The FAF AFAP Digest

My USMS Page:
http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
My team:
Rockwall Aquatic Masters ("RAM")

1. Sunday, May 20

by , May 20th, 2012 at 07:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

10 min on bike
    RC exercises, 20 min
    explosive leg press, 210 x 3 x 12
    push press, 60 x 4 x 6
    good mornings, 55 x 1 x 6, 65 1 x 6, 70 x 2 x 6
    reverse preacher curl, 30 x 2 x 10, 40 x 1 x 5 (tweaked my left elbow)
    low row, 90 x 2 x 8, 100 x 2 x 6

standing power wheel roll outs, 10
    regular PW roll outs, 25
    PW pike ups, 2 x 10
    reverse scoops w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    altitude drops, 3 x 5
    med ball slams, 2 x 10 (just using 8 lb ball right now)

Foam roller/Stretching, 20 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I meant to go for an easy 1000 swim afterward, but I forgot my suit. The hammies and upper oblique muscles were sore from yesterday's lunging and twisting. Certainly didn't need to do any lunges or squats today. Hoping to get in a speed workout tomorrow. I think my own HIT workouts may be too hard for me if I'm just concentrating on 50s. Though I suppose some 75s and broken 100s would help deal with the non kick problem of long course.
  2. Sat., May 19

by , May 20th, 2012 at 11:49 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Heated Vinyassa Flow, 90 minutes

I ventured to Down Dog in Herndon for a heated flow class. http://downdogyoga.com/. It's so different than bikram. I'm not sure I could do either one exclusively without getting bored. I felt like I was lunging my azz off. I also made sure not to "cheat" myself out of the back bends and chuckled when the instructor said we had to do core work because we "don't get that elsewhere in our lives.". My balance was a bit off and I was better at the bikram type poses.

I finally got some info on the Cleveland meet after emailing someone from the Erie website. It sounds dubious and disorganized to me. They haven't been able to post the info on the USMS website, there's no sanction #, they don't say they'll submit times to USMS, there's no email for the meet director, and the order of events is beyond bizarre (see below). I can't even register on line for the meet b/c I have a mac. The last time I mailed in a registration, it was somehow "lost." And who knows if they know what a split request is in the hinterlands ... The meet will likely be small and run fast, so I would need to use one, I'm sure. Given these facts, I may have to opt for Omaha. If I do, I have to decide if I travel Friday and do the 4 50s on Sat & Sun (50 free as a 100 split) or travel Thursday to get a 100 back split in the 200 back. I think backstroke is the only 100 I can manage long course.

Going to head to the gym today.

SATURDAY, JUNE 30, 2012 EVENTS MAY NOT BE REPEATED ON SUNDAY
    1. 50 m. Freestyle ____________ 10. 200 m. Freestyle ____________
    2. 50 m. Backstroke ____________ 11. 200 m. Backstroke ____________
    3. 50 m. Breaststroke ____________ 12. 200 m. Breaststroke ____________
    4. 50 m. Butterfly ____________ 13. 200 m. Butterfly ____________
    5. 400 m. Indiv. Medley ____________ 14. 200 m. Indiv. Medley ____________
    6. 100 m. Freestyle ____________ 15. 800 m. Freestyle Relay XXXXXXXXX
    7. 100 m. Backstroke ____________ 16. 800 m. Freestyle ____________
    8. 100 m. Breaststroke ____________ 17. 1,500 m. Freestyle ____________
    9. 100 m. Butterfly ____________
    (Do not enter both events 16 and 17)

SUNDAY, July 1, 2012
    18. 400 m. Freestyle No Deck Entry 27. 200 m. Indiv. Medley ____________
    19. 200 m. Butterfly ____________ 28. 100 m. Breaststroke ____________
    20. 400 m. Free Relay XXXXXXXXX 29. 50 m. Backstroke ____________
    21. 100 m. Backstroke ____________ 30. 100 m. Butterfly ____________
    22. 50 m. Freestyle ____________ 31. 200 m. Free Relay XXXXXXXXX
    23. 200 m. Breaststroke ____________ 32. 200 m. Freestyle ____________
    24. 200 m. Medley Relay XXXXXXXXX 33. 50 m. Breaststroke ____________
    25. 50 m. Butterfly ____________ 34. 200 m. Backstroke ____________
    26. 100 m. Freestyle ____________ 35. 400 m. Medl

Updated May 20th, 2012 at 02:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  3. Solid, Friday, May 18

by , May 18th, 2012 at 03:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY, mostly with Speedo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters
    6 x 25 burst + cruise
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

6 x 50 AFAP @ whatever

1 = double shooter w/MF
    -- 19 low
    -- Speedo filmed this for That Guy. But my computer refuses to download the invalid image. wth. I think Speedo will have to use his own phone when filming!
    -- I then watched Speedo lay down a 23 mid 50 free from a push after not swimming this week. Clearly, training in the pool is optional for him.
    200 EZ

Edit: The MF vid downloaded on a second try. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNrL...ature=youtu.be
    I also have a vid of Pete's 23 50 free:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvxx...ature=youtu.be

2 = fly w/fins, 23 low to mid
    -- Speedo popped a 50 fly and went a 27 low. Another new event?
    175 EZ

15 minute chat break w/Speedo and then he retired to hot tub, buoyed by his training is optional swim.

25 EZ

3 = breast, 28 mid
    -- meh, not getting any pop on the evil right now
    150 EZ

4 = fly, 22.9-23.0 ()
    150 EZ

5 = dolphin kick w/MF and board
    -- fin flew off my feet when turning
    -- must need superglue
    150 EZ

6 = double shooter w/MF, 19 mid
    150 EZ

10 x 50 w/parachute @ 1:30
    1-5 = 25 breast pull + 25 EZ back kick
    6-10 = 25 back shooter + 25 EZ back kick
    -- really wanted to do free w/paddles, but didn't want to chance it yet with the shoulder
    -- shoulder pain is the one thing that makes me uncharacteristically risk averse
    100 EZ

Total: 2900

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vastly better effort than yesterday! I hope that helps the doldrums pass. Stud and I were discussing earlier how HIT training can be mentally challenging and leave you wanting a break.

Now for the interesting bits.

1. I am training with a soon to be triathlete. Yes, Speedo needs a new project for the summer so is entering an xterra tri in June. I feel I can announce this on my blog since he is a blogger has been.

2. Like Speedo, I am feeling in need of a summer project. I am uninspired by long course right now and it is ill-suited to my kick dominant swimming. But I feel the need to do something other than swim this summer and should have plenty of time to do so with my one meet in just 5 weeks. (Still no word on details for Ohio meet.) But what? Sadly, my now ridiculously floppy ankles don't take kindly to running. And after 3 major ankle sprains during my swimming years ...

3. Speedo and I were entertained today (usually we're annoyed) by an 89 year old noodler. Typically, she scolds Speedo for splashing her cataract implants. But today she regaled us with her snacking habits which, if she didn't follow, she'd be "farked." Speedo agreed that she'd be "farked" and we were both impressed by an 89 year old lady cursing like a truck driver. Something to aspire to! Speedo and I also agreed we'd be "farked" if we attempted to race long course right now.

4. I may go to yoga at 6:00 pm. Wondering if it will feel dreadful after months off ...

Updated May 18th, 2012 at 10:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Blah, Thursday, May 17

by , May 17th, 2012 at 04:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    (or maybe only 6?)
    50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:30
    odds = double shooter w/MF @ 100+ pace
    -- went high 20s or 21 flats
    evens = easy dolphin kick w/board

10 x 50
    odds = breast @ 200 pace @ 1:30
    evens = DPS free @ 1:00

-- decided to bag it during this set

100 EZ

Total: 2450

Got woken up early by jackhammers in the neighborhood. Stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way to the pool due to a lane closure. Blah. I was just uninspired, and got out of the pool early. Hopefully, I'll be ready to rock 'n roll tomorrow. This is first "phone it in" workout I recall doing in months. I'm not driving up to Philly tonight; I need a travel break. I could also use a break from Teen Fort.

Updated May 18th, 2012 at 03:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wed., May 16

by , May 16th, 2012 at 03:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC, 20 minutes
    low row negatives, 80 x 4 x 8
    leg extensions, 100 x 4 x 8
    leg abductors, 120 x 1 x 8 (forgot to do other sets, distracted by 2 phone calls at the gym)
    skull crushers, 50 x 4 x 8
    extreme angle step ups w/BB, 40 x 3 x 10
    extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00 (hurt shins)
    altitude drops, 2 x 5
    TRX squat jumps, 2 x 10
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 20
    ropes, 2 x :30 fast

Stretching, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No time for a swim today. Had to do more prom shopping with Teen Fort after her AP exam.

I've decided I don't like having a focus long course meet in the early summer. May to mid June are just crazy busy for me. It's hard to buckle down and train in May right after SCY Nats and in the midst of craziness.

Importance of sleep: I need more!
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...-swimmers.html
  6. Tuesday, May 15

by , May 15th, 2012 at 04:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10

12 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :35-40
    -- 6 back, 6 belly

Speed Sets:

1 x 50 AFAP double shooter w/MF
    100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    3 breast: 13 high, 13 low, 13 low
    3 back: 11 flat, 10 high, 10 high
    2 free: 10 highs

no break

8 x (25 AFAP shooter w/MF + :10 break + 25 EZ) @ 2:00
    -- high 8s & 9 flats

200 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly
    -- 23 mid
    -- cramped

200 EZ

Total: 2950

Had another fantastic weekend in New England. After a lackluster dual meet season, Fort Son's frosh light boat (see pics below) made the grand final at the Eastern Sprints. Definitely peaked at the right time, beating some teams that previously had beaten them. All the races were thrilling to watch with Harvard taking the overall title. But all this travel is exhausting, and I never sleep well when I travel. I may skip the Stotesbury Regatta in Philly next weekend and instead go to Nationals the following weekend (Teen Fort's boat qualified this weekend). I need a travel break! And I have Lil Fort's sports events to attend anyway.

I arrived home too late yesterday to hit the pool, which resulted in 3 days off. No big deal, I guess, but I've only gotten in 8 swims since Greensboro. I felt a bit odd/awkward doing a sprint workout today, but was determined to get back on track. I'm still lacking any enthusiasm for long course. I'm either going to attend the Spire long course meet on June 30-July 1 (fantastic new pool), http://www.lelmsc.org/, or Omaha. That leaves me only 4 weeks to train before tapering. I really won't be able to get in any long course conditioning as my team's weekday practices conflict with Lil Fort's track practices and that and school aren't over until mid June. So I'm just going to focus on speed, speed, speed and the four long course 50s. I'm waiting for the entry form to come out for the Spire meet before deciding. Assuming it comes out shortly ...

Updated May 15th, 2012 at 04:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181356_3992697341737_1410004981_69090490_1954487329_n.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	6831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	6832  
  7. Gym + Swim, Friday, May 11

by , May 11th, 2012 at 04:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises, 10 min
    resisted lunges w/belt on cable machine (ripped off from Coughlin), 45 x 1 x 15 each leg, 55 x 1 x 15 each leg
    resisted track start jumps, 45 x 1 x 10
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 8, 50 x 1 x 8, 55 x 1 x 8
    push press, 50 x 3 x 8
    reverse barbell preacher curl, 30 x 3 x 8
    altitude drops, 3 x 5
    med ball slams in racquetball court, 5 x 8, various

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

550 various
    4 x 50 fly drills
    6 x 25 shooters w/MF

Main Sets:

1 x 100 dolphin kick w/MF, fast @ 90ish%
    -- went :47
    100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP
    -- went :23 low
    -- whew, still have speed despite farting around for a couple weeks post Nats
    150 EZ

30 x 50 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- this is the Allen Stark set
    -- sort of a variant on the ultra short distance training, but with both active and passive recovery
    -- heart rate elevated the whole time
    -- didn't take any masters minutes

1-10 = dolphin kick on back w/MF
    11-20 = fast hands breast w/fins
    21-40 = dolphin kick w/board & MF
    100 EZ

Total: 2900

Shook off my alleged wimpiness from yesterday! I was able to get in both drylands and a swim after persuading Mr. Fort that we should leave on Saturday not Friday for the Eastern Sprints (college rowing championships) outside Boston. I'm unfortunately going to miss Teen Fort's state championships here. But her boat is undefeated and should win. And, besides, I'll be traveling to Philly next weekend to watch her race in the Stotesbury Regatta. I feel like I've been traveling my ass off lately. And not to exotic locales like Q.

Still treading cautiously in the gym. My shoulder/scapula/neck feel somewhat better after the second round of PRP. But I am still somewhat nervous about the upper body weights wrt elbows & shoulder and will ramp those up very slowly.
  8. Dead from Deadlifting, Thursday, May 10

by , May 10th, 2012 at 03:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

RC exercises, 20 min

Stretching/Yoga, 25 min

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise
    50 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP back w/fins
    -- went :51
    -- better than I expected

400 IG

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins
    -- :54
    -- ugh, slow, had to swim through calf cramp

300 IG

1 x 50 AFAP breast
    -- 28 mid

200 IG

Total: 2200

I woke up and everything hurt from Tuesday's drylands. Deadlifts seem to suck the life out of me. Maybe it's also accumulated fatigue from re-starting drylands. It made me less than enthusiastic to swim, and I was tired in the water. I had forgotten how rotten that feels ... Perhaps I should have saved this Speedo type workout for Friday instead and gone to yoga.

I still have no plan for this season. Very unusual for me not to have a plan wrt either swimming, drylands or meets. Hopefully, after some more cogitating, my brain will spit out something soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  9. Technical Difficulties, Wed., May 9

by , May 9th, 2012 at 03:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x 50 fly drills
    6 x 25 shooters w/MF
    75 EZ

Main Sets:

MF Report:

I made TWO attempts at the 225 MF today, both foiled. The first was ruined by the fin falling off my right foot about 85 yards in. See Speedo's vid of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InbX1...ature=youtu.be. However, as the clock shows, I was out in 22 high being very conservative with the UWs. I should have stopped at the wall and adjusted the fin in retrospect. My second attempt, the iPhone apparently went to sleep and Pete couldn't get it back on video from picture mode. He tried to stop me, but I thought he was trying to slow me down for James' sake. I was almost 140 in when I realized the video wasn't running. At that point, my legs were dead, especially with yesterday's deadlift fiesta, so I wasn't making another attempt.

In full disclosure, I cruised a 2:06 last week, which Speedo can confirm. So I knew I would likely be faster today, especially starting with a 22 high. My splits last week were 52/1:00/14. Jimby had made reference to me having done a :52 in a 100 MF before. I'm not sure where he got that ... might have been from a couple years ago even. But I've laid down quite a few 19s in my AFAP 50s lately (did James know this?), so I'm sure I'm much faster now. I may try once again, but right now my 2:06 beats James' very fine 2:10. Power of the MF! I must say doing a 225 MF for time just kills a sprint workout. Couldn't do much after.

Anyway, the workout:

1 x 80 MF for time, fin fell off
    120 EZ

1 x 140 for time, Pete finally got my attention and stopped me
    60 EZ
    hottub, 10 min

100 EZ

10 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    50 EZ

8 x 25 burst + cruise
    50 EZ

2 x 50 w/stretch cordz, hold for :30
    -- These blasted me. After weeks of tapering, I'm not in the best condition.
    125 EZ

Total: 2550

Enough of this farting around with D work, time to get back to sprinting!

Will try to stretch and do RC work later.

My lack of motivation for LCM continues ... I leave Saturday am for another weekend away, this time outside Boston for the Eastern Sprints. So I probably won't swim over the weekend. Two weeks of kind of sketchy training.

Updated May 9th, 2012 at 04:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Tuesday, May 8

by , May 8th, 2012 at 03:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises, 10-15 min

Deadlift:
    warm ups
    95 x 1 x 1 5
    115 x 1 x 5
    125 x 2 x 5
    135 x 5 x 4

altitude drops, 4 x 5

power wheel roll outs, 3 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    12 x 25 shooters w/MF
    5 x 50 fly drill
    5 x 50 breast drill
    100 EZ

Total: 1500

I channeled Jazz Feet today at the gym. I even limited myself to a single ab exercise! My neck and shoulder were too swollen and sore from the PRP yesterday to do any upper body work anyway. I just did a recovery swim afterward. Couldn't do much in the pool either

Since James was so kind as to post his video, I timed it with my iPhone. 2:10 is a super impressive practice time from a push. Kudos to James. Hopefully, my body will be ready to go tomorrow. Here's what Jimby had to say about James' time:

"That's going to be hard to beat. You need to swim 14.444 secs per 25, or just under 29 per 50, to stay up at this pace for 225 yards. I know you have swum 52 sec 100s with your monofin, and the "formula" for the 200 is to take you 100 time, double it, and add 8 seconds in you're a great middle distance swimmer. This would mean that theoretically you should be able to monofin your way to a 1:42 200. One more length at this pace would be 14 seconds, for an overall 225 time of 1:56. A comfortable smashing of James. However, we also suspect you are not a great middle distance swimmer, plus the formula above applies to people who can breathe. How fast are you kicking backstroke on the surface, breathing as you go? Do NOT swim this in the Pete von "Locked up" Loewe fashion! I think you'd be better off doing the first 7 lengths as a moderate warm up, then try for a fast last 100! And if, god forbid, you do happen to lose "on paper," I will help you use the Finnish formula in a way that will convince virtually ANY reasonable minded person that you did, in fact, win by a lot."

Updated May 8th, 2012 at 04:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. 10/30, Sunday, May 6

by , May 7th, 2012 at 10:59 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Dartmouth:

Only had about 55 minutes to swim. So I tried some ultra short distance training, and it packed a punch.

Warm up:

600 various
    12 x 25 shooters w/fins
    4 x 50 fly drills

Main Set:

Did all reps with an approx 10/30 second work to rest ratio:

16 x 25 breast dolphin, no pullout
    -- sprinted to about the 20 yard line and cruised in, rested on the wall until 30 seconds elapsed
    -- started losing DPS the last 4-5
    100 EZ

8 x 25 dolphin kick w/board & fins
    -- heart rate went up and stayed up right from the start on this set
    50 EZ

8 x 25 dolphin kick on back w/fins
    -- heart rate still up
    -- only stayed under 4-5 quick kicks and then kicked on back on the surface
    50 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 2200

Assuming I sprinted to the 20 yard line most efforts, that's still 640 yards of AFAP work in 55 minutes. It was somewhat mentally difficult to keep blasting away on short rest. And the times on my AFAP efforts were likely slower than when I'm doing 25s @ 3:00. This type of training is definitely most easily adapted to kicking where you can breath freely.

Off to PRP soon. Ouch.

I can't feel Saturday's weights.

Updated May 7th, 2012 at 12:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Saturday, May 5

by , May 5th, 2012 at 10:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Ahhhhhhh. ... The granite of New Hampshire is agreeing with me. It's in the 60s and sunny, some of my favorite weather. Having a fabulous time here. Hanging out with Fort Son, catching up with some friends, even caught a couple lectures -- President Kim (so charismatic!) and one on debunking myths in popular psychology (appealing to a skeptic). But the highlight of the weekend was going out in the launch with the freshman coach and a couple other parents. The frosh boats were racing the women's varsity boats and it was a great birds eye view. (Yes, the first frosh boat won after starting four lengths back.). I'm sunburn.

Took yesterday off. But managed to get in a workout at the gym today before the launch.

Drylands:

RC exercises
    Wide grip lat pulldowns, 60 x 2 x 8; switched to cyber machine, 90 x 2 x 8
    --wide grip is easier on elbows but harder on the shoulders
    Leg extensions, 90 x 4 x 8
    Explosive leg press, 190 x 4 x 12
    Cybex eagle row, 70 x 1 x 8, 90 x 3 x 8
    Reverse preacher barbell curl, 20 x 4 x 8
    Skull crushers, 50 x 4 x 8
    Push press, 40 x 2 x 10
    Single leg squat w/DBs, 35 x 2 x 8 each leg
    Knee tuck jumps, 10
    Captains chair leg raises, 3 x 20

Ellipse, 20 min

Foam rolling, 10 min

-------------------------------------------------

I honestly haven't thought through a drylands strategy for the summer months. It didn't really seem to hurt my swimming much to have omitted the upper body weights. But I still think my shoulders are happier when I do them though. I'm also not very psyched about long course this year. With the meets so early, there's hardly a traditional season. And I'm busy this month; I don't feel very focused. It's probably too soon after Nats to really feel that way. Plus, I'm still in rehab mode with second round of jabs coming.

Brunch with Fort Son and a quick swim tomorrow, and it's back home.
  13. Saturday, May 5

by , May 5th, 2012 at 10:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Ahhhhhhh. ... The granite of New Hampshire is agreeing with me. It's in the 60s and sunny, some of my favorite weather. Having a fabulous time here. Hanging out with Fort Son, catching up with some friends, even caught a couple lectures -- President Kim (so charismatic!) and one on debunking myths in popular psychology (appealing to a skeptic). But the highlight of the weekend was going out in the launch with the freshman coach and a couple other parents. The frosh boats were racing the women's varsity boats and it was a great birds eye view. (Yes, the first frosh boat won after starting four lengths back.). I'm sunburn.

Took yesterday off. But managed to get in a workout at the gym today before the launch.

Drylands:

RC exercises
    Wide grip lat pulldowns, 60 x 2 x 8; switched to cyber machine, 90 x 2 x 8
    --wide grip is easier on elbows but harder on the shoulders
    Leg extensions, 90 x 4 x 8
    Explosive leg press, 190 x 4 x 12
    Cybex eagle row, 70 x 1 x 8, 90 x 3 x 8
    Reverse preacher barbell curl, 20 x 4 x 8
    Skull crushers, 50 x 4 x 8
    Push press, 40 x 2 x 10
    Single leg squat w/DBs, 35 x 2 x 8 each leg
    Knee tuck jumps, 10
    Captains chair leg raises, 3 x 20

Ellipse, 20 min

Foam rolling, 10 min

-------------------------------------------------

I honestly haven't thought through a drylands strategy for the summer months. It didn't really seem to hurt my swimming much to have omitted the upper body weights. But I still think my shoulders are happier when I do them though. I'm also not very psyched about long course this year. With the meets so early, there's hardly a traditional season. And I'm busy this month; I don't feel very focused. It's probably too soon after Nats to really feel that way. Plus, I'm still in rehab mode with second round of jabs coming.

Brunch with Fort Son and a quick swim tomorrow, and it's back home.
  14. MF Gridge Prep, Thursday, May 3

by , May 3rd, 2012 at 04:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Partly with Speedo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters
    8 x 50 fly drills

Main MF (Monofin) Sets:

-- all dolphin kick on back

2 x 25 shooters
    1 x 50 up tempo w/ MF

1 x 225 cruise for time,
    Went: mystery time
    I will note that this time was 14 seconds faster than Speedo, who put an MF for the first time and cruised a 225 as well.
    75 EZ
    hot tub w/Speedo

1 x 200 cruise
    Went: stopped at 150
    cramp and legs were going wtf
    maybe the hot tub wasn't the smartest idea
    100 EZ

1 x 150 cruise
    100 EZ

1 x 100 cruise
    (hmm, this was the same time as the first 100 of my 225, reflecting my weeny sprinter endurance)
    100 EZ

1 x 50 up tempo
    100 EZ

4 x 50 @ 200 pace @ 1:00
    50 EZ

4 x 50 breast @ 1:05
    50 EZ

Total: 3100/2200 kick

I'm still crashing and hungover from the event. Though this is fairly normal for me after a big travel meet. I'm wondering if I should have done 3 x 1500 this week. Felt dreadful in the water today, like I was sinking. Still decided to persevere and give the legs a workout. I think they were in shock both from the kicking and hypoxic element. Plus, they were a bit sore from my first drylands yesterday in a month. Still, I feel confident about the upcoming gridge. 8 kicks the first 25 and 7 kicks thereafter.

I will be dry tomorrow. I'm heading up to Dartmouth tomorrow for parents weekend. Can't wait to see Fort Son; it's been a long time.

Ultra Short Distance Training:

Wanted to post a couple articles on ultra short distance training that Kevinj posted on my blog. (Might have posted the first one before, can't recall.) Next short course season I will likely shift into even more ultra short distance training and race simulation and bag lactate sets.

http://www.fcnm.org/kubrt4.pdf

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/energy39.pdf

Check out this quote:

High-effort-level event-specific training can be performed using very short work bursts and brief
    rests. Not only is the total volume of relevant work increased, but so is the volume of specific high intensity
    work-quality maintained. Neuromuscular patterning of a competition-specific nature can be
    enhanced. Research in this area puts to rest the claim that traditional swimming training, which
    produces high levels of fatigue with high levels of lactate and glycogen depletion, is a "good"
    training experience. Such training reduces the volume and quality of potentially beneficial training
    that could be performed, and therefore, should be viewed as detrimental to possible adaptation,
    certainly when compared to what can be achieved with ultra-short training.

Updated May 3rd, 2012 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Back to the Gym, Wed., May 2

by , May 2nd, 2012 at 05:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises, 15 min
    (and did 15 min last night)
    flutter kicks on bosu, 10
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25
    good mornings, 55 x 1 x 10, 60 x 2 x 10
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 12
    extreme angle goblet squats on stacked steps, 35 x 3 x 10
    seated narrow grip row negatives, 60 x 4 x 10
    leg abductor, 90 x 3 x 10
    skull crushers, 40 x 3 x 10

Started off light with the weights. Still won't be doing much upper body lifting until after a couple more cycles of PRP. My next set of jabs is Monday.

Didn't have time for a swim today. But I am powering up my MF for some practice tomorrow in preparation for my gridge with James next Wednesday. Trash talking aplenty can be found here: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20616"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame].

Still feeling tired from last weekend's travel/swim extravaganza. Think I just need a couple more good night's of sleep.
  16. Vids & Recovery Swim, Tuesday, May 1

by , May 1st, 2012 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I did almost the exact workout from the HIT forum today:
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=265890#post265890"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

WORKOUT #1: RECOVERY

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :20 RI

Main Sets:

6 x 250 @ :15-:20 RI

200 flutter kick w/board & fins + 50 scull
    2 x (200 IM drill + 50 kick)
    200 backstroke kick + 50 scull)
    2 x (200 stroke + 50 kick)
    -- 1 backstroke, 1 breaststroke
    50 EZ

6 x 75 kick @ :20 RI
    25 shooter + 50 kick

100 EZ

Total: 3150

-- Still pretty tired from travel/meet/sleep deprivation. Last night was the first really good night's sleep I'd had in ages.

VIDEOS:

50 BACK, 27.24

Elaine filmed this and got a very close up view. (Thanks!) I know Speedo and Water Rat have views from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRuV...ature=youtu.be

My start was somewhat flat. I need to work on flicking my toes, I guess. I counted 9 & 10 strokes on the first and second 25s (not counting the free pull on the turn) and 15 kicks on both lengths. Hit the 15 meter mark on the first length perfectly, though I can hear Elaine worrying that I'd kick past it. (I hear that on all my 50 back vids. ) I can't tell how close to the 15 m mark on the second length I was because of the close up. As Speedo mentioned to me, I did veer off toward the lane line going into the first turn, but managed to return to the center off the turn. Still a bit shellshocked that I went a 27 low. Teen Fort's high school team would love me on their medley relay. Ha!

50 Fly, 26.31

Here is Stud's vid. It shows I have a pretty darn good lead coming off the turn for a 50.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0joOc_twk"]Leslie 50 Fly 2012 Nats - YouTube[/nomedia]

100 Fly, 1:02.2 (29.4/32.3)

Stud and Elaine video'd this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBIe...ature=youtu.be
    (I think Stud needs to make this viewable.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKrW...ature=youtu.be

I'm in lane 6. I had a great start, right at the 15 meter mark, just barely legal. I had a terrible god awful first turn with a huge glide, which was a bit demoralizing Susan William mentioned this to me right after the race, and Elaine's video shows it in all its glory. My second turn wasn't much better either. I think this was partly due to a lack of mental focus for this race and partly due to the fact that I swim it once a year and thus don't have kick/stroke counts. I cruised the first 3 lengths worrying about the piano and trying to rely on my SDK. The arms only started getting heavy the last few strokes. These splits, less than 3 seconds apart, are downright amazing for me. I've never done that before in the 100 fly. If this had been a focus race and I wasn't such a big nancy, I definitely could have gone out faster. Next time, I'd like to: (1) focus on snappy turns; (2) work the SDKs harder, (3) better breakouts, and (4) out slightly faster. But I felt poorly and fatigued on Friday. Under those circumstances, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around a 100 fly.

This is probably faster than the 1:11.3 that I swam in SCM at NE Champs. And it is a second faster than last year, which is nothing to sneeze at. I do think, however, that there is a limit on how much I can improve in this event. This is definitely my "fake it" event. First, I just can't train a lot of fly or develop real fly conditioning. (Though before the shoulder pain hit, I was doing some fast broken 100s flys in practice.) Second, since I didn't start masters until 44, I am just lacking an aerobic base from the 24 year hiatus which my competitors are not. It appears that very few women over 50 even want to swim this event; entries are always quite low. Maybe this event just becomes harder with age. Thoughts on this anyone? That said, I still think I can do a 1:01 again on pure HIT training. More monofin work!

One hilarious thing: I took at peek at KPN in lane 5 like an 10 & U! hahaha

100 Back, 1:02.61 (30.3/32.2)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htje5QXh9cs"]Leslie's 100 back, 1:02.2, Greensboro Nats - YouTube[/nomedia]

This video confirms what I thought during the race -- my usual UW kick count was way off. I went 14-12-11-8. At Albatross I was 15-15-15-10. This definitely cost me time. I tried to take it out very controlled so I would have something coming home. But I felt tired with no leg power the whole race. KPN owned me on the last 25. I'm quite sure I can go faster on a better day. My splits were good, just too slow. I should definitely be out in a mid to low 29. That's about what I went out in at the Albatross meet, converted. I could also tell that I flopped some on the start with my foot slipping slightly. Psychologically, that's a bad way to start a race.

For reference, this race is .62 off what I swam at Atlanta in a Jaked and my second fastest time ever, faster than another B70 swim. I know I have a PR in this event in me.

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 08:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29

by , April 30th, 2012 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2: Rest

This was a super fun day! I had a blast watching the racing and filming friends' events. It was definitely the right call to scratch the early 100 IM. I had a decent night's sleep Friday night after several consecutive nights of insomnia had left me feeling fatigued and zombie like, and was able to rest and reboot for my focus events on Sunday. In fact, as I mull it over, planning a sleep in on the middle day of Nats might be an ideal future strategy for me for 3 day meets!

Scratching is underrated for the likes of us diva HIT sprinters. I did catch a bit of flack for this, which seems odd to me. So make no mistake about one thing: I am not a trained show pony. I will always do what I personally consider is the right course given my body, health and the circumstances.

I do see some future SCY 100s with my name on them. Though my times on Friday were solid, I know I underperformed and can go faster. I'll choose one of them to focus on for the Sprint Classic next October, which is always my first SCY meet.

Day 3: Boom!

50 fly, NR/PR, 26.31

Yowsa, that's fast! I couldn't believe it. This was my third sub 27 when I never thought I'd break 27 again. I executed fairly well. Most importantly, I hit my walls. I may have had a slightly slow reaction time, which is unusual, but I had a fantastic underwater and breakout on the first length -- maybe my best ever. I stayed under longer than I did at Zones. The second breakout was a bit choppier. And my last couple strokes were a bit slow as I lifted my head slightly to peak at the wall trying to time the finish right. Still so unbelievable psyched about the race. It was also the second fastest 50 fly of the meet.

There is a side angle video of the race (no youtube link) on my Facebook wall that Stud took. I think Speedo and Water Rat also filmed the race from above. So hopefully they'll upload it to youtube. Thanks for filming guys! Stud also contributed a huge save. I couldn't locate my Aqua V dome cap shortly before the race (probably left it in the warm up pool in another dumb blonde moment) and he ran off to purchase one for me. It is slightly different and fits better. So now I'll be a white head in all my videos.

Here's Water Rat's vid:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyWQkEwjVs"]Fort's NR 50 Fly at USMS Nats 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]

I also got to meet Mike Sheaves, one of my HIT trainees immediately after the race. He gave me a big congratulatory hug and then swam his own PR. Very cool.

50 back: NR/PR, 27.24

Over the moon about this time too! Again, I had very very good execution. SDKs felt powerful, turnover fast, I came up just before the 15 m mark on the first 25 and hit the finish perfectly. The only slight flaws that I could detect were that I was somewhat flat on the start and could perhaps (not sure) have done one more kick before the second breakout. As with my 50 fly, this was the second fastest overall time of the meet. Honestly, though, of the two swims, I have to think this time is superior. I used to swim fly on our medley relays as a age grouper and my one year of college swimming, so I'm not sure that I've ever done a faster dead start 50 back. Training for fast SDKs is clearly the smartest thing I've done as a masters swimmer.

I haven't watched this race on video. But I think that Elaine and either Speedo or Water Rat filmed it.

So things started off a bit rough at nationals, but ended with a bang. 2 NRs and swam under the NR in the 100 back. Overall, I could not be happier with my SCY/SCM season to date. And I had a fantastic time at Nationals. Swim folk are simply the best. It was great fun watching the racing and seeing my friends and HIT trainees swim PRs, and then hitting the restaurants for beers and food. (I did eat red meat. )

I am still undecided on Omaha. If I go, I think it will just be for two days for the four 50s on Sat & Sun. I won't be able to do much long course training with an early July date.

As for this week, it's all recovery. I'm wiped. Kicking off the week with acupuncture this afternoon.

Records broken at Nats:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ts%20on%20Show

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 06:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  18. Day 1, Mixed Bag

by , April 27th, 2012 at 05:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mixed bag on day one. No sleep last night, maybe 2 hours, and AF arrived this am. Disappointing start to the meet. The same thing happened at Auburn, where I swam fairly poorly. As a result, no power. That's how it goes sometimes. I've had a good season and there will be other nationals.

100 fly, 1:02.2

I was solidly in the lead at 15 meters after going 14.5 underwater. I tried to swim the race very conservatively to avoid a big piano. Splits 29.3/32.8. These are good for me. I really didn't die the last length much. Execution, meh. Breakouts mediocre and turns glidey. Still, I was perfectly happy with this time considering. It's my second best as a master, best without the floaty suits.

100 back, 1:02.6

I'm sure no one will be surprised I'm disappointed with this time. It's much slower than my coverted time from the Albatross meet. Legs were dead and I didn't execute well. My left foot slipped on the start and I flopped a bit, though I recovered pretty well and went about 14 meters underwater. And I couldn't stay underwater nearly as long as I did in the Albatross 100; my kick count was way off. Last time, 15/15/15/10; this time 14/12/10/7-8. No leg power. Not how I envisioned this race. Almost an even split, factoring in the start, which may partly be due to the slip. Out much slower than in March. But still it was slightly under the NR and my second best time after my Jaked swim in Atlantain 2010. . I'm sure I'll be more psyched about it later.

------------------------------------------------------

The pool and facility are VERY nice. My only slight quibble is that the lanes were not very wide with the course set up as 10 lanes. They're wider at Mason. I grazed my hand on the lane line on the 100 fly.

It was fantastic hanging out with everyone, meeting some new folks and watching the fast swimming!

I am really hoping for some sleep tonight. I have some real accumulated sleep debt and feel cruddy. I think I'm scratching tomorrow and hopefully will feel better on Sunday. I think it is also possible, given my reduced cross training, that I'm slightly overtapered. Too many confounding factors to really know though. Peace love, swimming.

Updated April 28th, 2012 at 11:14 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  19. Day 1, Mixed Bag

by , April 27th, 2012 at 05:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mixed bag on day one. No sleep last night and AF arrived this am. Disappointing start to the meet. The same thing happened at Auburn, where I swam fairly poorly. As a result, no power. That's how it goes sometimes.

100 fly, 1:02.2

I was solidly in the lead at 15 meters after going 14.5 underwater. I tried to swim the race very conservatively to avoid a big piano. Splits 29.3/32.8. These are good for me. I really didn't die the last length much. Execution, meh. Breakouts mediocre and turns glidey. Still, I was perfectly happy with this time considering. It's my second best as a master, best without the floaty suits.

100 back, 1:02.6

I'm sure no one will be surprised I'm disappointed with this time. It's much slower than my coverted time from the Albatross meet. Legs were dead and I didn't execute well. My left foot slipped on the start and I flopped a bit, though I recovered pretty well and went about 14 meters underwater. And I couldn't stay underwater nearly as long as I did in the Albatross 100; my kick count was way off. Last time, 15/15/15/10; this time 14/12/10/7-8. No leg power. Not how I envisioned this race. Almost an even split, factoring in the start, which may partly be due to the slip. Out much slower than in March. But still it was slightly under the NR and my second best time after my Jaked swim in Atlantain 2010. . I'm sure I'll be more psyched about it later.

------------------------------------------------------

The pool and facility are VERY nice. My only slight quibble is that the lanes were not very wide with the course set up as 10 lanes. They're wider at Mason. I grazed my hand on the lane line on the 100 fly.

It was fantastic hanging out with everyone, meeting some new folks and watching the fast swimming!

I am really hoping for some sleep tonight. I have some real accumulated sleep debt and feel cruddy. I think I'm scratching tomorrow and hopefully will feel better on Sunday. I think it is also possible, given my reduced cross training, that I'm slightly overtapered. Too many confounding factors to really know though. Peace love, swimming.
  20. Wed., April 25

by , April 25th, 2012 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various
    4 x 50 fly drills
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters
    2 x 50 burst + cruise
    2 x (25 EZ speed + 25 EZ)
    50 EZ

Total: 1100

Hottub, 20 min

ART, 30 min

Had a tune up today. He worked on my calves and taped them up. They are still somewhat tight and cramping despite dumping copious amount of electrolytes in my system, foam rolling, sticking and getting a magnesium injection on Monday. My RBC magnesium levels are still too low. My body just doesn't seem to absorb it.

Because I wasn't with Speedo today, I had a brain fart. I walked down the stairs and failed to hot tub pre-swim. Speedo, Sprint Diva of the Week, remarked that I was "screwed. I attempted to ameliorate the situation by taking the elevator up. However, I foresee some tromping up and down stairs and coddling of Jimby that will soon be required.

Here are my events for Nats:

Event Seed Time
    #7 - 100 Butterfly 1:02.50
    #13 - 100 Backstroke 1:01.99
    #19 - 100 Individual Medley 1:03.70
    #25 - 50 Freestyle 25.30
    #37 - 50 Butterfly 26.79
    #41 - 50 Backstroke 27.46

I don't have any goal times. I already achieved goal times or beyond in my babies, the 50 back and 50 fly, this season. I'll just race and see what pops up. Probably still won't swim the 50 free unless I feel no shoulder pain after day 1 and get psyched for it. Interesting that my seed time was within .01 of what I swam at Zones. My seed times in the 100s are all faster than I've ever swam in a textile suit. I am a bad ass reverse sandbagger. The 100 IM seed time is a goal time of sorts, I guess, because it's right on the national record and would be a PR for me. That record will be long gone with the fasties entered anyway.

PEACE, LOVE, SWIMMING!!!
    (except for cranky Speedo who is now only talking to hands and Stud who has adopted a Charlton Heston voice)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts