http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Back to Power & Speed, Thursday, Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2011 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC Work, 10-15 minutes

Other drylands, 45-50 minutes:

flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 100
    HS power squat, 160 x 3 x 10
    HS hi row, 160 x 1 x 10, 170 x 1 x 8, 180 x 1 x 8
    Total ab machine, 140 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10

new exercise (from Mr. Fort's trainer): Don't have a name for this, but it's a variation of an extreme angle isometric. You essentially plant your right foot on a high box or a stairway in an extreme lunge position (I used the 18 inch box), your left leg should be straight with your toe touching the ground, push up to standing position with your right leg. repeat 10x, let heartrate fall and then do other leg. 18 inches was not tall enough for me, but I tried to compensate by moving my plant foot to the far end of the box. The idea is to be in a very extreme lunge when you do the exercise.

2 x 10, each leg

Stretching, 20 minutes

Hopped in the car, downed a protein fusion bar and banana and headed to the pool.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

no clocks, no fins

Warm up:

750 various

Speed Work:

6 x 50
    1st 25: standing broad jump into pool + fast eggbeater kick to end
    2nd 25: scull

6 x 50
    25 fast breaststroke pull w/buoy
    25 easy backstroke kick

6 x 50
    25 backstroke start and power kick to 15 meters (15 kicks on the first 4, on the last 2 25s, 15 kicks put me past the 15 meter mark), cruise in
    25 easy

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2050

Hottub, 10 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

It felt good to do some speed work after all the aerobic work I've been doing lately. I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow ... I may take it easy or take a rest day and go to my team practices this weekend. Mr. Fort and Lil Fort are going skiing this weekend with friends, so I'll have more free time than usual.

Updated January 6th, 2011 at 11:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Wed., Jan. 5

by , January 5th, 2011 at 06:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Class was vastly easier for me today and I felt energized instead of exhausted afterward. Don't know if I'm slowly adjusting to the heat or if it just wasn't as hot today. In any event, I had a very good practice, stretched out my sore muscles, and was a balancing maniac. (I slowly but surely am becoming quite adept at standing head to toe, which was my nemesis for awhile.) In addition to bikram being the best type of yoga for swimming IMO, it also provides an aerobic workout. Your heartrate is elevated throughout the workout, especially the last half, with the effort of holding the poses in the heat and humidity.

ART, 30 minutes:

After bikram, I dashed home to shower and then off to ART. I hadn't been since Dec. 3, and I really needed some upper body work. I am now clad with scads of blue KT all over my back and shoulders. I'll wear it the next few days in the water and will, as before, find it utterly un-performance enhancing.

Commentary:

I did sleep like a log after that magnesium injection yesterday.

Had a great day today and it was topped off by my son getting a fantastic thumbs up from the Dartmouth lightweight rowing coach. He basically guaranteed admission if Fort Son will commit to Dartmouth and rowing. I think it's a no brainer, but Fort Son will have to give up his first choice school where he was deferred EA. He has to make a decision very soon, and we may be making a trek up to Hanover. Kinda psyched about the possibility of my son going to my alma mater.

(Not that Hanover is a joy to visit in the winter.)

Updated January 5th, 2011 at 08:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , ART
  3. Tuesday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2011 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

-- This was a modified Tall Paul workout. All fast kicks were with fins.

6 x 50 @ 1:00, single arm fly
    :30 rest
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (flutter with board, went 1:03 -- ugh)
    4 x 25 free @ :30
    1 x 50 scull

6 x 75 breast @ 1:25
    1 x 100 fast (90%) kick (backstroke, went :59)
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    1 x 50 fast AFAP kick (flutter w/board, high 26)
    1:00 rest
    1 x 50 scull

5 x 100 backstroke @ 1:45
    (In Paul's workout, these were intended as 200s.)
    1 x 50 AFAP kick (backstroke kick, high 24, cramped)
    1 x 50 scull

100 EZ

Total: 3450

Commentary:

This workout -- not the structure, just how I felt -- sucked. My body is still sore and fatigued from starting and acclimating back to drylands. The fast kicks were torture. And I didn't even have any "whine" last night. Or maybe I'm also tired from doing more swimming than usual? (Or I could blame it, and perhaps this is the more likely culprit, on my thyroid issue.) My flog says I'm at 13,200 in 3 days, thanks to the New Year's workout. No swimming tomorrow -- yoga + chiro.

New Blood Work:

Got another round of blood tests back after a month of BHRT and vitamin therapy:

hormones, mostly right
    thyroid, too low, increase dosage
    DHEA, too high
    Vit. D, too low
    Iron, too low (though I've found one, Hemagenics) that I can at least tolerate
    RBC Magnesium, still way too low, had to have an injection. This could be causing my frequent cramping (along with the thyroid problem).
    Core body temp, still 97.4 -- absolutely horrible for fat burning.

Questions:

1. Does anyone find that you can sleep off overtraining or hard regular training?

2. Anyone doing a standing cable chest fly? I see people doing these all the time at the gym, but I've never tried it. Good for swimming or not? Since it gets the pec major, it seems like it would be ...

Note:

Deer Geek, I really can't go to the Sunbelt Meet because our high school district championship swim meet is that weekend. I likely will be too decrepit in any event.

Updated January 4th, 2011 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Monday, Jan. 3

by , January 3rd, 2011 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

HS single leg extension, 30 x 2 x 8, each leg
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
    squat swing w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    russian twists w/plate on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    bicep curls, 40 x 2 x 8
    extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00
    (this bothered my shins, which are feeling kind of shin splinty after all that kicking with fins yesterday)

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had an hour to swim. Did the exact opposite of yesterday.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick with long MF:

16 x 25 shooters
    4 belly, 4 back, 4 right side, 4 left side

50 EZ

4 x broken 100 shooter
    5 seconds rest at each 25, all UW

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP Set:
    10 x 25 free w/15 meter burst @ :45

-- Forgot what the RA recommended interval was for this set. They were supposed to be on 1:00, not :45. I was wondering, as it seemed too little rest given the effort level. Felt sort of out of sync on these.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins AFAP (went 25)

-- This time reflects the fact that I haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks.

200 EZ

Total: 2200/1000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My left shoulder was a bit twinge-y, most likely from paddle use yesterday. I used the red strokemakers instead of the green ones. Probably better advised to stick with the smaller green ones. (Though I think they've disappeared in Mini Fort's equipment bag.) So I didn't do any push/pulls at the gym today and stuck with mostly core & leg work.

New Year's Resolutions:

I don't usually make these, as I'm pretty self motivated. But I think I can improve in 2 areas: go to sleep earlier and less SB/chard/pinot. I kicked this off by falling asleep at 11:30 pm last night, fairly early for me. I'm usually asleep at 12:30-1:00. I'll attempt a complete alcohol ban for awhile. I believe Speedo is doing this too until Zones? I see the benefits as improved sleep, minor weight loss, less dehydration (and hence possibly less cramping) and better absorption of vitamins.

Tentative 2011 Meets:

Very tentative revised plan, which has me at 9 meets, but 3-4 are multi-day. This is pushing it on the family front somewhat, and I doubt I'll make them all. I've never done this many travel meets before. But this gives me plenty to mull over, and I can adjust and subtract as needed. So far, there are no conflicts with Mr. Fort's running events through the marathon.

March 6, Warrenton Meet SCY
    -- cruise in late to swim a couple events.

March 19, Albatross Open SCM
    -- Probably rest 10 days or depending on how I feel. I suspect I'll need a major rest from training at this point.

April 16, Colonies Zones SCY
    -- I'll only compete on Saturday b/c I have to leave that afternoon for Boston for the marathon.

May 20-23, Canadian Nationals SCM (Montreal)
    -- Very tentative. Have to run this by Mr. Fort. This meet appeals to me b/c of location and b/c it's SCM. Need to get a link to the order of events. If I go, I'd do a full taper.

June 18-June 31, Cruise in Europe
    -- This throws a real wrench in LCM Nats in early August. I can see being forced to do something in the small ship pool, while hammering the drylands and cycle.

August 4-6, LCM Nats at Auburn
    -- I won't be in ideal shape for 100s with the timing of my vacation, but hopefully my speed won't disappear.

Late August, Colonies Zones, LCM, U of Md
    -- Assuming we have CZ at U of Md again this year, this would be better timing for a taper meet than Auburn. The only downside is that this meet is smaller and hence less rest. Other possible complications are a week at the beach and taking Fort Son to college.

September, Savageman Triathlon
    -- This year, I won't train for this event at all beyond doing 4 x 500 free one day or so. I will just hop in and go, hopefully without asthma problems this time. I have informed the two relay zealots of this fact.

October 15-16, Rowdy Gaines Classic SCM
    -- Probably won't go to this if I go to Canadian Nats. But I have already run this meet by Mr. Fort. Or I could do this meet in lieu of a December meet.

October 30, Sprint Classic, GMU, SCY

Mid-December, NE Champs or CZ Champs or local Last Minute Meet, SCM

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  5. New Years Practice, Sun., Jan. 2

by , January 2nd, 2011 at 01:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Got out of bed on time (after a night in DC no less!) and headed to GMU for the annual Swim in the New Year Practice:

111 x 50, done as:

20 x 50 warm up @ 1:00

-- Did 5 free, 5 back, 5 backstroke kick, 5 free
    -- Went much faster than my typical warm up on these

20 x 50 stroke:
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55
    5 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    5 x 50 swim @ :55

-- I did the third set evil kick. I think one New Year Resolution may be to give this up completely. I am abysmally slow.

20 x 50 pull
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40
    5 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 50 @ :40

-- Missed 2 50s on the second set b/c of a cap malfunction. Made them up at the end though.

2 x 50 EZ

20 x 50 w/fins @ :45

-- Barb and I switched the interval from :40 to :45, as we already knew what the next set was.
    -- I alternated 2 x 50 free or back with 2 x 50 backstroke kick throughout the set. I figured this was a good way not to lose count. There is an extremely small likelihood that I could actually count to 20 while simultaneously keeping track of when to go. I think this requires actual experience. Had some calf cramp issues during this set.

20 x 50 short rest free @ :40, can use equipment

-- I have to admit that I thought about doing a slower interval on this set. I was pretty tired, but I gave myself a mental pep talk and it actually went far better than expected.
    -- I went 5 x 50 free w/paddles & fins and then switched to 15 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins. I held the 50s kick at 31-32, really emphasizing dolphin kicking from the hips to spare the calves a bit. I clearly have more lower body endurance than upper body endurance.

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = easy
    evens = fast fly w/fins (went 28, 27, 26)

3 x 50 EZ (I did 5 x 50 EZ)

Total: 5550/2000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Survived! This may be the most yardage I've done as a master. This seems fairly wimpy after reading Patrick's blog, but it's along way for a drop dead sprinter. It's also hard to crank up the yardage when you're only doing 50s. But, for me, this was a great way to get in a solid aerobic effort. Really enjoyed the practice.

I took yesterday off completely and hadn't been in the water for 3 days as a result. I probably overdid it during the last week with all the free time to train, and the bikram yoga on New Years Eve really flattened me. I think I need to limit bikram to 1x week -- it takes too much out of me and interferes with swim training.

I'm not really ready to get back to the grind yet ...

Flogs:

Think I will flog this year. Do the flogs keep track of how many workouts you do (swim, weights, cycle, etc.) in addition to how much yardage you do? I'd be interested in that. I wish there was also a way to automatically tote up race pace efforts or kick yardage though. I may just manually keep track of that in the daily entries. Though I don't have a GTD goal, I arbitrarily set it at 300 miles, which for me would reflect consistency in training.

Updated January 2nd, 2011 at 08:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Friday, Dec. 31

by , December 31st, 2010 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

I really wanted to swim today, but I had made prior plans to take a friend to class at noon. There were a record number of people there -- must have been 60+ people in the class. My friend survived and professed to not hate it. Sometimes the first class is so difficult, some don't come back for more. It was exceedingly hot in there today, definitely at 110 with high humidity. I am dead now as a result. Plan to hit the gym for an easy swim tomorrow and go to my team "Swim in The New Year" practice on Sunday.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Updated January 1st, 2011 at 10:48 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  7. More Drylands, Thursday, Dec. 30

by , December 30th, 2010 at 03:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

long arm crunches, 50
    superman streamlines on back on bosu, 2 x 1:00
    lower back, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10, 120 x 1 x 10
    HS power squat, 140 x 2 x 10
    HS iso lateral hi row, 150 x 1 x 8, 160 x 1 x 8
    (surprised to start this high after a month off)
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    push ups, 2 x 15
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    RC work, 15 minutes

Bike, 20 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Commentary:

Felt pretty good at the gym despite some residual soreness from 2 days ago.

SCM Rankings:

Unless something is added manually, in my 6 events I fared as follows in the 45-49 age group:

#1 50 back (31.1)
    #2 50 fly (30.3)
    #2 100 back (1:10.2)
    #4 100 fly (1:10.2)
    #4 50 evil (38.9)
    #6 50 free (28.7)

Happy with the times/rankings as, at times, 2010 did not seem to be my year (at least compared to 2009). It's a bit sad when freestyle is one's worst stroke though ...

Looking Ahead:

At Ande's suggestion, I checked out the NRs in my soon to be new age group. Food for thought. Some seem reachable, although they are tech suit times. But I did swim under four of these times this year without the tech suit. Of course, I will be a year older and creakier ... Gotta stay healthy and injury free.

NRs 50-54:

50 back SCY, 28.7
    100 back SCY, 1:02.6
    50 back SCM, 32.1
    100 back SCM, 1:10.3
    50 fly SCM, 30.6
    50 back LCM, 32.87
    100 back LCM, 1:13.5
    50 fly LCM, 30.7

I need to formulate a better training and meet plan. Does anyone know when the Rowdy Gaines meet will be next year? I seem to recall it was a week before the Sprint Classic this year. If so, I might try to do both meets this year.

Updated December 30th, 2010 at 04:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Backstroke Workout, Wed., Dec. 29

by , December 29th, 2010 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 backstroke drill @ 1:00

8 x 50 hypoxic kick @ 1:00

8 x 100 backstroke w/paddles @ 1:30

16 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    (went 1:11-12 on 1st 8 and 1:10-1:11 on 2nd 8)

-- I was sharing a lane at this point and backstroke kick is the easiest thing to do in half a lane.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/2200 kicking

Commentary:

Squeezed an aerobic workout in this am before hitting the hair salon for a marathon session on the red tresses. (One of Mini Fort's swim friends just went red, and I warned her about the difficulties of maintaining this color while swimming.)

I've done a lot of working out since 2:00 pm yesterday and am pretty tired. I will likely just hit the gym tomorrow. But I feel like I'm getting somewhat back in badass form.

Now off to dinner with friends!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Gym: 3 Hours, Dec. 28

by , December 28th, 2010 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

20 minutes on cycle

bicycles, 50
    long arm crunches, 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 20
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 2 x 5, each side
    total ab machine, 110 x 2 x 20 (love this machine b/c it gets the back too)
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 10
    skull crusher, 50 x 2 x 15
    leg press, 310 x 2 x 10
    seated lat pulldown, 90 x 2 x 10
    med ball slams, 10

RC Work, 10 minutes

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters w/fins

5 x 100 back w/paddles @ 1:45

10 x 25 breast drill (1 pull, 2 kicks)

-- also working on streamline with hands closer together for the pre-kick and a quicker pull down

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:35

10 x 25 backstroke kick
    15 SDKs, got to 16+ meters

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2500 meters

Commentary:

Got a substantial workout in today b/c I didn't have to drive Mini Fort to either of her practices. She did go to her first official winter crew practice today. She says she likes rowing.

I expect to be sore after today's effort. Still going with mostly aerobic work while I suffer through the soreness from recommencing drylands. Hate that stage!

I don't think I have to renew last year's new year's resolution to stretch more. Don't really have any resolution for this year yet. I guess I could stand to focus more on RC exercises. Unlike most, I don't have a GTD goal either, so I don't have to worry about year end yardage. But good luck to those who are getting after it!

Now I have to prep for a dinner party.
  10. Yoga, Mon., Dec.27

by , December 27th, 2010 at 08:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Made it back to the yoga studio today for the first time in about 5 weeks. I was pleased that, because it was so cold and blustery, they had trouble getting the temp/humidity as high as normal. Some regulars complained about it, but I didn't mind. Sometimes 110 is just too hot for me. Balance was slightly off, which is typical for a long layoff.

I briefly considered going for a quick swim this afternoon. But after the MF work + weights + yoga, my legs were just fried. So I went to a late afternoon showing of True Grit. Very good, but IMO not as good as The Fighter.
    Categories
    Yoga
  11. Sunday, Dec. 26

by , December 26th, 2010 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100 @ 1:30 w/MF
    odds = w/board
    evens = on back

-- worked on emphasizing up kick

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF @ :30
    10 on back, 10 on belly

50 EZ

4 x through:
    100 breast pull w/buoy
    100 free pull w/paddles
    50 scull (25 front +25 back)

50 EZ

10 x (25 easy speed fly w/fins + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    -- worked on emphasizing up kick. When I do this, I do one less stroke per 25.

100 EZ

Total: 3900/1700 kicking

Drylands Lite:

Much needed RC Work, 15 minutes

long arm crunches, 50
    reverse roll ins w/yoga ball, 2 x 15
    total ab machine, 10 x 2 x 20
    alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 30
    goblet squat, 50 x 2 x 15
    forward lunges, 30 x 1 x 15
    standing lat pulldown, 90 x 3 x 10

Yoga/Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

Busted my long 28 inch monofin out of storage today. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2183.htm. I don't like this one as much as the Finis shooter MF, but I seem to have misplaced my fav toy somehow. However, this MF is good for aerobic kicking, technique work/streamlining and core/leg work (just not fast kicking -- at least for me in SCY). I wouldn't recommend this one for anyone with lower back issues though.

Still following my plan of starting the season off with aerobic work and lots of kicking, as I ease back into drylands. Can't believe I haven't been to the gym in a month!

Had a lovely Xmas. SR gifts included Dara's newest book and a USMS shammy sweatshirt (it was featured in Streamlines a month or so ago). Saw The Fighter last night -- quite good. True Grit and The Black Swan are on my list to see before New Years. Mr. Fort and I are also renting some Coen Brothers movies this week. So glad the storm is missing the DC area!!! No desire to be housebound this week.

Updated December 26th, 2010 at 06:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  12. 12 Swim-Kicks of Xmas Eve, Friday, Dec. 24

by , December 24th, 2010 at 02:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I read Stud's workout this am and decided to swipe and modify it to my own kick-centric version. Took about :30 seconds rest between sets.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

12 x 50 @ 1:00
    warm up: 4 free/4 kick/4 free

11 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = breast drill
    evens = breast pull w/buoy

9 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 UW shooter on back + 25 easy back kick
    only hit the bottom a couple times

8 x 50 free w/paddles & fins @ :50
    I couldn't find my regular green paddles, so used some larger red ones I found in the family sport closet. Size does make a difference when it comes to paddles. Felt like I was flying with no effort.

7 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ :50

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy DAB

5 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ :50

4 x 50 backstroke @ 1:00

3 x 50 chest press fly drill @ :15 RI

2 x 50 easy free

1 x 50 dolphin dive

Total: 4000 meters/1500 kick

Commentary:

Still in slow mo aerobic mode, but feel like I'm finally coming out of my cold funk.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, Dec.23

by , December 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

Main Sets:

12 x 150 w/fins @ 2:30, done as
    100 swim (4 of each stroke, drill fly)
    + 5 seconds rest to don nose clip
    + 50 hypoxic dolphin kick on back (breath only after flags)

50 EZ

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = breast drill
    evens = fly drill

50 EZ

Total: 2800

Commentary:

Still battling the evil cold. But felt slightly less congested the last two days after swimming. Not much energy though, which was not helped by having 8 vials of blood drawn this am for more blood tests.

Still, I feel like I'm at least maintaining feel and focusing on technique some with these easy workouts. I felt better today in the pool than I did yesterday after being out of the water for so long. Going to try and get in a quick swim tomorrow before the festivities begin. There may be snow on Xmas day, which could result in pool closures given the general panic that ensues here. Really ready to get back to drylands and yoga soon.

Both fridges/freezers are completely stocked with food, wine and drinks. Now I'm off to start a fire, play gin rummy with Lil Fort and wrap presents.

Updated December 23rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wed., Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2010 at 01:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still battling this nasty cold, but I may be winning ... Of course, as I've had it for 10+ days, I'm not sure this should really be described as "winning." After 5 days off, I tottered over to the pool today for a short aerobic workout:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = single arm fly
    odds = breast drill

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 shooter + 25 scull (alternate front & back)

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free
    evens = flutter kick with board

100 EZ

Total: 2400

Commentary:

The pool was more crowded than usual with college kids home for the holidays. My masters team has most of its regularly scheduled practices over the holiday season except for Xmas day. I'm hoping I feel well enough to attend a few. I've never attended our New Year practice, as I'm typically out of town, and would like to. This year, it's 111 x 50.

I'm worried that long swim meets make me sick. I seem to have had major illnesses after my last couple taper meets where I've been in the pool area all day until 5-6:00 at night. Maybe the poor air quality does a number on my apparently impaired immune system?

Mini Fort is planning her own boot camp of sorts during the holidays. I'm hoping to join her for some of it. Not feeling quite up to drylands yet though. And, no matter. Mini is now in possession of her driver's license and her life is "amazing" as a result.

Updated December 22nd, 2010 at 01:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Hanging Up My Suit, Dec. 18

by , December 18th, 2010 at 02:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hanging up my suit ... through the weekend.

I must have overdid it Thursday because I woke up worse instead of better (as I expected) on Friday. After skipping a workout and officiating a Friday night swim meet, I feel just as crappy today. So I'm ditching all thought of working out this weekend. I'm not even sure I could get to a pool without an hour commute each way in any event. The roads here in urban suburbia are absolute gridlock with the weekend holiday shopping traffic. It's frightening.

Poor Mini Fort is the latest target of the nasty family cold and, unfortunately, has another swim meet tonight. I've asked for a substitute official for me. Still hoping I don't succumb to another long round of bronchitis. Or I will be very very crabby and grinch like. Ho ho ho. Off to wrap presents and sip green tea.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. PM Swim at GMU, Thurs., Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2010 at 09:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Slept in today, trying to battle my cold. And I think it's holding at just a cold. Woke up to snow and schools closed 2 hours early. Was feeling slightly better, so decided to head to practice at Mason tonight. And, honestly, I didn't feel like thinking up my own practice. And I definitely didn't feel like any sprint work. It'll just be aerobic & technique work for a couple weeks as I regroup.

Got there early -- no traffic, everyone scared of 2 inches of snow -- did 15 minutes of core work and stretching while chatting with Melanie.

Swim @ Mason:

Warm up:

600 swim, middle 200 no free

400 IM, 50 kick/50 drill

600 pull
    I didn't have my paddles and wouldn't have pulled in any event w/o getting my RC exercises going again. So instead did 6 x 100 back kick w/fins @ mod pace @ 1:30.

Main Sets:

6 x 150, done as 100 IM + 50 dolphin kick on back w/fins @ 2:15 (It's been so long since I did a 100 IM in practice, I'd almost forgotten how to do one.)

50 EZ

7 x 100 @ 1:50
    1-3 kick, no fins, descend to fast
    4 = easy free
    5-7 kick, no fins, descend to fast

I descended to medium. Went 10-8-8-8 SDK per 25.

50 EZ

Starting to feel absolutely gassed and crampy here ...

3 x through:
    2 x 75 medium @ 1:15
    2 x 25 fast @ :30
    30 seconds extra rest between rounds
    wore fins, very tired

round 1 = free
    round 2 = non free (did breast)
    round 3 = kick

I had no fast gear and did all the 25s as easy speed UW shooters

100 EZ

Total: 4100/1950 kick

Commentary:

I'd almost forgot what a regular workout was like ... Thursday nights at Mason are always fun b/c Cheryl gives a mix of stroke/kick/sprint. I'm beat from that effort and pretty glad that school is already delayed 2 hours in the am. More sleep!

Updated December 17th, 2010 at 03:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wed., Dec. 15

by , December 15th, 2010 at 07:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bad cold is raging.

Spent the day:

30 minutes = stretching/yoga (all I could muster)

2 hours online shopping

2 hours dragging myself through the mall

2 hours in high anxiety about Fort Son's pending Early Action application. Result: deferred to regular decision.

I guess it's much better to be deferred than rejected. Only 13+% are admitted early where Fort Son applied early action (Yale). 36+% rejected outright. Now we have to send off all the other applications and wait and wait. One of Fort Son's buddies got rejected EA from Stanford with almost perfect SAT scores and grades and he has the distinction of being an ultra runner and ironman triathlete. The competition is fierce these days! No matter, I am very proud of him. And I'm glad he came with me to Boston b/c he liked the schools there.

Next Meets:

My next meet will likely be the Albatross Open:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=2760.

I swim different events every year at this meet. Right now, barring another pre-meet flu issue, I think I may swim the 100 fly, 100 IM and 50 free. (Though it's always tempting to do the 4 x 50.)

Also thinking of cruising in late for this meet:

http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/TSentry2011.pdf

I was thinking of doing the 100 back for practice. I could even do it as part of the 200 back, if they have electronic timing. Not sure if they do at this meet.

Updated December 15th, 2010 at 11:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  18. Vid + Recovery Swim, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2010 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

100 easy

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    5 x back/belly/right side/left side

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

10 minutes hot tub

The showers weren't working and were frigid!

Commentary:

Still pretty beat from the weekend. And the cold I was getting before is now in full force. Better now than at the meet, I guess. Hoping to go to yoga tomorrow. I seem to recall I have another PRP treatment this week as well. Finally heard of another swimmer (Nuthin But 50s) who's going to try PRP in lieu of surgery on his ACL.

100 back vid:

Stud video'd my 100 back (1:10.26) from NE Champs. Videos are always very revealing. I was underwater more than I thought despite the calf cramp. Even managed what looked like 9 SDKs on the last 25. My turnover seemed very slow and I was crossing over with my left arm. I don't usually do that. I was definitely lounging leisurely into my last couple turns. That could be party due to my unfamiliarity with backstroke flags set at 5 meters instead of 5 yards. Splits = 33.68/36.58.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMlapHo1HHc"]YouTube - P1020994[/nomedia]

Same slow turnover from my 100 back in Atlanta (1:01.9), though I was underwater more there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube - Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

Tom Dolan Meet:

This was the first time in years I missed spectating and cheering at this meet. Fortunately, there was great coverage on swimming world tv. http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../workouts/7540. Jack Conger's 1:43.1 200 back was amazing! I also liked comment that Janet Hu (NAG record holder and winner of the 100 fly here) trains frequently with a monofin. Mine is still awol.

Updated December 14th, 2010 at 06:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. NE Champs, Day 2, Dec. 12

by , December 13th, 2010 at 12:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2:

I was very tired after day 1's 250 medley and hoping for a "dead to the world" type sleep, but it was not to be. I was too hyped up and caffeinated. But this is typical during a meet for me. Headed over to the pool with SwimmieAvsFan for a leisurely warm up. I felt pretty smooth, though the legs were a bit leaden and fatigued.

100 back, 1:10.26:

I was fairly nervous for this event, much like the 100 fly. There were no flyover starts in backstroke at this meet, so I was a tad peeved when the starter decided to start my heat (the final one) with a swimmer still in my lane. Slightly distracting.

I had a slight cramp in my left calf on the start, which I'm sure was due to fatigue, as I had no cramping problems on day 1. But it wasn't too bad -- not nearly as bad as the cramp I had off the start in the 100 back in Indy last year. So I compensated by not kicking quite as hard or far underwater and not going out fast. The rest of the race was fine; I think I was somewhat lazy on my turns though. Splits were 33.68/36.58.

Given the wobbly start, I was very happy and surprised with my final time of 1:10.26. I had been hoping to break 1:12. Last year, I swam a 1:10.9 (B70) and 1:09.5 (Jaked, I think), so this was my second fastest time ever and very close to my super suit times, off by only .7 and I didn't have any cramping issues on my swim at Boston last year. According to the GBC converter, my time of 1:10.26 converts 1:01.56, which is actually .4 faster than my 100 back from Atlanta swum in a Jaked.

Stud video'd this race for me and I reviewed it on the camera. My arms looked like they were moving in super slow mo compared to my 50 backs until the final 25. (I noticed the same thing in my 100 back from Atlanta.) I don't seem to have a true 100 speed turnover. I suppose this is due to my fear of dying on these events. I think my 100s would benefit from a more aggressive approach. But I would have to train more specifically for it. I'll download the video later.

50 fly, 30.39

There was not much time between the 100 back and 50 fly - even Chris mentioned this. I would have preferred another 30 minutes of rest or so. I would even have gladly taken 2 hours.

I felt extremely tired during the race -- was just powering through it. Both breakouts were sub par, as confirmed by Muppet. Which is a bit disappointing because 3 out of 4 of my 100 fly breakouts were solid. But I had a fast turn and I nailed the finish with no glide at all.

Very happy with the time, which is 1.2 faster than I swam at the Albatross meet earlier in the year. It's still .7 slower than I went last year, but I think the suits effect the short axis strokes more. Using the GBM converter, this converts to a 27.3 in SCY, which is only .3 off my best time in a Jaked from Atlanta.

This time also lands me 2nd in the current event rankings behind the amazing SVDL, so I am thrilled with that!

Scratches:

I scratched the open 50 back and 100 free. Every muscle in my body was sore and aching by then and I didn't think I'd go any faster than 31.14 in the open 50.* (I think the winning time in that event was a 31.6.) Plus, the pool conditions/air quality were causing me sinus and wheezing problems (which are worse today, blech). And 6 events is plenty for a wimpy sprinter! I was amped-out. So I just relaxed for a couple hours, chatted and watched my friends' races before ravenously wolfing down real food and heading to the airport.

* Jimslie texted me that this time was the second fastest time swum in any age group so far this year in SCM.

Summary:

Last SCM meet in my current age group!

50 back, 31.14
    50 fly, 30.3
    50 breast, 38.9
    50 free, 28.77
    100 back, 1:10.26
    100 fly, 1:10.22

Very pleased with all the times. (Just wish I had gotten a 100 IM time.) I was hesitant about signing up for this meet initially since I only had about 4-5 weeks of really solid training before my 2 week taper. But I'm glad I did. I think I might have "drifted" too much in training without a goal meet to break things up. And now I'm ready to get back to some non-taper workouts. Though I may not get in much training this week with xmas looming - I am way behind. Plus, I have that nice post taper meet "hit by a mack truck" feeling.

It was pretty dicey getting back from Boston last night (torrential rain there and high winds here). SwimmieAvsFan and Muppet's flight was cancelled and they were stranded there. My flight was very delayed and I didn't arrive home until 1:00 am. But it was all worth it!

And Fort Son had fun tooling around Boston and checking out schools. I was happy he didn't get lost on the MBTA!

Unofficial Results:

http://www.vaswim.org/meets/results/...sults_2010.htm

And on those results is my split request from the 200 back. Whew. (I know I shouldn't stress about this, but I've had a couple splits almost go missing the last couple years.) Oddly, my time is the exact same time as last year, right down to the hundredth of a second.

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    ================================================== =============================
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    ================================================== =============================
    1 Luallen-Egg, Andrea 45 GSM-NJ 34.87
    2 Skrobis, Amy V 45 ABC-NE 37.52
    3 Delorey, Laura E 48 GWDM-NE 39.49
    4 Stokes, Karin E 49 GSP-NE 40.27
    5 Cheney, Jane E 49 GWDM-NE 46.45
    6 Zraket, Lisa 46 YNS-NE 47.38
    7 Barker, Joanne L 46 CMSC-NE 47.99

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    1 Livingston, Leslie 49 GMUP-PV 31.14Z

Updated December 13th, 2010 at 11:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  20. NE Champs, Day 1, Dec. 11

by , December 11th, 2010 at 09:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 1 went exceedingly well, better than I expected. I even managed to swim all 4 of my events today -- practically an ironman feat for me. . I'm now fairly flattened as a result.

100 fly, 1:10.26

So glad this was the first event of the day! My last pre-B70 time was a 1:12ish (I recall). Last year, in B70, I went a 1:09.8. I expected to go a 1:12-1:13 here, given the general 2 second time differential per 100 free SCY. Was shocked and thrilled with my 1:10.2, only .4 off my best. I tried to SDK a lot. Mollie said that, by 25s, I went 12-13 meters, 10 meters, 10 meters, 8 meters. I popped up a little early on the last length after a longish turn. Just needed some air. But otherwise my breakouts were solid and smooth. Had the usual last 10 meter piano, but at least didn't go vertical. This is my hardest event, and I don't really train for it in any conventional way, so I was pleased. Kicking saves me in this event. I think this time puts me 3rd in the overall rankings behind two new 45 year olds, if I recall the SPMA results correctly.

50 back, 31.14 (split on 200 back)
    (final 200 time, a blazing 3:20 )

If I wasn't typing on my iPhone I'd put in a bliss smiley here. Edit: My previous time from the Albatross meet was a 32.5, but I was hoping to go a bit faster based on the 28.1 I swam at the Sprint Classic on Oct. 24 after the bronchitis taper. Honestly, my secret goal, was to swim faster than 31.6, but anything can go wrong in a 50 and, as I previously said, I would have been pleased with anything under 32.

I executed reasonably well, but not perfectly. My hands were crossed (first time ever) on the start, which was slightly disconcerting. 14 SDKs on the start and 15 on the turn. There was a stroke & turn judge right at the 15 meter mark, so didn't take any chances on that front on the start. I was a bit too far from the wall on the turn and glided into the finish -- probably due to the 5 meter flags. No matter, I was very thrilled to stop, gasp for air, squint at the scoreboard and see the 31.14. Stud also had my split writ large on a piece of paper as I headed to the warm down pool -- very sweet. I had informed the referee (who stood over my finish) and both the women swimming next to me that I was doing a split, so that they were well aware and didn't have any angst. I did legally finish the race in a stellar time of 3:20, causing only a very minor delay of the meet. Did the second 50 double arm backstroke.

This is the same time I swam last year at this meet in a Jaked or B70 and should put me in the AA spot, unless there are other times I'm unaware of. This would be my first AA in the 50 back in SCM. I've ended up second on several occasions. So I'm ditching this age group on a high note!

I could happily have stopped swimming for the day at this juncture. I was happy and tired. (Veni, vici, vidi, in a manner of speaking.) But the day was long and I had plenty of rest so carried on.

50 breast, 38.9

Pretty happy with this time, especially since I was trying to be very conservative on the pre-kick and pulldown. Over a second slower than last year, but, like Allen Stark, I think swimming evil in a Jaked is like a different stroke entirely. This is still my second fastest time in SCM (out of only 3-4 swims, I think) and a much better effort than the 41.8 I turned in in LCM. Currently, this puts me in the number 3 spot. (Which rather confirms my thought that the speed suits make the mosy difference in evil.

SwimStud had an amazing 50 breast today, dropping two full seconds+ from last year! I wish I had video'd this, as he had awesome forward momentum, but it was right after my swim and I was gasping. I got his 100 breast the next day though.

50 free, 28.77

I was going to scratch this event. I really was. I haven't swum 4 events at a taper meet in eons. But decided it might be easier to do at the end of the day today than late tomorrow afternoon as a split in the 100 free. Happy with the time. It's .5 faster than I went at the Albatross meet, but still .5 off my B70 PB (which I did as the very first swim at BU last year). I had a quite sub par turn -- it was dark outside (5:00 pm or so) and that made it harder to pick up the wall without the light streaming through the windows. Still, I'll take it flaws and all!

Overall, I was extremely happy with the day. I'm worried I'll be bushed tomorrow. But hopefully a decent night's sleep will help. Tomorrow, I have the 100 back, 50 fly and 50 back. I'm scratching the 100 free. Depending on how I feel, I might not swim the 50 back again, as it would be my 7th event. I'm very very glad I put in a split request to get a time before the end of the meet! I hate it when 50 back is the last event when my legs are dead.

Updated December 13th, 2010 at 03:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events