Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I wouldn't use something like that against a person. Sure, it's good to say you were on the team that won the NCAA champs, even if you didn't score any points. He probably did help a lot during the dual meet season picking up those 3rd places, etc. I claim being an NAIA National Champion, but that's cause I was individually 4 times over two years. As a team we placed 3rd for our highest during my time in college. I don't sit back and rub it in people's faces though (maybe ThatGuy's), but that's just being childish.
    James, you are awesome!! In your case, you are an individual and team champion! And you have a great attitude that is inclusive of your fellow teammates. But this guy truly didn't score points at NCAAs. I'll just point out to him that when I say "we" in means, including myself. But when he says "we", it means "all the other guys who scored the points to win the NCAAs".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Someone on a masters team trying to "lord" it over others?! I can't stand people like that. If I were you, I would get in a well placed barb. Not just because he's annoying, but because he might be making other people there feel badly or less welcome. I hope people are rolling their eyes when he goes into self-congratulatory mode.
    I think he's just really insecure, the type who has to try to put other people down in order to make himself feel better. Not my type of masters swimmer at all.
    I wouldn't use something like that against a person. Sure, it's good to say you were on the team that won the NCAA champs, even if you didn't score any points. He probably did help a lot during the dual meet season picking up those 3rd places, etc. I claim being an NAIA National Champion, but that's cause I was individually 4 times over two years. As a team we placed 3rd for our highest during my time in college. I don't sit back and rub it in people's faces though (maybe ThatGuy's), but that's just being childish.
    Someone on a masters team trying to "lord" it over others?! I can't stand people like that. If I were you, I would get in a well placed barb. Not just because he's annoying, but because he might be making other people there feel badly or less welcome. I hope people are rolling their eyes when he goes into self-congratulatory mode.
    Updated March 26th, 2015 at 04:20 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Brazilian steakhouses are best after a 5K open water swim, with a big bottle of Chilean Carmenere to complete the South American vibe, some other hungry athlete friends and Uber on the speed dial.

Welcome back.
    Hey thanks! Now i'm hiding back at the office since the kitchen contractors and our maid are at the house today. Don't usually do this much work so more time to kill on the usms forums/blogs! I personally like the free dessert or buy one get one free promotion, the latter quite scarce these days......ahhhhh...that strip of fat on their signature meat!
    Brazilian steakhouses are best after a 5K open water swim, with a big bottle of Chilean Carmenere to complete the South American vibe, some other hungry athlete friends and Uber on the speed dial.

Welcome back.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice job chowmi!

Are you planning on nationals since it's in your home state?
    Hi Fort! I PM'd you as well.

Right now, I don't plan on it. But I said the same thing for Austin, 2008 and did amazing there. My goal is to stay healthy and injury free this year. I'll do our 1 day meet in Feb, and then see how I feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That sounds like fun. If you give them plenty of space and just interact occasionally during the meet they will probably think it is cool. You are fast enough that there is no danger of being embarrassingly slow. My daughter and I have talked about doing something like this, but have not made it happen. About 1.5 years ago there was an open meet and we were going to enter a relay with my daughter's friend and her little brother, (who was about 7 at the time). We were pretty excited about it and even tried to think up a name for our relay team, but the meet got cancelled Have fun!

Nice swims btw.
    Thank you! They're not really into the swimming, but will do a meet now and then. It will be a fun experience to have them swim in the same event!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Think of this meet as laying the foundation for a lifetime of engagement with your daughters through Masters swimming. For me, I love that my Dad and I still can connect through swimming masters. I hope that I'll do the same with my daughters later in their lives.
    Sorry to miss you - we swam on different days!!!! See you at the 1-day meet at Highland Park!!!
    Nice job chowmi!

Are you planning on nationals since it's in your home state?
    Next up: I entered another USA meet - an open format, no qualifying times. So it'll be a mixed bag of swimmers. Most notably, it will be a MOMMY AND ME swim meet! I entered the 50 free, swimming 13 & over, WITH MY 2 DAUGHTERS! What fun. Well, for me. Not so much for them.
    That sounds like fun. If you give them plenty of space and just interact occasionally during the meet they will probably think it is cool. You are fast enough that there is no danger of being embarrassingly slow. My daughter and I have talked about doing something like this, but have not made it happen. About 1.5 years ago there was an open meet and we were going to enter a relay with my daughter's friend and her little brother, (who was about 7 at the time). We were pretty excited about it and even tried to think up a name for our relay team, but the meet got cancelled Have fun!

Nice swims btw.
    Next up: I entered another USA meet - an open format, no qualifying times. So it'll be a mixed bag of swimmers. Most notably, it will be a MOMMY AND ME swim meet! I entered the 50 free, swimming 13 & over, WITH MY 2 DAUGHTERS! What fun. Well, for me. Not so much for them.
    Think of this meet as laying the foundation for a lifetime of engagement with your daughters through Masters swimming. For me, I love that my Dad and I still can connect through swimming masters. I hope that I'll do the same with my daughters later in their lives.
    Great job in your last two meets! I'm so impressed that you can throw down very good times in the 200 free and 200 IM on less training than most people do for those events. And a four second drop?! Wowsa. I don't think my training would carry over at all to the 200s. You are not just a sprinter; you are incredibly versatile.

For breaststroke, I have made some headway on that stroke in the last couple years. It is a body position stroke. I have no kick. But my breast improved with major use of fins, which help you get in a better position to lunge forward. I also really focused on the early vertical forearm and use the palms down recovery that Salo recommends.
    Updated November 18th, 2014 at 11:41 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swimming!

No comment on that breast split.
    HI KNELSON! I saw you swim in PHX! But I was too busy Doin' Nothing in my deck chair to see you during the meet! I hope to be back in the spring - maybe for the Misty Hyman at Mesa!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Agreed. Excellent splitting and the time is fast, especially in comparison to the 200.
    Based on the splits, it looks like the 3rd 50 of your 200 could have been quite a bit faster.
    Also, isn't back faster than IM?
    I'm recalling a SCM meet a few years back where I was also 2:42 in the 200. At the same meet I was 1:16 in the 100, so your 1:10 looks like a very strong swim. I assume you listed the events in the order swum??? If so, the 1:10 in the 100 bk is especially impressive. Overall very nice swimming and fun to read about.
    Thanks Karl! I think the 100 back was my best swim of the meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryR
    It was great to meet you on Saturday! I really enjoyed watching you swim. You were awesome.
    GREAT TO MEET YOU MARYR!!!! Looking forward to seeing you at other meets in the future! So nice to know we have a friend in common!! Take care!
    It was great to meet you on Saturday! I really enjoyed watching you swim. You were awesome.
    Best swim was probably the 100 back
    Agreed. Excellent splitting and the time is fast, especially in comparison to the 200.
    Based on the splits, it looks like the 3rd 50 of your 200 could have been quite a bit faster.
    Also, isn't back faster than IM?
    I'm recalling a SCM meet a few years back where I was also 2:42 in the 200. At the same meet I was 1:16 in the 100, so your 1:10 looks like a very strong swim. I assume you listed the events in the order swum??? If so, the 1:10 in the 100 bk is especially impressive. Overall very nice swimming and fun to read about.
    Nice swimming!

No comment on that breast split.
    Still can't decide what to swim at the Ron John. 100 fly and 100 IM for sure. They are the first events I would consider each day. The rest I may pick based on how well I can recover to max the events instead of which ones I am actually better at.
    I haven't compared the order of events to last year; maybe it's the same and it's just my mindset, but it seems like a hard OOE to work with.
Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast