http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Wed., Dec. 15

by , December 15th, 2010 at 08:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bad cold is raging.

Spent the day:

30 minutes = stretching/yoga (all I could muster)

2 hours online shopping

2 hours dragging myself through the mall

2 hours in high anxiety about Fort Son's pending Early Action application. Result: deferred to regular decision.

I guess it's much better to be deferred than rejected. Only 13+% are admitted early where Fort Son applied early action (Yale). 36+% rejected outright. Now we have to send off all the other applications and wait and wait. One of Fort Son's buddies got rejected EA from Stanford with almost perfect SAT scores and grades and he has the distinction of being an ultra runner and ironman triathlete. The competition is fierce these days! No matter, I am very proud of him. And I'm glad he came with me to Boston b/c he liked the schools there.

Next Meets:

My next meet will likely be the Albatross Open:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=2760.

I swim different events every year at this meet. Right now, barring another pre-meet flu issue, I think I may swim the 100 fly, 100 IM and 50 free. (Though it's always tempting to do the 4 x 50.)

Also thinking of cruising in late for this meet:

http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/TSentry2011.pdf

I was thinking of doing the 100 back for practice. I could even do it as part of the 200 back, if they have electronic timing. Not sure if they do at this meet.

Updated December 16th, 2010 at 12:21 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  2. Vid + Recovery Swim, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2010 at 04:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

100 easy

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    5 x back/belly/right side/left side

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

10 minutes hot tub

The showers weren't working and were frigid!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still pretty beat from the weekend. And the cold I was getting before is now in full force. Better now than at the meet, I guess. Hoping to go to yoga tomorrow. I seem to recall I have another PRP treatment this week as well. Finally heard of another swimmer (Nuthin But 50s) who's going to try PRP in lieu of surgery on his ACL.

100 back vid:

Stud video'd my 100 back (1:10.26) from NE Champs. Videos are always very revealing. I was underwater more than I thought despite the calf cramp. Even managed what looked like 9 SDKs on the last 25. My turnover seemed very slow and I was crossing over with my left arm. I don't usually do that. I was definitely lounging leisurely into my last couple turns. That could be party due to my unfamiliarity with backstroke flags set at 5 meters instead of 5 yards. Splits = 33.68/36.58.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlapHo1HHc"]YouTube - P1020994[/nomedia]

Same slow turnover from my 100 back in Atlanta (1:01.9), though I was underwater more there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube - Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

Tom Dolan Meet:

This was the first time in years I missed spectating and cheering at this meet. Fortunately, there was great coverage on swimming world tv. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../workouts/7540. Jack Conger's 1:43.1 200 back was amazing! I also liked comment that Janet Hu (NAG record holder and winner of the 100 fly here) trains frequently with a monofin. Mine is still awol.

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 07:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. NE Champs, Day 2, Dec. 12

by , December 13th, 2010 at 01:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2:

I was very tired after day 1's 250 medley and hoping for a "dead to the world" type sleep, but it was not to be. I was too hyped up and caffeinated. But this is typical during a meet for me. Headed over to the pool with SwimmieAvsFan for a leisurely warm up. I felt pretty smooth, though the legs were a bit leaden and fatigued.

100 back, 1:10.26:

I was fairly nervous for this event, much like the 100 fly. There were no flyover starts in backstroke at this meet, so I was a tad peeved when the starter decided to start my heat (the final one) with a swimmer still in my lane. Slightly distracting.

I had a slight cramp in my left calf on the start, which I'm sure was due to fatigue, as I had no cramping problems on day 1. But it wasn't too bad -- not nearly as bad as the cramp I had off the start in the 100 back in Indy last year. So I compensated by not kicking quite as hard or far underwater and not going out fast. The rest of the race was fine; I think I was somewhat lazy on my turns though. Splits were 33.68/36.58.

Given the wobbly start, I was very happy and surprised with my final time of 1:10.26. I had been hoping to break 1:12. Last year, I swam a 1:10.9 (B70) and 1:09.5 (Jaked, I think), so this was my second fastest time ever and very close to my super suit times, off by only .7 and I didn't have any cramping issues on my swim at Boston last year. According to the GBC converter, my time of 1:10.26 converts 1:01.56, which is actually .4 faster than my 100 back from Atlanta swum in a Jaked.

Stud video'd this race for me and I reviewed it on the camera. My arms looked like they were moving in super slow mo compared to my 50 backs until the final 25. (I noticed the same thing in my 100 back from Atlanta.) I don't seem to have a true 100 speed turnover. I suppose this is due to my fear of dying on these events. I think my 100s would benefit from a more aggressive approach. But I would have to train more specifically for it. I'll download the video later.

50 fly, 30.39

There was not much time between the 100 back and 50 fly - even Chris mentioned this. I would have preferred another 30 minutes of rest or so. I would even have gladly taken 2 hours.

I felt extremely tired during the race -- was just powering through it. Both breakouts were sub par, as confirmed by Muppet. Which is a bit disappointing because 3 out of 4 of my 100 fly breakouts were solid. But I had a fast turn and I nailed the finish with no glide at all.

Very happy with the time, which is 1.2 faster than I swam at the Albatross meet earlier in the year. It's still .7 slower than I went last year, but I think the suits effect the short axis strokes more. Using the GBM converter, this converts to a 27.3 in SCY, which is only .3 off my best time in a Jaked from Atlanta.

This time also lands me 2nd in the current event rankings behind the amazing SVDL, so I am thrilled with that!

Scratches:

I scratched the open 50 back and 100 free. Every muscle in my body was sore and aching by then and I didn't think I'd go any faster than 31.14 in the open 50.* (I think the winning time in that event was a 31.6.) Plus, the pool conditions/air quality were causing me sinus and wheezing problems (which are worse today, blech). And 6 events is plenty for a wimpy sprinter! I was amped-out. So I just relaxed for a couple hours, chatted and watched my friends' races before ravenously wolfing down real food and heading to the airport.

* Jimslie texted me that this time was the second fastest time swum in any age group so far this year in SCM.

Summary:

Last SCM meet in my current age group!

50 back, 31.14
    50 fly, 30.3
    50 breast, 38.9
    50 free, 28.77
    100 back, 1:10.26
    100 fly, 1:10.22

Very pleased with all the times. (Just wish I had gotten a 100 IM time.) I was hesitant about signing up for this meet initially since I only had about 4-5 weeks of really solid training before my 2 week taper. But I'm glad I did. I think I might have "drifted" too much in training without a goal meet to break things up. And now I'm ready to get back to some non-taper workouts. Though I may not get in much training this week with xmas looming - I am way behind. Plus, I have that nice post taper meet "hit by a mack truck" feeling.

It was pretty dicey getting back from Boston last night (torrential rain there and high winds here). SwimmieAvsFan and Muppet's flight was cancelled and they were stranded there. My flight was very delayed and I didn't arrive home until 1:00 am. But it was all worth it!

And Fort Son had fun tooling around Boston and checking out schools. I was happy he didn't get lost on the MBTA!

Unofficial Results:

http://www.vaswim.org/meets/results/...sults_2010.htm

And on those results is my split request from the 200 back. Whew. (I know I shouldn't stress about this, but I've had a couple splits almost go missing the last couple years.) Oddly, my time is the exact same time as last year, right down to the hundredth of a second.

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    ================================================== =============================
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    ================================================== =============================
    1 Luallen-Egg, Andrea 45 GSM-NJ 34.87
    2 Skrobis, Amy V 45 ABC-NE 37.52
    3 Delorey, Laura E 48 GWDM-NE 39.49
    4 Stokes, Karin E 49 GSP-NE 40.27
    5 Cheney, Jane E 49 GWDM-NE 46.45
    6 Zraket, Lisa 46 YNS-NE 47.38
    7 Barker, Joanne L 46 CMSC-NE 47.99

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    1 Livingston, Leslie 49 GMUP-PV 31.14Z

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 12:02 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. NE Champs, Day 1, Dec. 11

by , December 11th, 2010 at 10:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 1 went exceedingly well, better than I expected. I even managed to swim all 4 of my events today -- practically an ironman feat for me. . I'm now fairly flattened as a result.

100 fly, 1:10.26

So glad this was the first event of the day! My last pre-B70 time was a 1:12ish (I recall). Last year, in B70, I went a 1:09.8. I expected to go a 1:12-1:13 here, given the general 2 second time differential per 100 free SCY. Was shocked and thrilled with my 1:10.2, only .4 off my best. I tried to SDK a lot. Mollie said that, by 25s, I went 12-13 meters, 10 meters, 10 meters, 8 meters. I popped up a little early on the last length after a longish turn. Just needed some air. But otherwise my breakouts were solid and smooth. Had the usual last 10 meter piano, but at least didn't go vertical. This is my hardest event, and I don't really train for it in any conventional way, so I was pleased. Kicking saves me in this event. I think this time puts me 3rd in the overall rankings behind two new 45 year olds, if I recall the SPMA results correctly.

50 back, 31.14 (split on 200 back)
    (final 200 time, a blazing 3:20 )

If I wasn't typing on my iPhone I'd put in a bliss smiley here. Edit: My previous time from the Albatross meet was a 32.5, but I was hoping to go a bit faster based on the 28.1 I swam at the Sprint Classic on Oct. 24 after the bronchitis taper. Honestly, my secret goal, was to swim faster than 31.6, but anything can go wrong in a 50 and, as I previously said, I would have been pleased with anything under 32.

I executed reasonably well, but not perfectly. My hands were crossed (first time ever) on the start, which was slightly disconcerting. 14 SDKs on the start and 15 on the turn. There was a stroke & turn judge right at the 15 meter mark, so didn't take any chances on that front on the start. I was a bit too far from the wall on the turn and glided into the finish -- probably due to the 5 meter flags. No matter, I was very thrilled to stop, gasp for air, squint at the scoreboard and see the 31.14. Stud also had my split writ large on a piece of paper as I headed to the warm down pool -- very sweet. I had informed the referee (who stood over my finish) and both the women swimming next to me that I was doing a split, so that they were well aware and didn't have any angst. I did legally finish the race in a stellar time of 3:20, causing only a very minor delay of the meet. Did the second 50 double arm backstroke.

This is the same time I swam last year at this meet in a Jaked or B70 and should put me in the AA spot, unless there are other times I'm unaware of. This would be my first AA in the 50 back in SCM. I've ended up second on several occasions. So I'm ditching this age group on a high note!

I could happily have stopped swimming for the day at this juncture. I was happy and tired. (Veni, vici, vidi, in a manner of speaking.) But the day was long and I had plenty of rest so carried on.

50 breast, 38.9

Pretty happy with this time, especially since I was trying to be very conservative on the pre-kick and pulldown. Over a second slower than last year, but, like Allen Stark, I think swimming evil in a Jaked is like a different stroke entirely. This is still my second fastest time in SCM (out of only 3-4 swims, I think) and a much better effort than the 41.8 I turned in in LCM. Currently, this puts me in the number 3 spot. (Which rather confirms my thought that the speed suits make the mosy difference in evil.

SwimStud had an amazing 50 breast today, dropping two full seconds+ from last year! I wish I had video'd this, as he had awesome forward momentum, but it was right after my swim and I was gasping. I got his 100 breast the next day though.

50 free, 28.77

I was going to scratch this event. I really was. I haven't swum 4 events at a taper meet in eons. But decided it might be easier to do at the end of the day today than late tomorrow afternoon as a split in the 100 free. Happy with the time. It's .5 faster than I went at the Albatross meet, but still .5 off my B70 PB (which I did as the very first swim at BU last year). I had a quite sub par turn -- it was dark outside (5:00 pm or so) and that made it harder to pick up the wall without the light streaming through the windows. Still, I'll take it flaws and all!

Overall, I was extremely happy with the day. I'm worried I'll be bushed tomorrow. But hopefully a decent night's sleep will help. Tomorrow, I have the 100 back, 50 fly and 50 back. I'm scratching the 100 free. Depending on how I feel, I might not swim the 50 back again, as it would be my 7th event. I'm very very glad I put in a split request to get a time before the end of the meet! I hate it when 50 back is the last event when my legs are dead.

Updated December 13th, 2010 at 04:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  5. Friday, Dec.10

by , December 10th, 2010 at 02:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Didn't have time to get to the pool. Spent 30 minutes stretching in front of a soap opera. Hadn't seen one of those since law school.

Actually remembered to shave my legs today. That will no doubt make me .001 faster in the 50 fly.

My legs are still tired, so I'm vaguely worried that I didn't rest them enough. Other than that, and a few bumps and bruises, I'm ready to go!

Leaving shortly for Boston. Also remembered to put my skins compression tights on for the flight -- never done that before. It couldn't be colder in Boston than it is here ...

Final psych sheet by age groups:

http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10PsychByGroup.pdf

Updated December 10th, 2010 at 02:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  6. Thursday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2010 at 06:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various

2 x (15 bursts (free, dolphin kick) + 35 EZ)

2 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

4 x 25 shooters

100 back

100 free

Total: 1000

15 minutes hottub

Yoga/Stretching, 2 x 15 minutes

Commentary:

Felt pretty good today. Good DPS. Left shoulder is nagging a bit, but I think it's from tossing and turning while sleeping. Though I must admit I've shirked my RC exercises again. I'll probably just ice it tonight.

Quick posted this vid re: Nick Thoman on backstroke SDK on Speedo's blog and I just wanted to share it here as well:

Love that SDKs are for the "not so tall" and flexible." My height, or lack thereof, is usually such a disadvantage in this sport.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpN9fOGu9s"]YouTube - Underwater Backstroke Kick with David Marsh and Nick Thoman[/nomedia].

Need to finish packing. Hate packing, very tedious.

And very proud of my Mini Fort. At her volleyball banquet, she won Hardest Worker. She's currently playing lumbaro and outside hitter on her club team. Outside hitter -- despite her diminutive height. She has the highest vertical jump on her team. Shall we say sprinter?

I'm going to miss not seeing the Tom Dolan meet this year for the first time in years ... Not sure how many masters swimmers are there, but I know Wally Dicks tapered for it.

Updated December 9th, 2010 at 11:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wed., Dec. 8

by , December 8th, 2010 at 06:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Sets:

14 x 50
    odds = 25 EZ speed fly or shooter
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (15 burst dolphin + 35 EZ)

1 x 25 fast free + 75 EZ

1 x 25 fast breast + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 1750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Whoa, really got carried away with all that yardage today. Still didn't feel easy speed, but felt lighter in the water. I definitely have a case of the taper hypers -- got massive errands done today. Got more sleep, but have been waking up at 6:00 am (high schoolers are stirring at this time) and having trouble falling back asleep. This happens sometimes during taper, I guess. Trying desperately not to catch Lil Fort's cold ...

Big next couple weeks ...

3 days to NE Champs
    7 days until Fort Son gets probable early decision ding
    12 days until Mini Fort gets her drivers license
    not enough days to get xmas stuff done ...

Started stocking up/packing for Boston: gus, chews, energy drinks, electrolytes & efuel, extra nose clips, new pair of goggles, 3 tech suits, gluten free bagels ... My 2 Speedo kneeskins have seen a fair number of meets between Mini and me -- 4-5 for her and 3 for me. This means they're likely both pretty stretched out. Still, we plan on using these and my B70 kneeskin (one meet) as long as possible. I'm hoping they can last through NE Champs, high school champs meets, and the Albatross meet. I also have a Q suit that Roque kindly sent me, but it was awfully tight on top for me last time I tried it. May try it again and/or see how Mini likes the fit.

Has anyone used Endurance Excel? I bought it today by accident; thought I was picking up endurolytes.

Updated December 8th, 2010 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Tuesday, Dec. 7

by , December 7th, 2010 at 06:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Sets:

10 x 25 shooters

50 EZ

8 x 50 w/fins
    #1 = 15 meter burst dolphin kick on back + EZ
    #2 = 15 meter burst dolphin kick on belly + EZ
    #3 = 25 fast backstroke kick + 25 EZ
    #4 = 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ
    #5 = 25 fast free + 25 EZ
    #6 = 50 EZ
    #7 = 50 working on breast pullouts
    # 8 = EZ

Total: 1400

Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

No easy speed yet, but I think it's coming. Although it might not be until the weekend! Not too twitchy-b*tchy yet. I think the meet last weekend may have caused a delayed onset. Got more sleep last night, but woke up to the lovely sound of shattered ceramic. Our kitten likes to jump inside everything, even things she can't get out of.

Now I'm off to finish putting 3000 white lights on my tree.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday, Dec. 6

by , December 6th, 2010 at 07:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

100 dolphin dive

Total: 1050

10-15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Took another recovery day post meet. Plan on meet warm ups Tues-Fri. I had the blah feeling in the water that often hits after 1 week of tapering. But I may have just been tired. I had some food poisoning or a stomach thing last night and my youngest woke up with a nightmare that her kitty died. Hoping I can actually sleep tonight. There is also a sick hubby and sick kid in the house. It seems to be a challenge staying healthy for December meets ...

NE Champs Analysis:

I'm entered in:
    100 fly (11:11 am)
    200 back (50 split)(1:22 pm)
    50 breast (3:01 pm)
    50 free (3:57 pm)

100 back (11:15 am)
    50 fly (12:23 pm)
    50 back (1:43 pm)
    100 (likely 50 split, if I bother)(2:40 pm)

The 100 back and 50 fly are really too close for my taste. It takes me forever to recover from 100s. And I still wish the 100 IM had been better placed ... My plan for the 100 fly and 100 back is to dolphin kick hard off the start and every wall and easy speed above water. I'd like to swim 50 meters of the back underwater. Not sure I can do that in fly. Have to remember to breathe more in the 100 fly to sustain the hard kicking. Not really sure what to expect timewise.

In my 50s, I'd like to go under 29 in the 50 free, under 31 in the 50 fly and under 32 in the 50 back. I converted my 50 back time from the Sprint Classic (28.1) using the GBM converter and got a 32.0. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/convert.html. 4 seconds seems rather a lot going from short course yards to short course meters, doesn't it?

Here's my 50 back from NE Champs last year. I need to see, if I can, how many strokes and kicks I took. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube - Fort SCM 50 back[/nomedia].

In 50 fly, the current event rankings look slower compared to last year. Aside from wunderkind SVDL, no one's really come close to breaking 30 without the speed suits in my age group (and that happened in both SCM and LCM in 2008-09). I'm starting to think that perhaps the suits make more of a difference in the short axis strokes than the long axis strokes. (For me, as I've said before, the biggest hit is in breaststroke.)

By way of comparison, my times in a full body racerback Pro from this meet (from TT database) in 2007 are:

2007 Short Course Meters

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    4 W45-49 50 Free Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 28.75
    4 W45-49 50 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 33.24
    5 W45-49 100 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.91
    5 W45-49 50 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 31.37
    7 W45-49 100 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.18

I have good mojo in Boston. I've always swum well at this meet (and never been DQ'd!). Hopefully it can continue. I'd like to end 2010 on a good note. And, then, I look forward to AARP-ing up at my first meet in 2011.

Updated December 6th, 2010 at 11:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Sunday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2010 at 07:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a 30-35 minute slow continuous swim at my gym pool. I thought about doing some backstroke turns in meters, but I can tell the flags aren't set up right.

10 minutes in the whirlpool

Commentary:

My legs were tired from yesterday, and left calf feels slightly re-strained. I pulled out my compression tights to wear around today. No more backstroke starts this week.

Busy busy day of xmas decorating. I broke down and agreed to a real tree again, but only if we get an air purifier for the room. I don't want a repeat of last year.

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf

Looking forward to seeing the results of the SPMA meet. Bummed to see Allen Stark was deeked in the 100 evil.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Last Minute Meet, Sat., Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2010 at 03:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last Minute SCM Meet:

It's an odd feeling waking up late (8:15) and cruising into a meet mid way. I missed seeing some fast early swims, including Speedo's blazing 200 back (2:17). But I'm glad I got some start practice in before next weekend.

50 fly split on the 100, 30.7 (?)

Not sure about the official split. I'll have to wait for the results as the timing board was not in operation. Neill Williams very kindly timed my swim and gave me the following comments with which Speedo concurred: too shallow on start, poor breakout b/c of kicking on surface, great turn, good SDKs off turn (took 10, I think), bad finish, glided in big time, good speed, good stroke. I agree with all these points. I took 2 breaths on the second length, the second one really to sight the wall. I knew I was either going to have to glide or short stroke it. In my head, I wasn't too disturbed by this, as I considered this a practice swim. Hopefully, I can fix this at Boston. And I'm sticking with 2 breaths there as well.

Since I didn't really feel any of that elusive "easy speed" in practice or warm up, I was pleased with this approximate time. And, well, I hadn't even shaved. hahaha. I went a 31.5 at the Albatross meet in March so this time is better and can be knocked down a bit more (I hope) with another week's rest.

Swimming the second 50 was a bit of a chore. But I coffee breaked on the walls and Muppet waved to me at the 75.

Edit: My official split was 31.1, not surprising since hand timing is generally faster. I knew I took a major glide at the end (and was even wondering if I should bother to finish the 100), but I'm still glad I did and it was still faster than my previous time. I sometimes find it disconcerting to do split requests because thoughts of what to do after the finish always creep into my head.

25 free in the 200

I felt like I had a much better start -- the correct depth and 4-5 SDKs before I started churning. Did a fast turn, hit the wall well, and then just cruised the rest of the 50 and hopped out. (I had told the referee in advance to DQ me.)

Commentary:

I'm still kinda tired from that little bit of sprinting, and I'm glad I didn't swim any other events.

There was much fast swimming at the meet by all the usual PV suspects. I think Speedo PR'd all his events. I videotaped his 200 free. I'm not sure about the quality because I had just swum and wasn't holding the camera very still. The Little Devil chimed in on audio that Speedo got chicked on the last 50. By a very fast chick!

Link to Results: http://www.pvmasters.org/results/pv1210.htm.

I'm wondering if the SPMA meet has live results like last year?

Results are out for the NW Zones meet too: https://www.clubassistant.com/c/EBB7...%20results.pdf. Very fast times from Ellen Reynolds.

Interview with Dara: http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...an-Dara-Torres

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf -- my kind of meet: first event not until after 11:00 am and plenty of rest.

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 10:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  12. Friday, Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2010 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just hopped in for a meet warm up. I felt warmed up after about 20 minutes, which is surprising for me. I usually take awhile to loosen up, so I did a bit more anyway. Just did slow swimming, some one arm fly, 1 x build to fast free, 1 x fast back kick, and 2 x dolphin kick bursts. Sat in whirlpool afterward.

The women's locker room at my gym has been renovated. Sadly, though, they've done away with the steam room.

Felt better in the water today. Looking forward to the meet tomorrow. Of course, I'm not doing much so there's no pressure.

Good luck to everyone swimming this weekend at the various meets around the country!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, Dec. 2

by , December 2nd, 2010 at 06:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

6 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00

6 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

8 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ)
    odds = back
    evens = belly

50 EZ

Total: 1650

Commentary:

Just did a slow easy swim focusing on technique. No easy speed for me yet though.

About to head off to a banquet to open the high school swim season. Tomorrow night is the first meet. Good thing I checked the volunteer schedule, as I'm officiating. Pretty much a no brainer at these meets. Mini has expressed interest in re-joining a USAS team. We're mulling over what might be the right team/group fit for her. Not sure if will work with volleyball in the mix ... Some coaches are strict about the # of practices.

Psych sheets for the Last Minute Meet are out. There's almost 100 swimmers, and the usual fast suspects are there. I think it will be fun just to attend, spectate and do my wee sprints!

Nationals is on NBC at 3:00 on Saturday Dec. 11!

Livestream at: http://www.swimnetwork.com/

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 09:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wed., Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2010 at 09:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

4 x (4 x 50)
    4 single arm fly @ 1:00
    4 backstroke @ 1:00
    4 breaststroke @ 1:15
    4 free @ 1:00

5 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins, shooters on the 1st and 3rd 25 @ 2:00

50 EZ

3 x 50
    backstroke start & fast kick to 15 meters, then cruise

50 EZ

3 x (25 free + 50 EZ)

25 EZ

2 x (fast 50 breast + 100 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2750

Yoga:

Took Mini to the gym since, as a sophomore, she's not allowed to do weights with her high school team b/c she "is still growing." Hmm ... she's been the same height since 6th grade. Just as I have been until yoga grew me an inch. Anyway, I did 40 minutes of stretching while she pumped iron. And I'm feeling quite virtuous about it.

Commentary:

Felt sluggish as expected. Plan to shift into high taper mode tomorrow with a short slow recovery swim and a meet warm up on Friday. After the Last Minute Meet on Saturday, I'll just do a recovery swim on Sunday and then a meet warm up type swim the rest of the week until I leave on Friday.

I received an email from the primary contact at GBM confirming that the correction to my name had been made (despite the fact that the athlete entry list has not been updated). Whew. Still seems odd that there was no meet director listed on the meet info. You would think that would be a requirement.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 09:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Tuesday, Nov. 30

by , November 30th, 2010 at 09:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

32 x 50, done as:
    (did them all @ 1:00-1:15, depending on my level of interest and level of chatting with Pete)

8 x 50
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = breast

8 x 50
    odds = double shooter
    evens = front scull + burst doggy paddle

8 x 50
    25 overkick free + 25 EZ

8 x 50
    odds = russian breast drill
    evens = breast w/thumbs up recovery drill

(I believe I have the same stroke flaw that Allen Stark mentioned on the Breaststroke Lane thread about going too deep when lunging forward. Hence the KPN thumbs up breast drill. Breaststroke is the most awful confounding stroke ... I'm not sure why I bother without a coach sometimes, except that it seems to agree with my shoulders.)

100 EZ

4 x (25 burst/cruise + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2550

Commentary:

I was trying to focus on technique today, but I felt adrift. Once the word "taper" enters my brain, I become lazy and don't want to do anything in the water. Even sprints. I guess the benefit of this ennui is that I am truly resting. But I may also fall asleep in the water. And I felt like crap today and was cramping in my left calf and feet like crazy. Because I've been cramping since last week, I went back to my massage therapist this afternoon and had her work on my legs for 30 minutes. This will likely cause more sluggishness in the water tomorrow, but I will ignore it. I don't really care how I feel this week, and will endeavor (possibly unsuccessfully) not to micro-analyze it next week either.

And I am now shifting into annoyance over my entry for the NE Champs. I haven't received a response to either of my emails. There is no other contact info on the meet forms. I sent an email tonight to the primary contact for Great Bay Masters. Anyone else have any ideas as to how to get my name changed on the athlete/entry list? I don't really want to swim as Leslie Linngston!

I heard that there were only 519 entries at Long Beach this year after cracking 1000 last year. That's quite a drop for the meet that has been touted as the unofficial national scm champs ...

My daughter gets her driver's license in 21 days ... However, I have to admit, it may really make my life easier, especially with her doing 2 sports at the moment.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 11:38 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Monday, Nov. 29

by , November 29th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

40 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40ish

1-10= back
    11-20 = belly
    21-30 = right side/left side
    31-40 = twirling

10 x 50 @ 1:05
    odds = free with overkick
    evens = breast

50 EZ

Total: 2250

Commentary:

Just hopped in for some aerobic/hypoxic work today after a 6+ hour drive home yesterday. I find driving to be extremely tiring. I'm wondering whether I should even have done weights on Saturday ... No more from here on out. Shifting into taper mode.

I entered the Last Minute meet at almost the last minute. 100 fly (really 50) and 200 free (really 25 w/turn). I'm going to tell the referee in advance that I'm getting out on the 200. Last time I swam an event oddly (50 shooter instead of 100 free), the referee was extremely puzzled. I did succeed in finding my most stretched out suit with a partial hole to wear. I have an old TYR kneeskin that I guess I could use as well.

I still haven't seen the correction made to my name in the athlete entries for the NE Champs. Sent another email. I hate when they don't even list the meet director in the meet info or give other contact info.

I still need to dig up my split request forms too. I know I have the link on my blog. I just don't find the blog search function very helpful.

Apart from those minor details, I'm actually feeling pretty psyched for NE Champs. I don't have any specific goals other than to not do personal worsts and swim faster than I did at the Albatross meet. I would be happy if my 100 back & 100 fly were within 2-3 seconds of my times from last year.

Other SCM Meets:

Psych sheet for SPMA: http://www.lbgrunions.org/psychsheets.html

Results for NY/NJ Duel in the Pool:
    http://aquafitmasters.com/Events/112...uelResults.pdf

Ron Johnson results:
    Link in Patrick's blog: http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=12525

I know there were recent meets in FLA, UCLA and DAM as well.

This weekend: South Central Regional Champs, Last Minute Meet, and SPMA Meet.

Don't know about other age groups, but attendance in mine still looks somewhat down with some key players possibly MIA in SCM.

Updated November 29th, 2010 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sat., Nov. 27

by , November 28th, 2010 at 12:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Headed off to Sewickley again, though Jim and I were both rather tired after Friday night's effort.

Drylands:

Jim was naultilusing away, building brute strength. I herd the word "failure" mumbled several times. I stayed in the nautilus room with him instead of the free weight room. I just lifted lightly (tapering weights) and did 2 sets of 10 on the following Nautilus machines, some fast and some negatives for about 30 minutes.

bench press
    pullover
    bicep press
    leg press
    glute machine
    lower back
    mid grip row

Torso twists on yoga ball, 25
    windhsield wipers, 25
    long arm crunches, 25
    reverse scoops w/plate, 15

Yoga/Stretching, 25-30 minutes:

Felt pretty stretchy despite being lazy in this department over the holidays. And there was a convenient wall to crawl down into back bends.

Whirlpool w/Jim for 10 minutes.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

25 minute slow continuous swim. Would have done 30, but they kicked me out of the pool. Closing time.

Commentary:

I'm taking today off to make the long tortuous drive home to DC in mega traffic. Taking the back way to hopefully alleviate some of that. I'm fairly pleased that I got 3 good workouts in. Last year during this week, I also took 2 days off. Planning on a hypoxic/aerobic workout with perhaps a few wee sprints tomorrow.

Still haven't heard anything about the correction to my entry from the NE folks. If I haven't heard by Monday, I'll have to send another email.

Updated November 29th, 2010 at 01:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  18. Swim 2 @ Sewickley, Friday, Nov. 27

by , November 27th, 2010 at 03:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After a rigorous day of online shopping, pie eating and gin rummy, I ventured to Sewickley for a swim and dinner. Saw Mermaid, who I hadn't seen in a long while. Coach Bill provided a great workout as follows:

Warm up:

650 OMO (got there early with Jim)
    400, I alternated swims, pulls and kicks

2 x (6 x 100) @ 2:00
    #1 = EZ
    #2 = last 25 fast
    #3 = last 50 fast
    #4 = last 75 fast
    #5 = EZ
    #6 = 100 fast
    2:00 rest between sets or so, I did a 25 EZ

On round one, I did the fast bits fly. My 100 was around 1:02-3. Had to do some single arm fly to avoid crashing Jim. On round two, I did dolphin kick with a board on the first 5. The fast 100 I did backstroke kick, went a high 54. Crashed a bit on the bottom on the first 25.

I think there was something easy here, can't remember ...

2 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    #1 = EZ
    #2 = fast last 25
    #3 = EZ
    #4 = fast
    2:00 rest between rounds, I did a 25 EZ

First round was fly, second round was back kick. The fast 50s didn't seem terribly fast.

200 EZ

Total: 2900

Commentary:

This workout was likely just what I needed, and will probably be my last hard workout before NE Champs in 2 weeks. Jim and Bill and I were discussing the difference between a lactate threshold set and a lactate production set. Rich A. mentioned that he does one of each on alternating weeks. This felt like a "lactate production" set to me. (Not a true sprint set because there wasn't enough rest and not a LT set b/c I wasn't in pain the entire time.)

Had a lovely dinner at Jim's new Cafe with many of the Sewickley masters after practice.

As usual, not one drop of sunshine in Pittsburgh ...

Updated November 27th, 2010 at 04:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Swim @ Sewickley, Wed., Nov. 24

by , November 24th, 2010 at 10:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Sewickley:

After a 5+ hour drive, I made it to the one hour Sewickley Masters practice coached by Bill White. Shared a lane with Jim, who did some real sprinting tonight.

Warm up:

400 EZ OMO
    400, 50 swim/50 kick @ 6:00
    300 kick w/some shooters @ 5:30

Main sets:

6 x 100 @ 1:40
    (Jim went very fast free; I swam leisurely backstroke.)

12 x 50 @ :50
    This was a swim set, but I did it 25 shooter + 25 back kick instead. Only hit the bottom twice.

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    This was supposed to be a 25 build + 25 EZ. I did it 15 meter burst dolphin kick (no fins) on my back + rest EZ. Admittedly not done with quite the same ferocity as my ATP-CP set with Speedo yesterday.

4 x 50 fast @ 1:30
    I alternated fast-EZ. Wasn't up to 4 fast 50s. Went fly (25, ugh, cramped) and breast (31ish).

200 EZ

Total: 3100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt extremely sluggish in the water after yesterday's deep tissue massage and today's long drive. But I was so glad to get in the water and get some aerobic/hypoxic work in. Will take tomorrow off and then back to Sewickley on Friday. I may even do some drylands with Jimslie b/c he has re-commenced lifting. Shocking.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Swim w/Speedo, Tuesday, Nov. 23

by , November 23rd, 2010 at 10:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

900 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    various -- kick, swim, bursts, builds

ATP-CP Sprint Set:*

10 x 25 @ 1:00
    burst to the 15 meter mark
    did them all free

200 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    free w/fins = 11
    back shooter w/fins = 10
    2 x back w/start = 14s

10 x 50 aerobic @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

100 EZ

Total: 2900

*ATP-CP = the primary system for production of fast powerful movements:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_systems[/ame]

Commentary:

Loved the ATP-CP set! No lactic acid build up and plenty of rest to generate explosive movements on 1:00 interval. Agree with Speedo -- this set is a keeper. Plus, it's a good prelude to other sprint sets. I likewise agree we could easily have done a fast 50 at the end. But I've done so many fast 50s lately, I was happy to do the aerobic recovery set. And I'm glad we did that instead of the usual 200 EZ.

I missed the gym today. Probably won't get there until Friday. Even then, I think I'll just hit the upper body. Perhaps a few box jumps. But I think my legs need to start resting now.

Got a massage after the workout. Niiice! Had her pound away at my scapular area (which yoga doesn't seem to get all that well) and the legs. Calves were very sore. I'll probably feel poorly and sluggish at the Sewickley Masters practice tomorrow night. So I hope Coach Bill is just planning an aerobic workout.

Mini has done very well in her club volleyball tryouts this week. She is now a committed gym rat, as she feels like her serve/hits are much more powerful now that she's resumed drylands. I resist the urge to say "I told you so ..."

I need to sort through the family kneeskin collection. I need to find the stretched out Speedo kneeskin with a hole to wear at the Last Minute meet.

One another note, my chiro used my recent blood labs, especially the adrenal readings, as a test case at a recent functional medicine/nutrition for athletes conference. Have an appt scheduled to get further input.

Updated November 23rd, 2010 at 11:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts