http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Monday, Dec. 6

by , December 6th, 2010 at 07:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

100 dolphin dive

Total: 1050

10-15 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Took another recovery day post meet. Plan on meet warm ups Tues-Fri. I had the blah feeling in the water that often hits after 1 week of tapering. But I may have just been tired. I had some food poisoning or a stomach thing last night and my youngest woke up with a nightmare that her kitty died. Hoping I can actually sleep tonight. There is also a sick hubby and sick kid in the house. It seems to be a challenge staying healthy for December meets ...

NE Champs Analysis:

I'm entered in:
    100 fly (11:11 am)
    200 back (50 split)(1:22 pm)
    50 breast (3:01 pm)
    50 free (3:57 pm)

100 back (11:15 am)
    50 fly (12:23 pm)
    50 back (1:43 pm)
    100 (likely 50 split, if I bother)(2:40 pm)

The 100 back and 50 fly are really too close for my taste. It takes me forever to recover from 100s. And I still wish the 100 IM had been better placed ... My plan for the 100 fly and 100 back is to dolphin kick hard off the start and every wall and easy speed above water. I'd like to swim 50 meters of the back underwater. Not sure I can do that in fly. Have to remember to breathe more in the 100 fly to sustain the hard kicking. Not really sure what to expect timewise.

In my 50s, I'd like to go under 29 in the 50 free, under 31 in the 50 fly and under 32 in the 50 back. I converted my 50 back time from the Sprint Classic (28.1) using the GBM converter and got a 32.0. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/convert.html. 4 seconds seems rather a lot going from short course yards to short course meters, doesn't it?

Here's my 50 back from NE Champs last year. I need to see, if I can, how many strokes and kicks I took. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube - Fort SCM 50 back[/nomedia].

In 50 fly, the current event rankings look slower compared to last year. Aside from wunderkind SVDL, no one's really come close to breaking 30 without the speed suits in my age group (and that happened in both SCM and LCM in 2008-09). I'm starting to think that perhaps the suits make more of a difference in the short axis strokes than the long axis strokes. (For me, as I've said before, the biggest hit is in breaststroke.)

By way of comparison, my times in a full body racerback Pro from this meet (from TT database) in 2007 are:

2007 Short Course Meters

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    4 W45-49 50 Free Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 28.75
    4 W45-49 50 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 33.24
    5 W45-49 100 Back Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.91
    5 W45-49 50 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 31.37
    7 W45-49 100 Fly Leslie Livingston 46 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:13.18

I have good mojo in Boston. I've always swum well at this meet (and never been DQ'd!). Hopefully it can continue. I'd like to end 2010 on a good note. And, then, I look forward to AARP-ing up at my first meet in 2011.

Updated December 6th, 2010 at 11:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sunday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2010 at 07:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a 30-35 minute slow continuous swim at my gym pool. I thought about doing some backstroke turns in meters, but I can tell the flags aren't set up right.

10 minutes in the whirlpool

Commentary:

My legs were tired from yesterday, and left calf feels slightly re-strained. I pulled out my compression tights to wear around today. No more backstroke starts this week.

Busy busy day of xmas decorating. I broke down and agreed to a real tree again, but only if we get an air purifier for the room. I don't want a repeat of last year.

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf

Looking forward to seeing the results of the SPMA meet. Bummed to see Allen Stark was deeked in the 100 evil.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Last Minute Meet, Sat., Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2010 at 03:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last Minute SCM Meet:

It's an odd feeling waking up late (8:15) and cruising into a meet mid way. I missed seeing some fast early swims, including Speedo's blazing 200 back (2:17). But I'm glad I got some start practice in before next weekend.

50 fly split on the 100, 30.7 (?)

Not sure about the official split. I'll have to wait for the results as the timing board was not in operation. Neill Williams very kindly timed my swim and gave me the following comments with which Speedo concurred: too shallow on start, poor breakout b/c of kicking on surface, great turn, good SDKs off turn (took 10, I think), bad finish, glided in big time, good speed, good stroke. I agree with all these points. I took 2 breaths on the second length, the second one really to sight the wall. I knew I was either going to have to glide or short stroke it. In my head, I wasn't too disturbed by this, as I considered this a practice swim. Hopefully, I can fix this at Boston. And I'm sticking with 2 breaths there as well.

Since I didn't really feel any of that elusive "easy speed" in practice or warm up, I was pleased with this approximate time. And, well, I hadn't even shaved. hahaha. I went a 31.5 at the Albatross meet in March so this time is better and can be knocked down a bit more (I hope) with another week's rest.

Swimming the second 50 was a bit of a chore. But I coffee breaked on the walls and Muppet waved to me at the 75.

Edit: My official split was 31.1, not surprising since hand timing is generally faster. I knew I took a major glide at the end (and was even wondering if I should bother to finish the 100), but I'm still glad I did and it was still faster than my previous time. I sometimes find it disconcerting to do split requests because thoughts of what to do after the finish always creep into my head.

25 free in the 200

I felt like I had a much better start -- the correct depth and 4-5 SDKs before I started churning. Did a fast turn, hit the wall well, and then just cruised the rest of the 50 and hopped out. (I had told the referee in advance to DQ me.)

Commentary:

I'm still kinda tired from that little bit of sprinting, and I'm glad I didn't swim any other events.

There was much fast swimming at the meet by all the usual PV suspects. I think Speedo PR'd all his events. I videotaped his 200 free. I'm not sure about the quality because I had just swum and wasn't holding the camera very still. The Little Devil chimed in on audio that Speedo got chicked on the last 50. By a very fast chick!

Link to Results: http://www.pvmasters.org/results/pv1210.htm.

I'm wondering if the SPMA meet has live results like last year?

Results are out for the NW Zones meet too: https://www.clubassistant.com/c/EBB7...%20results.pdf. Very fast times from Ellen Reynolds.

Interview with Dara: http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...an-Dara-Torres

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf -- my kind of meet: first event not until after 11:00 am and plenty of rest.

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 10:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. Friday, Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2010 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just hopped in for a meet warm up. I felt warmed up after about 20 minutes, which is surprising for me. I usually take awhile to loosen up, so I did a bit more anyway. Just did slow swimming, some one arm fly, 1 x build to fast free, 1 x fast back kick, and 2 x dolphin kick bursts. Sat in whirlpool afterward.

The women's locker room at my gym has been renovated. Sadly, though, they've done away with the steam room.

Felt better in the water today. Looking forward to the meet tomorrow. Of course, I'm not doing much so there's no pressure.

Good luck to everyone swimming this weekend at the various meets around the country!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Thursday, Dec. 2

by , December 2nd, 2010 at 06:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

6 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00

6 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

8 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ)
    odds = back
    evens = belly

50 EZ

Total: 1650

Commentary:

Just did a slow easy swim focusing on technique. No easy speed for me yet though.

About to head off to a banquet to open the high school swim season. Tomorrow night is the first meet. Good thing I checked the volunteer schedule, as I'm officiating. Pretty much a no brainer at these meets. Mini has expressed interest in re-joining a USAS team. We're mulling over what might be the right team/group fit for her. Not sure if will work with volleyball in the mix ... Some coaches are strict about the # of practices.

Psych sheets for the Last Minute Meet are out. There's almost 100 swimmers, and the usual fast suspects are there. I think it will be fun just to attend, spectate and do my wee sprints!

Nationals is on NBC at 3:00 on Saturday Dec. 11!

Livestream at: http://www.swimnetwork.com/

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 09:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Wed., Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2010 at 09:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

4 x (4 x 50)
    4 single arm fly @ 1:00
    4 backstroke @ 1:00
    4 breaststroke @ 1:15
    4 free @ 1:00

5 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins, shooters on the 1st and 3rd 25 @ 2:00

50 EZ

3 x 50
    backstroke start & fast kick to 15 meters, then cruise

50 EZ

3 x (25 free + 50 EZ)

25 EZ

2 x (fast 50 breast + 100 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2750

Yoga:

Took Mini to the gym since, as a sophomore, she's not allowed to do weights with her high school team b/c she "is still growing." Hmm ... she's been the same height since 6th grade. Just as I have been until yoga grew me an inch. Anyway, I did 40 minutes of stretching while she pumped iron. And I'm feeling quite virtuous about it.

Commentary:

Felt sluggish as expected. Plan to shift into high taper mode tomorrow with a short slow recovery swim and a meet warm up on Friday. After the Last Minute Meet on Saturday, I'll just do a recovery swim on Sunday and then a meet warm up type swim the rest of the week until I leave on Friday.

I received an email from the primary contact at GBM confirming that the correction to my name had been made (despite the fact that the athlete entry list has not been updated). Whew. Still seems odd that there was no meet director listed on the meet info. You would think that would be a requirement.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 09:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Tuesday, Nov. 30

by , November 30th, 2010 at 09:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

32 x 50, done as:
    (did them all @ 1:00-1:15, depending on my level of interest and level of chatting with Pete)

8 x 50
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = breast

8 x 50
    odds = double shooter
    evens = front scull + burst doggy paddle

8 x 50
    25 overkick free + 25 EZ

8 x 50
    odds = russian breast drill
    evens = breast w/thumbs up recovery drill

(I believe I have the same stroke flaw that Allen Stark mentioned on the Breaststroke Lane thread about going too deep when lunging forward. Hence the KPN thumbs up breast drill. Breaststroke is the most awful confounding stroke ... I'm not sure why I bother without a coach sometimes, except that it seems to agree with my shoulders.)

100 EZ

4 x (25 burst/cruise + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 2550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was trying to focus on technique today, but I felt adrift. Once the word "taper" enters my brain, I become lazy and don't want to do anything in the water. Even sprints. I guess the benefit of this ennui is that I am truly resting. But I may also fall asleep in the water. And I felt like crap today and was cramping in my left calf and feet like crazy. Because I've been cramping since last week, I went back to my massage therapist this afternoon and had her work on my legs for 30 minutes. This will likely cause more sluggishness in the water tomorrow, but I will ignore it. I don't really care how I feel this week, and will endeavor (possibly unsuccessfully) not to micro-analyze it next week either.

And I am now shifting into annoyance over my entry for the NE Champs. I haven't received a response to either of my emails. There is no other contact info on the meet forms. I sent an email tonight to the primary contact for Great Bay Masters. Anyone else have any ideas as to how to get my name changed on the athlete/entry list? I don't really want to swim as Leslie Linngston!

I heard that there were only 519 entries at Long Beach this year after cracking 1000 last year. That's quite a drop for the meet that has been touted as the unofficial national scm champs ...

My daughter gets her driver's license in 21 days ... However, I have to admit, it may really make my life easier, especially with her doing 2 sports at the moment.

Updated December 1st, 2010 at 11:38 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Monday, Nov. 29

by , November 29th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

40 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40ish

1-10= back
    11-20 = belly
    21-30 = right side/left side
    31-40 = twirling

10 x 50 @ 1:05
    odds = free with overkick
    evens = breast

50 EZ

Total: 2250

Commentary:

Just hopped in for some aerobic/hypoxic work today after a 6+ hour drive home yesterday. I find driving to be extremely tiring. I'm wondering whether I should even have done weights on Saturday ... No more from here on out. Shifting into taper mode.

I entered the Last Minute meet at almost the last minute. 100 fly (really 50) and 200 free (really 25 w/turn). I'm going to tell the referee in advance that I'm getting out on the 200. Last time I swam an event oddly (50 shooter instead of 100 free), the referee was extremely puzzled. I did succeed in finding my most stretched out suit with a partial hole to wear. I have an old TYR kneeskin that I guess I could use as well.

I still haven't seen the correction made to my name in the athlete entries for the NE Champs. Sent another email. I hate when they don't even list the meet director in the meet info or give other contact info.

I still need to dig up my split request forms too. I know I have the link on my blog. I just don't find the blog search function very helpful.

Apart from those minor details, I'm actually feeling pretty psyched for NE Champs. I don't have any specific goals other than to not do personal worsts and swim faster than I did at the Albatross meet. I would be happy if my 100 back & 100 fly were within 2-3 seconds of my times from last year.

Other SCM Meets:

Psych sheet for SPMA: http://www.lbgrunions.org/psychsheets.html

Results for NY/NJ Duel in the Pool:
    http://aquafitmasters.com/Events/112...uelResults.pdf

Ron Johnson results:
    Link in Patrick's blog: http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=12525

I know there were recent meets in FLA, UCLA and DAM as well.

This weekend: South Central Regional Champs, Last Minute Meet, and SPMA Meet.

Don't know about other age groups, but attendance in mine still looks somewhat down with some key players possibly MIA in SCM.

Updated November 29th, 2010 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sat., Nov. 27

by , November 28th, 2010 at 12:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Headed off to Sewickley again, though Jim and I were both rather tired after Friday night's effort.

Drylands:

Jim was naultilusing away, building brute strength. I herd the word "failure" mumbled several times. I stayed in the nautilus room with him instead of the free weight room. I just lifted lightly (tapering weights) and did 2 sets of 10 on the following Nautilus machines, some fast and some negatives for about 30 minutes.

bench press
    pullover
    bicep press
    leg press
    glute machine
    lower back
    mid grip row

Torso twists on yoga ball, 25
    windhsield wipers, 25
    long arm crunches, 25
    reverse scoops w/plate, 15

Yoga/Stretching, 25-30 minutes:

Felt pretty stretchy despite being lazy in this department over the holidays. And there was a convenient wall to crawl down into back bends.

Whirlpool w/Jim for 10 minutes.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

25 minute slow continuous swim. Would have done 30, but they kicked me out of the pool. Closing time.

Commentary:

I'm taking today off to make the long tortuous drive home to DC in mega traffic. Taking the back way to hopefully alleviate some of that. I'm fairly pleased that I got 3 good workouts in. Last year during this week, I also took 2 days off. Planning on a hypoxic/aerobic workout with perhaps a few wee sprints tomorrow.

Still haven't heard anything about the correction to my entry from the NE folks. If I haven't heard by Monday, I'll have to send another email.

Updated November 29th, 2010 at 01:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  10. Swim 2 @ Sewickley, Friday, Nov. 27

by , November 27th, 2010 at 03:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After a rigorous day of online shopping, pie eating and gin rummy, I ventured to Sewickley for a swim and dinner. Saw Mermaid, who I hadn't seen in a long while. Coach Bill provided a great workout as follows:

Warm up:

650 OMO (got there early with Jim)
    400, I alternated swims, pulls and kicks

2 x (6 x 100) @ 2:00
    #1 = EZ
    #2 = last 25 fast
    #3 = last 50 fast
    #4 = last 75 fast
    #5 = EZ
    #6 = 100 fast
    2:00 rest between sets or so, I did a 25 EZ

On round one, I did the fast bits fly. My 100 was around 1:02-3. Had to do some single arm fly to avoid crashing Jim. On round two, I did dolphin kick with a board on the first 5. The fast 100 I did backstroke kick, went a high 54. Crashed a bit on the bottom on the first 25.

I think there was something easy here, can't remember ...

2 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    #1 = EZ
    #2 = fast last 25
    #3 = EZ
    #4 = fast
    2:00 rest between rounds, I did a 25 EZ

First round was fly, second round was back kick. The fast 50s didn't seem terribly fast.

200 EZ

Total: 2900

Commentary:

This workout was likely just what I needed, and will probably be my last hard workout before NE Champs in 2 weeks. Jim and Bill and I were discussing the difference between a lactate threshold set and a lactate production set. Rich A. mentioned that he does one of each on alternating weeks. This felt like a "lactate production" set to me. (Not a true sprint set because there wasn't enough rest and not a LT set b/c I wasn't in pain the entire time.)

Had a lovely dinner at Jim's new Cafe with many of the Sewickley masters after practice.

As usual, not one drop of sunshine in Pittsburgh ...

Updated November 27th, 2010 at 04:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Swim @ Sewickley, Wed., Nov. 24

by , November 24th, 2010 at 10:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Sewickley:

After a 5+ hour drive, I made it to the one hour Sewickley Masters practice coached by Bill White. Shared a lane with Jim, who did some real sprinting tonight.

Warm up:

400 EZ OMO
    400, 50 swim/50 kick @ 6:00
    300 kick w/some shooters @ 5:30

Main sets:

6 x 100 @ 1:40
    (Jim went very fast free; I swam leisurely backstroke.)

12 x 50 @ :50
    This was a swim set, but I did it 25 shooter + 25 back kick instead. Only hit the bottom twice.

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    This was supposed to be a 25 build + 25 EZ. I did it 15 meter burst dolphin kick (no fins) on my back + rest EZ. Admittedly not done with quite the same ferocity as my ATP-CP set with Speedo yesterday.

4 x 50 fast @ 1:30
    I alternated fast-EZ. Wasn't up to 4 fast 50s. Went fly (25, ugh, cramped) and breast (31ish).

200 EZ

Total: 3100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt extremely sluggish in the water after yesterday's deep tissue massage and today's long drive. But I was so glad to get in the water and get some aerobic/hypoxic work in. Will take tomorrow off and then back to Sewickley on Friday. I may even do some drylands with Jimslie b/c he has re-commenced lifting. Shocking.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Swim w/Speedo, Tuesday, Nov. 23

by , November 23rd, 2010 at 10:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

900 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    various -- kick, swim, bursts, builds

ATP-CP Sprint Set:*

10 x 25 @ 1:00
    burst to the 15 meter mark
    did them all free

200 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    free w/fins = 11
    back shooter w/fins = 10
    2 x back w/start = 14s

10 x 50 aerobic @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

100 EZ

Total: 2900

*ATP-CP = the primary system for production of fast powerful movements:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_systems[/ame]

Commentary:

Loved the ATP-CP set! No lactic acid build up and plenty of rest to generate explosive movements on 1:00 interval. Agree with Speedo -- this set is a keeper. Plus, it's a good prelude to other sprint sets. I likewise agree we could easily have done a fast 50 at the end. But I've done so many fast 50s lately, I was happy to do the aerobic recovery set. And I'm glad we did that instead of the usual 200 EZ.

I missed the gym today. Probably won't get there until Friday. Even then, I think I'll just hit the upper body. Perhaps a few box jumps. But I think my legs need to start resting now.

Got a massage after the workout. Niiice! Had her pound away at my scapular area (which yoga doesn't seem to get all that well) and the legs. Calves were very sore. I'll probably feel poorly and sluggish at the Sewickley Masters practice tomorrow night. So I hope Coach Bill is just planning an aerobic workout.

Mini has done very well in her club volleyball tryouts this week. She is now a committed gym rat, as she feels like her serve/hits are much more powerful now that she's resumed drylands. I resist the urge to say "I told you so ..."

I need to sort through the family kneeskin collection. I need to find the stretched out Speedo kneeskin with a hole to wear at the Last Minute meet.

One another note, my chiro used my recent blood labs, especially the adrenal readings, as a test case at a recent functional medicine/nutrition for athletes conference. Have an appt scheduled to get further input.

Updated November 23rd, 2010 at 11:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tuesday, Nov. 22

by , November 22nd, 2010 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Brikram Yoga, 90 minutes

This seemed much easier than some previous sessions. Very wiped out after these classes. Thought about hopping on the bike for 30 minutes, but decided no.

Commentary:

1. Got a gold star in yoga today and told to go to the advanced classes. I think they are at bizarro times, so I will likely pass.

2. Checked the athlete listing for NE Champs, and nearly freaked out. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10scmchamp.php. I wasn't listed under Patriot Masters like I was last year. But I found my entry under GMUP. Whew. Unfortunately, they misspelled my last name, and I sent an email to correct that. I will, in fact, be carting Fort Son & GF up to Boston with me.

3. The athlete line up for this meet looks very typical NE Champs and very not typical CZ Champs. Which is fine.

4. Going to enter the 100 fly and 200 free at the Last Minute Meet. This will essentially be my last speed workout before NR Champs and I'll get a little block time. I'll do a 50 fly split in the 100 and a fast 25 with a fast turn in the 200 free. (I might just get out at the 50 depending on how I feel and who is mocking me. I don't care about DQs.) Times will be sandbagged accordingly. I'm going to pass on the Little Devil's helpful suggestion of entering the 400 IM because that is way too much evil to bear in these scanty suit conditions we live in now. I now have to go look for my split request forms ... My only "goal" for this meet is to swim faster than my 50 fly from the Albatross meet.

5. Rich posted this "sprint on short rest" set for me on the DF:

"Try 10 X 25 on 1:00 with 15 Y/M all out breakouts and then cruise the rest of the way. It only relies on the CP-ATP energy system which is quickly replenished and even I have enough recovery time to be very explosive on all efforts."

Will try to give that a go from a dive off the side of the pool soon. Perhaps tomorrow if Speedo must tend to sick little Speedo and we can't do broken 100s.

6. Renewed my USMS membership today.

7. I think I need to start The Resting Of The Legs soon. Maybe after tomorrow.

8. After seeing Harry Potter over the weekend with Lil Fort and some soccer friends, I now have the perfect comeback line for Mini Fort: "I'm not your house elf."

9. Fun Swim Links:

http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../6919#comments

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swim...n-goggles.aspx

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swim...-swimming.aspx

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swim...-argument.aspx

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...n-Invitational

Updated November 23rd, 2010 at 12:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  14. Sunday, Nov. 21

by , November 21st, 2010 at 10:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

windshield wipers, 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    tricep press negatives, 50 x 2 x 10
    bench press singles, 110 x 2 x 1, 120 x 8 x 1
    seated row, 120 x 3 x 6
    nautilus lower back, 140 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    (getting more efficient at these)
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 2 x 10
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    RC work

Yoga/Stretching, 25-30 minutes:

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 dolphin kick w/board, no fins @ 1:00
    These hurt way more than they should have. I went right from the pool to the gym, so was probably tired from the plyos.

50 dolphin dive

8 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50

50 dolphin dive

16 x 50 @ 1:00
    1-4 = 25 fly drill + 25 free
    5-8 = 25 free + 25 back shooter
    9-12 = 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ
    13-16 = 50 breast, descend to fast

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2350 meters

steamroom, 10 minutes

Commentary:

After early rising and 6 soccer games, I was completely unmotivated to go the gym this afternoon. Fortunately, Mr. Fort kicked me out. I felt like I had a solid dryland session, but had to restrict the pool session to recovery/aerobic work (though I felt strong in the water). I was just too tired to ramp it up in relatively hot water.

Tentative plan for the week. I'll see if I can actually get er done.

Mon: Bikram yoga
    Tues: gym + speed workout + massage
    Wed: swim with Sewickley Masters
    Thurs: stretch at home
    Fri: swim with Sewickley Masters
    Saturday: drylands (no legs except a few plyos) + drive home
    Sun: speed workout

I am going to enter the Last Minute Meet. But just the 100 fly for a 50 split and to practice breakouts. Can I do anything while hanging on the wall gasping for breath before I begin the second 50? I should know this, I realize, but never had occasion to focus on the wall rule for fly. I know in backstroke you can practically pirouette without a DQ. May have to drag out my rule book.

Attached is a pic of Lil Fort's U10 all star team. They played great and with a lot of heart. Lil Fort even wants to play indoor soccer this year.

Updated November 22nd, 2010 at 10:29 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020976.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	6544  
  15. Fast Friday, Nov. 19

by , November 19th, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ripped off and remixed Chris' fast fly workout from this AM. Loved it!

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

3 x (4 x 25)
    broad jump off side + eggbeater kick to wall
    backstroke start w/burst to 15 (14 kicks)
    EZ
    overkick free

50 EZ

Speed Work:
    (All fly, except fly kick, done with fins)
    (Times are imprecise, I couldn't see the pace clock all that well.)

75 fast fly (41ish)
    75 EZ

25 fast fly kick, diving from edge (21 kicks)
    75 EZ

50 fast fly (23 mid)
    100 EZ

50 fast fly (24 high)
    100 EZ

25 fast fly kick, diving from edge
    75 EZ

75 fast fly (41ish)
    125 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    1 each stroke

200 EZ

Total: 2500

Commentary:

My fly felt pretty good today. And it was good to do more swimming than kicking, as the legs were tired (though there were many SDKs on the fast flys).

Still pondering Last Minute Meet. Inclined to sign up for the 100 fly and do a 50 fly split, so I can cruise in late.

Last 7 days: 5 swims/3 drylands this week/not enough yoga. I really should stretch tonight.

Next 7 days: Workout schedule is going to be complicated by this weekend's soccer tournament and travel to Pittsburgh.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2010 at 09:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Couldn't make it to swim with Speedo today because of Lil Fort's Thanksgiving festivities at school. And the Rec Center pools are closed early now for HS swim. So no workout choice except to head to the gym.

Drylands:

windshield wipers, 25
    power wheel roll outs, 25
    power wheel plank knee ins, 15
    back extensions w/plate, 25
    reverse decine crunches, 2 x 15
    P90X X Press Squat, 40 x 1 x 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 2 x 10
    HS single leg extension negatives, 25 x 2 x 8, each leg (ouch!)
    standing lat pulldown, explosive, 100 x 2 x 10
    external rotators

Ellipse, 20 minutes:

snooze ...

Yoga/Stretching, 25 minutes

Commentary:

I would rather have done Speedo's workout today and drylands tomorrow, but the best laid plans ... I even tried to go to bikram yoga today, but the road was closed and I couldn't have made it on time going another way. And they don't permit late entries. I think I've seen someone sneak in a couple minutes late only once or twice.

Mini finished her HS tryouts today. Despite not swimming much since last April (except sprinty stuff here and there), she swam the same times in the 100 breast/100 fly/100 IM that she swam in meets last year. Hmm ... I guess she's stronger from going to the gym? I may have helped create a monster. Though she has made noises about going back to her USAS team. I think she's deciding between that and crew in the spring. (Still doing club volleyball, but as a "practice" only player so she can do other sports).

And I likely will have company in Boston in December. Fort Son and his GF want to check out schools in Boston. Fort Son is more interested in light of an email he got from the Harvard crew coach and he has a safety school on his list in Boston. But his heart is really elsewhere. I am hoping some miracle occurs and he gets in ED, and I can move on from this stressful process ... I must have miracles on the mind after helping poor Mini Fort decipher original sources from the time of the Crusades last night at 10:00 pm. The joys of parenting ...

Updated November 18th, 2010 at 09:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Drylands + Swim, Wed., Nov. 17

by , November 18th, 2010 at 12:39 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 45 minutes:

windshield wipers, 25
    back extensions with plate, 25
    seated ab crunches on total ab machine, 120 x 1 x 25, 130 x 1 x 20
    single arm press on free motion double cable machine, 30 x 2 x 10, 35 x 2 x 10
    hip/leg adductor, 120 x 1 x 10, 130 x 1 x 8
    5/5/5 squats warm up (5 regular squats, 5 fast squats, 5 squat jumps)
    5/5/5 squats w/45 lb bar x 2 (not so easy)
    Icarian chest supported pull, 125 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    med ball slams, 10 (I realize these might have been hurting my thumb and tried to center the ball more with my palm and fingers.)

RC work

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

4 x (8 x 50), 30 seconds between sets of 8, done as:

8 x 50 double shooter on back w/fins @ 1:00

8 x 50 back, no fins @ :55

8 x 50 double shooter on belly w/fins @ 1:00

8 x 50 backstroke kick, no fins @ :55

50 EZ

10 x 100
    odds = dolphin kick w/board & fins @ 1:30
    evens = single arm fly @ 1:45

200 EZ

Total: 3550

Commentary:

Drylands = 1 push, 1 pull, couple legs, couple abs and plyos.

Swim = an "endurance" workout for me, with hypoxic and aerobic work. And a lot of dolphin kicking ...

Rest of the day crazy. Tomorrow busy too. I can only make it for sprints with Speedo on Friday. Might go to yoga tomorrow; haven't decided. Looking ahead, I will have to take Saturday as my rest day due to an all day soccer tournament.
  18. Tuesday, Nov. 16

by , November 16th, 2010 at 09:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo:

Warm up:

1000 various

3 backstroke starts

Transition:

8 x 25
    odds = overkick free
    evens = burst SDK + cruise

12 x 25 @ :40
    various -- swim, kick, easy speed, build

50 EZ

Main Set:

Pete manned up and did broken 200s. I opted for 3 x broken 100s w/fins (back, back, fly), and went with him on the 1st and 3rd 50s. I tried do go 95% on the first 50 and 100% on the second after resting for 35-40 seconds.

Went:

50 back (24, very cruisey and seemingly not too hard) + 50 back (high 24)

150 EZ

50 back (high 23) + 50 back (25)

150 EZ

50 fly (high 23) + 50 fly (25)

150 EZ

My fly SDKs feel better and faster after really concentrating on keeping my upper body still.

Total: 2300

Stretching/Yoga 30 minutes

Commentary:

My energy level & cold were much better today, but I still felt pretty dead after that set. Hoping to get to the gym and do a short aerobic swim tomorrow.

I wish GBM would post an athlete list, so that I could see whether my NE Champs entry was received. Having had an entry lost in the mail before, I'm kind of paranoid.

Still trying to decide whether to swim anything at the Last Minute Meet on Dec. 5. The event order is below, but the 100 IM is just not very appealing for some reason.

Events:
    200 IM
    50 Fly
    200 Back
    100 Free
    50 Back
    200 Fly
    100 Breast
    400 Free
    * Break *
    100 IM
    50 Free
    200 Breast
    100 Fly
    50 Breast
    200 Free
    100 Back
    400 IM

Mini Fort hit me with another classic line today. I asked her to fold the laundry and she replied rather histrionically, "I'm not your Cinderella." Jimslie thinks we should get William Shatner to play her in the new sitcom "Sh*t My Daughter Says.

Updated November 16th, 2010 at 10:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  19. Monday, Nov. 15

by , November 15th, 2010 at 08:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

TRX body rows, 15
    TRX single leg squats, 15 each leg
    TRX single leg squat + hop, 10 each leg
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    windshield wipers, 25
    reverse scoops, 15 w/20 lb DB
    RC exercises

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continue swim-kick-drill

steam room, 10 minutes

Commentary:

I seem to have contracted Mini Fort's cold crud. I took yesterday off. And I was really due for an off day anyway, so that was fine. And I just did a short recovery workout today. My foot is still swollen also. I'm hoping that gets significantly better in the next couple days so I can keep hitting the drylands hard before I start tapering. And I seemed to have strained my left thumb somehow. Dunno how.

The final results from B2B are in. My tri relay team definitely doesn't need me, as they finished first place in the coed relays. http://www.setupevents.com/files/FullRelays.htm. Mr. Fort's actual bike split was 4:59:05. He was psyched to break 5 hours on his first iron distance (and only his third race), especially after missing some rides because he was in trial forever. Interestingly, the first swimmer out of the water was a 17 year old girl who dusted all the pro men.

Entry forms for the Last Minute meet are out. (Love how it's the Last Minute meet instead of the Last Chance meet.) Have to decide if I want to cruise in to get a 100 IM time this year. I haven't swum the 100 IM since last December.

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1403&smid=2761

Hope I feel better when I wake up tomorrow so I can suffer with Speedo tomorrow.

Updated November 15th, 2010 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Saturday, Nov. 13

by , November 13th, 2010 at 07:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I actually swam with Mini Fort, but she has a sore throat/cold and is on her death bed, , so we did different workouts. We also had to go on the early side because of her social life, which meant classes and shallow lanes. She laughs at my hatred of shallow lanes, but I don't like hitting the bottom. She said, "Well, you have to sometimes swim meets in shallow pools." I replied, "Actually, no I don't."

Warm up:

700 various

Transition:

8 x 50 hypoxic backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    breathe only at turn

5 x (4 x 25)
    easy speed fly
    scull
    fast breast pull
    EZ

50 EZ

Mini Lactate Set:

8 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00, hold best average
    Went 25, 26, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 25

Oddly, it hurt more to kick without fins than with, so I used fins. (I couldn't do flutter or breast kick much at all.)

100 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x 50
    odds fast breast @ 1:00 (31, 31, 30, 30)
    evens EZ @ 1:15

100 EZ

8 x 25
    odds = fast
    evens = EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3650/925 fast

Commentary:

Shoulders are a little sore from yesterday, especially the right one. Note to self: keep paddles sets under 1,000. (I wonder if all this left side breathing is bothering the right side?) Pretty tired after that effort. And that was the first mini suffering set I've done in awhile.

I've seen Cage Fighter quite a few times lately at SpringHill. He is swimming with the FISH and looking very fit and scary.

B2B Iron Tri Relay:

I've gotten the initial report on B2B. Not sure how the team placed overall yet, but the final time was 9:33, which would have been the second fastest relay last year (second to a male relay). But there are more many relays this year.

I heard the swim conditions were kinda harsh. 39 degrees at the start, no current, a head wind the whole way and a 1/4 mile run at the end. (Whoa, glad I dodged that bullet.) Our swimmer, Kona ironman Dot Martin, 50, went approx 1:11. On the whole, the swim times were fairly slow, with only a few male Pros coming in under one hour. Repeat swimmers said they were approx 15 minutes slower than prior years with the jet booster current. Though apparently for the half iron race two hours later, the tide had turned and the booster was back.

Swim results:

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm...esults&id=2171

Swim and bike results so far: http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm...esults&id=2175.

Mr. Fort had a very strong bike leg @ 4:59, , despite taking a couple minute break. He said it was very windy. Our runner took off when the temps had climbed to the high 70s, not ideal, but came in at 3:16 with no serious cramping issues. I think everyone was happy. Wish I was at the beach to celebrate with them!

Garrett Weber-Gale on Swimming & Sleep:

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swim...-sleeping.aspx.

Personally, my power down time is greater than 20-45 minutes.

Updated November 14th, 2010 at 06:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts