfectly legal according to Wolfy (as long as you don't violate the 15 meter rule). He was suspicious, but to my knowledge it is legal to kick the entire way in a streamline position. Might be a fun experiment. Much less painful than forcing the poor shoulders to do all that work!

I plan to take tomorrow completely off. I will swim with the Sewickley Masters again on Friday and then with Jimby and BIll on Saturday. Even though this week will be a comparatively easy week without a gym visit, I'm still fairly tired. (Of course, it's only Wed.) I was fretting about possible overtraining and leg fatigue to Mr. Fort. He just scoffed since I have another 2+ weeks to rest. I guess he's likely right ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Swim @ Oak Marr, Nov. 24

by , November 24th, 2009 at 05:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Journeyed to Oak Marr today. Speedo, Jazz and Wally Dicks were there, which made working out more fun. I almost frightened Jazz off (I thought he might actually crawl out of my lane) when I mentioned I was doing the guts of a Chris Stevenson workout. He opted instead to work on narrowing his hand entry in freestyle with whopping big paddles. Speedo had a planned taper workout. And Wally was putting in a big 2200 as part of a taper for the Dolan meet on Dec 6-7.

Here's what Chris' workout was:

Main Set (2400+50/4450)
    12 x 100, 50 free + 50 back
    -- 1-4 on 1:25 (went 1:05s)
    -- 5-8 on 1:20 (1:04-5s)
    -- 9-12 on 1:15 (1:04s)
    8 x 25 flutter kick w/ board on 30 (16-17s)
    30 sec rest
    6 x 100, 50 free + 50 back
    -- 1-2 on 1:20 (1:02s)
    -- 3-4 on 1:15 (1:02s)
    -- 5-6 on 1:10 (1:02s)
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/ board on 30 (16s)
    30 sec rest
    3 x 100, 50 free + 50 back
    -- 1 on 1:15 (1:01)
    -- 1 on 1:10 (1:01)
    -- 1 on 1:05 (1:01)

Here's how I modified/tortured it for sprinter/taper mode:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters

Main set:

6-7 x 100 @ 1:45
    50 free + 50 back, aerobic mode
    (I lost count on these b/c I was blabbing too much with Jazz.)

8 x 25 flutter kick w/board (no fins)
    odds = fast @ :30 (went 16s or so)
    events = easy @ :45
    50 EZ

6 x 100 @ 2:00 w/Fortina & Dolphina, the MF
    #1-5 descend, # 6 cruise
    Went 1:02, :57, :55, :53, high :49.
    extra 30 seconds rest before #5
    50 EZ
    Note: :49 is my fastest time for a 100 MF.

6 x 25 flutter kick w/board (no fins)
    odds = fast (16s+) @ :30
    evens = easy @ :45

3 x 100 backstroke w/fins, broken w/10 seconds rest at 50, no real interval
    50 EZ in between

These didn't go so well. I cramped immediately on the first one after the MF set, and had to battle calf cramps throughout. So my times were slower than what I had hoped. I was tired, so didn't push through the pain as much as I should have. I'm a calf cramp weenie. Likely didn't have enough water in the am either.

Went 27/26, 25/26 (?), 26/27

100 EZ

4 x 25 evil working on long pullouts
    (Intended to do these flutter kicks w/board as well, but not after the cramp set.)

100 EZ

10 minutes hottub

Total: 3450

Commentary:

Did a little more yardage than I intended. But, that's all right, as I'm still pretty far out from the Right Coast Nationals.

Discussed tapering with Wally. He tapers 4 weeks and cuts weights for 6 weeks. I told him I was trying a 3 week taper this time instead of 2 and cutting out gym work 3 weeks out. Since my legs still feel quite tired and I've been hammering the drylands, he thought this was a good idea. As we get older, we need to "listen to our bodies more." Sigh, guess that's right. My body is still tired. I plan to cut kick volume and intensity next week and really start loafing.

Wally and I also discussed the possible/likely loss of the tech suits in mid-Jan. Wally's non-plussed by the situation b/c he didn't like the B70, but he will miss his short john paper suit. He says he is going to enjoy seeing who suffers the most from the loss of tech suits. lol We agreed that, possibly, those swimmers who already know how to kick might not be as adversely effected, the theory being that poor kickers had the B70 float for their legs. On the other hand, the B70 was supposed to help the SDK ... And, as Jimby likes to point out, those of with "dense muscularity" might sink now ...

I'll be swimming with the Sewickley Masters on Wed & Fri. I was a little frightened when I saw their last workout (1000-14:00, 2x500-6:30, 5x200-2:30, 8x100-1:20). But Coach Bill has promised some sprints and SDK work. tomorrow, so that sounds promising. At some point, I will take Bill and Jimby to the gym and show them what constitutes core work. They apparently, for all their accolades, are clueless.

Updated November 24th, 2009 at 07:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Stole Ande's Workout, Monday, Nov. 23

by , November 23rd, 2009 at 05:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I stole and modifed the workout Ande "did" (as opposed to was "assigned") earlier today.

Warm up:

8 x 25 shooters
    odds = back
    evens = belly

Stations/Sets:

5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    descend #1-4 to fast, cruise #5

5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    descend #1-4 to fast, cruise #5

5 x 100 @ 2:00
    #1-4 = 75 free cruise + 5 seconds rest + 25 back AFAP
    #5 = easy

5 x 75 drill-kick-swim @ 1:30
    #1-4
    25 dolphin kick on side
    25 hand lead body dolphin drill
    25 easy speed fly
    #5 = easy

5 x 50 @ 1:00
    #1-4 = 25 easy backstroke kick + 25 AFAP shooter on back

single arm fly drill

100 front scull
    100 EZ
    5 minutes hottub

Total: 3000

Commentary:

After not swimming this weekend, I felt like crap in the pool, like I was swimming through mud. I also still feel tired, especially the legs.

What does this tell me? First, I am stopping hot yoga now. The 50 minutes of standing poses + heat are probably wearing out me and my legs. Perhaps Wolfy is right that my legs are somewhat overtrained. (This means that Geek will have a slight reprieve on his naked 200 fly, since I won't be able to drag Jazz to yoga for awhile.) I need a LOT more rest to swim fast at NE Champs. And I need to be in the water more often during taper. I really need to focus on sleep. The drylands work + sprinting makes me crave sleep.

On the whey protein issue, I realized that both Pure Sport and my balance bars also have whey protein (in isolate form). So I was probably unintentionally overdosing myself on whey.

SwimStud told me to look at the athlete list for NE Champs and saw this listed side by side:

Patriot Masters Swim Team-PV
    Livingston, Leslie - Female - Age: 48 - Ind/Rel: 7 / 0
    #5 Women 100 IM
    #23 Women 50 Free
    #37 Women 100 Back
    #19 Women 50 Back
    #33 Women 50 Fly
    #45 Women 100 Breast
    #49 Women 100 free

San Diego Swim Masters-SI
    Pipes-Neilsen, Karlyn - Female - Age: 47 - Ind/Rel: 8 / 0
    #1 Women 800 Free
    #17 Women 100 Fly
    #25 Women 400 IM
    #47 Women 200 Fly
    #5 Women 100 IM
    #23 Women 50 Free
    #33 Women 50 Fly
    #49 Women 100 Free

http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09Entry.pdf

KPN is not swimming the 50 and 100 back, which might have been fun to go head to head. I noticed another really fast chick, who I was hoping to swim head to head with in the 50 back, absolutely sandbagged all her 50s. No big deal. I'm sure there will be plenty of competition.

Updated November 23rd, 2009 at 08:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Drylandpalooza, Fri., Nov. 20

by , November 20th, 2009 at 08:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had to spend the morning in my lil kid's 3rd grade classroom celebrating, blech, Thanksgiving. Since my kid is also against white mushy bland food, I brought in Subway for us to eat while other were forced to eat that dismal stuff. I think we were the envy of the table.

Afterward, I journeyed to the gym for the last of my big gym sessions, since taper (at least for the legs) starts tomorrow. I was feeling pretty energetic after yesterday's easy swim, so I went a bit dryland crazy. We'll see if I pay for it tomorrow.

Drylands:

Core:

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
    side bends w/45 lb bar, 1 x 25
    superman banana, 1 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 3 x 15
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25

Weights/Core:

Dara yoga ball twist on cable machine, 60 x 2 x 15, each side
    squat X press (from P90X) w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 10 each leg (forgot to do 2nd set)
    overhead squats w/bar, 65 x 3 x 15
    (LOVE these! So great for the core, but take a strong back)
    narrow grip seated row, 70 x 2 x 10 fast
    lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 2 x 8
    trap bar dead lift*, 135 x 2 x 5, 145 x 1 x 5, 155 x 1 x 3, 165 x 1 x 1, 175 x 1 x 1 (PR)

* I decided to use the trap bar that Jazz recommended: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html. I couldn't really tell if it was easier or harder than a regular bar. Might be easier on the back. I also wasn't sure what it weighed, but Jazz thought it was likely 45 lb. I was trying to PR, but regrettably did not bring my gloves. I think I could have lifted a bit more with them. Jazz somehow thinks I could get up to deadlifting 300. WTH?! I don't think I'll be doing that on my next phase of training.

Plyos:

twisting med ball slam, 2 x 25
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10 (jump on, jump off)
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    jump pull ups on box, 3 x 25**

** I decided to try jump pull ups instead of regular pull ups or chin ups so as not to strain my shoulder. They're still pretty hard when you do them in sets of 25 ... Here they are: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/jumping-pull-ups.wmv

Here's a CF discussion about them: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40552&page=2

RC:

ball on wall w/left hand, 4 x 25 w/2 lb med ball
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb weights, 3 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 2 x 15

P90X Ab Ripper:

Went home and did the P90X ab ripper 15 minute DVD. I'm getting my crunchy frog rhythm down.

In case you missed them before, the exercises are:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
    Knee ins
    Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
    Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
    Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
    Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
    V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
    Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
    Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
    Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor

Swim/SCM/Solo:

My little one was off on a sleepover. So after I was done driving teenagers around, I went to the pool and did an LSD recovery swim to loosen up.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Drill set:

6 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = 25 back shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dophin drill
    evens = 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

6 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = 25 side shooter + 25 Chaos lead arm body dolphin drill
    evens = 25 nasty long breaststroke pullout + 25 shooter to 15 meters

100 EZ

Total: 1500 meters

hottub & steamroom

I'm breaking my chard fast tonight and having some champagne for my anniversary later. I think the abstinence during the week and imbibing on the weekend is a good plan for me.

I'm going to stick with taking tomorrow off, even though I know I'll likely have next Thursday off as well. I just hope I don't have trouble finding a place to swim that's open next week. I may have to bring the power wheel to Pittsburgh even though Jimby is skrt of it.

Had a funny conversation with 5 teenagers in the car today heading to their second practice of the day. They were discussing various sets, including their coaches recent obsession with holding 8 seconds off your 100 free PR while going on 100s on a 1:15 interval. Yikes ... I mentioned I did 5 x 75 @ 3:00 yesterday and they all hooted and hollered. Then one of the girls asked me my 50 free time, and that shut them up. Good thing they didn't inquire about that pesky 200 free.

Updated November 21st, 2009 at 11:23 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  13. Sprints w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 19

by , November 19th, 2009 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ OakMarr w/Jazz & Speedo:

Warm up:

700 variety

6 x 25 "good swimmer" drill
    6 x 25 DPS dolphin kick w/fins
    6 x 25 breaststroke pull w/fin grip

Speed Work:

5 x 75 @ 3:00
    25 fast free into fast turn w/fast breakout, cruise the rest. I didn't do descending stroke counts like those two speedsters. I just dolphin kicked fast out of the turns. I wasn't warmed up enough on the first one.

50 EZ

Total: 1575

10-15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

1. As Speedo noted, Oak Marr is not GMU. However, it's still a decent place to practice. Complaints, including 6 emails, have been submitted to GMU facility management. I am not the only one slightly peeved by this! Why, I have never heard Brad Gandee say one nasty word (well, maybe one) and my poor coach has been reduced to running for exercise.

2. Jazz and I were wondering about drills to work on keeping the head down when one breathes in fly. Suggestions anyone? Besides not ever breathing.

3. I feel pretty tired and crappy in the water. Upon reflection, I think it's just that I've been training my ass off the last 4 weeks (in anticipation of submax events and a few wee moments of sprinting) and my body needs a recovery week. This seems to be a pattern with me ... I guess it's good that taper starts next week with the abandonment of all things leg related in the gym. I will miss my plyos though ...

4. I am not sure what to do with hot yoga during tapering ... Tentatively, I plan to go next week and then bag it the 2 weeks before my meet.

5. I'm still not sure whether to taper or just drop upper body weights in a week ... I'll likely do an explosive session at lower weights tomorrow if I feel like my shoulder can take it.

6. Jazz and I are indeed insanely jealous of Speedo's ability to fall instantly asleep at night. We also briefly discussed Jimby's upcoming article in Men's Health on the dark side of ambien.

7. Unlike Geekidissy, I hate Thanksgiving except for the lazy time. He says it's different in the South, but it just seems like a bunch of overcooked mushy food to me. So, I refuse to cook it. I get no mom/wife points for this holiday. The bright side is I will be in Pittsburgh over the holiday, so I will get to drag Jimby to the gym.

8. I want a mistress like Patrick's. Plus, I could use a wife with Mr. Fort being constantly AWOL lately. I'm considering letting my youngest become a wii addict.

9. My left shoulder still bugs me around the shoulder blade and teres area. I will grudgingly continue with the RC and icing tonight.

10. And on other depressing suit news: http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#1taQbb...nds-tech.html/ But I guess it's a good thing we have those extra affordable cheapo $260 jammers around.

Updated November 19th, 2009 at 08:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wednesday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2009 at 06:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters

Aerobic Kick Set:

5 x 200 dolphin kick w/Dolphina, my MF @ 3:00
    2 back, 1 belly, 2 side
    essentially meditative streamlining

50 EZ

Speed Set:

2 x through:

5 x 50 fly @ 1:00
    5 x 50 back @ 1:00
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    5 x 50 free @ 1:00
    :30 extra rest or so after each round

round 1 = swim
    round 2 = kick (except swim evil)

#1-#3 = EZ/good technique (drilled the fly)
    #4 = fast w/fins (except for fly, which was easy speed)
    #5 = EZ

Round 1, I went easy speed fly (29) and then 24, 32, and high 23 on back, breast and free.

Round 2 went high 23, low 24 (jammed turn and cramped) and 32 on evil. I skipped the last 5 x 50 flutter kicks b/c I had cramped so much. I think this was due to dehydration after yoga yesterday. I have to make an affirmative effort to drink more water in the late afternoon and evening and I didn't.

100 EZ

Total: 3950

10 minutes hottub

15 minutes of RC work

Commentary:

I was still pretty tired in the water today, although my 50s were pretty fast. I think my days of vicious doubles are over for now. I was tempted to do more this afternoon, but passed. It seems to take me awhile to recover from the P90X plyo DVD. That pain lingers!

Plan for the rest of the week is:

Thursday: Do P90X ab ripper and swim with Speedo & Jazz
    Friday: weight room + EZ swim
    Saturday: off day or possibly just yoga; 3 week taper begins, no more leg work outside of pool
    Sunday: swim with team

I swam at OakMarr Rec Center today instead of Springhill, as I was in the area. It's not as deep as Springhill, but has a digital clock at one end. It's so much easier to see your approximate times with that than an old fashioned pace clock.

I made 2 SR purchases today. I ordered the book Swimming Anatomy recommended by Cokie Lepinski for dryland training. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736075712/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Swimming Anatomy (9780736075718): Ian McLeod: Books[/ame]

I also bought the P90X plus ab/core 20 minute DVD on ebay: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...s/p90x_plus.do

Updated November 18th, 2009 at 11:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Core + Recovery Swim, Monday, Nov. 16

by , November 16th, 2009 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

This morning I was back and forth from my little one's school, so I didn't have time to hit the gym. So, I did the P90X Core Synergistic Workout (60 minutes) and the Ab Ripper (15 minutes). I was forced to take a break halfway through the first one.

Core Synergistic:

Here are the 20 exercises on the P90X Core Synergistic workout:

I marked the ones I liked best with an *. However, the hardest exercises were the sphinx push ups, prison cell push ups, and the combo plank-chatarunga moves. These would be great exercises, but they're not so much for me with a creaky left shoulder. If you have no shoulder issues, they look fabulous. In general, the workout is pretty good because there are numerous exercises and all the core muscles are worked (mostly simultaneously with complex movements). The downside is that there is some injury potential for those with shoulder or lower back issues. I've seem comments on the internet that it is "very hard." Not so -- there are some tough moments, but it's not overwhelming.

1. Stacked foot/Staggered Hands pushup*: One hand forward one back, one foot on top of the other--do 5 pushups and switch sides until you can't anymore

2. BananaRoll: Start on back with legs and arms extended 6-12 inches off floor-hold for 5, roll onto side hold for 5, roll onto back hold for 5....Keep going!

3. Leaning Crescent Lunges:Lunge forward at 45 degree angle while extending your arm in one straight line with your back leg holding dumbells.

4. Squat run: Squat position with one leg in front, holding dumbells moving your arms back and forth like you are running--switch legs.

5. Sphinx Pushups: Rest on forearms elbows under shoulders. Press up off forearms until arms are straight. Great lat exercise.

6. Bow to Boat*: 5 seconds in bow flip over 5 seconds in Boat, repeat

7. Plank to Chatarunga run: While in plank run your knees in for 10 seconds then go down to a chat positions and do a fast type of crawl while hovering!!

8. Walking Pushups: I did this on the hardwood part of our basement. Get in plank with your toes on a towel and walk with your hands 4 counts forward and back keep repeating for a minute.

9. Superman/Banana:* Alternating Superman and then roll onto your belly for arms and legs off floor position/ Go back and forth

10. Low lateral skaters:* Slowly shifting side to side in a deep lunge while lifting your straight leg at the end of the movement

Lunge and Reach*-With weight in hand reach down to front leg as if you are lifting something off of the floor, then reach up and twist as though you are putting it on a shelf. 30 seconds on each side. This is essentially a easier, lower weight, higher rep version of the twisting squat swing I do with a 25 pound plate.

11. Lunge-Kickback-Curl and Press: 20 reps. Tough total body movement provided you use adequate weight.

12. Reach High and Under Pushups:* Combine standard pushup then a sideplank from sideplank reach under like a pilates twist and repeat. Very tough. Oddly, side planks don't hurt my shoulders as much as regular planks.

13. Prison Cell Pushup:
    From standing bend forward to plank do a pushup bring your right knee in and out, do another pushup, bring left knee in and out do another pushup, do third pushup and jump back to standing.

14. Side hip raise:* Lying on sideresting on forearm. Lift hips up off of the floor and lower them. Do a bunch on each side.

15. Squat X press: Holding weights do plie squats while you are performing a wide shoulder press to that your body forms and X. 30 reps. Pretty easy, would be harder with more weight.

16. Steam Engine: Standing knee to elbow crunches-50 reps

17. Dreya Roll:* From standing squat down, roll onto your back, kick legs straight up in the air, almost like a pilates control balance move, and roll forward coming to standing again. To make it harder, instead of just standing up do either: (1) a squat jump, (2) a split leg jump, (3) jump and twirl.

18. Plank to Chaturanga Iso: Alternate 10 second counts between plank and chat position. Hard

19. Halfback-Agility moves simulating going through football tire drills 60 sec. Easy.

20. Table dip/Leg raise:* Get yourself into a yoga table. Raise one leg in the air keeping hips up, and do tricep dips changing after 5 reps. 60 seconds

Ab Ripper:

Still like this DVD with the exception of the Fifer Scissors. I used my ab wheel and did long arm crunches during these.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only swam for 40 minutes today. Went to the pool late and got kicked out by the high school swim team tryouts. That's OK, my legs were fried, so I just did the following recovery swim:

Warm up:

600 variety

25s:

4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 easy speed fly
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 alternate fast evil & EZ swim
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 easy speed fly
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 shooters

I did belly, back and twirling shooters.

Total: 1700 yards

5 minutes in the hottub.

Commentary:

Didn't feel all that bad after my exercise mania yesterday -- until I hopped in the pool and tried to kick. Thus, I did all the shooters on cruiser speed. I think I'll give the legs a break tomorrow in the pool if I can. I'm tentatively planning on hot yoga and my team practice tomorrow night.
  16. Manic Sunday, Nov. 15

by , November 15th, 2009 at 09:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Swim @ GMU w/team:

Warm up:

500 swim
    200 kick
    500 pull (descend by 100s -- I did these backstroke, no paddles)
    200 IM drill

(I missed about 200 of this)

Vertical Kicking:

20 squat jumps off bottom of pool

med ball toss w/partner, 4 x :30

vertical kicking, 8 x 20 second hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, 20 seconds rest

Main sets:

2 x through:

4 x 75 IM switch @ 1:15
    4 x 50 stroke descend @ 1:00
    4 x 25 kick, alternate fast/EZ @ :30

On the 50s, I did backstroke w/fins on the first set and descended to 25. On the second set, I did backstroke kick and descended to 24. On the kicks, I cruised the first 3 and did a fast shooter on the 4th one. Went a mid 9 on my last one.

6 x 100 @ 1:45
    50 stroke, 50 dolphin kick on back
    I used fins to go faster than aerobic pace and get more rest on these. (Went between :58-1:00 on these.)

100 EZ

Total: 3550 + VK/squat jumps

10 minutes hottub

PM Drylands:

RC Work, 20 minutes

P90X Ab Ripper, 15 minutes

Here are the exercises done:

11 exercises--25 reps of each exercise in this order:
    In and Outs (picture being in boat pose and moving your legs in and out)
    Bicycle-Same as in and outs but with a bicyle movement
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frog- In and outs with your hands out at your sides bringing them in and wrapping your legs close to your chest
    Fifer Scissors-lying on your back one leg hovering over the floor, one up and a 90degree angle both feet flexed and changing them scissor style
    Hip Rock and Raise-sort of reverse crunches
    Pulse-ups/Heels to Heaven-Reverse crunches with straight legs
    V-up roll ups-Similar to a teaser
    Obliques-side lying lifting legs and shoulder up at same time, kind of an oblique crunch
    Leg climbs-lying on back one leg bent, one leg extended rolling up to top
    Mason twist-Oblique twists done VERY quickly with legs raised up off the floor

Overall, it's a pretty tough 15 minutes. It's intended to be done 3x a week back to back with another P90X workout. I definitely didn't think the pace was slow. If you had your hands in the air on the first few exercises, it made them much tougher. I didn't need to do the "climb" in the leg climb -- too easy. The last exercise was a killer. I couldn't do it as fast as they demonstrated. Might take some practice.

P90X Plyo DVD, 60 minutes:

This was my second time through this DVD. It didn't seem quite as tough as the first time. But I had to stop it halfway through to pick up a kid, so maybe that's why. The knee tuck jumps are still the hardest.

PM Swim/Solo/SCM:

I had to take Mini Fort to the gym to swim tonight since she'd miss yet another week of swimming with the oinky-itis. (High school tryouts are tomorrow.) Since I was there, I hopped in and did some hypoxic work with Fortina and Dolphina (Geek's name for my MF).

Warm up:

500 EZ

Hypoxic Work:

16 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :15-20 RI
    8 on belly
    8 on back

I was going slightly faster on my belly if I bent my knees a little more.

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:15
    1 breath at turn only
    5 belly, 5 back

I considered this, for me, to be intermediate rest in a SCM pool.

100 EZ (As I was announcing to Mini-Fort that I was only doing a 100 easy, she said "Well, maybe that's why you're sore the next day, you don't warm down." Had to chuckle after the anti-warm down thread.)

Total: 1500 meters

Grand total: 5050 yards/meters, 2000 kicking

Commentary:

I had no problem getting out of bed to go to my am team practice this time. But I felt rather sloggy through most of it. It occurred to me later that I probably hadn't really recovered from my deep tissue massage from Friday. It usually takes me a few days to recover from those.

I was chatting with my coach briefly about weights. She is in the process of screening resumes for a strength/conditioning coach for the GMU swim teams. She's particularly interested in those with experience in functional strength training and plyometrics training.

It was kind of a lazy day on the home front (though I still have one sick kid), so I slipped in a lot of dryland work between hauling the other 2 here and there.

Oh, and tonight is night one of swearing off chard and pinot for 30 days. We'll see how that goes ... the weekday/weekend plan is also possible. I am also hoping to stay away from my worst enemy, the potato chip.

I think it is an understatement to say that my legs will be sore tomorrow ...

Updated November 16th, 2009 at 08:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Core + MF, Thurs., Nov. 12

by , November 12th, 2009 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Did mostly a core routine today. Jimby, if you're reading, this would be a superior workout for you than the 14 nautilus machine route. And there's virtually no crunches.

broomstick twist, 1 x 25
    good morning darlings, 1 x 50
    bicycles, 1 x 50
    twisting overhead med ball slam (8 lb ball), 2 x 25
    russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    kneeling cable crunch, 80 x 2 x 10
    "Nicole" overhead squats, 45 (bar) x 3 x 15. Since I was doing well on these with the bar, I then did: 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10, 70 x 1 x 10. Yay!
    side bends w/45 lb bar, 2 x 15
    lying bicep curls on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 10
    rack push ups, 2 x 25
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 10
    forward lunges w/25 lb DBs, 2 x 15
    squat swing & twist w/25 lb plate, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

Didn't stretch, drove to pool.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Since I received my new Finis Shooter MF last night, I was thrilled to take it the pool today. I really disliked my longer Trainer MF and haven't used it much since LC season. I was rather out of practice doing flip turns with it though. I'm quite fond of geek's name for the nose clip: Fortina. I think I need something similar for the MF. Anyway, here's what I did:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic Kick w/MF:

4 x (5 x 25 shooter) @ :30
    #1 = belly
    #2 = left side
    #3 = right side
    #4 = back
    #5 = twisting

50 EZ

Main set:

2 x through:

1 x 100 hypoxic backstroke kick w/MF, 1 breath only at turns (went about 1:00 on these, just cruised)

200 drill (50 chest press fly + 50 good swimmer free drill + 50 front scull + 50 dolphin breast in grip fin style)

4 x 50 @ 1:00, good technique
    #1 = fly/back
    #2 = back/breast
    #3 = breast/free
    #4 = free

50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP SDK w/MF
    (went 22 (cramped and missed turn) and 21.5)

100 EZ

Total: 2650

5-10 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

Didn't feel too bad after yesterday's "Kill the Wolf" VK set. It took me a little while to loosen up at the gym, but then I got going.

Tomorrow, I plan to do hot yoga in the am and then I was very lucky to snag a 1:30 massage appt. I think I (especially the legs) could use one. Then (I promise Wolfy) to take Saturday off and let my body "adapt."

Timing of Massage for Taper Meet?

Does anyone have any thoughts on when is the best timing to get a massage before taper meet? I've heard different things. For example, I've heard deep tissue 10 days out and then swedish massage a few days before. I've heard deep tissue 5 days out. What do people think?

Sick, sick, sick

FortSon seems to have relapsed from his seeming piggy flu recovery. He's at the doctor now; I'm worried about pneumonia. Mini Fort seems mostly recovered. She wasn't hit nearly as bad. I'm still waiting for Gillian and me to get hit ... Not sure whether I'd rather get sick and lose a week of training or get sick during taper ... Argh!

Edit:

FortSon has bronchitis and suspected "rebound H1N1." Blech. But no pneumonia.

Taper:

With my meet on Dec. 12-13, a 3 week taper would start Nov. 21. I'm done with running. And, since the weather is so bloody miserable, I'm not even tempted. I'm going to drop all leg work (plyos, weights) 3 weeks out starting Nov. 21. I'm not precisely sure when to drop upper body weights. I know men would drop them 3 weeks out ... I'm not sure for me. I may taper them during week 3 and then drop them totally the last 2 weeks. I will do yoga during week 3, but then drop it 2 weeks out as well. Then I'll do my usual 2 week plan where I drop intensity and kick volume two weeks out and then drop yardage and intensity some more the final week. Any suggestions are welcome!

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 04:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. Sprints + Vertical Kicking, Wed., Nov. 11

by , November 11th, 2009 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY Workout at GMU w/Speedo, Jazz & Wolfy:

PART 1:

Warm up:

(Jazz was in the hottub for much of this. lol)

Pre Sets:

6 x 25 Jazzy "good swimmer drill" @ :40

In this drill, you tap your head on the freestyle recovery before entering the water. This drill is designed to promote high elbows and proper entry. I loved this one. I might incorporate this drill regularly if I actually do some tri relays next year. Straight arm doesn't work so well in OW.

3 x (4 x 25 variables) @ :30
    #1 12.5 fast/12.5 easy
    #2 12.5 easy/12.5 fast
    #3 build
    #4 fast

I didn't do #4 fast, just cruised instead.

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick w/fins @ 1:00
    The girly boys were very lazy on these, though Jazz claimed to go fast on one of these. I missed that. Sheesh, wimpy kickers.

50 EZ

Sprint Set:

8 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 2:30

Previously, Pete and I did these on 3:00. But Wolfy couldn't tolerate our lollygagging ways, so forced us to do them @ 2:30. I did 6 free w/fins and 2 backstroke SDK w/fins. Jazz and Wolfy had some nice races and Speedo looked speedy as usual. Jazzy blatantly taunted the Wolf by putting on a drag suit and pull buoy and challenging him. I'm actually not sure who won that duel. All I know is that Jazz and Wolf are both evil "leave a second early cheaters" and none of the girly men could beat me on the 25s, even when I was kicking, unless they used super fins. (I had forgotten my own fins and used some of Mason's -- they were awful, those floaty Speedo fins that are good for drills, but not speedwork.) I felt pretty draggy on the first couple of 25s, but then sped up. I didn't have that easy speed feel, but I think I was just too sore from the mega dryland yesterday.

100 EZ

Total: 2450

Jazz left at this point, being utterly uninterested in vertical kicking and having done much more yardage than usual.

PART 2:

Kill the Wolf Vertical Kicking Circuit:

2 x through:
    No evil kicking allowed whatsoever
    No fins, except when Wolfy needed them to do or finish the set.

#1 med ball throw:

Paul, Pete and I did the first round for 2:30.
    Wolfy & I did the second round for about 1:30

I wish I had a partner to do this with more often. Very fun and hard work.

#2 5:00 vertical kicking with hands at shoulders

I did the first round dolphin kick and the second round alternating dolphin kick and flutter kick by 1:00 intervals. Wolfy and I agreed that flutter kick was harder b/c you don't recruit the core as much.

Pete did round 1 of these and then had to leave for work. Or was it a hair appt.?

#3 "sprint"

1 x flutter kick in streamline position for as long as you can without mouth going below surface

1 x dolphin kicking same way.

I made about 30 seconds on both of these, but I had a somewhat sloppy streamline. Need to work on this. These "sprint" kicks are great for working on increasing kick tempo. You have to kick really fast and hard to stay above the water.

Wolfy lasted about 2 seconds on the first one. Speedo suggested that underwater film to catch the facial expression could be interesting.

#4 vertical kicking with med ball for 1:00

OMG, this was HARD. We had a 6 pound ball and a 8 pound ball, and we each used one once. The 8 pound ball was much harder and it was hard for me to get through the second round. Quads were burning.

100 EZ

I was very proud of the Wolf for making it through this set! And I was really really glad to have some company for it.

15 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

Part 2 was harder than Part 1. Doh.

As I noted above, I definitely want to add more of the high tempo VK to my routine.

Wolfy was mentioning that he thought I might be overtrained. IDK ... I thought I was just training hard. There are lots of folks swimming, lifting, and doing other forms of cross training just like me. And I am not showing the symptoms of overtraining that I've read about on other threads.

Here's one: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...t=overtraining

Plus, I did have a recovery week before the Sprint Classic and typically take Saturday off, though I didn't the last two.

But we both agreed that I might need a longer taper than my typical 2 week taper. Actually, I think my last taper was really 3 weeks b/c I dropped the leg work early. I think I'll have to go with 3 weeks again b/c I am always beating up on my legs. Or possibly more. I just have to figure out what to cut out, how much and when. I'm sure I'll enjoy the first week of taper and then just f'in hate the last 2 as usual ...

As to my plan to stop heavy lifting after NE Champs, Wolfy commented that lifting heavy 1x a week to maintain strength might not have any real benefit and just confuse the neural system. I still plan on strength training, of course, I'm just going to drop the heavy lifting on the leg press, hi row, bench press, deadlift, etc. for a few months. I need a mental break. This is apparently b/c I am an "ADD" trainer. Hahaha, I just like to mix it up. I'm going to focus on bodyweight work and plyos instead.

SCM Meet in DC:

Nice line up for this meet! Yay, Muppet for organizing a good meet with a good order of events. (Did you hear that guys? )

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1403&smid=1968

Had I known this earlier, not sure I would have booked my Boston flight ... And I still need to get my meet entries in for that meet.

Updated November 11th, 2009 at 07:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Meathead Ignoramus Workout, Tuesday, Nov. 10

by , November 10th, 2009 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Since I hadn't been to the gym in a few days, I made sure to get in a real meathead ignoramus extraordinaire workout today. I suspect I'll be dead later as usual.

Drylands:

HS hi row, warm ups sets, 210 x 1 x 5, 220 x 2 x 5 (PR)
    Dara yoga ball twist on cable machine, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 10 each leg
    lying overhead tricep press, 20 x 1 x 15, 30 x 1 x 15, 40 x 1 x 15
    leg press, warm up sets, 410 x 2 x 10 (PR)
    (this is the max weight on this machine)
    deadlift, 135 x 2 x 8
    push ups, 3 x 25
    body rows, 2 x 15

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25
    good morning darlings, 1 x 50

box jumps on high box, 1 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10

plyo circuit: 3 x through:

30 seconds lateral jumps over bench w/hands on bench (did 45-47 jumps)
    30 seconds rest
    1:00 jumping jills
    30 seconds rest
    30 seconds squat press w/15 lb med ball throwing up and catching it
    30 seconds rest

power wheel:

roll outs, 1 x 15, 1 x 25
    pike ups, 1 x 15

As I was getting ready to do the pike ups, a guy came over and declared the power wheel "an absolute instrument of torture." lol I started a second set of the pike ups, but felt an abdominal
    muscle strain on the left side, so I stopped. This is a very hard exercise if you roll up and out all the way. (Well, FortSon just told me I wasn't supposed to go completely flat ...)

prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each arm
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm

I then trudged into the hot gym pool and did the following very slowly:

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Slow aerobic work:

10 x 25 twirling 4 point shooters

5 x 100 on :20 RI done as 50 backstroke kick/50 back

10 x 25 twirling 4 point shooters

50 dolphin dive

Total: 1650 meters

5 minutes hot tub
    5 minutes steam room

Now, I would love a good massage and an ice bath. Alas, that is not happening, and I fear I will be sore tomorrow. But, unlike Jimby, I will not be weak.

I drank my pure sort workout and recovery drinks during the workout. I was famished after and made my own recovery smoothie with a banana, fresh blackberries, mixed frozen berries, coconut water, mangosteen juice, walnuts, glutamine, flax seed oil and whey protein.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to head to Mason to work out with Speedo, Wolfy and maybe Cage Fighter. Some vertical kicking is on the menu, including vertical kicking with med balls. We may alternate some endurance vertical kicking (as Ande did in one of his circuits recently) with some sprint kicking with the head above water in a streamline position. Wolfy has already announced he will be "moaning." But it will be good for him!

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 06:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  20. Monday, Nov. 9

by , November 9th, 2009 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic/Aerobic Kick:

20 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30
    10 belly, 10 back

50 EZ

Speed Work:

25 AFAP flutter kick w/board + 25 EZ kick

10 x 50 back @ 1:00
    # 3, 6, 9 fast @ 90%
    (went 25, 25, 24.5ish)
    the other 50s EZ
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:10
    # 3, 6, 9 fast dolphin kick w/board & fins (went 26.5-27ish)
    the other 50s EZ
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 fast evil + 25 EZ,
    working on pullouts

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ
    working on breakouts
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x (50 hypoxic w/fins + 50 EZ)
    50 hypoxic done on back as 25 EZ shooter + 25 AFAP shooter)

100 EZ

Total: 4100, 1750 kicking, only 700 fast

Commentary:

Got some decent sleep last night, but my legs were still pretty tired when I woke up today. I still feel like I banked a reasonably high quality sprint workout today with a large percentage of kicking. I made up this workout, and rather like it. I had thought about coming home and doing some power wheel work. But I'm going to save that for tomorrow and force myself to do RC work tonight while watching House.

Child #2 (Mini Fort) has now come down with swine flu.

Tris:

My Savageman relay mates were on line checking the BTB ironman tri results. The swim times were sick fast, between 44 minutes and 1:07. I can only imagine that this is due to a very strong current. Otherwise, I'll get owned big time in that "race."

I am apparently now expected/signed up to do both Savageman and BTB next year. I have warned my relay mates that I am extracting a big travel meet in return for this sacrifice. My running buddy asked how much I was aiming to improve in the Savageman swim leg. I said "one second." This apparently did not go over well. lmao. I've tried to explain to these clowns that I just can't train enough free for these crazy events without shoulder surgery! Indeed, if there's a nice current at BTB, I see no reason to not do part of the race backstroke!

Jimby vs Fort:

I received my USMS mag today and read the "Both Sides of the Lane Line" feature where Jimby and I went mano-a-mano. Mini-Fort said I got "owned" by Jimby, but she appreciates funny and is under the influence of piggy flu. Fort Son agreed with me, but then he likes weights. Jim has already announced on FB that he "crushed" me. Proof's in the pudding though. :-P

Chaos mentioned on FB that, after reading the debate, he had flashbacks to Jane Curtain/Dan Ackroyd. lol

Updated November 9th, 2009 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts