View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Good Friday Practice

by , January 22nd, 2010 at 06:43 PM (My Passion)
    Practice was hard today, but kind of fun too. Started with a 200 warm-up, then 2 X 100's on 1:30 After that, we did:
    7 X 50 free sprint with a 25 head up kick with a board between each one - came out to 500 yards.
    We did another set of free and then one breast (I enjoyed the breast one the most ).
    Another set 5 X 50 breast with a 25 kick in between each one and a 300 cool down - 2500 yards and time went by quickly - because I was not miserable with the workout!!!!
    Tomorow morning practice with my other team will start off the weekend wonderfully!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Back to the blog

by , January 13th, 2010 at 07:09 PM (My Passion)
    After taking rest days Saturday and Sunday due to the cold spell, I swam on Monday and worked out in the gym on Tuesday, but have been too lazy to blog.

Today - the workout was all back stroke. As much as I love swimming (and I DO LOVE swimming ) I HATE backstroke . I realize I need to get better at it, so I sucked it up and swam backstroke. 1800 yards and worked on my technique as I swam.

While swimming, I noticed the girl next to me (who swims most strokes much slower than me, was keeping up until the turn. I told her that, and she said she has always had problems with flip turns (free or back). So we both stopped and I let her watch me and I watched her and gave her pointers, and she was starting to make improvement, when the coach asked me if I had finished the sets. He knew I hadn't and I explained that I was helping my buddy. He said to swim. I told my friend what to practice on her own and we would work some more when we can get a chance.

I really wish that if the coach does not want to help the less experienced swimmers, he would let those of us who like to teach, do it. It was during my own workout time, and I did not mind - I enjoyed helping my friend.

Don't know what to do about a coach that is always there at 4:45 am, but only pays attention to those who are fast, especially young and fast. He ingores those who he does not see potential in, and wants to make racers out of everyone, no matter what their own personal goals. He yells at us like we are 16 years old, if we decide to do something different than what he has assigned. Many of my good friends have left him and swim with another team. The pool and time work for me, so I stick with it, but am becoming more and more unhappy. Hard to get a good coach for a 5 am practice.

P.S. (this coach is NOT with MOST who I have listed as my team. I workout with MOST on Saturdays, the coach I practice with during the week and the coach I am referring to is with another team)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Friday and it is cold

by , January 8th, 2010 at 07:30 PM (My Passion)
    5 am practice at 26 degrees in south texas - brrrrrr.

dove in with fins and did:
    2000 - like this:
    500 free - fast
    500 free up/ back back
    500 free up/ fly back
    500 free up/ breast back
    25 yd sprints in im order until we had done 4 complete ims
    100 kick

good workout, skipping practice tomorrow- 16 degrees is posted - I have worked out for 7 days straight and the real reason for skipping practice - staying in my warm bed.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Thursday and the Front has arrived

by , January 7th, 2010 at 07:07 PM (My Passion)
    I woke up at 4:30 and the first thing I thought, was 'got to get to swim practice.' Don't know why, I never swim on Thursday.

Got to the gym right after 5 am. It was 51 on my way to the gym and they just said that by 11 am, it was 36. I could see a flag really blowing from my desk all day.

Got on the stairmill and saw my buddy walk into the gym. She got the stairmill next to mine and for the next 30 minutes, on level 7, I told her about the adventureous cruise I took the week before, the week before Christmas. (that was our plan for today, to make the time go fast, she asked me to save the cruise story for the stairmill). Boy was I breathless. My voice is still hoarse from my latest asthma medication, though since I stopped taking it, it is slowly (very slowly) coming back. With the hoarse voice, it feels like it takes more effort to talk. But the stairmill went fast .

After the stairmill, I walked a steep incline of 15 at 3 miles per hour for 20 minutes then got in a good stretch.

It is cold out there. I covered our 11 Sago palms last evening in anticipation of tonight's low 20's freeze and when I got home from work, all but 1 had to be recovered. Luckly the rocks kept the sheets from blowing away, except for 1 sheet - it is long gone.

Now getting ready to watch the Longhorns stomp Bama!!

Happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wednesday Swimming

by , January 6th, 2010 at 07:38 PM (My Passion)
    Got to pool just before 5 and lead a stretch. Then did:

5 X 200 (alt free and breast every 200 - free on 3:30 and breast with 30 seconds rest)
    5 X 100 free on 1:30
    10 X 50 free on 1:00. Coach wanted 10 SDKs off of wall, I managed 8 once and 7 the rest of the time. My asthmatic condition makes it difficult to hold my breath that long with not a lot of recovery between sets.
    1 X 200 slow kick cool down

Cold front is fixin' to blow in tomorrow early, so I covered 11 Sago Palms with sheets when I got home from work today. Right now I am worried that they will blow off despite the rocks I weighed the sheets down with. Kind of looking forward to a little cool (ok cold) weather. It kills the bugs and it is fun to wrap up in sweats.
    Friday practice will happen though they are predicting 19 degrees, however, I will probably stay under my warm covers Saturday morning when they are predicting 21 degrees - I don't have to work and like to stay under the covers once in a while.

Happy Swimming .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday Practice

by , January 4th, 2010 at 07:01 PM (My Passion)
    5 am - 37 degrees - this was the workout:

1 X 100 free (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Fly (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Back (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 100 Breast (swim, kick, pull, swim)
    1 X 250 Free
    5 X 50 - Assigned Free/Back alternating every 50 - did Free/Breast alternating every 50
    5 X 100 - Assigned Free/Fly alternating every 100, did 100 free alternating with 50 fly (shoulders still sore from Saturday's Fly)
    5 X 200 Alternating free/breast every 200
    Assigned 10 X 50 alternating breast/fly, but as the time was running out, I did:
    1 X 50 free
    1 X 50 breast
    1 X 100 free cool down

Good workout for me. Water was comfortable.
    Took my car in for repairs after last week's accident. Now I have a red PT Cruiser, the only thing is that since my garage door opener is part of my car, no door opener this week and it is suppossed to be 18 degrees by Friday. Now I know it is already that cold elsewhere, but I have lived in South Texas for 26 years and am now a wimp when it is below 20 and now I have to get out of my car to open and close the garage.

The good news is that Runner Hubby, who finally went to a swim practice with me on Saturday and complained about how stressed his breathing was and how unbearably cold the water was (nice comfortable swimming temperature water), told me last evening, that he will probably swim with me once a week now. I am flabbergasted as I have been trying to get him to swim with me for the last four years .

Happy Swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. First swim in 2010

by , January 2nd, 2010 at 10:31 AM (My Passion)
    Went to the MOST practice at 6:00 am at UTSA.

This is what we did:

250 warm-up
    200 kick/one-arm fly
    200 free working on 2 beat kick
    8 X 25 stroke count free
    9 X 100 decending free (first 3 on 1:40, second 3 on 1:35, last 3 on 1:30)
    100 free (waiting for others to catch up)
    10 X 25 fly on 55

Brought runner hubby for his first masters work-out. I had told him that the pool was way too warm (he hates cold water) and that some people we knew would be there, and that hardly anyone comes to Saturday practice.

Today, the water was cool at first but great after we warmed-up (translation, way too cold for a runner who hates cold water). He knew two of the swimmers as well as the coach, but the other two he wanted to see did not show. There were 12 people at practice today - usually there are 6 to 7. Yeah - he thinks I am a liar .

At first he said he would not come back, but the more we talk about it, I may be able to get him to swim more(I tell him the conditioning will help his running ).

The workout was real good for me. The 10 25's of fly was the most full stroke fly I have ever done. I was tired and my shoulders are getting a little stiff now, but I did enjoy it. I felt that was a good way to build up my fly endurance.

Tomorrow is a running day - I will probably do 6 miles, and next swim is Monday morning.

Happy swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Last swim of the Year

by , December 30th, 2009 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Alarm went off at 4:35 after a night of deep sleeping with no waking - Nice Sleep

Warmed up with 200 free.
    Donned fins and we all did
    5 X 100 free on 2:00
    20 X 50 alt free/breast on 1:00
    300 cool down

I had facebooked a friend on Tuesday night that if she went to practice, we were ging to Starbucks afterward. She facebooked back that she would go to Starbucks only if I did crunches with her after practice I did not see the post, but she told me about it, so I did crunches with her and the others. I know I will be cussing her out the next few days when my abs start burning

Starbucks was nice and I left for work at 7:15. I got most of the way to work and was on the access road, ready to merge onto I-10. The exit from I-10 came before the entrance. For God only knows why (no cars exiting and a separate lane even if they were) the car in front of me stopped dead . I hit the breaks hard and stopped as well. The car behind be did the same and swerved, but hit me anyway . Meanwhile the jerk who stopped needlessly drove off.

No one was hurt. The girl who hit me was under 21 and handled herself very well. Car will be in shop starting tomorrow and I will have a rental.

If only I hadn't stopped for Starbucks (or hadn't done the crunchies ). Anything that would have put me on a different time table, so I wouldn't have been behind the Stupid, Stopping Jerk .

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday and first day back at work

by , December 28th, 2009 at 05:40 PM (My Passion)
    Got up a 4:30 this morning without the prospect of a nap today. 4:30 is not so bad when I can nap later (or after practice).

This is what we did:

1 X 100 Free swim, kick, pull, swim
    1 X 100 Breast - swim, kick, pull, swim
    5 X 100 Free evens, Breast odds
    5 X 200 Breast pull evens, kick odds
    5 X 100 Free evens, breast odds
    150 free cool down

Always good to be in the pool, even if I have to work later and since hardly anyone was at work, it was not bad at all

Tomorrow is dryland in the gym - considering 45 minutes on the stairmill, but I have all night to change my mind.

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Saturday after Christmas

by , December 26th, 2009 at 02:37 PM (My Passion)
    Alarm went off at 5:35 wakng me from so deep a sleep, that it took me a second or two to figure out what was happening. (I usually wake up and jump out of bed).

Practice started at 6 am and this was the workout:

100 free warm-up
    5 X 100 Fly -Kick- left arm - right arm - full fly each 25
    5 X100 Breast -Kick - 50 br drill (2 kick/pull) - full breast
    5 X 75 Back - Kick - drill- full back (last one was 50 full back)
    5 X 100 Free pull

Afterward we went to two (they are married and my running buddies) of our co-swimmers house, and they made us all breakfast. It was delicious.

Had a great day yesterday. My daughter got me an 'Ugly" suit and a cap to match and I am very excited for my current suit to wear out so I can wear my Ugly!

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Pool set up for LCM today

by , December 23rd, 2009 at 09:24 AM (My Passion)
    Practice at 5 am and pool was suprisingly set up for LCM. Nice change of pace. Stretched and then:

1X500 free warm up
    4X200 free on 3 minutes
    5X100 free
    cool down
    Christmas breakfast with the team

Total of 1800 meters in 30 minutes.

Today I will be attending a memorial service for a 46 year-old divorced dad of two little girls (he was going to have them for Christmas this year) killed in a motorcycle accident Friday evening. A truck pulled out in front of him. He was on a Honda Gold Wing and wearing a helmet. If you ride a motorcycle PLEASE be careful!!!! Other vehicles don't always see you and you have no protection around you if you do get in an accident.
    Those litle girls will always remember that their dad died the week before Christmas - waaaaay too soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 08:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
  13. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 08:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
  14. Last practice for a week

by , December 12th, 2009 at 09:35 AM (My Passion)
    So - Friday was a hard workout. We warmed up with a 100, then did 10 X 200 IMs with 30 seconds rest. The Asthma part of it was hard. My breathing was really taxed, but it was a fun workout. I did an easy 200 cool-down.

Today I swam a 300 warm-up with M.O.S.T. Then we did:
    6X50 free - switch to back, back flip turn, switch back to free 1/2 way down the pool
    6X50 choice - I did free working on some pointers that the coach had given me.
    we then did the 12 days of Christmas - it went like this - starting with 12 laps, then 11, etc.:

300 IM
    275 free pull
    250 free
    225 back
    200 fly
    175 breast
    150 kick (I did breast kick)
    5 Deep Bobs Feet first (We went to the bottom of the pool, got down to a swuat, then pushed up to the top with arms at sides )
    100 reverse IM
    75 sculling
    50 water polo stroke
    25 - no breath
    25 to get to the other end of the pool

A really fun workout - I was able to do almost the whole 75 fly in the IM (my fly is weak) - I did a drill fly during the 200

It was a really fun workout with really fun people and a good way to start the day.

No organized swimming for a week - I'll report why when I return. Until then:

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday Practice with Threat of Snow in South Texas

by , December 4th, 2009 at 06:32 PM (My Passion)
    Only two of us showed up this morning, I'm guessing because they were predicting snow (we ended up with 4 flakes all day).

We were kind of playing around, so we did 100 elementary backstroke, and then 100 of underwater SDK's with fins to warm-up (it was actually a cold slow way to warm up) . Then we did:

5X100 on 1:45
    10 X 50 on 1:20
    20 X 25 on :45

Then a 'total relaxation' cool down, by floating on our backs.

Just a fun swim on a cold morning.

Tomorrow, it is a 6:00 swim and then a run in high 20 degree weather. Hoping my buddies will think it is too cold to run (they probably won't - they are crazy, but Ilove them ).

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Mid week practice

by , December 2nd, 2009 at 06:07 PM (My Passion)
    Today started off with 5 X 2:00 kicks while holding the wall - blah - kicking like this is painfull

Then we proceded with
    1X200 free
    5X100 free sprints (I missed one set whil huffing my inhailer)
    1X200 Free
    10 X 50 alternating free and breast sprints
    1X200 free cool down

low yardage today, but high speed made it feel like more.

Tonight I go for a sleep study to see why I am always tired lately. I have cut way down on my workouts (except for swimmong) and I sleep anytime I can. Mr. Swim4me says he does not hear my breathing stop at night, but I do snore enough for him to have to wear earplugs when he can't wake me up enough for me to stop snoring. I'm a little anxious about the experience, but as tired as I am right now, sleeping should still not be a problem, even with all those wires hooked up to me.

Happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Monday Practice

by , November 30th, 2009 at 06:37 PM (My Passion)
    Today we did a quick stretch then donned our fins and did the following:

1X500 free up, 3-3-3 fly back
    20 chin ups on backstroke bar
    1X500 free up, back back
    1X500 free up breast with dolphin kick back
    1X500 free

We then took off fins and worked on flip turns with SDK's. These sound more fun than they were. We all started in lane 1 by the lane line. Then, with no momentum, we flipped and dolphin kicked underwater as far as we could go. I made it to lane 6 once, but it was usually lane 5 or 4. I think if I could have had a swimming start, that I could have gone further.

Cold, wet, weather (40 & 50 degrees) has moved into South Texas. Here, below 60 is cold. I know, I know, we are wimps. I have lived in other parts of the country and have shoveled my share of snow and scraped my share of ice, but I have lived here 26 years now and even I am now a cold weather wimp now

Happy Swimming
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Last weekend before back to work

by , November 29th, 2009 at 05:40 PM (My Passion)
    OK, OK, I was a bad girl and did not workout Thursday and Friday like I had planned, but I did get up early on.......

Saturday, I set my alarm for 5:30 (still on vacation from work, mind you), and was in the pool by 6:00 - here is the workout -

300 free warm-up
    75 X 4 free -kick/stroke drill
    75 X 6 Free/Back drill
    1 X 50 Free/Back drill
    10 X 50 Free on 45
    9 X 50 descending 2 seconds every 50 (one breast, the rest free)
    50 - free cool down

Coffee with team mates and coach, then Christmas decorating with Hubby rest of the day.

Then, like a good little athlete, I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning. Met the running buddies at 7:00 and did what started out to be a 4 mile run. At 2 miles, when I was ready to turn around, one of them talked me into running 5 - which would be turning around in another 1/2 mile. Like a dummy, I said yes. Then, when we got to the extra 1/2 mile point, another of them talked me into walking a little further until we met up with his wife, who had started out earlier and should be on her way back real soon. But after we started walking, he said 'why aren't we running', I started running with them again and then accused them both of psychological warfare . At the 3 mile mark, we found the long lost wife and I ran back with her. 6 miles total today, on a day I was hoping it would rain and I could get out of it . I have a bike/run duathalon in two weeks, so maybe this was good for me after all.

I am very much looking forward to my swim tomorrow morning, but not as much the getting up at 4:30 to do it . Happy Swimming
  19. Tuesday's and Wednesday's Workouts

by , November 25th, 2009 at 08:32 PM (My Passion)
    Tuesday , I joined the 11:30 - 12:30 group practice. The coach was out of town, so we made up our own workout. It was a ladder, freestyle stokes with bouy on the odds and choice on evens. This is what I did:

325 - free style pull
    300 - breast stroke
    275 - free style pull
    250 - breast stroke
    225 - free style pull
    200 - breast stroke
    175 - free style pull
    150 - breast stroke
    125 - free style pull
    100 - breast stroke
    75 - free style pull
    50 - breast stroke
    50 - breast kick

Today was an easy practice before Thanksgiving:
    5X200 breast
    5X100 breast kick with streamlined arms
    2X100 breast sprint
    1X200 breast kick with kickboard - then off to Starbucks with the team

I have an appointment on Friday around noon and there is no morning practice, so my next swim will be Saturday morning with my other team. Looking forward to swimming with them after missing last week due to the meet.

I am thinking about running and biking tomorrow and Friday - let's see if my 'thinking' turns into 'doing'. I have a 3.5 - 25 - 3.5 run-bike-run duathalon on the 12th, so need to be in that kind of shape for that kind of event and my good intentions have gone all to H***.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Swimming and Nitrous Oxide

by , November 23rd, 2009 at 07:24 PM (My Passion)
    Got up at 4:30 on a day that I do not have to work (do I love swimming, or am I just crazy). Got to pool and led a quick Yoga session. Then started workout. I was still a little sore from yesterday, so I made it a point to swim an easy workout.

1X200 free
    5X100 on 2 minutes - (coach wanted a 6 beat kick, but try as I may, my kick does not go that fast)
    10X50 with fists (and shoes, but I am under shoe protest and refuse to participate in the shoe wearing while swimming)
    1X200 free
    16 X 25 hypoxic 1:9 on 1 minute. (even with my asthma, I found this very duable )
    1X50 head-up with kickboard cool down

Tomorrow, I will swim with the 11:30 team and sleep in.

After practice, I went to the dentist to fix an erosion problem on my bottom jaw. He fixed the left side two weeks ago and I was dreading this. Not because of the drill, but because of the shot in my mouth and the choking feeling the whole time he was working. While lamenting to my husband about this yesterday, he suggested I ask for laughing gas.

The laughing gas was wonderful. One time I felt the drill hit the pulp, but the work was done without anesthia . I don't remember much of it, like the light that makes the resin hard. I started coming around when he was asking me to tap, so he would know where to file down. I was not numb for three hours afterward, and left very happy. Highly recommend nitrous oxide .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast