The FAF AFAP Digest

My USMS Page:
http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
My team:
Rockwall Aquatic Masters ("RAM")

1. Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29

by , April 30th, 2012 at 01:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2: Rest

This was a super fun day! I had a blast watching the racing and filming friends' events. It was definitely the right call to scratch the early 100 IM. I had a decent night's sleep Friday night after several consecutive nights of insomnia had left me feeling fatigued and zombie like, and was able to rest and reboot for my focus events on Sunday. In fact, as I mull it over, planning a sleep in on the middle day of Nats might be an ideal future strategy for me for 3 day meets!

Scratching is underrated for the likes of us diva HIT sprinters. I did catch a bit of flack for this, which seems odd to me. So make no mistake about one thing: I am not a trained show pony. I will always do what I personally consider is the right course given my body, health and the circumstances.

I do see some future SCY 100s with my name on them. Though my times on Friday were solid, I know I underperformed and can go faster. I'll choose one of them to focus on for the Sprint Classic next October, which is always my first SCY meet.

Day 3: Boom!

50 fly, NR/PR, 26.31

Yowsa, that's fast! I couldn't believe it. This was my third sub 27 when I never thought I'd break 27 again. I executed fairly well. Most importantly, I hit my walls. I may have had a slightly slow reaction time, which is unusual, but I had a fantastic underwater and breakout on the first length -- maybe my best ever. I stayed under longer than I did at Zones. The second breakout was a bit choppier. And my last couple strokes were a bit slow as I lifted my head slightly to peak at the wall trying to time the finish right. Still so unbelievable psyched about the race. It was also the second fastest 50 fly of the meet.

There is a side angle video of the race (no youtube link) on my Facebook wall that Stud took. I think Speedo and Water Rat also filmed the race from above. So hopefully they'll upload it to youtube. Thanks for filming guys! Stud also contributed a huge save. I couldn't locate my Aqua V dome cap shortly before the race (probably left it in the warm up pool in another dumb blonde moment) and he ran off to purchase one for me. It is slightly different and fits better. So now I'll be a white head in all my videos.

Here's Water Rat's vid:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyWQkEwjVs"]Fort's NR 50 Fly at USMS Nats 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]

I also got to meet Mike Sheaves, one of my HIT trainees immediately after the race. He gave me a big congratulatory hug and then swam his own PR. Very cool.

50 back: NR/PR, 27.24

Over the moon about this time too! Again, I had very very good execution. SDKs felt powerful, turnover fast, I came up just before the 15 m mark on the first 25 and hit the finish perfectly. The only slight flaws that I could detect were that I was somewhat flat on the start and could perhaps (not sure) have done one more kick before the second breakout. As with my 50 fly, this was the second fastest overall time of the meet. Honestly, though, of the two swims, I have to think this time is superior. I used to swim fly on our medley relays as a age grouper and my one year of college swimming, so I'm not sure that I've ever done a faster dead start 50 back. Training for fast SDKs is clearly the smartest thing I've done as a masters swimmer.

I haven't watched this race on video. But I think that Elaine and either Speedo or Water Rat filmed it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So things started off a bit rough at nationals, but ended with a bang. 2 NRs and swam under the NR in the 100 back. Overall, I could not be happier with my SCY/SCM season to date. And I had a fantastic time at Nationals. Swim folk are simply the best. It was great fun watching the racing and seeing my friends and HIT trainees swim PRs, and then hitting the restaurants for beers and food. (I did eat red meat. )

I am still undecided on Omaha. If I go, I think it will just be for two days for the four 50s on Sat & Sun. I won't be able to do much long course training with an early July date.

As for this week, it's all recovery. I'm wiped. Kicking off the week with acupuncture this afternoon.

Records broken at Nats:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ts%20on%20Show

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 07:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Day 1, Mixed Bag

by , April 27th, 2012 at 06:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mixed bag on day one. No sleep last night, maybe 2 hours, and AF arrived this am. Disappointing start to the meet. The same thing happened at Auburn, where I swam fairly poorly. As a result, no power. That's how it goes sometimes. I've had a good season and there will be other nationals.

100 fly, 1:02.2

I was solidly in the lead at 15 meters after going 14.5 underwater. I tried to swim the race very conservatively to avoid a big piano. Splits 29.3/32.8. These are good for me. I really didn't die the last length much. Execution, meh. Breakouts mediocre and turns glidey. Still, I was perfectly happy with this time considering. It's my second best as a master, best without the floaty suits.

100 back, 1:02.6

I'm sure no one will be surprised I'm disappointed with this time. It's much slower than my coverted time from the Albatross meet. Legs were dead and I didn't execute well. My left foot slipped on the start and I flopped a bit, though I recovered pretty well and went about 14 meters underwater. And I couldn't stay underwater nearly as long as I did in the Albatross 100; my kick count was way off. Last time, 15/15/15/10; this time 14/12/10/7-8. No leg power. Not how I envisioned this race. Almost an even split, factoring in the start, which may partly be due to the slip. Out much slower than in March. But still it was slightly under the NR and my second best time after my Jaked swim in Atlantain 2010. . I'm sure I'll be more psyched about it later.

------------------------------------------------------

The pool and facility are VERY nice. My only slight quibble is that the lanes were not very wide with the course set up as 10 lanes. They're wider at Mason. I grazed my hand on the lane line on the 100 fly.

It was fantastic hanging out with everyone, meeting some new folks and watching the fast swimming!

I am really hoping for some sleep tonight. I have some real accumulated sleep debt and feel cruddy. I think I'm scratching tomorrow and hopefully will feel better on Sunday. I think it is also possible, given my reduced cross training, that I'm slightly overtapered. Too many confounding factors to really know though. Peace love, swimming.

Updated April 28th, 2012 at 12:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  3. Day 1, Mixed Bag

by , April 27th, 2012 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mixed bag on day one. No sleep last night and AF arrived this am. Disappointing start to the meet. The same thing happened at Auburn, where I swam fairly poorly. As a result, no power. That's how it goes sometimes.

100 fly, 1:02.2

I was solidly in the lead at 15 meters after going 14.5 underwater. I tried to swim the race very conservatively to avoid a big piano. Splits 29.3/32.8. These are good for me. I really didn't die the last length much. Execution, meh. Breakouts mediocre and turns glidey. Still, I was perfectly happy with this time considering. It's my second best as a master, best without the floaty suits.

100 back, 1:02.6

I'm sure no one will be surprised I'm disappointed with this time. It's much slower than my coverted time from the Albatross meet. Legs were dead and I didn't execute well. My left foot slipped on the start and I flopped a bit, though I recovered pretty well and went about 14 meters underwater. And I couldn't stay underwater nearly as long as I did in the Albatross 100; my kick count was way off. Last time, 15/15/15/10; this time 14/12/10/7-8. No leg power. Not how I envisioned this race. Almost an even split, factoring in the start, which may partly be due to the slip. Out much slower than in March. But still it was slightly under the NR and my second best time after my Jaked swim in Atlantain 2010. . I'm sure I'll be more psyched about it later.

------------------------------------------------------

The pool and facility are VERY nice. My only slight quibble is that the lanes were not very wide with the course set up as 10 lanes. They're wider at Mason. I grazed my hand on the lane line on the 100 fly.

It was fantastic hanging out with everyone, meeting some new folks and watching the fast swimming!

I am really hoping for some sleep tonight. I have some real accumulated sleep debt and feel cruddy. I think I'm scratching tomorrow and hopefully will feel better on Sunday. I think it is also possible, given my reduced cross training, that I'm slightly overtapered. Too many confounding factors to really know though. Peace love, swimming.
  4. Wed., April 25

by , April 25th, 2012 at 05:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various
    4 x 50 fly drills
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 shooters
    2 x 50 burst + cruise
    2 x (25 EZ speed + 25 EZ)
    50 EZ

Total: 1100

Hottub, 20 min

ART, 30 min

Had a tune up today. He worked on my calves and taped them up. They are still somewhat tight and cramping despite dumping copious amount of electrolytes in my system, foam rolling, sticking and getting a magnesium injection on Monday. My RBC magnesium levels are still too low. My body just doesn't seem to absorb it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Because I wasn't with Speedo today, I had a brain fart. I walked down the stairs and failed to hot tub pre-swim. Speedo, Sprint Diva of the Week, remarked that I was "screwed. I attempted to ameliorate the situation by taking the elevator up. However, I foresee some tromping up and down stairs and coddling of Jimby that will soon be required.

Here are my events for Nats:

Event Seed Time
    #7 - 100 Butterfly 1:02.50
    #13 - 100 Backstroke 1:01.99
    #19 - 100 Individual Medley 1:03.70
    #25 - 50 Freestyle 25.30
    #37 - 50 Butterfly 26.79
    #41 - 50 Backstroke 27.46

I don't have any goal times. I already achieved goal times or beyond in my babies, the 50 back and 50 fly, this season. I'll just race and see what pops up. Probably still won't swim the 50 free unless I feel no shoulder pain after day 1 and get psyched for it. Interesting that my seed time was within .01 of what I swam at Zones. My seed times in the 100s are all faster than I've ever swam in a textile suit. I am a bad ass reverse sandbagger. The 100 IM seed time is a goal time of sorts, I guess, because it's right on the national record and would be a PR for me. That record will be long gone with the fasties entered anyway.

PEACE, LOVE, SWIMMING!!!
    (except for cranky Speedo who is now only talking to hands and Stud who has adopted a Charlton Heston voice)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Mon & Tues, April 23-24

by , April 24th, 2012 at 03:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Monday:

500 various
    10 x 25 DPK shooters
    2 x 50 power kick + cruise
    50 EZ
    3 x 50 burst + cruise
    100 EZ

Total: 1150

Stretching/Rehab, 45 min

Tuesday:

500 various
    10 x 25 DPK shooters
    6 x 25 fly drill
    3 x (25 EZ fly + 25 EZ)
    2 x 50 burst + cruise
    1 x 25 up tempo back
    75 EZ EZ

Total: 1250

Rehab/Stretching/Foam Rolling, 30 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Met up with Speedo both days at Oak Marr for chatting and swimming. Hot tubing before and after each swim as well. I guess I feel OK in the water. Not doing enough to really tell, and not inclined to fret over it.

Instead, I am fretting over other things ...

1. In a real instance of taper madness and the power of suggestion, I had a dream last night that I dove in for the 100 fly on Friday and my legs didn't work. I was stuck underwater while everyone else was swimming. I think this was subliminally brought on by a comment Jimby made on FB. Pete was scolding me for taking the stairs and Jim replied that taking the stairs was a good thing b/c if you didn't use your legs for 48 hours, you'd lose 90% of your leg strength. He even cited an article. I have been, however, taking the stairs. My house makes abstaining from this impossible.

2. I am wondering if it's positive or negative that my worst/hardest sprint event, 100 fly, is my first event of the meet. Bad planning on my part perhaps. I almost wish it were last and that I could start out with something more innocuous (like 50 breast). I don't want it to set a bad tone for the rest of the meet. I've decided if I go faster than last year or near my PR, that will be just fine and dandy. And of course I always comfort myself with the fact that it is yards not meters.

3. I didn't sleep a wink last night, tossing and turning and having the above mentioned nightmare. This usually presages the fairly imminent arrival of what all women dread. That would be a lovely double whammy with allergies already afflicting me. Can't we have SCY Nationals in, like, the dead of winter instead?

4. I can't find stuff I need to pack. Grr ...

PEACE, LOVE, SWIMMING, PEACE, LOVE, SWIMMING, PEACE, LOVE, SWIMMING

Updated April 24th, 2012 at 11:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Back From Ban, Catchup, Monday, April 23

by , April 23rd, 2012 at 04:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Back from the verbal dueling ban! I read everyone's blogs while gone, but missed commenting on them. I did virtually nothing last week, and now the taper b*tchies have set in. I was somewhat worried that they took their time manifesting. It's also somewhat puzzling to me that I am not just hating this third week of taper ....

MONDAY:

Swim/SCY/Solo:
    40-45 minute slow post meet swim

Massage:
    Got a 90 minute deep tissue massage, which felt great after the meet. Since I seem to have trouble recovering from massages, I decided to do one 11 days out rather than the week before.

Commentary:
    I was sore from the meet despite only doing 5 x 50, and my shoulder/scapula could feel the ballistic sprinting. A friend also told me that acupuncture + cupping was the equivalent of a deep tissue massage (soreness, toxin release, etc). Since I did that on Thursday before Zones, that may explain why I felt so blah and tired both days. Lesson learned! None of that the week of a meet.

Hereís a vid of my 50 fly that SwimShark kindly took. I'm in lane 5, 4th lane from the bottom. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUnKJGsSW88&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]50 fly - YouTube[/nomedia]. As I thought, I should have stayed under a bit longer on the second length and had a subpar breakout. Happy to see a snappy start and turn though.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TUESDAY:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:
    600 choice
    12 x 25 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

5 x 50 torque drill (no paddles)
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    100 EZ
    5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    100 EZ
    16 x 25
    odds = up tempo @ :30
    evens = EZ @ :45
    200 EZ

Total: 2550

Acupuncture/Cupping, 60 min

Rehab/Stretching, 30 min

-- Felt sluggish as expected after yesterdayís deep tissue. I suspect Iíll feel this way until later in the week, especially after adding on the acu/cupping.

WEDNESDAY:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

16 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    -- 8 back, 8 belly
    50 EZ

4 x 50 fly drill @ :20 RI
    4 x 50 back drill @ :20 RI
    4 x 50 breast drill @ :20 RI
    100 EZ

Total: 1700

Commentary:
    Still sluggish in the water, as expected. I cancelled an ART appt for tomorrow, as I still feel beat up. Better to let the tissues rest, I think. Slightly concerned that there is no evidence of taper bitchies ...

THURSDAY:

I meant to swim today, but life got in the way. Teen Fort and I went in for Prometheus Celaic testing (antibody and genetic testing). Between appts with the gastro and being sent to the wrong lab, this took forever and F bombs were dropped. So the first evidence of taper bitchies may have come to the fore. Though I would have been highly annoyed in any event today.

FRIDAY:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:
    600 choice
    10 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:
    5 x 50 torque drill @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:15
    50 EZ
    10 x 25
    odds = up tempo backstroke
    evens = EZ
    50 EZ
    1 x 25 @ 90%
    free, 10 mid
    125 EZ

Total: 1950

Acupuncture, 45 min

Last acupuncture treatment before Nats. Skipped the cupping to avoid a deep tissue type effect. The acupuncture still made me feel sleepy. Shoulder/scapula feels much better though after 2 more treatments.

SATURDAY:

Gym:
    20 min rehab exercises
    40 minutes stretching

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym pool

500 various
    2 x 50 torque drill
    2 x 50 power kick to 15 m + cruise
    5 x 50 burst + cruise
    50 EZ
    12 x 25
    odds = up tempo
    evens = EZ
    100 EZ

Total: 1400 m

Commentary:

Taper b*tchies and jitters have hit! The bod still feels tired though. Iíve been trying to get a lot of sleep, but Iím not sleeping very soundly. Iím somewhat worried about getting up early 3 days in a row at nationals (where I likely wonít be sleeping well anyway). Iíd love to be able to sleep in Saturday, and wish the 100 IM were my afternoon event ... Events are earlier than I expected with 10 lanes being run. I just donít want to be exhausted by the time Sunday rolls around.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SUNDAY:

No swim
    Foam rolling, 10 min
    Allergies starting to really bother me with sore throat and chest congestion.

Updated April 23rd, 2012 at 05:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Zones, Day 2, April 15

by , April 15th, 2012 at 06:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I woke up this am still tired and with a sore shoulder. I made two immediate decisions:

1. I was scratching my individual events today. I had already decided not to swim the 100 IM, but added the 100 breast to the scrap heap as well. Nationals is 10 days away, I'm tired and there was no need to swim two 100s today. This is especially true since my shoulder/scapula aches after yesterday's sprints.

2. I won't swim the 50 free at Nationals. It's my 6th event anyway. I would rather stand on the 25.31 that I swam yesterday and was happy with. This is currently #1 in the event rankings and would have been AA last year. It will likely get knocked down a couple notches or so at Nationals with the very fast new 50 year olds. But that's fine. Freestyle is a very shoulder driven stroke; with my straight arm technique, there is even more torque on the shoulder. If I'm not swimming free at nationals, I can stop doing fast or AFAP 25 frees in practice and save the wear and tear. This seems like a no brainer. Happily, my 25.31 is faster than the 25.99 I swam leading off a relay at Zones last year.

So, I restricted my swims to two relays, going about 95% in each of them.

Mixed 200 free relay

Led off in 25.7 -- .4 worse than yesterday. I think it was mostly in the turn. I absolutely botched it. Pushed off way too deep and veered off to the side. My legs felt a bit like tassels as well. No matter, as I have the solid 25.31 time from yesterday. And our relay scored needed points. As I said yesterday, one year I would like to swim this race well rested. It always feels like a leftover after my other focus events or done on short rest.

Women's 200 medley relay

I swam the fly leg and split a 26.7. I was very pleased with this considering I was tired, went about 95% and took 3 breaths. (I only took 1 in the open race yesterday.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was supremely happy all day with my decisions, and got to watch a lot of other good races I just need to be smart, not greedy in these circumstances. And I did get some excellent start and turn practice with my 5 x 50s at this meet.

I do think the acupuncture & cupping helped last week as my shoulder/scapula felt pretty good on Friday. Right now, I am dreaming of ice, which I can't use with the PRP. But I have more body work scheduled this week. More importantly, I am shifting into major resting. Nothing more than a fast 25 or burst from here on out. My body is tired from months of HIT training and I need to rest rest rest and REST. I don't think I can get enough rest! And hopefully I can log some sleep.

I am still on a high about my 50 fly yesterday. That totally made my weekend. I can't wait to see the video. I feel like I've had such a good season. I just hope I can rest up and get mentally prepared for Nationals now. I've been feeling beat up lately and need to harness some excitement for the big show. Nursing these long term injuries seems to zap my mental energy. Maybe a case of the taper b*tchies will help.

I'm very proud of my Lil Fort. She ran a very fast 5K in Boston today on a hilly course by herself. (Previously, she's had Mr. Fort to pace her.) As for Mr. Fort, there is a heat advisory for the Boston Marathon tomorrow with a high of 90 expected. They are advising only the "most fit" to run and granting QT deferrals to run next year. Mr. Fort's training partner is abandoning hopes of PR-ing because he always cramps in heat. Mr. Fort is going to start out on pace and just see how he feels. It really sucks to train all that time and have ungodly heat in April, almost like getting sick for a taper meet or something.

I didn't get to say goodbye to Chowmi as I had to hang around for the very last relay. It was fantastic to meet her! And she swam really well. Her 200 back was impressive and she had a lot left the last 50.

I did get Speedo's 50 and 100 free, Jazz's 50 free and Chowmi's 50 free and will upload those shortly.

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 08:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  8. Zones, April 14

by , April 15th, 2012 at 10:17 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    200 mixed medley relay, 26.5:

We won the 18+ age group even with two geezers on the back half. I split a 26.5 on the fly leg. I was surprised by the split b/c I felt crummy in warm up (legs tired) and had horrible breakouts. (Jazz, Jimby and Pete all said it looked kinda crappy.) Not sure why the fatigue. I suppose it's partly due to the horrible sleep the last 10 days. It may also be allergies. My throat is sore and it's descending into my chest. Spring is tough for me, and I am hoping there's no downward spiral.

50 fly, PR/NR, 26.63

I had a couple hours before this event. Plenty of time to wake up some more and get mentally focused for the race. I wanted to execute better than on the relay, and I think I did. I felt like I had a quick start and my breakouts were clean. I probably could have stayed under longer on the second length. It was a fast heat with six women under 27.3. SwimShark filmed the race, and I will post the video later. I was extremely happy with the time, and so happy to get the NR now!!! 50 fly is the last day of Nationals, and I could be tired by then.

Women's 200 free relay, 25.31 lead off:

I only had about 20 minutes before the race, so I was still tired from fly. My diva sprinter body needs an hour+. I led off with a 25.31. Jazz said the race looked "tired." I felt a bit sloppy and inhaled a huge amount of water on my first breath. Still, that's a pretty solid time for me. I did put in a split request, and may rest on this time for the season. Maybe one season I'll work on this event. I can't remember the last time I swam it fresh.

Today, I'm just swimming the 100 breast and 2 relays. I don't have a 100 IM in me. I'm not mentally into this meet with Nationals looming. My shoulder felt better Friday, but is sore this am from the free/fly sprinting.

It was great hanging out with my visiting buddies and getting to meet Chowmi. She swam well in every event yesterday!

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 07:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  9. Friday, April 13

by , April 13th, 2012 at 06:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1000 EZ
    More hot tubing than swimming

Feed Jimby

Stretching and rehab on GMU pool deck with SwimmieAvsFan

Big hugs with Chowmi!!!!

Preparing to count for crazy distance swimmers.

Mega chatting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    10 x 25 DPK shooters @ :40
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 @ 1:30
    25 EZ speed free + 25 EZ @ 1:30
    -- went high 11 to high 12s
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 dolphin burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Total: 1800

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture, 45 min:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Stretching/Rehab, 30 min

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend. I spent a huge amount of time today on pain prevention ... I really hope one day soon I wake up pain free.

More importantly, how much is one supposed to fork over for a prom dress?

Attached is a pic of Fort Son's boat, the First Freshman 8. My son has some seriously styling boots.

Psych sheets for Colonies Zones:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm

Updated April 12th, 2012 at 10:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	559613_10150745395367389_620177388_9327649_1397999451_n.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6818  
  11. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  12. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Acupuncture, 45 min:

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Do Ice Baths Work, Part II:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...k-part-ii.html
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  13. Wed., April 11

by , April 11th, 2012 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    6 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:05
    50 EZ
    10 x 25
    odds = easy speed free @ :30
    evens = EZ
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    150 EZ

Total: 2100

Still feel kinda blah in the water. And had calf cramps for the third day in a row. I'm heading off for a massage shortly, so hopefully that will work out some of the kinks.

A friend sent me this link today:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...zine/30261.asp. I'm very honored to be a runner up. A friend asked "Who is Lynn Marshall and do we need a lead pipe?'' lol. I replied that she is very speedy and swims a zillion events, unlike moi.

I learned last night that Fort Son finally got a diagnosis after many many tests and feeling bad for almost 4 months: celiac disease. It certainly fits his symptoms and I'm cross with myself that I didn't think of it. I couldn't sleep last night due to worrying. I'm glad the hematologist he was seeing for low ferritin thought to test for it. I fed ex'd him a care package of gluten free goodies. He is bummed, but was getting very depressed about a lack of diagnosis and feeling like he was letting his teammates down. So knowing what is wrong is preferable. This is a real pita for a college student. No beer and pizza?! From what I can glean, he was doing well in my fairly gluten free kitchen, but the excess gluten + beverages at college may have been a tipping point. I already have appointments for my daughters to be tested next week.

On Friday, Mr. Fort is heading up to Boston for marathon weekend. He has been nursing some nagging injuries as well and is looking forward to cycling when it's over. He will get to see Fort Son's boat/team race Harvard on Saturday, Lil Fort is racing in the Boston 5K on Sunday and then Mr. Fort runs on Monday with his training partner. I am missing all that fun, but having fun with Jimby, SwimStud and Chicken of the Sea who arrive on Friday afternoon. I'll go out to Mason to watch them swim the distances events. I am heading up to Hanover to see my son the weekend after Nationals for parents weekend. I haven't seen him since Xmas since he was with his team on a training trip over spring break. I really miss him.

I really really need some sleep. That would likely zap the blahs.

Updated April 11th, 2012 at 05:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday, April 10

by , April 10th, 2012 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins
    16 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    odds = back
    evens = breast
    100 scull
    100 EZ

Total: 2150

Stretching/Yoga/Rehab, 45 min

Had nothing in the pool today. Legs felt really heavy. I had 5 vials of blood taken right before the workout, which didn't help. And my 8:00 pm speed workout last night was too close to this one, I fear. Or else the dread allergies are taking over ...

But no big deal -- Il Garbagio was on the menu anyway! Will sprint some tomorrow and then just cruise for a couple days for Zones. Or I may just cruise tomorrow too; my body is screaming for recovery. Plenty of speed work to be had over the weekend.

There are 443 swimmers entered in Zones with the entry deadline tonight. Looks like I'm at my usual 33% rate for end lanes. I considered reverse sandbagging the 100 breast, but I wasn't sure I'd go faster than my current seed time. At least at Nationals where they seed by age group, I won't be in an end lane.

I was notified that I was PV Female Swimmer of Year in meters, which is pretty cool.

Updated April 10th, 2012 at 09:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Monday, April 9

by , April 9th, 2012 at 11:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

Off, as usual.

Sunday:

Pool & Gym closed.
    Did 45+ minutes of rehab, stretching and yoga

Monday:

Nighttime Swim/SCM @ Gym:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    4 x 100 back/breast @ 2:00
    50 EZ

Speed Work:
    -- with fins

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

16 x 25
    odds = EZ speed free, emphasize kick
    evens = EZ
    -- couldn't see the pace clock from one end. did these as 50s on about 1:30
    50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast
    -- 31ish
    -- mega calf cramp
    100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ) @ lots of rest

100 EZ

Total: 2650 meters

Had a long drive back from Pittsburgh. Couldn't leave until after lunch and ran smack into rush hour traffic. I got home just in time to drive swim team carpool. Went to my gym while Lil Fort was there. I was super lucky to get a lane and the pool was 84 instead of 86. So I got more in than the stretch out swim I had expected. Everything felt very cranky during the car ride, but better after the swim. Had quite a few calf cramps during the workout, but I have a long overdue magnesium injection on Wed. I'm also doing a body work trifecta this week to try to speed healing of the shoulder/neck or at least manage it through Nats -- acupuncture, massage and ART. I am still hoping to go to Omaha in July. But I'm going to punt any definitive decision and purchasing of plane tickets until mid May. May looks to be a crazy month; I'm traveling every weekend. Speaking of that, I need sleep! I sleep like crap when I travel.

Updated April 9th, 2012 at 11:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday IG, April 6

by , April 6th, 2012 at 06:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/w/Jimby:

20 x 50 @ :55

10 x (75 EZ + :10 RI + 25 fast) @ 2:00
    -- I did nothing fast
    -- most was breast-back kick-breast-back kick (no backstroke flgs at one end)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:20
    -- supposed to be 25 hard + 25 EZ
    -- I just did easy kick

10 x 50 EZ @ :55

Total: 2900

Rehab/stretching, 40 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I should definitely not have done a speed workout yesterday. That was 3 between Mon-Thurs. My left side is barking at me some now. Planning to take the weekend off anyway. But it could be kind of a sideways or recovery week this week if it doesn't feel better, which hopefully it will. I have had a vey hard three weeks of training since the Albatross meet. Need to taper; glad it's here!

Updated April 6th, 2012 at 10:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Thursday, April 5

by , April 5th, 2012 at 04:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    5 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI

Speed Sets:

125 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    1 = breast, 12 high
    2 = free, 10 low
    3-4 = shooters, 8 high-9 flat
    50 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 5:00
    1 = fly, 22 low to mid
    2 = fly back, 23 low
    3 = breast, 27 mid
    4 = dolphin kick w/board, 23 high-24 flat
    5 = flutter kick w/board, 24 mid
    25 EZ

Total: 2900

I would have preferred to have done Garbagio today and speed tomorrow. But I will be at the Sewickley Y tomorrow around lunch and fear I would not be able to get in a quality workout. So today it was, despite the fatigue. My times were actually very good. Long drive up to Pittsburgh now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Wed., April 4

by , April 4th, 2012 at 06:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (20 min)
    explosive leg press, 170 x 4 x 12
    low row negatives, 50 x 3 x 10
    total ab machine, 90 x 2 x 25
    leg extensions, 70 x 3 x 10 fast
    goblet squats, 25 x 1 x 15
    resisted start track jumps, 40 x 1 x 15
    altitude drops + squat jump, 2 x 6
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    captains chair leg raises, 3 x 20

Stretching/Foam roller, 20 min -- will do more later

Last day of drylands! Good thing too, as I'm feeling creaky. Tweaked my lower left back last week with all the good mornings and squats one workout, so I've mostly avoided those this week.

Heading up to Pittsburgh for the weekend. Will swim some with Jimby on Friday. Probably take the rest of the weekend off except for rehab exercises and stretching.
  19. Tuesday, April 3

by , April 3rd, 2012 at 05:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters @ :40ish
    5 x 50 fly @ whatever

-- lots of chatting with Speedo who had arrived earlier

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

-- Was slightly worried about my planned timed efforts as I could feel the fatigue from yesterday's hard speed work and was cramping a bit on the bursts. Went ahead anyway and did better than I thought I would.

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 52 high
    -- Fin was falling off on the 3rd 25. Had to stop and make an adjustment at the turn. This pissed me off and cost a lot of time. So I decided to do another.
    250 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 51 high
    250 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast dophin w/fins, 27 mid
    200 EZ

Total: 2350

ART, 35 min

Doc was impressed I had recovered quickly from the PRP. The neck is still somewhat tender, probably more nerves there I guess.

In retrospect, I should have flip flopped my Monday and Tuesday workouts. I was really feeling yesterday's effort and the quads were burning. Still, those are definitely the fastest 100 flys I've done in practice by a good margin. I'm not sure, but I think my previous best was a 54. Even if you add a whopping 15 seconds or so for fins (which seems very generous), that second one would convert to a 1:06 from a push. I went 1:03.1 the only time I swam it last year. In general, I've been doing a lot of practice PRs since January.

Signed up for Zones with seed times from the last time I swam the events. Decided not to bother with the 100 free. Will do the 200 relays. Hoping to get a 50 free split on one of the free relays. Maybe the girl's relay on Saturday.

Swim Meet Events
    Event
    Number Gender Distance Stroke Time Date
    23 Female 50 SCY Fly 0:26.79 04/14/2012
    33 Female 100 SCY IM 1:04.10 04/15/2012
    43 Female 100 SCY Breast 1:15.90 04/15/2012
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  20. Monday, April 2

by , April 2nd, 2012 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

550 various
    15 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    8 x 25 belly shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

100 EZ

100 EZ

3 x (AFAP double shooter w/MF + 150 EZ)
    -- 18 high, 18 high, 19 flat

8 x 25 fast BA @ 1:00
    -- flutter kick w/fins
    -- 10 highs-11 lows
    100 EZ

8 x 25 breast dolphin w/fins fast BA @ 1:00
    -- 12 high-23 lows
    200 EZ

Total: 3550

Forgot that the pool would be full of scores of classes and kids. Did manage to score a solo lane in the deep end for the AFAP 50s with the monofin, but that was it. Will likely go to Oak Marr the rest of the week; there are more lanes there. I can't do sh*t in 4-5 foot deep lanes.

Still waffling on Zones entries. As I told chowmi, the key thing is not to swim so many events that I'm exhausted for a few days afterward. And I have little interest in a lactate workout that close to nationals. I will do 4 relays -- the 200 mixed medley, 200 womens medley, 200 mixed free, 200 womens free. I'm inclined to enter: 100 free (may scratch or cruise), 50 fly (too fun to miss with lots of fast chicks and chowmi), 100 IM (focus event) and 100 breast (for fun). There will likely be some 90% efforts involved. I wish I had more rest before 100 breast ... I had thought about doing a split request in the 200 breast, but that's next to the 50 fly.

Estimated timeline: http://www.patriotmasters.org/2012.C...d.Timeline.pdf

I'll do 30 minutes of rehab and stretching later.

Note: Mr. Fort recently read (I think in a bike mag) that compression pants have been shown to help runners (eccentric movement), but not bikers (concentric movement) despite all bikers thinking they do.

Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 09:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts