View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Wed. & Thur., Aug. 22-23

by , August 23rd, 2012 at 05:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Wednesday:

Drove to pool and it was closed for two weeks. Did not have enough time to drive to Oak Marr to swim before dr. appt. After doing some research on elbows and coritsone and acupuncture, I decided to forego another cortisone shot (I can deal with the short term pain) and try acupuncture instead. Here is a sample summary on acupuncture for tennis elbow:

ACUPUNCTURE:
    A consensus statement from the National Institutes of Health states that study results are promising enough to consider acupuncture as an appropriate option for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis.24 However, conflicting evidence exists, and recommendations for or against this therapy cannot be made. Two systematic reviews and one meta-analysis found that acupuncture leads to short-term (three days to two months) pain reduction.15,20,25 Two additional systematic reviews acknowledge that acupuncture might provide short-term benefit, but they conclude that there is insufficient evidence on the use of acupuncture for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis.7,26

The doc prescribed the nitro patches again and I will use those for at least 12 weeks. The theory is that they dialate the blood vessels allowing blood to get to the injured tendon more easily and increase fibroblastic activity. Bracing for a few days of headaches, which will hopefully be short-lived as they were last time.

Went to bikram yoga at 6:00 pm. One of the most packed classes I've ever been in. I thought August was a huge vacation month here? Saw a fellow swimmer from Reston Masters. Unfortunately, I had one of the heat nazi instructors. Between that and the crowds, the last 20 minutes were excruciating. I wish the shorter Vinyassa classes were at better times for me.

Thursday:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10

Main Sets:

16 x 50 rotating IMs @ :50-1:00
    50 EZ

20 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    -- I slightly modified a kick set from Workout #3 from my HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21245"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

4 x (5 x 50 kick) w/fins @ 1:00
    1 = fast @ 100 pace
    2 = EZ
    3 = 25 UW + 25 EZ
    4 = 25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    5 = EZ

Round 1 & 2, SDK on back = 22 double shooter, 9 AFAP 25
    Round 3 = dolphin kick w/board, 26 high, 11
    Round 4 = flutter kick w/board, 26 high, 11

6 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 3150

Acupuncture, 40 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was pretty beat in the water after bikram last night. Still, I felt like I got a decent kick set in. Tomorrow, I'm meeting up with MB Speedo. I'm glad he hasn't decided to change sports completely ... at least yet.

I missed the entry deadline for the MD Senior Olympics on Sept. 9 while I was on vaca, and don't feel inclined to pay a $60 late registration fee. Jimby is coming down Sept. 8 to swim in a MD Swim Series LCM meet in Baltimore at a decent pool. It's outside, but perhaps I'll accompany him and do a couple 50s for a sprint workout. It just starts very very early ... http://www.usms.org/comp/event.php?M...0120909NBACLCL

Looking forward to my girls going back to school after Labor Day. I find it hard to focus on workouts during the summer.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  2. Monday, August 20

by , August 20th, 2012 at 11:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 back shooters w/fins @ :40
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:05
    5 x 50 up tempo free @ :50
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise, dolphin kick @ 1:00
    50 EZ

4 x (50 AFAP + 150 EZ) @ 5:00
    Fly, 23 high
    Flutter kick w/board, 25
    Double shooter, 21
    Dolphin kick w/board, 25

100 EZ

Total: 2550

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was out of the water for 3 days for various reasons. Felt pretty dreadful in the water today, not helped along by the lack of sleep from elbow pain. And even streamlining and turning bothered it in the water. I have a dr. appt on Wed. I may try the cortisone shot + nitro patches again if the dr thinks that's a good option. In retrospect, I think I should have kept the patches on longer last time I tried them. If those don't work, I'll try PRP. I'm worried there's some tendon damage anyway, the way the elbows flared up again so quickly. I obviously won't be doing any upper body drylands for a very long time again. Much to my chagrin, I think I may have to eliminate deadlifts from any future regimen. My double jointed elbows don't seem to like being locked out holding weight. When I do start again, I'm not sure what to do. Should I literally start from ground zero and increase weight very very very slowly and methodically? Avoid certain exercises for good? I need to do some research and re-start the rehab exercises now that I'm home.

According to my flog, I've been very lazy in August. Still ahead of my "goal" though. .

I can't believe the summer is lost over ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Aug. 14-16

by , August 16th, 2012 at 06:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Tuesday:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

MF Sets:

16 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    -- 8 back, 8 belly
    10 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ :45-1:00
    10 x 100 dolphin kick @ 1:30
    -- 1:00 break after 5 to keep tempo up
    100 EZ

Total: 2800

-- 4 miles of walking on the beach

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wednesday:

-- 3-4 miles walking on beach

Thursday:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    -- 8 belly, 8 back
    4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:05
    50 EZ

Speed sets:

5 x 50 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 1:00
    -- descend to fast
    -- 34, 31, 29, 28, 27
    100 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:00
    -- 25 fly @ 100 pace + 25 EZ
    50 EZ

20 x 50 burst + cruise
    -- dolphin kick
    100 EZ

Total: 3000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lessons learned on vaca so far:

1. Salt water is far worse than chlorine if you have leaky goggles. Dry eye ensues.

2. You must spray and rub sunscreen copiously or you will get odd red spots.

3. It's not ideal to sit on the beach and body surf for 5 hours before your workouts.

4. People with elbow problems should not have a memory lapse and pick up heavy suitcases. I made my elbow worse and can't sleep well at night bc it wakes me up.

5. Never run our of tequila.

6. Don't forget to bring your hand weights on vaca or forget rehab exercises.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Monday, Aug. 13

by , August 13th, 2012 at 10:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1.7 mile jog + 1.7 mile IG ocean swim

2 mile walk on the beach later

The tide was out when I meandered to the beach around 10:00 am, so I decided on an ocean swim. I changed strokes and even did some backstroke kicking. But, still, open water is so boring. No idea how folks can do that or endless freestyle. I am looking forward to my short course walls! I got bumped down one notch in my LCM 100 back and 100 breast with all the meets this weekend. But overall my times held well for a sucky long course swimmer. A friend sent me a PDF to an article showing that elite swimmers take twice as many strokes in the 100 long course fly as short course fly. Definitely true for me. I did count my strokes on my 50 LCM back, and it was > twice as many as my 50 SCY back. I'm sure the same was true for my 50 LCM fly. No wonder I die at the end. I wonder, as I've heard some say, whether it might be better to slightly build long course 50s as opposed to an immediate drop dead sprint.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sat., August 11

by , August 11th, 2012 at 07:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    -- 8 back, 8 belly
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:05
    50 EZ

Main sets:

3 x through w/fins

300 kick ultra done as:
    12 x 25 @ :30, approx 18 yards fast & 7 cruise
    100 EZ
    5 x 50 stroke @ 150 ish pace
    100 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP
    100 EZ

Round 1:
    Ultras = flutter kick w/board
    50s fly, approx 28-29 ish
    AFAP fly, approx 24+, slipped on turn

Round 2:
    Ultras = dolphin kick w/board
    50s breast dolphin (3 strokes per 25), 33-34
    AFAP breast, 28ish

Round 3:
    Ultras = dolphin kick on back
    50s back, 27-28ish
    Skipped AFAP 50, no more AFAP left

16 x 25 w/parachute @ :45-1:00
    8 swim, 8 kick
    100 EZ

Total: 4350

The sun did not shine until mid afternoon here, so I took myself off to the Y. I was braced for crowds, but it was less crowded than yesterday. I think I even caught a glimpse of a couple masters swimmers as opposed to triathletes. The main set was fairly exhausting. There is only a trad pace clock, so times are only approximate.

My baby turns 20 today ... In shock. I'm just glad he seems so happy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Aug 7-10

by , August 10th, 2012 at 08:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Tuesday

Another 1.4 mile jog + 1.7 mile IG ocean swim

Wednesday

3 mile walk on beach + 20 minutes of yoga with my sister

Thursday

3 mile walk on beach

Friday

Finally dragged myself to the Y.

500 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    14 x 50
    Odds = single arm fly
    Evens = smooth backstroke
    50 EZ
    16 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) w /fins
    -- 8 on 2:00, 8 on 2:30
    Odds = kick
    Evens = swim (fly & free)
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Total: 3350

I am being a slug at the beach. Apart from taper, this is the most sluggish I remember being in a long while. Its an hour round trip to the Y, which does not appeal much on vacation. And the Y is crowded with triathletes. I figued I should do some one speed work while I was there to counter the IG ocean swims. It was too rough and windy to hit the ocean today anyway.

My elbow is no better despite the relative rest. I'll have to deal with it when I get home.

Back to sipping margaritas!

Updated August 10th, 2012 at 08:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Sun & Mon, Aug. 5-6

by , August 6th, 2012 at 09:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Sunday:

I'm at the beach in NC for 2 weeks. I'm not anticipating any very serious workouts, though I will try to get to the YMCA a few times. Today, I did the 1.7 mile pier to pier ocean swim. I jogged 1.5 miles to get to the pier with the current. Swam in late afternoon and it was really rough, got bounced all over the place. Swam a lot of breaststroke around surfers.

Monday:

Got thunder/lightening'd out of swimming in the early afternoon. Did 20 minutes of yoga with my sister and a lot of body surfing in the late afternoon.

I'm sad swimming is over. And horrified that I had to read about the results of the 10,000 meters, which weren't shown on prime time despite Galen Rupp's breakthrough silver medal.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Friday, Aug. 3

by , August 3rd, 2012 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters @ :40
    6 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10
    6 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

10 x 100 w/fins @ 1:45
    odds = IM
    evens = flutter kick w/board, 2nd 25 fast
    50 EZ

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 12:00
    -- 15 meters UW each length
    100 EZ

Total: 3350

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just an IG day for me. Sleep deprivation and getting ready for 2 weeks at the beach kept me from having the focus for HIT work.

Van der Burgh admits stretching dolphin kick rules by doing 3-4 kicks:
    http://swimnews.com/News/view/9690
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/46681477"]Cameron van der Burgh golfinhou na saída on Vimeo[/ame]

Should the 15 meter rule be abolished for the "free"style? (I vote yes.)
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Turd in Olympic pool: LOL!
    http://www.sportspickle.com/news/133...-floating-turd
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Thursday, August 2

by , August 2nd, 2012 at 06:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Sewickley Masters:

Warm up:

500 various w/Jimby before the team practice started

1 x 200 swim
    1 x 200 kick

Main Sets:

4 x 100 @ ?
    50 stroke + 50 free

3 x 200 @ 3:00
    -- did backstroke kick w/fins
    -- lot of traffic in lane

6 x 100 IM @ 1:50
    -- I was in fast lane with Water Rat and Jimby, but they were swimming on 1:30 and the 1:50 lane wasn't nearly as crowded

8 x 50 @ :55
    -- 4 fly/back, 4 breast/free

1 x 100 IM AFAP w/fins, :56

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Just did an aerobic workout except for the AFAP 100 IM at the end. That was fine after my speed effort on Wed. I am really not used to swimming with 5-6 in a lane. How does anyone do decent turns that way?! Though it was very nice to see my Pitt friends and have some company in the water and gossip in the steam room.

I drove home today, stuck in massive traffic getting into DC. I had planned on getting home earlier and hitting the gym before getting my Mom at the airport. But I came home to a broken AC and house like an oven. I can't believe I have to take more of this abuse this summer ... Stuck at home waiting for AC repairman. I just hope they can fix it. I will be sleeping down on the first floor again tonight, I fear.

I saw an Olympic spoiler that made me
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Tuesday, July 31

by , July 31st, 2012 at 09:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

16 x 25 shooters @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed sets:

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

1 x 50 fly w/fins AFAP, 23 low
    150 EZ

1 x 50 back kick AFAP, no fins from push, 31 high
    200 EZ

1 x 100 broken AFAP backstroke kick, no fins
    -- broken for :15 @ 50 & 75
    -- 1:04
    -- 32/16/16
    300 EZ

1 x broken AFAP dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- broken for :15 @ 50 & 75
    -- :49 -- 25/14/14
    300 EZ

8 x 25 w/fins & parachute
    -- 4 shooters @ 1:10
    -- 4 dolphin kick w/board
    100 EZ

Total: 2900

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I felt pretty beat after that. Maybe in tandem with yesterday's weights. Legs dead.

Drove to Pittsburgh after. I only had one spoiler on the way -- the fact that Phelps won his 19th medal. Since the radio host didn't specify which color, I'm worried he didn't win gold.

Just started watching synchronized diving. No idea why this should be a sport. Diving yes. Copycat diving no.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Sunday, July 29

by , July 29th, 2012 at 06:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 back shooters @ :40
    5 x 50 fly caterpillar drill @ 1:10

Main Sets:

1 x 50 AFAP breast dolphin w/fins
    -- 28 flat
    -- didn't bother elbow at the time
    150 EZ

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    -- hold under 1:05
    100 EZ

4 x 50 double shooter w/MF best average @ 1:30
    -- 20 high, 21 flat, 21 flat, 22 flat
    -- ran out of air on last one
    200 EZ

3 x through:
    4 x (25 fast kick + 25 EZ kick) @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ @ 2:00

round 1: flutter kick w/board & fins, high 11-12 flatish
    round 2: dolphin kick w/board & fins, high 11-12 flatish
    round 3: back kick, no fins @ 1:30, 14 high-15 flatish

150 EZ

8 x 25 various w/parachute @ 1:00
    100 EZ

Total: 3750

The pool was the usual weekend mosh pit. But I had half a lane and there were backstroke flags, so all was well. Did a kick focused workout.

Didn't work out yesterday, too busy. My girls had a good day. Lil Fort dropped 18 seconds in her 3000 at Nationals, running 11:39. And my rower Teen Fort, out of nowhere, dropped a :35 50 meter evil (no blocks) at Divisional Champs, handily making all stars. She finally listened to mommy and did her dolphin kick before the pulldown.

I am trying to decide whether to peek at the 400 free relay results. Thus far, I've only seen one Olympic spoiler on FB. I'm wondering whether Lochte can really throw down an anchor worthy 100 free sprint ... Hadn't really thought of him as a freestyle sprinter. And Grevers swam great in the prelims.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, July 27

by , July 27th, 2012 at 09:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC/scapula exercises
    Wide grip lat pulldown, 60 x 4 x 12
    Explosive leg press, 210 x 2 x 12
    Explosive single leg press, 110 x 1 x 12 each leg, 130 x 1 x 12 each leg
    Leg abductor, 110 x 3 x 8
    Rear delt fly, 60 x 1 x 12, 65 x 3 x 8
    Good mornings, 70 x 4 x 8*
    Power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    Total ab machine, 110 x 3 x 15
    Altitude drops, 10

* I started doing this exercise last January or so when I couldn't do upper body lifting. I think it's fabulous for SDKs.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

warm up:

550 various

10 x 50 various w/snorkel
    -- I'm hard pressed to think I could ever go fast in free with a snorkel.
    50 EZ

Main sets:

2 x 300 kick ultras done as:

12 x (20 fast + 5 EZ, flutter kick w/board & fins) @ :30
    50 EZ
    12 x (20 fast + 5 EZ, dolphin kick w/fins & snorkel) @ :30
    50 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00

16 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:00
    --mix of shooters, free, breast

100 EZ

Total: 2700

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Both the gym and pool were crowded today. This was unbelievable. I had to kick a woman off the leg press machine because she was sitting on it reading a book. I guess she does that between sets? After 5 minutes, I wasn't waiting any longer.

The pool was a disaster -- only 5 lanes, kiddy campers everywhere, slow mo elementary backstroke noodlers, and no backstroke flags. I threw out my planned workout and just did whatever I could manage. Parachutes seem like good bang for your buck in those circumstances. Mason is closed in August and SpringHill Rec is closed for 3 weeks after I get back from the beach (I'm gone Aug 4-18.). I hope Oak Marr is open, or it may be tough to swim.

Drove up to Baltimore later, ready to watch Lil Fort run the 3000 at Nationals tomorrow.
  13. Wed., July 25

by , July 25th, 2012 at 10:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Snorkel Sets:

5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    15 x 50 free @ 1:00
    8 x 50 chest press fly drill w/flip turn

50 EZ

Hypoxic MF Set:

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:10

50 EZ

Total: 2600

Yoga, Bikram, 90 minutes

Just did a recovery workout in the pool after yesterday's speed work. I had just received my pink Finis snorkel in the mail, so decided to give it a whirl. It felt pretty awkward. It's, uh, rather difficult to streamline with after you've flipped. Speedo told me to forget streamlining, but it's my nature to SDK off walls. Today, I was getting my arms tangled up with the snorkel, it was twisting sideways, etc. Can you really not streamline much with it or is this a learned art? I also didn't feel like I was getting much air, but that's probably bc I'm not breathing normally with it yet. Fortunately, no one I knew was there to laugh at my efforts.

After the swim, I went to bikram for the first time in 5-6 months. I was lucky not to have a heat nazi instructor, so the temp was 105 instead of 110. Helpful, but I still had some trouble with it, and was whooped by the end of class. Or maybe by the 2/3 mark actually. I was shocked that I was pretty good at the balancing poses. I also don't seem to have lost any flexibility without bikram. Doing selected poses/stretches on my own may be sufficient.
    It's certainly more time effective. 90 minutes + drive is a huge time investment. I'm going to get myself to the vinyasa "power hour" at lunch sometime. 60 minutes may suit better, though the noon start time isn't ideal if I'm trying to get in 2 workouts. I think it would be difficult to get in anything but a recovery swim after that leg intensive class.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  14. Tuesday, July 24

by , July 24th, 2012 at 08:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Monday:

Lil Fort wasn't feeling too great, so I was home with her. I think it was mostly from staying up way too late at a group sleepover. I've always hated kid sleepovers ... I did get in about 40 minutes of foam roller/stretching/RC exercises.

Tuesday:

Lil Fort magically better with a monster night's sleep. So I got in a double whilst she hung out with friends.

Drylands:

RC/scapula exercises
    squats, 180 x 4 x 8
    good mornings, 55 x 1 x 8, 65 x 3 x 8
    rear delt flys, 55 x 4 x 8
    wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 2 x 25
    resisted side lunges, 40 x 2 x 15
    resisted track start jumps, 40 x 1 x 12
    altitude drops, 2 x 5
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    captain's chair leg raises, 2 x 20

-- drove to pool --

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills @ :20 RI

Main Sets w/fins:

Did some of workout #1 from the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21076"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame].

4 x 50 smooth free @ :50
    1 x 50 flutter kick w/board
    1 x 100 backstroke kick @ 90%
    -- went :54
    2 x 50 EZ

4 x 50 smooth back @ 1:00
    1 x 50 flutter kick w/board
    1 x 100 IM, broken :15 @ 50, fast @ 90%
    -- went :56
    2 x 50 EZ
    masters minute

1 x 50 fly AFAP, :24
    -- spaced out and forgot to do the 4 x 50 smooth as recovery and really felt the IM. I was distracted by the amazing SDKs of an apparent college swimmer (who later threw down a 22 50 free from a push)
    -- was also starting to bonk b/c I only had a luna bar for lunch, but persisted. no gus in the darn bag.
    3 x 50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP shooter, :21
    3 x 50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP dolphin kick w/board, broken @ :25 for :10
    -- went :22
    3 x 50 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 2900

Still taking it fairly easy on the drylands weights wise. But I'm certain I'll feel sore the next couple days. Can't remember the last time I did squats ... Happily, the rear delt flys and (very) wide grip lat pulldowns at low weight did not bother my elbows.

My speed was definitely off in the pool. Some due to bonking and some due to not doing much speed work lately, I believe. No big deal, it's July with no meet in sight until October. Though I notice there is a senior olympics meet in MD at a decent pool in early Sept: http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm.

I should probably put on my compression gear tonight ...
  15. Sunday, July 22

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 11:53 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:15
    5 x 50 free @ :45
    50 EZ

Main Set: Monster Kick w/fins

8 x through:

1 x 100 up tempo backstroke kick @ 1:45
    1 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    1 x (25 fast dolphin kick w/board @ 90% + 25 EZ) @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ flutter kick

-- Went 1:01, 1:01, 1:00, 1:00, :59, :59, :59, :56 on the 100 kicks
    -- Went 11 high-12 flat on dolphin kick 25s
    -- The shooters weren't all that easy after the up tempo 100 kicks

100 EZ

Total: 3450

The pool wasn't too crowded for a weekend day. I got my own lane about halfway through the kick set. I'm still feeling pretty flattened from Saturday's dryland session, and it didn't even seem that hard. Re-commencing weights is always tough after an extended taper.

I've been religiously icing the elbow and it feels somewhat better.

HIT workouts are calorie torching:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...-burn-calories
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thursday, July 19

by , July 19th, 2012 at 07:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM @ Rockville w/Susan:

Warm up:

500 various

8 x 50
    odds = backstroke kick, 25 UW
    evens= drill

Main Sets:

5 x 100
    50 free + 50 back

10 x 50
    25 fast + 25 EZ
    -- 2 backstroke kick & 2 backstroke
    -- 6 dolphin kick w/board & fins
    100 EZ

3 x (6 x 50) w/fins
    1 = backstroke kick, 20-25 UW
    2 = fly drill, 15-20 UW
    3 = swim
    4 = backstroke kick, 20-25 UW
    5 = fly drill, 15-20 UW
    6 = swim @ 100 pace
    -- somehow, sprinter ADD, we did an extra 50

150 EZ

Total: 3100

stretching/yoga/foam roller/RC, 30 min

Beautiful day for an outdoor swim. The pool was slightly warmer than usual. We were told there is a broken part, which won't be replaced. Too bad. Cool water is so much more appealing.

We managed to work around most of the noodlers. But there was one woman kicking very slowly in our lane with a kick board. I ran into her while doing backstroke and she yelled at me out for "not looking where I'm going." Pretty ballsy I thought, since she joined our lane, saw we were doing lots of backstroke and had her entire head out of the water.

Almost wishing I was swimming at HP this weekend. Over 130 swimmers at the tank, many more than last week at UMBC. Hope it's not to hot for the swimmers.

Updated July 19th, 2012 at 07:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wed., July 18

by , July 18th, 2012 at 05:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 back shooters w/fins

IG:

4 x through:

50 free w/paddles @ 1:00
    100 IM @ 1:45
    50 EZ flutter kick w/board @ 1:00
    100 backstroke kick @ 1:45

50 EZ

Strength Set:

20 x 25 w/parachute, done as:

8 x 25 w/agility paddles @ 1:00
    odds = breast pull
    evens = free
    4 x 25 torque drill w/agility paddles
    4 x 25 flutter kick w/board
    4 x 25 breast pull

100 EZ

Total: 2700

Stretch/Yoga/RC, 30 minutes

I thought about going to Down Dog tonight, but my hamstrings are sore from yesterday's workouts. Decided not to overload them. Hopefully, the weather will be decent for my LCM swim with Susan tomorrow!

World record in 50 free set -- BiFin Champs
    http://swimswam.com/2012/07/switzerl...-world-record/.

I wish they had these competitions in the US.

Updated July 18th, 2012 at 09:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  18. Monday, July 16

by , July 16th, 2012 at 04:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo-MB:

Warm up:

When we arrived the pool was absolutely packed. Many noodlers in the lap lanes. So we warmed up in the diving well.

800-850 various for me, 1000 for Pete

Main Sets:

I let Speedo pick the sets. I'm weary from thinking up workouts. And I still need to post a couple more over in the HIT forum.

300 ultra kick
    12 x 25 @ :35
    15 fast, 10 cruise, approx :15 rest
    -- I did backstroke kick. Pete did flutter kick w/board. So we were about the same pace.

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 stroke kick + 25 stroke
    2 x IM order

5 x 200 @ 2:40
    Pete did free w/paddles
    I used fins and did 3 backstroke kick and 2 free
    Went 2:15, 2:19-20 on next 3 and 2:12 on last one (kick).

Yes, you read this right. I did this set without any quibbling whatsoever after Pete announced I would "hate him"!

Long chat break, which caused us to then cramp right away on the next set.

4 x through:
    50 stroke, IM order @ 200 pace @ 1:00
    100 free smooth @ 2:00

100 EZ

Total: 3200

I hadn't planned to swim today. But I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to swim with Speedo-MB. And it was likely a decent recovery type workout after the meet. Looking forward to yoga or the gym tomorrow!

It's very odd. The 3 weeks before Nationals after PRP my shoulder was really bothering me. During Nationals it was fine and it feels much better now. And I haven't done any RC exercises in 10 days.

Updated July 16th, 2012 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday, July 13

by , July 13th, 2012 at 07:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    10 x 50 free @ 1:00
    odds = agility paddles & fins
    evens = fins, flipping and staying on back
    -- last one @ 100 pace-ish
    -- smashed my heels on edge, ouch, :25
    6 x 50 back @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    1 x 25 AFAP back shooter w/fins, :9
    125 EZ
    4 x 25 breast pullouts
    50 EZ

Total: 2200

Z-Z-Z-Z-Z

Can't wait till my Sunday "workout" is over and I can move on to something else! Might just swim "on the inside" for awhile -- a new training concept invented by MB Speedo.

Summer league meet tomorrow am and then Jimby arrives and we can commence to over analyze his approach to his focus event, 100 free. I have my own goal, no personal worst, so we will ignore my event.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, July 12

by , July 12th, 2012 at 08:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 25 back shooters

5 x 100 smooth back, no SDK, w/agility paddles & fins @ 1:40
    50 EZ

4 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ

1 x 25 AFAP back kick, no SDK, :11
    75 EZ

1 x 50 breast dolphin @ 100 pace, :29
    150 EZ

100 scull
    4 x 25 breast pullouts

Total: 2100

It's that lovely time again when I am feeling fat and out of shape. I normally feel this way the last week of taper, but I was too preoccupied with the ongoing power outage. Now I feel doubly that way since I haven't really broken taper and started working out again. Can't wait. I think I will shift to 3x week maintenance swimming. Part of me wishes I could get in another long course meet in August. But I am really due for a mental break, so it's probably all for the best.

My Savageman relay buddies have been putting the full court press on me to do the half iron relay again. I am more than relieved to report that Teen Fort offered to do the swim leg. I was dreading the prospect of worrying about another asthama attack mid way. This is the only nice thing she's done for me in ... years maybe. lol She is basically my size, bit smaller, so can use my wetsuit.

My former training partner has refused to meet me at OakMarr this week. I am terribly worried we have lost him to mountain biking and bombshells.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts