http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Swim w/Jazz & Speedo, Thursday, Nov. 4

by , November 4th, 2010 at 06:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim with Jazz & Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various
    arrived a bit late

Main Sets:

10 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    various -- swim & kick w/bursts & builds

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 2:00
    3 free, went 11s
    3 shooter on back, high 9s-10

50 EZ

1 x 50 kick, no fins, for time
    did backstroke kick, went 31

Didn't feel super fast b/c I went too deep on the push offs, but still happy with a 31.
    Jazz was quite pokey about it. But I won't rat him out.

A couple weeks ago, I did a 29 mid in a 50 back (from a start). So my 31 mid (from a push)
    isn't too far off that. Guess I'm a leg dominant swimmer. Of course, 2/3 of a 50 back can be underwater.

200 EZ

Total: 1950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This was perfect for me today, as I was tired after yesterday and just in the mood for some sprints. Speedo was not nearly as curmudgeonly as he reports. It was great to see Jazz, as always. We had some interesting conversations about the importance of kicking and flexibility. After which I decided to go to bikram yoga tomorrow at noon rather than journey to Mason for a solo swim (which would have been the 5th since Monday). Where's the yoga emoticon, Anna Lea?

I can empathize with Speedo's temporary lack of motivation. I've been a bit that way myself since Atlanta. I attribute it to a harsh fall health wise, being 49 and being deprived of the speed suit I've swum in every meet for years. But I feel like I'm finally turning the corner wrt motivation. It would probably behoove me to get myself to Boston, since I am not currently inspired to do a USA meet.

Mike Gustafson on other comebacks he'd like to see: http://www.swimnetwork.com/News/Swim...ke-to-See.aspx

Another article confirming Janet Evans comeback:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/

Updated November 4th, 2010 at 09:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Swim + Stretch, Wed., Nov. 3

by , November 3rd, 2010 at 09:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had grandiose notions of reprising the 8 x 100 @ 2:00 LT Death Set from Sept. 30 today. Yesterday, the water was a blissfully cool 80 degrees. Today, the water was, supposedly, 84 degrees. It felt hotter. I was just not up to doing that set in these conditions (possibly at Mason on Friday). Instead, I did the following, which was a pretty fun workout:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Transition 25s:

10 x 25 @ :40
    odds = UW shooter (belly, back, right side, left side, twirling)
    evens = long breaststroke pull + cruise

4 x (3 x 25)
    1st 25 = UW shooters
    2nd 25 = burst + cruise
    3rd 25 = fly drill

3 x (4 x 25)
    1st 25 = broad jump off side and egg beater kick to wall
    2nd 25 = backstroke start,* 5-6 fast SDKs and then cruise
    3rd 25 = fast underwater free recovery w/buoy
    4th 25 = easy backstroke kick

* At the Sprint Classic, I tried to use a neutral head position on my backstroke start and not pull in toward the wall. Like this Natalie Coughlin start:[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5076228/seebohm_wins_coughlin_swims_into_third_from_univer sal_sports/"]Seebohm Wins, Coughlin Swims into Third - from Universal Sports - Video[/ame] Today, I tried it with my head tipped back slightly more. It felt perfectly natural and I seemed to get into the water cleanly. Going to keep working on this start and playing around with head position. Definitely never pulling in/tucking in again though. (See, e.g., start from NE SCM Champs last year: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube - Fort SCM 50 back[/nomedia])

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x 50 fast fly w/fins, done as:

50 fly @ 85-90% + 50 EZ @ 3:00
    50 fly @ 90-95% + 100 EZ @ 3:00
    50 fly @ 95-100% + 150 EZ @ whatever

went 26, 25, 24
    Hard to be more precise with a pace clock.
    24 is pretty fast for me. I'm considering doing more SDKs on my next 50 fly.

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick Set:

20 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ :45
    Held 30-32 at an easy pace.
    Went fast on the last one, no extra rest: 23 high-24

100 EZ

Total: 3150

Gym:

I dropped Lil Fort at swim practice, then went to the Rec Center with Mini Fort. While she swam for an hour, I did:

15 minutes of RC work

30 minutes of stretching and yoga

Commentary:

As noted above, I was annoyed and bummed that the water was so toasty. Tyranny of the noodlers.

Although it might not seem like much, I am quite tired after that workout. Of course, I am also sore and tired from yesterdays drylands and hypoxic kick. And I had a bout of insomnia that kept me up until 2:30 am or so. The TRX chest press did not agree with my shoulders at all. I am putting that on the "dead to me" list, along with planks.

Tomorrow is cross country regionals. That really will be my son's last HS race and then it's on to winter crew training.

Still mulling over NE Champs and wondering whether to swim the 100 fly or 100 IM on Saturday if I go ... And I see a couple possible split requests in my future ... not the 200 fly though!

http://www.swimnem.org/entryforms/bu2010entry.pdf

Updated November 3rd, 2010 at 10:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Gym + Swim, Tuesday, Nov. 2

by , November 2nd, 2010 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the gym and pool with Mini Fort today.

Drylands:

med ball game in racquetball court, 10 minutes
    (Mini was "bored." )
    tricep passes w/med ball, 15
    flutter kicks in streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 100
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 110 x 1 x 25, 120 x 1 x 25
    HS single leg extensions, 35 x 2 x 10, each leg
    standing lat pulldown, 140 x 2 x 10
    overhead squats, 45 x 2 x 10
    TRX body rows, 15
    TRX one legged squats, 15 each leg
    TRX chest press -- ugh! These are harder than they look and feel quite stressful on my shoulders.

The TRX has been set up in my gym more frequently lately. They seem popular with the trainers; Q would call them "trendy." I need to review my exercise list, so I can try out some more things.

Mini refused to stretch with me. Couldn't be bothered.

I can tell I need to do RC exercises more regularly ... Shoulders are a bit twingey. These look like some good ones, if you want a change from standing and doing them: http://swim.isport.com/swimming-vide...iss-ball-7637/

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Swam with Mini, but did separate workouts b/c she's not an SDK freak. Didn't have much time b/c we went during Lil Fort's soccer practice (which is now 90 minutes). The pool was a cool 80 degrees.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
    odds = each 25, dolphin kick on belly to 15+ meters, cruise free to wall & open turn
    evens = each 25, dolphin kick on back to 15+ meters, easy backstroke to wall with back flip turn

50 EZ

8 x 50 w/fins @ 1:10
    odds = 25 easy speed fly (kick to 15 meters) + 25 UW shooter on back
    evens = 25 breast with pullout to 15 meters + 25 free, 1 breath

50 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

4 x (25 AFAP kick + 25 EZ)
    2 flutter kick shooters
    2 backstroke kick, no SDK

I would've done more, but was trying to give Mini tips on sprint free. She is not a sprint freestyler, all short axis.

100 EZ

Total: 2300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Was happy to get in two workouts today, though the swim was short. I'm actually fairly tired right now. Perhaps I'll actually bust out a workout over 3000 soon. Last one was Oct. 16 ...

Updated November 3rd, 2010 at 11:29 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  4. Swim w/Mini Fort, Monday, Nov. 1

by , November 1st, 2010 at 04:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Mini Fort:

School is out for the next two days. Mini, who is planning on high school swimming, decided to join me today. We did different warm up sets and then did the fast 50s together.

Warm up:

700 various

Transition:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    15 burst of various strokes and kicks + rest EZ

50 EZ

2 x 10 second AFAP vertical dolphin kick + 50 EZ

Speed Set:

6 x (50 AFAP kick w/board & fins + 50 EZ)
    2 dolphin, 2 flutter, 2 dolphin
    Went all 25s on all, high 25 on last one

Normally, I wouldn't do this entire set with a board. But Mini needs to work on her dolphin kick and I was trying to encourage her to do some fast dolphin kicking with fins (her fly is largely upper body type fly). Unlike me, and perhaps b/c of her knee issues for years, she is fin-averse. But she seems to be growing out of the syndrome as the doctors predicted -- she can even do a real squat now!

Recovery Aerobic:

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:45

100 EZ

Total: 2750

Commentary:

I apparently had a little too much fun at the Halloween party last night, and was dragging a bit today. Or something. I didn't feel rested at all after a day off. Still have my gravelly voice. Hitting the gym with Mini tomorrow and perhaps a short swim if I can manage it with Lil Fort home. It might be time to introduce Mini Fort to the RA med ball game.

Line of the day: I inadvertently ran over a squirrel on the way home. Mini says, "You are a bad person. That was someone's daughter." I tried to explain that squirrels are just rabid rats with puffy tails.

Just voted for Dave "Chaos" Barra for OW swimmer of the year! What an amazing season he had!

http://www.openwatersource.com/vote-...-the-year.html

And this is cool, we are getting a tracking device so that we spectators/support team can see the speed and position of our runner and biker at B2B:

http://www.myathletegps.com/

Updated November 1st, 2010 at 10:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Saturday, Oct. 31

by , October 31st, 2010 at 11:30 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

90 minute sweatathon. Spinal strengthening series = very good for swimming. I always feel great afterward.

I strained a muscle on the right side of my right quad during the class and it's sore this am. Given that and the fact that I've worked out 7 days straight, I decided to take today off. Plenty of pumpkin carving to do anyway!

Updated October 31st, 2010 at 02:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  6. Friday, Oct. 1

by , October 29th, 2010 at 08:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition/Speedplay:

3 x (4 x 25)
    free w/dolphin kick
    breast build to fast
    free w/dolphin kick
    underwater free recovery drill, fast for 15 m

12 x 25 shooters w/fins
    odds = belly
    evens = back
    every 4th one fast

50 EZ

1 x 50 breast, fast w/fins, 29-30

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick Mountain:

dolphin kick w/fins and board
    wanted to work on my fly kick & work the core
    also wanted to use my MF, but can't find it.

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

100 EZ

Total: 2850 (1800 kicking)

Drylands, 45 minutes:

broomstick twists, 25
    flutter kicks in streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 50
    reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    reverse crunch w/yoga ball, 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    torso twists w/25 lb plate, 25
    russian twists on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    seated narrow grip row, 90 x 1 x 5, 100 x 2 x 8
    hip/leg adductor, 100 x 1 x 8, 110 x 2 x 8
    extreme angle isometric squat hold, 5:00
    (this was not that hard despite my dryland layoff, need to add weight)
    streamline hold on back on bosu, 2 x 1:00
    RC Exercises

20 minutes of stretching and yoga

Commentary:

Something is twitchy in my right deltoid/supraspinatus area. Not sure how I did that. As a result, I opted for lots of kicking today and didn't do too much involving the shoulder or pushing exercises at the gym. I feel, unlike in previous seasons, I have -- finally -- gotten better about regularly stretching and doing yoga.

Had been hoping to go to my team practice tomorrow, but it interferes with Lil Fort's last regular season soccer game (although there's another few weeks of All Stars in store). So I'll probably try to get there on Sunday.

Looking forward to sleeping in this long weekend and the fall time change!

Had a disgustingly healthy last couple days of eating.

Updated October 29th, 2010 at 09:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  7. Swim w/Jazz, Thursday, Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2010 at 08:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Jazz @ OakMarr:

Work got in the way of Speedo joining us today, but Jazz showed up to test the water after a few months away from the pool. Didn't seem to hurt him; he's fast as ever.

Warm up:

400 various
    (Normally I would do a little more, but Jazz was ready to go after 200.)

3 x (4 x 25 w/fins) @ :40
    backstroke kick
    free w/dolphin kick
    dolphin kick
    free

Main Sets:

Pyramid CNS Stimulation 50s:

7 x 50 free @ 1:10
    3-6-9-12-9-6-3 fast strokes and cruise the rest

25 EZ

Jazz went a 50 free AFAP for time, 23 mid to high. I watched the clock, wasn't in the mood for an all out 50 myself.

50 EZ

At this point, Jazz departed as he was all tuckered out.

8 x 150 @ 2:30 or so, done as 100 reverse IM order (smooth) + 50 fast backstroke kick

75 EZ

Stopped and chatted after #4 with a teammate who has been out for several months with shoulder issues and is easing back in. It was great to see him back in the water. Hoping he can rejoin Mason soon.

Total: 2400 + mega chatting

Yoga, 30 minutes:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching outside in the backyard sunshine. Lovely!

Commentary:

I'm still unsure of how to direct my training for the next month or so. I need to decide whether I'm going to Boston in 6 weeks or not. I'm still froggy voiced, and don't feel like I can go at it full bore. I will be able to sleep in the next few days as the kids are off school Mon & Tues. Perhaps that will help kill off the remnants of this nasty bronchitis bug.

If I am going, I don't think there's much point in doing any aerobic work for 4 weeks, aside from a recovery set here or there. I should probably just focus on speed and lactate work. The idea of getting healthy (assuming my immune system isn't permanently AWOL) and having to rest again for a meet is fairly unappealing as well. Part of me wants to go and see friends and have fun; part of me doesn't want to waste travel "chips" when I'm not in the best shape. Decisions, decisions ...

http://www.swimnem.org/entryforms/bu2010entry.pdf

Updated October 28th, 2010 at 08:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  8. Wed., Oct. 27

by , October 27th, 2010 at 09:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X Kenpo, 45 minutes

http://www.beachbody.com/text/produc...pn=18004611535

I like the Kenpo workout because of its focus on balance and explosive movements. Can't say I was "drenched with sweat" afterward though. Skipped the warm down.

I meant to hop on my indoor bike for awhile today, because I really think I need more aerobic exercise, but life happened. This time, I was watching what I thought might be Fort Son's last HS race out at Burke Lake, when I got a call from the trainer that Mini Fort was injured again and needed an x-ray. So I dropped Lil Fort at swim practice and made another ER visit. X-ray negative, but volleyball season over. I must say, although I am not the sentimental type at all, I was a bit sad watching Fort Son race ... (His team did advance to regionals though, so he still has one more 5K.) He also sent off his early decision application today. He's all growed up.

I am still holding out for a dull, mundane day where I am completely healthy and have my real voice.

A crazy lactate loving friend did and suggested this set today:

4x 150 swim on 2:40 at 75%, into
    4x 100 swim on 1:50 at 85% into
    4x 50 swim on 1:00 at 90%

Updated October 27th, 2010 at 10:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Drylands + Swim, Tues., Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2010 at 05:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks in streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 50
    skull crushers, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10
    goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 15
    iso lateral hi row, some singles, 160 x 1 x 5, 180 x 1 x 5, 200 x 2 x 5
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    med ball floor slams, 2 x 10
    rock star jumps, 10
    box jumps, 10
    elevated push ups, 2 x 10
    power wheel roll outs, 25

Yoga:

yoga and stretching for 25 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Just did a basic aerobic workout:

Warm up:

750 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = breast pull w/buoy

10 x 50, hypoxic w/fins @ 1:00
    done as 25 UW shooter on back + open turn + 25 free no breather or 1 breather (5 each)

10 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

100 EZ

Total: 2850

Commentary:

Still not back to normal, but not coughing during the night seems to have a salutary effect on my daytime energy levels. So I made it to both the gym and the pool today. Need to check my workout file to identify some good workouts for the rest of the week. I also need to decide on meets soon to focus my training somewhat. With Mini Fort not swimming USAS, those meets aren't nearly as appealing to me.

Article on P90X:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20101025/NEWS/10255026

Updated October 26th, 2010 at 07:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  10. Yoga + Meet Results, Oct. 25

by , October 25th, 2010 at 08:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Made it to my first bikram yoga class in many months. It felt like the thing to do today, as I was tired and not all that interested in the pool. I felt pretty flexy, but my balance was more suspect than usual. I'll probably squeeze an aerobic workout in tomorrow between the scintillating tasks of getting my kitty spayed and having a bone density scan.

Commentary:

Still feeling pretty psyched about the meet results. I feel somewhat more motivated to compete than I did before in my malaise. This led to two thoughts. One, I'm really hoping we have the Last Chance meet again in December to possibly obviate the need to travel to Boston (though I haven't ruled it out as I love SCM). Second, I'm going to lobby to leave for the Boston Marathon after Day 1 of Colonies Zones in April. If the order of events is the same as last year, I could swim both the 100 back (as a split on the 200) and the 100 fly on Saturday and get a 50 free split leading off a 200 free relay. And that would be a wrap on my SCY season since I'm not going to Nationals. (No desire to swim backstroke outdoors or swim in the heat.)

Coach Cheryl has announced that next year at the Sprint Classic she's doing the Fastest Woman and Man awards as an aggregate of the time for the 4 x 25s. (This may be to prevent people skipping 25s -- I threatened to skip the 25 evil yesterday.) Just for kicks she re-calculated the results this way. Turns out, the winners would have been the same. I think my wide margin of victory in the 25 back compensated for my personal worst in the 25 breast (yep, checked previous years, this was my worst 25 breast ever, can't do evil anymore or else I really need to practice going shallower on the starts and turns).

Here are the aggregate results:

Women Quadathlon

Place Name Team Total 25BK 25BR 25FLY 25FR
    ================================================== ===================================
    1 Livingston, Leslie 49 GMUP-PV 54.66 13.32 16.51 12.62 12.21
    2 Van Erden, Jayme 25 RMST-PV 55.49 14.92 15.25 13.02 12.30
    3 Conze, Margaret 39 WARD-PV 56.13 15.01 16.49 12.66 11.97
    4 Grover, Mollie 29 TERR-PV 56.14 14.73 15.72 13.18 12.51
    5 Carlson, Jennifer 31 RMST-PV 56.29 14.96 15.97 13.21 12.15

Men Quadathlon

Place Name Team Total 25BK 25BR 25FLY 25FR
    ================================================== ===================================
    1 Roddin, Jeffrey 41 ANCM-PV 46.91 12.25 12.79 11.25 10.62
    2 Britt, Clay 49 ANCM-PV 47.86 12.38 13.40 11.18 10.90
    3 Doane, Michael 39 TERR-PV 49.28 14.28 12.86 11.26 10.88
    4 Barley, Adam 29 VMST-VA 49.39 12.78 13.69 11.66 11.26
    5 von Loewe, Pete 40 GMUP-PV 50.41 12.98 14.49 11.93 11.01

Meet results:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...10.Results.htm

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters Results:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...l25Results.htm

I'm still wondering about the impact of the lack of tech suits on meet attendance. It seems that, since the ban, every meet I've heard of has lower attendance. And that includes the Sprint Classic.

WRT the suit effect, a friend was asking if, given my 50 back, I thought the suits made virtually no difference unless you were trying to swim fast unrested and untapered. My answer is NO. I think the suits made a difference in speed and times will, generally, be slower without them. That's not to say you can't swim faster without them -- as The Little Devil proved -- just that I think they improved speed by some margin. I'm sure I'll suffer more in the 100s than in the 50s.

I am still rocking this husky voice thing, though my cough is better today. Perhaps I sweated out some of the poison.

Updated October 26th, 2010 at 08:42 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  11. Dead Cat Bounce, Oct. 24

by , October 24th, 2010 at 04:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    GMU Sprint Classic:

Journeyed to my home pool for the annual Sprint Classic hosted by GMU. I wasn't sure what to expect from this meet, but I am thrilled and relieved at how it went given recent circumstances. The lovely Eney Jones predicted a "dead cat bounce," [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce[/ame], and that's pretty much what happened. I just hope I can avoid further ensuing decline.

50 back, 28.1

I was absolutely shocked to see this time. But it was one of the rare instances where I executed almost perfectly -- start/turn/finish/SDKs were all very solid. My turn was especially sharp and (unlike LCM Zones) my turnover felt fast and smooth (though I was underwater for 14-15 meters each length). I have changed my backstroke start slightly, apparently to good effect. Instead of pulling up and in, I'm just pulling up and keeping my head straight. I think I get into the water slightly faster this way and am slightly shallower.

This time is faster than I swam at the Sprint Classic last year in a B70 (28.55) and faster than I swam tapered in Atlanta in a Jaked (28.3) Of course, I did forget my nose clip in Atlanta -- not today!

Honestly, I think this is my best swim of the entire year.

3 out of the last 4 of my fastest 50 backstrokes have been in this pool. Coincidence?

50 fly, 27.8:

This race was not as well executed, but I'm still very pleased with the time. My breakout was subpar, possibly because I hadn't pre-determined how many SDKs to take. But Coach Cheryl said my turn was excellent and that I pulled ahead with my SDKs. I tightened up the final few strokes and had an unfortunate long glide to the finish. Still, this time is only .2 slower than I swam last year in my B70. I only took a breath at the turn and one breath on the second length.

50 free, NS

Didn't swim this event. I was tired and shaky after the 50 fly and couldn't get my heart rate down fast enough. (There weren't that many heats between the 50 fly and 50 free.) I think scratching was a smart move.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Most fun part of the meet. Everyone swims 4 x 25. Winner is determined by place. This year, points were given for 5 places, 5-4-3-2-1.

25 back, 13.3

Nailed my backstroke start. Speedo said I had a nice underwater. This time is .4 seconds faster than last year in my B70. .4 seems like a awfully lot in a 25. I seem to recall my start wasn't very good last year. Finished 1st.

25 breast, ?

I honestly can't remember my exact time. I think it was a 16.5 (?), which is way way slower than last year's 15.69. I've always said that the speed suits made the most difference for me on breaststroke. This is further confirmation. I also went a bit too deep on the start and had a slight float up. I seem to do this frequently in the evilstroke. Finished 6th.

25 fly, 12.6:

Everything went perfectly and, unlike my 50, I nailed my finish. I just out touched a real speedster, and it was only because I beat her off the blocks. This is the same time I went last year in my B70. Finished 1st.

25 free, 12.2:

Ugh, the starter held us forever. I got off the blocks slowly and was kinda bummed. Was .2 slower than last year. Finished 4th.

In the end, I defended my title as the Fastest Woman in the Water, but it was very close. Lots of fast chicks in the pool this year. I got a nice USMS shirt as schwag. And congratulations to The Little Devil Roddin, who had blazing fast 25s and captured the Fastest Man in the Water award.

Congrats to Speedo "no SDKs for me," for winning the 50 free in a close race!

As always, so great to see all PV folks, including the Roddin baby bump.

Commentary:

I had no expectations whatever for this meet. So I'm happy to come away with a pair of good times in my best events. I guess I did enough speed work in the last couple weeks to keep the fast twitch muscles sharp. Now to start re-training and get back in shape for 100s as well.

Already feeling a bit sore ...

Updated October 24th, 2010 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  12. Swim, Friday, Oct. 22

by , October 22nd, 2010 at 03:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

900 various

Transition:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins

16 x 25
    odds = EZ speed fly w/fins
    evens = EZ
    -- Took 6 SDKs + 4 strokes per 25. That seems better than usual, but I was stretching it out.

50 EZ

Speed Work:

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)

200 EZ

Total: 2200

Commentary:

I felt sharper than yesterday. Still hacking, but slightly better. Apparently no one is really aware that SpringHill Rec has reopened, as it's still blissfully empty with cooler water. Looking through my blog, I can see that I haven't done a hard workout since my LT death set with Speedo on Sept. 30. So it looks like a full 3 week sickness taper for me! At least I've managed a modicum of speed work recently.

My neck is still wrenched. But I got a 45 minute emergency appt with my massage therapist, which I am dashing off to shortly.

Cough, cough, cough. Bring it!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Swim w/Speedo, Thursday, Oct. 21

by , October 21st, 2010 at 04:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo at Oak Marr:

Warm up:

750 various

12 x 25 @ :35
    mix of shooters & swims
    every 4th one with a power 15 meter kick

3 x 20/15/10 seconds of fast vertical dolphin kick w/hands at ears
    (only counted first one, 54)
    50 EZ after each

Speed Set:

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1800

Commentary:

I didn't feel too sharp today, not nearly as good as Tuesday. I'm assuming it's likely because I took yesterday off or spent too much time being honked off. Speedo looked sharp and had great turnover.

I finally found a link for the NE SCM Champs in December:

http://www.swimnem.org/entryforms/bu2010entry.pdf.

Not thrilled with the order of events. (I haven't complained in awhile, so I am due. ) The 100 fly and 100 IM are very close on Saturday and the 100 back and 50 fly are very close on Sunday. I don't recover that quickly from 100s. But it is a big meet, so perhaps it would be all right. I'm still hoping we have the Last Chance meet again here in DC.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Swim w/Speedo, Thursday, Oct. 21

by , October 21st, 2010 at 04:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo at Oak Marr:

Warm up:

750 various

12 x 25 @ :35
    mix of shooters & swims
    every 4th one with a power 15 meter kick

3 x 20/15/10 seconds of fast vertical dolphin kick w/hands at ears
    (only counted first one, 54)
    50 EZ after each

Speed Set:

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1800

Commentary:

I didn't feel too sharp today, not nearly as good as Tuesday. I'm assuming it's likely because I took yesterday off or spent too much time being honked off. Wrenched my neck on the second 25. Speedo looked sharp and had great turnover.

I finally found a link for the NE SCM Champs in December:

http://www.swimnem.org/entryforms/bu2010entry.pdf.

Not thrilled with the order of events. (I haven't complained in awhile, so I am due. ) The 100 fly and 100 IM are very close on Saturday and the 100 back and 50 fly are very close on Sunday (just the women's 200 free in between). I don't recover that quickly from 100s. But it is a big meet, so perhaps it would be all right. I'm still hoping we have the Last Chance meet again here in DC.

Here's a fun set a friend sent me:

Always a 50 free in the end. Start with a 25kick/50free, go to 50kick/50 free, to 75 kick/50free, you get the picture. I went up to a 200 kick/50free and did one in fly/free. Interval started on 1:30 and went up by 15 each time....starts mellow, gets super fast!(actually adjusted it to going up 20at125/150,175 and 200kick), 2600 total.

Updated October 21st, 2010 at 05:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. ART, Oct. 20

by , October 20th, 2010 at 09:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just went to ART for a 30 minute shoulder tune up. I love my chiro; our conversations are always so interesting and educational.

Didn't feel like swimming.

I was extremely honked off today after having a doctor, who obviously had no interest in my specific circumstances whatsoever, tell me to "exercise more and eat better." WTF?! I intensely dislike one-size-fits-all busy doctors. So glad you can review and comment on doctors on line now.

Updated October 20th, 2010 at 10:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    ART
  16. Swim, Tuesday, Oct. 19

by , October 19th, 2010 at 09:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 25 free w/over kick

Transition:

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free w/paddles
    evens = backstroke kick, last 25 fast

10 squat jumps off bottom

Speed Set:

6 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    2 free, 2 fly, 2 breast

100 EZ

Total: 2400

Commentary:

Swam at Spring Hill Rec today, which is finally open again after being closed for a couple months. The advantage over Oak Marr is that the lanes are less crowded and the water is cooler. Disadvantage: no digital clock and only one working pace clock right now. For this reason, I didn't bother with 50s; would have been too hard to see my times.

My left shoulder is slightly twingey. But, happily, I have an ART appt. tomorrow.

Cough is somewhat better today. But, unhappily, swimming seems to precipitate coughing.

I think our B2B relay dilemma is resolved. We have a 50 year old swimmer who just got back from KONA. I'm sure she'll be MUCH faster than me at a 2.4 mile distance. And now I can just concentrate on my 25s and 50s. (I know Mike Heather rolled his eyes at that statement. )
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Drylands, Oct. 18

by , October 18th, 2010 at 04:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
    windshield wipers, 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    box jumps, 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 15
    reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    elevated push ups, 2 x 15
    med ball floor slams, 15
    overhead tricep passes w/med ball, 15
    tuck knee jumps, 10
    variable reaction time drills w/Lil Fort, 15

RC exercises

15 minutes of yoga and stretching

Sitting in steam room hoping it would help cough.

Commentary:

Damn cough is still here. Argh! Still, I decided it was time to return to the gym for a slightly mellow dryland workout. I can't see killing it right before a meet.

Revised psych sheet is out:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...c2010Psych.htm 2 wall lanes.

Tomorrow, I'm having some more food allergy testing done and having blood drawn for some further thyroid, adrenal and metabolic screening. Oh fun!
  18. Swim, Sunday, Oct. 17

by , October 17th, 2010 at 04:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Mini @ Oak Marr:

After 3 months out of the pool, Mini Fort has decided it might be time to get back in a bit for the upcoming high school season. We did different things, but swam a couple sets together.

Warm up:

700 various

Mini helped me with evil; I helped her with SDKs. She needs more hip and lower back strength to really hammer these, I think.

Transition:

10 x 25 shooters, no fins
    5 on back, 5 on belly

10 x 25 free w/over kick, no fins

10 x (25 EZ speed fly w/fins + 25EZ)

1 x 20 second dolphin kicking AFAP w/hands near ears. Mini beat me by 2 (went 60).

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x (25 AFAP w/fins (except back) + 25 EZ + much rest)
    2 of each stroke
    did backstroke starts on backstroke

100 EZ

1 x 50 SDK AFAP (went :22 high)

150 EZ

Total: 2500

Commentary:

Still coughing and somewhat tired, making slow slow slow progress. Certainly not going anywhere in terms of aerobic conditioning this last week, but at least I've managed some speed play and speed work. And I've been in the water 6x (16,500 yards), so at least my feel is somewhat intact.

Here's the psych sheet for the Sprint Classic. Coach said she'd enter me in the 50 free as well. http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...c2010Psych.htm.

I may do a practice in the next couple days where I warm up and do my meet events -- 3 x 50s and 4 x 25s AFAP -- as my workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Saturday, Oct. 16

by , October 16th, 2010 at 04:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

650 various

Transition/Speed Play:

3 x (25 free w/over kick + 25 free w/over kick + 25 fast breast pull + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

3 x (25 free w/over kick + 25 free w/over kick + 25 fast underwater free recovery drill w/fast hands + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

3 x (25 free w/over kick + 25 free 2/over kick + 25 back w/backstroke start + 25 EZ)
    Went 13, 14, 15 SDKs on the starts. 15 is legal with a tank, so probably 14 is the safest at a meet.

50 EZ

3 x (25 EZ free + 25 fast free + 25 EZ free) w/fins

100 EZ

Speed Sets:

2 x (50 back AFAP + 150 EZ)

I wanted to do them both from a backstroke start, but on the first one I was sharing a lane so had to push off. So I did one with fins (:23) and one from a start (:29). Very pleased with the 29; that's the fastest I've gone in practice, though I typically do my speed work with fins.
    I'm trying to pull up on my start without pulling my head in.

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    free, breast, back kick, dolphin kick

100 EZ

Total: 3000

Commentary:

Bronchitis is still lingering. I had tentative plans to hit the gym with Jazzy tomorrow, but I am still just coughing too much. I may try to do some light dryland work before the Sprint Classic next weekend and just keep doing speed work.
    The psych sheets are out. Since I'm not going to Indy, I'm going to try to add the 50 free.

Going to L'Auberge Chez Francois tonight with friends, http://www.laubergechezfrancois.com/, and hoping not to get glutened.

Oh, this is rather funny. My whole life I've measured at 5 ft, 4 1/2 inches in height. Yesterday, at the doctors, I measured 5 ft, 5 1/2 inches. I'm a giant! I'm assuming it's the yoga. I've heard of people gaining an inch from yoga with its spine lengthening elements.

Updated October 17th, 2010 at 11:08 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Swim, Oct. 14

by , October 14th, 2010 at 05:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition/Technique Work:

12 x 25 free w/dorkel (no fins) emphasizing kick

I foresee a long transition period if I ever want to use this device. I'm not adept with it at all, and it precipitated some coughing fits. Here are some tips on how to use the dorkel: http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5611/fi...s-snorkel.html. I think it would be quite helpful to me in freestyle. Breathing is really somewhat incidental for the 50 free. And I feel like it really does help you concentrate on form and kicking.

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = Estonian breast drill
    evens = breast pull w/buoy, done as 25 fast + 25 easy

5 x (4 x 25 w/fins)
    25 twirling shooter + 25 twirling shooter + 25 EZ + 25 EZ speed fly

(My fly didn't feel quite as foreign today)

50 EZ

RA CNS Stimulation Set (from Swimmer mag):

3 x (5 x 50 (no fins) + 50 EZ)

1st 5 = freestyle
    6-7-8-9-10 fast strokes and then cruise the rest

2nd 5 = dolphin kick on belly
    8-9-10-11-12 fast kicks and then cruise the rest free

3rd 5 = freestyle
    6-7-8-9-10 fast strokes and then cruise the rest

150 EZ

Total: 2750

Commentary:

I am beyond frustrated with the lingering effects of bronchitis. Cough is just not under control, and keeping me up at night. It really takes a long time for me to kick this stuff; it just LINGERS.

I've decided that PRP to the foot is harder to recover from than PRP to the shoulder. I could always swim fairly well a couple days after, but my foot is still sore. Guess it's cuz I'm always walking with the darn thing ...

I'm off to senior night for cross country. Kinda bummed my senior isn't racing tonight. But they aren't "racing" in this quad meet anyway -- just doing some pace work to get ready for a big invitational on Saturday. Edit: Chatted with the AD a bit after the race. He said, despite having to automatically impose a 2 race suspension, that FortSon was a "rock star," "stood up," acted "honorably" and that he would tell him "well done" at graduation.

My vids from the 50 back/50 fly combo at the Sprint Classic last year are here: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=6079. I entered slower times this year in view of the bronchitis, lack of speed suit and being generally less ready. I had these same factors at play at the Albatross meet and I was about 1.5 seconds off my PRs in the two 50s there. Haven't seen a psych sheet yet. I'm curious about attendance.

I'm still going to try to train hard and well the next couple months even though I'm feeling less motivated. I want to be ready to go when I AARP up.

Updated October 14th, 2010 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts