View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. Sunday sprint day, 08/28/11

by , August 28th, 2011 at 07:54 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Another great workout! The pool was again very crowded today.

LCM, SMU outdoor pool
    Bobby Patten sprint; Lianna McStravick distance

300 warm up

Transition set I:
    12 x 50 swim
    3 rounds of 4
    1:00
    :55
    :50
    :45

Transition set II:
    300 pull
    ==> no. went to diving well and did 3 running dives with breakouts.

Sprint / Kick Set I:
    12 x 50 same intervals as above
    fins, 12.5 fast then easy

Sprint / Kick Set II:
    6 x 100 on 2:20
    1st and last 15 meters of each 50 fast
    use fins if you have them

Recovery Set:
    4 x 50 swim no equipment on 1:00

DIVE 50!

Easy 50

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Commentary: 29.1 is mucho grando better than last week! A very solid time! Stuck to my strategy of resting 3 heats and then going in the last and 4th heat. What a difference 3 extra minutes make. I had a strong finish.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I got a massage (Massage Envy). Then I went to Baylor but alas, no Sunday paper!! Today would have been a good multiple insert haul - Red Plum, Smart Source, AND a P&G coupon insert.

I lifted weights for slightly over 1 hour.
    My plan this week:

Sunday - sprint swim/massage/Baylor weights
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - swim
    Wednesday - off or light vasa day
    Thursday - swim
    Friday - swim or vasa day (to Colorado!)
    Sat/Sun/Mon Labor day - "off" in Colorado!

A bit loaded during the week, since I don't plan on doing anything in Colorado. We are intent on conquering the beginner level trail called "Lily Pad" (could also be called Lily Pond). We didn't quite make it last time. I suppose you have to first conquer Lily Pad before conquering Mt. Everset.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Michelle's Random Tip on Making the Most of a Bring-Your-Own-Sidedish Party:

If you are not a very good cook like me, it is always a bit stressful to figure out what to bring. I find it is just better to buy pre-made, and get something GOOD. Not a crappy veggie platter or the cheapy pepperoni & cheese plates. There will already be 3 others of each brought by someone else. Usually a young bachelor.

Now, it might be racial profiling, but if I bring anything asian, or asian-inspired, then all of a sudden everything thinks it's something good just 'cause I brought it. It's like when I yell, this has good fung shei! And even though I have no idea what I am talking about, and I meant it as a joke, everyone seems to think I am serious and feel the harmony of furniture placement. Folks, it still amazes me how people fall for that line when I say it!

So if you are of German descent, or Italian, or Greek, etc...bring something inspired by your heritage, even if you bought it pre-made!

If it is a large party, like DAMM's 30th anniversary party will be, and it is a come & go type venue, I suggest arriving 1/2 hour LATE. but no later than 1 1/2 hours past the initial start time. You want to arrive at the OPTIMAL time. That is when most of the food has arrived (along with the accompanying friend who brought it), but not so late that the good stuff is all gone. And in the event you are a young bachelor reading my blog and arriving with your veggie platter, you can quickly hide it on the table with all the other stuff, and only with the minimal amount of people will it register that you brought a staple crappy item for the buffet spread. I shoud say bachelorette, since that is me I am talking about, sans a few decades, heh heh!

I am thinking some gourmet spring rolls with do nicely on the buffet table........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fine tune workout, Sat 08/27/11

by , August 27th, 2011 at 10:10 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own; I felt I needed to fine tune without anyone pushing interval or speed on me.

Warm up:
    500 free/back/free/breast/free

Kicky set:
    8 x 25 kick with shoes - all strong
    8 x 25 kick regular odd fast
    8 x 25 kick with fins alt back/fly

Emphasis set:
    2 times thru, start from the middle of the pool, emphasis is on turns

Relaxing set:
    4 x 50 IM order drill/swim

The End
    Yesterday I did about 30 minutes of resistance stretching/regular stretching.

And also yesterday, an example of how I periodically fall off the bandwagon, but balance it out with good eating other days: I was in a super junk food mood, so I had 2 bowls of big puffy cheetos, 1/2 bag of Swedish goldfish, 6 gourmet malted milkballs, and about 10 hard coffee candies for dinner. It was a total junk food meal. I feel so re-set and my normal self after doing that. Sometimes you just need a total junk food fix and nothing else will do. Just don't do it the night before your big swim meet!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today was the grand opening of the Lakewood Dojo. I took my girls to karate class and it was fun to see a lot of the other families. Kind of like going to a masters polar bear New Years Day swim and seeing everyone at practice. That evening, I took Helen back for the party. And this is where it's important to read above what I ate on Friday night, so you wouldn't be mislead in wondering how I could pass up on all that free food at the party.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thursday 08/25/11 Workout

by , August 25th, 2011 at 03:21 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Another great day for the pile.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon workout
    Billy Glasstetter coached

Warm up
    supposed to be
    200 swim/200 kick/200 pull
    ==> 400 warm up

Main Set
    3 times through:
    4 x 50 drill/swim IM order
    100 easy
    100 IM fast ==> 100 fly instead
    (1:19, 1:17 and 1:15 fly)

50 easy

6 x 50 kick
    3 on :60
    3 on :55

3 x 250 pull descend (no)
    ==> goofed around with my fins, 3 x 150

bonus for me:
    2 x dives + breakouts

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    That was very solid. I did an easy vasa trainer day yesterday, just as planned, so I wasn't too worn out today. Tomorrow is a flex day, so I will see how I feel and either swim, lift, or do nothing!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sent in my meet entry for the MAC East Valley Invite SCM meet 09/24-25/11.

http://www.azlmsc.org/eventFlyers/20...r-Template.pdf

I entered:
    Sat: 100 free/50 free/100 back
    Sun: 200 free/100 fly/50 back/50 fly

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Michelle's random tip on accumulating American Airlines miles:

I usually discard all sorts of junk mail from Citibank wanting me to open another account for some miles. So I was at first skeptical of the offer on my existing account that I could earn 3 miles per dollar spent through 11/30/11. They also gave me a $20.00 gift card for doin' nothing. (I spent it at Toys R Us). So of course I signed up for that!

Next I signed up for the AAdvantage Shopping. If you click through their website to a bunch of other websites and buy, you get whatever the miles multiplier is (usually 3 miles per dollar) plus if I do it during the time I get my 3 miles on my card, that's like, a good amount of miles. You multi-dip if you buy American Airlines gift certificates; the multiplier is 3x. I think i'm going to see if I can prepay a year of karate for my girls and a year of Kumon in the next couple of days. Maybe even go to annual billing at Baylor. Then buy up a bunch of AA gift cards, which I will use anyway. So let's just do the math on AA gift cards:

3 x $250 => annual pilgrimmage to PIT to see my parents;
    1 x $250 =>at least one trip to AZ
    1 x $250 xmas gift to my mother in law
    So that's 5 x $250 = $1,250.00
    (excludes service fee, round to $15.00)

1,250 x 3 mileage multipler (MM) = 3750 miles
    1,250 x 3 citicard multiplier (CM) = 3750 miles
    1,200 annual karate fee x CM = 3,600 miles
    2,640 annual Kumon x CM = 7,920 miles
    1,000 annual Baylor Fee x CM = 3,000 miles
    Total miles 22,020 miles, which is almost a free ticket. Is my calculation off? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

But the main point is that since I fly American most of the time except to Denver, CO, then it makes sense to always buy the gift certs and get the 3x mileage multiplier and at least 4x (the 4th being when I use my citicard and just get the dollar for dollar miles). Oh yeah, and then you get the miles for the flight, right????
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tuesday stroke day 08/23/11

by , August 23rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Whazuuuup!

Took yesterday "off" but really was as busy and productive as ever!

Here is the workout today. Tues/Thurs are stroke days.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Billy Glasstetter on deck

400 warm up

Transition set I:
    6 x 125's
    75 kick/25 drill
    (alternated free/back kick and free/back drill)

Transition set II:
    4 x 200 pull on 3:00
    ==> no.
    ==>4 x 100 swim with paddles

I was so disappointed that I lost my pull strap. I don't know when or where; I haven't used it in awhile and did one of those take-everything-out-of-your-swim-bag and even then look forelornly into the empty bag, look inside the shoes, look inside the flippers, and still no strap. But somehow I have 5 swim caps. I am incredibly bummed out about it.

Main set:
    20 x 50's on 1:00
    5 rounds of 4
    1, 3, 5 IM
    2, 4 recovery free

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I felt really tired today! But I really focused on the details and still went pretty fast on the 3 sets of IM 50s.

Yesterday was a big day - the first day of school! And this year, both my girls are at the same school (William B. Travis TAG Magnet) in 4th and 5th grade! Hooray! No more wheel-squealing across town to make 2 pickups!

Next up: takin' tomorrow off from swimming. Will probably do light drylands. My plan is to swim Sun/Tues/Thurs and one flex day this week. I did drylands on Sun, light on Wed, and either one of the free introductory classes at karate on Saturday (for the grand opening of the new DOJO in Lakewood, Dallas, TX); or another flex day for drylands. Just something in the not-swimming category.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sunday sprint day 08/21/11

by , August 21st, 2011 at 05:14 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today was again Sunday sprint/distance day!

LCM, SMU outdoor pool

Coaches:
    Distance lanes 5-8: Lianna McStravick
    Sprint lanes 1-4: Bobby Patten

Warm up:

Transition set I:
    8 x 50's 25 kick/25 swim

Transition set II:
    200/150/100/50 pull :50 base
    ==> NO!
    Went to the diving well and did
    6 x Running Dives with Breakout

Main set:
    8 x 100's on 2:30 with fins
    12.5 kick/12.5 fast swim/25 easy
    reverse order on 2nd 50

Easy 100

50 sprint from the blocks
    30.6 ouch!

Easy 50

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This was a great workout. I was so glad I bagged the garbage pull, and instead worked on dives + breakout. Given that the D+BO is 1/3 of my 50 race, I think it is well worth replacing that set with actual dive work. I can only do these running starts at SMU.

I really liked the 8 x 100's. The 2nd 50 is much harder than it looks on paper! It's easy to start out as gangbusters, quite a different thing to do a fast 12/5 then another 12.5 kick UW, all with very little breathing! I focused on staying mentally tough and kicking fast, hard, and no breathers to the wall.

I was disgusted with myself on the 50 free at the end. Not because I went a slow time, but because I waffled between waiting until the last heat and instead got up in the first heat, right after that main set. And, I was thinking I should have asked my friend Scott to go in the same (later) heat and race head to head. I knew better but didn't do anything about it, and this day, that opportunity is gone.

From now on, I am going to pay just as much attention to what heat and against whom (who?) I swim in those last sprints. An extra 5 minutes and getting pumped with your bestest/most compatible racing lineup is just as key to staying focused on what type of sets to get in during a workout. I'm excited for next Sunday!

+++++++++++++++++++++
    But in promising news, I scurried to Baylor Fitness Center after dropping Claire off at her playdate. It was a mad rush to get to the one free Sunday paper in the ladies lounge for the coupon insert. I was completely deflated when I walked in and saw a lady looking throught it! But, I decided all is right with the world after a trip to the real ladies room, and decided to check one more time - maybe she wouldn't take the coupons that I really wanted. So I went back out, and she had put it down!

Yours truly is the 2-time Champion Coupon Insert Swiper at Baylor Fitness Center!!!

And even though I wasn't even planning on working out, I did an entire dry land circuit to work off all the fat bits from my rib eye steak!!!!!!!! yeah!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Vasa Trainer day!

by , August 19th, 2011 at 05:43 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I was not in the mood to swim yesterday or today after 2 hard workouts. But I was in the mood to do a full routine on my vasa!

I decided to re-read the Vasa Manual. I had gotten into a rut with only a few selected exercises besides the traditional freestyle and fly arms. Did you know there are about 80 pages of exercises you can do on the vasa machine?????

I have a kickplate and so I did a bunch of leg exercises like:

Squats
    Plyometric squats
    Single leg with arm movement squats
    side squats
    calve raises
    track starts

These were so awesome. Taking the advice to not go past 90 degree angle works wonders!

They have ab exericses/shoulder excercises where you essentiall sit facing front or side saddle and pull different ways, like:

Torso twist
    Cross body shoulder raises
    cross cable bend
    side saddle twist forehand & backhand!
    pull ups/chin ups
    super ab crunches
    biceps curl
    oblique exericses

A full arm and core workout!

And of course I did the traditional
    freestyle pull
    and
    butterfly pull

I probably should also read the page How to Get on and Off your Vasa every so often as well, for obvious reasons too embarrassing to write about. A near face-plant was not on my training agenda for the day, heh heh!

I think I will get the ankle straps (for additional leg exercises) and the weight bracket so I can add additional weights. I would rather do power/strength work with less reps, and not use the vasa for endurance.

+++++++++++++++++++
    Next up: Swim tomorrow on my own! TBD; either a light workout with targeted sets, or a free swim day with the girls.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Today's Workout

by , August 17th, 2011 at 03:01 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I got to workout late again today.

Jim Montgomery on Deck

Missed the 500 warmup

8 x 50 kick on 1 min
    repeat twice:
    12 1/2 fast
    25 fast
    37 1/2 fast
    50 fast

7 x 100's
    3 on 1:30
    1 easy on 1:45
    3 on 1:20 (held around 12-13's)

What! That wasn't the main set? Crap!

Main set:
    3 times through
    150 on 2:15
    100 on 1:30
    50 fast on 1:30
    Was tired today and no zing to my sprint! Held solid 33 high to 34's on the fast

300 easy pull (no)
    ==> goofed around with my fins, about 150

2 times through
    75 on 1:15
    50 on :50
    25 fast (I don't get my 25 times)

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I really don't have anything to say except it was a solid effort but I know for sure I am not swimming tomorrow. I don't even want to think about swimming for the next 24 hours. I'll do my vasa and other drylands at home tomorrow. I'll take Friday off now that I am thinking about it. Most likely the next swim will be on Saturday, and i'll probably do fine-tune work on my own.

We are going to Colorado over Labor Day weekend. I am going to carry on all my stuff. Frontier is awesome. We'll probably do another hike.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Back from Vacation!

by , August 16th, 2011 at 03:12 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    HOORAY! We are back from AZ!

The highlight excursion of our trip was a jaunt from Scottsdale back to my sis's house in Chandler so we could "regroup" and watch TIVO'd swimming on TV and do laundry. And of course hang out at Lifetime Fitness!

In the meantime my husband:
    1. Washed all the sheets!
    2. Did laundry!
    3. Washed my car AND filled it up with gas! Although he took out my BeeGees album for some of his music. Yeck!
    4. Bought groceries!
    5. A special treat for me - chips and dip!

And now:

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR NEVER, EVER TO CHECK IN MY JEWELRY AGAIN. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE LOOSING YOUR LUGGAGE TO HAVE IT SPILL OUT HOW MUCH YOUR WEDDING RING, ENGAGEMENT RING, AND 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY NECKLACE COST UNTIL YOU LOSE YOUR LUGGAGE AND REALIZE YOU ARE $17,000 SHORT OF THE MAX REIMBURSEMENT. AND THAT'S NOT EVEN INCLUDING MY DIRTY UNDERWEAR.

NEXT UP: RESEARCH RIDER ON HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE.

I must say, I have the greatest husband in the world. I didn't say "person", because depending on who you are, he's either wonderful or a complete jerk. For instance, you can always count on him to be the most vocal going thru TSA or getting irate with service in a restaurant. Any restaurant. But he's always been extra kind to me! When the luggage mishap happenned, he was so careful to yell at everyone except for me. No blame whatsoever against yours truly, except the following comments:

1. "We should get insurance" (not the you stupid idiot, why didn't YOU get insurance! Or the quintesential rhetorical question, How could you lose your jewelry!!!) and;
    2. "Well, jewelry was meant to be worn. It makes no sense to have it if you never wear it."

and for everyone else:

1. "SOMEONE IN BAGGAGE CLAIM STOLE IT!" to anyone that would listen and;
    2. "I THINK WE SHOULD CALL THE POLICE!" I admit that was a bit embarrassing and at that point, all I could think of was that this guy wouldn't make the baggage handler's day, but we also probably wouldn't make the top 10 of Baggage Wars, either.

Well, the saga came to a wimper at the end. AA delivered to our office and jewelry AND dirty undewear made it back. No one apparently wants semi-hersheys whipped kids underwear, either. When does that end, anyway?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, for more interesting things: today's workout!

Coach Jenn Christensen on deck

500 warm up
    (talked with Bobby on deck; only did about 200)

8 x 50 kick on 1 min
    1 each stroke twice around

12 x 75
    3 x fly/free/fly on 1:20 (held 1:00)
    3 x back/free/back on 1:20 (descend 1:08 to 1:02)
    3 x br/free/br on 1:30 (easy back/free/back)
    3 x all free on 1:20 (held 56 to 54)

6 x 200 pull
    3 on 3:00
    3 on 2:50 (no!)
    ==> 3 x 150 kick with fins descend to 2:00
    ==> 3 x 100 kick with fins descend to 1:13

easy 50

The End
    I was tired but didn't feel too bad! I'm not sure I am actually getting faster at kicking, maybe just getting used to the fins. Anyway, still attempting to go swim speed on the fin kicking. I was dilgent about stretching while on vacation, so I think that really helped!

PS - I did more of the workout on my back/with fins because I forgot my goggles.

Next Up: I might be able to go the Mesa SCM meet in late September!!!

Updated August 16th, 2011 at 03:27 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Workouts & Highlights of Vacation - so far

by , August 14th, 2011 at 05:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    We are having a great time in AZ!

I swam 2 "workouts" that I made my sister do with me.

SCM, Lifetime Fitness Center
    Somewhere in Tempe? Close to her place in Chandler. Next to the Ikea.

Day "One"

400 warmup

8 x 50 kick/swim

6 x 75 kick/drill/swim

8 x 25 kick drills

50 easy

The End

Day "Two"

Warm up:
    200 swim
    100 kick
    100 drill
    100 kick

8 x 50 kick/swim and swim/kick

12 x 25 as 4 rounds of:
    kick drill
    easy swim
    reverse catch up drill
    easy swim

200 choice pull/swim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    We are going to Fogo de Chao tonight! It's going to be our last blow-out meal of the vacation!

I am completely enamoured with chowsh's Lifetime Fitness Club. It is only $55 a month (but not racquetball and climbing wall). However, as choosy mothers like me know, it's all about the childcare! And here....IT'S FREE!!!!! You have no idea what a value that is, until you have to pay $3.50 per hour for 2 girls! I used to pay 2 hours for each girl, 4x per week in addition to the gym fee! Plus, they could only take 1 or 2 kids under 12 months, depending on if they had enough staff. Chowsh's place is awesome. They take a crapload of kids in their kids club! And their indoor and outdoor pools are awesome for family swim. Slides, waterfalls, and cascading mushrooms (albeit in the pee zone)....!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Truly the last workout before vacation!

by , August 10th, 2011 at 04:18 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray! I got to do the workout today!
    Helen had 4th grade orientation and Claire also attended to help out. My husband picked them up, so I got to noon workout after all!

Jim Montgomery on deck

Warm up:
    200 swim/50 kick
    200 swim/50 kick

Transition set:
    4 x 100's
    kick/swim/drill/swim

Garbage Yardage portion:
    3 x 200 pull on 2:50
    (I swam these)

Main Set:

Three times through:

150 smooth on 2:10
    50 fast on 1:00
    100 smooth on 1:25
    50 smooth on :50
    easy 50

Resentfully held just under 40 pace on the smooth; felt awesome, fast, and in my comfort zone of sprinting on the fast ones, 33-35's.

Everyone thought this was a really tough set. We had an interesting lane today, which is why it was so tough. I was the only sprinter, so I was huffing and puffing to stay in my place on the 150/100 and totally resenting how fast everyone was doing those (I could just hear Rich A's words...most people swim the slow too fast and the fast too slow....yes, exactly). But most everyone else thought the 50's were tough. The hardest part were the 100's smooth, 'cause no one was going smooth and I was just ready to explode at the pace of the lane. The good thing was enough drop off occurred so I ended up leading the last set, and no one seemed to mind when I took more rest, much more rest and encouraged everyone to go double-blast-o as a tradeoff!

++++++++++++++++++++++

Off to Phoenix on vacation tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Last workout before vacation!

by , August 9th, 2011 at 05:13 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    There is no motivation like the I'm-Going-On-Vacation-So-I'd-Better-Work-It-Today motivation!

Lianna McStravick on deck
    Tues & Thurs are IM theme days

Missed warm up

6 x 75's
    Fly/back/breast
    25 kick/25 drill/25 swim

200 pull (swam it smooth)
    4 x 100 on 1:30 (fin kick 1:21 to 1:17)
    200 strong (2:27 regular swim - that's really good for me!)

Since we didn't kick yesterday, I decided to kick a bit in today's workout. 4 x 100's kick with fins on back, held 1:21 to 1:17

10 x 100's on 2 minutes
    1 easy
    1 your least favorite stroke (back: 1:25ish)
    1 easy
    2 your best stroke (fly: both on 1:21)
    1 easy
    3 IM (kicked on back instead; 1:17 1:16 1:16)
    1 easy

4 x 50 back/free recovery

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I felt pretty good! It is amazing what this old girl can do when she's not all bloated. And knowing I won't be swimming a workout until I come back from AZ, I worked extra hard! Really worked my turns on the 100 flys. I did two in a row!!! Awesome job, if I do say so myself!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You can stop reading here if nothing other than my swimming interests you. But for anyone else, here is what I ate/intend to eat today!

Coffee, Folgers tea-bag large cup with creamer;
    Strawberry greek yogurt cup

Big glass of water
    Granola bar knock off
    More water

Central Market's Dinner for 2, split 4 ways for each of the Agee family! I think it's some sort of beef dish.

More birthday cake and ice cream;
    More blueberries before they go bad;
    Milk and water
    and maybe another swig of OJ from the carton if no one is looking.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Setting up for Fall 2011 season

by , August 8th, 2011 at 06:56 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Stupid draft option! I can't figure out how to work it and then actually post. Or did I delete today's entry?

Steve Barnicoat on deck

300 warm up

12 x 50 25 kick/25 free on 55

300 pull, no lapping allowed
    (we started with 6 in the lane)

Main Set Part I:
    10 x 100's
    3 on 1:25
    3 on 1:35
    3 on 1:20
    easy 100

I swam as smooth as I could on the first 6, then really worked the 3 x 1:20's and held 1:12.5 on average. That was like, eyeballs rolling hard, given you have no extra rest before the fast ones.

300 pull, no lapping allowed
    (we down to 5 lanemates at this point)

Main Set Part II:
    10 x 50's done as:
    6 on 45
    1 easy on ???
    3 on 40 held 35 and under
    (lane finished with 4 people)

Easy 50

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That was way more intensity and yardage than I wanted to do! But, when the lanes are completely full up, there is no option but to go blasto with everyone else. I did make a very good effort every 3rd turn. It didn't make me any slower, probably faster, but a very different feel and increased effort and concentration/discipline throughout practice. Worked every turn and every finish on the last 10 x 50's.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    In equally exciting news, yours truly had the greatest meal at Texas de Brazil. I skipped every chicken and pork option, including the sausage, in order to make room for all that beef and one gratuitious lamb chop. But it is the simple things in life that are also so enjoyable, like a bowl of white rice to clean my palate between meats! And bonus! Sitting next to Helen, I got all her FAT BITS!!!

Updated August 8th, 2011 at 07:03 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. End of season for the 50 LCM free

by , August 7th, 2011 at 01:10 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray! I had a great swim today, if I do say so myself!!! And this is my blog, so I can say just about anything PG-13 rated!

Here is my time!

As Meatloaf says, 2/3 ain't bad, and yours truly was certainly appreciating that fact today!
    1. And most important: showing up? Check!
    2. Feeling bloated? Why, no, not today!
    3. Feeling good/rested? No, but who cares!

And for everyone's edification, heh heh! Actually, probably only my sister cares (or has the patience to hear me say it over and over) - all my times from this summer!

By date:
    04/29 28.30
    05/14 28.32
    05/20 28.70
    05/22 tricked ya! it's my birthday! turned 43
    06/03 28.42
    06/17 28.32
    07/08 28.33
    07/26 28.39 prelim
    07/26 28.28 finals
    08/07 28.29

And by time, fastest to slowest:

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Things that I did well:

1. SHOWIN' UP and racing when you're "not ready". I think the best thing I did was to race that 50 as often as I could, and there were plenty of opportunities this summer. Regardless of what was happening personally/professionally, I thought that I would work on the "critical 5 minutes", those 5 minutes behind the blocks of self talk. You don't need to be in any sort of physical condition to do that. But you have to "train" yourself to be ready for any event, any time! If you wait until you're ready, you'll never be ready.

2. Have a positive, can-do attitude. YEP! All smiles here.

3. Stay realistic, and not get discouraged in the "short term". One of the things I knew would be different this summer, in addition to the usual grind of summer, was that work would be super tough, time consuming, and incredibly stressful. There are times when you simply can't have everything you want - not all at once. You can't have the professional respect (or the $$ for that matter) unless you are really good at it, and same for swimming. The latter simply had to "give" a bit for this summer. There are many, many seasons left in the tank or me, so I am not discouraged that i'm at 28.2-28.3 instead of at 27.7-27.9 like I was last year.
    4. Experimented with breathing, timing, other subtle elements of my races. I've raced so much that I don't have any trouble with making my breathing pattern, So I thought this summer is an excellent time to work things within my race - just see what works or not, experiment!! Sometimes 3 dolphins, depth of dive, when to activate on the dive, very slight change of timing in arms, kick, etc. For me, the saying "more of the same is the same" is so true. I won't improve unless I also make some changes, because I certainly know myself, and i'm not going to train any harder AT THE SAME THINGS, nor any longer.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Things I can do differently:

1. I am re-thinking how much "race pace" I really need. I've looked at my winter calander between 10/01 and 12/17. I can do a swim meet every weekend except 10/15 and 11/26. I'll probably enter an average of 3 events per meet. I think attempting it twice with racing on the weekends was too much on my joints. I will probably do burst sprints to 15 m and sprint-but-not-race pace when that window opens up. Between 08/22 to 10/01, i'll probably do race pace a target of 3 times within that period.

2. Expect the unexpected, and account for it in your training. There was never that one perfect race. Always, xyz very good but at least one thing that was obvious to work on - whether the start, finish, break out, swimming low and tired (wide arm swing). And especially in long course, having that mind of steel into the wall. If the coach says, you were heading for 27 into the wall, and then touch in 28.2, that is a huge warning right there that you simply didn't charge into the wall at the finish. Regardless of what anyone else does at practice, I need to charge, charge, charge!!!! And not in a body-splatting motion, more like an arrow with a turbo engine!

3. Become a better athlete. Simply put, I need to get stronger, faster, more agile, better reflexes, all of that. I asked the coaches what was the biggest differences between me and the next level of USA girls, and for me, that's a huge stairstep to national level. They are just so much FASTER. Why, I asked? What can I do to narrow the spread? The biggest comment was leg strength. That's a matter of fact. The art is in how to get stronger, and there are two main elements: 1. I have to be NET stronger; and 2. Strength can only be measured by the blend of speed AND the cost of that speed. For instance, deep squats are simply out. It hurts my joints too much. Nearly every leg excercise I have to modify. And working underwaters and kicking harder are great, but you have to train your entire system so that when you breakout, you haven't unloaded your machine guns of silver bullets to get that far only to collapse like a deflated balloon.

But it will be fun to think about elements to add and modify my workouts in the upcoming weeks!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. "Twas the night before my 9th 50 free..."

by , August 6th, 2011 at 08:37 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Tomorrow will be a record 9x50 LCM frees in one season! I'm excited to race this one! But equally excited to be done and I can do other things, like organize my pantry for my growing stockpile and clear out the girls closets. It is time for the Kindergarten age clothes to finally be purged.

On my own today:

hooray! got the end lane again! was in a panic at first, walking out on deck and seeing one end lane but two that were doubled up. then relaxed as I noticed they were lovebirds sharing lanes. Whew! No water walkers in sight, so yours truly commands in the deep lane again! such are the stresses of life! and the minor moments of victory!

400 warm up

6 x 50 kick/swim

100 easy

4 x 75 drill/swim/swim

50 easy

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Still feeling very tired, but no way to avoid it. Let's just see what I can do tomorrow!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Companion post, Phast Times Part II

by , August 4th, 2011 at 04:41 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    And here are the last 2 pages.

You gotta give Chris Phelan a big thumbs up. First, anyone that wants to write anything about me in any publication (G rated), hey, i'm all for it! Even though many inaccuracies and some spelling mistakes, you gotta give him credit for trying to put all those times and courses together. The most important thing was that he got facts about Monroeville and the Day of the Dead right!

PS - if you want to read the entire monthly magazine, go and get your own subscription for only $19.00 a year and read all about swim/bike/run in the Dallas area! I am not going to scan all 14 pages! Great underground paper and you'd probably know a few of the names each edition!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  16. Swim for Distance Month is OVER!!!

by , August 4th, 2011 at 03:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray! Swim for Distance month is OVER!!!!
    I decided to do the workout today! Where is everyone? I guess either on vacation or swimming outdoors with the new practice times.

Billy Glasstetter coached

400 warm up

6 x 75 kick

50 easy

8 x 50 IM stroke/free

6 x 100 Odd IM fast; even free recovery

4 x 200 pull (no)
    =>instead, 8 x 50 on 1:15
    kick with fins, to the 15m each way UW.

2 x dive + breakout to the 15ish; swim back

The End

That was fun! Nice to do most of the workout. Still modified the pull. Only had so much time, so chose to practice my breath control + breakout + kick.

Might have an edit here later.
    Yes, and here it is. PDF pages of The Phast Times News for July 2011 all about me. Last 2 pages to come shortly. Can't figure out how to attach together, since pdf size is limited.

Updated August 4th, 2011 at 04:38 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  17. Only loosening up today

by , August 3rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Another easy day in the water. Limited on energy and time today!

I am really stressed out in a receivor/trustee-of-a-trust case that is outside my usual appointments. Never a dull moment! But my husband says we are lucky to have every billable hour billed, and at my age, it is the right age to always be on the "short list" for special appointments. The key is to know which ones are good margin business. We always joke that being a bankruptcy trustee is the world's second oldest profession - someone has to die before they add anyone else to the panel.

Back to the water:
    Jim Montgomery was coaching the noon workout, but I swam on my own.

400 warm up
    100 kick
    started 4 x 25 swim easy, but somehow I lost count and did 6 or 8. So then I just kept doing some more 25s, bobs, and then got out.
    25 minutes total
    light stretching

The End

Here is the link for the swim meet this weekend. Most of the fastest swimmers are at nationals or are done after Sectionals. Notice Brigette Heuer is swimming! It will be good to see her.

http://www.rockwallaquatics.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Easy swims into last meet

by , August 2nd, 2011 at 02:08 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own.

500 warm up
    free back free breast/fly free

100 kick board
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I lost count after 3 and got mixed up on odds/evens, so around the 4th I knew I was off when I was counting my kick as evens.

Stretching on deck

At this point, I am going to just be as rested as I can possibly be, with complete disregard to meterage, # days swum, speed, etc.

I heard a rumor that this A/BB Champs meet is going to be SCY in prelims due to the number of entries. That would be totally fun! I swim on Sunday. We shall see!

The girls and my husband are going to see the Circus. They go every year! Then we are going to Texas de Brazil for dinner. Claire loves that place. It's her birthday!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 28.39 and 28.28 for the pile!

by , July 30th, 2011 at 11:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Drumroll please!

28.39 prelims
    28.28 finals

Well, at least I did my season best in finals! Whew! I was next to the heat winner and thought I really did bad until I looked up. Respectable time. Nothing great. At least I looked good on internet TV!

A bit of a spruce goose dive, the right arm swing is a function of the "collapsing" of my left stroke underwater and other general collapsing problems when I am tired. But I can tell it was so much better than prelims. Which just goes to show an extra 4 hours rest was critical - I never swim better in finals (as a masters swimmer, I pride myself on excellent prelim swims), usually 2-3 tenths worse.

It's at the 1:34 mark, right after the women's 1500 and I am in the first (D) final heat, lane 6, silver cap and goggles in finals.

http://ibn.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?id=211E5EA6D6

I was very tired. Usually I can win to the 25, and then hang on. Today, I could barely get to count 6 (12 strokes) before I was gutting it out.

Why am I so tired?
    Why am I still collapsing?
    Why am I so bloated?
    Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions?

Strategy for next week: If I felt this tired, even after taking it easy in the water, then when in doubt, rest more! So for this week, i'm only going to swim twice and go really easy. Then just show up next Sunday for the meet!

In other news, see me & the girls on Kennywood youtube!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8jk5L_tmA&list=UUOkALHLGU74o"]‪Kennywood Park Roller Coasters‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Last taper workout

by , July 28th, 2011 at 04:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Swam on my own

Yeah! I got the coveted end lane in the deep!

400 warm up
    4 x 25 underwaters
    100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

6 x 50 on 1 min
    25 kick on back/25 swim
    held 43 43 42 42 42 42

50 easy

4 x 25 variables; last one from a dive

easy 100

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++

As usual, I don't pay too much attention to the meterage, just swim what seems right and leave it at that.

I have my creditors' meeting tomorrow, but a relatively light docket. I will be really, really tired, but there is always a handicap, and it's not like it's a surprise.

And geez, that's exactly why I swim only the 50 in LCM!!!!

You gotta fit the events around your life, not your life around your events!

And besides, I already have top ten times in every event from the 50 to 1500, all IMs and every stroke. The only events I don't have top tens in are the 200 breast and 200 back. I have plenty of years left to swim those! And i'm certainly in no rush!

+++++++++++++++++++++
    For your sleepless nights, keep reading. Would you like to see "where I am"?

*At a mininum, 28.49 which is Sectionals cuts; i'd be disappointed if I didn't go at least that fast. Plus i've been under that 5 out of the 6 times I swam it at local meets.

Between 28.0 and 28.39 is also acceptable, I wouldn't be disappointed in the swim, but I would be disappointed I didn't rise to the occasion and I paid $125 for hotel and approx $50 in gas to get a time I could get for essential drive-around-town gas and $3.50 plus my $1.00 team surcharge at any local meet.

27.99 or less is a very strong time. Would be very happy with it. "Breaking the barrier".

27.73 is my recent best (and also a kneeskin time). I really think I can grunt, strain, and make underwater faces while knashing my teeth and clawing my way to the finsh to get to this time, even without training. What I coin, "Pulling a Michelle Chow". You do it on simply the belief that you can, and you do enough of the right things to get to that time.

27.59 - yet another benchmark. It's the AAAA USA cut and would just about be my lifetime best masters time (circa 1994!).

27.29 Not sure why this number sticks out in my mind. But here it is. Maybe the midpoint from the above time and the next one. Read on....

26.99 Probably not, but why not? There is no goal too far out to put yourself out there for. Huh? Did that even make sense? Well, forget processing that sentence. Just focus on the time. If you never think that far, you're less likely to ever reach it.

26.79 2011 Winter Nationals

26.71 My lifetime best (Dec 1986) at a then-1988 Olympic Trials qualifying time. Top 25 Americans list that year. I guess it was a light year if I made the list.

26.59 2011 Summer Nationals

26.39 2012 Olympic Trials

So, there you have it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast