View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

Ah just my workouts and meets etc...
The odd random thought and I hope nugget of information from a non top ten/elite yukster, which might be useful to other regular guys in speedos!

1. The wednesday after Memorial Day.

by , May 29th, 2013 at 11:16 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Warm up:

400 FR
    8 x 25 Burst & Cruz. 1:00 ~ 2, FL, 2 FR, 2 BR, 2 FR
    2 x 50 EZ
    1 x 200 IM -- probably went 3:00 with company in the lane and going moderate.
    2 x 50 EZ
    Main Sets:

4 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:00 ~ FL, BK, BR, FR, FR, (did the EZ's as FR on FLY)
    1 = 15 UW + 35 build
    2 = EZ
    3 = 25 fast + 25 EZ
    4 = 25 UW + 25 build
    5 = EZ
    masters minutes

5 x 100 stroke @ 2:00 ~ FLY, FR, BK, BR, FR
    50 @ 200 pace + 50 perfect technique

5 x 100 kick, non fins @ 2:30 50 FR/50 BR (Time issue)
    50 @ 200 pace + 50 EZ

200 EZ

Total: 3200

Pretty good workout. I feel I need to do a bit more work on my kick although it is way better than a year or so back...maybe it just takes 3 or 4 years to develop a good grip or feel on the water--especially as a returning swimmer. GOing to move kick sets up in the pecking order of sets. Got my plyo circuit later today...see last week's post for details.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Super Plyo Wednesday!

by , May 22nd, 2013 at 05:22 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Swam 3000 SCY this am details on Fort's HIT forum. Workout #3
    I did the 5 x 100 set as BR and then FR with fins.

PM Drylands:
    I do a super set of plyo-intensive stuff, 4 times through, minimal rest between stations:

• 1 x 8 pull ups/chin ups (2 rounds pulls/2 rounds chins)
    • 1 x 10 box jumps
    • 1 x 15 plyo press ups (with a clap)
    • 1 x 10 star-jump burpees ( i take my hands up beyond star-jump to a streamline position)
    • 1 x 10 med ball squats
    • 1 x 10-15 med ball press throws--think BR recovery
    • 1 x 10-15 med ball pullovers--aggressive motion from overhead to arms infront of torso (guys, keep hold of the ball if you do this one)

Take a minute between rounds. To let your HR come down,take a sip of water, and ask yourself exactly why you decided to do this set

Finished off with little extra ab work. 1min plank, 20 crucnches, 10 reverse crunches, 10 pelvic raises (engage your core don't use your thighs).

I AM DEAD.

Updated May 22nd, 2013 at 05:28 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Post Nationals Questions, Quandries and Ruminations...

by , May 17th, 2013 at 05:10 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So, I felt really awesome swimming after nationals this week. My FR felt so good and easy...
    I thought that maybe I just got my taper slightly wrong.

I instinctively wanted to swim hard today and I did a 100-500-100 pyramid and was pretty aggressive throughout. So I'm unsure if I need to rest a little earlier next time...it can't hurt to try I guess. I think I will try it for SCM in BU--which is an odd meet for me as my performances have been great or craptacular.

A 2nd thought I had is that I'm still pretty hairless--relax ladies. Which begs the question, should I swim clipped throughout the year and just shave off the stubble and dead skin prior to a big meet?

I know this is contrary to conventional thinking, but if the goal is to condition my mind and body in to swimming fast--does swimming "hairy" contradict this?

I guess it's along the theory of no longer wearing a drag suit because it teaches the body to swim slower. Or, the idea of swimming in a tech suit to get used to moving as a faster pace and holder a better body posture.

What say ye?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Behind the Blocks with Team Fortress. Indy Wrap up

by , May 13th, 2013 at 09:33 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    My day 1, which was in fact day 2 at Nats started with some odd girl at the airport shimmying at me and blowing kisses while I was waiting for Fortress. Naturally, I panicked and urged Fort to hurry through the terminal to rescue me.
    Fort and I drove to the IUPUI or whatever it is named, parked up and rushed inside to see all our swim buddies and get a 500 in.

After greeting a few friends and having a stretch off in the pool, we headed out to go check in. The only problem was that neither of us took the time to note where the car was parked and so began the hunt for a silver sedan...yeah, they are not common.

Losing the car in a parking garage seemed to be in vogue as we managed to do this several times over the course of the weekend. Last year it was losing the car keys...this year Team Fort stepped it up to a larger item, the whole car. It did occur to me that it is a blessing that there is a black stripe on the bottom of the pool, otherwise Fort and/or I might still be circling the North Pool in Indy trying to find out way out!

I also managed to nearly send Fortress into the stratosphere when I misplaced her iPhone after videoing her race. Thankfully, I called it and we heard it ring...then I checked the pocket of her Speedo bag and there it was. She never used that picket for her phone, but I always put my phone in that pocket in my bag...so it wasn't really lost...but those were anxious moments in the camp.

Anyhow enough of that. We've all seen how well Fort did at the meet. Some truly epic swims. I got to see a few folks swim from a distance while I lay down up in the stands. Usually I never get to enjoy watching too many pals, but this year with just 4 events and no relays I found I had cheerleading time a plenty.

My swims were fairly good. In case you've missed me talking about it for the last 6 months, I had a meniscus tear repaired in November. It's been a tricky road back and I don't think I quite got to the level I hoped for and after New England & Zones I felt a bit down, actually a lot down, and thought I had wasted my money on Nats...as late as Monday last week I contemplated not going.

However a taper and a shave do seem to work miracles with my swimming and I enjoyed good time drops from Zones, that left me feeling that I had the speed ("raw" speed as Fortress called it) but the stamina for the 100's was a little lacking. It's always hard not to compare to last year but, overall I didn't disgrace myself and I was within 2 seconds of my best 100's and closer still on my 50's. All swims ranked as 3rd or 4th best times, which after a knee-op (see, I mentioned it again) I have to be grateful and happy.

As I noted to some my 50FR at :27.09 was only a little behind my PR :26.92 but it felt like the best 50 I've ever swam. I hope to see the video soon.
    Anyhow a grand weekend where I met old friends and new friends and got to hang with some cool Californians, and finally shake hands with Kirk Nelson, a forumite and age-group fellow.

Sunday night began at the Tilted kilt, where I seemed to be the only lecherous old man in town, then turned into a bit of a late one. I was about to go lights out when I got the msg to come to the JW Bar, so I climbed out of bed and went down for a pint. I met some new friends and had a good time. I was out until 10pm...Pacific time! I felt groggy going home on the plane but it will help me get a good night tonight.

Well, that's all for now except for those that checked in for an expose on Fort...not much to say except she is just that fast, and her secret? I think it is a glass or two of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay with food!
    Categories
    Uncategorized