Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    What was the swim part of the tri like?
    Just a serpentine pool swim. Nothing special. And super short so I didn't get any advantage!
    What was the swim part of the tri like?
    I know, isn't that crazy! I was 10th in the rankings until the list came out, looks like one guy entered his 50 split from his 100 breast in late. That was the event I scratched A finals at Sectionals on Sunday too!

I got my goal though, I got at least one Top Ten in each discipline.
    Jeff,

I had to laugh. Just saw the preliminary Top Ten for SCY. Who would have thought a 26.7 50 BR wouldn't make it? Looks like you were first man out :/

I guess that 25-29 buzzsaw has aged up. Glad I am getting the hell out of that age group come January!
    Chris Stevenson said his coach had him swim 50 LC nbís on 1:00!
    For me, 5- 10 x 1breath 25mís on 0:30 i call lung busters
    Same coach used to have us do 50s on 1:15 swim NB or on 1:30 underwater kick/pullouts no breath (4 at a time).

These days the closest I come to that is my Rouse 100s, which is (starting at 15M mark) a 15M underwater FL kick, into a flip turn, into a 50M cruise kick on back, into a flip turn, into 35M underwater FL kick back to the original start point. Done with fins, I usually do them on 2:30. Iíve done them on as fast as 1:45 years ago. 2:30 is ample recovery time because it usually takes about 1:25 to complete the full 100 meters.

EDIT: by same coach I mean same coach who had me doing the lungbusters in my previous post, NOT Chris Stevensonís coach!
    Chris Stevenson said his coach had him swim 50 LC nbís on 1:00!
    For me, 5- 10 x 1breath 25mís on 0:30 i call lung busters
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    No, what they were was underwater to a random black line on the bottom, flip turn in space, underwater back. So it was trying to work on lungs (hence the name) and also accelerating from no push off. It was longer than 25 but mine were really sloppy so I just called it 25 :P
    Amazing how coaches use the same terminology for different things. Lung busters for us were always long (usually pull) sets where you breathed on the first stroke, then every 2, then 3, then 4, so on until you failed, then you started over again. My coach in high school used to love throwing out 6x400 pull LCM lungbusters. The turn counted for 2 strokes.
    Were the lungbusters done has 25nbís?
    No, what they were was underwater to a random black line on the bottom, flip turn in space, underwater back. So it was trying to work on lungs (hence the name) and also accelerating from no push off. It was longer than 25 but mine were really sloppy so I just called it 25 :P
    Were the lungbusters done has 25nbís?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    My lungs scream at me during ALL pullouts; first one, last one, middle one, in shape, out of shape, ten years ago, 5 weeks ago, yesterday, today, tomorrow, and 15 years from now.

Singular hardest part of the 200M BR? The final (4th) pullout.
    #TruFax
    I'm usually OK for the first 3. The last one in the 100 short course is tough but at that point I'm just hanging on for dear life anyway.
    My lungs scream at me during ALL pullouts; first one, last one, middle one, in shape, out of shape, ten years ago, 5 weeks ago, yesterday, today, tomorrow, and 15 years from now.

Singular hardest part of the 200M BR? The final (4th) pullout.
    #TruFax
    If you are hungry...

Ha! Supposed to eat fat-controlled for a couple weeks to keep my pancreas calm. So... big bowl of oatmeal and protein shake it is for the morning!
    If you are hungry...

Ouch, that's horrible! I hate not being able to work out.

Can you at least walk? I remember after I had a medical procedure they told me to lay off for a few days, but it was OK to walk the dog...so I did that.
    Be sure to shower before entering the pool. We donít need that mothball smell washing off in the pool, thank you very much.

But feel better first!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What's a "4/6/2" turn?
    From what I understand - 4 dolphin kicks into 6 flutter kicks into 2 strokes before breath.
    4/6/2 turns, every warm-up, then every "non-main set" set, then when you are swimming at full speed. That's how I fixed my walls!
    What's a "4/6/2" turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC910
    I did 200/500/1000 FR and 200 BR in college. I'm trying to fashion myself into 100FR and 100IM... the thought of racing for more than a minute seems impossible! Maybe in 2020.
    I tell the kids in the National group I train with occasionally that I'm still a 400 IMer, I just choose to swim all four hundreds seperately :P
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Well, I was a 200 backstroker (and 400 IMer) in college, so... it's there somewhere. But I did the 200 free and 200 back at Masters Nats last year and I definitely landed a piano on my back the last 50 of both of those. Really have to work on strategizing since I have much more muscle to go into oxygen debt now than I did back then...
    I did 200/500/1000 FR and 200 BR in college. I'm trying to fashion myself into 100FR and 100IM... the thought of racing for more than a minute seems impossible! Maybe in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC910
    Good for you for even considering 200's! As I've posted elsewhere I am just.... barely... getting back in shape after a long layoff. I emailed the meet registrar for Mesa last night to make 200FR my 6th event as I not remotely in shape for a 200!

I do think in SCY and at the age I am now (36), walls, turns, starts etc are lower hanging fruit than simply being in insanely great shape and able to just muscle through.
    Well, I was a 200 backstroker (and 400 IMer) in college, so... it's there somewhere. But I did the 200 free and 200 back at Masters Nats last year and I definitely landed a piano on my back the last 50 of both of those. Really have to work on strategizing since I have much more muscle to go into oxygen debt now than I did back then...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast