View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Thursday, Aug 27

by , August 27th, 2009 at 06:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, things were going splendidly until I got what seems to be a nasty stomach virus a couple days ago. (Why do these things always strike in the middle of the night?) I don't fret over colds and such much, but I'm a real ninny about tummy upsets. I didn't do anything yesterday but sit in my beach chair and do my beach reading. Which wasn't so bad really, very relaxing.

Today was a red flag day at the beach, so I dutifully trundled off to the YWCA for a quick workout. I was still feeling a bit queasy, so I don't think it even rose to the level of yoga swimming. lol The otudoor pool was very hot -- ugh! And I was going so slow that initially I thought the pool might be SCM ... But at least I was in the water working on my streamlines and such.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety kick, swim, drill

4 x 50 flutter kick w/board @ 1:00

Aerobic sets:

10 x 100 @ 1:50
    Odds = free, evens = backstroke kick

50 EZ

10 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    odds = breast pull working on squeezing elbows together
    evens = dolphin kick on side, alternating left and right

10 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 front scull

100 EZ

Total: 3100
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Repeat OW + Beach Run, Tuesday. Aug. 25

by , August 25th, 2009 at 10:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did the same workout as yesterday. Could be a first in the annals of Fort history. Went for my approximately 1.7 mile swim + 1.7 mile run back on the beach. It took about 55 minutes, so I don't think I had an too much of a cheater current. If I had gone later in the day, the waves were even more mellow. Again, no nasty jellyfish to ruin the swim. This is definitely harder on the shoulders though so, despite the ease of it, I'll probably make the drive out to the YWCA tomorrow.

I went to a tri store today to get some of Geek's famed 2XU bike shorts for Mr. Fort. While there, I checked out their wetsuits a bit. Lordy! These things don't compare to a B70 AT ALL. The 2009 2XU wetsuit, for example, is 5 mm thick and made of 39 cell neoprene. I don't think I've ever seen anything so thick, squishy and seemingly buoyant in my life. It bore no resemblance to a swim skin. The next time someone says I'm swimming in a wetsuit, I'm going to kick their ass! Yeesh! And I'm no expert, but it appears there's been a leap forward in wetsuit technology from 2007 to 2009 in terms of thickness and buoyancy.

The other hot new thing in the tri store were the recovery compression socks for cyclists and runners. I'm told you wear these after a workout to promote muscle recovery. Though you see some athletes actually running or biking in them ... They also come in black so the guys can wear them to work ... I'm thinking there could be a swim adaptation for these socks. Nice recovery after an intense kick/fin workout.

Adding a few more pics from Nats. SwimRobin caught the first shot on the left of THT members, one gone a bit crazy as usual. Next is a pic of our girl Champ 200 free relay, then a pic of bloggers Chicken of the Sea, me and Bobinator, then a pic of blogger FlyQueen (the "wifey") and me. (Sizing is askew on a couple, probably cuz I pulled them off FB. My own pics are on my other computer at home.)

Updated August 26th, 2009 at 12:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6732_124347198395_674488395_2308206_4032296_n.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	6289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234833600051_797920051_8310955_7261239_s.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	6290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234629200051_797920051_8304720_8239275_s.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	6291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234838805051_797920051_8311078_3718944_s.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	6292  
  3. Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24

by , August 24th, 2009 at 05:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, it wasn't too rough today, so there was no excuse not to venture into the OW. And it was an enjoyable break from the usual walls. I swam a course my husband had measured with his bike computer as 1.7 miles on the road. I must have swum 2+ miles with the zig zagging and having to swim back out past the surfers several times. And there were no jellyfish! The only bummer was that I lost my goggles when I got hit by a huge wave on the way to shore. Luckily, I have others.

Then I ran back along the beach. And it didn't even feel too dreadful!

Now, after a day of sun and surf, it's almost time for my margarita! Sleep be damned.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  4. D, for Me, Sunday. Aug. 23

by , August 23rd, 2009 at 10:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it the YMCA before it closes for the rest of the week. Not a bad pool. Very shallow, especially at one end, but a cool temperature. I went in the early to mid afternoon to avoid it being closed due to late afternoon thunderstorms. The storms never came, so I was happily able to sit on the beach for a couple hours after my workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Usual 700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

16 x 200 w/fins, done with descending intervals as:

4 x 200 free @ 3:00
    4 x 200 backstroke kick @ 2:50
    4 x 200 free @ 2:40
    4 x 200 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (had 7-8 seconds rest on these)

No extra rest between. It wasn't as terrible and dull as I feared. It's nice to combine the mid-D with some early season kicking. I'm big fan of kicking a lot in early season. Not 2 days like Wolfy has managed, , but maybe a couple months of it.

100 EZ

5 x 50 breast pull @ 1:00

5 x 50 dolphin kick on back @ :50

100 EZ

Total: 4600

Did my RC exercises even! I may swim in the ocean tomorrow if it's not as rough rather than driving to the YWCA (which apparently is open next week -- it will be mobbed with tris I'm sure). They rescued 25-30 people at Wrightsville Beach yesterday because of the rough currents.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Gym + Team Practice, Tuesday, Aug. 18

by , August 18th, 2009 at 09:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it back to the gym today. Took it pretty easy and started at relatively light weight. Had a 15 minute chat break in the middle, which halted possible obsessive over exertion.

Weights/Dryland:

standing lat pulldowns, 100 x 3 x 12
    seated narrow grip row, 70 x 3 x 12
    goblet squats, 30 x 3 x 15
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 30
    rear delt flys, 12.5 x 2 x 12
    elevated crunches, 3 x 25
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

No stretching. My bad, haven't stretched since before Nationals ... Someone at Nationals asked me how I maintain flexibility with as little stretching as I do. I guess I'm pretty naturally flexible, but I could certainly improve/make some inroads in this area.

Swim/SCY/Team:

Journeyed to Mason tonight. Was somewhat bummed to see the pool back to SCY. The practice was very lightly attended -- I suspect many are on vacation.

Warm up:

300 swim/300 kick/300 pull (I drilled the 300 pull)
    200 swim/200 IM drill (I missed one 200 b/c of chatting)

2 x (50 dolphin kick on back + 25 shooter + 25 scull)

Main sets:

10 x 75 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    #1 = first 25 fast
    #2 = second 25 fast
    #3 = third 25 fast
    #4 = fast
    #5 = easy

(I think I was the only one following the prescribed "fast" portions. lol. Bunch of lazy kickers!)

50 EZ

4 x 150 free @ 2:05 @ 85%
    4 x 100 @ 1:50, 75 stroke + 25 free, descend
    50 EZ
    4 x 75 @ 85% @ 1:05
    4 x 50 stroke @ 1:00, descend

I was racin' on the first set. Took off like a bat out of hell on the first 150 ... not sure about that thought process ... Didn't back down and felt like puking at the end of the 4 x 150. The next 4 x 100 was a bit of an epic fail, and ended up being pure recovery swimming. Then I was back at it on the 75s. I managed to descend the last set decently, as written, with an extremely slow first 50.

200 EZ

Total: 3850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chatted with Wally in the hottub after practice. As an experiment, he gave up weights for 3 months over the summer in favor of more pool time. He was not impressed with the results, and is headed back to the gym.

Drank a fully loaded Gatorade during practice tonight. This doesn't seem to agree with me. I think I need to restrict my Gatorade or G2 intake to after practice or else dilute it.
  6. Aerobic Work, Monday, Aug. 17

by , August 17th, 2009 at 05:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I woke up today and absolutely nothing hurt, ached, twinged, or was sore. What a bizarre feeling! So I set about remedying that state of affairs. Didn't feel that my aerobic conditioning had completely deserted me in the pool. I'm sure hitting the gym tomorrow will feel worse.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

10 x 200 @ 2:45 (Yes, that's right. lol)
    100 free/100 backstroke kick

50 EZ

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ 45
    #1-10 = backstroke kick, SDK to 15 meter mark each length
    1:00 rest
    #11-20 = flutter kick w/board

50 EZ

10 x 50

#1-5 = Br pull @ 1:00 working on wider scull, felt slow
    #6-10 = single arm fly drill @ :50

200 EZ

Total: 4500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just planning some aerobic work for the next few weeks. If anyone has any good suggestions about sets to prep for my OW swim in Sept., I'm all ears. I plan on doing plenty of kicking the next couple months as well.

I need to plan a meet schedule for this fall. I will likely swim at the Fall Ball hosted by DCAC on Sept. 26. (The next day is the swim wedding of the century! ) I'm a little bummed I can't defend my sprint title at the Sprint Classic in October, but I believe that's the same day as the Marine Corp Marathon. We'll see if Mr. Fort ends up doing that. He made it through the Savageman bike course yesterday and up all the brutal hills.

I've attached a few photos that a friend of Jim's took during my 50 back race. I look pretty muscle-y in the backstroke start shot. And I couldn't resist -- I got a shot of my little one upside down in the air at Kennywood. Love that shot.

Updated August 17th, 2009 at 06:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3822010576_bd65be8ac7.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	6283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3821205139_5159318d5d.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	6284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3821203411_07a11daef7.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	6285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3822009920_3c63caed5c.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	6286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n603946434_2162969_5322076.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	6287  

7. Friday, Aug. 14

by , August 15th, 2009 at 10:06 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam the 1 hour Friday practice with the Sewickley Masters, coached by Bill White. My first venture into exercise after 4 days of rest. I'm not sure I've had 4 days of rest since ... well ... possibly since my last child came along. lol

Anyway, we did a sprint practice. No easy aerobic work to ease back in! Though Jimby seemed to treat the workout this way. Got to see my pal, Mermaid, which is always a huge delight! We all had dinner afterward.

Warm up:

Swam about 300 OMO

400 free

8 x 50 @ :50 IM order

200 kick

4 x 50 kick @ 1:10 IM order

50 EZ

Main sets:

4 x 100 @ 2:00
    I did 2 free and 2 backstroke kick

50 EZ

4 x 100 @ 3:00
    50 fast/50 EZ
    I did 2 IM and 2 backstroke kick

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick @ 1:10
    25 fast/25 EZ
    I did them as 50 shooters with an open turn

200 EZ

Total: 3000
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Foul Language Gear, Tuesday, Aug 4

by , August 4th, 2009 at 01:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Rant:

Well, they can take away the damn suits (perhaps), but they can't take away my foul language gear. Argh, the F bombs are flying today. So far, my rec pool is closed for lack of power, GMU is closed, someone has been snitching my Jolt gum, I can't remember where I stashed my B70 after loaning it to my kid, I'm out of whey protein and I can't check in on line for the 200 back. And I haven't been on a run since June 22!

I am now going to run errands (F that too) and get an easy 1000 in in another pool where I hope they have power and some kid hasn't wrecked the water.

On the other hand, I get to see cool folks tomorrow.

Supplement:

I swam about 700 easy meters in my 86 degree outdoor gym pool. Then sat in the hottub and steam room. So am now happier. I am off to continue packing. I wish Ande was standing by me with his "list" for meets. Can't remember which tip that one was ... I'm sure I'll forget something vital. But I am comforted by the fact that there is a GPS on my iphone, as I have a tendency to get lost.

I also tried out my new pair of AquaSocket goggles. They were comfy and I really liked them!

Updated August 4th, 2009 at 06:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday, Aug. 3

by , August 3rd, 2009 at 05:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM = frenzy to get sh*t done

PM =

15-20 minutes of RC exercises
    15 minutes of stretching
    800 slow swim/drill
    15 minutes hottub
    15 minutes steam room

But my ART appt was cancelled. Boo hoo. I wanted to get rid of my usual little twinge in the left teres and scapular area. Mr. Fort may have some work to do tonight. I definitely did a bit too much speed work yesterday. My legs were tired today.

My backstroke felt very smooth today though. I guess that bodes well for the 100. Just hoping I can "Tancock" the 50. That guy has the fastest turnover I've ever seen in backstroke.

I still haven't felt that "crappy" phase of taper. Pondering this. It could be increased sleep. I'm also wondering if it might be due to the fact that I did a more gradual 3 week taper.

And I need to start packing. I hate packing, and can only do it in AFAP mode. So I will throw in black, white, denim and tech suits and hope it all works out. I am bringing my remaining suitfolio b/c there is a little FAF that needs some help in that department. I don't sense there will be many textile suits at Nats. ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Backstroke Starts, Sunday, Aug 2

by , August 2nd, 2009 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hulk Advice:

Here is some backstroke start advice I received today from our beloved, but swim deprived, Hulk:

1) Initiate the start with your hands by throwing them back as fast as you can;

2) Focus your eyes on your hands. That will get your head back and put you in a good arch position;

3) Throw your hips and feet up as you leave the wall to create a good entry line;

4) Pull up not forward, that's the key re: position, you want to set your shoulders and hips in the same vertical line.

5) A great drill for this is take your starting position, then just let go of the wall, don't push off, just let go, your first motion should be out from the wall not down, if you're going down, then you are curling up too much.

So, armed with this advice and wearing my B70, I did the following "workout:"

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety warm up

3 x 100 back, easy speed @ 2:00

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 30 = 1 backstroke start to 15 meters and easy swim back. rest and repeat.

I have been meaning to do some starts with a B70 for a long time. But I always seem to rush out without it in tow. As a result of being a bit of a moron about this, I'm somewhat inconsistent on my starts.

14 SDKs = too far, past 15 meters
    13 SDKs = can be too far unless I have a shallower start
    12 SDKs = 15 meters or just short

So I'm going to just stick with 12 SDKs to be safe. The depth of my starts really varied. There were a couple that I felt I really nailed in terms of going through the hole, good depth etc. However, on those starts, I had some trouble getting up and to the 15 meter mark in 12 SDKs. I guess I'm just not used to doing the classic "checkmark."

My last backstroke start, which was my 50 back at Zones in April, was rather shallow and I think I took 13 SDKs. I just need to work on this in the future to become more consistent. I have become better at pulling up, not forward, and not curling up like I used to. Just need to get the check mark and SDK count to auto pilot.

Anyhoo, after that rousing fun (for which I was grateful to have my own lane!) ...

100 EZ

4 x 15 "bursts" and cruise back

(I didn't mean these to be bursts. I intended to do a 50 back AFAP with fins and B70 to compare to fins and poly tank. But my f'in fins kept falling off. Hate this flexy brand.)

50 EZ

1 x 50 somewhat fast backstroke w/weanie dolphin kick to prevent fin fall off, 23.5ish

50 EZ

4 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x (25 fast free w/fins + 50 EZ)

200 EZ

Total: 2100

Random Thoughts:

Kinda tired after that effort. Might have done too much. Will be MUCH more slothful the next few days. Hoping to summon enough energy tonight to do my RC exercises and stretch. Feeling really lazy today. Seeing my ART doc for a last tune up tomorrow afternoon.

Had some water gushing down the front of my B70. Might be a bit stretched out on top. Fluck. Did anyone notice that in the interview after the Men's 400 medley relay today that it looked like Dave Walter's skin was actually sliced from his Arena suit?

I checked my itinerary for Indy. I arrive on Wed. at around 2:00. There is a team practice scheduled at the swim center from 4:45-6:00. I had to inform my wonderful Coach Chris that I would be doggie paddling, not "practicing." Methinks he is not used to coaching drop dead sprinters.

I am somewhat cross about the warm up and meet start times being moved up. Anti-night owl bias, no doubt. I will at least get to sleep in on Friday since I, boo hoo, can't compete in the 50 breast and don't swim until the 100 back.

I was also wondering somewhat about breathing for the 50 fly. I always try to breath as little as possible on a 50 fly. I think that's best in yards, but I wonder if I might be better off taking a couple more breaths in LCM? Since my dolphin kicking has improved, my breathing seems more natural ... and it certainly worked in the 100 fly. I wish Cream Puff hadn't left us so she could tell me what he did when she popped off that 28.7 that I hope will appear in the FINA rankings ... I was told that Dara Torres took 9 breaths when she set the AR in the 50 fly at WCT.

Updated August 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Friday, July 31

by , July 31st, 2009 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

10 x 25 shooters on back

Speed work:

4 x 25 build free

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 UW flutter, 2 doggie paddle, 2 free
    50 EZ after each set of 3

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins (24ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may head to the gym later to do the dreaded RC exercises and sit in the steam room. My shoulder is finally feeling better. That 100 fly set me back for awhile, as I knew it would. Or I may succumb to taper laziness and attempt to do them at home.

Taper bitchies have definitely hit. I had tantrums over lost keys, ungrateful child, printer not working, etc.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Well, sort of, I am going to the All Star meet, which I hope goes well so there is no ensuing drama. lol.

I also need to get my act together over Nats a bit. I haven't even looked at the timeline. Ande would be appalled!

I did purchase some back up goggles and a new suit today. No, not a tech suit. Just a run of the mill practice suit. It's the Nike cut out suit. First Nike suit I've ever had, but it seemed to fit well. And it's light blue -- the THT color!

Updated July 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Thursday, July 30

by , July 30th, 2009 at 05:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Dragged myself to the gym to do RC exercises today. Didn't want to leave it until the evening for fear of taper induced sloth and ennui.

RC:

external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15
    some other damn exercise I don't know the name of but has a chopping motion

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

8 x 25 UW shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

5 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 50 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 24ish

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 100 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 53.5-54ish. my fastest in practice.

100 EZ

Total: 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! A break from the frenzy of my life is upon me. Mr. Fort is leaving tomorrow am for a family thing in Syracuse NY. He is taking Fort Son (bribed with a trip to Cornell to meet the crew coach) and Lil lil Fort. I have Mini for All Stars on Saturday, but then she is leaving for a week at the beach with some family friends that night. I forsee being able to sit on my ass and eat bon bons.

Lost my sleep mojo some last night. Little one woke up at 3:30 am and I had trouble falling back to sleep. Still hopeful for max sleep tonight.

BTW, I did faithfully take melatonin for 4+ months like Dr. Miller advised. It did not do one damn thing for me! As is typical for me, I've tried many many things to get a good night sleep. Gawd, getting old sucks!

Starting to get excited for Nats. Need to shift into "straight vicious" mode according to my son.

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Really looking forward to my evilstroke leg on the mixed medley relay too. hahaha. Also looking forward to resuming running as my bod feels like a blob of gelatinous goo without it. Just another reason for full body suits!

Updated July 30th, 2009 at 06:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  13. Sleep is F'in Awesome!, Wednesday, July 29

by , July 29th, 2009 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did a workout that I did about a week before Auburn.

Warm up:

400 swim
    150 kick
    150 fly drills
    3 x 25 build
    25 EZ

Speed work:

Felt like I had slightly increased DPK & DPS on these.

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins
    Went 24ish, my fastest practice time ever. But I did go past the 15 meter mark on the first 25.

150 EZ

1 x 50 dolphin kick on back AFAP
    Went 23ish, mistimed turn

150 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 C/D

Total: 1900

ART

30 minutes of ART for some body work. I bought a tube of traumeel. I've tried many topical creams before, and thought they were all ineffective. This one seems to work and penetrate into the shoulder capsule. Of course, it could just be the placebo effect too, as it is with so many things ...

My chiro noticed I was congested, and my throat has been swollen too. Apparently, there is some mold spore going crazy at the moment. That would certainly explain my reaction as I'm allergic to mold too.

Didn't feel too bad in the water today. Didn't feel too sluggish from the deep tissue. And didn't have that "feel like crap" taper feeling yet. I'm wondering if this has been countered somewhat by the increased/better sleep? Just had my 3rd night in a row of 8 hours of sleep. Very odd stuff. I don't even have the taper bitchies yet! On this note, my doc told me to stop taking B complex vitamins, as that can contribute to insomnia.

I'm thinking of lending my kid my speed suit for All Stars this weekend. After Chris' and Hulk's suit thefts, I'm a little leery of this though ... I do know many swimmers will be clad in B70s/LZRs. My B70 has also seen some use now. If the suits are legal until May 2010 or so, I may get a new B70 at Nats.

Updated July 29th, 2009 at 09:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  14. Tuesday, July 28

by , July 28th, 2009 at 04:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights Lite:

bench press, 50 x 3 x 8
    HS hi row, 70 x 2 x 10
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 3 x 25
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

I'm done with all weights and core now. Will only do RC work until Nats.

Swim/Solo/SCM:

Swam in hot outdoor gym pool. No backstroke attempted. Mellow recovery workout. There wasn't even a pace clock on deck.

Warm up:

650 swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

10 x 25 UW shooters

10 x 50 flutter kick w/board

50 EZ

16 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = EZ

150 C/D

Total: 2000 meters

Massage

Got a deep tissue massage today. She really worked over the calves and mid back area. I blame the mid back tightness on fly.

I managed to dig up my official split request form and documentation and PDF them to Mary Beth Windrath. I'm lucky I found them, usually I don't hold onto things like that. Lesson learned. She still had had no response from the Southeastern TT Recorder. But will include my 100 back time b/c of my back up documentation. Right now, I'm tempted to not swim in the Dixie Zone region since two different TT recorders couldn't do their job. Geez.

Looks like tech suits will be legal until May 2010. Happy about that. Think FINA should regulate rather than punting. Plus, Rocket Science does not accept returns (check website carefully!). So I am the owner of the Sprinter suit, which I'll have to give a spin this fall.

Got another good night's sleep. But have been feeling groggy during the day. Hope this side effect goes away.
  15. Monday, July 27

by , July 27th, 2009 at 08:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Transition set:

6 x 75
    25 UW shooter on back + 25 feet first scull + 25 easy speed fly

50 EZ

Speed work:

3 x (100 broken backstrokes w/ fins, 15 second rest at 50, + 200 EZ)

Went 26/29 (kid interruption on second 50), 26/27-28, 26/27

50 EZ

2 x (AFAP 50 w/fins + 100 EZ)
    went 25 on fly, 22-23 on dolphin kick shooter

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    3 fast free, 2 fast flutter kick shooter

125 C/D

Total: 3050

Didn't feel the greatest. Kinda tired afterward from the sprinting. I may need to shift into super loafing mode. I've sort of lost track of how close Nats is ... I barely know what day it is lately ... thought it was Tuesday most of the day ...

I can't wait to swim in my pool without all the loud nasty interfering children --- why, they're enough to make a person want to have a vasectomy! One kid just walked off with my fins today.

Did get a second good night sleep in a row. Was very busy today and have some running around to do tomorrow wrt All Stars. That meet is a zoo. I'm just hoping I can at least watch my kid. I hate it when grown adults insist on saving seats for 24 hours and won't budge to let others watch their kids race. I can forsee the need to be f'in beech ...

The food front is pretty much the same. I've just been eating a bit more pasta and some sandwiches instead of salads for lunch. I've tried switching my glass of chard to the dinner/happy hour. That just makes me tired all evening ...

Mini Mono and I are going to get pedicures and massages together tomorrow. I've been babying her more than usual.

Updated July 27th, 2009 at 09:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sunday, July 26

by , July 26th, 2009 at 05:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 swim, kick
    200 fly drills

Main sets:

16 x 25 4 point shooters

50 EZ

20 x 25
    evens easy speed-fast fly
    odds easy

50 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP w/fins+ 200 EZ)

2 50 backs = 25ish
    1 50 dolphin kick on back = 22-23

5 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

C/D 125

Need to do some stretching and RC work tonight.

Took a rest day on Saturday. Had a good day at Divisionals and now only one week left of summer swim!

Didn't go to Mason today (and who knew Speedo would show?!). Didn't want to swim with the super fast intervals. I may go on Tuesday and swim in a slower lane just to get some LC work in. Or else I'll swim at the 12-2 lunch hour session. The pool closes for the rest of August on Aug 3.

And, more importantly, I slept for a solid 8 hours last night for the first time in about 2 years. Uh, life is different with uninterrupted sleep. I just hope it continues.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, July 24

by , July 24th, 2009 at 07:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/RC:

standing lat pulldown, 75 x 3 x 10 fast
    prone scapular scrunches w/5 lb weights, 3 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    elevated crunches, 2 x 25
    dead bug on bosu, 2 x 15
    (going to do some arm extensions tonight)

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up

Aerobic sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back

20 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = flutter kick w/board
    evens = backstroke, smooth & working on breakouts

50 EZ

Speed set:

8 x (4 x 25), no interval
    #1 = easy speed fly
    #2 = EZ
    #3 = AFAP free
    #4 = EZ

200 C/D

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ran into my PV buddy, NuthinBut50s, who was working out in the adjacent lane. He does his speed work very differently from me. He doesn't do any recovery swimming when doing his fast 25s. He just blasts away on a 1:15 or so interval, to get a 1:4 or 1:5 swim to rest ratio. In contrast, I always use a 1:3 or 1:4 or more ratio of sprint swimming to recovery swimming. It seems to hard to me to do AFAP 25s without some easy swimming in between ... But it was interesting that we interpreted the prescribed ratios so differently.

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day for me, which is good as we have the Divisional Championships and Team Dinner taking up the bulk of the day. No driving -- we're hosting the meet at our pool.
  18. Thursday, July 23

by , July 23rd, 2009 at 09:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Squeezed in a short workout between very long trips out to MD. Circumstances were not ideal: backstroke flags down, only 4 lap lanes, huge teenage boys crashing off the diving board and dousing 2-3 lap lanes with tremendous splashing and I forgot my fins. Going to try to go at 4:00 pm tomorrow and hopefully try to avoid some of that.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Main sets:

20 x 25 UW shooters
    odds belly, evens on back

50 EZ

2 x (5 x 50)
    #1-3 cruise free
    #4 fast kick
    #5 EZ

50 EZ

10 x 75 (25 AFAP + 25 EZ + 25 scull)
    AFAPs = 2 free, 2 back, 2 fast flutter kick shooters, 2 fast doggie paddle, 2 free)

150 C/D

Total: 2700

I think in the future I may have to find a LCM meet other than Nats to taper for. An early August meet is just not the greatest timing for me given that late June and July are my busiest time of the year. I didn't even sit down until 11:30 pm last night and had to get up at 5:30 am. Couldn't really sleep much. My post-Nats project is to attempt to get that under better control.

My Mini Mono Fort swam her very last JO final tonight. (She's skipping the 200 events.) She was way off her time, but gutted out a good finish, and I was proud of her.

Updated July 24th, 2009 at 10:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Tuesday, July 21

by , July 21st, 2009 at 10:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did three round trip drives to Mason today, as Mini Fort decided to attend a LC practice before JOs and I wanted to get a LC practice in as well. At least the traffic wasn't as bad as usual!

LCM/Team:

500 swim
    500 (50 kick/50 drill)
    3 x 50 build
    1 x 50 scull

(I missed 300 of this chatting and arriving a tad late.)

3 x (4 x 100) @ 1:50
    #1 = 25 fly/50 free/25 fly
    #2 = 25 back/50 free/25 back
    #3 = 25 breast/50 free/25 breast

I worked #1 & #2 and cruised the breast-free ones.

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick @ 1:15
    25 kick w/board + 25 kick on back holding board above head with 2 heads (extremely hard)

50 EZ

9 x 100 freestyle:
    (I did them all backstroke.)

4 @ 1:40 (skipped one, cramp)
    3 @ 1:35 (cruised)
    2 @ 1:30 (skipped one and went fast on the last one with fins. went around 1:10 even having to swim around someone. pretty fast for me on backstroke at the end of practice.)
    150 EZ

Total: 3300 meters (team = 3900)

Random thoughts:

I'm feeling pretty strong in the water at the moment. Wonder if it's the explosive lifting or something else? (More carbs? lol)

Still need more sleep.

Still need to check my taper workouts from last February. I've been operating on pure intuition lately.

I've been just crazy busy lately. I think next week after Divisionals and JOs, life will calm down somewhat. Or at least I hope so.

Going to lift tomorrow.

My teammate wants to know why Jimby is wimping out and not swimming the 800 free against him at Indy.

Really happy Fort Son, my homework minimalist, got a 5 on his AP history exam.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Monday, July 20

by , July 20th, 2009 at 05:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART:

30-35 minutes of ART working on scapular area and calves. Had to do it before swimming, though I prefer it the other way around.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Hypoxic kick set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
    10 SDKs off each wall

50 EZ

Main set with speed work:

2 x through:

1 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00
    1 x 100 backstroke @ 2:00
    50 EZ
    50 back AFAP
    50 EZ
    50 flutter kick AFAP w/board
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ+ 25 AFAP flutter kick shooter + 25 EZ)

200 C/D

Off to the last Monday night summer league meet of the season. Hoping it doesn't rain!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART