View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Spinning is a d-man's dream workout

by , May 25th, 2009 at 03:42 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    My wife and I are trying to get our oldest daughter in some semblance of "biking shape" for a week long bike tour that she's doing this summer with my wife. I took her today to both of our first ever spinning class at Lifetime. I LOVED IT. After bad aerobics class experiences back in High School, I've generally been skeptical about these new-fangled, faddish group classes, but I stand corrected about spinning. We only did 60 of the 90 minutes for the class, but it seems like an excellent way for me to build some solid aerobic endurance. Given that I've changed my freestyle in the last year by adding in a 4 to 6 beat kick throughout my races, but have felt that my mid to long distance races haven't been as good as I wanted, I think that adding at least one of these classes a week to my workout routine will be beneficial.

Prior to the spin class, I did two sets of light-ish weights on some standard arm exercises (incline bench, single arm row, lateral dumbbell raise, curls, tri press and lat pulldowns). After the spin class and a 30 minute break, I did a 30 minute core class, that one joined by both my wife (who had finished her run) and my daughter.

After a break from the hottest part of the day, we're going to spend some of the afternoon riding water slides back at Lifetime.

Updated May 29th, 2009 at 11:42 AM by pwb

Categories
  2. Wear B70 this weekend?

by , May 21st, 2009 at 05:21 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Unless I'm mis-reading the official statements of the two sanctioning bodies for the meet I'm swimming in this weekend --

• USAS: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=181246&postcount=1"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - President Rob Copeland statement on FINA Release[/ame]

• USMS: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=181265&postcount=1"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - USA Swimming Statement on May 19, 2009 FINA Ruling[/ame]

I could wear my B70 in the Cactus Classic as neither of these bodies are going to make any official changes for their meets until the end of the month.

I don't need to as:

• I've already gotten about 25 races in it, so have gotten my "money's worth" ... and
    • I was planning on wearing jammers anyway as I'm just out to get baseline times

However, given that this is quite possibly the last meet where (at least in the US), the suit will be more towards the "legal" side of this ever-changing landscape, I just might wear it to see how the officials react (making sure to bring printouts of USAS official statements to the blocks) and to exact the last ounces of "value" out of the suit.

As I've contemplated this, I think I'll also bring my FSPro along for Friday night's 400 free and likely swim in it after I see how I feel in warmups:

• If I'm feeling good, I may as well wear it as it's likely the only 400 free I'll do this summer.
    • If I'm feeling bad, I may as well wear it as I'll need every advantage possible to keep up with the young pups.

As this is my first USAS meet, I'll probably also do a little bit of "do as in Rome" and see if there are a lot of tech suits out there.

The weather is cooperating with us -- high 80s to mid 90s versus the 105+ we've seen already here -- so it should be a nice weekend.

Workout today
    Was going to get up to swim @ Cactus this morning, but stayed up too late reading last night ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-Impact-Highly-Improbable/dp/1400063515"]Amazon.com: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: Nassim Nicholas Taleb: Books[/ame]). I did some gentle yoga and stretching, which is probably just as well as I could feel some lactate remnants from yesterday's swim.
  3. What suit now?

by , May 19th, 2009 at 11:56 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    With the FINA approved suit list out now (http://www.fina.org/project/index.ph...=2389&Itemid=9 and this thread that is bound to become highly read:[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=180908#post180908"]2009 FINA Approved Suit List - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]) and the B70 not there (I think I've read this correctly), I'm certain I'm asking the same question as many of us USMS competitors: what competition suit now? I haven't given this a huge amount of thought yet, but here are some initial reactions:

• I'm glad I'm not aiming to compete in a taper meet until October/November timeframe. Even before this list, I was planning to swim in a Speedo or TYR jammer this summer in the few meets and OW swims I am entering.
    • I'm hoping the summer/early fall gives me time to:
      • Listen to others' experiences with the various approved suits, and ...
      • ... possibly new suits to be released with approval (e.g., next gen B70??)

• I will buy the first approved pool tech suit from B70 when it's on the market and legal. I have just been so impressed with this suit, as well as with my B70 wetsuit; they've got my brand loyalty.
    • I will not to adopt the LZR, but might experiment with other suits if B70 doesn't have an approved suit by Sept/Oct. I don't really like my FSPro (compared to the B70) and have not heard enough compelling from other Masters (e.g., longevity, pain-in-the-a** to get on) to convince me to try this.
    • The only good news from the announcement: I now won't have any concerns about "pulling an Ande" and whipping out my current B70 in workout for some tech suit experience while training.

Obviously, more thinking and (hopefully) more suits to be released and approved.

My workout today
    I'm in San Fran area today and contemplated swimming down at Santa Clara this morning with their Masters' team, but ended up getting into my hotel late enough that I would've only gotten about 5.5 hours of sleep. I opted for more sleep (7 hrs) to hit the hotel gym (not bad) for the following:

• Walk/Run 2 miles on treadmill: walked for 15 minutes / 1 mile, then ran/walked a mile going 3:00 run and 2:00 walk
    • Arm weights: still doing relatively light, but upped to 2 sets (12 reps, 10 reps) on: incline bench, tri press, lateral arm raises, curls, single arm rows.
    • 20 minute "AM yoga" in my room ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/M-P-M-Yoga-Rodney-Yee/dp/B00007JME6"]Amazon.com: A.M. and P.M. Yoga: Rodney Yee, Patricia Walden, Steve Adams: Movies & TV[/ame])

Updated May 29th, 2009 at 11:44 AM by pwb

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  4. Teenager

by , January 11th, 2009 at 07:52 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    With all the working out I've been doing the past few months, I was feeling not quite so old as the calendar would say I was. That feeling lasted until Saturday morning when we celebrated my oldest daughter's 13th birthday. Yeah, I know lots of USMS folks have passed the milestone of having a teenager, but it somehow made me feel older than turning 40 a couple of years ago. The only saving grace for the day yesterday was when the old lady at Trader Joe's gave me a "mercy carding" when I tried to buy a few bottles of cheap wine.

What with the festivities yesterday, this weekend was limited in exercise. My back is feeling much better after taking it pretty easy for a couple of weeks and seeing the chiro a couple of times. I split a weight session over Saturday and Sunday (full body, 3 sets of 12 similar to the Program A I posted awhile ago) and got in a core class today.

On the weightlifting front, I feel like I'm ready to jump back onto the Lezak program next week, but a few weeks behind my original plan. I'll spend the rest of this month on the "endurance phase" and will be jumping back into the 2nd week of 3 sets of 15 reps next week. I imagine I'll still be a bit tentative on the poundage.

Updated January 16th, 2009 at 03:25 PM by pwb

Categories
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415