Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    This meet was kind of a last-minute decision anyway, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it was annoying to drive 25 minutes out and back for nothing! I'm a bit nervous about racing long course, short course appears to have become my jam at the moment.
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Thank you sir! You had a good meet too! I watched most of your races, but between there being 2400 people there and everybody looking different in a cap and goggles than otherwise, I didn't really know how to go about finding you or any other forum denizens or random people I knew from the small world of swimming.
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Exactly. I was a 400 IMer in college and it just wasn't worth the loss of air to do it. Now I feel like I'll be putting myself at a big disadvantage in the 100 IM if I don't do it, and I'll need every advantage I can get against some of these DI sprinters only a year or so removed from college in the 25-29 age group!
    This reminds me to work on my crossover turn...I haven't practiced it in a few years. I think it's only useful for me in the 100 IM and that's about it. Takes away too much air in the 200 and 400.
    Looking forward to hearing how you do, especially that 100 Br under :60. GOOD LUCK.
    Lots of nice racing! Good work. 'looking forward to reading about your swims at Nats.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    I lift at a CrossFit gym although I don't CrossFit. But I recognize your Friday AM workout as what the CrossFitters were doing at my gym on Friday too.
    Yep, it's the CrossFit Open. Worldwide open qualifier for the Games series. I'm under no delusion that I will make it but usually gyms get together and have everybody do it for fun.
    I lift at a CrossFit gym although I don't CrossFit. But I recognize your Friday AM workout as what the CrossFitters were doing at my gym on Friday too.
    Love the Caribbean. Try to go every summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Two pieces of good news here....
    1. Your times are still really amazing!
    2. You've recognized some of the problems you're experiencing while in practice and not in a race. That's awesome because now you have the insight and time to tweak for when you do a real race. Nice work!
    Thanks! Like I wrote, I am pretty happy with the times, they honestly aren't far off what I'd do in a lactate set of 50s in college. But I have a lot to clean up and not a whole lot of training time or interactive coaching to do it with. I think I may start doing an off-the-blocks swim at the end of practice once a week, just to try to get the racing bugs out.
    Two pieces of good news here....
    1. Your times are still really amazing!
    2. You've recognized some of the problems you're experiencing while in practice and not in a race. That's awesome because now you have the insight and time to tweak for when you do a real race. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    60 reps of 50lb DB snatches? Or 2 sets of 30
    Ive never done crossfit due to being injury prone but killer workout man

I read the best plyometric exercise is supposed to be just vertical drops ( 1 -3)rebounding AFAP with a max vertical jump
    It was a team workout so we switched off each set - I did 10-10-10 on the way up and 10-20-10 on the way down because the wife was getting tired. 50# DB snatch is pretty easy for me overall. 70# starts to get challenging to string together.

And yeah, depth jumps (what I call those) are a great plyo. I'm naturally bouncy so I love doing jumping stuff of all types.
    60 reps of 50lb DB snatches? Or 2 sets of 30
    Ive never done crossfit due to being injury prone but killer workout man

I read the best plyometric exercise is supposed to be just vertical drops ( 1 -3)rebounding AFAP with a max vertical jump
    No, I get what you're saying, there's a healthy area and then there's .... a little obsession. I guess they have a healthier obsession, than some other kinds tho!!

I think your blog encouraged me - I just finished a quick upper body workout. Not CF by any means (and I am sadly long past my own athletic prime), but, it's always a good kind of tired. Thanks!

Congratulations on your marriage! It's a major milestone and there seems to be no avoiding some degree of "relaxing," just keep it time-limited. Hopefully as your family grows, your "team" will, too. I enjoy doing workout when I can coax my DH to join in, or going out walking when we have a family gathering. There are ways to make it less inevitable. (Okay, now *I* will exit the soapbox haha)
    Quote Originally Posted by f1refl1es!
    I came close but never caught the CrossFit bug, myself, tho I admire those who can keep up with it. It's really true for me, at least, at my stage (beginner) that swimming is a little bit addictive. I find there is always some thing to work on, to tweak, to improve, to practice, and I really enjoy being in the water. Good luck with your event this weekend!
    Thanks!

I've been doing it in some form for almost 6 years now... was really into it for a bit, it kind of filled the hole that swimming had when I needed a break after college, then got into Olympic weightlifting, then back into CF. It's like swimming in that there's always something to work on.

I think part of my CF fatigue is perspective. I swam in college, we got a couple NCAA trophies as a team. That was my athletic peak, and I'm aware of that and OK with it. I want to forestall the inevitable decline as much as I can, but I know it's there and it's not THAT far off (I'll be 29 next week, and got married a few weeks ago so I can see kiddos on the horizon). A lot of the gung-ho CF people act like they're on a mission to be some high level athlete and they're just going to beat their head against a wall trying to get to this mystical "elite" level and get there just by force of will and whatever magic orthorexic diet and supplement plan they've started worshipping, meanwhile they are marveling that I can do something simple like jump on a box and land without looking like a baby deer. I don't know if frustration with that is realism or cynicism, some combination of both or something else entirely.

Well, that got a little soap-boxy. I'll climb down now.
    I came close but never caught the CrossFit bug, myself, tho I admire those who can keep up with it. It's really true for me, at least, at my stage (beginner) that swimming is a little bit addictive. I find there is always some thing to work on, to tweak, to improve, to practice, and I really enjoy being in the water. Good luck with your event this weekend!
    Congratulations and best wishes for your future together.
    Nice IM times Jeff. Hate Br groin pulls. I had a really bad one about 10 years back and it still lingers in my mind. I "listen" very closely to those muscles trying not ever have it happen again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast