http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Backstroke Starts, Sunday, Aug 2

by , August 2nd, 2009 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hulk Advice:

Here is some backstroke start advice I received today from our beloved, but swim deprived, Hulk:

1) Initiate the start with your hands by throwing them back as fast as you can;

2) Focus your eyes on your hands. That will get your head back and put you in a good arch position;

3) Throw your hips and feet up as you leave the wall to create a good entry line;

4) Pull up not forward, that's the key re: position, you want to set your shoulders and hips in the same vertical line.

5) A great drill for this is take your starting position, then just let go of the wall, don't push off, just let go, your first motion should be out from the wall not down, if you're going down, then you are curling up too much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, armed with this advice and wearing my B70, I did the following "workout:"

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety warm up

3 x 100 back, easy speed @ 2:00

50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 30 = 1 backstroke start to 15 meters and easy swim back. rest and repeat.

I have been meaning to do some starts with a B70 for a long time. But I always seem to rush out without it in tow. As a result of being a bit of a moron about this, I'm somewhat inconsistent on my starts.

14 SDKs = too far, past 15 meters
    13 SDKs = can be too far unless I have a shallower start
    12 SDKs = 15 meters or just short

So I'm going to just stick with 12 SDKs to be safe. The depth of my starts really varied. There were a couple that I felt I really nailed in terms of going through the hole, good depth etc. However, on those starts, I had some trouble getting up and to the 15 meter mark in 12 SDKs. I guess I'm just not used to doing the classic "checkmark."

My last backstroke start, which was my 50 back at Zones in April, was rather shallow and I think I took 13 SDKs. I just need to work on this in the future to become more consistent. I have become better at pulling up, not forward, and not curling up like I used to. Just need to get the check mark and SDK count to auto pilot.

Anyhoo, after that rousing fun (for which I was grateful to have my own lane!) ...

100 EZ

4 x 15 "bursts" and cruise back

(I didn't mean these to be bursts. I intended to do a 50 back AFAP with fins and B70 to compare to fins and poly tank. But my f'in fins kept falling off. Hate this flexy brand.)

50 EZ

1 x 50 somewhat fast backstroke w/weanie dolphin kick to prevent fin fall off, 23.5ish

50 EZ

4 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x (25 fast free w/fins + 50 EZ)

200 EZ

Total: 2100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Thoughts:

Kinda tired after that effort. Might have done too much. Will be MUCH more slothful the next few days. Hoping to summon enough energy tonight to do my RC exercises and stretch. Feeling really lazy today. Seeing my ART doc for a last tune up tomorrow afternoon.

Had some water gushing down the front of my B70. Might be a bit stretched out on top. Fluck. Did anyone notice that in the interview after the Men's 400 medley relay today that it looked like Dave Walter's skin was actually sliced from his Arena suit?

I checked my itinerary for Indy. I arrive on Wed. at around 2:00. There is a team practice scheduled at the swim center from 4:45-6:00. I had to inform my wonderful Coach Chris that I would be doggie paddling, not "practicing." Methinks he is not used to coaching drop dead sprinters.

I am somewhat cross about the warm up and meet start times being moved up. Anti-night owl bias, no doubt. I will at least get to sleep in on Friday since I, boo hoo, can't compete in the 50 breast and don't swim until the 100 back.

I was also wondering somewhat about breathing for the 50 fly. I always try to breath as little as possible on a 50 fly. I think that's best in yards, but I wonder if I might be better off taking a couple more breaths in LCM? Since my dolphin kicking has improved, my breathing seems more natural ... and it certainly worked in the 100 fly. I wish Cream Puff hadn't left us so she could tell me what he did when she popped off that 28.7 that I hope will appear in the FINA rankings ... I was told that Dara Torres took 9 breaths when she set the AR in the 50 fly at WCT.

Updated August 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. RC + Happiness in Fortland, Saturday, Aug. 1

by , August 1st, 2009 at 08:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC work:

Had to go to the gym this afternoon cuz I was too lazy to do my exercises last night:

3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    overhead chops, 2 x 25
    reverse chops on yoga ball, 2 x 25

10 minutes stretching
    10 minutes steam room

Here's another RC exercise that Jazz sent me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcRFBFuo-c"]YouTube - Scapular Wall Slide - Shoulder Mobility - Nutrex Solutions[/ame]

I'm wiped out. Spent many hours at the NVSL All Star meet today in the heat and sun. But there is happiness in Fortland because Mini Fort won the 50 breaststroke. She went about 5 seconds faster than her prior mono times this season.

Last year, I saw one LZR at this meet. This year, it was a sea of Pros, LZRs and B70s. The kids all love them.

I still have no idea how kids swim in these ridiculously shallow pools ...

Am really pissed b/c I rushed out without DVR-ing swimming on NBC and I don't get universal sports. Edit: I apparently DVR'd the swimming "series" so was able to watch.

Updated August 1st, 2009 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Friday, July 31

by , July 31st, 2009 at 06:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 shooters on back

Speed work:

4 x 25 build free

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = 2 UW flutter, 2 doggie paddle, 2 free
    50 EZ after each set of 3

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins (24ish)

200 EZ

Total: 1800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may head to the gym later to do the dreaded RC exercises and sit in the steam room. My shoulder is finally feeling better. That 100 fly set me back for awhile, as I knew it would. Or I may succumb to taper laziness and attempt to do them at home.

Taper bitchies have definitely hit. I had tantrums over lost keys, ungrateful child, printer not working, etc.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Well, sort of, I am going to the All Star meet, which I hope goes well so there is no ensuing drama. lol.

I also need to get my act together over Nats a bit. I haven't even looked at the timeline. Ande would be appalled!

I did purchase some back up goggles and a new suit today. No, not a tech suit. Just a run of the mill practice suit. It's the Nike cut out suit. First Nike suit I've ever had, but it seemed to fit well. And it's light blue -- the THT color!

Updated July 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Thursday, July 30

by , July 30th, 2009 at 05:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Dragged myself to the gym to do RC exercises today. Didn't want to leave it until the evening for fear of taper induced sloth and ennui.

RC:

external and internal rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15
    some other damn exercise I don't know the name of but has a chopping motion

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

8 x 25 UW shooters on back

50 EZ

Speed work:

5 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 50 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 24ish

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

1 x 100 backstroke AFAP w/fins
    went 53.5-54ish. my fastest in practice.

100 EZ

Total: 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! A break from the frenzy of my life is upon me. Mr. Fort is leaving tomorrow am for a family thing in Syracuse NY. He is taking Fort Son (bribed with a trip to Cornell to meet the crew coach) and Lil lil Fort. I have Mini for All Stars on Saturday, but then she is leaving for a week at the beach with some family friends that night. I forsee being able to sit on my ass and eat bon bons.

Lost my sleep mojo some last night. Little one woke up at 3:30 am and I had trouble falling back to sleep. Still hopeful for max sleep tonight.

BTW, I did faithfully take melatonin for 4+ months like Dr. Miller advised. It did not do one damn thing for me! As is typical for me, I've tried many many things to get a good night sleep. Gawd, getting old sucks!

Starting to get excited for Nats. Need to shift into "straight vicious" mode according to my son.

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Really looking forward to my evilstroke leg on the mixed medley relay too. hahaha. Also looking forward to resuming running as my bod feels like a blob of gelatinous goo without it. Just another reason for full body suits!

Updated July 30th, 2009 at 06:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  5. Sleep is F'in Awesome!, Wednesday, July 29

by , July 29th, 2009 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did a workout that I did about a week before Auburn.

Warm up:

400 swim
    150 kick
    150 fly drills
    3 x 25 build
    25 EZ

Speed work:

Felt like I had slightly increased DPK & DPS on these.

50 EZ

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins
    Went 24ish, my fastest practice time ever. But I did go past the 15 meter mark on the first 25.

150 EZ

1 x 50 dolphin kick on back AFAP
    Went 23ish, mistimed turn

150 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 C/D

Total: 1900

ART

30 minutes of ART for some body work. I bought a tube of traumeel. I've tried many topical creams before, and thought they were all ineffective. This one seems to work and penetrate into the shoulder capsule. Of course, it could just be the placebo effect too, as it is with so many things ...

My chiro noticed I was congested, and my throat has been swollen too. Apparently, there is some mold spore going crazy at the moment. That would certainly explain my reaction as I'm allergic to mold too.

Didn't feel too bad in the water today. Didn't feel too sluggish from the deep tissue. And didn't have that "feel like crap" taper feeling yet. I'm wondering if this has been countered somewhat by the increased/better sleep? Just had my 3rd night in a row of 8 hours of sleep. Very odd stuff. I don't even have the taper bitchies yet! On this note, my doc told me to stop taking B complex vitamins, as that can contribute to insomnia.

I'm thinking of lending my kid my speed suit for All Stars this weekend. After Chris' and Hulk's suit thefts, I'm a little leery of this though ... I do know many swimmers will be clad in B70s/LZRs. My B70 has also seen some use now. If the suits are legal until May 2010 or so, I may get a new B70 at Nats.

Updated July 29th, 2009 at 09:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  6. Tuesday, July 28

by , July 28th, 2009 at 04:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights Lite:

bench press, 50 x 3 x 8
    HS hi row, 70 x 2 x 10
    internal and external rotators on cable machine, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 3 x 25
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

I'm done with all weights and core now. Will only do RC work until Nats.

Swim/Solo/SCM:

Swam in hot outdoor gym pool. No backstroke attempted. Mellow recovery workout. There wasn't even a pace clock on deck.

Warm up:

650 swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

10 x 25 UW shooters

10 x 50 flutter kick w/board

50 EZ

16 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = EZ

150 C/D

Total: 2000 meters

Massage

Got a deep tissue massage today. She really worked over the calves and mid back area. I blame the mid back tightness on fly.

I managed to dig up my official split request form and documentation and PDF them to Mary Beth Windrath. I'm lucky I found them, usually I don't hold onto things like that. Lesson learned. She still had had no response from the Southeastern TT Recorder. But will include my 100 back time b/c of my back up documentation. Right now, I'm tempted to not swim in the Dixie Zone region since two different TT recorders couldn't do their job. Geez.

Looks like tech suits will be legal until May 2010. Happy about that. Think FINA should regulate rather than punting. Plus, Rocket Science does not accept returns (check website carefully!). So I am the owner of the Sprinter suit, which I'll have to give a spin this fall.

Got another good night's sleep. But have been feeling groggy during the day. Hope this side effect goes away.
  7. Monday, July 27

by , July 27th, 2009 at 08:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Transition set:

6 x 75
    25 UW shooter on back + 25 feet first scull + 25 easy speed fly

50 EZ

Speed work:

3 x (100 broken backstrokes w/ fins, 15 second rest at 50, + 200 EZ)

Went 26/29 (kid interruption on second 50), 26/27-28, 26/27

50 EZ

2 x (AFAP 50 w/fins + 100 EZ)
    went 25 on fly, 22-23 on dolphin kick shooter

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    3 fast free, 2 fast flutter kick shooter

125 C/D

Total: 3050

Didn't feel the greatest. Kinda tired afterward from the sprinting. I may need to shift into super loafing mode. I've sort of lost track of how close Nats is ... I barely know what day it is lately ... thought it was Tuesday most of the day ...

I can't wait to swim in my pool without all the loud nasty interfering children --- why, they're enough to make a person want to have a vasectomy! One kid just walked off with my fins today.

Did get a second good night sleep in a row. Was very busy today and have some running around to do tomorrow wrt All Stars. That meet is a zoo. I'm just hoping I can at least watch my kid. I hate it when grown adults insist on saving seats for 24 hours and won't budge to let others watch their kids race. I can forsee the need to be f'in beech ...

The food front is pretty much the same. I've just been eating a bit more pasta and some sandwiches instead of salads for lunch. I've tried switching my glass of chard to the dinner/happy hour. That just makes me tired all evening ...

Mini Mono and I are going to get pedicures and massages together tomorrow. I've been babying her more than usual.

Updated July 27th, 2009 at 09:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Sunday, July 26

by , July 26th, 2009 at 05:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 swim, kick
    200 fly drills

Main sets:

16 x 25 4 point shooters

50 EZ

20 x 25
    evens easy speed-fast fly
    odds easy

50 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP w/fins+ 200 EZ)

2 50 backs = 25ish
    1 50 dolphin kick on back = 22-23

5 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

C/D 125

Total: 3100

Need to do some stretching and RC work tonight.

Took a rest day on Saturday. Had a good day at Divisionals and now only one week left of summer swim!

Didn't go to Mason today (and who knew Speedo would show?!). Didn't want to swim with the super fast intervals. I may go on Tuesday and swim in a slower lane just to get some LC work in. Or else I'll swim at the 12-2 lunch hour session. The pool closes for the rest of August on Aug 3.

And, more importantly, I slept for a solid 8 hours last night for the first time in about 2 years. Uh, life is different with uninterrupted sleep. I just hope it continues.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Friday, July 24

by , July 24th, 2009 at 07:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/RC:

standing lat pulldown, 75 x 3 x 10 fast
    prone scapular scrunches w/5 lb weights, 3 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 2 x 25
    elevated crunches, 2 x 25
    dead bug on bosu, 2 x 15
    (going to do some arm extensions tonight)

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up

Aerobic sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back

20 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = flutter kick w/board
    evens = backstroke, smooth & working on breakouts

50 EZ

Speed set:

8 x (4 x 25), no interval
    #1 = easy speed fly
    #2 = EZ
    #3 = AFAP free
    #4 = EZ

200 C/D

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ran into my PV buddy, NuthinBut50s, who was working out in the adjacent lane. He does his speed work very differently from me. He doesn't do any recovery swimming when doing his fast 25s. He just blasts away on a 1:15 or so interval, to get a 1:4 or 1:5 swim to rest ratio. In contrast, I always use a 1:3 or 1:4 or more ratio of sprint swimming to recovery swimming. It seems to hard to me to do AFAP 25s without some easy swimming in between ... But it was interesting that we interpreted the prescribed ratios so differently.

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day for me, which is good as we have the Divisional Championships and Team Dinner taking up the bulk of the day. No driving -- we're hosting the meet at our pool.
  10. Thursday, July 23

by , July 23rd, 2009 at 09:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Squeezed in a short workout between very long trips out to MD. Circumstances were not ideal: backstroke flags down, only 4 lap lanes, huge teenage boys crashing off the diving board and dousing 2-3 lap lanes with tremendous splashing and I forgot my fins. Going to try to go at 4:00 pm tomorrow and hopefully try to avoid some of that.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Main sets:

20 x 25 UW shooters
    odds belly, evens on back

50 EZ

2 x (5 x 50)
    #1-3 cruise free
    #4 fast kick
    #5 EZ

50 EZ

10 x 75 (25 AFAP + 25 EZ + 25 scull)
    AFAPs = 2 free, 2 back, 2 fast flutter kick shooters, 2 fast doggie paddle, 2 free)

150 C/D

Total: 2700

I think in the future I may have to find a LCM meet other than Nats to taper for. An early August meet is just not the greatest timing for me given that late June and July are my busiest time of the year. I didn't even sit down until 11:30 pm last night and had to get up at 5:30 am. Couldn't really sleep much. My post-Nats project is to attempt to get that under better control.

My Mini Mono Fort swam her very last JO final tonight. (She's skipping the 200 events.) She was way off her time, but gutted out a good finish, and I was proud of her.

Updated July 24th, 2009 at 10:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Weights + Relays, Wednesday, July 22

by , July 22nd, 2009 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Only time for weights today ... I hope I can swim tomorrow between drives out to Laurel MD. The balancing act has been a little shaky the last couple days!

explosive lifting:

bench press, 50 x 3 x 8
    standing lat pulldown, 90 x 3 x 10
    total ab machine, 90 x 2 x 15
    alternating hammers, 12.5 x 30
    fast bands

elevated crunches, 2 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15
    straight arm seated dips, 3 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25

stretching

Briefly scanned the preliminary Relay TT results. Our small team squeezed out quite a few from Zones. Don't care if I'm a bad ass braggy triathlete, I'm psyched about it! Go GMUP!

#1 Women's 35+ 400 medley relay
    #2 Women's 25+ 200 medley relay (with 3 over 40s and one uber evilstroker)
    #3 Mixed 25+ 200 medley relay
    #9 Mixed 35+ 200 free relay

Women's 45-49 results are at http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php.

Mary Beth Windrath is trying to retrieve my times in the 100 backstroke. Since the Auburn results were in fact submitted on a timely basis, I am cautiously hopeful that my 100 back split request will be retrieved and count. Remains to be seen. The times from the Cary NC meet appear not to have been submitted at all despite the language of the entry form. If they don't submit the times, they vanish into the Cream Puff Times Dust Bin.

I've really been too busy to look at the TT list caerfully. However, I did notice that I was ranked higher in the 100 fly than the 50 fly ... Does this mean I'm not an absolute drop dead sprinter? lol

And 50 breast -- #11! hahaha

Updated July 22nd, 2009 at 10:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  12. Tuesday, July 21

by , July 21st, 2009 at 10:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did three round trip drives to Mason today, as Mini Fort decided to attend a LC practice before JOs and I wanted to get a LC practice in as well. At least the traffic wasn't as bad as usual!

LCM/Team:

500 swim
    500 (50 kick/50 drill)
    3 x 50 build
    1 x 50 scull

(I missed 300 of this chatting and arriving a tad late.)

3 x (4 x 100) @ 1:50
    #1 = 25 fly/50 free/25 fly
    #2 = 25 back/50 free/25 back
    #3 = 25 breast/50 free/25 breast

I worked #1 & #2 and cruised the breast-free ones.

50 EZ

6 x 50 kick @ 1:15
    25 kick w/board + 25 kick on back holding board above head with 2 heads (extremely hard)

50 EZ

9 x 100 freestyle:
    (I did them all backstroke.)

4 @ 1:40 (skipped one, cramp)
    3 @ 1:35 (cruised)
    2 @ 1:30 (skipped one and went fast on the last one with fins. went around 1:10 even having to swim around someone. pretty fast for me on backstroke at the end of practice.)
    150 EZ

Total: 3300 meters (team = 3900)

Random thoughts:

I'm feeling pretty strong in the water at the moment. Wonder if it's the explosive lifting or something else? (More carbs? lol)

Still need more sleep.

Still need to check my taper workouts from last February. I've been operating on pure intuition lately.

I've been just crazy busy lately. I think next week after Divisionals and JOs, life will calm down somewhat. Or at least I hope so.

Going to lift tomorrow.

My teammate wants to know why Jimby is wimping out and not swimming the 800 free against him at Indy.

Really happy Fort Son, my homework minimalist, got a 5 on his AP history exam.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Monday, July 20

by , July 20th, 2009 at 05:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART:

30-35 minutes of ART working on scapular area and calves. Had to do it before swimming, though I prefer it the other way around.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Hypoxic kick set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
    10 SDKs off each wall

50 EZ

Main set with speed work:

2 x through:

1 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00
    1 x 100 backstroke @ 2:00
    50 EZ
    50 back AFAP
    50 EZ
    50 flutter kick AFAP w/board
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    1 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ+ 25 AFAP flutter kick shooter + 25 EZ)

200 C/D

Total: 3100

Off to the last Monday night summer league meet of the season. Hoping it doesn't rain!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  14. Sat & Sun, July 19-20

by , July 19th, 2009 at 09:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday

Feeling a bit jinxed about meets. On Saturday, Mr. Fort left to take the girls to the summer league meet an hour or so from our house for warm up. (I was supposed to follow with my Mom later, as they were both swimming in the second half of the meet.) Unfortunately, he left with both sets of car keys. So I missed both their meet and my own meet. I couldn't get there in time for warm up and positive check in. I was a bit bummed, as I was looking forward to the 100 back. No matter, I'll just see how it goes in Indy.

Did 30 minutes on the indoor cycle and 15-20 minutes of Rc exercises

Sunday:

Weights/dryland:

explosive lifting:
    HS bench press, 50 x 3 x 10
    HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 10
    tricep press, 45 x 3 x 10
    total ab machine, 90 x 3 x 15

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    elevated crunches w/12.5 lb weights, 2 x 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 20
    iron monkey, 1 x 25
    back extensions, 2 x 25

stretching

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 warm up

8 x (4 x 50) @ :55-1:00
    #1 = backstroke kick
    #2 = backstroke
    #3 = flutter kick w/board
    #4 = fly or br drill

#1 & #2 = 10/8 SDK (like Chris, I'm a fan of hypoxic work during taper)
    50 EZ

20 x 25 w/fins
    odds = alternate AFAP free, AFAP flutter kick shooter
    evens = EZ

150 C/D

Total: 3000

Funny note: My son asked for the Hopper Deck for his birthday. Seems like the coach at his rowing camp is a fan of Cross Fit. http://store.thehopperdeck.com/product/the-hopper-deck
  15. Breathing is Good! Friday, July 17

by , July 17th, 2009 at 09:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Survived the 100 fly LC today at Jr. Champs! Whew!

I used the recommended 2 up, 1 down breathing pattern for almost the entire race. Out of force of habit, I had a couple of every others. I think this helped a ton; I felt stronger throughout the race with no disruption of rhythm! I still crashed and burned with 10 yards to go and almost couldn't recover the arms the last couple strokes, but it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. I went 2 seconds faster today unrested than I did last year when I was fully tapered (same suit, same pool). The time board showed 1:12.2, but the time was reported as 1:12.5. Splits were 33.6 and 38.8. Not great, but still vastly better than last year when I split 33/41.

http://www.pvswim2.org/realtime/2009LC_JuniorChamps/

Race highlights:

Had to swim in the final heat in lane 1 due to a couple scratches, which I hate. But I didn't catch any wake.
    Took 11 dophin kicks on the start out to exactly the 14.9 meter mark. Freaked out the poor kid.
    Took a coffee break on the the turn for big air intentionally.
    Floated at least a foot very slowly into the final wall. But I just couldn't bring myself to take another stroke.
    Mini's coaches said I looked very "strong." Mini said my stroke looked "good." (This is more feedback than usual. lol)
    Definitely going to use this breathing pattern again, and will likely try it in SCY. This may actually enable me to kick further in SCY ...

I'm hoping I can make it out to swim my 100 back tomorrow. I spent about 2 and 1/2 hours in the car today going back and forth to the meet. Out A meet tomorrow AM is in Mt. Vernon, so it will be a bit of a rush unless I go straight to U of Md.

Prelim TT:

I saw the prelim TT came out. Unfortunately, I also see that both of the 100 backs I swam during the SCY season -- at the September Shootout in Cary NC and at the Auburn Invitational in Alabama were NOT on the list. I'm ticked about this. Both meet entry forms said the times would be submitted, I had received written confirmation from the meet director that my split request form & time were sent to the TT recorder, and the then DZ TT recorder sent me an email (which I believe I reported on my blog) confirming that she would submit the time. Yet both times are AWOL. I have sent emails to Ed Saltzman (DZ TT Recorder) and Mary Beth Windrath), but I doubt there is much that can be done. If not, I won't be attending meets in the Dixie Zone again. I know Cream Puff has had difficulty getting her USA times submitted as well. I'm just not a fan of incompetence. So while I'm very happy with my 100 fly time from today, this was kind of a downer. But I guess I know what I swam.

Updated July 18th, 2009 at 02:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  16. Thursday, July 16

by , July 16th, 2009 at 03:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1000 easy
    1000 errands (still time to sprinkle flax seeds on the salad though )

Mom is arriving tonight. Mr. Fort is still out of town. Just found out that Mini Mono Fort is swimming at Sr. Champs tomorrow (after avoiding LC all summer). Yikes, it will be a busy weekend! Sr. and Jr. Champs tomorrow and our last summer league A meet and Junior Champs on Saturday. I'm only swimming the 100 back on Saturday, as I wasn't entirely sure I'd get there from the summer league meet in time for the 50 free (and I technically have Sr. Champs cuts in that).

Tech suits will be in full force, as an article in today's Washington Post noted: http://reachforthewall.com/2009/07/1.../?hpid=artslot. Mini Fort also said there were tons of B70s & LZRs at the All Star Relays yesterday, which is a bit of a departure from what I recall several years ago.

Got a piece of advice from Coach Chris for the 100 fly: breathe 2 up, 1 down the 3rd 25. I have no goals for this event other than to not DQ and to not replicate last years 8 second split differential. But since I don't train for this event, it's always an adventure.

Glad I'm swimming at U of Md this weekend. GMU is closed for an underwater hockey tournament and I don't fancy braving the public pools again this weekend. My wrist is still sore, but much better.

Updated July 16th, 2009 at 04:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wednesday, July 15

by , July 15th, 2009 at 10:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Weights/Drylands:

Quickie weight session while my youngest was swimming.

bench press, 50 x 3 x 10
    seated narrow grip row, 60 or 70 x 2 x 10
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 30
    total ab machine, 80 x 2 x 15
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 20
    seated straight arm dips, 45 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

10 minutes of stretching

The explosive lifting at much lighter weights seemed easy. I'm done with leg weights, as Q suggests. Think I'll lift a couple times, lightly, next week. I've never tapered weights before. I also haven't lifted weights the week before a meet in about a year. Nor have I only rested one day. I guess I'll see how that works out this weekend ...

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic Set:

8 x 100 @ 1:50
    odds backstroke kick
    evens backstroke

Speed work:

3 x (50 AFAP backstroke + 200 EZ)

50 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 C/D

Total: 2950

ART

Went for an ART session right after swimming. As usual, I had an irritated left dorsal scapular nerve. My doc decorated me in pink, blue and black kinesio tape and sent me off to the movies that way. Took my little one to Harry Potter. Now she's a bit scared and having trouble falling asleep -- bad mommy! Still wants me to keep reading Books 6 & 7 though, of course.

Updated July 15th, 2009 at 10:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , ART
  18. Tuesday, July 14

by , July 14th, 2009 at 05:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Got an massage this morning. I wasn't as dreadfully tight or sore as usual. I was told my tightest muscle was the pectine. I've cut back the intensity somewhat the last week, so this wasn't too surprising. I guess I'm effectively on a more gradual 3 week taper plan at his point ... (Checked my blog. I did 5 swims this last week, but 3 were lesser yardage. Lifted 3x, but with fewer exercises and less weight. Did a couple short spins.)

Back to intermittent speed and some lifting tomorrow and then an easy day on Thursday before I try to swim the hardest event I ever attempt (this will be attempt #3) on Friday.

Went for a swim (er, kick) this afternoon. Nothing too taxing after a massage:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Main sets:

3 x (4 x 50)
    kick/drill/swim @ 1:00, scull

10 x 25 UW shooter w/MF on back @ 30
    50 scull
    10 x 25 UW shooter w/MF on left side @ :35
    50 scull
    10 x 25 UW shooter w/MF on right side @ :35
    50 scull
    10 x 25 UW shooter w/MF on belly @ :30

50 EZ

4 x (3 x 50)
    1 & 2 = flutter kick w/baord @ 1:00
    3 = single arm fly drill

100 EZ

10 minutes hot tub

Total: 3250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very quiet night on the home front. Mr. Fort is travelling, Mini is at the swim team dinner for all star relays and Fort Son is at away rowing camp. So I am taking the little one out to get pasta!

I also just realized that I still have my Rocket Science Sprinter suit, which I haven't tried on. This suit it supposed to be 2010 compliant. But who knows what FINA will do in 2010? I'm going to email the company about that issue, since they apparently produced them in reliance on the gradual reduction in neoprene type material that FINA had been contemplating.

Updated July 14th, 2009 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Monday, July 13

by , July 13th, 2009 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from my new iPhone as I sit through yet another swim meet. This meet features the 8 & Under 50 fly ... Definitely good for a few DQs.

Anyway, just made it to the gym today. Didn't do many weights as my wrist is still sore and swollen. Just taped it up.

HS hi row, 90 x 1 x 10, 100 x 2 x 10 (fast)
    overhead tricep press, 20 x 2 x 12
    goblet squat, 40 x 2 x 10
    incline crunches with med ball, 2 x 25
    decline crunches, 2 x 25
    windshield wipers, 3 x 15
    total ab machine, 80 x 1 x 10, 90 x 2 x 10 (fast, this felt ridiculously light)
    straight leg pull down & raise on double cable machine, 1 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, left arm only
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15
    arm chops on yoga ball, 3 x 2 x 15

10 minutes of stretching.

I've decided to go back to eating more traditional carbs. It occured to me that my healthy substitution diet, while super healthy, might be contributing to my fatigue. Don't want to take any chances on more fatigue the next three weeks.

Went to my doc today And complained about my ongoing sleep issues. Trying something different.

Getting a massage tomorrow, which will probably mean a more mellow swim later.

Updated July 14th, 2009 at 05:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  20. Sunday, July 12

by , July 12th, 2009 at 06:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo

700 variety warm up

Main sets:

Kick mountain (w/fins):

1 x 50 dolphin kick on back @ :45
    1 x 100 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:30
    1 x 150 dolphin kick on back @ 2:00
    1 x 200 dolphin kick w/board @ 3:00
    1 x 300 dolphin kick on back (don't know interval, collision, see below)
    1 x 200 dolphin kick w/board @ 3:00
    1 x 150 dolphin kick on back @ 2:00
    1 x 100 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:30
    1 x 50 dolphin kick on back @ :45

50 EZ

4 x (4 x 50), done as:

#1 = 50 drill (2 single arm fly, 2 br w/dolphin kick) @ 1:00
    #2 = cruise free @ 1:30
    #3 = AFAP backstroke w/fins (25ish)
    #4 = easy

100 scull
    100 EZ

10 x 25 shooter w/fins (odds belly, evens back)(moderately fast)
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 (odds easy speed fly, evens EZ DAB)
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 shooter (odds fast shooter no fins, evens EZ)
    50 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3650

Had a nasty collision during the kick mountain. Big kid from a lifeguard class popped up in my lane as I was kicking on my back. Hurt my wrist. Got home and it's very sore and swollen. I am sooo sick of this happening. The weird thing is that whoever just pops into my lane (apparently without looking) acts as if it's my fault when there's a crash. WTH?! If I'm driving down the road, I can't just space out and drift in some other lane. I'm worried I won't be able to lift much this week ... Going to give it ice baths. It keeps swelling more as time goes on.

I skipped my team practice so I could sleep in. I feel a little peppier today. I've also decided I'm done with hard aerobic work. I think I've done a fair amount this summer for a wimpy sprinter and I'm only swimming one 100 and the rest 50s at Nats (even my relays will be 50s). So I'll carry on with some mellow aerobic work and speed work for awhile, then cut back intensity during week one of taper and yardage during week two.

And, so sadly, there will be no 6th event at Nats, so I will not be swimming evilstroke. Haven't looked at the timeline yet, but it appears I may be able to show up at the pool around 3:00 in the afternoon that day!

Checked the psych sheets for Jr. Champs this weekend. I'm seeded 10th in the 100 fly and 5th in the 100 back right next to a couple of Mini-Fort's friends again. I seeded myself .5 slower than my best times as I won't be tapered.

Updated July 12th, 2009 at 08:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts