http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Friday, Jan. 23

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 11:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a wicked bad case of insomnia last night. Hate when that happens! It seems I can never sleep well when I know I have to get up early. Finally fell asleep around 3:00 am and got up at 6:00 am to take Mr. Fort and Fort girls to the airport. Fortunately, I went home and went back to bed. (Yes, I know this is bad sleep hygiene, but I plan on sleeping in whilst the fam is away!) Unlike Patrick, weights (or exercise even) have no correlation with my ability to fall or stay asleep.

PM:

Went to the gym. Did about 35 minutes of weights and core work. Did different exercises than the day before. Even did a mini bench press with 15 pound free weights, at Stud's suggestion. Didn't tweak anything, so I may persevere on the bench pressing at light weights. I feel a little wimpy about it, as I used to bench press well more than my weight in college. But c'est la vie! Did some leg extensions today too. Need to do these more as they are good for dolphin kicking.

Later PM:

Dropped kids off at the movies and went to the gym pool. SCM -- I generally add 10 seconds to my usual intervals. Did a longish (for me) workout since I wasn't rushed.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

5 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00

Kick Mountain Endurance set:
    (did the climb dolphin kick with board and the descend dolphin kick on my back. all at 20 second RIs)

50 kick
    100 kick
    150 kick
    200 kick
    200 kick
    150 kick
    100 kick
    50 kick

Aerobic Sets:
    (modified and shortened a set of Chris's from earlier in the week)

4 x 100 back @ 1:50
    4 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:10
    fast, EZ, fast, EZ
    3 x 100 back @ 2:00
    (5 seconds faster than previous set)
    4 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:10
    fast, EZ, fast, EZ
    (was hacking due to poor air quality. bubble pool. had to get out and use my inhaler. put on fins)
    2 x 100 back @ 2:00 (went 1:10s)
    2 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:10, fast, EZ
    1 x 100 EZ
    (meant to do this fast, but was hacking and worried about a full blown asthma attack, so backed off.)

20 x 25, alternate easy speed fly, easy, working on DPS and staying flat

100 C/D

Total: 4300 meters

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:25 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Triple, Thursday, Jan. 22

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 07:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Worked all morning, but had the afternoon clear until 4:30 -- a rarity. Took advantage and did a triple -- run, weights, swim.

First, went on a 5 mile trail run. I haven't been running since Dec. 25. Very unusual for me, but the cold weather has just turned me off. Today, it broke 40 and was sunny.

Drove to the Rec Center and lifted weights for 25-30 minutes. (see, Q, ). Intended to go swimming there, but forgot my swimsuit. Argh. Had to drive home to get it and go swimming in the hot gym pool instead. Ripped off and remixed a set that Chris did yesterday.

SCM, solo:

Warm up:

10 x 25 UW fly spin drill w/MF

Main set:

4 x 100 IM @ 2:10, broken at the 50 for 10 seconds (used this to get the heart rate up)
    4 x 50 back @ 1:10, @ 200 pace
    (went 39ish)
    100 EZ
    2 x 200 dolphin kick @ 4:00 w/board & MF, break at 50 for 10 seconds
    (went 32, 32, 33, 34 on both 200s. these hurt. had to do a 50 EZ after)
    4 x 50 fly @ 1:10, @ 200 pace
    (went 32s with fins)
    100 EZ
    4 x 100 back @ 2:10 w/ fins, broken at the 50 for 10 seconds
    (went 35-36 for first 3 and 34-35 on last one)
    (ran out of time for the last set of 4 x 50s)

200 C/D

Total: 3000 meters

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  3. Wednesday, Jan. 21

by , January 21st, 2009 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

The lanes were more crowded than usual today. Several lanes were closed due to installation of new drains pursuant to the Pool & Spa Safety Act. Interestingly, none of our local pools seem to have been closed for any time due to the statute. In any event, I had to do less fly than I had planned on.

Warm up:

Kick set:

12 x 100 kick, descend 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 to fast
    50 EZ between sets

1-4 = dolphin kick on back with MF @ 1:45
    5-8 = backstroke kick @ 2:00
    9-12 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:45

Didn't go quite as fast as usual on these. Still felt fatigued from last night's workout. My fastest MF 100 was :57.

200 EZ

Lactate set:

5 x 50 @ 3:00 AFAP backstroke with fins,
    50 EZ after each
    went about 26.5ish on each
    wanted to do more, but my stomach has been a bit queasy since last night. hope it doesn't presage something worse ...

100 EZ

Technique work:

10 x 50 @ 1:05
    odds: breaststroke working on pullouts, hinging, lunging and neutral head position
    evens: fly drill, 3 l, 3 r, 1 both

100 C/D

Total: 3400

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:27 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Long Axis Night

by , January 20th, 2009 at 11:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

60 minutes at the gym this afternoon doing weights, core and RC. Didn't go crazy since I hadn't lifted since last Tuesday.

Team Workout:

Swam with my team tonight. Tuesday is always freestyle night. To me, that translates to long axis night.

Warm up:

200 swim
    200 kick
    200 drill
    200 kick
    200 swim
    (I skipped 200 chatting with my coach about last weekend's meet.)

Main sets:

assigned:
    800 freestyle pull, every 4th 50 fast
    did:
    4 x 200 backstroke, 4th 50 fast, :30 RI
    (I never pull; the guys on my team just love pulling though.)

50 EZ

10 x 100 free with fins @ 1:20
    (I did 5 free and 5 back. Held about 1:09s on back.)

50 EZ

8 x 75 @ 1:40 w/pull buoy
    (back, breast, scull -- odds on stomach, evens on back)
    (I don't own a pull buoy. I did the backstroke portion going 15 meters UW, dolphin kicked on breast and did V sit scull, which is tough on the forearms)

50 EZ

Speed set:

assigned:
    16 x 25, 4 x through:

3 fast free @ :30
    1 easy back @ 1:00

did: (since no kicking)
    UW shooters with fins instead of the fast frees

200 C/D

Got my splits from the races Sunday.

200 back:

1:08.36 (36.24)
    1:45.13 (36.97)
    2:22.36 (37.23)

Seems like a typical sprinter 200 back: out too fast. But for a first effort, I'm fine with it. I actually *tried* to go out at a leisurely pace. And my first 50 reflects, in part, popping off a good start. A backstroker teammate told me that, when she first started doing masters 200 backs, she had the same problem: always too fast the first 50. Now, she says she has to tell herself to go faster the first 50. lol

My only other thought on the 200 back is that my legs didn't hurt as much as everyone warned me. It just hurt all over at the end. I'm attributing this to all my kicking and fin work. Probably helped in this event.

200 IM -- I think I'll keep those splits "secret." I did, as previously confessed, bonk on free. The most interesting split was my first 50 fly: 29.29. Little surprised at this as I was *trying* to go very very slowly, was hardly kicking at all and had slight cramping in both calves. Maybe I just have no slow gear on fly ... I thought I was taking it out slower than my last 100 fly in October when I was out in 30.2 or 30.4 or thereabouts. So I was rather surprised to see this split. Thinking my 100 fly should be faster at Auburn ...

Total: 3950

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  5. Recovery Day, Monday Jan. 19

by , January 19th, 2009 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just a short recovery swim today. Ande told me he's not too sore after meets, but I always feel pretty for a couple days. Hoping to get in a good workout tomorrow, although my kids are out of school for the Inauguration, which could prove problematic.

SCM at the hot gym pool:

700 warm up
    8 x 100 back on 2:00
    300 C/D
    20 minutes in the hottub

Paul Wolf and I were chatting about 200 IMs. We decided it would be much better if you could swim the strokes in any order you wanted. I would definitely opt for fly-breast-free-back, if that were an option.

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:29 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Practically Naked

by , January 18th, 2009 at 10:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Ventured back to the pool today to swim another 200. The vlogger guessed it -- 200 IM. Naturally, I fully intended and would have preferred to swim it with my B70. Indeed, I brought my 23+ swims B70 to the pool for this very purpose!

But as fans of Vlad the Vlogger, that evil disseminator of private text messages, already know, I busted a huge hole in the suit. A friend, scyfreestyler, said: "I told you to kick ass, not show ass." Fortunately, for everyone involved, I did NOT pull a Laura Smith, as my wardrobe malfunction occurred in the privacy of the locker room. Right on the heels of having set a PR by shimmying into it in 2 minutes flat ... Perhaps that was a sign ... Spurned, I reached into my bag and, lo and behold, I left the Hineck Pro I wore for yesterday's 200 back on the drying rack ... So I was forced to borrow a dry suit from my daughter: bright pink floral Splish suit.

Thusly attired, and with 30 years of rust, I rather cautiously approached the blocks for the event. I was spurred on by the sure knowledge that my daughter would never let me live it down if I didn't swim (and would be thrilled to be so much faster than me) and that Stevenson (or others) would haul out the "ninny" word. So I gamely gave it a whirl and finished in a 2:26.35.

I must confess I completely bonked on the last 50. No gas left at all. I was also coffee breaking on the turns. Don't know what my splits were as I was swimming in a different pool than my daughter. (Her coaches sometimes get my splits.) Still, I was happy with the time, and suspect I would have gone roughly 2 seconds faster if properly clad.

Thoughts:

Woke up today and despite a lot of stretching and fluids my calves were still sore from the cramping yesterday. They cramped again right on the start. I think this reduced my enjoyment of the race. I felt like I was SDK-ing like a wee baby. lol Stud says I need to try tonic water.

I also wish I could say I liked this event like Hulk, but, truly, I did not. That was the most pain I've felt as a masters swimmer since the piano fell on my long course 100 fly this summer. Ack. This event might have been a little ambitious for me, and is definitely not for drop dead sprinters. The 200 back seemed comparatively easier. But, still, I'm glad I broke out of my comfort zone this weekend and tried two new events.

I took 3 strokes from the flags before flipping on backstroke today. Was very close to the wall. I guess now that I have a ripped B70, I can haul the thing with me to the pool and practice turns in it. (Tank underneath of course.)

Didn't swim the 100 back today. My seed time hadn't been changed in the system. Wouldn't have gotten enough rest. Reminder never to even think of doing back to back events.

I really didn't enjoy swimming without a tech suit and have no intention whatsoever of repeating this incident!!!!!! I guess I know not to push B70's 25 swims promise without a back up suit.

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  7. 30 Year Hiatus Ended! Sat., Jan 17

by , January 17th, 2009 at 09:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Broke out of my drop dead sprinter mold today!

Swam the 200 back for the first time in 30 years. (Never swam it as a freshman in college because we had a designated backstroker.) I'm glad I did it too, even though it's a decidedly different kind of pain than sprinting -- an insidious creeping all over kind of pain. Couldn't do it on a regular basis though.

I was secretly hoping to go around 2:26, as that was the cut off for Top Ten last year. Went a 2:22.36 ... very happy with the time. The swim, however, was, er, an adventure. Calves cramped slightly on the start. But mainly I had a hard time negotiating all the turns. Ideally, I need to take 2 and 1/2 strokes from the flags in before flipping. If I take 2, I glide in; if I take 3, I jam the wall. Decided to take 2 today and glided in big time to most of my turns. My streamlines off the wall weren't so great either. Didn't want to SDK much, but overcompensated and broke out too early. Obviously, my inexperience showed. These things never really discourage me, though, they just make me realize I could go faster if I fixed the problems.

Despite how blastedly tired I felt when the race ended and now, I'm not completely dissuaded from trying it again. (This thought does not apply to the 200 fly, which I still will not try under any known circumstances.)

Don't know what my splits were as the results aren't posted yet.

Still trying to decide whether to swim the 100 backstroke right before my secret event tomorrow or just the secret event. Probably just the latter unless I wake up loads of energy. I love cruising into USS meets and only doing an event or two with no pressure for practice.

I did end up signing up for the 200 backstroke at Auburn, though not the open 100 as it's right before the 50 fly. So I have to decide whether to swim it for a 100 split or just swim it. It would be my last event of the meet. And, by the way, I can't imagine swimming any event within a couple hours of a 200. Those are hard to recover from.

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  8. Just Cruisin', Thursday, Jan. 15

by , January 15th, 2009 at 04:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had an easy day today, so as not to be immediately fatigued for my meet.

Warm up:

Short Aerobic Set:

5 x 100 backstoke @ 1:45
    extra 30 seconds rest or so
    5 x 100 backstroke @ 1:35

Fast 50:

Practiced some backstroke starts. Did a couple with the arms going straight back. This definitely makes me go deeper. I know this is usually a good thing, but I'm not so sure it is for me.

1 x 50 backstroke AFAP from a push with fins (26)

150 C/D

Total: 1900

The meet director graciously agreed to change my seed time in the 100 back, so that I could swim both events on Sunday with a reasonable amount of rest. (Where's the sandbag icon?) When I signed up for this event, I had planned on taking the 100 back out fast for a change and seeing what I had left. My last couple SCY 100 backs, I've been out in a mid to high 31. It has been suggested that this can be improved upon. So I'm hoping I don't chicken out on this plan. Haven't swum the event since September.

Updated January 15th, 2009 at 04:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wednesday, Jan. 14

by , January 14th, 2009 at 04:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove to the pool, got in my suit and POWER OUTAGE. pool closed. Argh! Hopped in car and drove to hot shallow SCM gym pool. Had to cut my warm up short and forego my mermaid set for lack of time. Adapted one of Tall Paul's recent sets.

Warm up:

Modified Tall Paul set:

8 x 100 @ 2:10
    4 back, 4 backstroke kick
    descend 1-4 & 5-8 to fast
    50 easy

4 x 75 IM @ 20-30 RI, descend pace
    (stopped doing these as there is no pace clock on one end and it irritated me)
    put on fins

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    4 backstroke, 4 backstroke kick
    descend 1-4 & 5-8 to AFAP (went :28s on # 4,8)
    50 EZ

8 x 25 fly (no interval), alternate fast/EZ
    50 EZ

100 C/D

Total: 2650 meters

Thinking of taking my FS Pro out of the mothballs for my two events this weekend. I've only worn it at Austin.

Think I'm going to scratch the 100 back on Sunday because there's not enough rest before my secret event. 30 minutes is just not enough for me. Although Wolfy just PM'd me noting that, because all events are positive check in and deck seeded, I might be able to enter a slower time, i.e., you know what. Horrors!

Updated January 14th, 2009 at 06:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Tuesday, Jan. 13

by , January 13th, 2009 at 04:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Chiro love:

Spent 35-40 minutes with my ART/chiro doc. He worked over my neck and shoulders (delts, lats, teres and infraspinatus). I need to get some more specific exercises for my pesky infraspinatus muscle. Really should re-watch my Buchberger video to remember all the different exercises and add some to the RC regimen.

I asked him why neck issues always seem to surface upon getting out of bed in the morning (at least for me). (See, Ande, I'm always ASKING. ) He said that typically the neck issues are related to something you did during the day, and that the neck muscles tighten over night. No idea what I did during the day to cause the neck issue -- I think it occurred after a day off. But it could also be due to restless sleeping.

Pool love:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills
    8 x 25 fly spin drill w/MF

Pre-set:

4 x 75 free @ 1:15

Speed set:
    (with fins except breast)
    (The 25 frees always make me the most tired. Wonder why? Less time under water?)

16 x 25 breast, alternate 25 AFAP, 25 EZ
    16 x 25 back, alternate 25 AFAP, 25 EZ
    16 x 25 free, alternate 25 AFAP, 25 EZ
    8 x 25 fly, alternate 25 AFAP, 25 EZ
    8 x 25 fly, alternate easy speed fly/EZ

100 C/D

Total: 2900

Speed feels a bit off. Probably because I haven't been doing as much AFAP work. After my meet, going to shift into more speed work.

My fly technique is better when I'm going easy speed. I think I am more apt to go into bouncy Stevenson fly mode when I sprint.

Going to take the next couple days fairly easy (around 2500 maybe) and not lift, as my meet is this weekend, not next weekend as I thought. Duh. Good thing Mini-Fort reminded me. Timing not the greatest (again -- I'm cursed. ).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. This is cool!

by , January 12th, 2009 at 10:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Received an belated xmas present from my Mommy today:

http://activewrap.com/products/shoulder/

Trying it out tonight on my often cranky left shoulder. Looks awesome.

Also, had a complete brain fart today. Thought my meet was the weekend after next. No, it's this weekend. I wish I hadn't increased weights today, as I'm already sore. Might take it a bit easy the next couple days so I'm not for my meet. I already have new event jitters as it is! lol

Just saw I was in lane 8 for two of my three events -- my very fav thing in the world. lol At least it's a decent pool.

Updated January 12th, 2009 at 11:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Monday, Jan. 12

by , January 12th, 2009 at 02:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

35 minutes of weights. Increased the weights on a few exercises.

Swim, solo, SCM:

Warm up:

Main set:

Still not feeling 100%, so I did Stud's set again at a fairly mellow pace.

3 x

8 x 25 fly
    4 x 50 back
    2 x 100 breast
    1 x 200 free

I modified it this way:

Rounds #1, 3:

8 x 25 easy speed fly @ :40
    (worked on staying flat and not lifting head up as much to breath)
    4 x 50 back @ :55
    2 x 100 breast @ 2:00
    (worked on taking the dolphin kick at the beginning of the pulldown instead of in the middle consistent with the new rule. I get farther, but it takes more oxygen.)
    1 x 200 backstroke kick @ 4:15, negative spilt

Round #2, all kick, except I swam the breaststroke portion

8 x 25 fast dolphin kick w/ board @ 30
    4 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
    2 x 100 breast @ 2:00
    1 x 200 backstroke kick, negative split

100 dolphin dive

Total: 3200 meters

Sat in the steam room for awhile.

Thoughts:

1. I'm going to try to take Michael/qbrain's advise this week and break my weight/core routine into 5 smaller workouts. This will involve getting to the gym more often. This is somewhat hard for me because the gym pool (which I swam in today as I was short of time) is way too hot. Can't sprint in it. So I have to spend time traveling to another pool. Not sure how this will work out. Can't get through all my weights that quickly. I could just up with 3 shorter sessions of weights. But I'm going to give it a spin and see how the week goes.

2. My neck is killing me! I've wrenched it the last two nights sleeping. I'm often a restless sleeper, so I do this occasionally. Didn't swim any freestyle except in warm up today because it hurt to turn my head to the right. Calling my chiro shortly.

3. Planning a couple sprint & mermaid workouts this week. I can feel that I didn't swim much last week. Would like to be in the water more this week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sunday, Jan. 11

by , January 11th, 2009 at 10:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Took a "sick day" on Saturday and felt better today. Good thing too, because Mr. Fort decamped to Pittsburgh to watch the Steelers this morning and I was booked solid with kid stuff the whole day. Headed to the gym to swim after coaching the summer league kids tonight -- but the pool closed early at 7:45 pm. Boo!

Went home and hopped on my indoor cycle for an hour while watching the Golden Globes. (Really want to go see Doubt and The Reader.) Did a little bit of biking with the toes pointed down a la Jonathan Miller too. Then did 30 minutes of RC exercises and stretching. So I still got in a decent workout.

Paul Smith sent me this backstroke drill. Looks fun, wish I could try it myself. If you can, you should!

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5502/ba...er-pusher.html
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Friday, Jan. 9

by , January 9th, 2009 at 04:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Woke up with cough and congestion threatening my ro-bust health. I'm blaming either Hulk or Thornton for this ... Decided on a yoga swimming/recovery type workout. Probably needed it anyway.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Main Set:

(this is a Stud created set that I last did on Oct. 1)

2 x (200 kick, 200 swim, 2 x 100, 4 x 50, 8 x 25)
    (intended to do 3 rounds, decided not to)

done as:

round #1:

200 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 3:00
    200 smooth backstroke @ 3:10
    2 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    4 x 50 roll backstroke drill @ 1:00
    8 x 25 UW shooter w/MF

50 EZ

round #2:

200 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 3:00
    200 backstroke smooth @ 3:10
    2 x 100 breast drill w/MF @ 1:45
    4 x 50 dolphin kick w/ board @ 1:00
    8 x 25 fly drills (2 x each fly spin drill, one arm fly, caterpillar and chest press fly)

100 C/D

Total: 2900

Updated January 9th, 2009 at 05:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Oh Joy, Weights. Thursday, Jan. 8

by , January 8th, 2009 at 03:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Dragged myself back to the gym today. Spent 75-80 minutes doing weights, core and RC. Didn't do as many sit-ups on the incline bench, as my intercostal muscles are still sore. (No idea what those were until Stud explained. lol) Added in some russian twists to keep up with Dr. Jaegermeister. Didn't increase weight today except for hammers. Made sure to do the external rotation exercises -- Coach Vlog would be proud. And deadlifts -- Coach Smith would be proud.

Stretched for 5 minutes.

Hopped on the Octane Fitness Ellipse machine for 20 minutes. Put it on the glute kicker setting. That got my heart rate up fast!

Stretched for another 5 minutes.

Like Chris, Mr. Fort reminded me last night that I should adapt to the weights relatively soon. I have added a couple additional pulling exercises, so maybe that made my back more sore than usual. I have to confess I'm still not "lifting heavy" like Ande or Jazz. And I only rarely do lat pull downs out of shoulder paranoia. But the pushing and pulling exercises (among others) that I do on the double cable free motion machine seem to be helping. I feel quite a bit stronger than I was in Austin.

I miss running. Haven't gone as much in the last couple weeks because I've been swimming more and the weather has been impossibly cold, rainy and gloomy. I always crave sunshine.

Booked hotel and flight for Auburn.

Confirmed entries for Jan. Open. Plan to swim 2 events on Sunday as well.

Updated January 8th, 2009 at 05:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wednesday, Jan. 7

by , January 7th, 2009 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

The main set was stolen from Chris the "Uber Machine" Stevenson again. Except I cheated and did the first fast set at only medium to medium fast pace. Still, it hurt. Though I'm not quite as traumatized as that last 20 x 100 set.

Warm up:

400 swim
    300 kick
    200 drill

Fast Sets:

#1 Medium to Medium Fast Pace

Didn't pay attention to my times on these really, as I still felt like I was warming up.

150 back
    50 easy, 3:30 interval for the entire 200
    100 backstroke kick
    50 easy, 3:15 interval for the entire 150
    150 back
    50 easy, 3:30 interval for entire 200
    100 backstroke kick
    50 easy, 3:15 interval for entire 150

#2 Fast

Didn't pay attention to the intervals as much. Just gave myself adequate recovery time, not a ton. My shoulder was twingy after the first set, so I used fins, which I like for speedwork anyway. (Sorry, Ande, we're different that way. )

100 back fast (:59)
    50 easy
    50 backstroke kick fast (26.5ish) (really more SDK-ing than backstroke kick)
    50 easy
    100 IM fast (1:01)
    50 easy
    50 flutter kick w/ board fast (27)
    50 easy

#3 Fast:

Had about 30 sec rest after the easy swim. Had to do a 75 instead of a 25 easy after the fast 25s to see the pace clock for the start of the next fast swim. Couldn't see my times on the 25s.

50 fly fast (27)
    50 easy
    25 dolphin kick fast
    75 easy
    50 back fast (27)
    50 easy
    25 flutter kick fast
    75 easy

100 EZ

Mellow Aerobic Set:

16 x 50 @ :50
    alternate backstroke and backstroke kick
    went 33 on all of them

200 C/D

Total: 3600

Other thoughts:

1. Weights

Still feeling broken down from weights. They just make practice much less enjoyable. I think I had that same thought when I started lifting heavier after Austin. Feeling it again. I do think that weights are the biggest reason for my improvement since Austin. I just wish I didn't dislike them so much. Getting a bit weary of them and would like to take a couple months off. Just need to decide when the timing would be right. Could do it after Zones, but that might effect Indy times. Or I could wait until after Indy. Not sure. Just sure I need a break.

2. Recovery

Still having trouble recovering. I've been tired all week since my hell week. Could be just the lack of sleep, as I'm getting up early again to get the kids to school and having trouble going to sleep earlier. Had a Luna Shake today after practice. (Thanks Julie!) Maybe that will help. I've had problem with this before, and started a thread many months ago called "Recovery Please." I'm also tempted to try LBJ's suggestion of Devil's Claw. Anyone use that?

3. Appeal:

As I mentioned on the "It is Here" thread, my appeal was denied as expected. The ground was Rule 102.13.1, which precludes a change in the order of events. They did not address my Rule 202.2 argument at all. Little disappointing, since that was the basis of my appeal. But that's what happens sometimes. In any event, I've definitely moved on. I'm happy enough that the IGLA times count for FINA purposes. And, as a couple encouraging forumites (including Skip have mentioned), if I hadn't swum the time trial, I wouldn't have known what I was capable of since the 29.99 was a surprise. Gives me some added confidence that my training etc. is on track.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tuesday, Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2009 at 04:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the pool today. Still a bit tired and sore.

Warm up:

700 variety swim/kick/drill

3 x 100 single arm fly @ 1:45

Main Sets:

Stole a pace 50s set from Chris, except with more human intervals.

20 x 50 backstroke:
    (Tried to go 2 seconds faster on each set of 50s. Definitely gasping for breath at the end.)

4 x 50 @ :50
    1 x 50 easy @ 1:30
    4 x 50 on :55
    4 x 50 @ 1:00
    4 x 50 @ 1:10
    1 x 50 easy on 1:30

100 EZ

6 x 200 kick @ 3:00 w/MF
    (held a pretty casual 1:10-1:12 pace per 100)

50 EZ

10 x 25 UW fly spin drill,
    5 spinning every 2 kicks, 5 spinning every 4 kicks

100 C/D

Total: 3700

Thought on "hypoxic" work: Was discussing SDKs with Jim Thornton and lamenting my seemingly diminished lung capacity of late. The "heyday" of my SDKs seems to have been about 1 and 1/2 years ago or so. At least that's my perception. (Judging from a couple videos, I was a little SDK happy at Austin I guess, but I'm not sure it made me faster.) He suggested that, with the amount of anaerobic work I do, the oxygen receptor nerves/muscles (can't remember exactly -- maybe he'll elaborate) aren't triggered enough. In other words, speed work is contra-indicated if you want to be an SDK ninja. Don't know, but I have done a lot more speed work in the last 1 1/2 years. More likely, the problem is that I dislike doing the hard core CO2 tolerance sets that Chris does. Used to like them more, not sure what happened. They just are harder now.

Updated January 6th, 2009 at 04:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Big Day -- NOT

by , January 5th, 2009 at 02:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Too damn tired to do a thing today!! My upper back is still sore from weights on Saturday and was shocked back to reality with an early wake up ... I'm always a tad gloomy after a holiday/vacation. Getting a deep tissue massage tomorrow -- that should help!

But I did get my USA Swimming card in the mail today. So I'm set for the Jan. Open.

Also am sending in my entries for Auburn:

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 free
    100 back
    50 fly

(Will scratch either the 50 free or 100 back. Probably the 100 back as there's only one event between that and the 50 fly.)

Sunday:

100 fly
    50 back
    50 breast
    200 IM

(Will do either the 50 breast or 200 IM. There's nothing I'm really dying to swim after the 50 back and the 100 free is right after and thus not an option. Guess I could also do a split request in my 200 IM.)

Updated January 5th, 2009 at 02:41 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Team Practice, Sunday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2009 at 01:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Managed to drag myself out of bed in time for team practice. Felt a little tired from the weights/swim from yesterday afternoon. I think it's preferable to have a whole 24 hours in between workouts. Still, got in a decent swim with a little speedwork despite the fatigue and revelry of last night.

Warm up:

800 of swim, kick & drills.
    Skipped a 600 or so of pulling while chit chatting.

Main Sets:

10 tuck jumps off blocks

12 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    2 choice, 1 fast free

10 pike jumps off blocks (this was rather amusing to watch, lol, helps to be an ex gymnast/diver)

12 x 75 @ 1:15
    25 fast fly, 50 DPS free
    25 fast back, 50 DPS free
    25 fast breast, 50 DPS free
    (I did the DPS 50s all backstroke)

300 social kick. Must swim in a different lane with someone you don't know that well. I met a new 25 year old on the team who's an evilstroker/IMer and plans to compete in meets.

15 x 25 with fins @ 40
    4 UW switching lanes, 1 swim
    (this had some real crashing potential!)

100 C/D

Did some starts off the blocks

Total: 3200

Mr. Fort ran his first 10 mile race in many many years on Saturday. He loved the Garmin Forerunner. Kept him on pace and beeped at him every mile. Since he's only been training for a month or so, he did very well, holding about a 6:55 pace despite some hilly parts.

Updated January 4th, 2009 at 02:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday, January 3

by , January 3rd, 2009 at 06:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

75 minutes at gym doing weights, core, RC and some stretching.

Hopped in the hot SCM pool for a very short workout:

Warm up:

600 swim, kick, builds

Sprint Set:

10 x (25 AFAP + 25 easy), no interval

(Didn't feel so great. Might not have been warmed up enough and the water was way too hot. No matter, needed to do some sprinting. And that was all I had time for anyway!)

50 EZ

Kick Set:

500 dolphin kick on back with MF

100 EZ

Total: 1750 meters

Hit the steam room and neti pot after. This is a bubble pool and, like Wolfy, I always feel congested after swimming in it.

Hoping to go to my team practice if I can get myself out of bed. I've been up outrageously late lately ... Probably will be again tonight as I'm going to a Twelfth Night party.
    Categories
    Uncategorized