View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. SPLASH FOR CA$H

by , October 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Having been gone so long, I decided to wait until I had a good time to report.

Rules are:
    $10 bucks paid to challenge swimmer if you make the goal time, within range
    $20 buck paid to coach if you are out of the range

My stated goal time: 28.9 SCM
    Coach's grace time: .5 spanning your goal time
    Range: 28.7 to 29.2

My time: 28.69

So technically, I was out of the range!
    Consider it a penalty for setting too modest a goal time by .01!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am going to swim our 1-day SCM meet, and the order of events totally sucks for 4 x 50ers. The fly/free and breast/back are back to back. So i'll do that anyway, and i've been "training" to go fast 50's in that order within 2 to 4 minutes. If 2 mins, then I typically do a 25/5sec/25. If longer, then I do a blast-o 50. I have been going 31/32 on the flys, and 29/30 on the frees; 40/41 on breast and 35/36 backs, so I think I can still muster a strong 2nd 50 for each pair in the meet. I'll probably also do the 100IM, and just gut it out with anything I have left. If I can do pretty solid 1:19 and under in workouts, I would say that's anywhere from 1:09 to 1:14 in a meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Maintaining as must as possible

by , October 8th, 2013 at 04:43 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hello! Long time no blog!

I've been trying to keep up the speed and peppy-ness even though i've been so busy and traveling for a wedding. I'm tired and just spent all the time. Anyway, I figure a fast 50 here and there is better for me that trying to do full workouts.

Today I went
    28.9 on the coach's watch. Nice it was under 29, but about 1 second off where i'd like to be on a coach's GO. I'd like to be 28.0 or better. I'd say today's time puts me at a mid to high 27 in a real race. Since I went 28.6LCM, I think that's about right. Also, my competitive advantage is SCM, since I train it year round!

I am happy to report that I am getting my fly back! I have been swimming fly with fins sometimes, and that seems to really help! I went 1:18 and 1:17 yesterday and today on a straight 100 fly, without completely killing myself. I think that's pretty good and would translate to about a 1:12 to 1:08, ranging from a strong but controlled swim to a gut-busting time if my life depended on it. Given that a 1:12 woudl make top ten, i'll lean towards 1:10 to 1:12.

Oddly, my back is totally sucky right now.

In breaststroke news, that wonderful double kick sensation is a reality, and totally no benefit of a doubt disqualifable. Not sure how I got into that habit, but I have decided to just brazenly do whatever my body is going to do, DQ be darned! I asked my coach to watch it and see if I could still pass as legal, and the consensus was no, not at all.

My first meet will be a USA meet Nov 8-10. I've entered the 50 free, 100 fly, and 100 back. The 50 free is on a Friday night, and hopefully i'll be able to go under 25.0 as I didn't break that last year!
    Categories
    Uncategorized