View RSS Feed

Masters Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event plans and results from U.S. Masters Swmming events in this category.

1. Lucky 7 to Indy

by , March 11th, 2018 at 10:28 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After some great progress building back into my training over December and January, I hit some snags over the month of February.

On January 28th, I went down to Tucson and competed in the annual Polar Bear meet. I was actually quite happy with most of my swims - 50 fly (26.43), 50 back (29.18), 400 IM (4:32.17) and 500 free (5:12.76). The only time that was a tad disappointing was the 500, but I took it out too slow and negative split it (2:38/2:34+).

As solid as I felt during the meet, I woke up on the Monday after and could barely move - my lower back was in major pain, wracked with spasms. I barely swam the week of January 29th, mustering only 5,000 yards, but then felt better and had two good weeks (Feb 5th and 12th weeks), culminating in the Matt & Annie Grevers Meet in Mesa where I swam, in about 3 hours total, all of the IMs (1:00.8, 2:12.3, 4:34.3) and the 50 breast (31.9).

As if on cue - do a good meet, have some pain - I then suffered through two plus weeks of my head full of gunk, with much of it concentrated in my sinuses to the point where going any amount under water was painful. I managed 7,500 yards during the week of Feb 19th (as the stuff was starting), 4K during the week of Feb 26th and really only started to feel like my old self again this weekend, notching up a little less than 10K for the week.

We are 9 weeks away from Indianapolis Nationals, which means I have to somehow put in 7 weeks of consistent training so that I can do some semblance of a taper. I am 100% committed to being in Indy and put my entries in this weekend:
    • Friday
      • 400 IM
      • 100 fly

• Saturday
      • 100 free (6th event)
      • 200 fly

• Sunday
      • 50 fly
      • 200 IM

I figure with the above line-up, I can put some focus around my training, and swim many of my favorite events. I am really hoping that, by skipping the 500 on Sunday morning and keeping a lighter schedule, I can swim a decent 200 IM, something I haven't done at Nationals in a long time.

I'm ready to train and aiming to blog along with it. All roads lead to Indy!
  2. Damn, I love to race!

by , November 20th, 2017 at 11:41 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Euphoric. Blissed out. High on life.

I couldn't sleep on Sunday night after two days and 8 events of racing at the Ron Johnson / Arizona State SCM Championships. I was absolutely wasted physically, my muscles sore, a physical sloth on the couch watching TV with my wife, but my interior world was ablaze with endorphins, just sheer joy at having been able to get up and race hard, over and over again throughout the weekend. No pain. All the gain to my soul.

Damn, I love to race.

Saturday

I started with the 50 breast, my warmup race for the meet. I went too deep on the start, took too long to get up and then spun like a whisk, all legs and arms akimbo and out of control. Though I was nowhere near my 33.39 best from 2013, I was very pleased with the 35.65 on the scoreboard, a marked improvement over the 38.02 from less than two months ago.

My freestyle has been feeling good in workouts lately and I was pretty sure I'd beat the 2:09.88 that I had entered in the 200 free. But, lined up in lane 2 of the second to last heat, what I wanted to do was beat Kurt Dickson's son in lane 1 and a 30-something woman in lane 3. We had a blast of a race, all three of us pretty much turning even throughout the race, with the lead changing here and there. I thought I had saved enough in my legs and my lungs to power through the last 25, but came up short to both of them, one of them at 2:08.10 and then other at 2:08.20. My 2:08.52 still made me smile.

At this point in the program, there was a long break for relays. The sun was going down (the session's warmups had started at noon) and I was feeling pretty tired, happy, but toasty in the arms. The event I was really excited about, the 200 IM, was going off about 6:30pm, but the 100 breast was before. Going into the meet, I was 95% convinced that I would only be able and want to race 2, maybe 3 events per session. I didn't think I had it in me to race both events and had pretty much made my mind up to skip the breaststroke, until Barry Roth, a great guy from Tucson, using an argument of - "It's better to be in the water racing than sitting on the deck" - convinced me to swim. I had plenty of time between the races and so off I went. I made sure not to spin like I did in the 50 and was quite happy with the 1:16.94 that I went, only a little more than 2 seconds slower than my Masters best (1:14.39).

Then, an amazing thing happened. Rather than tiring me out more, swimming the 100 breast acted like a jolt of energy, a second wind. When I got on the blocks for my 200 IM, I was feeling pumped, like it was the first race of the meet. I had been pretty ambitious in my entry time (2:20.89) considering that I had gone 2:30.61 about 7 weeks ago at the Jamina Winston meet in Mesa. The whole race felt pretty strong and I was elated with the 2:23.49 result.

Sunday

My appetizer event was the 100 IM. We have had a surge of 20- and 30-something guys start racing recently, so it's getting harder for us old guys to get into the fast heat in any of the 100s, but I was in a good heat with a few guys in my age group. Based upon my 200 IM being about 7 seconds off my Masters' best, I figured that I should / could be around 1:06.5 (best was 1:02.91). I was probably a bit too relaxed on the fly as I should've gotten further ahead of the guy next to me (who is a better sprint breaststroker) and I then didn't have enough juice on the freestyle leg to make up the lead he created on breast. I beat my expectation, though, at 1:06.30.

I had almost three hours before the 400 IM during which I called my brother and read just about every word (save the inane marriage announcements) in the Sunday New York Times. I probably should've done a little more warming up before the actual race, but I didn't want to tucker myself out. I had been 5:20.24 at the meet at the end of September and had this pipe dream that I could dip under the 5 minute mark. Oh was this one painful! In a John Cougar Hurts So Good kind of a way. I got to the 50 of the fly and thought I was done. I don't ever remember breathing so hard throughout any backstroke in my life. I couldn't do a breaststroke pullout off the first wall and the remaining pushoffs had me feeling like a drowning man coming up for air, for life. I managed to have some legs left on the last 50 and was pleased with the 5:02.05 result. This was the only race I ended up winning outright and I thank Darian Townsend for not swimming it (he lapped me last year!).

At this point, I could have gone home. I had raced enough, but I had also told a few guys who were in the 200 breast that I would 100 percent for sure be there for that, so I couldn't back out. I've only swum this event two other times in short course meters, having gone 2:44.62 back in 2012 and 2:43.35 in 2014. 2014 was the fall season when I was really working on my breaststroke and had been when I recorded my best 100 time. I really had no clue where I'd end up, but, much like on Saturday, I felt rejuvenated on this event. I swam very smooth through the 100 and then aimed to build the last 100. I was shocked to see a 2:43.70 on the scoreboard, damn near a best time!

The final individual event of the day was the 100 free. I don't know why I was entered in a 1:05.05, as my best time 55.92 and I'd even gone a 1:00.29 at altitude a few years back. I tried to imagine what I was thinking and the only thing I came up with was that I had planned to do a 100 fly ... but I didn't really feel like doing a 100 fly, and I definitely didn't feel like doing a 100 free. As I stood behind the blocks, with one heat to go, I was still debating between doing a 100 fly or going a 50 free to a touch and then relaxing. I turned to Lindsey Urbatchka, who was in the heat after me, and asked her to pick one. She was absolutely marvelous and said something to the effect of, "Do neither. Do a 50 fly. It's my favorite event!" And so I did. I LOVED it. It was the perfect way to end the meet. I blasted a 2 breath 28.69, respectably close enough to my 27.62 best from 7 years ago.

What an AWESOME WEEKEND. I cannot wait to race again.

Updated November 21st, 2017 at 01:20 PM by pwb

Tags: ron johnson
    Categories
  3. I really raced - Jamina Winston SCM meet report

by , September 28th, 2017 at 11:46 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Work's really been slamming lately, but my training is coming along well, if slowly. I managed to get down to Mesa last Saturday and raced all 5 of the events I had entered. I managed to record the slowest time (by far) I've ever done in a meet since I started Masters ~16 years ago ... and, yet, I was actually encouraged by the day. Very briefly:

• 50 breast
      • Best time - 33.39 (2013)
      • Previous Worst Time - 36.28 (2012)
      • Entry time - 39.99
      • Meet performance - 38.02
      • Hey! I beat my own (low) expectations

• 100 IM
      • Best time - 1:02.91 (2013)
      • Previous Worst Time - 1:06.26 (2015)
      • Entry time - 1:09.99
      • Meet performance - 1:11.89
      • Raced "SwimDogs" Mark Johnston from Montana in the lane next to me and didn't have enough juice to run him down. I first met Mark a few years back when I did his most excellent 1 mile Polson Bay Water Daze race (http://www.mvaquatics.org/mva-events/water-daze/); it was good to catch up with him a bit.

• 200 IM
      • Best time - 2:16.10 (2011)
      • Previous Worst Time - 2:20.89 (2006)
      • Entry time - 2:28.99
      • Meet performance - 2:30.61
      • I think this was the race that I pushed the hardest in throughout. I was pretty tentative in everything else. This one hurt so good.

• 50 free
      • Best time - 25.79 (2008)
      • Previous Worst Time - 27.70 (2013 @ Altitude!!)
      • Entry time - 29.99
      • Meet performance - 28.23
      • You know you're out of shape when you have to breathe practically every stroke.

• 400 IM
      • Best time - 4:46.48 (2013)
      • Previous Worst Time - 5:04.00 (2009)
      • Entry time - 5:19.99
      • Meet performance - 5:20.24
      • It makes sense that I was most accurate in estimating my time for this, the king of events. I love this race, but, whereas the fly is usually a place for me to go out fairly easy, it got hard at about the 35 meter mark. I ended up negative splitting my backstroke primarily because I had to spend the entire first 50 catching my breath.

For this meet, we had a great turnout - almost 100 swimmers - and the meet was run very well. I really enjoyed the chance to race again, even if my times were miserably slow for me. It was a great 'baseline.'

I don't think I'll have any racing opportunities in October, so am looking forward to the Ron Johnson meet. I've probably gone too ambitious on the entry times, but it will be all about racing and (hopefully) raising the baseline:

Event
    Number
    Sex Distance Stroke Time Date
    3 Men 50 SCM Breast 0:35.77 11/18/2017
    5 Men 200 SCM Free 2:09.88 11/18/2017
    9 Men 100 SCM Breast 1:16.25 11/18/2017
    12 Men 200 SCM IM 2:20.89 11/18/2017
    17 Men 100 SCM IM 1:06.26 11/19/2017
    24 Men 400 SCM IM 5:04.00 11/19/2017
    26 Men 200 SCM Breast 2:44.62 11/19/2017
    27 Men 100 SCM Free 1:05.05 11/19/2017

I will also make a decision after Ron John if life will permit and if my 'in-shape-ness' warrants the investment in a day or two of the SPMA SCM Champs the first weekend in December.

4. Eye of the baby tiger

by , August 19th, 2017 at 03:53 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I can't consider my 6 workouts this week totaling 9,425 yards equivalents as really worthy of me cuing up Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger," but I will exit this week tomorrow with about the highest level of motivation I've had this entire year. Call it baby tiger motivation.

I did variations of Monday's workout on each of Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, but had to cut Wednesday's workout short due to a day trip to San Francisco. This morning, though, I did a 'mega' workout at home in SCM ...

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, free descend w/snorkel (#1-#3) and swim #4, 1:22 - 1:21 - 1:19 - 1:17
    • 8 x 50: on 0:55, w/monofin doing SDKs going 10 AFAP kicks off each wall and then easy the rest of the way; odd laps on belly into flip turn to even laps on back
    • Breaststroke set:
      • 1 x 100 on 2:15 going odd laps doing the Rebecca Soni / Race Club drill using snorkel and band kick, with even laps pull only
      • See this great video -
      • 2 x 25: on 0:45, breast swim using Finis band
      • 1 x 100: same as above
      • 2 x 25: on 0:45, breast swim without band
      • 1 x 100: same as above

• 8 x 50: on 0:55, backstroke descend swim

TOTAL: 2,000 SCM

Comments:
    • I have been bad this week about both running and PT, but will focus on that tomorrow.
    • A big reason for my increased motivation is that my shoulder feels super-fine and I am looking forward to getting back into competition mode. In September, I have signed up for
  5. 1st Meet in 7 months!

by , June 11th, 2017 at 06:27 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I not only made it down to the Mesa Aquatics Masters LCM meet today (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2202&smid=9230), I actually swam three events and did my best to push/race two of them. As I've not swum any long course since some time in 2016, have 'trained' a total of less than 90K yards over the entirety of 2017 and not gone anything fast-ish longer than a 50 SCM in workout, I wasn't expecting much.

It's always good to remember that Performance Satisfaction = Results - Expectations.

So, while my times were slow, I was pretty ecstatic with the meet today. Here's what I did:
    • 50 breast = this was the first event and I just wanted to stretch this out and see what my stroke felt like long course. I made a rookie mistake wearing 'loose' practice goggles, dove up too much and almost touched the deep bottom of the pool, the end result being that my right goggle filled up with water. That really didn't impact my result, though, as I just wanted to have this feel like the first 50 of my 200. I was 41.62, which is well off my 36.34 best time, but that was to be expected.
    • 200 breast - This was the event before the meet that I wasn't sure if I would swim, but after the 50 was the event I was most excited about. I have no idea of my splits, but I felt really smooth and strong through the 150. I definitely tightened up on the end and wished that I had worn my new heart rate watch as I was a long time on the wall after the race huffing and puffing before I could get out. I was 3:02.70, which was 12 seconds off my best.
    • 100 breast - Now, here is where the competitive mind got the better of me. Figuring that I had cruised the 50 at 41 high and that I was clearly averaging 45+/46- on the 200, I was sure that I could go a 1:25 on this. I came close at 1:26.14, but my lack of any conditioning work whatsoever showed here. My best is 1:18.94.

There is a 99.99% probability that this will be my only meet this summer, though I do plan to go swim the State Open Water Championships in a couple of weeks - https://azopenwater.com/state-championship/ - where I will swim the mile. As of now, my plan is to swim it as a mixture of breaststroke and backstroke and just use it as an enjoyable lake swim.

What today did do was ...
    • Show me that I am getting better and better as I swam without any iota of pain today.
    • Remind me how much I LOVE to get on the blocks, dive in and race.

I didn't swim much or swim fast, but I left with the same kind of endorphin high I get after a huge taper meet where I've performed well.
  6. Ron Johnson Meet Report

by , November 14th, 2016 at 01:35 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I was a bit of a slacker this weekend - skipping three entered events (200 fly, 50 back, 100 free) - and none of my times were magical, but it was all very solid and, in some ways, encouraging. Here's how the Ron Johnson Invitational / AZ State SCM Champs went down at ASU.

Saturday

50 breast
    • Best time - 33.39 (Ron John, 2013)
    • Ron John 2015 - 34.25
    • This meet - 33.75
    • Thoughts
      • This was my warmup race for the 400IM and it completely served its purpose. Not that I swim this much, but it's only the second time I've been under 34, so I was pretty happy with the time.
      • For me, this race is all about the start and pullouts. My stroke felt sloppy, but it revved the engine.

400 IM
    • Best time - 4:46.48 (Ron John, 2013)
    • Ron John 2015 - 4:55.55
    • This meet - 4:52.09
    • Thoughts
      • I was kind of hoping to dip under 4:50, but this is still a very solid swim considering the training that I've done. It's my 5th best-ever jammers swim as a Masters swimmer and the 4th-best time was 4:51.76, so I've only been sub 4:50 three times.
      • Though I raced next to Darian Townsend last year, I didn't remember how much wake that dude throws off. It was kind of a wave fest until the freestyle. He went 4:14 high or 4:15 low.
      • The only bad part of my race (though I haven't seen my splits) was the fly as it just felt labored ... so much so that I decided to skip the 200 fly later in the day.

Sunday

100 IM
    • Best time - 1:02.91 (Ron John, 2013)
    • 2015 Season - 1:06.76
    • This meet - 1:04.67 (or, maybe 1:04.75 ... can't remember the exact time)
    • Thoughts
      • With the exception of my fly feeling as tight as it did yesterday, running into the lane line almost near the end of the backstroke and feeling none of the power and speed I had yesterday on my breaststroke, it was a fine race!
      • I was pretty surprised in warmup how tired I felt from the paltry amount of racing I had done the day before, but this race also served its purpose to blow some cobwebs out.

400 free
    • Best time - 4:19.70 (Ron John, 2005)
    • 2015 Season - 4:21.18
    • This meet - 4:20.88
    • Thoughts
      • Yeah, I didn't appreciate not being able to hold off Mr. Dickson on the last 50 or 100 ... and I really would have liked to knock off that ancient best time, but I was pretty happy with this race. I was completely gassed when I finished, so I know I gave it all I had today.
      • For whatever reason, I've never been able to put together a really strong 400 SCM in jammers. I still think I have a sub 4:15 race in me, but will have to wait until next year to see if I can demonstrate that.

Meet overall
    • Very glad I went and my times, in light of my training, were solid - both convert to about 2.5 to 3 seconds slower than what I did in SCY back in Greensboro when I was in far better shape.
    • I have certainly worked my way back out of my summer doldrums and am looking forward to building on this momentum.
    • While I'm not going to have time (or energy) to complete the 3,000 yard postal before November 15th, I think I'll focus my training over the next month on that event and just do it for my own record-keeping around the 17th or 18th of December. After that, I'll make a plan for the SCY season.
  7. Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three

by , September 25th, 2016 at 09:35 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Thank you Mark Johnston for the Postal Swimtathlon (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2303&smid=7259) as, without you and this creative event, I would not have had the motivation to do anything this weekend. Instead, your funky e-event got me up on the blocks at a meet for the 200 free and up on the blocks at home for a 400 IM and 200 breast. More importantly, my results, I hope, will be the 52nd kick-in-the-a$$ to get my butt back into serious training.

Saturday - Jamina Winston Memorial Invite at Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa)
    It was my wife's birthday and, apparently, thanks to some major hanky-panky around Christmastime every year, practically everyone else's birthday on Facebook. Seriously there were a lot of my friends with birthdays this day; I wonder if any anthropology PhD has ever been built on the correlation between births and significant religious holidays?

I only had a short window of time while my wife and daughter were at a 'parent & me' cooking class to bomb down to Mesa, warmup, put in a few unsuccessful bids at the silent auction, and swim a horribly slow 2:09.88 200 SCM free, my slowest ever recorded Masters result.

Sunday - Patrick Brundage Unmemorable Uninvitational at the BADASS pool
    I did my standard 1,500 SCM warmup and then got my wife to time me in a 400 IM (5:23.81) and a 200 breast (3:00.04). The IM was seriously pathetic for me, even for a workout swim, but the breaststroke was quite surprising. It felt like about a 3:30 and so I was happy with that.

I have a rare week at home this week and I am going to love every minute of it. This last quarter has been hell on me - with my work travel days away from home up 20% over my historical average, and my work nights not sleeping in my own bed up 60% versus each of Q1 and Q2 (more, multi-night trips). I think this week will be a serious re-charge of my red-lined personal battery, but I've got to make some more significant changes as this work pace is not sustainable.
  8. OK, now I'm really going to start training

by , August 7th, 2016 at 07:15 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Saturday at the races
    I drove down to Tucson in the morning for the first morning of our state Masters Championships and was mildly interested in racing each of the three events - 200 free, 200 back and 200 IM. I had probably enjoyed myself a little too much the night before when we had some friends over for drinks, dinner and a smidge of watching the Opening Ceremonies in the background, but I didn't think I had over-indulged ... my results tell a different story.

I got in a mere 500 warmup in the SCM diving tank and had decided I was just going to try to build the 200 free since there was only about 20 minutes after that and my 200 back, the race I wanted to focus on. After I got through about 75 of the 200 free, though, I decided that my heart wasn't in it and used the rest of the race to warmup my backstroke and get my stroke counts - doing the 3rd 50 as smooth backstroke with a fast turn and then rolling over for the last 25 backstroke so I could work on my finish.

I quite enjoyed my 200 backstroke and had to laugh at the time. I've only swum this twice recently, back at Mission Nationals in '13 where I went 2:31.07 and then in July of 2014 where I went exactly the same time. I wasn't in great shape either of those summers either (I almost never am), so I just cracked up when I saw 2:30.96. I guess that 2:31 area is just my steady-state. While I was at the meet and until I got home, I thought I got to chalk that up as a Masters' best, but when I looked through my spreadsheet, I realized that I had gone a 2:27.40 at a USAS meet in 2011.

In hindsight, I should not have waited around the extra hour to swim the 200 IM as I was a pathetic (for me) 2:35.52. I've only been slower once, going a 2:38.50 back in 2013, and then next closest slow time was a 2:30.5 from last summer. I can't blame it all on my breaststroke, but when I swam the 200 fly a couple weeks ago in San Mateo, I pulled my right groin and it's been tender-twingy ever since. While my breaststroke is not great on a good day, the only forward motion I get is from my kick. I really felt tempted to start dolphin-kicking midway through the length and just taking the DQ.

I'm still glad I went down there as it was the final straw that has motivated me to get training.

Sunday - 3 x 300 Test Set
    If the crappy times on Saturday weren't motivating enough, I tipped the scales at 195.2 this morning. I dove in before the Olympics prelims came on the live stream and performed better than expected.

Warmup sets (1,700 set)

• 1 x 300: IM kick-drill, no breast
    • 5 x 100: on 1:30, gentle descend pull w/snorkel (1:20 -> 1:14)
    • 16 x 25: on 0:35, w/monofin, SDK on belly, in sets of 4 as #1 moderate 2 breaths, #2 moderate 0 breaths, #3 moderate 1 breath, #4 AFAP 0 breaths
    • 6 x 50: on 0:50, swim free, descend in 3s
    • 6 x 25: on 0:30, 5-6-7-8 AFAP strokes off the walls w/paddles then easy rest of 25, 5th one easy, 6th on all fast
    • 1 x 50: easy

3 x 300 Test Set (1,050 set / 2,750 total)

3 x 300: free on 4:30, fast pace aiming to even split as much as possible
    Aim to determine your 100 aerobic workout pace:

• 08-07-09: 3:36, 3:34+, 3:33
    • 09-01-09: 3:27, 3:25+, 3:26
    • 11-16-09: 3:47, 3:49, 3:51
    • 12-08-09: 3:31, 3:32, 3:30
    • 01-10-10: 3:32, 3:30, 3:31
    • 01-21-10: 3:28+, 3:26+, 3:23 (w/B70 leggings)
    • 03-02-10: 3:28, 3:29, 3:27 (w/TYR leggings)
    • 04-09-10: 3:34, 3:28, 3:27 (w/endurance jammers)
    • 08-16-10: 3:34+, 3:37, 3:38 (w/endurance jammers)
    • 05-06-11: 3:32, 3:29, 3:31 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 06-03-11: 3:27+, 3:26+, 3:26 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 07-04-11: 3:30, 3:36, 3:42 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 09-07-11: 3:41, 3:37, 3:37
    • 10-07-11: 3:42, 3:39, 3:36
    • 11-10-11: 3:30, 3:26+, 3:27 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 11-29-11: 3:30, 3:34, 3:37 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 01-02-12: 3:46, 3:44, 3:41+ (Yingfa jammers)
    • 01-31-12: 3:39, 3:36, 3:35 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 02-27-12: 3:34, 3:30+, 3:27+ (Nike lycra brief)
    • 03-26-12: 3:28, 3:25, 3:24 (ancient paper jammers) best non-tech-suit performance
    • 05-19-12: 3:32, 3:34, 3:35 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 06-19-12: 3:30, 3:28, 3:25+ (Nike lycra brief)
    • 07-12-12: 3:44, 3:42, 3:30 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 08-19-12: 3:32, 3:31, 3:33 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 09-14-12: 3:31+, 3:31, 3:29 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 03-25-13: 4:05, 4:00+, 3:57 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 04-12-13: 3:48, 3:45, 3:42 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 05-10-13: 3:42+, 3:39, 3:40 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 08-11-13: 3:50, 3:45, 3:40 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 08-31-13: 3:39, 3:37, 3:34+ (ancient paper jammers)
    • 10-05-13: 3:38+, 3:33+, 3:32(ancient paper jammers)
    • 11-09-13: 3:28, 3:31, 3:29 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 03-29-14: 3:39, 3:35, 3:33 (Yingfa jammers plus silicon cap)
    • 05-06-14: 3:37, 3:39, 3:38
    • 06-03-14: 3:30, 3:28+, 3:28 (endurance jammers)
    • 07-10-14: 3:27, 3:25, 3:26+ (Finis Hydrospeed jammer)
    • 08-19-14: 3:37, 3:34, 3:33 (Finis Hydrospeed jammer)
    • 05-03-15: 3:40, 3:34, 3:30 (Finis Hydrospeed hammer)
    • 07-06-15: 3:32, 3:36, ... skipped (Finis hydrospeed jammer)
    • 08-16-15: 3:38, 3:35, 3:32 (endurance jammers)
    • 09-14-15: 3:32+, 3:32+, 3:29 (endurance jammers)
    • 10-19-15: 3:27, 3:28, 3:31 (endurance jammers)
    • 03-13-16: 3:35, 3:33, 3:33 (old TYR Tracer Light)
    • 05-10-16: 3:44, 3:42, 3:38 (endurance jammers)
    • 06-14-16: 3:32, 3:30, 3:28 (old B70 tech jammers)
    • 08-07-16: 3:34, 3:37, 3:35 (old B70 tech jammers)

3 x 50: active recovery

TOTAL: 2,750 SCM

Comments:

9. Not-so-ready-and-yet-happy to race

by , August 4th, 2016 at 08:29 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This is the world's longest kick-in-the-pants (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?393...nts-to-kick-in) ...

Sunday, July 31st - Actually had a very fun and hard workout doing my "Fartlekking around" workout from here - http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...-2-Week-5-of-5. My times were more respectable on rounds 1 and 2, but then I totally crashed and burned on round 3. The good news is that it was a legitimate crash & burn from having put forth a lot of effort.

This week started off as planned with a quick 1,450 SCM at home Monday morning before a flight over to San Francisco for some mid-year strategy meetings and team events with my team. We had some fun at EscapeSF (http://questroomsf.com/) and then a great dinner at The Barrel Room (http://www.barrelroomsf.com/, highly recommended for a small group party), but the evening ran late and it ruined my resolve to hit the 5:20am Stanford Masters workout on Tuesday.

I did manage to get over to Westmoor-Giammona in Daly City Tuesday evening and somehow manage to get through a backstroke rendition of my Aussie 200 workout in the scrum that is evening lap swim there. Never have I experienced a pool that is so different between the utter calm of morning lap hours and the ten-ring circus that is evening time there - with a mix of poorly managed lap lanes, swim lessons, swim team and then random kids doing WTF wherever-TF they feel like. It's a great testament to the value of a community pool, but maybe a little more chaos than I needed.

The unfortunate side effect of a harder evening swim on Tuesday night meant that my mind was alive until well after midnight ... which meant that I didn't make the Burlingame Masters workout on Wednesday morning.

I'm back home today and did squeeze in what I can call an 'Aussie 100' workout this morning, clocking in 2,250 SCM before my 7am call.

As for racing this weekend, I am kind of excited to head down to Tucson (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2094&smid=8125) on Saturday to race the 200 free, 200 back and 200 IM. I don't expect my times to be fast, but, since I've swum it so rarely, there's an outside shot I could get a best time in the 200 back. What's really cool is that, with only 83 TOTAL swimmers entered in the entire meet, we have a completely stacked 200 free...

name time
    Darian Townsend 01:49.3
    Jared Moreno 02:02.8
    Jordon Belton 02:04.0
    Adrian Kirkpatrick 02:05.0
    Patrick Brundage 02:06.7
    Jeffrey Utsch 02:07.4
    Justin Madison 02:10.0

... I only wish I was in shape to be able to hang with someone in that heat! I think I'll be lucky if I'm sub 2:15!

10. PacMasters Champs (aka A Kick in the Pants to Get Training)

by , July 24th, 2016 at 06:47 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I went to bed last night with no alarm set and the attitude that, if I was awake in time to get to the gorgeous College of San Mateo (CSM) pool ...

... in time to check-in for the 400 free, I would swim it; if not, so it goes!

Somehow, despite staying up until around midnight reading the latest Jeffrey Archer book, I woke up a little after 6am; had some coffee, cereal, blueberries and a banana; did my Rodney Yee 20 minute "AM Stretch" yoga audio program; and was at the pool in just the right amount of time to check-in, sunblock up and get in a K of warmup in the ever-so-perfectly-crisply-temp'd pool.

Unpaid Promotional Advertisement - If the Pacific Masters hosts their LCM Champs at CSM again and you can make it here, do it. The pool is fast, deep and cool; the organization of the event is A+ with deck-check-in for every event ensuring full heats and efficient running of the meet; there are a mixture of sunny, shaded and indoor spots to sit in; the scoreboard is one of the best I've seen; there's a great mix of competition; they offer graduated pricing for entries (e.g., 1 event price; 2-4 events; 5+ events) so you can align your costs to your availability; and the view south over Silicon Valley is exceptional.

As great as the venue and meet was, my swimming was a stark and harsh reminder of the cold reality that long course racing exposes one's lack of conditioning in ways that SCY or SCM never will. Aside from my 50 fly, my times were just downright horrible ... and, yet, this was just the right kick in the pants I needed to force me to find my training mojo.

Here's what happened:
    • 400 free - When I entered the meet thinking this would be a semi-tapered affair, I put in my 4:27.99 time from '12 Nationals in Omaha. Based upon my training of late, I was hoping to dip under 4:40, but ended up at 4:43.07. The only time I've been slower was back in 2014 in Flagstaff at altitude (and, even then, I was 4:43.7). With that said, my goal was to descend my last 3 x 100s and my splits of 1:08.0, 1:12.1, 1:11.8 and 1:11.1 lead me to think that I probably could have done a somewhat respectable 9:35-9:40 had I swum the 800 last night.
      • Huge congrats to Susan Preston of Stanford Masters who came incredibly close to breaking the 50-54 women's National Record (she was 4:41.18 vs. a record of 4:40.66). I hope for her that she's got another shot. It looks like she crushed the NR on Saturday night in the 800, going a 9:34.12 when the old record was 9:48.81!

• 50 fly - While it surely helps that this was only a 50, my speed wasn't horrible and I was 29.22, making this my 3rd best 50 as a Masters' swimmer and respectably close to my 28.39 best. After this, I actually had a modicum of confidence about my 200 fly.
    • 200 fly - If there is one event that exposes a lack of training, it is the 200 long course fly. I can 'fake' a 200 SCM/SCY fly and swim pretty respectably on almost any training base, but not so with the long course version. I went out slow - or what I thought was controlled - and proceeded to get slower. In all my summer racing history over a wide variety of generally sub-par training, I've never been slower than 2:25.9 and my best is 2:19.09. My goal going into this was to get under 2:30, but I didn't even make that - 2:33.57 - ugh.

... and, in spite of my shyte-full results, I really enjoyed the morning/early afternoon of racing, and it has provided me with the right motivation to get back training again!
  11. Nats Day 4 - Blue Moon and the GEOAT

by , May 1st, 2016 at 02:44 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    While I wasn't one of the people responsible for apparently draining all the kegs ordered for the Beer Garden at the meet on Saturday night, I did decide to chillax a little at our family dinner that evening and had a Blue Moon beer with dinner. Normally at Nationals, I never drink until the meet is over, but, after how dead I was concluding the 200 IM on Saturday, I figured one beer couldn't hurt my 400 IM this morning.

I slept like a dog last night - out cold around 11:30pm and I awoke on my own at 6:45am. I did some light yoga, had a bowl of instant oatmeal and hit the Starbucks for a quad espresso before heading over to the GAC. Strangely, given how poor my IM performance was on Saturday, I was probably more excited and more calmly pumped for my 400 IM that I can recall ever being at a Nationals. Traditionally, it is the first event on Friday and, hence, my first event of the meet. As it's my favorite race, it is also the race that I normally place the most expectations on myself and so I'm usually anxious and jumpy before it.

Today's mood was about as close to 180 degrees away from that as possible; I was just looking forward to a good race. I knew I wasn't going to keep up with Nicholas Granger in lane 5 and so determined to just put blinders on for that side of the pool. Fortunately, I was next to Dave Wharton in lane 7 and I figured, based upon the meet he was having, that the race for second would be with him. Knowing that I'm a stronger backstroker and he's a stronger breaststroker than me, I just aimed to stick as close to him on the fly as possible, tried to get as far ahead on the backstroke as I could, hoped I would not lose too much ground on the breaststroke and then steeled myself for a gut buster to the finish on the free. The race played out almost exactly as I expected. The one part of the race that surprised me was the back to breast turn. I had purposefully done an open turn instead of a rollover to try to get a big gulp of air before the breaststroke pullout (always the strongest part of that stroke for me), but I guess I had expended a bit too much energy on the backstroke as I pushed off and quickly realized that I needed to get to the surface for air. This is only the second time in my life I can remember NOT doing an underwater breaststroke pullout (the last was Omaha 2012), but it was the right decision.

I somehow managed to hang on for second and was extremely pumped to see 4:20.28 on the scoreboard. While I've been faster at three Nationals before ...
    • 2012 - 4:15.17
    • 2008 - 4:17.04
    • 2003 - 4:20.07

... this was faster than the 4:21.19 from Santa Clara in 2014 and that was my only goal for this event for the meet.

I know that everyone would agree that the 400 IM is the Greatest Event Of All Time so you can understand my special joy in wrapping up Nationals with a great swim in that wondrous event. As I've not done a lot of focused IM training this season, this time really left me pumped and feeling like I can get under my 4:15 best time next year!

Off to get some good pit BBQ before the flight home and then a couple of days away from the pool!
  12. Nats Day 3 - humbled and still happy

by , April 30th, 2016 at 09:32 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This was a rough day - recorded the two worst times I've ever done at a Nationals in both the 500 free and the 200 IM - and, yet, still emerged from the GAC today happy and smiling.

500 free

• Best time jammers - 4:50.18 (Greensboro '12)
    • Last year in San Antonio - 4:55.30
    • Today - 4:57.60
    • Comments:
      • Going into the race, I had figured that going under last year's time was going to be a breeze. I wasn't confident that I could get down to the time from 4 years ago, but I figured something in the 4:52 to 4:54 range was eminently doable.
      • My race strategy was pretty simple - try to go out the first 350 and hang with whoever was in the lead while keeping 13SPL and a tight, two-beat kick. After that I intended to ramp up the stroke count to 15 for a 75, while still keeping a two-beat, and then intended to add the legs for the last 75.
      • I kind of did that for a bit, but struggled to keep the stroke count at 13 by about the 200. I was only at 14, but was definitely not feeling a lot of love and juice coming from my arms. When Steve Unruh started his move around the 300, I asked my body for the next gear ... and it wasn't there.
      • In the end, it wasn't so much that I died, but I just never had a faster gear - splits were 56.4, 59.9, 1:00.8, 1:00.5, 59.9

200 IM

• Best time jammers - 2:00.94 (Greensboro '12)
    • 2014 Santa Clara - 2:01.99
    • Today - 2:06.59
    • Comments:
      • Well, that sucked. Started slow, felt kind of beat from the get-go and never got going. Probably my worst ever swim at a Nationals ever, I'm pretty sure.

... but, whatever disappointment I felt from the IM dissipated later in the day as my father, older sister, daughter and I got ready for the mixed medley relay. Ahead of the race, we spent an inordinate, yet mildly hilarious time trying to get a mixture of family photos and then got down to the event. In the end, we weren't competitive (as we were in the 18+ age group), but we had fun. We wrapped the family fun with a very nice dinner out tonight.

... and I'm looking forward to the 400 IM tomorrow!

Updated April 30th, 2016 at 09:41 PM by pwb

Categories
  13. Nats Day 2 - Broke the best times streak, but still happy

by , April 29th, 2016 at 04:57 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I had gone 6 for 6 best times in my individual events when I swam in Greensboro in 2012 and had hoped to keep that streak going at least through today, but, unlike my 1000 yesterday where I went out fast, I couldn't muster the right front half speed on my 100 today to notch up a best time. Still, I was very happy with this light and fun day of racing.

50 backstroke

• Best time tech suit - 27.23 (Sept 2009)
    • Best time jammers - 27.93 (Jan 2012)
    • Today - 27.15
    • Comments:
      • I was bummed that the lines were too long in warmup for me to try out the backstroke starting devices and so I opted to not try something new in the race.
      • This was one of those races where I figured, if nothing else went right this weekend, I'd at least get one best time (jammers best) as I'd never swum this tapered and shaved.
      • While it felt like I did everything wrong - too deep on the start, too long underwater, jammed the turn, felt like I was spinning instead of swimming and took an extra stroke at the finish - the time result was great and much faster than I thought I'd do, knocking off an old tech suit swim (leggings, not bodysuit) from 2009.
      • Great way to start to the day.

100 free
    • Best time tech suit - 48.12 (Mar 2009)
    • Best time jammers - 50.36 (Jan 2011)
    • Today - 50.71
    • Comments:
      • While this wasn't a best time, I was probably even happier with this than the 50 back. I've not been under 51.68 since I went that 50.36 back in 2011.
      • While it would've been nice to get under the jammers best, 2011 was a season when I was training to be a sprinter and I've been doing next to no speed work lately.
      • My splits - 24.97 / 25.74 - show two things: (a) my lack of sprint training and (b) my lack of gutsiness. If there was one part of this race that I was disappointed in, it is that I probably held back too much on the first 50.
      • Like the 1000 where I still think I have the ability to get under 10:00, I still think I've got one more sub-50 100 in me in the future.

Now it's just some work this afternoon, a nice dinner tonight and then a helluva race tomorrow morning in the 500!
  14. Nats Day 1 - I'm no Katie Ledecky ...

by , April 28th, 2016 at 02:06 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... and maybe I shouldn't have had that extra shot of espresso about 20 minutes ahead of my 1000 today, but the end result at least got me to my first level of 'swim nirvana' - a best time!

I will say that my trip out yesterday, last night and this morning was the smoothest and least nerve-wracking that I can ever recall before a big meet. I was ultra calm, felt almost no worry about my race today, slept very well - especially given the timezone change, and was supremely confident in warmups. Yes, I did get a little nerves around heat 19 ( I was in heat 23), but nothing like I normally feel before my first race at a Nationals. I'm sure it helped that my memories of swimming here in 2012 are beyond positive - I went 6 for 6 best times then and really surprised myself on some of my swims. It also helped that I was very confident in my training leading up to this.

I had a race plan going into the 1000 today that was very similar to what I've done the last two times I've raced it:
    • First 400 - try to get into a 13 SPL and feel smooth
    • Next 300 - as needed, bump up to 14 SPL
    • Next 200 - go to 15 SPL
    • Last 100 - whatever the hell I've got

... but I also decided that I was going to just go with whatever feel I had at the start of the race and try to get into a pretty fast stroke rate. The one thing I did not want to happen was to lock into too slow a stroke rate or to feel like I had too much left at the end of the race.

Well, I clearly accomplished the last goal - I was pretty hurting by around the 650-750 - and had as close to zero in the tank at the touch as I wanted. I also generally held to the stroke rate and count plan, though I could feel my stroke getting sloppy around the same point that I started to get tired. My splits tell the story of the pain ...
    • 500s - 4:58.3 - 5:11.6
    • 200s - 1:56.2 - 2:00.8 - 2:03.4 - 2:05.0 - 2:04.5

... but I touched just under 10:10 at 10:09.92 for the overall win and a best time by 4 seconds

The only bummer is that I was very close to my next level of swim nirvana - breaking our AZ State Record from the suit era, which was 10:09.09. When I touched the wall and saw how close I was to that, I was initially bummed that I didn't get it ... but I quickly got over that and am really pleased how the meet has started.

Of course ... I still think I can go faster next year as I really want to achieve my next level of 1000 swim nirvana - sub 10!
  15. State Meet Day 2: Glad I came back for more

by , April 4th, 2016 at 01:27 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I wasn't sure until I had a good mile last night that I would even come back for today's session. I was entered in the 1000, 200 & 50 breast and 200 IM, but I did something funky to my right leg a few weeks ago and breaststroke kick has been pretty hard to non-existent making the last three events suspect. On top of that, I had to be home by 3:15/3:20 to take care of some family stuff. Even this morning, thinking about heading down there just for the 1000 when I was definitely feeling the mile in my muscles made me think twice about going, especially as I'm going to swim that at Nationals. My wife urged me out the door with this advice - you never know what's going to happen between here and Nationals and you have the opportunity to race today so just go for it.

And so I did.

And, once again, there was music to my wife's ears when I called her as I drove home and told her she was right!

1000 free

• Masters Best - 10:21.21 from March 6th, 2016 Sprinter Spectacular meet, but was 10:20.30 en route to last night's mile
    • Result - 10:13.86
    • Comments:
      • This was definitely not as smooth as the mile, more labored and more of a fight, but, once I realized that the board read 10:13 and not 10:18, I was exceedingly happy with the swim.
      • I executed my stroke count plan almost perfectly
        • 400 at 13 SPL
        • 300 at 14 SPL
        • 200 at 15 SPL (not 12 as I originally wrote)
        • 100 at whatever the hell it took

• ... but definitely felt sloppier as the race went on. In addition, as my cap started to edge up (but never off), I knew that I wasn't keeping my head as stable and down as I should.
      • Objectively, this wasn't as good a swim as my mile from the night before, but doing this today gave me a lot of confidence that I can get under 10:10 at Nationals.
      • And, while I certainly fell off the pace on the last half of the race ...
        • 200s
          • 1:58.6
          • 2:03.2
          • 2:03.9
          • 2:04.9
          • 2:03.3

• 500s
          • 5:03.57
          • 5:10.29

• ... and I got tired, I felt more prepared to push this the whole way, albeit maybe jumped out a little too hard on the first 100 at 57.50.

Very happy that my focus on distance over the last number of months is paying off in faster times. I just need to put in a couple of solid weeks of training and then see if a longer taper results in even faster swims.

Updated April 4th, 2016 at 11:42 AM by pwb

Categories
  16. State Meet Day 1: Glad I shaved

by , April 3rd, 2016 at 12:05 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    You could not have asked for more perfect outdoor racing conditions yesterday at the wonderful Phoenix Swim Club / Phoenix Country Day School Aquatic Center ...

... with temperatures for our afternoon to early evening session in the 80s, albeit probably a little colder by the 6:50pm dive time of my 1650, and the water temperature probably right around 79 (e.g., just the hint of a chill when you jump in and no overheating on the mile). I really wasn't sure if my one week taper was going to work or not, but, at least for my events of focus - 200 fly and 1650 - it worked perfectly!

200 fly
    • Masters Best - 2:00.45 (Greensboro '12 Nationals)
    • Result - 2:01.33
    • Comments:
      • This certainly did not feel pretty; I haven't been training much fly this season and sloppy but fast was the best way to describe how it felt.
      • I definitely pushed the first 50 too fast and paid for it on the last 50, but the time was fantastic. Splits were 27.17, 30.55, 31.38, 32.23
      • Bodysuit times excluded, I've only been faster three other times and my last effort at Nationals in '14 at Santa Clara was a 2:01.93:
        • 2012 - Greensboro - 2:00.45
        • 2008 - Austin - 2:00.96
        • 2011 - USAS meet - 2:01.19

• I really do need to take a season and focus on this race as I'm 100% convinced I've got a sub 2 minute race in me.

100 IM
    • Masters Best - 55.42 (Greensboro '12 Nationals)
    • Result - 58.71
    • Comments:
      • Clearly, my drop taper was not suited to a sprint. Sloppy but slow is the best way to describe this. Truly no part of this race felt good.

• Masters Best - 17:18.11 (Santa Clara 2001 Nationals)
    • Result - 17:07.79
    • Comments:
      • Man was I ever stoked when I saw this time. While I haven't raced this much since I first got back into Masters in 2001, the last time I did this in 2014, I was 17:35.
      • This is a race that has always scared me as the pain can be unrelenting. My problem, going back to my age group days, when I swam bad races was going out too hard and having that silverback gorilla (not a mere monkey) crash onto my back along with a piano and maybe a small army of Liliputians poking sharp daggers all over my body.
      • As I did with the last 1000 I swam in early March, I went in with a stroke count plan to try to control the front part of the race:
        • 1st 300 - 11 to 12 SPL
        • Next 900 - 13 SPL
        • Next 200 - 14 SPL
        • Next 200 - 15 SPL
        • Last 50 - give it what I got

• What was excellent about this race is that Kurt Dickson was right next to me and going for a 1000 split, so, while I did try to keep my head in the game and focus on my stroke count, it also helped to have him there as a gauge. Super distance stud that he is, he had already done the 4K OW race that morning (which I skipped), but I figured (correctly) that that wouldn't slow him down. He was 10:17.80!
      • I will say that this still hurt and the pain came sooner than I would like - around the 1000 to 1100 mark - and that validated my decision to not race this at Nationals in favor of the 1000. I also lost my 13 SPL count right at the 1050 and went up to 14, but then, after getting to the 1400, really didn't have any additional 'gear' to rev up for the finish.
      • Splits
        • 300s
          • 3:02.95
          • 3:06.94
          • 3:08.11
          • 3:08.77
          • 3:09.94

• 500s
          • 5:07.66
          • 5:12.64
          • 5:15.41

• Was at 10:20.30 at the 1000, which is now an unofficial new best time as I was 10:21.21 in March.

• Still, that's a great swim for me ... but ... like the 200 fly and the two minute barrier ... has me thinking I've got to keep training for this to break the 17 minute barrier (which I did once in Masters in a B70 bodysuit).

I'm going back today to race the 1000 and am going to try to see if I've got anything left after last night. Through a clusterf**k on the part of the meet organizers (IMHO), Kurt will not be in the 1000: they limited the entries to the first 24 swimmers because they originally intended to run 8 lanes. However, now they are running 10 lanes, but not allowing more entries ... which means we'll have one heat with 4 swimmers and 6 empty lanes. For an otherwise excellently run meet, this one's a head scratcher.

Updated April 3rd, 2016 at 01:23 PM by pwb

Categories
  17. 0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry

by , March 6th, 2016 at 04:45 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Today at the (un-aptly named for me) Sprinters Spectacular, I think I had the most fun and most pleasant 1000 I've swum since 1984, when I swam a picture perfect 9:17.75 in my junior year of HS, the swim I credit with catching Eddie Reese's eye (as he was at a meet in Potomac Valley to recruit another guy who was a senior). I didn't have anyone to race, so I planned and executed almost to perfection a stroke count/rate strategy ...
    • 1st 400 - 13SPL
    • Next 300 - 14 SPL
    • Next 200 - 15 SPL
    • Last 100 - ignore stroke count and throw my legs into it.

I don't have any splits yet, but I touched at 10:21.21, which, while not gargantuan, represented a 0.8 second drop from my best time, which was done last year at this meet. The best part about the race was that I felt like I really held my stroke together throughout the entirety, with three key focal points:
    • stroke count
    • consistent breathing pattern
    • keeping my head looking down

I'll be interested to see my splits, which should come out tomorrow or possibly later today in the meet results, and compare them with last year's negative split (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?354...split-decision).

After the 1000, I had a little bit of time to recovery and rest up for the 25 fly, which, like last year (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?354...ot-Sprint-quot), was done from a 'flat start' off the bulkhead, but I managed to just dip under 12 seconds at 11.96 versus last year's 12.45.

There wasn't much more rest before the 200 fly and I really wanted to use this race as a checkpoint on where my 'race endurance' and fly were. No splits yet, but this felt like a well-executed 2:04.10, which is the fastest in-season swim I've gone since 2012. What this race convinced me to do is blow off the 400 IM on the first day of our State Meet in a few weeks (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?383...Calf-amp-Slick) so I can see if I can put up a better time without a long race ahead of it.

The last race I did was the 50 "Anything Goes" in which I donned my old B70 Bodysuit and my monofin. I went from the blocks and pushed this as hard as I could, but it felt slow. I completely pulled an age-grouper move on the finish - as I was desperate for air (I took only one breath before the turn), I was rapidly surfacing and touched on top of the pad. So, my time was not official, but the timer got me at 21.35, which is not quite the 21.1 I went when racing Misty in this back in 2014 (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?32577-Misty-Meet-Day-2), but better than the 21.90 I went last year.

At this point in the meet, I was still entered in the 100 fly, 50 fly and 25 free, but had little energy left. I considered the rest of my meet to be entering nationals:

Nationals Entry

Thursday, April 28, 2016
    #2 1000 Freestyle 10:21.21

Friday, April 29, 2016
    #12 50 Backstroke 27.93
    #14 100 Freestyle 51.68 - Sixth Event

Saturday, April 30, 2016
    #22 500 Freestyle 4:55.30
    #28 200 Individual Medley 2:01.99

Sunday, May 1, 2016
    #38 400 Individual Medley 4:21.21
  18. Fuseless pulse plot and Blasting cap IMs

by , February 12th, 2016 at 07:19 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    The day off yesterday did me well and I felt refreshed and fabulous today on this workout where I capped off my Salo Pulse Plot test set with a bunch of blast IMs from Workout #3 (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...-Start-Feb-8th). The only bummer about today was that I was hoping my Mio Fuse watch would do a good job of measuring my heart rate. I had read in a thread elsewhere here that the watch was water proof and did a good job measuring HR in the water. While both of those were true, the user interface on the watch is minimal and it was hard to nigh impossible to get an 'instant read' of my HR when I wanted to. I messed around with the watch during warmup to see if it would work and just got frustrated with it, so I fell back on the tried and true fingers on the neck & counting method.

TECH RANT ON - I know all the rage in tech seems to be to mash a gajillion features and functions into every gadget, but I really prefer single purpose tech. For a watch, I really just need it to tell me time and to be able to change the time when I move timezones. For a smart phone, I really don't need it to be any smarter than having talk, text and a functional browser. For a swimmer-specific heart rate monitor, my dream tech would be:
    • a very small, unobtrusive measurement device that could ideally stick to my skin. I'd like a dime size suction cup that either sits on my neck or wrist. I really hate the stroke impacts of wearing a watch/wriststrap, so would love to get away from that.
    • I'd then want that device to continually transmit (bluetooth) to a small, waterproof display that I could sit at the edge of the pool.
    • That way, any time I swim to the wall, I can look up and check my pulse.
    • I don't need it to download or upload to my phone. I don't need any tracking website.

... too bad, of course, I dropped out of electrical engineering in my junior year or else I'd figure out how to build this myself! TECH RANT OFF

Warmup Sets (1,750 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, k/d
    • 4 x 100: on 1:20, free swim w/snorkel, descend (1:10, 1:07, 1:03, 1:02)
    • 4 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick on back descend (1:24, 1:24, 1:22, 1:22)
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 & #6 easy free w/snorkel, #2 to #5 strong IM (0:30, 0:32, 0:37, 0:29)
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast IM order
    • 1 x 50: easy w/snorkel

Salo Pulse Plot (1,000 set / 2,750 total)

8 x 100: on 3:00, pulse plot, going 70-80-90-100-100-90-80-70 percent effort and taking pulse at 0:10, 0:30 and 1:00 after each repeat

• 02/19/2014 - 1:08, 1:04, 1:02, 1:00+, 1:00+, 1:01+, 1:05, 1:06
    • 03/20/2014 - 1:05, 1:00, 0:59, 0:57+, 0:56, 0:59, 1:01+, 1:04
    • 12/02/2015 - 1:08, 1:05, 1:01, 0:57, 0:57, 1:00+, 1:05, 1:07.5
    • 01/28/2016 - 1:10, 1:07, 1:02, 0:59, 0:59, 1:05+, 1:09, 1:12
    • 02/12/2016 - 1:08, 1:04, 0:59, 0:57, 0:57+, 1:00, 1:05, 1:06

4 x 50: active recovery on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50

Blast Fast IMs (1,650 set / 4,400 total)
    10 rounds of (100-50) on 2:20

• IMs fast, trying to hold 1:05s (e.g., target 400 IM pace divided by 4)
      • was soldi 1:06s

• 50s easy

3 x 50: active recovery on 0:40, 0:45

TOTAL: 4,400 SCY

Comments:

• I was pretty happy with my performance on the Pulse Plot, but really thrilled with the 100 IMs. My fly is feeling super awesome.
    • Probably because of that super awesome fly feeling, I entered a whack load of fly for the March 6th Swim Devil Masters Sprinter Spectacular (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...44&smid=7437):
      • I'm hoping to swim solid to very solid times on the 1000 and 200 fly and then have fun with the rest.
      • The 50 free I have entered is the 'anything goes' event and I'll don an old B70 Nero tech suit and do that SDK with my monofin
      • Event
        Number
        Sex Distance Stroke Time Date
        1 Men 1000 SCY Free 10:22.05 03/06/2016
        3 Men 25 SCY Fly 0:11.56 03/06/2016
        8 Men 200 SCY Fly 2:04.50 03/06/2016
        12 Men 50 SCY Free 0:24.05 03/06/2016
        16 Men 100 SCY Fly 0:58.20 03/06/2016
        19 Men 50 SCY Fly 0:26.82 03/06/2016
        22 Men 25 SCY Free 0:11.33 03/06/2016
  19. 4K in under an hour

by , February 1st, 2016 at 10:43 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    It was a cold, windy and spitting mid-morning when Kurt and I walked onto the deck at Cactus Aquatic Center. In the 20+ lap lanes, there was just one other swimmer and the lifeguards did not look too pleased to see two more. Whatever ... no lightning and warm water, so we got in and cranked through this short rest workout, one that I had written here - http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...Start-Jan-11th - and apparently adapted from a prior workout done with Burlingame Masters

Warmup Sets (1,200)
    1 x 200: IM, kick-drill
    Get your equipment lined up and ready to roll through the next three straight on the interval - I used a snorkel for all and added the buoy for the 300
    1 x 300: on 3:45, free pull, make it (3:31)
    2 x 200: on 2:25, free swim, make it (2:19s)
    3 x 100: on 1:10, make it (1:05s)

Main Set (2,800 set / 4,000 total)
    3 rounds of
    • 1 x 150: no-free IM kick on 3:00, build each 50 to fast
    • 3 x 200: free swim, make these and descend these on the intervals
      • #1 on 2:25
      • #2 on 2:20
      • #3 on 2:15
      • Round 1 - 2:14, 2:112, 2:11
      • Round 2 - 2:12, 2:11, 2:07
      • Round 3 - 2:11, 2:09, 2:05

• 3 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #3 are cruise free, #2 is BLAST FAST stroke, fly-back-breast by round
      • None of my 'blast fast' were fast

1 x 100: float down with snorkel

TOTAL: 4,000 SCY

Comments:
    • Always great to swim with Kurt and we just plowed through this; it wasn't a 'touch-and-go' workout, but we didn't get a lot of rest. After taking Sunday off, this was a good way to get going.
    • Originally, there was supposed to be a Masters Meet in Mesa over the Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend, but they're not hosting it. That means I've got 5 weeks until we hopefully have the Swim Devil Sprint Meet and then another 4 weeks after that will be our State Championships. Meet flyers aren't up for either of those so I'm not sure what will be offered, but I'm really hoping it will work out that I can swim the 1000 at the Swim Devil meet and then the 1650 at the State meet.
    • Originally, our State Meet was the March 26th/27th weekend, which was going to be perfect as it would have allowed me to see how I did in each of the 1000 and the 1650 before the Nationals entry deadline so I could pick the right one for Friday of the meet.
    • As I won't be able to do that, I'm pretty sure my Nationals line up will be:
      • Thursday - 1000 free
      • Friday - I'm debating just making this a fun day and doing the 50 back and 100 free, but the siren song of the 200 fly is very seductive.
      • Saturday - I figure I have to swim the 500 free and the 200 IM. It's rare the 200 IM is not the last event on Sunday and I can't pass up the opportunity for a good race in the 500 (plus, I'll be in better shape than I was last year)
      • Sunday - With promises to myself to moderate my expectations, much like Saturday, I can't pass up the opportunity to swim the 400 IM.

• Even better than my individual events at Nationals, though, will be the resurrection of "Brundage Swim Masters" and mixed relays with my Dad and my two sisters.
  20. Olympic Club 1500

by , January 31st, 2016 at 02:22 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I really could not have asked for a better day, a better setup for a meet, a better run meet ...

... nor a cooler 100 foot long pool to do some extra warmup and cool-down in ...

for today's Olympic Club 1500. I guess I could have asked for less shaky hands taking that second photo as I left, but a 1500 takes a lot out of an old man like me!

While my 17:20.94 result today was smack in line with the expectations / goal I had set coming into the meet (e.g., be between my best of 17:10 and where I started last fall's season in late September at 17:26), in my heart I wanted to be closer to 17:10 than 17:26. When I cut myself some slack on the flight home by remembering that slightly more than 4 weeks ago I had been out of the water for almost two weeks between illness and my dislocated pinky, the swim and my perception of it got rosier and rosier. Also, when I considered the excellent week of training I had last week (22K of pretty intense stuff) and the little bit of rest I did between Wednesday and Friday, this looks even better. I am determined to get under 17:00 before 2016 closes out and this race is a good start towards that goal.

Other notes and highlights from the meet:
    • Thanks to these here forums, I caught up a bit with Matt Miller and Juliet Cox, with Juliet and I counting for each other and me for Matt. Matt had a great swim - best time - and Juliet's swim looked very good, and well under her entry time.
    • I managed to only get myself lapped once by the two young guys who beat me, but couldn't manage to keep up with Heidi George who was 17:06. She was in lane 3 and I in lane 6; while I could see her for some of the race, she got away from me ... and then I got really tired for the last 500-600
    • The big race learning for me was that I was too conservative in my stroke rate at the start of the race. I wanted to make sure I didn't try to go out with the young guns in lanes 4 and 5, but was probably too languid right from the start and locked myself right into a 1:09 pace, instead of the 1:08 pace I wanted.
      • Given that my workouts of late reinforced that I don't have an easy speed, this was probably a mistake.
      • On the other hand, the broken mile set and the Aussie 400 set I did earlier in the week, where I really struggled to hit 1:01s and had 1:02s in SCY feeling more like a sustainable mile race pace, were both very predictive of my results today. That's actually great news as it means if I can get those sets to be more in the 0:59 to 1:00+ range and feeling smooth, I should be ready to pop off a great mile.

• My 300 splits were fine enough except the 4th one:
      • 3:25.2
      • 3:27.8
      • 3:27.9
      • 3:32.5 (ouch)
      • 3:28.6

• And my 500s paint the picture of me slowing down, as well:
      • 5:44.2
      • 5:47.4
      • 5:49.4

• I am not sure I can make this event an annual one, but I'd sure like to come back again. The pool is a very good, consistent depth; the lighting is great and it's setup as an actual 25M pool meaning that you're only ever dealing with one cross before each turn.
    • My other big learning is that if I ever were to live in downtown San Francisco, I'd want to figure out a way (and the likely high finances) to become a member at this ultra-chic club. I could find happiness swimming in these pools.

Full results and splits are here - http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/1...00_Splits.html

Pools I've trained and/or competed in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim Center (Tucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Centre Competition Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club - Competition Pool (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center - 25M Diving Tank course (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center shallow pool (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clarke Swim Center 25 SCY course (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC -- old 50M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Baker Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)
    59. Rengstorff Pool (Mountain View, CA)
    60. Coronado Municipal Pool (Coronado, CA)
    61. Eagle Park (Mountain View, CA)
    62. James City / Williamsburg Community Center (Williamsburg, VA)
    63. NOVA Aquatics Center deep pool (Richmond, VA)
    64. Belmont Plaza outdoor pool (Long Beach, CA)
    65. Laguna Beach HS Pool (CA)
    66. Lifetime Fitness (Florham Park, NJ)
    67. USF Koret Aquatic Center (San Fran)
    68. Lifetime Athletic (Vernon Hills, IL)
    69. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Bellardi Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    70. Fremont Hills Country Club (Los Altos Hills, CA)
    71. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    72. Burlingame Aquatic Center (Burlingame, CA)
    73. Medgar Evers Pool (Seattle, WA)
    74. McGill Memorial Pool (Montreal, QC)
    75. Montreal Downtown YMCA (Montreal, QC)
    76. College of San Mateo (CA)
    77. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    78. Josh Davis Natatorium (San Antonio, TX)
    79. Bill Walker Pool (San Antonio, TX)
    80. JCC of San Diego
    81. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    82. El Pomar Natatorium (University of Denver)
    83. Mt Lebanon Swim Center (PA)
    84. Fritz Sick Memorial Pool (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    85. University of Calgary Aquatic Centre (Alberta)
    86. Kinsmen Aquatic Centre (Edmonton, Alberta)
    87. Eau Claire YMCA (Calgary, Alberta)
    88. Talisman Centre Training Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    89. Burgess Memorial Pool (Menlo Park, CA)
    90. Kona Kai Resort (San Diego, CA)
    91. Sierra Recreation Center (Mission Viejo, CA)
    92. ACAC -- new (2012) 25M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    93. Greater Richmond Aquatic Partnership / 2008 Olympic Trials Pool (Richmond, VA)
    94. Golden Bear Pool (Berkeley, CA)
    95. Cal Lutheran University Community Pool (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    96. North Beach Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    97. Calgary Winter Club (Calgary, Canada)
    98. Orange Memorial Pool (South San Francisco, CA)
    99. Hamilton Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    100. Jean Brink / Oceana Pool (Pacifica, CA)
    101. City of Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center (Calabasas, CA)
    102. Oro Valley Aquatic Center (Oro Valley, AZ)
    103. Ventura Aquatic Center (CA)
    104. Claremont Resort (Berkeley, CA)
    105. Plantation Aquatic Center (Plantation, FL)
    106. Hyatt Regency Coconut Point (Bonita Springs, FL)
    107. Florida Gulf Coast University Aquatic Center (Fort Meyers, FL)
    108. Club One Union Square (San Francisco, CA)
    109. Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center (Charlotte, NC)
    110. Sunset Canyon Recreation Center LCM pool (UCLA)
    111. Chickahominy YMCA (Sandston, VA)
    112. Soda Aquatic Center (Moraga, CA)
    113. Salt Lake City/Steiner Aquatic Center (Utah)
    114. Splash Montana "The Lake" Pool (Missoula, MT)
    115. Grizzly Pool / U of Montana (Missoula, MT)
    116. Daland Swim School (1000 Oaks, CA)
    117. Rancho Simi Community Pool (Simi Valley, CA)
    118. Brisbane Community Swim Center (Brisbane, CA)
    119. Cal Lutheran University Samuelson Aquatic Center (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    120. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    121. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    122. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    123. Phoenix Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    124. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    125. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    126. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    127. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    128. Glendale Foothills Aquatic Center (Glendale, AZ)
    129. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    130. UC-Irvine Crawford Pool (Irvine, CA)
    131. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    132. Clarke Swim Center 25M pool (Walnut Creek, CA)
    133. Santa Clarita Aquatic Center (Santa Clarita, CA)
    134. Wall Aquatic Center (Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ)
    135. Sedona Community Pool (Sedona, AZ)
    136. Chinatown YMCA (New York, NY)
    137. Westmoor Giammona Pool (Daly City, CA)
    138. El Dorado Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    139. Desert Foothills Family YMCA (Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ)
    140. UCLA Student Activities Center Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    141. Brenda Villa Aquatic Center (Commerce, CA)
    142. Vanderbilt YMCA East Pool (Manhattan)
    143. USC Physical Education Department Indoor Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    144. Santa Monica Swim Center (Santa Monica, CA)
    145. Los Angeles Swimming Stadium (CA)
    146. Thad Terry Pool (Tucson, AZ)
    147. U of A Student Recreation Center (Tucson, AZ)
    148. Palm Desert Aquatic Center (Palm Desert, CA)
    149. Maggie Gilbert Aquatic Center (Pacific Palisades, CA)
    150. Verdugo Aquatic Center (Burbank, CA)
    151. Concord Community Pool (Concord, CA)
    152. YMCA Aquatic Center - 50M course (Orlando, FL)
    153. Sand Hollow Aquatic Center (St. George, UT)
    154. Van Nuys-Sherman Oaks Pool (Sherman Oaks, CA)
    155. Spieker Aquatic Center (Cal - Berkeley)
    156. Hearst North Pool (Cal-Berkeley)
    157. Kitsilano Pool (Vancouver, Canada)
    158. UBC Aquatic Centre circa 2014 (Vancouver, Canada)
    159. Hillcrest Aquatic Centre (Vancouver, Canada)
    160. Canada Games Pool (New Westminster, BC, Canada)
    161. Oxnard Aquatic Center (Oxnard, CA)
    162. Fortune Select Excalibur Hotel (Gurgaon, India)
    163. London Aquatic Centre - Training Pool (London, England)
    164. London Aquatic Centre - Competition Pool (London, England
    165. Woodbridge Community Center (Woodbridge, NJ)
    166. Raritan Bay YMCA (Perth Amboy, NJ)
    167. Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center (Camarillo, CA)
    168. Phoenix Country Day School Aquatic Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    169. Alga Norte Aquatic Center (Carlsbad, CA)
    170. East Bank Club (Chicago, IL)
    171. Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (Chicago, IL)
    172. Belmont Temporary Outdoor Pool 2014 (Long Beach, CA)
    173. UIC Natatorium (Chicago, IL)
    174. Sunnyvale Swim Complex (Sunnyvale, CA)
    175. Nitro Swimming (Cedar Park, TX)
    176. Peninsula JCC (Foster City, CA)
    177. Norris Aquatic Center (Evanston, IL)
    178. Trefethen Aquatic Center (Mills College, Oakland, CA)
    179. McKinnon Indoor Pool (University of Victoria, British Columbia)
    180. Juan de Fuca Community Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    181. Esquimalt Recreation Centre (Victoria, British Columbia)
    182. Latoff YMCA (Des Plaines, IL)
    183. Hotel Intercontinental (Chicago, IL)
    184. Marriott Courtyard on E Hubbard (Chicago, IL) ~15 to 17 yards
    185. Residence Inn LA Live (Los Angeles, CA) 25 yards
    186. Sava Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 04/09/15
    187. Evanston High School (Evanston, IL) - 04/14/15
    188. Northside ISD Competition Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/24/15
    189. Northside ISD Indoor Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/25/15
    190. San Ramon Olympic Pool (San Ramon, CA) - 05/13/15
    191. Southwest Valley YMCA (Goodyear, AZ) - 05/24/15
    192. Peter Daland Pool @ Uytengsu Aquatic Center (Univ. of Southern California) - 06/28/15
    193. Urho Saari Swim Stadium (El Segundo, CA) - 06/29/15
    194. Del Norte High School (San Diego, CA) - 07/01/15
    195. San Clemente Aquatic Center (San Clemente, CA) - 07/01/15
    196. Westwood Community Pool (Los Angeles, CA) - 07/02/15
    197. Hawthorne Pool (Hawthorne, CA) - 07/03/15
    198. Balboa Park Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 08/13/15
    199. King Swim Center (Berkeley, CA) - 09/15/15
    200. Highlands Rec Center (San Mateo, CA) - 10/12/15
    201. North Toronto Community Centre (Canada) - 10/24/15
    202. Toronto Pan Ams Sports Complex - Training Pool - 10/25/15
    203. Etobicoke Olympium Warmup Pool (Canada) - 10/26/15
    204. Shimon & Sara Birnbaum JCC (Bridgewater, NJ) - 10/27/15
    205. LA Fitness Scottsdale - 11/26/15
    206. Scottsdale YMCA - 11/27/15
    207. Vancouver Aquatic Centre (BC, Canada) - 11/28/15
    208. La Mirada Splash (La Mirada, CA) - 12/04/15
    209. Santa Clara Marriott (Santa Clara, CA) - 12/15/15
    210. Oshman JCC Bill Heller Pool (Palo Alto, CA) - 01/06/16
    211. Garfield Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 01/29/16
    212. Olympic Club Natatorium Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 01/30/2016

Open water courses trained/competed since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)
    10. Canyon Lake (Arizona)
    11. Roosevelt Lake (Arizona)
    12. Castaic Lake (California)

Updated January 31st, 2016 at 02:28 AM by pwb

Tags: pool list
    Categories
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast