http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Sleep is Amazing! Monday, Dec. 29

by , December 29th, 2008 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    With my kids away, I've been catching up on sleep and it is fabulous! I've been getting 8-9 hours the last few nights. Makes a huge difference. Didn't even feel too bad this am after yesterday's workout (which I confess is the most yardage I've ever done as a master, lol). So I headed back to the pool and gym for more torture. Borrowed a couple sets from Ande again today.

SCY, solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim/kick/drill

5 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 1:45

50 EZ

Aerobic Set:
    (from Ande)

6 x 150 @ 2:30
    25 fly, 50 back, 75 breast

Main Sets/Speedwork:

6 x 100 under/overs @ 2:00 with fins
    fast under/easy over (went around 1:14s or so)

50 EZ

20 x 50 speed "variables" @ 1:00 (50 EZ after 10)

#1-10 dolphin kick with board
    #11-20 backstroke

done like this:

1,6) 12.5 FAST 37.5 easy
    2,7) 25.0 FAST 25.0 easy
    3,8) 37.5 FAST 12.5 easy
    4,9) 50.0 FAST 00.0 easy
    5,10) 50.00 easy 00.0 fast

100 EZ

3 x (4 x 25 AFAP + 25 easy)
    no interval, max rest
    3 fly/3 breast/3 free

100 EZ

Total: 4650

Ate an energy bar and headed to the gym. Did weights/RC/core for an hour. Little bit of a twinge in my left lower back. Same place I strained it doing power yoga early in the summer. Didn't do any deadlifts, sit ups on the incline bench or twisty things. Looking forward to sleeping in again!

Meets?

I'm also having a bout of meet schizophrenia. Can't decide which meets to swim in or rest for. None seem quite right, and all have order of events issues (naturally). I'm still leaning toward going to Auburn and resting for it, although it will coincide with the hated AF. (Sorry, Quick. ). I could rest for Zones, but I really hate the order of events and will be swimming relays. I'm also cross about the Albatross Meet, our ONLY local SCM meet, because, as reported by Hulk, it is the same weekend as age group JOs, which my kid will be swimming in. Rob has also tempted me with a SCM meet in Flushing NY in early May in a fast pool. So I may rest a week for Zones and then keep resting for that meet. We'll see. I'm not usually so wretchedly undecided about meets. Just going to send in my entry form for Auburn if I can only figure out what events to swim ...

I did send in my USA Swimming registration for 2009. Intend to swim the 200 back at the Jan. Open -- my first ever as a master. Also toying with the idea of swimming in the Sunbelt Champs in Charlotte, NC the end of January. May have a free weekend, but it's a 7 hour drive. Might just do a couple more events in the Jan. Open instead.

Updated December 29th, 2008 at 08:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. More Thievery, Sunday, Dec. 28

by , December 28th, 2008 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This week may be a record for stealing sets/workouts from others. Today, I swiped and modified one of Paul Smith's recent sets from his thread in the Workout Section. Have to say, it was a challenge just to get through it as I am very sore from the weights/core work yesterday.

Warm up:

Hypoxic/CO2 Tolerance Kick Set:

20 x 25 UW shooter on stomach with MF on :30
    extra 30 seconds rest after 10

50 EZ

Main Set:

6 x (200 IM on 3:15 + 100 backstroke kick on 2:00)
    (IMs were smooth, kicks were good effort, drilled the fly on the IMs.)
    50 EZ

6 x (100 back on 1:45 + 50 kick with board on 1:00)
    (used fins, descended backstroke from 1:15 to 1:01, reverse descended the kicks from fast to slow)
    50 EZ

3 x (50 fly on 1:00 + 25 dolphin kick on back fast + 25 easy)
    (was too tired to do 3 more reps)

200 C/D

Total: 4550

Updated December 28th, 2008 at 05:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saturday, Dec. 27

by , December 27th, 2008 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    75 minutes at the gym lifting weights and doing core. I'm definitely stronger than I was around Austin. Toying around with the idea of bumping it up to 3x a week. It would likely mean I'd have to cut out some cardio somewhere ... Or else do a 3rd shorter session.

Afterward, hit the hot gym SCM pool (85 degrees). Did a set of Stud's creation, which I really liked. The workout was aerobic lite and technique based.

Warm up:

Main set:

3 x through:

8 x 25 fly on :45
    4 x 50 back on 1:00
    2 x 100 breast on 2:00
    1 x 200 free on 3:00 (done 100 free/100 flutter kick)
    extra minute after each round

Worked on:

Fly: Not lifting my head up as high. I could feel right away that this made by stroke flatter, but I think it will take awhile to make this change.

Back: Worked on rotation and keeping my head back on SDKs and the breakout

Breast: Worked on keeping my head down in a neutral postition.

Free: Worked on kicking on my back for 2-3 SDKs off the wall before cork screwing over. Definitely seemed faster this way.

100 C/D

Total: 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, Dec. 26

by , December 26th, 2008 at 04:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Back in the pool. Don't intend to take 4 consecutive days off again! Just felt OK, continued with some basic aerobic work.

Warm up:

700 variety swim/kick

5 x 100 fly drill on 2:00

Aerobic Set:
    (Stole this one from Ande's blog. Thanks Ande!)

30 x 50:

1 kick on 1:10 / 1 drill on 1:10 / 1 back on 1:10
    2 kick on 1:00 / 2 drill on 1:00 / 2 back on 1:00
    3 kick on 0:55 / 3 drill on 1:00 / 3 back on 0:55
    4 kick on 0:50 / 4 drill on 1:00 / 4 back on 0:50

50 EZ

Kick Set: Kick Mountain Redux

1 x 50 on :45
    1 x 100 on 1:30
    1 x 150 on 2:05
    1 x 200 on 3:00
    1 x 300, 15 RI
    1 x 200 on 3:00
    1 x 150 on 2:05
    1 x 100 on 1:30
    1 x 50 on :45

(all with MF, up the mountain with board, down dolphin kicking on back)

100 EZ

Total: 4150

10 minutes in hotub
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Annual Xmas Run

by , December 25th, 2008 at 02:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went on my annual 5 mile trail run today. It is fairly warm and very sunny -- beautiful day for a run.

On the xmas/swimming front, I got a new B70 from Mr. Fort. My current one is probably nearing the end of its life, so that was fabulous! (No, I will not be wearing them together!) I got him a Garmin Forerunner 405 for his marathon training and racing, so we both went for the hobbies. lol. Also got a large wicking towel for meets that SwimShark swears by. Looking forward to trying it out.

I've been out of the water for 4 days. Haven't done that in a loooong time. Might have taken a week off from swimming (not exercising) after Austin, can't recall. I'm going to have a few days on my own as Mr. Fort is taking the kids skiing. (I don't ski.) So I plan to see friends and workout like a madwoman. May actually get to my team's New Years practice, which is 109 x 50.

Merry Christmas all!

Updated December 25th, 2008 at 02:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Wednesday, December 24

by , December 24th, 2008 at 03:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    5 mile trail run.

Merry Christmas to all forumites!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. On Appeal

by , December 23rd, 2008 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I have sent my letter appealing the denial of the request to recognize my 50 fly time trial to the USMS Rules Committee Chairperson. I appreciate all the input I got from forum folks very much. I realize some might not agree with exactly how I've made the arguments, but I've done the best I could in the short time I had. Now, I'm ready to move on to the holidays and completely forget about it!

For those of you interested, I am reproducing the letter here:

Dear Ms. Casey,

Ed Tsuzuki, the NJ LMSC Chair, forwarded me the email that you had sent him regarding my 50 fly time trial at the Colonies Zones meet held at Rutgers University on Dec 6-7. As you can imagine, I was disheartened to learn that my 50 fly time from that meet will not count for USMS Top Ten or FINA Top Ten purposes. This is contrary to what I was told at the time trial. At this point, I understand the meet director, referee and Mr. Tsuzuki all agree that the time should be recognized. Only the Rules Committee disagrees. While I do not want to trespass on your time, I would be grateful if the USMS Rules Committee would reconsider its initial decision to deny my time official status.

At no point did I attempt to gain an unfair advantage on my competitors. I only swam Sunday at Rutgers because I had a conflict on Saturday and could not attend the meet or swim the open 50 fly that day. At the meet on Sunday, during which I also swam the 50 free and 100 IM, I asked both the meet director and referee for a recognized time trial in the 50 fly. They both granted the request and asked for all my pertinent information so that the time would “count.” It took place immediately following the relays on Sunday. The time trial was done in accordance with all the rules, with timers, officials, etc. all in place. I have a video of the race where you can see the stroke and turn judge officiating.

Concern over my time came to my attention only after I noticed that my time, after first being included in the USMS event rankings database, had been deleted without explanation or notice. I emailed Ed to inquire what had happened to my time. At the time, I had no idea how the official status of the time trial even became an issue.

I understand that Ed wrote you about procuring an event or meet recognition at this juncture and that you advised him that there is “no provision for securing a sanction after the fact.” Perhaps so, but it is also true that nothing in the rules expressly prohibits procuring an event recognition at this juncture. Nor should it.

First, none of the rules cited or referenced by the Rules Committee refer to or explicitly regulate time trials. Indeed the term “time trial” never appears in the rules and does not appear in Article 5, which concerns Top Ten recognition. If there is any uncertainty regarding application of USMS’ rules, as there is here, they should be read in favor of the affected swimmer. This seems particularly true where a narrow or strained reading of the rules would limit the ability of masters swimmers to obtain official times.

Second, Rule 103.13.1 enumerates the ways in which Official times “may” be achieved. The rule uses the word “may” not “must” and hence does not exclude time trials. Indeed, many masters swimmers obtain times in this fashion. In fact, time trials were swum in other USMS sanctioned SCM meets in November and December.

Third, Rule 202.2.1 provides that recognition of events “shall be issued” upon application to and approval from the LMSC. The time trial was run in accordance with all rules as required by Rule 202.2.E. It was authorized by meet officials, whose expertise I was relying on in good faith. And, importantly, a verbal recognition was requested and acknowledged at the meet. Since that time, the meet director, referee and Ed all agreed that seeking a Rule 202.2 recognition at this time was appropriate and also consistent with a pro-swimmer interpretation of the rules. This rule itself does not prohibit this procedure. If it is not prohibited, it should be deemed permissible.

Fourth, the Rules Committee suggested, in part, that the referee’s discretion with respect to permitting and recognizing the time trial was somehow negated by Rule 102.5, which states, among other things, that events “must be offered for all groups and both genders.” But this rule, by its express language, has no application here. The rule pertains to “planning a meet” and lists potential events at a meet, and expressly does not apply to time trials. Nor does the rule say anything about the necessity of making an “announcement” of a time trial at a meet.

The rule appears intended to address possible unfairness during meet planning. To the extent it could even possibly apply here, there were no swimmers who were disadvantaged. The meet director and referee did not deny anyone an opportunity to swim a time trial. I was just the only one who asked. Had another swimmer requested a time trial, I have no doubt the meet director and referee would have readily agreed. Had somebody asked to swim with me, the request would have been granted. Such flexibility naturally benefits masters swimmers by giving them more opportunities to achieve times, just as split requests do. At bottom, there is no difference between a referee being open to requests for time trials and a referee making an announcement. In either case, there is no discrimination and, more importantly, the rule is silent on both situations.

In sum, because Rule 102.5 does not apply to time trials and/or its application is ambiguous at best, the referee’s discretion to “decide all questions relating the actual conduct of the meet” should be honored in this instance.

Fifth, under Rule 102.16.5, protests “arising from the competition itself shall be made within 30 minutes after the alleged infraction took place.” To my knowledge, none were timely lodged. The issue with my time arose several days after the meet had concluded. Thus, the complaint should be disallowed as untimely and the time trial should stand on this basis as well.

Finally, I understand that you were concerned that I would bump someone out of a Top Ten spot, but this is not so. My previous time from the IGLA meet last June will make USMS Top Ten. Prior to swimming at Zones, I had understood that this time would not count for FINA purposes because FINA had refused to recognize the IGLA meet. (I have recently learned that it has reversed this decision.) Thus, when I swam the 50 fly, I was not trying to bump someone or move up in the rankings. I was simply attempting to establish a time that would actually count for FINA ranking purposes.

In any event, however, the purpose of the Top Ten rankings is to foster competition, not to suppress it. Thus, even if my time had theoretically “bumped someone off the list” – which it did not – that should not be a reason to knock my own time off the USMS and FINA rankings. New and faster times are constantly swum, and rankings change frequently. That is the very nature of competitive swimming.

Thus, for the above reasons, I believe recognition of my time trial pursuant to Rule 202.2 is appropriate.

I appreciate your consideration. Thank you.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. IGLA Results Recognized

by , December 23rd, 2008 at 11:15 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    A forumite was kind enough to pass along this information to me:

http://www.ebar.com/columns/column.php?sec=sports

On December 4, FINA decided to recognize results from the IGLA meet. Good news for all swimmers competing and setting records there!

I'm almost done drafting my letter to the USMS Rules Committee.

I have also heard that there was, in fact, a complaint made about my time. I find it rather appalling that someone would misuse my blog in this fashion, and it was soured me somewhat on continuing it.

Updated December 23rd, 2008 at 11:21 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Extremely Unhappy and Disappointed

by , December 21st, 2008 at 11:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was just informed today that my 50 fly time trial at Zones will not count and will not be recognized by either USMS or FINA. I am very unhappy about this. I have swum the 50 fly in SCM twice this year, at IGLA and Zones. Neither time will count for FINA. My 50 and 100 backstroke times will not be counted by FINA either. So, with respect to FINA, it is as if I never swam my 3 best events. USMS will not recognize the 29.99 I just swam in the 50 fly.

Here is the sequence of events:

Background Facts:

I swam the 50 fly in a time trial at Rutgers. I approached the meet director and referee during the meet and requested a time trial. I had been urged by some knowledgeable masters swimmers to request a time trial. The meet director and referee both granted the request and asked for all my information so that the time would count. They said I could swim the time trial at the end of the meet after the relays.

When the meet results were initially submitted, my 50 fly time appeared in the USMS event rankings database on Tuesday following the meet. On Wednesday, it disappeared from the database. When this occurred, I sent emails to various people in USMS and on the forum asking what the problem could be. I got a HUGE range of responses, e.g., "time trials definitely count," "time trials should count, there must be some mistake," "time trials don't count," "maybe there's an admin error." I also got myriad possible rules that might govern -- different interpretations from everyone. Nothing consistent at all. No one seemed very sure about the rules.

I was also concerned, and this concern was shared, that possibly someone had read my blog and complained about the time trial. If this was so, I was inclined to delete my blog. Who would do that to a competitor?! Should I maintain a blog if this were a possibility?

I canvassed many masters swimmers I knew and found that time trials had been permitted, events had been added to meets that were not on the entry form, meet results had been submitted when the pool was not measured, etc. In other words, times definitely counted when the rules weren't followed. (I would not, however, use any of these as example or precedent since I would not want a fellow masters swimmer's times possibly disallowed. What normal decent person would?)

LMSC Response:

I sent an email to the LMSC Chair asking about the issue and asking what had happened to my time. He was very sympathetic and discussed it with the meet director and referee. They all felt the time should count, took a pro-swimmer approach and approved seeking a post-meet sanction/recognition for the time trial. But someone on the NJ LMSC Board did not agree with the LMSC Chair's recommendation, and it was submitted to the USMS Rules Committee for consideration.

Rules Committee Response:

I just heard from the Rules Committee (Rules Chair, Kathy Casey) and they will not recognize the time trial. Tellingly, to me, as a lawyer, she "looked through the rule book to see if this could be done" rather than looking to see if anything prohibited it. Not a pro swimmer approach. Moreover, generally, as a legal matter, if something is not prohibited, it is permissible. She cited two rules allegedly governing "trials/finals," Rules 102.10.1A and 102.6. The referee has "discretion" over the running of the meet. However, he/she cannot "change the order of events."

I don't have my own copy of the rules, and need to print an online copy. However, I'm not sure the analysis is correct. I'm not sure the time trial "changed the order of events" (it was at the end of the meet) and I'm not sure it can really even be considered an "event." It is possibly more analogous to a "heat," which meet officials control. However, it may also not fall into either category.

In fact, from what I understand, there is no actual rule(s): (1) explicitly governing time trials; (2) mandating that an announcement of a time trial must be made at the meet; or (3) saying that post meet event recognition is impermissible. If true, the time trial need not have been disallowed at all.

In addition, Ms. Casey stated that the "real problem" was that, if I was doing it for top ten purposes, I could knock someone out of the top ten. Well, this is ridiculous. My prior 30.76 was easily in the USMS top ten. I would have knocked no one out if my 29.99 had counted. So the self-professed is pretty nonsensical.

I was also told -- and this really takes the cake -- that, according to the skeptical NJ board member who requested the referral to the Rule Committee in the first place (or else it would have been approved), that this was tantamount to a non-USMS swimmer seeking recognition for a time they swam at an non-USMS meet to register for USMS after the fact to have the time "count." What?! A request for event recognition that was approved by the meet director, meet referee and NJ Chair was sent to the Rules Committee on this basis?!

My situation is in no way comparable. I am a USMS swimmer swimming at a USMS sanctioned meet in a race that was in a legal measured pool, with officials and timers in place, and I was acting in reliance on the meet officials and meet referee. In this situation, I feel it is the meet personnel who should be penalized, not the swimmer. All meet conditions were in place and the supposed "real problem" did not exist.

I fee that I've been "ruled" against based on non-existent rules. It would have been just as easy, and more logical, to construe the rules in my favor.

Protest?

Moreover, I have no idea how this even became an issue in the first place, whether someone protested it and whether that protest was in writing. Here is the protest rule, which was not complied with, as my time disappeared days after the meet:

"Any other protest arising from the competition itself shall be made within 30 minutes after the alleged infraction took place."

also

'"Protests concerning interpretation of the rules...shal be submitted in writing (on paper or in an electronic file) within 10 days to the USMS Rules Committee chair, who shall issue a decision in writing within five days of the date of receipt of such protest, unless the USMS Rules Committee chair notifies the parties that the issue must come before the entire committee. The ruling shall be final and binding on all parties."

Problems raised by this issue:

This presents a myriad of problems:

1. Why are the swimmers penalized instead of the meet officials? Why aren't the rules interpreted in a pro-swimmer manner?

2. Why is there such inconsistency in treatment? Some times, even recent ones, were not done in accordance with the rules, and yet they count. Meets and meet directors do not follow the same rules; they all run differently. How can this be fixed? Are swimmers really expected to bring their own rule books and lasers to the pool? Why is mine singled out when I was acting in good faith and relying on meet officials? And why can I not learn precisely why there even became a "problem" with my time in the first place and why it disappeared from the event ranking database?

3. How can times just disappear without swimmers being notified? It's like being DQ'd after the fact and not being told of the DQ. If I can be DQ'd and it's not my fault, I don't want to participate in the first place.

4. What the heck are the rules anyway? Of the myriad people I consulted, I got many different answers. Only one gave me the answer the Rules Committee ultimately issued. Maybe there should be a "pitfalls" section on meet entry forms? Obviously, most masters swimmers are not aware of the actual rules.

5. It is troublesome that even the rules enforcers don't know the rules -- even those running Zones Championships meets. How about these people learn the rules? If they don't know the rules, penalize them and not the swimmers. But to throw a legal swim out after the fact? On the other hand, if an explicit "rule" on time trials is not in the rule book, how can they know the rule?

6. Rules need to be drafted or modified with respect to time trials. Instead of interpreting or stretching existing rules or offering rationalizations or underlying but non-codified "real reasons" (not in the rules) why something "must" be done, spell it out: "time trials will only count in X circumstances." Otherwise, inequities will continue to occur. In general, I think time trials should either count or not, one way or the other. Having them count "sometimes" and "depending" will only create problems.

I am just disgusted. My 3 best events in SCM will not only not appear in the FINA lists for 2008, they will not appear in the all time top ten list where they belong. It's not that much consolation right now to say, "well, you know what you swam." Yes, I do. But we swimmers swim for time and compete against the clock. We swim at meets, and taper for meets, and prepare for meets, and travel to meets (sometimes at our family's expense), so that our times "count" and so that we can measure ourselves against our competitors in the nation and world wide. To have them thrown out after the fact and without notice, is dismal.

I have no idea if there is a right of appeal. But I have inquired.

Updated December 22nd, 2008 at 03:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Stroke Day, December 21

by , December 21st, 2008 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam with my team this morning. First time in ages as our pool's been close for USS meets most weekends in December.

Warm up:

1200 of various swim, kick, pulls, drills, scull was assigned. I did 700.

Main Set:

4 x through:

1 x 200 IM on 3:00
    4 x 50 choice on :50
    4 x 25 AFAP on :30
    #1 fly
    #2 back
    #3 breast
    #4 free
    extra 30 seconds rest

(I really enjoyed this set. Worked the 200 IMs and 25s. Cruised the 50s doing backstroke with good technique.)

50 EZ

Kick Set:

1 x 300 kick on 5:30
    3 x 100 kick on 1:50
    4 x 24 kick on 1:00 AFAP

200 C/D

15 minutes in the hottub trying to ease the calf muscles and yucking with a couple teammates.

Total: 3650

Thoughts:

The kick set was sort of a waste for me. I was getting calf cramps throughout, and had to skip a couple 50s. On reflection, I think this was partly because the kick set was at the very end of practice. I'm used to doing kick sets after warm up or in the middle of my own practices. My lanemate had the same issues and swam the set instead.

Was mulling over the "two meet taper" approach. Ande did very well swimming at Ron John and Long Beach just "holding" his speed/taper. Wally Dicks swam at the Dolan meet, and did very well, and then went to a meet last weekend at the Cantonville Y in MD (crap pool) and swam 26.3 in the 50 breast -- a huge PB. He called it his "6 week taper." Sometime I'd like to try this approach and see what happens, although it would be a whole lot of tapering.

Was sore today from weights. Still wheezing a little. Didn't bother to SDK much at all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Saturday, December 20

by , December 20th, 2008 at 03:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    35-40 minutes at the gym doing weights and core (yes, I did weights 3x this week!)

30 minutes on the ellipse. Had been planning on the treadmill, but wasn't wearing my running shoes.

5-10 minutes of stretching

Absolutely no hychondriacal issues to report. Feel great. Having dinner with friends tonight, and going to my team practice tomorrow for the first time in ages.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday, December 19

by , December 19th, 2008 at 03:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Just got in an hour at the gym today. No cardio. Did weights and core work.

Saw someone I knew back when I was a shark corporate lawyer and he said, "Wow, what have you been doing? You're so buff." Hmmm .... This only further proves my theory that swimming makes me a tank and that weights definitely make you buff. So Paul Smith and the lovely Laura are dead wrong!

Decided to sneak into a USS meet (PV January Open) to do my first 200 backstroke where no masters swimmers can hoot and howl and make fun of me. (Of course Mini-Fort and her coaches may have a good yuck, but that's another matter.) No idea what to put down as a seed time, really. But, safe to say, I do not plan on taking it out fast. I thought about swimming the 200 IM on Sunday for one very fleeting moment, but quickly came to my senses and decided to go to my team practice that day instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Maintenance, Thursday, December 18

by , December 18th, 2008 at 03:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Arrived at the pool and did not feel any FAF whatsoever. lol Still wheezy. A bit tired too perhaps, haven't had a day off since Zones. But I need my endorphins right now. Decided to do more aerobic/maintenance type work. I may stay on this course, at least with swimming, through the holidays with just a little speed here and there.

Warm up:

700 swim, kick, drill

5 x 100 single arm fly drill on 1:45

Aerobic Sets:

4 x 100 dolphin kick on back with MF on 1:30
    3 x 100 IM on 1:45
    2 x 100 backstroke kick on 1:45
    1 x 100 backstroke, somewhat fast
    2 x 100 backstroke kick on 1:45
    3 x 100 IM on 1:45
    4 x 100 dolphin kick with board on 1:45

50 EZ

500 fartlek dolphin kick on back with MF

100 EZ

Total: 3750
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Grinchy Humor

by , December 17th, 2008 at 08:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I've been a bit stuffed up, sore throat and a cough the last few days. Thought perhaps the hypochondriasis was kicking in and/or I was getting a cold. But nooooo .... Just had a massive hive attack. Believe I am allergic to the xmas trees. They bothered me last year, but not this bad. I just don't want my allergies to spiral out of control -- or else I will become Wolf Girl. Ack! Off to look for benadryl and inhaler ... I seriously would prefer to stay "robustly" healthy.

Updated December 17th, 2008 at 10:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Aerobic Work, Wednesday, December 17

by , December 17th, 2008 at 04:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Finally got around to doing some aerobic work today. Good thing too. I needed something not too difficult as my mind is off on a frolic and banter with xmas looming.

Warm up:

700 variety swim and kick

Aerobic Sets:

30 x 50, done as:
    1-10, backstroke (good technique) on :50
    11-20, dolphin kick with MF on :40
    21-30, freestyle (work on DPS) on :45
    (extra 30 seconds rest between each 10)

50 EZ

16 x 25, alternate EZ speed fly and EZ

50 EZ

Lactate Set:

5 x 50 dolphin kick on back with MF on 1:30 (went around 24.5ish)

200 C/D

Total: 3150

Updated December 17th, 2008 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Tuesday, December 16

by , December 16th, 2008 at 12:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class.

75 minutes in the gym doing weights, core, RC work and stretching. I've been adding sit-ups on the incline bench. They're getting easier. I was admiring Patrick's commitment to the Jason Lezak sprint program. I'm going to have to look at that more closely.

On the hypochondriasis front, my left shin is twingey near the inside of my ankle. This is where I previously had a stress fracture. When I get this twingey feeling, it either means I ran too much or need new running shoes. lol
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Kickin' It, Monday, December 15

by , December 15th, 2008 at 01:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, my legs are a bit tired from running this last week. Can't resist indulging in running after a taper meet though. I miss it after a couple weeks of cutting back. However, I'm pretty certain that, when tapering, the most important thing I need to do is rest my legs. That only works if I cut out lifting, spinning, running, and monofinning a couple weeks before a big meet or a week before an in season meet.

Chatted with Mr. Fort about my travel schedule. I never travel (at least via air plane) more than 1-2 times a year, as more isn't really feasible with my family commitments. But, I'm pretty much set on going to Auburn in February and Indianapolis in August. (Although I'm slightly worried that vacation planning may interfere with or derail Indianapolis. We'll see on that.) I also plan on going back to Rutgers in December. I really liked the facility and it's less than 4 hours away.

Spent some time looking at the Order of Events for Auburn. There is only one event between the 100 back/50 fly and between the 100 IM/50 free on Saturday and one event between the 100 fly/50 back and between the 50 back/200 back on Sunday. And the 100s, which are harder to recover from, are before the 50s. Right now, I'm thinking I'll swim:

Saturday: (And I am absolutely over the 1:15 pm start)

100 IM
    50 free
    50 fly
    (pass on the 100 back and go for a fast 50 fly)

Sunday: (9:30 am start)

100 fly
    (Must swim this event here because I can't at CZ Zones)
    50 back
    200 back
    (Can't decide whether to swim the 200 back or go for a 100 back split. I'd like to improve on the 1:04.7 that I swam on Geek 9:27.
    Or, to get more recovery time, I could swim the 50 breast, which despite my aversion to, I am wont to do on occasion.)

Today's Workout, a quicky with lots of kicking:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick

5 x 100 one arm fly drill on 2:00

Kick Sets

16 x 25 UW shooters with MF
    4 each on belly, left side, right side, back

50 EZ

2 X (5 x 50 fast on 1:15 + 50 EZ)
    5 fast flutter kick with board and 5 fast backstroke kick, legs burning here

50 EZ

500 dolphin kick on back with MF
    (I notice kicking on my back seems to work the upper and mid abs more than when kicking with a board)

100 EZ

Total: 2800
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sunday, Dec. 14

by , December 14th, 2008 at 05:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went to my team holiday brunch today. Great fun and everyone looks so different dry and in street clothes. lol Among other things, we chatted about the B140 or even B210 issue. Apparently, the college teams double suiting (before the ban) were using the B70 underneath and the LZR on top. Other schools are sharing B70s among their swimmers. Mason is getting LZRs for only those men and women going to Conference Champs. We also chatted briefly about Indy Nats, and I'm hopeful some of my teammates will go so that we can participate on relay day.

Got home, made Christmas cookies for hours and hours and then went on a 5 mile trail run at the W&OD.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Saturday, Dec. 13

by , December 13th, 2008 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo, even got my own lane on a Saturday. A miracle! The ever-present MF helped with that. I ripped off a couple of Chris's sets before strolling out the door and had a nice workout.

Warm up:

750 variety warm up of swim, kick, drills, builds

Speed Set:

8 x 25 AFAP,
    2 of each stroke, 25 easy after each

I decided to do this at the beginning of my workout as ehoch had suggested on his Speed Zone thread. Not sure I was warmed up enough. Didn't feel zippy. Next time, I might try doing it after I get a short aerobic set in.

50 EZ

Endurance Kick Set: Kick Mountain
    I did Chris's set on Chris's intervals, but with a board AND monofin.

50 kick on :35
    100 kick on 1:30
    150 kick on 2:15
    200 kick on 2:45
    150 kick on 2:15
    100 kick on 1:30
    50 kick on :45

100 EZ

Speed Set #2:
    (another one adapted from Chris's workout)

5 x (3 x 50) on 1:00
    #1 easy
    #2 drill
    #3 fast, about 90-95% (did them all backstroke and was around 27s)

100 EZ

500 dolphin kick on back with MF holding about a 1:10 per 100 tempo

100 EZ

Total: 3550

Updated December 14th, 2008 at 03:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Friday, December 12

by , December 12th, 2008 at 04:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Went on a 5 mile LSD trail run this morning. Forgot my running gloves like a total idiot. Ran some of the time with my hands in my jacket pockets. Almost got hit by a deer jumping out of hedge. My first thought, of course, was "just not my shoulder." lol

1 hour at the gym doing weights and core.
    Categories
    Uncategorized