http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2009 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Dryland:

Did mostly plyos and core today as my back was sore from yesterday's lifting efforts.

Weights/Plyos:

lying triceps extension w/30 lb BB, 30 x 3 x 15
    standing full twist w/35 lb plate, 3 x 25
    squat presses w/15 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    chin ups, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    squat jacks w/med ball on step, 3 x 15
    swing kicks, 2 x 25
    double airborne heisman, 2 x 1:00*

Core:

crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    prone jack knife on yoga ball, 1 x 15
    (don't like this one)
    crunch + hold legs and head in streamline above ground for 5 seconds, 2 x 10
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    romanian crunches, 3 x 25**

* DAH = http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

**We don't have the correct bench or device to do these the easy way. So I sat across a bench, put 2 25s lb plates on my feet and did them. Tried to get my head as low to the ground as it would go. These are a good core exercise, but I don't recommend them for anyone with a sketchy lower back. Here's a video of someone doing them this way: http://www.sixpackabsexercises.com/b...es-on-video/42. He's obviously a male weenie since he can't lean back very far.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick drill

Ugh, at this point, I felt like I needed another recovery workout. So I tried an aerobic kick set to attempt to shake the torpor off.

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    8 SDKs each 25

50 EZ

Allen Stark Speed Set:

Allen has mentioned doing fast 50s @ 1:00 to failure on the forum. I asked him about it and he said:

The Swimming Fastest book gave several options for lactic acid tolerance sets and that one seemed doable. (I do them as BR pull dolphin kick with fins so my body doesn't get too confused about bad form. The fins also decrease shoulder strain.) The idea is to build up the lactic acid buffer systems so that you don't slow down at the end of a 50 and especially a 100.

So I decided to do 10 attempting to hold a perceived 100 race pace effort. I went slightly slower than a real 100 pace, as I was so tired from the drylands and swimming in shallower water than normal. Ideally, I'd like to do this set a second faster. And, when I asked Allen later, he said he usually does 6-8 -- not 10 --and is tired the next day.

10 x 50 back w/fins @ 1:00
    went 27.5ish on all of them

100 EZ

Recovery set:

8 x 50 back/breast @ 1:00

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ) on interval whatevah

#1 = fast UW flutter kick shooter
    #2 = fast flutter kick in streamline
    #3 = fast free

100 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Feeling rather dead after the last two days. Only doing one workout tomorrow with Speedo and I hope I survive it! Then, drylands and hot yoga on Friday. Or at least that's the plan. There is a 4 day weekend coming off with the first quarter of school ending. I hate these!

Power Wheel:

I ordered a power wheel today. Not the ab roller, but the power wheel. So I have another toy to take to the gym. Toys Are Me.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....861_A_rnd_E_23

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  2. Drylands + Streamlining, Tues., Oct. 27

by , October 27th, 2009 at 05:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Weights:

leg extensions, 100 x 5 x 5
    leg press, 350 x 1 x 10, 370 x 1 x 10
    (can't remember if I did a 3rd set of these or not ...)
    bench press, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10
    rack chins, 4 x 15
    lying bicep curl on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 10
    overhead squats w/bar, 2 x 10
    (almost lost my balance trying to squat deeper on the second set)
    HS hi row, 180 x 3 x 8

Core:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    decline reverse crunches, 2 x 25

Plyos:

lunge + lunge + broad jump, 1 x 10
    box jumps (over box), 5 x 10
    football plyos (5 small jumps in running position, then leap and twirl 180 degrees), 3 x 5

RC:

external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25

It took me awhile to warm up in the gym today, but then I got in a groove. I was mesmerized for awhile by a tall guy doing seemingly effortless box jumps over a stack of boxes that looked about 3 feet high. Didn't feel quite up to doing a 5 x 5 workout right after a meet, so did a mish mash of reps.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Drove 15 minutes to another pool b/c the gym pool was closed. Fortunately, my son with the bum ankle was home to watch my youngest, as this made me late. Did a recovery/hypoxic/streamlining workout. I used fins b/c I was feeling super lazy and they are fabulous for practicing streamlining.

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    300 fly drills

Hypoxic Kicking:

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 2:00
    9 SDKs off each wall, which took me to about the 15 meter mark each length (a little past on the first 25)
    cruised these, went 1:03-1:06

50 EZ

4 x 150 backstroke kick @ 2:30
    9 SDKs off each wall

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on belly + 25 feet first scull

50 EZ

5 x 50 UW shooter on belly @ 1:15
    1 breath at turn

50 EZ

sat in hottub

Total: 3250

Still a little tired from the meet, but not as crushed as I sometimes am. Probably b/c it was a 1 day meet. Definitely wasn't ready for any AFAP work though. In fact, this was almost an LSD workout! I got a PM from a forumite doing some research on the value of LSD workouts, so I hope to hear his views soon.

HITS Training?

Does anyone know anything about HITS training? Is this just for bodybuilders?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training[/ame]

Another Possible SCM Meet:

The Sprint Classic meet director said there is some plan in the works to have a SCM meet in Dec. at Wilson High School. That's the very nice pool where they held the Fall Ball. Don't know if it will come to fruition, but it could be the same weekend as NE Champs. I wish there was some more advance notice ... I also wish, as Neill was pointing out elsewhere, that PV had more than one SCM meet per year ...

PX90 Plyos:

Out of curiosity, I bid on the PX90 plyo video on ebay. Here is a review of that particular vid:

P90X: PLYOMETRICS X

Tony Horton
    This is the workout that made me love P90X. I should explain up front that I did not buy the whole system---the push-up heavy strength work did not interest me, so I split an order with a fellow VFer and got cardio, core synergistics and all the cardio ones. Kenpo X was too choreographed, Core Synergistics was not my thing, and I was about to give up whehn I gave Plyo X a try.

What a great workout! I wore a heart rate monitor and was at maximum the entire time. It is such a great structure for a routine: you do each exercise for just 30 seconds except every fourth one, which is a minute. generally I can't stand high impact, but at 30 seconds at a time, even I could manage this.

The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

Some of my favourite moves were the run stance squat (squat low and pump your arms like you are running hard), the swing kick (swing your leg over a chair, I have seen this move in some of Wendilee's workouts), the moves where you jump to switch directions, the gap jump (imagine you are jumping over a large gap) and the sports moves in the bonus round.

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 07:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. 50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2009 at 03:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
    Lane 4, Fort
    Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
    Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
    Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. Sprint Classic

by , October 25th, 2009 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Celebrated my 5th anniversary as a masters swimmer today at the GMU Sprint Classic. My first masters meet was Oct. 2005, a few months after being hobbled by running injuries.

I swam the 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly and the four 25s. Didn't have enough gas to swim the 50 free -- it was just too close to the 50 fly and I was still tired. Plus, I didn't want to be absolutely trashed for the very fun annual Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Here's how it went:

50 back: 1st place, 28.55

2005 time: 31.1

Turnover was good, but felt a bit choppy, much like the Fall Ball. My first breakout was not ideal; I was angled up to much instead of having my head back. I glided into the finish again a bit (though not quite as loco mcstupid as the prior meet). Not sure I should have taken another stroke. Wolfy noted that, based on my stroke count, I was in "no man's land" where either gliding in or smacking my arm on the wall was inevitable. Still, apart from CZ last April, this is my second fastest 50 back time ever -- the same time I swam fully tapered at Auburn last February.

50 evil, 3rd place(?), 34.82

Got absolutely owned on my gridges with Wolfy and Stud. Kudos to them! And an absolute failure to execute on my part. I went way too deep on the start. I had a good streamline, dolphin kick, pull down and kick up and, then, well, I was still 2 feet under water at the 15 meter mark ... Very comical. I thought I was floating up veeeerrrry slowly to the surface, but others detected some unintentional flutter kicking. However, despite everyone shouting "DQ" at what seemed like the top of their lungs after the race, I wasn't DQ'd. lol But I must admit that, after floating around in a streamline position for seemingly forever, I completely forgot everything Allen Stark ever said to me about evilstroke and swam old style evil. Still, I guess if you discount my little "error" the swim wouldn't be that far off the 34.1 I swam at CZ last April where I had a good start and turn.

50 fly: 1st place, 27.65

2005 time: 29.5

Pretty solid race. I felt like I was missing some zip, didn't have the best streamline entering the water, and glided just a tad into the turn and finish. Speedo filmed this race, so I'll see what it looks like on video. (I looked quickly on camera -- and it showed me peeking at the competition!) I went 27.5 last year at this meet, so this is virtually equivalent.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Now, for the BEST part of the meet. Last year, I went:

25 back, 13.96 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.95 (3rd)
    25 fly, 12.71 (3rd)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

This year, I went:

25 back, 13.74 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.69 (4th)
    25 fly, 12.61 (1st)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

I was a little worried about defending my Fastest Woman in the Pool title after scoring 0 points on the 25 evil (though I had a much better start). But I got really good starts on my last 2 25s, especially on my 25 fly where Wolfy said I had a great breakout. I barely held off Cheryl Ward and Jen O'Reilly in the 25 free -- they were closing fast. SwimmieAvsFan showed some real sprint today (including winning the 50 free)! I'm hoping my sprint victory makes Ahlee happy -- I'm getting older, but still faster.

The boys' 25s were fast and furious! One guy went 9.96 in the 25 free in a brief (though no one's brief was as brief as those sported by Muppet and SwimStud!) Typically, the clock doesn't start picking up times until 10 seconds, but fortunately Cheryl had re-set the clock to pick up times at 9. Wow!

I wish more meet directors would do 25s! It's great speed work, great work on starts and great fun. I was happily surprised that my times were slightly faster than last year. And I liked my prize -- goggles, cap and cool t-shirt from our first CZ meet at GMU. I still am wearing the GMU suit I won in 2007 as well.

Sat in the hottub chatting with Speedo, Wolfy, Cage Fighter, SwimStud and SwimShark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I didn't feel completely "on" at the meet. In fact, Speedo and I both felt slightly flat. It could possibly be that a 3 day taper would have been better than a 5+ day taper. Also, I usually don't lift at all the week before a meet and this week I lifted 2x, although somewhat lightly. Who knows exactly how much these little things make a difference, if at all. But it was a very fun, very low key meet.

I feel pretty trashed now. Swimming at a meet is so much more exhausting than doing AFAP work at practice.

I chatted with Jeff Roddin at bit before scratching the 50 free. We agreed that it is very difficult to swim 4 50s + 4 25s at a meet at a high level on the type of AFAP workouts I am currently doing. To do that many events, we both thought some more conditioning was required. For this reason, I will likely not enter the 50 evil at NEChamps on Sat. and stick with no more than 3 events per day.

Wolfy encouraged me to continue yoga, asserting I would get more bang for my buck doing that as opposed to more lifting. I'm not sure about this, as I'm already pretty flexy. But it definitely loosens up my upper and mid back more than usual.

And ... my trusty B70 developed a small hole after the 50 back. It didn't get any bigger as the meet went on. But it seems to be ending it's life span. Of course, it's nothing like Wolfy's B70 ...

On that note, I'm not sure there is an "apples to apples" comparison of my times between this year's meet and last year's meet. The B70 I wore at last year's meet was much newer than this one. There's nothing quite as performance enhancing as a spanking new suit.

And, Jimby, your buddy Mark Cox is a real speedster! He swam great today.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  5. Friday, Oct. 23

by , October 23rd, 2009 at 07:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC Work:

Felt I had been shirking my RC work somewhat again, so I got a session in. My left lat/trap/terres are just a tad twingey.

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    scapular stretches, 2 x 5
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15, each way
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25

20 minutes of stretching --- woohoo!

Swim/SCM/Solo:

I went to the hot gym pool b/c I wanted to sit in the steam room. Alas, it wasn't working.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Stroke Work:

10 x 25 UW 4 point shooters (2 kicks on belly, right side, back, left side, etc.)

To amuse myself, I tried to stay exactly on the lane line as I twirled around. I like this drill, and hadn't done it in awhile.

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy DAB

50 EZ

2 x (37.5 AFAP free w/fins, no breath + 112.5 cruise)

I tried these to see if I could fairly comfortably go 1 & 1/2 lengths with no breath. It was fairly easy. Of course, I was wearing fins. But then the pool was shallow SCM as well. I guess I'm inclined to try taking a breath in the 50 free halfway through the second length at the meet. Unless I forget, always possible. lol

No warm down: sat in hot tub for 15 minutes or so

Total: 1550 meters

Commentary:

I feel fairly good and semi-rested. I took a morning nap today after getting the kids off to school and can sleep in tomorrow since soccer is a PM event. Yipee! My body is reverting to teenager ways in my old age. I used to never be able to sleep in, but now I love it.

My neck feels better. I used an alternating ice & wet heat treatment last night and that helped. I will repeat tonight.

Unlike Speedo, I don't really have specific goal times for this meet. I would just like to swim fast and have error-free races. And, since this could be my last SCY tech suit clad meet, I'd like to post some solid times. If I can go around my seed times or a bit faster, I'd be pleased. Last year at this meet, I swam 100 fly (1:04), 50 fly (27.5) and 50 free (25.5). I remember being somewhat surprised by the 50 times last year, but then it was also my first yards meet in a B70.
  6. Thursday, Oct. 22

by , October 22nd, 2009 at 05:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    250 fly drills

6 x 25 SDK shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

1 x 50 AFAP SDK on back w/fins (went 27ish)

150 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP evil + 75 EZ)

no warm down, sat in hottub instead.

Total: 1550 meters

Commentary:

Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch last night. Woke up at 3:45 am with a creaky neck and sore left trap. Had trouble sleeping afterward b/c of the neck pain. I do this neck wrenching thing periodically ... Can't turn my neck much at the moment and my chiro is booked. I hope the pain & wrenching subside by Sunday. Any tips?

Because of the lack of sleep and neck pain, the swim didn't feel so great. My legs still feel tired. One day, as part of turning myself into a research lab, I'm going to do the Mike Heather taper and just stay in bed for a week. Of course, this may occur after my children are grown. lol

Sprint Classic:

The psych sheets are up:

http://www.patriotmasters.org/2009_s...sych_sheet.htm

Really looking forward to the meet, which is always fast and fun. My former secret nemesis is swimming, but with some very slow seed times for her. I also detect some other sandbagging. I'm seeded first in the 50 fly/back/free. Because Petra Martin wants a day off from the pool from coaching, I have a chance to defend my Drop Dead Sprinter title from the last 2 years. But I appear to have some worthy adversaries, including my coach, some young Reston chicks, Lisa Rapuano, etc. My lazy coach, claiming lack of fitness, is only swimming the 25s. I scolded her for this.

I'm looking forward to the 50 back! All my best lady buddies are in my heat -- Julie-Mulie, Mollie-Jolie, Barb and Alison. Jules is very worried about swimming with us, but I tried to remind her that she did excellently at Savagman with no swim training!

As Speedo mentioned, there will definitely be some very exciting men's events, especially the 50 free, 50 back and 100 IM. It will be fun to watch Speedo and Clay race in the 200 free as well. Since Jimby is plagued with his lesion named Pincha, he is not competing. But in his place, he has sent Mark Cox from the Sewickley Masters. And he is rather speedy -- he may give Neill a race in the 50 evil!

Assuming my neck is ready, the rest of me is ready for my evilstroke gridges with Stud and Hulk.

Hopefully, we can all grab lunch after at our usual RH&B or somewhere else.

Today's Ramble:

1. Is it possible to get over an instinctive hatred of an event? I can't stand the 100 free ...

2. Is it possible that I have what Jimby refers to as "monofin arthritis"? My big toe knuckle has had chronic tendonitis since dropping the monofin on it and I'm worried it's morphed to arthritis. I notice it especially after running. I think I need new running shoe inserts ...

3. Will Geek respond to my counter-offer with another preposterous negotiating ploy?

4. I feel less flexible this week without yoga.

5. Here are Jazzy's thoughts on 50 free breathing:

"If you're going 24-25ish, two breaths sounds about right, and three might even be better. That's about how long it takes me to do 50m, and I wouldn't try that on a single breath. But, everybody is different. I think you want to be feeling fresh at the end of a 50. Extreme fatigue probably means you didn't breathe enough. Or you are way out of shape. With that guideline, you can figure it out with trial and error. But honestly it seems more of a 2 vs. 3 thing for you than 1 vs. 2.

I'm still undecided on breathing early versus late. Q tipped me off that C02 buildup may be the main problem, in which case late is better. Another advantage to late is that your first breath is always going to last longest. But, I still think there might be something to breathing early to prevent fatigue late. If pressed, I would say a single breath goes midway through the last 25."

6. I have perused the NE Champs results from last year. I don't think I will have to "game" much to avoid an outside lane in most events. (Patrick will be happy.) But I have no idea what time to enter for the 50 evil. I've only swum it once 2 years ago. I see I still have NE records in the 50/100 back from 2 years ago. Hopefully, I'll go faster this year! I seem to recall that I swam that 100 back on about 10 minutes rest. I almost scratched it, but Stud urged me to swim and I thanked him for it.

Updated October 22nd, 2009 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wednesday, Oct. 21

by , October 21st, 2009 at 05:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands Lite:

long arm crunches, 1 x 50
    good morning darlings, 1 x 50
    straight leg lift + hip lift on bench, 2 x 15
    broomstick twists, 1 x 25

med ball start plyo, 1 x 10
    (For Patrick -- use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw balls against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it. The balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall.)

HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 10 fast
    bench press, 60 x 3 x 10 fast
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 20 fast

external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each arm

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Swam in my hot shallow gym pool. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as hot as usual b/c it had just been filled.

Warm up:

750 variety

Speed Work:

4 x (4 x 25)
    #1 = easy speed fly
    #2 = EZ
    #3 = AFAP (2 free, 2 evil)
    #4 = EZ

50 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ)
    #1 = backstroke (mid 27ish)
    #2 = evil (33ish)
    (had never done a timed evil with fins before. but if it's good enough for Allen Stark, it's good enough for me.

4 x 25 SDK shooter on back, cruised them

1 x 100 front scull

50 EZ

Total: 1850 meters

Rambling Thoughts:

Like Geek, I had a lot of thoughts rambling through my head today whilst swimming:

1. How long can a person who likes aerobic work stay on the CDVB plan without going crazy?

2. Should I stick to my weights/plyo+sprint+hot yoga plan through NE Champs? Or wimp out and go back to my tried and true weights+heavy on the sprint swimming + cardio?

3. It may have been really dunce like to adopt this plan in the fall when the running weather is at it's best. It was gorgeous here today, and I was inside.

4. Plyo anecdote: Mini Fort (who has only been swimming 1-2 x week max) says her legs feel stronger, she's actually been kicking and her practice times aren't too bad. (She didn't kick much for the last 2 years b/c of bad knees/tendonitis.) She attributes this to volleyball. I was thinking about this and, as an outside hitter, she does a fair amount of jumping, which = plyo. She also mentioned that one of her friends dropped her 100 evil time from 1:10 to 1:05 last year while playing club volleyball 2x a week instead of doing excessive swimming. Food for thought.

5. Mini Fort was checking out my biceps last night and said I was more "jacked" than some boys on the freshman football team. So, good news, this means I can now beat up high school kids. Awhile ago, I asked on my blog how much/often I could lift without becoming too buff. Jazz said "find out." I may have reached my limit, it seems.

6. I'm pondering whether to swim the 50 back at the Nov. Open the weekend of Nov. 7-8. The meet is in the afternoon and features 50s for all us 13 & Over folks.

7. Still pondering the 30 day abstinence period for alcohol. If Geek does it, I'll be shamed into doing it. But I think he's still pondering too.

8. I need to look at last year's results from the NE SCM meet to figure out my seed times. I usually do this in an effort to stay out of lanes 1 & 8, and this often backfires. I seem to end up in those lanes in champ meets where women swim separately b/c the speedy 25 year olds grab the middle lanes. But I will nonetheless undertake what is apparently a largely futile effort. Or, I can pull a Stud and just seed myself faster than my actual times. :-P

9. I stepped on the scale today for the first time since my checkup in July. (No scale in the house.) I've gained couple pounds. Don't know whether this is due to the sleep med combo I'm on (both known to have weight gain as a side effect) or to being stronger/more muscle. Or it could just be random variation -- e.g., weighing in the am vs. pm. I may have to go on a diet like Bobinator. Of course, cutting alcohol would probably do the trick. But, despite this, I have made progress in the ass department, and I think Q could bounce a quarter off it.

10. No #10. I feel no need to have a round number of thoughts.

11. Forgot one. I am thinking of ignoring Maglischio and only taking 1 breath in the 50 free on Sunday. I guess the best place would be after the flags off the turn?

Thrive Longer, Lift Weights:

Here's an article from the Washington Post that supports the fact that weight lifting is an affirmatively good thing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...01.html?sub=AR

I should have focused more on this issue while writing my little point-counterpoint with Jimby!

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 06:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  8. Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20

by , October 20th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did some hypoxic work on my 5 day rest plan:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Kick Work:

6 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00, 10 kicks each 25
    (since I came up a couple yards before the flags, this was almost like 4 consecutive shooters)

100 EZ

Speed work:

4 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins
    50 = 25 cruiser hypoxic kick + 25 AFAP shooter

100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

150 EZ

Total: 2050

Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage today. Was totally mashed and feel rather beat up and tired. Probably take 2 days to recover. lol

Commentary:

A 5 day "rest" is approximately what I did before the Albatross meet in March. I looked back and saw that I was doing around 2000+ with only fast 25s, a few fast 50s, hypoxic work and easy speed fly. So hopefully, I won't have leaden legs by Sunday.

SCM Meet:

Booked flight to Boston today. Weighed the pros and cons overnight. Chose Boston b/c: 50 back isn't the first event, better order of events, I can swim the 100 back, longer meet so more rest, 10:00 am start, the MIA Stud may go, and it's slightly cheaper. This is my third travel meet of the year, which is rather unusual for me (Auburn, Indy, Boston), but I really wanted to swim SCM. I think I'll be passing on a major SCY travel meet next year as a result to avoid undue marital discord. Plus, I may go somewhere fun and cool on Spring Break instead of planning life around spring meets! I may have to be creative in finding a SCY meet to taper for in the spring. There's always Zones, of course, and I definitely will swim that meet. But it could arrive shortly after not swimming for a week if I go away for spring break.

Plan on swimming the following line up at NE Champs, reserving the right to scratch of course.

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 evil
    50 back
    50 free

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 free
    (If I do 100 free, I may go for another 50 free split if my Saturday effort isn't the best.)

This is the exact same line up I swam at the NE Champs in 2007. I see they left 200 fly until almost the last event of the meet, but that still does not tempt me!

Jimby and I chatted about meets earlier today. He opined that it was perhaps merely "superstitious" that I would want actual rest between events to clear lactate and such. This is clearly mid-D speak!

Food:

Since I stopped blogging my food, I think I've gotten sloppier about eating. I still eat very healthy, but I think I've been eating more than I need to and too many slices of pie. I also had a conversation with She Puff the other day that caused me to wonder about calories from liquids. She mentioned she was dehydrated from the hot yoga. I suggested coconut water and she asked me how many calories it was. I didn't know. But I checked and it's 70. Between that, endurox, G2, and the smoothies I was addicted to all summer (and the chard), I may be swilling down too many drinkable calories. Have to ponder that.

I also may consider a 30 day ban on alcohol ala Q and Patrick before NE Champs. But this is rather extreme. lol

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 06:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  9. Which Meet? Monday, Oct. 19

by , October 19th, 2009 at 04:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did this on the Ande plan (M = 1900 + medium weights)

AM Drylands:

long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    bird dogs w/broomstick on back, 2 x 15
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    back extensions, 2 x 15

bench press, 80 x 2 x 10
    HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 12
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 20

10 minutes stretching

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Hypoxic set:

10 x 50, done as 25 shooter (no fins) + 25 EZ
    odds = on back
    evens = on tummy

50 EZ

Speed work:

2 x (50 AFAP back w/fins + 100 EZ)
    went high 24ish

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    2 free, 1 evil, 1 fast doggy paddle drill
    felt slow

100 EZ

Total: 1950

Commentary:

After taking two days off and getting lots of sleep, I woke up today and was groggy and sleepy and lazy. WTH?! It's now late afternoon and I still feel groggy. I think I probably should have gotten in an easy recovery swim yesterday instead of taking the whole day off. I hope I wake up sometime this week ...

Which SCM Meet?

Here are the two meets I can attend:

December 5-6: Colonies Zone SCM Championships at Flushing
    Meadows, NY
    http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...hampsEntry.pdf

December 11-13: New England Masters LMSC SCM Championships
    in Boston, MA http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09scmchamp.php

Originally, I was just planning on Zones in NY. But I'm so cross about the order of events and lumping together of sprints, that I am considering going to the NE meet. Pros of NE meet: slightly later start, bigger meet so more rest, women swim separately from men, slightly better order of events. Pros of NY meet: somewhat closer, pool may be faster, more folks I know will be there, then I could go to Mermaid's meet the next weekend. I'm going to compare costs next.

Underwater work:

Ande had alerted me to an interview with Ariana Kukors. As he noted in his SFF tips, she is a big proponent of underwater work as set forth here:

P: "For someone who has asthma you can kick pretty darn well at the end of a 200 IM."

A: "Lot's of training, lot's of training. During sets I work on kicking underwater all day long. I have a kick count that I do and we do a lot of underwater kick at practice. Just from the training I've taught myself how to be comfortable under there."

P: A kick count, what do you mean by that?

A: "I try to take at least 6 kicks, when I'm swimming warm up, when I'm swimming main sets, 6 kicks off everywall."

A: "Underwater sets, it's all in your head, whether or not you can make it."

Bird Dogs w/Broomstick:

I tried this today just for a little variety. It's not that easy. Here's the Auburn youtube clip where they do this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_MKU2EyCI"]YouTube - Auburn Weight Workout, Part 1 April 19, 2008 on Floswimming[/ame]

Updated October 19th, 2009 at 05:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Sunday, Oct. 18

by , October 18th, 2009 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    A whole weekend went by ... and I did nuthin'.

I had sort of planned to work out today in some minimal way. But I didn't get out of bed until really late and had to cart kids to the movies in light of the disgusting bone chilling rainy weather we've had lately. So I decided, using Speedo and Beth's examples, to give my body 2 days rest. I've been pretty tired from the high intensity training, so maybe it's a good thing.

I also had 2+ glasses of chard last night and apple pie and chocolate pie for lunch today. No dessert though. Stud thinks this may somehow weight me down for our 50 evil gridge ...

I'll go back to my good girl ways and the Ande plan tomorrow tomorrow.

Oh, I finally got the flu mist vaccine on Friday. Has anyone had the swine flu vaccine?

And in other news, Mr. Fort and my other Savageman relay mate are now plotting an Ironman relay and think the Wrightsville Beach Iron would be ideal. I love Wrightsville Beach and all, but, really, is there no limit to my obligation to be a good wife?!

Updated October 18th, 2009 at 06:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. More CDVB, Friday, Oct. 16

by , October 16th, 2009 at 04:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Gym:

core:

bicycles, 1 x 100
    broomstick twist, 2 x 50
    (I dunno, Q, this seems pretty worthless, though it's a nice stretch.)
    hanging straight leg raises, 3 x 15
    trunk twists on incline bench w/15 lb DB, 2 x 25
    overhead squats (the "Nicole"), 1 x 10 with broomstick, 3 x 15 w/45 lb bar.
    (It took a few reps to get my balance down, but then it was fine. Good core exercise.)

weights:

HS hi row, 140 x 3 x 8 (fast)
    tricep press, 44 x 3 x 10 (fast)
    alternating hammers, 17.5 x 2 x 20 (fast)

rack chins, 3 x 15
    (these are getting much easier, probably need to add weight)

plyos:

run stance squat jump/twist, 5 x 5*

= do 5 small squat jumps in place + 1 explosive twisting turn and jump of 180 degrees. liked it, it's definitely a keeper

leaping lunges switches, 2 x 10

leap frog squats. 2 x 5*

= 5 double leg squat leaps with wide legs)

med ball "starts," 2 x 15

= use 2 6 lb med balls. place fingers under ball in front. bend knees and get into position as if doing a grab start. then explosively push back with arms and hands and throw ball against back wall as hard and fast as possible. we have a 15 foot room adjacent to the weight room. I stood a couple feet or more in front of it and did this, and it seems to work. the balls flew in the air and bounced right before the wall. this is a keeper. Pete mentioned this exercise yesterday, and now I can't recall where he heard of it. Salo, Pete?

* = plyos from the P90X plyo vid that I found on youtube

RC:

I suck!
    I ran out of time and only did:

BTW, This is not the order I do all these exercises in, it's just how I blog them. I usually mix them up and superset everything.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

Hypoxic/Stroke Work:

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = cruiser backstroke kick
    evens = SDK shooter w/fins, 1 breath at turn

100 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ DAB
    breakouts were kinda crappy

100 EZ

Speed Work:

3 x 75, done as:
    25 AFAP free from mid pool + 50 EZ

125 EZ

4 x 50, done as:
    backstroke start power kick to 15 meters and cruise the rest
    14-15 SDKs to get to 15 meter mark. Probably means 13 in a race with my B70.

100 EZ

1 x 50 SDK on back AFAP (23.5ish, was tired)

200 EZ

Total: 3000

Rest Plan for Sprint Classic:

Ande and I were chatting about a rest plan for the Sprint Classic. I am going with a 5 day "rest" so I can swim pretty fast without losing too much training mojo. Plus, on the CDVB plan, one doesn't have to really "rest" too much as opposed to cutting out or cutting back on the cross-training.

Ande suggested this plan to adapt as needed:

try this schedule,
    also in swim practice do
    perfect form, hard PUSHOFFS, FAR GLIDEs, & GREAT STREAMLINES

STOP LEG WEIGHTS, REST YOUR LEGS

s 10/17 2000 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's

s 10/18 OFF or easy 1500

m 10/19 1900 4 fast 25's 2 fast 50's medium lift

t 10/20 1800 4 fast 25's 1 fast 50

w 10/21 1700 3 fast 25's 2 fast 50's light lift

t 10/22 1600 2 fast 25's 1 fast 50

f 10/23 1500 2 fast 25's

s 10/24 1200 easy 1 or 2 fast 25's

I like this plan. The only exception is that I plan to take tomorrow off (as usual) and swim on Sunday instead. I will likely go to my team workout that day, and just skip 1/3 of the workout or so, maybe do 2500. My "lift" will also include some core work. But I do plan on a full week rest for the legs. I've been working hard since the Fall Ball, so my body could probably use a light week anyway.
  12. Group Sprints @ GMU, Thursday, Oct. 15

by , October 15th, 2009 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU

As Pete noted, we had a hard core group today at GMU for our now virtually routine High Intensity Thursdays: Speedo, Jazzy, Cage Fighter and me. (Next Thursday, however, we're skipping and lounging around to prep for the Sprint Classic.) I really hope Jazzy can keep joining us, though it's a bit far from where he works.

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 EZ

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 75 @ 3:00, done as:

25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ

I did 4 free and 4 back SDK. Went high 10s and one low 11 on free and 10s on back. I attribute the low 11 on #3 (where Speedo and I had a rare tie :-P) to chatting with Jazzy too much and not being quite ready to go at the send off. So I was not such a slacker on the next one. I think Jazzy loafed all the 25s to prep for his 1 x 50.

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP free w/fins

I did free diving from the side. This is NOT a good idea with fins. I got no real push and had a terrible start. Should have just pushed off. Went low 24. Because it was so sub-par, I swam another 100 EZ and tried another 50 AFAP.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins

This time I missed the turn and almost hit my heels on the top of the wall, so just cruised the second 25.

200 EZ

Total: 2150

Hottub 15 min of non-stop Q & A ...

Commentary:

Felt somewhat tired before the sprint session today, and now I feel pretty dead. The combo of weights-plyo-sprinting-hot yoga is pretty tiring. The yoga seems great for flexibility, but I think it works the legs quite a bit too -- the first 45-60 minutes are all standing poses. Speedo and I discussed the flexibility issue briefly. He says there's a portion of Salo's book on this topic, so I need to read that.

I'm still mulling over exactly how much to rest for the Sprint Classic -- even though some clowns seem to think the CDVB plan is not amenable to a "taper." I could do a gradual 10 day taper (starting tomorrow) or a 5 or 3 day drop taper. I am only considering the 10 day because this could be my last yards meet in my magic suit. However, I would then have to repeat this rest for my Dec 6-7 Zones meet and re-start weights et al, and the prospect of two such tapers is, ugh, very unappealing. I will most likely do the 5 day taper and stop weights after tomorrow. I will be a puppet and not do a 7 day taper since Clydesdale says that's exactly the WRONG amount of time to rest, and I think he may be correct on this point.

I was grilled in the hottub and pool by Cage Fighter. Currently, he's a sprinter doing distance workouts and needs to revise his training plan to add more race pace work and kicking. He reminds me of me a few years ago when I really didn't know WTF I was doing in the pool with solo training. We encouraged him to get on the DF and look through the blogs. I told him to look for the sprinter blogs and Ande's blog (if he's not doing 60 x 100s) and use the Ask Ande thread or start his own thread. We thought Cage Fighter would make a lovely forum name. (He had apparently tried to browse the forums/blogs, but didn't realize we all had special user names.)

SCM Meets:

I'm probably not going to our very first local fall SCM meet. . This apparently unduly interferes with family Thanksgiving plans. I'm in the doghouse at the moment with my meet dates interfering with RL dates. If I have to skip that meet, I'll go to Zones for two days. (And then piss my kid off by missing most of the Dolan meet, though her best event is on Friday. But since she's totally out of swimming shape from her volleyball escapades, the mommy guilt will be minimized somewhat.)

Metro finally has the info for Zones up. As per usual, all my best events are back to back. I wonder if the rampant discrimination against fly-backers will ever end?! (Seriously, it's almost comical.) I'm very very glad I swam the 100 back and 100 fly at the Albatross Meet, as I can't do them at Zones. Still, I would've liked to get another crack at the 100 back at a champ meet. All the sprints are crammed together on day 1 and 2 as well. Here's the Order of Events:

Saturday AM:
    (distance events in the afternoon, lucky ducks!)

200 breast
    50 back
    100 fly
    100 free
    50 breast
    200 back
    100 IM

Sunday AM:

200 fly
    100 breast
    50 free
    200 IM
    100 back
    50 fly
    200 free

Based on this line up, I'll probably swim the 50 back, 50 breast, 100 IM, 50 free and 50 fly. I wish the 50 back wasn't the first event, as I usually need an event to get the cobwebs out. But c'est la vie.

Here's the psych sheet for the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet this weekend:

http://www.swimorlando.com/wp-conten...ych-sheet2.pdf

Shoulder Exercise:

Here's a shoulder exercise that Jazz posted. Just wanted to link it here as well, as it looks helpful.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...o-90-time.html

Updated October 15th, 2009 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Wed., Oct. 14

by , October 14th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Hot Yoga:

Made it to class #5. I seem a tad more flexible already. And I'm really glad my transverse colon is apparently getting a massage. lol. It still seems somewhat exhausting and harder to exercise afterward. I guess at some point it's supposed to shift from exhausting to refreshing ...

I also had a bit of an internal chuckle when the instructor said that we were "flushing out scar tissue." Getting a little carried away there!

I was wondering why Bikram studios must be carpeted and found this:

http://staffordstreethotyoga.com/bikramyoga.htm
    http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-choudhur.html

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Kicking Sets:

5 x (50 UW cruiser shooter w/fins + 15 pullouts) @ 1:15
    1 breath at the the turn

100 EZ

5 x vertical kick @ 1:15
    30 seconds with hands at side, 10 seconds in streamline, squat jump off bottom (12 ft deep), 20 seconds rest

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP shooter on back w/fins + 50 EZ)

75 EZ

Other Speed Work:

3 x 150, done as:

25 EZ speed power fly + 25 EZ DAB + 25 AFAP doggy paddle + 25 EZ DAB + 50 free EZ

100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/fins (25ish)

200 EZ

100 scull

Total: 2350 + VK-ing + 75 pullouts

My ass and hammies are a bit sore from the plyos, lunging, and squatting. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but they feel tighter/stronger with this new regimen. (And I'm sure my ass is probably getting bigger too. )

Found this site, which has loads of plyo info:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html

Hoping to swim with both Speedo and Jazzy at noon at GMU tomorrow!

My son just came home from cross country practice with an ankle sprain all taped up and iced. Could ruin the end of his cross country season for the second year in a row. Flexy ankles are so easy to sprain ... (Been there, done that.)

Meanwhile, Mr. Fort, who has been battling a hip injury forever, just had an MRI. He may have some labral tearing around his hip socket. His doctor said PRP was a possibility. I hope he doesn't need surgery b/c he would be just impossible to live with!

Injuries suck!!!

Updated October 14th, 2009 at 08:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  14. Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13

by , October 13th, 2009 at 03:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

My upper back was still sore from my Monday workout, so I decided to do mostly plyos, bodyweight work and some core work.

bicycles, 2 x 50
    cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    hanging reverse crunches w/10 lb weight at feet, 3 x 10

front lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    alternating side lunges, 3 x 25
    chins ups, 2 x 10
    rack chins/pulls, 3 x 15
    squats w/overhead shoulder press w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 10 (much harder when you're not pressing fast and using some momentum from the squat)

knee tuck jumps, 3 x 10
    box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 15
    clap push ups, 3 x 10

internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each side
    3 position arm extentsions, 3 x 2 x 15

10 minutes of stretching

Aerobic Work:

My usual pool was closed b/c of yet another kid accident. My gym pool is closed while they clean and put the bubble up. So, I did 20 minutes on the ellipse and 20 minutes on the bike.

Commentary:

We'll see how the shoulders hold out after the clap push ups. I put my hands on a mat to sort of cushion the load.

I really prefer rack chins to pull ups. They hurt my wrists less. Jazz and I were speculating that this is perhaps due to it being more of an isolation exercise with not as much of the lower body involved.

Q and I were discussing overhead squats on the thread from my Sunday workout. I'm thinking of adding them, as they are a compound exercise that really hits the core.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/08/...y-greg-gla.tpl

This article says you shouldn't start with the bar, but I was thinking I am sufficiently strong/flexible enough to try the bar?

Definitely hitting the pool tomorrow!

Saw the most recent clip of Natalie Coughlin on FB from Dancing with the Stars:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9atC0z1kc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Week 4 - Natalie Coughlin - Dancing With The Stars[/ame]

Like the mermaid-like costume! She looks in fantastic shape from all the running she's been doing.

I also saw that Brendan Hansen started a blog today:

http://puresportblog.com/

Updated October 13th, 2009 at 04:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Ellipse Machine
  15. Monday, Oct. 12

by , October 12th, 2009 at 11:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Made it to my 90 minute hot yoga class this am. I'm feeling even more pure with all those impurities sweated out. Whew! I didn't even have to cheat death like Geek did the other day. And, having expelled the dread impurities, I felt free to imbibe more and have just polished off a bottle of wine with one of my oldest and dearest friends.

My upper back today was pretty lit up from yesterday's weight extravaganza. Not sure what I'm going to get up to tomorrow afternoon. Next week, I'm going to mostly lay off the weights before the Sprint Classic (maybe only some light or explosive upper body stuff). Then back at it for a few weeks before, blech-sigh, tapering for Zones.
    Categories
    Yoga
  16. PRs & Plyos, Sunday, Oct. 11

by , October 11th, 2009 at 09:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Drylands:

Core:

elevated trunk twists on bench w/10 lb plate, 2 x 50
    dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 25
    long arm crunches, 3 x 50
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    Hanging straight leg raise, 2 x 15

Weights/Plyos:

deadlift, 125 x 1 x 5, 135 x 1 x 5, 145 x 2 x 5 (tried to do another set of 5, but my hands were slipping)
    HS hi row, 190 x 1 x 5, 200 x 4 x 5
    kneeling overhead cable crunch w/knees only on bosu (gets the lower body this way), 110 x 2 x 10
    squat into overhead shoulder press w/20 lb DBs (press is fast), 3 x 10
    rack chins, 3 x 15

multi-box jumps (used 3 boxes), 3 x 10
    squat jumps, 2 x 10

RC:

internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up

700 variety

Hypoxic Set:

20 x 25
    odds = UW belly shooters (no fins)
    evens = EZ

(I forced myself to do all belly shooters, as I realize I've fallen too much in love with shooters on my back.)

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

18 x 50, done as 3 x through:

4 x 50 cruise (4 free, 4 backstroke kick, 4 evil) @ 1:00-10
    30 seconds extra rest
    1 x 50 AFAP w/fins
    1 x 50 EZ DAB

On the AFAPs, I went 50 back (:24), 50 fly (24.5ish), 50 SDK (22.5ish). I think these are my fastest AFAP 50s in practice. Fly still feels choppy and like I'm forcing the turnover.

100 EZ

100 scull

3 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

At Wolfy's suggetsion, I did the 25s from mid-pool to practice fast turns.

200 EZ

Total: 2800

Commentary:

I realize I almost never do weights on Sunday AM after an off day on Saturday. Felt a little peppier in the weight room as a result. I did PRs on the HS hi row and on the deadlift. I hadn't done a deadlift in ages, so I was rather surprised. I don't know about DOMS ... after my 5 x 5 heavy lifting sessions, I'm sore almost right away!

When I told Mr. Fort I was switching to some 5 x 5 heavy weights 2x a week, he immediately said I would get more tank like. I hope that's not true if I'm not doing that many exercises that way ...

My 50s were practice PRs as well, as I recall. The legs felt strong. And to think I almost went for a run instead of swimming!

There is no school tomorrow (though still kid practices). But I've persuaded Mini-Fort to babysit in the AM so that I can go to hot yoga.

Meets:

Oct. 25 Sprint Classic (SCY)
    Nov. 28 Thanksgiving Meet (SCM)
    Dec 6-7 SCM Zones (may just go one day)
    Dec 13 Penthlon Meet in Pittsburgh

I wish an order of events for the middle two meets would come out ...

And I'm amazed! Thanks to the efforts of Mermaid , there is actually going to be a real live USMS sanctioned masters meet in Pittsburgh. Usually, there's just those dinky Y meets that Bill and Jimby are so fond of attending. I may go to this meet (though I'm sure I'll be tired and meeted out), as I want to support Mermaid and we need to be up in Pittsburgh periodically anyway.

Since I was up very late chasing around homecoming kids, I could barely rouse myself out of bed for the 5K/1 mile fun run at the high school. I ended up watching as Mr. Fort and lil lil Fort did the one mile run. Lil lil Fort ran a 7:34 and didn't even seem tired. So my no running until Dec. edict is still intact. I may have to treat myself to one little fall run after the Sprint Classic.

Updated October 11th, 2009 at 10:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Friday, Oct. 9

by , October 9th, 2009 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

I journeyed once again to the hot yoga studio at 10:00 am to be tortured by Insel. Insel apparently prefers his bikram yoga studio at 110+ degrees. It was at a comparatively balmy 105.8 degrees last Tuesday. That 5 degrees makes a huge difference! The last 20 minutes I just wanted to jump in an ice bath. I would have laid out serious cash for an icy drink; my water was hot by that time.

I've learned from yoga that I have weenie shin muscles. (This is apparent from plyos as well.) I am not nearly as flexy as the Sarah Jessica Park lookalike. I can't understand a word the instructors say in "yoga speak." There is definitely some aerobic work going on in there -- my heart is pounding when I'm barely doing anything. My back muscles, especially the mid back, feel nicely looser though!

Insel keeps telling me I "must" go more than 2x a week. I really don't see that happening ... I tried to explain that I had another obsession, but I got the glazed eye look when I mentioned masters swimming.

Drylands:

Core:

bicycles, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 1 x 25
    hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15

Plyos:

box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 1
    bunny hops, 2 x 10
    squat jumps w/10 lb plate (you raise plate over the head as you jump), 2 x 10

(I liked all 3 of these plyos. I tried the "dance move" plyo I posted a link to before (step back, twist w/plate and jump -- too damn complicated, blech.)

Explosive weights+:

leg press, 290 x 2 x 10
    bench press, 60 x 2 x 10
    narrow grip seated row, 80 x 2 x 10
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    shoulder shrugs, 15 x 2 x 15, forward & back

RC:

internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

Commentary:

I still prefer doing weights before yoga (like I did Tuesday) than yoga before weights. I may have to pick a different day.

Looking forward to an off day tomorrow and a bit of a lie in. Nothing scheduled until soccer at 11:00 am tomorrow. Well, and then there's the homecoming festivities. My son is at a cross country Invitational, so he's missing out. But outfitting a teenage girl seems to be an expensive and time consuming proposition ...

Week tally (6 days):

4 x swim
    3 x gym
    2 x yoga

Updated October 9th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  18. More Sprints, Thursday, Oct. 8

by , October 8th, 2009 at 04:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU w/Speedo:

Got there a bit late -- parking is a bear at GMU during the weekday!

Warm up:

600 swim-kick

Shooter Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:15, done as
    25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 easy DAB

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x 50 on 2:00, done as:
    25 AFAP free w/fins + 25 EZ DAB
    (went high 10s, low 11s)
    50 EZ after #4

250 EZ

Pete left to go back to work, and I carried on doing some more speed work since I had an easy recovery workout yesterday.

3 x (100 + 50 EZ)
    100 = 25 AFAP doggy paddle drill (forearm burn!) + 25 EZ DAB + 15 fast pullouts at wall + 15 m UW power kick on back + 35 EZ

150 EZ

1 x 50 SDK on back w/fins (went 23, cramped)

150 EZ

10 x vertical dolphin kicking @ 1:00, done as:

20 seconds w/hands at shoulders + 10 seconds in streamline + squat jump off bottom of pool (which was 10 ft. deep) + 20 seconds treading water. Tried to concentrate on kicking efficiently both ways.

200 EZ

Total: 2850 + VK-ing

Commentary:

Pete and I agreed that doing the 25s @ 2:00 was probably not quite enough rest to truly go AFAP. He noted, and I agreed, that some of the 25s felt like the second 25 of a 50. Interestingly, our fastest 50 of the set of 8 was #5, after we had done a 50 EZ.

Planning on hot yoga and a gym session tomorrow.

GMU is closed over the weekend, so I won't have my Sunday team practice to go to. Instead, Mr. Fort and I are going to do a 1 mile fun run with our 9 year old at my son's high school on Sunday to support his cross country team. (Though he won't even be there -- he's in NY for a cross country meet.)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Dryland + Recovery Swim, Wed., Oct. 7

by , October 7th, 2009 at 04:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

The back/shoulders were feeling a *little* sore from the weights yesterday. So I decided to stick to plyos and core work.

bicycles, 2 x 50
    dead bugs, 2 x 25
    good morning darlings, 2 x 50
    crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 50
    straight leg raises in captain's chair, 3 x 15
    (these are vastly easier than when done from a hanging position)

jump tucks, 5 x 5
    split squat jumps, 2 x 10
    (jump to right leg, jump to left leg, jump to land on both legs)
    double leg bunny jump, 2 x 10

(I did these plyos with low rep, but max intensity.)

hip hinges w/12.5 DBs, 2 x 10 each leg
    (I am so much better balancing on my left leg ... noticed that in yoga too.)
    single arm push on double cable FM machine, 30 x 2 x 10, each arm
    (for some reason, the weight on the double cable FM motion machine seems much "heavier" than on the other two single cable machines)
    prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Had a recovery/drilly type swim:

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic set:

20 x 50 UW SDK w/fins @ 1:05 (1 breath at turn)
    odds = back
    evens = belly

100 scull after #10 and #20

Fly drill set:

8 x 75, done as:
    25 easy speed fly working on streamline and breakouts + 25 easy DAB + 25 chest press fly drill

100 EZ

Total: 2700

Hot tub, 10 minutes

As I was sitting in the hot tub, a kid had an accident in the pool and it was closed down. I went to the pool a bit earlier than usual today, so I lucked out and didn't have my workout interrupted.

Sprint Classic:

I sent in my entries for the Sprint Classic today, and am "negotiating" attendance.

50 back, 28.7
    50 breast, 35.9*
    50 fly, 27.5
    50 free, 25.9

All 4 25s, times about what I did last year.

* Hulk will say I'm sandbagging, but I still don't really believe I went a 34.1 tapered last year. That swim is therefore in the fluke category until I do it again.

My transfer of affiliation will be effective then, so I am back to swimming for GMU.

Other plyos/plyo info:

double leg power hop with stepback lunge twist: http://www.realjock.com/article/757/

box jack, http://fliiby.com/file/396630/lxbvinp6on.html

scissor lunge, http://fliiby.com/file/411979/vxl2lso4hy.html

http://www.man-health-fitness-soluti...exercises.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=8k-...imming&f=false

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafMNBb.html

Here's a good pic of a rack chin or rack pull up. I really like these. I haven't attempted to do them with a barbell though.

Updated October 7th, 2009 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rackpullup.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	6309  
  20. Gym + Yoga, Tuesday, Oct. 6

by , October 6th, 2009 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    (love these!)
    burpees with push up and air squat, 2 x 10 (These are exhausting!)

squats on FM machine (had to play around with weight), 190 x 1 x 5, 210 x 1 x 5, 230 x 1 x 5, 250 x 1 x 5, 270 x 1 x 5
    bicep curl w/BB, 50 x 5 x 5
    standing lat pulldown, 150 x 5 x 5
    leg extensions, 110 x 1 x 5, 120 x 3 x 5

Hot Yoga:

Day #2 of the hot yoga experiment. Wow, it was much easier today and I tolerated the heat much better. I didn't have the urge to sprint out of the room after 60 minutes or the uncomfortable feeling that my face might blow up. I also went through 3 bottles of water.

I definitely like the heat for stretching. And the hot yoga poses don't unduly put pressure on the shoulders, which is nice (and unlike other forms of yoga). But I'm still rather klutzy in terms of balance. I think it takes awhile to acquires this skill.

One odd thing I noticed today is that, after weights, it is somewhat difficult to constantly be holding your arms over your head in streamline position. However, this is the one thing I can do better than the yoginis. lol

More yoga-kinis than ever today. And some dude did 2 back to back classes ...

I still wish it wasn't such a time drain.

Did a quick search about calorie burning and found these links:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-austral...s-and-yoga.htm

Hard to believe it's comparable to jogging in terms of calories burned. Of course, jogging is not running either ...

Here are a list of the reported/supposed benefits:

Some of the benefits of Bikram Yoga:

Works every organ, gland, nerve, tendon, ligament and muscle in the whole body every Bikram Yoga session
    Expands your capacity to breathe deeply and fully
    Prevents injury and may prevent or improve chronic illness
    Promotes better sleep, you may even need to sleep less
    Fabulous body toning effects
    Weight loss or gain depending on your body's needs
    Improvement in posture and body awareness
    Improve the healing and regenerative powers of your body
    Improvement in T-cell function and your immune system
    Improvement in your lymphatic system
    Lengthening and strengthening of muscles
    Increased flexibility
    Improvement in peripheral circulation
    Improvement in metabolism / digestion
    Gives the body a cardiovascular workout without negative impacting forces
    Nervous system is exercised
    Endocrine and exocrine glands are massaged and stimulated to better function
    Muscular and skeletal network are enhanced
    Weight bearing exercise will help prevent osteoporosis
    Improves heart and lung function
    Improves back conditions of pain and misalignment
    Improves flexibility of your spine in its range of motion in all directions allowing the improvement in function of your central nervous system. Better nervous system communication means a better functioning body and mind
    Helps cultivate a sense of well being and a more peaceful mind
    Integration of both sides of the brain to improve memory, learning, body coordination and balance
    Builds mental strength and teaches you to hold your mind in a focused and meditative state

Freestyle/GoSwim:

Saw this on Glenn's FB page:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2YyCwp...up-catch.html/

I know my own head is certainly elevated some, though I recall ehoch saying there is absolutely nothing good about this type of head position.

Hoping to go to the gym and pool tomorrow, though I have a couple other obligations. We'll see how fast I can move ...

Mini Fort got her third game ball in volleyball last night. I fear her serious swimming days may be numbered ... she thinks volleyball is just "more fun." My littlest one, on the other hand, continues to be enamored with swimming. And it is fairly comical to watch her attempt to learn flip turns.

Updated October 6th, 2009 at 05:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga