View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. 4/29/2009 Mountain Bike Ride

by , April 29th, 2009 at 10:08 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    Since I'm logging my workouts, I may as well log my extra-swimming workouts.
    I had a 90 minute ride with mixed intensity. Pushed the climbs to a high heartrate and cruised most everything else to get a feel for my new bicycle. My legs were still sore from Sunday's ride since it was my first of the season. One of these days I will learn to ride over the winter so I don't have to endure the pain of getting back into riding shape.
    It's steel, so it's not quite as hip as the greatest carbon stuff, but it has great feel, meaning that it absorbs bumps well and flexes in all the right spots!
    Now, if I were an elite level mountain bike racer, I would probably choose the latest carbon bike since it would weigh less and be more rigid. But this frame will outlast 10 carbon frames.
    Enough with my moronic rambling, here is the picture.

2. 4-26-2009 Mountain Bike Ride

by , April 27th, 2009 at 12:56 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    My first exercise since leaving for Germany a week ago last Thursday.
    About 14 miles with nearly 2500 feet of climbing and some pretty tricky sections. It hurt.
  3. Cross Training on 2/1

by , February 6th, 2009 at 04:26 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    I competed in a mountain cross race on Sunday. It didn't occur to me to post it as cross training.
    Mountain cross is a mix of mountain biking and cyclocross in that it has singletrack sections with roots, rocks, and logs (mountain biking) and grass path, relatively flat sections with obstacles that you have to get off your bike to clear (cyclocross). The course was ridiculously muddy meaning that it was slower, which instantly made me more competitive. I'm a good climber, but I'm not so fast on the faster stuff. Anyway, I finished 7th out of 30, I rode for 56 minutes, and probably completed 8 miles at most. It was fun and it made my legs and lungs burn for the better part of an hour.

Here's a picture of the muddy bicycle. You can't see all the mud on my rear end from sliding down a muddy hill on said rear end...three times!!!

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 09:41 AM by Iwannafly

Categories
  4. No Swim to Ring in the New Year

by , January 2nd, 2009 at 09:42 AM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    But I did go on a 10 mile, 4 1/2 hour hike with approximately 2500 feet of climbing! My legs are tired the morning after!

Updated January 5th, 2009 at 02:06 PM by Iwannafly

Categories