View RSS Feed

Test Sets

1. LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    5 x 50, done as 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise
    50 EZ

Lactate Tolerance Set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    hold best average

Went: 24 low, 25, 25.5., 25.5, 25.5, 25.5, 26.0, 26.5, 26.0, 25.5

500 EZ

Total: 2400

10 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This lactate tolerance set is from Maglischio's Swimming Faster. I hadn't done this set in over a year (Oct. 2009). Last time I did it, I held 27.5s, but I did that after a drylands workout. Today, I was obviously much faster. I guess my kicking has improved in the last year, or been aided by the addition of the nose clip. The first one felt easy and I was surprised at the time. Then the lactic acid promptly hit on #2. Thought I was going to hurl after the last one. This set -- any lactate set really -- is extremely hard to do solo. This one is especially hard for me because it combines speed + a hypoxic element because I'm underwater so much. At least this one is only 10 minutes of hell. Didn't feel like doing anything else afterward.

Saw an interesting article in the WSJ -- "A Workout Ate My Marriage" --
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...share_facebook.

I have to confess that Mr. Fort and I seem to see much less of each other on weekends than we used to since he went back to marathon training and century bike rides and I became a more serious swimmer. But at least we're both exercising and competing now so there's not the resentment that arises when only one spouse is exercising. When my kids were young and up early, I did used to get slightly ticked when he was gone running every single morning.

And for parents of teenagers considering college in the future, check out: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/. I read some of threads last fall, and they scared the crap out of me!

I may go to bikram yoga tonight. Haven't decided yet. Will edit my blog if I do.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  2. Wed., Jan. 26

by , January 26th, 2011 at 05:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

725 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    4 free, 4 backstroke kick

50 EZ

4 x 25, power kick to 15 & cruise in

50 EZ

Speed Work:

3 x 100 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ @ 7:00
    --broken at 50 & 75 by 15-17 seconds
    --I prefer to leave on an even interval

#1 = backstroke (16 seconds rest)
    50 = 24
    100 = 1:23-32 = 51

#2 = fly (16 & 17 seconds rest)
    50 = 24
    100 = 1:22-33 = 49

#3 = backstroke kick (15 & 17 seconds rest)
    50 = 25
    100 = 1:23-32 = 51
    -- couldn't stay under as much as I wanted on this one. lactate setting in.

100 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP (25)(tired)

225 EZ

Total: 2450

Ouch! Those broken 100s hurt. The fly was very fast for me. Typically, my backstroke is faster in practice (faster underwaters on backstroke).

School was cancelled today. Maybe a 1/2 inch of snow this am, but now it's coming down pretty heavily. Glad I went to yoga last night, as I definitely won't be going anywhere tonight. I'm sure school will be cancelled again tomorrow. I'm just hoping I can get to the gym at some point in the afternoon when the main roads are plowed.

Updated February 1st, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  3. 16 Minutes of Pain, Thursday, Sept. 30

by , September 30th, 2010 at 03:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

700 variety

6 x 25 shooters w/fins

Transition:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick w/speed bursts

10 squat jumps off bottom of pool

LT Death Set:

8 x 100 @ 2:00, best average.

Did backstroke kick w/fins
    (Shoulders sore from weights, so thought I'd kick. And I haven't done a super hard kick set in awhile.)

Went: 58, 57, 57, 57, 58, 58, 59, 58

These were rough and painful right from the get go. Being somewhat breathing impaired, I couldn't stay under as much as I wanted. So my SDK count per 25 was 10-12, 7, 6, 4-5. The last 25 sucked on each 100 and I kept expecting Pete to track me down like he often does. I suppose, though, that it's relatively harder to keep the SDK count high when you're doing the 100s @ 2:00. There was not a lot of chit chatting on the wall between 100s. Thankfully, we made up for that in the hot tub later.

250 EZ or so

Total: 2400

Commentary:

As Pete said, this set is dastardly. After 4, I was ready to get out. That's when it helps to have a training partner! I feel pretty blasted. I know I should do a yoga-stretch for 30 minutes. If I somehow manage to accomplish this feat -- for it seems like a feat at the moment -- I will update my blog.

84 degree pool temps are way too hot for this set. It would be better tolerated at Mason, I think.

Have an appt. to get my foot jabbed on Oct. 5. http://www.treatingpain.com/diagnosi...ch-plasma.html.

Updated September 30th, 2010 at 06:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  4. More Speed Work, Tuesday, Sept. 28

by , September 28th, 2010 at 08:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Headed over to Oak Marr around 1:30. Couldn't get there in time to swim with Speedo due to foot MRI. Though I do enjoy his kick set. Did the following:

Warm up:

800 various

Transition:

8 x 50 double shooters w/MF @ 1:00

10 x squat jumps off bottom of pool (7 feet deep)

8 x 25
    odds = build to fast flutter kick shooter or underwater free recovery
    evens = EZ

4 x 25
    odds = fast flutter kick w/board
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

Speed Set/RA Broken 100s w/fins:

4 x 100 @ 8:00 broken as:
    1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 25 @ :30
    1 x 25 kick @ :30

150 EZ after each

Went fly (24, 11 high, 12); back (24 low, 12, 12), breast (30-31, 14, 12), IM (25, 12, 12)

Last time I did this set with Speedo @ 9:00 and went:

Odds back and evens evil w/fins
    #1 went 25, 12, 12 (sluggish start)
    #2 went 30, 15, 15
    #3 went 24, high 11, 12
    #4 went 29, 14, 14

200 EZ

Total: 2700

Commentary:

I felt horrible in the water today. Not sure why. Could be lack of solid sleep, combined with allergies. I was sleeping relatively well for awhile, and I seem to have fallen off the wagon again. I got a PM from our resident Dr. Jaegermeister saying, after reading my thoughts in Swimmer, that I was on the right track to help correct this issue somewhat. So I will carry on.

The water also felt like a bath after swimming at Mason a couple times in a row. Definitely felt more than 84 to me today. A young guy hopped in my lane to swim while I was getting out and went on and on about how cold it was. I just rolled my eyes. It's people like that (and the noodlers) that keep the Rec Center pools at uncomfortable temps for anything but lap swimming and noodling.

Spoke to a Machine coach for a bit at the end of practice. Wondering why I was practicing solo, slight recruiting nod. He will be at the Sprint Classic coaching some Machine masters swimmers. Sometimes I wonder if masters joining USA teams will result in more USA growth than more masters team growth. USA teams often have more options for swimmers, case in point Speedo.

My fly still feels kinda bouncy. I think I need to do some easy speed fly to fix this issue.

Odd Allergy:

My food allergy doc also called today to tell me that I am, in fact, allergic to pomegranates. What a weird freakin' allergy! And, unfortunately, I have been poisoning myself as I usually add pomegranate juice to my smoothies and sometimes sprinkle the arials on my salad. My darn Gu Brew is even pomegranate flavored. At least this is an easier problem to correct than avoiding gluten and dairy. I hope I will feel better through avoidance; it's bad enough with fall allergies. Several friends agree that this fall is worse than ever.

Hmm .. I just googled pomegranate allergy at Jimslie's urging. I have zillions of symptoms of this "rare allergy:"

Runny nose
    Watery eyes
    Sore eyes
    Itchy eyes
    Red eyes
    Cough
    Hives/Rashes
    Asthma
    Hoarseness
    Throat swelling
    Sneezing
    Wheezing
    Sinus pain
    Breathing problems

Lovely! But perhaps this explains why my eyes are in their current state of malfunction.

Terminology:

I'm wondering about our use of the terms "speed work," "race pace'" and "lactate tolerance." Q and I were discussing it in Patrick's blog. I had thought that race pace work could be done either way -- as speed work with mega rest or as a lactate tolerance set w/less rest so you were still (and more painfully so) battling the lactate and building power endurance. I was thinking of "race pace" as perceived effort for X distance. Is there a more specific usage of these terms?

Updated September 28th, 2010 at 11:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  5. Thursday w/Speedo, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2010 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I hauled my unrefreshed, allergy addled, geriatric feeling (Jimslie) body to the pool for a lunchtime swim with Speedo. We did the following:

Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

800 various

8 x 25 shooters w/fins

Kick Set:

Pete and I did a portion of a kick workout we did frequently last year. I thought it was 5 x 200 kick, but it was 6. I took a nature break and did an easy 100 during #6, as I wasn't expecting it. My times were faster than I expected.

5 x 200 backstroke kick, no fins @ 3:30

I cruised #1, and immediately cramped. (I fear my allergy meds are causing dehydration.)

Then I went: 2:56, 2:53, 2:52, 2:51.

I looked back at a couple of my previous sets. I usually cruise #1-2 and then go.

On 2/4, I went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56, 2:51
    On 12/28, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:55, 2:53

So today's set was a slight improvement over last time. I didn't kill the SDKs. I took 8+ on the first 25 and then 6 (usually) thereafter.

100 EZ

20 x 50 Petra Paddle Drill Set @ :45

Extra :15 between sets of 5 to switch paddles
    I left my fins on to float my shoulders, which are still sore, but didn't kick much.

1-5 w/strokemaker paddles (I don't use Pete's he man version)
    6-10 reverse paddle drill
    11-20 swim (I joined Pete in ditching the paddles)

The last 5 I tried to pick up the pace and went high 30s, breathing every stroke.

200 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

It was great to swim with Pete again today and we mulled over a number of topics such as:

1. If fins increase your leg strength and endurance, do paddles increase you shoulder strength and endurance? And is that why Petra (Mason sprint coach) is obsessed with them?

2. What nickname is Geek going to come up with to ride Pete about Gaga?

3. Why do Mrs. Speedo and I so get irked when our children or spouses eat something before dinner or fail to eat the delicious food we make them?

4. How much dryland work is sufficient? Pete is considering cutting back to 2x per week. I am thinking my sessions are too long and that I can't recover quickly enough. I perused my last 80 minute session and see that I started off with 3 x 75 med ball slams and 75 push ups before I even hit the weight room ...

5. Life would be infinitely improved if we could have a daily massage.

6. Pete needs to keep taking his 100 back out fast to keep putting up stellar times. I need to do this as well (I did it, finally, in Atlanta) and not die the last 15 yards.

7. Pete and I agreed that "that perfect blend of caring and not caring" (from Andre Agassi's autobiography) produces the best meet prep and results.

8. Petra really likes to train her sprinters with hypoxic freestyle. Pete likes oxygen. And, despite my love of underwater dolphin work, I insist on breathing every stroke in freestyle, except during a race or timed swim. I just don't buy those 3-5-7 breathing sets, so refuse to do them.

Tomorrow, I am going to haul myself out to Mason to swim in a cool pool and do some aerobic set. Trying to decide whether to swim in regular suit, B70 or wetsuit. I saw a couple tris using full sleeve wetsuits today at Oak Marr. No idea how they do that when the pool is 84 degrees ...
    Categories
  6. Bummer, April 6

by , April 6th, 2010 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pouting First:

My meet this weekend is apparently cancelled for insufficient attendance. Oddly, it doesn't indicate this on the PV masters website and I didn't receive an email to that effect. I found out on FB from other swimmers who were notified. WTF? Did my entry form get lost in the mail again?! Really bummed about this as I was hoping to get some much needed start practice and speed work as well as times in a couple events. 2010 has been a tad disappointing so far. The Richmond meet was marred by blizzards and cramps. The Albatross meet was marred by the flu and a stolen suit. Now this meet is cancelled. I think this may be the first year I don't have a tapered time in the 50 free. And I was hoping for a re-do of another event. Crap. I also may change my Zones events in light of this.

Swim @ Oak Marr w/Speedo:

At least I had a workout buddy today! Speedo and I tried out a Rich Abrahams set. It was definitely more speed work than a true lactate set, though my legs were burning by the end. The 3 x 100 AFAP set is far worse.

Warm up:

800 various

Transition Set:

odds = swim
    evens = backstroke kick

I didn't feel so great on these. I was sore and felt like I was moving through jello a bit.

Speed Set:

4 x broken 100s @ 9:00, done as follows:

1 x 50 swim AFAP @ 1:00
    1 x 25 swim AFAP @ :30
    1 x 25 kick AFAP @ :30

200 EZ after each

I did mine with fins, as I am wont to do with speed work. I think I should have been slightly faster on these. However, given that I am sore and tight, the times weren't too bad. #2 was the best and #4 was the worst and hurt the most. My legs gave out on the last 25 kick.

#1 = back
    25 + 12 + 12 = 49

#2 = back
    24 + high 11 + 12 = high 47

#3 = breast
    30 + 15 + 15 (swam this) = 1:00

#4 = fly
    24 + 12 + 12 = 48

I was gasping and panting a lot more than Speedo on these. I think he was loafing.

Total: 2500

Massage:

Had a massage today to help ease soreness and prep for the now cancelled meet. Oh, well, I really needed it. She said I was tighter than usual. I guess with the intensity of my workouts, I need to stretch for a period of time every day and not just rely on periodic yoga to keep me loose. Now, I am off to mull over my Zones entries and re-decide what to swim. Since the 100 IM is my 6th event for Nats (and could be cancelled since I refuse to time ), I'll have to stick with that one.

I'm going off the wagon and having a glass or two of chard tonight. I can't tell any damn difference anyway!

Some ab exercises:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5BE8opXTA"]YouTube- Six Pack Abs Great Abs Exercise "Exercises Abdominals"[/nomedia]

Updated April 7th, 2010 at 12:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  7. Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25

by , February 25th, 2010 at 06:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

10 x 25 shooters on back

Transition Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00, mod pace
    mixed up strokes

Lactate Set:

3 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ) @ 9:00

Pete and I both approached this set with trepidation. He hadn't been feeling well; I'd been feeling tired. But we had at it, exceeding our expectations and improving since the last time we did this set on 10/1/09. Pete did free, and I did back with fins like last time. I felt like death on the first one; I was completely gassed and faded with typical wimpy sprinter elan on the last 25. Had to mentally regroup. I contemplated doing fewer SDKs on the first 25 to see if I had more left at the end. But the only way I can beat Speedo is to get an early lead via SDKs and try to hold it, so I persisted. He got me on the first two nevertheless with his new super duper flutter kick. The last 100 I concentrated on keeping my upper body as still as possible and staying under as long as I could. This yielded a better time. I was slightly nauseous after this set. Anyway, it went thusly:

1st 100:
    last time: low 53
    this time: low 54

2nd 100:
    last time: mid 53
    this time: mid 53

3rd 100:
    last time: 54 low
    this time: 52+

Total: 2450

I consider this an improvement on last time, mostly because I descended my times instead of ascending them. I was dead after this and had no desire to do any drills. Limped to the hot tub for a 10-15 minute soak.

P90X Stretch:

I never realized there was a P90X DVD devoted just to stretching. Found this out today from a P90X trainer on FB (it's disc 7). I didn't feel up to real yoga, but felt like I needed a stretch since I was sore and tired. So I plugged the DVD in, and did about 45-50 minutes of it. I fast forwarded through the tricep stretch part, which seemed to be the verboten USAS shoulder stretches. A few of the stretches were bikram yoga poses. This was just what I needed -- yoga light -- without the taxing standing and balancing postures.

Here's a list of the stretches: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90x-str.php. For those of you short on time, I recall Paul Clydesdale Smith saying that he aspired to always start his day with 10 sun salutations.

Here's an article on the health benefits of yoga, including that it may help prevent cancer: http://www.mdanderson.org/publicatio...abenefits.html

Here's a list of P90X recipes for breakfast:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/new...tter)#nl_offer

Here's a FB P90X article (on Tony Horton's page) that agrees with Michael Pollan's book below about fewer ingredients being better: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=320400757403.

Nutrition/Diet:

I've been reading Michael Pollan's short book, Food Rules. It's very short and zippy and and cleverly debunks the machinations of "The Nutritional Industrial Complex." The basic message is: (1) eat real food, not ersatz "edible foodlike substances" that are typically packaged; (2) eat mostly plants, and (3) don't eat too much.

He accurately calls nutrition an extremely young science. There are only several verifiable facts. The so-called "Western" diet (with processed foods, meats, fat, sugar, refined grains, little fruit & veg) causes disease (obesity, cancer, heart disease and diabetes). It's not known which of these dietary elements is the evil culprit. Too much focus is being placed on identifying the culprit, he opines, because food manufacturers can then tweak their products, process food more, and well, make more money.

He lists 64 rules and explains them. See, e.g., a couple reviews:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/2010/01/...food_rules.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/health/02brod.htm (Jane Brody)

I chatted with Jazz briefly about the book last night. He likes Pollan's approach, but wonders if he discounts starch too much. See, e.g.,

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/09/10/29586.aspx

I was wondering about one of his comments -- that we have an "inborn preference for sweetness and fat and salt." What evolutionary process explains this? I guess it's the food processors manipulating us?

So far I'm having a banner day nutrition wise!

Mr. Fort's Studliness:

I am the worst athlete in our family apparently. Mr. Fort turned in some impressive results on his testing:

body fat = 7%
    VO2 max = 61
    lactate threshold = 91% of VO2 max

I don't know much about VO2 max except that is apparently somewhat innate and cannot be improved upon too much. It varies by age and gender. The average college male has a VO2Max of 44, I'm told. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max[/ame].

Mr. Fort's lactate score is the most impressive. According to Joel Friel's Cyclist Bible, elite cyclists have a 80-90% range. And Mr. Fort is 50!

I have no desire to have these test done, though Mr. Fort did urge me too. There is another test for anaerobic power output that he didn't take.

Commentary:

That was a smackdown. I'm tired and sore. My shoulders are sore from the lifting earlier this week. My legs are sore from the AFAP SDK-ing. Tomorrow, will be another recovery type day with probably some bikram yoga.

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 10:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga , Test Sets
  8. Feel the Burn!

by , February 4th, 2010 at 04:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from my iPhone as I stand in line for an hour waiting to get into the HS Regional meet ...

This morning, I met Speedo at OakMarr for our Thursday swim. Fortunately, he checked the website and saw the pool closed at noon, so we met at 10:30. We did the same kick set we did last Thursday. I was worried my legs would still be gassed from my marathon kick session yesterday, but I actually went faster than last week. Pete was somewhat surprised at my kick endurance (and honestly I was too), but I think all those shooters and kick mountains have paid off. It went thusly:

SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

800 various

Kick Set 1:

6 x 200 @ 3:30

1-2 cruise flutter kick w/board to get legs warmed up; I did 150s.)
    3-6 = backstroke kick, no fins

Went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56 (nose clip problems), 2:51
    I had a good last 25 on the last 200. These were hard!

To compare, last week, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:56, 2:53.

I'm hoping these have been some practice for next weekend's 200 back.

100 EZ

Kick Set 2:

6 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    odds = flutter kick w/board
    evens = backstroke kick

Went: 1:00, 1:03, 1:03, 1:02, 1:03, 1:01. Really got out after it on the first one. . Maybe a little too much ... Got a cramp on the second one and then just went as fast as I could. Legs were really burning. As I recall, last time I went 1:03-1:05. I'll have to check later. (Edit: Yes, my recollection was accurate.)

100 EZ

Kick Set 3:

10 x 1:00 vertical kick
    odds = dolphin
    evens = breast

100 EZ

10 minutes hot tub

Total: 2800 + VK

Commentary:

My wrist felt better today. That's a good thing after days of intense kicking and leg work! I' done over 10,000 yards in 8 days.

No other time for working out today. We'll see what tomorrow holds. I've heard that school for tomorrow is already cancelled. My investment in DVDs is really paying off this snowy winter.

Updated February 4th, 2010 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  9. Kick w/Speedo, Thursday, Jan. 28

by , January 28th, 2010 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Joined Pete for his periodic kick workout @ Oak Marr.

Warm up:

800 various

Main Kick sets:

6 x 200 kick @ 3:30, no fins
    - 1-2 flutter w/ board
    - 3-6 backstroke kick w/o board

Warmed up on the first two at a medium pace. Then went: 2:59, 2:56, 2:56, 2:53.

150 EZ

6 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:20
    - odds flutter w/ board
    - evens backstroke kick w/o board

Went: 1:03, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04, 1:04, 1:03

Pete said I was getting too much rest on these. Sheesh, I thought it was too little!

100 EZ

6min vertical kick:
    - 2min breast kick, hands above water
    - 2min flutter kick, " " "
    - 2min dolphin kick, " " "

250 EZ

Total: 3100 + VK

Commentary:

I hadn't done 200 kicks in a loooong time. In fact, I can only recall doing 200s with my MF -- probably b/c they're so long and somewhat tedious. For that reason, this was a good workout to do with a training partner. And it was tough, with a slow burn on the 200s. After the 100s and VK, my legs/calves were shot. I was going to do some drill work, but started cramping. So I joined Pete in the hot tub for 10-15 minutes. Definitely need to do some stretching tonight!

My arms were, as expected, a bit sore from yesterday's arm and med ball dryland workout. I'm thinking that med ball work is a quick way to get killer arms.

Hoping my legs will recover to do some speed work tomorrow.

And ugh! All of my kids are sick with colds and strep throat now. I hope I don't catch it!

Updated February 4th, 2010 at 02:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Ouch! Thursday, Jan. 7

by , January 7th, 2010 at 03:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Drylands:

push ups w/push up stand 3 x 15*
    ab roll outs w/power wheel, 3 x 15
    jump rope, 2 x 75
    prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15

* The push up stand seems to make the exercise harder to me. Perhaps it's the increased range of motion. The stands are definitely easier on the wrists.

P90X Ab Killer DVD (15 minutes):

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tcpx_p90x-ab-ripper-x-part-1_school"]Dailymotion - P90X Ab Ripper X Part 1 - a College video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7tcpx@@AMEPARAM@@x7tcpx[/ame]

Commentary:

I knew after my first few jumps with the rope that this would be a hard day. My legs were still totally dead from my brutal double on Tuesday. The word "cramp" was never far from my mind and, indeed, that is, unhappily, what ensued ...

Noon Swim w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

750 variety

6 x 25 shooters

Transition set:

odds = swim
    evens = kick

(I missed one of these.)

50 EZ

Main Set:

Speedo and I had decided to do Geek's lactate set (w/modifications) from several days ago. He was likewise weary from a hard practice yesterday. But, there really is no sense putting off lactate work, so we gamely had at it. I certainly plan to do more of it now that I've got some aerobic work under my belt.

1 x 200 w/fins @ 8:00

I swam 5 1/2 lengths and quit. I got a calf cramp the instant I pushed off to begin swimming. It didn't hurt as much when I dolphin kicked, but the minute I transitioned, it tightened even worse. It was so painful, I stopped. I'm a quitter. I was out in a :57. My stroke didn't feel very good (not like last week), so I was surprised to even go out that fast. The legs felt positively leaden.

150 EZ

1 x 100 w/fins @ whatevah

I did fly. Went a :59. Very unspectacular; I've gone faster. But at least it was a cramp free swim.

150 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins @ whatevah + 100 EZ)

1st 50 = fly, went :24
    2nd 50 = back. went :23.5 ish even though I slipped on the wall

These were faster than I expected and certainly better efforts than my 200 and 100. Good to know I haven't lost all my speed. Speedo's underwater SDKs and streamlining have really improved!

2 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 EZ @ whatevah)
    (one free, one belly shooter)

100 EZ

Evil Drill set:

5 x (3 x 50), RI = :20-25

#1 = breast kick (trying to keep knees close)
    #2 = PLD (pull, lunge, dolphin) breast drill
    #3 = Chris' breast drill where you alternate PLD with regular breaststroke each stroke. I really liked this drill and will continue to do it.

50 EZ

Total: 3350

10 minutes in hottub.

Commentary:

That was a nice kick in the pants and welcome back to the world of lactate pain. This would be a good set to repeat. The only problem with it from a sprinter perspective is that it's very hard to recover from that first 200. It takes a toll on the subsequent 100. I guess you could reverse the order of the set as well.

Definitely time to increase the race pace work!

I wish someone would come stand over me an make me stretch tonight. I really need it. I have no idea why I have a lapse of motivation in this area ...

Streamlining:

Pete and I discussed streamlining some and, in particular, 2 recent USMS tips. One is Chris Colburn's "hanging streamline drill" discussed here: https://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=238. Another is a tech tip drill Pete read about where you simply practice streamlining by pushing off and seeing how far you go. Keep repeating and hopefully see improvement. I'll definitely try these drills.

F Gluten!

I think I might have made it through my first gluten free day without accidentally glutening myself. Have been doing some reading. It also seems that muscle cramping and abdominal cramps can also be symptoms of gluten intolerance. http://www.celiac.com/articles/1106/...oms/Page1.html. In addition to my usual calf cramps, I've had some wicked abdominal cramps. Perhaps this will improve if I can successfully alter my diet.

Updated January 7th, 2010 at 06:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  11. Dryland + Allen Stark Set, Wed., Oct. 28

by , October 28th, 2009 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Dryland:

Did mostly plyos and core today as my back was sore from yesterday's lifting efforts.

Weights/Plyos:

lying triceps extension w/30 lb BB, 30 x 3 x 15
    standing full twist w/35 lb plate, 3 x 25
    squat presses w/15 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    chin ups, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    rock star jumps, 2 x 10
    squat jacks w/med ball on step, 3 x 15
    swing kicks, 2 x 25
    double airborne heisman, 2 x 1:00*

Core:

crunches on yoga ball, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    prone jack knife on yoga ball, 1 x 15
    (don't like this one)
    crunch + hold legs and head in streamline above ground for 5 seconds, 2 x 10
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    romanian crunches, 3 x 25**

* DAH = http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

**We don't have the correct bench or device to do these the easy way. So I sat across a bench, put 2 25s lb plates on my feet and did them. Tried to get my head as low to the ground as it would go. These are a good core exercise, but I don't recommend them for anyone with a sketchy lower back. Here's a video of someone doing them this way: http://www.sixpackabsexercises.com/b...es-on-video/42. He's obviously a male weenie since he can't lean back very far.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick drill

Ugh, at this point, I felt like I needed another recovery workout. So I tried an aerobic kick set to attempt to shake the torpor off.

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    8 SDKs each 25

50 EZ

Allen Stark Speed Set:

Allen has mentioned doing fast 50s @ 1:00 to failure on the forum. I asked him about it and he said:

The Swimming Fastest book gave several options for lactic acid tolerance sets and that one seemed doable. (I do them as BR pull dolphin kick with fins so my body doesn't get too confused about bad form. The fins also decrease shoulder strain.) The idea is to build up the lactic acid buffer systems so that you don't slow down at the end of a 50 and especially a 100.

So I decided to do 10 attempting to hold a perceived 100 race pace effort. I went slightly slower than a real 100 pace, as I was so tired from the drylands and swimming in shallower water than normal. Ideally, I'd like to do this set a second faster. And, when I asked Allen later, he said he usually does 6-8 -- not 10 --and is tired the next day.

10 x 50 back w/fins @ 1:00
    went 27.5ish on all of them

100 EZ

Recovery set:

8 x 50 back/breast @ 1:00

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x (3 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ) on interval whatevah

#1 = fast UW flutter kick shooter
    #2 = fast flutter kick in streamline
    #3 = fast free

100 EZ

Total: 3400

Commentary:

Feeling rather dead after the last two days. Only doing one workout tomorrow with Speedo and I hope I survive it! Then, drylands and hot yoga on Friday. Or at least that's the plan. There is a 4 day weekend coming off with the first quarter of school ending. I hate these!

Power Wheel:

I ordered a power wheel today. Not the ab roller, but the power wheel. So I have another toy to take to the gym. Toys Are Me.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....861_A_rnd_E_23

Updated October 28th, 2009 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  12. Blasted, Thursday, Oct. 1

by , October 1st, 2009 at 05:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Lovely! Woke up this morning and everything (well, except my head, ankles and knees) was sore. I guess 5 x 5 heavy weight is rather hard ... Probably should have eased into the weights more, but I ain't got time for that patience stuff with my current plan.

Instead of hitting the gym again today, I had a lunchtime swim with Pete at Mason. We had planned an AFAP 100 lactate set -- it's good to have company and someone to race for those. I must admit my stomach was a little queasy afterward ... Anyway, here's how it went:

SCY @ GMU w/Speedo:

Warm up:

900 variety swim, kick, drill

Shooters:

10 x 50 @ whatever, done as:
    25 UW shooter + 25 EZ DAB
    1-6, no fins (2 back, 2 belly, 2 back)
    7-10, fast w/fins (3 back, 1 belly -- I'm almost a second faster on my back)

50 EZ (during Pete's "nature break" )

Lacate set:

3 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ) @ 6:30-7:00 (estimate)

I did the 100s backstroke with fins, which matched up well with Pete swimming free. Gawd, these hurt.

Went 53 low, 53 mid, 54 low.

I had to summon some extra energy on the 4th length of the 3rd one so Pete didn't catch me. These times are significantly faster than a set of 5 x 100 back w/fins I did on May 20. In that set, I held 57-58s. I was shocked when I saw a 53 on the clock on the first one. I'm assuming I was so much faster because I had Pete pushing me and because I stayed under water longer (from what I can recall) than in May. I took at least 10 SDK on each length (my guess: 13-14, 12, 10-11, 10 per 25). Maybe GMU is slightly faster than the other pool I typically train in solo -- though I always swim in the deep end there too. Edit: checked my blog again. I lifted weights the am before my May lactate set. That could have made some difference, as I did weights yesterday before this set instead.

200 EZ

Total: 2550

15 minutes in hottub

Saw Mike aka the "Cage Fighter" at the pool swimming and kicking. He looks like he's lost weight from the Wardian distance workouts I always skip.

Hoping to go to hot yoga at 10:00 am tomorrow and, after a rest, do some explosive lifting in the PM. I hope Hulk is right and that I won't be toast after the yoga. After the last 3 days of training, I could use a good tonight!

Here's a nice little video of how I am currently swimming: Sip gatorade, quick dunk in the water, and repeat at leisure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_-oyAldfo&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Cat Under Sink[/ame]

Updated October 1st, 2009 at 09:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Weights + Lactate Set, Wed., May 20

by , May 20th, 2009 at 04:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights:

bench press (Hammer), 70 x 1 x 10, 80 x 1 x 10, 90 x 1 x 10, 100 x 1 x 8
    leg press, 310 x 1 x 10, 330 x 1 x 10, 350 x 1 x 10
    hi row (Hammer), 140 x 1 x 10, 160 x 1 x 10, 180 x 1 x 10
    forward lunges w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 20
    total ab machine, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 15
    decline reverse crunch, 2 x 25
    elevated crunch w/med ball, 2 x 25

prone scapular scrunches w/ 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    hip hinges w/ 10 lb DBs, 1 x 15, left leg

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Decided to do a test set today. Hadn't done any real lactate work in awhile. I was tired from 4:30 am carpool duty and weights, but decided to just git 'er done anyway. There's never an ideal time to do these sets.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

4 x 25 UW shooter on back, no fins

2 x (25 build free + 25 EZ)
    1 x 25 AFAP free
    50 EZ

Lactate Set:

5 x 100 backstroke w/fins @ 8:00
    200 EZ after each one

Went 57.5, 57.5, 58, 57, 57
    (cramped on the last couple, but swam through it)

I'd like to also have a test set for 100s kicking and 50s swimming and kicking.
    Total: 2475

The soreness from weights has abated. But there are still a couple isolated muscles in my upper arms bothering me. I'm not sure, but I think they are from using the ab sling. The ab sling seems to take some of the direct weight from the hanging ab work off the shoulders, but it's hard on some muscles. Not sure if this is something you get used to or not.

I've started warming up more on certain exercises before attempting to increase weight. As the weight gets heavier, this intuitively seems to be advisable. Am I doing this correctly?

McTrusty noted on his blog that Eddie Reese recommends keeping your hands very close together on your fly pull. Your thumbs, if extended, should almost touch. I think I need to work on this more. I'm pretty sure I've gotten most of the old S type pull out of my stroke.

Updated May 20th, 2009 at 07:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories