http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Recovery Swim, Sunday, March 18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the pool with Jimby this afternoon for some IG before he left for Pittsburgh. I felt fine during the swim, but like this now. Hope I can sleep tonight.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 fly drills

4 x 100 smooth @ 1:45

5 x through, mix up stroke & kick
    1 x 100 smooth @ 2:00
    2 x 50 smooth @ 1:00
    4 x 25 DAB @ :30

Total: 2750

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My iPhone went nuts earlier today. I have to restore it. I'm worried I will have lost all the pics and vids from yesterday as they weren't backed up. Sigh. Oh well, at least I saw the flaws in my fly race.

Back to the couch for the rest of the Walking Dead marathon before the season finale.

Holy crap. I just saw that Caroline Krattli and Sue Walsh have aged up into my age group. The recent crop of 50 year olds are insanely fast.

Preliminary results from the meet:
    http://www.pvmasters.org/results/ancm0312.htm

Updated March 18th, 2012 at 09:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 11:09 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Got a decent night's sleep and headed over to the pool around 1:00 pm. My houseguest, Jimby, showed no signs whatsoever of his previously reported malaise. And was fortified by my diva smoothie and eggs. Did about a 30 minute warm up and then hopped out early to don my new suit since I was in the first event.

50 fly SCM, PR/NR/WR, 29.54

Did this as a split request in the 100 fly so that I could swim it at the beginning rather than end of the meet. Very psyched and surprised by the time. My previous best was a 29.6 in a B70 back in 2009. Based on my 26.7 at Warrenton, I was secretly hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'd see a 29.99 if all went well. So I was thrilled to see this time. Particularly so, since (unlike Warrenton) my race execution was not great. I got off the blocks fast. But my breakouts were subpar: I lifted my head too much and decelerated slightly. I probably should have done one less kick. My walls were not ideal either. I glided a bit into the turn and had a major glide at the finish. I think this is just the difference between yards and meters. When I saw I was short of the wall, I did kick like crazy. Jimby videoed the race, so I'll upload it at some point. I was very fortunate, being in lane 1, that no one was swimming in the adjacent diving well. Only took one breath after the breakout on the second 25. This swim chopped .8 off my 30.35 WR set last December.

100 SCM back, 1:08.85, PR/NR

The starter held us a LONG time, the longest I've ever been held in a backstroke event. Everything went well in the race until the last 10 meters. I died the last bit (legs paralyzed) and had a HUGE glide into the finish. Definitely should have taken another stroke. This cost me a few tenths for sure. Splits were 32.5/36.2. So I got out after it. My underwaters were solid. I think I went 15/15/15/10 SDKs. I was right on the 15 meter mark at the start. A teammate in the stands said it was legal, but I was very close. This may mean that when I'm doing SDKs at 100 pace, I've got to stick with 14 at the start. Though I was slightly off the WR KPN set last week in France for her French team, I was still really pleased. I never thought I'd go a 1:08 and it is a new NR, beating my previous one from this meet last year. I remember the very first time I swam this event back in 2007 at this meet (next to Julie Roddin), I went a 1:15 with very few SDKs.

50 free, NS

Didn't get to swim this unfortunately. After my 100 back, which I swam around 5:30, I felt really sick for about 90 minutes. Nauseous and shaky and red faced. Couldn't warm down. First time that has ever happened to me at a meet. I think it was likely due to poor nutrition. I hadn't had anything to eat since noon except a few honey stinger chews after warm up. I probably needed more carbs in my system before ingesting coffee. Was likely too busy chatting and forgot. Need to keep better tabs on this in the future. I was sorry to bonk and miss this event since I was swimming well and had plenty of rest for it. But crap happens. It really did not in any way diminish my happiness with the other two swims.

200+ year 200 SCM mixed medley relay:

After another hour+ went by, I warmed down a bit and felt well enough to swim my team relay. Wolfy was watching and said I split a 29.5. I was surprised since I was tired (8:00 pm), paced the first 25 slightly, and took 3 breaths instead of one. I had better breakouts and walls though. I'll have to double check this split later when results are up. This is a good relay for our team. Last year in the 160-199 age group we were #2 in the nation. This year, with Speedo gone, our team captain anchored.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Really happy with the times!!! Last year, I swam like crazy at this meet, but had a full 3 week taper. I did the same drop taper for this meet that I did before Warrenton. But since I only lifted once during this 3 week period, my body was pretty rested.

And even though Nats is just around the corner, I glad I took this approach. I feel like I've knocked my 50 back and 50 fly in yards and meters way down, and they'll be untouchable for a little while at least!

Now for a recovery swim if I can ever get Jimby out of bed. He finally arose at 11:30 bragging that he out slept my teenager. I slept very little last night, so it may take me a few days to catch up on sleep.

Thanks to Patrick for writing this:
    http://theswimmerscircle.com/2012/03...other-barrier/

Updated March 19th, 2012 at 11:03 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events