http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. D, for Me, Sunday. Aug. 23

by , August 23rd, 2009 at 10:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it the YMCA before it closes for the rest of the week. Not a bad pool. Very shallow, especially at one end, but a cool temperature. I went in the early to mid afternoon to avoid it being closed due to late afternoon thunderstorms. The storms never came, so I was happily able to sit on the beach for a couple hours after my workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Usual 700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

16 x 200 w/fins, done with descending intervals as:

4 x 200 free @ 3:00
    4 x 200 backstroke kick @ 2:50
    4 x 200 free @ 2:40
    4 x 200 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (had 7-8 seconds rest on these)

No extra rest between. It wasn't as terrible and dull as I feared. It's nice to combine the mid-D with some early season kicking. I'm big fan of kicking a lot in early season. Not 2 days like Wolfy has managed, , but maybe a couple months of it.

100 EZ

5 x 50 breast pull @ 1:00

5 x 50 dolphin kick on back @ :50

100 EZ

Total: 4600

Did my RC exercises even! I may swim in the ocean tomorrow if it's not as rough rather than driving to the YWCA (which apparently is open next week -- it will be mobbed with tris I'm sure). They rescued 25-30 people at Wrightsville Beach yesterday because of the rough currents.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. No H2O, Sat. Aug 22

by , August 22nd, 2009 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Took a rest day yesterday to drive to the beach.

Wanted to swim today. No go. Couldn't swim in the ocean. It was too rough, and they closed the beach for awhile. There were jet skis circling for a long while -- I hope it wasn't a drowning.

Tried to go swim at the Wilmington YMCA. Drove there and thunderstorm started. Even though it is an indoor pool, they closed it, so I was out of luck. The Y is closed starting Monday for the rest of the week.

Thought about going on a run. But after sitting on the beach all day, running is TOO hard. I have no running legs. I'm sort of worried they're gone for good.

I'm going to investigate other places to swim around here if the ocean stays like this. I think it is supposed to be calmer later in the week. Really hoping this week isn't going to be a workout disaster, since I already took one week off.

Surfing would be good core work -- but I haven't surfed in many years.

Updated August 22nd, 2009 at 07:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Team Practice, Thursday, Aug. 20

by , August 20th, 2009 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove out to Mason with my little one in tow.

Swim/SCY/Team:

Warm up:

500 swim
    2 x 150 kick
    300 pull
    2 x 75 drill
    2 x 75 ? (I did shooters)

400 IM kick
    75 kick/25 swim

Sprint/lactate set:

I was somewhat flabbergasted to see this set at the start of a SCY season after the pool had been closed for two weeks! I thought I'd be lounging around doing aerobic work ...

24 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 EZ, 1 AFAP (every other AFAP from a dive, extra 30 seconds rest on dive ones)

I did all the fast ones backstroke with fins. Went 6 24s and 2 25s.

100 EZ

Pull set:

2 x 250 pull w/some breathing pattern
    I did backstroke kick at a pretty quick pace instead.

200 EZ

Total: 3750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vacation:

I'm leaving for the beach in NC for a week tomorrow. I plan to swim in the ocean some. I may look for a wet suit when I'm down there. There's also a Y close by that I swam at last year. My only concern is the weights. I think there was a really subpar weight room at the Y. My hammies are still slightly sore from the squats the other day.

Fall Meet Plan:

I have a tentative meet plan for the fall:

1. Sept. 26 DCAC's Fall Ball

(I may swim the 100 and 200 back at this meet. There are no 50s except for the 50 free and I'll sort of be in aerobic mode. Well, for me.)

2. Oct. 27 Sprint Classic at GMU

(unless Mr. Fort runs the MCM)
    (Looked at the order of events. Not sure whether to start with 50 back or 100 fly. Last year, I opted for the 100 fly.)

3. Nov., Thanksgiving SCM Meet at Freedom Center

4. Dec, SCM Zones at Flushing Meadow Queens, NY

(This is the pool I almost swam at last May before my meet entries were lost. Not sure exactly when the meet is yet, but I know a bid has been placed. I may only swim one day at this meet, depending on life. I hope it's not the first weekend of Dec. immediately after the Thanksgiving meet here.)

Updated August 20th, 2009 at 10:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wed., Aug. 19

by , August 19th, 2009 at 09:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    45 minute spin:

Only had time for a 45 minute spin on my indoor cycle today. I had planned a run, but my usual desire to run seems somehow to have deserted me. It's just too hot and my allergies are acting up.

Spent a bit of time writing a very brief piece on the benefits of weight lifting for a new USMS Swimmer feature called "Both Sides of the Lane Line." I'm now waiting to see if my worthy (he would say superior) opponent in this endeavor will, as usual, put lipstick on a pig.

Updated August 19th, 2009 at 09:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
  5. Gym + Team Practice, Tuesday, Aug. 18

by , August 18th, 2009 at 09:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it back to the gym today. Took it pretty easy and started at relatively light weight. Had a 15 minute chat break in the middle, which halted possible obsessive over exertion.

Weights/Dryland:

standing lat pulldowns, 100 x 3 x 12
    seated narrow grip row, 70 x 3 x 12
    goblet squats, 30 x 3 x 15
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 30
    rear delt flys, 12.5 x 2 x 12
    elevated crunches, 3 x 25
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

No stretching. My bad, haven't stretched since before Nationals ... Someone at Nationals asked me how I maintain flexibility with as little stretching as I do. I guess I'm pretty naturally flexible, but I could certainly improve/make some inroads in this area.

Swim/SCY/Team:

Journeyed to Mason tonight. Was somewhat bummed to see the pool back to SCY. The practice was very lightly attended -- I suspect many are on vacation.

Warm up:

300 swim/300 kick/300 pull (I drilled the 300 pull)
    200 swim/200 IM drill (I missed one 200 b/c of chatting)

2 x (50 dolphin kick on back + 25 shooter + 25 scull)

Main sets:

10 x 75 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    #1 = first 25 fast
    #2 = second 25 fast
    #3 = third 25 fast
    #4 = fast
    #5 = easy

(I think I was the only one following the prescribed "fast" portions. lol. Bunch of lazy kickers!)

50 EZ

4 x 150 free @ 2:05 @ 85%
    4 x 100 @ 1:50, 75 stroke + 25 free, descend
    50 EZ
    4 x 75 @ 85% @ 1:05
    4 x 50 stroke @ 1:00, descend

I was racin' on the first set. Took off like a bat out of hell on the first 150 ... not sure about that thought process ... Didn't back down and felt like puking at the end of the 4 x 150. The next 4 x 100 was a bit of an epic fail, and ended up being pure recovery swimming. Then I was back at it on the 75s. I managed to descend the last set decently, as written, with an extremely slow first 50.

200 EZ

Total: 3850

Chatted with Wally in the hottub after practice. As an experiment, he gave up weights for 3 months over the summer in favor of more pool time. He was not impressed with the results, and is headed back to the gym.

Drank a fully loaded Gatorade during practice tonight. This doesn't seem to agree with me. I think I need to restrict my Gatorade or G2 intake to after practice or else dilute it.
  6. Aerobic Work, Monday, Aug. 17

by , August 17th, 2009 at 05:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I woke up today and absolutely nothing hurt, ached, twinged, or was sore. What a bizarre feeling! So I set about remedying that state of affairs. Didn't feel that my aerobic conditioning had completely deserted me in the pool. I'm sure hitting the gym tomorrow will feel worse.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

10 x 200 @ 2:45 (Yes, that's right. lol)
    100 free/100 backstroke kick

50 EZ

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ 45
    #1-10 = backstroke kick, SDK to 15 meter mark each length
    1:00 rest
    #11-20 = flutter kick w/board

50 EZ

10 x 50

#1-5 = Br pull @ 1:00 working on wider scull, felt slow
    #6-10 = single arm fly drill @ :50

200 EZ

Total: 4500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just planning some aerobic work for the next few weeks. If anyone has any good suggestions about sets to prep for my OW swim in Sept., I'm all ears. I plan on doing plenty of kicking the next couple months as well.

I need to plan a meet schedule for this fall. I will likely swim at the Fall Ball hosted by DCAC on Sept. 26. (The next day is the swim wedding of the century! ) I'm a little bummed I can't defend my sprint title at the Sprint Classic in October, but I believe that's the same day as the Marine Corp Marathon. We'll see if Mr. Fort ends up doing that. He made it through the Savageman bike course yesterday and up all the brutal hills.

I've attached a few photos that a friend of Jim's took during my 50 back race. I look pretty muscle-y in the backstroke start shot. And I couldn't resist -- I got a shot of my little one upside down in the air at Kennywood. Love that shot.

Updated August 17th, 2009 at 06:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3822010576_bd65be8ac7.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	6283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3821205139_5159318d5d.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	6284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3821203411_07a11daef7.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	6285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3822009920_3c63caed5c.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	6286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n603946434_2162969_5322076.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	6287  

7. 50 back vid + Still a Slacker! Aug. 16

by , August 16th, 2009 at 07:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Finishing off my week of being a slacker.

I did walk several miles around the Kennywood Amusement Park in Pittsburgh yesterday with family and friends. In 100 degree heat, no less. Love the Phantom's Revenge!!!

Today, I just drove home from Pittsburgh with my kids and a friend. I let my two Savageman relay partners take a detour to Deep Creek without me to bike and run on the murderous course. Not a twinge of guilt!

I think I'll exercise tomorrow ... though I won't make like Sprinticus for awhile.

Here's my 50 back video from Nationals filmed by Jimby. Haven't seen the one Hulk filmed yet. It's pretty much like I remembered it -- conservative on the start, good breakout, and running out of gas about 5 meters before the flags. (Ande says I must learn how to split 50s appropriately! lol) Still, so happy to break 32!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QnCTP2n2w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance[/ame]
  8. Friday, Aug. 14

by , August 15th, 2009 at 10:06 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam the 1 hour Friday practice with the Sewickley Masters, coached by Bill White. My first venture into exercise after 4 days of rest. I'm not sure I've had 4 days of rest since ... well ... possibly since my last child came along. lol

Anyway, we did a sprint practice. No easy aerobic work to ease back in! Though Jimby seemed to treat the workout this way. Got to see my pal, Mermaid, which is always a huge delight! We all had dinner afterward.

Warm up:

Swam about 300 OMO

400 free

8 x 50 @ :50 IM order

200 kick

4 x 50 kick @ 1:10 IM order

50 EZ

Main sets:

4 x 100 @ 2:00
    I did 2 free and 2 backstroke kick

50 EZ

4 x 100 @ 3:00
    50 fast/50 EZ
    I did 2 IM and 2 backstroke kick

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick @ 1:10
    25 fast/25 EZ
    I did them as 50 shooters with an open turn

200 EZ

Total: 3000
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sports Nutrition Findings

by , August 13th, 2009 at 05:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No exercise to report. However, I did expend a tremendous amount of mental energy reading an article in the latest Rowing News magazine. It set forth highlights from the meeting of the ACSM last May. I'm sure many of you have seen them, but if you haven't, here are some that caught my eye:

1. Many athletes believe they need protein to build muscle. Yet a study showed that taking recovery protein (from Endurox or whatever) had no performance or muscle building advantages. I guess this is distinguishable, however, from its possible muscle recovery properties. This could be some of the research Jazz was alluding to when he announced that protein may not help build strength and changed his diet to exclude most protein, or at least meat.

2. Fruits, berries and black currants have antioxidant and anti-inflammantory properties. Real shocker there.

3. Actual food is more health protective than supplements. Q and Jazz say this all the time!

4. Almonds are awesome, particularly pre-exercise. Must be why Quicksilver munches them at his desk while sipping green tea ...

5. Athletes who exercise in the heat should hyper-hydrate, but make sure their sport drink contains a substantial amount of sodium.

6. Man athletic trainers use pickle juice to treat cramps. SwimmerGirlKT mentioned this on her blog awhile ago. Some report that 1-2 ounces can relieve cramping in seconds. The actual mechanism for this is illusive and indeterminate.

7. Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink. Wow, who'd a thunk?

8. Glutamine reportedly enhances recovery, yet a study comparing beverages with and without glutamine during and after exercise did not confirm this.

9. During exercise, an energy bar, sport drink or gel are all pretty much equally effective.

10. Exercise apparently improves learning based on studies done with younger children.

11. And check this out:

"Many youth swimmers spend hours training for relatively short competitive events. A six-week study with 9-12 year olds suggests high intensity/low volume training offers the same benefits as lower intensity/high volume training."

So don't burn young kids out! Wonder how this applies going forward as the pre-teens age?

Updated August 13th, 2009 at 05:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Nada + Pics, Wed., Aug. 12

by , August 12th, 2009 at 02:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This will be my third day in a row of no exercise! I didn't take a break after Zones in April and think that caused me more fatigue when I started up again. So I'm going to take a few days off. I am heading up to the Hillman Cancer Center in Pittsburgh this afternoon. I hope to get in a mellow swim or two at the Sewickley Y with my Pittsburgh buddies, Jimby and Bill White, while I'm in Pittsburgh over the weekend. (I have a family get together as well.)

I've attached a couple pics of two forum dinners and some of the Academy Bullets doing our strong arm thing. ABM finished 4th overall in the club team rankings!

Only 2 other thoughts about Nats:

It was freezing in the natatorium. I wish I had brought my parka and Ugg boots (if they're good enough for Rob Butcher ...), but they didn't fit in the suitcase, which already weighed 49.9 pounds.

I forgot to put my good luck nose clip on before my 50 back split on Thursday. I'm sure that made all the difference!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010441.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	6279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010493.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	6280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010566.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	6281  
  11. Reflections on Nats

by , August 11th, 2009 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I returned home to an intense onslaught of demands, frenzy and servicing. Yeesh! Can't I just lay on the couch and recover? So, before I rush off to the next kid pick up and feeding, here are my thoughts in random order.

1. Meet Performance:

Felt like I had a pretty good, but not perfect meet. Traveling is always tiring for me, and I had an rather trying first travel day with GPS failures and whatnot. And the first night, I had an engineer in my hotel room at midnight fixing my phone and alarm clock so I could get up in the am. You don't need little things like this to go wrong when you're trying to power down and get some sleep.

Anyway, I was happy with all the swims except the 100 back. Though I felt like I brushed off that disappointment pretty quickly and moved on. My 50 back split on Thursday was OK.

I'm not sure it was the best decision to start fighting the sleep issue with meds 2 weeks before Nats (but I did because of #6 below). The medication I was taking made me groggy in the morning. I gave it up after Friday on Dr. Allen Stark's (aka Mr. Breaststroke) sage advice, and felt better the last two days of the meet. Didn't sleep much, but then that is SOP for me at meets. It seems to be that way for many others as well. My doctor did confirm today that the sleep medication I was on can cause muscle tightness and cramping. He coulda told me! lol Anyway, I'm going to try something else for awhile because of these adverse side effects.

I held up pretty well over 4 days, which surprised me. I'm usually just gassed after 2. That was probably due to swimming a minimal number of events each day and nothing too long. I got a 30 minute massage after Relay day which probably helped too.

But overall, with PBs in my 50s, being very close to two WRs, and some great relays, I felt like I did pretty well. I'm cautiously hopeful that my 50 back will remain in the #1 position this time in USMS and FINA. We'll see ...

In general, I have to say national meets are a bit too long for me. Except for being able to see friends (which is huge and amazing and pure fun!), I prefer the 1-2 day meet format. It's a huge burden on my family to be gone so long and it takes a toll on me too. But masters swimming isn't just about times or maximizing performance.

2. Relay Day:

Seems somewhat controversial. I had a really great time that day with my teammates. Got to swim with friends and there was a lot of camraderie and cheering. I got so hoarse my voice starting morphing into Ahelee's!

I think having Relay Day stuck in the middle of the meet, as some have commented, took some bite out of the Sunday events though. It's hard to know how much. I guess I'd prefer to have it the last day of the meet. Then, those swimming with their teams can have at it and those without teams can leave early and save some dollars. (Having a meet where you arrive on Tues or Wed and leave on Monday is kinda pricey to say the least!) It doesn't really appeal to me to have 1-2 relays at the end of each day, as the wimpy sprinter in my finds that exhausting.

3. Taper Execution:

So glad I did RC work during taper this time! My gimpy shoulder held up fine during the meet and doesn't feel too poorly right now either. In fact, I'm not terribly sore -- just very tired.

I did weights a bit longer than usual into taper this time as well. That didn't seem to hurt. And I wonder if the tapering of the weights and adding explosive weights helped some?

I did feel like I overdid it on one day -- the Sunday before leaving for Nats on Wed. I did too many backstroke starts that day, leaving me tired for two days. I won't do this again right before a big meet.

(My backstroke starts in general were a bit erratic as Chris' DQ and the 15 meter mark preyed on my mind some. My start is a huge edge or me, so I need to get the kicks down as well as I can. In all three backstroke starts I did, I had a body length lead on the field at the breakout. Lisa Dahl literally corralled me in the warm down pool and asked what I was doing for this.)

4. Comparison to 50s in 2008:

50 fly
    2008 = 31.1
    2009 = 29.7*

1.4 second improvement

50 back
    2008 = 33.4
    2009 = 31.9

1.5 second improvement

50 free
    2008 = 29.2
    2009 = 28.5

.7 second improvement

* = only swim done in a Jaked as opposed to a B70. At the Terappin Cup meet in June, on shorter rest and after a LZR blow out, I swam a B70 clad 30.7 in the 50 fly. But I was rather dim spirited for that.

I guess since almost all of these times were done in B70s, Jim can't very credibly attribute the improvement to the suit.

5. Jaked vs. B70

My experience with the Jaked: meh. It seemed very similar to the B70 to me except less comfortable. This could be because my B70 is somewhat older and stretched out.

I did swim an extremely fast 50 fly in the Jaked. I'm not sure how much of an edge that gave me over the B70. My other two swims in the Jaked were the 50/200 back and the 50 free. In both these swims, I was slower than the 50 back and 50 free I swam with my B70. I did get relatively poorer starts in the swims with my Jaked so that could explain some of the lack of differential. Some could likewise attributable to fatigue -- e.g., I was more tired for my 50 free on Sunday than for the two leadoff legs in the relays on Saturday. Still, the Jaked was no magic pill for me. I'll continue to use it of course. Not sure where yet!

6. Extra Stress

I've also been under some additional stress/anxiety because of a health issue with Mr. Fort. He recently had abnormal blood test results and an abnormal bone marrow reading on an MRI. His doctor suspects myelodysplasia. There is really nothing good to say about this rare illness. We are seeing an oncologist on Thursday and he will likely need a bone marrow biopsy. He has had odd blood readings in the past and the abnormal bone marrow reading could be from trauma from his prior hip injury, so we're hoping for the best. And this is a man who biked 70 miles 10 days after getting 20 stitches in the calf muscle ... Still, this news, to say the least, has been upsetting and unsettling. I didn't say anything about it before Nats, and thought about canceling. But Mr. Fort really urged me to go since I had trained so hard. I felt very fortunate to see and be surrounded by such good friends while I was there! I miss my Indy peeps already!

7. Photos/Video:

I uploaded 80 or so photos to FB. I'm at my limit for photos here on USMS so you will have to go to FB to see the shots of forumites and friends. I thought my 50 fly video was on my camera, but it is not. Both Paul Wolf and Jimby filmed my 50 back, so hopefully I will get a link soon. One of Jimby's friends, a professional photographer, also took some shots of my 50 back that looked fabulous. He said he would email them to me. I can't wait to see them!

Updated August 11th, 2009 at 10:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  12. Day 4 Nats

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:17 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    About to hop on a plane home, so just a quick-ish report. I'll post more analysis and thoughts later.

Sunday's events were the 50 free and 50 back. I was glad the 50 free was first to "get the cobwebs out." I was definitely tired after relay day and another poor night's sleep, but not unreasonably so during warm up.

50 free: 28.6, 3rd place

Last year, went 29.3 at a USA meet with some rest in my B70. Yesterday, I went 28.7 and 28.5 in my B70 leading off two relays. On both of them I had very good starts. Not so today. The starter held us for a long time. I didn't get off the blocks well and went too deep. I was dead last at the 15 meter mark, which is unusual for me, though I am not immune to inconsistent starts. Recovered decently and finished in 28.6 for third place. I wore my Jaked for this race. I probably would have gone faster than yesterday'stimes IF I had nailed my start. But fancy suits don't fix that problem!

Lisa Dahl protested the start. Eney Jones also agreed it was terrible. Lisa had been hoping to
    approach the WR. They also herded us like cattle through the 50s making up some time on the timeline by doing this. That wasn't ideal either.

Even so, very happy with my 50 frees. My
    fastest of 28.5 is a big improvement from last year. (same suit)

50 back: 31.99, 1st place

My backstroke felt better in warm up and I made sure to do some backstroke sprints to get my arms moving. But I had a real energy lull and felt dead tired after the 50 free. FlyQueen got me a cup if coffee and that seemed to perk me up.

Since I had gone a 32.3 on Thursday, I was not at all concerned with my time. I just wanted to win cuz this event is my baby. Got a good start, though I played it fairly safe on the SDK front, taking 12. Had a very good breakout and just cranked. Started running out of gas about 5 meters from the flags. Stuck my finish, getting a 31.99. Was thrilled! I missed the WR by .2, but given that I was tired and it was day four, I was happy to finish on a good note.

I changed into my ratty old fashioned stretched out B70 for this race. I hadn't felt comfortable in the Jaked for backstroke on Thursday. In my B70 last year, I went 33.4, so this us a huge improvement.

In general, I think the 50 fly and 50 back were my best swims of the meet. The only real disaster was my ill fated 100 back. I held up better than I thought I would over the course of 4 days.

I did get a quick breaststroke clinic from Allen Stark after my 50 back. He gave me a few tips
    to work on: sculling out wider on the pull to take advantage of my strength, squeezing my elbows together more, not pausing before shooting my hands forward, and keeping my knees closer together on the kick. I had thought my kick was appalling, but he disagreed and really focused on my pull issues. He thought my ankles were plenty flexible to start walking like a duck and that there was no excuse for my breaststroke phobia!

I took loads of photos. I think someone video taped my 50 fly. I think Wolfy video taped my 50 back. I had assigned that task to Jimby, but he was apparently too addled from his 400 free to comprehend digital camera technology. Anyway, hopefully I can post links later.

As an aside, I will decline all individual IL state records that I set. Though I loved my adopted Nationals team the Academy Bullets, I'm a PV
    swimmer and will promptly rejoin GMUP.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Relay Day -- So much fun!!

by , August 9th, 2009 at 08:49 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quickie blog.

First, no cramping today. Made sure to drink a ton of Gatorade. My GMUP buddy also gave me some quinine tablets, a product from Canada that ge uses called "Leg Cramps.". Also just went with the usual lack of sleep.

These were my first relays ever at Nationals, and I really enjoyed them!

Wore B70, as I did on Friday.

Womens 120 200 free relay, 1st place:

I think we went a 1:54 or so and was told it was
    pretty close to the NR. I led off with a 28.7, a PB for me. Previous best 29.2. Took 4-5 dolphin kicks on start. 3 breaths. Felt pretty good.

Mixed 200 medley relay, 200 plus, 3rd place

Swam the fly leg. Had a bad dive, went in a bit sidesways and and to straighten out. Think I split a 30.1. Very safe start for me, as I'm not that used to relays.

Mixed 200 free relay 200 plus, 2nd place

My first relay with Jimby, who swam his little heart out with a blowout in his B70. Very exciting finish. The team anchored by Spock on the forums nipped us at the end. I led off again and went a 28.5. Thus time, I took 7-8 dolphin kicks. I guess more is better.

I got some good feedback on my freestyle from Coach Bill White, also a Bullet. He said my kick was like a "motorboat.". I never knew this! I always thought my flutter kick was weak and that I wasn't kicking enough. This is apparently because I am doing a flutter-dolphin type motion with my straight arm stroke. I never knew that ... I think Chris has mentioned that he does this in free as well. I've heard if some coaches trying to teach this style. I guess I'm happy to hear that's what I'm instinctively doing. My head is also too high, but again, it was opined that this was because I was undulating. My body must be hard wired to dolphin kick.

Psyched for the 50 free and 50 back today. Not too worried about times, as I've already got good splits from previous swims. Fortunately, though tired, I don't feel totally broken down like I did at Zones. Off to warm up!

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  14. How to HTFU when you cramp up in a race

by , August 7th, 2009 at 09:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Don't panic. You can dolphin kick with cramps.

Remember the rest of them b@tches ain't better than you.

Do not think of excuses now. It's easier to brainstorm them with friends later. A roomful of hypochondriacs are marvellously inventive.

Remember that there are likely no scientifically valid studies that show that swimming with your ankles at a right angle is more likely to slow you down than swimming with no legs at all.

Go slow. What's the rush? It's long course meters.

No matter how slow you go, you'll still beat Geekity.

It's called backstroke, not back kick, right? So who cares if you can leg press three times more than Jim Thornton?

If necessary, call for the trainer to bring you a gin and tonic stat. It's got quinine, right?

Don't forget the lime because cramps and scurvy are an even worse combination.

Ignore texts from well meaning friends asking why you were out so slow.

-------------------------------------------

So I swam the 100 back today. Was kind of hoping to go 1:12 or so. I managed to put my Chris Stevenson induced start fears aside and take a body length lead at fifteen meters. Unfortunately, the double calf cramps at the start made the next 75 or so rather trying. I was told I was "galacially slow" and "ragged." I managed to get my act together at the 75 meter mark or so and pass 3 people. But, on the whole a disappointing swim; my slowest time in 3 years. My backstroke feels very odd so far this meet. I'm also not feeling so great in the morning.

Hope to have much fun on relay day tomorrow.

Had a fabulous dinner with forum friends.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  15. Day 1 Nats, Thursday. Aug. 6

by , August 6th, 2009 at 10:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from iPhone ...

What an eventful first day at Nats ... Don't know where to start!

I met many forumites and swimmers I hadn't met before -- Ahelee, Eney Jones, Bobinator, Lisa Dahl, Jim Corbeau, Michael Heather, Allen Stark, Anna Lea Matysek, Frrday Girl, Kurk Dickson, and loads of new teammates. I was at the meet the entire day because I just love watching the swimming and seeing how all my friends do. And, very importantly, I got this lovely engraved spit cup from Eney Jones. We had been joking about spitting or splitting lanes in the 50 free. She was hoping my initials were LOL, but I had to disappoint her on that score.

I was a tad worried last night as I had a difficult day yesterday, but a "manly" hug from Jimby and Bill White and the dazzling smile of coach Chris helped cure that.

50 fly: 29.7

Really shocked! Did not expect to go under 30, especially since I just went 30.7 rested. I didn't
    have a great reaction time or breakout and short stroked the finish. But, hell, it was a huge PB for me. AJ Block, a real stud flyer, told me this time would have won the age groups between 30-44, which shows how dominant the 45-49 ladies are!

50/200 Back: 32.3 50 split

I must admit I was a but freaked out by Chris Stevenson's unfortunate DQ right before my race. His swim was simply fantastic to watch. And I myself always worry about the 15 meter mark. As a result, I was too conservative on my start. I was too shallow and only took ten SDKs. Not playing to my strength ... My turnover also felt slower than usual and several people commented that it looked like I was swimming the 100 back. I also, perhaps out of nerves, forgot to use my nose clip! Egads! I feel like that's my good luck charm!

Nonetheless, I split a 32.3. My previous best was 33.4, so I was pleased with the time. I think this split puts me no. 1 so far this year. I just think I need to go back to my usual start.
    And I have the 100 back tomorrow for that.

I'm hoping to get more sleep tonight!

Had great dinners with friends both nights. .

And only saw one super nasty B70 tear.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  16. Foul Language Gear, Tuesday, Aug 4

by , August 4th, 2009 at 01:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Rant:

Well, they can take away the damn suits (perhaps), but they can't take away my foul language gear. Argh, the F bombs are flying today. So far, my rec pool is closed for lack of power, GMU is closed, someone has been snitching my Jolt gum, I can't remember where I stashed my B70 after loaning it to my kid, I'm out of whey protein and I can't check in on line for the 200 back. And I haven't been on a run since June 22!

I am now going to run errands (F that too) and get an easy 1000 in in another pool where I hope they have power and some kid hasn't wrecked the water.

On the other hand, I get to see cool folks tomorrow.

Supplement:

I swam about 700 easy meters in my 86 degree outdoor gym pool. Then sat in the hottub and steam room. So am now happier. I am off to continue packing. I wish Ande was standing by me with his "list" for meets. Can't remember which tip that one was ... I'm sure I'll forget something vital. But I am comforted by the fact that there is a GPS on my iphone, as I have a tendency to get lost.

I also tried out my new pair of AquaSocket goggles. They were comfy and I really liked them!

Updated August 4th, 2009 at 06:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Monday, Aug. 3

by , August 3rd, 2009 at 05:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM = frenzy to get sh*t done

PM =

15-20 minutes of RC exercises
    15 minutes of stretching
    800 slow swim/drill
    15 minutes hottub
    15 minutes steam room

But my ART appt was cancelled. Boo hoo. I wanted to get rid of my usual little twinge in the left teres and scapular area. Mr. Fort may have some work to do tonight. I definitely did a bit too much speed work yesterday. My legs were tired today.

My backstroke felt very smooth today though. I guess that bodes well for the 100. Just hoping I can "Tancock" the 50. That guy has the fastest turnover I've ever seen in backstroke.

I still haven't felt that "crappy" phase of taper. Pondering this. It could be increased sleep. I'm also wondering if it might be due to the fact that I did a more gradual 3 week taper.

And I need to start packing. I hate packing, and can only do it in AFAP mode. So I will throw in black, white, denim and tech suits and hope it all works out. I am bringing my remaining suitfolio b/c there is a little FAF that needs some help in that department. I don't sense there will be many textile suits at Nats. ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Backstroke Starts, Sunday, Aug 2

by , August 2nd, 2009 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hulk Advice:

Here is some backstroke start advice I received today from our beloved, but swim deprived, Hulk:

1) Initiate the start with your hands by throwing them back as fast as you can;

2) Focus your eyes on your hands. That will get your head back and put you in a good arch position;

3) Throw your hips and feet up as you leave the wall to create a good entry line;

4) Pull up not forward, that's the key re: position, you want to set your shoulders and hips in the same vertical line.

5) A great drill for this is take your starting position, then just let go of the wall, don't push off, just let go, your first motion should be out from the wall not down, if you're going down, then you are curling up too much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, armed with this advice and wearing my B70, I did the following "workout:"

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety warm up

3 x 100 back, easy speed @ 2:00

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 30 = 1 backstroke start to 15 meters and easy swim back. rest and repeat.

I have been meaning to do some starts with a B70 for a long time. But I always seem to rush out without it in tow. As a result of being a bit of a moron about this, I'm somewhat inconsistent on my starts.

14 SDKs = too far, past 15 meters
    13 SDKs = can be too far unless I have a shallower start
    12 SDKs = 15 meters or just short

So I'm going to just stick with 12 SDKs to be safe. The depth of my starts really varied. There were a couple that I felt I really nailed in terms of going through the hole, good depth etc. However, on those starts, I had some trouble getting up and to the 15 meter mark in 12 SDKs. I guess I'm just not used to doing the classic "checkmark."

My last backstroke start, which was my 50 back at Zones in April, was rather shallow and I think I took 13 SDKs. I just need to work on this in the future to become more consistent. I have become better at pulling up, not forward, and not curling up like I used to. Just need to get the check mark and SDK count to auto pilot.

Anyhoo, after that rousing fun (for which I was grateful to have my own lane!) ...

100 EZ

4 x 15 "bursts" and cruise back

(I didn't mean these to be bursts. I intended to do a 50 back AFAP with fins and B70 to compare to fins and poly tank. But my f'in fins kept falling off. Hate this flexy brand.)

50 EZ

1 x 50 somewhat fast backstroke w/weanie dolphin kick to prevent fin fall off, 23.5ish

50 EZ

4 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x (25 fast free w/fins + 50 EZ)

200 EZ

Total: 2100

Random Thoughts:

Kinda tired after that effort. Might have done too much. Will be MUCH more slothful the next few days. Hoping to summon enough energy tonight to do my RC exercises and stretch. Feeling really lazy today. Seeing my ART doc for a last tune up tomorrow afternoon.

Had some water gushing down the front of my B70. Might be a bit stretched out on top. Fluck. Did anyone notice that in the interview after the Men's 400 medley relay today that it looked like Dave Walter's skin was actually sliced from his Arena suit?

I checked my itinerary for Indy. I arrive on Wed. at around 2:00. There is a team practice scheduled at the swim center from 4:45-6:00. I had to inform my wonderful Coach Chris that I would be doggie paddling, not "practicing." Methinks he is not used to coaching drop dead sprinters.

I am somewhat cross about the warm up and meet start times being moved up. Anti-night owl bias, no doubt. I will at least get to sleep in on Friday since I, boo hoo, can't compete in the 50 breast and don't swim until the 100 back.

I was also wondering somewhat about breathing for the 50 fly. I always try to breath as little as possible on a 50 fly. I think that's best in yards, but I wonder if I might be better off taking a couple more breaths in LCM? Since my dolphin kicking has improved, my breathing seems more natural ... and it certainly worked in the 100 fly. I wish Cream Puff hadn't left us so she could tell me what he did when she popped off that 28.7 that I hope will appear in the FINA rankings ... I was told that Dara Torres took 9 breaths when she set the AR in the 50 fly at WCT.

Updated August 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. RC + Happiness in Fortland, Saturday, Aug. 1

by , August 1st, 2009 at 08:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC work:

Had to go to the gym this afternoon cuz I was too lazy to do my exercises last night:

3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    overhead chops, 2 x 25
    reverse chops on yoga ball, 2 x 25

10 minutes stretching
    10 minutes steam room

Here's another RC exercise that Jazz sent me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcRFBFuo-c"]YouTube - Scapular Wall Slide - Shoulder Mobility - Nutrex Solutions[/ame]

I'm wiped out. Spent many hours at the NVSL All Star meet today in the heat and sun. But there is happiness in Fortland because Mini Fort won the 50 breaststroke. She went about 5 seconds faster than her prior mono times this season.

Last year, I saw one LZR at this meet. This year, it was a sea of Pros, LZRs and B70s. The kids all love them.

I still have no idea how kids swim in these ridiculously shallow pools ...

Am really pissed b/c I rushed out without DVR-ing swimming on NBC and I don't get universal sports. Edit: I apparently DVR'd the swimming "series" so was able to watch.

Updated August 1st, 2009 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  20. Friday, July 31

by , July 31st, 2009 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters on back

Speed work:

4 x 25 build free

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 UW flutter, 2 doggie paddle, 2 free
    50 EZ after each set of 3

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins (24ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may head to the gym later to do the dreaded RC exercises and sit in the steam room. My shoulder is finally feeling better. That 100 fly set me back for awhile, as I knew it would. Or I may succumb to taper laziness and attempt to do them at home.

Taper bitchies have definitely hit. I had tantrums over lost keys, ungrateful child, printer not working, etc.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Well, sort of, I am going to the All Star meet, which I hope goes well so there is no ensuing drama. lol.

I also need to get my act together over Nats a bit. I haven't even looked at the timeline. Ande would be appalled!

I did purchase some back up goggles and a new suit today. No, not a tech suit. Just a run of the mill practice suit. It's the Nike cut out suit. First Nike suit I've ever had, but it seemed to fit well. And it's light blue -- the THT color!

Updated July 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts