View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. 29 happy 29 sad

by , September 9th, 2012 at 03:41 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    LCM, SMU outdoor pool

400 warm up

12 x 50 on 1:00
    12.5 kick/easy swim
    25 kick/easy swim
    37.5 kick/easy swim
    repeat 4 times.

2 x 300 pull on 5:00
    ==> NO! went to diving well and did Modified Fort sprints: this was a sampler of her workout with speed work from the middle of the pool.
    3 rounds:
    "25" from a running start;
    turn around, scull slightly off wall, take 3 breaths, then
    "25" from a dead start back to the wall in 1 breath.
    I really liked this, but didn't have that much time. I need a lot of rest, and could only do 3 w/in the 10 minutes.

Rejoined the group....

10 x 50's on :50/1:20
    1st 50: make the interval;
    2nd 50: blasto first 25, easy 25.
    emphasis was on "back half" sprinting when you are not entirely fresh from that first 50.

Fast 50 on coach's watch

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I have no idea why I set my target times the way they are. I was very happy with a SCM 29 from a wall dive on Friday, yet today I did a bonus LCM 50 at the end of workout on coach's watch, went 29.7 (same as last week) and was disappointed. You would think I should be happier with the LCM 29, but for some reason I am quite disappointed.

Bobby said my head was too low on the first 1/3 and I was having to plow my way down the pike. I guess I should not dip so low but also not just raise my head. I was also pretty tired. I think I need to start doing the fast bits in the middle or at the beginning of workout when I am fresh, and then maybe a 2nd effort at the end. I was happy with the breathing (3) with the last coming right past the 12.5m line.

Next up: This week will try to get to SCM 28 in workout. If I can stay disciplined, maybe take 1 workout and do 4 x 50's on 10 min or so to attempt this aggressive goal. I'll also do some fly sprinty bits, continuing a long trek back to fly shape.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Recovery day but eeked out a good 50 free!

by , September 7th, 2012 at 03:22 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Blogging again!

I am utterly flabbergasted I actually went to 4 workouts in a row!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

Amazingly, today was specficially a recovery workout! But, I couldn't help myself and did a few bits of sprint.

400 warm up

4 x 200 pull
    ====> I did the first one, then lost interest. I put on a bunch of different equipment and swam easy or drills, so total was 200 and then 3 x 100's.

8 x 50 on 1:00
    kick/swim
    I used my Speedo Optimus fins;
    UW kick no breaths/swim easy

4 x150's swim or pull
    ====>That would be absolutely not.
    Me: 3 x 75 easy; 25 blast from a wall dive; fly/back/free
    Then: easy 100 free
    Grand Finale: 1 blast 50 from a wall dive
    truly a 29

6 x 50 on 1:00
    kick/drill odds
    swim/kick evens
    I used SO fins again and mixed free/fly/backs

50 easy

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That was extremely promising. I have rarely been under 30, and this one was solidly so. Now I just have to work it down to a 28 - that would be really good in workout. Best of all, it didn't kill me. I was accelerating (or at least, not wheezing in at the end) into the finish instead of completely dying and just trying to hang on. That said, I didn't really have another one in me. My turn doesn't feel super sharp; sort of "I hope it goes ok" instead of really "owning it!"

Next up:
    P90X tonight and tomorrow. Fridays I don't have to help with schoolwork so I feel so free. I'm going to do P90X then eat a bunch of junk food and watch TV. I've got wafer hazelnut cookies, Lays potato chips and Cheeto puffs. I may go up to Chinatown to get my moon cakes - double yolk red bean all the way!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fast IMs and back

by , September 6th, 2012 at 03:12 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Wow! Now i'm a posting fiend!

Today's workout!

400 warm up

12 x 50s on 1:00
    kick/drill
    I used Speedo Optimus fins, kick on tummy and fist drills

3 x 100 on 1:45
    1st IM
    2nd easy free
    3rd stroke (back)
    =>I wasn't sure what the program was, so decided to just go smooth - 1:26, 1:??, 1:30ish

4 x 150 pull on ??
    =====>>> That would be a big no. I did 4 x 25's from a dive off the wall, fast to the 12.5, attempting to get some height and get my body (feet) up and over the water on the dive.

3 x 100's on 1:45
    Ok, now it is clear what the theme is for the day!
    100 IM 1:20
    100 free recovery
    100 back 1:19
    Did these snappy without killing myself.

4 x 100 on 1:30
    ===>>>>No. I interpreted this set as rest up for another blasto set of 3.
    Did 4x 50 easy; 1 dive

100 IM 1:18
    100 free easy
    100 back 1:17

Easy 50 free

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This was pretty tough. Going from set 1 to 2 was pretty strong, but to eek out just a couple extra seconds was really tough on the 3rd set. Not bad IM times, given I haven't done much IM last year. I didn't even swim it in a meet last year. I might swim it this year. I think i'll keep the 100 back on the list as well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Tonight is meet the teacher night. I am excited to rotate around for my 6th grader's middle school schedule.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fast 25 frees!!!

by , September 6th, 2012 at 09:47 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I'll write this down here in my blog so's I don't forgets what I did:

bright lights and still no blocks

missed warmup

8 x 50 on :45
    => I warmed up on this

16 x 25 on :30
    2 fast w/6beat kick; 1 easy
    I know; it doesn't round to 16, but so what.

200 easy kick

10 x 50 pull or swim on :45
    => I went every other easy - savin' up for maybe another 25 free set comin' up! And if not, well, I didn't want to do 10 anyways.

12 x 25 on :30

200 easy kick

8 x 25 on :30

Easy 50

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Emphasis was on doing the 2 fast 25's with serious punch. The main focus was to have a super strong steady fast kick, so on those I went 100% legs/90% arms on #1 and 100%/100% on #2's, but holding the same time if possible. The 2nd 25 was the key 25. It's easy to do #1, but to hold on #2 is the back half of that 50 free. Also attention to breathing - ie, no breath or 1 breath which took great concentration before pushing off. I thought :30 was a bit tough with the breathing (self-imposed). If I were doing this set on my own, i'd do the easy on :45 and make a point of going no breath/1 breath on the 2 fast ones.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    This was a great workout for me. Just up my alley again!

++++++++++++++++++++++
    First day of my girls' Swimming Kidz program, so I did 30 min of yoga/stretching on my own during their workout.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. HOORAY! Back to SCM!

by , September 4th, 2012 at 03:20 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    HOORAY! Baylor pool re-opened today. It was annual maintainance, but I can't tell any difference in the pool. The lights are brighter from the ceiling, and the starting blocks are not back in yet.

Today was a stroke day, as Tues/Thurs are typically stroke/IM days at Baylor noon workouts.

400 warmup

Alright! Cut the fat and get right to business!!

Main set:

Three times through:

4 x 50 on 1:00
    fly/free
    =>Me: yes, I did these fly/free. Very solid on the 25 fly and smooth on the frees; about 39's.

200 pull
    =>Me: no. I went 150 easy kick with fins

middle 100 is IM
    =>Me: almost, but no. I did 50/100/50
    100s all fly, broken 5 sec at the 25's
    subtracted times: 1:13, 1:11, 1:09

I must say, this set was right up my alley today. I was quite excited about doing this fly set. A big key to going fast on the 100 fly was to go easy on the kick (pull part) and go easy 50's instead of the full 100's so I would be all rested up and ready to GO!

easy 50 recovery

6 x 75 kick on 1:40
    board and no fins
    just get through it after all that fast fly!

Yes, I have been daydreaming of skipping stuff while everyone else is swimming the back of half of 100's or more. I have been getting in a worse and worse mood from swimming full sets outdoors in LCM. Today I feel so reset after doing some 25's and from being able to hang on the wall more than anyone else. The blasto bits are totally fun!

I really have to work back into fly shape. I've done virtually no fly lately and in past years, i'd swim almost as much fast fly as free. So I guess lots of 25/5's and then introducing some 50's and building back up to a full 100. Actually, i'll probably just build back up to 75's and then hang on for the last 25 if and when I feel compelled to swim a 100 fly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. One fast 50 free

by , September 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Sunday, 09/02/12
    LCM, SMU Outdoor pool

I was feeling somewhat tired after the previous day's 3 x 100 fast effort. Although the main set was a good one for me, I didn't think it was a good one considering I had only one good 50 in me!

500 warm up
    ==>petered out at 400 and goofed off in the corner again.

12 x 50 kick on 1:00
    odds smooth
    evens 25 fast/25 easy
    Speedo optimus fins

100/200/300/200/100 pull
    ==>that would be a huge no. i went to the diving well and did:

4 x "25s" % increase
    4 x "25s" variables
    4 x running dives
    easy swims

then came back 1/2 way thru the main set of

12 x 50's, some easy some sprint

there was an empty lane, as the 10k people had just finished, so I took it. I did

3 x DIVES up to 25m

and then did a

FAST 50
    on coach's watch

Commentary: that did not feel so unpleasant. Knowing I was doing just one, with a coach starting me and using the stopwatch really helped. Sprinting more free has really helped, but I could have just as easily sat down in a lounge chair or taken a nap, so I wasn't really raring to go, but I made myself get up and go, like taking my medicine. I was pleased with my breath control (3 breaths) and that made a big difference in not thrashing at the end. But, again, it isn't a very fast time. It wasn't very inspired, either, just takin' care of business and coming down the pike at a good clip. I think I should target 28 mid for 50's done this way. And by that I mean my baseline, any-Sunday fast 50 time...that would ultimately put me in the mid to low/under 27 in meets. As the USA cut times get faster, I really need to get a stairstep faster!

Later: Did Back & Biceps X and Ab Ripper X. I substitute most of the back exercises for my swim bench.

Today: No swimming on Labor Day. I'll take a walk and do CoreX and my own stretching.

HOORAY! Baylor should be open tomorrow. Finally, back to clean fluffly towels and good shower pressure!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free

by , September 2nd, 2012 at 08:55 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    This is the last weekend in purgatory. I am making the best of our time away from Baylor and SCM noon workouts. Yesterday and today i'm swimming LCM workouts at SMU.

I decided to have a good positive attitude about the workout's main focus of 3 x 100s. While my attention span and internal clock are set to under :30, I made the most of it and tried my best!

Here is what we did yesterday:

800 warm up
    200 swim/pull/kick/swim
    ==>no. 800 was too much for me. I stopped at 600 and goofed around in the corner.

8 x 50 on 1:00 kick/drill
    I used my Speedo optimus fins. Drill was alternating scull or 1 arm; other arm at the side.

5 x 100's on your lane's interval plus 15
    (fastest lane started at 1:40; our lane rounded up to 2:00)
    slow
    medium
    FAST
    medium
    slow

1:35, 1:25, 1:11, 1:25, 1:35

QUESTION: is 1:11 a good time?

2 x 200 pull
    ==>no. I walked to the deep end and did 2 x DIVES PLUS BREAKOUTS

3 x 100 on same interval above
    slow
    medium
    FAST

1:30, 1:25, 1:11

QUESTION: same question.

6 x 50 on :55 recovery

1 x 100 all out

1:08 high according to coach. I would have said 1:09 flat so that makes sense.

QUESTION: is this a good time? I think it's solid, given I never swim a fast 100 LCM, and I haven't swum it in a meet since USMS Nationals, LCM in 1998 (and I did a 1:02 at that meet). If I even split, that 34.5s. Assuming that I didn't, then I would say a 32, 36 split seems reasonable. I doubt I went out any faster than a 32, maybe 31, but I could not have come home any slower than 36 or 37, which sounds quite good to me from a push 100.

I think my goal is to go 1:05 or even under in workout. That would mean a 30 or 31 but doing it with less effort, then coming back in 33 to 35. That seems a very reasonable and doable time with more LCM and comfort for a full 100.

But do I really care? Only if I decided to actually swim the 100 in a meet. It may be my bonus event, so maybe I should add it to the list.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I am not sure what will happen. I think there is some group that is going to be doing a 10k overlapping our workout, so I am resigned to squashed lanes and not doing what I want. I am prepared to just slog through yardarge, as there is no other swim option today (and doin' that 10k isn't one of them!!) and there's no workout tomorrow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    Should I do another full cycle of P90X or just order stupid Insanity now and stop talking about it? What is the meaning of life? How much do I need for retirement? Such are the questions I ask myself these days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Long time no blog!

by , August 30th, 2012 at 03:26 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I have 12 extra minutes before school pickup, so here it is!

Today:
    LCM, SMU on my own
    Baylor has been closed for 2 weeks due to annual maintainance.

400 warm up
    4 x 100 kick
    8 x 50 pull

4 x 50
    2 build
    2 as first and last 12.5 fast

easy 50

all out 50
    could be anywhere from 29 high to 33
    stupid clocks are not aligned and they aren't uniform (slow movement then a click up 3 seconds). if I had to guess, i'd round it to a 31.

easy 100

The End
    I am just going to ride out the off-schedule until Baylor pool opens again. I don't like swimming with a bunch of weirdos at SMU and there is always some lecher trying to talk to me and share my lane.

Great news! Baylor is finally going to screw everyone else over and have 1 uniform fee - $55 per month. The spread of "group rates" really turned a lot of people off. Some were paying $40 while I have been paying $85 for 20 years. Anyway, now everyone has to pay $55 and I get the reduced rate!

Other: I have been doing a mini-Insanity workout, which is 7 exercises for 30 seconds and you do it 3 times. I read it wrong the first time around and thoughtyou do 30 sec on 30 sec off with 30 sec between rounds. Boyw as that easy!Duh1 It was as little rest as possible, then 30 sec between rounds. I have modified to 30 sec on, 10 sec rest, 2 minutes between sets. I marvel at my modificationess.

See you later!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Starting focus on SCY season

by , August 5th, 2012 at 03:55 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I have put pen to paper and outlined my workout approach for the next season. Recall my longer term goal, assuming everything stays at steady-state of busyness, is that I will blast-o SCY USA in Oct/Nov/Dec, then switch to LCM for Austin Grand Prix (Jan) and Mesa Grand Prix (April) with any local USMS meets as they come along.

Since my event is really

50 free

and bonus tag-along events are

50's stroke
    100 free
    100 back
    maybe 100 fly but unlikey

and way out there new event is

200 back,

i'll be focusing all training on that 50 free.

Now, it is widely known that I customize most workouts. But it has been bothering me that I haven't been able to get in EXACTLY what I want to do, and thus began the "make-up" workouts on my own to fill in the blanks. I also rarely add up yardage, as that just isn't really a relevant factor for me. It's the time in the water and specific events. That said, I am limited to 1 hour per workout on average.

You may also recall I made the analogy of putting together the top ten greatest hits (ie, the top ten things that are critical to your race performance) and having to hit those without the luxury of "fluff stuff" you had as a college/age group swimmer. From 9 water workouts pushing 20 hours excluding weights to maybe 4 workouts a week at 1 hour each...one must choose wisely what to do!!!

So I put together a spreadsheet! Across the top are columns. There are 10 categories in this order:

1. STARTS (includes dives, reaction drills, visualization behind the blocks, breakouts up to 15 m);
    2. SPRINTS (this is a big category. includes race pace, conditioning sprint, back half sprints, power generation sprints - I may need to elevate several categories to their stand-alone number later);
    3. BREATH CONTROL (race, set control, lead up into);
    4. TURNS (isolated; accelarate to wall, speed, streamlining and line counts, breakouts);
    5. RECOVERY (yes, lots)
    6. KICK (all types)
    7. DRILLS
    8. PULL (all types)
    9. CONDITIONING SWIMMING (sets)
    10. MISCELLANEOUS FUN STUFF

Down the left side of the page are the days of the week, starting with Saturday. This is because the Sat/Sun outdoor at SMU workouts will be my "cornerstone" workouts for the week, and it is much easier to modify workouts during the week. That said, I did a great job of customizing them this week.

If you like yardage counts, I have roughly organized the amounts, but more as a very general and rough guideline - more like, how much "time", "yardage", or even "effort" I spend doing what. Not that the categories are mutually exclusive. More on that later.

Yardage lovers, here it is:
    Ideally I swim 4 x hour, average 3 workouts at 2,500 and 1 on my own at 1,500. That makes 9,000 a week, but considering that I don't always make 4x per week, let's round down to 8,000.

In categories 1-4, I estimate doing 2,000 per week. I've got the numbers by category and subs but that's way too boring for everyone to read about although I find it so fascinating myself. Recovery #5 is 1 for 1, so count that as 2,000. Kick is at least 1,500 (and that seems way too low!). That leaves 1,500 for Pull, Conditioning swimming, and miscellaneous fun other stuff.

So the key is to not fill up on crappy sets like, 10 x 100's on the 1:30 pull and then the next day do 6 x 200's pull and then other day 400/300/200/100 pull, etc....because the time spent on these sets eat up too much of my 1 hour, and they don't benefit my 50 free as much as categories 1-4. Now, I could do a set a week. And better to double up - such as doing a set with breath control - 3/5 and 3/7 by 50. Then it's not a total waste. But arguably, i'd be better off doing 8 x 25's underwaters, which is also breath control and kicking, and a category of sprint set as well! And when you are talking about limited time, you have to pick and chose. So.......

Today was a great example of my spreadsheet at work. Here was workout:

LCM, SMU outdoor

400 warm up

5 x 100's on 2:00
    25 kick/50 swim/25 kick
    emphasis on strong kick and really good turn with same kick off walls into breakout
    (so categories of kick/turns, conditioning swim)

50/100/150/200
    last 25 fast
    ==> no. did 4 dives + B/O 15m

Main set:
    4 rounds of 4 x 50's
    1 x 50 on 1:00
    1 x 50 on 1:10
    1 x 50 on 1:20
    1 x 50 on 1:30
    descend 1-3, easy on #4
    (this counted as sprint type set with bits of recovery, but probably just cite the set and put it under the sprint column)

100 easy

Yesterday part of the workout was 4 x 200's pull. That was incredibly annoying and I did 6 x Dives + B/o increasing to the 25. We just did a stupid 6 x 200 pull set on Monday. I didn't want to waste 15 minutes of my precious 60 minutes doing another pull set, but I did want to get in my 15-20 dives per week, so I did 6 to start off the week (and then 4 more today).

Now I must say if you are doing Hawaii or other open water swims or just wanting to do a conditioning workout, then the 200's pull are just for you. But not for me!

I was also really irked that the lane balked when I wanted to do this set on the 1:15 instead of the 1:00:

6 x 50's first and last 12.5 fast
    #7 at 80%
    #8 at 100%.

I felt that that was an ok conditioning sprint set, but I would rather have done them on 1:15 and 1:30 on #7 to really get up to a true 100%. I could only muster going about 92.5% but I could tell I had more in the tank. How can I get truly well-oiled sprint speed if I am having to press the interval too much? I still need to do my own sets, and you can bet this one is a fav on my list but i'll be doing it on at least 1:15's!!! I don't need the conditioning to turn around and come back, I just need the proper training to get to Elusive speed and drive it the last 12.5 meters of a 50 meter race. The machine gun empties at the 50. I don't need anything left in it at that point.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Has anyone been to Argentina or New Zealand for vacation? Any strategy on flights? We simply don't have the miles for first/biz class for 4 people. There are virtually no 62.5 mile options (Argentina), and only 100k but that would be 800k and we only have 275k now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Back from Pittsburgh!

by , July 31st, 2012 at 01:53 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It was a great vacation. We went to Kennywood and were so lucky to hit a 4 hour window with great weather! It rained a lot while we were there.

I swam on Monday when I got back. I didn't workout while I was there. So last workout before was Tues 07/24 and then back to the pool on Mon 07/30.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon workout

400 warm up

600 swim on 1:30 base
    ==>yes, I actually did this. It was so miserable and I lost count at the 150ish and was in agony of where the heck are we the rest of the time.

3 x 300's on 1:30 base
    ==>kicked 100 for each 150

6 x 200 on 1:30 base
    I pulled these! Held 2:32 and 2:31's on 5 of them then picked it up on #6 to go 2:28. That was very good, considering the time out from water and vacation.

6 x 50 kick on 1:00
    I just got thru these and did warm down on the last one.

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Not much else. Watching the Olympics. So much drama with surprises in all televised events.

Just in a holding pattern for the next 2 weeks, continuing doing the workouts with nothing really specific in mind. Breckenridge vacation coming up in 2 weeks. We'll be gone for an entire week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Monday on my own

by , July 23rd, 2012 at 11:28 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today was a very busy day so I did my own workout:

400 warmup

200 kick
    8 x 25 kick on :45 fast

200 pull
    4 x 25's with stretch cord
    catch the ride back
    these you have to do hard and fast

200 swim
    4 x 25's UW on :45
    4 x 15 sec on wall, into fast 25 no breath until the end (about 30 secs total) (1:15 each)

5 x dives + sprint to the 15;
    immediately climb out and walk back

extra minute, but not too long into..

1 x 50 from a dive
    31. sort of dissappointing, actually.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today I was not exactly peppy, and swimming at an odd time due to my schedule, so I was quite happy with making myself get up and out of the water on the dives, then finishing with a fast 50. It was not as fast as I would like, and I knew right away I simply didn't have the umph and speed, but it was a solid effort. Plus it is so hard to start yourself and know really when you left!

I can hardly wait for my trip to Pittsburgh! I take the girls every year, and we always go to Kennywood! A few weeks later we will go to Breckenridge and chowsh will join us this year. Then one more blow out at Great Wolf Lodge!!!

I am going to get my haircut, eyebrows waxed, and a massage as part of a spa gift certificate from xmas. It's actually been a pain to try to schedule it as it cuts into my TV watching on the weekends. I think i'd rather just get more exercise stuff!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sun LCM workout nonmodified again!

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 07:46 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I know, I know. I didn't modify the workout and it was kind of fun today - just my type of sprint day.

LCM, Sunday 9am practice

400 warm up

12 x 50's on 1:00
    kick/drill odds
    build evens

300/200/100 pull on 1:40 base
    sub 4:00, sub 2:40, 1:14ish
    buoy and green paddles. I had a blow out on the 300 so that one was quite fast, considering.

4 rounds of:
    4 x 50 in 1:15
    12.5 fast, 25 fast, 37.5 fast, 50 fast
    100 easy on 2:00

50's fast slowest was under 35, fastest was on coach's count at 32 high.

This last set I was quite proud of myself. It was acceptable times for now, but the biggest thing was the comfort of the swim. I didn't feel that uncomfortable, but wasn't quite acclimated to the entire LCM thing! It was also very difficult with this modest rest to have a really good breathe pattern on the all fast 50. I take 2 breaths in a race, but could only go the first 30+ and then it was a struggle due to wanting more air. Must work on that! I would like to be 32 to 30's and that would be very strong indeed.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Then later,

25 minute walk
    CoreX!

++++++++++++++++++++++
    I have decide my game plan for next season. All subject to change if I have to take extra cases or appointments, or something super busy family-wise. But, assuming the steady state of busy-ness, here it is:

Note that these are IDEALS:

SCY goal: 23.9 or less by 12/31/12 in USA meets (nontapered);

Enter & Swim Austin Grand Prix;
    if SCY/LCM format, make any final heat 27.5 or better LCM

Enter & Swim Mesa Grand Prix;
    assuming LCM format, 26.9 or better

My masters life? Swim whatever comes along, and my fav choices this year are (in this order):

1. 50 free - as fast as possible
    2. 100 free- see what I can do but i'm not killing myself
    3. 200 back - top ten 10 and for fun
    4. 50's of any other stroke to get my entry fee's worth

All events at Republic of Texas World Champs, if 3rd annual takes place.

Try to make top ten in at least 5 events to keep moving towards 200. I didn't swim any meets in LCM this year, and I don't mix my USA and USMS times, a personal thing. (I like to keep them separate).

+++++++++++++++++++++
    So now that I have my IDEAL goals, I have been rejuvenated and feel a more concrete sense of purpose and strategy for my workouts. I am "taking my medicine" of LCM right now, after years of squandering my talent and rarely swimming LCM, other than Sunday sprint days. But now my goal is to go Sats/Sundays, and maybe Wed sprint evenings for a whopping THREE LCM workouts per week for the entire year!!! That ought to help my 50 tremendously! It seems it might really work out well, as the key 3 are LCM, then I can go on my own and do SCM starts, turns, and very targeted sprint stuff 1 or 2 other days per week, or the stroke days (Tues/Thurs) during the day. I'd like to keep up with my P90X workouts:

PlyoX
    CoreX
    (or CardioX substitute if I am too tired)
    2 of the other 5 (rotate thru 4 arms and 1 leg X's) plus AbRipperX.

which makes 4x per week.

Was thinking to start Insanity on 01/01/13, but not sure whether to start then, or wait unti 07/01/13 (after my LCM season) and finishing up by 09/01/13? Depending on how I do by 12/31/12, i'll decide to either continue with current training, or whether I can try a new routine.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Losing my Modifying Touch

by , July 21st, 2012 at 07:54 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    What is wrong with me? I did the entire Saturday workout. Again! Well, I guess leading the lane you are rather committed. And they aren't used to my modifying shinanigans.

LCM, SMU outdoor pool

500 warmup
    did the entire thing!
    got to practice in plenty-o-time. amazing how lack of parking will incentivize me to show up early for a coveted free parallel parking space!

400 pull

5x 150 on 2:30
    this wasn't easy, but I only held 2:10 to a 2:03!

4 x 100 easy on 1:45

5 x 150 on 2:30
    swam #1 on 2:05
    kick with Speedo Optimus fins on back
    held 2:15ish to 2:10 on last one

2 x 100 easy

I was surprised I wasn't faster. But, it shows i'm not in the greatest of vanilla-set shape. I was thinking 40 base per 50 would be more like it, so I should be working towards starting nearer to 2:00 and then working down under for the fastest ones.

I can't even remember my "old" LCM paces. I haven't really swum LCM workouts other than sprint LCM days since circa 1998 before I was married. So a 40 base seems a key marker, seeming to be the equivalent of around a 37 SCM.. but it depends on the set as well....

Then....
    25 minute walk
    Plyo X!

and then....
    I cleaned all the bathrooms in the house, except for my husband's shower. Ran out of magic eraser pads, and I won't clean any shower without them now! I was going to get my girls to help, but I simply forgot and was on a roll with my cleaning routine.

Then....
    watched the Magnificent Ambersons for about the 8th time, and the ending to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which i've seen maybe at least 10 times now. There is nothing so thrilling as the human race getting kicked by the apes.

Next up:
    Sunday LCM workout! Will I do the entire workout again? Boy, that makes my posts super boring!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Another unmodified workout

by , July 20th, 2012 at 09:42 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It is ironic that the full workouts I have done are during Swim for Distance Month. Here was another good day, and my kind of "nonspecific conditioning" type of day:

(Recall Tue/Thurs are stroke days)

300 warmup

12 x 50's on 1:00
    4 x IM drill down/swim back
    4 x choice (I kicked with fins)
    4 x IM drill down/swim back

300 kick
    alt free/br/fly combo way too complicated to explain. we had to stop every 100 to ask the order again.

12 x 50's on :55
    same as above
    Pattern starting here....

300 pull
    50 back/50 free

12 x 50's on :50
    4 x free/IM
    4 x drill/free
    4 x free/IM

I think I am missing something, but this is the meat of it.

For some reason, fly is really uncomfortable these days. This used to be the only stroke that felt pretty good but now it feels bad - and not just because i'm not in the best of fly shape. So today's drill/swim was just right.

Later.....25 min walk and Chest & Back X + Ab Ripper X!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Today: at Creditors' Meetings. 39 Debtors today a light docket.

Bye!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Utterly Flabbergasted - I did D-Workout!!!

by , July 15th, 2012 at 08:44 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Not sure how this happenned or why. I actually did and lead the entire distance workout on Saturday. Recall it is Swim for Distance Month

LCM, SMU outdoor pool

500 swim/kick/swim/kick/swim
    Unbelievably, I did this entire thing.

3 x 300
    kick/swim with fins
    there was an interval, i forgot it now, but whatever it was, i did it.

3x 300 pull 5:00 (1:40 base)
    paddles and buoy.
    held 1:20 average; final time 4:00
    ***I can see the attraction. It was like cheating I was going so fast!!!!

400/300/200/100 1:40 base
    swim
    descend each one
    I was pretty pooped at the end, and did a 1:17. ouch!

The End

Then......25 minute walk
    Followed by.......CoreX!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last night TV was really bad and I wasn't in the mood for any of my DVR'd stuff and too lazy to pop in any videos, so I watched infomercials for Insanity and Jillian what's her names workout videos. I must say, those infomercials are quite effective. Now I am trying to decide which one to buy, but I think the answer is to ask for Insanity for xmas (so I can start it 01/01/13) and buy the Jillian one for my sister. I like the marketing - Insanity is for those already in really good shape (meatheads) and Jillian is for Biggest Loser fans and overweight people. Not that chowsh is either (she's a mini version of me), but the fact that it's 30 minutes - that is quite appealing!!! I also like that they say there is no equipment in Insanity. And it's 40 minutes, which will feel really short compared to P90X at 1 hour+ with ab ripperX . That makes for good travel DVD's and I can do them downstairs in the bedroom. Currently, I can only do cardioX and plyoX without equipment (I don't do the kenpoX one).

Today I am going to LCM workout again. I am worried the coach is going to force me to move to the 1:30 base lane. I much prefer additional rest and to put some punch into my speed, along with increasing the degree of difficulty (working on breath pattern, for example). that extra 10 seconds makes a huge difference. I think 1:40 is my swim number (get it? like sleep number bed, haha!)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wed, 07/11/12

by , July 11th, 2012 at 03:39 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    The most exciting thing is how my girls did at the summer league championship meet. Here are the results, they are in A division, and you'd have to know their last name since it isn't Chow.

www.dmswim.com

Anyway, they both made all stars and did great, IMO. Next up: All stars!

Today I swam the noon workout. I have changed my mind (yes, again!) and now I am enjoying Swim for Distance month. There is so much yardage that doing exactly 1/2 is just the right modification for me.

SCM, Jim Montgomery on deck

Warm Up:
    300 swim
    200 kick
    ===>no, i really goofed around. I did a dive, then some stroke, then a few fast turns. maybe 300 total?

Transition set:
    10 x 50's on :55
    done as 2 sets of 5, count strokes and drop 1 each time.

Main set: all on the 1:30 per 100 pace
    100 strong ==>50/10/50 1:08
    100 moderate
    100 strong ==>50/10/50 1:07
    200 moderate
    100 strong ==>50/10/50 1:06
    300 moderate
    100 strong ==>50/10/50 1:04
    400 moderate
    ***extra 1:30 rest
    100 strong ==>4x25, 5 sec 1:00
    300 moderate
    100 strong ==>3x25, 5 sec :45
    200 moderate
    100 strong ==>50 all out 29.8 coach's watch
    100 moderate

I worked the 100's broken and the 75, and 50. The moderate stuff I did every other 50 easy. So doing 1/2 of the moderate stuff was just the right rest for me!

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Ok, that was a really good workout for me. Really making the opportunity to swim fast and not wait until sometime mid season to push the 1:00 barrier/under 50 for a push 50. Next up: get solidly under 1:00/28/range.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    And now, off to pick up lunch at Roti Grill. Lamb korma, Texas sized portion!!!

Updated July 11th, 2012 at 04:07 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Sunday, 07/08 LCM

by , July 8th, 2012 at 07:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I went to the Sunday SMU LCM 9am workout and braced myself for a July Swim for Distance Workout. It wasn't too bad since there were only a few people in the lane and I had lots of clear space to do dives.

500 warmup
    ==>no, 200 was enough.
    and an inside joke for chowsh, "not enough! not enough!"

12 x 50 on 1:00
    kick/drill/swim

ok, so here is my huge pet peeve, not swimming with most of these folks at Baylor noons. anyone not using a kickboard was essentially doing 1 arm drills on the kick, and swimming on the drill. to top that off, the guy next to me was leaving 2 seconds early. not a shade or 1 second early, like 2 seconds as in his wind up started nearly at 4 seconds till. it drove me CRAZY!!!

Main set:

2 times through:
    3 x 100's
    6 x 50's
    ============>no. absolutely not. skip conditioning and go straight to speed work. for the rest of the year.

Set 1:
    My main emphasis was during the 400's
    4 x dives + 12.5's to 25's
    2 x 100's fly drill
    6 x 50 easy

Set 2:
    2 x fast 50's from a dive.
    Coach said I did 31's but I thought it was slower. Boy was that hard!!! I am totally out of LCM shape.

2 x 100 fly drill
    4 x 50 fly drill

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, that was totally better than doing 2 x 400's. I really got a better feel for my dives from the SMU blocks, which have more of a universal slope than the relatively flat Baylor blocks.

I swam on Friday, and did mix 25's and some with my monofin, and the main set was 6 dives with plenty of rest. The last one I did as a full 50 and went 30 flat, quite possibly a 29 as I was in mid air said to myself, "crap, I left late." but, i didn't see a 29, so i don't count as it such.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I was extremely tired from Friday to now. For the very FIRST time, I actually stopped the P90X tape midway on Saturday. I have NEVER done that before. I will not swim tomorrow, and probably not on Tuesday, due to my kids' summer swim league divisionals.

Here are their events, SCY:
    11 yr old 50 free 34; 100 IM 1:24; 50 fly 40
    10 yr old 100 IM 1:33; 25 back 19; 25 fly 20

The important thing is they are swimming the 100 IM, and I think that is the best bang for your summer league bucks and get to swim all 4 strokes and that's good practice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Going to Pittsburgh in less than 2 weeks. Then going to Breckenridge in one month. I may swim with my brother or my old club team while home in Pittsburgh, but maybe not. Will watch the Olympics!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Report from Omaha

by , July 5th, 2012 at 11:49 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    See the forum entry I made earlier today for most of the Trials commentary. It's in one of the 2012 Olympic Trials threads.

Anyway, it was worth going to see in person. We stayed at the Element (Westin) hotel, and it was nice. The bed was quite plush and the breakfast buffet was good. The room had a kitchenette, not just a micro & fridge. It was a full size fridge, dishwasher, sink, micro, and stove. There is a grocery store on the other side of the hotel, and you can get to it through the garage or thru the hotel and 2 elevator banks. The nice thing is they have Boar's head deli meats even though I didn't make a sandwich this trip. And they had everything else!

I was enamoured with Omaha and how they really laid out the red carpet for the Trials. USA swimming, for once, seems to realize what works and what they should be looking for. The mid-size city model works really well - and it seemed all of Omaha was really welcoming for Trials attendees. They also need seating capacity for 10k+ people, yet they also note that they have to have the facility dedicated for the entire month before trials (for a test run meet, such as the Omaha invitational). And cities that aren't really big swim-cities are not excluded - again, I point out that they filled to 9k+ prelims and 12k++ finals in Omaha! It's not like they have to go back to Long Beach for the "build in market".

I personally would like to see it back in Omaha, but I think that's less likely, since it seems they also want to move it around the country. I don't have any particular preference.

They should announce location in spring of 2013. I would prefer to stay in a walking distance hotel. Having to drive and park was too much for prelims/finals, particularly since certain members wanted to stay for the entire thing at night, where I would have been happy to escape right after the last actual swim and be in my jammies by 8pm and watching TV. Maybe even swimming on TV, but the point is i'd be in my comfy bed with snacks. I really don't care to watch the awards ceremonies or hear Summer Sanders interview people. For those of you who stayed home, you got way better inteviews. Way way better.

Now, what have I been doing? I'm doing the P90X's that I like, and nothing really specific since I have 2 more vacations coming up. I'm also trying to stay in good speed shape. It's a bit unrealistic to be in the best sprint shape, since I am not consistent enough even for that. My joints are still really tight from sitting so much at Trials, so I am not doing dives right now. But, I am keeping up my speed rather well.

Tuesday, 07/03
    Even after getting up at 3:45am and flying back, then going straight to work, I made the noon workout! The main set was:

4 rounds:
    4 x 25 on :30
    50 on 1:00
    100 fast on 2:30

I could not do the 4 x 25's fast AND the 100's fast. That set just didn't work for me. So I did smooth on the 25's and the 50, then descended on the 100's:
    1:13, 1:10, 1:10, 1:08
    So essentially I was doing strong 100's on the 5:30. Someone check my math.

Wed, 07/04
    Walk 30 minutes
    P90X Shoulders & Arms, Ab RipperX

Thurs, 07/05

300ish warm up

3 x 200 no interval
    50 kick/50 drill fly/50 kick/50 drill free

50/100/150/200/250/250/200/150/100/50 pull on :45 base
    ===>no. It is Swim for Distance Month and i can spot those sets a mile away. Get it, hahaha!!! I did every other 50 with paddles held backwards (maybe this is what is called turtles)

Main swim set:
    16 x 50's
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (kick with fins)
    4 x 50 on :50 easy swim
    4 x 50 on :40 very strong. held high 33's/34's but never hit 35
    4 x 50 on 1:00 just go easy really no interval

The challenge set was my most awesome ever. I have never held under 35's so commandingly. I went 2nd/last and gave 10 seconds. However, I think I should shoot for 32-33's, and be able to do a serious challenge set on the :35's and still come in right at the 2:20 total elapsed time. That would be a huge stairstep interval but I think I can do it. If I keep feeling this strong and in control, even with being tired, then I think I might try the 100 free again this year, and not as a joke event.

I have had to modify due to it being Swim for Distance Month. I don't think i'm even going to sign up for a t-shirt. You have to average 4 workouts a week plus a mileage goal. The 4x per week is a deal killer. I do not like swimming that many workouts a week. I will continue with gearing up for one really good set each time I swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Last workout before Omaha!

by , June 27th, 2012 at 03:06 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It's been awhile, but here's a blog post to tie you over until Omaha commentary!

Jim Montogomery on deck
    No, he isn't going to Trials. He has jury duty.

300 warm up
    ==> I did about 200

300 pull
    ==>no, did 3 x 50's pull

300 kick

200 swim
    200 pull
    200 kick
    Yes, I had to lead these and boy was that miserable.

100 swim
    100 pull
    100 kick
    Yes, I lead again and this wasn't so bad

Main set:
    4 rounds
    100 moderate 1:30
    50 build :45
    2 x 25 's on :25
    1 easy 50 no interval

I did the first round, but this set wasn't working for me. It was too fast before the 25's and I felt I wasn't getting anything out of the set so I did this for the last 3 rounds:

100: no, easy 50
    50: smooth 50
    2 x 25's: broken 50 25/5/25
    times: 31 31 30very flat

That was a decent set, and times that would be good "in season". But alas, the sub :30 still eludes me. I did not actually see the 9, so I don't count it as a 29 even though it might have been, since there is a delay from finish to looking at the clock. I don't count it as 29 unless i see it. Emphasis was going as smooth but fast as possible on the 1st 25, then blast it on the 2nd 25.

Next up: Pack for Omaha!

For some reason I have been craving beans - black beans, refried beans, sweet bbq beans, you name it. What do you think this means? I probably need the protein?

Ice cream:
    Soft serve vs. traditional. the nice thing about soft serve in a cake cup is how it's all perfectly mushed into the bottom bee-hive area. (That is, as long as you don't move the cone as the soft serve is being packed in.) The problem with some of the traditional ice cream is if they don't fill up the bottom first, then you have to very carefully lick-down the ice cream and jam it into the bottom while also licking the ice cream. The muffin top adds anxiety when I eat it because it could either melt or fall off. With soft serve, you only have to stick out your tongue, and twirl the cone around to keep the ice cream squarely centered in the cone with no drip areas.

One way to solve this is to get the upgraded waffle cone, then your ice cream is safely nestled inside the waffle. But it is still a race against the clock, as it may drip out the bottom when you have a pointy cone. Drumsticks are awesome for this reason, since they inject that chocolate stopper at the bottom.

Next up: Funnel cake and other delights in Omaha!!

Updated June 27th, 2012 at 11:52 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Wednesday, 06/20 workout

by , June 21st, 2012 at 10:45 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Yesterday I made workout again!

Jim Montgomery coached

400 warm up
    ==> 250 instead

8 x 75 pull on 1:10
    ==>4 x 75's with paddles & buoy
    53 53 51 50(veryflat but I didn't see goal time 49)

4 times thru:
    50 easy kick
    3 x 25 fast kick on :30
    no equipment
    started at 25 then down to 21/22 on last set. goal: 20flat and under

Choice of equipment - this miffed me. It was deliberately so that the PBA's could use equipment on a swim set. Geez, we already did a pull set first already!

300 "good" on 4:30
    2 x 200 "better" 3:00
    3 x 100 "best" 1:45
    This is Jim's kind of sets. He likes the mid-D.
    ===>no.
    In lieu of the 300:
    3 x 50's fly drill (every other 50 in the 300)

In lieu of the 200's:
    4 x 50's on 1:30 done as:
    12.5 fly sprint/easy
    25 fly sprint/easy
    37.5 fly sprint/easy
    50 fly sprint
    :36 on the last one, which is shockingly slow but incredibly painful. Yours truly could do these pretty comfortably at 32/33 in other seasons. Not sure why so slow and painful. Perhaps just need to build back up to it. New goal: 35 range and under. Then we'll set the next goal back to 32/33's.

In lieu of the 100's:
    3 x dive 25's; choice of to 12.5 or 25 fast
    walk back and wait for next 1:45.
    This was a bit tricky diving in at the end of the lane and moving enough from the middle to not barge into the first person.

50 easy

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Swedish fish:
    I am really into swedish fish. I ate almost a whole bag (the size that hangs on the rack with the Life Saver gummies, Black Forset gummies,, etc and other candy in the chewy category). Although they probably make them at the same plant, the large size ones are far superior to the double large bag of small swedish fish. The small ones you have to put 2 in your mouth, like the old flouride swabs, in each cheek. You only get one satsifying chop before it's split in two. The big ones are great. They fill your entire mouth and you can just rest, super lazy and not have to chew or anything. Then you can swivel them around in your mouth and make a swedish fish retainer and cover your entire teeth, slowing turning the swedish fish into a swedish eel. In the event you accidentally almost swallow one, it is so large that the tail usually is still stuck in your throat and you can pull it back up.

Next up: Thoughts on ice cream vs. soft serve.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast