View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. The Holiday Schedule

My pool just posted the schedule for the holidays -- December 24 - January 3. Yes, it will be open every day, including Christmas and New Year's Day (short hours Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Years' Day, but open). So I never need to miss a day becuse of the holidays.

But here's the weird thing -- it'll be at 50 meters the entire time; no short course at all.

The pool is usually set with two 25 yard courses. Even in the summer (aka long course season), the management only sets the pool at 50 meters three nights a week.

So I'm trying to understand the thought process behind solid long course swimming in he middle of short course season. (The fact that I don't really like long course has nothing to with it -- we'll only a little.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Colonies Zone SCM Meet

OK. So I just got home from SCM Zones -- not that it was a long trip, just a 30 minute ride from on the Flushing line subway.

I missed yesterday's session. I wasn't feeling too well. I felt like I had the flu coming on , and the weather was bad, so I thought it would be better to stay home and 1) not get really sick and 2) not spread it to my fellow swimmers if it really was the flu. But this morning, I felt fine and no fever -- probably just tired yesterday.

Anyway, I swam my 50 free a full five seconds faster than at the November 21 meet (where I had to run like a madman to make my heat). This time I was behind the block well in advance, so I was able to focus on the race, not sprinting to block. There's a lot to be said for being focused on the race before the race.

This meet ran very fast and very efficiently -- well ahead of the projected timeline. I was finished almost an hour before the timeline said I would be. That's why I'm home already, with plenty of time to take care of important business, i.e., my nap
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Getting set for SCM Zones

The heat sheets and timeline for the Colonies Zone SCM meet this weekend is online at the Metro LMSC website. It looks like, even the meet is two days, my meet will be very short.

I'm only going to the Sunday session and, according to the timeline, all my events will be over by 12 noon. So I won't have to sit there all day watching people older than me swim faster than me -- unless, of course, I really want to. Since warm up starts at 9 AM, my meet will be about three hours long.

Back when I was still on a team, I would stay and watch my teammates. But now I don't have teammates (I'm registered with an umbrellla club, but that's not the same -- it's really swimming unattached.) I can still stay and watch my friends, though.

Anyway, I'll report back after the meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The sprint meet

I just got home from my first meet of the season -- the sprint only meet at Baruch College. I actually only swam the 50 free today; the meet was running long because of computer glitches and I needed to get home.

But I almost missed even that one race. The officials were starting the heat while I was still walking to the blocks, so I had to do a sprint on the deck to get to the sprint in the pool. : But I made it on time and just a little bit rattled. Oh, and I was happy with my time.

SCM Zones in two weeks, at Flushing Meadows.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Getting ready for the first meet

I'm getting ready for first meet of this season -- a sprint only meet this Saturday afternoon. It's at the same pool that I used to practice in with my former team. Of course, now I don't swim at that pool or with that team -- and the team doesn't train at that pool either. But the pool's still there and it will be my first time back.

So I did my last workout before the meet tonight. But now that I train all on my own (I'm on a sort of "virtual" team that doesn't have coaches or practices), I have to share my lanes with swimmers who, um, may not really know what they're doing. Like tonight when I was trying to circle with someone who going straight up the middle of the lane -- when she wasn't weaving from side to side. (I couldn't get too mad at her, since I don't think she knew was doing that.)

Fortunately this was only during my warmup, when I was mostly doing drills. She was finished before I did my hard swims -- which, by the way, were a lot faster than I expected.

Anyway, Saturday's meet is a small, local event, that I'm using as a warmup for Colones SCM Zones, in two weeks. And a couple of days ago I sent in my entry for a SCY meet at Eisenhower Park on January 24.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mental Health Day Swim

I took a vacation day today, mainly because I seriously needed to get away from my office far a day to preserve what's left of my sanity. Also, my pool will be closed this weekend for a USA Swimming meet, and this gives me a chance to get a swim in. (The pool closes early on Friday nights and I generally can't get to the pool in time.)

Anyway, I went to the pool around 1:30 and I was surprised to find that it closes on Fridays from 2:30 to 5, for the kids' team workout. This meant a short workout.

But I also found (not for the first time) tha ti ave a lot more energy in daytime workouts than at night. I suppose this makes sense -- I'm not as tired (or worn out) from my job. It may not be totally physical fatigue, but the mental fatigue has an effect. Anyway, it was the best quality workout that I've had all week -- faster swims -- even if it was shorter.

I should do this more often -- if I can.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Set for the New Season

Well, I've wasted no time renewing my USMS registration for 2010. I renewed online first thing yesterday morning, along with a slight change in my status. I am no longer unattached; I am now a proud member of the Metro Masters Swim Club. Actually, this is an umbrella club, with a bunch of workout groups -- but I'm not a member of any of the workout groups. So I guess I'm still kinda, sorta "unattached," even if my membership card doesn't say so, and I'm still working out on my own.

Ironically, there's a masters team at my pool, with coaches and workouts. But their workout schedule, doesn't match mine -- I don't see any point to joining them if I'll be walking into the wokouts in the middle. Now my workouts begin when I get there and end when I leave. Of course, it also means I'm still my own coach, but I'm pretty much uncoachable anyway -- I frustrate myself, so I can only imagine how a real coach would react. Besides, what other coach would put up someone as lazy as me .

Anyway, right after I renewed my membership, I entered my first meet as member of Metro (also online). Yes, I entered the Colonies Zone SCM Championship. It's only a half hour subway ride from my home, so there's really no excuse for me not to enter. (I'll have the November 21st meet as practice.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The World Series Effect

I do most of my workouts in the evening. Well, for the past couple of nights, the pool has been pretty much empty (of swimmers, that is; there's plenty of water). It seems New York's loyal Yankees fans have been at home watching the World Series.

Lucky for me, I'm not much of a baseball fan. Frankly, I get very bored watching baseball (although not nearly as much as I was playing it when I was a kid). So, being a dedicated swimmer (and at the risk of having my right to live in New York revoked) I went to the pool. And, for the past two nights, had an entire lane all to myself.

This is an unusual event at my pool. I always have to circle with at least one other swimmer. And, since I'm unattached and working out on my own, the swimmers I'm sharing the lane with aren't doing the same workout I am. So when I have a lane to myself, it means I can do my workout without having to adjust for that.

I suppose I should thank the Yankees for making that possible.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. More meet plans

OK. So it's been a week since my last entry. (Yes, I'm a bad blogger. I'll try to post more often, but no promises.)

Anyway, last week I was wondering whether or not to do the November 8 meet on Long Island. Well, I've decided to skip that one. I want to wait a couple of weeks for the Baruch College meet on the 21st, which will be a good practice meet for SCM Zones. The November 21 meet is sprint only sprint, but those are the only events I ever do and I'd like to have a nice small, low-key meet to start the season with. (Meets at Eisenhower Park, like the one on 10/8, are never small or low key.)

But there'll be another meet at Eisenhower on January 24, and I'll definitely do that. And, of course, I'm doing SCM Zones -- there's no excuse for me not to, since it's just a half hour subway ride away.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 11:39 AM by nyswimmer (correct typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Season's Starting

Well, I've sent in my first meet entry for this season and my first since May. It's a sprint meet on November 21 (no events longer than 100 meters). And it has the extra added advantages of being in the afternoon (so I can sleep late on Saturday morning -- one of my favorite things) and it's only a 10 minute subway ride (the only closer meets ae the ones at my own pool - a two block walk).

So it's the perfect meet for a lazy ba---, um, sprinter like me.

I may also do a meet on Long Island on November 8, if I'm not out of town that weekend, although that one takes a lot longer to get to, and it starts earlier, so I'd have to get up around 6AM (yeah, I am lazy). I'm also definitely doing SCM zones.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. I'm back -- with a rant

OK, so I'm a bad blogger. I haven't been here all week. But in my defense, I really haven't had that much to say all week. Basically, I was overworked at my job, I swam, I ate and I slept and that pretty much sums it up. Nothing very noteworthy. (Arguably, I still don't have much to say, but I won't let that stop me now.)

Well, actually I do have something to say.

I think it would be a good idea if someone (say a coach or a lifeguard or the management) would explain some of the basic rules of lane etiquette to the pool's water polo club. What brings this up, you ask? (Actually, you're probably not asking, but I want to vent.) We'll before their practices, at the other end of the pool (it's 50 meters, divided into two 25 yard courses), some of them warm in the lap lanes.

Well, one of them got into my (fast) lane, began doing more or less stationary drills (treading water, etc.) and wouldn't get out of my way. Of course, the pool has a clearly labeled "slow" lane for stationary drills. Fortunately, I was close to the end of my workout anyway, so I just left a few minutes early. But it's ironic that athletes from another aquatic sport seem to have less respect for swimming etiquette than the recovering runners aquajogging last week.

In other news, I got a Facebook request from a total stranger today. I did recognize the name -- but on the off chance that there really is a female college student from South Africa, attending an Indian university, who happens to have the same name as a male character played by Sylvester Stallone, I won't mention it. But I am not personally acquainted with such a person. I suppose I should reject it -- even though I don't have that many "friends."
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Back in the Pool

My three days of chlorine withdrawal are over (the pool was closed for an age group meet).

I was actually feeling pretty lousy before I went to the pool tonight, but it ended once I got in the water. Partly this was due to a busy day at work, but maybe I really do get withdrawal symptoms. OK. That's all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Non-Swim Weekend

WAAAAH!

I can't swim this weekend . The pool's closed because of an age-group meet and I'm not 16. (Actually, it will be open for a couple of hours in the evening, but that doesn't fit in with my Saturday night plans.) So, I think I'll be having chlorine withdrawal symptoms by tomorrow night.

I suppose I'll just have to treat this as a double rest day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Weirdness at the Pool

Strange workout last night.

About midway through two (I thought) swimmers in the next lane asked if they could share my lane -- I was alone at the time. They were trying to get away from a very grumpy swimmer in their lane. I agreed.

Then it turned out that they weren't swimmers at all. They were aqua joggers. Kind of a problem. Fortunately, they kept out of my way and let me pass without problem. (They were actually marathon runners recovering from races and, I suppose, injuries. So, unlike the typical noodler, they respected a swimming workout.)

OK. That's all. I don't have any point to make. Now it's off to the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Saturday Swim

I swim unattached, so I have to do all my workouts in my pool's public lap swim lanes (there's actually a team at my pool, but their workout schedule, doesn't fit with my life schedule). Most of the time, this means sharing a lane with swimmers who are doing totally different workouts from mine, often at different speeds. Fortunately, most of the swimmers at my pool know, understand and fully support lane etiquette (there are the occasional exceptions, who whine about circling and won't let others pass) and we manage to get along just fine.

Nevertheless, being able to have a lane to myself -- as rare as it is -- is great. Well, today was one of those days. I don't know why, but there was almost no one in the pool this afternoon, which rarely happens on weekends. (Unfortunately, I was too tired for a really hard workout, so I spent the time doing stroke drills. )
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. The Endless Suit War

I had thought once FINA issued its swimsuit rules that would end the whole argument. Silly me.

The issue is really academic to me, personally. I'd be perfectly happy with briefs whether body suits were allowed or not. I've never had any intention of buying a tech suit. There's no real danger that I'd ever set a record or win a National Championship. So I'm really mostly interested in my own times -- and I really don't care what the guy in the next lane is wearing. And just as a matter of comfort, I don't like body suits. (I do have some misgivings about having an arms race for the "latest and greatest.")

But, frankly, I don't see the point to arguing about it now. It seems pretty unlikely that there would be a big enoough market among Masters, for manufacturers to make the suits just for us.

But, mostly, I'm just tired of the whole issue.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Planning the Season

Well, I just got back from tonight's workout, which -- since I'm unattached -- begins when I show up and ends when I leave. My coach (me) gave the team (me)an easy workout tonight (which I won't post here, because then everyone will know just how lazy I really am).

Anyway, my coach and I now planning this year's meets (in other words, I'm obsessing about it and talking to myself). The Metro LMSC website already has a pretty full schedule posted -- really early in the season. We've already got two meets at the Flushing Meadow Park Aquatic Center (possibly including SCM Zones) and three at the Eisenhower Park Aquatic Center. Plus a few at local college pools.

I'll definitely be making it my business to do SCM Zones -- in fact, I really have no excuse since it's just a 20 minute subway ride from me -- along with at least the other FM meet (in March) and the Eisenhower meets. I'm glad we have so many scheduled. It should make for my only being able to do two meets last year, because of back trouble. Anyway, I'm sure no one else cares, but I just wanted to commit myself in writing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Here I am. Now what?

OK. Since it seems that USMS has gone ahead and created a blog for me, I should go ahead and use it. Assuming, that is, i actually have something worthwhile to say. Which may mean that I won't be here all that much. But we'll see.

Actually, this is really my third blog. I've two "freestanding" blogs, on other sites, that I've shut down. The paradox of blogging is that when i have something to say, I don't have time to write about it. And when I do have time, it's because I don't have much to do -- so I don't have anything to day (this post should prove that). Anyway, i guess this would be a good place for my pointless rambling, mindless rants and general observations.
    Categories
    Uncategorized