Blog Comments

Thanks! I agree - it is such a beast. And it was always the kind of event where you dove in and instantly knew if you were going to feel good or bad.
    Thanks! What are you planning to swim? Where's the meet?
    I was on a polo club for Kutztown University. It is just a Div II school no athletic scholarships, and many sports were clubs (they did have a proper men's swim team then). Most of the sports/clubs competed in I think the PSEC league; basically the various Pennsylvania State Universities. Our main competitor for most sports was Millersville. IUP was about twice the size of Kutztown, but they were still in the same league.
    The main reason I went to Kutztown was the cost--$1500/semester, most of which was paid for by a state veteran grant (nearly made money factoring in GI Bill). Plus it was close to home, yet a bit too far to commute. I really enjoyed my time there.
    Yes! IUP is close by. I didn't even think of that one. I think I've actually been to Keystone SP when I was a kid, they do have a little beach there and I think open swimming. Amazing what you forget when you've been away long enough. Thanks for doing all the legwork! Where did you play polo? My husband played in high school but swam instead in college, now he does Masters and goes to some tournaments each year, just did one in New Orleans in Feb.
    Looks like Keystone SP is very close to Latrobe, like 10 minutes. According to the website, they have a beach.
    https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F.../Swimming.aspx
    I'd definitely check it out sometime and see how it looks.

I played water polo in college, and I remember going to a tournament at IUP. That's a bit further (about 40 min) from Latrobe, but might be worthwhile. I remember their pool was nice, well at least nicer than my school's
    Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the open water site. I'm in Latrobe, outside of Pittsburgh - we get up here about 2-3 times a year
    Where in PA are you at? I grew up near Wilkes-Barre and visit periodically.

You're right that pools are few/far between. But in summer you should be able to swim open water! If you're out in the sticks, there should be a state park nearby. When I visit in the summer I enjoy visiting a few. Here's some good info:
    https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx

Along with state parks, many cities and counties have their own parks. After visiting Jim Thorpe once, I swam in Mauch Chunk Lake, which I think is run by the city or county. Not the best o/w venue, but better than being cooped up in an indoor pool with poor ventilation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmjenkins14
    Thanks! Maybe I was motivated by the first outdoor swim of the summer... it rained but it was still better than being inside!
    Iv'e been outdoor swimming for 8 weeks now (7 of them LCM). The novelty wore off a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    1:08/1:09 100s FR LCM is no joke. Great job!
    Thanks! Maybe I was motivated by the first outdoor swim of the summer... it rained but it was still better than being inside!
    1:08/1:09 100s FR LCM is no joke. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    No pain today during the long 100's set I just posted! Hooray!
    I guess what I am also saying about taking days off, is that if you cannot live with being out of the water (like myself), then just doing kicking with a snorkel can be a great use of your time. EVERYONE needs to work on their kicking, always!
    Might seem like rotator cuff, could be as simple as minor bicep tendinitis. You are recently on the comeback path, correct? I dealt with my fair share of shoulder soreness, achiness, and pain while working back into shape/training. I try to regularly ice, but sometimes this is not possible (when it is I go 20 minutes, bag of ice directly on skin). As for therapy, I do the following exercises as part of my pre-practice routine every day:

rotator cuff internal rotation L arm
    rotator cuff external rotation R arm
    rotator cuff external rotation L arm
    rotator cuff internal rotation R arm
    standing rows (band/arms at shoulder height)
    rotator cuff external rotation down
    rotator cuff external rotation up
    empty cans R arm*
    empty cans L arm*
    *trap the band under my foot, then swing arm out to 30 degree angle before starting empty cans (my PT says the 30 degree angle is key).

I do 1 set of 15 reps for each exercise before practice, except when doing a double swim practice, in which case I do 1 set of 10 before each workout. I also switch to 2 sets of 10 during taper as my yardage decreases.

One caveat here is that everybody is different. These are the things that work for me. Thankfully my mother-in-law is a pediatric physical therapist and my father-in-law is an accomplished sports PT (was on the '96 Olympic training staff, although not in swimming). My father-in-law and I spent a lot of time talking about my shoulders, my soreness, etc. and we developed the routines I do based around that. His recommendations were to not overdue it with number of reps and number of exercises. There are so many shoulder band exercises you can do, it can be kind of overwhelming. I chose ones that I like and help me. He also was the one who explained that I don't need to do tons of reps, especially when I am training a lot. He said I could add some reps when I taper IF I felt it necessary.

All that, combined with the fact that I have two recovery days each week: one day completely off, and the other where I try to do nothing but kicking with my arms at my side using a snorkel, has helped me eliminate most shoulder issues. I have also had to dial back my power pulling as I get older as well.

Hope some of this helps. I can do some pictures or a video of me doing my shoulder rehab if it helps better understand the exercises.
    Updated May 30th, 2019 at 01:53 PM by Calvin S
    Thanks! It certainly hurt more than it did in college...
    I did the 50 (29.10) and 100 1:02.68) and it felt good to be racing again after over 10 years... although I wish the first meet back didn't have to be long course!
    Wait, you just came back to swimming after 10 years off and went 1:02 LCM?!! Yikes that's fast.
    That's a good idea too, I can incorporate that once or twice a week. Eventually I want to do a 200 again but that's an uphill mental battle.
    You could also try swimming some 50s and 100s turning at the T instead of the wall for the 1st and 3rd turns (no walls and push-offs). It takes a lot to get the momentum back up; sort of simulating a 100 lcm with only one turn.
    Ha! I tried a couple 200s at Masters Nats and landed pianos on my back the last 50. Kind of want to get back to that distance though. Doing a 200 IM at my meet this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Yay for meets! I did all of the 50s in my first Masters meet.
    I'm excited! Another swimmer at the pool asked me if I was doing the 200 and I'm sure my face was priceless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast