http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14

by , June 14th, 2009 at 03:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    200 Back LC, 2:47

Well, I survived my first ever 200 LC. And it was a no float 200 back, as B70s are barred at USA-S meets. I guess I'm glad I did it, but I don't care to repeat the experience! It's just waaaay too far unless I start training 5Ks like Ande. I was sort of testing out the event to see if I could/should swim it at Nats. No, I'll opt to get a 50 back split on my 200 at Indy during the first day's events. I will happily embrace my weenie sprinter nature.

Anyway, went a 2:47, which was about half a second slower than my converted time from yards. (I don't always believe converted times are accurate for us geezers anyway.) No idea on my splits, as they only post final times. Think they will probably be pretty dodgy. I tried to swim long and easy speed for about 150, but I still had nothing left the last length -- especially judging by the USA swimmer in the adjacent lane who made up almost a body length on the last length to touch with me. But, frankly, I'll still take the time, as I had a hard exhausting day on Saturday (officiating in the heat at a summer league meet, dance recitals, etc.) and had contemplating not swimming at all today.

And BTW, can these kids learn to do backstroke starts?! I hate being a body length ahead at 15 meters and have them slowly creep up! I also played it safe on the start and took 12 or 13 SDKs, as there was an official sitting in a chair right at the 15 meter mark.

Probably did about 2000+ meters with the warm up and warm down. I didn't even attempt to warm up in the competition pool, as it's such a mosh pit of kids. I got there early and warmed up in the rec pool.

Now, off to the summer pool to vegetate!
  2. Friday, June 12

by , June 12th, 2009 at 04:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Other stuff:

20 x 25
    odds shooter on back
    evens EZ

50 EZ

5 x 100 backstroke @ 2:00
    cruise, focusing on breakouts

100 EZ

1 x 50 fast backstroke w/fins, 24ish, missed turn a bit

100 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 C/D

Total: 2250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After procrastinating forever, I finally wiggled into my one new FINA approved suit and had Mini Fort zip me up. It wasn't as bad as the last aborted attempt, only took about 10-15 minutes. It helps to start with the suit at mid calf. Would have been much easier with two people doing the zipper. But at least it didn't explode. I plan to wear it for one race at the Terrapin Cup.

Think I'm going to rest more and not lift next week. I guess when I start back lifting, I should cut the weight a little this time. lol Oddly, whenever I rest, my shoulders seem to be twitchier. Perhaps it's because I don't do as much RC work since I'm not in the gym. Going to stretch later today.

Food:

Breakfast: yogurt with bare naked granola
    Lunch: salad w/salmon & the works
    Snack: papaya, raspberries & cherries

Updated June 12th, 2009 at 05:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. LCM, Thursday, June 11

by , June 11th, 2009 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Headed to Mason today to get in a short LCM practice. Though I like my regular practice pool just fine, it was a luxury to have 5 digital clocks instead of two (sometimes un-synchronized) pace clocks. Seems to make times and send offs more accurate.

Warm up:

Aerobic set:

10 x 100 @ 2:00 w/fins
    odds backstroke, staying "long"
    evens backstroke kick

I noticed that the 5th set of double lights on the ceiling is the 25 meter mark.

100 EZ

Speed set:

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins from push + 150 EZ)

#1 50 fly, went 28
    #2 50 back, went 29

I believe these are the fastest 50s I've ever done in a LC practice. Very happy to see these times. We'll see what I can crank out next weekend at the Terrapin Cup in these events. LC fly is hard. I had to take 4 breaths on the 50 instead of my usual 2 (maybe 3) in SCY.

100 C/D

Total: 2300

Planning on a short SCY workout tomorrow. Taking Saturday off and deeking kids and whatnot. Will swim in old Pro on Sunday.

I'm actually feeling more tired than I expected after that short practice. Perhaps there is no easy LC practice ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food:

Breakfast: yogurt and "bare naked" granola, cantalope, raspberries
    Snack on way to swimming: Forgot to bring portable food. Found a balance bar and some Luna energy chews in my swim bag
    Lunch: usual salad with the works
    Dinner: Salmon, salad w/works, 2 taquitos
    Snack: crackers

Updated June 12th, 2009 at 07:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10

by , June 10th, 2009 at 06:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pulled a "Patrick" today. Got my kids off to school, then fell back asleep and slept until 10:15. No time to workout as I had appointments, sports chauffeuring, lessons, and the usual "summer swim league practice cancelled mid-way due to lightening" events. Probably just as well. I'm feeling pretty beat up after ART and a deep tissue. Couldn't have done any race pace work. I'm commencing a 3 day mini-taper, which will extend into a longer mini-taper next week. I've become pretty convinced that after 4-5 weeks of hard training, my body needs a recovery week. During SCY season, this is typically, and conveniently, before a meet. I've been going 6-7 weeks since Zones -- it's slightly too much even for a hard core endorphin addict. I need a relative break.

I see the entry deadline for LCM Nationals is approaching. I don't have any clue what to enter for my 200 back. I'm not sure if I'll do it as a 200 or get a 50 back split. I guess more likely that latter, as I'm assuming I'll be blasted by the time the 50 rolls around -- it's practically the last event on day 4. So I guess I should enter a slow time, figuring I will be swimming somewhat slowly the last 150? If I then decide to swim it as a 200, I'm sure I'll be yelled at for sandbagging.

My one workout of the day will be trying on the one FINA approved tech suit I have managed to procure in my size. Mini Fort can do the zipping. Although, frankly, it sounds like FINA is endorsing the anything goes for masters ...

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese & tomatoes, blackberries
    Snack: yogurt
    Snack: banana, sliced mangos
    Snack: 2 bean & cheese taquitos,
    Dinner: cheese & chicken enchiladas, kiwi & blueberries; 10% crap = nachos

I seem to need portable food during the day. If anyone has any suggestions ...

Updated June 10th, 2009 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Bad AM, Good PM, Tuesday, June 9

by , June 9th, 2009 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Not the world's greatest morning ... Verizon Man was visiting the house for the second time in the last week to attempt to regain phone service. (I've barely had any service -- a problem with a 1921 house with an arcane wiring system.) Why do service providers only give you 4 hour windows? Once that was done, I headed out to bring Mini Fort the lunch she forgot. (Probably should have let her starve, but I was a softy as she had swim practice right after school.) As I was headed out from her middle school, I was rear ended by Crazy Lady. Crazy Lady didn't seem to understand the need to hand over her insurance information. Seriously, almost had to call the cops. Then I spent a large portion of the day getting repair estimates, fielding calls from Crazy Lady who suggested she "assist" me by taking my car to be fixed herself, and talking to the insurance company. What a hassle, but such is life sometimes.

The afternoon was much better:

SCY/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

10 x 25 back shooters, no fins

Main sets:

4 x 200 back @ 3:30
    Didn't kill them, just trying to keep an even pace. If anyone has any suggestions for swimming a 200 back LC, happy to hear them. (Unfortunately, I'm in a heat with 2 of Mini-Fort's friends. Her team is not swimming this meet, and in any event, she absolutely cannot swim backstroke so little chance of her being in this event with me.)

50 EZ

8 x 50 flutter kick w/board @ 1:00

50 EZ

16 x 25
    odds fast, 2 of each stroke
    evens EZ

100 C/D

Total: 2750

Wanted to swim about 500 more than that, but had to rush off to a post workout massage. It had been awhile! Had tight glutes, hammies and IT band. I'm using this as an excuse not to stretch this evening ...

Replacement monofin purchased.

I ordered this monofin from swimoutlet: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2183.htm. Thought I'd try this one, as I've been using the Finis Shooter for so long.

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/medium apple, blueberries
    Lunch: Salad w/romaine, pomegranate seeds, crunchy sprouts, avocado, tomato, green onion, currants, chicken; peach
    Snack: balance bar, banana, nectarine
    Snack: yogurt
    Dinner: shrimp, green beans, salad, small scoop of Ben & Jerrys.
    Snack: crackers

Updated June 10th, 2009 at 10:30 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday, June 8

by , June 8th, 2009 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did a bit of a recovery swim today. I realized I did virtually no kicking at my LC practice yesterday, so did mostly kicking today. Just worked on streamlining and efficient kicking on the shooters.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

3 x 200 backstroke kick @ 3:30

10 x 25 UW shooters
    odds on back, evens on belly

3 x 100 backstroke @ 200 pace @ 2:00

10 x 25 UW shooters

3 x (50 fast backstroke kick + 50 EZ)
    (went 25s)

10 x 25 UW shooter

10 x 25
    odds evil @ 100 pace
    evens EZ

100 C/D

Total: 3050

Running:

I've decided to shut down my running for the next 2 months until after LC Nats for the reasons listed in Aquageek's blog and in one of Ande's latest SFF tips 261, [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=182382&postcount=1220"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster[/ame].

The pollen and heat mean my runs would not be very productive or contribute much to training. If I want to cross train, I'll likely spin. I've also concluded that I get more "bang for the buck" putting in time at the gym than going on shortish slow runs. If Jazz weren't taking a break from blogging, I'm sure he'd smile.

I'll re-start after LC Nats.

Chiro Visit:

Got a tune up today. Diagnosis: tight and fatigued lats and teres muscles. Not surprising, as I've been training quite a bit. I realized this am that I did 4 gym sessions last week, which is more than my usual 2-3.

FINA vs USMS:

I fear that FINA is going to refuse to recognize USMS times swum between the period of the announcement of its initial approval list (need to check date) and the announcement of USMS's official compliance with the list that is due June 19. If USMS doesn't act before June 21, the date of my meet, the times swum there (and elsewhere around the country) could be useless for FINA TT purposes. Clearly, whatever I swim in the 200 back on Sunday won't count, but will for USMS purposes, I guess. Not a huge deal, as I expect to go faster in Indy. But I have a bad track record with ragweed in August, so you never know ...

If there is no official announcement before June 21, it probably makes little difference what anyone wears at meets that weekend, as Gail Roper noted on the DF. I hope the whole mess is cleaned up soon.

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese, papaya
    Snack: balance bar
    Post swim lunch: turkey & cheese sandwich w/sprouted wheat bread, strawberries
    Snack: blackberries
    Dinner: grilled pork chops, beans, tomato & avocado salad

I foresee many lunches in the car in the upcoming hectic two weeks. This will make my salad routine more difficult.

Updated June 8th, 2009 at 09:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. LCM, Sunday, June 7

by , June 7th, 2009 at 02:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had the pleasure of meeting fellow blogger Katie Webb, who joined our LC practice at Mason today. It's always great to meet fellow forumites, bloggers and master swimmers. She fit right in with our team, and has a very nice looking freestyle.

Warm up:

50 bicycles
    25 side crunches

5 x (150 swim + 50 dolphin kick)
    (I missed 100 of this)

40 elevated crunches

Main sets:

12 x 50 @ 1:00, IM order
    8 SDKs on fly (was going 32 w/fins)
    8 SDKs on back
    8 breaststroke pullouts (NOT)(8?!)
    16 flutter kicks on free

8 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    (I wore fins, never use pulling gear.)

100 EZ

3 x through:

200 IM
    #1 25 scull/25 fast
    #2 25 drill/25 fast
    #3 swim

2 x 50 stroke @ 1:05

50 EZ

Speed work:

3 x (25 AFAP off blocks + 75 EZ)

I did 3 x (50 fast UW shooter w/MF + 50 EZ)
    I pushed off on my back for 2 and went 24s.
    Did one diving off side on belly and went 23

50 EZ

Total: 3750 meters

15 minutes hottub & ice
    Chatted with a teammate about the B70s issue. He told me he had heard that B70 sued FINA.

Cheryl told me that the MAKO and GMU's college team did some 50 meter MF shooters this week. Most of the college kids who tried them went 22s. But Sean Fletcher (bound for Michigan in the fall) went an 18. 18!! Holy crap, that's fast. Not sure if they were using the finis shooter MF or the longer ones.

Unfortunately, I got home and saw that my MF had a crack in it. Not sure how it got there. So I will have to order a new one pronto.

May go to the gym later today, if I can fit it in. Will update later if I do.

Mr. Fort went on his second 60 mile bike ride with some serious cyclists this am to prepare for Savagemen. He came home and asked me when I was going to start training? WTH?

Food:

Fell off the wagon a tiny bit yesterday as we were having a barbecue and pool party for Lil Fort's soccer team. I ate a whole wheat hamberger bun, hot dog, and a few chips. Doing fine today though.

Breakfast: oatmeal, apple
    Post swim snack: G2, balance bar
    Lunch: tomatoe & cheese sandwich on sprouted wheat bread, watermelon, raspberries
    Dinner: flank steak, mahi mahi, asparagus roasted with garlic & olive oil, tomatoes
    Snack: cheese & sesame crackers

Weights/Drylands:

Snuck off to the gym while 2 kids were at the summer swim league pool and 1 was at a dance recital rehearsal. I just wanted to do a few weights and get in my RC and stretching. My shoulder's been somewhat finicky lately. Other bits and parts are protesting some too. (My thumb and wrist on my right hand were sore, but I stopped doing push ups and chin ups this week, and now it's fine.) I'm really overdue to go the my chiro. I won't such a long time lapse before my next visit.

tricep press, 60 x 1 x 5, 70 x 2 x 8
    hi lat row, 140 x 1 x 5, 160 x 1 x 5, 190 x 2 x 8
    leg press, 330 x 1 x 5, 350 x 3 x 8
    wood chop squat on flat part of bosu, 35 x 2 x 15
    foward lunges w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 20
    incline crunches w/10 lb weight above head, 2 x 25
    decline crunches w/10 lb DB at feet, 2 x 15

RC work:

arm extensions, 3 x 6 x 15
    prone scapular scrunches w/elevated feet and 5 lb hand weights, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    cavic fly drill on yoga ball w/3 lb hand weights, 2 x 25

15-20 mintues of stretching

I tried one thing mentioned in Dara's Book. Her original resistance trainer Bob Cooley discovered his resistance stretching technique when he was sitting on the floor, legs in a V, touching his chest to the floor. He could do this more easily if he contracted his leg muscles while stretching. I tried this, and the second stretch did seem easier. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the resistance stretching must be done with a trainer.

Tech Suit:

Very frustrating. Ordered a TYR this week, and just got a call that they're, in fact, out of stock in my size.

Updated June 8th, 2009 at 08:37 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. MF @ LCM, Friday, June 5

by , June 5th, 2009 at 04:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Decided to steal a page out of Chris' book and head to a LCM pool for some work on SDKs and streamlining. So drove out to Mason with my MF for lunchtime lap swim.

Swim/Solo/LCM:

Warm up:

Main Set:

3 x through:

6 x 50 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 1:00
    3 x 100 back @ 2:00
    3 x (50 UW shooter w/MF on back + 50 EZ) (these were all around 26s or so)

I attempted to do the 2nd & 3rd rounds of the backstroke sets at 200 pace. Or my own vague notion of what constitutes 200 pace anyway.

The shooters weren't too bad. Definitely helps work on streamlining when you're in a LC pool.

Lordy, the 18 AFAP 25s from yesterday kicked the crap out of me. Just goes to show that a very low yardage workout can be harder (and perhaps more beneficial) than a high yardage workout. I'm taking tomorrow, which is my usual rest day, off.

Food:

Got a message from a friend who is about my size (and maybe more active than me). She says I'm not eating enough. So I'm going to try to eat a lot more of the healthy food I've been eating. So far:

Late breakfast (took am morning nap): oatmeal w/medium apple, banana, peach
    Post Swim snack/lunch in car: G2, balance bar, plum, peach, banana
    Afternoon snacks: omelet w/tomato, mushrooms, bacon and cheese; cheese & crackers
    Dinner: salmon, avocado & tomato salad

Updated June 5th, 2009 at 07:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. New Drylands + Fast 25s, Thursday, June 4

by , June 4th, 2009 at 05:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I decided to try some of the new core exercises from the link I posted yesterday. http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html Nothing wrong with some variety! I just made up names for most of them.

ab roller, 2 x 15

hanging leg circles: hang from pull up bar and make circles with straight legs held together, 2 x 15, one set counter clockwise and one set clockwise

prone crunches: lie on stomach, feet elevated, put hands behind head, crunch up bending back, feet in air while doing this, 2 x 25

prone reverse back bend: on stomach, lift feet toward back in a backbend like motion. You need a flexy lower back for this one. Really works the glutes. 2 x 15

yoga ball knee bend: hold yoga ball only with palm of hands hands. rest of your body is in a modified plank. bring one knee in to touch ball. then switch. 2 x 15

squat swing: squat with a 25 lb weight. then rise, swinging weight to the left overhead in an arc. back to squat and then rise swinging weight to the right overhead. (I really liked this one.)

elevated reverse crunches on bench w/12.5 weight held by feet, 2 x 15

goblet squats w/50 lb DB, 2 x 15

hip hinges w/12.5 lb DBs, 2 x 15, left leg

10 minutes stretching

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had time for a quicky workout, so made it a speed workout.

Warm up:

Speed Work:

20 x 25
    odds, fast backstroke (no fins)
    evens, easy

After about 4 of the fast 25s with appalling breakouts, I realized I needed to concentrate on this.

100 EZ

16 x 25
    odds AFAP free (w/fins)
    evens easy

200 C/D

Total: 1900

Yesterday, I was bummed that all the blocks were gone. Then today, 3 of them were back. Next week, I'm going to bring my B70 and practice some backstroke starts so I can determine exactly how many kicks I can take before I hit the 15 meter mark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chiro Visit Needed:

I've managed to wrench my neck again. Probably from restless sleeping. It started hurting during my swim, and now it's hard to turn my head without pain. My chiro is out of the office until Monday. Did manage to get 30 minutes with my massage therapist tomorrow. I hate neck issues!

My shoulders and traps are pretty sore as well. I think my body is looking foward to taking it easier for 10 days or so beginning the middle of next week. I've been tired lately and clean eating alone doesn't seem to fix this. This is also a super busy time of the year for me with overlapping sports, end of season/year parties, summer swim, finals, etc.

Tech Suit:

Exchanged emails with Rocket Science yesterday. Their sizing is crazy, so beware ladies, if you're interested. They said I'm actually a Youth Medium. Huh? They don't have any suits until the end of June or July, so that suit is out for me. It has the same durable quality as the B70 though.

I've ordered another suit, as I plan to swim in legal FINA approved suits this summer and until the end of the year. Then who knows what we'll swim in? Possibly something from another century ... I'm still annoyed that a durable suit that is easy to get on is likely going to be banned or not approved or whatever. It's a very anti-swimmer, especially anti-masters swimmer, approach to speed suits.

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal, blackberries
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, chicken, peppers, sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, flax seeds, green onion, and currants
    Post weights snack: banana
    Post Swim Snack: balance bar, G2, plum, red grapes
    Dinner: CHEAT: pizza, 3 slices (I was too tired to cook.)
    Late snack: trail mix

Updated June 5th, 2009 at 07:52 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Wednesday, June 3

by , June 3rd, 2009 at 02:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm taking a rest day today.

Core:

Here are some challenging core exercises. I haven't watched all the video, but some of the exercises look fun and could provide a nice break from the standard exercises.

http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html

Here is a blog entry from David Guthrie from the flowswimming site that captures my take on the B70:

Swimming Blogs - David Guthrie

older | newer
    Why I Love My Suit
    David Guthrie | Profile
    May 22, 2009

"One overlooked aspect of the tech suit revolution is that body suits allow swimmers to race faster all season without shaving down. The training model of a sin wave with long deep troughs of fatigue with brief sharp peaks twice a year is not the best recipe for performance. It is far better to develop speed, strength, and conditioning year round than to dig a deep hole and hope that you can climb out of it in time for that one shot at going fast.

Without body suits, swimmers with very much body hair (like me) have the option of shaving or fighting excessive drag. I want to train with increased drag, but not race against it. Training with hair is much better than using a drag suit because hair distributes the resistance over the entire surface of the body, not just in one concentrated area. So I don't want to shave during the season, but I still want to race fast so my body can understand what I'm expecting it to do. Swimming unshaved doesn't provide a very accurate barometer for performance. I recently had a coach who didn't like the idea of wearing body suits during the season. He thought is was like cheating, like shaving without tapering. He thought the times were not valid and that it would somehow take away from the end of season performances. But my philosophy is, if I'm going to stand up on the blocks with a clock running and official results recorded, I'm going to swim as fast as I can. I don't see the point of wearing a drag suit or creating any other handicap during in-season meets, in other words, of intentionally swimming slow in meets. This approach may not produce dramatic end of season drops, but I find it produces faster end of season times. Which would you prefer?

A few decades ago, when the Eastern European programs dominated the scene, they developed a much shorter training cycle of about 6 weeks from peak to peak. The more often they swam fast, the faster they were able to train and perform. They swam fast all year long. This kind of flattened training cycle without the traditional deep fatigue troughs is something we've been seeing more and more of over the past couple of years. The world's leading swimmers can step up and swim fast every time they race. One reason for this trend is that mature swimmers are staying in the sport and their bodies have adapted to the stress of training. They don't dig deep holes and flounder all season, hoping for a miracle at the end of the season. We don't see the dramatic drops at the end of the season tapers like we used to because that model of training is incredibly inefficient. Tapering for elite swimmers is more like fine-tuning, not a full-blown resurrection. Swimming fast often is essential today.

I love my polyurethane suit because it works and it lasts and it allows me to simulate end of season conditions year round without shaving down. Unlike lycra, my polyurethane suit holds up to repeated use, so I can afford to use it all season long (year after year). Are we training to train, or training to race? If you want to race fast, you have to practice racing. The polyurethane suits are infinitely better than lycra. It's kind of amazing that suit manufacturers have been able to get us to buy expensive lycra crap all this time. Talk about planned obsolescence! For decades the industry has sold us expensive lycra suits that were designed to rapidly disintegrate and send us back to buy another one. Lycra soaks up water and loses its effectiveness almost immediately. It falls apart when exposed to chlorine. Duh. Gee, isn't there some other material that would tolerate the aquatic environment better? Of course there is. Polyester and polyurethane are practically indestructible. The problem is that Speedo has borrowed a page from Detroit's book and wants to sell more product by intentionally producing equipment that doesn't last. I just bought a pair of expensive metallic Speedo goggles that started fogging up after three swims. What's up with that? They're in the business of disposable products, that's what. And by that measure, the LZR is their pinnacle achievement."

Tech Suits:

Tried on the XS Rocket Science suit I got in the mail. I was a little skeptical when I realized it looked enormous next to my size 24 B70. And, in fact, it doesn't fit at all; got it on in about 10 seconds. I suspect I was sent a men's size. It's cut very narrowly in the chest area. I gave them my height and approx. weight, so they should have gotten the order right. Returning it.

And another excellent article by David Guthrie on tech suits:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...n%20the%20Suit

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal, banana
    Lunch: "superfood" salad from Whole Food (not sure exactly what's in it, but I recall reading gogi berries, acai, tomatoes, spinach, onions and some other things); yogurt; plum
    snack: peach, frozen custard (my 10% crap)
    dinner: bad -- cheese and crackers around 9:30 pm. wasn't home between 3:00 and 8:30 basically.

Updated June 4th, 2009 at 08:44 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Dryland + Aerobic Swim, Tuesday, June 2

by , June 2nd, 2009 at 06:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Dryland:

rack pull, 135 x 3 x 8
    military press, 40 x 2 x 15 (20 lb DBs)
    elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    reverse crunches w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    planks, 3 x 1:00
    15 superman streamlines on bosu
    forward lunges w/12.5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches w/5 lb DBs, 1 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

plyos:

modified bench hops with hands placed on middle of bench as described last week, 1 x 1:00
    lateral box hops from left to right between two boxes, 2 x 1:00

15 minutes stretching

Note: I think my body is somewhat adapting to the lunging and squating. Hamstrings are still periodically sore, but not nearly as much.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Decided to do an aerobic swim, as I'm feeling fatigued. (I had the 4:30 am swim carpool shift on Monday. It seems like it takes me a few days to recover from that.) Plus, I don't believe I've had a day off in awhile ... I'll have to look back at the blog.

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Aerobic Sets:

40 x 50, done as:

1-10 backstroke @ :50
    11-20 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ :45
    21-30 backstroke @ :50
    31-40 flutter kick w/fins & board @ :45

Took 1:00 rest between sets.

100 EZ
    150 scull
    100 EZ

Total: 3000

Dara Torres Book:

I'm 2/3 through her new book. Like many sports biographies, it's not terribly well written, very breezy and non-substantive. I was hoping it would have more detail. There's virtually no discussion of her non-traditional strength training regimen with the exception that initially (during a "rehab" phase) she was making letter shapes with hand weights while balancing on a bosu. She also states that her new strength training made her very lithe and caused her to lose 10 pounds very quickly, but she doesn't explain why or how. I guess she's keeping these secrets for her post-retirement DVD!

Her training regimen is indeed impressive, comprising 7 hours each day. The resistance stretching is interesting ... it essentially seems to involve contracting muscles while you're stretching to increase both strength and flexibility. A huge amount of time is devoted to stretching, massage and chiro. I had to chuckle when she said she could feel her muscles tightening (after a mashing, no less) as she headed to the blocks for the 50 free in Beijing ... Imagine what she'd think if she lived in our non-pampered masters bodies for a day ...

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms, banana
    Snack: crackers w/hummus
    Lunch: apple, plum, shrimp (while in car, lol)
    Post Swim Snacks: G2, balance bar, blueberries, peach
    Dinner: chicken breast; salad with romaine, peas, sprouts, green onions, green peppers, tomatoes, carrots; kiwi
    Snack:stoneground crackers w/black bean dip

I'm still pretty hungry in the late afternoon. I must not be eating enough at lunch? Or need more snacks?

Updated June 3rd, 2009 at 11:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  12. Short But Nasty, Monday, June 1

by , June 1st, 2009 at 03:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just had time for a short weight/dryland workout and a short swim.

Weights/Dryland:

Used the Paramount double cable machine today. Hadn't used that in awhile. Did:

standing one arm pushes, 35 x 1 x 15, each arm, 30 x 1 x 15, each arm
    reclining one arm tricep press w/elevated legs, 25 x 2 x 12, each arm
    core/leg exercise (lay down on back, head facing machine, put handles of cable under shoe, lift legs then hips up, pull down slowly), 50 x 2 x 15

Then did:

hi lat row
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    180 x 1 x 3
    190 x 2 x 8

goblet squat w/50 lb weight, 2 x 15
    forward lunges w/12.5 DBs, 2 x 20
    crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
    elevated crunches on bench w/ 12.5 lb weight at feet, 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each side
    prone scapular scrunches w/elevated feet & 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

Speed set:

A little bird reminded me that I should probably do some fast 75s for my LC 50s. Took that very sound advice today. I don't usually like 75s much because I can't see the pace clock well at one end. So all times could be slightly off.

10 x (75 backstroke w/fins + 25 EZ)(Swam w/fins as shoulder has been a little twingy since my "endurance fly" set last week.)
    1-5 @ 2:15
    6-10 @ 2:30
    50 EZ after #5
    Went: 46 (still warming up)/43/43/42/41 & 42, 43, 42, 41.5-42, 40.5-41

200 C/D

Total: 1700

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal w/peanut butter, apple
    (Took Patrick's suggestion and added some peanut butter for protein. Can't say I was too thrilled with the taste though.)
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, grilled chicken, green onion, green pepper, sprouts, flax seed, currants, blueberries; quinoa w/chick peas
    Post swim snack: G2, balance bar in car on way home
    Dinner: barbecued shrimp, veggy kebobs w/mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant and pepper, 1/2 slice of delicious 7 grain bread
    (Mr. Fort brought that back from the farmers' market -- along with a cache of other breads and fresh cinnamon rolls. ).
    Snack: plum, trail mix, glass of chard

Updated June 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31

by , May 31st, 2009 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to my team practice. It was rather sparsely attended. Our coach and I had a lane to ourselves. A couple teammates were at the MD State LC meet.

Warm up:

2 x through:

2 x 100 swim
    2 x 50 kick
    200 pull
    100 IM drill

8 x vertical kicking
    20 seconds with hands at shoulders, 10 seconds with arms in streamline position, squat jump off the bottom of the pool, repeat without stopping

Main sets:

250 stroke, descend each 50 (did back, can't remember the intervals for the 250s)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20
    #1 25 backward free, 25 fast free
    (backward free makes me feel very uncoordinated)
    #2 25 dolphin kick, 25 fast free
    #3 25 monkey (), 25 fast free
    250 kick, descend each 50
    (I broke it into 50s. 25 UW shooter w/fins + 25 kick, 5 second break at each 50)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
    250 free, descend each 50
    (I paced off/raced Brad Gandee on this one. Me with fins. This totally kicked my ass, but I had more gas the last 50 than I thought.)
    3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
    (I cheated and did the first two 50s easy, as I was totally gassed.)

100 EZ

4 x 200
    #1 200 IM kick @ 4:30
    #2-4 200 IM @ 3:30

100 EZ

1 x 50 UW shooter on back w/MF

Felt compelled to do this, despite being very tired, as I didn't do it last week and I wouldn't want Chris to think I was a wimp. Went about 80-85% because I was a bit worried about cramping on the first 25. Coach timed (and said she would make sure I didn't pass out. lol) I went :25. Wasn't too bad really.

50 EZ

Total: 4000 meters

I'm feeling pretty strong in the water again. Every once in awhile I notice the effects of the weight training.

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple
    Post Swim Snack: G2, balance bar
    Lunch: Salad with green/red lettuce, grilled chicken, sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, currants, flax seeds
    Snack: yogurt, blueberries, hummus with whole wheat crackers
    Dinner: bean and cheese burritos from Whole Food (the whole fam, except for Lil Fort was elsewhere), kiwi, quinoa salad

Running:

Interesting article in the NYT on May 28 on the topic that there is "no right way or wrong way to run:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/he...on/28best.html

Reminded me of swimming actually. Personally, I can't do a heel strike without getting shin splints.

Other Random Notes:

Just could not make it to NVSL "University" this weekend to do referee training ... way too many kids' activities. I'll have to stick with stroke & turning. I'm sure I will deek a few more kids than Geek and a few less than Hulk.

Had to post this cute picture (taken by SwimRobin) of Jimby, me and Wookiee from Zones. One of my teammates who's back to swim training after a break commented that: "Maybe masters meets are more fun now than I remember." lol

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 11:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n674488395_1794057_5387751.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	6268  
  14. Saturday, May 30

by , May 30th, 2009 at 07:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went on a 4 mile trail run. Rather subpar because of wheezing. One of the soccer fields my daughter plays at seems to bother me particularly. It's also been raining quite frequently, and mold does not agree with me. Running in the DC area in the spring is a challlenge.

Food:

Breakfast: omelet with cheese, mango
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, salmon, tomato, avocado, flax seed, peppers, pomegranate seeds
    Post run snack: 12 oz G2, yogurt, nuts
    Pre-dinner snack: plum
    Dinner: Steak, broccoli, salad, glass of chardonnay

Updated May 30th, 2009 at 09:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  15. Sprinting Savagely, Friday, May 29

by , May 29th, 2009 at 05:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Core:

Before I left for the gym, Mr. Fort showed me some of the exercises he's doing with his trainer to help rehab/strengthen his hip(s). I tried a few out today, including a couple involving lateral plyo-type movements. Probably about time for me to start adding a plyo component to my drylands anyway. Unfortunately, I was a bit too preoccupied with them, and left most of the lifting until the end. That wasn't too bright. (I had the mental image of Q saying "large muscles first."). Tried to bench press at the end, but I was just too tired.

seated narrow grip row, 90 x 1 x 5, 100 x 1 x 5, 110 x 2 x 10
    back squats w/45 lb bar, 3 x 15
    dead lift, 135 x 1 x 5, 135 x 1 x 4
    (This was too heavy, a "failure." I'll have to go back to a lighter weight. I was just too lazy to take off the 2 45 lb weights and re-do the weight amount. We don't have micro-weights at my gym, so any increase is always a 10 pound minimum.)
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 45 x 2 x 15, each side
    back extensions w/25 lb weight, 4 x 15
    recline hip abductors, 110 x 2 x 10
    (I think I'm going to stop doing these. For some reason, this particular exercise seems to bother my left hip. I hadn't done it for months then did it the other day and now I notice a twinge.)
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15
    hip hinges w/12 lb DBs, 1 x 15 on left leg

3 rounds of:

1. plyo type hop:

Round 1: Modified bench hops for 1:00. They're done with your hands in the middle of the bench with your body at one side. You "hop" over the bench with both legs, hopping back and forth from side to side over the bench. If you go fast, it's not easy. (Mr. Fort did this exercise for 2:00 with his trainer and can hold the plank far longer than me. Very embarrassing ...)

Round 2: Same as in round one, only you hop on one leg. So go from your right leg to your left leg back and forth over the bench.

Round 3: Hands held out to sides. 1 forward lunge with left leg, 1 forward lunge with right leg + broad jump. Repeat 20 x.

2. Planks for 1:00, one regular, one on right side, one on left side

Tip to make planks harder: If you're really good at these (Tim, Chris), you can put your forearm(s) on a foam roller. This recruits the core stabilization muscles even more, and is particularly hard on a side plank.

3. leg or hip stretch

4. 1 x 25 push ups

10 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Stole and modified Patrick's workout from yesterday. He described it as "yoga swimming," but I did it as a kick ass sprint workout. And it kicked my ass.

Warm up:

Main set:

16 x 25 UW shooters w/MF (4 belly, 4 left side, 4 right side, 4 back)
    4 x 100 dolphin kick @ 2:00
    #1: easy speed
    #2 & 4: 2nd & 4th 25 fast
    #3 & 5: 1st & 3rd 25 fast
    2 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    4 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 50 EZ @ 2:30)
    (went 26 (cramp), 25, 25.5, 25)
    50 EZ

10 x 25
    odds free @ 90%, evens EZ
    3 x 100 IM, easy speed @ 1:50
    1 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    2 x (50 back w/fins AFAP + 50 EZ @ 3:00)
    (went 25s)
    50 EZ

4 x 25 UW back shooter
    2 x 100 BR w/MF, last 25 AFAP
    1 x 100 easy free w/snorkel
    1 x (50 back AFAP + 50 EZ) (went 25)

100 C/D

Total: 3650

Ack! I hadn't used my snorkel in a long while. I'm back to absolute beginner status. It was really quite unpleasant to use.
    These 50 backs are my fastest ever in practice. I think the fastest I've ever gone is 25.5 during a taper. So it's encouraging that I was regularly hitting 25 here after weights and a hard double yesterday. I'm usually more around the 26.5-27 range. I should probably put lactate sets as a "local" blog category so I can keep track of them better.

Food:

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 apple, blueberries
    Post Weights Snack: balance bar, 12 oz G2
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, salmon, peppers, tomatoes, sprouts, flax seeds, avocado; whole grain wheat crackers with hummus
    Post Swim Snack: yogurt, papaya, nuts
    Dinner plans: Veal chops, sauteed veggies, some kind of salad

I'm hoping my veggy garden does well this summer and is not overrun by rabbits or ground hogs or other pests. I can't believe my daughters think bunnies are cute!

Savageman!

It's done. I'm signed up for the half iron Savageman relay. This is a birthday present to Mr. Fort. http://www.savagemantri.org/ I'm planning to draft off Mulie who will still have to bike and run. I have no idea whatsoever how long it takes to swim 1.2 miles in a lake. Anyone? I'm just glad I don't have to do the murderous bike segment.

200 back:

I'm thinking that the 200 back I swim on June 14 will be it for the season. After reading one of Ande's latest tips, I think I will go for a 50 split in my 200 back at Nats. Otherwise, 50 back, my best event, is the last one of the meet after three days of swimming.

Updated May 30th, 2009 at 06:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  16. Spin + Swim, Thursday, May 28

by , May 28th, 2009 at 05:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After giving up potato chips last night, I fell asleep almost an hour earlier than normal. Woke up with a lot of energy. Decided to go to my first am spin class in a couple months.

60 minute spin

Wasn't too bad. I didn't kill it, as I was planning to swim later. But pretty fun. Why is standing and biking at an 8-9 level easier than sitting and biking at a 7?

Core/RC Work:

incline crunches w/10 lb weight over head, 2 x 25
    V Ups w/med ball, 2 x 15
    crunches on bench w/10 lb DB held by feet
    prone scapular scrunches w/hand weights, 2 x 25
    arm extensions w/3 lb hand weights, 2 x 15 forward, V, side

10 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCY Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety warm up of swim, kick & drills

10 x 25
    odds, backstroke shooter, no fins
    evens, easy

Main Set:

10 x 25 fly w/fins @ :35
    4 x 100 kick w/fins @ 2:00,
    Amanda Weir style:
    6 SDKs on first 25, 8 SDKs on second 25, 10 SDKs on third 25, UW shooter on last 25
    (This was NOT easy!)
    100 EZ

10 x 25 fly w/fins @ :40
    4 x 100 @ 2:00, done:
    25 fast doggie paddle drill, 25 easy dolphin kick on back, 25 fast breast, 25 easy dolphin kick on back
    100 EZ

10 x 25 fly w/fins @ :40
    4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00
    75 EZ kick, speed into last turn and blast last 25 AFAP with 10 SDKs
    100 EZ

Speed Work:

10 x 25
    odds, AFAP free
    evens EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3600

BTW, I really like the workout Patrick posted earlier today. I think I'll do that tomorrow. Or perhaps after another lactate set day.

Nutrition Update:

My 10 week+ effort to see if food = drug started today. (I realize 10 weeks probably isn't long enough to see lasting benefits -- is it? -- but I thought I'd reevaluate progress then.

I don't plan to blog it every day and bore everyone to tears. Perhaps just to get me going. Here's what I ate/plan to eat today:

Breakfast:
    (Forgot about the "no bread rule" right outta the box. lol)

1 slice whole grain wheat bread w/peanut butter
    blueberries

Post Spin Snack:

12 oz G2 (I know it's got sugar, but RecoverWrong makes me nauseous)
    high protein balance bar

Lunch:

Salad: romaine lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, grilled chicken, pomegranate arils (probably the only seed I like), currants

Post Swim Snack:

banana, plum, cherries and a couple of slices of grilled chicken

Dinner:

salmon (thank god my kids love this!)
    broccoli
    tomatoes

(I won't eat the rice or pasta I make my kids.)

(If I cheat, I'll edit)

CrossFit on Stretching:

Crazy's comment about stretching for 30 minutes got me thinking. I found this article called Hamstrung on the crossfit website. Here's the preamble to it:

Stretching sucks. It does. There, it's been said. You can't brag about your best stretching time, you don't get to write your stretch PR on the wall, and there is no immediate "Fran"-like gratification that you are really tough. And despite the fact that flexibility is one of the ten CrossFit pillars of complete, well-balanced fitness, increasing flexibility potential remains the ungreased squeaky wheel of most athletes' training programming. According to the ten general physical skills list, flexibility is allegedly as important as power or strength. So why don't we take it more seriously? Because, typically, we simply fail to frame flexibility in terms that are important to us: increasing performance.

Stop kidding yourself. Lacking flexibility in crucial areas has a crushing impact on your athletic abilities; to say nothing of the host of pains and problems that inflexibility predisposes you to. If you know you have tight hips, calves, hamstrings, quads, thoracic spine, or shoulders and aren't actively, aggressively striving to fix them, then you must be afraid of having a bigger squat, faster rowing splits, or a more explosive second pull. Or, you must be very lazy. Because if you are tight and a CrossFitter, you are missing a huge opportunity to get better, stronger and faster. Simply put, not stretching is like not flossing, and the results are not pretty. There are many areas of restriction in the typical athlete, but it makes sense to begin a discussion about flexibility and performance at perhaps the most commonly neglected and profoundly underaddressed area of the body, the hamstrings. The goals of this article are to help you understand how hamstring restriction impedes performance and function, learn to identify tight hamstrings with a few simple assessment tools, and above all, know how to address the problem.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino14.htm

Updated May 28th, 2009 at 10:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning
  17. Wednesday, May 27

by , May 27th, 2009 at 02:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Short Run:

No time for a swim this am. I had the 4:30 am driving shift for Mini Fort's swim practice. Couldn't really fall back asleep until after I got Lil Fort to school. So only had time for a quicky 3.5 mile loop on the trail.

Then I went to get a deep tissue massage. Lordy, I was sore! My massage therapist said I have "swimmer's toe" because, when lying down, my toes are still in a natural "point" position.

LC Meet:

Sent in my entries for the Terrapin Cup LC meet on June 21 today. I entered:

50 back, 33.50
    100 back, 1:14.50
    50 fly, 31.75

These are very fast untapered times for me. In fact, I've never swum them untapered. Wolf Girl would be so proud. I just hope I don't end up in a wall lane, as I seem prone to do at mixed male-female meets.

Nutrition:

I am contemplating working on this area. I've always exercised, in part, so I can eat and drink whatever I want. I've never dieted, just eaten in a healthy fashion. So, I'm contemplating giving up chips (lol, my favorite evil addiction and not mine alone. ), bread, desserts, and late night snacks until Nats. Not going so far as to give up Pinot/Chard, , though I did read Susan Dawson Cook's excellent article in USMS Swimmer with interest. And the Cross Fit website proclaims that super healthy eating WILL enhance performance. In this regard, I have a friend who's been on a somewhat strict diet along the lines indicated above, who says he/she is slimmer and swimming faster than ever in practice.

Most people I know embarking on this endeavor keep a food log. Ugh, not really a fan of doing this. As I say, I'm just mulling it over. The hardest thing for me would be giving up late night snacks, as I'm always hungry late in the evening. And I don't like carrots much!!

Updated May 27th, 2009 at 03:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  18. Weights + Swim, Tuesday, May 26

by , May 26th, 2009 at 04:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights/Core:

standing lat pulldown, 150 x 2 x 10
    recline hip abductor, 110 x 3 x 15
    goblet squats, 40 x 2 x 15
    alternating hammers, 25 x 2 x 20
    external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each side
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25
    hip hinges w/12.5 DBs, left leg, 2 x 15
    hanging reverse crunch, no slings, 2 x 15
    elevated crunches, 2 x 25
    incline crunches w/10 lb weight above head, 2 x 25
    V Ups w/med ball, 4 x 15
    dead bug on bosu, 2 x 25
    push ups, 2 x 25

5 minutes stretching
    15 minute drive to pool

Swim/SCY/ Solo:

Warm up:

Kick Mountain:

dolphin kick w/MF, 150s & 200s w/board

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 X 150 @ 2:15
    1 X 200 @ 3:00
    1 X 300 @ 4:30
    1 X 200 @ 3:00
    1 X 150 @ 2:15
    1 X 100 @ 1:30
    1 X 50 @ :45

50 EZ

Speed/Aerobic Work:

20 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 40
    (9 SDKs + 4 strokes per 25)

10 x 50 breast @ 1:00 (my cap broke on # 7; didn't have an extra cap in my bag)

50 EZ

8 x 50 @ 1:15 done as 25 AFAP free + 25 easy
    (was going to do 10, but my pony tail holder washed away and it's just too annoying to swim with hair everywhere)

100 EZ

Total: 3600

A bit tired from the lack of sleep over the weekend. Felt like I may be getting a head cold. But felt much better after swimming.

Got a confirmation email that I'm entered in the 200 back at the USS meet on June 15.

Have a massage scheduled for tomorrow. Definitely need it! I've been told that a massage can really bring on an illness if you feel one coming though ... I'm hoping my congestion is just allergies and not a cold bug. I need a hand massage -- my hands/knuckles are still sore from weights. Yeesh!
  19. First LCM Practice, Sunday, May 24

by , May 24th, 2009 at 12:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was up pretty late last night watching the Star Trek movie. (Yes, I'm a trekkie and in touch with my inner geek.) But I was woken up early by loud children so made it to my team workout for my first LCM practice of the summer. The pool did seem, er, quite long. But it was nice to not be flipping all the time. Unfortunately, my husband left for a trail run with my swim backpack in the car. So I took Mini Fort's backpack. No nose clip, so I couldn't try LC shooters. I did notice that her GCG goggles didn't fog up nearly as much as my speed sockets.

We did this:

Warm up:

900 choice (did about 600)

15 squat jumps
    hold the plank 1:00
    tricep passes w/med ball
    some other dryland I forgot
    (I only did the squat jumps as I was sore from weights and arrived late.)

600, done as 3 x (150 pull + 50 scull)

Main set:

22 x 100, done as:

3 x 100 IM @ 2:00
    (fly/back; back/breast; breast/free)
    4 x 100 kick @ 2:10 @ 70%
    3 x 100 stroke @ 2:00 (did back)
    3 x 100 kick @ 2:10 @ 80%
    3 x 100 IM @ 2:00
    2 x 100 kick @ 2:10 @ 90%
    (did dolphin kick w/MF on back on these. went around 1:10s.)
    3 x 100 stroke @ 2:00 (did back)
    1 x 100 kick @ 2:00 @ 100%
    (did backstroke kick with fins. went around 1:10)

200 C/D

Total: 3600 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LC fly after weights blows. I feel like I'm in pretty decent aerobic shape for me. But I doubt I could make it through a 100 LC fly the day after weights. Just too broken down.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Weights, Sat., May 23

by , May 23rd, 2009 at 02:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights:

tricep press, 60 x 1 x 3, 65 x 1 x 3, 70 x 3 x 8
    dead lift, 125 x 3 x 6
    hi row (Hammer), 140 x 1 x 3, 160 x 1 x 3, 180 x 3 x 8
    back lunges w/10 lb DBs, 1 x 20
    side lunges w/10 lb DBs, 1 x 20
    goblet squats, 40 x 3 x 15
    (was going to do front squats, but couldn't remember the precise hand/wrist position)
    incline crunches w/12.5 weight overhead, 2 x 25
    decline reverse crunches w/12.5 weight held by feet, 2 x 15
    push ups, 2 x 25
    held the plank for 1:30
    recline pull ups (body rows), 2 x 12 (put my feet up on an incline bench and used a bar)
    chin ups, 1 x 10 (did these on the way out, almost forgot)

5-10 minute stretching

Back from Nationals in NJ and a LOT of driving yesterday. But it was great fun, even though Fort Son's team (varsity lightweight 4) got "owned." (I won't use the word he used. lol) Still, I think he had a pretty exciting season for a novice rower. Couldn't help but notice, but there were some super buff studs there.

First three weights listed were all PRs for me. I used the long bar and put the weights on for the first time today for the dead lift (now that I know the darn bar weighs 45 pounds). The bar felt bigger than the barbell I had been using. I felt like my hands were slipping and I couldn't get a good grip on the bar ...

The house is loaded with relatives and kids. Went to lil Fort's soccer game after weights and will now hang by the pool today. Hopefully, I can make my team practice tomorrow ...

Amanda Weir on Kicking:

I was reading Splash Magazine last night, and in particular an article about Amanda Weir. She said she spent a year kicking in shoes in an effort to improve her kick in the freestyle events. I know people that have used shoes periodically (She Puff), but not regularly. Seems like that would be hard on the shoulders too.

She also spend some times kicking with fins, particularly to work on her dolphin kicking. One of her fav sets is 10 x 100 where she does 6 kicks, 8 kicks, 10 kicks, all UW by 25s. I think I'll give this set a whirl, though I imagine that last 25 is just a *bit* hard for us mortals.

Updated May 23rd, 2009 at 02:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts