View RSS Feed

My Passion

Ever since I can remember, in the water is where I have wanted to be. After a 25 year break, I have been back in the water for 3 years, starting my 4th year and still lovin' it. Spreading my love to others that I interact with on a daily basis, and getting some of them to love it too!!

1. Good Friday Practice

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 06:43 PM (My Passion)
    Practice was hard today, but kind of fun too. Started with a 200 warm-up, then 2 X 100's on 1:30 After that, we did:
    7 X 50 free sprint with a 25 head up kick with a board between each one - came out to 500 yards.
    We did another set of free and then one breast (I enjoyed the breast one the most ).
    Another set 5 X 50 breast with a 25 kick in between each one and a 300 cool down - 2500 yards and time went by quickly - because I was not miserable with the workout!!!!
    Tomorow morning practice with my other team will start off the weekend wonderfully!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Dryland Thursday

by , January 21st, 2010 at 05:53 PM (My Passion)
    Today my buddy and I took a break from the stairmill (she had the same experience on Wednesday that I had on Tuesday). So we decided to do a machine that is like an elipse, however it has arm work and it also moves in a stair motion as well as an elipse motion. 45 minutes. Good workout, good cardio, good conversation, and no heat sicknes. Tomorrow is swimming!!
  3. Overheated at the gym

by , January 19th, 2010 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Got to gym at 5 am and it felt warm, but I went to my locker and put my stuff up, saw my workout buddy come in as I started out to the floor. Started stairmill at level 7 (in the past I have done level 10 for 45 minutes) for 35 minutes. My buddy got there as I was setting it up and we have been agreeing on 35 minutes lately,

We were climbing and talking and it was hot. I kept drinking, but started to feel nauseous, At 15 minutes in, I lowered the level to 4 (way low for me). I was still feeling bad, but kept going. My friend said she could see the beads of sweat on my legs and I had wiped my face several times.

I got off right at 35 minutes (I usually climb real slow to cool down) and sat down on another machine. After a while, I got up and wiped down my machine, told my friend I was just going to stretch and walked slowly to my favorite stretch area. A guy I sometimes work out with was stretching there and I talked to him as I stretched. I started feeling much better after about 20 minutes. To think I got that overheated in the middle of winter!

This week we have been in the high 60's and low 70's, but to get that overheated in an indoor gym, No Fun! Glad tomorrow is a swimming day!
  4. Back to the blog

by , January 13th, 2010 at 07:09 PM (My Passion)
    After taking rest days Saturday and Sunday due to the cold spell, I swam on Monday and worked out in the gym on Tuesday, but have been too lazy to blog.

Today - the workout was all back stroke. As much as I love swimming (and I DO LOVE swimming ) I HATE backstroke . I realize I need to get better at it, so I sucked it up and swam backstroke. 1800 yards and worked on my technique as I swam.

While swimming, I noticed the girl next to me (who swims most strokes much slower than me, was keeping up until the turn. I told her that, and she said she has always had problems with flip turns (free or back). So we both stopped and I let her watch me and I watched her and gave her pointers, and she was starting to make improvement, when the coach asked me if I had finished the sets. He knew I hadn't and I explained that I was helping my buddy. He said to swim. I told my friend what to practice on her own and we would work some more when we can get a chance.

I really wish that if the coach does not want to help the less experienced swimmers, he would let those of us who like to teach, do it. It was during my own workout time, and I did not mind - I enjoyed helping my friend.

Don't know what to do about a coach that is always there at 4:45 am, but only pays attention to those who are fast, especially young and fast. He ingores those who he does not see potential in, and wants to make racers out of everyone, no matter what their own personal goals. He yells at us like we are 16 years old, if we decide to do something different than what he has assigned. Many of my good friends have left him and swim with another team. The pool and time work for me, so I stick with it, but am becoming more and more unhappy. Hard to get a good coach for a 5 am practice.

P.S. (this coach is NOT with MOST who I have listed as my team. I workout with MOST on Saturdays, the coach I practice with during the week and the coach I am referring to is with another team)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Friday and it is cold

by , January 8th, 2010 at 07:30 PM (My Passion)
    5 am practice at 26 degrees in south texas - brrrrrr.

dove in with fins and did:
    2000 - like this:
    500 free - fast
    500 free up/ back back
    500 free up/ fly back
    500 free up/ breast back
    25 yd sprints in im order until we had done 4 complete ims
    100 kick

good workout, skipping practice tomorrow- 16 degrees is posted - I have worked out for 7 days straight and the real reason for skipping practice - staying in my warm bed.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Thursday and the Front has arrived

by , January 7th, 2010 at 07:07 PM (My Passion)
    I woke up at 4:30 and the first thing I thought, was 'got to get to swim practice.' Don't know why, I never swim on Thursday.

Got to the gym right after 5 am. It was 51 on my way to the gym and they just said that by 11 am, it was 36. I could see a flag really blowing from my desk all day.

Got on the stairmill and saw my buddy walk into the gym. She got the stairmill next to mine and for the next 30 minutes, on level 7, I told her about the adventureous cruise I took the week before, the week before Christmas. (that was our plan for today, to make the time go fast, she asked me to save the cruise story for the stairmill). Boy was I breathless. My voice is still hoarse from my latest asthma medication, though since I stopped taking it, it is slowly (very slowly) coming back. With the hoarse voice, it feels like it takes more effort to talk. But the stairmill went fast .

After the stairmill, I walked a steep incline of 15 at 3 miles per hour for 20 minutes then got in a good stretch.

It is cold out there. I covered our 11 Sago palms last evening in anticipation of tonight's low 20's freeze and when I got home from work, all but 1 had to be recovered. Luckly the rocks kept the sheets from blowing away, except for 1 sheet - it is long gone.

Now getting ready to watch the Longhorns stomp Bama!!

Happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wednesday Swimming

by , January 6th, 2010 at 07:38 PM (My Passion)
    Got to pool just before 5 and lead a stretch. Then did:

5 X 200 (alt free and breast every 200 - free on 3:30 and breast with 30 seconds rest)
    5 X 100 free on 1:30
    10 X 50 free on 1:00. Coach wanted 10 SDKs off of wall, I managed 8 once and 7 the rest of the time. My asthmatic condition makes it difficult to hold my breath that long with not a lot of recovery between sets.
    1 X 200 slow kick cool down

Cold front is fixin' to blow in tomorrow early, so I covered 11 Sago Palms with sheets when I got home from work today. Right now I am worried that they will blow off despite the rocks I weighed the sheets down with. Kind of looking forward to a little cool (ok cold) weather. It kills the bugs and it is fun to wrap up in sweats.
    Friday practice will happen though they are predicting 19 degrees, however, I will probably stay under my warm covers Saturday morning when they are predicting 21 degrees - I don't have to work and like to stay under the covers once in a while.

Happy Swimming .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Tuesday Dryland

by , January 5th, 2010 at 06:29 PM (My Passion)
    Was suppossed to meet workout buddy for the stairmill this morning. I was read to go at 5:10 am - she was nowhere in sight. I set the mill at level 7 for 35 minutes to give her a chance to get there. She never showed.

Stairmill felt good at level 7. Not near the fatigue I felt last week. After the stairmill and a cooldown on it at level 1, I did the ARC for 20 minutes, then got a real good stretch in for another 20 minutes.

Good workout and felt good all day. Buddy emailed me that she slept through her alarm today. That is always a hazard with these very early morning workouts. We are back on again for Thursday. Swimming tomorrow.

Happy Swimming
  9. Monday Practice

by , January 4th, 2010 at 07:01 PM (My Passion)
    5 am - 37 degrees - this was the workout:

1 X 100 free (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Fly (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Back (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Breast (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 250 Free
    5 X 50 - Assigned Free/Back alternating every 50 - did Free/Breast alternating every 50
    5 X 100 - Assigned Free/Fly alternating every 100, did 100 free alternating with 50 fly (shoulders still sore from Saturday's Fly)
    5 X 200 Alternating free/breast every 200
    Assigned 10 X 50 alternating breast/fly, but as the time was running out, I did:
    1 X 50 free
    1 X 50 breast
    1 X 100 free cool down

Good workout for me. Water was comfortable.
    Took my car in for repairs after last week's accident. Now I have a red PT Cruiser, the only thing is that since my garage door opener is part of my car, no door opener this week and it is suppossed to be 18 degrees by Friday. Now I know it is already that cold elsewhere, but I have lived in South Texas for 26 years and am now a wimp when it is below 20 and now I have to get out of my car to open and close the garage.

The good news is that Runner Hubby, who finally went to a swim practice with me on Saturday and complained about how stressed his breathing was and how unbearably cold the water was (nice comfortable swimming temperature water), told me last evening, that he will probably swim with me once a week now. I am flabbergasted as I have been trying to get him to swim with me for the last four years .

Happy Swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. First Run of 2010

by , January 3rd, 2010 at 11:21 AM (My Passion)
    Today we met in Helotes at 7:30. I got there first, followed by Kelly who said that Mary thought she may have strep and wouldn't joins us today. Ernie and Kathy showed up next, followed by Bob and then Dennis and Sophie.

Kathy, Bob and I were going to run between 5 and 6, while everyone else wanted to do between 10 and 12 miles. (I don't like running enough to run that much any more).

The weather was 45 and overcast. We ran 5.7 miles. It was a good run.

I took a hot bath when I got home and now am ready for the day.

Happy Swimming.
  11. First swim in 2010

by , January 2nd, 2010 at 10:31 AM (My Passion)
    Went to the MOST practice at 6:00 am at UTSA.

This is what we did:

250 warm-up
    200 kick/one-arm fly
    200 free working on 2 beat kick
    8 X 25 stroke count free
    9 X 100 decending free (first 3 on 1:40, second 3 on 1:35, last 3 on 1:30)
    100 free (waiting for others to catch up)
    10 X 25 fly on 55

Brought runner hubby for his first masters work-out. I had told him that the pool was way too warm (he hates cold water) and that some people we knew would be there, and that hardly anyone comes to Saturday practice.

Today, the water was cool at first but great after we warmed-up (translation, way too cold for a runner who hates cold water). He knew two of the swimmers as well as the coach, but the other two he wanted to see did not show. There were 12 people at practice today - usually there are 6 to 7. Yeah - he thinks I am a liar .

At first he said he would not come back, but the more we talk about it, I may be able to get him to swim more(I tell him the conditioning will help his running ).

The workout was real good for me. The 10 25's of fly was the most full stroke fly I have ever done. I was tired and my shoulders are getting a little stiff now, but I did enjoy it. I felt that was a good way to build up my fly endurance.

Tomorrow is a running day - I will probably do 6 miles, and next swim is Monday morning.

Happy swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Dry Land at 5:30 am

by , December 31st, 2009 at 02:53 PM (My Passion)
    Slept in today (for me), got up at 5:10 am and in the gym around 5:35. Did 30 minutes of stairmill at level 7 (still trying to work back up to level 10). Heart Rate maxed at 157 (It is often much higher), but for some reason, I felt nauseous - badly nauseous at around 25 minutes. I completed the last few minutes leaning on the rails - which I never do. When it was over, I sat down and put my head down by my knees.

After a few minutes, felt better and got a good stretch in. Worked 5 hours, then stopped by auto repair shop for estimate and parts to order so they would be ready Monday morning. Rental car was approved by the 'at fault' party's insurance. Then to grocery store for some goodies for tonight.

Just Hubby and me tonight - and lots of goodies and some movies until the ball drops!

Happy New Year
    and
    Happy Swimming
  13. Last swim of the Year

by , December 30th, 2009 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Alarm went off at 4:35 after a night of deep sleeping with no waking - Nice Sleep

Warmed up with 200 free.
    Donned fins and we all did
    5 X 100 free on 2:00
    20 X 50 alt free/breast on 1:00
    300 cool down

I had facebooked a friend on Tuesday night that if she went to practice, we were ging to Starbucks afterward. She facebooked back that she would go to Starbucks only if I did crunches with her after practice I did not see the post, but she told me about it, so I did crunches with her and the others. I know I will be cussing her out the next few days when my abs start burning

Starbucks was nice and I left for work at 7:15. I got most of the way to work and was on the access road, ready to merge onto I-10. The exit from I-10 came before the entrance. For God only knows why (no cars exiting and a separate lane even if they were) the car in front of me stopped dead . I hit the breaks hard and stopped as well. The car behind be did the same and swerved, but hit me anyway . Meanwhile the jerk who stopped needlessly drove off.

No one was hurt. The girl who hit me was under 21 and handled herself very well. Car will be in shop starting tomorrow and I will have a rental.

If only I hadn't stopped for Starbucks (or hadn't done the crunchies ). Anything that would have put me on a different time table, so I wouldn't have been behind the Stupid, Stopping Jerk .

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday Dryland

by , December 29th, 2009 at 05:54 PM (My Passion)
    Well, I decided that the Stair Mill would be too hard-core for my tired body, so I did 45 minutes of the elipse and then stretched. Still sore from the 5 * miles on Sunday.

We had a cold rain all day today, but tomorrow should be in the low 60's and sunny, so maybe a walk after work tomorrow.

Since tomorrow will be the last swim of the year for me, a few of us will go to Starbucks before work. Gives us a chance to chat and have some dry fun!!

Happy Swimming
  15. Monday and first day back at work

by , December 28th, 2009 at 05:40 PM (My Passion)
    Got up a 4:30 this morning without the prospect of a nap today. 4:30 is not so bad when I can nap later (or after practice).

This is what we did:

1 X 100 Free swim, kick, pull, swim
    1 X 100 Breast - swim, kick, pull, swim
    5 X 100 Free evens, Breast odds
    5 X 200 Breast pull evens, kick odds
    5 X 100 Free evens, breast odds
    150 free cool down

Always good to be in the pool, even if I have to work later and since hardly anyone was at work, it was not bad at all

Tomorrow is dryland in the gym - considering 45 minutes on the stairmill, but I have all night to change my mind.

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Sunday morning

by , December 27th, 2009 at 11:30 AM (My Passion)
    Today is a sunny, cool 35 degrees. I did not want to run today (I NEVER want to run), but I like to be with my friends, so we planned on a meeting place about 2 miles from my house. I took the dog since she was so excited as I filled up my water bottle (I also brought her leash, but did not plan to use it).

As I neared the waiting place, I saw two people, I thought one was Ernie, but the other was too tall for who I was expecting to see. It turned out to be Bob, on of our swimming buddies. Kathy and Kara and run the other direction looking for Bob, but he had driven to the meeting spot since he is building up his mileage.

I introduced Kara and Bob to Samantha the dog, who by the way did very well without her leash.

We ran 3 miles to the end of the road and turned around. It was another .5 mile to my neighborhood. Kathy and Ernie refilled their water bottle at my house and the rest of them took of again.

5.5 miles is a good amount for me to build back up my distance. It was a beautiful day, with good friends and a good dog. I took a hot bath upon returning and am feeling real good right now.

Running buddies are how I keep up some of my cross-training. I HATE to run, but my friends are so fun to run with, I forget that I am running. The dog is also a good running buddy. She has stuck close to me all morning because of the run (I think she is in love with me again )

Happy Swimming
  17. Saturday after Christmas

by , December 26th, 2009 at 02:37 PM (My Passion)
    Alarm went off at 5:35 wakng me from so deep a sleep, that it took me a second or two to figure out what was happening. (I usually wake up and jump out of bed).

Practice started at 6 am and this was the workout:

100 free warm-up
    5 X 100 Fly -Kick- left arm - right arm - full fly each 25
    5 X100 Breast -Kick - 50 br drill (2 kick/pull) - full breast
    5 X 75 Back - Kick - drill- full back (last one was 50 full back)
    5 X 100 Free pull

Afterward we went to two (they are married and my running buddies) of our co-swimmers house, and they made us all breakfast. It was delicious.

Had a great day yesterday. My daughter got me an 'Ugly" suit and a cap to match and I am very excited for my current suit to wear out so I can wear my Ugly!

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Pool set up for LCM today

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:24 AM (My Passion)
    Practice at 5 am and pool was suprisingly set up for LCM. Nice change of pace. Stretched and then:

1X500 free warm up
    4X200 free on 3 minutes
    5X100 free
    cool down
    Christmas breakfast with the team

Total of 1800 meters in 30 minutes.

Today I will be attending a memorial service for a 46 year-old divorced dad of two little girls (he was going to have them for Christmas this year) killed in a motorcycle accident Friday evening. A truck pulled out in front of him. He was on a Honda Gold Wing and wearing a helmet. If you ride a motorcycle PLEASE be careful!!!! Other vehicles don't always see you and you have no protection around you if you do get in an accident.
    Those litle girls will always remember that their dad died the week before Christmas - waaaaay too soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 08:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
  20. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 08:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast