View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

Ah just my workouts and meets etc...
The odd random thought and I hope nugget of information from a non top ten/elite yukster, which might be useful to other regular guys in speedos!

1. 6/21-6/22

by , June 22nd, 2010 at 08:00 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Did some swimming the last 2 days...i'll get to that.
    I lifted yesterday in the morning for about 45 minutes...it went well.

6/21
    Swimathon
    Swam 5000 yards--I broke mine into 500 yard blocks..which was hard enough because of the number of kids leaping about in the way hehe...my shoulders were aching...

6/22
    Morning Workout.
    500 Swim was written as an 800 but I arrived a few minutes late and I needed a few mis warm up stretches.

4 x through
    4 x 100 1:30 desc.
    4 x 50 :50

1 x 250 1:30 Pace Was meant to be 500 but my shoulders weren't complying after the 5k and swimming at threshold.
    1 x 100 2:00 fast
    1 x 250 1:30 was meant to be 300 I did what I could.
    1 x 100 2:00 fast.
    1 x 100 1:30
    1 x 100 2:00 fast.

600 EZ

The faster swimmers got the full 4500 done but I did what I could. 1:30 pace is right on threshold for me. if I hadn't done the 5k yesterday I'd probably have been ok. the distance stuff is tricky for me...I still can't keep a solid pace going once my shoulders have heated up. Still a good workout. I didn't dog it...a few more group workouts and I should feeel the difference.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Crazy Day 6/18/10

by , June 18th, 2010 at 09:36 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, I should have known it would be a crazy day when Germany lost and missed a penalty...

The US v Slovenia was really a tale of two halves...the US team showed some ambition and got the best response to being 2-0 down at the half by scoring real early after the restart. On balance a fair result but hard done by the ref not to have won 3-2.

England v Algeria..expected this to be something more like a game we'd expect from the team that qualified easily and in style. Well that didn't happen; what a anemic display by a bunch of millionaire athletes...seriously myself, Fort in goal, Jimby leading the line and 8 others could have mustered more in the way of spirit in the match. don't get me wrong I am not one of those blinkered folks that think England should roll everybody, but I do think they should TRY to at least play well--win, lose or draw.

That said, the first round of the WC is always tricky unless you go straight onto cruise control and win the first 2. In hindsight, the US and England can advance with a win...the players will be happy with that. US will have to watch out for Algeria, as poor as England were, the Algerian team held the ball well, passed with accuracy and were quick to get the second ball.

England fans have to hope the team can rise to the challenge now that it's win or go home. They have the talent to beat Slovenia, but they have to play better and I didn't see much in the way of evidence today that they'll win unless the coach can get them to gel and/or pick the right team...I think Rooney should sit; partly for his lack of form and partly for mouthing off to fans via TV cameras b/c fans (that paid) booed a crap team performance...hey...pay me his money and you can all come to my office and boo me ALL DAY if I underperform.

Got to swimming at 6:45ish:
    Warm Up
    600 Swim

Pre-Main
    150 Kick, Drill, Swim R :15ish

Main
    Twice Through

5 x 100 FR 1:50 1-4 Desc, 5 Cruise
    1 x 200 FR 3:45 (make interval)
    ----
    6 x 50 1:00 Fast I had no sprint but I did make all on about :45
    This portion took me about 55-60 minutes which is a decent pace for me on LCM

Cool
    600 EZ

I must comment on my physical resiliency these days: I had a back spasm last Friday and was back swimming easily this past Monday, and I ran yesterday 4.5 miles. All of this within a week from the guy whose spasms meant 2-3 days on the floor and 2 weeks of walking about like a human pretzel, before starting the whole cycle of injury and recovery over again in 4 month intervals. It seems the core work is benefiting my swimming and my back health.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. IM Day with the Senior Team! 6/16/10

by , June 16th, 2010 at 08:19 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    I swam with the senior age groups today. It's good fun to be pushed along by folks less than half your age...there is some smack talking with one or two of them and we swim very close times right now...so I give it back...I know ultimately they will leave me in the dust...
    Her is what was written:
    Warm Up
    500 Swim
    Main
    4 x through
    1 x 50 BR 1:15
    1 x 50 BK 1:10
    1 x 50 FL 1:00
    1 x 50 FR :50
    ---
    1 x 200 IM Drill 4:15 ish
    1 x 150 non FL IM 2:00 ish
    2 x 50 major 1:50ish
    1 x 150 non FL IM
    2 x 50 major 1:50ish
    1 x 200 IM Drill 4:15ish
    1 x 200 IM 4:15ish
    4 x through
    1 x 50 BR 1:15
    1 x 50 BK 1:10
    1 x 50 FL 1:00
    1 x 50 FR :50

Cool Down

200 EZ

I am not exactly sure of all the intervals as there were two groups and I was with the slower ones. That said I only ditched out on 200 of it where I needed to rest. Some of the fly had to be half a length and then free...crumbling down to a 5 stroke fly/free combo to make it through. I got out to coach but the kids carried on to do another 40 minutes. This took me about 70-80 minutes.

It was tough but fun. I like that I get forced to do different sets and it gives me confidence to try trickier sets on my own.

I'm exhausted though.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Rotten Weekend

by , June 14th, 2010 at 10:11 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So crap weekend all round for me.
    I had some flu/ague type thing going on Friday and ended up skipping work and passing out on the couch in between watching the opening World Cup Games.

I finally feel better in the early evening and go to take the dog out...reach down for the leash and my back spasms. MONOFIN!

I think it was possibly from the passing out on the couch and laying over cushions awkwardly and/or because the pain in my hips was leaving me inflamed and I was just very unlucky.

Saturday. Kid had to miss swim meet. I could drive and spend 4 hours on deck. Next came "Relay For Life" which was nice but I had mild spasm issues though I was up and about.

Went home to watch the world cup game England v USA. OK I thought a draw was likely before the game anyhow...but did it have to be in such a ridiculous fashion?
    I thought we'd see more a 2-2 or 3-3 game with attacking play but I guess a cagey opening match was all we got. Barring any HUGE upsets the US and England should now meet again in the final at the end of the tournament.

Sunday...had to blow out the 60 mile MS charity bike ride...not happy. I look forward to that ride and it irked me to be injured.
    Germany also won...ugh...yawn. Please anyone but Germany, Brazil or Italy to win it PLEASE.

Monday. Finally got back in the pool today. Got in 3500 at the day's end thusly.

500 Swim
    5 x 100 Snorkel
    5 x 100 Paddles
    10 x 100 2:00
    500 Kick
    10 x 50 6@1:00, 4 @1:10 For cool down.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Fly/Back What? 6/9/10

by , June 9th, 2010 at 06:07 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I got in to work out with the age groupers today...yeah that was a toughie.

I began my day with a trip to the ART chiropractor.. I think this guy is really going to get some lingering back issues resolved.

Later I lifted my full workout now...some of Monday's workout was lingering in sore limbs but I pushed on. Muscle Milk.

Long Course workout in the rain 3200 in 75 minutes.

Warm up

400 FR

Back Set
    3 x 600 every 3rd 50 Fly kick on back
    100 EZ
    Yeah those of you who know and understand my proclivities towards backstroke are probably cracking up at this...

Stroke Set

4 x 150 100 BR/50 FLY
    Fly was done as long as good strokes would hold...then FR. I did ok, but the last 50 fly I had nothing left.

Sprint/Recovery
    100 EZ 2:00
    50 Sprint :100
    150 EZ
    It shouldhave been more recovery and an additional 50 Sprint each round to a max of 4 but I had to climb out to coach....SAVED!

I am looking forward to my evening smoothie and ginger!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Evening Swim LCM 6/7/10

by , June 7th, 2010 at 09:36 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Outside this evening for a swim. I worked out earlier in the day with weights for about 45 minutes and felt good. I had a muscle milk after the lifting rather than waiting all day and perhaps feeling too tired to swim.
    Swim went well here is what I did.

Warm Up
    Twice through.
    200 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 Swim

Stroke

10 x 50 BK 1:30 I held 1:10's for these and tried to focus on kicking right and breaking out...um...I hate the lane line and I think the feeling is mutual!

Free

10 x 100 2:00 I did these casually but tried to keep a good steady kick all the time. I went about 1:45 for the first 5 and tired into 1:52ish on the back end.

Monofin

500 Kicking various I took a few seconds between 100's.

Cool

Only time for 100 EZ...would have liked more but pool closed.
    3300 LCM in 90minutes.

Updated June 8th, 2010 at 08:04 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tornado Day

by , June 7th, 2010 at 08:15 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, we had day 2 of hte meet today and the morning session went off without much of a hitch I swam a :30.x in the 50 FR in a jammer and a 37.x in the 50 BR with my flag brief. I'm pretty happy to pop those times. Both faster and according to the converter I use...spot on my Nationals times...so I am happy.
    The 50 BR was comical, I was the only over "Boy 13 and over" to swim it..so I won! LMAO

I got a comment form one of the kid's as I walked past he said "That was sick!" I just said thanks...I thought agreeing with him would look bad...hehe. I was left amped by the swim though.

I have more meets this summer as I've joined USA and paid dues to the team, so I am hoping the extra practice at racing LC will show up for Zones. I'm thinking that maybe I should stump up for a nice racing brief, an aquablade at least. Unless Roque is reading this and wants to mail me a Q...LOL.

Tornado watch all afternoon delay the meet for about 45 minutes due to a thunderstorm but besides that things were fine. Then we got home at 8pm and found we had no power!!

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 08:24 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Spice up your smoothie!

by , June 5th, 2010 at 09:41 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK So I had a meet today first LCM of the year...100 BR 1:30.x and the 100 FR 1:11.09 both pretty good times for me. Previous best were 1:29.x and 1:13.x so I am happy considering I only got in the LCM pool 2x since Nats.

Both swims felt OK and I didn't have any where is the wall moments in either race, so I conclude my conditioning has paid off this year into a general boost to my abilities.

Made a smoothie tonight and added ginger to it. Ginger is a natural anti inflammatory and analgesic, so I'm going to include a little sliver into my smoothies to aid general aches and pains that come with training.
    It's adds a little kick which I don't mind either...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Difficult Blog 6/4/10

by , June 4th, 2010 at 09:51 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Kind of tough to write about today. I didn't do an awful lot in the pool just a 1500 tool about this evening. It felt good and my body seems to be OK with 50M now...so that's OK.

I have a meet tomorrow--swimming with the kids. I will be doing a 100 BR and 100 FR. I have no expectations even though I had a good Nationals...I'll report in tomorrow.

I lifted today. I did some dumbbell squats and dumbbell bench press and flys again. I won't go mad heavy but the stabilisation aspect will be good for me. I'll probably save the heavier stuff to do with the machines...my new ART guy should be getting some new workout ideas together too.

Updated June 5th, 2010 at 09:47 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. ART, Swim, Smoothie! 6/2/10

by , June 2nd, 2010 at 09:54 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I started off the day by visitin an ART practitioner. he had a USA swim shirt on, and is a swimmer too...although in triathlons but swam as a kid. Atleast I think he will understand swimmer issues and not try to fit runner's solutions around my problems.
    Session went well and what he found seemed to jive with my intuition about what is going on with my hip and knee.
    Went swimming but had to settle for SCY but it went thusly:

200 Kick
    200 Pull paddles
    200 Swim
    I did the 2nd run through ans fly kick with fins and the swim as 4x50 fly swim on the 1:30

10 x 125 FR 2:00 held them and #8 felt phenomenally great!
    4 x 50 EZ
    10 x 75 Odd FR/Even BR 1:15/1:45 BR felt awful and like I was drowning.. I couldn't get it right today...but it happens

300 Fin Kick
    6 x 50 EZ

Went to lift after wards and as a change I did 2 x 15 dumbell squats 40lb and then 30lb.
    Also did dumbell press and pec fly instead of the machines. Pressed with 35 for higher reps and to be cautions of straining the shoulder on first
    . Did d 2 set routine which I think I will try this summer 2 sets higher reps..more variations..see what happens.

Guzzled a muscle milk after practice and then late at home washed down dinner with a fruit smoothie. Need to get ginger to add to the smoothies..it is supposed to be a natural anti inflammatory and analgesic...

Updated June 2nd, 2010 at 11:08 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Long Course at Last! 5/31/10

by , May 31st, 2010 at 03:11 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well the LCM pool opened to public today and I ventured over for a swim as soon as it opened. Swam aone for the most part but got in a good 4k. No pace clock probably meant I was really getting too much rest but it is okay by me on the first LCM practice...here is what I did.

Warm Up
    Twice through.
    200 Kick no fins
    200 Pull paddles and fins
    200 Swim
    2 x 50 Fly These went well but I inhaled water on #2 and walked 5 yards...
    4 x 50 EZ

Main
    500 Kick fins and board...25EZ/25HD per 50
    4 x 50 EZ
    5 x 200 FR 4:00 EZ/HD by increasing by 50 each swim.

Cool
    6 x 50 BR for technique
    6 x 50 EZ

I came home and had a muscle milk...or should I say glass of hemlock...really I wonder what's in everything we eat...I'm not too worried. I may switch to Endurox or some other supp. I agree if you have time and energy to spare with eating the right thing at the right time and preparing it all...you don't need supplements. For those of us who are busy...help in a glass is very convenient.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Swim again 5/28/10

by , May 28th, 2010 at 08:44 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Still no LCM pool for me yet so I made do with a SCY workout.

200Kick
    200Pull
    200Swim
    1st run through was FR,2nd was BR apart from the swim.

4 x 50 Fly 1:30
    8 x 25 Fly 1:00
    4 x 50 EZ

10 x 100 BR 2:30 held 1:35 pretty much thorughout.
    2 x 50 EZ FR
    10 x 50 BR 1:15
    2x 50 EZ FR

4 x 50 FR :50
    6 x 50 EZ

Lifted for 20 minutes after. 2 sets each instead of normal three. Muscle Milk

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 08:50 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Cardio! 5/27/10

by , May 28th, 2010 at 09:37 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I got back on the treadmill to run today. I was sensible and did a 2miler in just under 19 minutes. I have made my non swim workouts short and fluffy this week. More of a reintroduction to the motions and what not than of exertions. I hope this will leave me a little less sore as I build up over the next week.

I also have made an Appt. to go see an ART chiropractor..and give it a shot to see if the persistent tightness in my back is related to long term issues I have previously. I can't think that I am able to do what I do with swimming, running and lifting if I am on the verge of a spasm...so I think it's possible I have scar tissue holding me tight in the core. I'll let you know.

Updated May 28th, 2010 at 08:41 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Back to work 5/26

by , May 26th, 2010 at 09:34 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, the party is over, the swimmers have swum, and we've all headed back to our homes.

I also closed a chapter in my life. I packed up my training goggles into an old box and opened up my new onesw. Same model and colour but the oldies had held together well, and I feel should be retired now that I have made it through nats and what not.

Still feeling tired from the meet but decided I couldn't blow everything off as then I'd be facing a huge task to get back up for a meet on june 5th which is LCM to boot....stupidly I think I'm signed up for the 200 BR--Idiot!

Anyhow I got to the pool and decided to work towards my goals of Improving my backstroke and getting under :30 for the 50 BR, which I am sure will take me some time.

Here's what I did.
    Warm Up
    (twice through)
    200Kick
    200Pull (paddles
    200Swim

Back Set

4 x 50 Kick on Back 1:30. held 1:05's and worked on breaking out hard and aggressive from my SDK.
    8 x 25 Back 1:00. Held about :20 just trying to bust these out...tough to see with stupid pace clock.
    4 x 50 EZ1:00
    Breast Set
    4 x 25 BR/25 EZ FR trying to get SPL and time on the BR to measure slight adjustments on my stroke but it was no good with the dumb pace clocks out of sync...this is where no coaching REALLY sucks.
    2 x 200 BR on 5:00 did them about 3:15...um...yeah I really still whacked out from Atlanta
    4 x 50 EZ 1:00

8x 25 Fly on 1:00 some good some bad...felt like I was getting more chest press but when I try to sprint it goes back to arm-driven

4 x 50 EZ to Cool

Hit the weight room for a quick 1 set circuit to get the muscles a little prepped for the return to training. I know it'll still hurt when I do. Of course I followed it with a muscle milk.

Updated May 26th, 2010 at 10:46 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Recovery Day & more reflection..

by , May 25th, 2010 at 06:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well I had to get in and sim a bit. I still feel tired but the swim made me feel loose. I didn't do anything too funky but tried a slightly different BR stroke that I spoke with Steve West about...I'll be meddling with that this year.

Reflecting on my swims, I felt I was too tired for a solid 200 BR and I ripped out the first 100 at 1:17 that would have been a PB in the 100 BR a year ago. If you watch the video it shows up, I held my stroke together but I just ran out of power. 1:17.x and a 1:28.x makes ugly splitting.

My 100 I thought I was spinning wheels tried to glide.. I should have just carried on...I coasted in...bummer...but happy to PB.

100 IM was a hoot I wish it was taped!

Anyhow here's my simple swim...in 20 yard pool.

4 x through:
    200 Kick (fins)
    200 Pull (pins n paddles)
    200 Swim #2 was 5 x 40 BR
    Felt good to stretch out again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. SCY Nationals

by , May 24th, 2010 at 03:38 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well this was my first visit to Nationals.
    I'd trained consistently and with a bit of focus on a few events for this meet, and it paid off.

The first challenge was actually handling a solo flight since an anxiety attack back in 2006...I'm not going to tell the story again...it's been told enough.

A fun and tiring meet with a super drop in the 50 BR and 100 FR to get a personal goal taken care of.

I don't have anything to complain about in my meet barring the 3rd turn in my 100 FR I had a wall spotting issue and half turtled by breathing to the side...but I threw my head into the flip and was so angry that I kicked furiously coming home and got my goal of under 1:00. It's a huge one for me, and makes me feel I validated myself as as swimmer.

Met some great folks and had some good laughs and got home with some thoughts and comments:

1. The warm up pool can be a hostile environment. Quote of the meet: "I'm doing and open turn, bitch!"
    2. Razor burn sucks!
    3. "Hey Julie"
    4. It's not the suit...but they are fun!
    5. To Dana & Michelle "You complete me!"
    6. To improve my 200 BR I need 2 things: An Allen Stark nasal "Breathe-Right" band-aid thingy, and a Jim Clemmons moustsache.
    7. Speedo is truly a gracious person.
    8. Fortress is a tough and resilient competitor....yet a super cheerleader too.
    9. Butt rubbing is good mojo for fast swimming!
    10. All I can hear in my head is the sound of my phone announcing another text message arriving...If I wasn't swimming I was texting.

I loved the meet and will post vids over the next few days of a few swims. It was good to meet so many folks.

Updated May 24th, 2010 at 10:10 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Sat Sprint 5/15/10

by , May 15th, 2010 at 04:34 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    So I did 2000 today.
    2 x
    200 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 Swim

2x
    50 Sprint 1:00
    25 Sprint :30
    25 Kick :30
    200 EZ
    all on 10:00
    Just went sub :30 from push on the 50's.

200 EZ

Muscle Milk
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 1 week out! 5/14/10

by , May 14th, 2010 at 12:57 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Simple 300 today

1200 Warm up
    kick swim pull by 200
    50 for time from block
    150 EZ
    6 x 25 1:00 from block
    50 EZ
    10 x 100 1:45
    7 x 50 EZ

Muscle Milk.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Wed 5/12/10 Taper 3

by , May 12th, 2010 at 06:18 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Did 3000 yards today

Warm Up
    Twice Through
    200 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 Swim
    I used fins to kick and left them on for the pull. the 2nd 200 Swim I did as 4 x 50 EZ.
    100FR from blocks. Went 1:02 a 29 and a 33, end lane, no wall line, swim team going at same time...YMCA pool, I was fairly happy with that. With taper I'll probably have enough in the tank for the 2nd 50 to get IT done.
    4 x 50 EZ

Main
    10 x 100 FR 1:45

Cool Down
    200 K
    6 x 50 EZ

No weights. Had my muscle milk...and if you haven't seen it.. my butt is now starring on USMS you tube channel!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 5/10/10 Taper1

by , May 10th, 2010 at 03:37 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Hmm not so sure how well this went for a taper workout. I knocked off 1000 yards from my normal total and plan to do 2000 tomorrow...drills and easier stuff with short sprints. that's pretty much the pattern for this week.

Warm up
    Twice Through
    200P
    200S

Aerobic Set
    4x 200 FR 3:30 EZ HD 150/50, 100/100, 150/50, 0/200.
    200 EZ

Sprint Set
    12 x 25 1&2 on 2:00 balance on 1:30 b/c time constraints. holding sub 15's all the way though pretty much.

Cool Down
    200 Fin kick no board
    6 x 50 EZ

Muscle Milk.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast