Blog Comments

Every day is a little better I hope! Good job. Keep working at it, Katia.
    Thank you for the suggestion and thank you for your kindness!!😊
    im recovering well enough that I do not need to use the snorkel just yet but if I do begin to hurt than I will definitely use it!! 👌🏼😊🏊🏼*♀️💦
    Yikes Katia! So thankful it wasn’t worse but how scary is that? I hope you recover soon. Some pool time will be good for the soul. Have you thought about using a snorkel for a while to give your neck more time to heal?
    Chris is great! He’s my “On-line” strength training coach. I wish I could have him as a personal trainer physically in front of me, but his coaching has brought me a long way!! Thanks for the connection!
    He sounds like a real prize! I know I'm going to miss the two coaches (okay, instructors, but we had a lot of one-on-one time) now that my first swim class is ending. Chris Ritter sounds like he goes above and beyond. Here's to more of us being like Chris!
    Egad, you sure do DESERVE a nice season!!
    Good Morning! And Happy New Years Eve🍾🎉
    Dec 24th I received an email from USMS informing us swimmers to check out this challenge. Go to www.gulfmastersswimming.org or the front page of the site!!
    Katia - what's the Gulf Masters Swimming Challenge?
    Hi Kenny, my coach is strengthening my backstroke kick and position of my body to help save energy and prolong endurance. The otter is just simply kicking on your back having feet and toes just below the surface, big toes almost hitting each others tips, hips are slightly dropped, back is like the hull of a boat, core is tight, shoulders are alternating popping out of water. I hope that's a good description!!😆
    Katia, I have been a masters swimmer for awhile, but do not know what the otter stroke is. Could you tell me? Thanks

Ken Gardner
    Thanks Kari,
    I have looked into some of the workouts on the USMS site and have tried some of them as well in the past, I think I've just gotten used to being coached on my workouts that if I'm doing them correctly versus doing something wrong in movements/ strokes ext.. But you're right, I'll look into the site again! Thx!!
    Katia - have you looked at some of the workouts posted in the forums? You could find something a bit different while your coach is gone. There are some good ones in there. Print them out and put them in a baggie to protect them.
    - Kari
    Hi Stewart!
    Thank you for your input. I've looked at some w/o on the USMS site and you're right there are some awesome w/o's.. I'm working on bringing my strength into the pool. I need some one on one coaching. I swim with a large group and they are fantastic. I just need that one on one coaching/practice to better my times and performance in pool. I spoke with Chris Ritter (my trainer) this morning and is going to see if he could talk to some of his "guys" at RICE and hopefully I can move forward from there! You're kind to offer help.. I just may take you up on it!!
    Thank you Stewart and take care!!
    I wish you all the best with the continued training. There are some great resources under the coached workout section on the forums and depending on what events you want to focus on their are some awesome workouts.

When I first got back in I swam a lot of additional workouts on my own and I found it tough pushing myself without a coach and team mates around. I did extra aerobic oriented workouts for about 6 months at which time I felt in pretty good cardio shape and sat with my coach to discuss workouts, my meets and my training needs. I know it's difficult for coaches to write workouts for every swimmer however my experience has been that most masters coaches are ok with you changing up there sets to fit your needs.

I am very goal oriented with swimming(and in general probably) and sitting with my coach every season to discuss my plan has been very helpful. I have found a system that works for me but I do tweak my plans every season (scy,lcm, scm). My guess is that if you pick a goal meet and work backwards from the meet with some milestones you will feel a lot better about your swimming. I have a season calendar and I write down my meets, when my taper starts, phases in the season where I am focusing on different things. Typically I am setting 3 week milestones throughout the season with different emphasis. For example right now my milestone ends next week and my goal is to be back at 6 rounds of abs on my dryland and back to being able to do 16x100s and 16x50s at my desired race pace. I suspect you get my point. A game plan in my mind is important and something you should develop and plan and review with your coach.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
    I did something similar a couple of years back to try to get my stroke rate up and was bilateral breathing pretty easily after only a few workouts. Good job... keep it up!

Of course, now I'm back to breathing every two strokes, but my stroke is smoother and more fluid... whatever makes you faster and smoother, which seems to change ever so often as our strokes improve.
    Good morning Kari!
    And yes! The ALTS class was FUN!! And very informative. Bill M hit it right on in this course. I wish we had more pool time, hence I love to swim! I too am looking forward to utilizing the skills we learned in helping adults learn to swim!
    I made it home safely thank you, and hope you're home safe as well!! Take care and have a nice day!
    That was such a great class today, wasn't it? I'm interested to give some of these ideas a try soon. Hope you have a safe drive home.
    - Kari
    Thank you brent_smith. Have a great day and excellent next swim!!
    Click “Settings” – top right hand side
    Click “General Settings” - left hand side (navigation pane)
    Scroll down to Date & Time Options (near bottom in main content pane)
    Yea.. Like I said.. My goal is to TRY to swim at that pace.. Not quit there.. Yet!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast