http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Tuesday, Dec. 9

by , December 9th, 2008 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class.
    (Definitely didn't work too hard. Just got some cardio in.)

20-25 minutes of RC and core work

Recovery swim in the hot 25 meter gym pool:

700 warm up
    10 x 100 on 1:50, alternate back and backstroke kick, pretty slo mo
    400 IM drill
    hottub

Total: 2100 meters

Still tired and sore. It seems, just in the last couple years, that it take me longer to recover from meets. I've been very tired after both the Sprint Classic and this meet even though I only swam one day. If the last meet is any indication, I'll probably feel better by Thursday or so. Sheesh!

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monday, December 8

by , December 8th, 2008 at 10:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Out of taper hell!

Although I feel like a mac truck ran over me ... Always do after meets. I have no idea how some people swim multiple meets in a month or even two weekends in a row. I need recovery time! Plus, I seem to be following Patrick Brundage's "remixed" regimen of wine and more junk food. lol

Went on a 5 mile trail run even though it is freezing cold here. Since I hadn't run in 2 weeks, it felt great and I was really happy to be outside!

With respect to Zones, my coach emailed me and told me to grow out my fingernails for the Albatross meet. Had a laugh and thought of Ande. Last time I had fingernails, I put a huge rip in a new Pro at the NE Champs and was stuck wearing a very old Pro and FS I. So not too inclined to do that again! I know the B70s are more durable. But, still, I know a fast chick who shredded her B70 at LC Zones with fingernails.

SwimStud youtubed my 50 fly time trial from on deck. Here it is, horrific start and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Wb_-kSFPs

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 08:26 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. SCM Zones Results

by , December 7th, 2008 at 10:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went better than I thought it would! Drove up Saturday afternoon. Arrived at Rutgers around 5:00. Just in time to see Michael Ross' 200 free and Chris Stevenson's 200 back. Seriously sick fast swims! Also got to see some fast 200 backs from forumites SwimmieAvsFan and Julie Oplinger. Met Patrick Brundage -- super guy and he had a fabulous meet. Met Tom Patterson too, and he was burning up the water with a zillion events and PBs as well.

Had dinner and beers with the PV/VA/CONN gang. Tried to sleep. Hit the pool on Sunday -- nice facility! Love to go there again. I definitely preferred it to BU where I swam NE SCM Champs last year. Got up early because the timeline didn't show a warm up after the 400 IM, and then they had a 30 minute one ... Hmmm ... At least it gave me an opportunity to hop in the competition pool and do some freestyle turns on the bulkhead where the T was pretty far away.

Still felt like crap. Tired and groggy. This is maybe the worst I've felt before a meet. I had tried to ignore this feeling all week pretty successfully (after being told several times that when you feel like crap you nonetheless swim fast), but was in a major paranoid mood this morning. Thankfully, I got over it and, as Jim Thornton said, I don't have to swim in the Infirmary Olympics.

Event #1, 50 free, 28.56
    (previous best was 28.7 from last Dec.; swam a 29.2 last March)

Felt awful, probably hadn't sprinted enough in warm up. This was definitely a "getting the cobwebs out" swim. Got a calf cramp on the turn and couldn't kick as much. Just didn't have my super duper sprint groove. But I'm glad 50 free was first since I didn't care about that as much as my other two events. And I'll definitely take the time!! Just think I coulda gone a couple tenths faster if it wasn't an AM swim and wasn't my first event. However, I must admit that, after this event, I was thinking that I would never rest/taper again. lol. Still felt like crap and was thinking I over-rested. I was wrong.

Event #2, 100 fly, No Swim! lol

Only had about 20 minutes after the 50 free, which I had already sandbagged. In my then state of mind, there was no way I was stepping up on the blocks for 4 lengths of fly with such short rest. Arranged for a 50 fly time time trial after the relays instead. Had about an hour to rest before my next event.

Event #3, 100 IM, 1:11.8

My previous best in a Pro was a 1:15.2 -- so this was a huge improvement. I was super happy. Think it was a much faster swim than Austin, where I swam a 1:06.8 in SCY. Splits were impeccable as usual -- 32.5 (and this was easy speed only) and 39.3. Hahaha. Glided into the turn big time from breast to free. Chris S. said I need to get a real back to breast turn as well. I've only done the flip once, and it wasn't a huge success, so haven't worked on it at all in a year. Maybe something for the to do list. This is definitely my best 100 IM ever, so might be worth focusing on. I didn't stay under water SDK-ing nearly as long as I did in Austin, so I probably had more oxygen.

Event #4, 50 fly time trial, 29.99, Missed tieing the WR by .01

World record (KPN) was 29.98. The last time I swam the 50 fly in SCM was in June with a B70 and I went 30.7. And I was really happy with that time, as it was an improvement on the 31.3 I swam last December. Thought I had no real shot at the record, but wanted to see if I could improve on my prior time some. Wow, I was shocked to get so close. Especially since I didn't have much rest after the 100 IM. So I was thrilled! Swim Stud video'd the race -- plenty of power and speed and absolutely sucky starts and turns. Poor breakout and a bit of glide into the turn. Wolf Girl would have been cluck clucking. (Yes, I see on FB he already said my start "blew".) No matter! My fly and back seem to really be rockin' lately. Now if this time doesn't give fins a good name, I can't think what else will!!

(Edit: Since my fly time converts to a 26+, I think that is a lifetime best. First ever as a master!)

And now, of course, I wish I had had a crack at improving my 50 (31.7) and 100 (1:11.7) backstroke times from IGLA. But a girl/mommy can't have everything. Unfortunately, I heard that FINA is still not recognizing IGLA results. I feel sorry for the WR setters at that meet. I'm also bummed about my 50 back because the time I swam currently would be #3 on the FINA All Time Top Ten list, and it may not make it there.

Had lunch with the gang and drove straight to GMU to watch my kid swim in the finals at the Dolan meet. Avoided excess mommy guilt! Really happy with my 100 IM and 50 fly.

A friend asked me what I thought accounted for my improvements in fly over the last year. I'm not completely sure, BUT, I have been swimming 5x a week most of the year instead of 4x a week (although low yardage to be sure), have been kicking more the last year and have been lifting somewhat more the last year. I'm sure I have lots of improvement to do in the latter category still.

Updated December 9th, 2008 at 03:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, Dec. 5

by , December 5th, 2008 at 02:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    800 warm up

4 x 25 easy speed fly, 25 EZ after each

200 easy

Total: 1200

Hit the hottub for 10 minutes and took a long hot shower to try to ease the muscle tightness across my back and shoulders. It's probably from all the tossing and turning, and probably why my fly feels like crap. No matter, I'm in a fabulous mood and refuse to dwell on it.

Also tried the Speedo Aqua V cap today. My goggles would barely stay on with it, it's so slippery. It also gave me an insta-headache. I'll have to bring excedrin to the meet if I use that thing ...

Spent the morning at the Tom Dolan meet. Only one masters swimmer there, but he schooled the young studs. Wally Dicks broke the national records in the Mens 45-49 50 and 100 breast, in 27.3 and 58.94. The 27.3 was his 50 split in the open 100. That's bookin'! We'll see how fast he is tonight. Edit: He swam a 58.55 tonight. Woot!

And, happily, my clutzy evilstroker swam well, making champ finals in her beloved evilstroke. It's seriously hard to believe she's my daughter with the state of my own evilstroke.

Driving to NJ tomorrow. Looked at the timeline. The 50 back isn't even until 4:00 and the 50 fly is at 5:30 .... I could easily have made it down in time to warm up and swim. Kinda disappointed about that. But I'll just hit the pool and cheer for friends before hitting the Harvest Moon Brewery where someone will be celebrating a birthday.

Updated December 5th, 2008 at 09:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2008 at 03:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still resting:

700 warm up

5 x 50 fly drill
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 smooth free with overkick
    50 EZ
    3 x AFAP free, 50 EZ after each
    100 EZ

Total: 1575

Had a fabulous chat with my very first masters coach today. (He is a NOVA coach out in Cali now.) I totally credit him for getting me back in the pool and teaching me how to swim again (or at least for the 4 months before he moved). He's the best, a real technician! We talked about the 100 fly for awhile. He said, if he were still coaching me, he wouldn't have me do anything longer than 25s with an occasional fast 50 or 100. He said "train free" or do a lot of free-fly stuff. But otherwise nothing but quality or very fast 25s. That's pretty much what Paul and Ande said on the "training for the 100 fly" thread, as I recall. Since my shoulders don't like long fly sets, I think I pretty much have to embrace this strategy.

He also reminded me that, when I first started masters, I said "I'm just too old to swim the 100 fly." lol. I had forgotten about that, although it did take me awhile to overcome my 100 fly fear. He also told me that I am a 50 freestyler and that I should focus on that event. He "knows me better than me," he says. Hmmm .... I guess coaches can sometimes see things you can't see yourself?

On another note, my Zones entries were straightened out and I now officially an evil 50 free sandbagger. However, I noticed that I am not the only sandbagger in that event, as Fall W. is seeded at :55.

Also, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights. Really tossing and turning. This is another evil result of evil resting. No sound sleep. At least I slept well last week!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2008 at 03:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

700 variety warm up

10 x 50 on 1:05, alternate backstroke kick and backstroke, moderate pace

50 EZ

8 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy

50 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP free, 50 easy after each 25

100 EZ

Total: 1900

Thoughts:

Resting is very odd. I absolutely hate resting and miss all my cross training, especially running on sunny days like today. But when I cut back and do nothing but some sprinting and recovery swimming in the pool, I seem to get really lazy and can't wait to get out of the water from even my short little swim ... Seems like a complete waste of time. I was even daydreaming about a nap today. Need to get back to regular training. Or I'll be an even bigger tank than Puff is becoming!

A friend commented that she couldn't believe I was resting this week for 3 events. I thought that was plenty of events for one day! Although I do really wish I was swimming both days of the meet this weekend.

Fly still feels like crap. Not sure why.

Think I need to do more overkicking freestyle drills. I'm a pretty fast flutter kicker, but don't think I'm getting anywhere near max kick when I'm sprinting free. And Hulk has told me this too.

Still haven't heard from the Zones meet director via email. Will check the psych sheets again.

Updated December 3rd, 2008 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Not the best day

by , December 2nd, 2008 at 02:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Ack. Not having a good day. Was woken up this morning by the sound and cries of my daughter falling down a flight of stairs and landing on her elbow. Had to take her to the ER. No break, but the elbow is seriously swollen and painful. As she is swimming in the Dolan meet this weekend, and already has sore knees, she is really bummed out.

My meet entries are still screwed up for Zones. I've emailed the meet director twice and haven't received a reply, so I think the odds are good that I will not be getting a 50 fly split at this point. Seem to be having trouble with meet entries. My entries for the NC Shootout were screwed up as well (although I fixed it the morning of the meet). And, although it was a masters-USA combo meet, the times don't seem to count. Apparently, they forgot to properly ID the masters swimmers, and may not clean up their paperwork. Kinda bummed, as I swam PBs in backstroke there.

Went to the pool briefly after taking my daughter to school. Resting this week, so I didn't do much. And I wasn't too worried about how I felt in the water, that's for sure.

Warm up:

700 variety swim & kick

Pre set:

10 x 50 on 1:10, alternate kick and drill, 2 of each stroke
    50 EZ

Speed work:

8 x 25, medium pace, 2 of each stroke

50 EZ

2 x 50 with fins @ 90%, 150 EZ after each one
    (1 back, 1 fly, went 27.5ish, trying not to hit lane mate)

3 x 25 AFAP freestyle, 50 EZ after each

100 EZ

Total: 2200

Updated December 2nd, 2008 at 02:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Monday, Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2008 at 01:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove 7 hours yesterday. Not my favorite thing in the world to do ... Didn't hit the pool obviously.

Today, SCY, solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 IM drill
    2 x 100 fly drill

Stopped to chat with a fellow masters swimmer in my age group who swam at the Sprint Classic. He wanted tips on SDKs and how better to train than doing 10 x 100 on 1:30. And, well, I had a few tips. lol

Speedwork:

4 x 25 build free

10 x 25, alternate fast UW shooter with finz and EZ DAB

50 EZ

10 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy
    (fly felt like utter crap compared to last week. dunno why. refusing to dwell on it.)

150 EZ

50 back AFAP with finz, 26ish

150 EZ

50 back AFAP with finz, 26ish

150 EZ

3 x 50, 25 AFAP free with finz with race pace turn, cruise the rest

some more race pace freetsyle turns

150 EZ

Total: 2500

My entries for SCM Zones are not correct. The meet director confirmed my email asking to switch events and times, but that is not reflected on the psych sheets. Sent another email. We'll see if there's time to fix it. Looks like a lot of yard times weren't converted to meters either.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Saturday, Nov. 29

by , November 29th, 2008 at 01:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    20-25 minutes of RC/stretching

SCM, solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    100 fly drills

Speed work:

8 x 75 kick, 20 RI
    EZ, fast, EZ by 25

50 EZ

4 x (4 x 50) on 1:10
    4 of each stroke, reverse IM order
    EZ, build, fast, EZ
    wore fins on fast ones, went 26, 35, 27.5ish, 28ish

100 EZ

50 breast AFAP from push (just for fun),
    went 41.
    (PB is 41.5 from last year when I cramped and flutter kicked part of the way. My BR kick is just awful. No propulsion from it whatsoever.)

100 EZ

4 x 25 free AFAP with fins, 50 EZ after each 25, no interval

100 EZ

Total: 2400 meters

Updated November 29th, 2008 at 01:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, Nov. 28

by , November 28th, 2008 at 02:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Took yesterday off. Resisted going running. Then successfully resisted going to the turkey burner spin class this morning. Miss cross training ...

Went to the gym ...

20-25 minutes of RC and stretching.

Swim, SCM, solo:

Warm up:

300 swim
    200 kick
    200 IM drill

4 x 100 fly drill
    (2 x left arm, right arm by length,
    2 x 2 left arm 2 right arm, 1 full stroke)

50 EZ

Speed work:

6 x (3 x 25)
    easy speed fly, UW shooter, EZ

Then I did Jonathan's set from the "Fun & Fast" thread, minus one fast 50 because my daughter couldn't stand watching me swim anymore. lol. But I reversed the amount of recovery swimming to increase as I went along. I was swimming against a bare wall with no gutters, so my times seemed slightly slower than yesterday.

50 EZ
    50 fast with finz: back, 28ish
    100 EZ
    50 fast with finz: free, 26ish
    (horrible side winding turn, need to practice race pace freestyle turns next week)
    150 EZ
    50 fast with finz: backstroke kick, 27.5ish
    200 EZ
    50 fast with finz: backstroke, 28-29 ish, scrapped along the bottom for awhile after the turn cuz the pool was so shallow
    250 EZ

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2650 meters

Trying to shift into taper mode a bit. Taper is frustrating for me. I dislike tapering because I feel exercise deprived. I also really have no clue what I'm doing and am still experimenting. I've tried Ande's 2 week taper plan before, but I've felt over tapered from it. (At 6'4", he probably needs more tapering than a 5'4" girl with less aerobic base.) So I'm trying to reduce yardage a bit, eliminate any hard aerobic work and carry on with speed work. I'll start really loafing the middle of next week or so.

Heading off to visit Jim Thornton and visit my favorite boutique in Sewickly.

Updated December 2nd, 2008 at 02:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Swimming in Pittsburgh

by , November 26th, 2008 at 03:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drove to Pittsburgh last night in the snow. Wish I had been heading south ...

Swam at the Rivers Club in downtown Pittsburgh. Three lane 3 foot deep pool. But it was SCM, and had backstroke flags, a pace clock and I had the pool to myself. So I was a happy camper. Definitely beats the Y!

Before swimming, I did an hour of very light weights and core work. Then hit the pool. I modified one of Chris' taper workouts. I saw he did the same one today in its more studly form. LOL

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

4 x (4 x 50) @ 1:15
    1-3 descend to fast, 4 easy

Did 2 sets fly and two sets back
    Wore finz on the fast ones
    Went 28 and 27.5 is on back and the same on fly. Couldn't SDK too deep because the pool was so shallow.

50 EZ

20 x 25 kick
    Odds fast, evens easy
    (5 fast UW shooters on stomach, 5 fast backstroke)

50 EZ

50 AFAP back, 27ish

300 C/D

Total: 2100 meters

Day off tomorrow. Sorely tempted by the 90 minute "turkey burner" spin class with the Tour de France on the big screen on Friday, but trying to resist. Thought I was going to to enjoy a week or so of rest, but, no, not feeling the love.

Updated November 28th, 2008 at 07:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Tuesday, Nov. 25

by , November 25th, 2008 at 11:36 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Only had time for a very quick workout. Teaching a couple art history classes today (yes, not my normal gig). Then heading up to Pittsburgh to visit relatives and hopefully see Wild Jim Thornton up at the the Northern Compound. lol

800 variety warm up

5 x 100 back on 1:50, descend

50 EZ

20 x 25, alternate AFAP free and EZ DAB

200 C/D

Total: 2050

Felt like utter crap! lol Still really sleep deprived and not used to swimming in the am at all. Going to have to try to hit the pool in the am all next week. Should be able to catch up on sleep over the next 5 days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Monday, Nov. 24

by , November 24th, 2008 at 02:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Adapted one of DV-Onefish's workouts today. Just cruised the 4 x 100 sets. Felt sluggish today. Hopefully that will go away soon. I'm reluctantly cutting out all cross training, except for some light weights to hold the shoulder together, until after Zones.

700 variety warm up

4 x 100 free on 1:40
    1 x 50 fast with finz on 1:00
    (swam back, 27ish)
    4 x 100 back kick on 2:00
    2 x 50 fast with finz on 1:00
    (swam back, 27-28ish)
    4 x 100 backstroke on 1:50
    3 x 50 fast with finz on 1:30
    (swam fly, 27ish)
    4 x 100 recovery free on 1:40
    4 x 50 fast (about 95%, didn't have an AFAP gear today) with finz on 3:00 with a 50 EZ after each
    (swam back, went 27ish)

200 C/D

Total: 2800

Updated November 24th, 2008 at 09:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sunday, Nov. 23

by , November 23rd, 2008 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    My team pool was closed this weekend for a swim meet. Pretty bummed about that because I didn't get a chance to practice starts and might not before Zones ... Hmmm ... Even worse, I had a whacking bad case of hormonally induced insomnia last night. Was sorta sleep walking through my day. My son finally dragged me off to the gym. Swam in the 85 degree SCM pool. But didn't feel quite as bad as I feared.

Warm up:

800 variety warm up of swim, kick and drills

Aerobic set:

8 x 100 on 2:00
    alternate backstroke and backstroke kick

Speed/Hypoxic Work:

Did a short set I hadn't done in awhile but really like (and could tell the pool was 25 meters!)

10 x 25 hypoxic shooters
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 fast fly with finz
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 hypoxic shooters
    50 EZ

100 EZ

50 fly AFAP with finz from a push, 27ish. Felt this was pretty fast given the 85 degree temp.

300 warm down with some fun dolphin diving

Total: 2950 meters

That pool must have loads of chlorine in it. My face is still bright red. I need to take Jonathan's advice and put some glycerin soap in my swim bag.

Checked my email. Got confirmation from the meet director of the Zones meet. He has switched me from the 50 breast to the 100 fly so I can get a 50 fly split. I am absolutely sandbagging my 50 free time. Yes, I am very evil. But, happily, neither the meet director or I have any problems with it.

Updated November 23rd, 2008 at 08:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Friday, Nov. 21

by , November 21st, 2008 at 04:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    No swimming today.

75 minutes at the gym doing weights and core work. Felt pretty strong. Did the lat pull down for the first time in ages. Very light weight though.

Hopped on the treadmill for a 4 mile run. (Julie will come along and call me a hypocrite now unless she's already left for MI. lol But I'm not a real runner anymore.) The treadmill is really really boring though ...

For the record, I will NOT be doing the Tahoe swim those fools are chatting about on the forum.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Speed Work

by , November 20th, 2008 at 03:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    25-30 minutes of core work and a few weights

PM swim:

Warm up:

700 variety swim
    5 x 100 one arm fly drill @ 1:45

Speed sets:

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    odds fast backstroke kick, evens easy

100 EZ

10 x 25 @ :40
    odds AFAP fly, evens easy
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 @ :40
    odds AFAP backstroke, evens easy
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 @ 40
    odds AFAP free, evens easy
    50 EZ
    (Had some cramping issues. Forgot to drink water this am. OD'd on coffee.)

200 EZ

50 fly AFAP with finz, 26 (cramped)

200 EZ

Total: 3350
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Bounced Back!

by , November 19th, 2008 at 04:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Feeling good today!

AM:

60 minute spin class
    40 minutes of core, RC and stretching

Lunch break ...

PM:

Swim, SCY, solo:

Warm up:

800 swim, kick and drilling

Aerobic set:

3 x (4 x 100) on 1:45, IM Transition
    #1 fly/back
    #2 back/breast
    #3 breast/free
    #4 free/fly

Kick set:

4 x 200 kick on 3:45
    alternate 50 fast/50 easy
    #1 dolphin kick on back
    #2 dolphin kick with board
    #3 backstroke kick
    #4 flutter kick with board
    (legs a bit tired from spinning)

100 EZ

Lactate Set:

6 x 50 AFAP on 3:00 with finz, 50 EZ after each one
    #1 50 back, 26
    #2 50 back, 26.5
    #3 50 fly, 25.5
    #4 50 fly, 25.5
    #5 50 back, NT
    (As I was speeding into the wall to finish, I crashed right into a senior noodler. The noodler was obviously having a senior moment and decided to go across several lanes to get to the ladder. This is a huge pet peeve of mine -- can't they look and see someone is traveling fast right at them?! I don't want to hurt them, obviously, but I don't want to get hurt either! Sheesh.
    #6 50 back, 26.5
    (These times are all guesses. It's very hard to time yourself. When I've had a coach yelling out times at GMU, I usually am a bit faster.)

100 C/D

Total: 3600

Other random thoughts:

Felt much better today. Think I was suffering from allergies before. My dog allergy, which is severe, is becoming almost a disability. Last time I was staying in a house with dogs for almost a week (family funeral stuff), I was sick for almost 3 weeks after. Ugh! I'm worried I'm going to encounter dogs over Thanksgiving ... Everyone in my family has dogs ... However, this problem may be a good excuse for me to avoid going to FLA to visit my in laws in Feb. I may send Mr. Fort with the kids and go to Auburn instead. That's what I'm plotting at the moment anyway ...

A friend emailed me the other day saying I was only .7 off the WR in the 50 fly SCM. Didn't know that. Really wish I had a chance to swim it again this year, as my 50 fly has been rockin' lately. Last time I swam it on 3 days rest, I went 30.7. I had lifted and run days before that meet. It'd be nice to see what I could do with a taper, but it ain't happening. It's really frustrating that there aren't more SCM meets on the east coast. In any event, I expect this record to be smashed at Long Beach in December.

My shoulder is still nagging me some. I think I'm going to shut down all 100 fly training for awhile and stick with 25s and 50s. Not that I've done any since my last 10 x 75 that started the problem ... lol

Updated November 19th, 2008 at 04:09 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Half-Hearted, Tuesday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2008 at 01:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Not feeling so hot today. Low energy, didn't run like I was hoping to. Dragged myself to the pool.

Warm up:

700 swim & kick
    10 x 25 UW fly spin drill with MF

Mermaid sets:

6 x 100 dolphin kick on back with MF @ 1:45
    (just cruised, holding 1:08-1:10)
    (realized I was not putting my head back as far as I should be)
    8 x 50 dolphin kick with board, fast @ 1:00
    (held around :28s)
    8 x 25 UW shooter with MF AFAP
    50 EZ

(Got through this set, but was interrupted a lot. Had to explain what masters swimming was to someone. Had to explain the use of fins and MF to someone else. Had to explain to a mother who wanted her blind daughter to swim in my lane that a MF was a lethal weapon. No idea why she wanted her to swim in my lane as there were others available ... Had to say hi to the "Jazz Hands" of my pool -- he look just like Brian and trains like him too. lol.)

5 x 150 @ 2:15 with fins
    100 kick, 50 back @ 200 pace

200 IM drill

150 C/D

Total: 3300
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Monday, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2008 at 08:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Woke up with a sore throat. Ande told me "not to get one," so I said OK and am denying its existence. It could be allergies, as there were dogs in my house for a day or so. That never agrees with me.

Had my littlest one home from school with a cold. No swimming today. Hopped on the bike at home for half and hour. Really really hoping she's better and I can get to the pool tomorrow. I feel the need for a mermaid workout.

Updated November 17th, 2008 at 09:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Quality Aerobic Day, Sunday, Nov. 16

by , November 16th, 2008 at 12:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam with my team. Workout posted on the board. It was a grinder workout. My lane adapted the workout and took more rest. (Teammates were tired from 20 x 200 LC yesterday. Ack) After two days out of the water, I felt pretty good. Just a little sore from the weights yesterday.

Warm up:

1000 OYO (I did 700)

Main sets:

8 x 150 with fins on 2:20,
    100 kick, 50 fast
    (My lane switched the interval from 2:00 to 2:20. I did backstroke kick and backstroke.)

50 EZ

Assigned set was:

30 x 50 on 40/45,
    7 fast free, 3 easy stroke.
    My lane decided this was garbage yardage, so we did a IM/stroke set instead, which I sorely needed:

10 x 150 on 2:30,
    100 IM, 50 stroke

100 EZ

Sprint set:

16 x 25
    2 fast, 2 easy on :30 with fins

200 C/D

Chatted with teammates in hottub. Discusses super relays and B70s -- not politics!

Total: 4150
    Categories
    Uncategorized