View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Sunday, Oct. 18

by , October 18th, 2009 at 06:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    A whole weekend went by ... and I did nuthin'.

I had sort of planned to work out today in some minimal way. But I didn't get out of bed until really late and had to cart kids to the movies in light of the disgusting bone chilling rainy weather we've had lately. So I decided, using Speedo and Beth's examples, to give my body 2 days rest. I've been pretty tired from the high intensity training, so maybe it's a good thing.

I also had 2+ glasses of chard last night and apple pie and chocolate pie for lunch today. No dessert though. Stud thinks this may somehow weight me down for our 50 evil gridge ...

I'll go back to my good girl ways and the Ande plan tomorrow tomorrow.

Oh, I finally got the flu mist vaccine on Friday. Has anyone had the swine flu vaccine?

And in other news, Mr. Fort and my other Savageman relay mate are now plotting an Ironman relay and think the Wrightsville Beach Iron would be ideal. I love Wrightsville Beach and all, but, really, is there no limit to my obligation to be a good wife?!

Updated October 18th, 2009 at 07:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Savageman Report, Sunday, Sept. 20

by , September 21st, 2009 at 04:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Savageman Report:

So I jumped way out of my comfort zone and into Deep Creek Lake ... (where's the "take the plunge" emotion, Anna Lea?).

First off, I want to say I had a fabulous time at the event, which had a wonderful festival like atmosphere and beautiful setting. And I appreciate all the great advice everyone took the time and effort to give me! Many thanks on that score!

But what happens if you put a drop dead sprinter in the OW for the first time at age 48?*

(*I'm not sure I even qualify as a drop dead sprinter using Ande's calculations. My 200 back time is worse than 2 x my 100 back + 14 seconds ... Does that make me a drop drop dead sprinter or a drop dead dead sprinter?)

Here's the recap:

Relay:

The Vienna Geezer Jocks finished 5th in the coed relay for the half iron division. Our overall time was 5:36. (We would have been 4th in the all male division. lol) We were the #1 all masters relay. All the teams that beat us had a 20 something youngster -- my running relay mate did all the internet research and observation at transition.

Splits:

Swim: :29:44
    Bike: 3:25
    Run: 1:39

Note: Quicksilver accurately predicted my time!

Swim:

I was the first female relay contestant out of the water with a 29:44. I was actually thrilled to go under 30 minutes, as I said I would be. But, boy, I made absolutely every rookie mistake in the book and am a stinky OW swimmer:

1. I sprinted at the start. NOT a good idea for a drop drop dead sprinter. I should have listened to Jimby and I promptly texted him with permission to say "I told you so." I went into lactic acid pain after 200 yards or so. The next 500 I was wishing I could climb out! lol I vaguely settled into a groove later. I think the race would have been more pleasant and less painful if I had built into it like I did in my 22 x 100 pool swim.

2. I didn't/couldn't draft except for the smallest portion. The fast 25-29 guys and the faster male relay swimmers were just too far ahead, and I had trouble seeing anyone else. As a result, I felt like I was slightly in no man's land. I did draft off a guy for awhile. He apparently didn't like this as he swung wide. There was another (much younger) woman who was very close to me in the swim (29:48). We actually chatted at the start. She is an OW swimmer. I should have known she was reasonably fast and tried to keep track of her when she lined up at the right front at the start. In fact, she was ahead of me the whole race until the last 200 yards. How do I know this?

3. I did quite a bit of evilstroke! 100 lashings. I couldn't see where the F I was, so occasionally I took a couple evilstrokes to check the field and look for other swimmers. (I recognized her goggles at various junctures.) In fact, she was breaststroking around the huge inflatable turtle at the first turnaround point and I was right behind her, forced to evilstroke as well. (But, Bob, it didn't make my legs feel bad at all!)

4. Trouble at the first buoy. In my attempt not to swim 20 feet away from the buoy, I was rather close on the first one. In fact, the swimmer in front of me smacked his/her head right into it. Yikes! This caused me to evilstroke for a few seconds as well as that person stopped abruptly. I seemed to be reasonably close to the other buoys without going way way off course. Though I definitely wasn't swimming straight and had to keep correctly some. I love my lane lines.

5. I didn't kick enough. I realized this after. I was so preoccupied with feeling adrift and staying on course, I forgot this basic thing. I think it would have helped me. On the other hand, I'm not used to either LD freestyle or kicking on LD freestyle, so I tend (even if the pool) to lapse into a 2 beat kick. But this meant my legs were somewhat fresh and I could hightail it up that nasty hill toward the bike transition area. I was one of the few running. The tris, very understandably, seemed to be recovering before hopping on their bikes. All except the other relay girl who came out of the water right after me. I wasn't going to let her pass me on the run!

5. mj's advice about taking a few seconds before starting the run up the hill was good. I got out of the water very slowly, and was able to start running pretty quickly. Well, jogging is more accurate.

6. I guess the thing I disliked the most was that I felt like I was swimming in the dark. The lake seemed black to me and I couldn't see anything underwater. And I'm an unskilled sighter. Upon reflection, I think I preferred swimming in the ocean at Wrightsville beach despite the waves. The ocean water is so much lighter and clearer, I didn't feel like I was in the dark.

7. The water temp and air temp were ideal. Thanks to my wetsuit, I didn't feel cold at all.

For Ande: I just wore my Title IX sport bikini under my 2XU. I didn't have time to change at transition. I just ripped off my wet suit, pulled on running shorts and hopped in the car to get to the Western Port wall in time to see Mr. Fort. We got there only a few minutes before he arrived, and I also got to see Julie try to summit it.

How my time stacked up:

I had the fastest women's relay time, as I noted. There were three female Pros who swam faster with 24:11, 26:21 and 28:06. The 24 was by Susan Williams, 2000 triathlon bronze medalist. She was amazing and I got to see her a couple times on the course. The other Olympic triathlete (from 2004) swam the course in 32:55. Julie swam the course in 31:22, though the poor thing had her googles break. (Her fiance Jeff really rocked the swim!) Note: Julie swam WAY faster that that b/c they messed up her swim/transition time, for the second year in a row. She was a 28+, which is smoking and much more consistent with her other times. She is a great distance swimmer. (And, as aside from the Western Wall where she put in max effort, she had a very good bike leg.)

One other real female swimmer in the relays (from what our intelligence gleaned) was 20 years old and a 500 freestyler in high school. She swam a 34:49 for the winning coed relay, Team Generation XYZ.

Bike:

Mr. Fort did great. He's only been cycling for a few months and chose a super hard course for his first bike race. He completed the 55 mile course in 3:25. He said he gained ground on the hills and got clobbered on the descents. He knew this was coming because he didn't have the technical skills of the other riders. He also didn't have the gear. He was on a 2005 Trek with no aero bars. Everyone else in the bike rack for the relays had serious bikes, aero bars, bibs and those cone helmets. But I think he was super pleased with how he did. He summited the Western Port Wall fairly easily. He went straight up and was very glad no one was weaving in front of him. He was hurting on the Killer Miller climb.

One relay cyclist (from the winning coed team and a master) was crazy fast. He biked a 2:49 on the course. I think the winning Pro (Bjorn Anderson), who is in his prime, set the course record and biked a 2:43.

Run:

Our runner did wonderfully well. He struggled more on the hills than he anticipated (though he had run the course before). He is a much better runner on the flats. But he ran a hilly half marathon in 1:39, which was the 3rd fastest time among the relay runners. He passed several relay teams to pull us up in the standings.

He was very fortunate. About a mile into his race, he paired up with one of the ironman racers (a 46 year old Kona qualifer, who went on to finish 10th overall, I believe). They paced each other and drafted the rest of the way.

Other Notes:

1. Watching at the Western Port Wall was amazing. There were huge crowds. Many many folks with cowbells. Despite Geek's admonition, I purchased an annoying cowbell for our girls and they whacked away at it for every biker attempting the climb. So many people just fell over as they were riding slowly up the hill. I had never seen anything like it before. And, when you're clipped in, it looks like it really hurts. There were people dressed as "devils" encouraging the bikers as they made their way up the hill.

2. Even elite Pros make mistakes -- I saw one guy fall off his bike when dismounting to transition to the run. I saw one guy fall off his trainer that he was warming up on in the transition area.

3. The hills were brutal. Truly, the triathletes there participating are a of a different breed. I was told the blogs and discussion boards had many comments saying some tris just wouldn't do Savageman because it was too hard.

4. I didn't see anyone that wasn't in a wetsuit. I did notice that there weren't that many people warming up. I guess some tris use the swim as their warm up.

5. Today I feel like someone took a hammer to my back and shoulders. lol. And my lats were burning after the race. Don't think I'll be doing a test set with Pete tomorrow. I will be cruising and trying to recover for the Fall Ball.

6. Super glad to have done it. Enjoyed our relay comraderie and the convivial atmosphere. But it was tough! My previous longest race was 2:20+, so this was a big jump to say the least.

7. Oh, and my B70 goggles were great. I didn't have any trouble with fogging or the sun.

8. I did get chaffing around the back of my neck at the hairline where I didn't put body glide. So I guess I needed it!

Updated September 22nd, 2009 at 12:35 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gorgeous! Saturday, Sept. 19

by , September 19th, 2009 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove to Deep Creek this morning arriving at 1:30 just in time to pick up our packets and attend the athlete briefing. It's so beautiful here ... Temps in the upper 60s, sunshine, foliage -- should be very good race conditions tomorrow, though possibly warm for the run.

I went on a swim in the course. Swam about one mile. Here's what I found out:

1. I can't swim straight. Without frequent sighting I'll end up in the middle of the lake!

2. I need to stay much closer to the buoys or I'll be going way more than 1.2 miles.

3. It's freaking dark in a lake. I can barely see someone swimming next to me! That's very odd after the pool ...

4. I have no idea how to pace this race. Not unexpected as I'm a sprinter. But at least I'll know when I'm at the 3/4 mark because there's a buoy fir the international finish.

5. There will be no dolphin diving to the finish. There's rocks all over at the start and finish.

6. The transition will be murder. You get out of the water and there's about 1/3 mile straight uphill to the bike transition area.

7. It's more tiring to swim in OW than a pool. No surprise there!

8. Triathlete love B70 wetsuits. Saw loads of them there.

9. Julie and Jeff swam this am. Julie had major trouble with her goggles fogging. Hope that doesn't happen tomorrow am.

I'm now ensconced in a lovely little cabin overlooking the bucolic lake. The girls are making a poster for us Vienna Geezer Jocks. The names of some of the coed teams are hilarious. One of my favs is "In the name of the donut."

My biggest challenge will be getting up at the crack of dawn. I'm not nervous at all, nothing like before a big meet. I think this reflects the fact that my inner control freak is subsiding over time.

I think swimming this race, in all my ignorance, should allow me to escape mocking fir being a wimpy sprinter fir at least one week!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Modified Ande Workout, Sunday, Sept. 6

by , September 6th, 2009 at 07:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Yesterday, I took my scheduled Saturday off.

Today, I slept through my team workout. Can't seem to get up at a reasonable hour at all. Oh well, I stole and modified one of Ande's workouts and got a good speed workout in later in the afternoon. Tomorrow will be weights & an aerobic workout hopefully -- if I can wake up! lol Friends over for a barbecue in the late afternoon so I can't dally all day.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Speed work:

5 x 100 backstroke kick @ 1:45 @ 70-75% w/10-8-8-8 SDKs per 25
    (Went 1:03-05s)

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 @ 85-90% w/12, 10, 10, 10, 10 SDKs per 25
    (Went 58, 58, 56, 56)
    (Had meant these to be at 80%, but missed the boat on the first one, so just kept going at the slightly higher speed)

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP back + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

3 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 @ 90% w/12, 10, 10, 10 SDKs
    (Went 57s)

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP breast + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 @ 95% w/ 13, 11, 11, 11 SDKs per 25
    50 EZ inbetween
    (Went 56, 55)

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 100 backstroke kick @ 100% w/ 14, 12, 12 12 SDKs per 25
    (Went 54)

200 EZ

Total: 4250

Swim = 1750
    Kick = 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ordered a wetsuit! Decided to buy instead of rent b/c I think I'll have occasion to use it again.

Had my iphone stolen at the movies last night. It rots when grown adults or teenagers have to steal someone's cell phone. I left it for only a few seconds ... Got a new iphone today with a tracking device. It's ever stolen again, I will hunt the thief down.

Updated September 7th, 2009 at 09:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. No H2O, Sat. Aug 22

by , August 22nd, 2009 at 07:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Took a rest day yesterday to drive to the beach.

Wanted to swim today. No go. Couldn't swim in the ocean. It was too rough, and they closed the beach for awhile. There were jet skis circling for a long while -- I hope it wasn't a drowning.

Tried to go swim at the Wilmington YMCA. Drove there and thunderstorm started. Even though it is an indoor pool, they closed it, so I was out of luck. The Y is closed starting Monday for the rest of the week.

Thought about going on a run. But after sitting on the beach all day, running is TOO hard. I have no running legs. I'm sort of worried they're gone for good.

I'm going to investigate other places to swim around here if the ocean stays like this. I think it is supposed to be calmer later in the week. Really hoping this week isn't going to be a workout disaster, since I already took one week off.

Surfing would be good core work -- but I haven't surfed in many years.

Updated August 22nd, 2009 at 08:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Team Practice, Thursday, Aug. 20

by , August 20th, 2009 at 10:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove out to Mason with my little one in tow.

Swim/SCY/Team:

Warm up:

500 swim
    2 x 150 kick
    300 pull
    2 x 75 drill
    2 x 75 ? (I did shooters)

400 IM kick
    75 kick/25 swim

Sprint/lactate set:

I was somewhat flabbergasted to see this set at the start of a SCY season after the pool had been closed for two weeks! I thought I'd be lounging around doing aerobic work ...

24 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 EZ, 1 AFAP (every other AFAP from a dive, extra 30 seconds rest on dive ones)

I did all the fast ones backstroke with fins. Went 6 24s and 2 25s.

100 EZ

Pull set:

2 x 250 pull w/some breathing pattern
    I did backstroke kick at a pretty quick pace instead.

200 EZ

Total: 3750

Vacation:

I'm leaving for the beach in NC for a week tomorrow. I plan to swim in the ocean some. I may look for a wet suit when I'm down there. There's also a Y close by that I swam at last year. My only concern is the weights. I think there was a really subpar weight room at the Y. My hammies are still slightly sore from the squats the other day.

Fall Meet Plan:

I have a tentative meet plan for the fall:

1. Sept. 26 DCAC's Fall Ball

(I may swim the 100 and 200 back at this meet. There are no 50s except for the 50 free and I'll sort of be in aerobic mode. Well, for me.)

2. Oct. 27 Sprint Classic at GMU

(unless Mr. Fort runs the MCM)
    (Looked at the order of events. Not sure whether to start with 50 back or 100 fly. Last year, I opted for the 100 fly.)

3. Nov., Thanksgiving SCM Meet at Freedom Center

4. Dec, SCM Zones at Flushing Meadow Queens, NY

(This is the pool I almost swam at last May before my meet entries were lost. Not sure exactly when the meet is yet, but I know a bid has been placed. I may only swim one day at this meet, depending on life. I hope it's not the first weekend of Dec. immediately after the Thanksgiving meet here.)

Updated August 20th, 2009 at 11:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sports Nutrition Findings

by , August 13th, 2009 at 06:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No exercise to report. However, I did expend a tremendous amount of mental energy reading an article in the latest Rowing News magazine. It set forth highlights from the meeting of the ACSM last May. I'm sure many of you have seen them, but if you haven't, here are some that caught my eye:

1. Many athletes believe they need protein to build muscle. Yet a study showed that taking recovery protein (from Endurox or whatever) had no performance or muscle building advantages. I guess this is distinguishable, however, from its possible muscle recovery properties. This could be some of the research Jazz was alluding to when he announced that protein may not help build strength and changed his diet to exclude most protein, or at least meat.

2. Fruits, berries and black currants have antioxidant and anti-inflammantory properties. Real shocker there.

3. Actual food is more health protective than supplements. Q and Jazz say this all the time!

4. Almonds are awesome, particularly pre-exercise. Must be why Quicksilver munches them at his desk while sipping green tea ...

5. Athletes who exercise in the heat should hyper-hydrate, but make sure their sport drink contains a substantial amount of sodium.

6. Man athletic trainers use pickle juice to treat cramps. SwimmerGirlKT mentioned this on her blog awhile ago. Some report that 1-2 ounces can relieve cramping in seconds. The actual mechanism for this is illusive and indeterminate.

7. Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink. Wow, who'd a thunk?

8. Glutamine reportedly enhances recovery, yet a study comparing beverages with and without glutamine during and after exercise did not confirm this.

9. During exercise, an energy bar, sport drink or gel are all pretty much equally effective.

10. Exercise apparently improves learning based on studies done with younger children.

11. And check this out:

"Many youth swimmers spend hours training for relatively short competitive events. A six-week study with 9-12 year olds suggests high intensity/low volume training offers the same benefits as lower intensity/high volume training."

So don't burn young kids out! Wonder how this applies going forward as the pre-teens age?

Updated August 13th, 2009 at 06:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Nada + Pics, Wed., Aug. 12

by , August 12th, 2009 at 03:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This will be my third day in a row of no exercise! I didn't take a break after Zones in April and think that caused me more fatigue when I started up again. So I'm going to take a few days off. I am heading up to the Hillman Cancer Center in Pittsburgh this afternoon. I hope to get in a mellow swim or two at the Sewickley Y with my Pittsburgh buddies, Jimby and Bill White, while I'm in Pittsburgh over the weekend. (I have a family get together as well.)

I've attached a couple pics of two forum dinners and some of the Academy Bullets doing our strong arm thing. ABM finished 4th overall in the club team rankings!

Only 2 other thoughts about Nats:

It was freezing in the natatorium. I wish I had brought my parka and Ugg boots (if they're good enough for Rob Butcher ...), but they didn't fit in the suitcase, which already weighed 49.9 pounds.

I forgot to put my good luck nose clip on before my 50 back split on Thursday. I'm sure that made all the difference!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010441.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	6279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010493.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	6280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010566.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	6281  
  9. Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3

by , July 3rd, 2009 at 09:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Although I have no desire whatsoever to be a so-called "weekend warrior," I felt compelled to sit on my ass all day to rest the sore hammies. Well, I did technically stand for 3 hours (and, sadly, was forced to issue a couple backstroke turn DQs), but I did not seek to exercise in any way, shape or form. I went to a movie (Public Enemies -- not very good), drank beer and ate pizza with friends and failed to stretch.

I was chatting with my sometime workout buddy Wally today at our local relay meet (he was exerting himself with a 25 breast). He informed me that we, in a lapse into the "it's just masters" mentality no doubt, had both missed the entry deadline for junior and senior champs. We were both sending out emails today to see if we could sneak into these meets.

As I was doing this, I received the following email from my coach about all the events in the area:

One local swim meet and lots of open water swims coming up. Feel free to enter:

July 19 - DCRP LCM Meet - (outdoors!) Hains Point -Washington DC -
    http://www.swimdcrp.org/files/2009EntryForm.pdf (meetentries postmarked by July 10)

July 11 - Swim for Life (1,2,3,4, or 5 miles) - Chestertown
    MD (hosted by DCAC) http://www.swimdcac.org/Swim4Life.html

Jul 11 Captain Craig 1 mile swim - Ocean City, MD
    http://www.town.ocean-city.md.us/ocb...pplication.pdf
    More info:
    http://www.oceancity.com/events/eventdetail.php?id=2167

Jul 11 1-3 Mile Open Water Championships (2 miles) -
    Canandaigua Lake, Canandaigua, NY
    http://www.usms.org

Jul 11 Chris Greene Lake Cable Swim, Charlottesville VA -
    http://www.vaswim.org/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi

Jul 11 Swim for the Dolphins Wildwood Crs, NJ
    http://www.lmsports.com/

Jul 11 1st Annual East Hampton Ocean Rescue Ocean Swim -
    $35.00 day-of
    registration Registration begins at 7:00 A.M. at Kirk Park
    beach (next
    to IGA as one comes in to Montauk) Race time 8:00 A.M.
    Distances 2 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile swimming west to east
    along the
    bluffs of Montauk and ending at Ditch Plains Beach Shirts,
    caps provided
    All proceeds are going to the Montauk Playhouse Foundation
    and East
    Hampton Ocean Rescue Questions...e-mail John Ryan @
    kingjohn@optonline.net or call @ 631 324-2787

Jul 18 Ocean City Masters Swim Ocean City, NJ

Jul 18 Aquathlon: Stars & Stripes Swim 1.5 K / Run 5 K
    Riverside Park Tune Up Swim 1.5 K New York NY
    http://www.nycswim.org

Jul 18 Greenwich Point 1 mile Swim; Greenwich, CT
    http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/1m09entry.htm

Jul 25 Swim Barnegat 1 Mile Swim Barnegat, NJ

Aug 1 USMS 6+ Mile Open Water Championships (10 km) -
    Little Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan, Harbor Springs, MI

Aug 8 - 2 mile Island Beach Swim - Greenwich, VA
    http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/2m09entry.htm

Aug 9 Grimaldo's Mile - Coney Island, NY -
    http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...leOWSevent.pdf

Aug 15 USMS 2009 2-Mile Cable Championships - Mirror Lake,
    Lake Placid, NY

Aug 15 Against the Tide 1 Mile Swim Brewster, MA
    http://www.mbcc.org/swim/

Aug 15 Save the Bay 1.7 mile Swim Newport, RI
    http://www.savebay.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1085

Aug 16 Pennock Island Challenge 8 miles Ketchikan Alaska
    http://www.alaskateamada.com

Oct 18 - Bermuda Round the Sound 10K, 7.25K, 4K, 2K, or .8K
    Swim -
    http://www.aquamoonadventures.com/page2.html

Aug 22 Clean Harbor Swim Gloucester MA
    http://home.comcast.net/~clean.harbor.swim/index.htm

Sep 12 USMS 2009 3-6 Mile Open Water Championships (5 km) -
    Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL

Sep 12 Brooklyn Bridge Swim 1K New York NY

Sep 12 Swim for Life - Provincetown MA
    http://www.swim4life.org/

Sep 26 Little Red Lighthouse Swim 5.85 Mile New York NY

Oct 18 - St. Croix 5 mile swim - St. Croix VI
    http://www.swimrace.com/

Seems a tad bit lopsided, no? I guess, if I don't get into my preferred meet, I could attend Hains Point. I just am not a fan of this pool or swimming backstroke outdoors.

Someday, if I don't have a taper meet in the summer and am actually running more regularly (is that allowed for masters or did I just dream up the neurotic runners I know who wirelessly download their Garmin 405 workout stats?), I'd like to do the Stars & Stripes Aquathlon purely for fun. I guess this kind of low key fun is permissible, right?

Updated July 4th, 2009 at 03:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10

by , June 10th, 2009 at 07:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pulled a "Patrick" today. Got my kids off to school, then fell back asleep and slept until 10:15. No time to workout as I had appointments, sports chauffeuring, lessons, and the usual "summer swim league practice cancelled mid-way due to lightening" events. Probably just as well. I'm feeling pretty beat up after ART and a deep tissue. Couldn't have done any race pace work. I'm commencing a 3 day mini-taper, which will extend into a longer mini-taper next week. I've become pretty convinced that after 4-5 weeks of hard training, my body needs a recovery week. During SCY season, this is typically, and conveniently, before a meet. I've been going 6-7 weeks since Zones -- it's slightly too much even for a hard core endorphin addict. I need a relative break.

I see the entry deadline for LCM Nationals is approaching. I don't have any clue what to enter for my 200 back. I'm not sure if I'll do it as a 200 or get a 50 back split. I guess more likely that latter, as I'm assuming I'll be blasted by the time the 50 rolls around -- it's practically the last event on day 4. So I guess I should enter a slow time, figuring I will be swimming somewhat slowly the last 150? If I then decide to swim it as a 200, I'm sure I'll be yelled at for sandbagging.

My one workout of the day will be trying on the one FINA approved tech suit I have managed to procure in my size. Mini Fort can do the zipping. Although, frankly, it sounds like FINA is endorsing the anything goes for masters ...

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese & tomatoes, blackberries
    Snack: yogurt
    Snack: banana, sliced mangos
    Snack: 2 bean & cheese taquitos,
    Dinner: cheese & chicken enchiladas, kiwi & blueberries; 10% crap = nachos

I seem to need portable food during the day. If anyone has any suggestions ...

Updated June 10th, 2009 at 10:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Still dead, Wed., April 29

by , April 29th, 2009 at 03:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Wow, I am still absolutely dead from the meet. Not recovering quickly at all. Am now glad I'm not going to the NY meet this weekend, as traveling sounds tiring ... Looking forward to a weekend with the family & watching my kids' sporting events!

Was heading to the gym, but cancelled that plan. Just did RC and some stretching today. Taking Bobinator's advice and listening to the body!

I am weary of all the tech suit haters. I believe that the suits make everyone faster, and that I have benefitted from my B70. Especially in my first set of unrested and tapered times. However, I have been wearing the B70 for a long now; I was one of the first masters to get it -- I followed Ande's recommendation immediately and spoke to Dean in Europe to discuss getting one. (This is consistent with my penchant for trying new things. No reason not to be adventurous.) I now have so many times in it, that I'm inclined to think I've seen most of the benefits from the suit and that my subsequent time drops are at least somewhat due to other factors. Even under Jimby's prior (and flawed! :P) analysis, I've dropped time since I last tapered in the B70 in February. This may be wishful thinking on my part, and some say it is, but I continue to believe that weights have helped me. How many times do you have to wear a suit before every single improvement ceases to attributed to it?! Right now, I feel like I'm comparing "apples to apples" since I always swim in a B70.

My current B70 (#2) now has 18 races in it, plus all the warm downs. I also warmed up in it on Saturday of Zones, as I didn't have time to struggle into it before my first race. BTW, I disliked warming up in it and will try to avoid doing it again.

Updated April 29th, 2009 at 04:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. No time to swim!

by , April 24th, 2009 at 04:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No time to swim today. Probably all right to have an off day. Instead, I:

purchased massive quantities of food;
    answered numerous text messages from swimmers, lol;
    cleaned;
    tended children;
    stretched;
    drank copious amounts of water and green tea;
    contemplated an ice bath;
    purchased daffodils and tulips
    stretched out Jimby's B70
    packed swim bag (with back up suit!)

Ready for the meet and festivities! Expecting about 20 or so forumites, assorted GMUP teammates, spouses (they're very brave to tolerate all the boring swim shop talk!) and children on Sunday. Should be perfect weather, 85 degrees and sunny. Pool is open. No hottub for Team Hottub members though. Someone else will have to host that one! Thought we could celebrate Wookiee's birthday early. In lieu of a cake, he's requested kisses from all the beautiful ladies.

Not nervous yet. I just read that a friend was nauseous before her meet. Doesn't seem terribly uncommon. Does this happen to anyone else? Do we swim better the more nervous we are or not? I've found that, for me, some nerves/adrenline is definitely good ... but I seem to swim just as fast relaxed with my bad ass sprinter attitude. I seem to calm down when I've got my first event under my belt.

Updated April 24th, 2009 at 04:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Bit of Hypoxic, Friday, April 17

by , April 17th, 2009 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still under the weather and an energy-less FAF, but better than yesterday!

AM: Massage

Got a deep tissue massage. Ouch! Guess I had some cranky muscles. The tightest area is my middle back. (Lower back was fine.) How exactly does one stretch the middle back?

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Just a short workout. Wanted to keep feel and not sure I can get to the pool tomorrow. Did some hypoxic work that I like to do when I'm resting or feeling sub par.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Sets:

10 x 25 back UW shooter w/MF @ :30

50 EZ

Then, realizing that I had just told She Puff that I had become too besotted with my MF lately and needed to do some fin-less SDK work, I grudgingly took it off.

10 x (25 back UW shooter no fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:15

50 EZ

3 x 150 (50 scull, 50 kick, 50 swim)
    7 SDKs off each wall on kick and swim

50 EZ

5 x (25 belly UW shooter no fins + 25 EZ)

200 C/D

Total: 2275

The UW shooters with no fins were easier than I anticipated. For the last year, I've felt faster/better on my belly shooters than my back shooters and have started avoiding back shooters because of the air bleeding. With a nose clip, I felt like this phenomenon was reversed: I felt faster and more comfortable on my back. Though I took about 21 kicks each way.

Will try to get to my team practice on Sunday if I'm feeling better to practice some starts, etc. I won't be doing 3000, though, so I may be a dirty rotten selfish rule breaking teammate that is disrupting the normal swimming protocol. I suspect a few others are tapering for Zones too though. But, since I'm one of few sprinters, I'm sure I'll do less yardage.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Really sick, Blech!

by , April 16th, 2009 at 03:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm sick again, and it's making me really dang grumpy. Could be allergies run amuck or a nasty cold I picked up traveling. Very frustrating, as I just had a severe cold two weeks ago. So forced to take a day off. Just hope I get better soon, as I have a very packed weekend. If I don't, I may question the back to back meet plan or the number of events at Zones ... For sure, I'm going to kick into rest mode swim wise and not overdo it in the pool the next few days.

Going to lay on the couch now and feel sorry for myself. April is just not my month.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday, Apr. 14

by , April 14th, 2009 at 07:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quickie AM Weights:

Cut back 1/3 of the weight. Shoulder still cranky, stayed away from pull ups/chins and hanging ab exercises. Going to chiro tomorrow afternoon.

standing lat pulldown, 100 x 2 x 15
    dead lift, 70 x 2 x 12
    seated narrow grip row, 70 x 2 x 15
    alternating hammers, 12.5 x 2 x 20

decline reverse crunch, 2 x 25
    elevated crunch, 2 x 25
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    back extensions w/10 lb weight, 2 x 25

external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 2
    (did a bunch of arm extensions last night)

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Swam late today because I was taking care of really important things like beautifying my chlorine-damaged hair. The FISH were practicing. Swam in a lane right next to Kate Ziegler.

Warm up:

600 variety swim-kick

Hypoxic Set:

20 x 25 shooters on back w/MF @ :30

50 EZ

Speed Work:

4 x (50 dolphin kick on back w/MF AFAP + 100 easy)

Went: 22, 21.5, 21, 21.5

My fastest to date. Before Auburn, I was going 23s. Think the time drops are due in part to use of a nose clip. I'm only above water from the flags to the wall. Was planning on doing more 50s, but someone joined my lane and I didn't want to slice and dice.

4 x (4 x 50) speed variables @ 1:00

#1: 50 back, descend to fast
    #2: backstroke kick, EZ, fast, EZ, fast
    #3: breaststroke, 25 fast, 25 easy by 50s
    #4: 25 fast doggie paddle scull drill, 25 EZ

300 C/D

Total: 2850

Meets:

Pondering amount of rest for Zones/SCM Meet. Went back and looked at the yardage I did before Auburn two weeks out:

14: off
    13: 3200
    12: 3000
    11: 2650
    10: off
    9: 2800
    8: 3100
    7: 2000
    6: off
    5: 1850
    4: 1500
    3: 1400
    2: 1000
    1: off

May try to replicate some of the workouts. The last time I lifted weights before Auburn was Jan. 25. Using that as a guideline, I should probably stop lifting now if I want to swim well at my SCM meet. Anyone have any different thoughts?

Of course, having Zones before the SCM meet will effect how "rested" I am for the second meet, assuming I go ... For Zones, I am entered in:

Sat:

100 free
    200 mixed medley relay
    50 breast (gridge anyone? haven't swum this event in 4 years)
    400 medley relay
    200 free relay

Sun:

50 fly
    100 back
    200 free relay

Signed up for the 50 fly, 50 free and 50 back for the SCM meet. I NT'd the 50 fly because there is only 1 event between the 50 fly and 50 free. Have at me, you anti-sandbaggers, but this is my response to the social engineering meet line up.

Hosting a apres meet party Sunday after Zones: burger and beer. Last year, we had a fun party as well, some of the pics are in my photos albums. We also had a video show with vids taken by Ensignada, Stud and me. The funniest one, of course, featured Jimby standing on the blocks as everyone else took off for the 100 free. (They let him swim in another heat.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling pretty exhausted. Traveling from the east coast to the west coast doesn't agree with me. I only got 5-6 hours sleep in Tucson because I would wake up so early every day. Now, back east, I'm having trouble going to sleep. Thought I would be dead in the water today, so was surprised to swim pretty fast. Hoping for more sleep the rest of the week.

Updated April 14th, 2009 at 07:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Rest Weekend + Shoulder Paranoia

by , April 13th, 2009 at 02:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It was raining on Saturday in Tucson, and I let that dissuade me from swimming. I was pretty tired from my M-F workout craze anyway. Sunday I traveled home. Will swim later today.

Sent in my entry form for a SCM meet in Brooklyn on May 3. http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...cParksMeet.pdf. Still not sure whether I'm going. May conflict with family things, or I may be too tired after Zones. I'll play it by ear. This is the only meet where I've read the words "all entries are free." lol

Not sure what I did, but my cranky shoulder is really bothering me. Lack of sufficient RC work last week? Or overdoing weights? Or sitting on the airplane all day? It hasn't noticeably bothered me in awhile. Chiro check up is probably in order. I'll do a lot of kicking the next couple days. It probably will effect my weight lifting this week too. I had been planning on lifting this week, and knocking off next week before Zones.

I don't see my entries on the psych sheet for Colonies Zones yet. Hopefully, it just hasn't been processed yet and it was received. Need to think about the apres swim party soon.

Got my shipment of nose clips while I was gone. The speedo competition nose clip seems much tighter than the others. Hopefully, it will stay on better.

Updated April 13th, 2009 at 02:44 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tuesday, April 7

by , April 7th, 2009 at 09:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent the morning at the Desert Museum. Very nice! Was in a convertible and walking around for many hours in the sun. Got to the pool, hopped in and was DEAD, no energy. Should have injected caffeine first, I guess. I almost got out because I was worried it would all be garbage yards. Sheesh. Luckily, I had some Jolt gum in my back pack. Tried that after the first set, and it seemed to perk me up some.

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Main sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
    odd single arm fly
    evens dolphin kick w/board

6 x (6 x 50), done as:
    (30-60 seconds rest between rounds)

#1: 25 variety scull, 25 back @ 1:10
    #2: 25 fast fly, 25 easy w/fins @ :50
    #3: 2 x 50 fast breast, 50 easy, 2 x 50 fast breast, 50 easy @ 1:00
    #4: 25 easy free, 25 backstroke shooter w/fins & nose clip @ 1:00
    #5: 25 easy speed fly, 25 easy @ 50
    #6: 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    2 fast fly, back, free

100 EZ

Total: 3900

Question:

When you're doing pull ups and chin ups, do you have to be in a straight arm dead hang between each rep for them to "count" and not be "cheating"?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wed., April 1

by , April 1st, 2009 at 11:25 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hadn't been to my team practice in ages. Had to get up early to put my kid on the Zones bus, so I dragged myself to the 4:45 am practice.

Warm up:

9 x 100, S/K/D

Main sets:

4 x 500 w/paddles & pull buoy,
    descend @ 7:00

50 EZ

12 x 100
    1-4 @ 1:25
    5-8 @ 1:20
    9-12 @ 1:15

50 EZ

20 x 25 @ :30, alternate fast and easy

100 C/D

Total: 4800

Weights later today ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Sick, Sunday Mar. 28

by , March 29th, 2009 at 01:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, I finally succumbed to the petri dish of germs that has been my house lately. Started feeling sick on Friday night, woke up feeling like I got hit with a sledgehammer. Nasty cold, cough, fever, etc. Spent yesterday on the couch not moving. Will likely do much of the same today. Just hoping it doesn't morph into sinusitis/bronchitis, which I've been so prone to in the past (especially in the Spring).

On the bright side, I was due for a rest day yesterday anyway. Hadn't had one in awhile. And it's not the end of the world to have the weekend off and let my body rest. My team pool is also closed this weekend for a swim meet.

My upper back is really sore -- I'm assuming from the rack pulls. One day, it'd be nice to have sore abs instead of sore upper body ...

Still haven't sent in my Zone entries. Probably going to swim:

100 free
    50 breast
    50 back
    2 relays

50 fly
    100 back
    200 medley relay

Don't want to enter a lot of individual events. I'll be zonked enough from a 2 day meet. Plan on resting the 5 days after the meet for a SCM meet on May 3. Not sure I can recover in time, but we'll see. I've never swum meets on two weekends in a row before.

Updated March 29th, 2009 at 01:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Friday, March 20

by , March 20th, 2009 at 07:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just a quick swim today:

700 warm up

8 x 25, alternate backstroke shooter with nose clip and easy

50 easy

Backstroke start, lost nose clip, couldn't find it on bottom of pool, not going to use it tomorrow

10 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy

50 easy

4 x 25, alternate build free and easy

4 x 25, alternate AFAP free and easy

100 easy

Total: 1600

Felt crappy in the water today. Could be the effect of the unintended five day mini taper instead of the planned three day mini taper. Or maybe it's just the stressful week with kids with the flu and a hugely jam packed weekend, including JOs.

Will just swim the 100 fly and 100 back tomorrow. 100 back starts at 4:55 and I have to be at finals at 6:15. On a happy note, Mini-Fort who has struggled as a 13-14, made her sectional/quad A cut in the evilstroke this am. So there is happiness instead of teenage angst.

Hoping for a decent nights sleep.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast