View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. First meet free vs. Frequent Meet Punchchard?

by , November 15th, 2013 at 04:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    In North Texas, we have a "first meet free" ongoing promotion that our current President enacted when she took office. I don't disagree with it, as any promotion is a good thing to get people to participate.

But I wish there was also a frequent punchcard, honored by either NT LMSC or perhaps all the LMSCs within a zone, and then you get some prize at each award level, like a patch at 10 meets, a towel at 20 meets, a bag a 50 meets, and a knesskin at 100 meets! There would be a firm start date, such as 01/01/14 and then the punches go into effect. No retroactive punches.

The former only rewards the newbie, and there just aren't that many! How about giving me a reward for sticking around and registering USMS YOY since 1992! We don't get any prizes, and I just don't think someone who's never swum a meet should get something for free when I don't.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Meet Report!

by , November 14th, 2013 at 12:01 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Here is how I did at the local USA A meet:

50 free 25.3
    100 fly 1:02.2
    100 back 1:03.4

I was disappointed with the 50 free as I thought I could rather easily go under 25 and get a current season Sectionals cut (24.99). I have a current bonus cut (25.79) but on principle I like to get a current season time.

The fly was awesome! I haven't swum the 100 fly since 01/2011, so it's been a long time, and I had to relearn fly after a long break post-gall bladder surgery. They say you recover in about 6-8 weeks, but my guts felt like spilling out of my belly button for months afterwards, which is why I swam so much backstroke last year.

The back was just ok. I think I have much more in me, but my timing was off and so I was resigned to gutting it out at the end of the race.

I don't know my splits yet, but that will indicate the "quality" of the swims.

I don't think I had any mental obstacles, as I felt ready to go, even with various "handicaps". This always happens, so it didn't seem like a big deal to overcome all the Friday hurdles for the 50 free. But maybe it did affect me physically? I had a normal work week. I did normal drop off/pick up at school. I went to work. I ran errands. I helped Helen with her homework. I sat in Friday night traffic on the way to the meet. I swam in shallow pool, heat 1 lane 1 at 7:45pm for the 50 free. So maybe all those things did make me more tired than usual. Anyway, i'm looking forward to swimming the next USA meet in December!

Next up: DAMM SCM Masters meet! This one is going to be to just gut it out at 8AM in the morning for some USMS top ten times. I entered the 50 fly and 50 free, and they are back to back events. Also the 100 free just in case I want to get a split request, but that's back to back with the 50 back. And I threw in an entry for the 100 IM, since it's one price entry so you might as well enter 5 and see if you want to show up for that 100 IM at the end.

Here are my goal times:
    30.99 or better 50 fly
    27.99 or better 50 free
    27.99 or better 2nd chance 50 free
    32.99 or better 50 back
    1:14 or better 100 IM

I'll go about 95% on the fly and hope that's enough to get a top ten time. But I need to turn around in about 7 minutes for the 50 free and go sub 28 if possible. Then take a mini nap, hang out in the ladies room, take a hot shower, then another mini nap in 35 minutes to get up for the last 100free/50back/100 IM. I estimate i'll have to do all those 3 in about 25 minutes total.

Wish me luck!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. SPLASH FOR CA$H

by , October 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Having been gone so long, I decided to wait until I had a good time to report.

Rules are:
    $10 bucks paid to challenge swimmer if you make the goal time, within range
    $20 buck paid to coach if you are out of the range

My stated goal time: 28.9 SCM
    Coach's grace time: .5 spanning your goal time
    Range: 28.7 to 29.2

My time: 28.69

So technically, I was out of the range!
    Consider it a penalty for setting too modest a goal time by .01!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am going to swim our 1-day SCM meet, and the order of events totally sucks for 4 x 50ers. The fly/free and breast/back are back to back. So i'll do that anyway, and i've been "training" to go fast 50's in that order within 2 to 4 minutes. If 2 mins, then I typically do a 25/5sec/25. If longer, then I do a blast-o 50. I have been going 31/32 on the flys, and 29/30 on the frees; 40/41 on breast and 35/36 backs, so I think I can still muster a strong 2nd 50 for each pair in the meet. I'll probably also do the 100IM, and just gut it out with anything I have left. If I can do pretty solid 1:19 and under in workouts, I would say that's anywhere from 1:09 to 1:14 in a meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Maintaining as must as possible

by , October 8th, 2013 at 04:43 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hello! Long time no blog!

I've been trying to keep up the speed and peppy-ness even though i've been so busy and traveling for a wedding. I'm tired and just spent all the time. Anyway, I figure a fast 50 here and there is better for me that trying to do full workouts.

Today I went
    28.9 on the coach's watch. Nice it was under 29, but about 1 second off where i'd like to be on a coach's GO. I'd like to be 28.0 or better. I'd say today's time puts me at a mid to high 27 in a real race. Since I went 28.6LCM, I think that's about right. Also, my competitive advantage is SCM, since I train it year round!

I am happy to report that I am getting my fly back! I have been swimming fly with fins sometimes, and that seems to really help! I went 1:18 and 1:17 yesterday and today on a straight 100 fly, without completely killing myself. I think that's pretty good and would translate to about a 1:12 to 1:08, ranging from a strong but controlled swim to a gut-busting time if my life depended on it. Given that a 1:12 woudl make top ten, i'll lean towards 1:10 to 1:12.

Oddly, my back is totally sucky right now.

In breaststroke news, that wonderful double kick sensation is a reality, and totally no benefit of a doubt disqualifable. Not sure how I got into that habit, but I have decided to just brazenly do whatever my body is going to do, DQ be darned! I asked my coach to watch it and see if I could still pass as legal, and the consensus was no, not at all.

My first meet will be a USA meet Nov 8-10. I've entered the 50 free, 100 fly, and 100 back. The 50 free is on a Friday night, and hopefully i'll be able to go under 25.0 as I didn't break that last year!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Finally, some signs of life!

by , September 22nd, 2013 at 04:23 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I am finally actually almost unbelieveably feeling pretty good! You won't believe this is me posting, maybe someone hijacked my blog and posted in my place. Anyway, set your faces to stun!

On Friday, I got a haircut and an eyebrow wax. Then I had an awkward amount of time, too much hang around, so I decided to swim a quick sprint workout on my own. I went nearly exactly the same times as the week before, but my fly is finally starting to come back:

From the blocks:
    fly 32
    back 35 high
    breast 40
    free 29

then the team came in. I decided to stay for a bit and loosen up. But then, I stayed for the entire workout since I really liked the sprint sets! So I was actually in for a whopping 1 hour and 45 minutes!!!!

The main sets I liked were
    8 x 75's, 2 rounds
    fast/easy 50
    fast/easy/fast
    all easy
    all fast
    I did these IM w/o free

Then
    6 x 50's
    fast/easy
    easy/fast
    all fast
    I did these fly and/or breast

I'm bummed out I won't be racing until Nov. There there are too many choices over limited weekends! I have also decided that during the school year, drylands/vasa once a week would be good. I just can't do more without bumping into recovery days! So here's my plan:

Mon - strong/sprints
    Tues - strong/sprints
    Wed - easy swim or off
    Thurs - off; stretch only
    Fri - strong/sprints
    Sat - drylands/vasa
    Sun - easy swim or off
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. HOORAY! Back to SCM and the Routine!

by , September 14th, 2013 at 09:28 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray school has started, our new assistant is working out great, and Baylor is open again and hopefully things will settle into the noon workout routine again.

I've been quite tired but the good news is I don't feel like I am completely starting over again. Here are the highlight main sets from this week. Of course I am modifying most things, and it's all about the 4 x 50's!

4 rounds, 1 each stroke:

4 x 25's on :45
    fast
    37.5 fast
    12/5 fast
    pushoff + 4-6 strokes fast (which is actually at or past the 12/5)

then a fast 50 from the block

fly: 33
    back: 35 high
    breast: 40
    free: 29

I made myself do this set. For each set, the actual workout was 2 x 100 IMs, then a 200 IM descend the 200 IMs (3 sets). I stayed and did the 4th set as the free.

8 x 50's on 1:10
    Odd: Fast no-breath on last 12.5
    Evens: Fast 1 breath on last 25
    I did these all free

misc. bits then

8 x 50's on 1:10 again
    Odd: First fast no breath 12.5
    Even: First 25 fast 1 breath
    I did odds stroke and evens all free

This set I liked because there is no truth like the truth of speed play. It's one thing to plod along at 80%, but very different to get up and go go go, especially on the last bits.

I plan on swimming 3 USA meets in the Fall (Oct, Nov, Dec)
    our local DAMM SCM meet (11/16)
    and a very outside chance of a masters travel meet to Az for the Ron John, 11/23.

But I just don't know for sure. I may not feel like it. But I would like to visit my sister!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Without a swimming home!

by , August 26th, 2013 at 02:54 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    We are 1 week into the annual 2 week Baylor Fitness Center pool cleaning. It seems like forever. So in the meantime, i'm swimming LCM at SMU at evening and/or weekend practices.

It's hard to say whether I am swimming well or not. The sets are quite different and honestly I don't really feel any need to prove myself, swim fast, or do anything extra special. In fact, I am now swimming in lane 4 to avoid the awful group dynamic and so I am leading the lane. I estimate I put in 87.5% blended effort, and modify some, but not as much as i'd like. Just trying to get through the next week without losing conditioning, sprint mode, or feel for the water. But I am also very conscious that I am only "treading water" and not making any attempt to "train" or "further fine-tune".

I'm not sure how fast I am going. LCM just doesn't translate. Here are some sample times:

6 x 100's pull on 1:55 desc. by 3: Held low 1:20 to 1:13's
    50's pull on 1:00 held 36-28
    A few 50's strong 33 high
    100's kick - strong effort 1:18 with optimus fins; otherwise 45 ave per 50 on 150's kick.

So I don't think that's great, and i'm thinking the best thing to do is put on my TYR Burners and chase my swim times. Or wear my Speedo optimus fins and go my swim times.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. LCM Meet report!

by , August 4th, 2013 at 09:18 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray for me! I decided to enter the last local LCM USA-S meet because I didn't want to go all summer without racing. So even though I have barely swum any LCM, I decided to just go anyway.

100 back - 1:14.2
    This was a very good swim! I haven't swum LCM 100 back since 2007. I think it's my best time. I felt really good about this swim because I know I can do better. Rarely swim it, didn't swim LCM, had to swim in the slowest heat with my SCY time, so was all by my lonesome.

50 free: 28.6 (I think.)
    I was really happy about this. I didn't die until about the 42 mark - and that's amazing for me! I actually felt pretty good! It was a bit slow, but in line with what i've done the last year.

Next up:
    BRECKENRIDGE! That is the one time I go for mileage. I am trying to make the 50 mile club AFAP. But you can only count yardage you do at the Breck rec center. And I can only swim about 3600, which is 2 miles. So it will take awhile and several trips to rack up 25 times to the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. How much is just genes?

by , July 29th, 2013 at 11:35 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I was fascinated by the book review of The Sports Gene by David Epstein in this past weekend's WSJ (c7). I do certainly believe a big reason I can swim as fast as I do is not because of training, but because of my genes.<br><br>What would really be nice to know, kind of like how every woman would like to know the absolute drop dead date at which her reproductive sell-by date is over (That sounded so Jim Thortonian), is exactly what am I doing that is a waste of my time - that is, what is it in my genes that no additional training helps at all. And also, what things could I be doing that gives the greatest percentage improvement?&nbsp;<br><br>Until then, I suppose i'll just keep doing what I am doing now. Which is even less, given there might only be a 50% chance that what I am doing is going to be better than what I was born with. &nbsp;<br><br>For example, I was out of the water for an entire week, but yesterday I still posted a 30 in a 50 from a dive. So being out a week didn't hurt or help me. I was very happy about that, since it just reinforced my belief that my genes enable me to be lazy and squander my talent.<br><br>My sister says, how can you be 10 seconds faster than me in a 50 free??? And I say, how can the elite swimmers be 5 seconds faster than me in a 50 free (LCM)???? Partly genes, partly focused training, but the real issue is - how do you know what element is the genes, and what are the components you actually have to train?

<br>++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br><br>Great Wolf Lodge was excellent! I made "gold" status, which seems to mean that you get a welcome plate of goodies and a NOON checkout - which is really a great deal. You have to go 5 times, but i'm not sure that means 5 times to the same GWL or what.&nbsp;
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. All good sprinting!

by , June 28th, 2013 at 05:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I was much more strategic with my set choices!

Last night I went to the dryland workout.
    Today I swam SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

Warmup
    about 600 mixed

KICK w/fins 5 rounds:
    50 moderate 1:00
    2 x 25 blast on :35
    alternated free/back kick, held 15-16's

50/100/150/200/200/150/100/50 on :45 base pull
    ===>no, of course not!
    not on interval, but within the time for this set:
    4 x 50 with fins
    #1-3 5 seconds at the 25 - 30,28,28
    #4 straight 50 - 29

Swim 5 rounds:
    2 x 50 on :45, 100 on 1:30
    ===>no. did exactly 1/2 of the set on same interval so...
    2 x 25 from dives, 50 recovery
    fly/free/back/free/breast - swam around lanemates, so no times on the 25's.

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excellento! So I basically did:

10 x 25 fast kick with fins
    4 x 50 fast 50 frees broken/straight
    10 x 25 fast 25's from dives stroke/free

I made great effort to give everything extra punch today!

++++++++++++++++++++++

That's it! Tomorrow massage and maybe a bonus swim. I go on vacation all of next week, so who knows what I will do?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. More 50 free feedback

by , June 27th, 2013 at 04:49 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    All SCM, Baylor as usual

Between last blog and now, I did 2 x 50 frees and went 29 on both, perhaps 28 high on one of them. Coach watched my last one and totally started me late, so a big discussion between coach and lanemates on how much time to "give back' to me. Regardless, it is disappointing to not actually see the 29. It totally sucks to have a coach say takeyourmarkgo! That is not one word, thank you very much.

Pointers:
    1. I looked strong! This is not typical.
    2. I had my head buried! Yes, I think I was even tucking my chin! That needs immediate correction.
    3. My shoulders and head were plowing through the water. Yes, I felt at one point, I am so low in the water and my shoulders are plankton feeding....

Part of it is how tired I am, but also I feel so heavy in the water. And really tight all over. Bloated, too. Like an accordian past it's recommended PSI level.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today we did 25's. W did

2 sets, 1 pull :45 and 1 swim :40
    12 x 25's
    3 5 7 9 10 11 12 fast
    I held 16's on the pull and 15-16 on the swims
    I did like the last 4; they were quite challenging.
    I have a long way to go on these. I felt like I was "barely hanging on" instead of embracing the last 4. As much as it was hurting me, I knew it was still my competitive advantage and hurting everyone else more.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I think i'm doing too much filler bits. One of the sets was 6 x 100's and then 300 this or that, and really, I should have been doing starts or turns only. I was so confused on the interval and completely swimming into oblivion. I'll have to really watch out for anything that even whiffs of possible filler bit material. I should doubt even 50 sets unless they are on 2 min or more. Yes, that's it! I should doubt everything to give me the confidence to do nothing so I can swim faster. I feel too broken down now, and just limping my way along with no improvement.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Very humbling 4 x 50's stroke

by , June 20th, 2013 at 06:37 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Wowie, I should have rested today but I wasn't disciplined enough to do my own thing. I went to workout and here's the damage:

SCM, Baylor Fitness center

400 warm up

9 x 50 stroke/swim 1:00
    ==> no; back w/fins drills

200 kick
    ==>no, goofed off

4 x 125 on 2:15
    75 fl/ba/br; 50 free
    ==>no, I did them as 75's; two each IM/back
    last back was 1:01 which is slow. yikes! I was doing 57-58 just earlier this week/ast week, and that was at the 100! the IM bits were equally bad - I could do sub 1:00 but today only mustered a 1:04!!

200 kick
    ==>no, goofed off again

4 x 75 on 1:30
    suppose to be fl/ba/br
    ==>no. I did them as
    75 free easy
    25 fl/50 free
    50 fly/25 free
    75 fly - 1:00 which was actually pretty good for how I feel now. Although in my primest form (circa 2010) I could do :52 on a 75 fly.

4 x 200 pull on 3:00?
    ==>NO!!!! I did 4 x 50 IM order from a start/dive on same interval

Here is where I know I need work! Rarely do I actually do the 4 x50's all out, and considering they are my main events, I guess I need to start doing this set more!

50 fly 35 (ouch!)
    50 back 38 (yikes!)
    50 breast 42 (ok, not too bad)
    50 free 30 flat (this is pretty good)

I'm glad I did the 4 x 50's stroke as it really shows how not 4x 50 trained I am. However, I am sort of disappointed i didn't do a recovery day today. I do solemnly swear to do nothing tomorrow. Except maybe yoga/pilates. And next week, i'm totally going to swim way faster than these times. They suck!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 4 x 100 backstrokes

by , June 19th, 2013 at 04:19 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    i went to swim practice today!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

350 warm up

300 pull
    ==>no, I kicked 250 w/fins. sort of goofed off

8 x 50 on 1:00
    kick/swim, swim kick

10 x 50 pull
    ==no. 5 x 25's fast fly from a dive; easy swim back, rest every other 50.

Main set:
    Four times thru:
    3 x 50 on :50 or :45's
    100 fast 1:30 to 1:20
    ==>I did the 4 x 100's fast, and swam easy in between
    1:22, 20, 18, 17

12 x 50 variables

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The 100's back were quite strong. The interval was too fast for me to do all 3 x 50's and have enough recovery for punchy 100's, so I bagged the 50's and made big effort on the 100's. Those are solid times but i'd like to get even faster. I'm in the very fast backstroke time zone, but still off modest freestyle times, where i'd like to be, and that's pushing 1:12 on the last one with this much emphasis. Lots of room for improvement!

Still doing the adult fitness class! It is the surrogate for conditioning, so that I can focus mostly on speed in the pool.

Next up: backstroke drills and specific backstroke strength. I'll probably do some rotation drills, focusing on connecting the body and core strength to keep alignment. Also - starts! Will play around more with start position and continue nestle plunging in the meantime.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 4 x 50 frees

by , June 15th, 2013 at 11:50 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I had lots of time to do everything I wanted! The girls spent the day with grandma so I:

1. Did 1/2 hour yoga; 12/ hour pilates with ring;
    2. Got a 1 hour massage;
    3. Went Swimming!
    4. Did 1 hour swim bench, power tower, and mat work; plus resistance stretching.

I went swimming and tried to focus on what to do to better my 4 x 50's, 50 free, and/or 100/200 back. Since I was on my own today, I decided to focus on the 50 free.

400 warm up
    4 x 25 on :40 with whiffle balls;
    4 x 25 on :40 with parachute.

16 x 25's on :45
    variable sprints 4 each stroke

50 easy

4x 50 free with a dive on 5:00
    2 x easy free in between
    last one extra 1 minute
    Never saw 29, but lots of hang time to the 31 on #1 and #4.

Easy 100

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought this day was very productive. Cut all the fat out and really focused on the 4 x 50's. I didn't go that fast, but it's a good start. I had to really mentally bear down, and not go easy because I knew i'd be doing 4 instead of just 1 50. I was not happy with breathing 2 or 3 times on the 2nd 25's. I was still out of breath and so that's something to work on.

I would like to get to where no 50 is over 30.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. New crossfitness class

by , June 12th, 2013 at 04:05 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Long time no blogging! I've been so busy with end of year school stuff and work that I haven't been on USMS.org very much lately. I am so glad it is the summer and I can get in some good training!

My girls quit karate, so I took over the balance of their annual pre-paid dues and now I am doing the adult cross training class on Tues/Thurs nights until the end of the year. YIKES! That's a lot of prepaid classes!! No, actually I really like it! It's 1 hour but we often go overtime to about 1:20. In fact, I like it so much i'll probably keep it up!!!

I must say, I started in great shape due to P90X and Insanity. Of course, one can always improve. I want to be able to do pull ups on bars where you have to bend your knee. No cheaty kicks. I cannot even do ONE right now!!!

Swimming-wise i'm not as consistent with exactly what to do each week, but manage to get in good sets. Yesterday I swam on my own and made a point of doing a fast 50 off the blocks. It felt as good as ever, which isn't great but I suppose you have to go through mediocre purgatory before really getting that awesome fine tuning. I went 29veryflatlongsecondto30 but it was still 29didn'tsee28. I would like to get to 28's as consistently as I can ho-hum-am-I-swimming-today-yes-i-suppose-i-will get up and 28sty with no fanfare. If I 28'd it now, it would be like, is anyone around? did you see that? Wasn't I awesome? (SCM)

I am quite happy with my backstroking. In fact, i've decided that my main events will be:

4 x 50's
    100 IM
    100/200 back

The really nice thing about these events are when you think about what you do in workouts. Mostly sprint bits, IMs, heavier sprints on the 50 free, and any conditioning set is...backstroke! That way, I can totally avoid doing sets like 8 x 100's freestyle. I just do 'em backstroke!

No plans to race this summer. I really don't like LCM so I see no reason to do it. I will try to swim meets in SCM as much as I can, but it always conflicts with local USA SCY meets. I'd like to get some backstroke USA times in, and all my times are getting stale and I should enter some meets and built up my arsenal SWIMS times to at least within a 2 year range.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. A non-nationals blog entry

by , May 10th, 2013 at 11:02 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Great to read all the posts on those at nationals! I haven't been since 2008. The zones meets have been fun, robust competition, and nationals are just so late in the season.

I've been backstroking away.
    I'll skip the boring bits and go to the meat of the sets:

3 times through:
    4 x 50's on fast pace
    straight into
    200 fast
    intervals vary by lane.

Now, I find that my back is fast enough that if I moved down 1 lane, i'd be in the middle somewhere because the people at the back of each lane usually can't really make the intervals. So in a good way, it makes me just step up big time and og last in the fastest interval lane, and drop something at the end:

Me:
    3 x 50 on :45 (skip #4)
    150 fast

Held 38-42's
    then 2:08 2:05, 2:04

At first I was a bit disappointed I wasn't closer to the 2:00 mark, but then I can see the difference in this set. It's one thing to do easy bits and then a fast 150, but to do even the 3 x 50's with an extra :45 rest made it quite tough by the 150 anyway! I was happy I could pretty comfortably make the 3 x50's. I could make 4 x 50's, but that 4th would be a lung and gut busting swim. The harest part was turning around on the wall. That took up way too much energy. I'll have to get used to that an more efficiently turn/swivel around.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It has gotten really hard to do INSANITY along with swimming. INSANITY and the like are great, but they aren't designed for you to do "double duty" with the swim training. So i've decided to just do one or the other, and simply pick up the next INSANITY that is on the wall chart. I skip the recovery day ones, but work in a total day off. I'm almost half way through.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Broken 200 back set

by , April 29th, 2013 at 10:17 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Back indoors to SCM!

450 warmup. It was suppose to be a 500, but I just didn't feel like finishing.

12 x 50 on 1:00
    suppose to be kick, but I did
    1 kick on back;
    2 x kick w/board/swim by 25

Main set:
    200 easy on 3:30
    8 x 25 on :40

4 x 50 on 1:00

2 x 100 on 2:00

1 x 200

200 easy

This was a great 200 backstroke set!

18-19's
    38-39's
    1:20, 1:12
    2:45
    and did an easy 100 per every recovery 200.

That really took it out of me. I am not swimming with the team tomorrow. Maybe easy stuff on my own.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am really into these ROCKTELLA lolipops. They are sold in the mexican grocery store (Fiesta) but I can't find these ones at WMT. They have 4 chili layers and sour bubble gum in the middle. The only thing I don't like is they are perfectly round, which actually makes it hard for resting it, retainer-like, in your mouth so you have both hands free. And they are nice and big, so it looks dumb for a 44 year old woman to have it poking out the side of the cheek. But then I use my right hand to hold it, which is also my remote hand, and I have noticed I must be getting pre-carpal tunnel Rocktella remote syndrome in my right hand.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. LCM after months away!

by , April 28th, 2013 at 09:07 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I did a LCM workout! Finally went again this Sunday since it's back to sprinty stuff instead of the one size doesn't fit sprinters LCM of winter season.

warmup, maybe a 200

8 x 50 kick on 1:10
    held roughly 50s kicking backstroke no equipment.

3 rounds of
    4 x 50's, 100 easy
    :55 set 1, :50 set 2; :45 set 3
    I did them all backstoke, and actually made the 3rd set, whoopie for me!

4 rounds of
    50, 100, 50, 50 on :50 base; sprinting the last 50 of each round.
    I basically swam bits easy, skipped a lot, and then did 3 x fast 50's from a dive; held 32 to 30ish. maybe faster. but not sure so it was no slower than those times.

The End

Whoopie for me! I can still book it down the pike, albeit 1 ways!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. INSANITY and ho hum swimming now

by , April 25th, 2013 at 12:13 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I've started INSANITY!! I must say, P90X really helped me get into land-shape! I can tell because I can actually do the warmup bits (3 rounds total 12 mins) without dying. I am really bad at Level 2 drills, ski abs, and in-and-outs, but the last is probably so hard b/c it comes at the very bitter end of a series.

Swimming has been ok! I am doing some workouts on my own, because I didn't do quite as much pure sprinting this year and it showed. But my 200 back is a very strong top ten contender! A 2:20 has always made it and I am at 2:17.8!

Here's what I did yesterday:

warmup - maybe 250?

6 x 100 kick/swim
    ==No. I didn't feel like it. so i did 50's kick/swim. Then decided that was too much so put on my fins and went the same slow speed.

5 x 100 pull
    ===> no. put on my parachute and did 50s.

Main set:
    4 rounds of 4 x 50's and 200 easy
    Set 1: 50's on :40
    I had to do these free. Held 35-36

Set 2:50's on :50
    Did these backstroke! Held 39-42

Set 3: 50's on 1:00
    cheaty 50's- 25 easy free, 25 fast fly

Set 4: 50's on 1:10
    did 25 strong, broken 5 seconds, 25 fast. held 30-31.

The End
    I've been able to Insanity at night and still swim during the day. I think when school is out, I will try to lift lift lift meaning strength training. Maybe make it the cornerstone for a change. I think i'm just not strong enough. I need to make a really good effort to stick with it the entire summer!

I age up for meters this year! I turn 45 in May. It's nice to get into a new age group but nothing new since there are fast women, arguably more fast women in my new age group in my favorite events. But, if you aren't #1, who really cares if you are #2 or #10. I would like to do a serous SCM meet this year. 2 day format with lots-o-rest in between events and seasoned meet people who get all my splitsy requests.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Meet Report!

by , April 7th, 2013 at 07:52 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, here are my meet results!

500 free 5:49
    200 back 2:17.8
    50 free split 25.3
    50 back 29.5

50 free split 25.3
    100 back 1:02.6
    50 free 25.3
    50 fly split 28.3

Here are the full results:

http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/results/

Commentary: 500 free
    I'm really glad I swam this. It felt pretty good, which is probably why it wasn't super fast. At about the 75, I thought, now I see why people train for this. After the swim, I decided i would definately swim this from time to time. However, I don't feel compelled to train for it at all. That would be hours of work to drop 20 seconds. I'll take the 20 seconds and spend those hours doing sprinty stuff.

200 back
    Swim-o-the-meet! This may end up being my best contender in top tens! A very strong swim. Still need to get out faster!

50 free split #1:
    I think I am stuck in a rut. A time warp of 25.3's. I felt peppy but no strength. And it felt LONG, like that one extra second just takes it out of me. I'm sure I haven't done enough strength training and hours of sitting on the pool deck talking about my training.

50 back: Holly cow I can hardly believe I actually swam 4 events in one day. I was just trying not to SIT UP in the race I was pretty tired!

NEXT DAY!

200 free? No way! Time for another split request! I decided to tweak my stroke and went with a total 80's stroke. It felt so good, like an old friend. I was quite tired but tried to go fast anyway.

100 back: This one I wanted to do a good time. I started to really die at the end, but I was abl to gut, grunt, and just go to the end. A very solid time and definately a top tener.

50 free: This was fun to swim against my friend Laura Zook, formerly Glass, maiden name Holt. Kept the 80's crossover kick since I didn't have the strength to kick straight legs.

50 fly split: Ok! At this point I was going to bail, but with SO MANY scratches, yours truly was purely on a medal haul. Did the split, and it was not a natural swim at all. I haven't done much fly this year, since it still is a bit uncomforable in my belly button. I think he sewed me up funny. My belly button inside folds don't look the same anymore either. This I can tell when I clean out my belly button! But, back to the swim - oh yeah, so notice my splits that I scurried home in the last 50 free, thinking it may come down to that for a 1st place medal!

TOTAL HAUL: 7 gold medals and a 4th place in the 100 free (50 free split).

I think i've had a good time and did some great backstroking. But, i'll very likely go back to the 4 x 50's, as the base events.

I will now watch whatever I saved on DVR and eat an entire Godiva solid chocolate easter bunny, potato chips and dip, and coconut water. Tomorrow: INSANITY!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast