http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Thursday, Dec. 24

by , December 24th, 2009 at 02:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Everyone else in the family worked out this am, so I happily took the midday slot.

Drylands:

RC Work, 15-20 minutes:

Did: internal and external rotators, prone scapular scrunches, 3 position arm extensions, seated straight arm dips, med ball on the wall and DB shrugs (I'm adding these to my RC routine)

Core Work:

Just did a few exercises:

romanian sit ups, 2 x 15
    dreya roll into jack jump, 2 x 10
    hanging in & outs, 2 x 10 (pull knees up, kick feet out straight, curl knees back and down)
    hanging core swings, 2 x 10 (swing slightly forward using core, knees up high, swing backward using core, heels up as high as possible)
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    straight leg hip lifts on bench, 2 x 15

10-15 minutes of stretching

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

500 variety

Main set: (from J. Miller)

4 x 75 free @ 1:20
    1 x 25 fast, shooter on belly
    4 x 75 back @ 1:30, 9 SDK per 25
    2 x 25 fast, shooters on back
    4 x 75 evil w/fins @ 1:30*
    3 x 25 fast, dolphin kick w/snorkle
    4 x 75 single arm fly drill @ 1:30
    4 x 25 fast @ :30, flutter kick w/board & fins

* Swimming with evil with fins and working on long pullouts is like a breath control set. I only take 3-4 breaths per length. Evil is exhausting.

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2050 meters

short hottub & steam

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
  2. P90X Day, Wed., Dec. 23

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I picked my Mom up at the airport last night very late. Didn't have the heart to leave her to go to the gym or pool today. So instead I made her exercise with me some at home.

P90X Core Synergistics, 60 minutes

Exercises include:

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...ergistics/9917

I didn't do the chataranga planks or the walking push ups and instead did 1:00 of bicycles, good morning darlings and dead bugs during that part of the DVD.

My Mom did pretty well. Lil lil Fort joined in too. She has no balance, but she loves superman bananas.

P90X Plus Interval X:
    40 minute DVD; I did 20 minutes

This is the DVD for Crazyman!

It's somewhat similar to a tabata workout. You do 1:00 of 15 exercises. You are supposed to do 20 seconds easy, 20 seconds medium, and 20 seconds fast. Since I had just done Core Synergistics, I skipped the medium and just did 40 seconds of slow recovery. The exercises included running in place, burpees, pushups, various kinds of squats, plyo lunges, plyo jacks, side step-kick combos, etc. I look forward to doing the second half another time.

I'm hoping to get to the pool tomorrow late am for a quickie workout. We'll see ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Woohoo! Tues., Dec. 22

by , December 22nd, 2009 at 10:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Core Work:

I did the P90X plus 20 minute ab DVD today. (Well, I didn't do the hanging parts as I don't have a pull up bar in my house; I substituted other floor work.) I prefer this DVD to ab ripper. The movements use the whole trunk (not just abs) and are more complex than the other DVD. There is also an increased emphasis on balance. I can't seem to find a list of all the exercises anywhere, and can't remember all the names. There were 3 different variations for hanging ab work that I like and will try at the gym. Two of the exercises resemble the squat swing that I'm fond of.

Then I got out my power wheel and did

roll outs, 4 x 25
    pike ups, 2 x 15

Swim/SCY @ Mason:

Drove out to Mason tonight. Not terribly crowded. We had a "12 days of Xmas Workout."

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    4 x 25 scull
    400 pull (I did 3 x 100 dolphin kick w/board @ :20 RI)
    200 IM drill
    2 x 25 shooters

Pre set:

8 x 25 kick @ :30
    odds = IM order
    evens = free

8 x 25 swim @ :25
    odds = IM order
    evens = free

Main set: 12 Days of ...

(I don't remember most of the intervals. It was hard enough to keep count!)

12 lengths: 300 IM
    11 lengths: 275 free
    10 lengths: 250 kick (board, free)
    9 lengths: 225 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
    8 lengths: 200 IM
    7 lengths: 175 free
    6 lengths: 150 kick (board, dolphin)
    5 lengths: 125 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
    4 lengths: 100 IM
    3 lengths: 75 free
    2 lengths: 50 kick (board, dolphin)
    1 length: 25 AFAP (did shooter w/fins, went 9)

150 EZ

Total: 3900

Commentary:

The legs were still tired after yesterday's kick fest, and I started with the calf cramps on the last 4 "days." But this was a nice aerobic workout for me.

Woohoo:

I was very happy and relieved that the meet director found my 50 evil split in the time records. And here it is in the event rankings:

USMS Times Reported for Women SCM 50 Breast Ages 45-49
    2009 Season (2009-01-01 through 2009-12-31)

# Name Age Time Club Meet
    1 Livingston, Leslie C 48 37.62 GMUP New England LMSC SCM Championships

I have to say this gives me a huge chuckle. I've never cracked the Top Ten in evilstroke before. In fact, I'm not sure if I even did 10 lengths of evil kick in the last year ...

When converted to yards, it's a 33.4 -- .7 faster than I went tapered in yards earlier this year and 1.4 faster than I swam at the Sprint Classic in October. I swam this event at NE Champs in 2007 and went 41.5. No idea what the cause of my evilstroke success is (although I know the pre-pullout dolphin kick helps me) ... I suspect it's the suit. Q thinks it's the squats. Whatever it is, I may just retire on top if/when the suits are banned. lol

It's also good to know that in my gridge re-match with Stud, I out-touched him by .07 after he crushed me at the Sprint Classic in this event. Of course, he had not yet donned the magic stretched out B70 at this point ... But that was the same scenario when we squared off at the SC.

I also see that the final LCM TTs were released, and my 200 back and 100 fly from the USA meets that were omitted from the prelim list were included. So all is happy in Fortland this December.

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  4. Short Rest --Eek! Mon., Dec. 21

by , December 21st, 2009 at 05:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Though I was feeling a bit thrashed from my fairly intense gym workout yesterday, I had planned a short rest kick set and stuck to the plan. Ouch!

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF

Main sets:

Kick set:
    16 x 100 dolphin kick w/MF, done as:

4 x 100 @ 1:20 w/board
    50 EZ
    4 x 100 @ 1:15 w/board
    50 EZ
    4 x 1:10 @ 1:10, no board, on back (8-9 SDKs per 25)
    50 EZ
    4 x 100 @ 1:05, no board, on back (8-9 SDKs per 25) (made 3 -- :58, 1:02, 1:05, missed last one)
    50 EZ

Drill sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = evil, long pullouts
    evens = single arm fly

50 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:05
    odds = slow evil kick working on keeping knees together
    evens = evil pull w/pull buoy

150 EZ

Total: 4000

10 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This kick set was, er, hard. In the last 4, the lungs were willing, but the legs were protesting. They were pretty sore from the gym and I cramped on the very last one. I'm not used to doing sets like this (well, obviously). The trick is, I think, not to start off too fast on the first one so that you can continue to make the interval?

I'm doing more dolphin kick with a board than usual b/c I'm still hoping to improve my fly kick and fly kick endurance. The SDK is very specific, I think. On the belly for fly, and on back for back ... I'm definitely slower kicking with a board then swimming underwater. So that 2nd set on the 1:15 wasn't all that easy either.

I'm hoping to go to my team practice tomorrow for freestyle night. Hoping there won't be any hard kick sets. lol. Might try to squeeze in the P90X plus ab DVD beforehand, if I can find time despite my long to do list.

It's still a bit of a traffic nightmare here. I had to bribe my son to take my daughter to the mall to shop b/c I couldn't stomach the traffic anymore (wholly apart from my mall avoidance syndrome).

Gluten Front:

I am not faring too well on trying to eliminate wheat completely from my diet. I know there is a difference between celiac disease and a gluten allergy, but the symptoms are the same. And the remedy seems the same: complete elimination of the offending substance. I was hoping that an intolerance might mean one could just cut back, but that doesn't seem so ... And, I've eaten quite a few xmas cookies ...

I know the elimination and re-test is probably the best way to determine this allergy. (Though I did do another test.) I just read that you need to adjust your diet for 6 weeks to completely get the wheat/lactose out of your system. I guess I'm going to have to try this whole heartedly after Xmas. It's incredibly annoying. As I told Q, gluten-free products taste like sawdust.

Updated December 21st, 2009 at 09:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sunday, Dec. 20

by , December 20th, 2009 at 04:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

Had a blizzard; completely snowed in. No working out. Instead, I had a marathon baking and wrapping session with a nice warm fire going all day. We watched The Hangover later -- pretty funny.

Sunday:

After shoveling out, and having some main roads plowed, my son and I ventured to the gym. This was his first real time driving in snowy/slushy/icey conditions, but he did a good job for a rookie and I didn't freak out. lol. Having grown up in MN, I can't stand the way people drive here in the snow.

Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    iron monkeys w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    russian twist on incline bench, w/25 lb plate, 3 x 25
    hanging reverse crunch, 2 x 15

rack chins, 2 x 15
    body rows, 2 x 15
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 3 x 15
    box jumps on 18 inch box, 2 x 15
    P90X squat X press, 15 DBs x 2 x 25
    overhead squat w/bar, 2 x 10 (felt tired on these and had trouble getting low enough)
    deadlift, 115 x 1 x 3, 135, x 1 x 3, 145 x 2 x 3 (felt weak on these too)
    single arm standing lat pulldown, 50 x 2 x 15, each arm
    snatch and windmill, 20 x 2 x 10, each arm*

lateral box jumps over bench with hands on bench -- tabata style, 5 rounds, 20 seconds fast, 10 seconds rest.**

* = [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG8W10bu9M&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- 135Lb windmill for reps[/ame]
    (This is a difficult exercise, but one I think really helps with core, strength, balance and stability. I like this one and will keep it.)

** This was a b*tch. I'm going to approach the tabata training slowly, trying different exercises. I'm somewhat amazed that Crazyman can keep this up with different combos of exercises for 45 minutes. (Not sure exactly how much rest he was getting between exercises.)

RC work:

scapular wall slides, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    prone scapular scruches, 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    3 point arm extensions, 3 x 2 x 15

Bike:

Did a rather pokey 30 minutes on my bike while watching football.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I have definitely lost some raw strength and strength endurance after my 3 week taper. I guess this will come back gradually. I need to get out my power wheel again as well.

I'd like to get to the pool this week. My gym pool was closed today -- I'm sure the snow damaged the bubble. I wouldn't be surprised if school was cancelled the next couple days. Many side roads are a huge mess still. (edit: school is cancelled the entire week.)

On the upside, I got to sleep in late, which is always fantastic. :bed

SCY to SCM Conversions:

Just of curiosity, I converted a few of my SCY times to SCM using the Great Bay Masters converter to see how I fared:

http://www.greatbaymasters.org/convert.html

27.9 SCY 50 back = 31.8 SCM
    (I went 31.1)

27.0 SCY 50 fly = 29.95
    (I went 29.69)

1:02.8 SCY 100 back = 1:11.7
    (I went 1:09.5)

1:01.3 SCY 100 fly = 1:08.8
    (I was slower at 1:09.8, but I didn't swim it tapered unlike my SCY 100 fly)

24.90 SCY 50 free = 28.17
    (I went 28.2 w/crap turn)

100 IM SCY 1:04.11 = 1:12.2
    (I went 1:11.5)

Given this, and assuming same suits, I should be due for some minor improvements in SCY. But without high tech suits, who knows?

By way of comparison, I saw that KPN swam a 1:01 100 SCY fly (USA suit) a week after swimming a 1:03.9 WR (rubber suit) in SCM. Maybe she was just tired from back to back meets, but this is a lot of variation for a skinny chick.

Updated December 20th, 2009 at 06:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning
  6. Stole Ande's Workout, Friday, Dec. 18

by , December 18th, 2009 at 03:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Stole and modified Ande's workout from the other day.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

32 x 25 fly @ :10-:15 RI
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = easy speed fly w/7 SDKs

16 x 50 evil
    1-8 @ 1:05 w/pull buoy, focusing on fast recovery
    9-16 @ 1:00 w/MF, focusing on hunching and hinging

8 x 100 back-dolphin kick w/MF Dolphina (can hardly call it backstroke kick these days), done as:

1-3 hypoxic 100s @ 1:30, 9 SDKs per 25
    extra 30 seconds rest
    4 = fast @ 85-90%, went :50.
    5 = easy
    6-8 = hypoxic 100s @ 1:30, 9 SDKs per 25

4 x 200 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 2:45

100 EZ

Total: 4000
    1800 kicking

Commentary:

I was, as anticipated, a bit sore from the gym, but not unduly so. Hammies were sore from all the squats.

In terms of swimming, I plan to work on technique, hypoxic work, kicking, and general aerobic conditioning for the next couple weeks. I don't feel much like banging out a lot of AFAP or test sets at the moment. I'm alway like that after a big taper/travel meet. Think I'm still mentally and physically tired. I often wonder whether it would just be better to do nothing for the week after a big multi-day event. I suspect it would, though I'm always anxious to get back to training. And, as Patrick, has noted, you can lose strength and conditioning very quickly at my age.

I watched the SCY Nats on the DVR last night. Dana Vollmer has great turns and SDKs in fly.

I spent all afternoon at a class holiday party and have a high school meet tonight. Who's going to go get the milk and toilet paper before the big storm?

I like swimming in the afternoon so much better than the morning ...

Gluten/Lactose Update:

After diligently avoiding these foods for awhile, the symptoms ebbed substantially. I didn't even feel 3 months pregnant for a change! lol However, I then ate some pizza and a couple chocolate macaroons as a "test." Ugh, immediate return of full panoply of symptoms. It's so hard to avoid both of these items all the time ... And tomorrow is another xmas cookie day ...

Tech Suits:

Read this on the forum re: timing of FINA ruling:

"It is anticipated that the Bureau will approve this recommendations, but often these "rule changes" have 60-day implementation period (so it could be mid-March or later) or FINA could decide to implement as soom as practical or they could wait for the end of the FINA season (31-Dec-2010).

[FINA could surprise everyone and not apply these new swimwear rules to Masters, then the current swimwear would be allowed ].

Once FINA make a formal decision about Masters swimwear, then USMS will react. First, to comply with FINA rules for swimwear in meters (SCM and LCM) event. Second, they will decide when or if to apply these rules to SCY, as FINA does not recognize this format.

At convention, the house of delegate was split on what makes sense for USMS with SCY (waiting for the end of a SCY season or implementing quickly)."

Sounds like a lot of wiggle room in there. Seems like there could be a sort grace period of sorts before the tech suits are eliminated. Personally (no surprise here), I hope that USMS decides to keep them for the remainder of the SCY season.

Updated December 18th, 2009 at 04:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Back to the Gym, Thurs., Dec. 17

by , December 17th, 2009 at 06:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Was tempted to run again today, but the ungodly cold weather is dissuading me. So I went to the gym mid afternoon. I hate re-starting weights/drylands after a long taper ... You're always so sore at first ... But they're worth it; I always feel more alive and fit after drylands.

I warmed up with a 1 mile jog on the treadmill. I would have done more, but I didn't have my running shoes on, and I'm extremely paranoid about running in old shoes.

Drylands:

rack chins, 2 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 30 x 2 x 25
    overhead squats w/45 lb bar, 45 x 2 x 15
    squat swings w/15 lb weight, 3 x 15
    P90X X press squats w/12.5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    seated narrow grip row, 80 x 2 x 10, done very slowly
    dumbbell shrugs, 20 x 2 x 20
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 DBs x 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 15

windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    twisting med ball slam, 2 x 15
    push ups, 3 x 15
    superman bananas, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    hanging straight leg circles, 2 x 10, one set each direction (these are hard)
    broomstick twists, 1 x 25

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25

10-15 minutes of stretching

Commentary & Dryland Planning:

I'm trying to settle on a dryland program for the next few months. I'd like to focus on strength and athleticism, not just strength (or "gorilla" strength -- but you go Elise!), which has been my principle focus the last year and half.

My tentative plan is to:

1. Continue my core work.

2. Continue some weights, but not with a focus on max or heavy weight (need a break).

3. Possibly keep just a couple of exercises where I do focus on max strength 1x week. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward keeping the deadlift.

4. Continue plyometrics. I've really enjoyed addings these the last couple months and think they help my starts and walls. I'd like to do: (a) the intense plyos at the gym, (b) some endurance based plyos such as on the P90X videos, and (c) tabata interval plyos.

5. Think about doing the couple heavier lifting exercises very slowly. Had a convo with a friend who swears he was the strongest ever when he did this. And the slower lifting would be a nice contrast to #6 below.

6. Add some tabata based dryland training. I think I'll have to ease back in for awhile before I begin this. But it sounds appealing to me and likely beneficial for sprinting. For those who think sprinters are wimpy, this has been described as: "the fastest route to the pain cave known to man." I think one could do tabata intervals with with following drylands: ball slams, squat thrusts, thrusters, pushups, burpees, box jumps, lunges, squat jacks or these: http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining#module11685119. So this is sort of drylands on steroids. It's somewhat similar to the CF "5 rounds for time" concept, except this is more anaerobic.

Here are some links re: tabata training:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI"]YouTube- Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/ame]
    (I like the exercise selected for the swim video demo.)

http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining

http://crmstelemark.blogspot.com/200...pain-cave.html

http://www.wellsphere.com/wellpage/i...ining-workouts

Exercise Question:

Can this one possibly be OK for the shoulder? The touted benefits sound impressive.

http://www.crossfitportland.com/archives/162

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG8W10bu9M"]YouTube- 135Lb windmill for reps[/ame]

Breaststroke Links:
    (for future reference and to actually read)

http://www.breaststroke.info/grotebreast.htm

http://breastroker.tripod.com/Santos.htm

http://www.breaststroke.info/Maximiz...eaststroke.htm

http://www.breaststroke.info/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-KEtY4WhM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- phelps---breaststroke[/ame]

Updated December 18th, 2009 at 09:06 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  8. Wed., Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2009 at 04:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Couldn't decide whether to swim or run today. The weather decided it for me -- it was freezing and I couldn't quickly find my running gloves and hat. Stole and modified Geekity's workout from the other day. Was in aerobic mode throughout, with extensive use of fins and MF.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

2 x (3 x 150 kick) @ 2:00 w/MF-Dolphina
    #1 = dolphin kick w/board
    #2 = dolphin kick on back, 7 SDKs per 25
    #3 = double shooter on back + 50 easy kick + double shooter on back

50 EZ

5 x 100 evil w/MF @ 2:00
    working on long pullouts & hinging
    went 1:13-14

6 x (5 x 50), w/fins, done as:

# 1 free
    1-3 @ :40
    4-5 @ :35

#2 back
    1-3 @ :50
    4-5 @ :45

#3 free kick w/board

#4 backstroke kick
    1-3 @ :45
    4-5 @ :40

#5 evil
    1-3 @ :45
    4-5 @ :40

#6 dolphin kick w/board

50 EZ

5 x 100 fly drills @ 2:15, done as:
    25 lead arm body dolphin + 25 single arm fly + 25 shooter + 25 EZ DAB

50 EZ

Total: 4250

Commentary:

I'm still tired from the meet, so I didn't do anything fast. Still, felt like a good aerobic workout with lots of kicking. The first real workout after taper is always a kick in the ass.

SCM Comparison from 2008 to 2009:
    (same suit -- B70, except for 2008 100 fly)

2008:

50 free: 28.5
    50 fly: 29.99/30.7
    100 fly: 1:12.1
    50 back: 31.7
    100 back: 1:11.7
    100 IM: 1:11.8

2009:

50 free: 28.2
    50 fly: 29.6
    100 fly: 1:09.8
    50 back: 31.1
    100 back: 1:09.5
    100 IM: 1:11.5
    50 evil: 37.6
    (previous time from 2007 = 41.5)

Had a really kick ass salad today for lunch: romaine, grilled chicken, flax seeds, pomegranate arils, red quinoa, avocado, yellow & red peppers, blueberries, mushrooms. Quinoa doesn't taste so bad, Q, with a nice oil & vinegar dressing.

Possible 2010 Meets:

March 20, 2010
    ANCM Albatross Open, SCM
    Montgomery Aquatic Center,
    Bethesda, MD

April 23-25, 2010
    CZ Champs @ GMU
    Fairfax, VA
    Order of Events:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf (same as last year and no built in breaks for the women's side of the pool. )

May 20 - 23, 2010
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Georgia Tech Aquatic Center
    Atlanta, GA
    Order of Events: http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/events.php

I am actually, for once, not terrifically disturbed by the order of events for SCY Nats. May have to commence negotiations to go to that meet. This could be in exchange for agreeing to do a B2B relay, I think ...

Updated December 16th, 2009 at 06:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 50 back vid from NE Champs

by , December 15th, 2009 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    50 back, 31.14

Stud took this 50 back vid with my mini digital. I wish I had had some other races taped, but just forgot in the excitement of the meet on day 2.

I was in lane 5, flanked by 25 and 29 year old Elizabeth Mancuso and Jessica Knight. I knew their seed times were inaccurate, as they went 31+ last year. So I knew the race would be close and it was. And they both had very good underwaters as well. I notice that they both had somewhat splashier backstroke kicks than me. Mike Ross and I briefly discussed this issue. He's working on keeping his bottom half very very still while swimming and keeping the amplitude of his flutter kick and knee bend minimal. I think I won just as much with my stroke as my SDK perhaps ...

I see from the video that I did the same breakout as the Sprint Classic where I pop my head out of the water ala Aquaman. This was a mental error. I simply forgot to lean back with my shoulders and head. I also tucked my chin too much on the start. Need to keep my head up and back a bit more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube- Fort SCM 50 back[/ame]

My turnover looked slower to me than in August at Indy, but Q says this is OK.

Dara Surgery:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...l?tag=facebook

50 breast split:

Even though my 50 evil split is seemingly missing from the official MM (meet manager) results, it is still retrievable since it appeared on the scoreboard. My brilliant coach sent me the following email on how to retrieve splits from the Colorado timing system:

"But have no fear, if it showed up on the scoreboard I bet it's on the Colorado printout. The final times print out in easy to read columns but the splits don't.
    Every hit to the touchpad during the race is recorded sequentially so if you follow a line across and you know the event, heat and lane you swam in you can find the time that displayed when you touched the touchpad for the first time.

It looks like this 5) 2 25.25 3) 2 25.48 1) 2 25.50 5) 4 53.79 1) 4 54.91
    so for this heat lane 5 2nd length 50 split was a 25.25, and 100 split was a 53.79. Lane 3 50 split was a 25.48 etc.

Most meets print out the Colorado printouts during the meet and staple them to the results so it should be easy for the meet director to find. If they didn't print them out, they are still stored on the Colorado and can be printed out anytime."

I forwarded this to Ed Gendreau, the meet director. So hopefully, he will take the time to pull my split since I did submit an official request.

What's Next?

Ande always asks, "what's next?" And I'm not really sure. I'm going to revise my training for a couple months to do more aerobic /endurance work in the pool and gym and lots and lots of kicking (not that the latter is different). I'm going to use my MF more and really work on my belly SDKs. I'm much faster on my back than my belly, and would like to fix this discrepancy.

I am declining Patrick's probably tongue in cheek suggestion to remake myself into a mid distance geek. However, I may try to focus on the 100 back, 100 fly, 100 IM more this season than just pure 50s.

I'm completely up in the air about what meets to attend this year. I'd like to have a taper meet in SCY that is not Zones, since my team is hosting again this year. But I'm not sure about Atlanta. I have a yen to possibly go to Middlebury in June for the LCM meet, which would then make my summer worry free. However, attending travel meets in both May and June would not go over so well at home. For sure, I plan to swim at the Albatross meet on March 20.

As for the gym, can anyone suggest exercises to build up endurance in the lats and delts and terres muscles?

Exercise:

I may take another day off, as I'm tired and uber busy. Or, if I get all jazzed up, I may try the new P90X ab/core Plus DVD.

Fortina:

BTW, I forgot to mention that I wore Fortina for my 100 IM and 50 breast. Liked it, and will do so again! Though I suspect Fortina also contributed to me going out too fast in the 100 IM. My coach said my 100 IM and 100 back should be about the same, and my 100 IM was 2 seconds slower. Part of this must be mental -- I'm just not used to sucking it up and swimming through the pain on the last length of free.

Updated December 15th, 2009 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning
  10. Day 2 NE Champs

by , December 14th, 2009 at 01:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    For Sunday, I did have 3 secret goals and I got them all. First, I wanted to go faster in the 50 fly than last year when my time trial was thrown out. Second, I had one stretch goal of going under 1:10 in the 100 back. And, third, I wanted to do a fast 50 evil split and possibly make top ten in that event. Here's how it went:

50 fly, 29.6

This was my first head to head race against KPN. We were in lanes 5 and 6. She got me on the start and breakout. I caught up in the second length and had a great last 15 yards. Couldn't see the wall clearly and short stroked the finish. She got me by .08. Cheryl Kupan said I should have glided in and would have won. Greg Shaw said it wasn't clear. I have trouble picking up the wall when I'm not breathing and my head's down. But I was super happy with the time. Hopefully, Q won't be disappointed as he instructed me to be mid 29.

100 back, 1:09.5:

I always get nervous swimming 100 back in SCM b/c it's so much longer and painful. But I just reminded myself to go out faster and kick. I think I executed pretty well. Earlier this year, I went 1:10.9, going out in 34.9 and back in 36.0. This time, I went out in 33.5 and came back in the same time. So my entire improvement came from not dogging the first 50. I pretty much stuck to my kick pattern, except that I jammed the second turn, was way too close to the wall, and had trouble getting into kick mode. So I SDK'd 14-13-10-10 per 25. I was really happy with my time as my one stretch goal for this meet was to go under 1:10 and it's a 1.4 second improvement. Comparatively, I went 1:13.9 at the meet in 2007. The SDK work has paid off and I feel like I redeemed myself after that sub par cramp filled 100 back at LCM Nats.

50 breast, 37.6:

I submitted a split request and did the 50 evil as part of the 100 evil. I rocked my pullouts, had good breakouts and hit the pad at 37.6. I was so psyched! I was hoping for a high 38. So this was a huge surprise. A friend just pointed out that this is currently the #1 time in the nation in my age group. Shocker. lol Chris S. said I was fairly close to the 15 meter mark on my first pullout. The less evil stroking, the better! I think this roughly converts to a 33.5, so this is .6 faster than my Zone Record in the 50 evil from last April.

I may retire from evil after the suits are gone, however. I think they help me on evil relatively more than other strokes because I have such a weak breaststroke kick. I discussed this with Mike Ross and Mike Schmidt of ME masters. Mike S. improved his IMs by doing 500 yards of evil kicking in practice. Breaststroke is such an exhausting power stroke that it seems the only way to improve is doing more of it.

I am slightly worried about my split request though, as I don't see the split listed in the results. I hope this is just a printing error, as everyone saw my time on the scoreboard and I clearly hit the pads hard. I have sent an email.

50 free, 28.2:

I was very tired, but decided to give the 50 free another go, as I missed the turn on Saturday. Same result: had a lousy turn again and did the same time. I just can't pick up the bulkhead at this pool for free. Still, for my 7th swim of a two day meet, this was a good time. I didn't have any energy left for a 100 free anyway.

Commentary:

I was thrilled to do 6 PBs. If I could have one do over it might be 50 back. I would have loved to go 30.9. But that is really nit picking, as 31.1. is very speed and likely comparable to my 27.9 in yards and 31.99 in meters.

I may use Chris' ratings calculator later to see what my percentages are. Just have too much to do right now. And, predictably, I'm very tired from the meet. I will not be hitting the pool today. Just resting. And back to the shopping.

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 09:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  11. Day 1 NE SCM Champs

by , December 13th, 2009 at 11:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    NE Champs, Day 1:

Had an easy trip to Boston and even slept decently Friday night! Had a good Saturday, going 3 PBs:

100 IM, 1:11.5

Last year, I went a 1:11.8 at Rutgers (which was a very huge and unexpected drop). This year, I improved .3 on that. Since I only swim the 100 IM twice a year and don't swim it in practice, I'm happy with the time, though not the execution. My "plan" had been to improve on my second 50. (Last year, I was out in 32.7.) Er, I didn't really do this. This year, I was out in 31.9 and totally died on free. (Ande will say this is pathetic when he reads this.) My freestyle seems to fall apart when I'm tired. Chris S. noted that my turnover looked like I was swimming a 400 IM instead of a 100 IM ... lol. He also noted, as I have mentioned before, that my breakout on fly was a bit rocky. I'm not sure how to fix this without going off the blocks more ... I felt like this was a bit of a "getting the cobwebs out" swim, as is common for me on the first event of a meet.

To improve in this event, I need to do 3 thing according to me and Coach Ahelee: (1) work on turns; (2) swim the 100 IM more than once in SCY and SCM; and (3) swim 100 IMs in practice. One year, I'll actually focus on this event. But, hey, a PB is a PB!

50 back, 1st place, 31.1:

Last year, I went 31.7. I was seeded first here in Boston, and really hoped to win. And I did, coming in at 31.1! .6 drop -- which is a big drop in a 50. Probably due to better underwaters. I felt a little bouncy above water. Stud took a video of this race, so hopefully I'll post that soon.

50 free, 28.2

Best time! Last year, I went 28.5. However, I had difficulty on the bulkhead. I went into the turn just a touch behind the leaders and came out 2/3 of a body length behind. Completely blew the turn, too far from the wall. This is somewhat SOP for me on bulkheads. I can only think of 1 50 free in short course where I have nailed the turn on a bulkhead (Auburn where I went 24.9 in SCY). Otherwise, as Wolfy has noted, I'm a bit challenged in this area. This led me to think I may boycott short course 50 frees. Why bother with a flip turn? Long course 50 free is so much better. But, again, I am always happy with a PB and will take it!

Commentary:

I had a fun day at the meet. Stud attended and was burning up the water. A highlight for me was loaning him my uber stretched out B70, which he used for his 200 evil and 50 free. He had previously swum the 50 evil in his cute British flag brief and gone a PB. I video'd all 3 of his races and took pics. So hopefully I'll get those up soon. Or maybe he'll even put them on his blog. He really swam extremely well, and I'm proud of him. Couple pics attached.

I got to meet forumites Gigi and Swimmer Girl KT, who are both lovely and fast. (Thank you, Gigi, for helping me with my cap.) Re-met Greg Shaw, who is not only a fly stud, but the nicest guy ever. Mike Ross and I discussed sprinting, weight lifting, backstroke and joining Maine Masters. (He and Mike Schmidt (who is sooo nice) and Son N. seem to be recruiting. Wow, did they have a big contingent here.) I got to see Chris rip off some very fast times/WRs sans B70. And I scored some ultra swag from Rob Butcher -- two awesome dry fit USMS short sleeved collared shirts. He says more forumites must come to his meets to collect swag.

On the whole, the BU pool is fast and it's warm on the pool deck. But the bulkhead, with all those Xs before the turn, confounds me. Glad I'm not really a pure freestyler. I think I have a slight preference for the Rutgers pool where they hosted CZ in 2007 and 2008. But I didn't have any outside lanes, so that was good.

Good first day, happy with all my times. My turnover, however, felt a bit off. Stud noticed this on the 50 free too. I wonder if this was due to easing off on the sprinting too much during taper? Or maybe I have more power/less turnover from lifting? I did feel like I was getting off the blocks quickly and had power on non-free turns. If I had to do it over again, I might do more fast 12.5s and 25s the last 2 weeks. And I need to practice more race pace turns.

I went out to dinner with Stud and some friends from Maine Masters (can I say I adore and admire Cheryl Kupan for her grace and toughness?). Then slept like crap last night, tossing and turning from 3-7. Par for the course after caffeine. I swam better on day 2, but am too tired to write that up right now, having just gotten back from Boston.

Does anyone remember that I commented long ago that the compression tights and socks sold in tri/bike stores would find a use in swimming? Well, they have! KPN puts them on after meets and while traveling to reduce muscle fatigue. She had a fantastic meet BTW.

On an allergy note, I stopped at Whole Foods to get some dinner on the way to my hotel on Friday night. Not sure what I ate, either the WF salads (biryani salad/w veggies and a bean salad) or a gluten-free granola bar with soy and possible milk. But I had a huge hive attack that night. Not cool. The rice krispie bars with malt didn't bother me at all. Thank goodness! I was very hungry before my last event both days. And I was lusting after pizza when Chris ate some in front me me today. I'm also lusting after his cool Kindle ereader device!

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 10:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010833.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	6322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010834.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	6323  
  12. Last swim before Boston, Thurs., Dec. 10

by , December 10th, 2009 at 06:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    200 fly drills

Other Stuff:

8 x 25 shooters
    odds = on back
    evens = on belly

8 x 25
    odds= easy speed fly
    evens = easy

25 dolphin dive

2 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

25 dolphin dive

50 EZ

Total: 1450 meters

hottub & steam

Commentary:

Felt pretty good and loose. I'm as ready to go as I'll ever be. Just hoping to have an easy trip to Boston tomorrow. I'll miss some of the PV gang swimming at our one day local SCM meet. Good luck guys!

Now to pack. I'm the worst packer. I always forget something important. And I just realized my iphone charger does not appear to be working. But I have packed extra Fortinas, caps, new meet goggles (the latest speed sockets, which I favor), gluten-free snacks and wheat-free rice krispies, my inhaler (for that .001 it might give me, lol, actually I need it now b/c of the xmas tree) and my tech suit collection that will be no more: new fire sale B70, very old good luck B70 with hole, new Rocket Science suit that I couldn't return which was supposed to comply with standards that disappeared and my jinxed Jaked which has a lot of wears. (I might wear the jinxed suit for my free events or 50 fly. Def not on backstroke.). I'm actually looking forward to trying my brand new suit. They're always very zingy the first meet. Oh, and better pack ambien, before I read Jimby's upcoming article on its apparent horrors, so there is some slim chance for sleep.

It feels like centuries since I've been to the gym. lol Why Wolfy can probably lift more than me now. Not Patrick though.

Split request form?

Does anyone have a link for me to print out a couple? I assume they'll have them at the meets, but I'd like to have one handy. Can't recall where I pulled my last one from.

Updated December 10th, 2009 at 09:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9

by , December 9th, 2009 at 02:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    For a change of pace and to gage SDKs I wore my very old stretched out B70 with a teensy hole to practice today. Got it on in under a minute.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety

Main sets:

3 x (4 x 25, no fins)
    #1 = easy speed hypoxic shooter
    #2 = easy
    #3 = fast SDK to 15 meters, then cruise
    #4 = easy

On #1, I was kicking 16-17 x instead of my usual 20-21 in poly tank.
    On # 3, I was 14 SDKs to the 15 meter mark from a push. I'll take 13 on my starts this weekend.

This seems to not bode well for the transition to f'in kneeskins. Or maybe I'm just more rested than usual and therefore have a better DPK and it's not all B70 related. Geek is probably correct that I'll be bitter after I take my beloved suit off for perhaps the last time. I think I've been swimming in it longer than everyone but Ande. I've swum in it every meet I've competed in since June 2008 except for a couple USA meets.

50 EZ

4 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins
    Went high 22. Maybe 3/4-1 of a second faster than with poly tank.

150 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Couple of dives off the side with Fortina, the nose clip. I may use Fortina in my 100 IM this weekend.

Total: 1700

Commentary:

I need to get organized and print off all my meet info and start packing. Eney recommends that I "practice" rice crispie treat ingestion. I had thought I would just cab it around, but I may rent a car. And I seriously need to update my ipod. Any recommendations?

I felt pretty decent in the water today. Perhaps slightly sluggish from the massage yesterday, though it wasn't a deep tissue. Shoulder and knee are still slightly, but not unduly, twitchy. I'm not going to worry much about "feel." I felt wretched before Rutgers last year and swam well. I've certainly rested more than usual. This is definitely the longest I've been away from the gym for a taper (at least since I've become a gym rat).

Q just alerted me to the fact that my rice krispie bars from Whole Food, in fact, have gluten. Malt, an ingredient = gluten. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_g..._Rice_Krispies. This is not going to be easy. I'm just going to eat them anyway, whilst cutting back on other gluten products. It would seem like a tiny amount anyway ... I'll buckle down more after the meet. They're too tasty and efficient to pass up.

Updated December 9th, 2009 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday, Dec. 8

by , December 8th, 2009 at 10:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Couldn't get to the pool today. Was stuck at home waiting for a delivery. Then had a massage at 12:30. The rest of the day was taken up with kid activities and decorating the Xmas tree (another allergen, lol). (Speedo, I had Suzie today; she was pretty good, but I think Erica is better.) I apparently have tight calves, pecs and neck. No surprise, as I haven't stretched much this week and swimmers are known for their chronically tight necks.

I did do my RC exercises. The left shoulder is slowly coming around. I do have a little twinge in my right knee that I've had for awhile. Not sure, but I am thinking it is due to some of the Bikram yoga moves (sitting Japanese style and all the locking of the knees). I can't think what else could have triggered it ... I don't think it will effect anything, just noting it.

Q, I had a gluten free bagel with peanut butter today and it wasn't that bad. I think I'll bring some along to the meet along with my rice crispie bars.

As seen in the recent thread on the DF, I am actually considering doing a 200 fly. It seems that pulling is optional. Does anyone have any ideas about the right combination of kicking and swimming that would maximize speed, save the shoulders and be easiest? I might do it at this meet: http://www.pvswim.org/0910meet/10-31-ma.htm All us "13 & Overs" get to swim in the afternoon, so that's pretty sweet for me as the pool is not close.

Results from TYR SCM meet in Chicago:

http://www.tyrgrandprix.com/files/20...%20Results.htm

I think everyone has seen the LB and CZ results. I got bumped a couple spots in the 100 fly by speedsters AJ Block and Lisa Ward. I'm always amazed at people who can take their 100 fly out close to their 50 time and just keep going ... I can't do that at all. Of course, AJ and Lisa, are much more mid-D to D specialists.

Updated December 8th, 2009 at 11:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Meet Analysis + Swim, Monday, Dec. 7

by , December 7th, 2009 at 10:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

400 swim
    200 kick
    100 fly drills

Pre-set:

8 x 25 back shooters

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

2 x (4 x 25)
    #1 = long evil pullout
    #2 = no breather free with overkick
    #3 = burst free, fast to 15, then cruise
    #4 = front scull

50 EZ

Bit 'O Speed:

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins, 23.5-24
    cramped: why?! I've been resting the damn legs.

150 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2100

Commentary:

Felt OK in the water today, though not so much on my fast 25s free. I'm done looking at the clock till the meet except for maybe one fast 50 tomorrow. As Ande would say, I've been swimming fast in practice, I'll swim fast tomorrow and the next day and I'll trust my taper.

F'in Grrr:

Like Speedo, I'm f'in grrr about the GMUP masters situation. I got yet another email canceling all regular Thursday-Sunday practices again for yet another USA-S meet. "Make ups" -- which cannot possibly be construed as "make ups" as they are of a drastically different nature -- are at either 4:45 or 5:30 am. No one is happy. Many are letting their membership lapse. It's idiotic; they could easily let us come during open lap swim without additional cost to the facility. They are apparently trying to gouge us by insisting we join the facility for an extra $750 per year on top of our monthly masters fee. Uh, no thanks. I understand we are going to approach management in January. I think it's a mistake; it should be dealt with immediately before it becomes a pattern and practice in management's mind. I'm really ticked off. Also haven't had a single chance to practice starts for the meet. Last went off the block at the Sprint Classic. Oh well, I don't need to tire out the legs anyway; I'll just go with JimRude's thought that practicing starts is overrated. Of course, I think, unlike me, he must have a good one.

Meet Analysis:

Here are my thoughts on my upcoming events. I don't really have specific time goals (except I do like PBs, who doesn't?). I'm just going to swim fast and see what appears on the timing board. I've trained to be intense and aggressive; I'll just do that in the meet. I hope I can find a cup of coffee halfway through the meet both days. Jolt gum is not an equivalent (sorry Jimby).

100 IM, seeded 8th

Last year at Rutgers CZ meet, I blew away my previous 100 IM time by over three seconds. This was a breakthrough swim for me. My splits were 32.50/39.30 (1:11.80) -- appalling. Evil was a challenge and I was pretty dead on free. I'd like to improve on my second 50 split this year. I think I can do this because my breaststroke pullouts are faster with the dolphin kick done first. I will breath more on the first length of fly this time as well, and try and nail a big underwater on backstroke. (I remember seeing Ande do this to good effect in Austin.) Bring it home fast on free no matter how much it hurts; I have a ton of rest before 50 back. I'd be very happy with a PB or around the same time.

50 back, seeded 1st:

Last year, I went a 31.7 at the IGLA meet in June 2008. It was my first meet with the B70 and after I began lifting. I hope I can improve on this time. I should be able to, if all goes well, because my SDKs are much better (especially on the second 25) with Fortina. No need to think about this event -- 13-14 SDKs each length. Try to hit the finish hard and not glide in, as I am occasionally wont to do.

50 free, seeded 7th:

I went a 28.5 at Zones last year, which was a PB. I seeded myself at 28.7 b/c I thought that was time from last year. I should be able to equal or better this as I went a 28.5 in LCM this summer. But you never know with a 50 free b/c of the start & turn. I'm not fond of turning on bulkheads, so sometimes go awry there. If I do, I will swim my 100 free for a 50 free split on Sunday. Plan on 2 breaths. Probably 6-7 SDKs each length. Think kick.

50 fly, seeded 3rd:

Last year at Rutgers, I swam a 29.99 in the infamous time trial that didn't count despite being authorized by the meet director and referee. Someone reading my blog made an official complaint about it, which ticked me off incredibly and almost caused me to stop blogging. My official PB is therefore 30.7 from June 2008. I think I'm capable of going faster than 29.99, since I went a 29.7 in LCM this summer. That swim was a huge drop for me though, and might have been my best swim at Nats. I don't think BU is as fast as Indy either. But hopefully I'll be in that range. Everything depends on how you hit the turn and finish in this race. I plan 8-9 SDKs off each wall, perhaps less. 2 breaths. I'll try not to look this time. lol

100 back, seeded 1st:

My PB in this event is from the Albatross Meet last March. I was racing Lisa van Pelt-Diller, and it was a fun race. My time was 1:10.94 with splits of 34.92 and 36.02. Very close together -- basically an even split given my start. At the time, I was trying to implement Jim Thornton's 100 free plan: strong fast first 50, hold or ease up slightly on the 3rd 25 and then barrel into the turn and bring it home. I did have a great last length, but probably should have taken it out faster.

I have a habit of being too conservative on the first 50 of a 100 back. I can honestly say I've never taken it out too fast. I guess the fear of paralysis stops me. However, I have recently heard the following advice: "Take it out fast and die; it's better than taking it out slow and dying" "You can't get back that first 50." "It's a 100, why are you dogging the first 50?" So I can only conclude this is evidence of my wimpy sprinterdom. So I plan to take it out somewhat faster.

As far as SDKs go, I'm going to take Quick's advice and think of it as a 50 swim/50 kick. I think I'll likely be gassed on the last 25, but I'd still like to swim it this way. (Last time, without Fortina, I didn't take as many SDKs, though the ones I did take won the race for me.) I'm thinking either 13-13-13-10 or 13-13-10-13. Thoughts?

50 evil:

Doing this as a split request on a 100 evil. My one and only SCM 50 breast was at NE Champs in 207 where I went a 41.52. Given that I went a 34.1 in yards at Zones in April, I'd like to be in the high 38 range. That might even crack TT. It all depends on my start. I have to avoid going too deep and flutter kicking to the surface. I've been working on this in practice by pulling up on the pulldown instead of straight ahead. I'd like to stay underwater as long as possible each 25, and then muscle my way though the swim. If no one scratches during positive check in, I'll be in an end lane. Yuck at BU.

100 free:

I seeded myself at 1:20, as I wanted to have the option of going for a 50 free split in this event. And, if I need to, I will. But I've decided that I will probably swim it as a 100 free. I haven't swum the 100 free in SCM since NE Champs in 2007, when I went a very slow 1:06.0. I recall feeling absolutely awful in that race. It was my first race of the day and was definitely a "shake the cobwebs off" swim. I recall Stud saying my arms were moving very slowly. Not desirable, as I am usually known for my fast turnover. If I do swim the 100 free, I'm going to make an effort to take it out somewhat faster than usual. (At Zones, I almost even split this event as a hard warm up.) I figure I can die like a dog on the last event of the meet. I have an end lane for this event as well, unless others don't show. Of course, it is perfectly forseeable that I will be too tired to want to die like a dog.

Updated December 7th, 2009 at 11:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sunday, Dec. 6

by , December 6th, 2009 at 11:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

8 x 25 shooters

Main set:

4 x through:

100 back or back kick (2 each) @ 2:00
    50 hypoxic back, breath at turn
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy
    25 AFAP free + 25 easy

4 x 25
    1-3 = long evil pullouts
    4 = AFAP back
    I forgot Fortina on the last back, and it was absolutely dreadful and appalling. I never want to swim back without Fortina. Can't stand the sensation of water rushing into my nose anymore. So now I'm a Fortina addict.

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2100 meters

hottub + steam

Commentary:

Took, yesterday off as usual. Jeez, I think I swam 6 days last week since I was deprived of other forms of exercise. lol Better to be in the water more during taper anyway.

My free felt pretty good today. I'm really working on keeping my head still when I sprint. I need to do an event analysis, but I'm too lazy this late at night after a busy meet filled weekend. I like CS's list of goals, though I think my own might be slightly more moderate this time around. I've been doing all PBs at my taper meets lately, and don't think this trend can continue much longer/indefinitely. (Sorry, Wolfy.)

On an up note, Mini Fort's high school team won both their meets. I like high school meets -- it's more about racing than times and depth matters so everyone can score points. Mini rocks in the 200 IM ... if only she could even remotely do backstroke ...

Made it through day 2 of the no lactate no gluten diet. I'm wondering about WTF I'm going to eat at the meet next weekend. I think there must be one of those potentially offensive products in virtually every consumable I would typically eat during a meet ... GU is probably bad. I may have to energy bars, GU and gatorade anyway. I was checking my Endura sports drink, which has malodextrin. I have to see whether that has some lactose product in it ... Here's a good list a friend sent me: http://www.traderjoes.com/attachments/NoGluten.pdf

It's been fun watching the results come in from Long Beach. Such fast swimming there, it's unbelievable. Hoping all my friends did well at their meets too.

I have been too tired/busy/lazy to do my RC exercises for 3 days ... Not a good thing. Oh well.

Updated December 7th, 2009 at 10:07 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Friday, Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2009 at 06:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Like Chris, I was tired today after some insomnia last night. So I did the following mellow work out, which did not include any sprint work:

Swim/SCM/Solo @ hot gym pool:

Warm up:

700 variety

Aerobic Sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
    odds = single arm fly
    evens = backstroke kick

40 x 25 @ :20 RI (pace clocks weren't synchronized)

#1-10:
    odds = shooter on back
    evens = long evil pullout

#11-20:

odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

#21-30

odds = shooter on back
    evens = long evil pullout

#31-40:
    odds = front scull
    evens = no breather free with overkick

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2600 meters

Commentary:

Felt OK, but the temperature of the pool makes it hard to get a read on "feel." So I largely ignored that issue, and concentrated on streamlining and such.

Funny moment: There was a new middle aged lifeguard at the gym. After my work out, he approached me and warned: "I know you're a really good swimmer and all, but that underwater work is dangerous. It was all the rage years ago and varsity swimmers started passing out after practice. You better back off on that." Well, I wasn't sure what to say. I assured him that it was, once again, the "rage" and that it was just a normal part of my training. (I didn't even do that much hypoxic work today!) He clearly didn't believe me and tried again to dissuade me from doing it. lol

I've decided, starting today, to do a 2 week no gluten, no dairy products test to see if I feel any better. As I understand it, 2 weeks is an adequate period to make a preliminary assessment. I realize it's not wise to change one's diet before a meet, but I don't feel like I have any other choice. Now, I have to figure out what I'm going to eat for carbs. And I was happy to know that hemp protein is gluten free, so at least I wasn't potentially poisoning myself with that! But what am I going to do about my chip addiction?!?!

I'm excited to see the results come in from Long Beach, NY, Chicago, Charlotte and Atlanta. Wishing everyone fast swimming!

I saw some very fast swimming at the Tom Dolan meet today. I was bummed for my friend Wally Dicks, who pulled a groin muscle and had to scratch his breaststroke events. He hopes to swim at the masters meet at Wilson High School next weekend. I saw Kate Zeigler swim a leisurely 200 free. And the NOVA girls are ripping it up.

Speaking of fast, I heard KPN went for a 50 fly split in her 200 IM and swam a 29.4. I think she wants that WR back!

I'm heading to my first high school swim meet later. Start time: 8:30 pm. Seemed kinda late. Among other things, Mini Fort is swimming the 200 IM. I think the poor kid will be doing this every meet, just like I did in high school. And she absolutely hated the knee skin she had to wear this am. Said it cut off circulation in her thighs. Something to look forward to ...

Updated December 4th, 2009 at 08:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Thursday, Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2009 at 05:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety

Aerobic Set:

4 x (4 x 50) @ 1:05
    4 of each stroke
    done: drill, kick, swim, hypoxic
    (did fly & back as double shooters)

50 EZ

Kick Set:

6 x 100 kick @ 2:30, no SSLSs
    odds = CS lungbusters w/UW shooters on the 1st & 3rd 25s
    evens = flutter kick w/board, 1st & 3rd 25 fast

100 EZ

Speed Set:

8 x 50 @ 1:15
    evens = 25 AFAP free w/SSLSs + 25 EZ
    odds = 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ

I then dashed out of the pool, didn't even take a shower or warm down to get home in time to take Mini Fort to an earlier swim practice today. And when I got home I was informed her coach told her to skip practice today since she's swimming in the Dolan meet tomorrow am. She coulda texted me ...

Total: 2300

Commentary:

I'm surprisingly tired from such a short workout. Jeez. On my way to fat and out of shape, for sure.

The taper bitchies have obviously set in. Or it could be combo of taper bitchies and AF.

I just screamed at the computer, screamed at lazy son, developed a grievance against Mr. Fort, and cursed the fact that high school swim meets begin at 8:30 pm. 8:30 pm?!?! Mini Fort has the Dolan meet at GMU and high school meets on Friday and Saturday nights, so it will be a busy weekend. I hope there is no drama b/c she is out of swimming shape and not wearing a fancy tech suit. In fact, she's lucky I loaned her my USA-compliant TYR to swim in.

All GMU masters practices are once again cancelled this weekend due to the meet. "Make ups" are at 4:45 and 5:30 am. I don't think this constitutes a comparable service under its contract with the masters team; nor do others.

I had my first omelet without cheese today, and that did not sit well with me either.

I'm sure I'll think of something else to complain about before the evening ends. (Oh yeah, I still have to do my stupid RC exercises. Blech.)

On an up note, I am apparently sleeping better than Chaos. Though his travails sound familiar.

I also wanted to add a couple links that Crazyman left a couple days ago that some might find interesting re: tabata interval training

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...bata-Intervals

http://www.beach-fitness.com/

Updated December 3rd, 2009 at 06:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Z-Z-Z-Z-Z, Wed., Dec.2

by , December 2nd, 2009 at 04:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 variety

Aerobic/Hypoxic Work:

3 x (3 x 100) @ 2:00
    drill, kick, swim doing fly, back, evil

I attempted to kick a 100 evil on my back to work on keeping my knees close together. Pathetic! I could move faster doing a front scull with pinky fingers only ...

20 x 25 @ :35 w/SSLSs
    4 belly
    4 let side
    4 right side
    4 back
    4 twirling

50 EZ

Speed Work:

1 x 100 back, broken at 50, 15 seconds rest, with SSLSs

1st 50 = 24.5ish
    2nd 50 = 26ish

250 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ), trying to keep head down and very still

6 x 25 fast evil pullouts, cruise to wall

The purpose of this is to spend as much time as humanly possible underwater riding the glide so that I avoid the need to evil kick very much in my 50 evil. Why on earth can't we just dolphin kick instead?

100 EZ

Total: 2950

Tried to go in the hottub, but it wasn't very hot.

ART:

Went to ART for the first time since July. Really need to go in for more maintenance here and there. He worked over my shoulder and tight calves.

We discussed various nutritional issues. I told him I was having some digestive issues recently and had given up whey protein. He still thinks that whey is superior to hemp protein for lean muscle (though apparently hemp is better if cholesterol is an issue). But it has to be high quality isolate with no concentrate. He wonders whether my reaction to whey as well as some sore throats and hives I've had recently indicate a food allergy, possibly a gluten allergy or lactate intolerance. Sigh. So I need to get tested. Jeez, it seems like, as a adult, I'm allergic to everything on the earth practically.

On a good note, he was thrilled with my good cholesterol reading of 71. Stunned when he heard Mr. Fort's was 79.

He's a fan of probiotics too. He noted that many of his elite endurance athletes use a combo of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Triathlons for Teens?

My son is hatching a plot with a CC friend to compete in an ironman tri next late summer/fall. Seems like a bad idea to me. His friend is the son of an ultra runner and is gung ho. It's the running I worry about. Seems like a lot of stress on the joints. He's done a sprint and international tri before when younger. I might agree to let him to a half iron. He could do the B2B with us. Any thoughts?

Other Commentary:

The first "I'm really getting sick of tapering" thought popped into my head today. The workouts was so dull. I can tell next week is going to be dreadful no matter how much cyber shopping I get done.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Tuesday, Dec. 1

by , December 1st, 2009 at 04:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Got a start on my .com shopping today, so didn't make it to OakMarr. Had to swim in the hot gym pool, but at least it's SCM. Did another workout from my pre-Auburn taper.

Warm up:

700 variety

Main sets:

4 x 100 single arm fly drill @ 2:00

8 x 50 hypoxic backstroke kick, no SSLSs @ 1:15
    1st 25 = 16 SDK
    2nd 25 = 15 SDK

25 EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:10 w/SSLSs
    1st 25 = easy speed fly
    2nd 25 = easy

25 EZ

1 x 50 fly AFAP w/SSLSs
    Went 27, 2 breaths

100 EZ

5 x 50
    1st 25 = fast evil
    2nd 25 = easy

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2550 meters

5 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt vaguely better in the water today. No way was the pool the advertised 84 degrees. It felt more like 86.

Checked out the CZ psych sheets. http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/120509ZoneHeats.pdf There are some very fast chicks there, including some fast backstrokers. I'm still glad I signed up for NE Champs though. http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09PsychByGroup.htm I'd rather not swim "mixed" in a champ meet. Plus, BU runs 10 lanes and it looks like I have avoided the dread end lane where I almost whacked my arm on the ladder 2 years ago.

It looks like KPN is seeded faster than the WR in the 50 fly. The WR holder Lauri DiTommassi is swimming at CZ. Good racing everywhere. But the right side of the country rocks!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts