http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Extremely Unhappy and Disappointed

by , December 21st, 2008 at 11:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was just informed today that my 50 fly time trial at Zones will not count and will not be recognized by either USMS or FINA. I am very unhappy about this. I have swum the 50 fly in SCM twice this year, at IGLA and Zones. Neither time will count for FINA. My 50 and 100 backstroke times will not be counted by FINA either. So, with respect to FINA, it is as if I never swam my 3 best events. USMS will not recognize the 29.99 I just swam in the 50 fly.

Here is the sequence of events:

Background Facts:

I swam the 50 fly in a time trial at Rutgers. I approached the meet director and referee during the meet and requested a time trial. I had been urged by some knowledgeable masters swimmers to request a time trial. The meet director and referee both granted the request and asked for all my information so that the time would count. They said I could swim the time trial at the end of the meet after the relays.

When the meet results were initially submitted, my 50 fly time appeared in the USMS event rankings database on Tuesday following the meet. On Wednesday, it disappeared from the database. When this occurred, I sent emails to various people in USMS and on the forum asking what the problem could be. I got a HUGE range of responses, e.g., "time trials definitely count," "time trials should count, there must be some mistake," "time trials don't count," "maybe there's an admin error." I also got myriad possible rules that might govern -- different interpretations from everyone. Nothing consistent at all. No one seemed very sure about the rules.

I was also concerned, and this concern was shared, that possibly someone had read my blog and complained about the time trial. If this was so, I was inclined to delete my blog. Who would do that to a competitor?! Should I maintain a blog if this were a possibility?

I canvassed many masters swimmers I knew and found that time trials had been permitted, events had been added to meets that were not on the entry form, meet results had been submitted when the pool was not measured, etc. In other words, times definitely counted when the rules weren't followed. (I would not, however, use any of these as example or precedent since I would not want a fellow masters swimmer's times possibly disallowed. What normal decent person would?)

LMSC Response:

I sent an email to the LMSC Chair asking about the issue and asking what had happened to my time. He was very sympathetic and discussed it with the meet director and referee. They all felt the time should count, took a pro-swimmer approach and approved seeking a post-meet sanction/recognition for the time trial. But someone on the NJ LMSC Board did not agree with the LMSC Chair's recommendation, and it was submitted to the USMS Rules Committee for consideration.

Rules Committee Response:

I just heard from the Rules Committee (Rules Chair, Kathy Casey) and they will not recognize the time trial. Tellingly, to me, as a lawyer, she "looked through the rule book to see if this could be done" rather than looking to see if anything prohibited it. Not a pro swimmer approach. Moreover, generally, as a legal matter, if something is not prohibited, it is permissible. She cited two rules allegedly governing "trials/finals," Rules 102.10.1A and 102.6. The referee has "discretion" over the running of the meet. However, he/she cannot "change the order of events."

I don't have my own copy of the rules, and need to print an online copy. However, I'm not sure the analysis is correct. I'm not sure the time trial "changed the order of events" (it was at the end of the meet) and I'm not sure it can really even be considered an "event." It is possibly more analogous to a "heat," which meet officials control. However, it may also not fall into either category.

In fact, from what I understand, there is no actual rule(s): (1) explicitly governing time trials; (2) mandating that an announcement of a time trial must be made at the meet; or (3) saying that post meet event recognition is impermissible. If true, the time trial need not have been disallowed at all.

In addition, Ms. Casey stated that the "real problem" was that, if I was doing it for top ten purposes, I could knock someone out of the top ten. Well, this is ridiculous. My prior 30.76 was easily in the USMS top ten. I would have knocked no one out if my 29.99 had counted. So the self-professed is pretty nonsensical.

I was also told -- and this really takes the cake -- that, according to the skeptical NJ board member who requested the referral to the Rule Committee in the first place (or else it would have been approved), that this was tantamount to a non-USMS swimmer seeking recognition for a time they swam at an non-USMS meet to register for USMS after the fact to have the time "count." What?! A request for event recognition that was approved by the meet director, meet referee and NJ Chair was sent to the Rules Committee on this basis?!

My situation is in no way comparable. I am a USMS swimmer swimming at a USMS sanctioned meet in a race that was in a legal measured pool, with officials and timers in place, and I was acting in reliance on the meet officials and meet referee. In this situation, I feel it is the meet personnel who should be penalized, not the swimmer. All meet conditions were in place and the supposed "real problem" did not exist.

I fee that I've been "ruled" against based on non-existent rules. It would have been just as easy, and more logical, to construe the rules in my favor.

Protest?

Moreover, I have no idea how this even became an issue in the first place, whether someone protested it and whether that protest was in writing. Here is the protest rule, which was not complied with, as my time disappeared days after the meet:

"Any other protest arising from the competition itself shall be made within 30 minutes after the alleged infraction took place."

also

'"Protests concerning interpretation of the rules...shal be submitted in writing (on paper or in an electronic file) within 10 days to the USMS Rules Committee chair, who shall issue a decision in writing within five days of the date of receipt of such protest, unless the USMS Rules Committee chair notifies the parties that the issue must come before the entire committee. The ruling shall be final and binding on all parties."

Problems raised by this issue:

This presents a myriad of problems:

1. Why are the swimmers penalized instead of the meet officials? Why aren't the rules interpreted in a pro-swimmer manner?

2. Why is there such inconsistency in treatment? Some times, even recent ones, were not done in accordance with the rules, and yet they count. Meets and meet directors do not follow the same rules; they all run differently. How can this be fixed? Are swimmers really expected to bring their own rule books and lasers to the pool? Why is mine singled out when I was acting in good faith and relying on meet officials? And why can I not learn precisely why there even became a "problem" with my time in the first place and why it disappeared from the event ranking database?

3. How can times just disappear without swimmers being notified? It's like being DQ'd after the fact and not being told of the DQ. If I can be DQ'd and it's not my fault, I don't want to participate in the first place.

4. What the heck are the rules anyway? Of the myriad people I consulted, I got many different answers. Only one gave me the answer the Rules Committee ultimately issued. Maybe there should be a "pitfalls" section on meet entry forms? Obviously, most masters swimmers are not aware of the actual rules.

5. It is troublesome that even the rules enforcers don't know the rules -- even those running Zones Championships meets. How about these people learn the rules? If they don't know the rules, penalize them and not the swimmers. But to throw a legal swim out after the fact? On the other hand, if an explicit "rule" on time trials is not in the rule book, how can they know the rule?

6. Rules need to be drafted or modified with respect to time trials. Instead of interpreting or stretching existing rules or offering rationalizations or underlying but non-codified "real reasons" (not in the rules) why something "must" be done, spell it out: "time trials will only count in X circumstances." Otherwise, inequities will continue to occur. In general, I think time trials should either count or not, one way or the other. Having them count "sometimes" and "depending" will only create problems.

I am just disgusted. My 3 best events in SCM will not only not appear in the FINA lists for 2008, they will not appear in the all time top ten list where they belong. It's not that much consolation right now to say, "well, you know what you swam." Yes, I do. But we swimmers swim for time and compete against the clock. We swim at meets, and taper for meets, and prepare for meets, and travel to meets (sometimes at our family's expense), so that our times "count" and so that we can measure ourselves against our competitors in the nation and world wide. To have them thrown out after the fact and without notice, is dismal.

I have no idea if there is a right of appeal. But I have inquired.

Updated December 22nd, 2008 at 03:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Stroke Day, December 21

by , December 21st, 2008 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam with my team this morning. First time in ages as our pool's been close for USS meets most weekends in December.

Warm up:

1200 of various swim, kick, pulls, drills, scull was assigned. I did 700.

Main Set:

4 x through:

1 x 200 IM on 3:00
    4 x 50 choice on :50
    4 x 25 AFAP on :30
    #1 fly
    #2 back
    #3 breast
    #4 free
    extra 30 seconds rest

(I really enjoyed this set. Worked the 200 IMs and 25s. Cruised the 50s doing backstroke with good technique.)

50 EZ

Kick Set:

1 x 300 kick on 5:30
    3 x 100 kick on 1:50
    4 x 24 kick on 1:00 AFAP

200 C/D

15 minutes in the hottub trying to ease the calf muscles and yucking with a couple teammates.

Total: 3650

Thoughts:

The kick set was sort of a waste for me. I was getting calf cramps throughout, and had to skip a couple 50s. On reflection, I think this was partly because the kick set was at the very end of practice. I'm used to doing kick sets after warm up or in the middle of my own practices. My lanemate had the same issues and swam the set instead.

Was mulling over the "two meet taper" approach. Ande did very well swimming at Ron John and Long Beach just "holding" his speed/taper. Wally Dicks swam at the Dolan meet, and did very well, and then went to a meet last weekend at the Cantonville Y in MD (crap pool) and swam 26.3 in the 50 breast -- a huge PB. He called it his "6 week taper." Sometime I'd like to try this approach and see what happens, although it would be a whole lot of tapering.

Was sore today from weights. Still wheezing a little. Didn't bother to SDK much at all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saturday, December 20

by , December 20th, 2008 at 03:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    35-40 minutes at the gym doing weights and core (yes, I did weights 3x this week!)

30 minutes on the ellipse. Had been planning on the treadmill, but wasn't wearing my running shoes.

5-10 minutes of stretching

Absolutely no hychondriacal issues to report. Feel great. Having dinner with friends tonight, and going to my team practice tomorrow for the first time in ages.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, December 19

by , December 19th, 2008 at 03:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just got in an hour at the gym today. No cardio. Did weights and core work.

Saw someone I knew back when I was a shark corporate lawyer and he said, "Wow, what have you been doing? You're so buff." Hmmm .... This only further proves my theory that swimming makes me a tank and that weights definitely make you buff. So Paul Smith and the lovely Laura are dead wrong!

Decided to sneak into a USS meet (PV January Open) to do my first 200 backstroke where no masters swimmers can hoot and howl and make fun of me. (Of course Mini-Fort and her coaches may have a good yuck, but that's another matter.) No idea what to put down as a seed time, really. But, safe to say, I do not plan on taking it out fast. I thought about swimming the 200 IM on Sunday for one very fleeting moment, but quickly came to my senses and decided to go to my team practice that day instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Maintenance, Thursday, December 18

by , December 18th, 2008 at 03:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Arrived at the pool and did not feel any FAF whatsoever. lol Still wheezy. A bit tired too perhaps, haven't had a day off since Zones. But I need my endorphins right now. Decided to do more aerobic/maintenance type work. I may stay on this course, at least with swimming, through the holidays with just a little speed here and there.

Warm up:

700 swim, kick, drill

5 x 100 single arm fly drill on 1:45

Aerobic Sets:

4 x 100 dolphin kick on back with MF on 1:30
    3 x 100 IM on 1:45
    2 x 100 backstroke kick on 1:45
    1 x 100 backstroke, somewhat fast
    2 x 100 backstroke kick on 1:45
    3 x 100 IM on 1:45
    4 x 100 dolphin kick with board on 1:45

50 EZ

500 fartlek dolphin kick on back with MF

100 EZ

Total: 3750
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Grinchy Humor

by , December 17th, 2008 at 08:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I've been a bit stuffed up, sore throat and a cough the last few days. Thought perhaps the hypochondriasis was kicking in and/or I was getting a cold. But nooooo .... Just had a massive hive attack. Believe I am allergic to the xmas trees. They bothered me last year, but not this bad. I just don't want my allergies to spiral out of control -- or else I will become Wolf Girl. Ack! Off to look for benadryl and inhaler ... I seriously would prefer to stay "robustly" healthy.

Updated December 17th, 2008 at 10:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Aerobic Work, Wednesday, December 17

by , December 17th, 2008 at 04:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Finally got around to doing some aerobic work today. Good thing too. I needed something not too difficult as my mind is off on a frolic and banter with xmas looming.

Warm up:

700 variety swim and kick

Aerobic Sets:

30 x 50, done as:
    1-10, backstroke (good technique) on :50
    11-20, dolphin kick with MF on :40
    21-30, freestyle (work on DPS) on :45
    (extra 30 seconds rest between each 10)

50 EZ

16 x 25, alternate EZ speed fly and EZ

50 EZ

Lactate Set:

5 x 50 dolphin kick on back with MF on 1:30 (went around 24.5ish)

200 C/D

Total: 3150

Updated December 17th, 2008 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Tuesday, December 16

by , December 16th, 2008 at 12:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class.

75 minutes in the gym doing weights, core, RC work and stretching. I've been adding sit-ups on the incline bench. They're getting easier. I was admiring Patrick's commitment to the Jason Lezak sprint program. I'm going to have to look at that more closely.

On the hypochondriasis front, my left shin is twingey near the inside of my ankle. This is where I previously had a stress fracture. When I get this twingey feeling, it either means I ran too much or need new running shoes. lol
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Kickin' It, Monday, December 15

by , December 15th, 2008 at 01:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, my legs are a bit tired from running this last week. Can't resist indulging in running after a taper meet though. I miss it after a couple weeks of cutting back. However, I'm pretty certain that, when tapering, the most important thing I need to do is rest my legs. That only works if I cut out lifting, spinning, running, and monofinning a couple weeks before a big meet or a week before an in season meet.

Chatted with Mr. Fort about my travel schedule. I never travel (at least via air plane) more than 1-2 times a year, as more isn't really feasible with my family commitments. But, I'm pretty much set on going to Auburn in February and Indianapolis in August. (Although I'm slightly worried that vacation planning may interfere with or derail Indianapolis. We'll see on that.) I also plan on going back to Rutgers in December. I really liked the facility and it's less than 4 hours away.

Spent some time looking at the Order of Events for Auburn. There is only one event between the 100 back/50 fly and between the 100 IM/50 free on Saturday and one event between the 100 fly/50 back and between the 50 back/200 back on Sunday. And the 100s, which are harder to recover from, are before the 50s. Right now, I'm thinking I'll swim:

Saturday: (And I am absolutely over the 1:15 pm start)

100 IM
    50 free
    50 fly
    (pass on the 100 back and go for a fast 50 fly)

Sunday: (9:30 am start)

100 fly
    (Must swim this event here because I can't at CZ Zones)
    50 back
    200 back
    (Can't decide whether to swim the 200 back or go for a 100 back split. I'd like to improve on the 1:04.7 that I swam on Geek 9:27.
    Or, to get more recovery time, I could swim the 50 breast, which despite my aversion to, I am wont to do on occasion.)

Today's Workout, a quicky with lots of kicking:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick

5 x 100 one arm fly drill on 2:00

Kick Sets

16 x 25 UW shooters with MF
    4 each on belly, left side, right side, back

50 EZ

2 X (5 x 50 fast on 1:15 + 50 EZ)
    5 fast flutter kick with board and 5 fast backstroke kick, legs burning here

50 EZ

500 dolphin kick on back with MF
    (I notice kicking on my back seems to work the upper and mid abs more than when kicking with a board)

100 EZ

Total: 2800
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2008 at 05:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went to my team holiday brunch today. Great fun and everyone looks so different dry and in street clothes. lol Among other things, we chatted about the B140 or even B210 issue. Apparently, the college teams double suiting (before the ban) were using the B70 underneath and the LZR on top. Other schools are sharing B70s among their swimmers. Mason is getting LZRs for only those men and women going to Conference Champs. We also chatted briefly about Indy Nats, and I'm hopeful some of my teammates will go so that we can participate on relay day.

Got home, made Christmas cookies for hours and hours and then went on a 5 mile trail run at the W&OD.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Saturday, Dec. 13

by , December 13th, 2008 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo, even got my own lane on a Saturday. A miracle! The ever-present MF helped with that. I ripped off a couple of Chris's sets before strolling out the door and had a nice workout.

Warm up:

750 variety warm up of swim, kick, drills, builds

Speed Set:

8 x 25 AFAP,
    2 of each stroke, 25 easy after each

I decided to do this at the beginning of my workout as ehoch had suggested on his Speed Zone thread. Not sure I was warmed up enough. Didn't feel zippy. Next time, I might try doing it after I get a short aerobic set in.

50 EZ

Endurance Kick Set: Kick Mountain
    I did Chris's set on Chris's intervals, but with a board AND monofin.

50 kick on :35
    100 kick on 1:30
    150 kick on 2:15
    200 kick on 2:45
    150 kick on 2:15
    100 kick on 1:30
    50 kick on :45

100 EZ

Speed Set #2:
    (another one adapted from Chris's workout)

5 x (3 x 50) on 1:00
    #1 easy
    #2 drill
    #3 fast, about 90-95% (did them all backstroke and was around 27s)

100 EZ

500 dolphin kick on back with MF holding about a 1:10 per 100 tempo

100 EZ

Total: 3550

Updated December 14th, 2008 at 03:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, December 12

by , December 12th, 2008 at 04:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went on a 5 mile LSD trail run this morning. Forgot my running gloves like a total idiot. Ran some of the time with my hands in my jacket pockets. Almost got hit by a deer jumping out of hedge. My first thought, of course, was "just not my shoulder." lol

1 hour at the gym doing weights and core.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday, Dec. 11

by , December 11th, 2008 at 03:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    700 variety warm up

Aerobic set:

5 x 200 on 3:00
    (free, back, free, back, free)

Kick set:

10 x 100 kick with monofin, alternate medium speed and a little bit faster speed (around 1:05s)

50 EZ

Speed/technique work:

5 x (4 x 25) on :40 or so
    #1 easy speed fly with MF
    #2 easy
    #3 AFAP shooter with MF
    #4 easy

100 EZ

I rarely do any full stroke fly with a MF. Decided to try some 25s that way. It may help keep my feet down some so that I'm not kicking as much air. So then I tried:

3 x 50 easy speed fly with MF, followed by 50 EZ after each (went 25s). Definitely can't get the feet out as much and feel flatter in the water. I may get a bigger MF meant for swimming. Mine is the finis shooter MF meant for kicking.

50 AFAP with MF on back (:23 with a bad turn)

200 easy

Total: 3900

Still feel pretty speedy in the water despite running and spinning.

Walked out of the pool into the locker room and absolutely smashed my left shoulder into a thermostat. Damn, it hurt. Then I went home and smashed it again while putting up tree light.

Updated December 11th, 2008 at 04:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Wednesday, Dec. 10

by , December 10th, 2008 at 10:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just went for a quicky 3 mile run today. Then spent the rest of the day xmas shopping -- and I hate shopping in malls -- and being rather agitated over a swimming issue. Hope it goes away. Going to swim tomorrow for sure.

Updated December 11th, 2008 at 08:24 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tuesday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2008 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class.
    (Definitely didn't work too hard. Just got some cardio in.)

20-25 minutes of RC and core work

Recovery swim in the hot 25 meter gym pool:

700 warm up
    10 x 100 on 1:50, alternate back and backstroke kick, pretty slo mo
    400 IM drill
    hottub

Total: 2100 meters

Still tired and sore. It seems, just in the last couple years, that it take me longer to recover from meets. I've been very tired after both the Sprint Classic and this meet even though I only swam one day. If the last meet is any indication, I'll probably feel better by Thursday or so. Sheesh!

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Monday, December 8

by , December 8th, 2008 at 10:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Out of taper hell!

Although I feel like a mac truck ran over me ... Always do after meets. I have no idea how some people swim multiple meets in a month or even two weekends in a row. I need recovery time! Plus, I seem to be following Patrick Brundage's "remixed" regimen of wine and more junk food. lol

Went on a 5 mile trail run even though it is freezing cold here. Since I hadn't run in 2 weeks, it felt great and I was really happy to be outside!

With respect to Zones, my coach emailed me and told me to grow out my fingernails for the Albatross meet. Had a laugh and thought of Ande. Last time I had fingernails, I put a huge rip in a new Pro at the NE Champs and was stuck wearing a very old Pro and FS I. So not too inclined to do that again! I know the B70s are more durable. But, still, I know a fast chick who shredded her B70 at LC Zones with fingernails.

SwimStud youtubed my 50 fly time trial from on deck. Here it is, horrific start and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Wb_-kSFPs

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 08:26 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. SCM Zones Results

by , December 7th, 2008 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went better than I thought it would! Drove up Saturday afternoon. Arrived at Rutgers around 5:00. Just in time to see Michael Ross' 200 free and Chris Stevenson's 200 back. Seriously sick fast swims! Also got to see some fast 200 backs from forumites SwimmieAvsFan and Julie Oplinger. Met Patrick Brundage -- super guy and he had a fabulous meet. Met Tom Patterson too, and he was burning up the water with a zillion events and PBs as well.

Had dinner and beers with the PV/VA/CONN gang. Tried to sleep. Hit the pool on Sunday -- nice facility! Love to go there again. I definitely preferred it to BU where I swam NE SCM Champs last year. Got up early because the timeline didn't show a warm up after the 400 IM, and then they had a 30 minute one ... Hmmm ... At least it gave me an opportunity to hop in the competition pool and do some freestyle turns on the bulkhead where the T was pretty far away.

Still felt like crap. Tired and groggy. This is maybe the worst I've felt before a meet. I had tried to ignore this feeling all week pretty successfully (after being told several times that when you feel like crap you nonetheless swim fast), but was in a major paranoid mood this morning. Thankfully, I got over it and, as Jim Thornton said, I don't have to swim in the Infirmary Olympics.

Event #1, 50 free, 28.56
    (previous best was 28.7 from last Dec.; swam a 29.2 last March)

Felt awful, probably hadn't sprinted enough in warm up. This was definitely a "getting the cobwebs out" swim. Got a calf cramp on the turn and couldn't kick as much. Just didn't have my super duper sprint groove. But I'm glad 50 free was first since I didn't care about that as much as my other two events. And I'll definitely take the time!! Just think I coulda gone a couple tenths faster if it wasn't an AM swim and wasn't my first event. However, I must admit that, after this event, I was thinking that I would never rest/taper again. lol. Still felt like crap and was thinking I over-rested. I was wrong.

Event #2, 100 fly, No Swim! lol

Only had about 20 minutes after the 50 free, which I had already sandbagged. In my then state of mind, there was no way I was stepping up on the blocks for 4 lengths of fly with such short rest. Arranged for a 50 fly time time trial after the relays instead. Had about an hour to rest before my next event.

Event #3, 100 IM, 1:11.8

My previous best in a Pro was a 1:15.2 -- so this was a huge improvement. I was super happy. Think it was a much faster swim than Austin, where I swam a 1:06.8 in SCY. Splits were impeccable as usual -- 32.5 (and this was easy speed only) and 39.3. Hahaha. Glided into the turn big time from breast to free. Chris S. said I need to get a real back to breast turn as well. I've only done the flip once, and it wasn't a huge success, so haven't worked on it at all in a year. Maybe something for the to do list. This is definitely my best 100 IM ever, so might be worth focusing on. I didn't stay under water SDK-ing nearly as long as I did in Austin, so I probably had more oxygen.

Event #4, 50 fly time trial, 29.99, Missed tieing the WR by .01

World record (KPN) was 29.98. The last time I swam the 50 fly in SCM was in June with a B70 and I went 30.7. And I was really happy with that time, as it was an improvement on the 31.3 I swam last December. Thought I had no real shot at the record, but wanted to see if I could improve on my prior time some. Wow, I was shocked to get so close. Especially since I didn't have much rest after the 100 IM. So I was thrilled! Swim Stud video'd the race -- plenty of power and speed and absolutely sucky starts and turns. Poor breakout and a bit of glide into the turn. Wolf Girl would have been cluck clucking. (Yes, I see on FB he already said my start "blew".) No matter! My fly and back seem to really be rockin' lately. Now if this time doesn't give fins a good name, I can't think what else will!!

(Edit: Since my fly time converts to a 26+, I think that is a lifetime best. First ever as a master!)

And now, of course, I wish I had had a crack at improving my 50 (31.7) and 100 (1:11.7) backstroke times from IGLA. But a girl/mommy can't have everything. Unfortunately, I heard that FINA is still not recognizing IGLA results. I feel sorry for the WR setters at that meet. I'm also bummed about my 50 back because the time I swam currently would be #3 on the FINA All Time Top Ten list, and it may not make it there.

Had lunch with the gang and drove straight to GMU to watch my kid swim in the finals at the Dolan meet. Avoided excess mommy guilt! Really happy with my 100 IM and 50 fly.

A friend asked me what I thought accounted for my improvements in fly over the last year. I'm not completely sure, BUT, I have been swimming 5x a week most of the year instead of 4x a week (although low yardage to be sure), have been kicking more the last year and have been lifting somewhat more the last year. I'm sure I have lots of improvement to do in the latter category still.

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 03:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Friday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2008 at 02:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    800 warm up

4 x 25 easy speed fly, 25 EZ after each

200 easy

Total: 1200

Hit the hottub for 10 minutes and took a long hot shower to try to ease the muscle tightness across my back and shoulders. It's probably from all the tossing and turning, and probably why my fly feels like crap. No matter, I'm in a fabulous mood and refuse to dwell on it.

Also tried the Speedo Aqua V cap today. My goggles would barely stay on with it, it's so slippery. It also gave me an insta-headache. I'll have to bring excedrin to the meet if I use that thing ...

Spent the morning at the Tom Dolan meet. Only one masters swimmer there, but he schooled the young studs. Wally Dicks broke the national records in the Mens 45-49 50 and 100 breast, in 27.3 and 58.94. The 27.3 was his 50 split in the open 100. That's bookin'! We'll see how fast he is tonight. Edit: He swam a 58.55 tonight. Woot!

And, happily, my clutzy evilstroker swam well, making champ finals in her beloved evilstroke. It's seriously hard to believe she's my daughter with the state of my own evilstroke.

Driving to NJ tomorrow. Looked at the timeline. The 50 back isn't even until 4:00 and the 50 fly is at 5:30 .... I could easily have made it down in time to warm up and swim. Kinda disappointed about that. But I'll just hit the pool and cheer for friends before hitting the Harvest Moon Brewery where someone will be celebrating a birthday.

Updated December 5th, 2008 at 09:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2008 at 03:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still resting:

700 warm up

5 x 50 fly drill
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 smooth free with overkick
    50 EZ
    3 x AFAP free, 50 EZ after each
    100 EZ

Total: 1575

Had a fabulous chat with my very first masters coach today. (He is a NOVA coach out in Cali now.) I totally credit him for getting me back in the pool and teaching me how to swim again (or at least for the 4 months before he moved). He's the best, a real technician! We talked about the 100 fly for awhile. He said, if he were still coaching me, he wouldn't have me do anything longer than 25s with an occasional fast 50 or 100. He said "train free" or do a lot of free-fly stuff. But otherwise nothing but quality or very fast 25s. That's pretty much what Paul and Ande said on the "training for the 100 fly" thread, as I recall. Since my shoulders don't like long fly sets, I think I pretty much have to embrace this strategy.

He also reminded me that, when I first started masters, I said "I'm just too old to swim the 100 fly." lol. I had forgotten about that, although it did take me awhile to overcome my 100 fly fear. He also told me that I am a 50 freestyler and that I should focus on that event. He "knows me better than me," he says. Hmmm .... I guess coaches can sometimes see things you can't see yourself?

On another note, my Zones entries were straightened out and I now officially an evil 50 free sandbagger. However, I noticed that I am not the only sandbagger in that event, as Fall W. is seeded at :55.

Also, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights. Really tossing and turning. This is another evil result of evil resting. No sound sleep. At least I slept well last week!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2008 at 03:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

700 variety warm up

10 x 50 on 1:05, alternate backstroke kick and backstroke, moderate pace

50 EZ

8 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy

50 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP free, 50 easy after each 25

100 EZ

Total: 1900

Thoughts:

Resting is very odd. I absolutely hate resting and miss all my cross training, especially running on sunny days like today. But when I cut back and do nothing but some sprinting and recovery swimming in the pool, I seem to get really lazy and can't wait to get out of the water from even my short little swim ... Seems like a complete waste of time. I was even daydreaming about a nap today. Need to get back to regular training. Or I'll be an even bigger tank than Puff is becoming!

A friend commented that she couldn't believe I was resting this week for 3 events. I thought that was plenty of events for one day! Although I do really wish I was swimming both days of the meet this weekend.

Fly still feels like crap. Not sure why.

Think I need to do more overkicking freestyle drills. I'm a pretty fast flutter kicker, but don't think I'm getting anywhere near max kick when I'm sprinting free. And Hulk has told me this too.

Still haven't heard from the Zones meet director via email. Will check the psych sheets again.

Updated December 3rd, 2008 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized