View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Hike & RANT on FINA / Universal

by , July 29th, 2013 at 07:54 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After a tough day of racing yesterday, I decided to skip the pool today in favor of a hike with #1 up Piestewa Peak. We were on the mountain a little before 6am and so had much of the hike up in the shade. I think we timed this just about right to get back down before the heat really started to stoke up the valley. It was a great hike and we made it up more quickly (~39 minutes) and with less huffing (though still a lot) than the last time in the spring. As she's on a break now after her long course season and the fall season will start slowly, we'll hopefully get out for this hike once a week.

And, now, for my rant on the Swimming World Championships coverage by FINA, NBC and Universal Sports. Well, let me exempt NBC as I was very happy with their Sunday coverage. Both my oldest and youngest daughters got quite into the action with the great 400 free individual and relay races. But, now, since my cable company doesn't carry Universal Sports (and, apparently based upon the comments on www.swimswam.com, nor does any other swimfan's cable company), I am locked out of videostreaming (even if tape delayed) until next Saturday. I really don't understand how we can go from 2008 and 2012, where swimming was such a huge draw that it was featured in prime time of the Olympics coverage, to such paltry coverage where I can't even pay to watch. If I lived in Europe (or could successfully manage to spoof my browser location, which I have tried and not been able to do), I could buy a pass on Eurosport and live stream it. But, because I'm in the US and NBC/Universal have the rights (I assume), I can't. However, Universal doesn't have the same such option; they won't let me pay to watch. I did find a sketchy bootlegged site this morning, but the video quality was poor. I really want to watch all finals sessions; all I'm asking for is about 90 minutes a day of coverage. I thought we lived in the age of the consumer-driven-market. I've got cash that I'm ready to part with to watch this, but no one will meet my need.

Back to my own swimming news, I'm going to attempt my 8 taper workouts (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...an-for-Mission) leading up to Nationals next week even though that will mean a 50% increase in my weekly volume this week over the last many months. I'm just going to ice the hell out of my shoulder, keep up the PT, and see what comes of it. The good news about yesterday's day of racing is that I didn't leave it with any residual shoulder pain (probably helped by the name-calling and harassment I put up with from Paul Smith about my excessive shoulder-whining over the 8 months or so).

Updated July 29th, 2013 at 07:59 PM by pwb

Categories
  2. Wednesday Competition!

by , June 12th, 2013 at 08:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    It's really rare to find a competitive event scheduled for a Wednesday and even more rare when the participants total 5 and are picked from a random draw. Sweet Republic, the greatest ice cream shop in the Valley of the Sun (http://sweetrepublic.com/press.html), was celebrating their 5th anniversary today with free scoops and a Fastest Double Toffee Banofi (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel..._from_swee.php) eating contest. I had promised my daughters I'd skip out for a bit this afternoon to take them over for a scoop and that we'd all enter our names to be one of the 5 people selected for the contest. Surprisingly, I was one of the 5 chosen to race-eat this fabulous desert.

I am both saddened and delighted to report the result. Sadly, but not unexpectedly as this was a sprint event, I did not win. Happily, they did not make the losers finish and so I have desert to share with my wife later tonight.

As for working out today, it was merely my PT exercises, yoga and 1,000 of drill work (200 IM kick, 6 x 100 w/snorkel, 8 x 25 w/monofin).
  3. Mono crampy

by , January 19th, 2013 at 05:10 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    As I suspected, I pushed the swimming a little too much earlier in the week and my shoulder was acting up again. On top of that, I didn't get to try out the new acupuncturist yesterday as #3 was down with strep throat; having been on the road for the previous 4 days, I was the designated parent to look after her.

I have a new child this morning thanks to the wonders of modern medicine. I know we parents often hate the pink goo and it doesn't solve every illness, but when amoxiciliin works, it works wonders.

The healthy child allowed me to get to core this morning at Lifetime and then follow up with a kick-centric workout in SCM:
    • 1 x 400: IM, kick - drill by 25s
    • 6 x 100: on 1:30, w/long fins, descend kick
      • odd laps 5 USDKs on belly into flutter kick on side
      • even laps 5 USDKs on back into streamline backstroke kick
      • 1:18, 1:15, 1:14, 1:14, 1:12, 1:10+

• 6 x 100: on 2:00, flutter-dolphin kick w/board, held 1:37s
      • tried to descend, but couldn't

• I put my Monofin on and was going to go 16 x 25 kick, but my calves kept cramped and only got through 2 of them
    • Stretched out calves and fee
    • 8 x 50: on 0:50, pull w/Eney Buoy
    • 8 x 25: on 0:35, w/monofin going about 15-20M underwater on each

TOTAL: 2,250 SCM

Commentary:
    • I am NOT traveling for business next week and really looking forward to staying home.
    • I am also similarly looking forward to the Polar Bear meet in Tucson next Sunday. Though my times will suck, I'm planning on trying out my new SDK and see how far I can go off each wall. I'm actually kind of hoping I get DQd for passing the 15M mark; that would be a lifetime first for me.
    • Tomorrow is the rock 'n roll marathon in Phoenix and so I get to play chauffeur for my wife as she does the half. This works out well for both of us as her just under 2 hour race time allows me enough time to pop down to the Tempe Lifetime for a swim. My only wish would be for the RNR marathon organizers to coordinate the start time with the Mesa Masters heathen Sunday workout, but, that is not to be.
  4. Nob hill climber

by , January 17th, 2013 at 09:39 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Forget graph search from Facebook, the next innovation I want to see out of Silicon Valley is terrain / altitude gain/loss on my Google Maps walking directions. Thanks to the odd world of price optimization, it was cheaper for me to stay up on Nob Hill last night than at the Union Square area hotels where my client has negotiated rates. It's been easily a decade since I was actually up on Nob Hill and I certainly must not have walked there. I dropped my rental car off in the city as I didn't need to spend the overnight parking charges and then trekked up Taylor Street to my hotel. Like the Grinch's heart growing three sizes, I think my calves did the same by the time I crested California street. Of course, later on, when I wanted dinner and didn't want to pay Nob Hill pricing, I had to trek back down Powell (and back up again) for some good grub. It was all good fun and San Francisco is really growing on me; having lived outside of Chicago earlier in my life and having had a lot of fun in NYC before, I always thought of those two cities as my favorite US big cities. I'm beginning to re-think that prioritization ... even moreso after the cold front left today and I left the city with a short walk in brilliant, 60-ish degree sunshine.

Aside from the hill climbing, I got in some yoga, meditation and stretch cord work. Sadly, after two successive days of swimming, my shoulder was arguing with me. Tomorrow I try a new acupuncturist and will see what relief, if any, he can provide.
  5. I don't dope ...

by , January 14th, 2013 at 11:57 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... and my 20lb dumbbell bench presses prove it.

I'm officially starting my long road back to lifting weights today. Technically, I did lift some dumbbells last week, but today it's official as I'll blog my 2 sets of 10 repeats:
    • Bench -- 20lbs dumbbells on round 1, 25lbs on round 2
    • Single arm rows -- 20lbs dumbbells on both rounds
    • Tricep press -- 20lbs dumbbells on both rounds
    • Hammer curls -- 10lbs dumbbells on round 1, 15lbs on round 2
    • Calf raises -- 10lbs dumbbells on round 1, 15lbs on round 2

I also did my pre-hab stretch cord work, 20 minutes of yoga, 7.5 minutes of meditation (I need to find a longer song than Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah to meditate to*) and a bit of core work.

* I realize it's not really meditation if I'm listening to music, but that's as close to calm as my monkey mind gets.
  6. Burlingame Brilliance

by , January 9th, 2013 at 07:56 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I was in California on Tuesday and managed to sneak away to the Burlingame pool for a ~45 minute swim. I dove into my own lane right around 1pm and, after I got over some of the chill of the pool (they've had some heater issues), I couldn't get over the brilliance and shimmering beauty of the day. The sun was high in a cloudless day and the pool was spic-and-span-sparkly clean. As my trip was just an overnighter, I had room in my bag for my fins and so got in a good workout in SCY:

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free swim (yes full stroke) working on 5 SDKs off each wall and a natural descend (e.g., let the descend evolve simply by virtue of me getting warmed up)
      • 1:15, 1:13, 1:09, 1:06+
      • OK, I pushed the last one a bit more than a natural descend would dictate

• 4 x 100: on 1:40, dolphin-flutter kick descend with a board
      • 1:29, 1:29, 1:26, 1:22

• 6 x 50: on 1:00
      • #1 and #6, easy kick
      • #2 to #5, IM order, swim-kick

• 10 x 100: on 1:20, with long fins
      • The intent was to do all of these with 5 SDKs off each wall and the odd laps free kick and even laps back kick
      • I had some cramping on the first two, so paused for a bit and stretched things out on the wall and over an easy 50
      • Then I did 3 more as originally intended
      • Then, I started doing the odd laps free swim (though still with 5 SDKs) with a very gentle pull
      • Then I started doing the odd laps fly swim

• 8 x 25: single arm drill freestyle

TOTAL: 2,750 SCY

Commentary:

• I think I violated an unwritten rule for the high volume thread by asking the Mighty Mistress of the Monofin for her recommendations on a monofin. I ordered the FINIS Shooter Monofin last night ... paid for by my most excellent college bowl picking skills
    • In a similar vein, I entered nothing longer than a 100 for the Polar Bear meet in Tucson at the end of the month (http://fordaquatics.com/2013%20Polar...et%20Flyer.pdf)
      • 50 fly
      • 100 free
      • 100 IM
      • 100 back
      • 50 free

• Given the level of training I'm doing, I'm thinking that 100 IM might feel like a 400 IM!
    • I'm hoping to get another massive round of weights in tonight (might even lift a 20 lb dumbbell at some point).
  7. Indy Off / 2013 Vision

by , January 7th, 2013 at 06:40 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    It really pains me to write this, but Indianapolis Nationals is going to be a no-go for me. This bums me out to no end as Indy remains my favorite pool in the country and I was really, really, really looking forward to racing there. Beyond that, my absence breaks by 5-in-a-row streak for attending spring Nationals. On the bright side, the reason is kind of good as I had a talk accepted at a geeky conference that my company likes to make a splash at each year. The downside is that the conference is May 5th to 8th; while I technically could jet over to Indy after that, I know two things to be true:
    • This conference is draining -- it's a big selling / customer engagement opportunity for us so I am usually running (and on my feet) from pre-breakfast meetings until late in the evening. I would be physically wasted if I showed up in Indy.
    • With the amount that I travel, tossing a full week away from home would not be fair to my family.

So, while I'm bummed from a swimming perspective, I'll adapt. In fact, I've already begun to develop a backup plan:
    • I'm going to use my SCY season as a re-building effort. In part, I need to do this because of the nagging shoulder problem. I intend to use this time, as well, toL
      • Focus on my technique.
      • Play around with new technology/toys
      • Experiment with different training approaches in and out of the pool

• I'll race in meets locally through April. Although the AZ calendar's not up yet, we should have

• I'll set my sights, though, on trying to race fast in a June LCM meet ... hopefully the Colonies Zone Championships in Richmond.
    • I may or may not show up for some part of the Mission Viejo Nationals; if I do, it will probably only be to swim relays and for 2 days max as that time of the year is full-on-family time.

Today's efforts ended up being all on the dry-side:
    • 30 minutes yoga + meditation
    • My routine of pre-hab / injury prevention stretch cords
    • My first (very limited) time back with weights, doing 10 reps each of
      • Bench w/15 lb dumbbells
      • Rows w/15 lb dumbbells
      • Tricep press w/15 lb dumbbells
      • Hammer curls w/10 lb dumbbells
      • Calf raises

I did the weight work for two reasons:
    • I wanted to see which exercises (rows and traditional curls) caused pain and where in my left arm (forearm on both). I'll be scheduling some time with an ART guy (www.ironcare.com) in the next week or so and want to be able to tell him what causes the pain.
    • Once I have my shoulder/arm healed, I do want to build back into a weight-lifting routine. One of the things I want to play around with this spring is better overall / total body fitness vs. just training to swim fast.

I really, really, really also dislike the extra spaces the new blog formatting introduces seemingly randomly between paragraphs.
  8. Masters Lugers, Fear Not

by , December 28th, 2012 at 08:01 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Our family fun activity yesterday was to try our hand at a luge run at Calgary's Olympic Park (http://www.winsportcanada.ca/cop/act.../lugerides.cfm). As the weight of the rider factors heavily in luge speed / time, everyone predicted I would easily win the race. We had 12 of us going -- 7 kids from age 9 to 16 -- and 5 adults, but I easily outweighed the next guy by 20 pounds. Alas, while height is an advantage up to a point, I was definitely too long. I got crushed by pretty much everyone except the nine year olds. My oldest daughter, however, might have the optimal body type for luging; we were instructed by a coach and athlete for the Canadian Junior National team and they said that she was the right mix of height and muscle. She easily beat the rest of us. I'll say this: I enjoyed the family event, but really didn't like the actual run. I had a devil of a time keeping my feet off the ground and spent most of the run bumping and bashing sides and wishing the ride was over. I just now need to actually create an official bucket list so that I can wipe that one off.

Otherwise, athletically, I got in some stretch cords and a 2.29 walk/run on a treadmill this morning before spending the afternoon out in Banff. Tomorrow, I shall swim ... I think.
  9. Bountiful Boxing Day

by , December 26th, 2012 at 02:04 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I managed to squeeze in a couple of deep yoga / stretching / meditation sessions on both Christmas Eve & Christmas Day, but the rest of each day essentially went like this:
    • Eat a big breakfast
    • Start snacking while the morning chats with family start
    • Somewhere before noon, either Bailey's got slipped into the coffee or champagne into the orange juice
    • Big lunch with a sample of fine Canadian beers
    • Continue snacking throughout the afternoon during family games and/or food preparation for dinner
    • Somewhere in the afternoon, one of my brothers-in-law notices that it is easily 5pm in Scotland, so a single malt or blended scotch is poured while playing pool
    • Eat a huge dinner while partaking of even finer British Columbian wine
    • Continued family games and chatting
    • Big dessert
    • Fall into bed around 10pm, epitomizing the feeling of being fat and happy

After two days of that, I desperately needed to get to a proper workout today and, with the female folk all excited about hitting the Boxing Day sales in Calgary, I had plenty of time to spend at the awesome Talisman Centre (http://www.talismancentre.com/). If I lived in Calgary, I'd make sure I was within a 15 minute drive of this place; my brother-in-law is that close.

My wife and I showed up about 8:30am and she did a 30 minute run and shower before being picked up by the shopping crew. I took a more leisurely approach:
    • ~15 minutes of dynamic stretching and injury-prevention stretch cord work (taken from Salo's book)
    • 22:30 on the treadmill done as
      • 5:00 walk at 15:00/mile pace
      • 5 rounds of
        • 2:15 run
          • on 9:13, 8:57, 8:34, 8:00, 7:30 per mile pace by round

• 0:45 walk at 15:00/mile pace

• 1:00 "run" cool-down at 10:00/mile pace
      • 1:30 walk cool-down at progressively slower pace from 12:00/mile to 15:00 mile pace
      • Total Run = 2.14 mile

• ~5:00 minutes of static stretching

I then changed into my suit and grabbed my cool Christmas gift from my wife, a Finis Aquapulse heart-rate monitor (http://www.finisinc.com/aquapulse/) and headed to my own lane in the 50 meter "training" pool:

This facility really is quite awesome as the competition area is even more impressive than the training facility:

Aside from getting in a swim today, my plan was just to play around with wearing the Aquapulse to see how it worked and how I liked it. Although I had asked my wife for this, I was skeptical that it would:
    (a) work
    (b) be comfortable
    (c) stay on

Clearly, the Finis people have done their product testing because it hit the mark on all three of those points. In fact, once I got through the first couple of hundred or so, I rarely even noticed it there. The only time I noticed it, aside from when it chirped my heart rate, was on the recovery portion of my breaststroke pull. I could feel my shoulders rubbing the edge of the bottom of the monitor ... but not sure that is a product design issue. More than likely, I'm scrunching my shoulders too much.

I did the following:
    • 1 x 800: IM, kick-drill by 50s
    • 12 x 50: on 0:55 as follows:
      • odd laps freestyle gentle swim with 12-11-10-9-8-7 USDKs off each wall, respectively
      • even laps backstroke catch-up drill with 1-2-3-4-5-6 USDKs off each wall, respectively

• 8 x 50: on 0:55 to 1:10, kick with board
      • odd laps alternate dolphin (1:00, 0:55) and breast (1:10)
      • even laps flutter on 1:00, 0:55, 0:55, 1:00

• 1 x 200: pull w/buoy long and easy
    • 4 x 50: on 1:00, freestyle swim, focusing on 5-7 USDKs off the wall, DPS, breathing to left side only and trying to figure out which pull variations did and did not tweak my shoulde
    • 1 x 100: easy pull w/buoy

TOTAL: 2,300 LCM

Commentary:
    • I think I'm really going to like training with the Aquapulse. It will certainly make my Pulse Plot test sets a lot more accurate and I'm interested to see if I can figure out how to use it more broadly for a more scientific approach to my training.
    • I have to pay closer attention to the Canadian Masters' meet schedules and see if I can schedule a future trip to visit my wife's family to coincide with a meet at the Talisman. I really, really love this place.
  10. Bring on the dancing horses

by , December 21st, 2012 at 05:59 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    That Echo & the Bunnymen song makes no sense and this video --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWs79v0ugE
    -- makes even less sense (except that the lead singer's hair definitely goes with the era), but, while a slow song, it somehow gave me a little burst of energy when it cycled onto my Pandora "New Order" station while on the treadmill at Lifetime today.

Dare I say it?

Yes, I will.

I actually enjoyed my run and did a whole 12 minutes of actual running as follows:

• 2:00 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
    • 6 rounds of
      • 2:00 run
        • 2 rounds at 6.5 mph (9:13 pace)
        • 2 rounds at 7.0 mph (8:34 pace)
        • 2 rounds at 7.5 mph (8:00 pace)

• 1:00 walk at 15:00/mile pace

I did a combined 15 minutes of dynamic (before the run) and static (after the run stretching) stretching, as well as the same, massive 1K pool workout as two days ago -- http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=26233.

Updated December 23rd, 2015 at 12:54 PM by pwb

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Almost 2 miles!

by , December 19th, 2012 at 10:49 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    No, not swimming. I almost got to two miles on the treadmill during my 20 minute run today. Here's what I squeaked in:

• 15 minutes of mixed dynamic stretching and stretch cords
    • 20 minutes (1.91 miles) on the treadmill:
      • 2:30 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
      • 7 rounds of
        • 1:30 run
          • 3 round at 6.5 mph (9:13 pace)
          • 3 rounds at 7.0 mph (8:34 pace)
          • 1 rounds at 7.5 mph (8:00 pace)

• 5 minutes of static stretching
    • Then, jumped in a bit in the pool for
      • 1 x 400: IM, kick-single arm by 25s
      • 12 x 50: kick on 0:50 w/long fins
        • odds 12 USDKs on back into freestyle kick (mix up side, back and belly)
        • evens 12 USDKs on belly into freestyle kick (mix up side, back and belly)

• 2 x 25: on 0:45, w/long fins, 1 catch-up, 1 swim

• TOTAL: 1,050 SCM

I did a similar swim-only workout last Sunday (Dec 16th), but used some other toys (fulcrum paddle and fist glove, http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...istgloves.html) and went a whopping 1,500 SCM. I can't say I'm a fan yet of the fist glove; it really didn't seem to add any value versus just closing my fist. I've decided I'm going to make 2013 my year to experiment with swim-tool-technology; the fist glove has got a couple more chances before I nix it from my list of toys.

Good news/bad news on my left arm -- virtually no pain anymore in my shoulder, but now I get more pain in my inner forearm. I got a massage yesterday with a therapist who does some ART-y like moves and that seems to help a bit. I did see a real-live ART guy earlier this fall (http://www.ironcare.com/) for my lower back pain and that helped that. I'm going to check back in with him in the New Year and see if he can work some magic on my shoulder & arm. My little rest and rehab only approach thus far is not producing the kind of result I need to get back to training.
  12. I hear the rain.

by , December 16th, 2012 at 12:29 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I hear the rain.
    I hear the rain.
    Got to kill the pain.

Some people get PO'd at all the shoppers clogging the streets around this holiday time. Not me. I get angry with these crazy Arizona residents who keep cheering on this dreary, rainy weather we're having. We're on Day 2 of near constant rain and my seasonal affective disorder is kicking in big time. All you Arizona residents who are talking about how cool it is to have rain instead of sun, please pack your umbrellas and take them and your sunny attitude about the rain back to Seattle (sorry, Kirk) where the rain belongs.

You might think I've been a lame blogger lately, but, really, I've been a lame exerciser. I got in a 20 minute walk-run on the treadmill on Thursday, but then nothing on Friday. Thankfully, I got up to Lifetime today and did the following:

• 20 minutes (1.79 miles) on the treadmill:
      • 2:00 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
      • 9 rounds of
        • 1:00 run
          • 3 rounds at 9:13/mile pace
          • 5 rounds at 8:34/mile pace
          • 1 round at 8:00/mile pace

• 20 minutes of mixed yoga-like things, stretching and stretch cords
    • Then finished up with this in the outdoor, rain-soaked pool
      • 1 x 400: IM, kick-single arm by 25s
      • 8 x 50: kick on 0:50 w/long fins

• 8 x 25: on 0:35, freestyle drill w/long fins
        • 2 single arm
        • 4 catchup
        • 2 whole stroke

• TOTAL: 1,000 SCM

13. X-training is boring

by , December 11th, 2012 at 08:30 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Man, it is boring not being able to really swim. I am trying out this cross-training thing and it's proving that variety isn't always the spice of life. I like the other things I'm doing well enough, but they just don't motivate, inspire or engage me the way a good pool workout does. Moreover, there's really no analysis or thoughts about these workouts that I can think to share; I just do them and that's that.

Monday

• 10 minutes stretch cords
    • 30 minute core workout
    • 20 minutes of yoga

Tuesday

• 20 minutes on the treadmill this morning before work:
      • 2:30 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
      • 7 rounds of
        • 1:00 run at 10:00/mile pace (last round at 8:57/mile pace)
        • 1:30 walk at 15:00/mile pace

After some evening meetings and calls, I hope to get in:

• 10 minutes of stretch cord rehab work
    • 20 minutes of yoga
    • 10 minutes of meditation

If all goes as planned tomorrow, at least I'll get the motivation of trying out a new pool for another lame kicking workout.
  14. Got HR up a little

by , December 10th, 2012 at 12:10 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Saturday was awash in family fun and commitments, but I did manage some rehabby stretch cord work then, as well as today, Sunday. Then, I made it up to Lifetime for 20 minutes on the treadmill, done as
    • 5:00 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
    • 6 rounds of
      • 1:00 run at 10:00/mile pace
      • 1:30 walk at 15:00/mile pace

After that a little stretching and a little bit in the pool:

• 1 x 800: IM, odd laps kick, even laps right arm
    • 12 x 50: on 0:50, w/long fins

• 4 x 25: w/long fins, 3 drill, 1 swim free

TOTAL: 1,500 SCM

Commentary:

• I pushed the 50s hard and got my heartrate up a bit. It felt good.
  15. Thanks, Shoulder Twinge!

by , December 6th, 2012 at 11:28 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    In hindsight, I need to thank my shoulder for twinging out on me and the Phoenix Swim Club for NOT having a Masters meet on the Dec 15th - 16th weekend. Had my shoulder been healthy, the meet been on and my eyes looking towards a fast 400 IM and 400 free, I would've been disappointed because there's no way I could've maintained any semblance of focus on swimming in December given the deluge of cool client work coming my way.

So, rather than being disappointed, this break from intense pool training is working in concert with the significant uptick in professional work. Today was a long day in California that hasn't ended yet. I've snuck in 20 minutes on the treadmill (same program as http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=25980) and 10 minutes of stretching. Assuming I get my "mobile analytics" demo script and presentation sufficiently practiced before about 9pm tonight, I'll squeeze in a little stretch cord rehab work. Assuming I then get to sleep on time and my 5am call ends as planned, I'll get to add a new pool tomorrow morning.

Speaking of work, as our company grows (yeah! we're still in business!), we're doing a lot of thinking, reading, and exploration on motivation, incentives, compensation, etc. One book a number of us have read is http://www.danpink.com/books/drive. I highly recommend this, not just for the work world, but for your own life and, if you have kids, your life as a parent. A great clip (should you not want to read the book) is here -- http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation.html. For me, while there's lots of professional relevance, I think that his message on the pursuit of autonomy, mastery and purpose should resonate well with Masters Swimmers.

YMMV
  16. Day 2 of new plan ...

by , December 6th, 2012 at 02:14 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... and already off plan.

Got in 35 minutes in the pool:

• 1 x 800: IM, odd laps kick, even laps right arm
    • 12 x 50: on 0:50, w/long fins

• 12 x 25: on 0:35, in sets of 4 going right arm, left arm, catch-up, catch-up freestyle w/long fins
    • 2 x 25: trying to aim for good full stroke free with fins

TOTAL: 1,750 SCM

Am about to grab 10 minutes of stretch cords now before heading to sleep.

On a very positive note, only 0.24 miles to hit the 'free swimsuit' mark on GTD. Alas, this shoulder thingy means I'm not going to make my "Million Yard Man" goal.
  17. The 75 - 7.5 Plan

by , December 4th, 2012 at 10:44 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Without the ability to swim, I've been very aimless in my athletic pursuits. I'm the kind of person who can't operate without a plan ... but I also want to take some time to rehab my shoulder and not be so driven. I need a chill-training-plan. So, here's the plan:

• 75 minutes of exercise 6 days a week gives me 7.5 hours of exercise a week
    • Mix and match from amongst the following per mood and accessibility of each:
      • Core class at Lifetime
      • Stretch cord rehab exercises
      • Yoga
      • Treadmill work (more on that later)
      • Kicking in the pool with light drills

Today, I got in a bit of each:

• 30 minute core class
    • 10 minutes of stretch cord rehab
    • 20 minutes on the treadmill, done as
      • 5:00 walking at a 15:00/mile pace
      • 5 rounds of
        • 1:00 run at 10:00/mile pace
        • 2:00 walk at 15:00/mile pace

• 15 minutes kicking in the pool
      • 1 x 400: IM, kick-right arm by 25s
      • 6 x 50: on 0:50, w/long fins
        • odds 12 underwater SDKs (USDKs) on belly into backstroke kick on right side
        • evens 12 underwater SDKs (USDKs) on back into backstroke kick on right side

• 2 x 25: w/long fins, single arm freestyle

18. Kicking Boredom

by , November 26th, 2012 at 09:07 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    As someone who, on a good day in hard training, only does about 10% of my volume as straight kicking, this is the song that starts running through my head about 400 meters into a 1,450 SCM kick workout --

Fortunately, I got in some rehabby stretch cords this morning and a core class at midday.

I've gotten a lot of good advice on a more robust rehab program for my shoulder. After I get through a particularly consuming work meeting tomorrow, I'll hopefully have some time this week to put some structure to it.

I'm looking forward to being an extreme swimming couch-potato-stalker-watcher this weekend across:

• My older two daughters swimming in Aggieland at the Gulf Senior Champs
    • My youngest daughter swimming in a meet in town here
    • Masters meets in Long Beach, Texas and SC
    • Nationals in Austin

Of course, assuming I had been in racing shape and had the buy-in from my wife, daughters and job, my dream weekend would've been to spend four days in Texas:

Updated December 21st, 2015 at 09:21 AM by pwb

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  19. Break?

by , November 20th, 2012 at 09:12 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I guess I'm on a break ... and I'm totally cool with it. I did some yoga early this morning (instead of swimming) in between dropping off and picking up #2 kid from morning workout; I got in a much needed massage this afternoon, but haven't felt the need or desire to do anything else. While I was initially bummed that I wouldn't get a true 'taper & shave' meet this fall, I'm really enjoying the hiatus right now. I've been gunning pretty hard since the summer of 2011, training for a 'peak meet' for LCM twice ('11 and '12), SCM ('11), SCY ('12) ... and for a peak OW swim this fall (La Jolla).

I am completely stoked and will be ready to swim fast in Indianapolis, but I'm going to be cruising the rest of this calendar year; I'll still be working out, but on a 'follow my bliss' path to training instead of a regimen. The hardest part of my training will likely be coming up with HVT workouts ... that I know I have no intention of doing myself.

Speaking of workouts, here's a neat IM set from Garrett McCaffrey -- http://swimswam.com/2012/11/coachs-log-200-i-m-pace/.

Updated December 21st, 2015 at 08:41 AM by pwb

Categories
  20. Fluffy savasana

by , November 19th, 2012 at 04:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Fluffy didn't go to core class with me today, but saw the vet. All that poking, prodding and blood drawing takes a lot out of a young puppy:

This evening, assuming she's cleared off my mat, I'll do some stretchy yoga after some injury-prevention stretch cord work.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast