http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Tuesday, Oct. 4

by , October 4th, 2011 at 09:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 20
    leg extension, 80 x 5 x 10
    assisted dips (20 lb assist), 15, 13, 14, 12
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 3 x 15
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 10

stretching & foam roller, 20 minutes

-- Think I did something else, but can't remember ... Making good progress on the 20 rep hi rows -- up 20 pounds since I re-started drylands. And doing more dips. I'm generally so much stronger at pulling than pushing that these were hard for me at first. Shoulders are tired tonight.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Just did a recovery swim after yesterday's brutal set. Quads still burning from that. Planning a speed workout for tomorrow.

Warm up:

600 various

Sets:

20 x 50 drills
    5 of each stroke:
    chest press fly
    backstroke with turtles
    russian breast
    free w/paddles

7-8 starts from side working on clean entries

4 x 150 w/paddles
    50 scull + 50 back kick + 50 free

50 EZ

Total: 2250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So after NHS induction last night, Teen Fort was whisked away and asked to another Homecoming dance. (She went with a friend to her own school's homecoming and guy #2 has been in hot pursuit for awhile.) See pic below. What I'm wondering is (1) why kids now seem to have such elaborate rituals for asking people to dances (candles?), and (2) isn't it per se unreasonable for me to have to go homecoming dress shopping again?

And I'm mulling over my entries for the Sprint Classic: https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1463&smid=3308. My main goal this meet is to break the NR in the 50 back, which is 28.7. I'm inclined to swim the 50 back and 50 fly and the 4 25s (same line up as last year). This year The Battle of the True Drop Dead Sprinters is going to be scored by aggregate time. I had been planning on the 100 back a couple months ago instead of the 50 fly, but don't feel I'm ready to bust out a great one yet without more training and a real taper. But I may sign up for the 100 back in case I need a do-over in the 50 back or if I feel great and want to give it a whirl.

Updated October 4th, 2011 at 09:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310671_10150338887228959_600058958_8032877_541594561_n.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	6760  
  2. LT Death Set, Monday, Oct. 3

by , October 3rd, 2011 at 05:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    9 x 50 fly drills (3x caterpillar, chest press, single arm)
    8 x 25 shooters
    5 x 50 torque drills
    4 x burst 25s dolphin kick
    100 EZ

LT Death Set:

8 x 100 fast: 4 @ 2:15, 4 @ 2:30
    -- did backstroke kick with fins
    -- went: 55 high, 57 high, 58, 58, 58, 58, 57 high, 55 high*

* Got a couple minutes extra rest before the last one b/c of , so went much faster.

-- I decided to bump up the interval slightly so I could simulate the length underwater of a 100 back. Generally, the SDK count per 25 was 12-10-9/10-8/10. I can't stay under as long on a 2:00 interval.
    -- The interval was largely irrelevant anyway as my legs were burning after the second one, quads being somewhat sore after yesterday's sprints in the yard. After 4 of them, I used only my hips/lower back on the underwater portion and saved the legs for the above water kicking.
    -- Definitely started off too fast. But it seems wrong to hold back too much on this kind of set.
    -- It was horribly painful.

By comparison, this is what I did a year ago with Pete:

8 x 100 @ 2:00, best average
    Went: 58, 57, 57, 57, 58, 58, 59, 58
    SDK count per 25 was 10-12, 7, 6, 4-5.

-- I'm sure swimming that set with Pete helped push me more than doing it solo. Started off more sensibly on that set as well. But with a bit more rest, I was under longer today.

300 EZ

Total: 2800

sit in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really need to stretch after that effort. Or at least hit the foam roller. Not too much time tonight as I must feed hungry people and rush off to Teen Fort's NHS induction.

Updated October 4th, 2011 at 09:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday, Oct. 2

by , October 3rd, 2011 at 12:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    TRX Drylands:

Y pulls, 2 x 20
    tricep extensions, 2 x 20
    squat jumps, 2 x 15
    lateral barrier jumps, 2 x 10
    knee ins, 2 x 10
    standing roll out, 2 x 15
    med ball throw for distance + AFAP sprint across lawn to retrieve, 10

Erg, 30 minutes:

This was the first time I've been on an erg. Had to get some tips from Mr. Fort first. I liked the erg better than the stationary bike. It hits all body parts and is great for back strength.

I had a super busy weekend -- no time for working out if I wanted any sleep. Which I always aspire to! Hence, I only managed a quick workout at home. My father in law was in town, Lil Fort had a soccer game and cross country race, it was Homecoming weekend and we had tickets to a 25th anniversary performance of Les Mis at the Kennedy Center. Whew. The cross country meet was brutal -- high 40s and rain. (This is freaking Nov weather.) But Lil Fort was game enough. It was her first race of any kind in the 11-12 age group; she finished 2nd and was very happy. After hours in the rain I was frozen. I had thought about trying to squeeze in an hour swim, but opted for a hot shower and downloading homecoming pics. One of Teen Fort below.

As a result of this busy-ness, that was almost a recovery weekend. Mini Fort warned me that my back would be sore after my first erg workout. Not so, I am fine. I don't feel like the TRX was much of a workout either but I will be cautious and bump drylands to Tuesday this week.

Trying to decide what kind of workout to do today ... Usually Monday is a speed workout, but I may opt for a dread lactate kick set.

Updated October 3rd, 2011 at 05:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	6759  
  4. Frustration, Friday, Sept. 30

by , September 30th, 2011 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 single arm fly
    6 x 25 shooters
    4 x burst 25s
    50 easy

Main Sets:

16-17 x 30-50
    -- dive from blocks
    -- work on 50 & 100 kick count to 15 +breakouts

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP back shooter w/fins + 50 EZ)
    -- went 9s
    -- can't really go much faster than this as I have to decelerate not to smash into the wall

2 more starts
    -- 5 minute fight with lifeguard who insists masters can't use the blocks during a designated masters swim

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins

-- ran out of time

Total: 2350

Massage, 75 minutes

I was running very late today and didn't make it to the pool on time to do any sort of real workout. So I mostly worked on starts. I continued using the Race Club style start. I started off very well and then had consistency problems, always ending up at different depths, etc. On one, for example, I got great distance off the blocks, but was too deep and 12 kicks put me at about 17 meters. Sigh. A few I completely botched by not getting my hands together in time and twisting in the water. If I did that in a race, I'd have to bail. The block I was using was very loose, and that probably didn't help any.

I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to keep with this start? But my other starts have always been great reaction time + very mediocre entry and distance off block. In contrast, in a couple starts today, I just nailed it and got much more distance off the blocks -- so much so that it might effect my kick count. So I am inclined to persist.

However, the other problem is that one of the lifeguards asserted that her boss said we couldn't do starts off the blocks on Fridays. There are no cones on the blocks or anything. I guess they watched me do a sh*tload of them before unleashing that bomb?! If they stick to this policy, I won't have much opportunity to do any starts. The whole start thing is just beyond frustrating for me as it's the #1 thing I need to fix to go faster. For years, I've just been faking instead of nailing starts and in some instances, it's cost me major time or a win (like my 50 free at Nationals this summer).

Can you tell I am frustrated? One day I may just have to pack myself off to The Race Club. Right now, I just feel like I can't fix this without a coach. The odd thing is that I never remember having any trouble with starts as an age grouper.

I am also extremely frustrated that the regatta I wanted to attend this fall to watch Fort Son (Princeton Chase) is the same day as the Sprint Classic -- Oct. 30. I'm not sure any others are driveable.

In other news, I gave my new fins a spin. Wow, they are much stiffer than my old ones that finally gave out. Hard to do flip turns when they're that stiff. I also tried fin socks the other day with my MF. Dislike -- I did not feel at one with my MF even though it stayed on better.

Drylands --

Saw this Natalie Coughlin vid with excerpts on drylands she uses in training: http://sports.yahoo.com/elite-athlet...n?vid=26748272. Jazz would hate it. The ropes especially intrigued me, and are an upper body plyo that I could do in the racquetball courts. No surprise that it's all about power!

Updated October 1st, 2011 at 11:41 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Thursday, Sept. 29

by , September 29th, 2011 at 08:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kick on bosu, 100
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15

HS hi row, 105 x 3 x 20
    assisted dips w/20 assist, 13, 12
    DB bench press, 60 x 3 x 12
    deadlift singles, warm ups to 145, then 150 x 5, 145 x 3

altitude drops, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    standing track start jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 10
    med ball slams 5:00+
    handstands, 15

Feeling a twinge at the very top of my left quad after that. Maybe I did it on the deadifts? Hoping it won't interfere with starts tomorrow. Trying the foam roller.

Someone at the gym remarked that I do not have "swimmer legs." lol I guess the public perception of swimming coincides with many masters' dislike of kicking.
  6. Wed., Sept. 28

by , September 28th, 2011 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    6 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 scull
    4 x 25 burst + cruise

Main Sets:

6 x broken 100s + 150 EZ @ 5:00
    -- @ 100 race pace
    -- broken at 25s for :15

1-3 backstroke, no fins
    -- went 1:05s on all three
    -- 16, 16, 16, 17 on the 25s
    -- 14, 13, 13, 12 kicks off walls

4-6 fly w/fins
    -- went :56 (too cautious), 52, high 51
    -- splits: #4, all 14s; #5, all 13s, #6 12, 13, 13, 13
    -- fly felt strong and smooth after weeks of feeling like crap

-- definitely gasping for breath at the end of all 6, but the backstroke 100s felt harder.

4 x 25 free w/parachute & paddles

100 EZ

Total: 2950

Bikram, 90 minutes

A very unusual occurrence -- Lil Fort got a ride both ways to swim practice with the 2 families we carpool with. So I am heading off to the 8:00 pm bikram class in 20 minutes.

I slept terribly last night (thunderstorms and other issues) and my legs were somewhat tired from yesterday's kicking. So I did not have high hopes for this workout. Nonetheless, I was fairly pleased with the broken 100s and liked the set. Next time, I may bump the rest down @ the 25s down to :10.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Tuesday, Sept. 27

by , September 27th, 2011 at 07:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 single arm

Hypoxic/MF Sets:

25 x 20 shooters w/MF
    5 each -- back/belly/left side/right side/360 twirling

8 x 50 breast w/MF @ 1:15
    -- long pullouts

3 x 100 shooters w/MF @ 2:30
    -- only breathe between flags and wall with quick flip
    -- hard!

6 x 50 shooters w/MF @ 1:30
    -- 1 quick breath at turn

100 EZ

20 x 25 1 breath free w/paddles @ 15 RI

100 EZ

Total: 3150

Was sore from yesterday's weights, so did a hypoxic/kick/recovery type workout today. I am hoping I will have the willpower to stretch later. I'm normally fairly disciplined, but I hate stretching even though I know it's good for me. I"m better with the foam roller and the stick. Planning to nick a chowmi set tomorrow.

Here's a couple interesting articles from Swimming Science:

resisted swimming: http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...-swimming.html. For me, it's worth it to increase force output because I already have a high stroke rate.

ankle flexibility: http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...g-part-ii.html

efficacy of PRP: http://sportsmedresearch.blogspot.co...-injuries.html

Many other articles, some about drylands, on their FB site.

Updated September 27th, 2011 at 09:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sept. 25-26

by , September 26th, 2011 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Sunday:

Bikram, 90 minutes

In case someone missed PWB's comment ... Here is a vid explaining why Texas women use bikram in their training: http://www.texassports.com/allaccess/?media=265349

Swim: 30 minutes slow

Monday:

Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 20
    skull crushers, 40 x 3 x 15
    assisted dips (20 lb assist), 1 x 10, 2 x 8
    Cavic horizontal fly raise, 3 x 30
    abductor machine, 120 x 3 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 2 x 10, 290 x 1 x 10
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    box jumps, 10
    knee tuck jumps 2 x 10
    standing jumps from track start position, 10
    med ball slams, 5 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 single arm fly
    6 x 25 shooters

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 done as:
    -- standing broad jump from side of pool to bottom, squat jump off bottom dolphin kicking hard, fast eggbeater kick to mid-pool and then cruise to wall. when hit the wall, 10 second AFAP flutter kick, then right into backstroke start and fast dolphin kicks to 15 m, then cruise in.
    -- very hard

100 EZ

Pyramid 50 frees @ 2:00
    AFAP breakout & 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3 fast strokes + cruise

100 EZ

8 x 25 w/fins & parachute
    -- burst dolphin kick to 15 m and cruise

100 EZ

Total: 2300

Feeling pretty tired after today's effort, which was just about power and top speed. Forgot to bring something to munch on in car between workouts. Felt it some in the pool.

Had a trying weekend. Teenage daughters are a huge pita.
  9. Block Bliss, Friday, Sept. 23

by , September 23rd, 2011 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

-- The blocks were in at Mason, , so I threw out my planned workout and did fast race pace swims off the blocks. I was so anxious that I had to force myself to warm up first!

Warm up:

600 various
    4 x 50 single arm fly
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    4 x 50 burst 15 + cruise (2 free, 2 dolphin)
    50 EZ

Speed Work:

6 x 25 fly off the blocks @ 100 pace + 25 cruise back
    -- working on # kicks to the 15 & breakouts
    -- 11-12 kicks is safest for 100 pace depending on depth of start
    -- took my time on these

100 EZ

2 x 25 AFAP backstroke from blocks
    -- high 13, 14
    -- cramped on 2nd one
    -- 25 EZ after each and float around
    -- not as fond of backstroke starts in practice b/c my feet are in a different position than at meets (toes above gutter so I don't slip)

100 EZ

2 x 50 fast from blocks + 200 EZ
    -- did fly-back
    -- went mid-high 29 on first one @ 100 IM pace
    -- second one Coach Cheryl (who was working out in the next lane) joined me. I went low 29 and she went high 29. Though she rarely competes, she is very speedy.

3 x 50 off blocks
    -- breaststroke start + cruise back
    -- legs tired, so decided to stop starts

50 EZ

8 x 25 free w/paddles & parachute
    -- Coach Cheryl also tried the parachute and like it b/c it forced her to sprint to avoid sinking.

100 EZ

Total: 2850

No, I did not use fins from the block! Though I have seen USAS teams do this. I was pretty happy with my efforts. As I recall, I took my last 100 IM out in 28.7, so this was a good practice time with a regular suit. I may drag out my B70 and use that off the blocks next week. From now on, everything on Friday is off the blocks + mega rest. So psyched!

I did all my starts today "race club style," i.e., like the one adopted successfully by Water Rat at Auburn. To my surprise, despite the slingshot, I was getting through the hole very well until the end. I'm just not sure if the arms swooping from the side thing makes me slower off the blocks. Will try my usual start next week to compare.

I'm liking my schedule the last two weeks:
    M = speed + weights
    T = aerobic + hypoxic
    W = lactate
    Th = weights
    F = speed
    -- The only flaw was not getting yoga in so far.
    I want to get one team practice and one bikram session in this weekend.

My only slight peeve of the day was that after getting an amazing unprecedented night's sleep on Wed., I slept not a wink last night. Just tossed and turned. No idea what happened there.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Thursday, Sept. 22

by , September 22nd, 2011 at 08:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands w/Jazz:

face pulls, mystery weight 5 x 5 x 20
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15 (while Jazz was doing zillions more pulls)
    full stop DB row w/40 DBs, 3 x 15, each side
    seated straight arm lat pulldowns, 7 x 5 x 10, 8 x 1 x 10, 9 x 1 x 5 (mystery weights)
    overhead shoulder presses, 30 x 5 x 10 (arms tiring)
    lower back machine, 105 x 3 x 15
    -- different machine than I've used before. really liked this one.
    standing broad jumps, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    altitude drops, 10

Stretching/Foam Roller, 20 minutes

Had a fun lifting session with Jazz. Always nice not to lift solo. Jazz did scoff with derision at my extreme angle isometrics, refusing to believe they could be associated with explosive eccentric power because of their length.

The most amazing and unexpected thing happened last night. I slept 8 hours straight without waking up once. To my recollection this has not occurred since I was 38. Seriously. I've read that waking up in the night is deadly for feeling rested and having good energy. This am I woke up feeling (comparatively) like I had an adrenaline injection. I felt like I could have worked out all day. Fortunately, my daughters and some semblance of caution stopped me. I have a speed and core workout on the agenda tomorrow.

Fort Son has his first crew race this weekend. Seems to be good friends with all the lightweight rowers already, and is already "bleeding green." Mr. Fort has made a Cornell Masters boat that will be rowing at the Head of the Charles (huge regatta) in Boston in October. I'm hoping Fort Son may be there too, though I'm not sure if they take frosh rowers.

Updated September 22nd, 2011 at 09:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Wed. Sept. 21

by , September 21st, 2011 at 05:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters w/MF, exaggerating up and down motion
    5 x 60 -- dive from side, 12 dolphin kicks @ 100 pace to 15 + fly breakout, cruise back

Lactate Set:

4 x 75 best average @ 1:30
    -- did dolphin kick on back w/MF
    -- 13 quick kicks per length, then on top of water
    -- went 39, 39, 38, 39
    -- really hard on 1:30. the lack of O2 and hard effort is a beastly combo
    150 EZ

3 x 75 best average @ 1:45
    -- IM: fy/back/breast w/fins
    -- went 50, 48, high 47-48
    -- kicked harder on last 2
    150 EZ

2 x 75 best average @ 1:30
    -- did flutter kick w/board for the sole purpose of being able to breathe
    -- went 44-45, 46-47
    150 EZ

1 x 75 best average
    -- did fly, went :43
    -- had cramp in right calf
    150 EZ

Ouch. Lactate sets are hard to do on your own too. Maybe all of swimming is hard to do OYO unless it's a quickie sprint workout. Stole this set from Jeff Comming's blog. Not swimming tomorrow after 3 really solid workouts in a row. Meeting up with Jazzy for weights at noon.

Trying to stay calm ... trying to stay calm. Had the only hair disaster of my life. Went in for zapping of gray + cut as a golden blonde. Came out an entirely different dark color. The only conclusion we could reach was that the bottle was defective or mislabeled. Really not a happy camper at the moment. Going in for some damage control tonight while Lil Fort is at swim practice. Argh!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Tuesday, Sept. 20

by , September 20th, 2011 at 07:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    8 x 25 shooters w/MF

My Version of a 100 Fly Set:

15 x 100, done as:

5 x 100 broken shooters w/MF
    -- all UW
    -- broken 10 seconds at each 25
    -- 3 @ 2:30, 2 @ 3:00
    -- not easy

200 EZ

5 x (100 broken fly w/fins + 100 EZ)
    -- only 6 SDK off walls
    -- broken 10 seconds each 25
    -- easy speed fly a bit slower than 100 pace
    -- no interval, that wasn't the point
    -- baby steps

200 EZ

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:30

200 EZ

Total: 3700

Was tired after yesterday's double, but not flattened. Felt good enough to get in some yards geared toward my 100 fly. Considered going to bikram late tonight, but I think I might be "overdoing," so just stretched instead.

I was very lucky to dodge a lanemate today since I swam during lunch hour. I think the MF discouraged some. One women had the gall to try to ask me about it on one of my precious 10 second breaks. Do they not see I am breathing hard and looking at the clock? I completely ignored her, really had no other choice.

It has been so long since I last did a real aerobic set (I usually get them in LCM over the summer), that I'm wondering if I have lost my ability to do one ... Though my heart rate was up on everything today. :-)

Updated September 20th, 2011 at 10:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  13. Phoenix, Sept. 19

by , September 19th, 2011 at 08:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 20 (+10)
    push press, 40 x 2 x 15
    explosive leg press, 250 x 2 x 10 (+20)
    squat jumps w/45 bar, 15*
    altitude drops from highest box (42 inch), 2 x 10
    EA step ups w/20 lb DBs, 10
    EA iso squat w/20 lb DB, 5:00
    EA bicep hold w/8 lb DBs, 1:30 (couldn't find 5 lb DBs)
    EA push up hold, 1:30 (+ 30 sec)
    med balls slams, 5:00 or so
    -- 15 floor slams, 15 overhead slams, 15 rotational twist slams, 15 reverse overhead throws, something else

* This is the squat machine I attempted to do squat jumps on (and have previously): http://keiser.com/products/air300/squat.html. Today, I was kicked off by a trainer b/c it is a "trainer only" machine. Incredible BS.

** I saw on Jeff Commings blog that he recently did 4 x 20 box jumps. Holy crap!

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

10 x 25 back shooters

Sprint Sets:

6 x (4 x 25)
    1st 25 = burst 15 + cruise
    2nd 25 = burst 15 +cruise
    3rd 25 = easy
    4th 25 = fast 25
    50 easy between each round

Rounds: fly, back, breast, free, dolphin kick on stomach, dolphin kick on back
    -- on fly, just did easy speed
    -- on back, I did back spin drill on the bursts
    -- on breast, no pull outs
    -- on free, just free, felt fast

200 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP back from blocks + 25 EZ)
    -- I should have followed chowmi's rule of nailing the finish and then looking at the clock. Times probably would have been a half second slower.
    -- Went 14 (15 kicks), 13 high (17 kicks), 13 high (17 kicks), 13 high (16 kicks)
    -- Pretty sure I went past the 15 m mark with the 17 kicks. 15-16 is usually my max for a high cycle kick start. I was just deeper than usual on the start, possibly because I put my toes over the gutter so as not to slip and was thus pulling up higher.

100 EZ

8 x 25 free parachute & paddles
    -- parachute fully closed

100 EZ

Total: 2750

I rose from the couch today and managed a hard double. Go me. My arms are very tired tonight. And, honestly, I think it's mostly from the parachute. That thing is beastly.

I experimented with a new nose clip today. Almost every available nose clip comes off my nose. But these laxto clips stay on fairly well: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1833.htm. They come in S-M-L, and a S was perfect. Very glad b/c the Best Nose Clip In The World has been discontinued. I have also, after years of being a fin cheater, worn out my fins. Should get a new pair tomorrow. My fave kind are the Water Gear fins, which are quite stiff: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/29710.htm. I'm not a fan of most other floppy fins, at least for dolphin kick.

Updated September 19th, 2011 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  14. Sept. 17-18

by , September 18th, 2011 at 11:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Most of Saturday was lovely. Lil Fort scored the winning goal in her soccer game and later ran a great race in her first cross country meet, bringing home a medal and a smile. I squeezed in 60 minutes of P90X stretch on my day off. And I had a nice dinner with Mr. Fort where, unlike Q, the service and dinner were quite good. Like Q, however, whatever I ate did not agree with me and a loss of electrolytes ensued. Unlike Q, I did not make it to the pool today. I watched 8 episodes of the first season of 24 streaming on my TV from netflix and played Words with Friends. That is not a flog listing unfortunately. So I got even more unexpected recovery in! Hope tomorrow will be an improvement and I can train.
    Categories
    Yoga
  15. Sept. 15-16

by , September 16th, 2011 at 07:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Thursday:

Bikram, 90 minutes:

This was the first class since re-starting post-taper that I haven't felt like flying out of the room to grab more water or air. A comparatively easy class. My back seemed tighter than usual, but was probably from the lactate dolphin kick set.

Friday:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters on back with fins

8 x 50 burst 15 + cruise
    (2 free, 2 back, 4 dolphin)

Speed Sets:

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
    -- Didn't look at clock for intervals. Hit the hottub after the first two b/c I felt tight, then got back in.

#1 fly, 25
    #2 fly, 25
    #3 fly-back, low 26 (bad turn)
    #4 breast, 31

-- Fly felt dreadful again -- very choppy and forced. But at least the flys were faster than I went last week.

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 cruise)
    -- Did SDK on back from a push, no fins
    -- Went 13s, pretty good. I noticed Ande went 11.2 from a dive. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

100 EZ

Total: 2650

15 minutes of tubbing

There are still no blocks up at Mason.

Still do not feel speedy. Well, my kick feels speedy but nothing else. Dolphin kick, the fifth stroke, has apparently become my best stroke. My fly feels particularly foreign. Hopefully, it will come around with more fast pace and easy speed work. (I haven't felt mentally or physically up to longer fly distances yet.) And I've only been at the speed work for a couple weeks. I resisted the urge to do parachute work.

I am also trying to resist the urge to make Fort Son feel guilty. One of my masters swimmer friends (and former secret nemesis) has a son rowing crew at another college. He skypes several times a week and texts her every day. I have yet to hear how orientation is going or whether he likes his roommate. No, wait, I did get one text asking if he could use his credit card for something. (rolls eyes)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  16. Wed., Sept. 14

by , September 14th, 2011 at 07:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

6 x 50 single arm drill @ 1:00

4 x 50 burst dolphin kick on belly + cruise @ 1:00

4 x 30
    backstroke start + burst dolphin kick to 15 + cruise back

100 EZ

Lactate Sets:

Lactate MF Kick:
    12 x 50 best average/start fast @ 1:30 done as:

4 x 50 double shooter w/MF
    -- high 21, 22, 22, 23
    -- air deprivation got to me on #4; it's hard to stay UW on lactate stuff
    -- I was holding back a teeny bit on the first one so was surprised to see 21 on the clock.
    1:00 rest
    4 x 50 dolphin kick w/MF & board
    -- held 26 high
    -- the MF seems somewhat slower on top of the water than long blade fins. huh.
    1:00 rest
    4 x 50 dolphin kick on back on surface w/MF (only 5 kicks UW)
    -- held mid 26s

200 EZ

10 x 25 w/fins @ 1:00 best average
    odds = free
    evens = backstroke kick on back
    --held 12s

200 EZ

Did not feel quite so hammered after a recovery day and good night's sleep. So I decided to go ahead with the dreaded lactate work, but focused on legs as shoulders were still fatigued. I did decide to lay off the weights until next Monday. Just doing yoga tomorrow -- no extra plyos, parachutes, TRX, or handstands in the yard.

This reminds me of something one of the bikram instructors says every class: "This will be the hardest 90 minutes of your young life." No. Hard, true, but not like a nasty lactate set. Another thing I've been told that strikes me as odd is that Bikram C. wanted everyone to look to the right or left during the asanas on the floor poses "otherwise everyone would fall in love." I'm thinking -- who would fall in love with a sweat drenched tired yogi? We are not exactly looking fetching during class.

Oh, I hate it when noodlers try to chat when one is gasping for breath between repeats on a lactate set! I don't want to take that time to educate them about what a monofin is and why I'm using it.

Here's an article Jazz posted in comments a few days back: http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1403

Updated September 14th, 2011 at 09:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. I'm No Dara, Tuesday, Sept. 13

by , September 13th, 2011 at 10:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

9 x 50
    3 x single arm fly/single arm back/SSR drill

3 x (10 x 25 back shooters w/MF @ :30)

200 EZ

5 x 100 IM drill @ 2:00

100 EZ

Total: 2600

Stretching & Foam Roller, 30 minutes

I must be getting old. I can't even do two days in a row of drylands without feeling hammered. I was very sore today and so just did the scheduled recovery workout. I'm not sure whether to work through it or take a recovery week wrt weights right now, but I'm inclined to do the latter. And I'll probably shift my lactate workout from tomorrow until Friday depending on how I feel tomorrow.

Seems like I frequently get overzealous wrt drylands. Will I ever learn? I expect to be sore, but it's not particularly smart to do them back to back. Is it impossible for a master's body to adjust to that?

I'm also pretty sure the high rep lower weight upper body exercises are harder for me than the low rep higher weight ones I was doing last season. Shoulders feel more fatigued.

On other news, Fort Son seems happy and starts freshman week orientation tomorrow. He's probably ready for the year to start since he's been on campus since his freshman trip ended Sept 8. My girls have started their fall sports. My skinny sprouting Lil Fort is doing cross country for the first time, and reports loving to run in the woods. She was also all smiles after her first swim team workout yesterday. Mini Fort is swimming and erging this fall to prep for high school swimming and winter crew training.

Here's another swimming dryland that Q and Jazz can mull over: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...st-Progression

Updated September 14th, 2011 at 12:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Monday, Sept. 12

by , September 12th, 2011 at 06:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    assisted dips, 20 assist 1 x 8, 30 assist 2 x 12
    Cavic horizontal cable raise, 20 x 3 x 25
    (I took 26 strokes in my last 100 fly)
    HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 20
    "Leaper machine" -- don't know what this new machine at my gym is called. It's a squat machine, but with a flat surface to stand on and you can set the weight in 1 lb increments. I arbitrarily set it at 50 and did 2 x 15 squat jumps. Hard, but v cool way to do plyos. Was just trying it out today as I did plyos yesterday.
    extreme angle iso squat w/15 DB, 5:00
    extreme angle left lunge, 3:00*
    extreme angle push up hold, 1:00
    extreme angle bicep hold w/5 lb DBs, 3:00

* I am eliminating the extreme angle iso lunges. They are too tortuous and I dislike them. I'd rather substitute the extreme angle step ups with DBs, which I've done on many occasions and serve the same purpose of building eccentric strength.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

10 x 25 shooter on back

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 backstroke spin drill + cruise

50 EZ

3 x (5 x 50 @ 1:30)
    1st set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise
    2nd set: dolphin kick on stomach, 9/10/11/12/13 kicks fast + cruise
    3rd set: free, 6/7/8/9/10 strokes fast + cruise

50 EZ

8 x (25 fast + 25 EZ) @ 1:30
    odds = fast hands breast
    evens = fast doggy paddle

warmed down in hot tub for 10 min

Total: 2500

Commentary:

Miscalculated. I should have left the drylands for Tuesday. I was really tired in the pool after a double yesterday and drylands today. Almost abandoned the workout and did a recovery swim, but was worried I might feel worst tomorrow. It actually felt a bit better as I went along. The 3 x (5 x 50) set is a favorite of Rich A.

I'm struggling to get into a routine, and I need one now that summer is over. And I would prefer one where the drylands wouldn't kill my speed in the pool. Looking at my flog, I did 4 dryland workouts and a couple days of parachute work in 8 days. Not consistent with my plan of doing 2 x weights + 1 core. I guess I've been happy to get back to the gym after that month of only swimming? And I feel like I might need a recovery week soon. If I take it next week, then I could hit it hard for 4 weeks and take a week off before the Sprint Classic.

Tentative plan for the week:

Monday: weights/speed
    Tuesday: slow recovery swim/yoga
    Wed: lactate set/stretch
    Thursday: weights/plyos (can't go to my team practice b/c of Back to School night)
    Friday: speed/yoga
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: team practice

Speedo -- want to meet on Friday?

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  19. Sunday, Sept. 11

by , September 11th, 2011 at 10:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Was stuck at home mid-afternoon, so played around with my TRX:

TRX squat jumps, 3 x 15
    TRX standing roll outs (moving plank) 3 x 15
    TRX knee ins, 3 x 10
    TRX lateral barrier jumps (2 legs) 3 x 15
    TRX sprinter starts, 2 x 20
    TRX tricep extension, 3 x 15*
    TRX Y deltoid fly, 3 x 15

* In general, I haven't found that many TRX exercises that are great for the upper body
    (though I am still very novice). But I liked this one a lot and it really "worked" the core too.

Bikram, 90 minutes:

The class was surprisingly not very crowded. Hence, the heat was more bearable. Though I had really had enough by the last few postures. I would be oh so much happier if it were 75 minutes instead of 90. Balance was pretty sucky today.

Enjoyed my TRX workout. Still need to do some more googling and experimenting to find which exercises I like best.

The happy news of the day is that Mr. Fort easily got his BQ at the Lehigh Marathon. They had re-routed the course due to flooding and he said it was harder than Boston. Last year to qualify he ran a 3:32 on a flat course and then bonked in Boston and went 3:40. Today, with some injury free hard training, he ran a 3:27:54, 7+ minutes below the BQ for his age group (50-55) of 3:35. There is a new registration system for Boston that favors the fastest runners. The prognosticators apparently believe that running 3 minutes below the BQ will be sufficient to secure entry. So Mr. Fort should be safe. His Garmin went on the blink, so he was fortunate to have his training partner to pace him for 20 miles. He ran a 7:30 final mile, which was his fastest mile. Wow. But then he ended up in the medical tent on an IV. He's fine now and happy about the results. The marathon is on Monday April 16, about 10 days before Nationals start next year. Same weekend as Zones again, darn it.

Updated September 12th, 2011 at 12:13 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  20. MF Love, Friday, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2011 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Mason:

Warm up:

700 various
    6 x 50 single arm drill

Hypoxic Sets:

10 x 25 back shooters w/MF @ :40
    10 x 25 belly shooters w/MF @ :40
    -- 8 kicks per length w/MF
    50 EZ
    10 x 50 double shooters w/MF @ 1:15
    50 EZ

Recovery:

8 x 50 w/paddles @ 1:00
    odds = free
    evens = flutter kick w/paddles as board

Power Set:

8 x 25 back shooter w/MF & parachute
    -- 13 kicks instead of the usual 8
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 free w/paddles & parachute @ 1:15
    -- went 18-19s
    50 EZ
    -- pool closed
    -- warm down in hot tub.

Total: 3000

I wanted to do some easy speed hypoxic work today. I did very little hypoxic work during the long course season. Need to ramp it up again for short course underwaters, especially on my recovery days.

The parachute work is just killer. I probably should save the parachute for the end of a speed day rather than a recovery day. I've gotten in 5 swims this week + 2 drylands thus far, and I'm pretty beat. Glad I have a massage tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off and may just do yoga on Sunday.

Mr. Fort is running in the Lehigh Marathon on Sunday to attempt to get his BQ. Unlike his recent two marathons, his training had been pretty solid and injury free. His training partner is running the last 20 miles with him to get a solid long run in before he competes in the Chicago Marathon. He definitely has some taper bitchies.

The sun finally shone here today after many days of pouring rain!

Updated September 9th, 2011 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts