http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20

by , January 20th, 2010 at 06:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 100
    oblique V ups, 2 x 25
    body rows, 3 x 15
    stacked feet push ups, 2 x 25
    lunge w/twist w/15 lb weight, 2 x 15
    hanging knee up & kick outs, 2 x 25
    elevated hip lifts/pulse ups, 2 x 25
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 15
    bench press w/bar, 60 x 2 x 15 (felt easy)
    lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 2 x 15
    box jumps, 2 x 10

RC:

scapular wall slides
    external and internal rotators
    prone scapular scrunches
    chops on yoga ball
    seated straight arm dip
    3 position arm extensions

Med Ball Fun:

I ventured to the racquetball courts today and ripped off this workout from Rich Abraham's post on the forum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XMqW0VPPE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- CORE BALL aka Medicine Ball Racquet Ball[/ame]

I did 20 minutes of it solo today; could definitely have done more, but ran out of time. I would take a 20 second break every once in awhile. I did double arm twisting med ball slams, single arms twisting slams, overhand and underhand slams, chest pass against wall, start plyos -- basically anything you could do with a med ball and 3 walls. It was love at first sight. (Despite breaking a fingernail.) Now, I need a partner to make it wicked fun. SwimShark has volunteered, so I may venture out to the Freedom Center to do this with her one day. Do you recall if there are racquetball courts at Oak Marr, Pete?

I wish I could do more cardio (didn't have time earlier), but my brood is back from skiiing. I hope to do Jim Corbeau's workout solo tomorrow am. Then I will carry on doing battle with my red tresses.

2010 Meets:

VMST David Gregg III Memorial Meet
    Richmond VA
    February 14
    http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/vmst0210.pdf.

I'm considering doing this VMST meet in Richmond instead of the Tropical Splash. It seems to have a better order of events for me. The 100s at the Splash are all at the crack of dawn and there is no electronic timing at that meet. Chris, if you're reading, is there electronic timing at the VMST meet? Edit: I read the entry form and it appears there is. I am thinking of swimming the 200 back, 100 evil (lol) and 200 free (with a 50 or 100 free split request). Although this could be too ambitious depending on how fast the meet runs.

Albatross Open
    Bethesda, MD
    March 20
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
    Fairfax, VA
    April 24-25
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20-23
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Updated January 20th, 2010 at 08:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19

by , January 19th, 2010 at 10:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Kick Set:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30

1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (dolphin)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
    20 pullouts
    1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)

10 x shooters w/MF @ :30
    odds = left side
    evens = right side

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

5 x (2 x 100) w/fins, done as:

1-2 = backstroke kick @ 1:20
    3-4 = backstroke @ 1:20
    5-6 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
    7-8 = fly @ 2:00*
    9-10 = flutter kick w/board @ 1:20

* I took an extra 30 seconds rest before fly. I can't do fly on short rest. In fact, I'm amazed I even did 2 x 100 fly -- and did it last week as well.

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF
    odds = easy @ 1:30
    evens = AFAP @ 1:00

went: 21.5-22 (bad turn), 21, 20, 20.5, 20.5-21

This is the fastest set of 50s I've done with the MF. I was using a narrow amplitude and super high cycle kick. I have to slow down slightly before the walls.

100 EZ

8 x 25 @ whatevah
    odds = AFAP free
    evens = easy

100 EZ

Total: 3250 + VK

Vinyasa Yoga:

Tonight, I tried the Yoga Shakti DVD. http://www.google.com/products/catal...959&sa=title#p

I did the Lunar Flow, which was the 45 minute version (that was all the time I had). This was definitely just stretching, not a workout at all. In fact, it was just too slow for me, and I completely skipped the paranyama and shavasana at the end (not my favs anyway). This could be a good DVD for the end of the day. There are 2 90 minute Solar Flow workouts that are supposed to be much more challenging. Vinyasa, with it's flowing moves, is very different than Bikram where the emphasis is on holding postures to build strength and flexibility. I'll try the other workouts before I form an opinion. At the very least, it got me stretching tonight -- which was the goal!

And, unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting my heel behind my head anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My hammies were a little sore today from the re-introduction of the squat yesterday. After my lazy week last week, I need to get back in the dryland groove. I was pretty happy with my kicking and speed work today. I was only using a 4 lb med ball for the vertical kicking today. (That was the only ball that was unlocked in the equipment room.) That definitely made the VK harder though.

I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half. I have no idea what I want to swim besides one new secret event (for Patrick). Entries are due March 25, so I need to send out my form pronto. Edit: I dunno ... the new secret event I wanted to swim is not possible without electronic timing. No split requests permitted.

Geek posted this on my entry for yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Wellness/fi...ory?id=9606251. His take home message: don't be a supplement hater!

Jim Corbeau sent me a great aerobic workout with some speed play that I may do tomorrow. I have to miss my Thursday workout with Speedo b/c I'm getting my hair "glazed" to compensate for anticipated fading. I hope to do his kick workout with him next Tuesday.

On the B2B ironman front, my son's friend (and cross country teammate), who will be 17+ on the day of the race, has gotten permission to enter even though he's not 18. So FortSon is agitating for it again, though he's worried he'll lose muscle even if he lifts while training.

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 11:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Drylands, Monday, Jan. 18

by , January 18th, 2010 at 06:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

5 minute warm up on evil stairmaster machine

squat swings, 25 x 2 x 15
    Russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    deadlift, 95 x 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 55 x 2 x 15
    squat swings w/20 lb kettleball, 2 x 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    standing lat pulldown, 70 x 2 x 10 (this machine seemed ridiculously harder than the machine at my gym)
    rear delt fly, 50 x 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/ 15 lb DBs, 2 x 15
    push ups, 1x 25 (forgot other set; FortSon was rushing me)
    hanging knee ups, 1x 15 (forgot other set)
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

10 minutes stretching

--------------------------------------------

Commentary:

I wanted to do aerobic work today as well, but it didn't fit into the schedule. I should be able to work out a lot the next couple days with my youngest still out of town.

Had a fabulous dinner with my swim friends last night. . FlyQueen picked a great Mexican spot. I can't wait to see them and everyone else in Atlanta. I've heard a rumor that tech suits may well be legal through the SCY season. I think that would be fair and fun. I've been too busy to properly mourn the loss of tech suits. But it would be nice to finish out the season in them.

I'm blogging from the airport about to fly home (Please forgive typos). Very easy trip, logistics wise, for mid-January.

On a funny note, my sister is now in posession of a set of P90X videos she got from a patient. She's about to try them. (She's very fit, so should be able to do them fairly easily.) I just found it funny that all of us siblings got them indepenently.

Added note: On the red head front, I've definitely had some major fading, but I think that would have happened whether or not I was swimming. It simply takes awhile for the color to stick, and the first week is the worst. It'll be interesting to assess again in 4 months or so. I'm going in again on Tuesday for the second ginger transformation.

Updated January 31st, 2010 at 06:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  4. Sunday, Jan. 17

by , January 17th, 2010 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ventured to the RecPlex today with FortSon, hoping it wouldn't be too crowded. It wasn't bad, and I had a lane to myself for over half my workout. But the pool was very shallow, pretty hot and had no backstroke flags. So I revised my planned workout to exclude backstroke. I also didn't do much speed work given the temperature. But that's fine, and consistent with me finishing out my "recovery" week.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition/Drill Set:

30 x 50 @ 1:00, done as:

10 x 50:
    odds = PLD breast
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

10 x 50:
    odds = fly drill (either chest press or single arm)
    evens = breast pull w/pull buoy

10 x 50:
    odds = double shooters on back w/fins
    evens = dolphin kick w/fins & board

50 EZ

Aerobic Set:

10 x 100 @ 1:45 w/fins
    odds = PLD breast (went 1:20-1:25)
    evens = lope free (went 1:05s)

100 dolphin dive

Endurance Kick:

40 x 25 kick, no fins @ :30
    30 w/kick boards
    10 done backstroke kick (it was too annoying without flags and shallow water to do more)

100 dolphin dive

Speed Set:

5 x (4 x 25) w/fins
    #1 = easy speed fly
    #2 = easy
    #3 = AFAP free
    #4 = easy

100 dolphin dive

Total: 5050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt like I got a pretty decent workout in despite a subpar pool. Got in a good mix of things. I've been enjoying the drill work I've done this week.

I'm hanging out with my sister this afternoon. Watched some of the Vikings game. Go Vikes! Tonight, I'm dining with 3 of my friends and former Bullets teammates: FlyQueen, Aquafeisty and Chicken of the Sea. Can't wait to see them!

Updated January 18th, 2010 at 11:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Quick Kick, Friday, Jan 15

by , January 16th, 2010 at 12:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main Set 1: hypoxic kick w/MF

10 x 25 shooters on back @ :30
    10 x 25 easy speed fly @ :30
    10 x 25 shooter on belly @ :30
    10 x 25 easy speed fly @ :30
    10 x 25 shooter on back @ :30

50 EZ

Love this set! One of my favs.

Main Set 2: Endurance Kick: The Chris Stevenson set:

dolphin kick w/MF & board

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

100 EZ

Total: 3200

-----------------------------------

Commentary:

Blogging from my iPhone. Please ignore typos, Jimi.

I had to get up very early to drop some of my brood at the airport for their ski trip. No idea at all how some of you regularly rise when it's dark!

I wanted to do another set, but ran out of time. I had to attend a memorial service for a friends whose kids were my kids' friends and teammates. Very sad.

I also ran into the mysterious Cage Fighter. He's gone hard core and is practicing with the Fish -- lots if distance free. He looks leaner than ever. I had to remind him to renew his masters registration so he could come swim at Zones with us.

I flew to Chicago yesterday. Today, I'm touring Northwestern with FortSon, my sister and nieces and then tooling around Chicago. Cheers!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Solo Lactate, Thursday, Jan. 14

by , January 14th, 2010 at 04:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I took yesterday off. It seems my off days have shifted to Wednesday. And since I was tired, it was likely a good thing anyway. I still intend the rest of the week to be a "recovery week" (sounding like a triathlete here ...) after 4 weeks of hard training. No doubles or hard drylands. Today's swim workout, stolen from Tall Paul, is probably the hardest thing I'll do this week. My Thursday workout buddy, Speedo, had a conference call today that precluded his lunch time swim. Lactate sets are much more fun and tolerable with a buddy! I plan to do a aerobic/hypoxic kick workout tomorrow morning before heading to the Chicago area for the weekend.

Drylands:

45 minutes in the gym doing RC and stretching

RC = med ball toss on wall, external and internal rotators, 3 position arm extensions, prone scapular scrunches, tricep kick backs, scapular wall slides, seated straight arm dips, chops on yoga ball

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety
    300 fly drills

10 x 25 twirling shooters @ :35

Transition Set:

3 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
    #1 = single arm fly drill
    #2 = dolphin kick w/board
    #3 = PLD breast*
    #4 = double shooter w/fins

* On my evil pullouts, I am focusing on keeping skinny streamlines when recovering after the pull down. I think I've been sticking my elbows out too far and creating drag.

50 EZ

Tall Paul Main Set #1:

2 x (4 x 25 free) variables @ :40
    easy-fast/fast-easy/fast/easy

1 x 200 (25 scull, 50 swim, 25 kick, repeat)

4 x (50 fast w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 3:00
    did backstroke, went 24, 23 high, 24, 24
    started to cramp on first one, but didn't spasm and then went away

200 EZ

Tall Paul Main Set #2:

8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30

1 x 200 (25 scull, 50 swim, 25 scull, repeat)

2 x (100 fly, fast w/fins + 200 EZ) @ 6:00
    did fly, went high 56s on both

Total: 3800

10 minutes hottub

I felt perky (no, just not as dead or fatigued) today. And I was happily surprised with my 100 fly times. These were substantially faster than the :59 I went last Thursday. I approached them differently. Last time, I breathed every other stroke, taking 10-7/8-7/8-7/8 SDKs per 25. This time I took 13-10/11-10/11-10 SDKs per 25 and breathed every stroke from the breakout to the wall except at the end. This is clearly faster for me, and how I plan to swim the 100 fly at the Albatross Open.

I'm still enjoying being a redhead. I feel like I'm traveling around in cognito and should be named Anya ... lol I didn't see any red bleeding into the water after pre-slathering my hair with conditioner. It will be rather interesting going through airport security with my new hair and old driver's license ... And hopefully my sister and nieces will at least recognize me! Mr. Fort arrives home tonight. SwimmerGirlKT helpfully suggested that he will feel like he is having an affair.

This is where I hope to work out over the weekend. I'm a bit worried about their being only 4 lanes ... http://www.recplexonline.com/about/fitnesscenter.asp

Updated January 14th, 2010 at 10:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  7. Lil Mermaid, Tuesday, Jan. 12

by , January 12th, 2010 at 06:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Still feeling pooped out today, so I did another recovery/drill workout, the structure of which I stole and modified from a recent Tall Paul workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety
    200 fly drills

Main Set #1:

4 x 25 shooters, no fins @ :45
    1 x 200 back, negative split, smooth
    4 x 100 kick w/MF @ 1:45, focus on streamlining

Main Set #2:

6 x 25 shooters, no fins @ :45
    6 x 100 @ 2:00 done as 50 chest press fly + 50 PLD breast
    50 EZ

Main Set #3:

8 x 25 shooters, no fins, @ :45
    8 x 50 @ 1:00, done as 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ DAB

100 EZ

Total: 3200

Drylands:

30-40 minutes of RC and stretching while watching American Idol with the girls.

Ack. I am ridiculously tired after a workout where I did nothing fast ... I guess on my typical 4 weeks on, 1 week recovery schedule, I may have to do most of this week as recovery. Not sure if it's the training, or the reduced sleep compared to the holidays or the involuntary low carb diet. Probably the training.

On another front, I took the plunge today and have no buyer's remorse. The hair is now red! Mini Fort announced it was really auburn and it needed more red (though she did volunteer it made me look younger), FortSon said it was orange and Lil lil Fort said it was red. It looks fairly bright in the sunshine, not as bright inside. I will have to go for a color adjustment next week. It apparently fades very fast the first week and take 3-4 colorings before the color really "sticks." So maybe I'll post a new pic next week when it's been further adjusted ... I'll put a starter pic on my profile pic. Love it though! It will be interesting to see if I "bleed" into the pool.

Article on "Caveman" Nutrition from NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fa...10caveman.html

2010 Meets:

Albatross Open
    Bethesda, MD
    March 20
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
    Fairfax, VA
    April 24-25
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
    Atlanta, GA
    May 20-23
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Updated January 12th, 2010 at 10:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Monday, Jan. 11

by , January 11th, 2010 at 08:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Transition Sets:

Hypoxic SDK:

4 x (4 x 25) shooter w/MF Dolphina
    1-4 = belly
    5-8 = twirling
    9-12 = back
    13-16 = twirling

Drilly:

4 x (3 x 50) @ 1:00, IM Order, no fins
    #1 = drill
    #2 = kick
    #3 = swim (except I drilled the fly)

Backstroke Kick Mini Mountain Redux, no fins:

1 x 25 kick @ :30 (shooter)
    1 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (14 SDKs)
    1 x 75 kick @ 1:30 (13 SDKs)
    1 x 100 kick @ 2:00 (12-13 SDKs)
    1 x 75 kick @ 1:30 (13 SDKs)
    1 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (14 SDKs)
    1 x 25 @ :30 (shooter)

50 EZ

Main set:

4 x (4 x 100) @ 1:45 w/MF, done as:

#1-4 = dolphin kick w/MF & board, descend
    (1:15, 1:10, 1:05, 1:00)
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick*
    #5-8 = breast PLD
    1:00 breast vertical kick
    #9-12 = dolphin kick w/MF on back, descend to kinda fast
    (1:10, 1:05, 1:00, :55)
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick
    #13-16 = breast PLD
    1:00 breaststroke vertical kick

* trying to keep knees together and prevent them from breaking the horizontal plane

10 x glide drill

100 EZ

Total: 3850+

Commentary:

Whoa. I felt pretty fatigued and slow today, and consequently did a mostly recovery workout. The back-to-back combo of bikram + P90X plyos this weekend, after not doing them since November, made the hammies a *little* sore. I also think I have some accumulated training/leg fatigue. I glanced through my blog the last month, and I've been hitting it pretty hard since NE Champs. This is my usual pattern. Train like mad for 4 weeks and then feel like I need a relative rest. Unfortunately, there's no good meet to rest for! So I may take it relatively easy the next couple days. I'll be traveling this weekend as well, and that will definitely preclude any doubles.

I feel like I at least did a better job on my mini mountain kick today than I did last Friday in the hot pool. But it was a hypoxic effort only; I didn't feel like I had any easy speed.

SCY Nats:

I booked a hotel room at the Georgia Tech Conference Center, as it seemed the most convenient and got a decent $109 rate. The cheapest airfare I've seen so far is $219, likewise not bad. And the familial negotiations are proceeding apace.

I may only do 2 travel meets this year, Atlanta and a SCM meet in December. The timing of Atlanta is not ideal if I go on a frolic & banter type vacation over spring break. That's under familial negotiations as well. But c'est la vie. I don't want to miss out on all the fun!

Here's the Order of Events: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/events.php

I think I'll swim:

Friday: 50 evil, 100 fly
    Sat: 50 fly, 50 back
    Sun: 100 IM, 100 back

I wish the 100 back wasn't my last event or so close to the 100 IM. Hopefully a lot of people will swim the 200 fly, which is in between. Not too damn likely!

The only slight downer is that I doubt many from my team will go. Maybe 3 guys, including Speedo, but no chicks. Which would mean no relays for me unless I joined another team with friends ... But I think that requires 60 days of being unattached, which would include Zones. Not a great idea, since my team is hosting CZ.

Possible Thursday Workout w/Speedo:

Since Pete is determined to do more race pace work, , I found a nice workout when perusing Tall Paul's recent workouts (a couple of sets of which I stole today):

15 minute warm-up

8 x 50's @ 1:00 build
    option to do reverse IM order

Main #1:
    2x (4 x 25's @ :40 variable (easy-fast/fast-easy/all easy/all fast)

200 (25 scull/50 swim/25 kick)

4 x 50's @ 3:00 best average

300 hypoxic pull (except NOT this)

Main #2:
    8 x 25's @ :30 w/fins (shooter/underwater kick to 15m/easy swim to 25)

200 (25 scull/50 swim/25 kick)

2 x 100's @ 4:00 fast w/fins and paddles

300 choice warm down

Updated January 11th, 2010 at 11:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sunday, Jan. 10

by , January 10th, 2010 at 08:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Didn't have much time to workout today. My main priority was to sleep in after going to a late movie last night (Youth in Rebel -- very good & funny). Instead, I plugged in my 60 minute P90X plyo DVD, which I hadn't done since early November. It was still hard, and I can feel my hamstrings. Didn't do anything in double time. Back to the pool tomorrow afternoon.

P90X plyo exercises:

Exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The first 3 exercises in each group are :30 and the 4th one is 1:00. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

I'm flying to the Chicago area this coming MLK weekend with my son to visit Northwestern and see my sister. There is a pool very near her house, I know. I think my Nats team, ABM, has a meet on Saturday. No idea if they have practice on Sunday. Further investigation required. I hope I have warm enough clothes ...

GMUP practices were cancelled again this weekend, both days, without any make ups or even pretend (4:45 am) make ups. Membership is on the wane ... I hope our team rep can make some headway with management.

I ordered 3 yoga DVDs so we'll see how my at home experiment works. Mini Fort is interested too.

Updated January 10th, 2010 at 08:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  10. Dirty Hippie, Sat., Jan. 9

by , January 9th, 2010 at 07:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Hot Yoga:

Since I cannot be trusted to stretch alone, I went to a 90 minute hot yoga class today. The Resolutionists were out in full force. I've never been in such a crowded yoga class. One of Jazzy's friends says hot yoga is for "dirty hippies." I looked around the class today and only saw one person who might qualify for that appellation. lol Otherwise, there was a wide variety of ages, and I'm under the impression that hot yoga is somewhat trendy as opposed to the province of oldsters. Mini Fort wants me to go to cold yoga with her tomorrow, but this conflicts with my other daughter's jazz recital, which literally hogs the whole afternoon.

I thought it might be somewhat hard for my first time back since November. But it was surprisingly fine. It was the best I'd ever done on the balancing postures. Maybe my core work is helping with these. The best part about bikram is all the back and leg stretching. I like it better than doing umpteen downward dogs. However, I am still going to do some investigation into cold yoga DVDs and will probably get one ashtanga and one vinyassa. The first 3 on this list look pretty good. http://www.susiej.com/index.php/the-top-ten-yoga-dvds/

This was my last pre-paid class at the Falls Church studio, so I may try the Reston studio next. An we all know who work in Reston. Watch out Geek!

Physical Therapy Any Good?

Very interesting article questioning the value or benefit of PT in many instances. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/he...y&st=cse&scp=1. Personally, I've never been much of a fan, though I think certain exercises (RC) are worthwhile.

The article opines that icing is of virtually no benefit. It also caught my attention that eccentric exercises are beneficial. That's what Mr. Fort's trainer has him doing for hip/hamstring rehab.

Also, poor girl, she didn't get her PRP for a tendon tear covered. Must have needed a lawyer.

Updated January 10th, 2010 at 01:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  11. Gym/Swim, Friday, Jan. 8

by , January 8th, 2010 at 06:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, school was delayed due to the ONE inch of snow or so that we got. Spent a lovely morning with my lovely children (who will all go to Harvard ) and then hit the gym and hot gym pool right afterward.

Drylands:

broomsticks, 1 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 3 x 15
    total ab machine, 100 x 1 x 25, 120 x 1 x 20
    lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 2 x 15
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 55 x 2 x 15
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15, each arm
    twisting med ball slam w/10 lb ball, 2 x 15
    rotating DB squat swings, 2 x 25*
    windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    push ups, 2 x 25
    chin ups, 2 x 7 (not so great -- out of practice)

* This is a new exercise I tried (and liked) from the crazy core link. You start in a squat with a dumbbell held between your legs. You swing it up above your head and simultaneously rotate a quarter turn. It starts out easy, but gets much harder by 25.

Swim/Solo/SCM

Boo-- the pool was back up to 85 degrees. I stole two of Chris' sets, including his broken 100 set from yesterday.

Warm up:

700 variety

Mini Mountain Backstroke Kick Set, no fins:

1 x 25 back kick @ :35
    1 x 50 back kick @ 1:10
    1 x 75 back kick @ 1:45
    1 x 100 back kick @ 2:15
    1 x 75 back kick @ 1:45
    1 x 50 back kick @ 1:10
    1 x 25 back kick @ :35

50 EZ

These didn't feel so great. My legs were tired from the drylands. Plus, I have trouble doing hypoxic work in shallow hot pools. I managed 10 SDKs per length, more on the 25s. I should really be at more like 12-14 for this set. Will probably re-try in a more swimmer friendly pool next week.

Kick-Drill Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:10
    odds = fast dolpin kick w/board
    evens = PLD breast drill

I attempted an more scull-like breast pull, really keeping the hands out in front, and I seem to go faster and have more DPS that way.

50 EZ

Broken 100s Backstrokes w/fins:

1 x 100, broken at the 25s with 5 seconds rest
    went 1:01
    50 EZ
    1 x 100, broken at the 25s with 10 seconds rest
    went :59
    50 EZ
    1 x 100, broken at the 25s with 20 seconds rest
    went :53
    50 EZ

I had a little trouble seeing the clock at one end of the pool, so these are approximate times.

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2250 meters

Commentary:

Thought I'd feel crummy today after yesterday's lactate set, but I didn't feel too bad except for that first kick set. The legs are still tired, but that's fine. Going to try to hit yoga tomorrow since I lack all stretching discipline. I'm thinking of getting the P90X yoga DVD (or swiping it from my runner friend) to help in this respect. When it's nasty and cold, I'm apt to do this more at home. Can anyone recommend any other yoga videos?

Off to a high school swim meet tonight ...

Dr. Jimi posted this on FB today, which I found interesting:

http://www.slate.com/id/2240688/

Q and scyfreestyler will like it; Geek will still keep going to Costco for hocum pokum.

BTW, Does anyone have hotel reservations for Atlanta yet? I'm thinking I might want to avoid making them at the last minute, assuming I negotiate a weekend of leave.

Updated January 8th, 2010 at 07:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  12. Ouch! Thursday, Jan. 7

by , January 7th, 2010 at 04:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM Drylands:

push ups w/push up stand 3 x 15*
    ab roll outs w/power wheel, 3 x 15
    jump rope, 2 x 75
    prone scapular scrunches, 3 x 25
    3 position arm extensions, 3 x 3 x 15

* The push up stand seems to make the exercise harder to me. Perhaps it's the increased range of motion. The stands are definitely easier on the wrists.

P90X Ab Killer DVD (15 minutes):

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tcpx_p90x-ab-ripper-x-part-1_school"]Dailymotion - P90X Ab Ripper X Part 1 - a College video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7tcpx@@AMEPARAM@@x7tcpx[/ame]

Commentary:

I knew after my first few jumps with the rope that this would be a hard day. My legs were still totally dead from my brutal double on Tuesday. The word "cramp" was never far from my mind and, indeed, that is, unhappily, what ensued ...

Noon Swim w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

750 variety

6 x 25 shooters

Transition set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

(I missed one of these.)

50 EZ

Main Set:

Speedo and I had decided to do Geek's lactate set (w/modifications) from several days ago. He was likewise weary from a hard practice yesterday. But, there really is no sense putting off lactate work, so we gamely had at it. I certainly plan to do more of it now that I've got some aerobic work under my belt.

1 x 200 w/fins @ 8:00

I swam 5 1/2 lengths and quit. I got a calf cramp the instant I pushed off to begin swimming. It didn't hurt as much when I dolphin kicked, but the minute I transitioned, it tightened even worse. It was so painful, I stopped. I'm a quitter. I was out in a :57. My stroke didn't feel very good (not like last week), so I was surprised to even go out that fast. The legs felt positively leaden.

150 EZ

1 x 100 w/fins @ whatevah

I did fly. Went a :59. Very unspectacular; I've gone faster. But at least it was a cramp free swim.

150 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins @ whatevah + 100 EZ)

1st 50 = fly, went :24
    2nd 50 = back. went :23.5 ish even though I slipped on the wall

These were faster than I expected and certainly better efforts than my 200 and 100. Good to know I haven't lost all my speed. Speedo's underwater SDKs and streamlining have really improved!

2 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 EZ @ whatevah)
    (one free, one belly shooter)

100 EZ

Evil Drill set:

5 x (3 x 50), RI = :20-25

#1 = breast kick (trying to keep knees close)
    #2 = PLD (pull, lunge, dolphin) breast drill
    #3 = Chris' breast drill where you alternate PLD with regular breaststroke each stroke. I really liked this drill and will continue to do it.

50 EZ

Total: 3350

10 minutes in hottub.

Commentary:

That was a nice kick in the pants and welcome back to the world of lactate pain. This would be a good set to repeat. The only problem with it from a sprinter perspective is that it's very hard to recover from that first 200. It takes a toll on the subsequent 100. I guess you could reverse the order of the set as well.

Definitely time to increase the race pace work!

I wish someone would come stand over me an make me stretch tonight. I really need it. I have no idea why I have a lapse of motivation in this area ...

Streamlining:

Pete and I discussed streamlining some and, in particular, 2 recent USMS tips. One is Chris Colburn's "hanging streamline drill" discussed here: https://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=238. Another is a tech tip drill Pete read about where you simply practice streamlining by pushing off and seeing how far you go. Keep repeating and hopefully see improvement. I'll definitely try these drills.

F Gluten!

I think I might have made it through my first gluten free day without accidentally glutening myself. Have been doing some reading. It also seems that muscle cramping and abdominal cramps can also be symptoms of gluten intolerance. http://www.celiac.com/articles/1106/...oms/Page1.html. In addition to my usual calf cramps, I've had some wicked abdominal cramps. Perhaps this will improve if I can successfully alter my diet.

Updated January 7th, 2010 at 07:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  13. No Watching! Wed., Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2010 at 09:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    9:00 to 3:00: Caught up on errands today. Didn't work out. I was about due for a rest day anyway, much as I hate them.

3:15: Dropped 15 year old off at senior swim practice. Didn't watch or hover.

4:30: Dropped 9 year old off at jazz dance. Didn't watch or hover. Drove home. (Why spoil it when the recital is Sunday?)

5:15: Fort Son arrived home from winter crew practice. We didn't discuss it. I'm already on notice that erg-ing is an evil and disliked necessity in crew. I did inquire how his ankle was after his run yesterday.

5:30 Picked up my 9 year old from jazz dance and took her to swim practice. (We don't care about homework apparently on Wednesdays.) Dropped her off and didn't watch or hover. Had to stay for 15 minutes waiting for 15 year old to finish practice. Got lectured by 15 year old for sitting in the bleachers for even this wee bit of time. Drove 3 loud teenagers home and eavesdropped on swim gossip.

6:45: Ordered pizza for children as I had no time (or inclination particularly with today's driving schedule) to cook for my family. Was slightly bitter about the fact that I couldn't eat any of it.

7:30: Picked up my 9 year old from swim practice. She announced she was excited about doing back flip turns. Otherwise, no discussion of swimming.

8:00: Helped 9 year old study for math test. This effort didn't last long. She claimed she knew it all, and I chose to believe her.

8:30: Made myself an omelet. Took a lactate pill and put cheese in my omelet. Started itching 30 minutes later -- I give up. There will be an attempt to stretch and do RC work tonight after 9 year old goes to bed. I like my new Stick.

Updated January 7th, 2010 at 09:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5

by , January 5th, 2010 at 07:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

1. Warm up:

1 x 25 broomstick twists

3 x through:

100 bicycles
    100 jump ropes
    alternating hammers, 15 x 3 x 15, each arm
    3 position arm extensions (15 reps each position)

10 minutes stretching

2. Core:

reverse lunges w/straight arm twist w/15 lb DB, 2 x 15 (this was from my "crazy core" link -- http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html)
    straight leg raises in captain's chair (forgot ab slings), 2 x 25
    squat swing w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    push ups, 2 x 25
    internal & external rotators

3. Cross Fit WOD (Workout of the Day): "Swimming Tabata Death"

5 rounds of 5 exercises done tabata style (20 seconds @ 100% + 20 seconds rest). Rest until heart rate returns to normal between rounds. I stretched between rounds.

1. med ball slams
    2. jump rope
    3. crunches
    4. lateral bench hops*
    5. row**

* I substituted these for push ups. That many fast push ups is contra-indicated for my shoulders.

** I did this on the seated rowing machine with the weight set at 60 pounds. It was like explosive lifting.

The original tabata protocol involves the following:

5 minutes of warm-up
    8 intervals of 20 seconds all-out intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest
    2 minutes cool-down

http://www.tabataprotocol.com

This would be very inadequate warm up for me. Though perhaps I should have done the WOD prior to my core work today ...

Commentary: As Geek would say, this WOD was a mother scratcher. Every exercise was hard, but the lateral bench hops were the worst. My legs were burning. Jump roping is an absolutely fantastic tabata exercise. You don't have to worry about form degradation the way you have to with other exercises. For exercise #1, I was getting about 25 slams per 20 seconds. For exercise #3, I was doing 23-24 crunches per 20 seconds. For exercise #4, I was getting in 30-35 hops on the first 3 rounds and then went down to about 25.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

For today's PM swim, I stole one of Tall Paul's recent workouts. It was a good one too. I modified it to do main set #1 as kick instead of swim.

Warm up:

600 variety

TP Main Set #1:

4 x through:

1 x 200 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 3:15 descend
    1 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00 ascend

50 EZ

I ended at 2:11 on the board kicks (#4 = pain) and started with :55 on the 100s (forgot Fortina).

TP Main Set #2:

6 x through:

1 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00
    1 x 50 evil w/fins @ 1:00

I ended at :55 on the 100 backs (dead legs and a cramp) and started at :33 on the 50 evils.

100 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

3 x (4 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    AFAPs = free & fast doggy paddle drill

100 EZ

Total: 3350

Commentary:

Nuthin to say except that I am absolutely dead and, as my daughter would say, "can't move my legs." I think I will slather them in Traumeel tonight and take some ibuprofen. Or liberally use my new Stick. http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_201

Tomorrow is definitely a recovery day. Then, on Thursday, I'll do Geek's lactate set with Speedo. I miss all the sleep I was getting over the long holiday break. Quality sleep makes such a difference!

P.S. I am completely pissed off that licorice, my fav treat, is not gluten free.

Running Shoes Bad?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10618479

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 11:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  15. Swim, Monday, Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2010 at 10:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 variety

Aerobic Set:

5 x 200 FRIMs @ 3:00
    FRIMs = free IM done as free/fly+free/back+free/breast+free/free

50 EZ

Drill Set:

5 x through:

100 breast PLD w/fins @ 2:00
    50 breast pull w/pullbuoy

I like these drills, but my L (lunge) and D (dolphin) seem awfully close together timing wise.

50 EZ

Kick Sets:

Chris S.'s Mini Backstroke Kick Mountain, no fins:

1 x 25 @ :30
    1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 75 @ 1:30
    1 x 100 @ 2:00
    1 x 75 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 25 @ :30

12 SDKs per 25 -- I should have done more SDKs, but my breathing is somewhat impaired by food and xmas tree allergies.

Ideally, I would have liked to do 2 rounds of this set, but I didn't have sufficient time today. I had plenty of rest, which was welcome with the hypoxic work. I might bump the intervals down by :05 next time I do this set.

Speed set:

10 x 50 dolphin kick on back w/MF-Dolphina @ 1:00, strong effort

Went: 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 24, 23, 23, 22.5

200 EZ

Total: 3600

Commentary:

Not sure if it was the crappy night's sleep on the coach last night or yesterday's somewhat intense drylands, but I was beat today and felt really crappy during warm up and the first set. Finally started to find a cruiser pace on the evil drill set. My shoulders and arms were quite sore and tired, and I didn't even think I did that much upper body work yesterday. Hmmm ...

I can't decide what to do tomorrow: gym/swim or yoga/swim or gym/yoga. I was going to check out the Reston Bikram yoga place to compare it to Falls Church. I still feel like I need to get some yoga in b/c it's a ton of stretching, and I'm awful about doing it on my own at night.

Meets:

I'm thinking I may cruise in late to the Tropical Splash on Jan 31. Have to check my kid schedule. The 100 IM and 50 free are toward the end of the meet. I didn't swim those events at the Sprint Classic. And, I guess it's possible the tech suits may still be legal then if FINA uses a grace period and/or USMS hasn't issued a ruling yet on SCY. I would have loved to do the 100 back, but it's way too early in the am for me. (And, on the other hand, manual timing means slippery backstroke starts.)

Suits:

I was checking out the newest generation of suits. It's hard to believe the Speedo LZR Elite kneeskin is $375. It can't be that different than the regular Pro ... Here's the new B70: http://www.blueseventy.com/nerotx. If/when our current suits are banned, I'm going to stick with B70.

Miscellaneous Questions:

1. Anyone have any tips for teaching 10 & unders flip turns?

2. Anyone have any backpack recommendations? I've had two TYR backpacks recently and they have both torn across the front near the zipper area. I've lost a pair of goggles and a shirt from falling out the top.

3. Anyone else a Lactard?

Is anyone else a lactard with a lactose allergy or lactose intolerance? If so, have you tried lactate tablets and do they help the symptoms and allow you to eat some dairy? I have surveyed some friends and done some internet research and it seems to vary depending on whether you have an allergy (don't work) or an intolerance (may work, especially wrt cheese). I'm not sure whether I have an intolerance or an allergy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=43471
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

My symptoms are all similar and/or overlapping with my gluten problems. (Which suck -- I was tempted to rip my daughter's tasty Whole Foods burrito out of her hands today and dreamt of bagels and bread last night while I tossed and turned.)

4. I've been enjoying not doing heavy weights. But does anyone think it's good to cycle a period of mostly body weight/plyo/core (my current regimen) with a cycle of heavier weights, say from season to season?

5. Random. I saw "Up in the Air" with George Clooney Saturday night, and there was a brief scene with him swimming. He had a terrible catch with his left hand, and this reduced his hotness factor somewhat. lol

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 07:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Drylands, Sunday, Jan. 3

by , January 4th, 2010 at 12:43 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    After a somewhat long hiatus, I ventured to the gym today at the Rivers Club in downtown Pittsburgh. It is a small, but fairly posh, gym. Not nearly as many weight/HS machines as my gym, but a lot of dryland toys including jump ropes and ab rollers. There were even some toys I couldn't identify! Did about 90+ minutes.

Drylands:

bicycles, 3 x 100
    jump rope, 5 x 100 basic jumps, 1 x 100 skip*
    hip hinges, 2 x 10 each leg with 12 lb DBs
    squat X press, 3 x 20 w/15 lb DBs
    oblique V ups, 2 x 25, each side
    bent over rear delt flys, 12 x 3 x 15
    seated narrow grip row, 105 x 2 x 10, slow
    body rows, 3 x 15
    stacked feet staggered hand push ups, 3 x 15
    ab rollers, 2 x 25
    rock star hops, 2 x 10
    tabata squat thrust + press w/med ball (8 rounds, 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest)**

*I think I need to do alternating or switching instead of dumbo "skipping." I tried some double unders. I am either really uncoordinated or these take some practice and hand speed. I think twisting hops might be fun and effective.

** Not a good idea to leave this until near the end of workout.

RC:

3 position arm extensions, external and internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, scapular wall slides

2 x 5 minutes of stretching

steamroom

Commentary (or "My Feelings" as the awol Jazzy would say ):

I gave jump roping a try today. I liked it. I think it's pretty much useless except for endurance work though, i.e., not helpful for sprinting or explosive work. Though, from what I've quickly read, jump roping is an excellent full body fat burning aerobic exercise. I think I will persist, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of sets to do. I've read that some people work up to 15-20 minutes. Egads, that seems like a long time! I though perhaps jump roping would be a good tabata exercise as well. Or, I considered jump roping at maybe 25-50 reps between other sets.

I also pondered today whether I should do something about my propensity toward haphazard super-setting. Perhaps alternate upper body and lower body exercises? I may have been instinctively doing this, although I often alternate weights with core work (though I use core work for warm up too).

Shortly after my gym routine, I drove 4.5 hours home. (Mr. Fort is headed to NY and Tucson for the week.) I arrived home to a house at 40 degrees and no heat. *&$**#**%@#!!! Apparently, there were power outages in metro DC from the high winds. After digging out every spare down comforter, I called a friend who came over at 10:00 pm, , to see if he could fix the problems. He did, (pilot light out and other stuff), and now I just have to wait for the heat to return. I'm hoping by tomorrow morning it will be warm. I think I'm going to sleep in my family room next to the fire and space heater! My bedroom is an icebox. Brrrrr!

I'm rather sad for the holiday break to be over. I enjoyed a more relaxed schedule and sleeping in late. On the other hand, it will be somewhat easier to work out. Hot yoga sounds pretty swell right now. I'm hoping I can go to sleep after a coffee on the drive and the heat fiasco.

Updated January 4th, 2010 at 12:57 AM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Stole Quick's set @ Sewickley, Sat., Jan 2

by , January 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ventured out to the Sewickley Y again to swim with Jimi, Bill White and speedster Mark Cox. This time, I wrote the workout after engaging in some thievery. Jim decided it was "Jimcentric enough," and meekly acquiesced.

Swim SCY @ Sewickley Y:

Warm up:

650-700 variety

Quicksilver/Speedo set:

6 x 125 @ 2:00
    6 x 100 @ 1:30
    6 x 75 @ 1:14
    6 x 50 @ :45
    6 x 25 @ :30

We took 1:00 between each round (though I'm not sure that was Quick's intent?) I was working at a pretty high aerobic level on these trying to keep up with the speedy freestylers (I did backstroke with fins.), so the mini-breaks were appreciated. The clocks didn't seem to be synchronized, so it was hard to get accurate tmes on the 75s and 125s. I believe I was going around 1:07-08 on the 100 backs and 31 or so on the 50 backs.

50 EZ

The assigned set was 16 x 50 kick (cruise 3, sprint 1). But Jimi balked at the undue length of the kicking ... So we modified it to:

4 x (8 x 25), no fins
    rounds 1 & 3 @ :30
    rounds 2 and 4 @ :35
    1 minute between each round, which allowed for higher quality kicking.

I did round 1 & 3 flutter kick with a board and rounds 2 & 4 backstroke kick w/11 SDKs. Jim started out like a bat out of hell, which I advised was not the way to begin. I think we went an 18 on the first one. He claims he beat me on one 25 (the last one). This is false.

The next assigned set was 16 x 25 swim, cruise 3, sprint 1. But we wanted to get our coed steam in before they closed the steam room. So we took a 10 minute steam break. Then, we headed back to the pool to finish. Jimi and Bill (still in a Mexicoma) weren't thrilled with this idea, but I think Mark and I shamed them into it.

16 x 25 @ :30, 3 cruise, 1 sprint w/fins
    I did free. It actually didn't feel too bad after a steam. I was expecting some sluggishness.

no warm down, pool closing

Total: 4150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I enjoyed the Quick/Speedo sest and my backstroke still felt pretty good. There were no backstroke flags at one end, which was a bit challenging. I finally feel like I'm starting to get into halfway decent aerobic shape again after that ungodly long taper in late Nov. to mid-Dec. I may pop in a test set of sorts next week to see where I'm at. I'm heading to the gym today.

I have not started on my New Years Resolutions yet. Though I'm hoping to stretch at the gym. There was an interesting article in the WSJ a couple days ago on this topic. It suggested that willpower and desire were NOT the best way to accomplish a resolution, but rather a "little bit at a time" approach was more successful in the long term.

And I suck at eating gluten free. I unintentionally glutened myself at a restaurant last night. I think this is going to take some getting used to.

I've attached a couple of out underwater shots. (I pulled these off facebook; they may need to be re-sized. One is the Pieta mother & child shot, naturally. The other is Bill and Jimi apparently attempting to strangle me. Jimi thinks this explains the red rash around my neck (which I myself had attributed to a gluten attack).

Updated January 3rd, 2010 at 12:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underwater 2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	6326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underwater.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	6327  
  18. Swim w/Jimby & Bill, Friday, Jan. 2

by , January 2nd, 2010 at 11:57 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swam awith two of my favorite swim buddies today, Jimby and Bill White at the Sewickley Y. We did a "Jimcentric" workout, though nothing was over 150.

Swim SCY @ Sewickley Y:

Warm up:

8 x 100 on 1:30

I'm not used to a structured warm up, and usually like to just amble along for awhile. I kicked about half of these.

Aerobic Sets:

repeat 3 x:

150 free @ 2:00
    100 free @ 1:20
    50 @ :40
    EZ 50 regroup

repeat 5 x:

100 @ 1:30
    2 x 50 @ 45

On the 100s, I swam IM, back, breast, free and fly. I went a 1:05 on the last 100 fly with fins (I never swim fly w/o fins). I kicked all the 50s.

Speed Set:

repeat 2x, all @ 2:00

#1 = 100 medium easy speed
    #2 = 100 broken at 50 for 5 seconds, come in at same clock time as #1 or faster
    #3 = 100 broken at 50 and 75 for 5 seconds, come in at same clock time as #1 or faster
    #4 = 100 broken at 25, 50, and 75 for 5 seconds, come in at same clock time as #1 or faster

I made all these, which are essentially descending sets. The first round I did backstroke, starting at 1:12. I finished with a broken :51 on the last one (with fins). I did the second set fly with 7 SDK per 25, except I started off with a medium paced free. I think I did a broken :57 on the last one. Had to do some single arm pulls to avoid whacking Bill (who was also doing fly) and Jimby.

100 EZ

Total: 3850

This was a fun workout, and I was happy to swim after taking yesterday off with driving and a New Years Eve date with old friends. There was a LOT of jawing between sets. We skipped the last set to make it to the steamroom before it closed. I think we have our priorities straight.

A couple of Sewickley masters showed up mid workout -- one with an underwater camera. So Jimby and I took some "mother & child" Pieta inspired underwater pictures. I wish I had remembered to bring my new underwater camera!

I would've liked to stay for lunch, but the fam had plans to see all 179 minutes of Avatar. A bit like Pocahontas in space, but the forest imagery was beautiful.

Another swim is planned for later today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. 2009 Recap, Friday, Jan 1

by , January 1st, 2010 at 11:32 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Happy New Year everyone!

Geek inspired me to do a year in review of swimming 2009.

Events:

1. Jan. Open (USA): Swam the 200 back and 200 IM with the kiddies for the first time as a master.

2. Auburn Invitational: I tapered for this SCY meet since I wasn't going to Nats. Big breakthrough meet for me with 6 PBs and a 1:01 100 fly.

3. Albatross meet: Broke 1:11 in the 100 back for the first time in SCM in a close race.

4. Colonies Zones: Debuted Fortina and fell in love.

5. Fish Invitational (USA): Swam 200 back in LCM for the first time as a master.

6. Terrapin Cup: Rested 10 days for this meet, suffered a LZR zipper explosion and missed the backstroke events.

7. Junior Champs (USA): Swam my annual 100 fly in LCM where I prayed I wouldn't DQ the last 10 yards.

8. Nationals in Indy: great meet/great time with friends.

9. Savageman Half Iron Relay: Did my first OW swim. Loved the tri atmosphere.

10. Fall Ball: Swam a few events including a "100 free" and introduced the newly re-located Jazz to the PV folks.

11. Sprint Classic: Defended my Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters title.

12. NE Champs: Great meet w/6 PBs.

13. Like Geek, 10 billion summer league meets, USA meets, regattas, cross country races, road races, jazz dance recitals, volleyball games, etc.

The List:

1. Best Event: 50 back LCM. First AA and giant slaying.

2. Worst Event: 200 IM

3. Most Fun Event: 50 backs with Fortina at CZ

4. Least Fun Event: 100 back at LCM Nats with mega cramps

5. Most Surprisingly Event: 50 breasts at CZ and NE Champs

6. Funniest Moments: Stud showing off hot swimmer bod in skimpy British flag brief and squeezing into my B70.

7. Sweetest Moment: Attending the wedding of two wonderful master swimmer friends

8. Worst Moment: LZR zipper explosion moments before my heat of the 50 back.

9. Best Time: Hanging out with a great team and all my friends in Indy.

10. New Event(s): 200 back SCM, maybe a 200 fly kick

11. Retired Event(s): 200 IM, maybe the evilstroke events if my beloved suit is banned.

12. Smartest Move: Blogging! I am very thankful for all the fabulous advice and encouragement I have received.

New Years Resolutions:

1. stretch more
    2. improve my fly SDK
    3. go gluten & lactose free
    4. get the potato chip addiction under control
    5. try life as a redhead
    6. discover coping mechanisms to deal with strong willed drama queen teenage daughter who gets her cdriving permit this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, I'm journeying to the Sewickly Y to do a Jimcentric workout with Jimby.

Updated January 1st, 2010 at 10:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Drylands, Wed., Dec. 30

by , December 30th, 2009 at 05:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Gym:

bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 2 x 15
    standing single arm push on double cable machine, 25 x 2 x 15 each arm
    single arm standing lat pulldowns, 55 x 2 x 15, each arm
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill w/20 lb DB, 20 x 2 x 10, each arm
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 50 x 2 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 40 x 2 x 15
    decline reverse crunches w/10 lb DB held by feet, 3 x 15
    body rows, 3 x 20
    hanging knee tuck kick outs, 2 x 15

tabata squat thrusts w/press & med ball = 8 rounds of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. (Used my iphone to time.) Killer!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/ame]

see also:

http://ironmom.blogspot.com/2009/05/tabata-swim.html

and:

CF Swimming Tabata Death:
    WOD: 5 rounds tabata x 5 exercises (no rest in between)

Wall Ball
    Double unders (or 1/3 for singles)
    Push Ups
    Sit Ups (I'd sub plyos for this myself)
    Row

RC:

internal and external rotators
    med ball on wall
    scapular wall slides
    prone scapular scrunches
    3 position arm extensions
    dumbbell shrugs
    scapular pulls

P90X Ab Ripper:

11 exercises, 25 times each:

Knee In and Outs
    Bicycle
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frogs
    Fifer Scissors
    Hip Rock and Raise
    Pulse-ups with straight legs
    V-up roll ups
    Obliques V up crunches, each side
    Leg climbs
    Mason twist oblique twists

Looks like it is all right here:

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tcpx_p90x-ab-ripper-x-part-1_school"]Dailymotion - P90X Ab Ripper X Part 1 - a College video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7tcpx@@AMEPARAM@@x7tcpx[/ame]

Run:

2 x 1 mile run to drop the car off for new tires and go back to get it. It's WAY to cold out for my taste to run.

Commentary:

1. Well, I made it through my first official tabata cycle doing squat thrusts w/a press as in the swimming dryland video. Not easy. My heart rate was up pretty high -- probably the highest its been since I swam the 100 back at NE Champs. lol. Seems like a great exercise though.

2. I'm really liking the snatch windmill exercise. It's a good shoulder isometric and really works the core.

3. There are no jump ropes at my gym. And my son's jump rope is awol. So I ordered a jump rope today along with "The Stick" for my troublesome calves. It's supposed to be more effective than a foam roller.

4. The P90X Ab Ripper video seemed harder than usual after my gym session. I hadn't done it in awhile and doing it also confirmed that it is, in fact, much different than the P90X Plus ab/core workout. Much more ab isolation. I think the oblique V up crunches are the best exercise on this DVD.

5. I think the hanging ab work may be irritating my elbows slightly. I plan to go back to using my ab slings.

6. I had an appt with my sleep doc today. We also discussed the allergy issues. He says that, given my symptoms, it's an absolute no brainer that I have a gluten intolerance/allergy and I need to cut it out asap in toto from my diet. He says I also have a lactose intolerance/allergy, but that symptoms of hives, rashes, anemia and hand tingling indicate a gluten issue, not a lactose issue. (He said the latter could be controlled somewhat by taking lactate tablets before eating any dairy.) He thinks my reaction after dinner the other night was likewise gluten, not lactose, even though I *thought* I was eating gluten free. Restaurants, as Q has noted, are apparently, wholly unreliable ... It's also not a good sign that the allergies seem to be escalating. Big ugh.

Updated December 30th, 2009 at 11:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running