Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I ought to buy a chute - I think the Finis was what I used this morning.
    mine cost me I think 70.00. A worthwhile investment because it seems well made. My only complaint about it is that if you are doing any setting other than full open or full closed, you have to be sure to line the zippers up perfectly otherwise the chute can "fish tail" while in use...which is a whole new level of drag I am not interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I just bought a Finis drag+fly chute to use on my "power" days/workouts. It is my cheaper substitution for a power tower, since we don't have one at the LRRC.
    I ought to buy a chute - I think the Finis was what I used this morning.
    I just bought a Finis drag+fly chute to use on my "power" days/workouts. It is my cheaper substitution for a power tower, since we don't have one at the LRRC.
    I loved station workouts. Coach Kyle used to right some positively amazing station workouts when I was still swimming with the Dolphins. Except for one set. At least once a month, stations would include the following set:

4x75 @ 2:30 UW FL kick
    2 air squats at start wall, climb out at each subsequent wall and do: 4, 6, 8 air squats.

basically 2 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 4 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 6 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 8 squats all on 2:30. Which seems like a lot of rest for a 75...but it isn't. Not when you have to climb out and squat and you are UW kicking.
    That sounds... devious. But probably effective if you can do it right!

I hadn't done buckets or chutes since... well, probably since afternoon practices at UALR when I was there.
    I loved station workouts. Coach Kyle used to right some positively amazing station workouts when I was still swimming with the Dolphins. Except for one set. At least once a month, stations would include the following set:

4x75 @ 2:30 UW FL kick
    2 air squats at start wall, climb out at each subsequent wall and do: 4, 6, 8 air squats.

basically 2 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 4 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 6 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 8 squats all on 2:30. Which seems like a lot of rest for a 75...but it isn't. Not when you have to climb out and squat and you are UW kicking.
    Showin' some serious speed there! Nice
    Super fast swims Jeff. Glad that your training is realizing some great swims at this point in the season for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Ha, I did that drive with you and Matt once! A lot easier from where I am, little less than 2 hours per the Googs. I did check and see if it was SCY or LCM, no way would I even consider it LCM. Would be fun to swim at Mizzou again, a good chunk of my PRs are still in that pool.

Have to decide quickly though, looks like the only meet still available for the club team my masters group is attached to that I could qualify at is Ozark Senior Champs last weekend of January and the entry deadline is... tomorrow. On the plus side, it is in a brand-spanking-new high school pool literally 10 minutes from my house.
    THATíS RIGHT! Forgot we all carpooled together. You could always just deck enter. I usually do that with the smaller local meets here. That way Iím not out the money if I canít make the meet. Yeah I pay like a 5.00 premium to enter events if I deck enter, but Iím usually only dropping in for one event (because I normally do deck entry if I know my weekend will be busy and my schedule might be in flux, as opposed to when I enter ahead of time and have cleared my calendar for the meet).
    Ha, I did that drive with you and Matt once! A lot easier from where I am, little less than 2 hours per the Googs. I did check and see if it was SCY or LCM, no way would I even consider it LCM. Would be fun to swim at Mizzou again, a good chunk of my PRs are still in that pool.

Have to decide quickly though, looks like the only meet still available for the club team my masters group is attached to that I could qualify at is Ozark Senior Champs last weekend of January and the entry deadline is... tomorrow. On the plus side, it is in a brand-spanking-new high school pool literally 10 minutes from my house.
    Fairly certain Central Sectionals is LCM this year, Jeff.

NEVERMIND! Just checked and it was changed to SCY. There were on this program where spring sectionals was LCM for the 2 cycles before an Olympics. Guess they changed it (again).

I should add: I actually qualified myself as well, but Columbia is a LONG haul (and a VERY boring drive) so I am going to pass this time (but qualifying times are good for 2 years so I can always go another time!).
    I know I did a 12 days of Christmas when I used to CrossFit. I had to dig around in the blog to find it (12/24/2012...coincidently the last time Christmas Eve was on a Monday!)
    I've done it a few different ways - I think each gym has their own more or less, not sure if there is an "official" one. They are all tough in some way, it's just a lot of reps to do.
    I know I did a 12 days of Christmas when I used to CrossFit. I had to dig around in the blog to find it (12/24/2012...coincidently the last time Christmas Eve was on a Monday!)

ďThe Nightmare before Christmas"

The following is done just like the "12 Days of Christmas" song, start at 1, then do 1 and 2, then 1 and 2 and 3, etc.

For time:

1 knees to bar
    2 tire jumps
    3 clean + squat (75 lbs)
    4 clean + press (75 lbs)
    5 dips
    6 goblet squats (45 lb kettle bell)
    7 flutter kicks (on each leg)
    8 kettle bell swings (45 lb bell)
    9 hand stand push-ups
    10 heel clicks (think Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz)
    11 pull-ups
    12 dumbbell clean + press (25 lb dumbbell 1 arm at a time)

Results: 39:59
    we want to know about your workouts, not your plumbing!
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    This meet was kind of a last-minute decision anyway, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it was annoying to drive 25 minutes out and back for nothing! I'm a bit nervous about racing long course, short course appears to have become my jam at the moment.
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Thank you sir! You had a good meet too! I watched most of your races, but between there being 2400 people there and everybody looking different in a cap and goggles than otherwise, I didn't really know how to go about finding you or any other forum denizens or random people I knew from the small world of swimming.
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Exactly. I was a 400 IMer in college and it just wasn't worth the loss of air to do it. Now I feel like I'll be putting myself at a big disadvantage in the 100 IM if I don't do it, and I'll need every advantage I can get against some of these DI sprinters only a year or so removed from college in the 25-29 age group!
    This reminds me to work on my crossover turn...I haven't practiced it in a few years. I think it's only useful for me in the 100 IM and that's about it. Takes away too much air in the 200 and 400.
    Looking forward to hearing how you do, especially that 100 Br under :60. GOOD LUCK.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast