The FAF AFAP Digest

My USMS Page:
http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
My team:
Rockwall Aquatic Masters ("RAM")

1. Fri-Sat May 7-8

by , May 7th, 2016 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Friday: Swim/LCM @ Pitt

Warm up:

400 various
    6 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ

Main sets:

6 x
    50 @ 100ish pace
    50 EZ

8 x 50 kick @ 1:30 (supposed to be EZ-fast, but I just did them)
    50 EZ

3 x 200 of weird stuff
    50 EZ

8 x 30
    breaststroke pullouts, working on tight core

Total: 2850 m

Saturday: Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Main sets:

4 x 25 burst SDK + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

6 x 30 burst to 15m from blocks, cruise back
    50 EZ

3 x 30 backstroke start @ 100 pace to 25m, cruise back
    100 EZ

10 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- extra 50 EZ after #4 and #10

5 x 50 DPS free w/paddles @ 1:10
    100 EZ

Total: 2800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My practice at Pitt on Friday was miserable. I was coughing and cramping the whole time. It was basically garbage yards. I seem to have more problems at Pitt than other pools. I had thought it was the cold water, but I am wondering if it could be the mold. There is water damage on the ceiling. In fact, a whole chunk of the ceiling fell out last year. So there has to be mold on the ceiling, in the air and in the ventilation system. Idk.

I had a better practice today. I've been doing a lot of 100 pace work this week, so decided to do some short speed work today. I was a bit tired from last night's practice and was a tick slow on my AFAP 25s.

Still having trouble with allergies and asthma and my ears hurt. I fear this will prolly carry on for awhile. Canadian nationals starts in 13 days. Another countdown ...

100 breast video from nationals: (lane 6)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-3T...ature=youtu.be

Updated May 8th, 2016 at 06:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Tues-Thur May 3-5

by , May 5th, 2016 at 08:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Tuesday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Don't remember exactly what I did anymore but the main sets were:

8 rounds:
    4 x 25 IM order @ :30
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:30-2:00

10 x 25 AFAP futter kck @ 1:00

Total: 3100

Wed: off

Thursday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ LA Fitness

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull

Main sets:

8 x 50 burst + cruise
    100 EZ

20 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :25 rest
    -- done as 4 x 5 x 25 M order
    200 EZ

20 x 25 breast @ 100 pace @ :25 rest
    200 EZ

20 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :25 rest
    -- done as 4 x 5 x 25 IM order
    200 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was bummed that the pace clock at LA Fitness was broken again. I just counted to 25 myself between 25s on the 100 pace stuff. I used fins during the 100 pace stuff today. My left shoulder is bothering me. I sleep on my left side and have very fitful sleep as of late. Still coughing and ears hurt too. Hopefully, this will all subside.

Updated May 5th, 2016 at 08:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Nationals & Monday workout

by , May 2nd, 2016 at 05:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    We made it home from nationals safe and sound -- after a bit of a harrowing drive in the midst of hail and a tornado watch. The best part of nationals for me was hanging out with great swim friends and my RAM team. And I love the spectating at nationals -- got to see so many great races and was really happy for my friends and fellow bloggers that kicked ass. My coach and friend Bill White, who hadn't competed in SCY since 2002, swam out of his mind. Hopefully, we can persuade him to come to more USMS meets! And my Jimby was very happy to grab a well paced win in the 500 free. Of course, it was great hanging out with Stewart and Mark and I finally got to meet Mr. Unruh (who also swam out of his mind).

For various reasons, this was an extremely challenging meet for me. I had felt pretty good a couple days before leaving. But whatever was blooming in NC did not agree with me and I had a bad allergy/asthma flare starting Friday afternoon. Lot of hacking and not enough oxygen to power the SDKs. Hindsight is 20/20 of course. But I was probably pushing the envelope to have competed in the meet. And so it was a mixed bag.

Friday:

50 back, 1st, 27.7

I did two starts with the backstroke ledge in warm up, and they seemed fine. But at race time, I fumbled around with the ledge and couldn't seem to get it in the right place. It ended up being a little lower than I would have liked. Then the starter held us for a long time and my arms were shaking. I was a little deep on the start, but it was solid. But then I had a glide into the turn. I was just happy to get the win. And anytime you beat the speedy Susan Williams that is saying something.

Mixed 200 free relay (can't remember our time), 24.7 split

I didn't execute this very well either. I jammed the turn and went off the wall way too deep. I had trouble breathing after the race and it seemed to precipitate a 5-6 hour coughing spree.

Saturday:

Started off the day by tearing a hole in a new tech suit that I had only worn once at the Albatross meet ... Grr!

50 breast, 32.8 DQ

More bad execution here. My start was not very good and my heels broke the surface on my breakout. Off the turn on my pulldown, I could feel my feet move. I knew I was at risk for a DQ and sure enough it was enough undulation to draw the call. Obviously, I need to be hyper vigilant about this (and I was in my 100 breast).

50 free, 4th, 25.4

I can't say that I was too excited to swim this race and was worried about air/breathing. This time, I had a great start but instead of jamming the turn, I only got my toes on the wall. So my Lochte turn, which is usually an asset, was a liability. This is a pretty mediocre time for me; I went faster at the Sprint Classic. No idea why I had such trouble with my freestyle turns this meet.

Sunday:

50 fly, scratch

I didn't feel like I had the lungs to SDK well, so opted to scratch and rest on my 26.0 from a month ago. Was happy for Susan who crushed the field in my absence.

100 breast, 1st, 1:13.7

I really wanted to end nationals on a positive note and, hey, at least you get to breathe in breaststroke. I felt like I had very good walls and a good 4th 25. It was a dogfight to the finish. It is a very rare occasion indeed when this drop dead sprinter comes from behind to win a 100. So I was happy with the result, which is only .3 off my PR from a few years ago.

So this was definitely not the meet I had hoped for. But so goes life. Hopefully, my lungs/ears/sinuses will be happier heading into Canadian Nationals. I was in the mood for a workout today and so headed to Sewy and did the following:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull
    8 x 25 shooters
    100 EZ

Main sets:

20 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :45
    -- done as 5 x 4 x 25 IM order
    250 EZ

2 rounds:
    10 x 25 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ :45
    150 EZ

20 x 25 breast @ 100 pace @ :45
    250 EZ

10 x 25 dolphin kick @ 100 pace @ :45
    150 EZ

Total: 3700

Updated May 2nd, 2016 at 06:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. Mon-Tues, Apr 25-26

by , April 26th, 2016 at 04:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Monday @ LA Fitness:

1600 EZ

Tuesday @ LA Fitness

800 various
    2 x 50 burst + cruise
    50 EZ
    10 x 25
    odds = 100 pace @ :30
    events = EZ @ :45
    250 EZ

Total: 1450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am beginning to feel much better. Hacking is under control now, and ears don't hurt as much. I think I am well enough to have fun! I will do an easy swim tomorrow and then, Thursday morning, embark on our road trip with my wolfpack. The last time I road tripped to Greensboro, we started out with a flat tire and a lost cat; hopefully not this time. Looking forward to seeing my non-Pittsburgh RAM teammates. I must say a 9-10 day taper is so much easier to endure than a full 3 week taper. Ready or not!

Updated April 26th, 2016 at 05:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sun Apr 24

by , April 24th, 2016 at 05:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

600 various
    4 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ
    4 x 30 burst to 15m from the blocks, cruise back
    50 EZ
    3 x (25 AFAP from the blocks + 125 EZ)
    4 x 25 DPS breast
    100 EZ

Total: 1600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read Karl's comment about us tapering bloggers with amusement. For once, I do not give a toss how I feel in the water. I know that, if I rest, I will swim decently fast. The only thing that I care about is how I feel out of the water. After a really solid night's sleep last night, I feel better. Sleep is truly the panacea for everything. I plan on just going easy tomorrow again. Off to do little stretching. Mr. Fort is on a planting spree outside. But I don't dare join him.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Sat Apr 23

by , April 23rd, 2016 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

600 various
    100 scull
    8 x 25 shooters @ :45
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 single arm fly
    50 EZ
    8 x 50 DPS
    odds = free
    evens = back
    100 EZ

Total: 1700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went all easy today after doing some sprinting yesterday.

I had a setback yesterday. I was outside at Lil Fort's track meet for hours and, yikes, that did not agree with me. I couldn't sleep at all last night, woke up feeling like a zombie. Allergies affect the quality of your sleep bc you can't breath well, but this was awful. I'm going to drug myself tonight and hope I feel better tomorrow. It's hard to be positive when you're sleep deprived ... I need some good karma.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Fri Apr 22

by , April 22nd, 2016 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

600 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    100 EZ
    3 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    100 EZ
    4 x 50 DPS breast + free
    150 EZ

Total: 1900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No hacking today in the warm Sewy pool. I actually felt pretty good in the water, tho I didn't really do much. My ears are a bit better after following Dr. Thornton's advice to spend 20 minutes irrigating them with an ear syringe and warm soapy water. Will need to repeat that soon bc my left ear especially is still clogged and painful. Shoulder feels fine today. Off to a track meet soon. Lil Fort is running the 4 x 800 relay and the 2 mile at a big invitation for 9th and 10th graders.

I will probably go all easy tomorrow and then do some starts and bursts on Sunday at BP. I must say that being preoccupied with one's health sort of eliminates the usual taper woes/nerves.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Wed Apr 20

by , April 21st, 2016 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Pitt

400 various
    8 x 25 shooters @ :40
    4 rounds:
    4 x 50 various @ 1:20 (They were kicking these. I just did a mix of swim, kick, drill)
    1 x 50 EZ
    extra 100 EZ at end

Total: 2100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I swam with the team at Pitt last night, but went all easy. Unfortunately, I was really hacking away. The cold water makes my asthma flare, and the asthma is already irritated by my allergies. I really hope the water in Greensboro is not icy cold. Next year, I will have to find a SCY taper meet that is not in April.

I got a deep tissue massage yesterday as well, which I was apparently in "dire need of." I seem to have a similar shoulder/neck issue to Water Rat. I feel a bit like a sledgehammer hit my upper back today as a result. And I didn't sleep much last night. I was on the phone into the wee hours with Fort21 in Australia and then had a restless night. She is having surgery to get her tonsils out there after repeated strep infections. Getting the necessary insurance approvals has been a huge hassle. I'm feeling so out of out that I may just take a day off. Or do another easy swim.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Tues Apr 19

by , April 19th, 2016 at 05:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    8 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ

Main sets:

10 x 50 burst to 15m then cruise @ 1:30
    100 EZ

20 x 25 w/fins @ 100 pace @ :45
    -- 4 fly + 4 back + 4 breast + 4 free + 4 flutter kick
    250 EZ

6 x 75 @ 1:30 done as:
    25 shooter + :10 rest + 25 @ 100 pace + 25 EZ
    100 EZ

3 rounds
    4 x 25 free w/paddles 1 breath @ :30
    50 EZ @1:30
    50 EZ at the end of the set

Total: 3300

30 minutes of foam rolling & stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was the first day in awhile where I felt like I had good energy. I wish I could have kept going! But I had to remind myself not to overdo. With nationals 10 days away, I'm going to start cutting back tomorrow. I had a 90 minute deep tissue massage scheduled at Massage Envy -- I like to get them 10 days out from a big meet. I got there and it was cancelled with no notice (no call, no email). This is that third time this has happened to me at this location. I was really furious. I await an email from the manager, but I may just cancel my membership. The only reason I have the membership is that it is the one thing in my swimming life that is convenient as it's only 5 minutes away ... I scheduled a massage at the Rivers Club tomorrow, but that means I'll have to go all easy tomorrow night at Pitt. Grr!

Updated April 19th, 2016 at 07:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Mon Apr 18

by , April 18th, 2016 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab ex
    supine flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    straight arm dips, 75 x 3 x 15
    single leg stand on bosu in streamline, 1:00 each leg
    explosive leg extensions, 75 x 3 x 15
    good mornings, 65 x 3 x 5
    hip abductors, 90 x 3 x 8
    hip thrusters, 25 x 3 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 5
    standing broad jumps, 2 x 5
    altitude drops, 5
    seated row negatives, 60 x 3 x 8

1000 EZ in the pool afterward

This was my last dryland session until after Canadian Nationals. I kept the weight pretty light and stayed away from any upper body plyos. I went to my chiro afterward to have him work on my shoulder. He thinks it's mostly muscular, but could be verging on low grade tendonitis. I don't feel the dull ache that I did last week, so I'm hopeful I just strained something. It's a bit of a relief to be done with drylands for awhile -- it's the place I'm mostly likely to injure myself!

I'm feeling much better (still coughing tho) so am thinking nationals is a go barring some relapse. I'd really like to attend this year because I probably won't go next year (in Ca, outdoors).

Off to do some stretching and ice.

Updated April 18th, 2016 at 10:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sat April 16

by , April 16th, 2016 at 07:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:10
    50 EZ

Main sets:

6 x 30 burst to 15 m then cruise back from the blocks
    -- 4 forward, 2 back
    100 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) from the blocks @ 5:00
    100 EZ

20 x 50 w/fins
    odds = @ 100 pace @ 1:00
    evens = EZ @ 1:30

300 EZ

Total: 3200

I also did 30 minutes of stretching/yoga/foam rolling and zapped my shoulder for 20 minutes.

This is the best I have felt in awhile, and my times were fast. I started a prednisone pack yesterday and it has made a huge difference in my allergy symptoms. Because I had raging insomnia when I took it last year at this same time, I was very hesitant to try it. But my dr said that I could take all the pills by noon if I wanted. So I grudgingly agreed. I was still coughing in the pool with exertion. But I felt better and my ears don't hurt as much. I am somewhat worried that when I stop the prednisone in a few days, all my symptoms will come back ... Please no!!! I feel like I deserve a break after the torture of the last month. And I would like to go to nationals with my teammates. As Stewart would say, "fingers crossed." I plan on my last drylands session tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Fri Apr 15

by , April 16th, 2016 at 11:51 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

350 various
    6 x 50 w/fins various @ :50
    8 x 25 burst kick or SDK + cruise @ :40-1:00
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25 fly @ 100 pace @ :35 (ouch)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 fast kick @ 1:30 (I only did #3 fast)
    1 x 50 EZ
    2 x (50 AFAP + 150 EZ) (they did 4 fast 50s) @ 5:00

8 x 25 free @ :30, odds = 100 pace
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 fast kick @ 1:30 (I only did #3 fast)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00

250 EZ

Total: 2950

I swam at Pitt last night. Pretty much followed along with the main sets, modifying here or there. Used fins on the swim portions to give my left shoulder a break. I did see my chiro yesterday and felt better afterward. He said my scap was tight, but that it was my subscap area that was really honked off. I will lay off the fly and free completely today as it still feels sore.

I also saw my allergist. Fortunately, I do not have an ear infection, just blocked ears. I'm feeling better, but the pollen count is supposed to sky rocket the next two weeks. Oak trees are really my undoing, and I'm hoping they are done pollinating.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thur April 14

by , April 14th, 2016 at 05:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

600 various
    100 scull
    12 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
    100 EZ
    3 x 15 AFAP UW breaststroke wall kicks + 50 EZ
    100 EZ
    10 x 75 back kick w/fins @ 1:30-1:45
    -- UW 15m+ each length
    250 EZ

Total: 2450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just did a recovery/hypoxic workout today after yesterday's double. My energy is up and coughing is down. But I have really honked off my left shoulder. Hurts exactly where Water Rat's does, not an uncommon place for me. It hurt to pull with my left arm. Because of a cancellation, I was (luckily) able to get an appt with my chiro at noon tomorrow. I'm icing now with my active wrap and I'll do some scapular strengthening later. I plan to to kick most of the workout tomorrow night. I don't need another injury! I suspect it was yesterday's plyos that caused the reaction.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wed Apr 13

by , April 14th, 2016 at 11:16 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab ex
    supine flutter kicks in streamline on bosu, 2 x 100
    explosive fly pulls, 35/30 x 2 x 10
    explosive boxing punches, 2 x 30
    single leg squat on edge of high box, 2 x 10 each leg
    standing broad jumps, 5
    altitude drop + standing broad jump, 5
    med ball slams, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 5
    explosive leg extensions, 105/9- x 3 x 15
    extreme angle iso squat, 5:00
    straight arm dips, 90 x 3 x 15
    bicep curl negatives, 20 x 3 x 8

15 minutes of foam rolling & stretching

Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

400 various
    12 x 25 various @ :35
    4 x 50 various while they were doing 6 x 50 @ :55

Mains sets:

3 rounds:
    4 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    1 x 50 fast stroke @ 100 pace @ :45
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:35
    4 x 25 power kicks @ :40 (I did shooters here on 2 rounds)
    1 x 50 fast stroke @ 100 pace @ :45
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:35
    4 x 25 fast kick @ :40 (By round, I did 1 fast, then 2 fast, then 4 fast)
    1 x 50 EZ

R1 = 50s were fly-back, R2 = 50s were breast, R3 = 50s were flutter kick

I skipped the 4th round of that set and grabbed an empty lane in the deep end.

100 EZ

10 x 25 breast @ 100 pace @ :45
    250 EZ

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took it pretty easy in the gym yesterday, doing mostly plyometrics. I was still a little lackluster at practice. I also had a shoulder twinge after doing fly on the first round of the main set, so switched to a lot of breaststroke and kicking. It freaked me out a little bc I haven't had that happen in a practice for a long time. I will def make an appt with my chiro. I feel somewhat better today. Luckily, I have a sixth month appt with my allergist tomorrow. I want to have him take a look at my ears, which still hurt. My lungs feel ok this am, but the cold water last night didn't really agree with them. It's not easy to do UW work with intermittent broncho spasms ...
  15. Tues Apr 12

by , April 12th, 2016 at 04:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ
    100 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25 burst SDK + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

10 x 25 fly @ 100 pace @ :45
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 back kick @ :45
    100 EZ
    10 x 25 breast @ 100 pace @ :45
    150 EZ
    10 x 25 free @ 100 pace @ :45
    200 EZ
    10 x 25 flutter kick @ 100 pace @ :45
    250 EZ

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a deep tissue massage and a cupping session yesterday. It really helped with the soreness from weights. I should have gone to the gym today, but didn't feel like it. I'll go tomorrow before the Pitt practice. I'm still having allergy problems -- ears hurt, chest congestion, cough, sinus pain, fatigue. I had planned to start resting for nationals next Tuesday or so. If I'm not substantially better by then, I may pull the plug. I don't want to compete feeling like this. I can work out, but it's a struggle. April is not a good month for those of us with allergies and asthma. I just ordered some plant sterols to see if they help alleviate the symptoms any. I'm off to watch Lil Fort's track meet now. She's running the 2 mile -- got all of Mr. Fort's slow twitch genes.

Assuming I do go to nats, I'm pondering whether I should use the retractable backstroke ledge. I won't be there in time to try it on Thursday and I may miss the warm up after the 500 free on Friday bc my first event is in the afternoon (50 back). So I would have to try it for the first time in a race ... Risky, but I may take the risk since I have the 27.4 as a backup.

Updated April 12th, 2016 at 05:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sun Apr 10

by , April 11th, 2016 at 11:33 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters @ :45
    100 EZ
    50 EZ

Main sets:

modified USRPT type set:
    16 x 25 IM order @ 100 pace @ :45
    1:00 rest
    12 x 25 IM order @ 100 pace @ :45
    8 x 25 IM order @ 100 pace @ :45
    4 x 25 IM order @ 100 pace @ :45
    300 EZ

10 x 25 fast breast w/fins @ :45 (12-13)
    250 EZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was outrageously sore from my Saturday drylands and swim double. I hadn't done DB rows in over 2 months and I could really feel it. I was tired yesterday and somewhat surprised that I could even do the IM set. I am definitely done with doubles for the foreseeable future. I am feeling somewhat better. Perhaps the 30 degree temps we've had are helping. But I am tired from training. Aside from a couple days rest before my April 2 meet, I've been going hard since Albatross. Just going to do an easy swim and get a massage today.

Updated April 11th, 2016 at 12:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sat April 9

by , April 9th, 2016 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Drylands:

rehab ex
    straight arm dips, 90 x 3 x 15
    hip thrusters, 45 x 3 x 10
    yoga ball rotations on double cable machine, 25 x 2 x 10 each side
    HS hi row, 180 x 4 x 5
    leg press, 280 x 3 x 5
    DB bench row, 45 x 4 x 6 each arm
    extreme angle squat on high boxes w/plate, 45 x 3 x 8
    resisted standing broad jumps, 35 x 3 x 5
    squat jumps w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 5
    med ball slams, 2 x 5

Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters
    100 EZ

Main sets:

5 x 30 burst to 15 m + cruise back from the blocks
    100 EZ

3 x 30 burst @ 100 pace from the blocks
    50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00-3:30
    100 EZ

2 x w/fins
    1 x 50 fly-back @ 100 pace @ 1:00
    1 x 50 breast-free @ 100 pace @ 1:00
    2 x 25 fast flutter kick w/board @ :30
    150 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took yesterday off, and felt pretty miserable. But I woke up feeling like half a human today. It was snowing here in the am, and I hope that kills off some of the pollen. I haven't felt well for 3 weeks now and it is really really getting old.

I only did 45 minutes of weights instead of 60. I'd like to get in three more dryland sessions before nationals, but I may keep them shorter and taper the weights some. I still hit a wall during the 100 pace stuff on the swim. I decided to pack it in and save some for tomorrow. I hope trying to push through the workouts this last week was the right call.
  18. Thur April 7

by , April 7th, 2016 at 05:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters
    100 EZ

Main sets:

3 rounds:
    4 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    1 x 50 EZ

100 EZ

2 rounds:
    4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00-3:30
    1 x 100 EZ

5 x 50 free w/paddles, Lochte turn @ 1:30
    150 EZ

Total: 3050

After yesterday's double, I planned a short speed workout for today, and that was definitely all I had the energy for. Still dragging with a lot of chest congestion, and losing my voice. If I feel like crap tomorrow, I'll take the day off. It's been 6 days in a row anyway.

I looked back at my blog from this time last year. Late March-early April, I was suffering from allergies, had an ear infection, had an allergic reaction and was on prednisone. I only swam 2 events at Zones, and my times were terrible. I love spring, but it really hates me. I just hope there is time for my negative reaction to spring to recede. I'm glad that I'm not entered in Zones, though this will be the first time in my masters career that I've missed it. Being sick during a taper is one thing. Being sick on meet day just sucks.

Updated April 7th, 2016 at 11:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wed Apr 6

by , April 7th, 2016 at 11:32 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab ex
    natalie coughlin stability exercise, 1 x 10 each leg
    single leg stand on flat side of bosu in streamline w/pair of 8 lb DBs, 1:00 each leg
    hip thrusters, 35 x 3 x 15
    good mornings, 95 x 2 x 5, 100 x 2 x 3 (max)
    push press, 60 x 4 x 6
    HS hi row, 170 x 4 x 5
    explosive leg extensions, 105 x 3 x 30
    resisted standing broad jumps, 30 x 2 x 5
    squat jumps w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 5
    altitude drops w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 5
    freestyle boxing punches, 2 x 20
    hip adductors, 150 x 4 x 8

Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

500 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

They did: 2 x (8 x 25 @ :30) of something or other
    I did: 2 x (4 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00 + 50 EZ)

Main sets:

They did 6 rounds of:
    8 x 25 @ :30 (2 fly, 2 breast, 2 back)
    2 x 100 @ 1:40 (IM or stroke)
    1 x 50 EZ

I did 5 rounds of: (2 rounds fly w/fins, 2 rounds breast, 1 round dolphin kick)
    8 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :40
    1 x 100 EZ

I did 2 x 25 of the 6th round, but was cramping so I stopped and did 200 EZ

Total: 2850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt really rough when I woke up yesterday. I dragged myself to the gym around 1:00 pm, and felt much better afterward. So much better that I decided to go to Pitt for practice. The club kids are on break so we had a lot more lanes than usual. I shared a lane in the deep end with Lindsay and modified around her. I was glad that we were doing 25s though, and I needed some 100 pace work. Still, after a hard gym session, I started to really strain on the third round. Breast @ :40 is not easy.

I'm sore from weights today, but I think this is the strongest I've been in years.

I didn't feel too badly this am, just some fatigue and chest congestion. And I'm starting to lose my voice. It definitely seems to be allergies that have plagued me. And the weather here is crazy -- one day 70, the next day 30.

I am very jealous of Fort21. The Aussie Olympic Trials are in Adelaide and she is attending for a few days before her spring break trip.

Updated April 7th, 2016 at 11:48 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Tues Apr 5

by , April 5th, 2016 at 04:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    2200 EZ @ LA Fitness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really felt rotten yesterday, and I woke up this morning feeling no better with the added bonus of a cough. I don't know if it's a new virus or if I overdid it with the Saturday meet + Sunday double. I don't want to be alarmist, but if I don't recover soon, I may have to abort nationals. My plan was to train like a demon for the next 2.5 weeks. If I can't, I will have to put in the training before and during nationals instead. I'm much more focused on Canadian Nationals. I was just going to USMS Nationals for fun, and because I haven't been to nationals in three years. We'll see ... I actually feel somewhat better after the easy swim. It's been 17 days ... I'd just like to wake up and have my usual energy. I know just how my teammate Stewart feels!

If anyone is interested, here are the psych sheets for Colonies Zones:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm
    Categories
    Swim Workouts