View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. All good sprinting!

by , June 28th, 2013 at 04:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I was much more strategic with my set choices!

Last night I went to the dryland workout.
    Today I swam SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

Warmup
    about 600 mixed

KICK w/fins 5 rounds:
    50 moderate 1:00
    2 x 25 blast on :35
    alternated free/back kick, held 15-16's

50/100/150/200/200/150/100/50 on :45 base pull
    ===>no, of course not!
    not on interval, but within the time for this set:
    4 x 50 with fins
    #1-3 5 seconds at the 25 - 30,28,28
    #4 straight 50 - 29

Swim 5 rounds:
    2 x 50 on :45, 100 on 1:30
    ===>no. did exactly 1/2 of the set on same interval so...
    2 x 25 from dives, 50 recovery
    fly/free/back/free/breast - swam around lanemates, so no times on the 25's.

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excellento! So I basically did:

10 x 25 fast kick with fins
    4 x 50 fast 50 frees broken/straight
    10 x 25 fast 25's from dives stroke/free

I made great effort to give everything extra punch today!

++++++++++++++++++++++

That's it! Tomorrow massage and maybe a bonus swim. I go on vacation all of next week, so who knows what I will do?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. More 50 free feedback

by , June 27th, 2013 at 03:49 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    All SCM, Baylor as usual

Between last blog and now, I did 2 x 50 frees and went 29 on both, perhaps 28 high on one of them. Coach watched my last one and totally started me late, so a big discussion between coach and lanemates on how much time to "give back' to me. Regardless, it is disappointing to not actually see the 29. It totally sucks to have a coach say takeyourmarkgo! That is not one word, thank you very much.

Pointers:
    1. I looked strong! This is not typical.
    2. I had my head buried! Yes, I think I was even tucking my chin! That needs immediate correction.
    3. My shoulders and head were plowing through the water. Yes, I felt at one point, I am so low in the water and my shoulders are plankton feeding....

Part of it is how tired I am, but also I feel so heavy in the water. And really tight all over. Bloated, too. Like an accordian past it's recommended PSI level.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today we did 25's. W did

2 sets, 1 pull :45 and 1 swim :40
    12 x 25's
    3 5 7 9 10 11 12 fast
    I held 16's on the pull and 15-16 on the swims
    I did like the last 4; they were quite challenging.
    I have a long way to go on these. I felt like I was "barely hanging on" instead of embracing the last 4. As much as it was hurting me, I knew it was still my competitive advantage and hurting everyone else more.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I think i'm doing too much filler bits. One of the sets was 6 x 100's and then 300 this or that, and really, I should have been doing starts or turns only. I was so confused on the interval and completely swimming into oblivion. I'll have to really watch out for anything that even whiffs of possible filler bit material. I should doubt even 50 sets unless they are on 2 min or more. Yes, that's it! I should doubt everything to give me the confidence to do nothing so I can swim faster. I feel too broken down now, and just limping my way along with no improvement.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Very humbling 4 x 50's stroke

by , June 20th, 2013 at 05:37 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Wowie, I should have rested today but I wasn't disciplined enough to do my own thing. I went to workout and here's the damage:

SCM, Baylor Fitness center

400 warm up

9 x 50 stroke/swim 1:00
    ==> no; back w/fins drills

200 kick
    ==>no, goofed off

4 x 125 on 2:15
    75 fl/ba/br; 50 free
    ==>no, I did them as 75's; two each IM/back
    last back was 1:01 which is slow. yikes! I was doing 57-58 just earlier this week/ast week, and that was at the 100! the IM bits were equally bad - I could do sub 1:00 but today only mustered a 1:04!!

200 kick
    ==>no, goofed off again

4 x 75 on 1:30
    suppose to be fl/ba/br
    ==>no. I did them as
    75 free easy
    25 fl/50 free
    50 fly/25 free
    75 fly - 1:00 which was actually pretty good for how I feel now. Although in my primest form (circa 2010) I could do :52 on a 75 fly.

4 x 200 pull on 3:00?
    ==>NO!!!! I did 4 x 50 IM order from a start/dive on same interval

Here is where I know I need work! Rarely do I actually do the 4 x50's all out, and considering they are my main events, I guess I need to start doing this set more!

50 fly 35 (ouch!)
    50 back 38 (yikes!)
    50 breast 42 (ok, not too bad)
    50 free 30 flat (this is pretty good)

I'm glad I did the 4 x 50's stroke as it really shows how not 4x 50 trained I am. However, I am sort of disappointed i didn't do a recovery day today. I do solemnly swear to do nothing tomorrow. Except maybe yoga/pilates. And next week, i'm totally going to swim way faster than these times. They suck!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 4 x 100 backstrokes

by , June 19th, 2013 at 03:19 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    i went to swim practice today!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

350 warm up

300 pull
    ==>no, I kicked 250 w/fins. sort of goofed off

8 x 50 on 1:00
    kick/swim, swim kick

10 x 50 pull
    ==no. 5 x 25's fast fly from a dive; easy swim back, rest every other 50.

Main set:
    Four times thru:
    3 x 50 on :50 or :45's
    100 fast 1:30 to 1:20
    ==>I did the 4 x 100's fast, and swam easy in between
    1:22, 20, 18, 17

12 x 50 variables

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The 100's back were quite strong. The interval was too fast for me to do all 3 x 50's and have enough recovery for punchy 100's, so I bagged the 50's and made big effort on the 100's. Those are solid times but i'd like to get even faster. I'm in the very fast backstroke time zone, but still off modest freestyle times, where i'd like to be, and that's pushing 1:12 on the last one with this much emphasis. Lots of room for improvement!

Still doing the adult fitness class! It is the surrogate for conditioning, so that I can focus mostly on speed in the pool.

Next up: backstroke drills and specific backstroke strength. I'll probably do some rotation drills, focusing on connecting the body and core strength to keep alignment. Also - starts! Will play around more with start position and continue nestle plunging in the meantime.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 4 x 50 frees

by , June 15th, 2013 at 10:50 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I had lots of time to do everything I wanted! The girls spent the day with grandma so I:

1. Did 1/2 hour yoga; 12/ hour pilates with ring;
    2. Got a 1 hour massage;
    3. Went Swimming!
    4. Did 1 hour swim bench, power tower, and mat work; plus resistance stretching.

I went swimming and tried to focus on what to do to better my 4 x 50's, 50 free, and/or 100/200 back. Since I was on my own today, I decided to focus on the 50 free.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    400 warm up
    4 x 25 on :40 with whiffle balls;
    4 x 25 on :40 with parachute.

16 x 25's on :45
    variable sprints 4 each stroke

50 easy

4x 50 free with a dive on 5:00
    2 x easy free in between
    last one extra 1 minute
    Never saw 29, but lots of hang time to the 31 on #1 and #4.

Easy 100

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought this day was very productive. Cut all the fat out and really focused on the 4 x 50's. I didn't go that fast, but it's a good start. I had to really mentally bear down, and not go easy because I knew i'd be doing 4 instead of just 1 50. I was not happy with breathing 2 or 3 times on the 2nd 25's. I was still out of breath and so that's something to work on.

I would like to get to where no 50 is over 30.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. New crossfitness class

by , June 12th, 2013 at 03:05 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Long time no blogging! I've been so busy with end of year school stuff and work that I haven't been on USMS.org very much lately. I am so glad it is the summer and I can get in some good training!

My girls quit karate, so I took over the balance of their annual pre-paid dues and now I am doing the adult cross training class on Tues/Thurs nights until the end of the year. YIKES! That's a lot of prepaid classes!! No, actually I really like it! It's 1 hour but we often go overtime to about 1:20. In fact, I like it so much i'll probably keep it up!!!

I must say, I started in great shape due to P90X and Insanity. Of course, one can always improve. I want to be able to do pull ups on bars where you have to bend your knee. No cheaty kicks. I cannot even do ONE right now!!!

Swimming-wise i'm not as consistent with exactly what to do each week, but manage to get in good sets. Yesterday I swam on my own and made a point of doing a fast 50 off the blocks. It felt as good as ever, which isn't great but I suppose you have to go through mediocre purgatory before really getting that awesome fine tuning. I went 29veryflatlongsecondto30 but it was still 29didn'tsee28. I would like to get to 28's as consistently as I can ho-hum-am-I-swimming-today-yes-i-suppose-i-will get up and 28sty with no fanfare. If I 28'd it now, it would be like, is anyone around? did you see that? Wasn't I awesome? (SCM)

I am quite happy with my backstroking. In fact, i've decided that my main events will be:

4 x 50's
    100 IM
    100/200 back

The really nice thing about these events are when you think about what you do in workouts. Mostly sprint bits, IMs, heavier sprints on the 50 free, and any conditioning set is...backstroke! That way, I can totally avoid doing sets like 8 x 100's freestyle. I just do 'em backstroke!

No plans to race this summer. I really don't like LCM so I see no reason to do it. I will try to swim meets in SCM as much as I can, but it always conflicts with local USA SCY meets. I'd like to get some backstroke USA times in, and all my times are getting stale and I should enter some meets and built up my arsenal SWIMS times to at least within a 2 year range.
    Categories
    Uncategorized