View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. How much is just genes?

by , July 29th, 2013 at 10:35 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I was fascinated by the book review of The Sports Gene by David Epstein in this past weekend's WSJ (c7). I do certainly believe a big reason I can swim as fast as I do is not because of training, but because of my genes.<br><br>What would really be nice to know, kind of like how every woman would like to know the absolute drop dead date at which her reproductive sell-by date is over (That sounded so Jim Thortonian), is exactly what am I doing that is a waste of my time - that is, what is it in my genes that no additional training helps at all. And also, what things could I be doing that gives the greatest percentage improvement?&nbsp;<br><br>Until then, I suppose i'll just keep doing what I am doing now. Which is even less, given there might only be a 50% chance that what I am doing is going to be better than what I was born with. &nbsp;<br><br>For example, I was out of the water for an entire week, but yesterday I still posted a 30 in a 50 from a dive. So being out a week didn't hurt or help me. I was very happy about that, since it just reinforced my belief that my genes enable me to be lazy and squander my talent.<br><br>My sister says, how can you be 10 seconds faster than me in a 50 free??? And I say, how can the elite swimmers be 5 seconds faster than me in a 50 free (LCM)???? Partly genes, partly focused training, but the real issue is - how do you know what element is the genes, and what are the components you actually have to train?

<br>++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br><br>Great Wolf Lodge was excellent! I made "gold" status, which seems to mean that you get a welcome plate of goodies and a NOON checkout - which is really a great deal. You have to go 5 times, but i'm not sure that means 5 times to the same GWL or what.&nbsp;
    Categories
    Uncategorized