View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Dryland Thursday

by , January 21st, 2010 at 06:53 PM (My Passion)
    Today my buddy and I took a break from the stairmill (she had the same experience on Wednesday that I had on Tuesday). So we decided to do a machine that is like an elipse, however it has arm work and it also moves in a stair motion as well as an elipse motion. 45 minutes. Good workout, good cardio, good conversation, and no heat sicknes. Tomorrow is swimming!!
  2. Overheated at the gym

by , January 19th, 2010 at 07:37 PM (My Passion)
    Got to gym at 5 am and it felt warm, but I went to my locker and put my stuff up, saw my workout buddy come in as I started out to the floor. Started stairmill at level 7 (in the past I have done level 10 for 45 minutes) for 35 minutes. My buddy got there as I was setting it up and we have been agreeing on 35 minutes lately,

We were climbing and talking and it was hot. I kept drinking, but started to feel nauseous, At 15 minutes in, I lowered the level to 4 (way low for me). I was still feeling bad, but kept going. My friend said she could see the beads of sweat on my legs and I had wiped my face several times.

I got off right at 35 minutes (I usually climb real slow to cool down) and sat down on another machine. After a while, I got up and wiped down my machine, told my friend I was just going to stretch and walked slowly to my favorite stretch area. A guy I sometimes work out with was stretching there and I talked to him as I stretched. I started feeling much better after about 20 minutes. To think I got that overheated in the middle of winter!

This week we have been in the high 60's and low 70's, but to get that overheated in an indoor gym, No Fun! Glad tomorrow is a swimming day!
  3. Tuesday Dryland

by , January 5th, 2010 at 07:29 PM (My Passion)
    Was suppossed to meet workout buddy for the stairmill this morning. I was read to go at 5:10 am - she was nowhere in sight. I set the mill at level 7 for 35 minutes to give her a chance to get there. She never showed.

Stairmill felt good at level 7. Not near the fatigue I felt last week. After the stairmill and a cooldown on it at level 1, I did the ARC for 20 minutes, then got a real good stretch in for another 20 minutes.

Good workout and felt good all day. Buddy emailed me that she slept through her alarm today. That is always a hazard with these very early morning workouts. We are back on again for Thursday. Swimming tomorrow.

Happy Swimming
  4. First Run of 2010

by , January 3rd, 2010 at 12:21 PM (My Passion)
    Today we met in Helotes at 7:30. I got there first, followed by Kelly who said that Mary thought she may have strep and wouldn't joins us today. Ernie and Kathy showed up next, followed by Bob and then Dennis and Sophie.

Kathy, Bob and I were going to run between 5 and 6, while everyone else wanted to do between 10 and 12 miles. (I don't like running enough to run that much any more).

The weather was 45 and overcast. We ran 5.7 miles. It was a good run.

I took a hot bath when I got home and now am ready for the day.

Happy Swimming.
  5. Dry Land at 5:30 am

by , December 31st, 2009 at 03:53 PM (My Passion)
    Slept in today (for me), got up at 5:10 am and in the gym around 5:35. Did 30 minutes of stairmill at level 7 (still trying to work back up to level 10). Heart Rate maxed at 157 (It is often much higher), but for some reason, I felt nauseous - badly nauseous at around 25 minutes. I completed the last few minutes leaning on the rails - which I never do. When it was over, I sat down and put my head down by my knees.

After a few minutes, felt better and got a good stretch in. Worked 5 hours, then stopped by auto repair shop for estimate and parts to order so they would be ready Monday morning. Rental car was approved by the 'at fault' party's insurance. Then to grocery store for some goodies for tonight.

Just Hubby and me tonight - and lots of goodies and some movies until the ball drops!

Happy New Year
    and
    Happy Swimming
  6. Tuesday Dryland

by , December 29th, 2009 at 06:54 PM (My Passion)
    Well, I decided that the Stair Mill would be too hard-core for my tired body, so I did 45 minutes of the elipse and then stretched. Still sore from the 5 * miles on Sunday.

We had a cold rain all day today, but tomorrow should be in the low 60's and sunny, so maybe a walk after work tomorrow.

Since tomorrow will be the last swim of the year for me, a few of us will go to Starbucks before work. Gives us a chance to chat and have some dry fun!!

Happy Swimming
  7. Sunday morning

by , December 27th, 2009 at 12:30 PM (My Passion)
    Today is a sunny, cool 35 degrees. I did not want to run today (I NEVER want to run), but I like to be with my friends, so we planned on a meeting place about 2 miles from my house. I took the dog since she was so excited as I filled up my water bottle (I also brought her leash, but did not plan to use it).

As I neared the waiting place, I saw two people, I thought one was Ernie, but the other was too tall for who I was expecting to see. It turned out to be Bob, on of our swimming buddies. Kathy and Kara and run the other direction looking for Bob, but he had driven to the meeting spot since he is building up his mileage.

I introduced Kara and Bob to Samantha the dog, who by the way did very well without her leash.

We ran 3 miles to the end of the road and turned around. It was another .5 mile to my neighborhood. Kathy and Ernie refilled their water bottle at my house and the rest of them took of again.

5.5 miles is a good amount for me to build back up my distance. It was a beautiful day, with good friends and a good dog. I took a hot bath upon returning and am feeling real good right now.

Running buddies are how I keep up some of my cross-training. I HATE to run, but my friends are so fun to run with, I forget that I am running. The dog is also a good running buddy. She has stuck close to me all morning because of the run (I think she is in love with me again )

Happy Swimming
  8. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 09:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
  9. Back from vacation and back in the POOL

by , December 21st, 2009 at 09:30 AM (My Passion)
    This morning - I got up at 4:30 on a day I am off of work and this was the workout:
    200 free
    3 X 100 free/fly/free/fly switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 100 free/back/free/back switching every other 1/2 length
    3 X 100 free/breast/free/breast switching every other 1/2 length
    10 X 50 free pull on 1:00
    10 X 50 free/kick/free/kick switching every other 1/2 length
    4 X 24 free sprint
    500 free cool down with fins

Yesterday we got back from a week-long cruise to the Carribean. On the drive down to Galveston, we had a tire blow-out in the fast lane. We got to the side put on the donut and after several tries, found a place open that had the tire we needed in stock (this on a Sunday morning). We got to the port 1 hour after we had planned, then entered from the wrong side of the port and waited in traffic another 1 hour. If we had gone the other way, there would have been no line. The ship was suppossed to leave at 5:30, but we did not board until 5:30 and there were 1 - 200 people behind us.

By the time everyone was boarded, fog had setteled in. It stayed almost all day on Monday and the cruise line offered people to get off by 11 pm and get a full credit for this cruise and a voucher for a future cruise. We did not take it as we had a friend with us and we all decided to make lemons out of lemon-aid. Over 840 people did get off of the boat. We were able to leave on Tuesday morning, but could not make the Honduras stop. My family had been to Honduras before, so we were ok with that.

I worked out on Monday, Ice Skated on Tuesday, (skipped working out on Wednesday, but always took the stairs the whole cruise, so I think that is ok). Thursday we biked and kayaked in Costa Maya. We were suppossed to snorkle on Friday in Cozumel, but the water was too rough, so we went to a beach instead. (walked around, not really a workout). Saturday I climbed halfway up the rock wall, roller-bladed, played miniture golf and ping-pong.

Not my usual work-out week, but lots of fun and a great get away. Now I have to finish my Christmas shopping and get ready to host Christmas dinner.
  10. Thursday Workout

by , December 10th, 2009 at 08:17 PM (My Passion)
    Got to Gym at 5 am. Got ready and set the stair mnill for 30 minutes at level 7 (trying to work back up to 10). A girl I know from the gym got on the one next to mine and after a while, we started talking about Tiger and that the news won't leave him alone - then on to other topics and before I knew it the 40 min was up. We made a pact to 'stair mill' together at least once a week next year. I am really looking forward it. Afterward, I did 30 minutes of weights and then a good stretch. Then got my H1N1 shot - first time it was available for us at work, then a long, busy, day at work - I am beat. Need to pack and get ready for my swim tomorrow - I can't wait!
  11. Last weekend before back to work

by , November 29th, 2009 at 06:40 PM (My Passion)
    OK, OK, I was a bad girl and did not workout Thursday and Friday like I had planned, but I did get up early on.......

Saturday, I set my alarm for 5:30 (still on vacation from work, mind you), and was in the pool by 6:00 - here is the workout -

300 free warm-up
    75 X 4 free -kick/stroke drill
    75 X 6 Free/Back drill
    1 X 50 Free/Back drill
    10 X 50 Free on 45
    9 X 50 descending 2 seconds every 50 (one breast, the rest free)
    50 - free cool down

Coffee with team mates and coach, then Christmas decorating with Hubby rest of the day.

Then, like a good little athlete, I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning. Met the running buddies at 7:00 and did what started out to be a 4 mile run. At 2 miles, when I was ready to turn around, one of them talked me into running 5 - which would be turning around in another 1/2 mile. Like a dummy, I said yes. Then, when we got to the extra 1/2 mile point, another of them talked me into walking a little further until we met up with his wife, who had started out earlier and should be on her way back real soon. But after we started walking, he said 'why aren't we running', I started running with them again and then accused them both of psychological warfare . At the 3 mile mark, we found the long lost wife and I ran back with her. 6 miles total today, on a day I was hoping it would rain and I could get out of it . I have a bike/run duathalon in two weeks, so maybe this was good for me after all.

I am very much looking forward to my swim tomorrow morning, but not as much the getting up at 4:30 to do it . Happy Swimming
  12. Humid, Humid Running

by , November 15th, 2009 at 07:06 PM (My Passion)
    Got up at 6:30 to run with buddies. Hubby got up at 4:30 - he got up before his alarm and I heard the shower running. His Garmin 405 was not working right and he told me, so I told him to take my 305. I fell back asleep until my alarm went off. (I did not watch him run since the SA course is not spectator friendly. He was also only running half since his sciatic nerve has been acting up).

I got the meeting place just before 7 am. Kelly got there shortly after. Ernie and Kathy pulled up shortly after that. We started talking and got off to a slow start. The humidity was stifling. We mostly talked about how glad we were that we did not sign up for the marathon this year . In fact, this was the first year that hubby ran without me and I did not feel bad about not running. I was actually happy for the runners and happy for me too!

I decided to turn around at 2.5 miles, since my asthma was really bad as the air was so wet and I could not breathe easily - it was about 65 degrees, but with 90% humidity it does not matter, it just feels hot!!!! I told then to go on and I'd meet them at the end, but Kathy turned around with me and we had a good, hot, humid run back.

Kelly and Ernie only went another half mile or so, and since Kathy and I were running slowly, the caught up right after we started cooling down.

We made plans for our next get together, probably the week after Thanksgiving since I have a meet next weekend.

Now to complete my meet application...... Oh yeah - Hubby completed the 1/2 marathon in 1:37 and was able to get his Garmen to work afterall. He was pretty happy considering the conditions. The humidity was awful and a lot of runners were not running the race that they were hoping
  13. 2nd Blog - I'm on a roll...

by , November 12th, 2009 at 08:56 PM (My Passion)
    Swimming is my love and passion. As soon as daughter is out of college, and I am able, I am planning on retiring and working with swimmers, coaching, teaching, as long as I am with water and swimming and people who love it as much as I do.

Fort asked me to mention that I am an FAF Evilstroker. To elaborate, I love breast stroke. I had the league record on my summer league in California at 16. The stroke has changed a lot in the 25 years that I did not swim, but I still love it and think I have gotten the new style down.

I still love sprints, but this summer's open water exploration has stirred something in me. The best part was the swim from Alcatraz which I was a little aprehensive about doing. However, after coming in 4th in my age group out of 32 (without even trying, I stopped several times to enjoy the view!) and 16 out of all women swimming it and 81 out of men and women swimming with wetsuits - out of around 455 ish - I was more than pleased with the swim - my goal was to not finish 600 out of 600 . I think I will make it an annual event!

The results from Saturday's 5K were posted. I was not real worried about a good time, just did it for fun, so I went to swim practice at 6:00 am first. The race started at 9:30. It was very warm and very humid. I ended up walking up 3 small hills, and still posted a time of 29.18, not too bad for a old lady non-runner who was not prepared.

Thursday is a non-swim day , and since I believe I am over my 'time change' tiredness, got up this morning at 4:45 (decided to sleep an extra 15 minutes). Got to the gym about 5:10 and on the stairmill at 5:15. Did 30 minutes at level 8. Heart rate got to 157. I have been able in the past to stay on level 10 for 45 minutes, but I am working back to that after not going to the gym for abut a month.

After stairmill I did weights--high weights, low reps (I did not remember the number of weights, but guys come behind me and lift with lower weights). I did a lat press down, a leg press, a bicep machine and a tricep machine (it has been a while since I have lifted and I did not note the machine names). After that did an easy stretch and hit the shower.

Out of the shower at 6:30 and at my desk upstairs at 6:50 (when I braid my hair, no need to dry it) Busy day at work, no lunch break - ate at my desk and left at 4:15. Glad to end the day - not a bad day, just extremely busy - lots of meetings and lots of assignments.

Hiked with the dog again, two steep hills on 1.5 mile walk (short, but really get HR up ). Right now I am really glad to have done an after-work work-out two days in a row. Today I was thinking about maybe stepping it up and running next week - we'll see.

Lookinf forward to swimming tomorrow!!

Updated November 13th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by swim4me

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts