View RSS Feed

Ellipse Machine

1. July 6-8

by , July 8th, 2013 at 11:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Saturday:
    off

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday:

Had to take Lil Fort to the gym for a long run on the treadmill since it was ungodly hot.

Core Work:

external rotators
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    captains chair leg raises, 3 x 15
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    leg abductors, 110 x 3 x 6
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 15

Ellipse, 40 min

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 DPK back shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 belly shooters w/fins @ :40-:45
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles @ 1:10

Main Sets:

4 x (4 x 50 descend + 50 EZ) @ 1:00 w/fins & paddles
    R1 = free, descend to 100 pace (25)
    R2 = dolphin kick on back, under first 15 m
    -- crashed on the bottom the first one bc I was only in 7 foot deep water and had to adjust
    R3 = free, descend to 100 pace (25)
    R4 = dolphin kick on back, UW first 15 m

Total: 2300

INTERRUPTION: KICK POOP CLOSED THE POOL AGAIN!!!

I cannot tell you how ticked off about this I am. I was having a good workout and had planned on 1500 more. I went to SpringHIll because I had a dentist appt in the area. But the kiddie campers did me in again. I think they need someone to supervise them. Needless to say, it was another free session for me. But I have so little time to work out right now, that this was a disaster. I'm going to drive to Oak Marr tomorrow and hope for better luck. It apparently is best to arrive at 3:30 when the camper are gone (well, assuming they haven't closed the pool for a hour at 3:25). But I often can't go that late. Today, I had a summer league meet. If I have this same problem swimming in Pittsburgh, I swear I will sign up for a class at U of Pitt just so I can use their pool.
  2. Wed, March 27

by , March 27th, 2013 at 02:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Ellipse, 45 min
    RC 5 min

Body surfing, cliff jumping, 1.5 hours

Swim @ 20-25 yard hotel pool

300 EZ
    6 x 25 burst + cruise
    75 EZ
    10 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    25 EZ
    10 x 25 w/parachute
    50 EZ

----------------------------------

I felt tired in the hotel pool after my morning fun. I don't have the patience to really do much there either. I may get to the LCM pool one more time, but driving in Barbados is NOT for me! Headed back for round two in the ocean soon.
  3. Friday, Dec. 23

by , December 23rd, 2011 at 04:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    rear delt fly, 85 x 3 x 12
    power squat, 210 x 3 x 12
    wide grip lat pulldown, 100 x 3 x 8
    leg abductors, 130 x 3 x 8
    seated narrow grip row, 100 x 3 x 12
    leg extension, 90 x 3 x 8

Ellipse Machine, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After almost 2 weeks of farting around in the pool, I may be ready for a short sprint workout tomorrow.

I have been eating perfectly lately, lots of fruit and veggies and lean protein. But then I suddenly have no will power between 10-12 pm and fall off the wagon.

And not that it matters even a bit, but I did make my very aggressive 325 miles GTD goal for the year.
  4. Fri & Sat., Aug 26-27

by , August 27th, 2011 at 10:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Friday

P90X, 60 minutes:

Did the core synergistics workout with my bro. Hadn't done one of these in ages. A nice combo of cardio and core. I substituted bicycles, long arm crunches and V ups for the various planks.

Ellipse, 30 minutes

Mini Weights:

RC exercises
    alternating hammers w/17.5 DBs, 4 x 20
    ? (did some other upper body exercise that escapes me now)

Saturday:

Extreme Angle Isometrics:

squat w/15 lb DB, 5:00
    right lunge, 3:00
    left lunge, 3:00
    bicep w/5 lb DBs, 4:30
    elevated push up iso, 1:00

Insanity Cardio, 40 minutes:

BIG mistake to do the isos before this workout! My quads were burning right from the start. Insanity is killer - -much harder and faster than P90X. The last two exercises were burpees and push up jacks. Nothing like saving two of the hardest for last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I traveled all the way to MN and the pools are closed here too. Feeling slightly jinxed on the pool front. With the taper and time out of the pool, I fear it will take me some time to get back in pool shape. The only pool option appears to be an ancient YMCA. I will decide tomorrow if I want to go ghetto (assuming it is in fact open). In any event, the core and legs have gotten a drubbing. And I'm having a great time with the fam.
  5. Home, June 25-June 30

by , July 1st, 2011 at 10:11 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    June 25:

Spent the whole day in Santa Margarita and Portofino on the Italian Riviera. The two villages were breathtakingly picturesque! Once of my very favorite stops. The kids loved this stop as well (trying 5 kinds of pizza at lunch probably helped) and voted SM as having the best gelato on the trip. Quite a bit of walking, but no workouts today. Couldn't work out at night because Mini Fort and I had some mommy-daughter time at the spa.

June 26:

Spent a good part of the day on the Island of Corsica (towns of Carghese and Ajjacio), which is part of France. Corsica is rugged and beautiful; our drive along the coastline was amazing. Did some walking around and splashing about in the Mediterranean on a nearly deserted beach. Mental error: forgot my goggles. Workout before dinner:

leg extension, 130 x 5 x 5
    rear delt fly, 85 x 3 x 8
    tricep extension, 75 x 3 x 10
    captains chair straight leg raise, 2 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    floor DB bench press, 50 x 4 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

Ellipse, 30 minutes

-- Same as last time. Did 15-30 second AFAP bursts the whole time with complete recovery.

June 27:

Walked at least 4-5 miles in France around Villefranche, Nice and Eze. The villages were lovely, and Nice is a beautiful city. I'd like to live in the hills above the city! Stopped at a medieval wine cellar for a tasting of Provencal wines. Delicious! I find myself actually liking the rose we tried here and in Italy. Unlike most roses in the US which are blends, these were single grape wines from red grapes.

June 28:

Drylands, 80 minutes:

captains chair, 4 x 15
    steps ups with DBs, 50 x 3 x 10
    seated lat pulldown, 100 x 4 x 8
    push press w/DBs, 40 x 4 x 10
    lower back machine, 160 x 1 x 15, 175 x 1 15, 190 x 2 x 15
    -- weight seemed wrong on this machine; but the way the machine was set up, I got leverage from the legs
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    standing long jumps, 10
    RC exercises

Ellipse, 45 minutes

-- did 3 steady state sessions keeping my heart rate pretty elevated with a break in between each.

June 29:

Spent our last day of the vacation in Barcelona. It was a really long 12 hour day as we were trying to see as much as possible. Between walking and the hop on/hop off bus, we saw many of the top 25 sights. Loved wandering through the Barri Gottic and the Riberio. Did the major sites -- Las Ramblas, Barre Gottic, Montjuic, La Sagrada Familia (truly amazing and unique) and La Pedrera. We even made it to the Aquarium for Lil Fort (and a break from the sun). I liked Barcelona, but may have slightly preferred Nice as a city. And it's hard to beat its mountain + beach setting. We must have walked 5-6 miles this day.

June 30:

Flew home. Didn't sleep on the flight (reading a good book!), so believe I will be quite tired for a few days. Woke up at 7:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wish I had a body bugg with me so that I could have seen how many miles we walked, some at a very brisk pace! In general, I don't think I lost too much general aerobic conditioning or strength. But I know I will feel like utter crap when I get in the water today. Oddly, I never felt terribly sore after my strength sessions. I wonder if all the walking served as recovery? Or the extra days off helped? Or if the machines I used were calibrated incorrectly? I did feel like I was working in the gym.

So I have 1 month+ until Nationals. My only focus will be the 50 fly and 50 back. My other events will likely be collateral damage from vacation. I didn't swim that well in the 50s last summer after having 2 vacations. But this time I have slightly more time to get my act together. Hopefully, a narrow focus on speed will help.

And no rest for the weary -- A summer meet tomorrow am for both my girls.

Updated July 1st, 2011 at 11:49 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Ellipse Machine
  6. More workouts, Friday, June 22

by , June 24th, 2011 at 10:13 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands from last Tuesday:

leg extensions, 85 x 1 x 10, 100 x 2 x 8, 115 x 1 x 8, 130 x 1 x 7
    seated row, 85 x 23 x 10
    alternating hammers w/20 lb DBs, 2 x 20
    goblet squats, 65 x 2 x 10
    captains chair straight leg raises, 2 x 15

Friday:

chest press, 70 x 1 x 10, 85 x 2 x 8
    explosive leg press, 250 x 10, 270 x 2 x 10
    dumbbell row, 40 x 2 x 10 each arm
    captains chair straight leg raise

Ellipse, 30 minutes

dumbbell row, 45 x 2 x 8 each arm
    push press w/20 lb DBs, 2 x 10
    bulgarian single legs squat, 40 x 2 x 10 each leg
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    RC exercises

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Tough gym to workout in. Some woman almost whacked me with a dumbbell! It thinned out during my second round of drylands (over lunch hour) fortunately.

After the workout, I went to a lecture on Corsica. Very interesting -- nothing but conquests in its history. I was reminded that Corsica is the birthplace of Napoleon. Tomorrow, we are going to Portofino and Santa Marguerita on the Italian coast (in lieu of a very low ride to Florence). Going to catch some sun with Mini Fort now.
  7. Finally! June 21

by , June 23rd, 2011 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Have had very little internet access. Very little swimming either for that matter. Here's the "workouts" or what I remember of them. My iphone (with note function) just died as I am typing ... will have to edit later. Forgive typos -- typing fast on ipad.

Sunday:

Ellipse, 30 minutes

floor bench press, 50 x 4 x 10 (up 10 lbs)
    rear delt fly, 70 x 1 x 10, 85 x 3 x 8
    back extension machine, 175 x 3 x 15

Ellipse, 30 minutes

captains chair straight leg raise, 3 x 15
    goblet squat, 65 x 3 x 10
    tricep extension, 65 x 3 x 8
    something else

Ellipse, 15 minutes

Monday:

4-5 miles of walking in Malta

Tuesday:

4-5 miles of walking in Palermo

30 minutes weights (can't remember)

20 minutes Ellipse

Wednesday:

Maybe 2 miles of walking in Rome. Had tours there to jump lines at the Colliseum and Vatican.

Swim at Night, 2000 meters

In a 12.5 meter pool. I could barely do anything other than streamline in a pool so small. I chopped it up into groups of 20 laps. Almost felt tapered, though perhaps anyone would in this pool.

Thursday:

Hiked/walked maybe 4 miles, 2 miles at Mt. Vesuvius.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Having a fabulous time! Of course, this is not so surprising since I love to travel so much.

Started out in the island of Malta, which is almost a giant sandcastle with all the limestone buildings. Malta is the site of the movies The Count of Monte Cristo, Troy, and Gladiator and you can definitely tell! We began with a tour of a fishing village and a boat ride in the Blue Grotto -- spectacular (and the site of the scene in the TCOMC when he discovers the treasure). After sending the kids back, we walked about in the capitol of Malta, Valletta. I can't resist a medieval fortressed city, though the styles of architicture are myriad with all the foreign invasions. We had a lovely late lunch in a typical European cafe in a picturesque setting sampling the local Maltese wine.

The next day we journeyed to Palermo, Sicily. Mr. Fort and I walked at warp speed touring all the city's sights and the 25,000 churches in Norman, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical styles. Palermo is essentially akin to an Italian Manhattan except with narrower sidewalks and older buildings. Stoplights are few and purely for decoration. Mr. Fort and his running buddy almost got killed trying to run in this city.

We were in Rome yesterday. Love Rome, and have been there twice before. However, I think I will forevermore avoid it in the summer. I was really really looking forward to the Vatican Museum and Sistene Chapel (which I hadn't seen since it was renovated). But it was the most crowded and claustrophobic scene imaginable. Both wonderful and miserable. And I missed the Laocoon sculpture. (Nerdy art history freak here.) At the end of the day, I asked Lil Fort what she liked better -- the most famous church in the world (St. Peters) or the gelato. Her answer was predictable.

Today, we were in Naples, but skipped the ancient city in favor of hiking up Mt. Vesuvius and touring Pompeii -- both were amazing! In between, we stopped at a vineyard about 1/3 way up Vesuvius for a wine tasting and a stupendous lunch. Very lovely, and we ordered a case of wine. We finished the day at a local Napoli pizzeria. This was my fav day so far. Even the two 10 year olds enjoyed the day!

I may head to the gym for a short bit before it closes now. I haven't been able to peruse the blogs. Hope everyone's training is going fabulously! I am not looking forward to sucking my first 2 weeks back.

Ohhh, I'm getting a seaweed exfoliation and massage tomorrow!

Cheers everyone!

Updated June 23rd, 2011 at 03:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Ellipse Machine
  8. Wed., Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2011 at 05:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pure recovery day --

Gym:

20 minutes ellipse, warm up pace

20-25 minutes RC exercises

broomstick twists and dislocations

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continuous swim

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Felt flattened from the long day of drylands and the deep tissue. Decided to take a pure recovery day. These days are just ungodly boring, but they seem to be necessary for me to recover and they curb my natural impulse to overtrain. Tomorrow is an off day with appointments and errands and hopefully I'll be ready to kick Speedo's butt on Friday.

Updated February 16th, 2011 at 07:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Ellipse Machine
  9. Saturday, Feb. 12

by , February 12th, 2011 at 10:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 25
    russian twists on incline bench, 25 x 1 x 25
    step ups w/20 lb DBs, 40 x 2 x 15
    side step ups w/20 lb DBs, 40 x 2 x 15, one set each side (these take some hip strength)
    extreme angle isometric squat w/20 lb DB, 5:00
    elevated reverse plank isometric, 1:00
    HS low row, 100 x 2 x 10 (this bothered my shoulder more than other rows, probably won't do it again)
    skull crushers, 60 x 1 x 10
    abductor legs, 120 x 1 x 10, 130 x 1 x 10
    hip hinges, 25 x 1 x 10
    box jumps, 10

RC work

-- Had to skip the second set of some exercises b/c the gym was too crowded, my spots were taken and I wanted to do some cardio before heading out to Lil Fort's soccer game.

Arc Trainer Eliptical, 30 minutes

10 minutes stretching

Commentary:

I still have some nasty lingering cold type ailment, but it seems to be manageable with DayQuil and flonase. Really need to drag out the neti pot. I haven't been to yoga in awhile, but it does not sound appealing or seem advisable at the moment. Hoping to swim with my team tomorrow.

I see a funny new smiley, so I'll use it to say I'm psyched my AA held up (thus far) in the prelim SCM results. Much prefer that to my 2nd place finishes -- though I'll happily take those too! I'm chuckling a little: I would have made TT in the 50 back in the men's 45-49 as well. lol

Updated February 13th, 2011 at 04:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Ellipse Machine , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  10. Saturday, July 10

by , July 10th, 2010 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

crunches, 2 x 25
    russian twist w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 15
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    squat pulls on bosu, 35 x 2 x 15
    back extensions w/10 lb plate, 4 x 15
    goblet squats, 55 x 2 x 15
    skull crushers, 40 x 2 x 15
    kneeling ab crunches, 1 x 25 (couldn't tell weight really; forgot 2nd set)
    pole vaulters w/bar, 2 x 25
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 15
    leg press, 330 x 2 x 10

ball on wall, 2 x 50
    arm circles, 2 x 50, each direction
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 26
    3 position arm extensions, 15 each
    prone scapular scrunches, 1 x 25

Ellipse:

30 minutes on ellipse, watching first half of Uru v. Germ game

Commentary:

Trying to ease back into drylands. I've definitely lost a bit of strength and fitness from the long taper + 2 week viral malaise break + almost another 2 week vaca break. I'm still feeling unmotivated -- probably b/c I don't have a taper meet in sight. Hopefully, switching to TRX will produce some motivation with my predilection for "shiny new things."

I really wanted to go to hot yoga today after standing in the rain for hours at a summer league meet this am. But the only post noon class was at 4:00. No can do, as I'm headed out to a 6:30 dinner reservation with the fam. I asked the kids to be "agreeable" today for my birthday. So far, my request has been honored.

I uploaded 4 random pictures of Copenhagen, a fabulous city, and 1 from the beach in Warnemunde, Germany. Naturally, the family beach had topless women. The two 9 year olds on the trip were gawking. lol

Updated July 10th, 2010 at 05:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Ellipse Machine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020352.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	6418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020355.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	6419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020366.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	6420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020399.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	6421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020426.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	6422  

11. Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13

by , October 13th, 2009 at 04:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

My upper back was still sore from my Monday workout, so I decided to do mostly plyos, bodyweight work and some core work.

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    hanging reverse crunches w/10 lb weight at feet, 3 x 10

front lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    alternating side lunges, 3 x 25
    chins ups, 2 x 10
    rack chins/pulls, 3 x 15
    squats w/overhead shoulder press w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 10 (much harder when you're not pressing fast and using some momentum from the squat)

knee tuck jumps, 3 x 10
    box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 15
    clap push ups, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each side
    3 position arm extentsions, 3 x 2 x 15

10 minutes of stretching

Aerobic Work:

My usual pool was closed b/c of yet another kid accident. My gym pool is closed while they clean and put the bubble up. So, I did 20 minutes on the ellipse and 20 minutes on the bike.

Commentary:

We'll see how the shoulders hold out after the clap push ups. I put my hands on a mat to sort of cushion the load.

I really prefer rack chins to pull ups. They hurt my wrists less. Jazz and I were speculating that this is perhaps due to it being more of an isolation exercise with not as much of the lower body involved.

Q and I were discussing overhead squats on the thread from my Sunday workout. I'm thinking of adding them, as they are a compound exercise that really hits the core.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/08/...y-greg-gla.tpl

This article says you shouldn't start with the bar, but I was thinking I am sufficiently strong/flexible enough to try the bar?

Definitely hitting the pool tomorrow!

Saw the most recent clip of Natalie Coughlin on FB from Dancing with the Stars:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9atC0z1kc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Week 4 - Natalie Coughlin - Dancing With The Stars[/ame]

Like the mermaid-like costume! She looks in fantastic shape from all the running she's been doing.

I also saw that Brendan Hansen started a blog today:

http://puresportblog.com/

Updated October 13th, 2009 at 05:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Ellipse Machine
  12. 1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4

by , September 4th, 2009 at 06:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This afternoon, I dropped one kid off for a playdate and went to the gym and worked out until I had to pick up another from practice:

Core/Dryland: 50 min

Bicycles, 3 x 50
    Long arm crunches, 3 x 50
    Cable twists w/yoga ball, 40 x 3 x 15, each side
    Forward lunges, 3 x 15 w/10 lb DBs
    Total ab machine, 100 x 3 x 25
    Back extensions w/10 lb DB, 3 x15
    Chin ups, 3 x 7
    Squat swing, 25 x 3 x 15
    External rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm

Commentary:

I always thought bicycles were too easy, but not so much if you do a lot of them.

The squat swings with the plate are from http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html. (I need to review some of these exercises again.) This particular exercise seem to always tweak my left teres muscles when doing it, though it feels fine now.

I've re-started the chin up/pull up project. I'm thinking of sticking to chin ups this go round, as they don't seem to put as much stress on the knuckles of my right thumb and index finger, which can get cranky.

Here's an interesting article a friend sent me regarding core work:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehu...on-t-work.aspx

Ellipse: 20 min

20 minutes, moderate pace

10 minutes of stretching the legs and eating a balance bar.

Then hopped in the outdoor pool for a quick recovery/hypoxic workout. Beautiful day to swim outdoors.

Swim/SCM/Solo: 50 min

Warm up:

650 swim, kick, drill

40 x 25 w/fins

1-10: dolphin kick on belly @ :35
    11-20: dolphin kick on side @ :40
    21-30: dolphin kick on back @ :35
    extra 30 seconds rest
    31-40: easy speed fly w/8-9 SDKs @ :40

Note: Fly feels a bit off when my hamstrings are sore and tight.

100 EZ

Total: 1750 meters

Note: I think in the future I might track my swimming and kicking yardage to see what % of kicking I'm really doing. Of course, much of my "swimming" can be kicking too as I do extended SDKs often.

Speedo and I are planning to do a couple sprint oriented workouts together at noon next week. Looking forward to it!

Updated September 4th, 2009 at 06:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Sunday, June 28

by , June 28th, 2009 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights:

bench press, 70 x 1 x 4, 80 x 3 x 8
    low row on machine, 100 x 1 x 10, 110 x 1 x 10, 120 x 1 x 10
    alternating hammers, 20 x 2 x 30
    ab machine, 100 x 1 x 15, 110 x 1 x 14, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 10
    back extensions w/10 lb plate overhead, 2 x 15
    forward lunges w/20 lb weights, 2 x 20
    squat swing w/25 lb plate, 1 x 15 (this caused a twinge in the left scapular area, so I stopped)

external rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scrunches w/hand weights and elevated feet, 2 x 25
    arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15 (front, V, side)

10 minutes stretching

20 minutes on ellipse machine

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Very short swim. Really exhausted from lack of sleep and misadventures of last night (see below). Focused solely on technique, no energy for any hard sets or fast swimming on my own.

Warm up:

600 variety swim, kick, drill

Technique set:

32 x 25s, done as

16 x 25, 2 x through:

1-4 UW shooters (scraped bottom a few times)
    5-8 easy speed fly, focusing on DPS and breakouts
    9-12 backstroke, focusing on breakouts
    13-16 breaststroke, focusing on pullout and breakout

100 C/D

Total: 1500 meters

Not such a great night. Shortly after 9:00 pm, Mr. Fort gashed his calf muscle on some broken glass and I had to rush him to the ER. No nerve damage or trip to the OR, but 20 stitches. He won't be able to do anything for 2 weeks and can't run for perhaps 2 months depending on how it heals (can bike sooner, however). He is worse than me; he may need anti-depressants to combat the exercise deprivation. We didn't get home from the ER until 3:00 am. That's the third night in a row of going to sleep in the wee hours for me. I've been in a bit of a sleep deprived daze. Nothing compared to Mr. Fort's plight, but enough to keep me from being able to do any hard aerobic conditioning or speed work. Hopefully, I can catch up on sleep this week.

Still feel like I got in a decent week of training after my wasteful tapering: 5 swims (14,300 meters), 4 gym sessions, 3 bikes and a couple very short run/ellipse sessions.

Food:

Food front had been pretty good the last few days. Eaten plenty of lean meat, fish, veggies, salads, fruit etc. I haven't eaten a proper breakfast in the last couple days, as I've had to dash out of the house. That is NOT a good thing.

Kate Ziegler:

Here's an article from yesterday's paper on Kate Ziegler revealing that she was "burned out" by the Olympics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062604005.html

I've heard a rumor that she may join another team. A couple of the faster guys she trains with on The Fish are heading to college next year and she might be without training partners ... Perhaps she could use a change of venue, much like Hoff did?

Updated June 28th, 2009 at 08:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories