http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Sunday, May 15

by , May 15th, 2011 at 05:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    power wheel roll outs, knees on bosu, 2 x 12
    standing lat pulldown, 130 x 1 x 10, 140 x 2 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 10
    bulgarian single leg squats w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 10 each leg
    rear delt fly, 70 x 2 x 12
    med ball plyo slams in racquetball court, 5:00

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

15 x 50
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :45
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 drill @ :15 RI

50 EZ

Speed Work:

10 x burst dolphin kick 25s (no fins) @ 1:00
    5 back, 5 belly

50 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP kick w/fins & board + 50 easy kick + sit on board and wait)
    5 dolphin kick, 3 flutter kick
    -- I wanted to swim these free & fly, but I was sharing a narrow lane with an aqua jogger. Opted to kick instead.

50 EZ

Total: 2350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Took yesterday off. Had Lil Fort's soccer game and the VA State rowing champs. Fort Son's lightweight 4 rowed their best race of the season, but 2 of the rowers including Fort Son blacked out right after the finish line and were taken in on the launch. Overexertion and probably improper nutrition. I had to sprint a mile to get to the boathouse to check on him. They are very excited for the Stotesbury Regatta next weekend, which is the largest high school rowing event in the nation. Mr. Fort and I are leaving Friday night to catch up with friends in Philly and see the semi-finals and finals on Saturday.

Today, I got up at the crack of dawn to watch Lil Fort's Girls on the Run Nova 5K at Mason. There were over 9,000 runners at the event. Lil Fort (running with Mr. Fort as her run buddy) was happy to crush her PB despite it being very crowded the first mile, running a 25+ I was a little bleary in my workouts today from lack of sleep. Need to catch up on sleep this week.

Updated May 16th, 2011 at 03:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. LCM Solo, Friday, May 13

by , May 13th, 2011 at 04:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM/Solo @ GMU:

Warm up:

500 various

Main Sets:

9 x 100 @ 2:00
    3 kick, 3 drill, 3 swim
    -- Still warming up, shoulders hurt from weights.

10 x 50 shooter w/MF + cruise kick
    -- Went to 35-40 meter mark UW. Didn't want to push it further given air quality and my lung quality.

8 x 50 drill @ :15 RI
    2 x IM order

100 EZ

-- Thought I was going to have to get out here. But some Mason swimmers came in to swim and the supervisor (Peter Ward wasn't there) saw my USMS cap, asked me what I was training for, and told me I could stay. So I carried on.

10 x 50 shooters w/MF + cruise kick
    -- Same as before, went to 35-40 meter mark on back or belly

12 x 50 w/fins @ 1:15
    2 x IM order
    -- Went high 31s on the fly 50s, just cruising and breathing every other stroke. So I probably did go 28ish last night when I was trying to sprint.

100 EZ

Total: 3600 m

10-15 minutes hot tub

Commentary:

One of the most enjoyable solo workouts I've had in awhile -- probably the novelty of long course + cool water. It was a pure recovery workout and I just cruised and worked on technique. It was so very nice to do shooters in a LC pool. Have the usual panoply of kids activities tomorrow so will either take an off day or go to yoga later in the day.

Still mulling over what to do this summer. The USAS teams' practice hours are just too obscenely early for me. I may see if I can swim a couple times a week with the Terrapin Masters.

Updated May 13th, 2011 at 05:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday, May 12

by , May 12th, 2011 at 11:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work
    standing barbell shoulder press, 50 x 5 x 5
    -- Never done this before. They got easier as I went along. Can this be an alternative to bench pressing in the "push" category?
    seated row negatives, 80 x 3 x 8
    deadlift singles, 145 x 6
    tricep press, 50 x 2 x 8
    back extensions, 25 x 1 x 15
    --- Hamstrings were sore from bikram and this exercise bothered them.
    chin ups, 3 x 4
    -- Well, I can tell I haven't done these in half a century.
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

20 minutes foam roller, yoga & stretching

Swim/LCM @ GMU:

Warm up:

200 S-K-D-K-D

Main Sets:

2 x 100 free
    50 tricep finish drill + 50 overkick free

4 x 200 kick w/fins @ 4:00
    50 flutter kick w/board
    50 fast dolphin kick on back
    50 backstroke kick
    50 flutter kick w/board
    -- Went 2:36, 2:34, 2:32, 2:32, not bad for LC.

100 EZ

9 x 100 @ 2:00
    3 x 100 25 fast fly + 75 easy free
    3 x 100 25 fast back + 75 easy free
    3 x 100 25 fast breast + 75 easy free
    -- On the 75 free, I did a 25 back kick after the sprint so I could catch my breath and then a 50 free.
    --- Speedo and I agreed that "easy free" doesn't seem so easy in LC.

50 fast stroke from a dive
    -- I went fly with fins from a push. The coach must have given me a serious roll start b/c I saw 28 on the clock. I did, however, cheat and stay under for about 20 meters after the push.

50 EZ

6 x 100 pull @ 1:35, 2nd & 5th ones fast
    -- I did them all mod speed, 3 pull & 3 kick -- was all tuckered out.

50 EZ (instead of 200)

Total: 3700 m

Commentary:

Enjoyed the workout. Didn't feel as much like I was swimming in open water during the warm up and felt pretty strong until the last 6 x 100 set.

The Charmer was extra charming tonight. He is a "purist" and believes in the "integrity of the set" (even though he won't use equipment when it's assigned). His "times" are about "what is on the GMU record board," his brother is going to beat Kirk Nelson in some OW swim with salmon in the name, and he is hoping to swim his college times (really?) and loves to talk about them. At some point, fortunately, I had the opportunity to fill him in a tad on Speedo's speed and defend our one team breaststroker. Despite swimming in the same lane, he hasn't even asked what my name is. Sheesh!

Updated May 13th, 2011 at 11:20 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wed., May 11

by , May 11th, 2011 at 10:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Just went to yoga today, although 90 minutes of bikram is not exactly a vacation. I did a little googling on bikram and asthma; bikram is actually supposed to help alleviate symptoms. I had no issues today. And I rocked the standing bow, which I recall Q calls the "wounded crane."

Plan to do a gym + long course swim tomorrow. I may go to GMU on Friday as well just to use my monofin in long course.
    Categories
    Yoga
  5. Loooong Course, Tuesday, May 10

by , May 10th, 2011 at 11:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

windshield wipers, 25
    long arm crunches, 25
    flutter kick on bosu, 50
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    power wheel push ups, 2 x 10 (way harder than regular push ups with your feet suspended on a wheel)
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 10
    hanging straight leg raises, 15

reverse scoops, 25 x 2 x 15
    extreme angle isometric squat w/12.5 DB, 4:00
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 10
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 1 x 10
    HS iso lateral hi row, 140 x 2 x 8
    lower back machine, 130 x 2 x 10
    bicep curl, 40 x 2 x 6

RC exercises

Swim/LCM @ GMU:

Mini Fort was not feeling well today, came home early from crew and was thus available for babysitting. As Speedo said, "Fantastic." So I was able to attend our first LC practice of the year (one of only 4 due to the pool closure).

Warm up:

400 swim
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    200 IM drill

Main Sets:

16 x 100
    2 x through:
    2 x 100 (25 scull, 75 build free) @ 1:40
    2 x 100 IM @ 1:50
    2 x 100 free @ 1:40
    2 x 100 kick @ 2:10

-- Used fins for all but the last 100 kicks. Surprisingly, I didn't feel too bad on these.

50 EZ

3 x 25 DPS breast drill
    -- From side of pool, dive or push off, go under lane lane, taking only 1 stroke between each lane line.

4 x 50 fly w/fins @ 1:30
    1st 50 = 25 twirling dolphin kick + 25 fly
    2nd 25 = 25 dolphin kick on back + 25 fly
    3rd 25 = strong UW kick + 3 strokes fast fly + cruise free
    4th 25 = same as #2

50 EZ

3 x 100
    25 AFAP + 75 easy
    -- I did 2 backs and then the last one did 50 fly + 50 easy.

50 EZ

600 pull breathing every 5th stroke
    -- I planned to do 6 x 100. I did one with paddles and my shoulders were killing me, so desisted and went 4 x 100 kick with fins.

50 EZ (instead of 200)

Total: 3775 meters

Hot tub, 10-15 minutes, chatting with Peedo.

Commentary:

Feeling rather at the moment, especially the shoulders. There's so much more actual swimming in long course.

The new charmer on our team that dissed Speedo's paddles last week took aim at me today. When he questioned my fin use on the fly set, I said that I never swim fly without fins. His response, "You'll have to get used to fly without fins if you ever want to swim in a meet." Followed up with, "I used to use fins too, but I got over it." Hmm ... I related this to my coach and she cracked up. On this topic, here is an article written by fin addict Karlyn Pipes-Neilson: http://www.aquaticedge.org/finAddict.htm.

In drylands today, I realized that, after ignoring upper body exercises to focus on core/legs, I have lost some upper body strength. I was planning on doing just yoga and TRX this summer, but may re-visit this plan for two reasons. First, I won't be able to do yoga during my two week vacation in late June, but I can lift. Second, I wonder if upper body strength is relatively more important for me in long course as opposed to short course where I benefit from walls + kicking?

Here's a recent Chloe Sutton blog on the importance of drylands (though she omits specific exercises): http://www.universalsports.com/news-...ow+i+work+pool. I did like that she "never does the exact same thing twice."

Updated May 11th, 2011 at 06:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  6. Monday, May 9

by , May 9th, 2011 at 04:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

500 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

15 x 50 @ 15 RI
    1-5 = free w/paddles
    6-10 = flutter kick w/board
    11=15 = stroke various

5 x through:

50 strapless scull with paddles
    50 (25 fast free @ 100 pace + 25 EZ)
    50 hypoxic back kick
    50 (25 fast flutter kick + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

12 x 25 dolphin kick with parachute & fins
    power kick to 15 m UW + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 2900

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Class was much better breathing-wise today, especially after the standing balancing series.

Commentary:

I did not have the Mothers Day of my dreams. I was woken yesterday by a call from US Air at 5:00 am canceling my 11:30 flight (too few people) and putting us on a later flight with connections. Couldn't get back to sleep. Couldn't go to the pool or gym either since it was closed until noon. Jealously watched Mr. Fort and Fort Son go on a 12 mile run. Did have a lovely brunch, but then spent most of the day in airports.

Still not feeling any love in the pool. This is probably due to the nasty combo of allergies and sleep deprivation. I hope I can get some speed work in soon ... Right now I just feel out of shape and un-speedy. This can't really be so as I look at my flog, but that is my current state of mind. Ahelee would tell me I need to "train the mind."

I heard today that Pete Reider aka "NuthinBut50s" was involved in a head on collision in late April. He is still in the hospital after numerous surgeries for broken bones, including his femur and ankle. Horrible news. He was right next to me in my 50 back at the Albatross meet. I hope both he and MJ heal fast.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Swim at College Pool, Sat., May 7

by , May 7th, 2011 at 08:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm Up:

600 various

8 x 50
    Odds= stroke drill
    Evens = stroke kick

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters

5 x 100 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 2:00
    50 fast + 50 easy
    100 easy

10 x (25 easy speed fly w/ fins + 25 easy)
    --fly felt dreadful

2 x through w/fins (no interval):
    25 fast shooter + 25 easy
    50 fast + 50 easy
    25 fast free + 25 easy
    50 easy

10 x 25
    odds = 25 breast pull
    evens = 25 breast kick

5 x 50 cruise

Total: 3350

----------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

Toured around Dartmouth yesterday and today. Fort Son met the freshman and head lightweight coaches and rode the motorboat with the coaches watching the first freshman and first varsity lightweight boats. (A talented sophomore on the varsity boat is taking aim at the WR for the 6K erg this summer.). Fort Son got his first taste of college life staying overnight and hanging out with the freshman rowers.

Today, I ventured to my college pool, the first time I'd swum there since my freshman year. I
    even got the lane I always raced in. . The pool is very weird: it's four feet deep everywhere except for the diving area. It has a sharp slant up from the diving depth to the four foot depth and is four feet deep the entire pool length in lanes 6-8. I almost crashed into the slanted wall doing a shooter. Would not like doing a backstroke start in four foot depth now.
    This didn't bother me in college. I never swam backstroke, always fly/free/IM. No surprise that the team records were largely faster than the pool records.

Anyway, I got a decent workout in, though I was tired from not much sleep for 2 nights (can't sleep in hotels at all). Not too much pollen in Hanover; prepared to be killed with it tomorrow. May is just not my month.

Very fun visit. . Plan on hitting the gym late tomorrow afternoon.

Updated May 7th, 2011 at 09:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, May 5

by , May 5th, 2011 at 10:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Went to the noon class. Unfortunately, my allergy-induced asthma was bothering me. It was somewhat hard to get through the standing series (and of course I hadn't been in 3 weeks). Had to sit out triangle pose to catch my breath.

Swim/SCY @ GMU:

My asthma doesn't usually bother me too much when I'm swimming, but it really did today. It's possible the poor air handling system at GMU made it worse than usual. The lack of oxygen seems to cause more cramps than usual too. Difficult practice for me, though it was a fun and well-designed one. I was able to sprint at least; the aerobic work was more difficult.

Warm up:

300 swim
    4 x 50
    25 drill + 25 swim IM order
    300 kick
    4 x 50 build

Main Sets:

8 x through:

75 IM switch @ 1:30
    25 fast shooter @ 1:00
    -- I attempted two of these and desisted. Couldn't do them at all. Instead, I did fast backstroke kick on the surface.
    50 stroke, 25 fast + 25 easy
    -- I did 4 stroke and 4 free.

100 easy: 50 choice + 50 feet first scull
    -- just did the scull to breath more.

6 x 125 free pull @ 1:50
    -- I kick two of these with a board to get air. Skipped a 50 at some point.

50 EZ

6 x 75 kick w/board @ 1:30
    1 & 4: first 25 fast
    2 & 5: second 25 fast
    3 & 6: third 25 fast

50 EZ

6 x 25 @ :45
    -- alternate fast & easy
    -- did 2 fast frees and cramped on last one

100 EZ

Total: 3800

10 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Tough day of working out for me, but I wanted to do a double today. I'm leaving at the crack of dawn () to head to Dartmouth for the weekend. Plan to swim in my old pool on Saturday. Will take tomorrow off.

Updated May 6th, 2011 at 10:41 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  9. Wed., May 4

by , May 4th, 2011 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Aerobic/Drill/Hypoxic:

10 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50

15 x 50 @ :15 RI:
    4 x 50 fly drill
    50 scull
    4 x 50 back drill
    50 scull
    4 x 50 breast drill
    50 scull

30 x 25 shooters w/monofin
    -- back/belly/twirling
    -- worked on body dolphin and DPK
    -- fewest kicks per length: 5

50 EZ

Speed Drills:

10 x "25s" @ :30
    -- with fins, dive down to bottom, squat jump off bottom in streamline & dolphin kick fast until suit is out of water
    -- I was in 12 foot depth

50 EZ

5 x 75 w/fins
    1st 25 = dolphin kick down to bottom of pool @ 12.5 w/kick board, squat jump, and fast flutter kick to the wall
    2nd 25 = shooter on back
    -- not so easy right after the first 25
    3rd 25 = EZ DAB
    25 EZ

18 x 25:
    6 x 25 power breast pull w/buoy
    6 x burst doggy paddle drill + cruise
    6 x burst backstroke spin drill + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 3900

Commentary:

Didn't really use the pace clock much today. No need to really when you're doing drills. I dug out my monofin again. I hadn't used it for awhile because it hurt the top part of my right foot. It didn't bother it too much today, except toward the end of the 30 x 25 shooters.

My shoulders and upper back are a bit sore from yesterday's med ball slamming. It seems so easy at the time, but you can pay for it later if you overdo. Think I'm going to hit the foam roller tonight. Hopefully, yoga + team practice tomorrow.

Strapless sculling:

-- http://ht.ly/4N1l6
    -- definitely going to give this a whirl

Band kicking:

-- http://ht.ly/4N1jA
    -- also interesting

Saw a weird sight at the pool today -- someone running along the bottom of the pool in the deep end with a weight. Interesting way to do shooters.

Updated May 4th, 2011 at 06:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Tuesday, May 3

by , May 3rd, 2011 at 03:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

med ball slams, 15-20 minutes in racquetball court
    extreme angle isometric squat, 6:00
    overhead squats, 45 x 2 x 10
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    push ups, 2 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    RC exercises

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

Main Sets:

5 x through:

100 free w/paddles @ 1:30
    100 flutter kick w/board @ 1:45
    50 russian breast drill @ 1:00
    50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00

-- I love swimming aerobic free with paddles. If it wasn't so hard on the shoulders, I'd use them much more frequently.

50 EZ

10 x 50 drills @ :15 RI

-- Wanted to do some more, but my calves were cramping.

50 EZ

Total: 3050

Commentary:

This is the first day in about 2 weeks where I felt I was just dragging from allergies instead of sick from allergies. And the first time I've managed a double in ages. Still feeling sprint impaired, but hopefully that too will pass. We're supposed to have a rainy May, so that should help.

I'm also feeling slightly sorry for myself that my team won't have practices this summer b/c of the pool closure. The summer is usually a nice break from swimming solo so frequently and it's nice to get in some actual long course training. Boo hoo. I'll be faking it at Auburn. (As a result, I'm going to focus on fast 50s and just survive the 100s.) Hopefully, I can meet up with Speedo and Jazz some the next few months.

The latest on Dara:

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...sey=nav%7Chead

Kicking with drag socks:

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...sey=nav%7Chead

WSF Response to NYT article on Title IX:

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.or...-Title-IX.aspx

Updated May 3rd, 2011 at 06:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  11. Monday, May 2

by , May 2nd, 2011 at 03:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100 w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = flutter kick w/ board
    evens = free w/paddles

Kick Mountain w/fins:
    up the mountain = dolphin kick w/board
    down the mountain = backstroke kick

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 10-15 RI
    odds = breast pull w/buoy
    evens= fly drill

6 x 50 scull

50 EZ

Total: 3800

Commentary:

Still down and out from allergies. I felt better Saturday, but after spending the day outside was worse on Sunday. Finally got to the pool today and just did an aerobic workout. My training has taken a huge hit the last 2 weeks. I'm hoping I can rebound in May. I'd love to go to yoga. But those classes are difficult when one is breathing challenged.

Mr. Fort consulted his trainer recently about recovery (trouble recovering after Boston). His trainer recommended amino acids. In particular, he suggested the website www.infinityfitness.com. (Apparently, the amino acids from GNC and other sellers are fairly worthless b/c of excess shelf time.) They custom mix the amino acids powder based on the type, intensity, duration of your training and your body weight. They remarked that my typical training volume is "very high" and that I need to make sure to include recovery workouts. Perhaps so, but I feel like a complete slug lately.

Hoping I can cram in some good workouts before Friday. I'm leaving to go to Dartmouth for a couple days on Friday am. Hopefully, I can swim in the pool -- that will be a blast from the past.

Updated May 2nd, 2011 at 03:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, April 29

by , April 29th, 2011 at 04:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

9 x 50 fly drill @ :10 RI

10 x 25 shooters

10 x 25 glide drill
    -- wore my nose clip this time
    -- got to or past the 15 meter mark 8x in 7 foot depth

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ :10-15 RI
    odds = drill
    evens = kick

5 x 50 breast drill
    alternate dolphin and whip kick

150 EZ

Total: 2600

Commentary:

Still completely done in by allergies. Didn't even have the energy to do an aerobic set today; just worked on technique. My eyes are so red and sore I can't even wear my contacts. But this too shall pass ... I would love to attend SCY Nat next year in NC, but I keep wondering how I can avoid my annual spring collapse ...

Love reading about all the fast swimming at Nationals. My untapered 27.2 in the 50 fly held up well against the onslaught. This is going to be the first year in masters where I'm ranked higher in the 50 fly than 50 back.

Good luck to all friends and forumites the next two days!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, April 28

by , April 28th, 2011 at 04:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    total ab machine, 110 x 1 x 25
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    hip hinges on reebok core trainer w/DBs, 10 each leg
    alternating hammers, 25 x 2 x 30
    walking lunges w/DBs, 20
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10

-- did a few half hearted stretches

Commentary:

Still suffering through my annual spring malaise, and having trouble sleeping. I need to start using the neti pot right before I go to bed. I was hoping to make it to my team practice tonight, but I'm not feeling well enough. Hope to get to Mason at noon tomorrow.

I'm enjoying following Nationals. The pool looks amazing and very fast. I see Geek dropped major time in his 1650. I was very sad, however, to read that my friend, MJ Caswell, tripped and broke part of her hip joint and is headed to surgery. Horrible to train, travel and taper and then have a fluke accident like that happen.

Updated April 28th, 2011 at 04:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  14. Wed., April 27

by , April 27th, 2011 at 04:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

The framework of this is from Tall Paul's "Dirty Dozen" workout:

12 x 100 w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = free
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

12 x 75 IM @ 15-20 RI
    fly drill + back + breast

12 x 50
    odds = flutter or back kick
    evens = scull

12 x 25 glide drills
    odds = regular push off
    evens = breast pullout from dive

-- I only get slightly past the halfway point on my glide drills from a regular push off . Not sure I'd get much farther starting deeper.
    -- I get to about the 21 yard mark on the breast glide drill

50 EZ

Total: 3650

Commentary:

Still feeling crummy. Though I seem, so far, to be successfully staving off bronchitis. But having cancelled CN this am, I don't feel any pressure to do speed work. So I am just doing some cruiser aerobic work until I feel better.

I made hotel reservations for Auburn Nationals and am checking out flights. I'm staying at the Auburn University Hotel, which is within walking distance of the pool and restaurants and has a USMS discount. (Not surprisingly, Auburn is much less expensive than Montreal.) The order of events for Auburn is also pretty good for me. I plan on entering all four 50s and the 100 fly/back. The 100 fly will likely be difficult, especially with 2 weeks off in June (except for tiny pool), but I am ignoring this fact.

Good luck to everyone swimming at Nationals in Mesa! Looking forward to on line spectating.

On organic foods:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Arti...m?cmp=17-1-543

Updated April 27th, 2011 at 06:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday, April 26

by , April 26th, 2011 at 06:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mini drylands:

handstands, 10
    cartwheels, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    TRX rows, 15
    TRX sprinter start, 20
    overhead med ball slams, 10
    twisting med ball slams, 10
    lost 2 games of Horse to Lil Fort

Commentary:

Still feeling under the weather, but not getting worse.

Was at the hair salon for awhile today. I'm going from red to strawberry blond for the summer. I'm hoping the fading problems aren't quite as bad.

I'm 95% sure I'm canceling Canadian Nats. I just don't want to spend all the $$$ and spousal points traveling for a meet unless I'm ready and excited for it. And I'm not. And I really just want to be a mommy that weekend and watch my kids row in the Stotesbury regatta in Philly. They'll both likely be rowing in lightweight 4s. Plus, I feel like I'm due for a mental meet break; I'd prefer to train for awhile instead of worrying about tapering. So I'll focus on Auburn and our local LCM meet (assuming we have it). I suspect I'll see more of my swim friends at Auburn too.

Made my first green smoothie today -- bok choy, spinach, beet greens, flax seeds, kiwi, pineapple, blueberries, coconut oil and coconut water. I also killed another blender. Fortunately, a friend recently gave me a Kitchen Aid blender.

Core exercises:

Race club: http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/se...ngth-exercise/

Roli Poli: This works well if you have a partner. You will need a Bosu and medicine ball. You and your partner face each other with about 10 feet between you. You will turn Bosu upside down so that the rounded portion is on the ground with flat side up. Get into a push up plank position with your toes on the flat side of the Bosu. Then you and your partner roll the medicine ball back and forth to each other alternating hands. Fully extend your hand/arm straight out when rolling the ball.

Swimming stereotypes:

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swim...-swimmers.aspx

Eating Carbs at Night Isn't So Bad!

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/..._ibsrc=fanpage

Updated May 3rd, 2011 at 04:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  16. Monday, April 25

by , April 25th, 2011 at 02:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

9 x 50 fly drill (chest press/caterpillar/single arm)

20 x 50 shooters w/fins
    back, belly, right side, left side, twirling

6 x 30 glide drills
    -- No idea how Ande gets all the way across the pool. (But I've asked him. ) I don't move much once I've surfaced.

10 x 25 torque drill

8 x 25 burst dolphin kick

100 EZ

Total: 2380

Commentary:

Did very little except sit on the couch the last 2 days. Still not feeling well and lacking any energy, but at least I don't feel like bronchitis is imminent. Really glad I'm not entered in Nationals now -- though I will enjoy following it. Championship meets in the Spring are rough for me. I recall I was quite sick after Atlanta last year. In any event, I'm glad I got in today, even if it was mostly a technique workout. I had intended this to be a hard training week, but it's probably not going to work out that way.

Got official notice that GMU will be closed from May 23 to August 16.

Marathon Links:

What you think about: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk&"]YouTube - Marathon Thoughts[/nomedia]
    feature=player_embedded

slow mo marathon finish:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7E6Qi5ifg&NR=1"]YouTube - Boston Men 2011 Men's Winner Slow Motion - World Fastest Time[/nomedia]

Updated April 25th, 2011 at 06:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, April 23

by , April 23rd, 2011 at 01:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    My training partner was sick on Friday, and I wasn't feeling so hot either. So I just went to bikram yoga. Muscles felt less sore afterward. Unfortunately, I woke up today and felt awful. I've been fighting off a sore throat and congestion for days, but my body finally succumbed to allergies and my asthma is acting up. I went to my kids' regatta this morning, and I am on the couch for the rest of the day. I hope it doesn't escalate further.

If it does, I don't think I'll go to Canadian Nats. I'm on the fence anyway, as the next 6-7 weeks are going to be crazy busy. (I have 3 out of town trips booked in May and many house
    guests.) I may have been slightly addled when I signed up for this meet; spring is always busy for me and I am often clubbed by allergies. If I don't go, I will swim at Auburn Nats even if I'm in subpar shape because of the timing of my vacation. However, I would need to find a meet between now and Auburn because I don't want to go 4 months without racing. But there are no local masters meets.

I'll have to mull it over and see how I feel. I could be meet deprived for awhile.

Updated April 23rd, 2011 at 04:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  18. Another Double, Thursday, April 21

by , April 21st, 2011 at 11:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    PM Drylands:

TRX rows, 2 x 15
    TRX knee tucks, 2 x 15
    TRX sprinter start, 20
    TRX row-W fly-super fly, 15
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    knee tuck jumps, 15
    twisting med ball slams, 15
    overhead med ball slams, 15
    snatch windmills, 10 x 2 x 10

RC exercises, 15 minutes
    Stretching/Foam Roller, 15 minutes

Evening Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 kick-swim
    200 IM drill

Main Sets:

If you want to see what was assigned, see Speedo's blog. I altered the workout substantially since I had done some speed work yesterday and had access to blocks.

2 x through:

4 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
    2 x 25 fast to the 15 from the blocks
    75 EZ

-- Instead, of the second set, I did 7 x "30s" = forward start + power kick to 15 @ 100 pace + cruise back. Only 2 were good. I hit one perfect start and that was 11 dolphin kicks to the 14 meter mark.

6 x 150 @ 2:10
    -- Did backstroke kick w/fins. Worked the first 5 pretty hard for some aerobic work and cruised #6.

6 x 75 w/fins @ 1:15
    -- 2 kick + 1 swim
    -- cruised the last one (had a cramp)

5 x "30s"
    -- Forward start off block + power kick to 15. Hit a couple of these well.

6 x 50 @ 1:20
    -- cruised 5
    -- went last one fast backstroke shooter w/fins, 23

100 EZ

Total: 3360

Sat in hottub chatting with Gustavo for 10 minutes or so. He asked for ideas on how to improve his speed and I had a few.

Commentary:

I woke up feeling . Pretty sure this was mostly from bikram as that always kicks the sh*t out of me when I've had a layoff. I felt a little better after drylands. But I was still feeling it during the workout. So I skipped some of the assigned work to do starts -- a good use of my time. Since my legs were so sore, I went home and took a 10 minute ice bath. Sheer torture the first minute.

Pete wants to do a Tall Paul workout for Fast Friday tomorrow. It looks rather ambitious for sprinterly me, so I'll probably do about half the speed work, depending on how I feel. It will be my third workout in less than 24 hours.

Revised my entry for Canadian Nationals. I deleted the 100 breast on Saturday and the 100 back on Sunday and substituted the 50 breast on Sunday. So I'll swim 6 events instead of 7 and not have the 100 back before the 100 IM the last day. Don't really need a time in that event anyway. I tentatively plan to do the same taper I did before the Albatross meet. Though I took it much easier than usual the 3rd week out (because of the Warrenton meet) ... This suggests more rest is better.

Interesting blurb about the Boston Marathon Expo:

http://running.competitor.com/2010/0...thon-expo_9433.

I didn't see the energy drink there, but did see the new foam roller.

Updated April 22nd, 2011 at 10:02 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  19. Wed., April 20

by , April 20th, 2011 at 11:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

16 x 50 @ :55-1:00
    4 of each stroke, drill fly

9 x 75 back kick w/fins @ 1:15
    1-3 shooter on 3rd length
    4-6 shooter on 2nd length
    7-9 shooter on 3rd length
    25 EZ

50 EZ

10 x jumps (200)
    odds = broad jump off pool + squat jump off bottom
    evens = grab start off side

6 x 50
    25 EZ speed fly or belly shooter w/fins @ 100 pace + 25 EZ (felt dreadful)

50 EZ

Did not want to attempt speed work, but forced myself.

2 x (50 fast w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 3:00
    breast, :31 (not bad)
    free, high 24 (bad turn)

4 x (25 fast free /fins + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 4100

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Didn't feel as dreadful as I usually do after a layoff. Still can't do standing head to knee for very long without a more consistent practice.

Commentary:

I was lacking all motivation this morning. This seems to be a common occurrence when I get thrown out of my usual routine. David Guthrie suggested I start my 5 week taper. (Yes, he really does that.) Eney Jones suggested I just go robotic for a couple days. My very first masters coach told me to "do it OR ELSE." I opted for a combo of the last two. I actually feel better after the 2 workouts.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Tuesday, April 19

by , April 19th, 2011 at 08:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a fabulous weekend in Boston! The city was packed with runners and the atmosphere was great. All the first timers, including Mr. Fort, couldn't believe the level of crowd support. There were crowds cheering every inch of the way. It was also a beautiful day for running and spectating (unlike today).

Mr. Fort was hoping to go a 3:30, but ended up at 3:40. I thought 3:30 was optimistic given that he'd hardy run in 3 weeks. But he was on pace until the Newton Hills. Oddly, he had no hamstring issues -- it was his quads that betrayed him after the long downhills. His training partner completely blew up on mile 18. In fact, I didn't hear very many people that were happy with their times. Still, he was happy to finish, and very happy that he and Lil Fort got to run the 5K on Sunday. He has to now re-evaluate whether he wants to run another marathon to get a BQ for next year (maybe Lehigh in Sept.) or continue to focus on biking as he did most of last year.

As I predicted, I didn't swim for 3 days. I estimate that I got about 10 miles of walking in though, so that was probably good for the legs. I sat in the whirlpool for a long time on Sunday, but only did about 10 laps in the hotel pool -- too crowded. Unfortunately, I got very little sleep and am now extremely tired. I can't sleep in hotels at all.

I'm also having some second thoughts about Canadian Nationals. May-June is going to be a very busy time (regattas, soccer, trip to Dartmouth, summer swim starting, mom visiting, graduation), not a good time for a trip. And I just realized today, doh, that the meet is the same weekend as the Stotesbury Regatta in Philly where both my kids will be rowing. http://www.boathouserow.org/rega11/scr11.html. On the the other hand, if I don't go, I likely will not have a masters meet until late August. The other option is to re-join USAS and do either the local VA or MD LC State Champs the end of May or beginning of June. I'll have to mull it over. Maybe after a couple days sleep, I'll be dying to go.

I received my Speedo silicone low profile nose clips in the mail. They are absolute crap too -- way too big. I need to return those and the TYR clips. My regular Speedo competition nose clip is sold out almost everywhere, but I finally found a site that had them in stock and ordered 8.

Updated April 19th, 2011 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized