View RSS Feed

Spinning

1. Wednesday, Sept. 1

by , September 1st, 2010 at 05:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was, quite predictably, sore today after two days in a row of vicious drylands. So I took it easy to reboot for tomorrow ...

P90X Stretch, 60 minutes:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90x-str.php

Although this DVD is called the "stretch" DVD, there are quite a few yoga moves in it. And there is some overlap with the P90X Yoga DVD.

P90X Yoga, 30 minutes:

I did the last 30 minutes of the yoga DVD after completing the stretch DVD. I skipped the first 60 minutes, which are mostly standing and balancing postures, as I was trying to soothe not strain the muscles. There is some good core work at the end of this DVD too.

Bike, 30 minutes:

Didn't feel like swimming today, the arms/back were too sore. So I did a 30 minutes recovery ride on the indoor cycle while watching a decidedly dreadful movie. My legs feel a lot better than the rest of my body.

Commentary:

Ahhhhhh, my muscles felt better after a nice stretch. Tomorrow, I will do drylands and go to my first team practice of the season at night.

I am having a heat temper tantrum. My truck says the temp is 103 and it can't cool down fast enough. Since I spend so much time driving, this is most unpleasant. Poor Fort Son had to rise at 5:00 for a 6:00 cross country time trial to avoid the heat. Bring on September!

I'm getting quite a nice collection of workouts now. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=127613750980. I'll have to pick one out for Friday.

And I'm putting this up for inspiration, while I mull over whether I will jump rope or not this season. http://www.projectswole.com/conditio...and-endurance/. Just reading the first practice -- jump for 30-60 minutes -- is a little frightening. Most likely, I will keep my tabata jump rope and do that 1x a week.

Back in the car to travel to a volleyball game ...

Trailer for upcoming documentary, for Geek, re: The Fatness:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSGUZrOU_w"]YouTube- KILLER AT LARGE trailer[/nomedia]

And a huge congrats to Dave Chaos Barra for swimming the English Channel in 14 hours, 27 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the rare triple of marathon swimming.

Updated September 1st, 2010 at 07:44 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning , Yoga
  2. Cursed, Friday, July 30

by , July 30th, 2010 at 08:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

That was all I could squeeze in, despite my grandiose plans for today. I would exercise tonight, but I've found the last two night practices I've been up to 1:00 am or later. Exercise does not make me sleep!

And I've decided I'm cursed or jinxed since getting off the ship ... I've had an enormous amount of dumb bad luck: Mr. Fort's bike accident, my car was hit and run (why do people do this?!), my car broke down tonight on the eve of vacation and I had to hoof it home, Garmin lost, door broken, freezer broken, teenagers gone bonkers as teenagers do, daughter to doc with eye problems similar to mine, SL politics, etc. etc. When I get to the beach, I am going to nothing except make sure my little one doesn't drown, read my books (have a pile of 10 now) and exercise. I packed my wetsuit just in case the water is not too hot and the jellyfish are out.

One bright note is that I did book a vacation for next summer. This will interfere somewhat with my training plans for Auburn LCM Nationals in 2011, but I should have a good month to re-train and re-boot. My focus meet for 2010 will be a SCM meet in December, either CZ or NE Champs.

I'm sure most of you have read the USMS Swimmer magazine. I tried and reported on 3 of the new tech suit substitutes. To my chagrin, I liked the Speedo LZR Elite best. (This will make JimRude slightly nauseous, I know.) So that is the suit I plan to wear at LCM Zones on Aug. 21-22 with 2 back ups.

And, its official, my GMUP team has been restored and it's in writing. The new deal is better in some respects and worse in others. The people like Speedo who used the 4:45 am spot will have to find other options, and I feel badly for them. But the Sprint Classic and Zones are on! I'm happy to train (albeit periodically and sporadically) in a great facility with a great coach. I love the new Friday open swim option. Training on your own at GMU is typically vastly easier than one of the local rec centers.

Article on Katie Hoff:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...medium=twitter

And this sucks on the GF front:

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...en-free-bread/.

I have not been doing well staying GF lately.

Updated July 31st, 2010 at 01:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
  3. Monday, July 26

by , July 26th, 2010 at 10:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 30 minutes

Commentary:

Failure of any real exercise. Just no time. I spent hours driving back from Pittsburgh (why is driving so very exhausting?!?!) while Mr. Fort stayed for some work. Then I hopped on the bike only briefly and had to run off to our last Monday night meet. Only one meet left on Saturday, Divisional Champs and then "I'm free, free at last." We're skipping All Stars this year for the beach.

And happily, it appears that the complaints and hubbub that ensued when the Aquatic Center abruptly and inexplicably terminated our masters program (and proposed a workout blog with a "life fitness" coach) have resulted in an about face. They have "re-hired" Cheryl after advertising the position. Our proposed new practice hours are slightly different (a late morning practice on Sat. after the pool officially opens at 10:30) and a Friday open make up day for weekends when the pool is closed for meets. The 4:45 am practices are still not on the schedule, but that too is under discussion. I know many are bummed about the Saturday practice, but I may actually attend it more, though it is distance free day. I could use it as distance kick day.

The whole incident was preposterous and political. What was really irksome is that one got the feeling the pool staff thought they were running a retirement community where everyone had to take what is offered ... The suggestion of a "life fitness" coach to a team with many competitors on a regional, national and international basis was just ludicrous. I'm at least glad that my kids will grow up not thinking that adults are virtual invalids.

I plan to go to bikram yoga and my evening practice tomorrow.

On other news, Mr. Fort is agitating to do the Reston century ride on Aug. 22 with his new bike. http://www.restonbikeclub.org/restoncentury/. This conflicts with Zones, but Fort Son is in charge of my youngest, which means that he will do nothing other than keep her alive.

Updated July 27th, 2010 at 10:05 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
  4. Friday, July 23

by , July 23rd, 2010 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Whew, as expected, I was bushed today. Just did a couple quickie easy workouts. Did a recovery swim at our summer league pool. At least I had a lane. I dislike swimming outside though. My eyes are very sensitive to light, and I refuse to do any backstroke.

Bike

30 minutes, aerobic mode

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

500 various

Main Sets:

6 x 100 free w/paddles

6 x 75, drill-kick-swim fly

8 x 50 evil w/fins

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2000 meters

Commentary:

It's official. I signed up for Zones today, all four 50s. I would have liked to get in a 100 back but, as Chris noted awhile ago, there is some fly-back discrimination going on and 100 back is too close to 50 fly. I seeded myself with my Pro times, as I doubt I'll be close to my B70/Jaked times with the new suits and without the same intensity and consistency of training. Jimby and Stud are visiting for Zones. And even Poolraat is considering coming.

The summer league season is winding down. We have our last Saturday A meet tomorrow. After the girls swim, I am heading to Pittsburgh for a high school grad party. Jimby and I have a date to swim at 4:30 on Sunday. I am slightly concerned that this involves an outdoor pool ...

I am leaving for the beach after Divisional Champs the following week, and am compiling my reading list. So far, I have:

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Stieg Larrson
    A Reliable Wife (which I'm half way through), Robert Goolrick
    Julian, Gore Vidal
    The Almost Moon, Alice Sebold
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery

Any other good suggestions? I also found this good list: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...37&sc=fb&cc=fp. And I've now heard that The Help and Under the Dome are good.

My red locks seems to have taken a beating this summer. They were a lovely bright ginger in the Baltic. I am now a strawberry blonde. my hair seems to want to revert to a lighter color. But I battle on ...

Here are some final shots from Stockholm. Pics are the a street in Stockholm (with the beautiful variety of color and styles and roof lines), the Nobel Museum, The Nordic Museum and a couple shots from a canal cruise.

Updated July 23rd, 2010 at 09:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Spinning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020668.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	6454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020667.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	6455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020685.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	6456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020687.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	6457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020690.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	6458  

5. Unfriendly Waters, Wed., July 21

by , July 22nd, 2010 at 10:14 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

As predicted, the only time I had to swim yesterday was during camp-zoo-noodle time. Because I had been out of the water, I did venture to the pool, albeit with much trepidation. At first, the screaming kids were huddled down in the "beach" end of the pool away from the lap lanes. Then they descended on us, taking over 4 lanes and the diving area and removing all the backstroke flags. I had to move out of my favored lane in the deep end. There was one man who appeared to be aqua jogging with fist gloves. I couldn't tell what he was actually trying to accomplish ... But he was gesticulating wildly to displaced swimmers, telling them not to go in his lane. One lane was occupied by a noodler almost as wide as the lane. Another lap swimmer whose lane I tried to join wouldn't stop when I tried to get his attention to share. I find this behavior infuriating and just leapt into the lane in a splashy way. During my warm up, kids came by and helped themselves to my kid board and monofin. WTH?! I wish the life guards would monitor this sort of behavior. A monofin is not a toy. The pool was appalling loud, which has to be one of the most unpleasant ways to work out. I changed my planned workout, and just got through a quick hour or so and left.

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 100
    odds = pull, smooth, @ 1:30
    evens - kick fast @ 1:45

50 EZ

24 x 50, done as:

6 x 50, 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ
    6 x 50, 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ
    6 x 50, russian breast drill
    6 x 50, double shooters on belly

100 EZ

Total: 3050

Bike, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say, I am praying for no thunder so that I can go to a real pool tonight. And I will hit the gym today as well. I'm finding it difficult to get into a good routine this summer.

Interesting article on youth sports:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s+travel+teams
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Spinning
  6. Vexed, Tuesday, July 20

by , July 20th, 2010 at 10:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike:

60 minutes aerobic

Commentary:

I am vexed. I was forced to take 2 days off entirely and 3 days off swimming due to a variety of circumstances. And collectively, they probably amount to a pile of excuses. (But Mr. Fort going to the emergency room again for another bike accident was not pleasant and he is seriously banged up.) I was all set to head to GMU for practice tonight, but the forecast was for thunderstorms and it appeared about ready to burst any minute. I didn't want to do a hour+ drive for nothing, so I did an hour on my bike instead. Big mistake! The storms never came. The only time I can swim tomorrow, with my kids' schedules, is during the psycho camp time. Hmm ... I am, unfortunately, not as happy in my semi-enforced laziness as Patrick and Elise. I wish I could get into a solid routine.

I usually love summer, but the oppressive weather is putting a major damper on my spirits. I had to engage in retail therapy today to counteract this issue, if even in a very short lived way.

I got my USMS Swimmer mag today. Any news?

Off to watch the end of the TdF.

Meat loves beware: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38329749/ns/health/

Updated July 21st, 2010 at 10:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
  7. Friday, July 16

by , July 16th, 2010 at 06:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 60 minutes:

It was much much to hot to go outside today except to hop in a pool. This summer just seems insanely hot and humid. So I rode my indoor cycle while reading The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Drylands, 50 minutes:

Went to the gym with Mini Fort this afternoon and did the following:

chest passes w/med ball, 20
    (Mini yelled at me to keep my thumbs up so it would mimic the lunge in evil)
    tricep passes w/med ball, 20
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    goblet squat, 60 x 2 x 15
    squat X press, 40 x 2 x 15
    one footed push ups, 2 x 25
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    deadlift, 80 x 2 x 10
    (haven't done this in many months)
    leg press, 330 x 2 x 10

regular RC exercises

I was tempted to go to hot yoga tonight -- I haven't had a stretch in eons -- but it simply too appalling hot to go get even hotter.

Commentary:

I still felt pretty energetic today after my double yesterday. My shins can feel the drylands though. I'm going to try to sneak in a swim during the day tomorrow, and do some slow swimming and hypoxic work. I have to get up at the crack of dawn for a SL meet to go watch my short axis girls. I will have to indulge in Geek's metric ton of coffee to pull this rare feat off. Sunday I hope to get to my LC practice and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Fort Son who is rowing in the finals (seeded 6th) on Sunday am. Oddly, the son of my former "secret nemesis" will be rowing on Sunday as well (but as a heavyweight). Small world.

FYI, I ran across this video on core stretching on FB. I haven't watched it yet, but will.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Dx4sf...stretching/r:f

Today's photos are from Stockholm. The old town, Gamla Stan, with its tiny alleys and cobblestone streets was amazing to walk around. The first photo is the square of the Parliament building, the second is 14th century Riddarholm Church where many of the Swedish monarchs are buried. The interior, which you cannot take pictures of, was decorated with hundreds of elaborately carved coats of arms. Lil Fort was creeped out by walking over dead people. lol

Updated July 16th, 2010 at 09:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Name:	P1020638.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	6442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020641.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	6443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020647.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	6444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020648.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	6445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020653.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	6446  

8. Friday, July 16

by , July 16th, 2010 at 06:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 60 minutes:

It was much much to hot to go outside today except to hop in a pool. This summer just seems insanely hot and humid. So I rode my indoor cycle while reading The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Drylands:

Went to the gym with Mini Fort this afternoon and did the following:

chest passes w/med ball, 20
    (Mini yelled at me to keep my thumbs up so it would mimic the lunge in evil)
    tricep passes w/med ball, 20
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    goblet squat, 60 x 2 x 15
    squat X press, 40 x 2 x 15
    one foot push ups, 2 x 25
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    deadlift, 80 x 2 x 10
    (haven't done this in many months)
    leg press, 330 x 2 x 10

regular RC exercises

I was tempted to go to hot yoga tonight -- I haven't had a stretch in eons -- but it simply too appalling hot to go get even hotter.

Commentary:

I still felt pretty energetic today after my double yesterday. I'm going to try to sneak in a swim during the day tomorrow, and do some slow swimming and hypoxic work. I have to get up at the crack of dawn for a SL meet to go watch my short axis girls. I will have to indulge in Geek's metric ton of coffee to pull this rare feat off. Sunday I hope to get to my LC practice and I will be keeping my finger's crossed for Fort Son who is rowing in the finals on Sunday am.

FYI, I ran across this video on core stretching on FB. I haven't watched it yet, but will.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Dx4sf...stretching/r:f

Today's photos are from Stockholm.
  9. Wed., July 15

by , July 15th, 2010 at 11:23 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Forgot to blog last night. Was having dinner with my BFF (and skipping out on a SL relay meet). We were sipping a lovely sauvignon blanc from South Africa that I discovered on the cruise. Not much to report anyway. After Tuesday night, I wasn't feeling motivated to swim, so I hopped on the bike for 60 + 30 minutes in the afternoon. I felt rather Q-like. I'm hoping to sneak a quick gym workout in today and go to LC practice tonight at Mason. I will be really ticked if it thunders again ...

Here are 5 pics from St. Petersburg, Russia. One of the highlights of our 2 day stop there was an evening canal cruise. During the summer, it stays light until about 11:00 pm. They call this phenomenon the "white nights." The pics are of: (1) the Russian Museum, (2) Peter the Great's Museum of Curiosities, (3) the Winter Palace, built by Catherine the Great, (4) the Church of the Resurrection on the Spilled Blood (a czar was assassinated on its steps), and (5) shot of building on the evening canal cruise.

Here's where Fort Son is this week. As is typical for him, when I tried to call and text him asking for updates, I got "I'm sleeping."

USRowing: 2010 USRowing Club National Championships Begin Wednesday

USRowing's Notes
    2010 USRowing Club National Championships Begin WednesdayShare
    Tuesday at 6:40pm
    OAK RIDGE, Tenn. – USRowing, in conjunction with the Oak Ridge Rowing Association, will host the 2010 USRowing Club National Championships July 14-18 on Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

The regatta will feature 1,140 athletes representing more than 75 clubs in 23 states and three countries. Races will be contested in 70 events featuring junior, intermediate and senior classification rowing.

Last year, the overall points trophy went to Penn A.C. Rowing Association, with a total of 299.25 points. Penn A.C. also won the Sugar-Barnes trophy for overall men’s points, with 206.25 points. The Marion D. Ventura trophy for overall women’s points went to Community Rowing, Inc. with 191.5 points.

Competition begins Wednesday, July 14 at 9 a.m. with heats and semifinals. Finals in all events will be contested Saturday, July 17 and Sunday, July 18. Heat sheets and complete results are available atwww.racetrak.com.

Watch a live stream broadcast of finals on Saturday, July 17 from 1-5 p.m., and Sunday, July 18 from 9-1 p.m. on the Team USA Rowing Channel at http://rowing.teamusa.org/live. To purchase video clips after the event, visit www.usrowing.org.

USRowing is a nonprofit organization recognized by the United States Olympic Committee as the governing body for the sport of rowing in the United States. USRowing’s Official Suppliers are Boathouse Sports, Filippi, Croker Oars and Rudy Project; its Official Patron is Concept2; its Official Electronics Outfitter is Nielsen Kellerman; and its Official Timer is Powerhouse Timing. USRowing also receives generous support from the National Rowing Foundation. For more information, visit www.usrowing.org.

Updated July 15th, 2010 at 11:35 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning

Name:	P1020457.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	6432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020458.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	6433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020460.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	6434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020474.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	6435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020488.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	6436  

10. Monday, July 12

by , July 12th, 2010 at 09:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike

I was up late last night and woke up extremely groggy. I decided to hop on the bike for 30 minutes to attempt to wake up (after coffee of course). It seemed to work fairly well. (I tried this tactic on vacation once, but had to abort the effort. lol)

Drylands (at home):

long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    scissors, 2 x 50
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    elevated push ups, 2 x 15
    med ball slams, 2 x 15
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 15
    rock star plyo, 1 x 10
    arm circles, 4 x 50

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I stole a couple sets from a Laurel workout from Tall Paul's workout thread again:

Warm up:

700 various

Kick-Swim:

5 x 200 w/fins @ 3:00

#1 = 200 swim
    #2 = 50 kick/150 swim
    #3 = 100 kick/100 swim
    #4 = 150 kick/50 swim
    #5 = 200 kick

swims = backstroke; kick = backstroke kick
    descended them to 2:20, nothing too fast

50 EZ

Main Set:

1 x 300 pull @ 4:30
    4 x 100 russian breaststroke @ 2:00
    1 x 200 pull @ 3:00
    6 x 75 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    1 x 100 pull @ 1:30
    8 x 50:
    odds = scull @ 1:15
    evens = dolphin kick @ 1:00

50 EZ

Total: 3600

Commentary:

Still waiting to feel good in the water ... The only thing that feels good at the moment is kicking, breast and free w/paddles. Backstroke feels ghastly, and that's usually my easiest stroke. I guess it's only been my 4th swim since returning from vacation. Hoping to go to LC practice tomorrow night.

On the masters team front, our team captain is meeting with the staff from the Aquatic Center, but I am not optimistic. I still think it's short sighted to can such a successful masters team. If GMU terminates the team in its current form, I will ask the Little Devil to switch me to unattached status for the time being. Although I guess I haven't competed for GMUP since Nats, so my 60 day period (or is it 90?) prior to joining another team (I think that's the rule) will expire soon.

I thought our Monday night SL meet would be cancelled due to thunder & lightening, but we managed to squeeze it in. It was an intra-squad boys v. girls meet, which is always fun and good for trash talking and cheers. I had a rare night off from DQ-ing kids. And Lil Fort was happy because, despite missing 1/3 of the swim season, she had two PBs. That's how points are totaled -- most PBs. "Girls rule, boys drool!"

I said goodbye to FortSon for a week; he's heading to TN for rowing Nats. Mr. Fort is gone for work as well, so it's just me and the girls this week. I think I will be very lazy on the cooking front.

My sister, who is quite athletic, went on a cool vacation in Coronado CA this summer -- http://www.getawayfitness.com/programs.html. An am jog and yoga on the beach ... I might wake up for that.

Continuing with my travel pics, I've attached 5 pics from Rostock Germany, which is Germany's largest Baltic port. The church (pics 1, 4, 5) is St. Mary's Cathedral, a gothic cathedral from the 13th century. The other building is the town hall with a splashy baroque facade. And the street is a main street off Market Square.

Updated July 12th, 2010 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Name:	P1020380.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	6427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020398.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	6428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020404.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	6429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020407.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	6430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020409.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	6431  

11. More Drylands, June 15

by , June 15th, 2010 at 06:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Hit the raquetball court first and did:

5-7 minutes of med ball slamming
    5 x 100 jump rope hops
    5-7 minutes of med ball slamming
    5 x 100 jump rope hops
    5-7 minutes of med ball slamming.

With the med ball, I did standing slams, forward slams, standing twisting slams and twisting slams against the walls ala the RA med ball game.

Other Core:

back extensions w/10 lb plate, 2 x 15
    flutter kick on bosu, 2 x 50 (this is a really good core exercise; going to add ankle weights next time -- if I can find mine)
    plank with feet on yoga ball, 2 x 1:00
    wall sit against bosu w/med ball on lap, 2 x 1:00 (Water Rat, if you're reading, try your wall sits this way. It's harder!)
    box jumps, 1 x 10
    altitude drops, 1 x 10
    elevated push ups, 2 x 15
    skull crushers, 40 x 2 x 15

RC:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 1 x 15, each side
    ball on wall, 1 x 50
    arm circles, 2 x 50 each way

10 minutes stretching

20 minutes on bike

Commentary:

I am in sad jump roping shape ... My legs felt pretty dead on the first set, but I persevered and it got a bit easier. Med ball slams rock.

I'm still lacking some energy from the detox. Just had an exciting dinner of asparagus and pear before I cook the fam food I can't eat. The caffeine withdrawal is still proceeding better than expected. I miss salmon, steak and chard the most. Potato chips too, of course.

Not sure if I'll make it to the pool tomorrow, as I have to fuss with my hair. I love being a "ginger," but it is a fair bit of maintenance. Plus, I keep tinkering with the color somewhat.

I can't believe it's mid June already ...

Managed to do some shopping without Q ...

Updated June 15th, 2010 at 07:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  12. Masters PR Ends

by , June 7th, 2010 at 02:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run + Bike:

The viral malaise, which still lingers, caused me to set a masters sloth PR for most consecutive days with no exercise. I would probably have pushed it sooner, but I decided to stick with my 2 weeks of prescribed recovery. It helped that I was ridiculously busy last weekend, attending among other things Speedo's 80s themed 40th birthday party! Definitely had some blog withdrawal!

Because the temps fell below 90, I decided it was time for the "post meet run." This used to be a tradition, but I consulted my FB Run Logger and I see that I haven't run since Jan. 23. Egads! In any event, I muddled through my usual 5 mile loop with some walking during water breaks and on an up. Then I came home and hit the indoor bike for 30 minutes. I plan on venturing to the pool tomorrow for some pre-vacation swimming. Note: I am definitely in need of new running shoes, as my shoes have been battered by my gym workouts.

Meet/OW Schedule:

I was muddling over my tentative meet schedule for the next year or so. Coach Cheryl told me that Zones was going to be earlier this year, so I'm worried it will conflict with the Boston Marathon on April 18. If so, I will either need another taper meet or bag tapering for SCY. I will be FINA 50 next year, so meters is definitely more appealing at the moment. Of course, if our ED prevails in re-visiting tech suits for SCY (besides for the boys who want their short johns), I may have to reassess.

Since I just took 2 weeks off and am taking 4 weeks of vacation this summer, I'm definitely de-emphasizing LCM meets this season and don't care much about my times. This is quite fine, as I'm been feeling a bit meeted out from short course and want to do things that are not purely sprint focused. (No, this does not mean I'll be swimming the 1000 free at Zones ... or even the 200.) Still wondering about the advisability of 2 OW swims, but I apparently need to do this to ensure marital bliss ... I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit, , as will basically everyone in these events. I've also heard that B70 is coming out with "something special" for OW.

So far, I'm thinking:

Aug. 21-22: LCM Zones at UMD

Sept. 19: Savageman 1/2 Iron Triathlon (relay)

Oct. 24: GMUP Sprint Classic (SCY)

Nov. 13: Beach 2 Battlefield Ironman Triathlon (relay -- seriously that race better have one heck of a current ...)

Early-mid Dec.: NE SCM Champs in Boston or CZ Champs if it's at Rutgers this year. Does anyone know yet?

March: Albatross SCM Meet (not sure when this is yet)

March or April: If I taper for SCY and depending on the actual dates, either NE SCY Champs or Colonies Zones. Not sure I can do both the Albatross meet and the NE meet though ... depends on dates. No back to back meets for me.

July: Some LCM meet hopefully. May have to do a kid meet if there are no local meets.

Aug: LCM Nats at Auburn.

My taper focus will likely be Dec. 2009 for SCM and August 2010 for LCM, though I'll probably rest some for whatever meet I do in March-April.

Any other good meet ideas?

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 03:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Spinning
  13. Wed., Jan 27

by , January 27th, 2010 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

My legs were a bit sore from yoga, so I decided to focus primarily on the arms and core:

med ball slams & twist, about 18 minutes in racquetball court (I was watching a Muscle Up class across the hallway and thinking my workout was much better than theirs!)

power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
    body rows, 3 x 15
    elevated push ups, 4 x 15 (2 spiderman,* 2 regular)
    hip hinges, 30 x 1 x 15
    one legged squats w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 15, each leg
    side bends on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 15, each side
    Icarian incline lever row, 80 (?) x 2 x 15
    kneeling ab crunches on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 60 x 2 x 10 (hard)

RC: 1 set of external and internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, scapular wall slides, and 3 position arm extensions.

* http://askthetrainer.com/feet-elevat...n-pushups.html -- very hard!

After this, I munched on a Raw Revolution food bar and banana. Then I headed over to the pool with a Geekity speed workout in hand. But, to my dismay and annoyance, I forgot my suit. I didn't have time to retrieve it, so headed home to do ....

Spin:

45 minutes on stationary bike while watching MadMen. Even that couldn't eliminate the boredom of this exercise. No idea how Q did 3+ hours.

P90X Yoga:

To get my stretching in for the day, I did the last 35 minutes of the P90X yoga DVD. It was mostly seated stretching and core work.

Commentary:

I was bummed about forgetting my suit. I don't like to go 2 days in a row without swimming. I had a good workout planned that I'll probably do on Friday now.

Got the Speedo Eilte LZR Pro (for my dau) in the mail today. It looks just like the Pro except it has no seams like the Jaked. And, speaking of the Jaked, mine has mysteriously gone missing. If I can't find it, my temper will match my hair.

TRX:

Anyone done any TRX? http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/. FlyQueen was telling me about it over dinner last week. She said Christine Magnuson is a huge fan. It looks like another clever way of doing bodyweight exercises.

GU:

This new flavor looks promising for meets and 2x caffeine. http://store.guenergy.com/Jet_Blackb...blackberry.htm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAZZY!

Updated January 27th, 2010 at 09:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Yoga
  14. Friday, Jan. 22

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 03:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spin

Did 30 minutes on the bike today. Nothing to rival Q, but slightly more than Speedo. :-P This was mostly warm up and to get some aerobic work in.

Drylands:

oblique V ups, 4 x 25
    alternating hammers, 15 x 2 x 30
    squat X press w/ 15 lb DBs, 1 x 25 (forgot second set)
    standing single arm push on double cable machine, 30 x 2 x 10, each arm
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 20
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15, each arm
    Icarian incline level row, 2 x 15*
    broad jumps, 1 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    CF jumping push ups w/12 inch bench, 5 x 15 consecutive (this really gets the heart rate up)

Tabata jump rope
    (8 rounds, 20 seconds @ 100%, 10 seconds rest)
    I did about 50 jumps very 20 seconds.

* I couldn't tell how much I was lifting b/c there was no weight printed on the lever part. Here's the machine: http://www.precor.com/images/equipment/315/pl311_1.png. I liked this machine --- pulling without the overhead motion involved.

RC:

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    tricep kickbacks, 7.5 x 2 x 15, each arm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I spent about 1.5 hours in the gym, and felt like I got in a solid workout. I had planned to do yoga later today, but my plans were thwarted by a gaggle of high school girls and the need to drive them about. I'm officiating at the meet tonight, so I'm hoping to get in yoga tomorrow am. Mini Fort says she will join me (if she doesn't sleep until noon).

I'm very excited about the suit ruling for SCY, as anyone would expect. I'm anxious to get an "apples to apples" comparison of my times while altering my training regimen. I'm not doing heavy lifting this season; I can tell I've lost some raw strength already. But perhaps I'm compensating with an even stronger core and more plyos.

One interesting note wrt Geek's comment yesterday. Mr. Fort was reading Joe Friel's The Cyclists' Training Bible last night. Friel stated that one of the most common mistakes endurance athletes make is to solider on with a planned hard workout rather than listening to their body and resting when/if necessary. That thought made me glad I revised my workout yesterday!

Updated January 23rd, 2010 at 04:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  15. Sunday, Dec. 20

by , December 20th, 2009 at 04:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

Had a blizzard; completely snowed in. No working out. Instead, I had a marathon baking and wrapping session with a nice warm fire going all day. We watched The Hangover later -- pretty funny.

Sunday:

After shoveling out, and having some main roads plowed, my son and I ventured to the gym. This was his first real time driving in snowy/slushy/icey conditions, but he did a good job for a rookie and I didn't freak out. lol. Having grown up in MN, I can't stand the way people drive here in the snow.

Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    iron monkeys w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    russian twist on incline bench, w/25 lb plate, 3 x 25
    hanging reverse crunch, 2 x 15

rack chins, 2 x 15
    body rows, 2 x 15
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 3 x 15
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 15
    P90X squat X press, 15 DBs x 2 x 25
    overhead squat w/bar, 2 x 10 (felt tired on these and had trouble getting low enough)
    deadlift, 115 x 1 x 3, 135, x 1 x 3, 145 x 2 x 3 (felt weak on these too)
    single arm standing lat pulldown, 50 x 2 x 15, each arm
    snatch and windmill, 20 x 2 x 10, each arm*

lateral box jumps over bench with hands on bench -- tabata style, 5 rounds, 20 seconds fast, 10 seconds rest.**

* = [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG8W10bu9M&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- 135Lb windmill for reps[/ame]
    (This is a difficult exercise, but one I think really helps with core, strength, balance and stability. I like this one and will keep it.)

** This was a b*tch. I'm going to approach the tabata training slowly, trying different exercises. I'm somewhat amazed that Crazyman can keep this up with different combos of exercises for 45 minutes. (Not sure exactly how much rest he was getting between exercises.)

RC work:

scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    prone scapular scruches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

Bike:

Did a rather pokey 30 minutes on my bike while watching football.

Commentary:

I have definitely lost some raw strength and strength endurance after my 3 week taper. I guess this will come back gradually. I need to get out my power wheel again as well.

I'd like to get to the pool this week. My gym pool was closed today -- I'm sure the snow damaged the bubble. I wouldn't be surprised if school was cancelled the next couple days. Many side roads are a huge mess still. (edit: school is cancelled the entire week.)

On the upside, I got to sleep in late, which is always fantastic. :bed

SCY to SCM Conversions:

Just of curiosity, I converted a few of my SCY times to SCM using the Great Bay Masters converter to see how I fared:

http://www.greatbaymasters.org/convert.html

27.9 SCY 50 back = 31.8 SCM
    (I went 31.1)

27.0 SCY 50 fly = 29.95
    (I went 29.69)

1:02.8 SCY 100 back = 1:11.7
    (I went 1:09.5)

1:01.3 SCY 100 fly = 1:08.8
    (I was slower at 1:09.8, but I didn't swim it tapered unlike my SCY 100 fly)

24.90 SCY 50 free = 28.17
    (I went 28.2 w/crap turn)

100 IM SCY 1:04.11 = 1:12.2
    (I went 1:11.5)

Given this, and assuming same suits, I should be due for some minor improvements in SCY. But without high tech suits, who knows?

By way of comparison, I saw that KPN swam a 1:01 100 SCY fly (USA suit) a week after swimming a 1:03.9 WR (rubber suit) in SCM. Maybe she was just tired from back to back meets, but this is a lot of variation for a skinny chick.

Updated December 20th, 2009 at 06:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  16. Dryland Mania, Tuesday, Oct. 13

by , October 13th, 2009 at 03:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

My upper back was still sore from my Monday workout, so I decided to do mostly plyos, bodyweight work and some core work.

bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
    hanging reverse crunches w/10 lb weight at feet, 3 x 10

front lunges w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 15
    alternating side lunges, 3 x 25
    chins ups, 2 x 10
    rack chins/pulls, 3 x 15
    squats w/overhead shoulder press w/25 lb DBs, 3 x 10 (much harder when you're not pressing fast and using some momentum from the squat)

knee tuck jumps, 3 x 10
    box jacks w/med ball, 3 x 15
    clap push ups, 3 x 10

prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    internal and external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15 each side
    3 position arm extentsions, 3 x 2 x 15

10 minutes of stretching

Aerobic Work:

My usual pool was closed b/c of yet another kid accident. My gym pool is closed while they clean and put the bubble up. So, I did 20 minutes on the ellipse and 20 minutes on the bike.

Commentary:

We'll see how the shoulders hold out after the clap push ups. I put my hands on a mat to sort of cushion the load.

I really prefer rack chins to pull ups. They hurt my wrists less. Jazz and I were speculating that this is perhaps due to it being more of an isolation exercise with not as much of the lower body involved.

Q and I were discussing overhead squats on the thread from my Sunday workout. I'm thinking of adding them, as they are a compound exercise that really hits the core.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/08/...y-greg-gla.tpl

This article says you shouldn't start with the bar, but I was thinking I am sufficiently strong/flexible enough to try the bar?

Definitely hitting the pool tomorrow!

Saw the most recent clip of Natalie Coughlin on FB from Dancing with the Stars:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9atC0z1kc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Week 4 - Natalie Coughlin - Dancing With The Stars[/ame]

Like the mermaid-like costume! She looks in fantastic shape from all the running she's been doing.

I also saw that Brendan Hansen started a blog today:

http://puresportblog.com/

Updated October 13th, 2009 at 04:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Ellipse Machine
  17. Tuesday, Sept. 22

by , September 22nd, 2009 at 10:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still feeling pretty flattened today from the race, sleep deprivation, traveling etc. Just hopped on the bike for 30 minutes and stretched a bit. Really lazy for me. Will go to the pool tomorrow afternoon. Hope most of the kinks are worked out by Saturday for the Fall Ball. This will be the first time I've swum in races on back to back weekends. I'm working on shortening my "refractory period."
    Categories
    Spinning
  18. Wednesday, Sept. 2

by , September 2nd, 2009 at 04:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It's a beautiful sunny day in the 70s here, so it was time for a run even though my running legs have utterly vanished from disuse. Went on a slow 5 mile zen trail run. Walked some on the up on mile 4. Took a water break and, as Pete would say, a nature break along the way. It was lovely.

I'm going to hop on my bike shortly for a quick 30 minute spin before heading off to fall kickoff night at our high school where my two oldest will get their schedules.

Here's another article for P & Q. Jazz can critique.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32632923/ns/health-fitness/
    Categories
    Running , Spinning
  19. Blech! Saturday, Aug. 29

by , August 29th, 2009 at 07:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It's been a rough few days. When I continued to feel ill at the beach, I called my doctor. He believes I have gastritis. I've never had that before, it's horrible! Not sure how I got it -- could be an underlying infection, contaminated ocean water, etc. I don't think one margarita constitutes overindulgence, so that's not it.

Took the day off yesterday. Had to drive home from the beach anyway. Finally slept through the night last night. Did an easy 40 spin on my bike. That's all I could do without feeling nauseous. I feel somewhat better today. Hoping I can get back in the pool tomorrow. It's not been a very productive last 10 days or so, that's for sure. But crap happens.
    Categories
    Spinning
  20. Wed., Aug. 19

by , August 19th, 2009 at 09:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    45 minute spin:

Only had time for a 45 minute spin on my indoor cycle today. I had planned a run, but my usual desire to run seems somehow to have deserted me. It's just too hot and my allergies are acting up.

Spent a bit of time writing a very brief piece on the benefits of weight lifting for a new USMS Swimmer feature called "Both Sides of the Lane Line." I'm now waiting to see if my worthy (he would say superior) opponent in this endeavor will, as usual, put lipstick on a pig.

Updated August 19th, 2009 at 09:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast