Blog Comments

That is a nice pool.
    So sorry to have been a possible bad influence. I think a sport massage/chiro visit is just the ticket though! Worked for me last time my left shoulder hurt.
    tjrpatt: I am pretty sure I am not Fort. I don't even own a monofin.

Fort: Roll your ITB, and repeat to yourself, mantra style, "It is good pain". I wanted to cry the first time I did it, and I am not a runner.
    Yes, having LCM is a treat (we don't always), but I have a weird relationship with LCM: I love open water (the ultimate long course), but really greatly prefer SCY or SCM for pool work. I do need to learn to love LCM again as I want to swim some meets next summer.
    I am so jealous that you can do LCM in December. I love training in LCM. I have to wait til May to get some LCM swimming.
    thanks for the mention
    you smoked your way past me this season in the 200 IM & 100 free
    I was lifting this fall one to two times per week. However, I haven't lifted since the 1st week of November. I thought I was going light enough on Mon/Wed to not get too sore.

It's Friday morning now, though, and I'm feeling a little better. I have a 9 hour tele/video conference call (fun!) and then hope to lift this afternoon.
    Good decision on the fly! For myself, I don't think it's a good idea to swim much fly that's not perfect technique.

Were you lifting weights at all before? If not, going right to 3x a week would be very challenging! I'm still stuck on 2x.
    I have one of the elite foam rollers (around $35?) at home, Patrick. I haven't actually used it -- yet. My chiro recommended it for my husband and kid with tight quads/hamstrings. Yes, regular massages would be great, but it ain't happening for me either.
    Great tip, Fort! I saw a clip of how to use it on youtube and it looks very beneficial. The foam roller can be my el muy cheapo Dara Torres Message Team.
    thanks. I'll add that to my shopping list. I am getting a sports massage next week and have found a couple of good folks here. I'd love to be able to afford a daily massage like Dara Torres, but that's not happening anytime soon. The foam roller sounds like a good idea.
    May I suggest a foam roller to help speed your recovery? Good for your back and arms after a tough workout at the pool and great after legs day at the gym.

I wouldn't get a cheap one. I picked on up at Target for $20 and deformed it in about six weeks. Spend the extra money and get the elite or the plus by perform better. Unless you have found someone who gives a good sports massage, it is cheaper and better by far. I don't have experience with any other brands, but it might be a decent forum topic.

Lots of videos on the net how to perform the "rolls".
    Michael,

Fortunately, I have found a technician. I'm a real believer in the technique approaches from Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion (www.totalimmersion.com). There are a number of "TI-certified" coaches around the country and they do very frequent weekend camps. Terry turned me onto Anne Wilson of Camelback Coaching here in the Phoenix area. I'm sure there are people in/near you.
    That is a great project plan, I mean workout plan.

Do you have a technician you work with 1 on 1 regularly, or are you going to hunt one down?

Seriously, it is very cool that you have thought about your swimming plans in such detail for the coming season.
    qbrain - My main goal is still to have a better 200/500 and 200/400 IM, but I had a LOT of fun doing both the 50 & 100 free and the 100 fly this year. I have no illusions of catching Ande or the real sprinters, but want some variety and hope the speed will help with the mid-distance work.

Syd -- thanks. Yes, I did swim at Texas in the late 80s, but was strictly distance (400 IM, 500 & up free). That 1:58 when converted to yards is not far off my younger self's 200 yard best (low 1:44), so I was quite pleased.

Fort -- weights start on Monday. I'll lay out the plan in the next post.
    Get your skinny little self (er, very tall self) to the weight room, Patrick! Glad you're coming a little over to the dark side.
    I look forward to reading. By the way congratulations on your meet last weekend. A 1:58 something for 200m Free. I am impressed! Did you use to swim NCAA?
    Are you planning on continuing to be a distance guy, or do you just want to beat Ande in the sprints before he ages up?

j/k on beating Ande, and I know you plan is forth coming, but I am of the MTV generation.

Back when the MTV generation had music on their television at least.