http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Weights + Swim Later

by , February 19th, 2009 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did 50 minutes of weights/core work at the gym today. Going to my team practice tonight and will update later. Wanted to write it down before I forgot (in random order):

pull ups w/50 pound assist, 12 x 3
    standing lat pull down, 110 x 10 x 3
    standing tricep press, 70 x 12 x 3
    standing cable crunch, 65 x 12 x 2
    kneeling cable crunch, 75 x 12 x 2
    laying pull down cable crunch, 80 x 10 x 2
    (made up name)
    standing overhead barbell tricep extension, 20 x 12 x 2 (first time I ever did this)
    standing barbell bicep curl, 30 x 12 x 2
    seated dip machine, 60 x 25 x 2 (I do these without bending my elbow to work the RC)
    med ball crunches, 25 x 2
    reverse straight leg sit ups on bench, lifting ass up off bench (need a name for these), 15 x 2
    total ab machine, 100 x 25 x 2
    prone scapular scrunches w/5 pound weights, hands at side, 25 x 2
    iron monkeys, 25 x 2

5 minutes of stretching

Oh, Tim, I held the plank for 1 minute! Felt OK. 30 seconds was too easy.

Probably won't get back to the weight room until next week, so tried to get quite a few things in today.

Ordered some Hammer Recoverite today to see if it helps me recovery after hard swim workouts or "doubles."

Updated February 20th, 2009 at 04:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Wednesday, Feb 18

by , February 18th, 2009 at 04:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still haven't recovered from the meet. Usually takes me about 3 days or so to recover from a 2 day meet. Not doing anything intense this week. I'm going to Richmond this weekend to watch Mr. Fort and friends run a half marathon there. I may just take the weekend off. BUT since I don't want to lose even more of the strength I've tortured myself to get, I went to the gym today.

45 minutes of weights and core work. I may start trying to keep track of this better (although it takes a fair bit of mental effort and I don't know many of the technical names.). I just did a mix of things today to get the lifting jump-started again. I've definitely lost some strength, so I started light.

30 minutes on the ellipse machine

15 minutes hot tub

From what I can recall, this is what I did:
    (Looks like I'm supposed to put the weight first, not last. I seriously know nothing about lifting. lol)

external rotators on free motion machine, 2 x 15 with each arm

ankle presses on the leg press machine (I do these to strengthen my wobbly ankles for running.) 1 x 15 x 110 with toes pointed in, out and straight

leg press, 2 x 10 x 310

alternating hammer, 2 x 30 x 15

seated row, narrow grip, 2 x 12 x 80

dead lift, 2 x 12 x 70

standing "push ups" on the double cable free motion machine, 2 x 12 x 40

sit ups on the incline bench, 2 x 25

crunches with the med ball (don't know what these are called. I only keep my butt on the ground when I do these and bring the med ball over my head), 2 x 25

jackknifes with the yoga ball, 2 x 15

reverse sit ups on the funky reverse V shaped bench type thing, 2 x 25 with a 10 lb weight. I just held the weight to my chest. Sometimes, I try to do it with the weight held out over my head with straight arms. This is much harder, and I was too tired today.

Used the pec fly/rear delt machine today, did 2 x 15 of each, can't remember the weight.

Still pondering planks. I generally agree with JMiller that they hurt my shoulders, but I'm going to look at the Mens Health article that Tim posted and see what the variations are. I may start doing the ab barbell rollout instead.

Updated February 18th, 2009 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. PRP in the NYT

by , February 17th, 2009 at 10:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I've mentioned previously on the forum that I underwent PRP for several months in the first half of 2008 to rehab some labral tearing and a SLAP lesion on my left shoulder. Most forumites or other people I discuss shoulders with usually give me a blank look/reaction when I mention PRP. I decided on this treatment when PT and ART did not provide relief from chronic shoulder pain. Well, they wouldn't really. It was wear and tear, which, unlike tendonitis, is not terribly responsive to conventional treatments. (See, e.g., a post of Eric Hochstein on one of the recent shoulder threads making this same comment regarding tearing.)

In any event, Dr. Jaegermeister sent me this article today from the NYT, which makes PRP sound very promising for athletes. Glad I tried it, as I believe my shoulder is significantly better as a result and I am no longer in chronic pain. (Not to say I still don't get occasional pain -- but it can be managed with RC exercises, fins and ART and I don't feel the urge to quit swimming or skip practices due to pain.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sp...r=2&ref=health
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tuesday, Feb 17

by , February 17th, 2009 at 01:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Yesterday afternoon, I swam an easy 1200 meters or so and sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes. Hoping to get some lactic acid out.

Today, I went on a 5 mile trail run. Like the klutzy idiot I am, I tripped jogging down a hill again. When I did this last August, I had a sore ankle for 3 months. This time, I seem relatively intact. Don't feel like I have my running legs -- I've run so little the last few months. (Checked runlogger, only 7 x the last 3 months.) I must confess that I walked on an up. I hate ups.

Left hip is still a bit sore. I didn't notice it much during the meet. I think the drive/plane ride home from Auburn aggro'd it. May see if I can get in to see my chiro. I'd like it to just clear up so I can go back to kicking fast in the pool.

Hitting the gym tomorrow. I may try to write down what weights and exercises I'm doing. If I can figure out WTH they're all called. Jazz has suggested that I do some weight assisted pull ups, so I think I may add these to the regimen. I read that skinny Laura Smith is dead lifting 150 lb, which makes me a complete lightweight in the weight room!

Updated February 17th, 2009 at 02:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  5. Auburn, Day 2

by , February 16th, 2009 at 11:04 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Despite being totally sleep deprived, my body was still sufficiently rested, tapered, pampered, massaged etc. to swim fast. I feel like I really nailed the taper with significant time drops. Swam faster than I though I would. In fact, I should probably just retire from SCY now, as I doubt I'll ever swim faster. lol All time drops are "taper drops" because I've swum every event except the 100 IM in B70s. (I note this because Jimby thinks all my recent improvements are due to B70 use.)

100 fly: 1:01.33

Previous PB was 1:04.2 (swam that at Austin in a Pro and at the Sprint Classic in a B70). I swam this in heat 1 by myself. Had the same reaction as the 50 free. I just could not believe my time. I was hoping to go a 1:03. Shocked and super happy. My splits were 28.46/32.87. Rigor mortis set in, as usual, with about 10 yards to go. Mini-Fort says I just have to chop off one second to make sectionals. I tried to explain that this was a once in a lifetime taper kind of thing and I wasn't going to hop in and do this next month. Yeesh!

50 back: 28.52

Previous best was a 29.1 in September, and I was secretly hoping for a 28.9. Didn't have the best turn and was on the lane line for a bit of the second length. Still very very happy with the time.

100 back: 1:02.84

Previous best was 1:04.7 (did this in a Pro in Austin and in a B70 in September) and I was hoping for a high 1:03 or so. Did this as a split request in the 200 back. (The officials checked the rules and found the split request form.) I didn't have much time to recover after the 50 back. Maybe 35 minutes. I would really have preferred an hour or even 2 hours. That's the one disadvantage of tapering for a regional meet as opposed to Nats -- you just don't get the same amount of rest between events. This event hurt the most of all my races, probably because I was very very tired. Splits were 30.24/32.60. Forumite Karlene was kind enough to give me my splits and times right when I hopped (er, dragged myself) out of the pool.

I consider this race a moral victory. I've been wanting to beat my 12 year old time of 1:04.0 for awhile. So now I'm faster than when I was 12. lol

Taper Reflections/Thoughts:

1. Did 6 PBs at this meet. I've done this before at a taper meet, but I think some of the PBs were just natural improvement, increased racing experience, or just not much experience in a given course. But I've never dropped this much time across every event before. I have to conclude that this means I really hit my taper right. The biggest change I made was in week 1 of the taper. I followed Chris' advice to keep yardage up (reduce only a bit), cut aerobic work and cut speed work. In prior tapers, I've increased speed work in week 1 and reduced yardage. I also got much more rest/sleep than usual during taper (took a lot of "morning naps"). This may have factored into the results as well.

2. The Auburn pool was very fast. It was a double bulkhead pool. Didn't seem to bother me. I did have to peek to spot the wall in the 50 free though.

3. I'm still struggling on my backstroke turns in yards. This meet, I took 3 strokes before flipping over instead of the 2 from my last meet. I guess it worked, but I felt like I had to take short strokes and was tentative on the turns. Also, I notice with my B70, I'm not getting as deep on my starts and turns and popping up sooner. Ande tells me I need to affirmatively try to go deeper and use the "suit surge." I'm definitely not doing that right now.

3. The SCY season is in the books for me. I'm only going to swim a few events at Zones for fun. Hopefully, my times will hold up decently with those to be posted at Clovis. I'm just going to focus on SCM and LCM now, which I vastly prefer anyway. Whenever I swim backstroke in yards, I just think "another damn wall?!" Walls upset my rhythm and help tall people more than us shorter types.

4. I have to say that I really enjoyed tapering at an unconventional time. I'm not a winter person and it gave me something to keep me occupied and focused on over these dreary months. Now, I'm really ready to turn back to some cross training and running outdoors. This is really not a bad way to go!

5. Tapering is hard work. It requires a lot of commitment to getting enough rest, sleep, etc. I'm really looking forward to going back to not worrying about whether I feel tired or sore and doing whatever I want to do. I always feel like I've gotten a "get out of jail free" card when taper time is over.

6. A couple people have asked me what I think accounts for the significant time drops I've had since Austin. In a nutshell, I think it's more intense training. I've generally been swimming 5x a week. When in the pool, I've done more aerobic work and more intense kick sets. And I've just done more weights/drylands, though I can still improve in this area. So, as I said recently on the SFF thread, "more is more" seems to have worked for me.

7. Sandbagging seems to agree with me. I swam all my 100s completely by myself with no one to "race." Didn't seem to matter. In general, I prefer just swimming my own race. I don't think having someone right next to me makes all that much difference.

8. 100 fly thoughts: One reason I was so surprised with my time is that I have not been training for the 100 fly. If you've read my blog, you'll know that I've mostly just been doing 25s with some 50s and fly in IMs thrown in. Last October, I tried to do longer fly sets to improve my endurance in the 100 fly, but suffered immediate shoulder pain. So I went back to 25s and 50s. Didn't seem to hurt me that much. Also, for the fin critics out there, I will note that I NEVER swim fly without fins. So pfffftttt. Works for me and keeps my shoulders healthy! I'm glad I've marched to my own drummer on this issue and not accepted conventional wisdom.

Oh, and no matter how much Puff bugs me, I will never swim a 200 fly.

Here are the complete results:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~bailelc/2009.results.htm

Updated February 17th, 2009 at 12:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  6. Auburn, Day 1

by , February 14th, 2009 at 10:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from my iPhone, which usually means typos, as it has a mind of it's own.

The highlight of my day was the event I least expected to bust out a time in: 50 free. Just goes to show you, you never know what event will be "on" especially with unpredictable 50s.

Times:

100 IM: 1:04.1

Previous best was 1:06.8 in Austin. This was about what I expected to go based on my time from Rutgers. Had completely lopsided splits as usual. Out in 28.7. My heels kept popping out of the water in the evilstroke. Turns were slow as usual. Without remedial evilstroke help, this might be as fast as I can go. Everyone faster than me in this event can rock a 50 evilstroke. Still very happy as it's 2.7 seconds faster than my previous best.

50 free: 24.94

I was thrilled!!!! Previous best was 25.5 from the Sprint Classic in a B70; went a 25.99 in Austin. So this was a big drop. Had a sub par turn, but turnover felt good. This seems like a pretty big breakthrough for me. I was so shell shocked when I looked at the scoreboard, I had to ask the timers what my time was.

50 fly: 27.2

Meh. Wanted to go 26.9. Did everything wrong: two bad breakouts, bad turn, and too close to the lane line. Friend thought I might have nicked it. Not sure what happened on the turn. Didn't have my feet set well and got a bad push off/streamline. Or, who knows, maybe I was hungry from skipping lunch. 50s are tough, you have to execute perfectly, especially in SCY. Since I rarely go off a block, this is a problem. This is why I vastly prefer meters to yards. No big deal, though, I'll give it another whirl at Zones. Right now, it's a PB with correctable mistakes. I think I have good fitness and raw speed, it's the technical aspects of my races that need work.

Not sure about the officiating at the meet. I asked about getting a split request in my 200 back. They looked at me as if I was from Mars, didn't know anything about forms and didn't know the rules. I had thought this was commonplace based on all the people I see getting official times from split requests ... Doesn't inspire confidence in me, especially after the 50 fly fiasco. Why do so few officials know the USMS rules?

In any event, I may not get to swim it. I hadn't focused on the fact there is a time change between here and Atlanta when I booked my flight. I may have to scratch this event to catch my flight. Really bad planning on my part. May try to squeeze it in, but it will be close. Will play it by ear.

Had my usual meet insomnia last night. Would really like to go to sleep before 3:00 am. Got a lot of sleep the last two weeks, so that may have to suffice.

Updated February 15th, 2009 at 10:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Friday, Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2009 at 10:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Flew to Atlanta and drove down to Auburn. All went very smoothly, except hip sore from all the sitting. Drove out to the Aquatic Center. Did about 700 yards to loosen up and took a hot shower for about 20 minutes. Facility flaw: no whirlpool. Pool looks fast. Was told the competition pool opened at 6:00. It didn't, had to leave I will meet the bulkhead for the first time tomorrow in the 50 free. Good thing that's my "6th event." I observed widespread fin use by the mens and Womens college team. The senior age groupers who practiced after were doing timed swims with fins from the blocks.

Had dinner with friends. Will sleep in and go early to warm up since I'm in Event one, Heat one.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 1000 + SCM Thursday, Feb. 12

by , February 12th, 2009 at 11:56 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last day of ditzing around in the pool like a noodler:

700 warm up
    2 x 25 build
    2 x 25 easy speed fly
    200 easy

Taper News:

No real hypochondriasis at the moment. Shoulders are a bit sore from tossing and turning last night. Still holding at just congestion! Speaking of hypochondriasis, this will be my first big meet in awhile without my blogger buddies Jimby and SwimStud. Is Jimby my good luck charm or does he encourage hypochondriasis? He is always a good source of Jolt Gum ...

The timeline for the meet is out. There are 1650 entries -- quite a lot for a regional meet.
    I should have enough time between my first and seconds events each day, thanks to my sandbagging of the first event. I'm a bit worried about warm up on Saturday, since I'm in heat 1 of event 1 and have to budget ample time for struggling/wiggling/wrenching myself into the new tech suit. I've been very spoiled by my stretched out B70. I was down to about 3 mintues to get into it. Now, I'm back to 30 minutes. lol.

Will probably go early and warm up in the warm up pool on Saturday morning. (By early, I mean about 11:00 am.) May try to get to the competition pool late Friday afternoon if my flight is on time and I don't get stuck in traffic. I've been told the bulkhead is tricky, so this is probably a good idea.

Looking forward to meeting Heather Reitz, Swimcat, Karlene, Glider & others and seeing Elise again. I'm counting on Elise to get me from the hotel to the pool as I am always getting lost. Why is it so confusing to find the damn pool on a college campus?!

SCM Times:

Preliminary SCM rankings are out.

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenin...wimmerID=038W8

Did better than last year. I find it somewhat comical that my worst ranking was 50 fly. I even did better in 100 fly than 50 fly. A first! Biggest improvement is in the 100 IM. I swam in 3 SCM meets this year (Albatross, IGLA and one day at Rutgers). I did 3 day mini tapers for the first two and rested a week for Rutgers. The week of IGLA, I lifted and ran, so think I could have gone faster in the backstroke events and 50 fly. (Wait, I did in the 50 fly .... lol) It'd be nice to do a 2 week taper one year for a SCM meet. I wish there was a bit more competition for the top spots in my age group. Right now, they're completely dominated by KPN.

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 03:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  9. Gettin' Twitchy Wed., Feb 11

by , February 11th, 2009 at 03:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCM, solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

Rest of Warm up:

2 x (2 x 25 build free + 25 easy)

2 x (2 x 25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

2 x (2 x 25 AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1250 meters

Taper News:

Was trying to do sort of a meet warm up. Meet warm ups confuse me. Sometimes I feel stale/haven't got the cobwebs out on my first event and sometimes I'm fine without too much warm up. Never sure how much to do. Glad I'm starting my meet out with 100s each day though.

I'm guardedly optimistic about the hip. It feels better, though still sore. Dr. Jimby is right that these things take a long time to heal.

Still holding at congestion only, haven't lapsed into the sinusitis/bronchitis malaise I've been so prone to in the past.

Felt pretty good in the water today. Decent DPS, fly felt good.

After no running or spinning for almost 3 weeks, I'm starting to feel like a gooey Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Haven't really set any time goals. Unlike many, I don't usually set specific goals, although I may have general goals (do PBs) or reach goals (like to bust out another good 100 IM time) in mind. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a .99 a couple times. I do plan to take my 100 back and 100 fly out a bit faster. If I die like the drop dead sprinter that I am, that's OK.

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 03:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Noodler Interference Tuesday, Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2009 at 02:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a irritating noodler experience today. Usually, I get along fine with most of the noodlers and lap swimmers and we each stay on our side of the lane. Today, I was stuck sharing a lane with someone who insisted on constantly drifting into the middle of the lane, kicking me while doing elementary backstroke, and doing bobs with her arms flapping like a bird. She wouldn't stay on her side of the lane even after I asked very sweetly. Her idiocy resulted in a collison on my AFAP 50.

Warm up:

450 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills

Other stuff:

3 x (3 x 25 build + 25 easy)

3 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 back AFAP, no time: Noodler insisted on bobbing in the middle of the lane while I was finishing. I swam right into her. I don't understand this at all. She saw me coming and I couldn't see her ... why get in my way when I'm traveling at fast speeds?! (Where is the f bomb emoticon?)

150 EZ

3 x (25 free AFAP + 25 easy)

100 EZ

Total: 1500

Other great news: Both my teenagers are home sick with congestion/cough/sore throats. Blech. I'd like to move out! Hip still sore, perhaps slightly better. This is the third consecutive 2 week taper where I've had "issues." I guess I'm well used to it at least. RL stops for nothing. On the bright side, I'm still holding at congestion and sore throat with no other symptoms so far. Now, I will go plaster a smile on my face as my littlest and sweetest child is almost home from school.

The Auburn psyche sheets are out.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~bailelc/masters.html

Haven't looked at them very closely. Yes, I'm sandbagging the 100 IM and 100 fly to get more rest. Ande said it was OK. lol. I'm advised that some other very speedy women swimming the same events as Puff are sandbagging by massive amounts. I guess it's a tradition at Auburn.

Stud: I'm in at least one wall lane! Unfortunately, it's for one of my best events ... Consider this an advance text of "facility flaws."

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:17 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  11. Monday, Feb. 9

by , February 9th, 2009 at 04:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Another staggeringly boring workout:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    150 fly drills
    2 x 25 build free

Speed/Cruise:

4 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

50 back AFAP

200 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 75 easy)

100 EZ

Total: 1850

The pain in the ass is still a pain in the ass. Both my daughters have colds and are hacking. I've been congested for a couple days, hope it doesn't escalate. I felt sorry for myself for about 15 minutes last night, but I'm mostly upbeat. Don't feel either crappy or particularly speedy in the water. Just kind of weird and floaty. Don't care, I'm ignoring it all.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:19 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Endorphin Withdrawal Continues Unabated, Sunday, Feb. 8

by , February 8th, 2009 at 02:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Taking a rest day today. Plan on swimming M-Th, then taking Friday off. I think I must be going through endorphin withdrawal or something insidious. Despite quite a bit of sleep last night, I feel tired and have a constant and overwhelming urge to nap.

I was attempting to do a google search on feeling crappy/physiological effects during taper and found this:

http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8835&page=1 (As I recall, I swam pretty well at this meet after my first real taper. In fact, it was this meet that convinced me I am better LC swimmer.) At least I'm consistent in my dislike of tapering!

The day will not be one of complete rest, however, as I have decided (and this is subject to a cowardly changing of the mind or even greater ennui) to try on my new B70 tonight. Last time I tried on a spanking new B70 was in June before the IGLA meet. I actually was convinced I had bought the wrong size suit despite following the sizing chart, and was (purely because of the taper of course) cursing in my hotel room. Several PMs or texts to and from Ande helped solve the problem and after an epic struggle, I did wiggle into the suit.

And now I have something else to fret about. I'm swimming the first event both days (as I recall). I may have to get out of warm up really early to get the damn suit on. Yeesh.

Still doing the icing of the ass. Doesn't seem to help.

Edit: Never mind, the cause of my malaise has been now revealed and it is a really good thing!

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:20 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 2 Begins Sat., Feb 7

by , February 7th, 2009 at 03:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Great day: Mr. Fort went on a 13.6 mile trail run; I swam 1750 meters. Dreadfully unfair.

Woke up earlier than I intended, feeling sleepy and lethargic. Consulted my doctor (see photo on left below) by text, and he advised me this was completely normal. Actually felt a little peppier after I swam.

Warm up:

700 swim-kick

Speed Work:

4 x 25 build free

5 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP free + 75 easy + sit on wall and try not to die of boredom)

150 C/D

Total: 1750 meters

2 x (10 minutes hot tub + cold shower + 5 minutes steam room)

icing my ass shortly

Here's an interesting article about age group swimming in the DC area: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot

I've also attached a photo of me and Mini-Fort from the meet we did together in January. After my 200 back, I look like a drown rat run over by a mac truck and Mini-Fort looks fresh as a daisy. But at least I did my bit to raise awareness of masters swimming among USS girls and their parents!

Parenting teenage girl swimmers in the 13-14 age group can really be trying. Last night, I got a text from Mini-Fort at her travel meet saying: "mommy, I dropped 10 seconds in my 400 IM luv u." Today, after my workout, I received a text saying: "never swimming 200s again." (She's just getting back in shape after taking 3-4 weeks off to rest her knees (patella overload syndrome).) Yeesh! What drama!

Updated February 7th, 2009 at 05:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000629.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	6245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n797920051_5588088_100.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	6246  
  14. Dr. Jim's Hip Diagnosis, Feb. 6, 2009

by , February 6th, 2009 at 03:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Thanks to Mary and Q, I did hip rotators on the foam roller last night and this morning. It actually really hurt. Went to the hot gym pool so I could soak in the whirlpool for a bit. Left the MF at home and didn't do any hard kicking today. Even took the kicking a little easy on the fast stuff.

SCM, solo:

Warm up:

5 minutes in hot tub

600 swim-kick

4 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00

Mellow Aerobic Stuff:

10 x 50 @ 1:10,
    alternate back and backstroke kick

10 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

Speed work:

broken 100 back, 15 seconds rest at the 50

200 EZ

50 fly AFAP

200 EZ

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 easy)

150 easy

20 minutes in hot tub

Total: 2800 meters

Dr. Jim's Diagnosis of my "nagging" hip issue:

"Leslie, Bill had us doing a bunch of fly kicking drills at the beginning of a training cycle 4 years back. I did these so spiritedly, followed by some of those Nautilus machines where you alternately open and close your legs to resistance, i.e., chick exercises, anyhow, it got extremely painful to the point where I could hardly walk and any ... Read: More swimming was impossible. Injuries near the core really lay you up because all other muscles seem attached indirectly. I went to UPMC sports medicine clinic for an article and one of the top hip specialists in the world told me I'd inflammed my ileo-psoas muscle (filet mignon in cattle). He said to not do anything for 2 weeks to let the inflammation die down. I took his advice, and it did go away. But it was one of the scariest, and most foreign-to-me, sports injuries I have ever had. You got to avoid provocative actions that cause pain until the pain has totally gone away, then build back super gradually. Fake Dr. Jim who is actually right."

Scary stuff! The stretch I was doing was somelike like the machines he describes. Lay on back, lift leg straight up, and then move to the side so it's touching the floor. (Have to be pretty flexible to do this.) So, still think this, combined with all those starts I did at one, may be the culprit. Bit of a bummer, but I'll just deal with it.

Seeing my chiro at 4:00 to see what he thinks and for a tune up.

Other random thoughts:

1. Felt like utter crap today, probably also due to the pool temperature. Seems that Tall Paul is right that 7 days is the wrong amount to taper -- at least for a gradual taper. The only thing that felt decent was the easy speed fly.

2. Feel like I'm fairly on track with the taper plan. Reduced yardage just a bit this week, but increased easy swimming with only a bit of fast speed work.

3. I don't know if anyone else has felt this way, but when I'm tapering I get inexplicably lazy. I find myself thinking "why bother" or "do I really have to go fast at all?" This must reflect my sometimes all or nothing type personality.

4. It feels bizarre tapering as an self aware adult. Perhaps because I've only done long tapers a few times ... My only recollection from my age group days was that taper made me very happy because I wasn't pounding out mega yardage. I never really noticed or worried about the physiological changes. Now, I'm fretting about sleep, worrying about catching my kid's cold, monitoring shoulders. Glad I don't have to do this too often!

5. The taper bitchies have set it. I screamed at my computer this am, teared up when my daughter left for a travel swim meet and let go of an f bomb when I forgot to bring my inhaler to the pool.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:20 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Right on Schedule! Thurs., Feb 5

by , February 5th, 2009 at 02:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Guess everything is going well. I felt like crap in the water today -- right on schedule.

Warm up:

400 swim

3 x (3 x 100) @ 2:00
    drill, kick, swim

16 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
    4 belly, 4 right, 4 left, 4 fly spin

4 x 25 easy speed fly

50 EZ

Speed Work:

50 dolphin kick AFAP w/ MF (22.5)

200 EZ

50 back AFAP w/fins (26, might have left a half second late)

200 EZ

50 dolphin kick AFAP w/ MF (22.5)

100 EZ

4 x (25 (15 explosive, 10 cruise) + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2800

My left hip has been bugging me for a few days. I'm worried I might have over-stretched it. It didn't occur to me to start with ice, but probably should have. Anyone know if you're supposed to keep stretching if you've over-stretched? Stud did point out to me that I probably shouldn't have used the MF, so I'll put it away until after taper. Oh, I was NOT doing any new stretches so I don't qualify -- yet -- for "stupid f********." I was, however, almost run over in the parking lot by a noodler. They're hazardous everywhere apparently.

Not taper bitchies yet, a bit bummed about the hip though. Seem to be getting the taper munchies, as I was starving an hour after eating lunch.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:21 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Yawn Meh Wed, Feb 4

by , February 4th, 2009 at 03:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Workout:

No swim
    No run
    No spin
    No heavy, or even medium, weights
    (I am being a good, obedient taperer.)

morning nap
    30 minutes at gym: very light weights, core, RC, stretch
    5 minutes hot tub
    5 minutes steam room
    5 minutes shower

Taper Update:

No taper munchies yet
    No taper bitchies yet, though the fam has been warned
    No feeling crappy yet
    No hyperactivity detected yet
    No dysthymia

Started to ponder my next meet after Auburn, which will be the Albatross Open on March 21. As usual, the order of events leaves something to be desired, with the fly-back-free 50s crammed in the last hour. (The Little Devil refuses to change the order of events each year like a good meet director.) Since this meet is on the weekend of JOs, my entries will be decided by what time Mini-Fort is swimming in finals. I may have to leave early. Last year, I swam 100 fly-50 fly-50 free-mixed 200 free relay. This year, I will do 100 fly and 100 back, and either the 50 fly or 50 back if time permits. I will be sad if I have to miss the relay because our mixed GMUP relay was #1 last year.

http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/ancm0309.pdf

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:21 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Tuesday, Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2009 at 04:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    100 fly drills

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
    4 belly, 4 left, 4 right, 4 back, 4 fly spin drill

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

100 EZ

50 back AFAP from the blocks, 31ish (?)

(Did this for Ande. However, it is just useless to try to time a 50 back from the blocks from that end of the pool. The pace clock (for some odd reason) is down at the shallow end where the noodlers swim on the same wall. I really can't see the time from that angle. So this is a rough guess. I prefer swimming from the other end where I can see the clock on the opposite wall perfectly.)

175 EZ

50 fly AFAP w/fins, 25

200 EZ

4 x (25 free AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2650

Wanted to do more recovery swimming between the sprints and more of a warm down, but I was too busy this am and couldn't get to the pool earlier.

Jim Thornton expressed shock that I was starting to taper NOW. *gasp* I guess he has not been following the the taper advice thread. I fear the winter doldrums are interfering with him reading anything but his own blog comments.

I can't decide whether to take tomorrow off or not ... Several gurus have said I should take more days off than usual. Was thinking of taking the whole weekend off. Undecided. Rather unusual. lol

Here's a nice set from Dave Salo, that was passed on to me when I asked about it. Another one I'd like to do after taper:

Salo Set:
    5a/4ei/3r x 100 Kick w/ Fins @ 2:00 - descend 1-4
    8 x 25 Kick/Swim w/ Fins @ :35 Full speed kick to 15m & breakout into swimming
    5ae/4i/3r x 100 pull with small paddles @ 1:40 - descend 1-4
    8 x 25 pull @ :35 with large paddles - full speed
    5ae/4r/3r x 100 swim @ 1:30 descend 1-4
    8 x 25 swim @ :35 full speed
    5ae/4i/3r x 100 Paddles+fins @ 1:20 descend 1-4
    8 x 25 paddles+fins full speed @ :35
    easy 200
    Total Distance
    a = advanced = 3,400
    e = experienced = 3,300
    i = intermediate = 3,000
    r = rookie = 2,600

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Tri Swim?! Monday, Feb. 2

by , February 2nd, 2009 at 05:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Left for the pool a bit late today. Had to take some time to opine on the idiocy of Phelps. Not a good move though. I got kicked out of my lane by a high school team and had to move into the wall lane halfway through. My horror of wall lanes is of course well known, but this one had two ladders sticking out quite far. Definitely no fly in that lane!

My legs (and the rest of me actually) were really tired yesterday and today from all the starts. I guess Tall Paul is right that you shouldn't do them too close to meets.

Warm up:

750 swim-kick-drill

Aerobic set:

8 x 100 @ 1:50, cruiser pace
    alternate backstroke and backstroke kick

50 EZ

Speed sets:

6 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)
    2 fly/2 back/2 free

100 EZ

3 x (50 back AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ)

Went 26, 25.5, 25ish

These are the fastest 50 backs that I can recall doing in a solo practice. Think I went faster once at Mason with a real person timing me.

100 EZ

Total: 3000

How'd I do, Ande?

I am being strongly *urged* to participate in a coed tri relay at the Savageman Triathlon next September. At least the water at Deep Creek is clean, although very very cold. This could be somewhat comical ... I don't have any excuse that it interferes with a meet though ... It might interfere with a rematch of Geek 9:27 I guess, although Geek, in abject fear, has apparently sworn off the 100 back for life. Julie O. competed in this Tri last year and demolished the field of OW chicks.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Team Practice, Sunday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2009 at 01:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went to my team practice today. Couldn't possibly sleep through it since a couple giggly, squirmy loud 8 year old girls woke me up. Was a bit worried that it might require hard aerobic work, but, happily, we had a sprinty type workout. Seemed reasonably ideal for my first taper workout, although I definitely have done my last fast 100 today and will do somewhat less AFAP work during the rest of the week.

Warm up:

assigned:

300 free
    300 non free
    300 pull
    300 drill
    4 x 50: 25 UW/25 scull

did:

500 swim
    200 kick
    100 drill
    50 UW/scull

(Chatted with coach before I hopped in. Told her I was starting to taper for Auburn. She was slightly worried I was going down "all alone," but I assured her I already had Friday and Saturday night dinner plans. )

Kick set:

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    flutter kick, down on left side, back on right
    (I took 15 dolphin kicks on my side off each wall before coming up and flutter kicking.)

(Comment: I know everyone does this kicking on their side drill. Aside from warm up, I think it's pretty useless, especially for sprinters. Yes, we rotate when we swim. But no one actually swims completely on their side.)

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 @ :40
    2x: speed play, speed play, fast, easy
    speed play drills: heads up free with fast turnover, backstroke in V sit windmilling arms, or breaststroke with a fast flutter kick

(My lane mate Mark and I didn't like the backstroke drill and couldn't figure out what it was supposed to achieve. Hmmmm ... It also felt hard on my shoulders in that V sit position.)

100 EZ (did 50)

6 x 100 @ 1:45

#1 first 25 fast, rest easy
    #2 second 25 fast, rest easy
    #3 third 25 fast, rest easy
    #4 fourth 25 fast, rest easy
    #5 100 fast
    #6 100 easy

did the fast 25s fly
    did the fast 100 back w/fins. choked on water on the third length and had to turtle the turn. went 1:00

8 x 100 @ 1:50, done as:
    25 dolphin kick on back, 50 kick in IM order, 25 swim

I didn't feel as though I was getting enough rest on these, so I put on fins after 2. Cruised all the kicking, rested 5 seconds and did a 25 AFAP, 2 back/2 fly/2 free

200 C/D

Total: 3200

Practiced about a dozen starts. Trying to concentrate on throwing my hands out toward the opposite wall, getting my hands in a streamline position as soon as possible, keeping my head down, and not going in so flat. I was fairly successful on a couple starts ... makes a huge difference. I actually went pretty far ... made me wonder about the 15 meter mark and more serious dolphin kicks.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Tall Pauls Favorite Workouts and/or Sets

by , January 31st, 2009 at 10:57 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm trying out the new send a forum post to your blog feature that Jim added.

I wanted to save this workout to do after taper. Really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post

Kick day at Brophy with Coach Rankin on deck

10 minute choice warm-up

8 x 100's
    odds choice @ 1:45
    evens 50 kick/50 drill @ 2:00

12 x 50's kick @ 1:10
    odds = 25 over/25 under
    evens = 25 under/25 over

200 kick for time

8 x 25's dolphin kick on back @ :35

100 kick for time

6 x 25's breast kick on back @ :45

50 kick for time

8 x 25's @ :35
    - push and swim fast to wall/touch and go into vertically kicking until send-off
    Categories
    Uncategorized