http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Sprints + Vertical Kicking, Wed., Nov. 11

by , November 11th, 2009 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY Workout at GMU w/Speedo, Jazz & Wolfy:

PART 1:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

(Jazz was in the hottub for much of this. lol)

Pre Sets:

6 x 25 Jazzy "good swimmer drill" @ :40

In this drill, you tap your head on the freestyle recovery before entering the water. This drill is designed to promote high elbows and proper entry. I loved this one. I might incorporate this drill regularly if I actually do some tri relays next year. Straight arm doesn't work so well in OW.

3 x (4 x 25 variables) @ :30
    #1 12.5 fast/12.5 easy
    #2 12.5 easy/12.5 fast
    #3 build
    #4 fast

I didn't do #4 fast, just cruised instead.

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick w/fins @ 1:00
    The girly boys were very lazy on these, though Jazz claimed to go fast on one of these. I missed that. Sheesh, wimpy kickers.

50 EZ

Sprint Set:

8 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 2:30

Previously, Pete and I did these on 3:00. But Wolfy couldn't tolerate our lollygagging ways, so forced us to do them @ 2:30. I did 6 free w/fins and 2 backstroke SDK w/fins. Jazz and Wolfy had some nice races and Speedo looked speedy as usual. Jazzy blatantly taunted the Wolf by putting on a drag suit and pull buoy and challenging him. I'm actually not sure who won that duel. All I know is that Jazz and Wolf are both evil "leave a second early cheaters" and none of the girly men could beat me on the 25s, even when I was kicking, unless they used super fins. (I had forgotten my own fins and used some of Mason's -- they were awful, those floaty Speedo fins that are good for drills, but not speedwork.) I felt pretty draggy on the first couple of 25s, but then sped up. I didn't have that easy speed feel, but I think I was just too sore from the mega dryland yesterday.

100 EZ

Total: 2450

Jazz left at this point, being utterly uninterested in vertical kicking and having done much more yardage than usual.

PART 2:

Kill the Wolf Vertical Kicking Circuit:

2 x through:
    No evil kicking allowed whatsoever
    No fins, except when Wolfy needed them to do or finish the set.

#1 med ball throw:

Paul, Pete and I did the first round for 2:30.
    Wolfy & I did the second round for about 1:30

I wish I had a partner to do this with more often. Very fun and hard work.

#2 5:00 vertical kicking with hands at shoulders

I did the first round dolphin kick and the second round alternating dolphin kick and flutter kick by 1:00 intervals. Wolfy and I agreed that flutter kick was harder b/c you don't recruit the core as much.

Pete did round 1 of these and then had to leave for work. Or was it a hair appt.?

#3 "sprint"

1 x flutter kick in streamline position for as long as you can without mouth going below surface

1 x dolphin kicking same way.

I made about 30 seconds on both of these, but I had a somewhat sloppy streamline. Need to work on this. These "sprint" kicks are great for working on increasing kick tempo. You have to kick really fast and hard to stay above the water.

Wolfy lasted about 2 seconds on the first one. Speedo suggested that underwater film to catch the facial expression could be interesting.

#4 vertical kicking with med ball for 1:00

OMG, this was HARD. We had a 6 pound ball and a 8 pound ball, and we each used one once. The 8 pound ball was much harder and it was hard for me to get through the second round. Quads were burning.

100 EZ

I was very proud of the Wolf for making it through this set! And I was really really glad to have some company for it.

15 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Part 2 was harder than Part 1. Doh.

As I noted above, I definitely want to add more of the high tempo VK to my routine.

Wolfy was mentioning that he thought I might be overtrained. IDK ... I thought I was just training hard. There are lots of folks swimming, lifting, and doing other forms of cross training just like me. And I am not showing the symptoms of overtraining that I've read about on other threads.

Here's one: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...t=overtraining

Plus, I did have a recovery week before the Sprint Classic and typically take Saturday off, though I didn't the last two.

But we both agreed that I might need a longer taper than my typical 2 week taper. Actually, I think my last taper was really 3 weeks b/c I dropped the leg work early. I think I'll have to go with 3 weeks again b/c I am always beating up on my legs. Or possibly more. I just have to figure out what to cut out, how much and when. I'm sure I'll enjoy the first week of taper and then just f'in hate the last 2 as usual ...

As to my plan to stop heavy lifting after NE Champs, Wolfy commented that lifting heavy 1x a week to maintain strength might not have any real benefit and just confuse the neural system. I still plan on strength training, of course, I'm just going to drop the heavy lifting on the leg press, hi row, bench press, deadlift, etc. for a few months. I need a mental break. This is apparently b/c I am an "ADD" trainer. Hahaha, I just like to mix it up. I'm going to focus on bodyweight work and plyos instead.

SCM Meet in DC:

Nice line up for this meet! Yay, Muppet for organizing a good meet with a good order of events. (Did you hear that guys? )

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1403&smid=1968

Had I known this earlier, not sure I would have booked my Boston flight ... And I still need to get my meet entries in for that meet.

Updated November 11th, 2009 at 07:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Meathead Ignoramus Workout, Tuesday, Nov. 10

by , November 10th, 2009 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Since I hadn't been to the gym in a few days, I made sure to get in a real meathead ignoramus extraordinaire workout today. I suspect I'll be dead later as usual.

Drylands:

HS hi row, warm ups sets, 210 x 1 x 5, 220 x 2 x 5 (PR)
    Dara yoga ball twist on cable machine, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    one legged squats w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 10 each leg
    lying overhead tricep press, 20 x 1 x 15, 30 x 1 x 15, 40 x 1 x 15
    leg press, warm up sets, 410 x 2 x 10 (PR)
    (this is the max weight on this machine)
    deadlift, 135 x 2 x 8
    push ups, 3 x 25
    body rows, 2 x 15

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25
    good morning darlings, 1 x 50

box jumps on high box, 1 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10

plyo circuit: 3 x through:

30 seconds lateral jumps over bench w/hands on bench (did 45-47 jumps)
    30 seconds rest
    1:00 jumping jills
    30 seconds rest
    30 seconds squat press w/15 lb med ball throwing up and catching it
    30 seconds rest

power wheel:

roll outs, 1 x 15, 1 x 25
    pike ups, 1 x 15

As I was getting ready to do the pike ups, a guy came over and declared the power wheel "an absolute instrument of torture." lol I started a second set of the pike ups, but felt an abdominal
    muscle strain on the left side, so I stopped. This is a very hard exercise if you roll up and out all the way. (Well, FortSon just told me I wasn't supposed to go completely flat ...)

prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each arm
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm

I then trudged into the hot gym pool and did the following very slowly:

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Slow aerobic work:

10 x 25 twirling 4 point shooters

5 x 100 on :20 RI done as 50 backstroke kick/50 back

50 dolphin dive

Total: 1650 meters

5 minutes hot tub
    5 minutes steam room

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, I would love a good massage and an ice bath. Alas, that is not happening, and I fear I will be sore tomorrow. But, unlike Jimby, I will not be weak.

I drank my pure sort workout and recovery drinks during the workout. I was famished after and made my own recovery smoothie with a banana, fresh blackberries, mixed frozen berries, coconut water, mangosteen juice, walnuts, glutamine, flax seed oil and whey protein.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to head to Mason to work out with Speedo, Wolfy and maybe Cage Fighter. Some vertical kicking is on the menu, including vertical kicking with med balls. We may alternate some endurance vertical kicking (as Ande did in one of his circuits recently) with some sprint kicking with the head above water in a streamline position. Wolfy has already announced he will be "moaning." But it will be good for him!

Updated November 10th, 2009 at 06:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Monday, Nov. 9

by , November 9th, 2009 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic/Aerobic Kick:

20 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30
    10 belly, 10 back

50 EZ

Speed Work:

5 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 AFAP flutter kick w/board + 25 EZ kick

10 x 50 back @ 1:00
    # 3, 6, 9 fast @ 90%
    (went 25, 25, 24.5ish)
    the other 50s EZ
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:10
    # 3, 6, 9 fast dolphin kick w/board & fins (went 26.5-27ish)
    the other 50s EZ
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x 50 @ 1:10
    25 fast evil + 25 EZ,
    working on pullouts

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ
    working on breakouts
    30 seconds extra rest

5 x (50 hypoxic w/fins + 50 EZ)
    50 hypoxic done on back as 25 EZ shooter + 25 AFAP shooter)

100 EZ

Total: 4100, 1750 kicking, only 700 fast

Commentary:

Got some decent sleep last night, but my legs were still pretty tired when I woke up today. I still feel like I banked a reasonably high quality sprint workout today with a large percentage of kicking. I made up this workout, and rather like it. I had thought about coming home and doing some power wheel work. But I'm going to save that for tomorrow and force myself to do RC work tonight while watching House.

Child #2 (Mini Fort) has now come down with swine flu.

Tris:

My Savageman relay mates were on line checking the BTB ironman tri results. The swim times were sick fast, between 44 minutes and 1:07. I can only imagine that this is due to a very strong current. Otherwise, I'll get owned big time in that "race."

I am apparently now expected/signed up to do both Savageman and BTB next year. I have warned my relay mates that I am extracting a big travel meet in return for this sacrifice. My running buddy asked how much I was aiming to improve in the Savageman swim leg. I said "one second." This apparently did not go over well. lmao. I've tried to explain to these clowns that I just can't train enough free for these crazy events without shoulder surgery! Indeed, if there's a nice current at BTB, I see no reason to not do part of the race backstroke!

Jimby vs Fort:

I received my USMS mag today and read the "Both Sides of the Lane Line" feature where Jimby and I went mano-a-mano. Mini-Fort said I got "owned" by Jimby, but she appreciates funny and is under the influence of piggy flu. Fort Son agreed with me, but then he likes weights. Jim has already announced on FB that he "crushed" me. Proof's in the pudding though. :-P

Chaos mentioned on FB that, after reading the debate, he had flashbacks to Jane Curtain/Dan Ackroyd. lol

Updated November 9th, 2009 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sunday, Nov.8

by , November 8th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC/Dryland:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    chops on yoga ball w/3 lb weights, 2 x 15, thumbs up and thumbs down
    prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb weights, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each arm
    soft med ball toss against wall, 1 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    1 legged squats resting other foot on yoga ball, 1 x 15 (Just tried these out. I think Jazz is right, and these would be good to add in addition to the other squats I do)

Swim/SCM/Solo:

800 EZ

10 minutes in hottub
    5 minutes in steamroom

Commentary:

I might have indulged in some Patrick-like hubris yesterday in doing both hot yoga and a run the day after doing the P90X plyo DVD. My alarm rang at 8:00 to go to practice at Mason today, and I just shut it off and went back to sleep. I've been exhausted all day. So, I just did a mini RC/recovery swim that I probably should have done yesterday. I hope I don't have to take tomorrow off. I'd like to get in a short, but quality, sprint workout.

That said, I think my legs feel stronger than they ever have from the plyos. I am, however, having a bit of left shoulder breakdown. I'm fairly certain this is due to failure to do adequate RC exercises. Whenever I get lazy and lapse in this area, I usually pay the price. (Hence, today's workout.) But Mr. Fort has been gone for 2 weeks, and sometimes I don't sit down till 10:30 pm. Unlike Chris, I can't get myself to do RC work at that time. And I don't think the yoga is aggravating the shoulder ... Bikram yoga doesn't have any of those umpteen thousand downward dogs they do in other types of yoga.

Stretching:

My husband mentioned that he had read an article in the NYT suggesting that dynamic stretching was no longer being advocated over static stretching. I'm not sure which article he was referring to. It could have been mentioned in the article on cooling down that was discussed on the forum. There were a lot of reader comments posted wrt that article. http://community.nytimes.com/comment...etching&st=cse
  5. Saturday, Nov. 7

by , November 7th, 2009 at 06:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Went to the 10:00 am 90 minute hot yoga class. This was my easiest class in terms of resisting heat stroke. As always, I'm pretty decent on postures with back bends involved and not so hot on balancing. But I'm improving slightly. Had my fav instructor Insel there today.

Then I went to the last regular season soccer game for my 9 year old. The weather was gorgeous, my daughter rang like a gazelle (she's a natural wingman), and we had a little party afterward.

My lunatic relay partners (who are co-soccer coaches) are anxious awaiting results from the Wrightsville Beach ironman tri taking place today.

PM: Run:

Wasn't sure what exercise to engage in this afternoon. Given the beautiful weather, I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile trail loop. The first mile was mildly tortuous after my manic plyo session yesterday and yoga this am, but then my legs relaxed and I felt pretty strong. I still walked a nasty up though.

Meets/Times:

I understand that there is going to be a meet here in PV the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend at the Freedom Center called the "Crawl Brawl." It was supposed to be in meters, but it was switched to yards. God forbid we swim SCM ...

This is slightly ameliorated by the fact that there is now going to be a SCM meet at Wilson High School (site of the Fall Ball). Unfortunately for me, it appears to be a one day meet only the same weekend as NE Champs in Boston.

On a happy note, the IL TT chair corrected his TT submissions and included my LCM times in the 100 fly and 200 back. Mary Beth W. assured me they would appear in the final LCM rankings. Whew!

Off to dinner with friends ....
    Categories
    Running , Yoga
  6. P90X Plyos, Fri., Nov. 6

by , November 6th, 2009 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X:

Too busy to hit the pool or gym today, so I decided to do the P90X plyo DVD late this afternoon. It's 60 minutes, with about 15 for warm up and warm down. It's a pretty butt kicking intense workout. My thighs were definitely burning at parts, and I ignored the "now speed it up" instruction that came at several junctures. I can see where people say this is a fat shredding/calorie burning workout -- you're really working all the body's large muscles. I didn't feel the need for a heart rate monitor, which they recommended. My heart rate was up, but not super high. Next time, I'll probably try to do the individual plyos more intensely. I wouldn't recommend jumping into this workout without having done some plyos beforehand. Of course, you can do it in a modified/easier way. It felt l like an hour of squats! I am wondering how the legs will feel tomorrow ...

And I did not hit pause even once!

Here's what's in the workout:

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick
    2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run
    3) Jump knee tuck,* jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo
    4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march
    5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot
    6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)**

* This plyo is the hardest in the context of the workout. It's so hard to do them continuously. And jumping from a standstill is harder than squatting first.

* Out of pure stubbornness, I didn't do the catch and pitch. Seemed too irrelevant. So I did jumping jills during this part. But I liked the jump shot and football move.

An description of how to do each plyo is found here:

http://www.fitnessdestinations.com/p...2-plyometrics/

And other descriptions of the DVD:

http://workoutjourney.com/p90x-plyometrics

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...-2-of-12/20499

I don't have any other P90X DVDs. But my son said they did the Ab Ripper DVD at his dryland/weight training practice for crew. Even he admitted it's hard, so I'm assuming that's true as he's tough as nails. My brother, who has lost 20 pounds on the P90X program after being lazy with two toddlers for a few years, says the Core Synergistics one is pretty taxing and effective as well. I'm fairly sure there's nothing in either one that you couldn't do on your own.

Death of Squats:

Got this email from the company I bought my power wheel from. Can it be true, Q?

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 08:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  7. Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5

by , November 5th, 2009 at 08:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU w/Speedo & Jazz:

Warm up:

700 variety

1 x 25 medium fast back SDK + 25 EZ

Pre-Sprint Set:

6 x 25 dolphin free*

4 x 25 burst kick**

4 x 25 dolphin breast***

* Dolphin free is where you use a dolphin kick instead of a flutter kick in free. The kick occurs when the hand enters the water. You can have a single frequency or double frequency kick. The first 3-4 I was not doing a dolphin kick but using a combo body undulation + flutter kick. This felt pretty natural, and may not be too far off my sprint freestyle, which I'm been told has some dolphin action. It certainly felt like I had more DPS. Might not be a bad way to swim a 100 free b/c I can't keep up a fast windmill for a 100.

** Burst kick = push off, streamline w/SDKs, then burst into huge overkick with feet coming completely out of the water, cruise the last 10 yards free.

*** Dolphin breast = a drill where you do an evil pull with fins. We used the fins as a "grip," and didn't do a dolphin kick with them. This forces you to concentrate on and perfect your pull without having your hips drop.

Collectively, these three mini-sets made for a great pre-sprinting warm up.

Speed Work:

2 x (25 medium fast SDK on back + 25 EZ)

1 x 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ

1 x 100 cruiser back SDK

100 EZ

Drill set:

After Jazz & Speedo left, I did a short drill set.

4 x (3 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:00
    #1 = dolphin kick on side
    #2 = single arm fly drill
    #3 = 25 easy speed fly + 25 DAB

100 EZ

Total: 2150

10 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

This was a super fun practice. We spent a lot of time chatting about technique and training and drills, so also very informative. We didn't do a lot of speed work, which was good for me b/c my legs were still absolutely fried from yesterday's effort. It was more of a recovery workout actually. I had considered doing the P90X plyo video tonight, but I think it's better to wait until tomorrow. We did see the GMU college and masters coach briefly. I tried to assure him that Pete was putting in the yards, but he didn't seem to believe me ...

Videos:

We took a 6 videos. The quality isn't great, but they're still informative. Here they are:

Speedo & Jazz 25 AFAP free, 2x:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMXuyqGb9E"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6M79PXF0Fc"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

Wolfy is the expert, but the things I quickly notice are: (1) Jazz is entering thumb first, especially with his left hand. (I think he's doing this intentionally to quicken his catch, but it can hurt the shoulders), (2) Pete's head position is a little high; (3) Jazz has the edge on kicking.

Speedo & Fort 25 free AFAP
    (Battle of the Latent Loper and the Straight Arm/Windmiller)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1fKwoSkyU"]YouTube- Speedo & Fort 25 free[/ame]

My head position is way too high. I need to work more on correcting this. Part of this may be the dolphin action.

Fort SDK Shooter:

Garden variety demo shooter. Everyone should work on these in practice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57aH4FcSAg"]YouTube- Fort SDK Shooter[/ame]

Speedo's Start:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlPcy8e_iA"]YouTube- Speedo Start[/ame]

Think you need to keep your legs together on the start!

Fort Cruising 100 Back Shooter:

This is not a fast example; my legs were too cooked for that. This is a hypoxic 100 shooter. I came up at the flags after smashing my heels on the wall getting too close the first time. Jazz said I sounded like a whale with my big exhale and inhale at the third wall and that my hypoxic work was costing me brain cells. You can see how he gets the girls.

I'd like to film a very fast 100 w/MF from underwater sometime.

Oh, and I was surprised my feet/legs were apart more than I thought ... Looks like I took 12, 12, 13, 14 kicks (but then I didn't come up at the flags on the last 25).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11nRXpMswE"]YouTube- Cruiser 100 Back Shooter[/ame]

Food Blog:

Breakfast: smoothie with kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 scoop of whey protein, flax seed oil and coconut water

Snack on way to workout: balance bar and cliff shot blocks

Lunch: large salad w/lettuce, grilled chicken, tomates, peppers, parmesan cheese and flax
    seeds; fruit salad with kiwi, blackberries and blueberries

Dinner: homemade mac & cheese, steamed peas & carrots

Drank Pure Sport during and after workouts again.

Will have a snack later b/c I'm still hungry and don't have She Puffery's iron discipline. Plan on a glass of chard too, as my wine fast won't begin until Nov. 13. She Puff thinks this one will be tough. I'm slightly worried that I will have trouble falling asleep without my chard fix. It's almost become part of my bedtime routine. lol

She Puff also did my hypoxic kick set from yesterday and thought it was easy, proving that she is a kick ass kicker. I have to go look at the refinements she made to my set. She really should just stop protesting and become a backstroker ...

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 03:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Hard! Wed., Nov. 4

by , November 4th, 2009 at 10:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga:

Went to the 10:00 am hot yoga class. Didn't suffer quite as much and didn't need quite as much water as usual. Didn't even have to dump water on top of my head during the last 15 minutes.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Today, I used the structure of one of Ande's sprint workouts from awhile ago. (I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.) But instead of doing the 15 100s in the set as increasing fast freestyle, I did them as increasingly hard backstroke SDK without fins. This was to serve the dual purpose of implementing Quick's advice (treat the 100 back as 50 swim/50 kick) and Chris' advice to do longer quality hypoxic sets sans fins. This was NOT easy. It took some will power to get through it, but I think it was worthwhile. This CO2 tolerance set was definitely harder than my endurance kick set from Nov. 1.

Anyway, here's how it went:

Warm up:

Main set: Hypoxic Kick + Sprints:

5 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00 (no fins)
    SDKs = 12, 10, 10, 10 by 25

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :35

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 (no fins)
    SDKs = 13, 12, 12, 12 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds= fast evil
    evens = EZ

3 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 14, 13, 13, 13 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :40

2 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 15, 14, 14, 14 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds = fast free w/fins @ 90%
    evens = EZ

1 x 100 back
    SDKs = 16, 15, 15, 15 by 25s (no fins)

100 EZ

Total: 3300

10 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

I am dead after 3 hours of working out. The hypoxic kicking definitely took it out of me. I had some cramping issues on the last few hundreds, which surprised me as I hadn't had any calf cramps recently. Of course, I have pounded my legs the last few days, so it could be that. Or, I guess, it could be the yoga beforehand.

I'm hoping to work out with Speedo, Cage Fighter and Jazz tomorrow.

I tried out the Pure Sport workout and recovery drinks today. Banana-strawberry flavor. It didn't make me nauseous like the Hammer products, so that was quite excellent. The recovery drink I split in half and used half after yoga and half after swimming. The taste was just too strong to have in one dose. I hope that doesn't negate its effectiveness. I have another swim friend who really likes Pure Sport as well.

Comparison:

I notice that lovely Jimby prominently displayed my botched 50 back in LCM from 2008 Zones on FB. I slipped on the start and sunk in the water, going 33.4. So, for what it's worth you can compare my 2008 (33.4) and 2009 (31.99) 50 LCM backstrokes. You can see me drop an F bomb in 2008. B70s in both.

2008: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFortressa

2009: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QnCTP2n2w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance[/ame]

P90X:

I got my P90X plyo video in the mail. Am anxious to give it a whirl. But probably not tomorrow right before a sprint workout.

Food Blog:

I'm going to write down my food for the next weeks leading up to my SCM meet. As I recall from the last time I started this project, I used a pretty low carb approach for a month and then increased carbs for the couple weeks before SCY Zones. In retrospect, that seemed to work pretty well. This time, I'm not eliminating carbs. I think I really should focus more on portion size and skipping desserts, etc. For example, I ordered Thai food with a friend a couple days ago -- I ate way too much b/c it's so tasty.

Breakfast:

large smoothie with one banana, strawberries, frozen mixed berries, scoop of yogurt, flax seed oil, 1/2 scoop of whey protein

Lunch:

salmon, salad with tomatos & cucumbers, small box of junior mints (lol)

Snacks:

Pure Sport recovery drink after yoga and swimming and Pure Sport workout drink during swim.
    apples w/ peanut butter
    cheese & crackers

Dinner:

quesadilla with cheese, peppers, tomatoes & mushrooms
    balance bar in car

(Dinner was a bit of a disaster tonight as I was in the car driving to myriad things between 4-9 pm. I had to make separate dinners for everyone. And I still have to pack lunches. I'm sure I'll need another snack -- I'm still hungry.)

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:03 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  9. Core + Swim, Tuesday, Nov. 3

by , November 3rd, 2009 at 05:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Core/Dryland:

Played with my new power wheel today!

power wheel roll outs on knees, 1 x 25, 2 x 15
    power wheel roll outs from pike, 2 x 10*
    power wheel crawls, just a few forward and back, seemed somewhat hard on shoulders
    power wheel pikes, 1 x 15, 2 x 10**

3 x (25 long arm crunches + 25 bicycles + 25 dead bugs + 25 prone scapular scrunches + 25 butt kicker plyo)

jumping jills, 3 x 50
    snowboarders, 3 x 10

* The roll outs from a pike are much harder than from the knees and likely stress the shoulder more.

** I was showing off my power wheel to my son (who finally arose from the couch after a few days of piggy flu). He said (with bravado, though jokingly) "move over weak woman and let a real man show you how it's done." Then he promptly lost his balance on the pikes and couldn't do very many on his first try. lol. I think this exercise is the best one for the core from what I could tell. But I need to try the crawling some more.

Videos for the power wheel exercises and other bodyweight exercises can be found at: http://www.monkeybargym.com/exercise-videos.html. This site looks somewhat like Cross Fit without the weights.

Swim/SCY Solo:

Used a workout super evilstroke sprinter Jim Corbeau was kind enough to send me. I made minor modifications.

Warm up:

Sprint Set:

3 x through:

4 x 75 backstroke w/ 10 SDKs @ 70% @ 1:30
    4 x 50 stroke w/fins @ 90% @ 1:30
    1 x 100 EZ @ 1:30

I did the first set backstroke and held about 26.5-ish on the 50s.
    I did the second set evil b/c my legs were getting tired from the last few days of beating up on them and went 33s.
    I did the third set backstroke and held 25.5-26 ish, but missed the wall on the last 50

Vertical Kicking:

5 x vertical kicking, done as:

1:00 vertical kicking with hands at shoulders + 15 seconds with arms in streamline + 15 pullouts + 15 seconds rest

150 EZ

Total: 3000

150 EZ

When I made my internet purchases the other day, I also ordered a sample of PureSport workout and recovery drink to try it out. Just finished off my endurox. I also had ordered a new Finis Shooter monofin. I had the longer Trainer monofin, and really disliked it b/c it didn't seem to work the core and glutes as much -- instead putting strain on the lower back.

I went to vote today. Hubby is out of town and did not get an absentee ballot. So, for once, he didn't cancel out my vote.

HIIT:

This article suggests that HIIT, not low or moderate interval training, significantly reduces the risk of heart disease.

High-Intensity Interval Training to Maximize Cardiac Benefits of Exercise Training?
    Wisløff, Ulrik; Ellingsen, Øyvind; Kemi, Ole J.
    Abstract:

We hypothesized that high-intensity aerobic interval training results in a greater beneficial adaptation of the heart compared with that observed after low-to-moderate exercise intensity. This is supported by recent epidemiological, experimental, and clinical studies. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of myocardial adaptation to exercise training are discussed in this review.

Updated November 3rd, 2009 at 06:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Drylands + TTs, Mon., Nov. 2

by , November 2nd, 2009 at 09:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

With all the kids home today, I was lucky to eek out an hour at the gym. Forgot my gloves again. Damn. Legs are sore tonight.

10 minute warm up on bike

bicycles, 1 x 100
    broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    hanging knee tucks, 2 x 20
    side bends w/45 lb bar, 2 x 15
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    romanian crunches, 2 x 25

overhead squats w/45 lb bar, 1 x 15
    (felt a twinge in the right quad starting a second set -- probably from the plyos -- so stopped)
    kneeling cable crunch, 80 x 1 x 10, 85 x 2 x 10
    seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 8
    pec fly, 100 x 2 x 10

rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    triple box bunny hops, 1 x 15
    lateral box hops over bench w/hands on middle of bench, 3 x 25
    med ball start plyos w/2 6 lb med balls, 1 x 10
    twisting med ball slam, 3 x 15

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25

LCM Prelim Top Ten

Had a bit of a panic attack when I looked at the prelim TT list today and saw that my 200 back and 100 fly from USA meets were omitted. My times going AWOL has been a friggin epidemic this last year ... I sent emails to the ABM coach, the IL TT chair and Mary Beth Windrath. The TT recorder just screwed up (admittedly) and failed to submit them. He is submitting corrections. (I know it's a tough thankless job, but this would never have happened with Jeff Roddin in charge.) And I sent the results links to MBW. So hopefully, they will be included in the final results. Those are my two hardest LC events, for god's sake! And I was without my trusty B70 for the 200 back and debuting this event in front of the kids!

Here's a comparison of 2008 and 2009 times and rankings (assuming corrections are made):

2008:

50 back, 3rd, 33.44
    100 back, 3rd, 1:13.48
    50 fly, 4th, 31.13
    100 fly, 8th, 1:14.46
    50 free, 6th, 29.39

2009:

50 back, 1st, 31.99
    100 back, 4th, 1:14.62
    200 back, 8th, 2:47.34
    50 fly, 3rd, 29.74
    100 fly, 5th, 1:12.52
    50 free, 4th, 28.51

I was super thrilled to get my first individual AA ranking. I'm hopeful that time will hold up in the FINA rankings.

Also very happy on the LCM relay front! Our fast chicks' 200 free relay from Indy was AA. My my one and only relay with dearest Jimby -- 200-239 mixed 200 free relay-- was #2! And my 200-239 mixed 200 medley relay was 4th. My relay mates rock!

On the whole, I improved almost across the board. Straight up B70 comparisons, except for the Jaked in the 50 fly this year. (My other Jaked swims were slower than my B70 swims. I think the suit is cursed or a fake. lol) The only event that was a disappointment was my 100 back from Nats where I had the double calf cramps on the start. Still very very pleased! The drops in the 50s seem very significant to me.

Random thought:

It crossed my mind today that, if I change my training away from the heavier weights in Dec. as I planned, I won't have a good "apples to apples" basis for comparison of my times from this year (tech suit clad) to next year (practically nekked).

Updated November 2nd, 2009 at 10:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Sunday, Nov. 1

by , November 1st, 2009 at 05:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had a bit too much fun at my Halloween party last night. Did not even consider setting my alarm clock for the team practice this am. I think half the team was doing the postal 3K anyway. After administering copious amounts of caffeine, I dragged myself off to the Rec Center this afternoon. I wasn't inspired to do any speed work; I fancied some endurance kicking. Rather than do my/CS's kick mountain set, I did another little garden variety set.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Kick Endurance Set:

with fins, no rest between sets

4 x 300 @ 4:00
    5 x 200 @ 2:40
    6 x 100 @ 1:20

300s = backstroke kick w/6 SDK per 25, fartlek style
    200s = dolphin w/board/flutter w/board/backstroke kick/flutter kick w/board/dolphin kick w/board (held around 2:20ish)
    100s = backstroke kick w/8 SDK per 25. Tried to negative split these, but I was getting a bit tired so don't think I did on the last couple. Started out around 1:05, but was up to 1:10 on the last 2.

150 C/D

Total: 3550, 3000 kicking

Son definitely has swine flu. I anticipate it ripping through the whole family. Lucky for Mr. Fort he left early this am for a trial.

I think my legs will be a wee bit tired tonight.

Talked to a guy at the party last night who did P90X quite a bit last year and got very ripped. He said the plyo video is just a sh*tload of squats.

Updated November 1st, 2009 at 05:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Saturday, Oct. 31

by , October 31st, 2009 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After eating Halloween candy for lunch today, I decided I wasn't owed a day off. I would have preferred to go to hot yoga today, but I didn't have much time. So I went off for a 5 mile run, which was fantastic. Despite thrashing my legs yesterday, I felt more sprightly on the running trail than usual. Maybe the plyos help the running?

Now, having carved the pumpkins, I am off to transform my youngest into Spock and party with friends after our kids trick or treat.

I am slightly worried I am going to be strong armed into more open water swimming. Mr. Fort will likely have to have surgery on his bum hip after a ski trip in January. He and our Savageman partner were busy planning tri relays for post-surgery motivation at our kids' soccer game today. Is it really possible to swim 2.4 miles in an ocean?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Legs & Core, Friday, Oct. 30

by , October 30th, 2009 at 04:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent the morning working and waiting for a delivery. Then hit the gym for 2 hours to beat up the legs and core. My lower abs were still slightly sore from the romanian crunches I did the other day. Those are killer!

Drylands:

bicycles, 1 x 100
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15, 1 x 20
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    elevated knee-ins w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25
    Technogym total ab machine, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10, 120 x 1 x 10, 130 x 1 x 10

rack chins, 2 x 15
    overhead squats w/bar (the "Nicole"), 2 x 15
    (These are getting easier. I still need to get slightly deeper. Then I'll add 10 lb more weight.)

HS hi row, 140 x 2 x 10 fast
    bench press, 70 x 2 x 10 fast
    leg press, 290 x 1 x 10, 310 x 1 x 10 fast

box jumps, 2 x 10*
    squat jacks w/med ball and step, 2 x 20
    twisting med ball slam, 2 x 25**

3 position arm extensions, 3 x 1 x 15
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

* I believe this is the box I was jumping on today. I snapped a photo with my iphone too. Seems about the right height for me right now ... definitely not all that easy and takes a lot of effort. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den

I suck at these compared to Nicole! http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.wmv

** The med ball slam is at 3:25 of this core video. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7UgRqf86A&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Core Exercises that Really Work Pt. 3[/ame] The squat swing I've done in the past is also on this video, along with some other great (and very difficult) core exercises. The one leg balance move is actually one of the 26 bikram yoga positions.

Swim/Solo/SCM:

Warm up:

600 variety swim, kick, drill

8 x 25, twirling 4 point dolphin kick shooters (no fins)

50 EZ

1 x 100 SDK shooter w/fins, breathe only after flags before flip.

(OK, this was tough. The last length was tough. I was going to do a couple more of these, but my legs didn't feel like they had enough juice. And I could really feel the difference between 25 yards and 25 meters here.)

50 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

4 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy + 25 AFAP free + 25 easy)

50 EZ

Fat Burning Core-Aerobic Set:

6 x 150 dolphin kick w/ board & MF, 30 second RI

50 EZ

Total: 2400 meters
    1400 kicking

Commentary:

I wasn't really feeling up to an intense speed workout today. But I did get my mini set in. I've decided that if I need to/want to do some minimal aerobic work, I'll likely make it dolphin kicking. That has the triple benefit of aerobic conditioning, improving the dolphin kick and working the core. I really need to do some IM sets at some point as I'm swimming the 100 IM at Zones. But I tend to dislike these sets ... not sure why. I'll likely do more IM 50s while doing stroke work though.

My hamstrings/glutes feel like they're stronger/getting more of a workout lately. It must be the plyos. Also, hot yoga seems to work them with all those standing lock knee poses.

Now it's time for my next workout of the day -- pumpkin carving. Over the years, I've carved elaborate pumpkins for the kids. Right now, I'd just like to carve triangle eyes and call it a day ... lol I'm going to a Halloween party tomorrow night. Last year, the host broke out some amazing wines and champagne from his wine cellar. Then, on Nov. 1, I am planning on a 30 day wine fast. I guess I may need to extend it through my meet the weekend of dec 13-14. I need to think on this more.

Updated October 30th, 2009 at 05:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  14. Thursday, Oct. 29

by , October 29th, 2009 at 02:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

I woke up this morning feeling, as Allen predicted I would, absolutely flattened from yesterday's gym + lactate buffering set. Speedo had a possible call at noon, so we postponed our Thursday speed session. This was probably a good thing for me, as more anaerobic work was not what I needed today. Instead, I took my battered body off to hot yoga. Definitely a good decision! I feel much better and looser. "Refreshed" is still pushing it. The last 15 minutes of the class were, as usual, heat torture. And there was a woman b*tching about everything during the class. I wanted to smack her, just like Geek fantasizes about taking out twitter/iphone girl in his spin class.

No time for any other exercise today as I have full slate of kids' games and sporting events. Just as well, I'm sure, assuming "less is more." I'm hoping to get to the gym and/or pool tomorrow afternoon, but I'm stuck at home for a delivery, which better be timely! I like being a mostly SAHM on the whole; I just don't like to SAH. lol

I saw this article in the NY Times. The people I know who can best tolerate pain are Geek, CS and Mr. Fort.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/fa...=2&ref=fashion

In other news, I read that B70 was, in fact, developing a new suit. I was very glad to hear this, as I'm (understatement here) a B70 fan.

http://twitter.com/blueseventy/status/5242674279

I'm not sure which suit I'm going to wear at my next meet, as my B70 has a small hole and is approaching old age ...

Also found this article on upper body plyometrics, which I haven't really ventured into yet except for some clap pushups.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...lePlyometrics3

Box jump demo:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Variations.wmv

And My son just came home and announced he has swine flu.

Updated October 29th, 2009 at 08:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  15. Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2009 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Dryland:

Did mostly plyos and core today as my back was sore from yesterday's lifting efforts.

Weights/Plyos:

lying triceps extension w/30 lb BB, 30 x 3 x 15
    standing full twist w/35 lb plate, 3 x 25
    squat presses w/15 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    chin ups, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    squat jacks w/med ball on step, 3 x 15
    swing kicks, 2 x 25
    double airborne heisman, 2 x 1:00*

Core:

crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    prone jack knife on yoga ball, 1 x 15
    (don't like this one)
    crunch + hold legs and head in streamline above ground for 5 seconds, 2 x 10
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    romanian crunches, 3 x 25**

* DAH = http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

**We don't have the correct bench or device to do these the easy way. So I sat across a bench, put 2 25s lb plates on my feet and did them. Tried to get my head as low to the ground as it would go. These are a good core exercise, but I don't recommend them for anyone with a sketchy lower back. Here's a video of someone doing them this way: http://www.sixpackabsexercises.com/b...es-on-video/42. He's obviously a male weenie since he can't lean back very far.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick drill

Ugh, at this point, I felt like I needed another recovery workout. So I tried an aerobic kick set to attempt to shake the torpor off.

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    8 SDKs each 25

50 EZ

Allen Stark Speed Set:

Allen has mentioned doing fast 50s @ 1:00 to failure on the forum. I asked him about it and he said:

The Swimming Fastest book gave several options for lactic acid tolerance sets and that one seemed doable. (I do them as BR pull dolphin kick with fins so my body doesn't get too confused about bad form. The fins also decrease shoulder strain.) The idea is to build up the lactic acid buffer systems so that you don't slow down at the end of a 50 and especially a 100.

So I decided to do 10 attempting to hold a perceived 100 race pace effort. I went slightly slower than a real 100 pace, as I was so tired from the drylands and swimming in shallower water than normal. Ideally, I'd like to do this set a second faster. And, when I asked Allen later, he said he usually does 6-8 -- not 10 --and is tired the next day.

10 x 50 back w/fins @ 1:00
    went 27.5ish on all of them

100 EZ

Recovery set:

8 x 50 back/breast @ 1:00

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ) on interval whatevah

#1 = fast UW flutter kick shooter
    #2 = fast flutter kick in streamline
    #3 = fast free

100 EZ

Total: 3400

Commentary:

Feeling rather dead after the last two days. Only doing one workout tomorrow with Speedo and I hope I survive it! Then, drylands and hot yoga on Friday. Or at least that's the plan. There is a 4 day weekend coming off with the first quarter of school ending. I hate these!

Power Wheel:

I ordered a power wheel today. Not the ab roller, but the power wheel. So I have another toy to take to the gym. Toys Are Me.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....861_A_rnd_E_23

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  16. Drylands + Streamlining, Tues., Oct. 27

by , October 27th, 2009 at 05:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Weights:

leg extensions, 100 x 5 x 5
    leg press, 350 x 1 x 10, 370 x 1 x 10
    (can't remember if I did a 3rd set of these or not ...)
    bench press, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10
    rack chins, 4 x 15
    lying bicep curl on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 10
    overhead squats w/bar, 2 x 10
    (almost lost my balance trying to squat deeper on the second set)
    HS hi row, 180 x 3 x 8

Core:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    decline reverse crunches, 2 x 25

Plyos:

lunge + lunge + broad jump, 1 x 10
    box jumps (over box), 5 x 10
    football plyos (5 small jumps in running position, then leap and twirl 180 degrees), 3 x 5

RC:

external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm

It took me awhile to warm up in the gym today, but then I got in a groove. I was mesmerized for awhile by a tall guy doing seemingly effortless box jumps over a stack of boxes that looked about 3 feet high. Didn't feel quite up to doing a 5 x 5 workout right after a meet, so did a mish mash of reps.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Drove 15 minutes to another pool b/c the gym pool was closed. Fortunately, my son with the bum ankle was home to watch my youngest, as this made me late. Did a recovery/hypoxic/streamlining workout. I used fins b/c I was feeling super lazy and they are fabulous for practicing streamlining.

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    300 fly drills

Hypoxic Kicking:

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 2:00
    9 SDKs off each wall, which took me to about the 15 meter mark each length (a little past on the first 25)
    cruised these, went 1:03-1:06

50 EZ

4 x 150 backstroke kick @ 2:30
    9 SDKs off each wall

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on belly + 25 feet first scull

50 EZ

5 x 50 UW shooter on belly @ 1:15
    1 breath at turn

50 EZ

sat in hottub

Total: 3250

Still a little tired from the meet, but not as crushed as I sometimes am. Probably b/c it was a 1 day meet. Definitely wasn't ready for any AFAP work though. In fact, this was almost an LSD workout! I got a PM from a forumite doing some research on the value of LSD workouts, so I hope to hear his views soon.

HITS Training?

Does anyone know anything about HITS training? Is this just for bodybuilders?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training[/ame]

Another Possible SCM Meet:

The Sprint Classic meet director said there is some plan in the works to have a SCM meet in Dec. at Wilson High School. That's the very nice pool where they held the Fall Ball. Don't know if it will come to fruition, but it could be the same weekend as NE Champs. I wish there was some more advance notice ... I also wish, as Neill was pointing out elsewhere, that PV had more than one SCM meet per year ...

PX90 Plyos:

Out of curiosity, I bid on the PX90 plyo video on ebay. Here is a review of that particular vid:

P90X: PLYOMETRICS X

Tony Horton
    This is the workout that made me love P90X. I should explain up front that I did not buy the whole system---the push-up heavy strength work did not interest me, so I split an order with a fellow VFer and got cardio, core synergistics and all the cardio ones. Kenpo X was too choreographed, Core Synergistics was not my thing, and I was about to give up whehn I gave Plyo X a try.

What a great workout! I wore a heart rate monitor and was at maximum the entire time. It is such a great structure for a routine: you do each exercise for just 30 seconds except every fourth one, which is a minute. generally I can't stand high impact, but at 30 seconds at a time, even I could manage this.

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

Some of my favourite moves were the run stance squat (squat low and pump your arms like you are running hard), the swing kick (swing your leg over a chair, I have seen this move in some of Wendilee's workouts), the moves where you jump to switch directions, the gap jump (imagine you are jumping over a large gap) and the sports moves in the bonus round.

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 07:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. 50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2009 at 03:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
    Lane 4, Fort
    Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
    Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
    Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  18. Sprint Classic

by , October 25th, 2009 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Celebrated my 5th anniversary as a masters swimmer today at the GMU Sprint Classic. My first masters meet was Oct. 2005, a few months after being hobbled by running injuries.

I swam the 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly and the four 25s. Didn't have enough gas to swim the 50 free -- it was just too close to the 50 fly and I was still tired. Plus, I didn't want to be absolutely trashed for the very fun annual Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Here's how it went:

50 back: 1st place, 28.55

2005 time: 31.1

Turnover was good, but felt a bit choppy, much like the Fall Ball. My first breakout was not ideal; I was angled up to much instead of having my head back. I glided into the finish again a bit (though not quite as loco mcstupid as the prior meet). Not sure I should have taken another stroke. Wolfy noted that, based on my stroke count, I was in "no man's land" where either gliding in or smacking my arm on the wall was inevitable. Still, apart from CZ last April, this is my second fastest 50 back time ever -- the same time I swam fully tapered at Auburn last February.

50 evil, 3rd place(?), 34.82

Got absolutely owned on my gridges with Wolfy and Stud. Kudos to them! And an absolute failure to execute on my part. I went way too deep on the start. I had a good streamline, dolphin kick, pull down and kick up and, then, well, I was still 2 feet under water at the 15 meter mark ... Very comical. I thought I was floating up veeeerrrry slowly to the surface, but others detected some unintentional flutter kicking. However, despite everyone shouting "DQ" at what seemed like the top of their lungs after the race, I wasn't DQ'd. lol But I must admit that, after floating around in a streamline position for seemingly forever, I completely forgot everything Allen Stark ever said to me about evilstroke and swam old style evil. Still, I guess if you discount my little "error" the swim wouldn't be that far off the 34.1 I swam at CZ last April where I had a good start and turn.

50 fly: 1st place, 27.65

2005 time: 29.5

Pretty solid race. I felt like I was missing some zip, didn't have the best streamline entering the water, and glided just a tad into the turn and finish. Speedo filmed this race, so I'll see what it looks like on video. (I looked quickly on camera -- and it showed me peeking at the competition!) I went 27.5 last year at this meet, so this is virtually equivalent.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Now, for the BEST part of the meet. Last year, I went:

25 back, 13.96 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.95 (3rd)
    25 fly, 12.71 (3rd)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

This year, I went:

25 back, 13.74 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.69 (4th)
    25 fly, 12.61 (1st)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

I was a little worried about defending my Fastest Woman in the Pool title after scoring 0 points on the 25 evil (though I had a much better start). But I got really good starts on my last 2 25s, especially on my 25 fly where Wolfy said I had a great breakout. I barely held off Cheryl Ward and Jen O'Reilly in the 25 free -- they were closing fast. SwimmieAvsFan showed some real sprint today (including winning the 50 free)! I'm hoping my sprint victory makes Ahlee happy -- I'm getting older, but still faster.

The boys' 25s were fast and furious! One guy went 9.96 in the 25 free in a brief (though no one's brief was as brief as those sported by Muppet and SwimStud!) Typically, the clock doesn't start picking up times until 10 seconds, but fortunately Cheryl had re-set the clock to pick up times at 9. Wow!

I wish more meet directors would do 25s! It's great speed work, great work on starts and great fun. I was happily surprised that my times were slightly faster than last year. And I liked my prize -- goggles, cap and cool t-shirt from our first CZ meet at GMU. I still am wearing the GMU suit I won in 2007 as well.

Sat in the hottub chatting with Speedo, Wolfy, Cage Fighter, SwimStud and SwimShark.

Commentary:

I didn't feel completely "on" at the meet. In fact, Speedo and I both felt slightly flat. It could possibly be that a 3 day taper would have been better than a 5+ day taper. Also, I usually don't lift at all the week before a meet and this week I lifted 2x, although somewhat lightly. Who knows exactly how much these little things make a difference, if at all. But it was a very fun, very low key meet.

I feel pretty trashed now. Swimming at a meet is so much more exhausting than doing AFAP work at practice.

I chatted with Jeff Roddin at bit before scratching the 50 free. We agreed that it is very difficult to swim 4 50s + 4 25s at a meet at a high level on the type of AFAP workouts I am currently doing. To do that many events, we both thought some more conditioning was required. For this reason, I will likely not enter the 50 evil at NEChamps on Sat. and stick with no more than 3 events per day.

Wolfy encouraged me to continue yoga, asserting I would get more bang for my buck doing that as opposed to more lifting. I'm not sure about this, as I'm already pretty flexy. But it definitely loosens up my upper and mid back more than usual.

And ... my trusty B70 developed a small hole after the 50 back. It didn't get any bigger as the meet went on. But it seems to be ending it's life span. Of course, it's nothing like Wolfy's B70 ...

On that note, I'm not sure there is an "apples to apples" comparison of my times between this year's meet and last year's meet. The B70 I wore at last year's meet was much newer than this one. There's nothing quite as performance enhancing as a spanking new suit.

And, Jimby, your buddy Mark Cox is a real speedster! He swam great today.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  19. Friday, Oct. 23

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 07:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC Work:

Felt I had been shirking my RC work somewhat again, so I got a session in. My left lat/trap/terres are just a tad twingey.

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    scapular stretches, 2 x 5
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each way

20 minutes of stretching --- woohoo!

Swim/SCM/Solo:

I went to the hot gym pool b/c I wanted to sit in the steam room. Alas, it wasn't working.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Stroke Work:

10 x 25 UW 4 point shooters (2 kicks on belly, right side, back, left side, etc.)

To amuse myself, I tried to stay exactly on the lane line as I twirled around. I like this drill, and hadn't done it in awhile.

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy DAB

50 EZ

2 x (37.5 AFAP free w/fins, no breath + 112.5 cruise)

I tried these to see if I could fairly comfortably go 1 & 1/2 lengths with no breath. It was fairly easy. Of course, I was wearing fins. But then the pool was shallow SCM as well. I guess I'm inclined to try taking a breath in the 50 free halfway through the second length at the meet. Unless I forget, always possible. lol

No warm down: sat in hot tub for 15 minutes or so

Total: 1550 meters

Commentary:

I feel fairly good and semi-rested. I took a morning nap today after getting the kids off to school and can sleep in tomorrow since soccer is a PM event. Yipee! My body is reverting to teenager ways in my old age. I used to never be able to sleep in, but now I love it.

My neck feels better. I used an alternating ice & wet heat treatment last night and that helped. I will repeat tonight.

Unlike Speedo, I don't really have specific goal times for this meet. I would just like to swim fast and have error-free races. And, since this could be my last SCY tech suit clad meet, I'd like to post some solid times. If I can go around my seed times or a bit faster, I'd be pleased. Last year at this meet, I swam 100 fly (1:04), 50 fly (27.5) and 50 free (25.5). I remember being somewhat surprised by the 50 times last year, but then it was also my first yards meet in a B70.
  20. Thursday, Oct. 22

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 05:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    250 fly drills

6 x 25 SDK shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

1 x 50 AFAP SDK on back w/fins (went 27ish)

150 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP evil + 75 EZ)

no warm down, sat in hottub instead.

Total: 1550 meters

Commentary:

Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch last night. Woke up at 3:45 am with a creaky neck and sore left trap. Had trouble sleeping afterward b/c of the neck pain. I do this neck wrenching thing periodically ... Can't turn my neck much at the moment and my chiro is booked. I hope the pain & wrenching subside by Sunday. Any tips?

Because of the lack of sleep and neck pain, the swim didn't feel so great. My legs still feel tired. One day, as part of turning myself into a research lab, I'm going to do the Mike Heather taper and just stay in bed for a week. Of course, this may occur after my children are grown. lol

Sprint Classic:

The psych sheets are up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/2009_s...sych_sheet.htm

Really looking forward to the meet, which is always fast and fun. My former secret nemesis is swimming, but with some very slow seed times for her. I also detect some other sandbagging. I'm seeded first in the 50 fly/back/free. Because Petra Martin wants a day off from the pool from coaching, I have a chance to defend my Drop Dead Sprinter title from the last 2 years. But I appear to have some worthy adversaries, including my coach, some young Reston chicks, Lisa Rapuano, etc. My lazy coach, claiming lack of fitness, is only swimming the 25s. I scolded her for this.

I'm looking forward to the 50 back! All my best lady buddies are in my heat -- Julie-Mulie, Mollie-Jolie, Barb and Alison. Jules is very worried about swimming with us, but I tried to remind her that she did excellently at Savagman with no swim training!

As Speedo mentioned, there will definitely be some very exciting men's events, especially the 50 free, 50 back and 100 IM. It will be fun to watch Speedo and Clay race in the 200 free as well. Since Jimby is plagued with his lesion named Pincha, he is not competing. But in his place, he has sent Mark Cox from the Sewickley Masters. And he is rather speedy -- he may give Neill a race in the 50 evil!

Assuming my neck is ready, the rest of me is ready for my evilstroke gridges with Stud and Hulk.

Hopefully, we can all grab lunch after at our usual RH&B or somewhere else.

Today's Ramble:

1. Is it possible to get over an instinctive hatred of an event? I can't stand the 100 free ...

2. Is it possible that I have what Jimby refers to as "monofin arthritis"? My big toe knuckle has had chronic tendonitis since dropping the monofin on it and I'm worried it's morphed to arthritis. I notice it especially after running. I think I need new running shoe inserts ...

3. Will Geek respond to my counter-offer with another preposterous negotiating ploy?

4. I feel less flexible this week without yoga.

5. Here are Jazzy's thoughts on 50 free breathing:

"If you're going 24-25ish, two breaths sounds about right, and three might even be better. That's about how long it takes me to do 50m, and I wouldn't try that on a single breath. But, everybody is different. I think you want to be feeling fresh at the end of a 50. Extreme fatigue probably means you didn't breathe enough. Or you are way out of shape. With that guideline, you can figure it out with trial and error. But honestly it seems more of a 2 vs. 3 thing for you than 1 vs. 2.

I'm still undecided on breathing early versus late. Q tipped me off that C02 buildup may be the main problem, in which case late is better. Another advantage to late is that your first breath is always going to last longest. But, I still think there might be something to breathing early to prevent fatigue late. If pressed, I would say a single breath goes midway through the last 25."

6. I have perused the NE Champs results from last year. I don't think I will have to "game" much to avoid an outside lane in most events. (Patrick will be happy.) But I have no idea what time to enter for the 50 evil. I've only swum it once 2 years ago. I see I still have NE records in the 50/100 back from 2 years ago. Hopefully, I'll go faster this year! I seem to recall that I swam that 100 back on about 10 minutes rest. I almost scratched it, but Stud urged me to swim and I thanked him for it.

Updated October 22nd, 2009 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts