View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Drag suit broken mile

by , August 8th, 2016 at 11:01 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Back in the early part of my 40s, I generally trained in a drag suit, this one being my favorite ...

... but I fell out of that habit and got to enjoy training in jammers, briefs or old tech suits. I decided my tubby body needed even more drag today and went back to my trusted tiger suit for a broken mile workout:

Warmup sets (1,250 set)
    • 1 x 300: no-breast IM, kick-drill by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend w/snorkel and paddles
    • 6 x 50: on 0:50, w/monofin going 10-12 fast SDKs off each wall then easy; on belly / on back by 25s
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds fast (fly, free, back, free), evens easy
    • 1 x 50: easy

Broken Mile (1,500 set / 2,750 total)
    3 rounds of
    • 3 x 50: on 0:50
    • 2 x 100: on 1:35
    • 1 x 150: on 2:20
    • was 0:36s on 50s, 1:13+-1:15 on 100s and 1:54, 1:53, 1:52 on the 150s

Cool-down (250 set / 3,000 total)
    • 5 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel and paddles on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:00

TOTAL: 3,000 SCM

Comments:
    • Can't quite say that I was channeling my inner Ledecky (damn! 3:56!!! ), but my stroke felt better than yesterday.
    • I'm going to try to get in every day this week and add 250 SCM to each day so that I close with a 4K workout this Friday.
    Tags: broken mile
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Not-so-ready-and-yet-happy to race

by , August 4th, 2016 at 07:29 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This is the world's longest kick-in-the-pants (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?393...nts-to-kick-in) ...

Sunday, July 31st - Actually had a very fun and hard workout doing my "Fartlekking around" workout from here - http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...-2-Week-5-of-5. My times were more respectable on rounds 1 and 2, but then I totally crashed and burned on round 3. The good news is that it was a legitimate crash & burn from having put forth a lot of effort.

This week started off as planned with a quick 1,450 SCM at home Monday morning before a flight over to San Francisco for some mid-year strategy meetings and team events with my team. We had some fun at EscapeSF (http://questroomsf.com/) and then a great dinner at The Barrel Room (http://www.barrelroomsf.com/, highly recommended for a small group party), but the evening ran late and it ruined my resolve to hit the 5:20am Stanford Masters workout on Tuesday.

I did manage to get over to Westmoor-Giammona in Daly City Tuesday evening and somehow manage to get through a backstroke rendition of my Aussie 200 workout in the scrum that is evening lap swim there. Never have I experienced a pool that is so different between the utter calm of morning lap hours and the ten-ring circus that is evening time there - with a mix of poorly managed lap lanes, swim lessons, swim team and then random kids doing WTF wherever-TF they feel like. It's a great testament to the value of a community pool, but maybe a little more chaos than I needed.

The unfortunate side effect of a harder evening swim on Tuesday night meant that my mind was alive until well after midnight ... which meant that I didn't make the Burlingame Masters workout on Wednesday morning.

I'm back home today and did squeeze in what I can call an 'Aussie 100' workout this morning, clocking in 2,250 SCM before my 7am call.

As for racing this weekend, I am kind of excited to head down to Tucson (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2094&smid=8125) on Saturday to race the 200 free, 200 back and 200 IM. I don't expect my times to be fast, but, since I've swum it so rarely, there's an outside shot I could get a best time in the 200 back. What's really cool is that, with only 83 TOTAL swimmers entered in the entire meet, we have a completely stacked 200 free...

name time
    Darian Townsend 01:49.3
    Jared Moreno 02:02.8
    Jordon Belton 02:04.0
    Adrian Kirkpatrick 02:05.0
    Patrick Brundage 02:06.7
    Jeffrey Utsch 02:07.4
    Justin Madison 02:10.0

... I only wish I was in shape to be able to hang with someone in that heat! I think I'll be lucky if I'm sub 2:15!

3. Took a week for the kick in the pants to kick in

by , July 30th, 2016 at 06:48 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After last Sunday's racing and the supposed kick in the a** I needed to get back to training, it has taken me almost the whole week to actually get back to training:

Monday, 25th - Had a nice 3,100 LCM workout with Burlingame Masters. I was late due to a conference call and lazy due to me being all tuckered out from the day before.

Tuesday, 26th - I had great expectations that I'd hit the AM workout with Burlingame and then do an evening double to nab a new pool. A late night working on Monday prevented the morning workout, but I did manage to log about 2K yards equivalent that evening in the 100 foot long Coffman Pool (#246) ...

... only afterwards did one of my Bay area friends tell me that this pool was right next to a notorious and dangerous housing project. I experienced no problems.

Wednesday, 27th - My even grander plans to add the Hayward Plunge (http://www.haywardrec.org/ImageRepos...1516340573.jpg) got shattered thanks to a much-needed, but last-minute-scheduled early morning client meeting. I got nothing done athletically that day, but I did finally fly home

Thursday, 28th - Work kicked my ass. It's been doing that a lot lately. I swam a total of 500 SCM.

Friday, 29th - I looked to inspiration from the aquatic rodent (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?393...uge-Difference) and even did the main set, but was appalled at not getting under about 1:13 on my FAST effort 100s SCM freestyle.

Which brings us to today, Saturday the 30th, when I finally did a workout that, if not really worth writing about time-wise, can at least be memorialized as a benchmark for how far I've fallen:

Warmup sets (1,500)
    • 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend w/snorkel & paddles (1:25 -> 1:17+)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, kick dolphin-flutter by 25s, supposed to be descend but I just stayed stuck around 1:40
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise, #2 to #4 supposed to be fast, but we'll just call them effortful going fly, back, free, fly

Main set (2,000 set / 3,500 total)
    4 rounds of:
    • 6 x 25: on 0:30, w/monofin going
      • #1 to #4 as 10-12 AFAP SDKs off the wall then easy; on back on odds; belly on evens
      • #5 - easy
      • #6 - AFAP underwater on belly, no breath

• 0:30 rest
    • 4 x 25: on 1:15 per pair, odds fast from the blocks, evens easy
      • Odd rounds fast efforts fly, even round fast efforts back

• 1 x 50: easy on 1:30
    • 1 x 200: FAST free from blocks on 3:30
      • #1 straight, 2:24
      • #2 broken at 100 for 0:10, 2:20
      • #3 broken at 100 and 150 for 0:10, 2:18
      • #4 broken at 50s for 0:10, 2:15

Cool-down (150 / 3,650 total)
    • 3 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:45, 0:50

TOTAL: 3,650 SCM

Comments:
    • Based upon today's performance, my 400 free long course from last weekend seems like a super-human result!
    • While I'm still not on top of the avalanche that is work, I am now committed to start really training again with the understanding that getting back into better physical condition is going to help me be more productive during my professional time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Crash courses for the 200 fly

by , July 23rd, 2016 at 11:48 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I am committed to swimming both the 50 fly and 200 fly at the last day of the Pacific Masters Champs (http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=8079), but still on the fence about the 400 free.

After I finally got home on Thursday following the Great Southwest Glitch, I had little time during the day nor energy to do more than a 400 IM kick-drill. Late that evening, a wave of paranoia about my ability to even make a long course 200 fly swept over me and so I did a fly version of my Aussie 200 set on Friday at my home pool in SCM. While it started roughly with a 0:39 on my first 'fast' 50 fly, as the rounds went on, I managed to get down to the 0:35+/0:36- range. That's not stellar for me, but it gave me some hope that I won't have to resort to butter-frog tomorrow.

While I certainly didn't need to get back on another plane, a long planned and important summer camp for daughter #3 kicked off this afternoon (Saturday) in Livermore, California and I'm back out in the Bay Area. It was infinitely more pleasurable traveling with her than my typical business flights and I got her settled in well to the camp. After doing that, I managed to add pool #245 to my list (www.1001pools.com) by visiting the Robert Livermore Community Pool -

... and doing a "Aussie 100" fly workout where, instead of going through rounds of 16 x 50, 12 x 50, etc., I did them as 25s.

My picture doesn't do justice to the shedload of people there as I was walking out nearing closing hours, but the guards did a good job of preserving 3-4 lanes for lap swimming and I had my own lane the entire time. The water was warm-ish and not feeling/looking all that squeaky clean, and the linguine with clam sauce I had had for lunch was definitely not creating optimal conditions for the ab work needed to swim butterfly, but I felt great once I finished. I still can't say I'm entirely looking forward to the 200 fly tomorrow, but I think I shall survive!
    Tags: pool list
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Trying to get my mojo back

by , July 19th, 2016 at 11:45 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Compared to past summers of training, this one hasn't been too bad for me, but I got of to a slow start this week due to some travel snafus on Sunday and Monday. I had gone over to LA on Sunday morning to watch my oldest daughter swim in the LA Invite at USC; she stayed in Vancouver this summer and I hadn't seen her since she came out to Masters Nationals. She ended up just swimming prelims of the 200 free (due to her flight back in the evening conflicting with finals) and did very well; her best in-season prelims swim.

After that we spent the afternoon just talking and walking/driving around LA tourist spots --
    • Took her to see the 1930's era Physical Education Department pool on the USC campus, so she could see where her granddad swam in the early 60s when he swam for Peter Daland.
    • Attempted to get to Griffith Observatory - but traffic and parking precluded that
    • Strolled along the Walk of Stars

There's very little I like about LA itself (other than some great pools), but even the traffic didn't bother me as I got to spend so much concentrated 1-1 time with my daughter. But, while the day was great, the evening sucked flying out of America's third-world airport, LAX. My flight up to SFO got screwed up / delayed so late that I ended up staying overnight in LA and opted for a 7am flight Monday morning. That meant that my grand plan to start the week off with a great workout was shot. To add insult to injury, that 7am flight got delayed 90 minutes - which both meant I probably could've swum and that I started my Monday workday way behind schedule.

I went to bed last night still angry, but woke up this morning in a good enough mood that was brightened even more by my swim with the great team at Burlingame Masters. Even though I'm probably only dropping in there 1-2 times per month, both the coach, Cory Ferrara, and the lane mates I often swim with make me feel like this is 'my team.' It's a great place to train and I enjoyed this long course workout:

Warmup sets (1,000 set)
    • 2 x 200: one free, one free/back
    • 12 x 50: on 0:50, descend in 3s; I did them free w/snorkel

Main set (2,400 set / 3,400 total)
    • 3 x 200: on 3:00, fast swim (was ~2:33/35s)
    • 1 x 50: easy on about 1:15-1:30
    • 5 x 100: on 1:25, strong, I pulled w/buoy & snorkel and was 1:15-1:18s
    • 2 x 200: on 3:00, fast swim (was 2:33, 2:31)
    • 3 x 100: on 1:25, strong, I pulled w/buoy & snorkel and was 1:15-1:17
    • 1 x 200: on 3:00, fast swim (was 2:29)
    • 1 x 100: on 1:25, strong, I pulled w/buoy & snorkel and was 1:12
    • 1 x 50: easy

Kick & Cool-down (500 set / 3,900 total)
    • 8 x 50: on 1:15, kick, going ~18 SDKs fast, ~8-10 easy breast kicks, fast flutter to wall; did 4 with board, 4 on back
    • 1 x 100: easy

TOTAL: 3,900 LCM

Comments:
    • Though the times were only OK, I felt pretty good; much better than I had expected.
    • If all goes as planned, I'll get in another LCM workout tomorrow morning when I'm down in Ventura County.
    • I'm getting a bit worried about my entry times for this Sunday's events at the Pacific Masters Champs. When I had entered the meet, I had planned on being in great shape with a great base under me by this time and then doing a little drop taper. So, naturally, I entered my best times. I fear I'll take the award for 'reverse sandbagger' particularly on the 200 fly (as I'm not even sure I can make a LCM 200 fly!).
    • What is really pushing me to get to the meet, though, is Stage Three of the Postal Swimtathlon (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...ge-One-Results) as I need to get times for the 200s of each stroke and the 400 IM.

Updated July 19th, 2016 at 11:53 AM by pwb

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 5 pounds, 3 pools, 1 Bernie, 1 Ron

by , July 16th, 2016 at 02:49 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This might be one of my longest breaks from my training blog, but it doesn't mean I wasn't training. That's not to imply, though, that I was training either hard or much. My wife and I left for a whirlwind New England vacation on July 1st, spending nights/time in Boston, Rochester (VT), Woodstock (VT), Bedford (NH), as well as stopping into the lovely Vermont towns of Middlebury, Burlington and Waterbury, before zipping down to Virginia to pickup #3 daughter from her extended summer camp. Highlights of those 10 days include:

Solid 5 pound weight gain thanks to copious cheese and ice cream intake. Lovely as Vermont is, I don't think I'd have the willpower to avoid OD'ing on all the great dairy products were I to live there. On the upside, should I ever get it into my head to attempt the English Channel, I figure I could settle down near Lake Champlain for a few months of weight gain and cold water training

I 'nabbed' three new pools with workouts at ...

Harvard's Blodgett Pool - got in a nice Sunday morning workout with the Cambridge Masters Swim Club. I had swum an age group meet here back in either my junior or senior year of high school (e.g., ~30 years ago!), so this wasn't the first time I've been here ... just the first time since I officially started tracking this.

The Woodstock (VT) Recreation Center
    - this was pure luck and one of the rare pools I have found that is not on SwimmersGuide. I was walking through the 'town green' and saw a whiteboard announcing that the summer pool was now open. For their morning lap swim, they had no lifeguards, but a simple rule that you could not swim alone. I was the second person there, but the 6 lane, 25 yard pool soon filled up with about 8-10 total swimmers.

Darmouth's Spaulding Pool
    - I am pretty sure that this pool is the oldest pool I've ever swum in, though I need to research the construction date of USC's Physical Education Department Indoor pool tomorrow when I'm there watching my oldest daughter swim at the LA Invite, as well as check on the date for the Hearst Pool on the Cal-Berkeley campus. Spaulding was constructed in 1919, making it darn near a century old. While I did get in a great workout and I really loved the well-maintained pool, I was really bummed that the main competition pool was closed for repairs. I guess I have to come back!

Other highlights included being in a Fourth of July parade led by none other than Bernie Sanders (though I was at the back of the parade and didn't get to see him) and then standing in line for ice cream behind the one and only Ron Howard at the Ben & Jerry's Factory.

I have managed to get in some pretty pathetic (time-wise) workouts every day this week and am going to try to ramp-up my training for the next three weeks. My competition plans are pretty limited, but I should get in a couple of days racing:
    • Pacific Masters Champs (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1725&smid=8079) - I'm dropping #3 child off at another summer camp in NorCal on the 23rd afternoon and am hoping I can make it in time to swim the 800 that night. I will for sure swim Sunday and have entered the 400 free, 50 fly and 200 fly.
    • AZ State Masters Champs (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2094&smid=8125). I am entered in both days, but will probably only swim one. Based upon the order of events, I am pretty sure I'll plan on Saturday and do the 200 free, 200 back and 200 IM.

I am also entered in the SPMA Champs as I was hoping to snag either the 1500 or 400 IM on the Friday night, but I don't think my work travel will have me in LA that week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. SAC 20 x 100 - finally made it

by , June 30th, 2016 at 11:52 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After trying and failing at least twice before at doing this tough main set of 20 x 100 race pace from Stewart (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?379...rday&bt=121071), I was finally able to complete it today, with a bit more rest in between rounds and the wheels still coming off the bus by the end.

Done in SCM:

Warmup sets (1,100 set)
    • 1 x 250: IM going 75 each of fly & back kick-drill-swim and 50 each of breast and free going kick-drill
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend w/snorkel, 1:18+ -> 1:13+
    • 8 x 25: on 0:35, w/monofin in sets of 4 as 2 breaths moderate, 0 breaths moderate, 1 breath moderate, 0 breaths AFAP
    • 8 x 25: on whatever, going odds fast from blocks IM order, evens easy
    • 1 x 50: easy w/snorkel

SAC 20 x 100 (2,250 set / 3,350 total)
    5 rounds of 4 x 100 - 1 x 50

• 100s are supposed to be at 400/500 race pace which for me should be 1:04+ (e.g., 58 in SCY)
    • 100s are on 2:05, 1:55, 1:45, 1:35, 1:25 by round
    • 50s are easy and went on 1:30, 1:30, 2:00, 2:00, whatever
    • Results
      • Round 1 - 1:05, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:05
      • Round 2 - 1:04+, 1:05, 1:05+, 1:05+
      • Round 3 - 1:05, 1:05+, 1:07, 1:06
      • Round 4 - 1:06+, 1:07+, 1:07, 1:07+
      • Round 5 - 1:07, 1:08, 1:08, 1:08

Cool down (150 set / 3,500 total)

• 3 x 50 on 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,500 SCM

Comments:

• I had a couple of busy travel days on Monday and Tuesday, but managed 1,250 on Monday and then a solid (if not fast) 3,500 SCY on Tuesday during which I swam a respectable enough Aussie 200 IM main set.
    • Yesterday I only managed to get in my 2 mile / 20 minute run/walk on the treadmill and will hope to squeeze that in again late in the day today.
    • I have managed to watch all the finals sessions of Trials this week and tonight should be no different. I am pretty sure, though, that I'll miss watching finals tomorrow through Sunday - each day for great personal/family reasons, but it will be a bit of a bummer as I especially want to watch the women's and men's 800 and 1500 finals.
    Tags: sac20x100
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Trials-inspired speedier pulse plot

by , June 26th, 2016 at 04:18 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After getting back home from the east coast on Wednesday, I had to turn right around for a long day trip to San Francisco on Thursday. I managed to get in my new 20 minute run/walk combo on the treadmill at the JCC before leaving for that, but was shut out from swimming both Thursday and Friday. On Saturday I was still recovering from all the travel, but did manage to grind slowly through the LSD workout (#2 here http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...1-Week-4-of-5).

I didn't expect to feel that great today on my Salo Pulse Plot test set, nor did I expect my times to be fast as I didn't get in the pool until after I had had my fill of watching the live stream from Trials, but I reached peak speed that was better than last month:

Warmup sets (1,550 set)

• 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend with snorkel (1:15, 1:14, 1:12+, 1:13)
    • 8 x 25: on 0:35, w/monofin in sets of 4 as 2 breaths moderate, 0 breaths moderate, 1 breath moderate, 0 breaths AFAP
    • 2 rounds of:
      • ​3 x 50: on 1:00
        • ​#1 cruise w/snorkel
        • #2 and #3 IM order strong (0:34, 0:35, 0:40, 0:32+/33)

• ​0:15 rest
      • 4 x 25: on 1:30 per pair, odds fast from blocks reverse IM order, evens easy

• ​1 x 50:easy

Salo Test Set: Pulse Chart (950 set / 2,400 total)

• 8 x 100: on 3:00, taking pulse for 0:10 three times after swim: immediately (though I do this at 0:10 after the swim), 0:30 after swim, 1:00 after swim
    • Aim is to go 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%
      • 09/06/10 - 1:12, 1:08, 1:04+, 1:02-, 1:02-, 1:05, 1:07+, 1:09+
      • 10/06/10 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 05/13/11 - 1:10, 1:05, 1:04, 1:02, 1:03, 1:05, 1:07, 1:09
      • 06/10/11 - 1:08, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 08/06/11 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:05, 1:02+, 1:01+, 1:06, 1:07, 1:09
      • 09/03/11 - 1:13, 1:09+, 1:07, 1:04+, 1:04-, 1:07+, 1:09-, 1:11
      • 10/01/11 - 1:10, 1:09., 1:05, 1:03, 1:03, 1:06+, 1:07+, 1:12
      • 11/01/11 - 1:13, 1:09, 1:07+, 1:03+, 1:03, 1:07, 1:09+, 1:10-
      • 12/01/11 - 1:09+, 1:05, 1:05, 1:01+, 1:02+, 1:04+, 1:06+, 1:08
      • 02/21/12 - 1:11, 1:10, 1:07, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:06, 1:08, 1:10
      • 03/20/12 - 1:10, 1:06+, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:05+, 1:06, 1:08+
      • 04/18/12 - 1:10, 1:07, 1:04, 1:03+, 1:02+, 1:05, 1:07, 1:08+
      • 06/01/12 - 1:12, 1:09, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:07, 1:08, 1:09+
      • 06/28/12 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:05, 1:01+, 1:01+, 1:05, 1:08, 1:10
      • 09/07/12 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:06+, 1:09, 1:10+
      • 10/10/12 - 1:15, 1:09+, 1:04+, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:05, 1:07, 1:10
      • 11/07/12 - 1:13, 1:09, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:06+, 1:08, 1:09
      • 05/02/13 -- 1:11, 1:07, 1:05, 1:04+
      • 07/30/13 -- 1:18, 1:15, 1:12, 1:08, 1:08, 1:10, 1:12, 1:16
      • 08/27/13 -- 1:16, 1:11, 1:08, 1:04, 1:04, 1:08+, 1:10+, 1:14
      • 09/24/13 - 1:14, 1:10, 1:05+, 1:03, 1:03, 1:06, 1:10+, 1:13
      • 11/16/13 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:04, 1:01+, 1:02, 1:06, 1:08+, 1:11
      • 04/02/14 - 1:13, 1:10, 1:07, 1:04, 1:04+, 1:07, 1:10, 1:13+
      • 04/23/14 - 1:10+, 1:07, 1:05, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:06, 1:07+, 1:10+
      • 05/28/14 - 1:11, 1:07, 1:05+, 1:04, 1:03, 1:06, 1:09, 1:09
      • 07/03/14 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:06, 1:04, 1:04, 1:06+, 1:08+, 1:12
      • 07/19/14 - 1:11, 1:07, 1:05+, 1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 1:09, 1:10+
      • 04/13/15 - 1:09, 1:07, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:06, 1:09, 1:10
      • 07/10/15 - 1:21, 1:14, 1:09, 1:03, 1:03, 1:10, 1:13+, 1:19
      • 04/23/16 - 1:16, 1:12, 1:07, 1:04, 1:03+, 1:10, 1:13, 1:14
      • 05/28/16 - 1:19, 1:13, 1:08, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:11, 1:14, 1:17
      • 06/26/16 - 1:16, 1:11+, 1:06, 1:04+, 1:03+, 1:10, 1:17, 1:19

• 3 x 50: active recovery

TOTAL: 2,500 SCM

Comments:
    • My pulse plot shifted in the wrong direction since last month, but that's not entirely surprising, nor was the shift huge. Still a bit better than I was last year about this time.
    • Even though I'm not really training for any specific big meet this summer, I'm having a pretty good summer of training compared to what I was doing in '13 (virtually nothing), '14 and '15.
    • As I noted elsewhere on the forums, I am bummed that the Rough Water Swim is not happening, but excited to try this http://www.nadadoresroughwaterswim.org/w/ instead).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  9. Shaky Broken Mile

by , June 22nd, 2016 at 05:41 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Ever since I got chastised a few years back by the Cal-Berkeley 'Pool Picture Police' for taking a picture of the Golden Bear pool, I've been sure to get in my workout first and then quickly snap a photo on my way out. Unfortunately, what that means is that my hands are often shaking from the extreme effort I always put out and I end up with blurry pictures like this one from the RF Wilkinson YMCA in Williamsburg, VA ...

What you can't see in this photo (or, let's face it, any pool photo) is that the separate lap pool was kept at a perfect 79/80 degrees. That perfect temperature, though, didn't stop me from heating up, even though my performance on my Broken Mile test wasn't so hot!

Warmup sets (1,250 set)

• 1 x 300: IM, kick-drill-swim
    • 3 x 100: on 1:20, free swim, descend w/snorkel (1:10 -> 1:06)
    • 6 x 50: on 0:55, kick, descend in 3s, dolphin-flutter, 3 w/board, 3 on back
    • 12 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast fly-back-free, twice through
    • 1 x 50: easy w/snorkel

Broken Mile (1,500 set / 2,750 total)

3 rounds of:

• 3 x 50: on 0:45
    • 2 x 100: on 1:25
    • 1 x 150: on 2:05

50s

• 11-05-15 - SCY - 0:30s
    • 11-12-15 - SCY - solid 0:29s, maybe one 0:28+ and one 0:30-
    • 11-25-15 - SCY- 0:30+/0:31 on round 1, 0:30s on round 2 w/snorkel, 0:29s on round 3
    • 12-01-15 - SCY - all 0:30s
    • 12-29-15 - SCY - 31+ to 31++++++++
    • 01-16-15 - SCY - all 0:29s
    • 03-29-16 - SCY - 0:30, 0:31, 0:30, 0:30+, 0:30+, 0:30+, 0:30+, 0:31, 0:31+
    • 04-20-16 - SCY - 0:28+, 0:29, 0:29, rest were 0:30 flats
    • 06-22-16 - SCY - 0:30 flats on the first 4 then 0:31/2 on last 2

100s

• 11-05-15 - SCY - 1:00/1:01s
    • 11-12-15 - SCY - 0:59s/1:00-s
    • 11-25-15 - SCY - 1:02/1:00+ on round 1, 1:02s on round 2 w/snorkel, 1:01s on round 3
    • 12-01-15 - SCY - all 1:00+/1:01s
    • 12-29-15 - SCY - 1:04 to 1:04+
    • 01-16-16 - SCY - 1:00, 1:01, 1:02, 1:01+, 1:02, 1:02
    • 03-29-16 - SCY - 1:01, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:02, went last round easy
    • 04-20-16 - SCY - 1:00 flats all the way
    • 06-22-16 - SCY - 1:02s on the first 4 then 1:03/3+ on last 2

150s

• 11-05-15 - SCY - 1:33, 1:32, 1:33
    • 11-12-15 - SCY - 1:30, 1:29, 1:28+
    • 11-25-15 - SCY - 1:32, 1:37 (w/snorkel), 1:33
    • 12-01-15 - SCY - 1:32+, 1:32+, 1:30 (pushed the last one harder)
    • 12-29-15 - SCY - 1:40, 1:37, 1:37
    • 01-16-16 - SCY - 1:33, 1:33, 1:32
    • 03-29-16 - SCY - 1:35+, 1:34, loafed last round
    • 04-20-16 - SCY - 1:30-, 1:30+, 1:28-
    • 06-22-16 - SCY - 1:35, 1:35, 1:37

Cool-down (250 set / 3,000 total)
    5 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,000 SCY

Comments:
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Virgina pool-a-palooza

by , June 20th, 2016 at 11:01 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After my test set last Tuesday, I had another short day of training on the 15th with only 1,000 gotten in before a long day to and from San Francisco. I somehow managed a decent enough 2,800 SCM on Thursday the 16th, but was shut out of all exercise on Friday as I flew east to Virginia for the triple purpose of dropping #3 daughter at a summer camp, seeing my parents and seeing my brother.

Things keep coming in threes as I added three new pools over the last three days - http://goo.gl/bHkNyY.

My swim on Sunday at Christiansburg was supposed to be my full run at my ZipFizz 200s (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?38406-Skipped-a-Zip), but time conspired against me. I had this grand plan of dropping my daughter off at camp, getting in an hour-ish long swim and then stopping into Roanoke to see my old coach before heading all the way to Williamsburg in time for dinner with my brother. I ended up taking about 45 minutes longer getting my daughter to and situated in her camp than I had expected. I cut my swim down to a little more than 30 minutes, getting through the round of 5 x 200 on 2:20 with a respectable 2:07, 2:09, 2:09, 2:10, 2:10 performance. I would have been back on time at that point, except I noticed when I got back in the car that my daughter had left her water bottle in the car. As she's away for her first extended camp, a 3 week affair in a classic, rustic setting, I didn't want her to be without that and so then burned up the hour I had thought I'd spend reminiscing with my old coach running the water bottle to camp and back. I did manage to make dinner with my brother almost spot on time!

Today's workout was a variation on my 6 x 600 workout from here - http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...-1-Week-2-of-5 - except that I changed the last three rounds so that the 150s were free swim w/snorkel and the 100s were free best average. My legs were cramping big time from having been in the car so long on Sunday, but I still performed fairly well (e.g., 1:05s on the IM best average, 1:37/35/33 on the 150s free, and 1:02/00/59 on the 100s free best average).

I'm going to try to nab a fourth new pool tomorrow if I can, but, even if I don't, there's a good community center near my brother's house that I've swum at before which will provide me with both a treadmill to do my twenty minute run on and a very good pool in which to swim.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. 400 IM Test Set - better

by , June 12th, 2016 at 01:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I am going to try to get into a groove of doing this test set at least once month, but ideally once every three weeks. I had a great 8 hours of sleep last night and felt pretty good today:

Warmup sets (1,750 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend swim w/snorkel (1:17, 1:15, 1:13, 1:12)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, IM kick descend w/board (1:41+, 1:37+, 1:35, 1:32)
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise free, #2 to #5 IM order build
      • 0:34++++, 0:36+, 0:41, 0:33

• 6 x 25: on 0:35, going 5-6-7-8 AFAP strokes off the wall on the first 4, cruise #5 and AFAP on #6; w/Finis Agility Paddles

400 IM Test Set (2,050 set / 3,800 total)

• 8 x 50: on 1:00, 2 each stroke, build the odds and make sure the evens are at your target 400 IM race pace
      • In SCM, my dream is to approach the 4:39.8 I did in 2008 in a tech suit. That race was split 1:03.8, 1:11.5, 1:21.1, 1:03.4 so target 50 times would be 33.5 (2nd 50 of fly), 35+ (back), 40+ (breast) and 31+ (free)
      • My SCY splits to dream of would be 29+ fly, 31+ back, 36+ breast, 29.0 free
      • 09/17/13 - 35+, 35, 42, 33
      • 09/23/13 - 33, 35, 40+, 31+ (much better!)
      • 10/06/13 - 34, 35, 41, 32 (a little sluggish)
      • 10/27/13 - 33, 34+, 41, 31- (much better than expected)
      • 10/30/13 - 33, 34, 40+++/41---, 31-
      • 04/01/14 - 0:33, 0:35, 0:40+, 0:32
      • 04/14/14 - 0:33+, 0:35+, 0:41, 0:31+
      • 06/01/14 - 0:33+, 0:35, 0:42, 0:31
      • 06/27/14 - 0:34, 0:35, 0:42, 0:32
      • 07/27/14 - 0:35, 0:35, 0:42, 0:32
      • 05/21/16 - 0:36, 0:37, 0:42, 0:33+
      • 06/12/16 - 0:34, 0:36, 0:41, 0:33

• 4 x 100: on 1:50, do as 100 IMs, descend to your target race pace divided by 4, ideally starting on #1 no slower than 12 seconds above that
      • SCM target would be to descend from 1:22 to 1:10
      • SCY target would be to descend from 1:14+ to 1:02+
      • 09/17/13 - 1:23, 1:22, 1:19, 1:14
      • 09/23/13 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:15, 1:12+
      • 10/06/13 - 1:21, 1:17+, 1:14, 1:12-
      • 10/27/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:15, 1:11+
      • 10/30/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:14, 1:12
      • 04/01/14 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:14, 1:13
      • 04/14/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:13+, 1:11
      • 06/01/14 - 1:22, 1:20, 1:15+, 1:13
      • 06/27/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:14, 1:11+
      • 07/27/14 - 1:20, 1:16, 1:14, 1:11
      • 05/21/16 - 1:21+, 1:17, 1:15, 1:13
      • 06/12/16 - 1:21+, 1:18, 1:15, 1:12+

• Masters Minute during which I did an easy 50 swim w/snorkel
    • 2 x 200: on 3:20, build each stroke on #1, try to make #2 at your target 400 IM race pace divided by two (e.g., 2:20 in SCM, 2:05+ in SCY)
      • 09/17/13 - 2:49, 2:38
      • 09/23/13 - 2:49, 2:33
      • 10/06/13 - 2:45, 2:33
      • 10/27/13 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 10/30/13 - 2:41, 2:30+
      • 04/01/14 - 2:47, 2:36
      • 04/14/14 - 2:48, 2:30
      • 06/01/14 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 06/27/14 - 2:43+, 2:31
      • 07/27/14 - 2:45, 2:31
      • 05/21/16 - 2:47, 2:35
      • 06/12/16 - 2:45, 2:30

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:30
    • 1 x 400: IM on 6:00, AFAP, from blocks
      • 09/17/13 - 5:36 (ugh-o-rama)
      • 09/23/13 - 5:15
      • 10/06/13 - 5:10 (1:11, 1:19, 1:30, 1:10)
      • 10/27/13 - 5:20 (1:13, 1:21, 1:32, 1:14)
      • 10/30/13 - 5:12 (1:14, 1:20, 1:28, 1:10)
      • 04/01/14 - 5:21 (no splits)
      • 04/14/14 - skipped it
      • 06/01/14 - 5:13 (from dive)
      • 06/27/14 - 5:08 (from dive) <= BEST EVER on this set
      • 07/27/14 - skipped it
      • 05/21/16 - 5:21+ (from dive)
      • 06/12/16 - 5:13+ (from dive)

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,800 SCM

Comments:
    • Of all my strokes, my fly felt the best - very long and very strong. I'm still huffing and puffing and struggling as the distances get longer, but I was appreciably better on both the 200 and 400 versus three weeks ago.
    • I've got another busy week coming up, but will fortunately get to sleep in my own bed Sunday through Thursday. I do have day trips to LA (Monday) and San Fran (Wednesday) that will cut into my workout times, so I'll try to go bigger/longer on Tuesday and Thursday.
    • Anticipating some short days ahead, I'll head over to the JCC later today and do my 20 minute treadmill run.

Tags: 400 im test
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Swimtathlon Stage 2 - in the books

by , June 11th, 2016 at 05:02 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I wrapped up Stage Two of the Postal Swimtathlon (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2303&smid=7259) today by getting a timed 100 back done. In honor of this fun series, I wore my "I love clean water / Polson, MT" cap from Coach Mark "SwimDogs" Johnston:

After a 1,700 SCM warmup that included two perfectly executed 25s fast backstroke from a start - 11 kicks to about the 12-13M mark followed by 10 strokes into a perfect fast turn - I almost face planted into the wall on the actual 100 for time when I was too deep and had to take 12 kicks to the surface. The time ended up being pretty darn crappy for me, 1:15.93, but probably not too much slower than I could've gone even if I had swum the first length better. I cooled down for a 200 and called it a day at 2K SCM. I didn't want to overdo it today as I'm going to attempt my 400 IM test set tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tom & Stewart's Brutal Broken 400s

by , June 10th, 2016 at 12:07 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I've been a bad blogger of late, very busy with work and my peripatetic life. The quick run down of the last week:
    • Saturday, June 4th - was very bummed that we started our strategic planning meetings with breakfast at 8am and the JCC pool I had staked out in NJ didn't open lap swimming until 7:30am. I only got in light yoga that morning.
    • Sunday, June 5th - I was pretty darn whacked from the time in NJ and long flight back on Saturday night. I had good intentions to do my Broken Mile test set, but got through 1,300 of the warmup, felt like total crap and called it a day.
    • Monday, June 6th - see Sunday, but managed 1,550 SCM of warmup before calling it a day.
    • Tuesday, June 7th - early morning flight to LA, so I got in a 250 at home before that with great expectations of swimming in the evening. Between client & team meetings, dinner interview and late night calls with India, nothing else was accomplished from a working out perspective.
    • Wednesday, June 8th - I got a little reprieve from the go-go-go work pace when all my client meetings scheduled for San Francisco got pushed to next week. I was supposed to be on an early morning flight from Burbank to Oakland, but changed that to a midday flight back to Phoenix. As it wasn't clear to me when I went to bed on the 7th that this would happen, I was up at 5am to get ready for the flight. The switcharoo and early rising allowed me to get to Burbank's great Verdugo Aquatic Center where I finally did my Broken Mile workout - third time's kind of a charm. The pool was setup long course and my times just sucked (e.g., 50s around 36/37, 100s started at 1:13 and ended at 1:17, 150s ranged from 1:54 to 2:00), but it was good to train again.
    • Thursday, June 9th - Another slamming day of work, but I did manage to sneak over to my JCC - riding the short 0.5 mile - and do a 20 minute treadmill run. No time to swim.

Which brings us to today and this workout popped up on my 'task list' - http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?389...rday&bt=123042. I can't get going with such a short warmup and I needed a bit more rest between rounds, but performed admirably (all things considered);

Warmup sets (1,500 set)

• 4 x 100: on 1:30, w/snorkel, free swim descend (1:18, 1:15, 1:12, 1:11)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, IM kick w/board descend (1:41, 1:37, 1:35, 1:33)
    • 6 x 50: on 1:15, #1 and #6 easy w/snorkel, #2 to #5 from blocks going 25 fast stroke in IM order, 25 easy

Tom & Stewart's (Modified) Brutal Broken 400s (1,800 set / 3,300 total)
    The set is 4 rounds of a very broken 400 followed by a 50 easy
    • All of the broken parts on a 1:00 per 50 interval
    • The easy 50 on 1:30 (note that the original set just allowed for 0:30 rest between rounds, but I required more)
    • I did the odd rounds as 2 x 25 - 1 x 50 - 1 x 100 - 1 x 200
    • I reversed the order on the even rounds 1 x 200 - 1 x 100 - 1 x 50 - 2 x 25 (note that the original set had all rounds like this)
    • Times were
      • All 25s were about 0:15, but it was hard to see the clocks
      • Round 1 (50-100-200) as 0:32, 1:07, 2:20
      • Round 2 (200-100-50) as 2:20, 1:07+, 0:33
      • Round 3 (50-100-200) as 0:33, 1:08, 2:20
      • Round 4 (200-100-50) as 2:20, 1:08+, 0:33+

Cool-down (200 set / 3,500 total)

• 4 x 50: active recovery w/buoy, paddles, snorkel on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,500 SCM

Comments:
    • Though I was really only close to a target 400 pace on the 25s and the first 50, this was BY FAR, the best workout I've had this week. Thanks, as always, Stewart (*and pass along praise to Coach Tom*) for aspirational sets!
  14. New Jersey now worth visiting

by , June 3rd, 2016 at 10:26 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Since 2002, I have worked for companies that were HQd in the north-centralish NJ area (Bridgewater / Basking Ridge / Berkeley Heights). While there was a period when the Masters program at Rutgers existed and/or lap swimming at the fine Sonny Werblin center was allowed, in general I have found this area to be a wasteland when it comes to good pools in which to train. (I know I'm a spoiled southwesterner). After many years and lots of struggles, though, the Berkeley Aquatic Club finally has their new pool - an exceptional 10 lane x 50 meter gem - open in the heart of New Providence ...

... and I managed to squeeze in a 1,500 LCM workout this morning before my business meetings. I wished for two things as I swam ...
    • Presently, that the lap swimming would've opened earlier so I could've swum longer as the 8am opening time didn't allow me much swim-time before my 9am meetings.
    • In the past, that this pool would've opened 6 years ago as it is literally right next door to the office where my current company started back in 2010. (Even now, it's only 10 minutes from our HQ).

While my work doesn't require me to be in NJ that much these days, it will certainly be a helluva lot better coming here with this great pool waiting for me!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. New pool + SF sun & 50% to a bonk

by , June 2nd, 2016 at 08:06 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I resolved to do a little work on strengthening my legs (which fell apart over the course of the four days at Nationals), as well as add some variety to my aerobic work and started back on the treadmill on Tuesday morning at the JCC. I just did a 20 minute variant like I have done in the past ...
    • 5 minutes walking warmup at 15:00/mile pace
    • 6 rounds of
      • 1 minute running at 10:00/mile pace
      • 1 minute walk at 15:00/mile pace

• 3 minutes additional cool-down at 15:00/mile pace

... and then went for my first swim (my standard 1,500 warmup sets) in the re-designed, expanded and re-built pool ...

... making that my 232nd pool. As I swam and thought about this number, I also realized that I need to pick-up the pace if I'm to reach my 1,001 pools goal - http://www.1001pools.com/#!2016-Summ...f255d230f132c2.

On Wednesday, I was back in San Francisco, but after getting in late the night before, couldn't rouse myself for either Stanford's 5:20am or Burlingame's 5:30am workouts. Fortunately, Burlingame had a 7am workout and I got in a great 3,750 SCY with Corey Ferrara coaching. The only thing I didn't count on was bright sunshine - it's usually still cloudy at the time of morning - and was a little afraid I was going to show up to my client meeting with a red face as I had not packed sunblock. I guess all my years swimming in the more powerful AZ sun helped as a barrier as I just browned up a little.

As I'm now heading to New Jersey for a Friday - Saturday mid-year strategy meeting and unsure of how much pool time I'm going to get, I made another attempt this morning at Stewart's 20 x 100 set (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?379...rday&bt=121071), but I probably should've taken the day off as I started to get a pain in the left shoulder, right in the ball & socket joint, mid-way through the second round of four. I was holding decent times - 1:05/06 in SCM - but the pain got pretty searing on round three and so I switched to kick midway through that, and then kicked the fourth round. I haven't had that kind of pain since 2013 and I certainly don't want a repeat of that. I've probably overdone it a bit over the last 11 days. In a good way, my work meetings will force me to take it easy, athletically at least, for the next two days!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Pulse Plot and Swimtathlon

by , May 28th, 2016 at 06:16 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I got a glorious 9 hours of sleep last night and felt simply awesome when I woke up and got going on the day. I was a whirlwind of energy and accomplishment - washed dogs, walked dogs, vacuumed pool, cleaned the pool deck, got my wife's car vacuumed and washed, got my daughter's bike ride-ready for the summer and returned some library books - all done before I dove in the pool around 10:50am for the Salo Pulse Plot set as my main set, with an additional 100 breast for time at the end to work on my Q2 entry for the Swimtathlon (http://www.flowswimmers.com/Events/S...bmission.htm):

Warmup sets (1,550 set)

• 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend with snorkel (1:17, 1:14+, 1:13, 1:10+)
    • 4 x 50: on 0:50, w/monofin, goiing ~10 fast SDKs off each wall, belly on odd laps / back on even laps
    • 2 rounds of:
      • ​3 x 50: on 1:00
        • ​#1 cruise w/snorkel
        • #2 and #3 IM order strong (0:33-, 0:36, 0:41, 0:31+)

• ​0:15 rest
      • 4 x 25: on 1:30 per pair, odds fast from blocks reverse IM order, evens easy

• ​1 x 50:easy

Salo Test Set: Pulse Chart (850 set / 2,400 total)

• 8 x 100: on 3:00, taking pulse for 0:10 three times after swim: immediately (though I do this at 0:10 after the swim), 0:30 after swim, 1:00 after swim
    • Aim is to go 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%
      • 09/06/10 - 1:12, 1:08, 1:04+, 1:02-, 1:02-, 1:05, 1:07+, 1:09+
      • 10/06/10 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 05/13/11 - 1:10, 1:05, 1:04, 1:02, 1:03, 1:05, 1:07, 1:09
      • 06/10/11 - 1:08, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 08/06/11 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:05, 1:02+, 1:01+, 1:06, 1:07, 1:09
      • 09/03/11 - 1:13, 1:09+, 1:07, 1:04+, 1:04-, 1:07+, 1:09-, 1:11
      • 10/01/11 - 1:10, 1:09., 1:05, 1:03, 1:03, 1:06+, 1:07+, 1:12
      • 11/01/11 - 1:13, 1:09, 1:07+, 1:03+, 1:03, 1:07, 1:09+, 1:10-
      • 12/01/11 - 1:09+, 1:05, 1:05, 1:01+, 1:02+, 1:04+, 1:06+, 1:08
      • 02/21/12 - 1:11, 1:10, 1:07, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:06, 1:08, 1:10
      • 03/20/12 - 1:10, 1:06+, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:05+, 1:06, 1:08+
      • 04/18/12 - 1:10, 1:07, 1:04, 1:03+, 1:02+, 1:05, 1:07, 1:08+
      • 06/01/12 - 1:12, 1:09, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:07, 1:08, 1:09+
      • 06/28/12 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:05, 1:01+, 1:01+, 1:05, 1:08, 1:10
      • 09/07/12 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:06+, 1:09, 1:10+
      • 10/10/12 - 1:15, 1:09+, 1:04+, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:05, 1:07, 1:10
      • 11/07/12 - 1:13, 1:09, 1:06, 1:04, 1:05, 1:06+, 1:08, 1:09
      • 05/02/13 -- 1:11, 1:07, 1:05, 1:04+
      • 07/30/13 -- 1:18, 1:15, 1:12, 1:08, 1:08, 1:10, 1:12, 1:16
      • 08/27/13 -- 1:16, 1:11, 1:08, 1:04, 1:04, 1:08+, 1:10+, 1:14
      • 09/24/13 - 1:14, 1:10, 1:05+, 1:03, 1:03, 1:06, 1:10+, 1:13
      • 11/16/13 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:04, 1:01+, 1:02, 1:06, 1:08+, 1:11
      • 04/02/14 - 1:13, 1:10, 1:07, 1:04, 1:04+, 1:07, 1:10, 1:13+
      • 04/23/14 - 1:10+, 1:07, 1:05, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:06, 1:07+, 1:10+
      • 05/28/14 - 1:11, 1:07, 1:05+, 1:04, 1:03, 1:06, 1:09, 1:09
      • 07/03/14 - 1:12+, 1:08, 1:06, 1:04, 1:04, 1:06+, 1:08+, 1:12
      • 07/19/14 - 1:11, 1:07, 1:05+, 1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 1:09, 1:10+
      • 04/13/15 - 1:09, 1:07, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02+, 1:06, 1:09, 1:10
      • 07/10/15 - 1:21, 1:14, 1:09, 1:03, 1:03, 1:10, 1:13+, 1:19
      • 04/23/16 - 1:16, 1:12, 1:07, 1:04, 1:03+, 1:10, 1:13, 1:14
      • 05/28/16 - 1:19, 1:13, 1:08, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:11, 1:14, 1:17

• 1 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel

Swimtathlon Stage 2 (350 set / 2,750 total)
    • 1 x 100: from blocks, for time, wife timing and starting - 1:20.75
    • 5 x 50: active recovery w/buoy, paddles, snorkel; 2 on 0:45, 2 on 0:50

TOTAL: 2,750 SCM

Comments:
    • This was, by a huge margin, the best I've felt in the water since Nationals. I'm not sure if it was the sleep or the fact that I had, if not swum well, swum a fair amount over four workouts earlier in the week. Whatever it was, my stroke felt great. It have me a dose of confidence that I won't completely tank my 1500 this Monday.
    • The pulse plot (attached) actually looks pretty comparable to what I did right before Nationals and way better than I was in June of 2012.
    • As for the 100 breast, I was thinking I'd dip under 1:20, so was OK with the time. When my wife first told me the time, she said, "One twenty seven five." Instead of hearing 1:20.75, I heard "1:27.50" and thought I had completely sucked. I asked her to check her time again as I was sure I wasn't that slow. When she showed me the watch, I breathed a sigh of relief.
    • I think tomorrow I'll do a quick warmup and then have someone time me in a 100 fly as then I'll only have the 100 backstroke left to complete in Stage 2.
    • On other competition front, I found a USAS meet at the end of June that has the 400 IM as the very first event and so will get to do that!

Tags: pulse plot
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  17. Two for Tuesday with Stewart

by , May 25th, 2016 at 12:27 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    We missed having the third amigo from Monday this morning (hope you didn't get called in for a night shift, Kurt) and had to cut workout short to make our respective flights, but Stewart and I got a great workout from Paul Smith this morning down at Kino pool in Mesa. The water was spot-on perfect temperature and I swam much better than yesterday:

Warmup sets (1,150)
    • Open warmup during which I did a 150 kick-drill IM (no free)
    • 4 x 75: on 1:15, IM by 75, drill-build swim-kick
    • 8 x 50: on 0:40, descend in 4s, I swam w/snorkel and was 0:33, 0:32, 0:31, 0:30
    • 12 x 25: on 0:30, IM order in 3s, cruise swim - fast swim - power kick

Main set (2,000 set)
    • 3 x 200: on 2:45, free, descend to 1650 pace, 2:15 - 2:09 - 2:04+
    • 1 x 400: on 6:00, IM, negative split each 100
    • 2 x 200: on 2:45, descend to 1000 pace, I think my first one was right around 2:09 and then I was 2:02
    • 1 x 400: on 6:00, IM, negative split each 100
    • 1 x 200: supposed to be fast, at 500 pace, and I threw my legs into this, but was 2:03

Cooled-down a 150

TOTAL: 3,300 SCY

Comments:
    • I really should make more of an effort to get down to Kino. I really like training with Paul on deck and it was extra good today to train with Stewart next to me and to hold my own a little better than yesterday.
    • Stewart and I drove to the airport together, which was great since, as good as it is to train together, you don't get a lot of quality conversation in between sets. One of the topics of conversation was the paradox of being able to compete like hell in the pool / races, but remain friends outside of the pool. Unbeknownst to me, there was a lot of very non-positive drama in some of the women's events (and, maybe, in other age groups, the men's events). While I certainly don't like losing, at least for me, when I do and I can sit back and reflect, getting beaten usually helps me to reframe my race into looking at what my competitors did as "the art of the possible." In addition, I am genuinely pleased when I see my swimming friends do things I know they are happy with, even if their times were faster than mine. Of course, it also really helps to have a healthy dose of "It's just Masters" when framing any race result in my mind.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. First 400IM SCM Test Set in almost two years

by , May 21st, 2016 at 05:03 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    For a guy who really loves racing the 400 IM, I really don't seem to do a lot of them straight in workout. While I've done my 400 IM test set in SCY a few times since the summer of 2014, today's effort was the first time I've done it in SCM since July of 2014!

Warmup sets (1,750 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend swim w/snorkel (1:17, 1:15, 1:13+, 1:09+)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, IM kick descend w/board (1:41+, 1:39, 1:36, 1:33+)
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise free, #2 to #5 IM order build
      • 0:35, 0:37+, 0:42, 0:33

• 6 x 25: on 0:35, going 5-6-7-8 AFAP strokes off the wall on the first 4, cruise #5 and AFAP on #6; w/Finis Agility Paddles

400 IM Test Set (2,050 set / 3,800 total)

• 8 x 50: on 1:00, 2 each stroke, build the odds and make sure the evens are at your target 400 IM race pace
      • In SCM, my dream is to approach the 4:39.8 I did in 2008 in a tech suit. That race was split 1:03.8, 1:11.5, 1:21.1, 1:03.4 so target 50 times would be 33.5 (2nd 50 of fly), 35+ (back), 40+ (breast) and 31+ (free)
      • My SCY splits to dream of would be 29+ fly, 31+ back, 36+ breast, 29.0 free
      • 09/17/13 - 35+, 35, 42, 33
      • 09/23/13 - 33, 35, 40+, 31+ (much better!)
      • 10/06/13 - 34, 35, 41, 32 (a little sluggish)
      • 10/27/13 - 33, 34+, 41, 31- (much better than expected)
      • 10/30/13 - 33, 34, 40+++/41---, 31-
      • 04/01/14 - 0:33, 0:35, 0:40+, 0:32
      • 04/14/14 - 0:33+, 0:35+, 0:41, 0:31+
      • 06/01/14 - 0:33+, 0:35, 0:42, 0:31
      • 06/27/14 - 0:34, 0:35, 0:42, 0:32
      • 07/27/14 - 0:35, 0:35, 0:42, 0:32
      • 05/21/16 - 0:36, 0:37, 0:42, 0:33+

• 4 x 100: on 1:50, do as 100 IMs, descend to your target race pace divided by 4, ideally starting on #1 no slower than 12 seconds above that
      • SCM target would be to descend from 1:22 to 1:10
      • SCY target would be to descend from 1:14+ to 1:02+
      • 09/17/13 - 1:23, 1:22, 1:19, 1:14
      • 09/23/13 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:15, 1:12+
      • 10/06/13 - 1:21, 1:17+, 1:14, 1:12-
      • 10/27/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:15, 1:11+
      • 10/30/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:14, 1:12
      • 04/01/14 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:14, 1:13
      • 04/14/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:13+, 1:11
      • 06/01/14 - 1:22, 1:20, 1:15+, 1:13
      • 06/27/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:14, 1:11+
      • 07/27/14 - 1:20, 1:16, 1:14, 1:11
      • 05/21/16 - 1:21+, 1:17, 1:15, 1:13

• Masters Minute during which I did an easy 50 swim w/snorkel
    • 2 x 200: on 3:20, build each stroke on #1, try to make #2 at your target 400 IM race pace divided by two (e.g., 2:20 in SCM, 2:05+ in SCY)
      • 09/17/13 - 2:49, 2:38
      • 09/23/13 - 2:49, 2:33
      • 10/06/13 - 2:45, 2:33
      • 10/27/13 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 10/30/13 - 2:41, 2:30+
      • 04/01/14 - 2:47, 2:36
      • 04/14/14 - 2:48, 2:30
      • 06/01/14 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 06/27/14 - 2:43+, 2:31
      • 07/27/14 - 2:45, 2:31
      • 05/21/16 - 2:47, 2:35

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:30
    • 1 x 400: IM on 6:00, AFAP, from blocks
      • 09/17/13 - 5:36 (ugh-o-rama)
      • 09/23/13 - 5:15
      • 10/06/13 - 5:10 (1:11, 1:19, 1:30, 1:10)
      • 10/27/13 - 5:20 (1:13, 1:21, 1:32, 1:14)
      • 10/30/13 - 5:12 (1:14, 1:20, 1:28, 1:10)
      • 04/01/14 - 5:21 (no splits)
      • 04/14/14 - skipped it
      • 06/01/14 - 5:13 (from dive)
      • 06/27/14 - 5:08 (from dive) <= BEST EVER on this set
      • 07/27/14 - skipped it
      • 05/21/16 - 5:21+ (from dive)

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,800 SCM

Comments:

• All things considered, this wasn't a bad performance.
    • While most of my training between here and La Jolla will be freestyle-centric, I am going to try to do this roughly every 3 weeks as, after La Jolla, I'll turn my attention to training for this event for the SCM season.
    Tags: 400 im test
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Unbreaking

by , May 19th, 2016 at 08:54 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Man, it really takes me long to recover from a big meet. I'm not sure how much of this is physical versus emotional/mental, but I still feel like crap in the water. Today's performance on the Broken Mile was a little better and I had a few moments in the set, but never longer than a 25, where my stroke felt connected and good. My goal was to hold 35 - 1:11 - 1:48 and I pretty much did that. It wasn't a slog, but it also was pretty far from being smooth:

Warmup sets (1,500 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick drill
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend w/buoy, paddles, snorkel (1:15, 1:13+, 1:12, 1L11)
    • 8 x 50: on 0:50, w/monofin 10 USDKs AFAP off first wall on belly then easy into a fast turn and & 10 USDKs AFAP on back
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 easy, #2 to #5 strong IM order (0:35, 0:37+, 0:43, 0:34)

Broken Mile (1,500 set / 3,000 total)

• 3 rounds of:
      • 3 x 50: on 0:50
      • 2 x 100: on 1:35
      • 1 x 150: on 2:20

• 50s
      • 04-12-12 - 0:32 to 0:33+
      • 04-18-14 - Round 1 solid 33s, Round 2 at 33+, Round 3 at 33+/34
      • 08-25-14 - 0:35s on rounds 1 and 2, 0:34s on round 3
      • 08-26-15 - 0:35s on all rounds
      • 09-02-15 - 0:33 to 0:33+ on all rounds
      • 09-09-15 - solid 33s on round 1 and 2, then 0:33+ to 0:34+ on round 3
      • 09-19-15 - 0:35s on round 1, 0:35, 0:34+, 0:34, 0:34 on round 2, 0:34s on round 3
      • 09-25-15 - 0:35s on round 1, 0:34+ on round 2 and 0:33s on round 3
      • 09-30-15 - 0:33s on rounds 1 and 2, 0:33+ to 0:34 on round 3
      • 10-06-15 - 0:32+ on round 1; 0:33 then 0:32+ on round2; 0:32s on round 3
      • 10-21-15 - 0:32+ on rounds 1 and 2; 0:32s on round 3
      • 02-15-16 - 32+, 33, 34, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35+
      • 05-06-16 - 36, then a mix of 34+/35s
      • 05-19-16 - 35, 34, 34, 35, 35, 34, 35, 35, 34-

• 100s
      • 04-12-12 -- were 1:06 to 1:08, those bookends each occurred once
      • 04-18-14 - Round 1 1:07s, Round 2 1:07+, Round 3 1:08, 1:08+
      • 08-25-14 - 1:11s on round 1, 1:12s on round 2, 1:10+ on round 3
      • 08-26-15 - 1:11s round 1, 1:12-1:10+ round 2, 1:12s round 3
      • 09-02-15 - 1:08 to 1:08+ on all rounds
      • 09-09-15 - 1:07 & 1:07+ on round 1, 1:08s on round 2, then 1:09+ and 1:11 on round 3
      • 09-19-15 - 1:12+, 1:11, 1:12, 1:10+, 1:10+, 1:10
      • 09-25-15 - 1:12, 1:10, 1:10+, 1:10, 1:08, 1:08
      • 09-30-15 - 1:07, 1:07, 1:07+, 1:07+, 1:09+, 1:11 (last one w/buoy)
      • 10-06-15 - 1:06+, 1:06+, 1:06+, 1:07, 1:06+, 1:06+
      • 10-21-15 - 1:07, 1:06, 1:07+, 1:05+, 1:06, 1:05
      • 02-15-16 - 1:10, 1:10+, 1:12, 1:12, 1:12, 1:12
      • 05-06-16 - 1:14, then 1:12s with the odd 1:11 in there
      • 05-19-16 - 1:11+, 1:10+, 1:11+, 1:10, 1:12, 1:11

• 150s
      • 04-12-12 - 1:41, 1:41, 1:40
      • 04-18-14 - 1:42, :142+, 1:43
      • 08-25-14 - 1:48, 1:50, 1:46
      • 08-26-15 - 1:51, 1:47, 1:50
      • 09-02-15 - 1:43, 1:43, 1:42
      • 09-09-15 - 1:43, 1:43+, 1:49 (even though I put on a buoy and paddles to try to help my failing arms)
      • 09-19-15 - 1:48, 1:46+, 1:45
      • 09-25-15 - 1:46+, 1:46+, 1:41+
      • 09-30-15 - 1:42+, 1:43, 1:50 (last one w/buoy & paddles)
      • 10-06-15 - 1:40+, 1:40, 1:40
      • 10-21-15 - 1:40, 1:39+, 1:37+
      • 02-15-16 - 1:48, 1:48+, 1:50
      • 05-06-16 - 1:50, 1:48, 1:43 (but I really pushed the last one hard)
      • 05-19-16 - 1:48, 1:47+, 1:45

Cool-down 250

TOTAL: 3,250 SCM

Comments:
    • I had a brutally long day trip yesterday over to LA that required me to wake up at 4am. While I was pretty tired on Tuesday night, I got myself into one of those loops where I got worried that I wouldn't get enough sleep and then proceeded to not be able to fall asleep until right near midnight. Somehow I survived the day and even had some decently good client and team meetings, but I'm still pretty whacked from that.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. The edge of the taper cliff

by , May 10th, 2016 at 11:32 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Karl had made a comment leading up to Greensboro (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?387...lready-tapered) about how taper is a period of time and not a precise pinpoint in time. While I generally agree with him, I think my period of optimal performance in taper mode is pretty short. Either that or I place so much emphasis, mentally and physically, at the big meet that I'm just wiped afterwards. While I've seen a number of swimmers talk about how they still have easy speed and feel good in workouts after a big meet, I almost always crash and burn and go through a period of absolutely sh*tty training after my big meet. Today was no different on an early morning repeat of my 3 x 300 test set:

Warmup sets (1,750 set)

• 1 x 400: IM kick-drill
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, gentle descend pull w/snorkel, buoy & paddles (1:15, 1:14, 1:12+, 1:10)
    • 16 x 25: on 0:35, w/monofin, SDK on belly, in sets of 4 as #1 moderate 2 breaths, #2 moderate 0 breaths, #3 moderate 1 breath, #4 AFAP 0 breaths
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 & #6 easy free on 1:00, #2 to #5 build IM (0:37, 0:37, 0:44, 0:34+)
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, 5-6-7-8 AFAP strokes off the walls w/paddles then easy rest of 25
    • 1 x 50: scull w/snorkel

3 x 300 Test Set (1,150 set / 2,900 total)

3 x 300: free on 4:30, fast pace aiming to even split as much as possible
    Aim to determine your 100 aerobic workout pace:

• 08-07-09: 3:36, 3:34+, 3:33
    • 09-01-09: 3:27, 3:25+, 3:26
    • 11-16-09: 3:47, 3:49, 3:51
    • 12-08-09: 3:31, 3:32, 3:30
    • 01-10-10: 3:32, 3:30, 3:31
    • 01-21-10: 3:28+, 3:26+, 3:23 (w/B70 leggings)
    • 03-02-10: 3:28, 3:29, 3:27 (w/TYR leggings)
    • 04-09-10: 3:34, 3:28, 3:27 (w/endurance jammers)
    • 08-16-10: 3:34+, 3:37, 3:38 (w/endurance jammers)
    • 05-06-11: 3:32, 3:29, 3:31 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 06-03-11: 3:27+, 3:26+, 3:26 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 07-04-11: 3:30, 3:36, 3:42 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 09-07-11: 3:41, 3:37, 3:37
    • 10-07-11: 3:42, 3:39, 3:36
    • 11-10-11: 3:30, 3:26+, 3:27 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 11-29-11: 3:30, 3:34, 3:37 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 01-02-12: 3:46, 3:44, 3:41+ (Yingfa jammers)
    • 01-31-12: 3:39, 3:36, 3:35 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 02-27-12: 3:34, 3:30+, 3:27+ (Nike lycra brief)
    • 03-26-12: 3:28, 3:25, 3:24 (ancient paper jammers) best non-tech suit performance
    • 05-19-12: 3:32, 3:34, 3:35 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 06-19-12: 3:30, 3:28, 3:25+ (Nike lycra brief)
    • 07-12-12: 3:44, 3:42, 3:30 (Yingfa jammers)
    • 08-19-12: 3:32, 3:31, 3:33 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 09-14-12: 3:31+, 3:31, 3:29 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 03-25-13: 4:05, 4:00+, 3:57 (Nike lycra brief)
    • 04-12-13: 3:48, 3:45, 3:42 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 05-10-13: 3:42+, 3:39, 3:40 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 08-11-13: 3:50, 3:45, 3:40 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 08-31-13: 3:39, 3:37, 3:34+ (ancient paper jammers)
    • 10-05-13: 3:38+, 3:33+, 3:32(ancient paper jammers)
    • 11-09-13: 3:28, 3:31, 3:29 (ancient paper jammers)
    • 03-29-14: 3:39, 3:35, 3:33 (Yingfa jammers plus silicon cap)
    • 05-06-14: 3:37, 3:39, 3:38
    • 06-03-14: 3:30, 3:28+, 3:28 (Speedo endurance jammers)
    • 07-10-14: 3:27, 3:25, 3:26+ (Finis Hydrospeed jammer)
    • 08-19-14: 3:37, 3:34, 3:33 (Finis Hydrospeed jammer)
    • 05-03-15: 3:40, 3:34, 3:30 (Finis Hydrospeed hammer)
    • 07-06-15: 3:32, 3:36, ... skipped (Finis hydrospeed jammer)
    • 08-16-15: 3:38, 3:35, 3:32 (endurance jammers)
    • 09-14-15: 3:32+, 3:32+, 3:29 (endurance jammers)
    • 10-19-15: 3:27, 3:28, 3:31 (endurance jammers)
    • 03-13-16: 3:35, 3:33, 3:33 (old TYR Tracer Light)
    • 05-10-16: 3:44, 3:42, 3:38 (endurance jammers)

5 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel, 3 on 0:45, 2 on 0:55

TOTAL: 2,900 SCM

Comments:
    • Looking back at similar times, this is my worst May performance ever. And yet, in spite of that, I was pretty happy with it. I was again focusing heavily on fast turns and my stroke felt somewhat decent.
    • I think that after Greensboro, I really fell over the taper cliff and it will take some time for me to recover. I did get to a yoga class yesterday and I could feel some different muscles a little tired, but in a good way. I think I'll get some decent swims in this week on a biz trip to the Bay Area and then hopefully will be able to draft off Kurt for as long as possible at Saturday's 4,500 open water swim in Canyon Lake.
    • This video from TEDx and Dana Vollmer is a great way to spend 15 minutes of your life - https://swimswam.com/dana-vollmer-te...-golden-heart/. I can't claim anywhere near the success that Ms. Vollmer has had, but the way she described her experience at 2012 Trials and the way she re-cast stress ahead of her racing echoes how I was finally able to approach my own stress at big meets at Greensboro this year. While all my swims weren't what I wanted, probably the biggest positive impact of the meet was how calmly & 'positively' stressed I was before each event.

Tags: test 3 x 300
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast