View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Thursday, June 16

by , June 16th, 2011 at 05:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 50 drill
    4 fly
    4 breast w/small paddles (forearm burn)

8 x mini burst 25s

Main Set:

Rich A.'s broken 100s --

4 x (100 AFAP w/fins @ 7:00 + 200 EZ)
    -- :15 rest at 50 and 75
    -- kick last 25 (except breast); used board
    -- serious leg burn with the last 25 kick

#1 fly, 1:22 - 30 = 52 (25/27)
    #2 breast, 1:33 = 1:03 (31/32)
    #3 fly, 1:21 - 30 = 51 (25/26)
    #4 IM, 1:23 - 30 = 53 (25/28)

-- I was extremely saddened that I had to warm down and get out and thus couldn't do any more 100s.
    -- The last couple times I did broken 100s, I was out in 24, so I'm apparently slowing down. I'm blaming it on poor breakouts.
    -- I am at a loss as to how quickly to stroke in evil. If I turn over fast, I don't get my head all the way down underwater between the arms. If I slow down, I feel slow.

Warm down:

8 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = free
    evens = back kick

Total: 2900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Wasn't exceedingly sore from weights today, though I could feel my shoulders were somewhat fatigued on fly. Need to do the Rich A. set more often. Feel like I got some solid speed work in this week; now going to waste it all away on vaca. Not sure if I'll get in a workout tomorrow with my son's graduation and a plane flight. But I shall try.

Jazz will be glad to know I fear that hypertrophy is setting in in the upper body.

Damn fins did a number on my pedicure.

Updated June 16th, 2011 at 06:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Wed., June 15

by , June 15th, 2011 at 08:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    long arm crunches
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 10
    cable twist w/yoga ball, each side -- 45 x 1 x 10, 50 x 1 x 10

HS shoulder press, 70 x 5 x 5 -- Q style
    -- Treaded carefully on these; easier as a I went along.
    squat machine, 220 x 1 x 10, 224 x 2 x 10
    dumbbell row, each arm -- 35 x 1 x 10, 40 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10

-- Went to racquetball court and did 10 minutes of 5-6 different kinds of med ball slams

Swim/SCM/Outside @ Gym:

Warm up:

600 various

Main sets:

24 x 25 drill
    6 of each stroke

10 x 50
    25 easy speed fly w/fins + easy back kick

10 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = 25 scull + 25 overkick free
    evens = 25 torque drill + 25 overkick free

50 EZ

Total: 2250 m

Commentary:

Got in a decent session at the gym. The 2 boxes in my gym had disappeared for a couple weeks to my disgruntlement. So I was very happy to see a new set of boxes appropriate for box jumps and altitude drops!

Just did a recovery swim right at my gym. It was a gorgeous day here in the metro DC area -- perfect to swim slowly outside (except for backstroke of course). There was a speedy college swimmer from UNC there. She did breast with dolphin kick with small paddles, which looked pretty cool; I may need to try that. I let myself sit in the sun for a whole 10 minutes before dashing off for errands. (Thought of Bob and decided that 10 minutes was meditation. )

Updated June 15th, 2011 at 11:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Monday, June 13

by , June 13th, 2011 at 09:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 20
    reverse scoops w/kettleball, 25 x 2 x 15

single arm row, 4 sets of 10 each arm @ 55, 60, 65, 65
    single leg extensions, 4 sets of 10 each leg @ 30
    push press, 50 x 3 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 2 x 10
    bulgarian single leg squats, 30 x 2 x 10 each leg
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

-- Modified a recent Tall Paul Sprint Option

3 x 100 free w/paddles @ 2:30, descend
    1:08, 1:03, :58
    2 x 50 fast kick @ 1:30
    -- did dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- went high 26-27
    -- tried to keep my feet underwater more
    100 EZ
    4 x 50 descend @ 1:30
    -- did breast w/fins
    -- 40, 36, 32, high 30-31
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins & board
    -- did flutter kick
    -- went 27s
    100 EZ

3 x 100 backstroke, cruise @ 2:00
    2 x 50 @ 1:30
    -- 25 fast free w/fins (11s) + 25 DAB
    4 x 25 @ 1:00
    -- burst dolphin kick to 15 m, no fins
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins (11s) @ 1:30
    100 EZ

Warm Down:

8 x 50
    odds = SSR drill
    evens = fly or breast drill

Total: 2700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not sure I got all my drylands. Managed to delete my note on my iphone. Left shoulder is sore. This is probably from the 400 yards of fly yesterday ... No way can I ever really train for the 100 fly with my left shoulder; just have to fake it and dolphin kick. The swim workout seemed way harder than the 2700 yards would suggest! But I felt like I held up pretty well doing two speed workouts in a row. This pool now has 4 digital clocks. I have to remind myself to use them. So much easier to keep track of times with them as opposed to pace clocks.

Just yoga tomorrow.

Updated June 14th, 2011 at 09:31 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  4. Sunday, June 12

by , June 12th, 2011 at 09:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 EZ

10 x 25 shooters

10 x 50 w/paddles @ :50
    odds = free
    evens = kick

Speed Sets:

8 x burst 25s dolphin kick on belly @ 1:00

100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ whatever
    4 kick, 4 swim

8 x 50 fly w/fins @ 100 LC easy speed pace (breathing often) @ 2:00
    -- went 29s
    -- I was having trouble breathing on these. Probably need to start using my asthma medication more regularly given the air quality. Plus, I waited 2 weeks to refill my singulair -- dumb. I hope this improves; hard to do lactate sets otherwise.

50 EZ

8 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins @ 1:00
    odds = easy
    evens = fast (went 27-28)

200 EZ

Total: 3600

Commentary:

Took yesterday off. Spent a chunk of the day having Fort Son fitted for his Felt F4 bike and getting bike gear. He promptly went off on a 65 mile ride with Mr. Fort, who pronounced him a natural.

Made it to the pool today for some speed work. Spent much of the rest of the day at the mall () getting needed items for the vaca -- only 5 days till we leave.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Thursday, June 9

by , June 10th, 2011 at 10:04 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

3 x (4 x 50) w/paddles @ :10-15 RI
    50 scull
    50 SSR drill
    50 torque drill (this is like a prone lat pulldown and, with paddles, is a real power drill)
    50 free

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins on back

6 x 25, 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise

10 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 1:00
    -- best average lactate set
    -- high 27-28, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 28, 28, 28, high 27

200 EZ

Warm down:

3 x (4 x 50)
    4 x reverse IM order drill

Total: 2800

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Was predictably sore from weights, so decided to venture to yoga in the heatwave for the 8:00 pm class. Cruised in right at 8:00 and had to take a spot in the center right next to the instructor. Not may fav spot! He warned us that bikram in the summer was a different experience. Usually it takes 4-5 poses for the heat to hit 105-110, and he tries to keep it at 105. But in the summer with the heat and humidity, the temp is high right from the start. As I was right text to his portable thermostat, I saw it hovering at 109 for most of the class. Still, I did fairly well on all the poses except for my nemesis "standing head to knee."

Commentary:

I was too sore from weight to do too much in the pool today. My schedule is a bit off with my Mom in town visiting. I prefer a lift + immediate sprint swim on the same day before the soreness hits + next recovery swim or yoga. But this hasn't worked out lately.

The 10 x 50 best average was killer after yesterday's mega squats. Legs were like dead weights the last 10-15 yards of each 50. I almost abandoned the set after 2 50s. But I had visions of Jim Corbeau saying "HTFU, Nancy," Geek saying "the pain will be over quickly," and Ande telling people to "try harder" on kick sets. Thanks for the support! So I carried on and even improved as the set progressed. No idea how Chris can do 32-40 x 50 best average!

I'm still having some trouble with hypoxic work or any breath control on free. I think it's the combo of allergies and poor air quality.

Though I'm still somewhat sore, I'm going to lift with Jazz today. No lunges after bikram!

How much sleep do we need?

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...we-really-need

Updated June 10th, 2011 at 11:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  6. Wed., June 8

by , June 8th, 2011 at 09:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    chin ups, 4 x 4
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    power squats, 140 x 1 x 10, 160 x 2 x 10, 180 x 1 x 10, 200 x 1 x 10
    hip hinges, 30 x 2 x 10, each leg
    push press, 50 x 2 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    -- Went too low on the last one and dropped the bar behind my head. First thought: oh no, my shoulder. But it seems to be fine. Going to ice tonight though.

20 minutes foam roller & stretching
    -- I can really tell that I have been negligent about stretching lately.

Reflections on last year of drylands:

I haven't reviewed my blog yet, but these are the off the top of my head thoughts:

1. Did a lot more plyos than in previous years -- plyos good. I want a plyo box for my birthday. The scoundrels at my gym have hidden them away.
    2. Did a lot of leg work -- good. My kicking seemed better than ever this season, especially considering the loss of the tech suits.
    3. Stopped doing dead lifts except on a rare occasion for some unknown reason -- probably not good. If I had to guess why, I'd say it's likely because I keep forgetting to bring my gloves to the gym.
    4. Didn't do as much upper body work. I seemed to be obsessed with lower body work most of the year for short course/SDKs. -- probably bad idea for a sprinter. I certainly seem to have less upper body strength at the moment, though not substantially so with the exception of chins & pull ups. Probably did enough lat pull downs to maintain.
    5. I never periodize lifting. Though enough random lifting of the same types or groups of lifts could have the same net effect.
    6. I seem to be recovering more slowly from lifting than in previous years. Though I could just have forgotten how much I whined then.
    7. After ingesting amino acids at all the correct times for a month, I detect no discernible difference in recovery speed. Not sure how quickly one feels the effect from AAs ... might take longer.
    8. I am considering switching to fewer exercises and more sets just to shake things up a bit.
    9. Bikram seems incredibly unappealing when it's 100 degrees outside.
    10. Thoughts anyone?

I was hoping to go to Rockville tomorrow again, but if the heat wave is still here I may opt to swim inside.

Very proud that Fort Son's lightweight 4 was All Met (Metro DC) "Best Boat." He's going to learn to scull this summer and row with a couple buddies. College coaches seem to advise no competitive rowing over the summer to avoid burnout during the school year, when they train year round.

Updated June 9th, 2011 at 04:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Retry, Swim w/my Ilk, Tuesday, June 7

by , June 7th, 2011 at 09:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM @ Rockville:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 50
    odds = 25 drill + 25 swim
    evens = 25 kick + 25 swim

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

10 x 50 back kick
    odds = fast 25 SDK + 25 easy kick
    evens = easy 25 SDK + 25 fast kick

4 x through tempo swim:
    2 x 50 back
    1 x 100 back

100 EZ

2 x (fast 50 fly + easy 50)
    1 x (50 fly @ 100 pace & 100 breathing + 50 EZ)

Total: 2800 m

Commentary:

Journeyed to MD again today. This time to the outdoor LCM pool in Rockville MD (only 25 minutes). Met up with Julie Roddin and Susan Williams. Julie brought me Luna bars. Julie swam with Susan and I during warm up, and then wisely ditched us for her Bay buddies who seem like they can swim forever. I swam the main sets with Susan who, as many may know, has mad skillz at back and SDK. Wow, pretty cool swimming with someone my own kind and my own speed! Susan loves the alpha fins. I keep forgetting that I own these and should probably try them for swimming (not kicking). There was no pace clock. Susan and I took a fair bit of rest on the main sets (chatting involved, of course). I suck at long course, so I'm feeling pretty tired after that effort.

I pulled my blog a couple days ago after all the nastiness and moral superiority (gag) on the sandbag thread. I personally don't care whether swimmers manipulate their seed times for any reason, and pass no judgment. I do love our wild west forum with it's debate & trash talking (though no will ever win an argument with an anti-sandbagger even if the facts are in their favor!). But I don't need to be called an immoral cheater by the likes of Stillwater. And having spoken to more women on FB, they feel the same way I do about mixed gender meets. What a shocker! Friends persuaded me to take my blog (always bereft of that crap) off invisible. Hopefully, everyone can stick to making fun of my workouts or my fins or my height or whatever else you can think of!

Updated June 8th, 2011 at 09:59 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Swim w/my Ilk, Tuesday, June 7

by , June 7th, 2011 at 05:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM @ Rockville:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 50
    odds = 25 drill + 25 swim
    evens = 25 kick + 25 swim

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

10 x 50 back kick
    odds = fast SDK to 25 + 25 easy kick
    evens = easy SDK to 25 + 25 fast kick

4 x through tempo swim:
    2 x 50 back
    1 x 100 back

100 EZ

2 x (fast 50 fly + easy 50)
    1 x (50 fly @ 100 pace & 100 breathing + 50 EZ

Total: 2800 m

Commentary:

Journeyed to MD again today. This time to the outdoor LCM pool in Rockville MD (only 25 minutes). Met up with Julie Roddin and Susan Williams. Julie brought me Luna bars. Julie swam with Susan and I during warm up, and then wisely ditched us for her Bay buddies who seem like they can swim forever. I swam the main sets with Susan who, as many may know, has mad skillz at back and SDK. Wow, pretty cool swimming with someone my own kind and my own speed! Susan loves the alpha fins. I keep forgetting that I own these and should probably try them for swimming (not kicking). There was no pace clock. Susan and I took a fair bit of rest on the main sets. I suck at long course, so I'm feeling pretty tired after that.

I pulled my blog a couple days ago after all the nastiness and moral superiority posturing on the sandbag thread. I personally don't care whether swimmers manipulate their seed times for any reason. And I do love a fiesty forum with a lot of debate. But I don't need to be called an immoral cheater by the likes of Stillwater, et al. And having spoken to more women on FB, they feel the same way I do about mixed gender meets. What a shocker! Friends persuaded me to take my blog (always bereft of that crap) off invisible. Hopefully, everyone can stick to making fun of my workouts or my fins or my height or whatever else you can think of.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday, June 6

by , June 6th, 2011 at 04:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

850 various

Main Sets:

20 x 50
    5 free w/paddles @ :50
    5 backstroke kick @ :50
    5 breast pull @ 1:00
    5 free kick @ 1:00
    -- tried snorkel. just not the toy for me.

20 x 25
    5 back/5 belly/5 twirling/5 back

10 x 50 @ :15 RI
    SSR drill
    25 left side/25 right side

6 x 25 w/parachute
    odds = shooter on back
    evens burst 12.5 + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Commentary:

Still sore from lifting with Jazzy last Friday, especially the biceps and pecs. Just did a recovery workout. Wasn't feeling inspired today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. LCM Again, Sat., June 4

by , June 4th, 2011 at 04:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Terrapin Masters @ U of Md:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    (missed 100 of this as I warm up more slowly than a snail)

4 x 150 @ 2:30
    25 EZ + 100 build + 25 EZ
    -- Can't say I really did the build part. I was still getting over LC feeling like open water again.

"Sprint" Option:

3 x (10 x 50) @ 1:10

Assigned:
    1 = EZ
    2-3 = 85%
    4-5 = EZ
    6-7 = 95%
    8-9 = WZ
    10 = 100%

first 10 = free
    second 10 = non-free
    third 10 = choice (and used 1:15 interval)
    --couple minutes rest between sets

Had to modify because, unlike my speedy lane mate Mollie, that interval is far too difficult for a wimpy sprinters like me to attempt without my stroke completely falling apart. But still loved the set -- did some fast 50s interspersed with recovery 50s. Used fins. Backstroke kick with fins is my fav recovery option -- air.

First 10: #3, 6, and 9 were fast free, fly and back. Not sure of my times on these as I was looking at the unsychronized clocks.
    Second 10: #3, 6, 8 and 10 were fast. 2 back and 2 back kick, went 32-33ish, I think.
    Third 10: #4 and 8 were fast. Fly (29) and breast (34).

I'm not sure what % effort level to give to my fast swims today. Maybe 90-95%. I felt like I was pacing my last 50 fly so as not to die big time.

300 social kick w/Mollie & Julie

8 x 50 free @ 1:10
    #1-2 - 4 breaths
    #3-4 - 3 breaths
    #5-6 - 2 breaths
    #7-8 - 1 breaths

I did the first 4 50s with 4 breaths and then just resorted to slow recovery swimming. My breath control for free sucks and sucks worse in long course. Perhaps something I need to work on.

Total: 3300 m

Commentary:

Left Lil Fort's last soccer game a bit early this am to head over to U of Md to swim with the Terrapins, who were very welcoming. I was thrilled that it only took me 30 minutes to travel there; it's another state after all. It was also impressive that they had a sprint and distance option -- not common among masters teams. Though Mollie and I were the only takers on the sprint set. Was also very happy to see baby Rachel Roddin up close; she's tiny and adorable!

My shoulders are pretty sore from all the jazzy pulling and pressing yesterday and my quads and shins are burning from the jumping. I am totally looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Though I shouldn't complain as Mr. Fort ran 10 miles this afternoon. Almost time for Prom!

Updated June 4th, 2011 at 05:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Sick of Myself, Thursday, June 2

by , June 2nd, 2011 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition:

12 x 50s @ :10 RI
    odds = Chris' SSR (same side rotation) drill (very cool)
    evens = fly drill

6 x 25 shooters @ :35
    6 x 25 burst dolphin kick @ 1:00
    6 x 25 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00
    odds = fast
    evens = easy
    6 x "25s" -- dolphin kick down to bottom and squat jump up with fast dolphin kicks

100 EZ

Modified Tall Paul Set:

1 x 50 fly @ 1:00, 1 x 100 easy @ 2:00
    1 x 50 fly, 1 x 50 back, 1 x 100 easy
    1 x 50 fly, 1 x 50 back, 1 x 50 breast, 1 x 100 easy
    1 x 50 fly, 1 x 50 back, 1 x 50 breast, 1 x 50 free, 1 x 100 easy

-- Did all 50s @ 1:00 and used fins. The last 50 in each sequence was @ 95%. So I did a fast 50 of each stroke (went 25, 25, 32, 25).

Warm down:

4 x 150 w/paddles @ 2:30
    50 free, 50 kick, 50 scull

50 easy

Total: 2950

Commentary:

I'm sick of myself. I am apparently boring company because I am tired of training solo all the time. I know ... I should "HTFU, Nancy." But I find it is difficult to HTFU 24/7. This could, of course, reflect poor character. But I prefer to blame it on sprinter ADD.

In trying to break out of this grind, I am lifting with Jazzy "Skinny Bastard" Goldman tomorrow at his gym, swimming with new mommy Julie next Tuesday, and trying to get to a Terrapin practice this Saturday or next week. Julie will be doing 3 x 2000 and I will be doing 50 flys @ 5:00 or so. Susan Williams may join us as well. And I have it on good authority that the Terrapins will let me modify their practices if I am a good lanemate. Which I am!

The next 2+ weeks will be nutso crazy with prom, graduation, summer league, mom visiting etc. Getting excited about the vacation (Malta, Corsica, Rome, Naples, Portofino, Palermo, Nice & Eze, Barcelona). But I am worried about the loss of conditioning.

Attached is a pic of Fort Son celebrating qualifying for finals. He wants a road bike for graduation, and, after discussions, we will probably get him a Felt F4. Should last for years.

Updated June 2nd, 2011 at 05:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47a1db10b3127cce985481e6343000000035100AZMW7Nq4asWUA.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	6650  
  12. Wed., June 1

by , June 1st, 2011 at 04:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

4 x 100 back kick @ 2:20
    25 flat kick (arms at sides)
    25 nubbers (arms at side, rotating side to side)
    50 BAE (kick with bottom arm extended, 25 right side, 25 left side)

8 x 50 single arm backstroke @ 1:05
    25 left arm, 25 right arm

12 x 50 backstroke @ 1:05
    cruise, focus on DPS
    8 SDKs per length/7-8 strokes first 25/8-9 strokes 2nd 25

4 x 100 fly kick @ :15-20 RI
    50 flat kick (arms at side)
    25 left side
    25 right side

8 x 50 single arm fly @ :15-:20
    25 left arm, 25 right arm

6 x 50 (only set for which I used fins)
    25 easy speed DPS fly + 25 EZ

100 easy

Total: 3300

Commentary:

Did a pure recovery workout today. Swiped and modified one of Chris' sets from this am and used it for back and fly.

Got more blood work back. My T4 is still slightly low, but my T3 is now too high. It's so difficult to get thyroid levels properly adjusted. The high T3 probably accounts for my occasionally elevated heart rate (even when just cruising in the water), constant hunger, and absolute heat intolerance. And perhaps this is why bikram has seemed so difficult lately. All other levels are normal now except for my RBC magnesium, which is still low. Work in progress ... One HUGE bonus of having a functioning thyroid gland is that I do not seem to be particularly gluten or lactose intolerant anymore.

Summer swim practices start today! And I have a Referee clinic scheduled for tomorrow night. I really have no interest in being a referee (perfectly content to S&T), but our team is in dire need of more Refs. And since I try not to make a habit of being a selfish b*tch, I let myself be persuaded to attend.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tuesday, May 31

by , May 31st, 2011 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

10 x 25 shooters

Main Sets:

6 x burst 25s @ 1:00

2 x (75 fast fly w/fins + 125 easy)
    -- Went 41, 40
    -- Didn't feel good. Shoulders tired and perhaps not warmed up enough
    -- Worried about my 100 fly at Auburn; this is not a sprint event for me in LC. Well, not in SC either really.

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 easy)
    50 breast, 31
    50 back shooter, 22
    50 breast, high 30-31
    50 back kick, no fins, high 32

6 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 easy)
    3 dolphin kick w/board (12s), 3 flutter kick w/board (high 11-mid 12)

100 EZ

Total: 2300

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Forgot to use my inhaler before; that was a mistake. The humidity seemed even worse than usual with the heat at 95 or so today. The air condition broke down in my teen's high school, and they were sent home at 11:15.

Commentary:

My shoulders were somewhat tired from the 5K yesterday. But I wanted to do some sprinting anyway.

I entered Auburn Nationals today:

50 breast, 41.3 (6th event)
    100 fly, 1:15.00
    50 fly 30.70
    50 back, 32.70
    100 back, 1:13.48
    50 free, 29.50

I entered all my 50s .5 faster than last summer. I entered the 100 fly @ 1:15. This is 2.5 off my best time, but without my B70, walls and long course training, I'll be surprised if I go that fast and manage not to DQ the last 10 meters. When I looked up my times, the prompt said I "should enter" my fastest time, but I declined as that is not at all what I think I will go. I entered the 100 back in a B70 time from 2008. This is likely too ambitious (and under the WR, I see now, hmm), but I sometimes underestimate myself and I don't think it matters all that much if I go a bit faster or slower in my particular heat. Hopefully, I won't be called an evil reverse sandbagger. I don't need any more intense negativity.

Updated May 31st, 2011 at 11:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  14. Girls 5K, Monday, May 30

by , May 30th, 2011 at 05:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Girls Virtual Holiday 5K: SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

60 x 50:

10 x 50 drill @ 1:00
    10 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    10 x 50 @ 1:00
    -- 25 shooter + 25 build backstroke kick
    10 x 50 @ 1:00
    -- 25 easy speed fly + 25 easy
    10 x 50 @ 1:30
    -- 25 fast + 25 easy
    -- 6 swim, 4 kicks fast
    10 x 50
    odds = back w/paddles @ :50
    evens = scull w/paddles

50 EZ

Kick Mountain w/fins:

-- up the mountain with board, down the mountain backstroke kick

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

100 EZ

Total: 5050

Commentary:

Had a great weekend. Spent Friday night and Saturday in NJ for HS Nationals. Very exciting! Fort Son's boat got 4th and they were very pleased. Spent Sunday at home with a house full of relatives. Unfortunately, the AC went on the blink last night and it was hot as an oven in the house. Not the best sleeping conditions. Fortunately, it's fixed now, especially since we're having a real heat wave. Didn't do any training yesterday either -- decided to take 2 days off to recover. Got to the pool today for our forum Virtual Girls Holiday 5K. I was really happy the pool temp was back to normal. Still feel pretty sloggish in the water though.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. I Rock At Butt Dives, Friday, May 27

by , May 27th, 2011 at 05:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

5 x (4 x 50 w/paddles) @ :15
    50 swim/50 kick/50 scull/50 under-over

50 EZ

Playtime:

5 x:
    broad jump off side of pool
    squat jump off bottom, kicking hard to top
    1:00 vertical evil kick

5 x:

#1 = butt dive into pool + 1:00 vertical scull + back flip and dolphin to wall UW
    -- this scull is not so easy if you keep your feet entirely out of the water
    -- on salo's butt dives: http://ht.ly/50ELe
    -- as an ex gymnast, I rock at butt dives.

#2 = dive off side, burst dolphin kick, cruise back
    -- 12 kicks to 14-14.5 meters

3 x (4 x 50)
    4 torque drills w/paddles
    4 dive with kick board to half way and sprint flutter kick to wall + 25 cruise
    4 backstroke spin drill + cruise + 25 shooter on back

100 EZ

Total: 2550 + VK + scull

Commentary:

Today, I headed to Oak Marr and a hopefully cooler pool only to find it closed. Grr. Made the long trafficy trek back to SpringHill and it was still pretty warm so I just did some speed drills.

During warm up today, I wondered if perhaps I should have just packed it in this summer and "gone fishing" like Speedo. I'm frustrated with the pool situation. But that thought only lasted a nanosecond as I want to be in good shape for the fall season. I have a few options for long course swims on the weekends: Both DCAC and Curl have a drop in Sunday practice @ 9:00 or 9:30 and the Terrapins have a Saturday practice @ 10:30. Hopefully, although none are convenient at all, I can get to a few of these.

Leaving to drive to NJ for Nationals in a couple hours. I'm bummed I missed Mini Fort's race b/c they missed making the semi finals. But they're a young boat and will have other chances either as a 4 or lightweight 8 next year. Fort Son's boat advanced easily to the semi finals.

Still feeling sore, so actually looking forward to a day off.

Updated May 27th, 2011 at 05:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Not on the Yacht Today, Thurs., May 26

by , May 26th, 2011 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    hanging straight leg raises, 3 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    push press, 50 x 3 x 10
    (no problem bumping it up but couldn't do 15 reps)
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    single leg extensions, 35 x 2 x 8, each leg
    seated narrow grip row negatives, 90 x 2 x 8
    knee tuck jumps, 10

-- Hamstrings sore, stayed away from squats.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

4 x (3 x 50) w/paddles @ 10-15 RI
    swim, kick, scull

10 x 25 shooters
    odds = back
    evens = belly

Main Sets:

Was planning on doing one of Chris Stevenson's recent sets. But my sore hamstrings and tired upper body we're having any of it. Modified it to a kick + fin set.

3 x 75 dolphin kick (2 cruise, 1 fast)
    1 x 75 easy
    3 x 75 back kick (2 cruise, 1 fast)
    1 x 75 easy
    3 x 75 flutter kick w/board (2 cruise, 1 fast)
    1 x 75 easy

The "fast" ones were beyond pathetic for me. At this point, I abandoned any notion of getting a decent workout in. Tried some speed drills (200), but these were likewise ineffectual. So rather than do garbage yards, I packed it in, did a 500 easy and left.

Total: 2650

Commentary:

Not sure why I felt so crappy in the water today. But I suspect this is one of those weights temporarily killing the swimming instances. I've done 3 dryland workouts in 4 days -- likely too much for me -- with a lot of upper body work (damn pull ups!). My body staged a protest. For me, it's no use to HTFU when that happens, unless I'm swimming with my team.

It didn't help that I had to get up early this am, pretend to search my children's luggage for drugs/PEDs and deliver the bags to school to be re-searched by other parents.* Nor did the pool temperature help. It's been 2+ weeks that I've been melting in this pool. Usually, the pool temp is 83; it felt like 85. I mentioned this to one the pool instructors. He did a digital reading and it was, in fact, almost 85. So I complained (as nicely as possible) on the way out. Fortunately, the pool manager was at the front desk and said he was aware of the problem and that they would fix it. I hope so! For me, the difference between 83 and 85 is huge. It's one thing to compete in water that may be too warm, but I just can't work out hard in it. So I will now draw Patrick's and Geek's ire for complaining while on the yacht.

I really could use a day off tomorrow or a massage. Ain't happening though. I've got to get in a workout tomorrow as I will be taking Saturday off for the Regatta in NJ.

* Funny crew story. Last week at the Stotesbury Regatta, every boat on a high school team -- Yorktown from Arlington -- was disqualified when the coach (not the kids) was caught with pot.

Updated May 26th, 2011 at 09:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Tuesday, May 24

by , May 24th, 2011 at 10:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 3 x 50
    HS iso lateral hi row, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 2 x 10, 140 x 2 x 10
    alternating lunges w/bar, 2 x 15
    leg press, 310 x 2 x 15
    rear delt fly, 70 x 2 x 10
    lower back machine, 130 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Main Sets:

16 x 50 drill @ 15 RI
    4 each stroke, IM order

25s no fins no interval:

8 x 25
    odds = back shooter
    evens = breast kick (take that Jim Rude!)

8 x 25
    odds = free w/closed fist & overkick
    evens = breast kick

8 x 25
    odds = glide drill
    evens = breast kick

4 x 150 w/paddles
    50 free + 50 back kick + 50 scull

Total: 2650

Commentary:

The insides of my elbows are sore from the pull ups yesterday. A new sore spot for me! Is this typical?

After weights today, I just did a short recovery/technique swim. Was going to go to yoga, but somehow I feel I need to be in the water more for LC.

Really liked Chris Stevenson's main set from today. I may rip of and adapt that for later this week.

Results from Canadian Nationals:

http://www.camonatation.org/resultat...index_us.html#

Updated May 26th, 2011 at 04:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. Monday, May 23

by , May 23rd, 2011 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Transition:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = IM order drills
    evens = 25 shooter + 25 EZ

6 x burst 25s @ 1:00

25 EZ

Main Sets:

4 x through, 50s @ 1:30

50 @ 60%
    50 @ 70%
    50 @ 80%
    50 @ 90%
    100 EZ

3 sets backstroke with only 3 SDK per length
    1 set free with paddles
    -- Wanted to try to increase speed without spinning and focus on a strong stroke. Was naturally slower than usual without the SDKs.

50 EZ

5 x 100 kick @ 1:45
    1st = fast first 25
    2nd = fast second 25
    3rd = fast third 25
    4th = fast fourth 25
    5th = easy

5 x 50 kick w/fins @ 1:00
    25 fast dolphin kick + 25 easy

125 EZ

Total: 3700

Drylands:

-- Just did some stuff at home with Lil Fort hanging about.

pull up pyramids, 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 & 1-2-3-2-1
    (I just suck at these)
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 10
    TRX sprinter starts, 20
    TRX knee ins, 15
    overhead med balls slams, 2 x 10

Commentary:

None really. Though I am glad to have now gotten some speed work in my last 3 practices.

Study on drylands with Jazzy commentary:

http://www.teamunify.com/cseksc/__do...TED-%20AND.pdf.

Jimby needs to read this one, I think. One of the most interesting things about this study is the graph for sprint performance in the dryland group. There is no change in speed at 6 weeks, and then a huge drop at 12 weeks. By contrast, the resist/assist group has a gradual increase in speed. Different mechanisms? It's a shame they didn't measure hypertrophy, because that's what I would suspect in the dryland group. Every study on strength training that does include hypertrophy has some delay until anything shows up. This makes intuitive sense: muscle building is a costly physical process, and it happens slowly.

On Salo's "butt dives":

http://ht.ly/50ELe

Updated May 23rd, 2011 at 10:37 PM by The Fortress

Tags: informative
    Categories
  19. Sunday, May 22

by , May 22nd, 2011 at 07:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    10 back, 10 belly

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x burst 25s @ 1:00
    odds = dive from side and power dolphin kick
    evens = back stroke + power kick
    -- Had the crappy silicone nose clips in my bag and lost them on every start. My start feels odd lately; I'm not getting into the water cleanly.

50 EZ

8 x (25 fast w/fins + 25 easy) @ 3:00
    5 swim, 3 kick

50 EZ

3 x (75 fast kick + 75 easy) @ 4:00

Aerobic/Recovery:

6 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

8 x 25
    odds = breast kick
    evens = PLD

Total: 3200

Commentary:

Had to take yesterday off, but got back in the water today. The water was fairly hot again, , which is not conducive to aerobic work. I'm going to try Oak Marr tomorrow to see if it's any better.

Had a fabulous time in Philly at the Stotesbury Regatta with a glorious day for racing. Definitely made the right decision to go to this event instead of CNs. My kids' high school did exceedingly well and was one of the only public high schools making finals -- rowing is dominated by prep/private schools with a longstanding rowing tradition. In fact, this was the first time in the school history (only 9 years now) that a first varsity boat made grand finals at this race -- the biggest HS race in the nation. Happily, one of those boats was Fort Son's, whose lightweight 4 finished 5th and qualified for Nationals. His boat was beat by two Canadian teams, so they may fare even better at Nationals next weekend. This was exceedingly gratifying to him and our family since he and his boat mates had been stuck in a mediocre heavyweight boat half the year. Mini Fort's lightweight 4 boat did not advance past semis (very young boat), but petitioned to get into Nationals and did. Mr. Fort and I got to stay with friends whose son is also rowing on the lightweight team at Dartmouth next year, and our sons are going to try to room together. All in all a great weekend!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Friday, May 20

by , May 20th, 2011 at 03:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM/Solo @ GMU:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim/drill
    evens = build kick

8 x 15-20 burst sprint + 30-35 easy @ 1:15
    4 dolphin kick, 2 free, 2 back spin drill

50 EZ

Speed Set:

6 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 4:00
    50 fly, 28
    50 fly, 28 high
    50 breast, 34
    50 free, 27 high (forgot about legs until halfway through)
    50 back, 30
    50 dolphin kick w/board, 29 (faded at end or would have been a 28)

Warm down:

5 x 100 @ 2:00
    various swim, kick, pull

Total: 2850

Commentary:

Managed to sneak out around noon for a swim at GMU. Last LC swim before the pool closes. After being out of the pool for 3 days, it was probably not the best idea to do a sprint set. But I hadn't done one in ages and was determined. Not unexpectedly, my strokes felt choppy and felt like I was spinning my arms. But, then, I haven't done much speed work lately and I think I could use some DPS + gradually add speed work.

Slightly puzzled that my dolphin kick with a board is almost as fast as fly. Maybe my isolated kick is more effective than my stroke kick?

Leaving in a couple hours for the Stotesbury Regatta. Both Fort Son's and Mini Fort's boards advanced to the semi-finals this am. And the weather is supposed to be fabulous!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts