Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You had to be happy with your 200 fly, I'll bet?
    I was. My 200 fly has been on a downward spiral for a few years, so it's nice to bring it back down a little for once. Too bad I couldn't go a little faster because it was anyone's race in my age group.
    Nice swimming Patrick!!! Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Your 200 fly looked great. I could actually see you pick up the pace on the seventh 25. I don't see that much in that event! Usually it's people just trying to keep their stroke legal by that point.
    Thanks, Kirk! Unfortunately, you probably also saw me start to lose the pace on the 8th 25 ... that last 25 hurt baaaad.

You had to be happy with your 200 fly, I'll bet?
    Your 200 fly looked great. I could actually see you pick up the pace on the seventh 25. I don't see that much in that event! Usually it's people just trying to keep their stroke legal by that point.
    Patrick your breastroke underwaters were really far and fast too. They were definitely a weapon and didn't seem to cost you in aerobic capacity as a consequence. Congrats on joining the ranks of us breaststrokers. You almost beat Roque too!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Agree, it's definitely hard to concentrate and swim fast while also working. Jim calls it the "cranial brownout" when work takes up your mental energy. Glad you rebound with a splendid 200 back! Go get 'em tomorrow!
    Thanks, Leslie. RE: work and swimming fast, I think it is not a coincidence that I swam exceptionally well back at the Rowdy Gaines meet when that meet fell at the end of a week of vacation. Similarly, I swam well in Greensboro and Austin, both of which felt like mini-vacations as I took at least a day off ahead of each meet and was hanging out with family throughout the meets.

I can't really blame work for my 400 IM, though, this time - poor race execution and, admittedly, probably a lack of conditioning due to the 'lost time' from my foot injury mid-January through Feb.

It is a good reminder, though, that when I really want to have a super-focus-peak-swim-out-of-my-mind meet, I need to detach from work ahead of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    It all depends on your definition of "crowded." If your definition is "Atlanta 2010," the warmup pools are an outer-suburbs Y at mid-afternoon. If it is "Clovis 2009," the warmup pools are chaos.
    Very true. Clovis was wonderful, though I only ended up swimming one day of that meet.

We really need to get SoCal to host a SCY Nationals at Irvine with their 2 x 50 meter pools right next to each other. Although, it looks like we'll have a great setup of pools next spring in San Antonio.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    I'm hoping the parking isn't too much of a madhouse tomorrow morning.
    You and me both. I'm a bit worried about there being room today, but we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I noticed your 200 back today. That was excellent. Sorry you were a bit disappointed with the IM but to come back with an event like your backstroke a few hours later is really great
    Yeah, Mark, it looks like you and I both re-bounded well after a slower than expected first event.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congratulations Patrick. With all the work wrapped around your swim I think you did incredibly well. Both swims were terrific. Good luck the rest of the meet.
    Thanks, Stewart. With only 200s left, the rest of the meet will be awesome.
    Very nice swimming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congratulations Patrick. With all the work wrapped around your swim I think you did incredibly well. Both swims were terrific. Good luck the rest of the meet.
    Agree, it's definitely hard to concentrate and swim fast while also working. Jim calls it the "cranial brownout" when work takes up your mental energy. Glad you rebound with a splendid 200 back! Go get 'em tomorrow!
    It all depends on your definition of "crowded." If your definition is "Atlanta 2010," the warmup pools are an outer-suburbs Y at mid-afternoon. If it is "Clovis 2009," the warmup pools are chaos. Get there early tomorrow morning to avoid parking chaos; then, please, let us women warm up for the 500. (Then later stop by the MAM tent, either on deck or outside the fence, for a bit of socializing.)

Back on point, that is really the way to swim a 200 back, I think: Lay off until you have about 75 to go, and then pour it on if you can. Glad you had a good swim today!
    Nice job Patrick! Best of luck tomorrow!
    Nice swimming, Patrick!

Glad to hear that the warm up pools don't seem overly crowded. I'm hoping the parking isn't too much of a madhouse tomorrow morning.
    I noticed your 200 back today. That was excellent. Sorry you were a bit disappointed with the IM but to come back with an event like your backstroke a few hours later is really great. get some rest. see you tomorrow.
    Good luck, swim fast and have fun!
    Good luck!
    Good luck! That 400 IM looks fun! Good competition all around you.