http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Day 2 CVDB, Wed. Sept 30

by , September 30th, 2009 at 06:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Strength:

standing lat pulldown, 150 x 5 x 5
    (some warm up sets at lower weight)
    bench press, 90 x 5 x 5
    (some warm up sets at lower weight)
    goblet squat, 70 x 1 x 10, 75 x 2 x 10
    (added 20-25 lbs, I was slacking before)

Core:

elevated crunches, 2 x 25
    reverse decline crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25
    dead bugs 3 x 25
    bicycles 3 x 50
    back extensions w/10 lb plate, 2 x 25
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 10, each side
    (added 10-20 lbs weight, was previously slacking on these as well apparently)
    total ab machine, 120 x 3 x 15
    push ups, 2 x 15

RC:

prone scapular scrunches, w/hand weights, 2 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    chops on yoga ball w/ hand weights, 2 x 15, thumbs up and thumbs down
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I'm persisting in making like CVDB even though I don't know WTH he does in the gym. Most elite routines, with the exception of Lezak, seem like a bit of a mystery ...

Since Q pointed out that CVDB is hitting the gym 3-4 x per week, I'll probably do that instead of 4-5. I'm also going to shift to the Q-sage advise and go with the 5 x 5 heavy reps on the core strengthening exercises. Seems more consistent with the CVDB focus.

I wish I had more info on explosive lifting. I'm going to PM a forum friend to see if he can give me some additional guidance.

I meant to swim today. I was planning a cruise + a few fast 25s, but had to leave the gym for a Mini Fort "forgot to tell you I needed X" emergency. There are a ridiculous amount of those emergencies in my life ... I plan to swim with Speedo tomorrow, doing some shooters and 3 x 100 AFAP. Other than an occasional 100 like this, I'm going to stick to 25s and 50s to stay "specific" as Jazz notes is desirable. On that specificity note, however, it doesn't seem terribly "specific" to do all 4 strokes ...

Yoga?

I'm wondering what to do about filling the soon to be aerobic conditioning void in my life. If I eliminate spinning, running and aerobic work in the pool, I am worried I could get twitchy or suffer endorphin withdrawal. I MAY go to a Bikram yoga class on Friday to try it out. I have been abysmal about stretching since Nationals and perhaps this would help on that front. And it might be especially advisable with the emphasis on strength in the gym.

I could go here; it's pretty close to my house:
    http://www.fallschurchyoga.com/schedule.shtml. I wonder if hot yoga kills you for the day or you can do something after?

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Upright rows:

I was also mulling over upright rows, as they seem to be a good compound exercise. Found this in a quick search:

"The upright row is a controversial weight training exercise performed by holding a barbell with the overhand grip and lifting it straight up to the collarbone. This is a compound exercise that involves the trapezius, the deltoids and the biceps. The narrower the grip the more the trapezius muscles are exercised, as opposed to the deltoids. Dumbbells, an EZ Curl bar, or a cable machine can be used instead of a standard barbell.
    Due to the amount of internal rotation of the humerus during this movement, many trainers and organizations (such as the ACSM and NFPT) consider this a contraindicated exercise for all trainees. Most will at least advise those with shoulder impingement issues to avoid it. Abstaining from raising the bar above the chest line will help in avoiding injury. If pain arises, stop this exercise immediately, as it may be an indicator of a pinched nerve. Substitutes include shoulder shrugs for upper trapezius development and lateral raises for lateral deltoids.
    While the movement resembles the end portion of the high pull it works different muscle groups. In the upright row, the shoulders provide the force to lift the weight upwards. In the high pull, the majority of the force is generated by the lower body, with the scapulae providing the rest of the force, and the arms are raised in response to and not as the cause of the rising bar."

I would think the impingement concerns wouldn't be a real worry if the weight was low and one was doing it more as a stability exercise?

Article: cheating for over the top elites & masters?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-sdc092809.php

Updated September 30th, 2009 at 11:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Making like CVDB, Tuesday, Sept. 29

by , September 29th, 2009 at 05:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I've decided to take Ande's advice and make like Cameron Van der Burgh until taper time for SCM Zones. So I plan to hit the gym 4-5x week and hit the pool 4-5x week. Pool work will consist of: (1) warm up/recovery swims; (2) hypoxic/SDK work; and (3) speed work. I don't plan on doing any aerobic work whatsoever unless I'm swimming with my team at my usual Sunday am practice. Of course, you get some aerobic work just doing what I have planned ... Bottom line: more gym, less pool yardage. Since I only plan on 50s and a couple 100s for the rest of the year and am done with my forays into 200s and the OW, I think this experiment is worthwhile. Or at least it will be a nice test to see if it works for masters ... Since I have lost some strength from almost 2 weeks off from the gym, I wish I had a bit more than 7 weeks for the experiment, but such is life. The only aerobic work I think I'll really miss is some of my kicks sets, especially with the MF. Perhaps I'll do one on occasion, if I feel the need to relieve boredom, although this might undercut the efficacy of the experiment perhaps.

Not sure about any other cross training in the form of running or spinning ... I might do some. Any thoughts on this? I'm also unsure how much to ease off before the Sprint Classic ... I'd like to swim some fairly fast 50s there, since it's probably my last yards meet of 2009 without a full taper.

Drylands:

leg extension, 90 x 3 x 10, 60 x 2 x 10 (fast)
    HS hi row, 150 x 3 x 10, 100 x 2 x 10 (fast)
    single arm standing "push" on double cable machine, 25 x 2 x 15, each arm, 30 x 1 x 15 each arm
    goblet squats, 55 x 3 x 15
    reat delt fly, 70 x 3 x 15
    leg press, 330 x 23 x 10, 250 x 2 x 10 (fast)
    rack chins (dropping ass), 3 x 15

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    dead bugs, 3 x 25
    windshield wipers holding 12.5 DBs, 3 x 25
    lunge-lunge-standing broad jump, 1 x 15
    lateral box jumps for 1:00 (these are hard one the outside calf muscle -- I must never use this muscle)

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25

stretching, 15 minutes, drive to pool

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

Main sets:

20 x 25, done as

odds = UW SDK shooter (no fins, Ande )
    (3 back, 2 belly, 2 flutter)
    evens = 25 EZ

100 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ)

Went:

50 SDK on back, :23
    50 back, high :24
    50 free, :25 (missed turn)
    50 SDK, :23
    50 back, :25 (tired)

100 EZ

hottub

Total: 2250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could definitely feel the weights on the swim! I usually feel it the next day, but not this time.

I realized today that I almost never do 50 frees in practice. Wonder why? I guess I'm always defaulting to backstroke. I usually just do AFAP 25s freestyle ...

Had a random thought whilst swimming today. Why can I take out my 100 IMs like a bat out of hell, but tend to hold back on my 100 backs and 100 frees on the first 50? Why so willing to die on one, but not the other? I guess the order of strokes in the IM dictate that ... Or maybe the pain/dying in my 100 IMs have changed my race strategy for other 100s.

Updated September 29th, 2009 at 08:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Recovery + Meet Planning, Sept. 28

by , September 28th, 2009 at 11:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did a fairly brief recovery type workout. Not quite up to cranking it all the way up today. I'd like to have a boring October; I feel like June-Sept were just crazed.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set:

40 x 50s, done as

1-10 = breaststroke kick @ 1:05
    11-20 = breaststroke pull @ 1:00
    21-30 = 25 easy speed fly + 25 easy @ 1:00
    31-40 = 25 UW shooter on back (no fins) + 25 easy @ 1:10

150 EZ

Total: 2900

Meet Plans for 2009-10:

I need to sort out my meet schedules for the rest of the year. Right now, I am planning on the Sprint Classic on Oct. 25 (which I wish was a week later), the Thanksgiving SCM meet at the Freedom Center (though it's not on the PV masters schedule yet ...) and a day or two at CZ SCM Zones in Flushing Meadow NY. The last two are back-to-back meets, which gives me pause. I'd like to see the order of events for these meets, so I can figure out what is doable.

I've already swum the 100 back and 100 fly in SCM this year, so I would prefer to focus on/be able to enter without huge timing issues the 4 50s and the 100 IM in SCM. And possibly do the 100 back again. I wish there was another yards meet in 2009 where I could swim the 100 IM before the likely suit ban is imposed, but I may not get around to that as I'm swimming the 4 50s at the Sprint Classic. The Sprint Classic will be my official 5th anniversary as a competitive masters swimmer. My very first swim as a masters swimmer was the 100 IM at that meet back in 2005 in a speedo endurance tank.

Ande has suggested that I train like Cameron VDB: http://www.casttv.com/video/2tdv76/m...-18-2009-video

I actually haven't watched the video yet. But I understand he has little pool time (4x a week) and mega gym today. Edit: Watched it. He seemed a little vague about the water time, referring to 3-400 recovery swims and then "high speed drills."

This might be a good course of action for the next 6 weeks until taper time. I'm kind of done with aerobic work for a bit, though I'll get some at my usual Sunday am team practice. I'm thinking that's plenty right now ...

2010:

My coach told me on Sunday that GMU was awarded the CZ meet again in April. Great news! This might be my taper meet for SCY, though the relays really complicate that effort. (I'm not planning a Feb. taper this year.) I'm just leery of mentioning the words "travel meet" (i.e., Atlanta) yet. It's too soon after a long Nats vaca at Indy. But I'm not planning on Puerto Rico, so it's a possibility.

In terms of LC meets, and looking way ahead, if we don't have a LC meet in PV (or even if we do), I might opt to go to New England LC Champs in June. I guess it depends where they are ... last summer, they were at an excellent pool at Middlebury. This has the advantage of leaving July and August, which are cluttered with swim meets and vacations, free of training and taper worry. I'd probably only go to this meet if I skipped Atlanta. Have to mull the options over, and what makes the most sense for the fam.

Jimby:

Jimby has now been in the woods since Friday. Poolraat skart me with talk of bears. I just hope he makes it out of the woods intact on Wed or Thurs as planned.

Suit:

Ordered a new suit today:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11289.htm

There were no Pros in my size and only 3 TYR suits left in my size (at least at swimoutlet). I expect companies have been flooded by USA-S orders.

Updated September 29th, 2009 at 11:54 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Pics + "100 free" vid

by , September 27th, 2009 at 11:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    More Fall Ball:

Here's the video of Jazz and I swimming the "100 free" at the Fall Ball (with a little cameo of Jackie O. ...) Jazzy's fly looks very smooth. I was way too deep -- no wonder I had trouble seeing/reaching the touchpad at the finish ... lol. Kirk said we should be deeked for delay of meet.

I could hear Allison in the background saying "what's the point?" lol. The point was fun. I'd definitely do a 50 SDK in that setting again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12FIYZwwX4"]YouTube - Leslie & Brian's 100 free[/ame]

I did get my 100 back splits: 31.6/33.1, basically almost even split b/c the differential was mainly the start. No split on my 50 SDK. Just didn't hit the touchpad hard enough.

Had a blast at the PV swim wedding. It's pretty funny when the groom welcomes everyone by first asking "How many of you went to swim practice or coached a practice this morning before coming?" We got swim caps as favors and these were seen in abundance on the dance floor. Many of us plan to wear them at the Sprint Classic next month. And the very handsome and beautiful bride and groom even posed for a swim shot (see below). I'm surprised Wally didn't give Jeff a little push ...

Updated September 28th, 2009 at 05:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010729.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	6302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010710.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	6303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010700.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	6305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010703.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	6306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010724.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	6307  

5. Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26

by , September 26th, 2009 at 10:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Fall Ball:

No razzle dazzle, but plenty of fun. The pool was very nice - couldn't believe it was a high school pool(s)! It was nice to see some of the PV gang (though many seemed to take a pass either because of recent tris/OW or the upcoming PV nuptials.) And it was great to see Jazz again, and he was very speedy!

My times were fairly solid, but I had some technical difficulties. Felt like I had serious SCY rust. It was probably good to attempt to work out some kinks at this meet. I was also thrown off some by a switcheroo. I could tell in warm up that the backstroke flags were set at 5 meters. But I didn't know until after the 50 back that they were switched back to 5 yards before racing started.

I did feel tired in the water. This confirms my thinking that I just cannot compete very well two weekends in a row. However, since I had no expectations of this meet and used it for training, all was fine.

I also felt kind of "weak" strength wise. I suspect this is from doing weights only once in the last 2 weeks. I've also been completely unfaithful to my RC exercises.

50 back, 28.7

Did this as a split request in the 200. Took too many strokes from the flags in and jammed the first turn a bit. Took fewer strokes from the flags in at the finish and glided about 3 yards or so. lol. Jazz and Paul estimated a .5-.6 time loss on the finish. Still, it's about what I expected to go. If I had gone a low 28 right now, that would have been very surprising.

My stroke felt choppy and I had no zip/decelerated on the breakouts.

100 back, 1:04.8

Did this at about 90-95%. Wasn't sufficiently HTFU'd to kill myself with a total all out effort. (Felt slightly less guilty when Neill admitted to taking the same approach.) Turns/finish were better than the 50 (which Hulk seems to have called a "split-splat :P), and I SDK'd a fair amount. Just no real zip and took it out somewhat leisurely. (10 lashes from Ande.) There are no splits yet; that's just how it felt.

"100 free," missed split

I didn't feel inspired to swim a real 100 free. Since Jazz was doing a 50 fly on his first 50 of the 100 free, I decided to do a 50 SDK. I opted for doing it on my belly. Kinda wish I had flipped over and done it on my back, which I think is faster.

I almost hit the bottom of the pool about halfway on the first length. lol This is hard to do as the pool was 7 feet deep at that spot ... Had to come up practically vertical at the open turn and finish to get to the walls. Apparently, I didn't hit the touchpad hard enough to get a split ... Think it was probably around 30 or so though, nothing too fast. I did a 31+ from a push a week or so ago without a B70.

The officials were pretty entertained by our 100 free heat. The referee, who I had chatted with throughout the meet after arranging my split request, laughed and wryly observed that I had gone past the 15 meter mark. I smiled and agreed he should DQ me, but he decided not to since he'd never seen anyone do a 50 SDK at a meet before.

Allison taped our "100 frees" since Jazz and I were in adjacent lanes. She said she lost track of me since I was too deep, so we can all look forward to seeing Jazz.

Bottom line:

Not bad. My backstroke times were comparable to those I swam last September at the Shootout (there, I went 29.1 and 1:04.7) and I felt relatively more "rust" at this meet. If I had gone slower than 1:05.1, I would have had admit a defeat by the Geek, and send him more caps as penance. Fortunately, this humiliation was narrowly avoided.

Now, back to sprinting and the weight room. No more cushy aerobic sets and OW cruising!

Updated September 26th, 2009 at 10:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  6. Some people suck! Friday, Sept. 25

by , September 25th, 2009 at 06:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    As I was running around like a maniacal nut job today, someone bashed my car. I was in some store or another, and he/she didn't leave a note. It was on the passenger side, so I didn't even notice it until I got home. What a freaking hassle ... between that and my iphone theft and other stuff, I'm having a streak of bad luck. Argh!

Before I knew of this mess, I went to my gym and did the following:

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

Other sets:

9 x (25 UW shooter, no fins + 25 EZ)
    3 belly, 3 side, 3 back

50 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

200 EZ

Total: 1675 meters

Sit in hottub and steam room.

Commentary:

I don't feel as tired today. My right calf is still twingey, but much better from the rest it got this week from weights/run/mega-finning.

This is the first meet in a long time that I view as purely a training meet. I have no real expectations for my times. Just going to see where I'm at (with not much sprint work lately) and have fun. Then, Sunday, I will take the day off to attend the Roddin-Oplinger nuptials. Monday, back to the sprinting grindstone.

SCY Top Ten:

She Puff alerted me that TT final times were out. Here's a comparison for me of 2008 and 2009:

2008:

50 free, 10th, 25.99
    50 back, 5th, 29.34
    100 back, 7th, 1:04.76
    50 fly, 6th, 27.67
    100 fy, 8th, 1:04.25
    100 IM, 10th, 1:06.84

2009:

50 free, 4th, 24.94
    50 back, 2nd, 27.90
    100 back, 6th, 1:02.84
    200 back, 8th, 2:22.36
    50 fly, 4th, 27.06
    100 fly, 3rd, 1:01.33
    100 IM, 7th, 1:04.11

So relatively better this year. Mary Beth Windrath, as promised, got my split request in after I sent her the documentation. No thanks to the Dixie Zone officials, Geekity!

Updated September 25th, 2009 at 07:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Thursday, Sept 24

by , September 24th, 2009 at 06:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Like one of my very sweet blog followers, , I only had 45 minutes or so to hit the pool today. Had to take Mini-Fort in for x-rays. She may have broken her finger playing volleyball. Fortunately, she can swim with the finger just not play volleyball. lol

Anyway, here's what I eked out:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Speed sets:

5 x (25 UW shooter on back + 25 EZ), no fins

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins (:24)

200 EZ

Total: 1600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still tired.

Sheesh! Maybe I need to make like Smith and start taking Optycon or something ... Or maybe I'm coming down with something ... Or maybe I'm just old.

Must say I was relieved to go a :24 in my 50 AFAP back. I was slightly worried I'd see a :26 pop up as I've done relatively little sprinting lately b/c of Savageman. I didn't feel real zippy in the sprints. But I did feel fine underwater.

Fall Ball:

Now, on to the Fall Ball. I've checked out the heat sheets and timeline. I need to revise my line up and figure out what to do. There is only 45 minutes between the 200 back and 100 back. There is no way, no matter how much I HTFU, that I can recover from a 200 back that quickly. So I either scratch the 200 back or do a split request and swim a 50. Neill Williams suggested the latter and I may take him up on that suggestion. So that would mean: 50 back, 100 back (in Neill's heat -- WTH?!) and 100 free. As previously stated, I am unmoved to do a 200 IM and will scratch that off my list.

There are also some unofficial relays, including a 400 fly relay. I may do one of those with some friends. I'm swimming the meet Unattached, and you can team up with whomever you want as the relays are unofficial.

But the best part of the Fall Ball is I am car pooling with Jazz Hands for his first PV meet! Can't wait to see him again. Haven't seen him, though I've clearly been taking scads of advice, since Austin.

Now I just have to decide what suit to wear. If there really is a chance that USMS will ban suits as of Oct. 1, I really should wear my Jaked. On the other hand, I didn't like it that much for the one 50 back I swam in it at Nats ... Still, there could have been other factors there (like being freaked out by Chris' DQ and really botching my start). I'll likely just wear my B70 and gamble that the ban, if it happens, will be effective on 1/1/10. As I've said, i'll be pissed if it isn't because the rest of the world has already been swimming SCM. We shall see ... I guess it's possible FINA could take its bloody time making an announcement.

Updated September 24th, 2009 at 06:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Geekity Copycat + Pics, Wed., Sept. 23

by , September 23rd, 2009 at 11:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Today, I pirated Geek's solo workout. Since I've stepped into OW, begun purchasing 2XU gear and am a member of USTA, I thought I must as well go whole hog.

I treated the practice as a recovery workout essentially. I am still worn out from the weekend. I must be the slowest recovering masters swimmer ever ... I'm always dead after a meet for a few days. In light of that, I'm just going to coast the rest of this week. Awhile ago, I had mentioned that after 4-5 weeks of hard training, my body seems to demand a break. So I think this will be the week it gets it. Timing is probably good anyway as my right calf is still sore and the Fall Ball is Saturday, just 6 days after my OW escapade. I'm definitely scratching the 200 IM. Just the sound of those words makes me want to take a nap. lol. I'll get back to hard training -- and sprint training -- next week.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

850 variety swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

6 x 75 free @ 1:15

10 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00

50 EZ

4 x 200 back w/fins @ 3:00, negative split

50 EZ

6 x 50 lungbusters = underwater dolphin kicking with a breath (but not a coffee break) at the turn @ 1:15
    odds = belly
    evens = back

200 C/D

Total: 3050

I've downloaded the pics from Savageman, but haven't had a chance to look at them or edit them.

Julie is very anxious to get her wall pic! I snapped one where she was getting up and back on the bike. She is much further than halfway up that killer hill!

Here's a few of them, including the Western Port wall, shots of Mr. Fort and Julie heading up it, and some geezer relay shots.

Updated September 23rd, 2009 at 11:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010673.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	6297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010670.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	6298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010629.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	6299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010634.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	6300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010641.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	6301  

9. Tuesday, Sept. 22

by , September 22nd, 2009 at 11:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still feeling pretty flattened today from the race, sleep deprivation, traveling etc. Just hopped on the bike for 30 minutes and stretched a bit. Really lazy for me. Will go to the pool tomorrow afternoon. Hope most of the kinks are worked out by Saturday for the Fall Ball. This will be the first time I've swum in races on back to back weekends. I'm working on shortening my "refractory period."
    Categories
    Spinning
  10. Savageman Report, Sunday, Sept. 20

by , September 21st, 2009 at 04:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Savageman Report:

So I jumped way out of my comfort zone and into Deep Creek Lake ... (where's the "take the plunge" emotion, Anna Lea?).

First off, I want to say I had a fabulous time at the event, which had a wonderful festival like atmosphere and beautiful setting. And I appreciate all the great advice everyone took the time and effort to give me! Many thanks on that score!

But what happens if you put a drop dead sprinter in the OW for the first time at age 48?*

(*I'm not sure I even qualify as a drop dead sprinter using Ande's calculations. My 200 back time is worse than 2 x my 100 back + 14 seconds ... Does that make me a drop drop dead sprinter or a drop dead dead sprinter?)

Here's the recap:

Relay:

The Vienna Geezer Jocks finished 5th in the coed relay for the half iron division. Our overall time was 5:36. (We would have been 4th in the all male division. lol) We were the #1 all masters relay. All the teams that beat us had a 20 something youngster -- my running relay mate did all the internet research and observation at transition.

Splits:

Swim: :29:44
    Bike: 3:25
    Run: 1:39

Note: Quicksilver accurately predicted my time!

Swim:

I was the first female relay contestant out of the water with a 29:44. I was actually thrilled to go under 30 minutes, as I said I would be. But, boy, I made absolutely every rookie mistake in the book and am a stinky OW swimmer:

1. I sprinted at the start. NOT a good idea for a drop drop dead sprinter. I should have listened to Jimby and I promptly texted him with permission to say "I told you so." I went into lactic acid pain after 200 yards or so. The next 500 I was wishing I could climb out! lol I vaguely settled into a groove later. I think the race would have been more pleasant and less painful if I had built into it like I did in my 22 x 100 pool swim.

2. I didn't/couldn't draft except for the smallest portion. The fast 25-29 guys and the faster male relay swimmers were just too far ahead, and I had trouble seeing anyone else. As a result, I felt like I was slightly in no man's land. I did draft off a guy for awhile. He apparently didn't like this as he swung wide. There was another (much younger) woman who was very close to me in the swim (29:48). We actually chatted at the start. She is an OW swimmer. I should have known she was reasonably fast and tried to keep track of her when she lined up at the right front at the start. In fact, she was ahead of me the whole race until the last 200 yards. How do I know this?

3. I did quite a bit of evilstroke! 100 lashings. I couldn't see where the F I was, so occasionally I took a couple evilstrokes to check the field and look for other swimmers. (I recognized her goggles at various junctures.) In fact, she was breaststroking around the huge inflatable turtle at the first turnaround point and I was right behind her, forced to evilstroke as well. (But, Bob, it didn't make my legs feel bad at all!)

4. Trouble at the first buoy. In my attempt not to swim 20 feet away from the buoy, I was rather close on the first one. In fact, the swimmer in front of me smacked his/her head right into it. Yikes! This caused me to evilstroke for a few seconds as well as that person stopped abruptly. I seemed to be reasonably close to the other buoys without going way way off course. Though I definitely wasn't swimming straight and had to keep correctly some. I love my lane lines.

5. I didn't kick enough. I realized this after. I was so preoccupied with feeling adrift and staying on course, I forgot this basic thing. I think it would have helped me. On the other hand, I'm not used to either LD freestyle or kicking on LD freestyle, so I tend (even if the pool) to lapse into a 2 beat kick. But this meant my legs were somewhat fresh and I could hightail it up that nasty hill toward the bike transition area. I was one of the few running. The tris, very understandably, seemed to be recovering before hopping on their bikes. All except the other relay girl who came out of the water right after me. I wasn't going to let her pass me on the run!

5. mj's advice about taking a few seconds before starting the run up the hill was good. I got out of the water very slowly, and was able to start running pretty quickly. Well, jogging is more accurate.

6. I guess the thing I disliked the most was that I felt like I was swimming in the dark. The lake seemed black to me and I couldn't see anything underwater. And I'm an unskilled sighter. Upon reflection, I think I preferred swimming in the ocean at Wrightsville beach despite the waves. The ocean water is so much lighter and clearer, I didn't feel like I was in the dark.

7. The water temp and air temp were ideal. Thanks to my wetsuit, I didn't feel cold at all.

For Ande: I just wore my Title IX sport bikini under my 2XU. I didn't have time to change at transition. I just ripped off my wet suit, pulled on running shorts and hopped in the car to get to the Western Port wall in time to see Mr. Fort. We got there only a few minutes before he arrived, and I also got to see Julie try to summit it.

How my time stacked up:

I had the fastest women's relay time, as I noted. There were three female Pros who swam faster with 24:11, 26:21 and 28:06. The 24 was by Susan Williams, 2000 triathlon bronze medalist. She was amazing and I got to see her a couple times on the course. The other Olympic triathlete (from 2004) swam the course in 32:55. Julie swam the course in 31:22, though the poor thing had her googles break. (Her fiance Jeff really rocked the swim!) Note: Julie swam WAY faster that that b/c they messed up her swim/transition time, for the second year in a row. She was a 28+, which is smoking and much more consistent with her other times. She is a great distance swimmer. (And, as aside from the Western Wall where she put in max effort, she had a very good bike leg.)

One other real female swimmer in the relays (from what our intelligence gleaned) was 20 years old and a 500 freestyler in high school. She swam a 34:49 for the winning coed relay, Team Generation XYZ.

Bike:

Mr. Fort did great. He's only been cycling for a few months and chose a super hard course for his first bike race. He completed the 55 mile course in 3:25. He said he gained ground on the hills and got clobbered on the descents. He knew this was coming because he didn't have the technical skills of the other riders. He also didn't have the gear. He was on a 2005 Trek with no aero bars. Everyone else in the bike rack for the relays had serious bikes, aero bars, bibs and those cone helmets. But I think he was super pleased with how he did. He summited the Western Port Wall fairly easily. He went straight up and was very glad no one was weaving in front of him. He was hurting on the Killer Miller climb.

One relay cyclist (from the winning coed team and a master) was crazy fast. He biked a 2:49 on the course. I think the winning Pro (Bjorn Anderson), who is in his prime, set the course record and biked a 2:43.

Run:

Our runner did wonderfully well. He struggled more on the hills than he anticipated (though he had run the course before). He is a much better runner on the flats. But he ran a hilly half marathon in 1:39, which was the 3rd fastest time among the relay runners. He passed several relay teams to pull us up in the standings.

He was very fortunate. About a mile into his race, he paired up with one of the ironman racers (a 46 year old Kona qualifer, who went on to finish 10th overall, I believe). They paced each other and drafted the rest of the way.

Other Notes:

1. Watching at the Western Port Wall was amazing. There were huge crowds. Many many folks with cowbells. Despite Geek's admonition, I purchased an annoying cowbell for our girls and they whacked away at it for every biker attempting the climb. So many people just fell over as they were riding slowly up the hill. I had never seen anything like it before. And, when you're clipped in, it looks like it really hurts. There were people dressed as "devils" encouraging the bikers as they made their way up the hill.

2. Even elite Pros make mistakes -- I saw one guy fall off his bike when dismounting to transition to the run. I saw one guy fall off his trainer that he was warming up on in the transition area.

3. The hills were brutal. Truly, the triathletes there participating are a of a different breed. I was told the blogs and discussion boards had many comments saying some tris just wouldn't do Savageman because it was too hard.

4. I didn't see anyone that wasn't in a wetsuit. I did notice that there weren't that many people warming up. I guess some tris use the swim as their warm up.

5. Today I feel like someone took a hammer to my back and shoulders. lol. And my lats were burning after the race. Don't think I'll be doing a test set with Pete tomorrow. I will be cruising and trying to recover for the Fall Ball.

6. Super glad to have done it. Enjoyed our relay comraderie and the convivial atmosphere. But it was tough! My previous longest race was 2:20+, so this was a big jump to say the least.

7. Oh, and my B70 goggles were great. I didn't have any trouble with fogging or the sun.

8. I did get chaffing around the back of my neck at the hairline where I didn't put body glide. So I guess I needed it!

Updated September 22nd, 2009 at 12:35 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Gorgeous! Saturday, Sept. 19

by , September 19th, 2009 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove to Deep Creek this morning arriving at 1:30 just in time to pick up our packets and attend the athlete briefing. It's so beautiful here ... Temps in the upper 60s, sunshine, foliage -- should be very good race conditions tomorrow, though possibly warm for the run.

I went on a swim in the course. Swam about one mile. Here's what I found out:

1. I can't swim straight. Without frequent sighting I'll end up in the middle of the lake!

2. I need to stay much closer to the buoys or I'll be going way more than 1.2 miles.

3. It's freaking dark in a lake. I can barely see someone swimming next to me! That's very odd after the pool ...

4. I have no idea how to pace this race. Not unexpected as I'm a sprinter. But at least I'll know when I'm at the 3/4 mark because there's a buoy fir the international finish.

5. There will be no dolphin diving to the finish. There's rocks all over at the start and finish.

6. The transition will be murder. You get out of the water and there's about 1/3 mile straight uphill to the bike transition area.

7. It's more tiring to swim in OW than a pool. No surprise there!

8. Triathlete love B70 wetsuits. Saw loads of them there.

9. Julie and Jeff swam this am. Julie had major trouble with her goggles fogging. Hope that doesn't happen tomorrow am.

I'm now ensconced in a lovely little cabin overlooking the bucolic lake. The girls are making a poster for us Vienna Geezer Jocks. The names of some of the coed teams are hilarious. One of my favs is "In the name of the donut."

My biggest challenge will be getting up at the crack of dawn. I'm not nervous at all, nothing like before a big meet. I think this reflects the fact that my inner control freak is subsiding over time.

I think swimming this race, in all my ignorance, should allow me to escape mocking fir being a wimpy sprinter fir at least one week!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Still Cruisin', Friday, Sept. 18

by , September 18th, 2009 at 08:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 variety swim/kick/drill

Aerobic Work:

6 x 200 @ 3:00/3:30 (3 free, 3 kick)

50 EZ

16 x 25 UW shooters
    odds = back
    even = belly

50 EZ

10 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    odds= evil pull
    evens = single arm fly

200 EZ

Total: 3200
    Swim = 2000
    Kick = 1200

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't done this much freestyle in ages ... lol. My evil pull feels pretty decent now. From a push, I was only taking 3 SPL. Of course that wasn't with fast hands and was with fins ... Now I need to work on my deplorable kick. This will require the use of pull buoy, which I don't own ...

Felt slow today, but I always feel sluggish the day after a massage. I've been mainlining coconut water and green tea today.

The forecast for Savagemen is pretty good. it should be around 50 when the swim starts with sunny conditions. I could definitely do without the fog of the last couple years! Must remember to bring my parka and Ugg boots. Haven't started packing yet. Just hate to pack.

We are leaving tomorrow after my daughter's soccer game and will try to get there for the 2:00 pm athlete briefing. I'm hoping I can amble through the course that afternoon. Julie and Jeff have already left and are camping for the weekend. We're in a cabin fairly near the start area.

I have two more stupid OW questions: What are you supposed to do with that long string hanging down the back that helps you unzip your suit? Just let it drag? Does one really need body glide for a 30 or so minute swim?

Pasta tonight!

Updated September 18th, 2009 at 10:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Just Cruisin', Thursday, Sept. 17

by , September 17th, 2009 at 09:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

850 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic work:

3 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    #1-3 = UW SDK
    #4 = EZ free

50 EZ

5 x (3 x 100)
    #1 = free @ 1:40
    #2 = back or breast @ 1:40/1:50
    #3 = backstroke kick @ 1:50

50 EZ

Total: 3050

Commentary:

Barely broke a sweat today. Just cruised along.

Got a massage today and they worked on my calf. It feels worse now though. I was running around at Fort Son's cross country meet today watching the runners and I was limping a bit. I hope I haven't pulled a "Quick" and strained it too much. I though it was just sore from the cramping in practice, but it could be the seated leg curl machine or the runs or a combo ... Oh, well, won't need it much except for the transition area for the OW swim. But I hope it's fine by the Fall Ball where I will need it! Got my "Leg Cramps" product (with quinine) in the mail today. Going to start taking it right away.

Savageman:

Question: Can someone tell me what is legal to wear under your wetsuit these days?

My Savageman relay mate sent this to Mr. Fort today, which gave me a laugh:

"Happy Birthday! How about celebrating your birthday by going on a leisurely Sunday bike ride with the following hills? Congrats on the milestone birthday!"

Name/"Savage" CategoryAvg Grade/Max Grade:

Toothpick, 4th Savagery,0.25 mi, 9%,16%

Westernport, Hors Savage, 1.2 mi, 12%, 31%

Big Savage Mtn, 1st Savagery, 2.4 mi, 6%, 21%

Savage River State Forest, 4th Savagery, 2.8 mi, 4%, 7%

McAndrews Hill, 2nd Savagery, 0.6 mi, 9%, 19%

Otto Lane, 2nd Savagery, 0.6 mi, 8%, 17%

Killer Miller, Hors Savage, 1.3 mi, 8%,
    22%

Maynardier Ridge, 3rd Savagery, 0.25 mi, 12%,
    23%

The percentages are the average grade and maximum grades. Ouch!

Doing Savageman is part of his birthday present ... if anyone was wondering the reason for my OW craziness ... Although Eney Jones remarked on FB that she had read someone predicting that I would now become an OW swimmer since B70s are legal there. hahaha

Happy Notes:

I received my certificate for breaking a NR in the 50 back at Colonies Zones in the mail today. I still can't believe it really happened ... lol

After months of pestering my health insurance company, I believe they are going to cave and pay my claim for the PRP treatments I received in 2008. They had previously denied the claim as, among other things, "experimental." It helped to have letters from my chiro and doc for the appeals and that WSJ article. And, seriously, it was way cheaper than surgery!

Updated September 17th, 2009 at 11:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Wetsuit workout + Weights, Wed., Sept 16

by , September 16th, 2009 at 06:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Dryland:

Since I missed yesterday, I decided to get a short weight session in despite not wanting to do doubles this week. Didn't do too much. Had to restrain myself. lol

bicycles, 2 x 50
    decline reverse crunches, 3 x 25
    HS hi row, 90 x 1 x 5, 110 x 1 x 5, 130 x 1 x 10, 150 x 1 x 10, 170 x 1 x 10
    HS bench press, 50 x 1 x 5, 70 x 1 x 5, 80 x 3 x 10
    alternating hammers, 20 DBs x 2 x 30
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 2 x 25

15 minutes of stretching. Tried to work on my right calf; I feel like I strained something there ... Keep forgetting to use the damn foam roller. I have a 30 minute massage scheduled for tomorrow to work on it.

Saw a very buff guying doing a cool exercise today that was sort of like Chris' Bruce Lee leg raises. He was using the bar where I do hanging ab work. He did a hanging straight leg raise and then just kept going, keeping his legs straight all the way up to the bar where his hands were. Crazy. Naturally, I tried it -- couldn't do it at all. Damn weak core!

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Drove to the Rec Center to do a wetsuit workout with my 2XU. I know pool workouts can't really simulate OW, but I gave it a bit of a whirl with a set of 22 x 100 (The half iron is 2112, assuming one swims straight). I didn't go all out at all, but tried to build into the swims and keep a pretty good clip. The first 5 were basically extended warm up. I wore fins to de-weight the shoulder, but didn't kick at all or SDK off the turns. So I don't think they decreased my times too much. I mentally swam the 100s in groups of 5 so I wouldn't lose count as I am wont to do at virtually any distance ... I had decided to take 15 seconds of rest between the 100s, figuring I'd go around 1:10s. (This is my version of a short rest set, though I know some of you crazies do much worse.) When I went under 1:10, I just took 17-18 seconds rest.

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick

Main set:

22 x 100

#1-5, went 1:10s @ :15 RI
    #6-10, went 1:08-09 @ :16-17 RI
    #11-15, went 1:07-08 @ :17-18 RI
    #16-17, went 1:07 @ :18 RI
    #18-22, went 1:05-07 @ :18-20 RI

I didn't take any extra rest between the sets, just swam straight through. I swam the set, including the rest, in 29:30. The rest constituted about 5 minutes of the swim. Obviously wouldn't have gone quite as fast on the 100 splits without the rest (and wouldn't go as fast in OW w/o the pool walls). On the other hand, I wasn't going all out by any stretch. I didn't feel terrifically tired afterward, though I feel some arm fatigue now. It's hard for me to judge how long I can keep up a fairly fast rate without going into a nasty lactic acid phase. I think I'll try some alternating bursts of sprinting and cruising throughout the race.

I also began overheating at about #12, so suffered some on the last 10. When I took my wetsuit off afterward, my skin was hot. The pool temp was 82; Deep Creek is expected to be 68. So I shouldn't have this problem there.

I realize afterward that I should have done some sighting in there. Geek tells me he doesn't breathe when he sights. This seems like smart advice because then you're not lifting your head too high and disrupting your body position.

Then I did:

200 EZ

3 x (100 scull, 100 goswim free drill, 100 fly drill)

100 EZ

Total: 3800

GU:

Has anyone used the Roctane GU gel instead of the regular GU gel? I tried one today. I can't say I noticed any real difference (besides price). But it was thinner than regular GU, which I think tends to taste like frosting. So, this seemed like a plus. And I liked the blueberry-pomegranate flavor.

OW notes:

1. Ande gave me the following helpful advice:

"swim the first 200 very strong,
    then look around, who ever's near you must be pretty good, settle in behind them and draft
    when you're close to the finish line attempt to sprint past them and win

size matters,
    find a fast large person & draft,
    the bigger the better

180 lbs or more is ideal
    150 - 180: OK
    120 - 150: not so good
    120 or less: avoid
    100 pounders don't make much current

Watch the field look for challengers

Eye the course & know the currents.
    even if you're drafting, check now and then to make sure you're swimming the right direction"

No one should want to draft off me!

2. I've also been told it's a good idea to dolphin dive to the finish when you're hands can almost touch the bottom. Never would have thought of that.

3. I also tried my B70 goggles today. I bought the yellow mirrored ones. They were actually cheaper than the usual Speedo goggles I use and astonishingly comfortable. I really liked them.

Fall Ball:

Got an email from the meet director confirming that there will be touch pads and that we can do split requests. I'm really happy about the touch pads b/c I hate doing backstroke starts without them. Plus, it's nice to get your splits when you're swimming 100s and 200s! I hope the new pool is nice.

Updated September 16th, 2009 at 11:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  15. Meet Entries

by , September 15th, 2009 at 10:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Fall Ball & Sprint Classic:

Remembered to enter the Fall Ball online tonight at the last minute. I wasn't crazy about the order of events, and there are no stroke 50s or 100 IM. I entered:

200 back
    100 back
    100 free
    200 IM

I won't swim both the 100 free and 200 IM. I'll just see what I feel like swimming once I'm there. The 200 IM I swam last year was the most painful thing ever, so it will probably be the 100 free (if I'm not gassed after the backstroke events). There are unofficial stroke relays there as well that sound pretty fun. Haven't done one of those since I was a kid.

I think for the Sprint Classic I'm going to swim the four 50s and the four 25s. I'd like to swim the 100 fly before the end of the year, but I swam that last year at the Classic and I have a yen to do the quad 50s. The 100 fly is right between the 50 back and 50 breast.

The procedure went fine today. No ulcers. I was a little foolish to think I was going to work out today though ... I took a 3 hour nap instead and was kinda groggy the rest of the day. Back at it tomorrow.

Anyone ever tried this recovery drink?

www.go-energy-recovery.com

Updated September 16th, 2009 at 10:55 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  16. Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14

by , September 14th, 2009 at 10:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I stole and modified one of Patrick's recent workouts today:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 variety warm up

8 x 25 UW shooters @ :30

50 EZ

Main set:

This was intended to be a quality IM set where the IMs were fast. Since I am ramping down the intensity some this week, I did the IMs @ about 80%. (Since I almost never do IMs this is hard to judge, however.) Oddly, the 100 IM hurt worse than the other two. The IMs were the only things I swam with fins b/c of fly. My breast pull feel better now that I've been really trying to squeeze my elbows together.

5 x 200 free (aerobic) @ 2:50
    50 EZ
    100 IM fast (went 1:05)
    100 EZ
    50 SDK on back fast
    50 EZ

5 x 100 back (aerobic) @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    200 IM fast (2:24)
    100 EZ
    50 flutter kick w/board fast
    50 EZ

5 x 50 dolphin kick w/board (aerobic) @ :50
    50 EZ
    400 IM fast (4:59)
    100 EZ
    50 SDK on back fast w/fins (23 mid)

200 EZ

Total: 4300

Commentary:

Yes, I swam a 400 IM! lol First one in forever. I can't believe I used to regularly swim this vomity event as an age grouper. I even had my college record in it for awhile. It was not at an elite swimming college obviously.

I was a bit tired today. I think I have some accumulated fatigue from 3 weeks of hard training. Not going to do any doubles this week and ramp down the intensity some. Hoping to lift tomorrow -- I'll see how I feel after the procedure tomorrow am. Going to lay off the legs this week.

Cool drill/plyo:

I took my lil lil Fort to her first USS swim practice today. I was shocked she wanted to swim USS b/c she didn't like swimming much until this summer. Anyway, while her little group was stretching, I watched the seniors for a bit. They did a neat drill/dryland where they did streamline jumps on deck, plyo-jumped feet first into the pool, jump squated off the bottom of the pool, did a dolphin dive and SDK'd UW to the other end. Looked fun! I'm definitely going to do that to spice up a workout. Maybe next week.

Savageman:

I posted the Savageman swim to response to one of Rob's comments. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsmQ6YVUHc&feature=player_embedded#t=17"]YouTube - SavageMan Triathlon Half Swim Course[/ame]

It's kind of odd ... it looks like it almost goes up on the beach halfway through. I can't imagine they're going to make us climb out of the water?

Originally, relays were assigned to the first wave, which I though was good. They've been moved to the second wave with the 25-29 year old men. Not so thrilled about that. Here is Jimby's advice:

"These guys are all going to be sprinting at the outset. I say: rope a dope the jerks, let them thrash away, kick each other in the head, use up all their testosterone in underwater fisticuffs, and the other standard triathletic strategies.

Start on the outside of the pack. It is not worth getting kicked on swum over or otherwise pummeled. They will exhaust themselves quickly, then you can tortoise-and-hare the mfkr's good. ...

So this distance is 2112 yards, assuming you swim straight, which is almost impossible to do perfectly. Imagine you were racing this distance in a pool. Would it EVER make sense to go out really fast at the beginning? Personally, I don't think so. Once you get lactate, it's hard to get rid of the stuff. Again, let the brutes battle it ..."

Updated September 15th, 2009 at 12:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Team Practice, Sunday, Sept. 13

by , September 13th, 2009 at 01:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam with Mason today. I really liked the workout:

Warm up:

500 swim
    200 kick
    200 IM drill
    100 fly drills
    100 scull

I skipped the pulling and did:

6 x 50 kick w/fins @ :45

Main sets:

12 x 25 @ :40 w/fins
    3 fast UW + 1 EZ

Went 10s. Slammed my hand on the first one. I have to start decelerating before the flags on these.

6 x 75 @ 1:15
    2 of each stroke, used fins

I didn't pay too much attention to my times on these, though I was working them fairly hard. My flys were 42s. I thought my last free was 38, but that seems pretty quick.

100 EZ

4 x 150 kick @ 2:45 (no fins)

I kicked backstroke and went 2:11s or so on all of them.

50 EZ

4 x 150 stroke @ 2:20

I did backstroke w/fins and went approx. 1:42, 1:43, 1:44, 1:44. I was pacing with Brad who was swimming free. He dropped me like a bad habit on the last one.

250 EZ

Total: 3800

Chatted in and out of hottub.

Heading to the tri store with Mr. Fort today to buy him some warm bike gear for the tri. Probably just do RC work later.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11

by , September 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I woke up rather tired today, but dragged myself off to the gym this afternoon and got going pretty quickly. I had a much longer time to work out as my little one was at a playdate. So I got in a pretty major workout, which I'm sure I'll feel tomorrow. And I didn't have to skimp on RC exercises! I increased weight on most exercises and skipped the pushing and pulling today.

Weights/Dryland:

10 minutes on bike to warm up

bicep curl w/BB, 30 x 1 x 15, 40 x 2 x 15
    leg extensions, 90 x 3 x 15
    seated leg curls, 110 x 3 x 15
    HS rear delt fly, 85 x 3 x 12
    overhead tricep press w/BB, 30 x 3 x 15
    goblet squats, 60 x 3 x 15
    cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 2 x 15, each side
    decline reverse crunches, 3 x 25
    plyo: 2 forward lunges + broadjump, 1 x 15
    reverse knee flexion on Free Motion hamstring machine, 15 x 5 x 10 each leg
    (did this laying down, with foot in strap, pulling knee to chest)
    lying leg raise w/weight on double cable free motion machine, 50 x 2 x 15
    (lie on back, hook cable handles around shoes, pull down, slowly lift legs up and lift ass off the ground, lower and pull legs down against weight)

RC work:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 3 x 25
    chops on yoga ball w/handweights, 2 x 15 with thumbs down and 2 x 15 with thumbs up
    scapular wall slide, 2 x 25
    overhead med ball toss on wall, 2 x 50

stretch 15 minutes

ate a balance bar and headed to the pool ...

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Put on my 2XU today. It seemed to fit very well, and I didn't mind the sleeves at all. (I know some OW swimmers hate them.) It's also a little strange feeling some water swooshing in the wetsuit. Only had time for a quick workout, and I was pretty tired from yesterday's workout and today's long weight session:

500 warm up

8 x 100 @ 1:40

50 EZ

200 fly drills

200 goswim free drill that Quick posted

200 scull

50 EZ

Total: 2000 meters

Note: I was going much faster in these 100s than I did the last time I did 100s on this interval with the same perceived level of effort.

Weekly totals:

Swim: 5x (15,200)
    Weights/dryland: 4x
    Run: 1x

Looking forward to my scheduled day off tomorrow. Having a big birthday party at the house for Mini Fort, cross country met and soccer game for Lil lil Fort, so no time to work out anyway.

The plan for next week is to work S-M-T and then take it a bit easier the next 3-4 days. I'm feeling pretty beat up from drylands and don't want to swim a long race super tired from weights. Oddly, though I absolutely thrashed my legs this week with weights and kicking, my shoulders feel more sore than the legs ...

I was reflecting today that a year ago I almost quit weights because I was always so sore. By comparison, I now feel like a gym rat!

Updated September 12th, 2009 at 10:54 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  19. Swimming with Speedo, Thursday, Sept. 10

by , September 10th, 2009 at 08:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Traveled to Mason today to swim with Speedo -- the teammate I never get to train with because he prefers the 4:45 am sessions with Coach Distance.

SCY/Swim:

Today, we did a power sprint workout thusly:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 50 free @ 45

10 x 25 shooters @ :30
    (5 belly, 5 back)

50 EZ

Nasty Ass Power Kick Set:

5 x 100 w/~30sec between, done by 25s as:

*** Push off, kick 12-13 high cycle SDK's surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick);
    *** at the first wall finish hands first and go immediately into a 10 second all out kick against the wall (painful);
    *** Stop, then backstroke start (no blocks today ), 12-13 high cycle SDK's then cruise backstroke (no overkicking for me on backstroke, don't like it), race finish touch on the opposite wall;
    *** immediately start 3rd 25 doing forward "V" sit scull (NOT on your back, feet out of the water looking toward the opposite side sculling, body in a V with ass toward the bottom of the pool and back toward wall). As previously indicated, Speedo totally cheated on these!
    *** At the final wall when your feet touch pull into the wall then explode with 12-13 high cycle SDK's and then easy free to wall.
    *** 15 wall ups + 50 bicycles (Pete didn't look too happy starting these, though he was very gung ho on the wall ups.)

At the time, this didn't seem nearly as nasty as the last time I did this set. You do get to recover some on the sculling part. However, I'm feeling rather thrashed now, so I think I am feeling the effects. I'm sure Pete is fresh as a daisy and plowing through his one hour Lezak routine tonight. :-P Or, perhaps he feels as thrashed as me and will content himself with one of his specialty beers. I know I'm having some pinot tonight.

100 EZ

Sprint Set:

8 x 25 AFAP w/fins + 25 EZ @ 2:00

7 free
    1 back shooter no fins

Unlike me, Pete actually looked at the clock. He was going mid 11s on free, so I think I was a high 10 or 11.0 or so. The first 5 felt pretty good. Felt like I was petering out and having sloppy breakouts on #6-7. Switched to a back shooter on the last one. Went 15. I cramped some during these; need to order Leg Cramps.

300 EZ

Total: 2800

15 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

I feel like I did a lot more yardage than I actually did ...

Doing the power kick/dryland set right before the speed set made for a hard workout. I think if you really wanted to focus exclusively on sprint speed, it might be better to do the 8 x 25s as a separate workout. On the other hand, it's good to get used to going fast when you're tired. And halfway through the 25s, I definitely felt tired. I tried not to whine as Pete, like most speedy Mason masters and unlike Hulk (;0), is not a whiner. But I suspect he was secretly puking in the locker room after our practice, though he professed to be rushing off to go back to work. He did concede that doing this set regularly would improve his kicking and racing.

Pete and I briefly discussed Cross Fit, strength etc. He mentioned that he had overheard a lifter in the weight room comment that is was desirable to do both power lifting and speed working on the same day in the weight room. Apparently, mixing a workout this way, enhances both power and speed more effectively. We were hoping Q or Jazz could comment on that ...

This was interesting to me as I've been planning on doing both power and speed lifting the next few months (and not periodizing it like Lezak). But it hadn't occurred to me to do both in the same session.

OK, feeling a bit . Shoulder has been cranky the last couple days so I am doing 3 x 10 minutes of icing tonight a la Hulk.

Oh, one of our new teammates was there training at lunchtime. He's young and pretty fast. He looked in awe of Pete when I said he was the fastest freestyler on our team and told his times!

Wetsuit:

My 2XU arrived in the mail today. I think I'll try it on tomorrow. It is ridiculously heavy and fat and squashy. Tomorrow, I plan to hit the weight room in the am and then go to Mason to swim in it. The other pools I frequent are just too warm.

I love that it says "max buoyancy" right on the suit.

Med Ball in the pool:

This looks really really hard.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPAXAYq_T-w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Faster Fast Sprint Freestyle Training for Explosive Speed & Power with Richard Quick, Brett Hawke and Bryan Karkoska[/ame]

Updated September 11th, 2009 at 08:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  20. Wednesday, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2009 at 07:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Zen Run:

Was super busy today. Only had time for a 45 minute zen run during a beautiful late afternoon while my littlest was at jazz dance. Will do stretching and RC tonight.

Had my GI consult today. Endoscopy is scheduled for next Tuesday. I will be given the "Michael Jackson" sedative. lol If it's an ulcer, it was almost certainly caused by NSAIDs or pylori bacteria. I did use a lot of NSAIDs for a few years while battling tendonitis/shoulder problems. If it's the pylori, I'll have to go on antibiotics and be "really sick" for 10 days, according to the doc. Oh joy. That could interfere with my Fall Ball plans. But I'll enter the meet anyway. On the upside, all my blood work and tests show I'm in great health -- perfect blood pressure, great cholesterol (with high HDL -- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001), low resting pulse, etc.

Kick Ass Kick Set:

Tomorrow, I'm swimming with Speedo at noon. Among other things, we're going to do a nasty Tall Paul I haven't done in awhile:

In a 25yd pool, 100's as follows:

- Push off on the opposite side of the starting blocks, kick 7-11 SDK's surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick)
    - at the first wall finish hands first and go immediately into a 10 second all out kick against the wall.
    - Stop, then grab the backstroke start bar and go into a back start, 7-9 SDK's then cruise backstroke with a strong 6 beat kick (overkick)...race finish touch on the opposite wall
    - immediately start 3rd 25 doing forward "V" scull (on your back, feet out of the water looking toward the opposite side sculling)
    - At the final wall when your feet touch pull into the wall then explode with as many SDK's back as you can go before taking a breath then easy free to wall.

Savageman Swim Details:

Here are the swim details for the Savagemen Half Iron:

Water Temperature and Wetsuits
    The water temperature at Deep Creek Lake on September 20 is expected to be around 69 degrees. Wetsuits are allowed and encouraged.

Swim Course
    The swim course uses an in-water swim start from the park's large swim beach and is a long narrow rectangular course that stays near the Deep Creek State Park shoreline. The swim courses are diagramed in the swim map and video flyover of the swim courses are available on the swim course pages of the SavageMan website.

A combination of large, colored inflatable buoys and smaller, white buoys will mark the swim course. Buoys are to be kept on your right at all times and the large, inflatable buoys will be different colors for the way out and the way back to ease navigation. Both Half-Iron and International courses share the same course to the swim turnaround at a large green inflatable turtle at the State Park Road bridge and then back to the beach area. The International course will turn directly in to the swim exit around a specially marked buoy when the swim returns to the north beach, while Half-Iron course continues straight to a final turn around a very large, floating "signature" buoy before returning to the swim exit at the north beach. Interspersed between the large, inflatable buoys will be smaller white buoys every 60 meters with strobe lights attached to aid sighting and provide a straight line to follow.

If for any reason you are having difficulty, roll on to your back and wave a hand in the air. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, take your swim cap off and also wave that in the air. A boat will come immediately to assist you.

Swim Waves - Tentative Schedule
    There will be four waves for the SavageMan Half-Iron and three for the SavageMan International, each with approximately 100-120 participants.

SavageMan Half-Iron Waves
    Wave 1 (Half): 8:30 AM (red): Elites, Athenas, Relays, All Females
    Wave 2 (Half): 8:37 AM (ivory): M30-39
    Wave 3 (Half): 8:44 AM (orange): M40+
    Wave 4 (Half): 8:51 AM (dark green): M15-29, Clydedales, Aquavelo
    SavageMan International Waves
    Wave 5 (Intl): 9:30 AM (day glow green): M15-39, Clydedales, Relays
    Wave 6 (Intl): 9:37 AM (silver): F40+, M40+, Athenas
    Wave 7 (Intl): 9:44 AM (pink): F15-39

I have no idea if this wave order is normal. Do women usually go before the men and with the elite pros?

Updated September 9th, 2009 at 10:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running