Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I was so busy racing and cooling down on Saturday that I completely missed all of those races, but I saw your IM on Sunday and thought that looked great. I was expecting to watch you rock the 50 free, so was disappointed not to see that.

I am glad you had a great time this weekend - come back next year and bring some more DAM people along.

Tell your sister she's an awesome official saint - I see her working so many meets, age group and Masters -- it's impressive.
    I got to swim next to Misty Hyman in the 100 IM! That was a very strong race for me! I had to skip the 50 free and 200 breast to rest up for the 100 back. For some reason, the 100 free and 100 back take so much more out of me. Great to see you! I'll certainly be back to AZ!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Splendid racing!

Does this also mean no LCM racing this year?
    haha! no, I will race LCM, but not make a serious effort to train LCM. It will be good to just get up on the blocks and go, but not take the summer too seriously. I'd like to do another round of P90X and just swim indoors!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job Michelle!! You even beat me in the 200 fly this weekend! ;-)
    Did I really???!!! Well, it would be fun to swim it together some time! Maybe another AZ meet!!
    I was so busy racing and cooling down on Saturday that I completely missed all of those races, but I saw your IM on Sunday and thought that looked great. I was expecting to watch you rock the 50 free, so was disappointed not to see that.

I am glad you had a great time this weekend - come back next year and bring some more DAM people along.

Tell your sister she's an awesome official saint - I see her working so many meets, age group and Masters -- it's impressive.
    Splendid racing!

Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I don't want to train long course.
    Does this also mean no LCM racing this year?
    Nice swims again. I hate it when I am too deep on the dive on the 50 fly! Something I need to focus on too.
    Nice job Michelle!! You even beat me in the 200 fly this weekend! ;-)
    Without a doubt, my 50 back and 50 fly on Saturday we're my favorites. I was also pretty darn happy with my 100 breast from last weekend. 100 IM was my most disappointing event of the season.
    HI Fort! I think my favorite was the 100 fly at 1:02.1. I really appreciate being able to swim fly again, and to put some umph into that race with control and standing on the blocks knowing that yes, I am going to finish and let's see how fast I can go. It's so nice to swim a race and even before the end of the season, to know (or at least have no doubt in your own mind) that it will make top ten (based on my detailed, historical analysis). And as soon as you start ungracefully getting out of the pool on your knees, elbows, or whatever, to be thinking, I know I can go faster!

What was your favorite and/or most meaningful swim so far? You must blog about the 100 fly and 100IM!
    Another great meet! I am so impressed that you got in 12 times in SCY. The 100s seem to be your sweet spot this season. And 200 fly?! I can't fathom even getting to the finish line in that one. What was your #1 favorite event/time of the season?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Very nice meet Michelle. It was great catching up. Good luck next weekend.
    YEAH! I'm sure i'll see you at some of the summer USA meets, and the LCM zone meet is going to be at Mansfield, perfect for you since it's the mirror image of Rockwall! Hopefully the zone records will be updated by then.

You can find them at southtexasmastersswimming(dot)com, Events, Meet Results, then scroll down. The SCY need to be updated for 2013 and this year, and LCM you need to update for 2013. I couldn't find results on their website (I think it was Jenks, OK), so I did it the long way by going to USMS and the meet results, then clicking every darn individual that seemed like a girls name. Very quickly you can see if it's someone in the age group and then you'd only care if they had a #1 time. I'd compare that to the exsiting record and put a dot by it. My age group there is usually a swimmer in every event, so I know i'm done updating when every event is dotted.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Strict Rushall is on :20 rest and then skip a rep if you miss your target 100 pace. I can't do that. He says drop dead sprinters can have up to :30 rest. I usually miss one half way through, but it doesn't bother me. I also use fins on these sets sometimes.

Being chauffeur driven around is the best! Is this a two day meet?
    Ok, so let's say for the 100 SCM fly, my current time is rounded to 1:10. My target time (since it seems silly to put in all that work just to go about the same time of 1:10, so let's do a big drop for a target) is somewhere closer to 1:05, which translates to 16's to 16.5's. If I just go on the 35 interval, that's close to 20 seconds rest. For 30 seconds, i'd be doing 25's on the 45 second interval. Now that seems more doable. 10 seconds is way too hard to do more than 4-8 max. I'll give it a try!!!
    Very nice meet Michelle. It was great catching up. Good luck next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I was just talking up the Colonies zone meet to my DAMM teammates at our zone meet! Too bad it is the same weekend as AZ, and that wins out because I can stay for free, eat for free, and be chauffeur driven by chowsh!

What do you do the 30 x 25's on - a specific interval?

My strategy on a 100 fly is to get to the 62.5 mark without "flinching". By that I mean, you don't want to be just outside the flags (45 mark) and start thinking, Am I tired? Why yes, I am bone dead tired! You want to not flinch, make a snappy turn at the 50, turn off your brain just a little longer, then get to the middle of the 3rd length, and then psyche yourself up by saying, Hey! I made it all the way here without thinking about being tired! And by then, you just start thinking about slingshotting yourself through the last turn, and then you are home free on the 4th length! The key for me, is to get as far past the 50 as possible and then hang on!
    Strict Rushall is on :20 rest and then skip a rep if you miss your target 100 pace. I can't do that. He says drop dead sprinters can have up to :30 rest. I usually miss one half way through, but it doesn't bother me. I also use fins on these sets sometimes.

Being chauffeur driven around is the best! Is this a two day meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur
    Yeah my 100 fly is faster if I don't go out too fast. My best 100 fly time is from a meet when I had the 200 back right after (and my main event) so I tried to take the first 50 of the fly out relatively easy.

Nice swims Chowmi!
    Thank you! I am happy and I think they were very solid times. But it's even funner knowing you have much room for improvement, and there are always different events to try!

Maybe part of the reason you had such a good time when you went relatively easy is because you were actually at your optimal efficiency! You used less energy but had good form and low drag resistance, and that pays off big time on the back end!!
    Great job! And those fly times were very impressive. I am the opposite of you in the 100 fly. I try to take it out slow (and usually fail) and then die big time on the second 50 no matter what. But like you in 100 free, I am not willing to train hard for the 100 fly. I will say the USRPT sets (30 x 25) are a decent way to train for 100s. No real pain. Though I don't feel like they prepare you for the nasty lactate burn on that last 25.

I hope you have a massage booked for today to help you recover after all those events! Good luck in AZ. Will miss you at Colonies.
    I was just talking up the Colonies zone meet to my DAMM teammates at our zone meet! Too bad it is the same weekend as AZ, and that wins out because I can stay for free, eat for free, and be chauffeur driven by chowsh!

What do you do the 30 x 25's on - a specific interval?

My strategy on a 100 fly is to get to the 62.5 mark without "flinching". By that I mean, you don't want to be just outside the flags (45 mark) and start thinking, Am I tired? Why yes, I am bone dead tired! You want to not flinch, make a snappy turn at the 50, turn off your brain just a little longer, then get to the middle of the 3rd length, and then psyche yourself up by saying, Hey! I made it all the way here without thinking about being tired! And by then, you just start thinking about slingshotting yourself through the last turn, and then you are home free on the 4th length! The key for me, is to get as far past the 50 as possible and then hang on!
    Great job! And those fly times were very impressive. I am the opposite of you in the 100 fly. I try to take it out slow (and usually fail) and then die big time on the second 50 no matter what. But like you in 100 free, I am not willing to train hard for the 100 fly. I will say the USRPT sets (30 x 25) are a decent way to train for 100s. No real pain. Though I don't feel like they prepare you for the nasty lactate burn on that last 25.

I hope you have a massage booked for today to help you recover after all those events! Good luck in AZ. Will miss you at Colonies.
    Yeah my 100 fly is faster if I don't go out too fast. My best 100 fly time is from a meet when I had the 200 back right after (and my main event) so I tried to take the first 50 of the fly out relatively easy.

Nice swims Chowmi!

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    It takes weeks of couch potatoing before I reach 110%
    I can understand that! Perhaps part physical rest, part self-loathing at the doing nothingness, and a large part bribery, such as "If I do this first event really, really, and I mean really fast, i'm going to get that 3 scoop sundae. And a root beer float."
    It takes weeks of couch potatoing before I reach 110%
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast