View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. Companion post, Phast Times Part II

by , August 4th, 2011 at 04:41 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    And here are the last 2 pages.

You gotta give Chris Phelan a big thumbs up. First, anyone that wants to write anything about me in any publication (G rated), hey, i'm all for it! Even though many inaccuracies and some spelling mistakes, you gotta give him credit for trying to put all those times and courses together. The most important thing was that he got facts about Monroeville and the Day of the Dead right!

PS - if you want to read the entire monthly magazine, go and get your own subscription for only $19.00 a year and read all about swim/bike/run in the Dallas area! I am not going to scan all 14 pages! Great underground paper and you'd probably know a few of the names each edition!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  2. Swim for Distance Month is OVER!!!

by , August 4th, 2011 at 03:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray! Swim for Distance month is OVER!!!!
    I decided to do the workout today! Where is everyone? I guess either on vacation or swimming outdoors with the new practice times.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Billy Glasstetter coached

400 warm up

6 x 75 kick

50 easy

8 x 50 IM stroke/free

6 x 100 Odd IM fast; even free recovery

4 x 200 pull (no)
    =>instead, 8 x 50 on 1:15
    kick with fins, to the 15m each way UW.

2 x dive + breakout to the 15ish; swim back

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was fun! Nice to do most of the workout. Still modified the pull. Only had so much time, so chose to practice my breath control + breakout + kick.

Might have an edit here later.
    Yes, and here it is. PDF pages of The Phast Times News for July 2011 all about me. Last 2 pages to come shortly. Can't figure out how to attach together, since pdf size is limited.

Updated August 4th, 2011 at 04:38 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  3. Only loosening up today

by , August 3rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Another easy day in the water. Limited on energy and time today!

I am really stressed out in a receivor/trustee-of-a-trust case that is outside my usual appointments. Never a dull moment! But my husband says we are lucky to have every billable hour billed, and at my age, it is the right age to always be on the "short list" for special appointments. The key is to know which ones are good margin business. We always joke that being a bankruptcy trustee is the world's second oldest profession - someone has to die before they add anyone else to the panel.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Back to the water:
    Jim Montgomery was coaching the noon workout, but I swam on my own.

400 warm up
    100 kick
    started 4 x 25 swim easy, but somehow I lost count and did 6 or 8. So then I just kept doing some more 25s, bobs, and then got out.
    25 minutes total
    light stretching

The End

Here is the link for the swim meet this weekend. Most of the fastest swimmers are at nationals or are done after Sectionals. Notice Brigette Heuer is swimming! It will be good to see her.

http://www.rockwallaquatics.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Easy swims into last meet

by , August 2nd, 2011 at 02:08 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own.

500 warm up
    free back free breast/fly free

100 kick board
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim
    100 kick back
    100 swim

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I lost count after 3 and got mixed up on odds/evens, so around the 4th I knew I was off when I was counting my kick as evens.

Stretching on deck

At this point, I am going to just be as rested as I can possibly be, with complete disregard to meterage, # days swum, speed, etc.

I heard a rumor that this A/BB Champs meet is going to be SCY in prelims due to the number of entries. That would be totally fun! I swim on Sunday. We shall see!

The girls and my husband are going to see the Circus. They go every year! Then we are going to Texas de Brazil for dinner. Claire loves that place. It's her birthday!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 28.39 and 28.28 for the pile!

by , July 30th, 2011 at 11:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Drumroll please!

28.39 prelims
    28.28 finals

Well, at least I did my season best in finals! Whew! I was next to the heat winner and thought I really did bad until I looked up. Respectable time. Nothing great. At least I looked good on internet TV!

A bit of a spruce goose dive, the right arm swing is a function of the "collapsing" of my left stroke underwater and other general collapsing problems when I am tired. But I can tell it was so much better than prelims. Which just goes to show an extra 4 hours rest was critical - I never swim better in finals (as a masters swimmer, I pride myself on excellent prelim swims), usually 2-3 tenths worse.

It's at the 1:34 mark, right after the women's 1500 and I am in the first (D) final heat, lane 6, silver cap and goggles in finals.

http://ibn.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?id=211E5EA6D6

I was very tired. Usually I can win to the 25, and then hang on. Today, I could barely get to count 6 (12 strokes) before I was gutting it out.

Why am I so tired?
    Why am I still collapsing?
    Why am I so bloated?
    Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions?

Strategy for next week: If I felt this tired, even after taking it easy in the water, then when in doubt, rest more! So for this week, i'm only going to swim twice and go really easy. Then just show up next Sunday for the meet!

In other news, see me & the girls on Kennywood youtube!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8jk5L_tmA&list=UUOkALHLGU74o"]‪Kennywood Park Roller Coasters‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Last taper workout

by , July 28th, 2011 at 04:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Swam on my own

Yeah! I got the coveted end lane in the deep!

400 warm up
    4 x 25 underwaters
    100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

6 x 50 on 1 min
    25 kick on back/25 swim
    held 43 43 42 42 42 42

50 easy

4 x 25 variables; last one from a dive

easy 100

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++

As usual, I don't pay too much attention to the meterage, just swim what seems right and leave it at that.

I have my creditors' meeting tomorrow, but a relatively light docket. I will be really, really tired, but there is always a handicap, and it's not like it's a surprise.

And geez, that's exactly why I swim only the 50 in LCM!!!!

You gotta fit the events around your life, not your life around your events!

And besides, I already have top ten times in every event from the 50 to 1500, all IMs and every stroke. The only events I don't have top tens in are the 200 breast and 200 back. I have plenty of years left to swim those! And i'm certainly in no rush!

+++++++++++++++++++++
    For your sleepless nights, keep reading. Would you like to see "where I am"?

*At a mininum, 28.49 which is Sectionals cuts; i'd be disappointed if I didn't go at least that fast. Plus i've been under that 5 out of the 6 times I swam it at local meets.

Between 28.0 and 28.39 is also acceptable, I wouldn't be disappointed in the swim, but I would be disappointed I didn't rise to the occasion and I paid $125 for hotel and approx $50 in gas to get a time I could get for essential drive-around-town gas and $3.50 plus my $1.00 team surcharge at any local meet.

27.99 or less is a very strong time. Would be very happy with it. "Breaking the barrier".

27.73 is my recent best (and also a kneeskin time). I really think I can grunt, strain, and make underwater faces while knashing my teeth and clawing my way to the finsh to get to this time, even without training. What I coin, "Pulling a Michelle Chow". You do it on simply the belief that you can, and you do enough of the right things to get to that time.

27.59 - yet another benchmark. It's the AAAA USA cut and would just about be my lifetime best masters time (circa 1994!).

27.29 Not sure why this number sticks out in my mind. But here it is. Maybe the midpoint from the above time and the next one. Read on....

26.99 Probably not, but why not? There is no goal too far out to put yourself out there for. Huh? Did that even make sense? Well, forget processing that sentence. Just focus on the time. If you never think that far, you're less likely to ever reach it.

26.79 2011 Winter Nationals

26.71 My lifetime best (Dec 1986) at a then-1988 Olympic Trials qualifying time. Top 25 Americans list that year. I guess it was a light year if I made the list.

26.59 2011 Summer Nationals

26.39 2012 Olympic Trials

So, there you have it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Final stretch into Sectionals

by , July 27th, 2011 at 03:42 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Tough to swim on a full stomach! I ate lunch just before going, so whew it was tough to breath. And yours truly kept feeling that urge. heh heh.

SCM at Baylor on my own

But not before...I said Howdy-do's to everyone getting out of the noon workout.

Bonus! Jennifer Brooks swam at noon today; she's here for the summer doing her law school internship. I was nearly slobbering when I saw her and then learned she is hoping for a full time offer and wants to move back to Dallas and live in Lakewood, which is my neighborhood! I hope it all works out. I see my future training partner!!!! Well, one can hope.

And then back to being all-alone:

200 easy swim
    200 kick with fins
    200 easy swim
    8 x 25 underwaters
    200 easy swim with fins

100 on 1:30 (about 1:19)
    75 on 1:30 (about 59)
    50 on 1:30 (about 36)
    25 (16ish)
    easy 50

rest up a bit. ruminated about taking a bathroom break, but decided it would take too much effort to walk all the way over there..

100 on 1:30 (about 1:13)
    75 on 1:30 (about 56)
    50 on 1:30 (about 35)
    25 (15ish)
    easy 50

200 easy

Rush for the ladies room!

The End

Switching gears and goin' over to Facebook to friend Jen!

Not sure if I will swim tomorrow. Depends on if I want to take a shower or not.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Here's a link to the lame-o internet live stream of finals for Sectionals. For your sleepless nights, watch Tuesday's 800 finals. I think it's nearly 2 1/2 hours of misery. The only excitement was at the beginning when my USA coach walked in front of the camera. Downhill after that.

Real Time results, too. Could never find pysche sheets.

http://www.gulfswimming.org/meet_inf...0streaming.pdf
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 1/4 Vasa and The Golden Corral

by , July 26th, 2011 at 08:06 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I am taking the day off. I actually had to go and get a retirement card & present and that took up my 1 hour usually alloted for swimming.

+++++++++++++++++
    Very light Vasa
    and
    Dryland/Stetching
    about 30 minutes

+++++++++++++++++

In other exciting news to show how well-rounded I am, I am nearly over my couponing hobby and entering my buffet-searching hobby. After re-discovering the Golden Corral, and revelling in how cheap it is (and it's not very expensive, either, haha!), I had an epiphany that my girls are at the prime of their buffet years.

First, they are old enough to get the food themselves, make some healthy choices, and best of all, they like to get me a plate! Plus they eat more than say, at 5 or 6, when as soon as I start my 2nd plate, they whine about being done, bored, or have to go to the bathroom.

Life doesn't get much better than a relaxed multi-plate buffet when you are in total synch with your buffet mates, and they offer to get you another plate every so often. Well, maybe it does, if you go to a swim meet beforehand.

And the fall-out-of-your-chair price of $4.99 with drink included for 12 and unders...we will be back!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Fort inspired taper workout

by , July 25th, 2011 at 03:01 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Even though I didn't really train this summer, I see no reason to skip the taper!

And thank goodness Swim for Distance is almost over. I can't tell you how hard I have to work, yelling over and over that i'm not doing the set! Pretend like i'm not here! and sometimes fighting for last in the lane is tougher than just leading it.

Steve Barnicoat coaching

Warmup:
    300 swim
    200 kick

12 x 50 on 1 min
    kick/swim with fins

The given set:

==> A flat out no.
    Here's me:

4 x 25 % builds
    100 easy

4 x 25 variables
    50 easy

2 x dive 12 1/2 sprints
    easy swim in between

The End for me

something else for the group after that, but I got out (45 mins) and did light stretching. Extra long shower since yours truly got to the showers before all the noon workout groups piled in!

+++++++++++++++++++
    In other on-the-edge-of-your seat news, I actually went clothes shopping yesterday at Kohl's! I got 2 casual outfits plus some acceessories. That place is so cheap it's ridiculous. I think I got hosed because I didn't do the late owl/early bird hour, but I did email sign up for some sort of discount, which was better than nothing!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday Sprint Day 07/24/11

by , July 24th, 2011 at 02:43 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Has it really been over 3 weeks of blogging! Here we are again, another split Sunday sprint/distance workout LCM at SMU!

But first: Yesterday, Sat 07/23
    Half of my vasa & dryland workout

Now, back to today:
    Coach Brian

3 x 200 warmup swim/kick/swim

4 x 100 25 kick/25 drill/50 swim

12 x 50's
    4 x 60 sec 12 1/2 fast
    4 x 55 sec 25 fast
    4 x 50 sec 37 1/2 fast

easy 100

6 x 50 on 1 min
    1-2 breath every 3
    3-4 breath every 5
    5-6 breath every 7

easy 100

3 x 50 fast on 2 min
    1 and 3 from a dive;
    2 from the wall
    32 free ??? fly 31 free

easy 150

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Today was a solid day. The fast 50's at the end were more like sprint/fast pace 100 than true race-pace 50s.

+++++++++++++++++++++
    I went shopping and now blogging to kill some time in order to avoid catching up to real time on TIVO for the swimming on TV.

++++++++++++++++++++
    Our annual Swim for Distance month always ends with the 2K/5K/10k. In recent years the 10k was dropped, but back on for this year as a relay! I remember, the two times I did the 10k, it was a rather light turn out! Well, this year, DAMM capped it to 16 relay entries, and are full-up. They will have FUN!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. A solid workout day!

by , July 22nd, 2011 at 06:18 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I felt great today! Not particularly strong, but overall quite solid.

Jim Montgomery on deck

400 warm up

3 times thru
    200 swim 100 kick on 5 min.
    2:38 2:32 2:31 on the 200's
    I did this set strong as my aerobic set. Plus always testing to make sure the old girl still has some conditioning.

Pull set: but not for me!

Instead ==>
    4 x 50 pull with strap; about 38-40
    3 x 50 strong fly 38 36 36 not very fast
    2 x 50 easy
    100 fast 1:07 great for me!

easy 50

2 x thru:
    200 moderate (I did 100 easy swim/flop)
    2 x 50 kick
    100 fast 1:09 (oops! caught Bill G in front of me); 1:07 high per Jim

50 easy

The End

++++++++++++++++++++
    Really reinforces the day off concept. I didn't feel that strong, but was ready to swim assertively and very strong 100's. Plus I really wanted to take a shower, so off to the club!

+++++++++++++++++++
    One week until Sectionals. I hear they did a roll call on the USA team for Sectional participants but I wasn't there. I think I get a team t-shirt!

+++++++++++++++++++
    In other promising news, there is an A/BB Championship meet at a good pool in 3 weeks. Rumor is that they expect it to be a big meet, so included language in the meet information that they could basically run prelims in any way - and I hear they might do 2 pools in SCY!!!! I may have to enter more events, in case it really is indeed SCY!

More on this exciting news later!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Mandatory Day off!

by , July 21st, 2011 at 12:17 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Now, don't laugh, but I think i've been working pretty hard lately! So i'm going to take the day off and rest!

The girls are at ASI gymnastics camp (where they don't do any gymnastics). The best part is that Braum's ice cream in en route. I see an adult size cone with Cherries Jubilee!!!

++++++++++++

Good luck to all my friends at South Central Zone Masters! Here is the webpage with roster, psyche sheet, etc:

http://www.wmst.net/calendar/usms-scz-lc-championships

SWIM FAST!!!!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Mini Sprint Day

by , July 20th, 2011 at 06:28 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    On my own, SCM Baylor Fitness Center
    The Lanes were nearly full, so I had to use a crappy shallow lane

500 warm up with fins

8 x 25 underwaters

4 x 75 25 kick/50 swim

50 easy

4 x 25 % build
    50 easy

4 x 25 variable fly
    50 easy

2 x 50 free from a dive
    31/31 I left late both times, gotta get my countdown down.

50 easy

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I was pretty tired today, swam very late.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I'm totally pissed at something that happened at work today. The general gripe is employees who phone it in, and think that just passing you a message is good enough, instead of actually following through.

Tonight: Dallas Summer Musicals - Guys and Dolls. I'm not that excited about it. We've had season tickets for so many years and each time my mother in law and I square off for who's going to be the first to say, "Let's not go". We usually only stay for the first 1/2. But for me, i'm about done after eating the buffet dinner. The meat carvers know me. And the only reason I renewed this year? The season tix holders next to us asked if I was going to renew, since they want our seats (we got really good seats, perfect for quick exit and leg room). That would be a YES, and NO, you can't have my seats! Do you know how many years it took to get them? Geez!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Basic loosen up swim day

by , July 19th, 2011 at 04:14 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Here's a noncontroversial blog post - well, maybe good for a big yawn!

Swam on my own.
    SCM at Baylor Fitness Center

500 warmup free/back/free/fly/free

8 x 25 underwaters

4 x 75 kick/drill/swim free/fly*

100 easy kick

4 x 50 pull with strap

4x 50 swim with fins

100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

2x dives, finish the 50

The End

++++++++++++++++++
    Just a miscellaneous easy day. *Lost my motivation after succesfully keeping the water walkers out of my lane.

++++++++++++++++
    My girls did good at All Stars. Just making it was the big deal. Claire got DQ'd in the 100 IM, but it was time - she'd squeeked by either barely legal or not getting caught, so it was a good wake up call.

Here is the link:
    http://www.teamunify.com/NewsShow.js...424&team=ntlac

+++++++++++++++
    Decided for sure to go to Sectionals instead of Zones. I'd have to swim really well in prelims to make finals.

My strategy: JUST RISE TO THE OCCASION! Not a bad strategy, if I do say so myself! I see no reason why I shouldn't occupy a slot in the top 32. It's not about who deserves it, it's who goes out and earns it! You gotta do it in prelims to earn a slot!!!

Meet info:
    http://www.gulfswimming.org/meet_inf...072711/ann.pdf

Last year's results:
    http://www.gulfswimming.org/meet_inf...onals_2010.pdf
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. What if your goggles snapped before OW?

by , July 19th, 2011 at 11:18 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Random thought for the day:

A fellow swimmer told me that one of our swimmers went to an open water swim. He was earmarked for superstar; could have ("could have, should have, would have") won, maybe.

His goggles snapped and broke right at the start. There was a staggered start, so he asked another swimmer, who was going in a later heat, and who he did not know, if he could borrow his goggles. The other swimmer said no. (As the story was told to me, the swimmer would have finished in time to give that guy his goggles back).

So he didn't swim.

++++++++++++++++++
    I said nothing at the time, but really wondered about it. What a shame to train and travel and then not even swim.

+++++++++++++++++
    Some swimmers blamed the other guy for not giving him a pair of goggles. HUH????? So blame another guy??????????????

++++++++++++++++++
    And what about the decision to swim or not? I can see it either way. If your goal was to go and WIN, and you were immediately out of the running, then maybe it's just not worth it to swim. But if you came all that way, then perhaps you'd just run back up to your OWN bag, get your OWN spare goggles, and then start at the back of the pack.

+++++++++++++++++
    This is interesting because it highlights the commonness of equipment failure - caps and goggles. Happens periodically, and could easily happen for any race. Your race!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sunday Sprint Day

by , July 17th, 2011 at 12:43 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today was the usual split lanes of distance and sprint workout.

Brian coached
    see our coaching staff here:
    http://www.damswim.com/pages/Coaches

LCM at SMU:
    300 warm up with fins
    3 x 100 kick
    8 x 50 drill odds, build evens

main set:
    4 x 25's variables
    1 fast 50 free
    150 easy

4 x 25's variables
    2 x 50 fast
    100 easy

4 x 25's variables
    3 x 50 fast
    50 easy

100 easy

4 x 100 pull (no)
    =>4 x 50 kick with shoes instead

Bonus: 1 dive with breakout

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Lots of people today. I committed to swimming fast to stay at the front of the lane to have clear water and clean intervals. I can't stand the corrupted intervals at the back of the lane. The 10 sets apart rule seems to break down and I can't stand someone going 3-5 behind on all-out sets. Geez! Who are you fooling??!!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    HOORAY! My mother-in-law is coming back today to pick up the dogs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Also: double up and doin' my Vasa today. Summer league All-Stars are tommorow so I will take the day off. I have a massage scheduled today as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Random couponing tip: In addition to using a binder for your coupons, keep one page at the top for "check out aisle" stuff, like candy, lighters, and all those random sorts of things. I got 4 free 3-Muskateer bars (2 x $.50-off-two coupons, doubled at Kroger, special price on selected candy bars was 2 for $1.00). There is nothing so tasty as a Couponing Victory Free Candy Bar!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Inaugural Race Day!

by , July 15th, 2011 at 03:30 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I decided to make it my Race Pace Day!

SCM at Baylor Fitness Center
    Brought my stopwatch, but no one around to time me.

300 fins
    200 kick
    100 swim

8 x 50 IM stroke/free

8 x 25 50%/60%/70%/80%
    100 easy

8 x 25 variables
    100 easy

4 x 50 from a dive on 4 minutes
    easy swim in between each

50 easy

The End.

+++++++++++++++++
    Commentary: The logistics aren't ideal to get someone to time you. So I "started" on the 57 - when the clock got to 57, i'd take my mark, pause, then go. Anyway, if I am consistent in the start, then I can gauge relative time this way.

I think a good goal is to go under 30's, if my first day was right at the 30 mark. I'll try to grab someone, anyone to time me with my stopwatch.

Here are my times:
    Recent years' range: SCM 27.2-28.1
    Lifetime best 1995 SCM 26.65 (former masters world record)

+++++++++++++++
    My girls did make all stars, see here:

http://www.teamunify.com/NewsShow.js...577&team=ntlac
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Kick Day

by , July 14th, 2011 at 06:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I decided to kick. A lot. Only.

Billy Glasstetter coached.

400 warm up with fins.

6 x 150's on ?? (no. a big no)
    =>6 x 100 kick with fins on back/tummy/sides

250; 100 strong/150 easy (no)
    =>2 x 50 fast kick with board

2 x 200; 100 strong/100 easy (no)
    => 4 x 50 fast kick with board

3 x 150; 100 strong/50 easy (no)
    =>6 x 25 with shoes; easy 50

4 x 100; fast 100's on 2min (you'd think, but no)
    =>4 x 25 with shoes kick on back

Easy 100 (why yes, I will)

Bonus for me:
    8 x 25 underwaters

About 1900 mostly kick. That's really good, if I do say so myself!

The End.

+++++++++++++++++++
    Random cooking tip: Fried rice can be the world's most complete food. Depends on what you make it with! I only eat white rice. No way no how on substituiting there. Add cubes of lean leftover steak or any meat. Cut your meat when cold or slightly frozen to get better bite size pieces. Use any veggies. I have frozen peas. Eggs. So the key is that is not ideal to use freshly made rice, unless you make it pretty dry. It will be too sticky and just mash if you try to stir fry with it right away. Best to use leftover rice. Also, you should use just enough rice as the "binding agent" instead of a huge mound of rice with bits of other stuff in it. Load up on the veggies or whatever else you have, and just use enough rice to keep it together. Use little cooking oil, since you will probably be adding sesame, hot chili oil for seasoning.

Then you can feel so good about what you ate, especially if you're getting back on the bandwagon, or intending to fall off of it....

++++++++++++++

We are watching my mother in law's dogs while she is visiting her daughter (my sister in law). The dogs pooped in my husband's office. Not the wipe-able entryway, or back hallway, or a discrete area. Right smack in his office.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Recovery workout

by , July 13th, 2011 at 03:11 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Back to the pool today!
    So....let's see, recap this week:

Sun: sprint workout + vasa at home
    Mon: nothing. My kid's summer league swim meet
    Tues: Big day at Court. Vasa at night.
    Wed: hey, that's today!

SCM at Baylor.
    Jim Montgomery on deck

Something for warm up. I dunno; late on deck.

Main set:
    3 x 300 moderate
    100 easy
    2 x 300 85%
    100 easy
    1 x 300 strong/fast
    100 easy

=> Was there ever any doubt?
    I can't recall the yardage. But during that entire set I:
    1. Used my snorkel; reverse catch up;
    2. Kick on my back with fins;
    3. Swam easy;
    4. Got out and watched my 50 free from last weekend. Jim was there to watch his son, so he filmed me as well!
    5. Yours truly actually did the entire last 300!

6 x 100 drafting in the lane
    Three in my lane, so I led on 2 and 5.

The End.

+++++++++++++++++
    Today was more of a recovery day. The given sets were a total bummer so I just swam around everyone.

+++++++++++++++++
    My girls' summer league champs were fun. There were 3 teams in our division (largest teams). We have to wait for results of the other 4 in order to see if they made All-Stars (roughly explained as the Top 16; actually the #1 from each of the 5 Divs, and then the fastest 11).

Here is the link:
    http://www.swimlac.org/NewsShow.jsp?...887&team=ntlac

They were in Division A.
    Claire & Helen Agee, 10& under girls.

Gooooooooo Agees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Sunday Sprint Workout

by , July 10th, 2011 at 09:44 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I went to the Sunday Sprint/Distance workout (pool split between you guessed it! Sprint workout and distance workout!).

500 warm up WITH FINS! I rarely wear fins, but today I just felt like it!

4 x 150 100 swim/50 kick
    15 sec rest, but we took more. no complaints from me!

8 x 50 on the 1:10
    25 strong/25 easy

200 recover - WITH FINS!

8 x 50 on the 1:30?
    25 fast/25 easy
    37.5 fast/12.5 easy
    50 fast
    50 easy
    round 1 free, round 2 fly

100 recover - WITH FINS!

8 x 50 on the 1:30
    odd fast
    even easy

The End.

+++++++++++++++++++
    To clarify for previous comments, my SCY MEET SEASON spans 6-8 weeks, ending by early to mid December. In that time, I can swim at least 5 USA meets and 2 USMS meets, and only one is a travel meet! That is bang for your training! I plan on a break after that.

I am focusing on the 50's and 100's. Mostly the 50 free, then the 100 fly/free. It's what I am going to race the most. If I go to the Chesapeake Pro Am again this year, it also makes the most sense to do 4 x 50 free sets - because of the shoot out (I tied for 10th in prelims last year; you have to make top 8). Plus, for our local masters meets, you are swimming 4 events in about 1 1/2 hours.

++++++++++++++++
    Congratulations to JEFF COMMINGS on qualifying for the 2012 Olympic Trials! My sister bought my tix and selected our hotel:

Element Omaha Midtown Crossing:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/elemen...ropertyID=3443
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast