View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. Update pre-bunny day

by , March 28th, 2013 at 11:52 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It's one week away!

South Central Zones. A name of interest in the roster. Guess who it is. Besides yours truly, heh heh....

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/c...2023&smid=4344

The default search is ok, but I don't know how useful it really is to see who's on your team that is going. I'd rather be able to see who's in my age group.

I can't say I have any thrilling breakthru sets or any amazing 50 free times. I did one from the blocks that may have been 28ish but since i'm not sure i'll safely say a solid 29 from the blocks diving over my lanemates' heads which was quite pointless as it was so incredibly distracting. And dangerous.

This week i've been extremely tired. So tired that I have decided to hit the brakes and literally just do bobs and light 50's and 25's up to about 1/2 hour. There is no point in grinding through sets this last week.

I'm really excited for the 500. I am still leaning on no counter, but perhaps telling some people to watch me and yell at the end if I am a 50 short. I think I should bring more substantial snacks, just in case I am actually really hungry. I wonder if it would look strange if I took out a chicken leg and started eating it on the pool deck. That would be more discrete than say, one of those Fair-sized turkey legs. Maybe roll up some ham and cheese cubes, or a sandwich of some sort. I just have this strange feeling that a power bar isn't going to cut it.

I will be so excited to travel for a meet I haven't gone away for a meet since last year's Colonies Zone meet, which was great fun. I would like to do that meet in the future, but it was too close to this meet and Austin is hard to pass up.

Hope everyone is doing well, and good luck if you are swimming your zone meet the next week as well!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Distance swimming in Breckenridge

by , March 14th, 2013 at 03:56 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today is our last day in Breckenridge. I am up to 16 cumulative miles towards the 50 mile club. Xmas/New Years 9 miles, this trip 7 miles. I don't have much in terms of thrilling speed or times; the main goal was to get the mileage in. It took me just over 1 hour to swim 2 miles. I have to go really slow to not feel the lack-of-oxygen burn. Other than my 1easy 1 mile day, I would do 3600 yards as 600 warm up, then 3000 left in blocks of 500 or 1000 sets. I did work on my pushoffs a bit, now that I am swimming the 500 free, the goal is to swim as little of it as possible but going as efficiently while not actually doing the swim bits. So if I can get my hips and body aligned really good, then it makes a noticable difference in the distance on my pushoff and breakouts. That's one less line to have to swim!

Next up: 13 hour drive back to Dallas! Two weeks of very busy work to the end of my fiscal year 03/31. South Central Zones is on the mega zone meet weekend across the US 04-05 to 04-07. Once all those meet results are up, i'll know about where I stand for the year.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. South Central Zone Events Decided!

by , March 5th, 2013 at 11:00 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I entered the meet! Set your faces to stun!

500 free (5:40)
    200 back (2:19)
    100 free (1:00) possible splt
    50 back (29.3)

200 free (2:05)
    100 back (1:02.5)
    50 free (24.50)
    200 IM (2:45?) possible 50 fly split

Time to try something new! If PWB can swim 25's, then I can do a 500!!!! I have no idea what I can do. I last swam the 500 in April 2002 and the 200 free in May, 1995! Can you beleive it has been that long since a real 200 free? Notice I end with 2 x 50's at the end of each day. I reserve the right to skip a bunch of stuff. But i'm really curious what I can do in the 500. I don't swim short course, but for SCM, I can easily hold 1:20 base in workout for a 400. I probably can't unless i'm just about puking to hold a 1:15 - that is super tough. Because a 2:30 in SCM is a strong swim. So maybe I could average a 1:17.5 for a very strong SCM 400 free in workout. Not sure what that converts to for a 500? I think 1:10's in SCY? That puts me at a 5:50 in workout.
    Categories
    Uncategorized