View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Feb 23 Distance Night

by , February 24th, 2010 at 10:17 AM (FREEDom)
    After a few months of slacking on the blogging, I'll try to pick it up again. Just got real busy, had a health issue that set me back for a couple of months in the fall, so lost my momentum. I did keep up with swimming, and have been swimming reasonably well lately. That's good, since I'll have a couple of big meets this Spring at Y-Nats and USMS Nats.

We've started a slightly different practice strategy the last few weeks, and I'm liking it for the most part. We try to have a little more specialized practices on a weekly basis:

Mon - sprint
    Tues - distance
    Wed - IM/stroke
    Thurs - sprint
    Sat - mixed (2 hrs)

I like it since it does put an emphasis more regularly on distance, and as a middle distance to distance swimmer (darn!), its what I need. But not everyone enjoys workouts like tonight, which is a bit of gut check mentally and physically to get through it. I hopeful the mental aspect will help my 1650 in particular (next swimming that March 19), since I'm good for 1000, but have always had a hard time with the last 1/3 of the race mentally.

Here was last nights practice:

Warm up:
    400 300 200 100 (got in a little late)

2 x 200 IM drill, 10 sec rest

4 x 400 on 5:30 I did 2 swim, 2 pull w/ snorkel
    4 x 300 on 4:15 I did 2 swim, 2 pull w/ snorkel
    4 x 200 kick 2 w/ fins 3:15, 2 no fins 4:00

200 warm down

Nice 5000 yards or so.

Also hit the gym this morning.

Did arms/legs circuit:
    On the cable cross
    2 x 25 x 25lbs shoulder adduction
    2 x 25 x 20 lbs shoulder abduction
    2 x 20 x 130 lbs twists
    1 x 15 x 60 lbs one arm lat pull downs
    1 x 15 x 70 lbs """"

legs
    3 x 20 x 230/250/270 seated leg press
    3 x 70 x 30 secs/leg hold leg extensions (my knees hurt too much to do the full exercise)
    2 x 15x 110 leg curl
    2 x 20 x 110 hip adduction

arms/chest:
    2 x 15 x 100 lat pulldowns
    2 x 15 x 45/50 dumbell bench press

I then did about 30 minutes of the Infusion class... its a combination of pilates and working on those big balls. Really really works the core/abs, so I'm thinking this will help stability and balance in the water. It is really good work so far.

Don't slow down!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 8/22 Triathlon Day

by , August 22nd, 2009 at 09:54 PM (FREEDom)
    Competed in my 2nd individual triathlon today at Ft Desoto. It was a sprint distance -- 600m swim, 10.6mi bike, and 5K run.

Woke up at 3:50, and drove other with Chris A, a tri buddy of mine. Got there about 5:30, checked in set up, etc. Plenty of time, but don't rush me .

I was in the 2nd swim wave. #1 in the 50 - 54 age group out of the water. That's the main thing to these triathlons. Those other parts are for the birds.

Bike was pretty decent I think, or at least I thought it was. Did have some noticeable headwind for a substantial part of the ride, but I was still able to clock 21.1mph according to my bike speedometer. My official split on the bike leg was something like 19.4, but that must have included transition, since transition was not reported separately.

The run for me is about survival right now. I've not run enough to be competitive, so I just try to find a pace and hold on. It was tough...hot, and my stomach was not feeling so good. Probably should not choke down a power gel during the bike, or drink Gatorade... just water, for a sprint race, next time. But I gutted it out, and I was pretty happy with my run, as it was faster than the first race.

Here the splits:

Swim - 6:28 (not sure it was really 600m), #1. Plan was < 9 mins
    Bike - 33:12 (19.2 mph), #8. Plan was < 29 mins, but it was a longer course
    Run - 26:45 (8:38/mile), #12. Plan was < 29 mins, so this is good.
    Total time - 1:06:24. Pretty happy with that time.

Finished 8 out of 26 in my age group. Not bad for a 2nd race I guess. I was about 5 minutes faster than my first race., but still 6 mins slower than the top 3 in my age group today. I did better in the transitions, and in the run, and maybe a little better on the bike. Will have to make more progress on the bike and run to place better.

Had a good time, plenty of food and drink after the race. I mostly rehydrated...
    Here is what I drank in the hour after the race:
    1 water
    1 gatorade
    1 chocolate milk
    2 waters

About 60 oz of fluids. Maybe I did not quite need that much, since I really needed to go when I got home about a couple of hours later.
    Tags: triathlon
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 8/16 Bike and Jog

by , August 16th, 2009 at 08:31 PM (FREEDom)
    7am Bike, then jog
    Cycled again at San Antonio, FL. Did the 40 mile route, plus doubled up on a hill or two. rode with Mike... and a lot of other folks were out there, as its a very poplar bike spot. At one point Mike and I were cruising and chatting, and got passed by a large pace line... about 20 riders or more. I was going pretty fast downhill, but they were going faster. I'm not used to large group rides like that... or getting in the middle of them, since several of them cut if pretty close to me. I just tried to keep my line. San Ann is also popular with motorcyclists, but they did not see too happy today. Mike and I were just cruising along at one point, and one solo motorcyclist blew his horn, then gave us the thumbs down sign. Nice guy, giving the motorcyclists a bad name. The later, shortly after that large pace line passed us, a couple of the cyclists were riding 3 wide, and a couple of motorcyclists came up and tried to pass... way to fast. One was trying accelerate, then he slammed on his rear brake and slid, just about bought it. A little weird out there today.

After the bike, I ran about 2 miles, 20 minutes. Ugh... that was hard. There was a nice hill on the route. My legs did not want to run after the 40 mile ride. I understand the lingo for a bike - run training is BRIC. Bike - Run, ??. I know my legs felt like bricks.

Race next weekend. Woo hoo!. Ready for the swim, I should be OK in the bike. The run will be ... interesting. I'll try to get a couple of 3 mile runs in this week, may be a 25 mile ride, and my regular swimming. Probably should practice some transitions too. Oh, I think I have a golf league on Tuesday evening too.
    Tags: bike, running
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 7/25 7AM Bike ride

by , July 27th, 2009 at 09:28 PM (FREEDom)
    Rode 46 miles around Suncoast Trail and Starkey Park. Mostly flat. Nice ride, good weather if a bit warm and humid, but that's Florida in the summer. I had hoped to make it back in time for 10am masters swim practice, but was running too late.

Ended up taking it easy most of the rest weekend.
    Tags: bike
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 7/21 - Run and ... Golf!

by , July 21st, 2009 at 09:37 PM (FREEDom)
    AM Jog
    Ran about 30 minutes or so around the neighborhoods, about 3 miles I think. Woo hoo! Getting near that 10 minute mile barrier! Still working on getting in some running shape to not embarrass myself on some triathlons. So right now, just some easy-ish jogging at an aerobic level, adapting. My legs are bit sore in the quads right now, so still have some work. I may add some speed work in a few days.

PM - Golf league
    I play regularly in a golf league in the summer on Tuesday evenings. Been doing that for more than 20 years... maybe 25. Longer than this swimming thing I do, at least this 2nd time around. I used to tee it up a lot more, but not sure I played that much better when I played a lot more. Played decently tonight... stayed out of bad trouble made a few putts, and shot 37, 1 over par, no birdies, no skins, and won my match. Rest of my team lost, so we lost the match. I don't shoot 37 every night so I'll take it tonight.

Back in the water tomorrow!
    Tags: golf, running
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 7/18 Morning Bike

by , July 18th, 2009 at 01:50 PM (FREEDom)
    Rode the hills of San Antonio, FL. Nice group today. Rode with several triathletes with my tri team, which I've gotten into to mix things up a bit, since at times my swimming get stale. Tri team social tonight at Andrews!. I enjoy the bike. A couple of those guys can really ride. Must have an extra gear, or maybe its that youth thing, although Chris is also 50, and is great rider and runner.... but I got him on the swim! I was able to keep up with the lead group for the most part. Considering I have not ridden much lately, I did ok. 35 miles. Will try to ride again tomorrow with Sharon, since she was busy this morning and could not ride.

I've noted a few things about triathlons that masters might pick up on. I'm far from experienced on tris, but here are a few observations.

• Get to the race early. Races start around 7am or so, but around here, if you don't get there by 6am, you may have trouble getting a parking spot at some races. May have over 1000 athletes compete for a well established sprint tri.
    • At local masters meets, warm ups start at 7am usually, and I don't have to worry about parking. The local SPM masters meet I went to last week had about 190 competitors, and that meet has been around for 20+ years. We have 5 - 6 local masters meets a year is west central FL, so we are lucky we have plenty of local options, and I can sleep in my own bed.
    • The tri is done by 8:30 or so +/- 30 minutes depending.
    • A local masters meet is a 2 day affair, sometines 2 1/2. They take up to 5 hours or so on Saturday and Sunday.
    • That's some of the reasons my wife almost never comes and watches me swim at the local meets ... some folks spouses are always there, but Sharon rarely is. But she will get up early for a ride or a duathlon. She's not much of a swimmer yet (and she won't listen when tried to give her some swimming advice.
    • Race fast at a triathlon! If you finish late, all the good food is gone! And there is lots of good food.
    • I've never seen a spread at masters meet like I have at triathlons. I enjoy Sarasota's nice picnic in the park, but its not the scale of the triathlon crowd.
    • I can do a triathlon on a Saturday morning, and still make it back in time for my Saturday 10am masters swim practice. Won't be setting any records, but it does help to loosen up.
    • I joined a tri team to help learn the ropes. Good group of folks (party tonight). But triathlons as far as I can tell are not really a team sport. I'm not aware of any team scoring at the competitions, so the team is more of a social and workout group. The guy who leads our team does a great job in communications and setting up monthly socials, which is important to keep folks engaged. He's also sought out some sponsorships, as well as a charity we support. I think that's an interesting model, something my masters team (and I'm one of the primaries) should seek replicate. I just don't know where he gets the time to do all that. But what he's doing with the tri team is similar to what I've heard from others who've built up good masters teams - takes time to organize, and keep it something you want to keep going to. Socials, communications,etc are important. We do some of that, but not enough.

Time to get ready for the party! Sharon wants to come home early and clean carpets tonight.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 7/1 Afternoon Bike

by , July 1st, 2009 at 10:32 PM (FREEDom)
    I was not able to swim this morning, but was able to ride my bike this afternoon. I rode the Aldridge Creek Greenway, which is a bike/walking path along a creek about 3.2 miles, somewhat scenic and flat. It connects to the Tennessee River Greenway at the Ditto Landing Marina, which is about another 1.8 miles along the river, which ends at the Whitesburg Marina. We spent a lot of time launching our boat from those marinas when I was younger. My brother and I must have taught half the town how to water ski. Again, scenic along the river, but flat. I did 4 laps and a little site seeing around the old neighborhood, plus the 2.5 miles to and from the trail, for a total of 31 miles. It was a bit windy at times. I did get a few hills in, but there are some real mountains for the brave here. Maybe next time.
    Tags: bike
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 6/24 AM - missed workout

by , June 24th, 2009 at 02:04 PM (FREEDom)
    Missed workout since I had flat tire last night, busted the wheel lock,
    had to have it towed, and got back home late. It's now fixed, so should be back on schedule this afternoon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 6/12 - 14 No practice

by , June 15th, 2009 at 09:36 PM (FREEDom)
    Traveling and at my daughter's college graduation (yeah!), so no training for a few days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized