View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

Ah just my workouts and meets etc...
The odd random thought and I hope nugget of information from a non top ten/elite yukster, which might be useful to other regular guys in speedos!

1. 'Twas the swim before Christmas...

by , December 24th, 2008 at 05:50 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    When all through the pool, many lappers and racers swam balls to the wall...

Anyhow, I did a neat 2000 today as a recovery workout. I didn't get any speed on but worked the DPS and did some backstroke with a pull buoy...I just stink at it!

I did some pulls and swimming with paddles...I only use the finger loops and so I got some good feedback from my hands on the entry and the finish of my pull: I am not entering cleanly with the left and slipping water too on he finish. So I have a new aspect to work on.

A guy I swam next too popped in today and we said hello and he pointed out that I am pulling my right arm a little to far under my body, which may be adding to the shoulder woe...so that was good. Told him if he sees anything underwater like that to let me know.

Also saw the HS coach and asked if I could crash one of their workouts once in a while he said "absolutely" so this is good as I can go get my butt kicked once in a while!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Have yourself a merry little double...

by , December 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well sort of...
    Jumped in around 10am and did 1200 yards.
    Mostly DPS and feel drills. I think I 'm getting better feel from all this drill work. I hope the DPS will pay off

I included a 5x100 on 1:35 set which I managed on all but got down to about 3 secs of rest. However, my main goal was make the interval but not let my stroke fall apart. I think a #6 may have let me see breakfast again.

Anyway went back at 6:30PM and did a good workout:
    500 W/U
    10 x 100 on 1:50 evens BR
    Actually raced some 19 year old guy on the first 50. He went 24 to my 29. Sure he beat me and he is happy about it but I would love to have one of you fast guys come drop in and show him real speed.
    10 FR Kick on 1:00 fins and board #3, 6 8 & 10 AFAP
    10 FR Pull on 1:00 #3, 6 8 & 10 AFAP

1 x 200 on 3:20
    2 x 100 on 1:45
    4 x 50 on :50

400 cool down for 3500 and 4700 incuding the early part.

Oh well tomorrow I'll grab another 1200 and then prepare for the binge!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Round the mulberry bush on a cold and frosty morning!

by , December 22nd, 2008 at 09:00 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Yikes it was cold at 4:30 today!
    I gingerly made my way to the pool and got going...the water was warm but I felt cold for a bit due to the weather. The vent was letting air in, and it was so cold out it appeared like there was dry ice machine in the vent!

Anyway, all FR:
    3 x 100 S
    100 P
    100 K

2 x 200 S 4:00 desc. by 100
    150 DR, K, S 3:00
    100 AFAP 2:00 (1:10 from push)
    50 Recovery 1:00

10 x Black Line 50's 1:00 (Star in ctr)

8 x 25 on :30 Used fins for speed feel

500 EZ Drill-swim, with fins: worked on catch and rotation.

300 K w fins 150 FR, 50 FL, 50 FR, 50 FL

Out, shower, and home through biting cold for a cup of tea! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    =================================
    Part Deux:
    1 mile run
    45 min weights
    4 supersets of Leg press and toe/calf press
    Leg ext
    Leg Curl
    Adductor/Abductor
    Lat pulldowns
    Ab Crunches
    Pullovers and done...laid off the chest press for my shoulder's sake.

Updated December 22nd, 2008 at 11:14 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Drylands...sorta!

by , December 21st, 2008 at 08:51 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well due to the storms and other commitments I could not swim this weekend. It's no big deal as it's Christmas soon and to me that means laying about in a semi-drunken stupor and gorging myself on sugary things for at least a week! Anyhow I'll be swimming in the morning.

My dryland routine was tough however, as I had to go out at least 3 times with the snowblower and clear the drive--especially the "ploughed back in" part at the front!

Being the good neighbour I also went and cleared my neighbour's driveway as he drives plough's in another town and his wife was shovelling...so I did that 3 times too!

It was worth it as today we all got to hang out together at a neighbourhood cookie exchange party where my drylands included spiked eggnog, vodka and cranberry juice and some seasonal beers!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The calm before the storm...

by , December 19th, 2008 at 08:53 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Yes with the impending "Day After Tomorrow" storm heading in, I got to the pool at 5 am. Much talking on deck delayed the start by 15 minutes but we did a good workout:

100 to 500 to 100 pyramid, ended up going on 1:40's. I just really start to die and struggle on the back half...I can never descend.

Followed that with 5 x 200 Max SDK off walls EZ FR on 2:00

Then did 4 x 100 DAB (double arm back) with fins to cool.

Got home and had bacon and eggs with a big mug of tea!

School is cancelled so naturally the kids got up an hour earlier than usual...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. The 1200 yards of Christmas...

by , December 18th, 2008 at 07:07 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well had my normal 1200 yard Drill n stretch this morning.

Got in and swam easy free and worked DPS. I can get down to 10 or 12 and if I SDK extra I can get to 8.

Not sure how this works...does it magically work into my regular stroke and mean I become more efficient?

I then did some BR and worked on my hip thrust and insweep. I am getting 25 done in 5 pulls and I can get to 4 but it's very slow.

Tossed in a 3 x 100 Kick 75 cruise/25 sprint. My kick has gotten better...thanks Ande!
    Finished with some pulling to work on roation and hand entry.

Hopefully this will all pay off in my stroke!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Triple Psycho!

by , December 18th, 2008 at 12:37 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Swim, Run and Lift--12/17/08
    No this isn't some sort of advert for a sports bra it's what I did today!

Yes the am 1200 of drill and focus on FLY...the water aerobics girls moved away from the lane lines...

Well then after my shift I took off for a 1 miler indoors...I hate running so don't rag me and tell me to run more... YOU run more

I then lifted for an hour 4 sets of leg press, leg ext, leg curl, adductor/abductor, pullovers, seated row, bench press and ab curl...
    I hit the sauna for 10 and then went to coach the kids...
    I felt a bit thirsty...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Macho Week- to 12/17

by , December 18th, 2008 at 12:32 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    IM alright are you?
    Well so far every morning on my break this week I've done at least 1200 of drills and tech work; mostly on Fly as my shoulder needs me to find the fault and fix it.
    Got a good workout in last night at master's practice which consisted of me and my Speedo..but I got to say hi to some of the college kids who I swam with in the summer as they are home for Xmas.

600 Fr/Non-FR by 100 I did mine BACKSTROKE...that's right Backstroke, Chris Stevenson, I've got you in my sights!
    100 IM
    150 RIMO 25 Fly, 50 BK, 50 BR, 25 FR
    100 EZ
    6 x 50 IM transition.
    200 IM
    100 EZ
    5 x 100 FR 2:00 , 100 IM 2:30 (Interval could have been tighter but I'm working on quality too).
    450 Cool off.

Slept well!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. It's not about how fast you swim...

by , December 18th, 2008 at 12:23 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Jersey Gunk--Early December
    Well swam at Colony Zones and had a decent meet since I was battling a cold or something.
    Had some fair results I guess abit off my best but considered my head wasn't in the game I was fairly happy. I made improvements over last year still so some of my LCM gains have remained.

I got back in the water late last week doing a few 1200 yard drill/kick workouts.
    Took until Sunday 14th to get a real workout in and I stole Fort's which she stole from Chris but I used human intervals for the kicking but I did it all and felt pretty manly considering I'd been ill.
    Warm up:

750 variety warm up of swim, kick, drills, builds

Speed Set:

8 x 25 AFAP,
    2 of each stroke, 25 easy after each

50 EZ

Endurance Kick Set: Kick Mountain
    50 kick on :45
    100 kick on 1:40
    150 kick on 2:30
    200 kick on 3:00
    150 kick on 2:30